7.6

1. Mar 29, 2020
    Lowered my score to a 4 after playing through NG+. The game just gets worse the more you play. The flaws are numerous and in your face.

I was really hopeful for Nioh 2. Nioh 1 was a solid, if messy game. The bones were there for something special, something that could rise up and give us a truly worthy souls-like that didn't come from... uh... From. Instead, Nioh 2 is pretty much more of the same, with some baffling inclusions that make it a generally frustrating experience (and not the good kind).

First off: if anyone says this is better than Sekiro, go ahead and mentally file them away as unfit for gaming in general. Nioh 2 is inferior to Sekiro in nearly every meaningful way (unless you really, really have a thing for picking up loot you'll never use). Just figured I'd add that because I see people comparing the two, and there is no comparison. Sekiro is a much better game.

So let's run down the list:

Pros:

-Graphics are fantastic.
    -There's a lot of level-up options.
    -Lots and lots of gear, I guess?
    -Story is a bit more interesting than Nioh 1.
    -The addition of random summons is... nice? Or would be, if the AI wasn't running on a playstation 1 processor
    -Some of the combat additions are good, like the burst counter and yokai shifts. They don't add a whole lot, when it comes down to it, but it is an improvement.
    -Levels, while often re-used, are much more enjoyable to look at. No more running across a dark, dingy coast for the 80th time. Now you get to explore beautiful vistas... for the 80th time.
    -Framerate is smooth, which is an accomplishment for how good the game looks.
    -The weapon/armor variation is very neat. Note, I'm not talking about how useful that is (that's a con) but how it looks visually. These guys are top notch artists.

Cons:
    -Bosses suck. No, I don't mean bosses are hard, I mean they suck. There's almost no effort to them. They all boil down to roughly the same tactic (with a few gimick fights here and there): wait, wait, wait, slash, wait, wait, counter, wait, wait, break guard and go ham, repeat. The likely reason for that comes from the next con...
    - Combat feels like it's a decade old. Maybe it's the fact that I just recently finished playing Sekiro again (I don't think it is, as I just recently played Nioh 1 as well), but everything feels like it's moving at a glacial pace, including the response of your buttons. Want to block that attack coming in? I hope you hit the button well in advance, because the game needs to think about it for a bit. Remember hitboxes that extend out too far? Nioh 2 does! It's just so sub-par after Sekiro. And look, I get it, it's not Sekiro, Team Ninja never said it was, but Nioh 2 is inferior in essentially every aspect of combat and it does not feel nearly as satisfying to play.
    -Difficulty is... fake. The game can be difficult, it's true, but that really only lasts so long as you're trying to play aggressive. As soon as you start waiting out attacks and playing defensively, the game loses all challenge. Enemies never force you (which, I mean, they probably can't, due to the combat limitations), and they start to feel more like a chore than any sort of joy to fight. There's a spike when you reach an area with higher level enemies, but it quickly levels off. Bosses are never really hard, because almost none of them require you to learn any new skills, just keep repeating the strategy you've always used and you'll win.
    - Summoning ai sounds like a good idea in theory. It's hilariously bad in practice. No, seriously, I think i've died more often because my AI companion decided to get in my way or block my camera than I have to actual enemies.
    - Speaking of: how on earth do we still have this camera? Even Sekiro had the decency to finally give us a better (albeit, still iffy) camera than past souls offerings. This camera is sooooooooo bad. I cannot believe this was anything other than intentional to artificially increase difficulty, because it's amateurish.
    - FYI, Team Ninja, quantity does not equal quality. Picking up a hundred swords doesn't mean anything if 99 of them are useless to me. It's just early Diablo 3 syndrome all over. Deconstructing items isn't fun, folks. That's not a gameplay mechanic anyone should be jumping over. The skill trees fall into this trap as well, though to a lesser extent. I'm not sure why people are praising it as amazing. It's literally the same kind of skill tree as Nioh 1, but in a different UI. It's not a leap forward, it's a leap sideways.

All in all, I don't recommend spending 60 bucks on this unless you're just dying for something to do while we're all stuck inside. I am regretting my purchase, not because it's some monumental challenge that I just can't beat (I can, did, and probably will one more time before I shelve it), but because it just doesn't live up to expectations. Sekiro happened, people. Like it or not, that's the standard now, and Nioh 2 doesn't even come close.
  2. Mar 22, 2020
    I really wanted to like this game but for all it's improvements on the first game and it's genunily really cool aspects it doesn't change what an absolute chore it is if you ever get stuck at all. Look forward to spending ages farming elixers because the kodama bazar won't let you stock your warehouse for some reason, look forward to bosses with next to no room for error because they willI really wanted to like this game but for all it's improvements on the first game and it's genunily really cool aspects it doesn't change what an absolute chore it is if you ever get stuck at all. Look forward to spending ages farming elixers because the kodama bazar won't let you stock your warehouse for some reason, look forward to bosses with next to no room for error because they will lock you into combos that will deplete your health in its entirety and most egregiously of all, look forward to losing because the game just didn't do what you told it to Expand
  3. Mar 28, 2020
    terrible game don't play.
    Combat system is **** enemies and bosses are completly broken and unfair, story is **** if you want a good game play Dark Soul instead
  4. Mar 22, 2020
    Painfully Overrated. Worst souls-like I have ever played.

Start with Dark Souls and Sekiro, take away all the fun, elegant gameplay mechanics, and responsive controls. What's you are left with is the tedious uninspired gameplay that is Nioh 2. Positives: Good Graphics +Interesting World +Sometime fun to play, in the rare instance that it is not being cheap, confusing and
    Painfully Overrated. Worst souls-like I have ever played.

Positives:
    Good Graphics
    +Interesting World
    +Sometime fun to play, in the rare instance that it is not being cheap, confusing and tedious.

Negatives:
    -Inputs occasionally don't register and will get you killed. How is this not a widely discussed issue?!?!?!?
    -Overly complicated gear and upgrade system
    -Obtuse controls
    -Tedious boss fights with huge health pools and damage that drag on way too long, wasting the players time. When I beat a boss, I feel totally unsatisfied. I feel like I was conned into wasting too much of my free time. The game appears to take pride on how much it can waste your time.

Don't buy this game. If it was free, don't download it. You won't get back the lost time. There are hundreds of better games to get over this one.
  5. Mar 13, 2020
    Ive been playing "Hard"/Challenging games since the 80s. Ive even beaten all the Ninja gaiden games by the same guys that made Nioh, all the souls game etc etc. I dont say this to brag, but to give a bit of relevance to my statement that, the Nioh games are unfair and unbalanced. Nioh 1 the third boss was the first boss that I played a tried a few times then just stopped, I could see howIve been playing "Hard"/Challenging games since the 80s. Ive even beaten all the Ninja gaiden games by the same guys that made Nioh, all the souls game etc etc. I dont say this to brag, but to give a bit of relevance to my statement that, the Nioh games are unfair and unbalanced. Nioh 1 the third boss was the first boss that I played a tried a few times then just stopped, I could see how BS it was and really couldn't muster the effort to try. A good challenging game will have you dying alot, but every time you die you learn something new and can adapt. Good bosses have a weakness to balance their strength eg, If they have a ton of health, they can be slow, or have weak points. If they are insanely fast there's useuall a trap move or AOE attack in your arsenal. Many of nioh bosses have no weakness, they have high health, high armor , do massive damage and have completely random attack patterns. Meaning the only way to beat them is to beat you head against the wall until after ages you have their movements and attacks burned into your memory, and the rest is luck, hopefully you will guess the right attack they will be about to do before you act, and hopefully your luck lasts the entire fight.
    There is many other issues I have with the Nioh game including an bland areas and stupid amount of time you have to spend in each area, to the painful grind.
    Unlike the Souls game where every death is a lesson , in Nioh every death feel like unlucky RNG. And the payoff for the time spent getting through a hard place is just more grinding. No beastly weapon, no massive bump in XP just another small area to go to.
    The game dose run at 60 fps and is great on a technical level, but everything else is the same as the first game with more irritation.
  6. Mar 16, 2020
    It's the same game as Nioh 1. No innovation at all. Same gameplay, sound, menu... Not worthy
  7. Mar 18, 2020
    Reusing many resources from Nioh, and the difficulty increased significantly compared to Nioh. Not worth buying.
  8. Mar 18, 2020
    You know what, **** this game. I wrote a positive review on it but I'm taking it back. Combat wise it's great, but I can't enjoy the ****ing combat when map design, enemy placements and clunky movement are so terrible. Traps after traps after ****ing traps, tight corridors with multiple enemies lurking, falling off ledges because your character movement in so clunky and there's no fallYou know what, **** this game. I wrote a positive review on it but I'm taking it back. Combat wise it's great, but I can't enjoy the ****ing combat when map design, enemy placements and clunky movement are so terrible. Traps after traps after ****ing traps, tight corridors with multiple enemies lurking, falling off ledges because your character movement in so clunky and there's no fall protection. Nioh 2 doesn't challenge you properly, combat isn't designed to take on multiple enemies yet the game LOVES to throw you hordes of them. Up until half way through it was fine, the second half of the game is pure BS. Expand
  9. Mar 18, 2020
    Lets just take a second here and remember Nioh 1.
    -Repetitive garbage.
    -Reskinned enemies with different colors and more damage (cheapest way to make a game). -Garbage world design and enemies placements where total trash. -The way you die not because your not that good but its just the game kills you in a such a silly way that no Soulborne game does. -With everytime you get to new
    Lets just take a second here and remember Nioh 1.
    -Repetitive garbage.
    -Garbage world design and enemies placements where total trash.
    -With everytime you get to new levels you only meet the old bosses and the old yokais but just different colores like WTF?

In short it was just pure crap. Made in such a cheap way to be a long game by throwing at you the same trash over and over again instead of actually being a quality game than just a cheap quantity sh'T.

Now to Nioh 2?
    Its exactly like the first one and even worse. It feels like a DLC like some other people have said. Same enemies and even the new ones are just a reskinned with the same movesets of the older ones in in Nioh 1 just look closely and you will see it for yourself.

How is this, that overrated I will never understand... Just like how overrated the first one was but even worse... That's why these reviewers know nothing about games.
  10. Mar 25, 2020
    This game has janky animations, the mechanics are not precise which goes against what this type of game should require. It needs some fine tuning which is normal but its basically unplayable.
  11. Mar 17, 2020
    im gonna give this game a 1. beucase the entire game is copy paste! and this game does not feel like a new game. it feels like a huge DLC for nioh 1.. except im missing endgame content!!!! i have finished the entire game on Dream of the samurai and dream of the strong the entire game is SHORT... and EASY!!!. and it suddenly stopped. there is no more difficulties left!!! in the menu itim gonna give this game a 1. beucase the entire game is copy paste! and this game does not feel like a new game. it feels like a huge DLC for nioh 1.. except im missing endgame content!!!! i have finished the entire game on Dream of the samurai and dream of the strong the entire game is SHORT... and EASY!!!. and it suddenly stopped. there is no more difficulties left!!! in the menu it says rarity 1-6 but 6 ( ethereal items) has not been added! there is soo much copy paste through the entire game that its disgusting. side missions and bosses have same mechanic. skeleton boss from nioh 1, snakes on the roof. so on and so forth!! the have implemented the same **** in this game! and when i buy i new game. i expect new stuff. thats why they could finish this game soo quick because its copy paste with different textures all over! same weapons and gear! ALOT of the same armor sets!! im super dissapointed!! when the made nioh 1. we had abyss and alot of difficulties at least. and now we have NOTHING! Expand
  12. Mar 14, 2020
    It’s almost a complete copy and paste of the original with a few new twerks. Almost everything is the same, from menus to music, couldn’t even create new looking shrines. And once again the cancerous reviewers and YouTubers make comparisons with Dark Souls, what a sad joke. Nioh 1 had a solid story, with a likeable original protagonist, set in one of the most infamous eras in history, withIt’s almost a complete copy and paste of the original with a few new twerks. Almost everything is the same, from menus to music, couldn’t even create new looking shrines. And once again the cancerous reviewers and YouTubers make comparisons with Dark Souls, what a sad joke. Nioh 1 had a solid story, with a likeable original protagonist, set in one of the most infamous eras in history, with solid npc’s. Nioh 2 has none of that. Instead, Team Ninja opted for the cheap lazy character creation trash. To keep the 1% happy. Plus they raised the difficulty level up to add a few more hours of gameplay. It’s absolute unbalanced pure trash. I played the first 2 main missions and 2 side missions and deleted it from my system, will be getting a full refund Monday. Wait for a sale of this and maybe a few patches to balance the combat. $20 is the most this will ever be worth seeming it’s Nioh 1.5. Expand
  13. Mar 13, 2020
    This game is the dark souls 2 of nioh. It follows up a great game with a subpar one. As someone with over 5 k hours in soulsbourne, i have to say that this is by far the hardest game in the genre I've played. You hit like a wet tissue while getting one shot by close to everything. It takes well over 2 full stamina bars to kill a basic bandit, not to even mention the yokai. Maybe I'm justThis game is the dark souls 2 of nioh. It follows up a great game with a subpar one. As someone with over 5 k hours in soulsbourne, i have to say that this is by far the hardest game in the genre I've played. You hit like a wet tissue while getting one shot by close to everything. It takes well over 2 full stamina bars to kill a basic bandit, not to even mention the yokai. Maybe I'm just not good at the game, despite beating nioh on way of nioh multiple times, but i can't figure out this game. The new skill tree is worse than the first one, doing nothing but make it seem fladhy while giving you less info.
    Yokai shift is just a worse version of living weapon and with it's lackluster customization (just the yokai form itself, not the yokai skills) things will be even more cookie cutter than before. Who thought it was a good idea to give every weapon in the game the same moveset? In short, the game's a mess, eorsecthan nioh 1 in ordtty much every way.
  14. Mar 16, 2020
    After having spend endless hours at Nioh 1 and all soul games, i was expecting Nioh 2 with a lot of hype. However the result for me is bittersweet. The developers did improve some things like the mindless block abuse of the revenants at the first game, is finally fixed here, revenants do more things than just block abuse. The bosses and levels from an artistic point of view, are phenomenalAfter having spend endless hours at Nioh 1 and all soul games, i was expecting Nioh 2 with a lot of hype. However the result for me is bittersweet. The developers did improve some things like the mindless block abuse of the revenants at the first game, is finally fixed here, revenants do more things than just block abuse. The bosses and levels from an artistic point of view, are phenomenal (lot of recycled content from the first game but i can swallow that for the sake of content ). However..the game's combat system is deeply flawed and i wonder why no one talks about it. The rules that apply to you , dont apply to the world, and thats the definition of unfair, for example the revenants and the bosses at the dojo always have more reach than you and attack faster no matter what kind of weapon you/they use, they will always attack faster and outzone you. Also when you try to deplete their KI, for some reason when they reach 5% KI or something (red condition) they somehow manage to still be able to move and attack and get resistant to KI depletion (some times not always), that mechanic is not explained why it happens, plus its random and it can leado to thinking that 1 more hit will stagger them, but nope.it wont, just like that randomly and you get exposed and die and its not your fault. Also, they randomly get stagger resistant, but if you do use the very same attacks that they do, you wont get the same stagger resistance. That 'random' factor is killing the combat . Another minus are the instant grabs and the instant special attacks with literally 0 reaction time. Some of them are well developed and enable you to counter them if you are fast. Some others, you cant. The only thing you can do is get KOed or hope to survive with some hp and try to heal up after. You have 0 iframes which means you cant dodge throught an attack only side ways, maybe. You cant block pretty much every heavy boss combo ,because at 2 hits you are staggered and then your dead. Plus you are 1-2 hits and you die anyway So whats the point of HP bar? Why not just use hearts like super mario, 1-2 hearts, and what is the point of block if it leads to stagger and then death? Yes that was the same system at Nioh 1, but it was more douable, you could work around it, Here its way over its head. Still...i somehow love this game , but always with that bittersweet taste and the thought of ' how great that game would truly be, with some more testing at the core mechanics of combat' Expand
  15. Mar 13, 2020
    There is nothing enjoyable about a game that kills you over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Only to die over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

You feel no power in your weapons, the enemies have infinite life bars that are not clear. Even the supposed shifting power is underwhelming how much life vs KI they have.
  16. Mar 13, 2020
    Just another in a long line of Dark Souls wannabes. The game isn't even ashamed of its blatant thievery of ideas from Dark Souls. And on top of that, it isn't even that enjoyable.
  17. Mar 14, 2020
    outdated garbage mechanics horrible game engine team ninja should get back to ninja gaiden or quit developing games that's it.
  18. Mar 13, 2020
    played the whole soulsborne series , those games are what you call actually difficult and challenging games unlike nioh 2 which is an unbalanced and unfair piece of trash.
  19. Mar 14, 2020
    This game is WAY too hard for the casual gamer. The game looks and plays really good but the punishing difficulty is just too much to overlook. For someone who is not a professional gamer and had split second reflexes the game is just untouchable. You can be killed instantly by a single enemy without any warning whatsoever. Why can there not be a casual mode for people who don't want to beThis game is WAY too hard for the casual gamer. The game looks and plays really good but the punishing difficulty is just too much to overlook. For someone who is not a professional gamer and had split second reflexes the game is just untouchable. You can be killed instantly by a single enemy without any warning whatsoever. Why can there not be a casual mode for people who don't want to be punished for playing the game? Expand
  20. Mar 17, 2020
    绝对可怕的游戏,不要买这个游戏,这是非常糟糕的­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­
  21. Mar 14, 2020
    The game is completely unapproachable for someone who isn’t skilled in these kinds of games. For a casual gamer the game is simply too hard. A small enemy hitting you once will take out 50% of your health and sometimes you are killed in a single hit from a bigger enemy. Any and all mistakes you make are punished and when you die you have to retread so much ground and every enemy responds.The game is completely unapproachable for someone who isn’t skilled in these kinds of games. For a casual gamer the game is simply too hard. A small enemy hitting you once will take out 50% of your health and sometimes you are killed in a single hit from a bigger enemy. Any and all mistakes you make are punished and when you die you have to retread so much ground and every enemy responds. The game seems like it was given cheap tactics to amp up the difficult and the result is a game that is so hard it’s not fun. Expand
  22. Mar 30, 2020
    The developers managed to increase the game's difficulty even compared to the DLC's of the first game. The recommended levels for the missions are a joke, even with 10+ level above the it bosses and basic enemies can one shot you. Many levels are reused from the first game and almost all of the side missions are just sections of main missions. The story is also worse than the first game,The developers managed to increase the game's difficulty even compared to the DLC's of the first game. The recommended levels for the missions are a joke, even with 10+ level above the it bosses and basic enemies can one shot you. Many levels are reused from the first game and almost all of the side missions are just sections of main missions. The story is also worse than the first game, other than the main 2 characters you almost never meet anyone. I regret buying the special edition because this is not an enjoyable game and based on the track record the DLC's will be even worse. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 76 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 30, 2020
    Nioh 2 takes the formula laid out by other soulslike games and manages to improve it at almost every turn. The game is both uniquely challenging and while still having the same addicting quality of other games in the genre. The addition of mechanics like the Yokai Shift manage to set Nioh 2 apart from the pack and add a layer of combat not seen in similar titles. Veterans and newcomers to the soulslike genre alike will get be able to squeeze dozens of hours out of Nioh 2.
  2. Mar 30, 2020
    With most games I have enjoyed, I have had no problem taking breaks and doing other activities, but all I ever wanted to do since picking up Nioh 2 was play Nioh 2. For a game with this much customization and depth to have all of its parts work so seamlessly together is a feat worthy of the highest praise. The only thing holding Nioh 2 back is the mediocre soundtrack and thin veneer of a story. I cannot wait to get lost in the DLC to come. Kudos to you, Team Ninja, for building intelligently on what you created in the first Nioh.
  3. Mar 27, 2020
    Nioh 2 offers best in class combat but suffers from an overwhelming number of upgrade systems and a story that is utterly incoherent.