4.4

1. Oct 12, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The combat mechanics and the nemesis system are the only reason that this is getting a 4 from me, they have been greatly improved since shadow of mordor. The story on the other hand is absolutely rotten, as a massive fan of Tolkiens work it sickens me to see his lore broken to such a degree that it actually bothers me more than the microtransactions (we'll get to them shortly). The way they portrayed shelob as some sort of shape shifting psychic is just so immersion breaking. same goes for the ringwraiths, to make isildur and helm hammerhand ringwraiths is a spit in the face to Tolkien and its constantly on my mind while trying to get through the monotonous grind. Now as for the microtransactions, I haven't felt the need or urge to purchase any lootboxes because I would rather earn my gear and orcs but to put them in a fully priced singleplayer game is an unnecessary distraction that takes away from the experience, it is always subtly leading you to the marketplace shoving them in you're face. It also affects the balance substantially towards the end with you having to constantly defend your strongholds in order to get the true ending, the grind at this stage is so tedious that it would force a lot of people to just spend their money to get through it, either that or if you're like me it will force you to quit the game and watch the ending on youtube. This game would have been so much more interesting and enjoyable if they used the lore that Tolkien had written and if they hadn't included the balance breaking microtransactions. Expand
  2. Oct 17, 2017
    While I've read the endless posts about microtransactions, these have seemed to lose all meaning in today's gaming ecosystem. Developers/publishers don't seem to care about the public outcry. In truth though, you don't need the boxes nor do you have to do anything but complete the content to beat the game and get through the narrative.

What is god awful here is the thing everybody

What is god awful here is the thing everybody adored in the 1st title: The nemesis system. I personally found it a novelty in the 1st game, but here it is so overdone that it ruins the entire experience. Fine, hunt down a captain, that's good. He kills you and gets stronger, ok. Hunt him down for revenge, that's great. Have 6 captains "MAGICALLY appear" on top of that vengeance target and be all varying levels (I was level 2, that got killed by a lvl 9, then lvl10 and then was surrounded by 6 Lvl 5-15 captains). Not only that, but each, and, every, one, had, to, wax, poetic, about, how, they, were, going, to, kill, me. And yea this is an option you can turn off, but really I didn't think 6 FREAKING CAPTAINS WOULD JUST POP ON TOP OF ME!

The menus are another unmitigated mess. They are so convoluted I honestly think the designer and programmer were drinking buddies and worked on them through all-night drunken binges. It's astonishingly bad. My eyes hurt fiddling around in them.

You can take narrative liberties from time to time, but Shelob is the most ham-fisted insertion to grace this series. The time scale for events are just completely out of sync with the LOTR. Minas Ithil is long gone by the time of the war of the ring. The argument could be made that well, we are at those events. Well then, explain Gollum being in Mordor from the 1st title! He wouldn't have been there! Hell, he'd still be wallowing in a freakin cave under Moria!!

The worst part of all of this..is the entirety of the game...is just boring. You are doing the same handful of things over and over and over and OVER! It's just one giant collect-O-thon within the confines of the map, and really silly online "vendetta" targets for some reason. You get gear....but....it's just gear. Nothing about this is needed, it's just PADDING!

Bloat, bloat and lazy programming with a shamble of a writer's team make up this title. Couple that with a ridiculous terms of service agreement (Forced Arbitration with an option to opt out in 30 days) and the fact if you don't accept the terms of service, you can't play the game and you can't return the game (because you opened it). It's a damn catch 22 and it's gotta be illegal!

Pass on this, pass on this hard. If I can avoid it, I will steer clear of ANY WB game in the future.
  3. Oct 12, 2017
    they finished the game doing these microtransactions to be able to continue in the history, this is a shame! the gamer community has to come together for this kind of thing not to invade the consoles.
    shame, shame, shame!
  4. Oct 11, 2017
    Not far into the game and have ran into a few bugs the controls feel sloppy the UI is a mess and one cheap death when the game froze on me but we all know the loot box controversy and just feels bad the game has a bad cloud over it and it being mediocre doesn't help.
  5. Oct 12, 2017
    Microtransactions in an $60 single player game is like buying a nice car and then after driving it for 1 year, a message pops up on the dashboard saying you can only drive a maximum of 40 mph unless you purchase more "credits".

Unacceptable filthy greed.
  6. Oct 12, 2017
    GARBAGE!
    THIS WILL GET WORSE!!
    HELP SAVE GAMING! shadow Mordor was amazing and I loved it once I mastered controls/abilities. The DLC was even uber. ***CLICK eveyr presons name that gave a 10,,right click their name,open in new tab,,this way u don't lose youre spot and you can see that Mordor is either the only game they've reviewed other games and gave a 10 to xboxone + PS4. fighy
    GARBAGE!
    THIS WILL GET WORSE!!
    HELP SAVE GAMING!

shadow Mordor was amazing and I loved it once I mastered controls/abilities.
    The DLC was even uber.
    ***CLICK eveyr presons name that gave a 10,,right click their name,open in new tab,,this way u don't lose youre spot and you can see that Mordor is either the only game they've reviewed other games and gave a 10 to xboxone + PS4. fighy because they we're paid..
    The witcher devs & Hillary Clinton did this..they all do it..wtf kind of swine gamer sells out like this!!!

**"BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY THE MICRO LOOT BOXES"
    Ok, have you seen the new STarWars Battlefront Beta and how loot box starcards are pay2win and you don't think this is a MEGA gaming issue???are you pretending or really this shortminded??
    *THIS WLL GET WORSE..
  7. Oct 12, 2017
    GAMERS, We need to stop saying "discusted with the gaming industry", this is NOT all developers. Lots of fantastic developers out there that understand the microtransaction issue. But like you i am angry, disappointed with Warner Bros and Monolith (was a big fan of Monoliths games). This is really unfortunate that a game that is so good is hampered, held back intentionally because theyGAMERS, We need to stop saying "discusted with the gaming industry", this is NOT all developers. Lots of fantastic developers out there that understand the microtransaction issue. But like you i am angry, disappointed with Warner Bros and Monolith (was a big fan of Monoliths games). This is really unfortunate that a game that is so good is hampered, held back intentionally because they want you to pony up $$$ and buy loot boxes. They intentionally give you crappy orcs etc so you have to buy loot boxes or play stupid fetch quests for hours that intentionally lul you into submission...so you'll buy loot boxes. They've made a great game but hamstrung it so you can't progress without more $$$$. So glad I was able to play this with a friend before i bought it. So disappointed, I thought I'd be rushing to the store to pick this up but the more we played, the more we saw through the money grab scheme. I won't be purchasing this or any Warner Bros/Monolith games in the future. We need to stop this now. Please do not support this game, it's going to kill our favorite past time. Expand
  8. Oct 12, 2017
    This microtransaction crap has to stop. For God's sake. It's a 60$ singleplayer game. We already paid for the game. If you buy this, you encourage the companies to put more of this crap into next games. And don't tell me this **** "you don't have to pay for microtransactions" Are you really so naive thinking that the game won't be designed in a specific way to make you pay for it sooner orThis microtransaction crap has to stop. For God's sake. It's a 60$ singleplayer game. We already paid for the game. If you buy this, you encourage the companies to put more of this crap into next games. And don't tell me this **** "you don't have to pay for microtransactions" Are you really so naive thinking that the game won't be designed in a specific way to make you pay for it sooner or later? Endless grind and other ****? No, thanks. DON"T BUY THIS. Expand
  9. Oct 12, 2017
    Hmm lets see
    -Encouraging kids to gambling
    -Micro-transactions in an already AAA priced game
    -Recycling same content from the first game
    Buying this game should be illegal.
  10. Oct 12, 2017
    Loot boxes are not allowed in the 60$ game! We need to fight back now, otherwise tomorrow we will be offered 60$ for the game, then for 80$ for Season pass and for 100$ to open 5-6 boxes in which the entire content of the game will be found. If the WB gets away with it, then this is the future that awaits us all.
  11. Oct 11, 2017
    Хочешь купить игру и приятно провести пару-тройку вечеров попивая пивасик? Нет, теперь никакого пива, и твоего стула, и монитор тоже придется продать. Перестань ныть и покупай кейсы.

@PayToWin
  12. Oct 11, 2017
    Game ruined by microtransactions. This game is getting good scores from the legacy gaming media because they never have and never will look out for the consumer. If a publisher wants to ruin their game by putting gambling via microtransactions in at the cost of quality then they must accept the poor review scores from the consumer.
  13. Oct 11, 2017
    The game is very confusing you have to hold a two run but if you want to turn your camera you have to stop running then turn the camera then sprint again what the **** The health regen system is retarded and very confusing. And if you are in the middle of a Battle and your health is low you have to run and find an orc to drain to get your health back. This is a very bad game
  14. Oct 11, 2017
    Best thing about this game is its combat and Nemesis system just like in Shadow of Mordor. Like its predecessor though, the game fails terribly at storytelling, character development, and variety in activities. Let's also not forget that someone thought it would be a good idea to put microtransactions in the game. I know that there are many who don't care but this game's anti-consumerBest thing about this game is its combat and Nemesis system just like in Shadow of Mordor. Like its predecessor though, the game fails terribly at storytelling, character development, and variety in activities. Let's also not forget that someone thought it would be a good idea to put microtransactions in the game. I know that there are many who don't care but this game's anti-consumer business model goes to show how much companies care now. You can't even get the true ending unless you have legendary orc followers. This was clearly made to make the loot boxes more appealing due to the tedious grind you'd have to do in order to get them. Vote with your wallet folks, avoid buying this game or wait untill the price drops to at least half of the $60 price tag. Expand
  15. Oct 12, 2017
    0/10 BURN you greedy bastards. The ending is tedious AF! I regret buying and it's already cracked... Should just watched it on youtube. Don't get it why people review it at 10, maybe they are paid, but let me tell you, if you want future of micro-transactions in single-player and gamble just to finish the game then support it, rate 10 and so on, I don't want it. MT's break the game no0/10 BURN you greedy bastards. The ending is tedious AF! I regret buying and it's already cracked... Should just watched it on youtube. Don't get it why people review it at 10, maybe they are paid, but let me tell you, if you want future of micro-transactions in single-player and gamble just to finish the game then support it, rate 10 and so on, I don't want it. MT's break the game no matter how good the game is, World of Warcraft is best MMO for a reason. Expand
  16. Oct 12, 2017
    Pay $85 in my country for this game only to pay for loot boxes in a single player game. Sure you can beat this game without loot boxes but the game literally kills you in the last act of the game because you are forced to grind for 20+ hours to get the legendary orcs you need to finish the game or pay for loot boxes in a single player game to reduce the grind time. Just the lowest of thePay $85 in my country for this game only to pay for loot boxes in a single player game. Sure you can beat this game without loot boxes but the game literally kills you in the last act of the game because you are forced to grind for 20+ hours to get the legendary orcs you need to finish the game or pay for loot boxes in a single player game to reduce the grind time. Just the lowest of the low by a developer. Shame because the first game was great although boring and repetitive at times. Expand
  17. Oct 12, 2017
    Microtransactions, don't waste your time . end game all about buying loot box . suddenly you feel it turned to mobile game where you have buy to progress
  18. Oct 12, 2017
    Micro transactions shoudnt be in game for 60$! That nonsense completely ruined game for me. That and stupid story plus almost same gameplay. Without micro transactions would be 7-8, with it for sure just 0.
  19. Oct 11, 2017
    This is unbelievable, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. Its nothing but a rip off you need to buy loot boxes with YOUR OWN MONEY in order to finish the campaign. The game is full of MICROTRANSACTIONS if you buy this game you are supporting this kind of behavior from the gaming companies. This is a disgusting practice.
  20. Oct 12, 2017
    microtransactions in a single player game is really stepping over the line, especially when you can really feel them being pushed on you. very bad move. I am at a loss for words
  21. Oct 11, 2017
    Grind for weeks for the endgame or Spend a couple of bucks on lootboxes to finish the game which you gonna choose?
    People should not support microtransactions don't believe us go look at dreamcastguy review kids
  22. Oct 11, 2017
    Damn it all to hell!

I'm almost 40, been gaming since Atari and at the peak of performance capabilities gaming is ruined by the all mighty dollar and developer greed. Pay (fot only a chance) at winning. Second half of the game is clearly designed to try and make you spend money. In a full price SINGLE PLAYER game. Unforgivable.
  23. Oct 12, 2017
    Microtransactions in a single player game ? Are you kidding me ? Luckily I watched the review from Angry Joe before buying this game. This has to stop. NOW !
  24. Oct 12, 2017
    making a giant spider a sex figure for wea2boos.
    Microtransactions in single game.
    this is not cheapy mobile game.
    dont buy this game in full price .
  25. Oct 11, 2017
    Loot boxes with a grind wall in single player. Only sort of game where its morally justifiable to pirate. I cannot honestly recommend any one buy this game and forget those shills that say otherwise.
  26. Oct 13, 2017
    Don't be sheeps!! Bare some teeth and fight against a blatant and disgusting business practice. Don't let the industry ruin your hobby! Micro transaction like this is not okay!
  27. Oct 11, 2017
    Its a pity that in a single player game that greed has come into the equation, speaking of course about the micro transactions which ruin the end of the game. People should vote with their wallets and let publishers know we don't want this sort of thing in games we pay good money for.
  28. Oct 10, 2017
    including microtransactions in a full priced, single player game is absolutely inexcustable exploitation of us players. The game design was intentionally gimped to encourage players to buy these horrible things. There are people out there who are kids being taken advantage of by these systems. The business model this game pushes patronizes me as a gamer and insults my intelligence. I getincluding microtransactions in a full priced, single player game is absolutely inexcustable exploitation of us players. The game design was intentionally gimped to encourage players to buy these horrible things. There are people out there who are kids being taken advantage of by these systems. The business model this game pushes patronizes me as a gamer and insults my intelligence. I get that you publishers are making hundreds of million dollars on sick people who cannot control themselves, but I hope for the sake of this industry gamers read this and don't buy this game, it deserves to rot. Expand
  29. Oct 11, 2017
    Отличий от первой части минимум, нудный гринд,скучная боевка. И на десерт кейсики. Как игра за 60$ получает оценку 1, если бы была ф2п, то 5 из 10
  30. Oct 29, 2017
    Even though I had a bad feeling after reading the reviews especially about microtransactions, after playing the game for about a week or more i can tell that the game is wonderful, and there is no need to worry about the microtransactions if you are willing to play the game for enjoyment and not for finishing it as early as possible. I would like to give it a score of 9
  31. Oct 12, 2017
    All can type is don't purchase this game new if possible due to the loot boxes and weeks of grinding to see a lame final cut scene. If you want to buy ( support Titian Fall 2 which has not micro-transaction) wait to it's on a deep sale or better yet do not purchase and support WB and Monolith who used a dead man sickness to profit for DLC or giving countless gambling loot crates that willAll can type is don't purchase this game new if possible due to the loot boxes and weeks of grinding to see a lame final cut scene. If you want to buy ( support Titian Fall 2 which has not micro-transaction) wait to it's on a deep sale or better yet do not purchase and support WB and Monolith who used a dead man sickness to profit for DLC or giving countless gambling loot crates that will give you OP over others. Please do not buy this game and stop supporting gaming devs like this one who are greedy SOBs. The game is a $$$ grab do your research first. Lets teach these gaming companies to stop slicing up games and selling it as DLC and season passes. We are the gamer who make these companies rich but we get nothing in return but pointless loot boxes and dlc that was originally cut from the real game. Bottom line it's a shell game. They know which shell has the ball but they hide if from the customer. Not going to fall for this tactic again. I work to hard for my money and I demand a full game and no DLC season pass BS and grind feast. By the way I am a black man who believes in unity for all. I say lets apply the same to the gaming industry and stop fighting each other while these fools count our money. There will be a day where the gamer control what content for the next season go AAA games. Lets get these devs to give use more not less for under 59.99. We can change the industry over night if we stop supporting these games and band together. Trust me. One love peace. Expand
  32. Oct 10, 2017
    Do not support this BS! Microtransactions in a single player game? Are you f'ing kidding me? Do not let these scumbags get away with this! Microtransactions is a cancer in the Gaming Community! Microtransaction loot boxes!!! What a brilliant greedy scumbag move to pull!
  33. Oct 10, 2017
    Decent game but what's with the loot crates? I pay for game full prize so why should I pay more? Nope. Do not buy. I'm boycotting this kind of marketing. Here and in Battlefront.
  34. Oct 10, 2017
    my review for this game has been deleted 3 times now. I wonder if this one will be deleted as well? How much did Sony pay metacritic to help buffer the scores? 150 negative ratings and counting. Could the real score be much much lower? Anyway, don't buy games with micro transactions because they are a slippery slope to real money gambling and the destruction of quality games as we know it.my review for this game has been deleted 3 times now. I wonder if this one will be deleted as well? How much did Sony pay metacritic to help buffer the scores? 150 negative ratings and counting. Could the real score be much much lower? Anyway, don't buy games with micro transactions because they are a slippery slope to real money gambling and the destruction of quality games as we know it. DONT BUY THIS GAME! Expand
  35. Oct 10, 2017
    Somehow manages to disgrace both the Tolkien legacy and AAA gaming.

Shelob is now a beautiful woman. Orcs have funny personalities. Loot crates are required to finish the main story campaign,
  36. Oct 10, 2017
    From an AC-alike game to a Lineage clone. Griiiinding, griiiinding, griiiinding! And then a little bit of grinding, again! Or... it is pay-to-win! Actual game ending is hiding on the other side of "loot-boxes-wall" wich requires either or dontaing hundreds of dollars to get legendary orcs (they are NOT availible via in-game drop, maximum that you can get are epics ones) - or dozens ofFrom an AC-alike game to a Lineage clone. Griiiinding, griiiinding, griiiinding! And then a little bit of grinding, again! Or... it is pay-to-win! Actual game ending is hiding on the other side of "loot-boxes-wall" wich requires either or dontaing hundreds of dollars to get legendary orcs (they are NOT availible via in-game drop, maximum that you can get are epics ones) - or dozens of hours of mindless grinding via orc hunting or abusing the nemesis system. Which, in it's case, is really merciless to even smallest mistakes in the process of raising your perfect orc. I would say that this game poisonoed lootbox system - but lootbox system itself poisoned microtransaction system a couple of years ago. Expand
  37. Oct 10, 2017
    Do not purchase this game until it is on sale. The microtransactions are heavily intrusive and detract from the game's enjoyment. Towards the end of the game you will find yourself grinding for 30+ hours of side missions before you are able to see the final cut scene. Or, you could just spend $25 on microtransactions to avoiding ruining the game's pace. The game was designed with theDo not purchase this game until it is on sale. The microtransactions are heavily intrusive and detract from the game's enjoyment. Towards the end of the game you will find yourself grinding for 30+ hours of side missions before you are able to see the final cut scene. Or, you could just spend $25 on microtransactions to avoiding ruining the game's pace. The game was designed with the horrible business model in mind. Wait for this to be $15 before picking it up, it is 100% not worth it at the full price. If they want to put free to play game mechanics in single player story driven games, then customers should treat there game as such. Do not buy it until it is damn near FREE! Expand
  38. Oct 10, 2017
    This is the type of future MS always envisioned when they entered the gaming business, a direct connection to your living room and 24 hour revenue stream from playing a game you already payed for. The practice is extremely greedy and the profit at any cost is very short sighted. Gamers are not to be trifled with, we are too smart for that. Boycott any developer who supports this practice.
  39. Oct 10, 2017
    This game isn't really much better than the first one, and has been completely designed to try to get you to spend on micro transactions. It is exactly like you'd expect to see in a free to play title except it costs the full price of a normal game. If we keep supporting devs who continue to chop off content and sell it back to us in gambling like loot crates this crap will just get worseThis game isn't really much better than the first one, and has been completely designed to try to get you to spend on micro transactions. It is exactly like you'd expect to see in a free to play title except it costs the full price of a normal game. If we keep supporting devs who continue to chop off content and sell it back to us in gambling like loot crates this crap will just get worse in the future. Avoid this garbage. Expand
  40. Oct 10, 2017
    Disgusting, very greed, let don't buy any game which very greed. Just wait until there any crack for them. It is not worthy to buy this game just to spend more money t
  41. Oct 10, 2017
    This garbage game is a total grind by the end which is likely because of micro-transactions. Game balance is totally off - don't buy this game! I wish I had not pre-ordered this title, biggest mistake ever! Not buying any more WB games from now on.
  42. Nov 10, 2017
    This game had been designed with the idea of slipping in micro transactions. They know most people will judge it along with many critics never play games all the way through (After 5 or so hours for example) before scoring.

The last section of this game is a complete grind designed around frustration and edging you towards paying of orcs with RNG lootboxes with real money mobile phone F2Play model, ontop of paying £50. Its simply a way to ease this model in for the next game by saying (It's ok it was in Shaodw of War and this game and that so just deal with it etc) It feels very underhand to put them in at the end where they know most people would have reviewed before the end and moved on.

On balance , I can just about deal with cosmetic only (as long as I can still get some good loot playing) to support the on-going development of that game (Overwatch) as in more content.

After all, there will always be whales throwing £££ at things just to look the best. If they want to fund my game for me...?. But gameplay changing, cheats, more XP, more power, different versions, still have season passes its just layers of greed, therefore LINE CROSSED.

Thankfully it seems a lot of people are not falling for this and nonsense in Battlefront 2. Pay to Win and loot boxes crap needs to end now otherwise AAA gaming will be killed by corporate greed.
  43. Oct 14, 2017
    The game would be an enjoyable one if the ending wasnt behind a 50 hour boring grind or like $50, i quite enjoyed the first chapters, but reaching the end after pure useless grind is not worth it to me, i just returned it and i sugest not buying this until this microtransaction stuff is fixed or when the goty edition is at a really reduced price.
  44. Oct 10, 2017
    It have good gameplay, i just dont understand why they would make MT's for a singleplayer game, but after act 3-4 you can clearly see that the game is made with MT's in the back of the head, cause it gets too grindy! 0/10 from me since a singleplayer game should never have MT's
  45. Oct 11, 2017
    Absolutely brilliant gameplay! So addictive, and I’m probably shooting myself in the foot for saying this, but best game I’ve played since I could remember. They’ve made improvements to literally everything that made Shadow of Mordor shine, which I thought would be impossible. This will surely resonate in me for future nostalgia. Rating it a 0 however, because it hasAbsolutely brilliant gameplay! So addictive, and I’m probably shooting myself in the foot for saying this, but best game I’ve played since I could remember. They’ve made improvements to literally everything that made Shadow of Mordor shine, which I thought would be impossible. This will surely resonate in me for future nostalgia. Rating it a 0 however, because it has microtransactions…still not sure what they are, but apparently they make a game unplayable I’ve heard. Expand
  46. Oct 11, 2017
    Поддерживаю бойкот !!!! Первая часть очень понравилась, но микро транзакции во второй убили наповал (((
  47. Oct 11, 2017
    Los jugadores NO APOYAMOS las cajitas en todos y cada de los malditos juegos triple A que salen al mercado. Mass Effect, SOW, Destiny, Forza...Juegos DESTRUIDOS por sus políticas abusivas. Empezad a valorar en las críticas las políticas YA o esta industria que nos encanta se pudrirá hasta la médula.
  48. Oct 10, 2017
    Han malogrado una buena historia. Las empresas desarrolladoras como Monolith Productions le han agregado micro transanciones para poder avanzar en el juego. Sin embargo, se olvidan o no lo han pensado, el consumidor es el que tiene la última palabra sobre el producto que está en el mercado. Los que estudian administración o marketing saben que el consumidor o cliente está más empoderadoHan malogrado una buena historia. Las empresas desarrolladoras como Monolith Productions le han agregado micro transanciones para poder avanzar en el juego. Sin embargo, se olvidan o no lo han pensado, el consumidor es el que tiene la última palabra sobre el producto que está en el mercado. Los que estudian administración o marketing saben que el consumidor o cliente está más empoderado gracias a las redes sociales o páginas como esta. Las grandes empresas a pesar de ser multinacionales no pueden hacer lo que se les da la gana como hasta hace una década. El consumidor debe hacer valer lo que piensa. El juego cuesta 60 dólares o euros con los micropagos el usuario pagaría mucho más por un producto incompleto. Haz valer tus derechos como consumidor. Las empresas de videojuegos que hacen esto te ven como un tonto que pagará lo que sea.

In English:
    They have failed a good story. Developing companies like Monolith Productions have added micro-transactions to help them advance in the game. However, they forget or have not thought about it, the consumer is the one who has the last word about the product that is on the market. Those who study administration or marketing know that the consumer or client is more empowered thanks to social networks or pages like this. Large companies, despite being multinationals, can not do what they feel like until a decade ago. The consumer must assert what he thinks. The game costs 60 dollars or euros with the micropayments the user would pay much more for an incomplete product. Claim your rights as a consumer. The video game companies that do this look like a fool who will pay for anything.
  49. Oct 10, 2017
    Developer greed is out of control. Funn-ish game, but the degree in which they try to nickel and dime you is simply insulting. I'd rather buy a game for $100 then try to get swindled every 10 mins while playing a game purchased for $60 dollars
  50. Oct 11, 2017
    Bait & Switch.
    To get the true ending of this straightforward uninspired story you either need to grind (not fun, not a game) either need to give more real cash.
    These micro-transactions are like gangrene. Any game with them should be avoided like the plague. Maybe after a few losses, the crooks at the top will realize making a good full game is the only way they'll get our money.
    Bait & Switch.
    Maybe after a few losses, the crooks at the top will realize making a good full game is the only way they'll get our money. ("our" as in "players with a modicum of self-respect").
    If you bought the game, you have been had. Forever remember what gaming site betrayed you telling the game was good.
  51. Oct 10, 2017
    100% agree with everyone else that their exploitative methods should not be rewarded. The game is fun until the ending and then all of a sudden you have to grind and grind and grind to beat it.
  52. Oct 11, 2017
    Disgusting and awful, no one should support these kinda games. On top of that the game is too much like the first one. Would be nice if you could play as an Orch that climbing the ranks, and then create an amazing adventure regarding that. Also the PEGI-mark needs to show that the game contains gambling, it's very missleading for parents.
  53. Oct 10, 2017
    Someone gave this game a 10 and compared it to the Witcher 3, in that if you liked the Witcher, you'd like this. Only problem is, the Witcher did not have micro-transactions, it had lovable and amazing characters, a gripping story, and a card game on the side that was addicting in its own right. Shadow of War IS fun for the first little bit, but the grind, and the opportunity to skip theSomeone gave this game a 10 and compared it to the Witcher 3, in that if you liked the Witcher, you'd like this. Only problem is, the Witcher did not have micro-transactions, it had lovable and amazing characters, a gripping story, and a card game on the side that was addicting in its own right. Shadow of War IS fun for the first little bit, but the grind, and the opportunity to skip the grind by paying more money is of no interest to me. Expand
  54. Oct 10, 2017
    Horribly dumb to have extreme microtransactions in this game. Warner brothers should know better also these cheap grinding tactics just to make people pay do not support this game or company
  55. Oct 10, 2017
    Boring and repetitious game. So boring in fact that they created GOLD WAR CHESTS to speed up your progress thru this boring and repetitious game. Seriously, go play anything other than this crap.
  56. Oct 10, 2017
    SHAME! SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!
    I don’t write reviews. A lot of people do that for living and passion. I am more of a introvert.
    SHAME! SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!
    I always took refugee in games. I found acceptance and friends there. It allowed me to feel able and free, unlike in real world. Once you are in the game you are not ugly, stupid or poor, or pretty, smart and rich. We are all adventurers. We are all EQUAL. We are all what we want to be, commit our time and effort to excel in what we believe in. We had to earn everything with our bare mouse and keyboard and gamepad.
    Microtransactions is killing the heart and soul of gaming.
    Wanna be more powerful? Pay up!
    Wanna look cool? Pay up!
    Don’t worry we made your beloved game a piece of grindy mobile dumpster.
    And Publishers say it is for your own freedom of choice.
    A testament to greed and falsehood.
  57. Oct 10, 2017
    Never before have I ever made a metacritic account. However I can no longer sit idly by. I am absolutely disgusted with the game industry now. What was once a rare and uncommon practice has now infected nearly every game. I am talking about the microtransactions and loot boxes. They were bad enough in multiplayer games, but in single player games?! They are pure cancer and a blight onNever before have I ever made a metacritic account. However I can no longer sit idly by. I am absolutely disgusted with the game industry now. What was once a rare and uncommon practice has now infected nearly every game. I am talking about the microtransactions and loot boxes. They were bad enough in multiplayer games, but in single player games?! They are pure cancer and a blight on gaming. Every last major game since 2015 has been getting this and all the major AAA games this year in a row i have seen nothing but MT's and loot boxes. Shadow of War,NBA 2K18,Forza 7,Battlefront 2,Skyrim,Fallout 4, Assassins Creed Origins, Street Fighter V,MvC: Infinite, and many others. I have since sworn off the developers/publishers of these games and all their products. Never again!
    Now onto my Shadow of War review. Not only is this game full of them,not only does it have advertisments in game everytime you pause the game or are in the main menu, but the true ending is locked behind a paywall. Warner Brothers also profitted off a dead man!! That's just the greed side of things. The game itself is a joke and an insult to Tolkien's Middle Earth lore. The story is poorly written and short. About 12-15hrs in an open world RPG adventure game ffs!! It's time we true gamers purge these greedy corporate parasites from the game industry! We are going to let then know, when you come into the game industry and try to mess with us gamers, you're going to be destroyed! You do not come into our world and try to take it as your own to corrupt!! We will end you corporate pieces of garbage! You dare have the audacity to come on our turf and take it over?!! You're done!! From this point foward DEATH comes straight for you and any who support these practices and defend this will get the same in return!!
  58. Oct 11, 2017
    Just say NO. Draw a line in the sand where we just don't allow triple-A single player (mainly) games to do the highway robbery through game-changing microtransactions and loot boxes (gambling!).
    Whatever this game has to offer, I won't ever know until it's on very deep sale, if that.

Game companies MUST be shown their place AND understand that non-free full-priced games are not free-to-play ones. MAKE A STAND RIGHT HERE.
  59. Oct 10, 2017
    Gameplay wise it's fun. Combat worked for me and it felt just like the first game if not a bit better. Wasn't a big fan of the story, but I also haven't gotten to the "true" ending which is locked against a long tedious grind put in the game to make you buy the loot boxes. There's plenty of other better games out there without practices like this.
  60. Oct 10, 2017
    Shadow of War is an OK game. Its a AAA FULL PRICE game too. If you want all Content and the Season pass you will spend well over 100 bucks.

Thats a LOT of money for a videogame. Now Warner Brothers went the extra step to put Loot Boxes in this game. Loot boxes that are paid for by real money. Lootboxes that contain Exp. Boosts, Gear and Units with a high value. By doing this they

By doing this they Made the PVP Base Building completely Pay to Win and they SPOILER ALERT!!
    put the Endgame and the TRUE ENDING behind a grindwall that is artificially made into a tedium so that people would buy lootboxes for XP boosts. This Game is as SHAMELESS a MONEYGRAB as there is.

In closing. If you dont have hundreds of bucks to spend on Microtransactions DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! NOT EVEN AS A SALE! It is no fun without investing Money for Microtransactions.

Disclaimer: WB Games may purchase Reviewboxes that contain additional Scorepoints or Epic to Legendary Emotes like the Winki Smily of Victory"; )". Only 1000,-$ per Box. 1 Scorepoint guaranteed every 15 boxes.

No purchase needed. The 1 out of 10 funtcions just fine as a review. Its totally optional.

All jokes aside, no full price this riddled with Microtransactions deserves a higher Score than 1.
  61. Oct 11, 2017
    Mindless grind, unbalanced endgame, glitchy movement getting off boxes/walls, long orc monologues, combat doesn't flow, looks nice, Bruz is cool, gear stats unreliable, skills often vague, stealth needs work, predatory.

This could have been a great game, an amazing game, that's what frustrates me the most. The other extremely frustrating thing is the complete lack of honesty & integrity of most of the critics. It's pretty obvious that Shadow of War was delayed 2 months to give Monolith time to jam this game full of hours & hours of mindless grinding.

Unfortunately, I feel that at this point the only option is for government to step in & regulate these predatory gambling systems. I really don't want that to happen but that's exactly what's going on here, gambling with real money in a game that is intentionally vague & secretive about the odds. I've signed every online petition I could find, requesting government to step in a curb these practices that seem to be targeted towards children & people with addictive personalities.

Giant companies don't need white knights. Anti-consumer business practices drastically impact this game, devs did very little to mask their intent. 2 months wasn't enough time to prevent the complete ruination of what clearly used to be a great game. It's still there, gasping for air, struggling not to be suffocated by garbage.

Greed proved too alluring for Monolith/WB, this single player game is the epitome of pay to win. Not only that but the methods used to incentivize/strong arm players to fork out more money, are truly pervasive & predatory. Think any F2P mobile game, only $60-$100. They intentionally made the back end of this game painfully boring, to devistating effect.

The game is not balanced, Monolith. After 12-15 hours of gameplay, I'd received zero gold, but I had plenty of worthless mirian. This is a problem because mirian, the currency that you actually earn steadily in game for killing enemies and completing quests, is essentially worthless. Only the lowest tier crates & upgrades can be purchased with the silver mirian, everything else requires gold. Gold is doled, out at an unbearably stingy rate, an obvious attempt to get you to spend real money. Monolith and WB didn't just use the F2P playbook, they copied it.

The drop rate quality from the low tier mirian chests are so poor-mediocre, it's a joke. I pre-ordered the gold edition, so I got to check out the real lootcrates while experiencing the gold drought. As expected, the low tier crates don't even compare.

The game was good, until about halfway through when you begin to notice how grindy & repetitive it's becoming. By the final act (54 hours of storyless, mindless grinding to dominate/level up high enough level Orcs/Uruk) the game becomes painful work. The mechanics & overall feel only serve to remind you of what could have been. In an obvious attempt to separate you from your wallet, Shadow of War doesn't even attempt to hide its true intentions at this point.

It's baffling to me, did these critics play the same game I did? Are they just that compromised? The only reasons I can think that this game would receive the score it did, is that either the critics didn't play the entire game or they aren't being honest. I don't know which one is worse.

The entire 1st half, Shadow of War got my hopes up, I was thinking "Hey maybe they did it right, greed didn't screw the game up." Then the third & mostly the forth act crash through that thought like a freight train. Nope they ruined a potentially amazing game.

I won't be purchasing any other games that Monolith is even remotely connected to until they see the errors of their ways & decide to start caring about their customers. I don't see that happening any time soon but I can live with that. There are still a few great companies out there, like CD Projekt Red. I'm aware that WB published the Witcher 3 but you can clearly see that CDPR wasn't going to allow them to ruin an incredible game. Monolith was all too happy to lie straight to our faces & collect their loot.

The animation they decided to use for the Marketplace in Shadow of War is incredibly ironic, a really ugly orc grinning & incessantly rubbing his disgusting hands together in glee. That's what I picture going on at Monolith/WB every time they read a review written by a dishonest shill, every time someone uses their credit card to buy gold, etc..

Its exactly what everyone was afraid they would do, what everyone predicted would be the natural progression of these business practices years ago.

Don't buy this game, or at least don't buy it at full price. Wait until it becomes heavily discounted, if you must. The bottom line is I regret paying over $100 for pre-ordering the gold edition of Shadow of War, I won't ever be making that mistake again. I really hope it was worth it, Monolith/WB, & the dishonest critics/shills. You've broken a lot more than trust & I won't forget that.
  62. Oct 12, 2017
    I don't dislike this game because of microtransactions. I hate this game because I hate the stupid Orcs jabbering at you for 5 minutes before and after you get killed by them. I just can't stand it. Also the fighting is ridiculous dumb compared to something like Dark Souls. I just got the game yesterday and I'm bored to Tears by it and I almost threw my controller at my TV to try to getI don't dislike this game because of microtransactions. I hate this game because I hate the stupid Orcs jabbering at you for 5 minutes before and after you get killed by them. I just can't stand it. Also the fighting is ridiculous dumb compared to something like Dark Souls. I just got the game yesterday and I'm bored to Tears by it and I almost threw my controller at my TV to try to get the Orcs to shut up and that's not a good sign. Expand
  63. Oct 10, 2017
    **** story, **** characters, **** missions, absolyte noncanon lore, boring grind. Stop this AC type **** We want interesting games, not this arcade garbage.
  64. Oct 11, 2017
    People who say that microtransactions don't affect the game are lying to you. If you want to reach the ending you have to pay or do hours of tedious grind. If we keep allowing this the next is going to be worse. Wait until the game is on sale.
  65. Oct 10, 2017
    There's a lot going for this game and the first two acts are pretty good. Unfortunately, the final half of the game is an enormous, tedious grind to collect more and more Orcs and level them all up.

There are loot box micro transactions and the developers assured everyone before release that the game had been balanced/designed around NOT using them but having played the game, I can now confirm they lied. That horrendous, boring grind at the end of the game is clearly there to strong-arm people into buying those loot boxes.

There is also a multiplayer mode but it is basically unplayable unless you're sinking lots of money into those boxes because your Orcs can permanently die in that mode so without the loot boxes, you'll need to do hours of grinding in singleplayer between multiplayer matches to replenish your Orcs.

First few hours were great but I got the game yesterday & I'll probably be selling it back come the weekend because I'll be done with it by then.

Knowing what I know now, I would have given this one a miss.
  66. Oct 10, 2017
    Would have been a day 1 purchase for me until the greed of the lootbox system became apparent. Lets hope the backlash to this is enough to make our point.
  67. Oct 10, 2017
    Microtransactions + DLC season pass. We are already paying for a full game at $60.00 wtf. Gameplay is fine, overall Monolith did a good job, but these bad practices from companies have to stop.
  68. Oct 10, 2017
    Full price 60 dollar games with microtransactions which lock the ending behind a paywall are NOT okay! Don't buy this! These kind of practices have to stop!
  69. Oct 10, 2017
    Ставлю ноль за микротранзакции и объявляю бойкот этой игре. В трипл А не должно быть микроплатежей!!
    Вот мы и дожили до лут боксов в сюжетных играх.
    Ну что говноеды покупавшие overwatch, for honor, destiny 2 и прочие платные игры с микротранзакциями, докидались деньгами в монитор?
    Вот мы и дожили до лут боксов в сюжетных играх.
  70. Oct 10, 2017
    60dlls Games must have at least a final without having to spend in microtransactions. If you want to make a microtransaction-based game, then give it for free. I do not support this greedy model
  71. Oct 11, 2017
    shadow of war? more like shadow of greed, I can just about forgive and understand micro transactions in multiplayer games. But in single player?! Why do we need loot boxes in a story mode? It pointless and just trying to find more ways to earn money! What's next the DLC in loot boxes?
  72. Oct 10, 2017
    Year 2017. You can FAIL the mission because you LEFT THE AREA of the mission in an OPEN WORLD GAME. This is ridiculous. Why are you doing this??? I don't understand...
  73. Oct 10, 2017
    Shadow of war shines in all its aspects. Microtransactions do not affect the playable experience at all, much less expansions are needed because the game is very complete and offers a lot of hours of fun. The nemesis system is one of the revelations of the century
  74. Oct 10, 2017
    The Game is Awesome! Just fantastic. Criticisms of microtransactions are not understood because they do not influence the main game.In both playable and graphic, history, duration, everything is perfect. One of the best games I've played in years, I'm in love with the nemesis system
  75. Oct 10, 2017
    WTF Man, all people are absolutely stupid who whining and complaining about Microtransaction on games if they love games and enjoying games so far.. just ignore it and don't bother pay Microtransactions if they don't like pay for anything that interesting them. SMH. this game is hell fantastic game ever i playing on my PS4 Pro.. graphic look great but not better than AC Origins. gameplayWTF Man, all people are absolutely stupid who whining and complaining about Microtransaction on games if they love games and enjoying games so far.. just ignore it and don't bother pay Microtransactions if they don't like pay for anything that interesting them. SMH. this game is hell fantastic game ever i playing on my PS4 Pro.. graphic look great but not better than AC Origins. gameplay is great. Story is very interesting. i having alot fun playing this for 4 hours now. Expand
  76. Oct 10, 2017
    Hello! Played a couple of hours and I want to say that the feeling is like that of Knight Arkham. Mechanics, gameplay, design and pumping are brought to the ideal. As a bunch of cool-put videos, ktt sensibly reveal the plot, many characters, in the game you feel the scale. Graphics at the level of the first part, which is not very pleasing, but on the ultra-
    settings The war is
    settings The war is consistently showing 60 or more frames, which for such a-la slasher, very handy. If you thought about taking it or not, then boldly press the "buy" button and go to Mordor on the last trip of Taleon (I hope that this ring is enough to milk already).
  77. Nov 9, 2017
    Ignoring the apparent micro-transaction controversy, I found this game clunky and unconvincing. The stealth mode wasn't at all intuitive, and the mechanics of the take downs and combat just felt awkward. While I understand the story, there was so much to dislike about the basic mechanics of the game. I found myself constantly being pulled out of the story due to the stupidity andIgnoring the apparent micro-transaction controversy, I found this game clunky and unconvincing. The stealth mode wasn't at all intuitive, and the mechanics of the take downs and combat just felt awkward. While I understand the story, there was so much to dislike about the basic mechanics of the game. I found myself constantly being pulled out of the story due to the stupidity and unrealistic nature of the movements. I give this game a four because I can see there is potential here. It's a beautiful world they have created, and the modeling and aesthetics of the game are outstanding. Expand
  78. Nov 4, 2017
    Лутбоксы в синглплеере. Разрабы вы не охуели там ? Это каким надо быть дебилом чтоб в ААА проект добавить лутбоксы. + за деньги продавать своего умершего друга и товарища. Стыд и позор вам
  79. Jan 3, 2018
    I loved the first one, but actually avoided getting this one because of the micro transactions and how they were implemented. The difficulty spike towards the end of the game that forces you to either grind for hours or give in to their micro transactions are a big reason why I am glad I did stay away from this game...these companies will only stop doing this sort of thing once people stopI loved the first one, but actually avoided getting this one because of the micro transactions and how they were implemented. The difficulty spike towards the end of the game that forces you to either grind for hours or give in to their micro transactions are a big reason why I am glad I did stay away from this game...these companies will only stop doing this sort of thing once people stop buying their products. Expand
  80. Jan 1, 2018
    Act 1 to 3 is the game ok, though it get s repetitive quickly. Save yourself the frustration and DO NOT PLAY ACT 4!!!! It is a complete grind fest made purposely created to get you to buy loot chests. Once your done act 3 just go to youtube and watch the ending. I think after this Shadow of War B.S., and the Star Wars Battlefront fiasco that developers realize that the gamers/internetAct 1 to 3 is the game ok, though it get s repetitive quickly. Save yourself the frustration and DO NOT PLAY ACT 4!!!! It is a complete grind fest made purposely created to get you to buy loot chests. Once your done act 3 just go to youtube and watch the ending. I think after this Shadow of War B.S., and the Star Wars Battlefront fiasco that developers realize that the gamers/internet will out your shameful, nefarious plan and fill your pockets. I hope the sales are down and these game developers have lost a ton of sales. 2018 is going to be interesting now that developers are going to have to ask themselves if loot boxes/micro transactions are now worth the risk. Expand
  81. Jan 2, 2018
    I don't play online games or the online part of games, that just don't appeal to me, so there is half the game unused. But you can't get the true ending without playing online. So they are forcing me to play a fetcher of the game I don't want to in order to get the full story for the single player story
  82. Jan 4, 2018
    Yes it is a well developed game, as behind it you have many professionals that love what they do. The problem is what executives decide on behalf of the company all based in $$$

Microtransactions has to stop, maybe if we start calling it game gambling transactions it will make it more clear!
  83. Jul 26, 2018
    Ok, its a 5/10. Graphics are super flat. Textures are bad, colors bland. The combat has no weight to it. And it is super repetitive. It feels like the 360 version of Shadow of Mordor. Anyway the 0 is for the microtransactions. I bought it cause they removed all microtransactions from game. Good, but they still want to do it. Look, stop defending these. Its not about whether they physicallyOk, its a 5/10. Graphics are super flat. Textures are bad, colors bland. The combat has no weight to it. And it is super repetitive. It feels like the 360 version of Shadow of Mordor. Anyway the 0 is for the microtransactions. I bought it cause they removed all microtransactions from game. Good, but they still want to do it. Look, stop defending these. Its not about whether they physically force you to buy it, its bc the game is developed around them. Anyone that actually beat the game knows they added 15hrs of pure grinding only. A game only does that to make you buy microtransactions. So stop saying it doesnt matter, bc yes,one day it will, and itll happen to the game you once loved. Also, they made the game literally pay to win in online, so stop saying they dont matter. Its funny, they were able to just get rid of em and guess what, the game still made money. So stop saying they have to to make money. And when they took em out, they were like. Eh, guess we dont need all that grinding. Guess we can make legndary and epic orcs easier to get. And the game is much better for it. SO STOP SAYING YOU DONT HAVE TO BUY MICROTRANSACTIONS! YOU MISSED THE POINT, THE GAME IS DEVELOPED NOT AROUND FUN BUT AROUND HOW CAN WE MAKE YOU NOT ENJOY THE PROCESS TO GET TO THE FUN PART SO WE CAN CHARGE YOU TO GET TO THE FUN PART. ITS JUST GROSS. Expand
  84. Nov 10, 2017
    Контейнеры в сингплеерной игре, разработчики, вы серьезно? Ваша жадность ни к чему хорошему не приведет.
  85. Dec 30, 2017
    Jumped into the sequel without playing the first. The game is hard and unnecessarily so. I'm up for games being challenging but this get tedious to run away when health is low or some characters have special abilities called no chance.
    The second half of the game is designed to use bodyguards even when I don't want to.
    Should not include microtransactions for this game. It has a lot of
    Should not include microtransactions for this game.
    It has a lot of good things going for it. Few game design decisions seriously let it down. Do much do that I've parked completing it. Shame.
  86. Mar 19, 2018
    This game deserves nothing,ruined by greed to the core.Even the game feels like it lacks personality unlike the first game,it feels boring and empty,same with orcs,they say the same things over and over again and have the same name barely any difference betwen them,greed is ruining video games,dont be these popular games developers,they will ruin everything for more money,hope their studioThis game deserves nothing,ruined by greed to the core.Even the game feels like it lacks personality unlike the first game,it feels boring and empty,same with orcs,they say the same things over and over again and have the same name barely any difference betwen them,greed is ruining video games,dont be these popular games developers,they will ruin everything for more money,hope their studio burn in hell along with other p2w greedy azzholes. Expand
  87. Apr 21, 2018
    I make it simple for you......they happened to have an idea for the first game , they decided to make **** load of money from the second one feeding the same bull**** and since they had no no chance of coming up with a better game and the first one is a pure luck. Oh and since the greed blinded them as well, they decided to add microtransaction to a **** paid game!
  88. Jan 21, 2018
    I'll give this greedy compiled piece of code, filled with grind, 1/10 just for first 5 hours of exploring local combat system.
    Microtransactions shall not pass!
    First lootbox war has begun. Our army needs you. Your weapon is your money. Save it for developers and studios, who don't see you as a piece of wood that need to be chopped.
  89. Mar 2, 2020
    Perfect game, all these fortnite players are lagging, they r gae, and play fortnut all dae
  90. Feb 18, 2020
    Shadow of War really let the nemesis system shine and show the true potential of such mechanics. The fluid time events, how power works, special events such as a return from death or blood brother revenge, it all feels so alive. Although the controversy of micro transactions (which has now been resolved by Monolith by completely removing them) a lot of fans called this game "pay-to-win".Shadow of War really let the nemesis system shine and show the true potential of such mechanics. The fluid time events, how power works, special events such as a return from death or blood brother revenge, it all feels so alive. Although the controversy of micro transactions (which has now been resolved by Monolith by completely removing them) a lot of fans called this game "pay-to-win". This was not completely true, you could buy micro transaction, but they were not required to win, they honestly just led to an easier way to make your orcs powerful. it was not required for anything else. Anyway, its pretty petty to whine about such things in a game where it only matters in conquests and pit battles (conquest isn't even a huge benefactor either). But that is all in the past. As for the story... it was a little less involved than in the first game but it was on the right track. I appreciate the lore characters such as Shelob being major characters, and they all played some kind of role instead of just being there for show. The twist of the story was rather disappointing in the end for me but hey, others probably enjoyed it. Overall this game is a solid 8. Expand
  91. May 11, 2020
    Played this after the microtransactions were removed and I have to say it's a pretty good game. It doesn't really improve the graphics of the previos game, which were good nonetheless, or the gameplay mechanics. It might become a little repetitive at some point, but the stpry is amazing, loved every bit of it.
  92. Dec 31, 2017
    The first installment of this franchise was fantastic in my opinion. For me this sequel was a must buy because of that. I did know about some negative reviews, but had to see for myself. Sadly, this is a really bad game, pure and simple. Something has been lost in terms of both story and gameplay. It is filled with bugs (enemies getting stuck, unable to jump down a small ledge after beingThe first installment of this franchise was fantastic in my opinion. For me this sequel was a must buy because of that. I did know about some negative reviews, but had to see for myself. Sadly, this is a really bad game, pure and simple. Something has been lost in terms of both story and gameplay. It is filled with bugs (enemies getting stuck, unable to jump down a small ledge after being teleported in through a meter thick wall?? Captains regenerating to full health when defeated, presenting themselves all over again in the middle of a battle "Hello, I Gnarg, are we doing this again?") It seems a bit like they tried to copy the later, less successful installments of Assassins creed (not origins, but the boring ones). I have spent a few hours now, and only feel frustrated and unmotivated to continue playing this sad attempt of an open world game. I hope they will get their act together and build on what they have done in the past for their next game, and just forget this failure. Expand
  93. Jan 25, 2020
    I had fun playing the original, but refused to buy this, because of what I'd heard about the microtransactions. However, I played it with a free trial of Playstation Now...and loved it. Can't actually see where the MTs are. Either I'm not looking for them, or the PS NOW version doesn't have them. Its a really good, addictive game. Good Gameplay, if not a little repetitive and a good littleI had fun playing the original, but refused to buy this, because of what I'd heard about the microtransactions. However, I played it with a free trial of Playstation Now...and loved it. Can't actually see where the MTs are. Either I'm not looking for them, or the PS NOW version doesn't have them. Its a really good, addictive game. Good Gameplay, if not a little repetitive and a good little perks tree. Expand
  94. Apr 21, 2018
    The game would be perfect having a better nemesis system than the first. The orcs are different enough and surprising enough to make you laugh or catch you off guard. However the whole experience feels so utterly soulless it’s hard to really care about any of it. It feels like a game that has been carefully pieced together with every feature, bit of narrative and gameplay moment structuredThe game would be perfect having a better nemesis system than the first. The orcs are different enough and surprising enough to make you laugh or catch you off guard. However the whole experience feels so utterly soulless it’s hard to really care about any of it. It feels like a game that has been carefully pieced together with every feature, bit of narrative and gameplay moment structured out of commercial desire, rather than any love or respect for the Lord of the Rings franchise. And as far as I'm concerned, for a game that's quite explicitly a Lord of the Rings game, that's a FAIL. Expand
  95. Apr 26, 2020
    Great game. The Nemesis system is still quite remarkable and it's surprising that no other game attempted to achieve something similar. Talion and Celebrimbor are great characters, and while the story is quite nonsensical if you try to put it in line with the books, it's still incredibly enjoyable. Can't wait to see what Monolith has in store next
  96. Jan 28, 2019
    apart from the graphic quality of the game
    the game does not respect the books and even less the movies
    like his predecessor.
    Beyond that, the gameplay is poor and the game is extremely repetitive.
    I do not blame the dev's but did not develop more games like this
  97. Jan 26, 2019
    Bought this game during the "post-microtransactions" era so I didnt experience that microtransaction BS.

Starting with the positive, the climbing mechanics are good, graphics are good, setting too.The fighting mechanics are also clean (although it can be a spamfest at times). The story is kinda interesting, though may not be still at the same level as Witcher 3 but still decent. The negatives for me are, the cutscenes everytime you meet a captain. It gets really annoying. The lack of a legit save game. I mean, every game should have a basic save your game mechanics but this game has NONE. You need to fast travel to save your progress which is FREAKING STUPID. The repetitiveness also makes me stop playing at some points. Overall, I enjoyed it. It gets addictive as you play. Glad i bought this after the microtransactions BS
  98. Nov 5, 2019
    Seriously? You need to finish an enemy using a completely random button after you've fought him for a long time and if you don't press the random button in a very short time the enemy revives and runs away and you have to track him down and kill him again.. What a joke! This is one of the most annoying games I've played, great idea, terrible execution..
  99. Jun 20, 2020
    Hitboxes in combat are so off combat is impossible.If you just like a story with meaningless game-play then waste your money. If you're a serious gamer do not buy this game. I hate to leave bad reviews and I hoped it was just a glitch but the combat in this game is terrible. My 50 went up in smoke, don't let yours.
  100. Oct 14, 2017
    This game could have been great, but we should not judge based on potential. I loved the first game and i really felt that the nemisis system could become something truly unique and amazing after a bit of improving. Unfortunately, greed on an unbelievable scale ruined the experience completely. Call me whiner, but i truky believe that we need to take a stand here. This is not acceptable.This game could have been great, but we should not judge based on potential. I loved the first game and i really felt that the nemisis system could become something truly unique and amazing after a bit of improving. Unfortunately, greed on an unbelievable scale ruined the experience completely. Call me whiner, but i truky believe that we need to take a stand here. This is not acceptable. Locking the ending away behind a wall of pay-or-grind is absloutely dispicaple and taints the whole experience. I am sad that a series like this had to be the one to take the fall for the industry's growing greed but someone has to. This needs to stop. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 69 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Dec 19, 2017
    I was annoyed by various flaws (both technical and design-related) and tedious, dragged out final stages of the campaign, but overall I enjoyed the ride. It looks like the developers wanted to stuff the game with all the best elements Middle-earth has to offer. Shadow of War’s atmosphere is terrific and watching Talion rise in power is surprisingly addictive. [12/2017, p.62]
  2. Nov 26, 2017
    A handful of issues, some much more annoying than others, do not negate how solid of an action RPG Middle-earth: Shadow of War is. A tremendous achievement for the team at Monolith Productions, this is an exciting, if not sometimes slow, and too often unfair, title that manages to be as impressively fun as it is big.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Nov 20, 2017
    Big, brutal, and - alas - bloated, Shadow of War is a disappointing follow-up, conjuring battles of grand scale and then deadening their impact through grinding repetition. [December 2017, p.79]