6.8

Mixed or average reviews- based on 2046 Ratings

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Mar 28, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game would deserve 10 stars if it would allow the player to skip the story scenes. The game dynamics, the visuals are one of the best you can see today. Sending your furry friend Boomer taking down the bad dudes is a great fun and the coop-player mode is very much enjoyable. The coop mode succeeds in an area where many other games with coop mode fail, the game dynamics promotes the cooperation.

When it comes to the story, it is awful. The main evil talks religious stuff, then he sings, talks more religious stuff and this goes on and on. After few minutes, you just want this to be over and be able to go and play. After you bought the game, you literally watching 15 minutes of story before able to fire your first shot. 15 minutes that could be squeezed in 2, and no skip button!
    Before you can play in coop mode, you need to climb a tall tower, maybe fall few times and die. A good game intro should teach you the game dynamics. I can't believe that the best they can come up with is to show that falling from great heights is bad for your health.
  2. May 6, 2018
    The way a story is told is an important element of the overall experience of any story-based medium. This game harasses you when you are trying to explore the open world, with unskippable cutscenes, and the open world is so full of enemies, every vehicle you drive by is an enemy that will instantly recognize you, and then chase you to the end of the earth, meaning you will be in aThe way a story is told is an important element of the overall experience of any story-based medium. This game harasses you when you are trying to explore the open world, with unskippable cutscenes, and the open world is so full of enemies, every vehicle you drive by is an enemy that will instantly recognize you, and then chase you to the end of the earth, meaning you will be in a motorized gun fight any time you decide to go anywhere. The story may not be bad, but the way in which it is told is not enjoyable. It tries to force fun on the player instead of letting the player find what is fun about the game. There are a few side activities to choose from, but none of them are well crafted - I didn't bother to try the fishing because I'm not paid to review games, and fishing doesn't interest me - but the side activities I tried - racing, hunting, and side quests - went from mildly interesting to repetitive after just a couple of tries. If you are not a fan of repetitive gameplay, or far cry 4, I don't recommend this - and even if you are, it's not like it's so different, or that the story is so compelling that you should buy it. Wait till it's in the bargain bin, when the community will have finished creating decent multiplayer maps - since the devs didn't make a single multiplayer map - and then buy it. Expand
  3. Mar 27, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, I was excited to finally be able to play as a girl, but... the character customization options are abysmal. The gameplay is.... good, but nothing revolutionary. Nothing new or exciting. The graphics are... alright, I guess. The main villain is boring. Nothing much else to say about him. The story is pretty ridiculous mainly in the fact that as soon as you are thrown into it your character is like "Yup I will totally do the most illogical thing in the world and help build a resistance from within instead of letting the National Guard do their job." Expand
  4. Mar 28, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I pretty much never write reviews, but I'll make an exception for Far Cry 5.

This game had so much potential, but it is squandered by a complete lack of effort from Ubisoft to actually make a solid game.

The main story is so unbelievably dull and unsatisfying that it makes this game feel hollow and a waste of time. After finishing the game, I just wish I had never purchased it in the first place.

It's sad, because the core gameplay is very polished now. The Dunia Engine makes movement and combat extremely fun, the random events are interesting, and the motion capture and animation and lighting is all terrific. The game also runs well, and there are only a few bugs here and there.

But... all of that is overshadowed by how terrible the actual story is, and by how uninspired the game plays out. You don't even really work your way through the main story. Random boring cut-scenes are triggered based on a "reputation meter" for each region of the game. Doing random things, like freeing prisoners, killing bad guys, and doing side missions slowly increases this meter and once it hits a checkpoint you are pulled out of the game into a boring cut-scene for 3-5 minutes. These cut-scenes are usually just close-ups of the main bad guys faces with really boring dialog. You are continually captured and released for these events and it was just very poorly thought out and implemented.

Add to that the fact that there is no choice in this game. Your actions don't change the endings. You just choose one of the two endings and that's it.

The worst part is that you are never given a chance to kill the main bad guy (Joseph). None of the endings allow this. And once you've completed the game, it just puts you back to where the last mission is not completed so you can do it over to play both endings. You can't actually ever "end" the game and play in a world where Joseph has been taken care of.

I really wish Ubisoft would take pride in what they create, but Far Cry 5 once again proves that they will just keep churning out game after game without any care for the content. They just want to milk these game engines for every last penny.
  5. Mar 28, 2018
    Sigh..... I'm trying so hard to like this game but the more I play this the more I feel this game was over hyped. Everything just feels so lame. There are a few tweaks but it's not enough to make the game feel fresh. The driving still sucks, The guns lack any kind of punch, the enemy a.i is fucckin dumb....Hopefully they cant patch this , but uhhh yeah you can buy it if you wish but ISigh..... I'm trying so hard to like this game but the more I play this the more I feel this game was over hyped. Everything just feels so lame. There are a few tweaks but it's not enough to make the game feel fresh. The driving still sucks, The guns lack any kind of punch, the enemy a.i is fucckin dumb....Hopefully they cant patch this , but uhhh yeah you can buy it if you wish but I was a bit disappointed. And this is coming from a fan of the series from the pc days. Expand
  6. Mar 27, 2018
    Since Far Cry 3 I've been a huge fan of the series. With Far Cry 4, you basically got another FC3 in a different setting and even Primal was a nice spin off, but the series was slowly losing focus. With Far Cry 5, the game reboots some different core aspects and adapts it to the current setting.

The game is set in 2017 in a fictional town somewhere in Montana. As always, you have to liberate territories, capture outposts and hunt the big bad guys. There are some key changes in FC5:

- No more crafting utility belts or pouches. Instead, you have challenges. For every challenge you gain skill points, which can be spent for an additional weapon slot or new moves. The only thing you can craft are temporary boosts. Unlike in Primal, the skilltree is meaningful and thought through.

- Money is more important than everything else in this game. For completing quests and looting places or bunkers, you gain money which can be spent on weapons, weapon upgrades, clothing, cars, boats, helicopters and even airplanes - most of them are very expensive. A lot of those can be unlocked through missions though, so don't spend all your money on them..

- Hunting still is a thing, not that much important as in the previous games, but you need to hunt for good money.

- There are plenty of fishing spots, with different fish to catch, which can be sold for additional cash.

- You begin with an empty map, so you have to start from scratch. You either uncover it through exploring, or by collecting minimaps which show the location of different animals, collectibles or fishing spots.

- You have a lot of sidequests you get from people around the world.

- There are 9 main companions who will help you throughout the game, but you also have an additional slot for random people you can hire. Every one of them is specialized on one specific weapon type and gives you two additional perks.

- There is no pay to win. Microtransactions, yes, but only cosmetics. You can buy the ingame currency for faster progress, but you won't need it ever.

- Theres a new mode called "Arcade", where players can play solo or coop on mostly user generated maps. It also comes with a map editor which can be challenging at first, but has a lot to offer for creative minds. Ubi promised constant updates to improve the objects. Arcade is bound to your campaign, so every skill you unlocked, can be used in arcade.

Its a lot of fun exploring hope county with your companions, different vehicles and weapons. Shooting and driving is very smooth. The only thing that bugs me a bit is the stupid and predictable KI. Even your followers tend to illogical decisions, so hopefully ubi will patch that.

Another thing thats really annoying is coop. You have to play with someone from your friendslist. There is no joining random coop sessions.
  7. Mar 27, 2018
    Ok, so the story is meh and the characters are a bit uneven, but the actual gameplay itself is simply fantastic. The way the side content unfolds in the game world and the variety of missions in the main campaign is top notch. Although the weapon variety could be better, the gunplay and combat are as good as they have ever been in the series.

If you're looking for some deep

If you're looking for some deep philosophical engagement then you aren't going to find it here. However, if you just want a spectacular open world with loads of interesting content then you're in luck.

I haven't had a chance to really check out the coop or arcade mode, but from poking around a bit they both appear to be meaty additions that will add some more longevity to the title.
  8. Mar 27, 2018
    The absolutely best one in the franchise so far. Stunning graphics, incredible gameplay (it never felt so good to shoot people and ride vehicles!) and a very interesting story with charismatic characters. Finally, Montana is so beautiful I can't believe it. 10/10 for me.
  9. Mar 27, 2018
    Generic and predictable. It's really just another rehash of the Far Cry series that's not really remarkable enough to be interesting.

Money is important and you don't get anywhere near enough from gameplay. Serious grinding required to experience the full range of vehicles and weapons unless you want to pay for shortcuts through its insidious micro-transaction system. The game is

The game is Infested with micro-transactions and not worth buying as a result. Yes you can play it without spending extra money but it feels like your being hamstrung from the start without spending more money than you have already paid for the game. Wait until it's a fraction of the price on sale.

Further cash grab, in addition to the micro-transactions in game - Day one DLC and season pass on top of your full price game.

3/10 for looks only...looks great, shame it's so anti-consumer.
  10. Mar 27, 2018
    Very generic and boring. It's just far cry 3 for the 5(!!) time now, just in a different stetting.
  11. Dec 9, 2018
    No soy muy fan de la saga y la verdad es que no esperaba mucha novedad con este nuevo Farcry. No obstante, lo que he jugado me ha gustado mucho: historia, personajes, gráficos, tiroteos... Espero no tener que cambiar mi review en el futuro.
  12. Mar 27, 2018
    Basically the same as Far Cry 4, However, Far Cry 4 is the same as Far Cry 3, The story is also bad
  13. Mar 28, 2018
    Like watching paint dry...

Like watching paint dry...

The story is so blah and inconceivably unbelievable (yes, it's Far Cry, but 3 was excellent and engrossing, and 4 okay), that it's hard to immerse yourself into the world. It's supposed to be this newly formed area within some state in America that is government land, yet the government/nobody is doing anything about it because they are too scared of the cult?????

You fly in, in a helicopter, at the beginning of the game, and it's all about getting out of the area to get the national guard, yet you find a helicopter within the game and can't fly it beyond the "limit" of the game area... WTF?

Anyway, gameplay mechanics are the same as usual, which are good, but being the 5th installemnt into the series, it's starting to feel very old.

8 hours in and I couldn't care less about continuing... :(
  14. Mar 27, 2018
    Same, Same but a little bit different. Basically the same as Far Cry 4 but with a few tweeks to make you think that it's a different game. I played this for about 8 hours and it sadly feels the same as the last instalment. The graphics are probably the best thing about his game.I have just finished Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 and in comparison this game is just way too easy. I will beSame, Same but a little bit different. Basically the same as Far Cry 4 but with a few tweeks to make you think that it's a different game. I played this for about 8 hours and it sadly feels the same as the last instalment. The graphics are probably the best thing about his game.I have just finished Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 and in comparison this game is just way too easy. I will be returning this game to EB within the week and getting a preorder for Dark Souls Remastered! GG Expand
  15. Aug 17, 2018
    An overall disappointment the Far Cry series continues downhill with Far Cry 5. FC5 removes everything that made Far Cry great: hunting is now pointless as the meats can only be sold for cash, no radio towers are removed and with the main character being a mute how is it possible to care for his motivations and the story oh yeah and and microtransactions, really Ubisoft? in a single playerAn overall disappointment the Far Cry series continues downhill with Far Cry 5. FC5 removes everything that made Far Cry great: hunting is now pointless as the meats can only be sold for cash, no radio towers are removed and with the main character being a mute how is it possible to care for his motivations and the story oh yeah and and microtransactions, really Ubisoft? in a single player game? that's low. Expand
  16. Apr 28, 2018
    Far Cry 5 is very much your typical Ubisoft open world adventure. Huge map, lots of repetitive tasks to do and things to collect. Although it's a little smarter on how it presents this information to you, it's still largely the same. Not to say this is a bad mark on the game but it’s provides nothing new to the table.

The story is weak and the characters didn't do much for me either.

The story is weak and the characters didn't do much for me either. The game forcibly takes you away from its open world many times to play its story, even when you are doing something else like another side quest for instance. You can be in the middle of taking with an NPC and it will pull you out. It becomes incredibly irritating.

The combat is extremely satisfying and there’s a lot of different ways on how you can approach a task. You can take it from the air, silently, or guns blazing... the game won’t penalize you whatever the case although the AI could be a lot more forgiving when it comes to stealth.

Arcade mode you can give a pass, the competitive multiplayer is barely functional and the maps are not very fun to play.

Overall, this is an ideal podcast type game. It's a serviceable game. It’s a lot of the same tasks throughout but the combat makes it fun to do so it might just be enough to tide you in, just don’t expect anything more than what you've already come to expect from an Ubisoft open world title otherwise you’re going to be left disappointed.
  17. Dec 1, 2018
    It's an EXCELLENT game! With great graphics, gameplay, characters, history and one of the best villains I've ever seen! For sure the best game of the year! We want more Ubisoft!
  18. Aug 11, 2018
    This one is a bit tricky to review without any spoilers but let me start out by saying that there is some fun to be had in this game

Pros: -Like I said there is some fun to be had here either from the missions or something for you to do off on your own -Almost everything you do contribute to the end game which works well with the openness of the world -Some action pack moments

Pros:

-Some action pack moments that fans from previous Far Cry games can enjoy

- Is welcoming to newcomers, some mechanics stick but newcomers can still enjoy the game-play and the world just as much as the fans of previous Far Cry

Cons:
    -The characters are often forgettable, there is a lot of characters in Far Cry 5 and I would often forget most of them because they were either uninteresting or didn't do much for me to remember them (just in a few cut scenes or quest givers)

-This is going back to characters but I think it is important to point out that the villains in the game can also be boring copy of one of the "final boss" traits which only makes the only interesting one the "final boss"

-There is some repetition in the game, I remember how the first time I finished a mission and I wondered what other challenges the game held for me only to find out that I would be doing similar missions with only a small variation of enemy type about 20 more times

-Some of the gun balancing may need tweaking for I pretty much blasted trough the game with a silenced sniper, a rpg, and a random third option normally a shotgun but most of the other guns either fall in to not consistent and or enough damage, or not enough range to be useful in a fight

-The AI may need some work as well because I can be sneaking around and my ally would start running to go shoot an enemy 100 meters away (and yes the hunter ally)

But overall I had some fun and these were just my opinions from my time in the game
  19. Nov 13, 2018
    I gave it 1 to balance the views because this games is a 6 at best.

The story is mediocre until the ending but then it becomes horrible, a Mass Effect 3 type of nightmare. The gameplay was okay for the most part but still not good. You will punch enemies in the leg accidentally instead of a take down, you are going to jump up and down in front of a window because the system has no
    I gave it 1 to balance the views because this games is a 6 at best.

The gameplay was okay for the most part but still not good. You will punch enemies in the leg accidentally instead of a take down, you are going to jump up and down in front of a window because the system has no idea what you would like to do (climb in). The AI has an extra chromosome and will not give you any second to relax.

Do yourself a favor and do not buy this game.
  20. Apr 15, 2018
    7/10 looks like fair aggregate score but I hate scores, so here's my review

STORY: very weak, they obviously tried to recapture FC3 and FC4 villains but they failed. You - your character, is again, boring and uninteresting silent protagonist. For Far Cry it's fine, since I know as a fan, that's OK for other fans too, but they REALLY did not invent anything new here. It's too safe, no
    7/10 looks like fair aggregate score but I hate scores, so here's my review

You - your character, is again, boring and uninteresting silent protagonist. For Far Cry it's fine, since I know as a fan, that's OK for other fans too, but they REALLY did not invent anything new here. It's too safe, no crazy missions, no crazy subplot or moments, very uninspiring story that does not show you anything impactful. Side characters are OK, Nick is probably the best as the extra missions with him are quite fun.
    Critics are giving too high score. Paid by Ubisoft, I assume.

MECHANICS: It's a solid build up and mix of FC4 and Primal. I really like the mechanics. Game looks great on PS4 but no 60fps is just not acceptable and I will repeat this as many times as needed. We have xbox one x and ps4 pro capable of 4K but we can't do 60 even at 720p? cmon.
    Overall mechanics are good, apart from kidnaping part. I am glad to see no more XP bar!
    P.S Physics are not great though, even Far Cry 2 had better engine
    REPLAYABILITY: very small. They changed the way you do missions and side missions, some of which are long, but most are short. By playing 3-4 h a day, you can finish everything in 7-10 days.
    Despite it being open world - there is little to find and explore. Obviously no cities. Only 1 town and very small. No fortresses

ARCADE MODE and MP: amazing potential, but at current state? It's a f-ing joke. MP maps are one of the worst. People recreate Nuketown from Call of Duty and maps from other games and they play nothing but that! You hardly can match up to play other maps, there is no playlist. I really hope they update it to fix all of these. In this current state, it's an unfinished, rushed thing.

TLDR: game is fun, expected better story.
    You can find full review and discussion here - https://redd.it/896h8j
  21. Jul 17, 2018
    Story is a CRAP, waste of ideas and money. I hate all those close-to-your-face-1-person-view main hero speeches!

Main characters are so annoying that I only missed the oportunity to kill them and not to listen to the mad crap they were talking. Other then that, game is a bunch of fun! Graphics is good and side quests are really fun. So if you are looking for fun game, that can eat

Other then that, game is a bunch of fun! Graphics is good and side quests are really fun. So if you are looking for fun game, that can eat your 20 hours or life or more, and you are not interstes in a good and uniqe story - have a try. And as a new Far Cry game it's not a bad choice!
  22. Nov 6, 2018
    Any shooting/archery game will get from me 50% of the rating for lacking gyro aiming. The PS4 is with us since 2013, the controllers are awesome but nobody uses the gyro aiming. I just get frustrated for most of the game to try shoot something when it's so easy to add the damn gyro aiming and make it 10 times better with so little effort. When you get used to aiming close to properly theAny shooting/archery game will get from me 50% of the rating for lacking gyro aiming. The PS4 is with us since 2013, the controllers are awesome but nobody uses the gyro aiming. I just get frustrated for most of the game to try shoot something when it's so easy to add the damn gyro aiming and make it 10 times better with so little effort. When you get used to aiming close to properly the freaking game is over.

It's a typical Far Cry game with most of the same Far Cry stuff in it. For the most part, as most of the other Far Cry games it's about an 8/10 but I can't stand the amount of laziness that goes into most recent games, including this one. I'll update my score when and if they ever patch the game with proper environment destruction and gyro aiming, but as it stands 4/10 => aka lame and lazy when talking about a game that can be easily made one of the very good games of this generation with jut a bit of love and care for the consumers.
  23. May 7, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The setting in western Montana is by far and away the best part of this game. The graphics and game play are average but the story and the ending are horrible. Your character is constantly kidnapped and captured by the 4 bosses and there is nothing that you can do about it. the fact that when ever you reach a milestone of significance, the bad guys capture, drug or otherwise kidnap you brings the action to a screeching halt. That in and of itself drags the game down, but the ending is such a steaming pile of dog **** that it makes you never want to play a Far Cry game or even a Ubisoft game ever again. It really is that **** terrible. Add to that the horrendous driving and the ridiculously inept weapon selection and you have one of the worst games that I have played in the last couple of years. The only good thing about the game is the setting. Seriously, it really is that **** bad. Do yourself a favor and just download a pirated version if you really want to play it and save the $65.00. Expand
  24. Nov 19, 2018
    This was my first Far Cry game that i have ever played and one of the most addicting open world games i have ever played as well. There was a time where i just wanted to complete the story mode and get the game over with, but the side missions, hunting, and other miscellaneous things there were to do grabbed my attention every time. I also liked how this game had a different approach whereThis was my first Far Cry game that i have ever played and one of the most addicting open world games i have ever played as well. There was a time where i just wanted to complete the story mode and get the game over with, but the side missions, hunting, and other miscellaneous things there were to do grabbed my attention every time. I also liked how this game had a different approach where it revolved around a religious cult. Here are my likes and dislikes about the game:

Likes:
    I liked about 90% of what the game had to offer.

Dislikes:
    (1) load times.
    (2) vehicle controls.
    (3) enemy AI and your partners are dumb.
    (4) when planes, helicopters crashed it didn't seem too realistic as the body of the plane would still be in tact. Same with vehicles.

Considering the dislikes of this game it is still a 10/10 as i would never get tired of playing it as I would with other games.
  25. Jun 22, 2018
    Finally completed this game all missions and challengers.The graphics and art looks fantastic however after awhile it gets repetitive.The real gems in the game are few but are brilliant,The puzzles getting into buildings and compounds were done very well.The AI of the enemy's were the best in the series so far. Weapons seemed balanced and handle well would have loved a finerFinally completed this game all missions and challengers.The graphics and art looks fantastic however after awhile it gets repetitive.The real gems in the game are few but are brilliant,The puzzles getting into buildings and compounds were done very well.The AI of the enemy's were the best in the series so far. Weapons seemed balanced and handle well would have loved a finer detailed cross hair for scopes. Now the let downs that just make me mad.The NPC's in this game were so annoying I had to kill them to shut them up with there garbage banter.The avatars and NPC's are simple ugly and the the outfits are sad. My female avatar looks like a man she dosn't look female has no outfits what I would call female.Why no avatar customization ?.The developers really missed an opportunity to make some cash from decent avatars and outfits.Why no third person view ? First person view is so dumb in a video game why no option ?The cars,boats and planes are lame, they all operate and handle the same except for Nixon'[s trash vehicles that handle like garbage.The fishing mechanics are well done however all fish catches are the same except for line breakages depending on what rod you use.Why add Arcade when a monthly sub is required to use it. The story is just stupid so disjointed the ending was just lazy and ruined what credibility the narrative held.The finale boss fights with the seeds didn't make any sense there deaths were lame.The writers need to take a good look at the real cultists the corrupt governments of this world.plenty of reality there to make a good story. Don't need seeds and angels just add faceless UN soldiers come to take your property and national sovereignty and right to practice religion.The game Advocating Datura use is really stupid. All parts of the datura plant, also known as devil's trumpet or Jimson Weed, are poisonous. The seeds and young leaves of the plant contain the highest amount of toxic alkaloids.But I guess we all have an agenda, seems UBsoft 666 is no different.This game is a fail for me as a work of art it dosn,t bring anything worthy to the Farcry series and in my opinion it will be the last.If you like this game get Just cause 2 at least Just cause was original.I gave this game a 4 Expand
  26. Oct 18, 2018
    The graphics are not as good as I would have expected from a 2018 game (Spider-man on the same base PS4 looks a full generation younger), the gameplay is not bad, but it's not really refreshing compared to the previous Far Cry which featured the same types of transport and many types of guns, some say it has new elements but outside of shooting from a helicopter and catching fish (whichThe graphics are not as good as I would have expected from a 2018 game (Spider-man on the same base PS4 looks a full generation younger), the gameplay is not bad, but it's not really refreshing compared to the previous Far Cry which featured the same types of transport and many types of guns, some say it has new elements but outside of shooting from a helicopter and catching fish (which are admittedly both fun for a short while) I can't really find any. The story, which I won't get into detail about, is not exactly uplifting or positive. It's like every other Ubisoft game: fight against many different enemies that pretty much look the same until you "kill" the boss enemy after which the ending is very negative and therefor not rewarding for all your hard work.

Ubisoft should be able to do a lot better than this. I'm really tired of this writing style which I've seen in Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed Black Flag / Unity / Syndicate (I couldn't even play Origins for more than five minutes) and frankly many more. They should take a look into Uncharted, Spider-man, GTA V and several other games which contain about as much violence and as crazy aggressive antagonists, but still are way more fun to play, and certainly more fun to finish.
  27. Sep 15, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok I want to be honest here. I spent money on far cry 5 with the expectation that it would be amazing and thrilling, but....... as you are all far cry die hard fans like myself. Please believe me that you will be let down! You deserve better than this. I disregarded everyone’s advice when they told me this game would be terrible.! I chose to be a supporter! Rest assured this game is a pale comparison to the previous installations. This includes dlc! I don’t write this review to anger anyone I just hope to encourouge anyone reading not to give money to Ubisoft this time for this piece of trash that does nothing to a a series that should respect your expectations. Just please consider before you buy! Expand
  28. Dec 7, 2018
    Quite good game, very cheerfully to take place together with the friend. If to take on a discount, then in general it is good
  29. Mar 2, 2021
    Just a typical Ubisoft product. Whole game is just a big checklist. Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity? Far Cry 5... doing the exact same f**king thing over and over again expecting sh*t to change. That is crazy.
  30. Feb 21, 2019
    Very late to the party, with this 'review' - but that's because I can't stand to play this game for more than an hour or so at a time - even then, it takes weeks to go back to it.

One word to sum up Far Cry 5 - dull. It is dull as dishwater, but I know it shouldn't be. Firstly, the world - yes it looks amazing, but there's so much expanse, when it needn't be that large. I think this

Firstly, the world - yes it looks amazing, but there's so much expanse, when it needn't be that large. I think this kind of adds to my boredom.

The enemies, thick as ****, and they appear to be clones - so busting into a base with the M60 chugging away, or hiding on a billboard silently sniping - it just feels like shooting fish in a barrel. The AI give no challenge whatsoever and are simply dull targets to practice on.

I don't care for the story or characters - I feel no connection to anyone in the game, and care not if they live or die; same goes for the much applauded 'companions' you can take with you - though the sniper woman can be handy.

Hunting, fishing, whatever - bore bore bore, I just cannot bring myself to do any of it. I appreciate that is personal, but I can't help but feel it is just padding.

Far Cry (the original on PC) was great in its day - a real tech demo for putting your newly built machine through its paces, the game went a bit awry with the monsters, but was fun to play. Far Cry 2 felt like a gritty return of the king, but everything since has just been a copy and past retread of mush.
  31. Feb 21, 2019
    Got the gold edition for 30 the other day. Once you get into playing after a few hours you'll quickly notice how dull,lazy,ugly this game is.... Wasted my money .......
  32. Nov 23, 2019
    Bland, filled with micro transactions, over the top with enimes chasing you, story is boring and is to free to attract you.
  33. Jun 22, 2020
    Another far cry / ubisoft / open world game that we can see every year
    0 effort. same goes for my score
  34. Jun 3, 2018
    Juego totalmente decepcionante.
    La historia no se la cree nadie, lo llenaron de violencia injustificadamente, los personajes son casi todos malos excepto por el Sheriff. Las peleas contra los bosses son pesimas, tenes toda una crew y vas solo a pelear contra el jefe? Con las armas guardadas?
    Lo peor es que lo terminé despues de jugar GOW y fue realmente decepcionante todo.
  35. May 26, 2018
    Same game like previous 3,4. Looks like better DLC with nice world. But story is poor. I see some bugs. And i hate that i have to again do mission with wrong checkpoint. Some mission made me very sad...
  36. May 30, 2018
    Pre warning, in order for me to really like a game I meed a hint of realism. So to start, the setting, very unbelievable in scope, having helicopter battles in the sky, dogfights and gigantic explosions would not go unnoticed by the outside world. Gameply is smooth, mechanics are good, visually it is stellar, graphics are pretty good. Story is pretty good and does touch on certain rampantPre warning, in order for me to really like a game I meed a hint of realism. So to start, the setting, very unbelievable in scope, having helicopter battles in the sky, dogfights and gigantic explosions would not go unnoticed by the outside world. Gameply is smooth, mechanics are good, visually it is stellar, graphics are pretty good. Story is pretty good and does touch on certain rampant issues drug abuse, paranoia and the need to be in control, better than 2 but not 3, crafting and customization is pretty decent with some interesting characters. Problem for me is how over the top the game is, the bear and cougar the alien guns, it is just to much. I will say it does have some replay value for the aspect of online however not for another campaign as there is no real difference in choices and outcome. It is a good FPS absolutely, decent story and characters, great visuals and smooth gameplay, over the top and unrealistic dramatics all clash together to form a game that is fun to play but hard to really enjoy. Expand
  37. Oct 4, 2018
    One of the main problems of the game is realization of cooperative mode.
    This is aspect by reason of i decided to consider creation of Ubisoft completely shocked me.
    I don`t know why developers decided to bind the progress with only leading person. As for me, that's irrational. Instead of discovering the world together with my friends i have to look for people who already had finished
    One of the main problems of the game is realization of cooperative mode.
    already had finished the main story, have all the points and can smash everyone, this kills
    my interest because I did nothing except for sitting somewhere in the bushes and watching them fighting.
    As a result - i couldn`t finish the game till the end. Playing alone becomes boring after 10 hours
    because of typical missions.
    Graphics is on a good level, but some textures in the game look horrible. For example, a basket with square shape of apples! Seriously! what the **** is this?
    By the way, the actions in the open world are oversaturated.
    I can hide in the woods, bushes, climb on the pole, but i still will be killed by enemies or some crazy turkey which appear somewhere nearby. i cant even catch a fish calmly, because everyone wants to kill me.
    So, i think franchise needs to be reloaded because all the features have got outdated.
    Total score: 6.5/10
  38. Feb 18, 2019
    Very poorly made game, feels outdated but with decent graphics (they arent very pretty graphics but better than FC4 for sure).
    Everything about it is just not interesting or intriguing. Feels like everything about open worlds 7 years ago was recycled here. Gun play is not impressive. The open world is nice looking but not interesting and the interactions are random. Its really annoying that you are always spotted by enemies for no reason, just by driving down the road having done nothing to provoke or cause alerts. Ai is kinda dumb. The progression system was made so that you pull out your credit card. There are neat new aditions like having people or a dog deploy with you and such, but really they dont do much and it feels tacked on. Alot of the new gameplay elements feel tacked on simple because other recent games have it.

This game is just not a quality made product. Everything about is a check list of generic things. I struggling to keep playing and I cant find any reason to care about whats going on in the story and characters. There is nothing here, if you played any other Open World game, you already played this.

I seriously think Ubisoft should consider ending the FarCry franchise. Even the new Spin-off FarCry New Dawn looks terrible.
  39. Mar 4, 2019
    Довольно комплексная недурная гриндилка без претензий на шедевральность.
    Довольно комплексная недурная гриндилка без претензий на шедевральность.
    Собрал все коллекционные предметы, нашёл все или почти все журналы навыков, прошёл все побочки и сюжетные миссии, а также выбил все сингловые трофеи, но онлайн в игре настолько убогий, что даже калда на фоне этой дичи выглядит и играется лучше… дно пробито, поэтому от идеи выбить платину пришлось отказаться, так как больше часа я не выдержал! Игра неплохая… неплохая на фоне друг игр от Юбисофт, которые созданы для того, чтобы занять нас, пока мы ждём нормальные игры. Юбики со своей задачей справляются и делают крепкие середнячки - довольно комплексные игры, где всё вроде неплохо, но не идеально, потому что количество преобладает над качеством, что говорит нисколько о творческом подходе, сколько о выполнении тех. задания, типа надо сделать 50 побочек и нарисовать 50 км игровой карты и из-за этого часть контента это копипаст с прошлых частей или с самой себя.
    По традиции стрельба реализована отвратительно и это единственная серия игр, не считая GTA, которую я прохожу с автоаимом, и от части в часть ничего не меняется в лучшую сторону - просто клепают по проверенным лекалам.

Моя оценка 6,5 из 10, не больше, а ведь такие надежды подавала игра своими трейлерами, но вышло просто неплохо, хотя могли бы тему религии обстебать пожёстче, но очканули кого-то оскорбить.
    Рекомендую брать строго по скидкам, а уж сколько для вас нормальная скидка - решать только вам! Дадут в Game Pass или в Live Gold может даже ещё разок пробегу через лет так пять:)
  40. Feb 15, 2019
    I was skeptical after seeing so many bad reviews. I gave it a try and it is still the good old Far Cry.
    Obviously worse than 3 and 4 but enjoyable and makes a lot of fun.
  41. Feb 19, 2019
    The game looks amazing and I love the setting and the ideas behind the story. I want to love this game but there is an emptiness I feel when playing that doesn’t quite make me really love this. I feel that I am just doing the missions for the sake of it and playing the game to pass some time, not because I am really invested in it.

There are of course so major problems too. After the

There are of course so major problems too.

After the prologue, I was stuck installing the game for far to long, having already taken hours to install and download.

I couldn’t quit out of a mission which I was struggling with and had to keep attempting it when I didn’t want to really - a side mission where I had to chase a helicopter on a quad bike.

The enemy placements are way too random and the patrols are everywhere making it too hectic. It doesn’t feel like a living world, it feels like wherever you are, the game sends enemies and animals to your spot indefinitely.

There is no out of car view for driving and the r2 doesn’t work for the throttle sometimes - a similar problem I had in rdr2 and the duels.

The game isn’t bad, in f t it’s fun at times but it’s not a game that makes me think wow or excites me to play.
  42. May 11, 2019
    The Good: fun game mechanics

The Good: fun game mechanics

The Bad: Ignoring the secret ending, there is no satisfaction from the story to the player for their effort. The first rule of making a game: do not make player actions meaningless. And that is exactly what the story does to this game. I feel like they were trying to make a deep though provoking ending like The Forest ... but Far Cry 5 does not do this. I just feel cheated.

Waste of my money.
  43. May 12, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Annoying capture missions ruined what was a fun game. They happened several times while I was doing other missions and just take you away from the mission, once happening in an airplane???? The capture missions are not hard but kills the immersion and are also not enjoyable. The last straw was a timed dream mission with poor level design and an awful red filter making it hard to see anything. I only play open world games because I love the freedom to go where I want and do missions at my leisure. This game kills that experience. Expand
  44. Jun 29, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just completed the game and I'm bitterly disappointed. The story could have been compelling, but none of the characters are properly fleshed out, the pacing is way off and the scenes depicted in the open world completely ruin any attempt at mystique around the Cult and the key characters.

The most ready example is Faith - a young, attractive and seemingly vulnerable woman who is just the latest in a long line of troubled women to take on the personality of "Faith", all the others having been used up and murdered by The Father. It would be very, very easy to feel sympathy for her if there was a degree of ambiguity to her character. But just walking down any road in the region she controls, we see random men and women being murdered and their corpses mutilated by the side of the road. Tortured and chemically lobotomised prisoners tending huge drug crops. Mass graves pilied high with civilian bodies and those of her own followers. In short, you would have to be mentally disabled to actually feel sorry for the person responsible for that - no matter how cute she looks in her little fairy dress. It's also worth noting that all of your interactions with her are via hallucinations that may or may not have some level of reality to them. The result of this is that what should be a poignant moment after you kill her in the boss fight, just feels absolutely empty. To the best of my knowledge, your character only meets Faith in person for that fight - it's entirely possible that they've never actually spoken before and that all the sob stories she predictably fed you were entirely in your characters head.

Add to that the fact that the "Resistance Points" build up way too quickly, so you have remarkably little time to get to know the characters - if you just walk from one mission marker to another rather than fast travel, you're likely to accrue enough resistance points to get you to the next **** session with the area boss. This leaves you with precious little time to get to know the side characters, making for a pretty lonely experience. The lack of character development does nothing to help an already crap ending - as you approach the final bosses compound you find it completely empty (boring) and immediately get taken to a cutscene in which ALL of the secondary characters have been turned into cultists and are threatening to kill the three police officers you start the game with. I think this is supposed to lead to some emotional turmoil, but the secondary characters are so forgettable that I couldn't even remember half of them and you spend all of two minutes actually talking to your police friends. So why the hell would I care? Also, this turn of events absolutely smashes the logical consistency of the game. The Cult had been amassing power for years (somehow not attracting the attention of either the local or federal government) and by the beginning of the game are at the absolute height of their influence. You the player then tear down their empire brick by brick, destroying their resources, killing their members, killing their leaders and eventually leaving them with literally just the crappy little ranch the endgame takes place in. The whole time the cult have been trying to kill you and the other characters. They manage to capture both the player and side characters frequently, but somehow they always manage to escape and come out on top, despite the cult at those points being so powerful. Now though, with all of their property destroyed, their outposts taken, their leaders dead and a gun in the face of the final boss, they have somehow managed not only to capture EVERY SINGLE ONE of the secondary characters, but also convert them to the cult - making them at least loyal enough to be trusted with dozens of fully automatic weapons right in front of the cult leader. If this was at all possible, why didn't the cult do it before? If they have that capability now, once all their stuff is gone and their people dead, they MUST have been able to do it at the beginning when they were at the height of their strength, but apparently they didn't bother. It makes an already weak ending just plain ridiculous.

My final complaint is a lack of weapons to choose from, and also the existence of "prestige" weapons that can be bought from the beginning of the game and are essentially just the most powerful weapons in the game but with a unique paint job. They make the game far too easy and completely negate the drive to unlock more weapons, not that there's much to unlock anyway. The DLC guns being available in the main game is fun for a little while, but they're so overpowered that they get boring very quickly.

Positives: Nice music and the gameplay is functionally the same as Far Cry 4, which is a good thing. Shame the rest of the game isn't anywhere near as good.
  45. Aug 23, 2020
    I liked the game very much, the plot is not very interesting, but the gameplay and visuals of the game are very beautiful, the game did not lag. One minus game is a plot, very unil. I finished this game almost completely. my rating is 9/10 minus the plot. (litter for mistakes) :(
  46. Nov 10, 2021
    Coming into this title right after FC4, and i seen a masive improvement. The game itself is realy fun and enjoyable to play. Graphics looks really nice. This time there is a, maybe still naive, but yet good plot which i was into. The game starts really sweet and you are pulled right away into the game. For me magic dissapears somewhere after 3rd blackmail, which introduces you intoComing into this title right after FC4, and i seen a masive improvement. The game itself is realy fun and enjoyable to play. Graphics looks really nice. This time there is a, maybe still naive, but yet good plot which i was into. The game starts really sweet and you are pulled right away into the game. For me magic dissapears somewhere after 3rd blackmail, which introduces you into cutscenes. Those felt nice at the beggenning but after 2-3rd one it just feels forced and kinda destroys the climatic cutscene. Maybe not straight 10 or the title i would love be backing into but i feel 7 is a fair choise. Expand
  47. Apr 26, 2018
    Game: Far Cry 5
    My Rating (from 0 to 100): 77
    Story (0 to 20): 15 (This includes pacing/ narrative and lore) A good story is essential to keep a lot of players interested in your game. Characters (0 to 20): 18 (This includes voice acting / animations and how they complement the story) Even if your story is great, if the characters are un-interesting or just stupid in the context
    Game: Far Cry 5
    My Rating (from 0 to 100): 77

Story (0 to 20): 15
    (This includes pacing/ narrative and lore)
    A good story is essential to keep a lot of players interested in your game.

Characters (0 to 20): 18
    (This includes voice acting / animations and how they complement the story)
    Even if your story is great, if the characters are un-interesting or just stupid in the context of the game, it will ruin the game. A good story-teller is at least as important as a good story.

Gameplay (0 to 20): 17
    (This includes combat/ movement and the way you interact in the world)
    if you just want a good story with good characters alone, go watch a movie! Gameplay is one if not the most important part of a successful game.

Design (0 to 15): 12
    (This includes world design / character design / creative spin on common practices)
    Everybody has seen a simple medieval castle / an ordinary zombie and an M16 AR. Keep things fresh and interesting, give game devs the freedom to give their personal spin on things.

Bonus Ratings
    These are more personal.

Soundtrack (0 to 15): 5
    A great soundtrack is in my opinion a must for a 10/10.

Replay/Endgame (0 to 5): 2
    I like to play more even after the story has finished like side quests. I would also include side activities in games to this like; the last of us multiplayer or Doom’s map editor.

Polish (0 to 5): 5
    (Is it buggy or not? Do parts of the game feel rushed? But remember, bugs can be fixed)
    Well do I have to explain? No one likes a buggy/leggy game. It breaks emersion and f%cks your play trough. I still have nightmares from the assassin’s creed “no face” bug…

Extra:

Love the inclusion of the map editor, it gives unlimited gameplay value. I love to see what people are going to make.
  48. Apr 17, 2018
    Far Cry 5 is so close to being great but a few things hold it back. The story of Far Cry 5 is not compelling in the slightest. Some characters are great but the overall narrative is lacking in so many ways. The writing is decent enough but I had very little interest in what would happen next. However, the gameplay is great as always. The gunplay is smooth and satisfying. This game is alsoFar Cry 5 is so close to being great but a few things hold it back. The story of Far Cry 5 is not compelling in the slightest. Some characters are great but the overall narrative is lacking in so many ways. The writing is decent enough but I had very little interest in what would happen next. However, the gameplay is great as always. The gunplay is smooth and satisfying. This game is also more difficult than the previous entries in the series which is good. The crafting system has been replaced with a perk list. This is unfortunate because instead of living off the land you earn points to spend in a perk tree. With that said, the world is beautiful and the sound design is even better. The world feels like it's lived in and never feels empty. While I'm on the note, the world can sometimes become to busy. Often times you'll run into a handful of enemies within 20-30 seconds. It become ridiculous and frustrating when you can't catch a break. It becomes unrealistic and takes away from the fun. No spoilers, but I hate the ending of the main story as well. I believe there is different endings but the one I got, and assume most others will get, is very weird and a awful ending. I still want to see more of this series but I want it to evolve like Assassin's Creed did last year with Origins. Far Cry 6 needs to have a compelling story that we haven't seen before. It needs to have great characters and some truly innovative gameplay changed or this series might be in trouble. Expand
  49. Apr 18, 2018
    You can say this is one of the best farcry games,but also one of the worst,because of this
    positive
    + tons of missions to do + beautiful graphics + the setting actually makes the game feel a little bit different then the latest farcry games + the arcade mode ( map editor) is insane big ,with objects of other ubisoft games + faith is a pretty unique character + tons of content in
    positive
    + tons of missions to do
    + beautiful graphics
    + faith is a pretty unique character
    + tons of content in arcade mode ( which is logical )
    + you can tame a bear
    + vehicles have good controls ,i don't know tf people talk about
    negative
    - boring story
    - the villains are boring,only faith is interesting
    - not so many guns,which causes repetivity
    - few things are missing in arcade mode,like making enemies stronger,making enemies follow indicated paths
    -also some annoying things like ,AI area is not clear,then **** show me where that issue is,because of that i sometimes have to delete every AI in the map
    - dumb AI overall
    conclusion:
    If you look in terms of content and blasting fun ,this may be the best farcry
    If you look at it as a game ,with a story, this is one of the worst ,and is a huge disappointment on that part
    Am i overall disappointed with farcry ? yes and no
    Buy this if you want tons of content to do,don't buy this if you want a story
  50. Sep 21, 2018
    I have never played Far Cry 1 or 2, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time playing Far Cry 3. At this point all I wanted was a coop which in proper version was introduced in Far Cry 4. This was a game. Superb. And now, I was waiting patiently for some sort of price drop to put my hands on this gem. When I did, I quickly found out, it's not gem anymore. It is a poo, a nice brown cheap andI have never played Far Cry 1 or 2, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time playing Far Cry 3. At this point all I wanted was a coop which in proper version was introduced in Far Cry 4. This was a game. Superb. And now, I was waiting patiently for some sort of price drop to put my hands on this gem. When I did, I quickly found out, it's not gem anymore. It is a poo, a nice brown cheap and disgusting poo. In comparison to FC4, there is no feel behind your character, It feels like there is simply no weight, and the sound effects are too soft. It literally feels like playing console version of FC5 in FC4. There is nothing in this game that would feel like an upgrade to FC4. Apparently beautiful graphic. Well, not from my perspective. The only thing I can see is optimized pile of junk that stutters every now and then to totally break already weak immersion.

If you enjoyed FC3 and FC4 - do not buy this pile of jokes until it's half price... and even then, be warned, you will not enjoy it as much as previous games. Darn... another over hyped title. PS: even if you get 2hrs trial on Steam or something, the game with intro etc. is design to waste so much of your time that before you notice and start proper game 3hrs passes... and you can no longer refund it. What an utter and cheeky cash grab.

The more i think about this game the angrier I get. What a trash!
  51. Apr 27, 2018
    Having played all 6 far cries (blood dragon, primal). I conclude that this is worst part by far, it has nothing new or good in it. Ghost recon Wildlands supersedes this pile in every aspect. It seems Far Cry finally followed in footsteps of Mass Effect and Assassins Creed... Shame really.
  52. Apr 3, 2018
    Although the storyline is a little lacking, the gameplay is amazing.

Although the storyline is a little lacking, the gameplay is amazing.

The money you need in the game (which seems to be a big complaint of other reviewers) does come slowly at first, but then again, most of the weapons are locked. I started by knocking off John Seed, then went north to start on Jacob Seed, once I go into that zone, money came quite easy, as there is a tone of animals to kill, and not in a long grindy way either. So don't listen to anyone saying that the Microtransactions ruin it.

The graphics are amazing, the side quests are quirky, and the fishing is fun and challenging.

All in all, I give it a 9 due to the main quest line being a little lacking, as you do not get to really know the characters.
  53. May 12, 2018
    This game was excellent as long as you exclude the story. I could have continued exploring, hunting, fishing, and flying around the Far Cry 5 world for many more hours. However, when you include the forced story progression and the inability to affect ANY true outcome of the story... count me out! Give me a challenge! Make the best outcome of the game extremely difficult! Make me work forThis game was excellent as long as you exclude the story. I could have continued exploring, hunting, fishing, and flying around the Far Cry 5 world for many more hours. However, when you include the forced story progression and the inability to affect ANY true outcome of the story... count me out! Give me a challenge! Make the best outcome of the game extremely difficult! Make me work for it. But don't force feed me your ending while giving me the illusion of choice.

I've played every single Far Cry installment so far, but I'll definitely be waiting a long time after the next release to see if the development folks get the hint and make better writing decisions in the future. As of now, I'm a lost customer.

Final thought... save your time and money. Play something else!
  54. Jun 17, 2019
    The story sucks, the characters and acting suck, and you can see that this is by far the least worked on far cry. The developers didn't care about this game like they did to the previous far cry's. The gameplay however is GREAT and so is the world. Only if the story was better and if the developers actually tried.
    PS: This is the most repayable far cry yet. So I have to give it extra points.
  55. Apr 23, 2018
    Wanted to like this game, but just couldn't. There is nothing wow about it, but then again there is nothing terrible. Very run of the mill, and I also can't get my head around the fact it takes a full clip with a SMG to kill a Turkey, but one hit of a baseball bat for the actual enemies. There are far better titles out on the PS4 which would serve better.
  56. Apr 16, 2018
    Well If this will be only a solo or coop campaign then I would give this game a max score but unfortunately they put there this arcane mode which imo is completely trash. Laggy, annoying and frustrating. And what is worst in all this in order to achieve all the trophies you have no choice but to play this mode. This was too much. Sorry Ubi but I cant give you more then 5/10
  57. Apr 24, 2018
    Starts strong but fizzles. If you've played through the fist 1/3, you've essentially played the whole game. Boring skill tree and character development. Feels unfinished. Its worth a play through but that's about it.
  58. Apr 2, 2018
    So far 10 hours into the game:

Pros: - Far Cry 5 is successful in creating a realistic environment. - Having an NPC to accompany you, and the ability to select which one is very cool. Cons: - When you are about to fallow through with your guerilla warfare attack, about 80% of the time a wild animal will come out of nowhere and mess things up. - When using the helicopter to
    So far 10 hours into the game:

Pros:
    - Far Cry 5 is successful in creating a realistic environment.

Cons:

- When using the helicopter to track side mission where you need to take out a convoy or capture a fuel truck, if you are in the helicopter and switch to map mode and them back to the game, the convoy or fuel truck will be gone.

- you can kill a person with one shot but animals will run away and seem to take more damage

- After acquiring a cool truck, I fast traveled and the truck was gone. I went back to the location where I found it and it was not there.

- Outposts are super easy to take over

- I am curious why there are no native Americans in the game. I really enjoyed the Longmire TV series and felt the game could have gone a bit further in depth this way.
  59. May 2, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. loved the game up until the point i started the jacob area. repeating the same **** timed shooter sequence four frickin times? seems like they ran out of time to finish the game?. if i'd known this was in it i wouldn't of bothered and won't be buying another far cry instalment at this point. i personally hate timed games, at work i'm pushed against the clock continuously and games are my escape from this type of stress. totally disappointed. Expand
  60. May 5, 2018
    Good game that has great gunplay and action but, like has been said in numerous other reviews here, the story gets old fast. I know what they were trying to do with social commentary but the story just didn't connect with me. Couple this with the unbelievable nonsense that absolutely no law enforcement agency or the national guard would do anything about an insurrection of this scale isGood game that has great gunplay and action but, like has been said in numerous other reviews here, the story gets old fast. I know what they were trying to do with social commentary but the story just didn't connect with me. Couple this with the unbelievable nonsense that absolutely no law enforcement agency or the national guard would do anything about an insurrection of this scale is ridiculous. Lastly, the cutscenes and characters felt like they were ripped off Rockstar's reject list. The dialogue, voice acting, and even camera movements are nearly identical to any GTA game...just done poorly. Expand
  61. May 16, 2018
    It's a decent game, though not very difficult to play. The concept of having a "buddy" on call gives you limitless options to sneak up on people with animals, or rain fire from above while you watch on a hill.
    The storyline is pretty thin, you will get tired of all the talking and pontificating. There are moments where you must go fishing to complete a quest. OK, this signals they have run out of ideas.
    Lame ending. IMO FC4 was a better game.
  62. Nov 21, 2019
    This game got a lot of negative press because it DIDN'T portray everyday Midwestern Americans using their 2nd amendment rights to defend their homes from a cult as the BAD GUYS!
    However, this all does not excuse a mediocre far cry experience. I felt like i was playing far cry 2 demo from 2006 (nothing seemed groundbreaking)
    PROS: +Initially fun until you realize all the areas are
    PROS:
    +Initially fun until you realize all the areas are repetitive, do stuff, cause stuff, get kidnapped, and rinse/repeat; it's good bubblegum but loses flavor fast.
    +graphics are stellar (I am on Ps4 NOT-PRO and no crash no major frps drop after 45 hours)
    +The setting (good to see small town america get some justice even if it felt a little over diversified for the sake of diversity; excluding this, it is a faithful depiction of a rural American town)
    +Music is excellent (obviously those who have disdain for America and specifically Middle America will find our folk music not their cup of tea (I'm speaking to you EuroGamer. Complaining about the setting is underhanded jab at America and ignorant as hell)
    +The Setting. I for one am happy I am not in ANOTHER foreign jungle where the people and setting are less relatable (see that's not fair for me to say about the previous far cry's, but the game critics certainly refuse to look at it from our side. Only theirs is valid...)
    -->The setting preference is that at the end of the day. Preference. And I thought this game was "bland and formulaic" it definitely tried to break its ubigame criticism by changing the venue. The elitist game journalists aren't happy that it shows everyday America in a positive light (imo)

NEUTRAL:
    +Gun variety and main weapon customization (could be better. Putting a silencer on every weapon without a penalty kinda makes it foolish TO NOT USE silencers)
    -+Gunplay: kinda feels phoned in. Good enough but that's it, it's neither satisfying nor unsatisfying to shoot a weapon)
    -+Lack of a better melee/close quarter combat system. While I love all the melee weapons. The stealth implementation could have had more meat to it. I wanted a counter attack system while getting attacked with a mekee weapon (some kind of skill based trigger like having to press a few buttons correctly in a row?)
    -+ Story, not impressed. Felt contrived and rushed. As if far cry New Dawn was meant to be the true DLC to Far Cry 5...

CONS
    ---Gameplay can and does get too chaotic for its own good (this is valid; but this is where most gaming journals end their empirical analysis of the game)
    -->NPC's while you are speaking or trying to get a mission/plot moving forward can and do get mauled by animals and/or cultists descend out of nowhere
    ----PLAYERS CHARACTER IS FACELESS AND HAS NO DIALOGUE (this is the real reason why this game deserves a point off. Your character doesn't speak--this may have been a foolish attempt to immerse YOU in the game... The lack of dialogue whatsoever is glaring and at times frustrating that you would remain solent while torture scenes occurred)
    ---Half stepping Political message: the game makes jabs at both Obama and trump. But I think the trunk lampooning was far more accentuated. By trying to appeal WITH HALF MEASURES, Ubisoft has alienated both audiences: the game critics wanted a politically charged game that satirized today's culture war, and gamers just wanted an immersive, rewarding, good single player (yes single player games are important) game with player character having a personality or at least vocal chords.
    -->This this game ended up alienating the PC crowd for not going "far enough" and the regular crowd for Ubisoft's attempt to pander to subversive elements in our country. We just wanted a good game good story.
    So I couldn't find MANY honest veritable reviews about the game without reading user reviews.
    Lazy video game journalists don't realize you must LOOT the body afterwards (criticism that $$ is hard to come by because they are trying to speed through the game to write their report and get back to their real life.
    The cult is NOT white supremacist as all the journals were desperately drooling. The cult is directly relayed to Waco Texas and David Koresh.

UPDATE as of Jan 2019: game went to an 8...it's a modern fallout experience. It could have been more special sure. And stay away from the DLCs they are awful.
    Ubisoft not even a year into this game's release they are unveiling far cry 5.5 aka the actual DLC to Far Cry 5 aka New Dawn... Basically a DLC for $40 bucks. Ubisoft is milking its cash cow :/

Honestly this game is okay. I am saddened. It's potential that went untapped because we the consumer didn't know the nefarious plan to double dip.

I hope ubisoft burn. At first, I defended this game, but now realized Ubisoft buttered us up to spend 100$ on this Far Cry 5 "experience" by Achilles heel the DLC and coming out with a 40$ DLC
  63. Nov 21, 2018
    Man what a colossal disappointment. One can suspend levels of disbelief to accept the basic premise of the game. A cult in Hope County, Montana, lead by a charismatic leader and family could work for a Far Cry narrative despite the overarching idea of "Just call in the military." However, Far Cry 5s problems are not just with the critical design but also the characters and forced plot. IMan what a colossal disappointment. One can suspend levels of disbelief to accept the basic premise of the game. A cult in Hope County, Montana, lead by a charismatic leader and family could work for a Far Cry narrative despite the overarching idea of "Just call in the military." However, Far Cry 5s problems are not just with the critical design but also the characters and forced plot. I will keep it spoiler free, but there are approximately ten times you are removed from the open world and forced to watch what Ubisoft has considered important. Not only are these instances unavoidable but they interrupt the flow of any fun you may have been having. For example, I was jumping out a plane skydiving roughly 200 ft in the air which then cut to black, tied to a chair, and forced to hear the family talk about "moral" choices.

All and all you could pick a worse action adventure FPS open world game but this one had so many little annoyances that the overall experience was ruined.
  64. Nov 29, 2018
    Best Farcry ever, best story, graphics, gameplay. I **** LOVE THIS GAMEEEEEE
  65. Jan 9, 2019
    The best part from the whole franchise after FC3.
    Finished it twice with my friend.
    One bad thing is - a friend who will play with you in co-op. He will be like a main player's shadow, who don't get any achievements, story progress (on friend's ps4). His place with you - just run and shoot.
  66. Mar 30, 2018
    I've started playing this game and hated my 4 hours in. You have absolutely no reason to do anything in this game except challenges for perk points. This is the worst game in the series yet. I feel nothing for any of the people in the game at all. I'd rather play Far Cry Primal. The villians in the game are ridiculous. I wasted my money and even if it had been on sale I shouldn't haveI've started playing this game and hated my 4 hours in. You have absolutely no reason to do anything in this game except challenges for perk points. This is the worst game in the series yet. I feel nothing for any of the people in the game at all. I'd rather play Far Cry Primal. The villians in the game are ridiculous. I wasted my money and even if it had been on sale I shouldn't have bought it. Utter garbage!!! I really don't know wtf what all the hype was about. Trash. Save your money and do not buy this game. Wait for something better like God of War. Expand
  67. Apr 1, 2018
    Gorgeous environments, great gunplay and a refined progression system, all pulled back by dumb AI, an inane storyline that is unbelievably bad, featuring terrible characters and the ripping away of a core enjoyable series feature in crafting.

It comes close to reinvigorating the series, yet strangely enough doesn't take enough risks to do it. With the setting they had here, they could and really should have done much more with it. As it stands, it's a better game than Far Cry 4, but lacks the impact of Far Cry 3.

As a sandbox playground shooter, you can do worse. Just don't go in expecting miracles - it's an OK release, nothing more, nothing less.
  68. Apr 13, 2018
    Abominable AI. You can expect you AI companions to not just be morons but suicidal morons, charging into the nearest raging fire....consistently.
    Here’s a scenario you’ll encounter over and over again: You come upon a building with a few enemies around it you decide to take them out and see what loot you can find. After you take them out and start checking out the area, a truck pulls up and they’re instantly alerted from the body’s. As you’re in the new firefight, 4 enemy vehicles driving by are alerted and attack(This places roadways are ridiculously populated for being in the woods.). A bear joins the fray...oh look, more enemies from down the road. A helicopter. A cougar. A fire starts burning everything. You hide from the chopper and wait for the fire to burn out, taking enemy’s out stealthily with the bow and make it back to the building and the initial enemies have respawned. Here we go again. You eventually die.
    There’s good things about the game but the over population and respawn rate of enemy’s and dangerous wildlife is ridiculous. It makes the game not fun. It’s absolutely pointless to drive anywhere. “F” this game. Not only am I just done with playing the game after 6 hours, I’m done with the series. I don’t know how people have rated it as high as they have. I played Homefront 2 longer than I could take playing this and that was hot garbage. What a waste of money.
  69. Apr 15, 2018
    I'm giving this game a 5 to be nice and because it's somewhat of dumb fun.. but, here are reasons why i thought this game was boring in my honest and humble opinion as a gamer. First off, the setting of Montana is very simple and rural, and while they did do a good job with capturing that, I feel as if they picked a simple and rural setting because of how....well....simple it is. Not muchI'm giving this game a 5 to be nice and because it's somewhat of dumb fun.. but, here are reasons why i thought this game was boring in my honest and humble opinion as a gamer. First off, the setting of Montana is very simple and rural, and while they did do a good job with capturing that, I feel as if they picked a simple and rural setting because of how....well....simple it is. Not much design to be done in a setting like this, and at times some areas feel copy and paste as others. The story also is very bland. Feels like a mini Ghost Recon Wildlands in terms of different Bosses for different Regions, in which each region you have to slowly liberate to get to each bosses breaking point so to speak so there is a lot of repetition. Also to add to my last point, I don't think they show enough of the villain characters throughout your playthrough to fully grow to like em or hate em. What also makes this game boring is how clunky the shooting mechanics are and always have been in Far Cry games. It hasn't completely hurt my experience with this game, but, the fact that this games clunky shooting can get a pass but games like Homefront Revolutions' or Sniper Ghost Warrior 3s' similar mechanics don't is head scratching. The A.I., both enemies and companions are laughable and stupid as stupid can get. I shoot enemy from his right side, he calmly turns and shoots then runs away from me, in which i chase him, he turns and stares at me like a frozen idiot and allows me to melee him to death or i throw remote explosive at a car, and the enemies jump out and stand still as if to say "stand your ground, this explosion below our feet won't blow our souls out of our bodies." I get that the A.I. in games can't be perfect at times but this game has so many moments with or against the A.I. that left me shaking my head at how unpolished they feel. Also scavenging and crafting is far too dumb'd down in comparison to previous Far Cry games, and removes a level of satisfaction in going around scavenging. Also it would've been nice to have a deeper set of weapons and/or gadgets to choose from.. this is supposed to be modern day and your character is supposed to be this Superman like Bad mofo.. yet, I find myself getting kills in similar ways. Would've been neat to have remote controlled explosives, shock drones, Poison darts and/or Poison for food and drinks while Stealth or even more melee weapon variety like having Swords, Battles Axes, Spiked Bats, etc.. in which have different animations.. My point is, this game does have an array of ways to kill but doesn't put emphasis on them other than completing simple challenges with specific weapons. As a whole, this game is dumb fun that i will admit I enjoy when i wanna play an open world game that I wanna be a destructive force in and kill time...but it's not a game I rush home from work to play, and a lot of times I find myself sitting at my Playstation debating if i'm in the mood to play it or not. Not saying it's a bad game, just stating how I feel about it and how i feel is that it is a game that hasn't captured me or kept me interested as consistently as I thought it would and it is because how boring and "typical open world gameplay" it is...nothing innovative or different and the setting adds to that bland feel. Expand
  70. Mar 28, 2018
    TIME SAVER REVIEW!

Story: Still choppy and not the focus of the game Graphics: Goooooooooorgeoooous Gameplay: Standard FC fare with an EXCELLENT map this time around (THANK YOU UBISOFT) - fully co-op. Replayability: In spades, the FC Arcade is an excellent addition, map editor is VERY intuitive. Verdict: Worth it, not much else in this genre coming, and NOTHING in the co-op
    TIME SAVER REVIEW!

Story: Still choppy and not the focus of the game

Graphics: Goooooooooorgeoooous

Verdict: Worth it, not much else in this genre coming, and NOTHING in the co-op open-world FPS department. Maybe Agony (minus co-op) until post-E3, but if you are craving that kind of action just go ahead and bite. If you're familiar with and enjoy the Far Cry series, this is a worthy addition. 8/10
  71. Apr 4, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall the game is good with the variety of side missions and things to do in the game. The fictional Montana county of Hope is broken up into 3 areas each controlled by the Main bosses lieutenants. In each area the goal is to get to 3 levels of resistance so you can face off with the lieutenant and free that area. The problem is when you get to each level of resistance they send out capture parties to take you captive. And that is when the problems for this game begin. You get captured no matter what you do. Sure you can defeat the capture parties that come continuously and non stop but then you will get hit out of nowhere with a "Bliss bullet". You can be up in an aircraft or helicopter or in the middle of an outpost that is full of your specialists and half a dozen other non player characters. It doesn't matter you will get captured. If you are doing the math that's 3 levels of resistance times 3 areas and that equals getting CAPTURED 9 TIMES! That's right you will be captured and forced to do story missions at least 9 times throughout the campaign. It totally breaks any immersion that you may have and frustrates you to no end. All the people around you basically stand by and watch you get captured it is so unrealistic. I have stopped playing the game because of it. If you like being forced to do missions whether you want to or not then you will love this game, otherwise go play something else until UBISOFT decides to stop being lazy and actually think of other ways to move the story along. I can't believe this got through play testing and made it into the actual game. I have talked alot about this but it's only because it is that jarring and lazy. I could understand getting captured a few times even though it is a way overused trope but 9 TIMES? That is unacceptable. I will gladly change my review if they ever decide to remove the feature and come up with another non lazy way to move the story forward. Expand
  72. Jun 19, 2018
    Amazing graphics, good FPS gun gameplay, and plenty to do here. Unfortunately the AI as well as a predictable, and shallow story let this down... This could have been an amazing piece of satirical social commentary as the trailers had nuanced to this. Sadly though, it is nothing more than a well presented and certainly playable FPS game that feels shallow and repetitive after a few hoursAmazing graphics, good FPS gun gameplay, and plenty to do here. Unfortunately the AI as well as a predictable, and shallow story let this down... This could have been an amazing piece of satirical social commentary as the trailers had nuanced to this. Sadly though, it is nothing more than a well presented and certainly playable FPS game that feels shallow and repetitive after a few hours in... I deleted it after about 60% complete - its just boring and empty. Expand
  73. Apr 15, 2018
    Most weapons and vehicles are just reskins of other weapons and vehicles in the SAME GAME. For example, there are 4-5 different types of revolvers, and all of them have the exact same stats. There are 8-9 different types of shotguns, with maybe 3 different stats shared between them. And the vehicles are even worse. The autosave system has been out of date since 2009, the very limitedMost weapons and vehicles are just reskins of other weapons and vehicles in the SAME GAME. For example, there are 4-5 different types of revolvers, and all of them have the exact same stats. There are 8-9 different types of shotguns, with maybe 3 different stats shared between them. And the vehicles are even worse. The autosave system has been out of date since 2009, the very limited character customization is arbitrary at best, and the most entertaining parts of the game are when you're doing anything but the story, which you keep getting dragged into against your will through annoying cut scenes. I audibly groaned when anything story related happened because I was usually doing one of the few truly fun things in the game. And I don't want you to misunderstand, I LOVE a good story in a video game. I will play video games just for the story, and I am incredibly forgiving when games fail to shine in other areas, but the incredibly weak story mixed with the outright lazy game design really does not leave a good impression at all. The game at this stage is still pretty buggy and the level design also leaves a lot to be desired. If you intend to complete the main story, you will have to do the same exact mission four times. And that's not even a bug. If you really feel the need to buy this game, do it on sale, and make sure that you have a friend or two that has it. The most fun that you can have is dicking around the world with a friend. BUT, only one of you will get to save any progress, so pick a friend who doesn't mind slogging through this mediocre game more than once, because that's what they're going to have to do. Last word: Don't be fooled by the cool opening sequence. It got my blood pumping too, but I promise you, that it is the high point of the story. Expand
  74. Apr 10, 2018
    Lazy, confused and unexplained storytelling lets down this shooter. Each area's boss quests are disjointed and quickly become yawns players struggle through to get back to the carnage.
    Nothing really new in weapons from far cry 4.
    All in all I was expecting more. Another disappointment to add to the growing list of disappointing , over hyped , unfinished games on release. No wonder
    Nothing really new in weapons from far cry 4.
    No wonder the DLC's have nothing to do with Far Cry 5, it tells you that the devs could not add more to this game.
  75. May 5, 2018
    Why did they have to make this game so boring? It is worse than Far Cry 4. This game sucks. I wanted it to be good so badly, but it keeps disappointing. The only good thing is the looks but it only takes the game so far. Disappointment.
  76. May 23, 2018
    I would give this game a solid 7/10. Let's start off by saying without a doubt the graphics are amazing, visuals are unreal and playing on a 4KTV makes it so much better. Physics are not bad but it needs work, when you light a forest on fire there should be ashes but instead it just turns black like wtf? AI is unbelievably stupid in this game. Story missions are not too bad but it does getI would give this game a solid 7/10. Let's start off by saying without a doubt the graphics are amazing, visuals are unreal and playing on a 4KTV makes it so much better. Physics are not bad but it needs work, when you light a forest on fire there should be ashes but instead it just turns black like wtf? AI is unbelievably stupid in this game. Story missions are not too bad but it does get repetitive, I thought every section would be different but overall you're doing the same thing over and over.

Having companions made it more entertaining and easier, weapons and customization are great although would be nicer if there were more weapons. Now let's talk about the ending which ultimately ruined the experience for me, I am not gonna spoil it but let's just say it is perhaps the worst ending I have seen in a long time.

Overall this is a game where you will end up spending a lot of hours and ultimately having fun, it's not a perfect game but it is was way better than Far Cry 4 (which I stopped playing after a few days due to how boring it was)
  77. Mar 28, 2018
    Before you talk yourself out of Far Cry 5, play it. This is a solid game with excellent graphics, acting, and gameplay. I am not sure why people say it’s just more of the same. When playing a Far Cry game, or any other game that has multiples in a series I like, I want it to feel like I am playing that game, not something I have never played before; that’s what new IP’s are for. The combatBefore you talk yourself out of Far Cry 5, play it. This is a solid game with excellent graphics, acting, and gameplay. I am not sure why people say it’s just more of the same. When playing a Far Cry game, or any other game that has multiples in a series I like, I want it to feel like I am playing that game, not something I have never played before; that’s what new IP’s are for. The combat and story all feel and play like Far Cry with a whole new story. The story is not all that far fetched! A radical religious cult group trying to instill their values and will upon others with violence and radicalism, hmmm, sounds like what I see on the news frequently enough. If you’re not looking to pick apart every minor detail you might not like, try this game as it is one I won’t soon be putting down. Expand
  78. Apr 4, 2018
    I want to love this game all the way to ten, but I can't. I experienced too many eye rolling moments whilst playing to allow myself to do so.

I'll start positive, it's beautiful. Mechanics are great, I always use the bow in these games, so that’s always fun. I wish I had a PC to see it at max quality, but never the less it's gorgeous. I LOVE running around (I rarely drive in the far

I wish I had a PC to see it at max quality, but never the less it's gorgeous. I LOVE running around (I rarely drive in the far cry games) getting lost, finding random scenes and moments in the woods, it's amazing. Big fan of games that involve a lot of exploring and collecting so I’m very happy with this game for that. Also has an added awesome bonus that I’m running around with a bear and cougar by my side, feeling like a f**king warg.

It is also funny, as expected, I do end up skipping a lot of dialogue as people tend to go on a bit, but the character’s responses to you rushing them, always provides a little giggle.

There are also all the little moments, or hidden areas you run into along the way. A favourite scene was the haunted house, especially with the creepy dude looking at you and then walking away, I’m hoping more comes out of that little bit. And of course, I’m looking forward to getting into the Bigfoot mystery.

However, I find myself getting so frustrated with this game. Just some bits that feel like a missed opportunity, almost, lazy. I'm reluctant to use that word as I can understand the work that goes into a game.

But for instance, when you meet the specialist Jess Black - she goes into gruesome detail about the guy you're hunting "The Cook" a sadistic cannibal, who starves people and feeds human meat to them etc etc etc, so I’m thinking "Oh cool, a mini boss", I’m picturing a tall, probably fat dude, with a dirty apron, covered in blood, with a huge knife or something.... NOPE, just a run of the mill s**t bad guy with a flamethrower who looks just like all the other crap AI, such a huge let down.

With the main villains, well, I like the idea of who they are and get the type of characters they're supposed to be, (the performances are awesome) - but I just don't care about them. Get bored of the dialogue, find myself skipping a lot of it, ‘cuz it just goes on and on and on. I thought this game would be a bit crazier and more interesting, but it just seems to fall short of what it could have been, but hey-ho, the BLAM BLAM BLAM side of it is great so there's that.

What bothered me the most though was the constant repetitive, inescapable - get drugged, get caught, escape, s**t narrative. It’s the most annoying and stupid thing. All it did was break me away from my enjoyment of the game, it's frustrating. I wouldn't mind if it happened out of nowhere once or twice, as a little surprise, but 9 times?! And to only go and do the same s**t 3 times for each boss? Again, it just felt a bit all to familiar, somewhat lazy and unnecessary. It's like some studio head was like "This is what people loved from 3! Let's just multiply that s**t!!"

This is my first ever review online for anything media based, but I just had to for this game as I really want to love it all the way to 10, but I just can't. There's not a lot about it that made me care. That being said, I brought it, I'm yet to finish it, and apparently, I have a disappointing ending ahead of me. However, I do have a WHOLE bunch of collecting to do, so I’m happy about that. They also give you the option to reset all of the out posts, so think I’ll do that too, make it a little more exciting.

I’ll most likely check out the DLC’s, but not before watching the trailers and seeing what some of the reviews are saying.
  79. Apr 1, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bland, blank, silent protagonist. Average gameplay. Average gunplay. Interesting side characters. Mildly interesting villain. Three bad endings. Either you become a mindless slave for the cult, you allow the cult to continue abusing and hurting others, or you Joseph bombs the entire state and/or country - effectively killing everyone you tried to save and undoing all the hours of gameplay spent trying to put an end to the cult. No ending allows you to "win" and kill the bastard. Expand
  80. Apr 14, 2018
    This game feels unfinished and everything about it feels rushed and not thought out and executed well. The combat ai is worse than any recent shooter, the driving sucks (the cars keep making a gear change sound forever even though you are going the same speed lol) which is standard for farcry, but this is 2018 they need to fix it. Most importantly though you don't feel like there is anyThis game feels unfinished and everything about it feels rushed and not thought out and executed well. The combat ai is worse than any recent shooter, the driving sucks (the cars keep making a gear change sound forever even though you are going the same speed lol) which is standard for farcry, but this is 2018 they need to fix it. Most importantly though you don't feel like there is any reason to keep playing, the game doesn't give you reasons like I previous games such as hunt X to unlock a weapon, or take X amount of bases to unlock a weapon, everything is available right from the start of you have enough cash or spend real money on silver bars like a loser. I gave up on the game about halfway through, as I already had all the strongest weapons and the story sucks so no point to keep playing. Expand
  81. Nov 30, 2018
    Great game, story was awesome. Don't bother with the cuck reviews who wanted the game to be conservative bashing idiocy.
  82. Apr 28, 2018
    Personally I can't stand this game, the way it constantly interrupts you when you're just trying to explore and play is maybe the worst game mechanic I've ever encountered. What the heck were they thinking? Idk I hated it throughout, to each is own I guess, if you're on the fence about buying it, I'd get it preowned so you can at least return this turd like I did!
  83. Apr 1, 2018
    The story is just terrible. You end up cutting any scene you can. The story cut scenes jump in and take control of your game over and over and over until you get pissed. All you want to do is run through the map playing the game and completing quests... then the story cut scene jumps in and ruins the gameplay experience.
    I was getting more and more frustrated as I played. The ending was
    I was getting more and more frustrated as I played. The ending was absolutely moronic. It finished off the stupid storyline with a far worse than imagined ending. I hated it. It ruined the game for me
    On the upside, the gameplay is fun and engaging. There are tons of bugs and glitches that annoyed me, but I kept coming back so I could blow up more stuff.
  84. Mar 31, 2018
    Don't believe the hype! I did my best to like this game after hearing mostly positive reviews, praising the open world, mission structure and the like. I thought I would be able to play it my own way... boy, was I fooled. Gone are the days of choosing my loadout and going for the stealth approach. Now the way the perk points/leveling system work you end up having to do things and useDon't believe the hype! I did my best to like this game after hearing mostly positive reviews, praising the open world, mission structure and the like. I thought I would be able to play it my own way... boy, was I fooled. Gone are the days of choosing my loadout and going for the stealth approach. Now the way the perk points/leveling system work you end up having to do things and use weapons you may never have wanted to use; like for me, running into a base with a flamethrower all the while hucking grenades just to earn a few extra perk points. The missions you do don't even contribute to your experience bar, because you don't have one, and therefore just end up feeling like mostly a time waste. Yes, doing many of the missions does propel you through the story by way of resistance points, but that won't make your character better and in turn leaves me less driven to do them; the storyline is one of the weakest in the series, after the opening introduction much steam is lost. The world in itself may be nice, but feels aimless in that you're given very little direction.

If you just want an open world to explore, or find yourself hard up for some Ubisoft Club points, by all means give the game a wirl, it may be for you. I however find this game to be a downgrade in many ways, from the silent protagonist to the directionless mission structure, it is not for me and I feel very misled. At the very least do yourself a favor and wait for a sale.
  85. Mar 28, 2018
    Disturbing and risky story! Gameplay and open world of the best that exists! In my point of view is the best FarCry there is. I do not understand why people criticize when trying to sidestep past games. Because they also criticize when it is the same. For me it's a masterpiece.
  86. Mar 28, 2018
    Ubisoft strikes again.

Ubisoft strikes again.

As for many other titles released by the (in)famous software house, FarCry5 is doomed by bugs at day 1 release. After about 4 hours of play, I got a gamebreaking bug that forced me to restart my gamethrough from scratch (Ubisoft support obviusly can't help, and, as always, it ends up like hitting a gumwall with your head). The bug is related to a mission where you need to recover a vehicle: as I died after getting back that vehicle, but before being able to bring it to final destination, I'm stuck into the mission as the the vehicole is not in existence anymore and I'm not allowed to "Exit Mission", as doing that simply bring me back to last saved checkpoint. And the suggested solution from the support team is to just cloud your saves often. Because yeah, I pay 60bucks to being forced to backup save each half an hour or so. Additionally the game suffers some fps drops even on PS4Pro and the manual save simply don't works.

The game "per se" is still a good FarCry staple, plenty of activities and stuff to do, even if way too chaothic if the randomizer decide to strike hard on you (try to stay at a crossroads for few minutes, and you'll probably won't be able to move around anymore due to the amount of enemy vehicles will ammass in the area, just because they pass by and get involved in gunfight), with some nice new way on how acquiring objectives works. The graphics are very good (as long as you don't fly) and the gameplay is solid (the story is a bit of a meh, even if it does offers interesting bosses, opposed to the basci enemies that are so repetitive it hurts) but none of these good aspects are truly innovative and surely don't balance Ubisoft abitude to release unfinished, unpolished retail products.
  87. Mar 28, 2018
    Ive played every far cry and dont get the mixed reviews for this. I went into this thinking id be bored of the formula because i got bored with primal more than halfway through due to repetition. This game has changed enough things and plays out so differently then other games that it doesnt bore me. You can take things on in whatever order you want and that feels incredibly organic andIve played every far cry and dont get the mixed reviews for this. I went into this thinking id be bored of the formula because i got bored with primal more than halfway through due to repetition. This game has changed enough things and plays out so differently then other games that it doesnt bore me. You can take things on in whatever order you want and that feels incredibly organic and fun. Graphics and gameplay are tight and atmosphere on point. The flaws are the AI, bugs and overall story. Im honestly not bothered by bugs or dumb AI as much as others but i see how it could bother some and tbh i like the story and characters so far. Crazy cult horror movies are some of my fav so this story really interests me. The characters are interesting and they help set a great tone. Overall this is becoming my fav of the series and i recommend to anyone 9/10. Expand
  88. Mar 31, 2018
    Far Cry has never been my favorite series, but always good enough for a couple dozen hours of play. So not expecting a game of the year, but still disappointed Ubi dropped the ball on some big things

Pros: Beautiful looking game Most sound effects and the addition of an echo Cons: Feels like the least amount of destructible-environment I have seen since FC2 You can't shoot TVs

Pros:
    Beautiful looking game
    Most sound effects and the addition of an echo

Cons:
    Feels like the least amount of destructible-environment I have seen since FC2
    You can't shoot TVs or even turn radios off
    The music matched the them, but just the Pause menu music got so annoying, I switched Music to Off
    Glitchy game right now 3/31/18
    I hear and see a vehicle of enemies pulling up towards me, and will randomly disappear entirely
    I have gotten stuck several times acending a wall with the grappling hook
    The amount of times NPCs have you locked into a conversation when you are getting a radio call from someone, or bad guys are shooting you, or the most recent for me; getting bit by a rattlesnake. I suppose it makes it more realistic, but meh
    Stores in-game seem to all want to connect to Ubisoft online or something, because they take forever to load up and sometimes get stuck
    The loading times suck in this game. Yeah, it's huge and graphical, but so was Wildlands, and I feel strong those loading times were slightly less
    Crafting is almost completely gone. You can craft a few explosive devices, and that's it I believe. And you pick those up all the time anyway. This makes looting and hunting almost obsolete, as money comes by better with just side and main missions.
    Gun variety seems to have taken a step back from FC4. I suspect Ubi is gonna try and push micro transactions heavily on guns and vehicles.
    Blow up cars or helicopters just kind of hang around as a blackened version of itself, never splitting into pieces or blowing up entirely
    The game wasn't hard, but I decided to drop the difficulty level from Hard to Normal just because of how frequently bad guys pop-up EVERYWHERE. Can't get a 30 sec reprieve without them lining up.
    This makes stealth play pretty useless, with how easy it is to get caupght. I had a silenced sniper that works sometimes, but try to shoot a lone sniper on a tall barn roof? Everyone around goes on alert. Needs tweaking.

Par:
    Story - Bad guys are okay with decent voice acting. Better than Wildlands, and they can't keep trying to replicate Vaas, so that's fine
    Driving is done a good bit on dirt roads, so can be a bit of a pain to make quick escapes and turns, but adds to the realism
    They abandoned giving your character a voice, like Ubi finally realized their usual main characters are so darn cookie-cutter, that they couldn't figure anything out better than silence
    Create a character is something I always love, but this round is so useless as a pure FPS, and the options seem even more cash grabby than WIldlands

In the end, I found myself wishing some of the game was more like Dying Light, as this game is a par Far Cry game, but took some shuffles back on some of the most important aspects of what makes a game a Far Cry game for me.
  89. Apr 1, 2018
    Like the game, but due to an error Ubisoft refuses to acknowledge, I quite literally cannot play it.
  90. Apr 15, 2018
    After 14 into this game. It seems like a step forward and a step backwards in the far cry series.

Positive: The graphics are very done huge map to explore semi interesting story Negative: The environment is dead, trees don't move when there's an explosion or when you fly a helicopter near them like they did in fry cry 4. when you shoot at the trees? nothing happens. There's TOO

Positive: The graphics are very done
    huge map to explore
    semi interesting story

There's TOO MUCH ACTION!! enemies come left and right out of nowhere. this is really annoying and it doesn't seem real. its just over the top!

The game needs to be more polished.
  91. Jul 5, 2018
    Far cry 5 is the biggest **** that ubisoft have made since unity, is a bad history , with bad characters and worst gameplay than far cry 2, i prefer to eat my own arm that play again this abortion i hate you, f*** you ubisoft
  92. Apr 15, 2018
    The game itself has a gorgeous map, and the general feel whilst traversing through the forests is nice. I have enjoyed the combat mechanics overall, and the perks system seems to be just fine. However, the amount of enemies you encounter on the road first up in each of the three main zones without liberating many outposts is just too much to bare sometimes. The enemies and allies alikeThe game itself has a gorgeous map, and the general feel whilst traversing through the forests is nice. I have enjoyed the combat mechanics overall, and the perks system seems to be just fine. However, the amount of enemies you encounter on the road first up in each of the three main zones without liberating many outposts is just too much to bare sometimes. The enemies and allies alike seem to be a total of about 6 models, you'll start to see familiar faces over and over and over again. The allies in particular do not seem to know how to cross a road properly, and will do dumb stuff like run into a fire that you've created accidentally whilst blowing up a fuel truck. There is also a bug currently where you maybe stuck playing in night time mode, my suggestion is to find a quest/ liberate an outpost which has an ending cut scene that is in day time. The game does also have a sub par ending, but i won't go into that in detail. My overall feel of the environments would be like a 9/10 but the repetitive nature of enemies and the dumbed down AI system for both allies and foes, i'd give a 3/10. The gameplay such as fighting/driving i'd give a 7.5/10. Expand
  93. Sep 14, 2018
    Feels like Tom Clancy's Wildlands with Fps camera and a lot smaller (and empty) map.
  94. Apr 3, 2018
    jeu tout a fait correct mais trés répitif et histoire pas franchement présente on passe 8 heure a aller d'un point A a un point B
  95. Feb 19, 2019
    Having played Far Cry 1, 2, 3, & 4, I'm pretty familiar to the Far Cry game-play. What brings me back each time is the setting and Far Cry is come pretty close to being my favorite game in the series, right behind Far Cry 3. I won't go into detail about the game because anyone who's played the previous games will feel right at home with these game mechanics, but for the uninitiated, its aHaving played Far Cry 1, 2, 3, & 4, I'm pretty familiar to the Far Cry game-play. What brings me back each time is the setting and Far Cry is come pretty close to being my favorite game in the series, right behind Far Cry 3. I won't go into detail about the game because anyone who's played the previous games will feel right at home with these game mechanics, but for the uninitiated, its a first person shooter in a open world with a cool setting and an interesting antagonist. If you enjoy the previous games, you'll enjoy this. If you didn't then there's a high change you wont enjoy it. The setting is what really sold me, the scoring is amazing but the story never hits any 'edge of your seats' high and the game-play hasn't change much from the old games. To sum it up, it's not bad, but it's not gonna blow you away. Expand
  96. May 5, 2018
    Far Cry 5
    Pretty Bland
    Far Cry 5 is the first numbered game I’ve played in the series since far cry 2… After hearing such great things about this game I thought my experience would be even better since Far Cry 5 would feel so fresh and new to me because I haven’t played 3 or 4.. I wouldn’t have that this is just more of the same kind feeling.. And despite this.. that feeling is
    Far Cry 5
    Pretty Bland
    Far Cry 5 is the first numbered game I’ve played in the series since far cry 2…
    I wouldn’t have that this is just more of the same kind feeling..
    And despite this.. that feeling is exactly what I got here..
    Far Cry 5 feels like just another bland and boring shooter…
    The game takes play in a fictional hope county Montana USA
    you play as your own created character out to take down Joseph Seed… A cult leader..
    But to get to him in car cry fashion you have to regain control and liberate 3 different territories and take down his 3 siblings….
    You can take them down in and order you’d like.. though the game suggests you start in the south and make your way up, so this is exactly what I did starting with John Seed…
    And by this games roughly 28 hour long campaign you’ll understand exactly why the game suggests you start at the bottom and work your way up..
    John seeds section is easily the strongest part of the game in terms of world building and level design… every area of this section of the map is memorable, it feels worth exploring for its treasures, the side quests feel worth doing…
    And this is the majority of the campaign as well, taking me about 13 hours to clear, and then it’s on top faith seed which took about 10 hours to clear… the world building is miles weaker, but these 10 hours are saved by one of my favorite villains in video game history..
    This was hands down my favorite chunk of the game thanks to how unique her individual missions are as you’re dealing with something called the bliss.. this causes hallucinations, and a creepily charming, seductive and hypnotic crazy girl that we’ve all dated before, and then the final 5 hours of the game is dealing with the mediocre Jacob seed section…
    the world building in the north of this map is mind numbing garbage.. no heart here whatsoever…
    so I’m happy it takes up so little of the campaign time…
    But to get to these story missions you have to bring these characters out.. you have to cause mayhem around the world..
    and this is what far cry fans love about the game…
    liberating posts, destroying property, rescuing characters and animals like cheese burger the bear to call them in to help you during missions, you Can even play through the world co op with friends
    and after you’ve done enough damage you’ll be marked and they will hunt you down and you then have to escape whatever scenario you find yourself in.. sadly, though there are only 3 missions for each character aside from their introduction…
    such a massive disappointment..
    especially with a character such as faith seed..
    it’s a shame how underused she is
    I honestly would’ve preferred if she was the only character in the game, and we were constantly dealing with her tricks and seduction..
    shes so well written,
    sadly this isn’t what we get… I feel that the first chunk if this game is the only section where any of this chaos causing gar cry fans enjoy is any fun
    the faith seed section is saved by the character, but that’s the only redeeming quality.. the world gets more bland as the game goes on
    After I cleared the first part of the map I resorted to just clearing missions with a helicopter.. that’s how little I cared to explore..
    outside of the campaign there is a decently fun arcade mode where you can build your own singpleypalyer, co op, or death match maps using assets from the past far cry games and even games like assassins creed..
    plenty to get creative with..
    but if you’re like me and creating the levels isn’t your thing you can just hop in to play other peoples maps or even have some decently fun competitive play with some alright maps thrown in there…
    there isn’t the call of duty polish here, but I had a decent amount of fun.
    Far Cry 5 has its moments of greatness despite feeling a bit lazy as it goes on.
    this would’ve been a better game had it been smaller and more polished with much more narrative focus
    I know Ubisoft would disagree with such a statement but at the end of the game I think we can all agree
    We need a faith seed game
    I give Far Cry 5
    a 7.5/10
  97. Apr 8, 2018
    The main thing that pissed me off is that this game's co-op cannot be play with random players. The story this time is decent with a tons of great characters. The new buddy system is awesome, my favorite one is boomer and cheeseburger bear. And is good that they remove the tower climbing and make you to explore the map by yourself. And the side missions actually have some variety, I don'tThe main thing that pissed me off is that this game's co-op cannot be play with random players. The story this time is decent with a tons of great characters. The new buddy system is awesome, my favorite one is boomer and cheeseburger bear. And is good that they remove the tower climbing and make you to explore the map by yourself. And the side missions actually have some variety, I don't feel like doing the same stuff over and over. The best stuff I think is the new airplanes and helicopters that player can control, I want those for a while and Ubisoft finally put them in. Although the game is pretty and fluent, but it is still the same formula with the similar animations and system. I really hope that they innovate more in Farcry 6. The arcade mode is fun and amazing, but I still hope you can play with random players. Still think is a great game and worth the money Expand
  98. Apr 10, 2018
    Far Cry 5 is a lot of fun! The main/side missions are pretty good and when roaming (beautiful) Montana you get distracted by - everything - because of the vast number of events. The location and characters fit the Far Cry series excellent! The game is divided into 3 areas, but by the time you reach the 3rd area things are starting to get repetitive. Story is OK - some like a silentFar Cry 5 is a lot of fun! The main/side missions are pretty good and when roaming (beautiful) Montana you get distracted by - everything - because of the vast number of events. The location and characters fit the Far Cry series excellent! The game is divided into 3 areas, but by the time you reach the 3rd area things are starting to get repetitive. Story is OK - some like a silent protagonist, but I would've preferred a talking protagonist. Expand
  99. Jul 16, 2018
    I really liked this game at first but the campaign is pretty short and the online multiplayer is garbage.
  100. Sep 19, 2018
    i just finished it,
    +nice graphics
    +exciting gameplay
    -bad story
    -repetitive missions

Generally favorable reviews - based on 83 Critic Reviews

1. Jun 6, 2018
    This fresh take on the Far Cry franchise is clearly visible content-wise, but a tad more discrete on the style. If you're not bothered by the slightly repetitive formula, you'll enjoy the many strengths of this episode.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    May 21, 2018
    A mostly excellent sandbox that delights with its gorgeous world, breadth of activities, and stellar shootouts. It can be a bit grindy, mind.[June 2018, p.93]
  3. May 7, 2018
    Far Cry 5 established itself as one of the best in the series, The game features some gorgeous scenery, an engaging story and the overall story is great fun and the theme is very realistic. The game mixes up the missions so it doesn't get repetitive halfway through the game. Far Cry 5 is a great entry to the series for newbies and veterans alike.