8.2

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Feb 4, 2020
    This game is a metaphor. It's unclear through the actual game what it's a metaphor for, unless you complete various obscure optional challenges and get all the collectables.

The highlight of the game is the gorgeous, hand-drawn graphics. The world is very pretty, and the cutscenes are reminiscent of indie animated films. It's entirely wordless except for the instructions of what button to press when you get a new ability (which happens only 3 times).

As for gameplay, it's a puzzle-platformer. None of the platforming is at all challenging, and most of the puzzles are obvious on the face of them. One or two will require a bit of experimentation, but that's about it. There are also hidden collectibles, some of which are moderately challenging, but most of which just involve going the "wrong" way at a juncture. It's not at all obvious which way is right and which is wrong, so you're likely to miss several on your first playthrough. The controls are smooth, but with the game's plodding pace it hardly matters.

If you want something pretty, slow-paced, and thought-provoking, you'll enjoy this. If you want something exciting or challenging, with a narrative story, you should pass.
  2. Jun 21, 2020
    Artistically this game was wonderful, I personally love the use of colour in games since its highly under used. The music hit me right at the best moments and at points I was wondering why exactly was I so sad watching this poor little character cry over a statue. It wasn't till near the end it clicked (and when I accidentally unlocked an achievement mentioning one of the stages of grief)Artistically this game was wonderful, I personally love the use of colour in games since its highly under used. The music hit me right at the best moments and at points I was wondering why exactly was I so sad watching this poor little character cry over a statue. It wasn't till near the end it clicked (and when I accidentally unlocked an achievement mentioning one of the stages of grief) that I realised really what this game was showing. Its a short but wonderful game and I think fans of other smaller games like Journey will like this as well. Expand
  3. Jul 6, 2020
    Отличная игра. Картинка отличная. Геймплей неплох, но не более. Всё прохождение не мог понять метафоры и считал её поверхностной, а потом нашёл секретный ролик и кааак понял.
  4. Oct 10, 2020
    Beautiful, artistic, creative, gentle, relaxing. My only criticism is that there are some times where it's a little unclear at how to proceed due to the level design. Overall, I enjoyed it very much.
  5. Jul 10, 2020
    File GRIS on my "wanted to like it more than I did" list. It's a beautiful game, but some of the later levels relied a lot more on backtracking and pixel hunting than I expected. A lot of progression was about interacting with things you could miss and I found myself running around the levels a lot. So, frustrating but not much of a sense of accomplishment when you figure it out.

INSIDE

INSIDE is still the gold standard for character puzzle platformers for me and I liked it's environmental puzzles a lot more.

Meanwhile GOROGOA is the Rolls Royce of beautiful indie puzzle games with its subtle feedback when you're heading in the right direction. I'd recommend either of those games before Gris, but it's still worth a play.
  6. Jun 2, 2020
    Gris
    ......................................................................
  7. Jan 3, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Cup head frustratingly difficult at some points Cool idea though , make it playable !! Expand
  8. Jan 11, 2020
    Beautiful artstyle, melancholic lyrical story, touching music. The gameplay is rather basic, but still engaging through it's 3 hours of gameplay time.
  9. Jan 4, 2021
    Dieses Spiel hat mich echt verzaubert. Alles auf Top-Niveau und am Ende sind sogar Tränen geflossen.

Spielzeit - ca. 3 Stunden

Optik = 2/2
    Technik = 2/2

FAZIT = 10/10
  10. May 25, 2020
    The art style was what drew me to this game and it didn't disappoint as it features a stunning hand-drawn watercolour world. Gameplay-wise, a relatively short puzzle platformer that was not really challenging. Found most of the collectables on the first run and backtracked with chapter select to cleanup. The storytelling is silent and surreal. It managed to conjure up some thoughts aboutThe art style was what drew me to this game and it didn't disappoint as it features a stunning hand-drawn watercolour world. Gameplay-wise, a relatively short puzzle platformer that was not really challenging. Found most of the collectables on the first run and backtracked with chapter select to cleanup. The storytelling is silent and surreal. It managed to conjure up some thoughts about love and loss which I didn't expect. Overall, a short yet beautiful game and those should be supported. Buy this game! Expand
  11. Feb 24, 2021
    The graphics and music are really nice, but theres not really anything else about this game to make it worth playing. 64/100
  12. Sep 3, 2020
    There is no doubt that Gris is a beautiful and remarkable game, however the flaws are worth noting also.

Firstly, the graphics are unique. Gris is distinctive in its colour palettes and growing beauty that evolves as the game progresses. The only real downside of the graphics are that it can be difficult to differentiate what is background and what is an obstacle. This also makes it difficult to notice the subtleties such as breakable blocks in some parts of the game.

The music is good but inconsistent. It seems to phase in and out during the quiet moments and appropriately become louder and emotional at the right moments.

The gameplay is where it gets interesting. Most of it involves traversing an evolving environment that is a beauty to explore. One substantial issue I have is that a regular aspect of the game involves collecting little pixels of light to progress. This gets quite stale and repetitive quickly. I would have liked to have seen a good chunk of it removed and it would have made it a more enjoyable experience for me. I thought it caused to game to be a bit drawn out towards the end and tarnished the final sections.

The story is also a bit odd. A quick search online tells me the story is based in grief, as do five of the trophies. This isn't very obvious in the game but doesn't really detract from my enjoyment unless I begin questioning the point of the whole game. It comes as a bit overly avant-garde and pretentious to make the theme ambiguous (it could be depression, psychosis etc. as well as grief) but again this isn't really an issue for me.

Overall, it was the last third of the game that felt a tad tedious, however this is still a very good game and I want to see more like this. Despite my score, this was a very welcome change from the AAA garbage commonly flooding the market at present.
  13. Dec 11, 2020
    Deeply moving and uplifting. Almost no other work of art has resonated with me the way Gris has. Although it may not resonate with everyone the same way, I think that those dealing with loss will see something special in this game. It's gameplay may be simplistic, but to judge Gris based on it's mechanics and not it's emotion would be to miss the point.
  14. Aug 16, 2021
    Really beautiful game, visually, sonically, and emotionally. Everyone should play this at least once considering how short, cheap, and great it is.
  15. May 10, 2021
    Very nice game with great art and music. As cons I could mention abstract story-line. But in general very good game.
  16. May 25, 2020
    Simple and beautiful. The entire game is silent (no dialogue) but is a metaphor told through color and music, each one fitting perfectly with the "chapter"of the story. Besides the specific use of color there is also use of sound design to set the tone a create a beautiful mood (footsteps and rain for example). The puzzles aren't challenging but that is not the point, the game servesSimple and beautiful. The entire game is silent (no dialogue) but is a metaphor told through color and music, each one fitting perfectly with the "chapter"of the story. Besides the specific use of color there is also use of sound design to set the tone a create a beautiful mood (footsteps and rain for example). The puzzles aren't challenging but that is not the point, the game serves amazingly as a relaxing experience that does not require dialogue to tell its story but rather let the world design present it. Expand
  17. Dec 19, 2019
    Me encanta, es una experiencia de juego, sin instrucciones, vas avanzando y vas aprendiendo lo que hay que hacer, la imagen está muy bien cuidada, y mención especial a la banda sonora. Un plataformas low-cost muy Recomendable
  18. Jan 31, 2020
    It's really beautiful game. Even a sorrow in here has its beauty. Simply have no words to describe how deeply I love this game
  19. Jan 12, 2020
    Beautifully made, great score. Platform game, easy at times, some times the transitions are a bit long, but overall a superb game. I love the fact that there are no instructions, what to do how to do it, so you have to solve the puzzle yourself. Great art, pity it is rather short.
  20. Aug 10, 2020
    Um dos jogos mais lindos que já vi, simplesmente me amarrei só pelo design gráfico épico que ele possui, espero que a Devolver faça mais jogos assim no futuro em melhor qualidade de jogatina.
  21. May 12, 2020
    Beautiful ambient-puzzle game. Very short and quite easy, definitely relaxing. Would recommend.
  22. Jan 29, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Esse jogo e incrivel a trilha sonora a arte o modo que o jogo vai se fechando ate chegar na parte que ela ve que ela e o maior obstaculo dela Expand
  23. Mar 25, 2021
    95%
    Gris is one of the most emotional and best experiences I've ever had in video games.
    It's visually a masterpiece and the soundtrack is simply breathtaking. Gameplay wise is very simple but for me it wasn't a problem because of the gorgeous animations and art style. The atmosphere is phenomenal and the sound design is always on point. The only thing that keeps it from reaching 100% for
    95%
    It's visually a masterpiece and the soundtrack is simply breathtaking.
    The only thing that keeps it from reaching 100% for me is mostly its longevity and puzzle design.
    Some puzzles feel like they could have been more fleshed out and complex.
    I wish we could interact more with its world too, there were so many areas that had the potential to be even more memorable.
    With that said, if you're a sucker for superb art style and atmosphere I couldn't recommend Gris enough. Seriously, what an experience.
  24. Feb 7, 2021
    Juego hermoso de principio a fin y con una profunda carga sentimental detrás de todo el juego, lo único negativo es la duración.
  25. Mar 3, 2021
    It would actually be an 8.5/10. Graphics is amazing, story is good, music is the best, but gameplay and puzzle can be confusing at times (or I suck, idk).
  26. Apr 9, 2020
    A game which is not famous for its gameplay it is a slow game with good graphics and an really excellent soundtrack. the pictures and sound together gave me goosebumps on certain places,
  27. Apr 20, 2020
    Stunning game. Buy it! It is 100% worth it. It's athletically pleasing, well paced and has a phenomenal sound track. There are exciting bits, fun puzzles and leaves you with a warm how afterwards
  28. May 13, 2020
    While maybe a great piece of art, it is rarely a good game.
    Initially the theme of colour directly and clearly relates to narrative and things are slowly moving forward until everything jolts forward and you are left with a complete, saturated pallette, wondering how it got to this so quickly. Conceptually great, but some more time in the oven would've gone a long way.
    I feel similarly
    While maybe a great piece of art, it is rarely a good game.
    I feel similarly about the music, we are constantly teased with sparse instrumentation which is throttling to be released, but when it reaches the crescendo, it loses its personality and becomes forgettable.
    The narrative, whilst very good, lacks a specificity that would elevate the experience. I understand what the story was trying to be, and it achieves that goal perfectly, but is it a worthwhile target to start off with for such a team clearly so capable of being evocotive and dealing with tough issues.
    Devolver keeps indie development just about breathing, once more.
  29. Oct 25, 2020
    Solo debes sentarte, relajarte y jugarlo! 10/10 a este belicismo juego.....
  30. Jun 20, 2020
    Nice design, short story, should be a little longer, music is fine, the character is a little too slow
  31. Jun 30, 2020
    Gris shines with a goosebump-inducing score and some of the most beautiful art direction I have ever seen in a video game.
  32. Jun 30, 2020
    Magnifique, beau, doux, profond, touchant. Ce jeu m'a vraiment émue. Je recommande
  33. Jul 19, 2020
    Beautiful visual style. The story leaves room for own interpretations. Although not much content available, I truly enjoyed this game.
  34. Dec 4, 2020
    Joguinho indie 2D bem bonito visualmente. Para entender a história do jogo é necessário interpretação, mas a mensagem por trás dela é bem bonita também. O jogo tem puzzles legais e as artes mais lindas que eu já vi em jogos.
  35. Sep 1, 2020
    Es una pasada de juego, pero muy corto. Cumple su función, que es entretener e hipnotizar con su belleza artística.
  36. Mar 16, 2021
    Одна из самых красивых игр, что я видел. Музыкально - тоже все прекрасно. Героиня чудесная, как и ее пение. Хорошая игра для отдыха.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 7 Critic Reviews

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Jan 9, 2020
    A beautiful puzzle platformer with a clear artistic and mechanical vision. However, its story holds you at arm’s length and makes it tricky to find its heart. [Issue@#171, p.96]
  2. Dec 11, 2019
    Quotation forthcoming.
    What I expected from GRIS was a solid, beautiful, platformer that could occupy a few hours of my time. What I got from GRIS was quite close to that, but somehow more beautiful than I could have ever considered or expected. If you want to see just how artistic games can get, or if you’re like me and just need a few hours occupied by beauty and platforming, then it’s hard to go wrong with GRIS.