4.7

1. Aug 9, 2016
    Its not for everyone. I can't stop thinking about going back to it. 4 hrs after release and I had to force myself to go to bed. It is like Elite in the sense you have to use your own imagination a bit while exploring and kind of narrate your own story. Has some issues but the sense of awe and enjoyment of discovery are still there for me. This is a love it or hate it game for sure.
  2. Aug 9, 2016
    A marvel. A wonderful game with a beautiful look, I didn't want to go to sleep. This title, I think, will be engaging to gamers who enjoy exploring without much hand holding. It's a bold experiment, there aren't many devs making procedurally generated titles these days and with any luck Hello Games has shown the others what can be made with this technique.
  3. Aug 9, 2016
    Everything Ive ever hoped for in a space exploration game, beautiful planets, sublime visuals, incredible diversity of plants and animals, aliens languages and the wonderful feeling of the vastness of space that I have never before gotten from a video game. Hello Games have created a wonderful experience and I'm hooked completely, they deserve their applause for not only bucking the trendEverything Ive ever hoped for in a space exploration game, beautiful planets, sublime visuals, incredible diversity of plants and animals, aliens languages and the wonderful feeling of the vastness of space that I have never before gotten from a video game. Hello Games have created a wonderful experience and I'm hooked completely, they deserve their applause for not only bucking the trend and not playing it safe but for putting so much love and care into their work, the video game industry has become stale and its partly for this reason the game has garnered so much attention, it dares to be new and innovative Expand
  4. Aug 9, 2016
    These negative are absurd to say the least. After hours of this game it is an experience that is like
    any other. It's in a class of its own. It's exactly what I knew I was getting. After remaining on the second planet it just shows the depth and detail the game has. And for everyone knocking the graphics- it only shows you haven't touched the game.
  5. Aug 9, 2016
    This is exactly what I was hoping for. Space Opera science fiction is my favorite genre for movies and novels, yet I have never found a space flight game that could really pull me in. After only 6-8 hours with this game, I am happy to say I have found one for me. This game has a ton of depth, a very interesting universe to explore and decent combat mechanics. I was surprised that theThis is exactly what I was hoping for. Space Opera science fiction is my favorite genre for movies and novels, yet I have never found a space flight game that could really pull me in. After only 6-8 hours with this game, I am happy to say I have found one for me. This game has a ton of depth, a very interesting universe to explore and decent combat mechanics. I was surprised that the masses were as interested in this game as they were when it was announced, it seemed like a pretty niche game. I can't help but feel like a lot of the negative reviews are people who the game quite simply wasn't made for.

If you are an action game junkie or someone that only ever plays AAA games, be wary, this is an independent game that got its scope blown up because of hype. It may not be your cup of tea. However, if exploring space and experiencing the scope of the universe while surviving in hostile environments and just enjoying the immersion of it all, sounds like your cup of tea, you should definitely pick it up.

The game feels complete already as a unique hybrid of MMO space game with a survival game like Minecraft or Ark. But I can imagine with the base building and other features the developer has coming and the other additions, it will become a truly engrossing experience.

I can already tell I will be putting an ungodly amount of time into this. See past the BS angry reviews by teenagers who want another COD or have unrealistic expectations of these independent developers and enjoy exploring the universe!
  6. Aug 9, 2016
    After playing this game for about 5 hours so far here are my thoughts on it. First of all you can ignore all the low reviews as **** is trying to make this the lowest rated game in history. Secondly I feel the game has delivered EXACTLY what was promised. After 3+ years of development and countless articles, interviews etc I just got what I thought I was getting. I haven't seen anyAfter playing this game for about 5 hours so far here are my thoughts on it. First of all you can ignore all the low reviews as **** is trying to make this the lowest rated game in history. Secondly I feel the game has delivered EXACTLY what was promised. After 3+ years of development and countless articles, interviews etc I just got what I thought I was getting. I haven't seen any frame rate issues or graphic problems yet. I'm loving the game. Before you buy check out Twitch or YouTube streams to see what you are getting in to. Expand
  7. Aug 9, 2016
    Exceptional Exploration Game. I just spent 4 hours walking around on the same planet. Listening to my favourite pink flood albums, whilst mining, then selling resources. Outstanding.
  8. Aug 9, 2016
    Every bit as beautiful as I hoped for. The real struggle is trying to keep focused on one task, keep having moments of "oh! would you look at that" the only thing I'm going to say is the PS4 struggles I'm lucky enough to have bought it on both platforms and it's looking like the PC is going to be king here.
  9. Aug 10, 2016
    The game is intended for a niche crowd, if you like chill space exploration games and don't mind some repeating elements, you'll like it. I suggest watching unbiased gameplay vids to solidify your opinion, these metacritic reviews are usually either trollw or fanboys, they don' paint the picture you're looking for.
  10. Aug 9, 2016
    Simply put, This title is amazing. Its what many of old-school gamers have wanted a space adventure game to be since we first started on console or PC. Put in equal parts planetary exploration and survival, you get an amazing title that has a potential for a very long shelf life. What I find interesting is many trolls (more than likely tweens/teens on summer break) are giving this titleSimply put, This title is amazing. Its what many of old-school gamers have wanted a space adventure game to be since we first started on console or PC. Put in equal parts planetary exploration and survival, you get an amazing title that has a potential for a very long shelf life. What I find interesting is many trolls (more than likely tweens/teens on summer break) are giving this title bad ratings because there's a learning curve. Expand
  11. Aug 10, 2016
    I've only got a few hours in on the game thus far, but I'm quite enjoying myself. I haven't experienced any frame rate issues that some people are complaining about. The game has been running smoothly (I do have a very fast internet connection.)

I can see why this game might not appeal to some people. I enjoy exploring and upgrading things. Perhaps this might get repetitive at some point but I'm sure that there is a lot that I haven't seen yet, and that new content will get added on a regular basis.

The media hype on this game was too much... and expectations were too lofty

UPDATE: I'm now about 6 hours into the game. I've increased my score from 8 to 9. I'm absolutely fascinated by the game and the depth. I've been to several planets now, two space stations, and have met a few different races (one of which was uber unfriendly to me.) The game is certainly geared towards exporation type players. My biggest gripe thus far has been the lack of inventory space. It is extremely limited.
  12. Aug 9, 2016
    Ok..... so just want to be clear for a second. the people who are giving this game a bad review OBVIOUSLY DO NOT know what the game actually is. THIS is a exploration game not whatever you want it to be by saying it is repetitive and boring...... then this game is not for you.... Sean Murray has said multiple times it is a exploration game not a star citizen type game as some people claimOk..... so just want to be clear for a second. the people who are giving this game a bad review OBVIOUSLY DO NOT know what the game actually is. THIS is a exploration game not whatever you want it to be by saying it is repetitive and boring...... then this game is not for you.... Sean Murray has said multiple times it is a exploration game not a star citizen type game as some people claim they expected in their review. this game is great and people who truly know what this game is will know that it is a great game and many of us can not wait for it on PC. and a ton of people are complaining about low fps (below 30 fps) it is the first day it actually has been released so chill... it will probably be fixed soon. so please don,t read all the of the bad reviews.... if you like exploring and space games you will like it. Sean Murray said it was an exploration game just remember that. thank you. Expand
  13. Aug 9, 2016
    Gorgeous game. If you're the sort of person who ever looked up at the stars at night and felt a sense of wonder about the sheer size of the universe, and dreamed of exploring it and wondering what else is out there, this game will appeal to that part of you.
  14. Aug 9, 2016
    I honestly love this game, so much time and effort has gone into making this and it really shows. Please do not be put off by the negative reviews on here, there is a lot of trolling from rival console users and members of **** Wait for the pc reviews or for actual game review websites. It truly is a marvel
  15. Aug 9, 2016
    I'm really enjoying it, the game is exactly what I expected it to be, and more. It's amazing that it was made by such a small team, huge effort. If you like exploration, and playing your own way, you'll enjoy this one.
  16. Aug 9, 2016
    Great space sim, endless variety and fun to explore. Started out as a trader and when I found I was doing the same thing over and over (what a trader does) I moved to some mild piracy (blatantly murdering NPCs for their cargo) and focued more on the exploration aspects (currently lost in a cave network.) Can't put it down, going to work with no sleep.
  17. Aug 9, 2016
    The game is amazing! Every planet is a different challenge, every place a surprise! I was born in a radioative planet that I had to run for my life, everything in that planet was mean to kill me... after I got a different spaceship I went to other planet with a landscape similar with moon, but full of lakes and no animal life, the atmosphere was different, I was following a alien sinal forThe game is amazing! Every planet is a different challenge, every place a surprise! I was born in a radioative planet that I had to run for my life, everything in that planet was mean to kill me... after I got a different spaceship I went to other planet with a landscape similar with moon, but full of lakes and no animal life, the atmosphere was different, I was following a alien sinal for help and I dont know what happened that i forgot time... looking for old buildings, I didn't realize that the heavier atmosphere was consuming my energy faster than usual... If I had not left the planet I would be stuck there forever! It was amazing experience!

Do not listen to very bad reviews ... people are lazy and never read enough to understand what this game is ! They are still crying for multiplayer and other things, but did not realize that if they are looking for more of the same thing that they have had no need to play NMS. This game is unique and will always be a different amazing adventure every day!
  18. Aug 9, 2016
    I'm only 7 hours in so far, haven't even left my first solar system since I'm experimenting with collecting all of the Gek language. That said, I have found the experience very enjoyable so far. It remiinds me more of a survival game then an exploration style game. But thats not a bad thing in my opinion. It is for sure one of those games that I feel you will either love it, or hate it.I'm only 7 hours in so far, haven't even left my first solar system since I'm experimenting with collecting all of the Gek language. That said, I have found the experience very enjoyable so far. It remiinds me more of a survival game then an exploration style game. But thats not a bad thing in my opinion. It is for sure one of those games that I feel you will either love it, or hate it. There is not alot of middle ground here. Expand
  19. Aug 9, 2016
    Solid exploration. A divise game. Not for all. Specially not for ones looking for space minecraft. Please borrow from someone if you are not aware of the gameplay.
  20. Aug 9, 2016
    This game is obviously not designed for everybody. It is a slow-moving, exploration, survival, RPG. The negative reviews you are hearing about are coming mostly from the people that were expecting "Minecraft in Space". I personally can't get enough of this game. A vast, endless universe with billions of new and exciting languages, creatures, environments, intelligent life, etc. A WHOLEThis game is obviously not designed for everybody. It is a slow-moving, exploration, survival, RPG. The negative reviews you are hearing about are coming mostly from the people that were expecting "Minecraft in Space". I personally can't get enough of this game. A vast, endless universe with billions of new and exciting languages, creatures, environments, intelligent life, etc. A WHOLE GALAXY to explore and scavenge. If you're looking for fast and exciting gameplay, look elsewhere because the gameplay is not what the game is about. It's about discovery and curiosity. I feel so immersed in the game's galaxy and am loving it. I would recommend to any wannabe space explorers because this fits the bill. Thank you Hello Games for providing another excellent video game! Expand
  21. Aug 9, 2016
    I just find a Tropical Planet made of Gold, traveled in a Black Hole and see a pyramidal-space-base.
    Ignore the critics, play yourself, No Man's Sky isn't "same planets, different colors"
  22. Aug 9, 2016
    Simply amazing. For obvious reasons this game isn´t for all audiences. This is why a dark side of the internet is trolling about the game. Go home, please, and shut up.
    The game itself is enormous, full of possibilities. A perfect soundtrack. And a very good crafting/selling/exploring/surviving/fighting/upgrading system, BECAUSE THIS IS IT, this game is all about:
    -Crafting. -Selling.
    -Crafting.
    -Selling.
    -Upgrading.
    -Exploring.
    -Surviving.
    -Fighting.

For some people these can be poor. For some people this can we awesome when mixed with the gorgeus sci-fi look of the game. Thats all.
  23. Aug 9, 2016
    Giving this game a bad rating because you expect something else is truly unfair to HG. The developer has delivered on everything they promised, and as someone who followed this game very closely for 3 years, it's exceeded my expectations thus far. This is a game more akin to Journey or Minecraft than it is to Battlefront or CoD. Don't expect INSTANT action at all times. This is a game forGiving this game a bad rating because you expect something else is truly unfair to HG. The developer has delivered on everything they promised, and as someone who followed this game very closely for 3 years, it's exceeded my expectations thus far. This is a game more akin to Journey or Minecraft than it is to Battlefront or CoD. Don't expect INSTANT action at all times. This is a game for people who appreciate nuances, and an ethereal experience that can be played for hours at a time. The game looks and feels amazing. People complaining about FOV, did you ever think that maybe it was done to simulate the feeling of wearing a mask/helmet? Either way, this game is everything they said it would be, and now that it's in my hands, I feel a sense of relief that it's everything I wanted it to be. Expand
  24. Aug 9, 2016
    So much overrated! Don't play this crap! Everything is so empty. Not much you expect that. So, don't play this game really. Empty world, and boring as f*ck give me my money!
  25. Aug 9, 2016
    Absolutely amazing, flying around in a space ship over a planet and looking at the scenery is pure bliss. Then choosing anywhere to land and explore. So much fun! I can't wait to fully upgrade my suit and get a better weapon and fully upgrade it. THEN I really want to find a really cool looking ship (the one I started with looks great too, but i've seen better) and upgrade it so I canAbsolutely amazing, flying around in a space ship over a planet and looking at the scenery is pure bliss. Then choosing anywhere to land and explore. So much fun! I can't wait to fully upgrade my suit and get a better weapon and fully upgrade it. THEN I really want to find a really cool looking ship (the one I started with looks great too, but i've seen better) and upgrade it so I can takeover solar systems and destroy some space stations. It's also fun naming planets, solar systems and creatures. I can see playing this game for YEARS! It will be so great once PSVR comes out and playing in VR! I can't wait for that day. Expand
  26. Aug 9, 2016
    Firstly , I have preordered the game ..to be released tonight in Blighty . Im a fan of Elite and I loved games like Starglider and starglider 2 on the Amiga platform many years ago. Yep , im an "old" gamer (54 to be truthful) but hey , im young at heart and to be honest this game is right up my street. I'm a bit disappointed with people "pulling it apart " on day one . This game is madeFirstly , I have preordered the game ..to be released tonight in Blighty . Im a fan of Elite and I loved games like Starglider and starglider 2 on the Amiga platform many years ago. Yep , im an "old" gamer (54 to be truthful) but hey , im young at heart and to be honest this game is right up my street. I'm a bit disappointed with people "pulling it apart " on day one . This game is made for people with patience and imagination , and creativity . I really do take peoples point about repetition but im sure they would be the first to admit that their goal was to be able to fly around destroying everything in their path. They are missing the point of the game and indeed the whole experience . We HAVE to congratulate Hello Games for a remarkable achievement of even producing a game this vast. And their commitment to future "FREE"updates should be applauded . I for one can't wait for midnight to arrive . Expand
  27. Aug 9, 2016
    Wanted a game like this since I was young. If exploring and space is your thing then you will love this game. Flying around in your spaceship with thousands and thousands of planets to visit!
  28. Aug 9, 2016
    First of all, I think that those who are expecting a traditional triple A game are going to be disapointed, as well as those who are waiting for a indie game. No Man´s Sky is very unique, and with that comes a difficulty in puting a label onto it. So far, I´ve played for 10 hours and explored a bunch of planets. There is a very clear resource gathering and crafting cycle, more proeminentFirst of all, I think that those who are expecting a traditional triple A game are going to be disapointed, as well as those who are waiting for a indie game. No Man´s Sky is very unique, and with that comes a difficulty in puting a label onto it. So far, I´ve played for 10 hours and explored a bunch of planets. There is a very clear resource gathering and crafting cycle, more proeminent than some people might like. For me, though, it works great punctuating my planet exploration with some tense survival moments; without that, I think that the game would feel to bland. Anyway, I´m having a blast so far not only with the gigantic scale of the universe, but with the actual gameplay survival, exploration, fighting mechanics... If you are open minded about games, You´ll certainly will have a great time with No Man´s Sky... On the other hando, if you expect a shooter, just go play COD... Expand
  29. Aug 9, 2016
    No man's sky creative a new perspective for the game world. Definitely, deserves to respect. There most voters not the play game yet. Also xbox fans are intense attack.
  30. Aug 9, 2016
    A beautiful, interactive universe that will be your game of the year if you purchase with the right expectations of what this game is. This is a game driven by your will to explore, discover, and build. Murray and Co. added a lot in the first update of the game, and will be adding quite a bit more in each new installment of update. Thus, there is a lot more content to come along with theA beautiful, interactive universe that will be your game of the year if you purchase with the right expectations of what this game is. This is a game driven by your will to explore, discover, and build. Murray and Co. added a lot in the first update of the game, and will be adding quite a bit more in each new installment of update. Thus, there is a lot more content to come along with the great stuff already in the game!

There is A LOT more to do in this game that other people fail to realize or let on. It is almost mind-bending at how big the universe really is, and it is a real pleasure to explore it! That even goes without mentioning the space combat, and ground combat!

If you're into a DIY exploration game that is world class, then buy it and never look back!
  31. Aug 9, 2016
    This game is VERY addictive. Launch day I played untill 3am and literally forced myself to sleep. The graphics are beautiful and the gameplay is really fun! This game is not for casual gamers. The amount of detail is staggering.. It's soundtrack is mesmerizing. When you enter a planets atmosphere it's one of the most unique feelings I've had in a LONG time. If you are a fan of sci-fi youThis game is VERY addictive. Launch day I played untill 3am and literally forced myself to sleep. The graphics are beautiful and the gameplay is really fun! This game is not for casual gamers. The amount of detail is staggering.. It's soundtrack is mesmerizing. When you enter a planets atmosphere it's one of the most unique feelings I've had in a LONG time. If you are a fan of sci-fi you should get this game!! Expand
  32. Aug 9, 2016
    Honestly, this game appeals to a very specific audience, and not many will enjoy it. But in my opinion, this game is now my favorite game I've played in years. It's exactly what they said it was going to be, and they delivered all of their promises, and even more. You can, explore, trade, fight, and survive, and seamlessly travel from planet to space to moon flawlessly without any loadingHonestly, this game appeals to a very specific audience, and not many will enjoy it. But in my opinion, this game is now my favorite game I've played in years. It's exactly what they said it was going to be, and they delivered all of their promises, and even more. You can, explore, trade, fight, and survive, and seamlessly travel from planet to space to moon flawlessly without any loading times. Just exceptional, and the creatures that are procedural generated are VERY interesting. The atmosphere and sound effects in this game is extremely well made and it makes the atmosphere & immersion of the game extremely well done. The only complaint I could say is it's frame rate on CONSOLE. (PS4) Capped at 30 is not that good, but it is still bearable. Looking forward to picking up this game on PC to enjoy 144+ fps. Well worth $60+ if you are a fan of space-fantasy exploration. I love this game! Expand
  33. Aug 9, 2016
    Does exactly what it set out to do brilliant chilled out exploration with some survival aspects.
    Why they hate from **** well sad and lonely people do sad things...

Only 1 downside is the FOV which i have no doubt will be adjusted in next patch
  34. Aug 9, 2016
    I'm liking the sense of freedom in this game a lot, and I can see myself playing the game for a long time.
    The stylized visuals and color design, and the sound/music design are top notch.
    I don't have much time to play these days, so this game can fit perfectly in my agenda. I can see myself coming back to this game for a couple hours session quite often but without rushing with a ten-hour-a-session playthrough. Yeah I've decided I'll sip through this game, savouring the journey and the atmosphere, and if in the meantime the developers will also add some extra free stuff to do, as they have stated, I don't see myself reaching the bottom of this calice of adventures anytime soon.
  35. Aug 9, 2016
    I think too many people were expecting Mass Effect on steroids. I love it for what it is -- an explorative sandbox where you can play however the hell you want and escape reality for awhile. It might not be worth $60 bucks, but I have no problem supporting a team of 13 people who poured their life into this game.
  36. Aug 9, 2016
    Great game, not for everyone though. And by everyone I mean casual gamers in general. This is not the kind of game where you press X to look at a helicopter explode. It's everything the devs have promised, I don't know what hyped article these negative users have read. I give it a 10/10 to counter those nonsense reviews that thought they were getting a minecraft, CoD, and zombies in spaceGreat game, not for everyone though. And by everyone I mean casual gamers in general. This is not the kind of game where you press X to look at a helicopter explode. It's everything the devs have promised, I don't know what hyped article these negative users have read. I give it a 10/10 to counter those nonsense reviews that thought they were getting a minecraft, CoD, and zombies in space kind of game. It's a solid 8/10 to be honest. Not a 10 because some technical things like the drawing distance is not amazing when travelling in space dodging poping asteroids; and textures could be more polished, but I guess they can fix that and after all we are talking about an indie game here. Congratulations to Hello Games ! And many thanks for making the game that many people have been waiting their whole lives ! Expand
  37. Aug 9, 2016
    the game delivered on what it said it would a survival exploration game not a sandbox game star citizen will be better im sure cant wait for it but i love no mans sky 's premise of exploration i just kinda wish the wildlife looked a little more natural in animations
  38. Aug 9, 2016
    Music, atmosphere, sense of accomplishment from exploring... this game is just such a masterpiece. It truly lives up to the hype. Talk about leaving reality and living in another universe. There are so many details, so many awesome things to discover... words can't do it justice. Play it.
  39. Aug 9, 2016
    What a very unique game. Not been attempted on such a scale and is definitely one of the outstanding New Games of this generation, the level of exploration and survival is so high. Trading and the global economy works wonderfully and. Ship controls can be upped a bit but nevertheless, the space travelling and space fights are very interesting, not to mention fun to experience. The level ofWhat a very unique game. Not been attempted on such a scale and is definitely one of the outstanding New Games of this generation, the level of exploration and survival is so high. Trading and the global economy works wonderfully and. Ship controls can be upped a bit but nevertheless, the space travelling and space fights are very interesting, not to mention fun to experience. The level of survival can be very extreme at time and that is good considering how exploration should be in real life. You do not expect to have a very sunny and rosy journey on your way to the centre of the galaxy do you? let alone, the universe. Hello Games have tried to make the experience of exploration as realistic as possible and have done a marvelous and almost perfect representation of this. Expand
  40. Aug 9, 2016
    This game is a love-hate game, it doesn't hold your hand, it doesn't really have a goal, but it is a great exploration game which is exactly what it is listed as. For me the game is perfect, needing some bugs fixed but as of launch it is very solid and an enjoyable exploration game.
  41. Aug 9, 2016
    Technical marvel. The seamless transition between planet to planet is incredible. Ignore the the average score caused primarily by 4 chan as per usual.
  42. Aug 9, 2016
    The game is beautiful and very fun to play. It's not a competitive, action, fast paced game with some narrow missions... don't expect that.
    No Man's Sky is what Sean Murray told us, an exploration game, with million planets and lifeforms to explore, and some well hidden secrets. Put your fantasy for a while inside the game and make your own space story!
    And if you want some action, get a
    And if you want some action, get a fighter ship and go destroy some freighters (then deal with the sentinels).
    Does it worth 60 dollars? Maybe not, maybe yes... it's all about taste. I have bought AAA games for 60 dollars and I play them about 5 - 10 hours only, and games that costs 10 - 20 dollars and I play them for months.
  43. Aug 9, 2016
    We live in a world so cringe. I mean, come on. 13 people created a whole universe to explore. By far the largest game "universe" ever. This is fantastic. It's the best thing that could happen in gaming in 2016.
  44. Aug 9, 2016
    This game is beautiful and creative and a huge acheivment for the developers, if you want something new and different i recommend this game. It has a very advanced RPG element with shooter and exploration gameplay too, also, theres very little bugs after the patch. The merchant system is really nice and theres a huge array of equipment and upgrades too. Graphics and textures are notThis game is beautiful and creative and a huge acheivment for the developers, if you want something new and different i recommend this game. It has a very advanced RPG element with shooter and exploration gameplay too, also, theres very little bugs after the patch. The merchant system is really nice and theres a huge array of equipment and upgrades too. Graphics and textures are not realistic but they are not designed to be and are still very nice the worlds created in this game are rich and diverse. The performance after the patch is great not many noticable drops in fps and poppins are virtually gone. Expand
  45. Aug 9, 2016
    Beautiful game. Just everything you want from a space exploration game, huge planets, space combat, hostile life, alien races, asteroids, space stations, minerals. I just love this game, it's very beautiful!
  46. Aug 10, 2016
    People expect too much from this game. Developers themselves have warned that if you do not like games like this, it is likely that you will not like. I got what I expected. The game turned out to beautiful views and diverse wildlife.
  47. Aug 9, 2016
    no mans sky - units recieved

this game is awesome, it is definately not for everybody but it is not a bad game. everybody who sais its bad doesnt like the genre of the game in the first place. its like rating halo 3 a 0/10 because you dont like shooters.
  48. Aug 9, 2016
    Great game. Love it. Exploration is key here. It's not for everyone though. You will loose yourself in wonder and frustration but that's definitely worth it in the long run.
  49. Aug 9, 2016
    This is the space sim I've waited my entire life for. Everything about it is perfect. I'm saddened to see all these trolls giving the game an unfair review.
  50. Aug 9, 2016
    No Man's Sky is a game where you get to explore and go wherever your mind pleases. The people that give this game bad reviews most likely live a very dull life and doesn't really have any imagination.

Easy 10/10 for me.

P.S Most likely the same sad guy/girl that has written most of the bad reviews.
  51. Aug 9, 2016
    People are hating because they don't know what the initial goal of this game was. It's a game which allows you to explore, discover, and craft your way troughs an infinite world. Sure this is no COD but the game is great and is perfect for what it was designed. Don't blame Hello for doing exactly what they wer telling us.
  52. Aug 9, 2016
    This game is very polarizing at the moment. The reviews clearly indicate this. Me personally, I appreciate what this game has to offer beyond belief. Me loving the Cosmos series and admiring individuals like Carl Sagan and Neil Tyson, I immediately fell for what I was playing even if this game is of course not as multiplex as our actual universe.

I believe this game is for the

I believe this game is for the imaginative...the inventive..the unorthodox...those who consistently are curious about the universe and what lies beyond and are not just going about their life without some fanciful thought or thoughts about their purpose as an organism in a universe we may only know less than 1% about. It is that deep in my opinion as individuals put their life and soul into this project.

If your unsure of this game or see it as boring... Just imagine how much can be added along the way. The possibilities are endless and this game is unique in that way. I cannot recall a game that rattled the cage so much so to speak on both ends. One cannot argue that the concept is brilliant even if the execution fell short in your opinion. So, just imagine the continuous improvements that will be just as or even more superior in brilliance.

So far....im having a ball.
  53. Aug 9, 2016
    You just feel like Captain Kirk with your starship, "explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilisations; to boldly go where no man has gone before." I freaking love this game !
  54. Aug 9, 2016
    From what ive played (roughly 4 hours) ive gotta say the game is massive (ive only scratched the surface of my starting planet (i actually started on its moon) ,the crafting system is nifty and the mining aspect is unique, the ship controls need getting used to but ive gotta say when you do get used to them its whole lot of fun (especially the impulse drive) , so far i find this game veryFrom what ive played (roughly 4 hours) ive gotta say the game is massive (ive only scratched the surface of my starting planet (i actually started on its moon) ,the crafting system is nifty and the mining aspect is unique, the ship controls need getting used to but ive gotta say when you do get used to them its whole lot of fun (especially the impulse drive) , so far i find this game very enjoyable !!! I highly recommend people to buy this (if your not sure rent it before you buy) !!!! Expand
  55. Aug 9, 2016
    So, it has been nearly 3 years since I first heard about No Man's Sky. It was basically what I wanted as an experience more than a game for many many years. Unrestricted exploration of not only an open map, open world, open planet, but all of space and the planets within. It is very much so, a survival game. Collect the resources to repair, power and maintain your suit, ship and weapon.So, it has been nearly 3 years since I first heard about No Man's Sky. It was basically what I wanted as an experience more than a game for many many years. Unrestricted exploration of not only an open map, open world, open planet, but all of space and the planets within. It is very much so, a survival game. Collect the resources to repair, power and maintain your suit, ship and weapon. Along the way you encounter different alien races, factions, terrain, flora and fauna.
    I know many people who were expecting this to be some sort of massive online multiplayer role playing experience. That it is not. While there is the possibility of encountering other players, it is certainly not a core mechanic of the game. 2 people finding each other on a planet sized planet is basically a zero possibility. Though, thats not to say at some point it wont happen. The game focuses on the individual journey and survival aspects of gameplay. There is combat in the form of alien lifeforms becoming hostile or robotic sentinels that protect the planet attacking you. Though, again, it is not the main focus of the game. This is no call of duty or battlefield.
    In all, I have played for several hours thus far, and appreciated the challenges and rewarded discoveries in my journey and look forward to many many more hours of exploration.
  56. Aug 9, 2016
    it's sad do see that many can't use a game like this as an inspiration and just complain about it, maybe the only thing the game showed them is that their heads are empty.. boring? only for the braindead..
  57. Aug 9, 2016
    Amazing! Lots of first time 1 star reviewers. Very good game I do not know why there is so much negative ratings but I think that these people do not even have this game , I hope that the game will be developed further.
  58. Aug 9, 2016
    Great game so far! No complaints it's exactly as I expected. Spoilers didn't do the game justice it's much better once you play it. Can't wait for features to come like base building.
  59. Aug 9, 2016
    The game is fantastic. Anyone who says its boring suffers from a short attention span. Honestly the game was so hyped that of course there will be a little disappointment but people rating negatively played for a few hours at best. You can't make an educated review on 2 hours of playtime. I passed on sleep and played NMS for about 8 hours early this morning, and its exactly what I thoughtThe game is fantastic. Anyone who says its boring suffers from a short attention span. Honestly the game was so hyped that of course there will be a little disappointment but people rating negatively played for a few hours at best. You can't make an educated review on 2 hours of playtime. I passed on sleep and played NMS for about 8 hours early this morning, and its exactly what I thought it would be. So basically disregard negative user reviews for the time being, as theyre either trolls or children having a tantrum. If you want the game, get it. Expand
  60. Aug 12, 2016
    Easily the Game of the Year

I have personally cancelled this game twice prior, and had only ordered the game last Friday. I received the PS4 copy, and purchased a PC copy as well after having played the game. What a treat! This is a beautiful game that expands the horizon of whatever current technology can offer, or had been able to offer anyway. As you delve into the game, you begin
    Easily the Game of the Year

What a treat! This is a beautiful game that expands the horizon of whatever current technology can offer, or had been able to offer anyway. As you delve into the game, you begin to realize just how massive this game is. To be able to simply fly off in space and go to any star, is simply out of the world. The diversity in plants, animals, weather, technology, etc, I can't believe only a few people worked on this game. What a feat.

The colors in this game are amazingly well done. Hard to believe that they are randomly generated. The music and sound is even better. I imagine they are triggered by the type of environment you encounter, and the sound of grass rustling, sea breeze, and everything else is simply amazing.

Most importantly, the amazing experience this game delivers can't be put into words. Thank you Sean and the team for delivering us the game of this generation. We hope to see more of you.
  61. Aug 9, 2016
    It's absolutely incredible , I've player round about 30 hours and just visited 3 planets. It 's so much fun to explore everything and to discover the little secrets. Progress is a minor matter, just enjoyed the game. The Space Space battles are much better than I thought. Thank u very much
  62. Feb 21, 2020
    I had to correct my rating from 2 to 8. The developers have really put themselves into it and made a good game out of this catastrophe from the beginning.
    Many futures that were missing at launch are now in the game and the needs of the players have been addressed. The game is now really a space exploration game with Survieval elements. Good jop hello Games.
  63. Jun 25, 2020
    No Man's Sky is one of those games you'll love or hate, I've given a generous score here because it seemed like when I started playing at 6 pm, 5 minutes later looking at the clock, it was 10 pm. Really one of those games where is not necessarily grinding as every planet and character is randomly generated, but you lose yourself and really become a collector of language, guns, ships andNo Man's Sky is one of those games you'll love or hate, I've given a generous score here because it seemed like when I started playing at 6 pm, 5 minutes later looking at the clock, it was 10 pm. Really one of those games where is not necessarily grinding as every planet and character is randomly generated, but you lose yourself and really become a collector of language, guns, ships and resources. The drawbacks of this game when I played was it felt lonely and some times the graphics would appear shaky. Other than that it's a game they are continuously improving and I will not be trading in or selling my copy as it just might continue that way! Expand
  64. Jan 30, 2017
    Este juego o lo odias o lo amas, así de sencillo, a mi me encanta, desde pequeño la exploración espacial y la búsqueda de recursos siempre me pareció un gusto, mas el plus de combates tanto espaciales como en terreno, la prácticamente experiencia infinita de cada mapa, la vida de los planetas me parece increíble y mas de un estudio relativamente Indie. Que si cometieron el error y laEste juego o lo odias o lo amas, así de sencillo, a mi me encanta, desde pequeño la exploración espacial y la búsqueda de recursos siempre me pareció un gusto, mas el plus de combates tanto espaciales como en terreno, la prácticamente experiencia infinita de cada mapa, la vida de los planetas me parece increíble y mas de un estudio relativamente Indie. Que si cometieron el error y la mentira de decir que todas las partidas están conectadas, que no hay multijugador, que tal y que cual eso si fue estúpido pero quitando eso y un par de bug eventuales creo que esta es una joya en bruto. para los que de verdad aprecian este tipo de experiencias, muy recomendado Expand
  65. Aug 20, 2018
    The game really is a different experience than most games give. You usually have the base content of beginning, middle, and an end. For No Man's Sky, there really isn't anything like that in here. Each player will experience the game in a unique way. There really is no end to what could happen to your character in this game. One player will spend half the game flying around space, anotherThe game really is a different experience than most games give. You usually have the base content of beginning, middle, and an end. For No Man's Sky, there really isn't anything like that in here. Each player will experience the game in a unique way. There really is no end to what could happen to your character in this game. One player will spend half the game flying around space, another constantly discovering some new planet or creature. Speaking of planets, did I mention there's over 18 quintillion? That's 21 zeroes! The new update finally added what the game had been missing: co-op. You can now play with friends! I still give it a 9 because it still seems to be missing something. I just don't know what yet. Expand
  66. Jun 20, 2020
    I have played this game from the beginning, and wow has it changed. The additional vr support is extremely emersive, and makes for a great time. Thanks for keeping up with the title Sean Murray.
  67. Feb 11, 2020
    I love this game, it's the best on the planet. Had a rough start but the dev's REALLY do care and they are constantly improving the game.
  68. Apr 27, 2020
    It's very fun, the story is cool and the gameplay is good. But when I'm in a shuttle, the camera sometimes glitches down
  69. Jun 20, 2020
    After many updates and patches finally is a really good game. There is still a lack of diversity on the planets, too many times animals are the same and the plants also. We need more variety and types of planets.
  70. Aug 28, 2016
    No Man's Sky is a game that is not for everyone. I'll say this right off the bat. If you are expecting a CoD style pew pew space shooter, this is nit the game for you. This is an exploration game in the strictest terms. You have a lot of planets to explore, each one of them random. I have spent 80+ hrs in game on PS4. And so far it has been enjoyable. This game isn't a game withNo Man's Sky is a game that is not for everyone. I'll say this right off the bat. If you are expecting a CoD style pew pew space shooter, this is nit the game for you. This is an exploration game in the strictest terms. You have a lot of planets to explore, each one of them random. I have spent 80+ hrs in game on PS4. And so far it has been enjoyable. This game isn't a game with objectives. You can race to the center of the galaxy, or you can ccheck out different planets. The game is what you make it to be. I'm a space pirate. and have decimated so many flyers and pillaging their loot . This is a game I can chill out while playing. Expand
  71. Aug 28, 2016
    This game offers a great space exploration experience with stunning visualize and what often times is a truly unique gaming experience in that there is so much content there's a chance you may be the only person alive to see an entire planet. The game mechanics are easy to figure out but the tech allows you to really customize your game play experience, and then completely change it on aThis game offers a great space exploration experience with stunning visualize and what often times is a truly unique gaming experience in that there is so much content there's a chance you may be the only person alive to see an entire planet. The game mechanics are easy to figure out but the tech allows you to really customize your game play experience, and then completely change it on a whim. You could be a super-powered space marine fighting aliens on the planet or you could be a space pirate raiding freighters. Then the next day you could spend an hour exploring the underwater beauty of a planet-sized ocean. This is a game for people who don't want rails or safety bars. This is a game for people who want to explore and discover. The only reason I'm not giving it a 10 is that I think there is still some polish yet to come in future patches that will further improve the game experience. Expand
  72. Aug 28, 2016
    No Man's Sky, in my opinion, is an amazing experience. The thing about No Man's Sky is at the end of the day it is a niche game, & not everybody is going to like it. Just like games like Elite Dangerous & Star Citizen, you have people who either love it or hate it. I am a huge space sim fan. Space sims are my absolute favorite genre of game.

That's who this game is for. The small group

That's who this game is for. The small group of players who love sci-fi space games. This game was unbelievably hyped up since it was announced. With all of that marketing & hype, it
    made its way into the view of mainstream gamers. So many gamers that don't normally play games like this, space/exploration games without much of a narrative, would not normally give a game like this a chance, or even hear much about it since it's such a small niche. This game was unfortunately destined to be a target of hate from mainstream gamers who don't normally play these types of games & people who let the hype get to them & set wild expectations on this video game. When NMS came out,
    these people were disappointed. They’re not use to games without an objective, quest system, a narrative telling them where to go & what to do. That's the thing about
    gamers like myself that love the slow pace & relaxing gameplay of games such as Elite & NMS that have no narrative or "purpose". Often before release the question
    "What do you do in NMS?" was asked over & over by traditional gamers that just couldn't grasp or understand the gameplay mechanic behind NMS. Some gamers just can't fathom
    why a game wouldn't have a narrative or end goal. But to me, these types of games are the best.

NMS is certainly not perfect. But it is an amazing experience, & the core gameplay & mechanics are really fun but not without flaw. Exploration is fun. I love flying to so many different planets, exploring the
    wild & often beautiful results of the procedural generation. One thing that can be said & praised about NMS is the variety in planets, flora & fauna. The procedural generation of these elements
    is awesome. I have put in well over 70 hours in NMS, & I have to say I am extremely surprised in the fact that I am still seeing new planet types that I have yet to see, & different
    landscapes within these planets. Every time I go to a new planet I see a new animal I haven't seen yet. Sure, I see a decent amount of the same animals, like your common small "deer-like" &
    reptilian animals. But for every animal I have seen there’s just as much as ones I haven't seen. I'm not talking about animals with the same base model but with different procedural parts, for example
    a common deer base model archetype animal with different colors or stripes on one & on the next planet the same base model deer but with spikes on its back this time. This is common & does happen,
    but I'm always running into completely new types of animals with base models I haven't seen yet. And there truly are some funky animals out there. Some planets are barren & ugly. Sometimes it can take a while until you find a system that has lush, tropical like biomes with perfect weather. But when you do, they are absolutely gorgeous & is part of the fun in this game. Even the barren planets can be beautiful & have new landscapes that are unique that I have previously never discovered.

The flying mechanic is admittedly mediocre. It's very arcadey & basic, & lacks depth. It's still fun, & I enjoy it & expected it to be arcadey. However, there are some mechanics of flying
    that are the result of poor design choices. For example, the "auto-pilot" feature when you're on a planet near the surface. You cannot go low on a planet surface. There is an invisible barrier about
    30-50 meters above ground that your ship cannot get under. It prevents you from getting too close to the ground & crashing. I understand it could be due to the procedural engines pop-in,
    but in my opinion that was a terrible choice. There could have been ways to prevent pop-in from that low. There could be at least a mechanic where you cannot get low until the LOD of the terrain
    is fully rendered. Once it's rendered low flight would be possible. I'm not sure, I'm not a game developer, but surely that's a fair example of how it could have been implemented to allow
    low flight. I think that was a huge mistake. I want to be able to fly low through canyons, under arches, between buildings, hover low above ground to see where I can l&, etc. That was a huge disappointment.
    Another mechanic of flying that is disappointing is the fact you cannot hover, reverse thrust or come to a complete stop on planet surfaces. Most likely due to the "auto-pilot/no low flight" mechanic.

The core gameplay is pretty good. Yes, it can get repetitive. Yes, resource gathering & inventory management can become a nuisance. But at the end of the day, this is an exploration & survival
    game, where mechanics like this are a big part of.
  73. Aug 9, 2018
    Bought No Man's Sky yesterday and it is the open world (galaxy) exploration, crafting, trading, survival, multi-player game I was looking for. Leaving the atmosphere and flying to another planet is amazing. It's magical. I know folks were upset about this game 2 years ago. I never played that version so I don't care. The game is great and I recommend it.

Update: In less than a week,

Update: In less than a week, I've sunk 20 hours into No Man's Sky with no end in sight. This game is the culmination of all things and the future of video games. It's not like Destiny where each planet has maybe 1 square mile of playable space. The planets are massive, filled with creatures, and full of wonder. I hope Hello Games can sell millions more copies to fund more development.

Update 2: It's been a little over two weeks since release and I'm an incredible 80 hours into No Man's Sky. I just can't stop. If a game like Elder Scrolls is a sickness, this game is an epidemic. There's this entire procedurally generated galaxy between me and the center. Some day it will get old, as all thing do. Maybe after I buy a top class start destroyer.
  74. Aug 16, 2016
    Standing on a small alien moon, orange grass swishing about your feet, you gaze up at a giant purple planet rising over a green horizon. A pink dinosaur-donkey-marmot grazes by your spaceship a few yards away. A yellow cougar-turtle-mantis dashes into a grove of giant blue mushrooms. In the distance, bright neon stalactites and giant crystals peak out of a cave entrance in the wall of aStanding on a small alien moon, orange grass swishing about your feet, you gaze up at a giant purple planet rising over a green horizon. A pink dinosaur-donkey-marmot grazes by your spaceship a few yards away. A yellow cougar-turtle-mantis dashes into a grove of giant blue mushrooms. In the distance, bright neon stalactites and giant crystals peak out of a cave entrance in the wall of a massive crater. The shadow of a pterodactyl-vulture-snake flying overhead crosses the meadow, and you decide to blast off into space to see what other places you might discover.

No Man's Sky is all about these kind of moments, of creating your own purpose and story, in the context of wherever you happen to be in the galaxy.

Some will only see a game that could have been other things, or a game that is missing things. Some will only see the twitchy draw distance, wonky UI, and the mechanics behind the procedural generation. They will hate this game, some passionately. They will bombard review sites with multiple bad reviews, trying desperately to bury a game that wasn't made for them, they don't understand and can't enjoy.

Others will understand. It's not a game about thrills and cliffhangers, scripted events, and handholding like Uncharted or Mass Effect. It's not about chatting with your buddies over the headset, moving up the leaderboards, or buying the coolest looking armor to show off to your teammates, like Call of Duty or Destiny.

This game is about going off, completely and utterly alone, and finding your own way in the unknown. It's about struggling, journeying, and observing.

It's flawed, buggy, and wonky (at launch, with the promise of lots of updates from the developers). It's also beautiful, breathtaking, and addictive. To some, anyway. To others, it's an ugly, pointless, overhyped, boring mess. You will probably either fall into one camp or the other. Lucky if you can enjoy it, pity if you can't.
  75. Aug 14, 2016
    Entrancing for the first few hours. Once the novelty of travelling to different planets wears off as they all become the same, the game loses its appeal all at once. Collecting resources is as much fun as vacuuming, and the game gives you a universe-sized carpet.
  76. Aug 27, 2016
    I'm a hundred hours into the game and it keeps getting better. The user score is a travesty. It's only butt hurt players that are shoveling coal into the hate train to keep it going full-bore. The game is by no means perfect, however it's fun and the base for the game is solid. Depending on where Hello Games takes it from here, it could become amazing. If you've ever dreamed of exploringI'm a hundred hours into the game and it keeps getting better. The user score is a travesty. It's only butt hurt players that are shoveling coal into the hate train to keep it going full-bore. The game is by no means perfect, however it's fun and the base for the game is solid. Depending on where Hello Games takes it from here, it could become amazing. If you've ever dreamed of exploring our universe via spaceship, this game fullfils that. Expand
  77. Aug 28, 2016
    Just a really lovely little game: not much to do but wander and wonder. I'm not sure that many people want this sort of experience from a video game, but for those of us that do, we will be playing for a long time to come.
  78. Aug 16, 2016
    Game is good. Game might not be good for everyone, but I enjoy it, so it's good for me. I have what some people might call a "substance abuse problem" and what some other people might call a "crippling alcohol addiction." And that might not seem relevant, but hear me out.

So I'll start playing FO4 or something, sober, but with my 1.75 liter bottle of rum by my side. Next thing you know I wake up the next morning, log in to FO4, and discover that I've killed 200 of my settlement dwellers and my character is in his underwear in Far Harbor wielding a pool cue. That type of stuff sets you back quite a bit in FO4.

And this is why NMS is so great. So far the worst that has happened, in the same situation, is that I trashed my entire inventory and named 32 different planets stuff that is mostly related to the male genitalia. And the former is no big deal, because it's pretty easy to replenish your inventory, and the latter is pretty awesome, right?

So, to recap: game is good.
  79. Aug 16, 2016
    I love this game, it's a game where you have to have a certain mindset to enjoy, it's not for everyone, in fact, if we put this objectively, it's pretty shallow and not that good. But either way, I liked it because it just gives me those childhood imaginations where I would be the frontier of space exploration, discover new solar systems, discover new galaxies! Get to the center of theI love this game, it's a game where you have to have a certain mindset to enjoy, it's not for everyone, in fact, if we put this objectively, it's pretty shallow and not that good. But either way, I liked it because it just gives me those childhood imaginations where I would be the frontier of space exploration, discover new solar systems, discover new galaxies! Get to the center of the universe! Etc. etc.
    This is basically just fulfilling a childhood dream, most people probably forgot theirs or didn't want to go to space, which probably is why most people don't like it, but for space enthusiasts like me, I love it.

Also for the fact I promised to marry the daughter of a warrior race's general without even understanding much of their language, come to speak of it, I like the mechanics where you have to build the knowledge of another species' language.

I like this game, but take my word with a grain of salt, this is a love-it-or-hate-it game.
  80. Aug 15, 2016
    This is not a perfect game, in fact there is not much game to it. I do disagree with anyone that states this game deserves a rating below 5. It's hard for me to state that this game didn't set out and deliver on what it promised. It was hurt more by the build up of expectations then on what it delivered. Misunderstandings of the mechanics and player interactions.

What this game is,

What this game is, is an archaeology survival space fantasy. If you go in with the mind of discovering and chronicling what you have seen. If you take your time to learn the lore of the alien races before pushing to the next star system, the game is much more enjoyable. Due to randomization your experience is going to vary. I have seen reviews of people finding nothing but desolate rocks, and other who have found nothing but abundant resources. This greatly changes the experience for an individual.

My personal experience has been a mix of everything, lush jungle planets devoid of species, rocks crawling with life and little resources. My first planet had sentinels on high alert, so I had to constantly run and hide for every resource I found, In fact, outside of an encounter with space pirates and attempting to protect a cargo fleet, that has been my only death. I have put in at least 25 hours since picking up the game on Tuesday, and am only on my fifth star system. Because, this is a game about exploring. It feels almost like a metaphor for life. We have a goal, we have an end, but what we make of it, what we experience along the way and how we enjoy it, matters more.

Bottom line, this is a game that relies heavily on what the gamer puts into it. It hits perfectly on the target that Sean Murray aimed. A choose your own adventure, science fiction, exploration, with a story that you have to go looking for. It was never meant to appeal to everyone. It was created to test boundaries and genres and I feel that even in this imperfect state it has done that.
  81. Aug 15, 2016
    So i had to create an account just to go to bat for this game. Anyone complaining that the game is trash is just not really understanding what type of game this is. Likely they were swept away with their own expectations. For me personally the game is on a 9 or 8.5 level due to some of the technical issue. I think that the 7.0 metacritic score is deserved. The 4.9 user rating is not.
  82. Aug 16, 2016
    This is hands down the best game I have ever played, a refreshing change from linear stories, predictably similar FPS's, and all the other crap fed to gamer's today. NMS's developers are trying to push the boundaries of what games can do and taking brave risks in attempt to bring us something that's truly different. There are some occasional bugs, but they are completely forgivable and IThis is hands down the best game I have ever played, a refreshing change from linear stories, predictably similar FPS's, and all the other crap fed to gamer's today. NMS's developers are trying to push the boundaries of what games can do and taking brave risks in attempt to bring us something that's truly different. There are some occasional bugs, but they are completely forgivable and I have faith Hello Games will patch everything to make the experience more robust and less buggy. Who should not play this game? If you like a heavily scripted story arc, if you like to be told what to do, if you like instructions, if you like quick results, if you have no patience, if you are obsessed with the most photo real graphics if you want perfection spoon fed to you ... basically if you are a sheep in the herd who gets too many cuddles from mummy and daddy and think the world owes you some debt of gratitude from streaming pathetic videos online because you aren't talented enough to do anything else with your life.. you should avoid this game. It'll probably annoy you. For everyone else that likes a challenge, enjoys exploration, has a passion for sci-fi old and new, anyone who dreamed of flying a spaceship through the cosmos and discovering creatures that have never been seen before, for anyone that daydreams about whats beyond our planet ... get this game. Its Beautiful, frustrating, exciting and I can only imagine its going to be even better in VR. BUY IT. Expand
  83. Aug 17, 2016
    When I play this game, I get this energetic feeling of enthusiasm I had as a kid when I played Diablo 2 or the first days of World of Warcraft. We all know this feeling from some game or another, but as the years pass it gets more difficult to attain this feeling again. I found it with this game and that's why I wanted to share this with you.

I registered on MetaCritic in order to write

I registered on MetaCritic in order to write this review, because I believe this game deserves a much higher rating than it currently received.

I have been looking out to this game since the first trailer came out (like, 2 years ago?). I'm 27 years old, and I game casually nowadays. This will not be a competitive game, or maybe in some future updates but not at the moment.

What I like about this game: the size. It's absolutely unimaginably big. And beautiful. I have visited around 10-15 planets, and some of them were absolutely amazing. I cannot stop thinking about how they fixed this randomly generated planet and it still looks almost better than some pre-created scenarios from other games.

Personally I think there is enough to do. I like the concept of Minecraft, and this game resembles it in SOME ways, but don't believe you are buying yourself a second Minecraft game. It's bigger (or more easily/fun to travel around), way more beautiful, different theme (space), the whole feeling is different.

BUY IF:
    You want to play a relaxing game after work/alone/with your girlfriend
    Like the concept of adventure/discovering things
    Like the concept of crafting things
    Like the concept of randomness
    Want a game for your kids (I believe this is great for children; very child-friendly and learning wise much better than shooters etc)

DONT BUY IF:
    You want action
    You want a shooter
    You don't like to search a cave for 10 minutes, not sure what you will find
    You don't like to travel a lot (the travel is beautiful, but you will travel a lot)

This is my personal opinion, I hope it may be of some help to some people. I'm really great I bought this and it's the first game in years that gets me that enthusiastic feeling. Thanks for reading!
  84. Aug 15, 2016
    No Man's Sky is certainly not for everyone; but if you've ever dreamed of piloting a spaceship through the galaxy exploring strange new planets and solving ancient mysteries, BUY IT! This is that particular dream come true!

If you're after an MMO, PvP, hardcore dogfighting in space or realistic graphics, step away; this is not for you. Graphics are not photo-realistic, but gorgeous

Graphics are not photo-realistic, but gorgeous and consistent. The procedural engine generates an infinite variety of plants, creatures, and planets (although, of course, there are lots of similarities). On the PS4 at least the gameplay is smooth (even while streaming). My only complaint here is the visibility of "pop-in" as the terrain-generators do their work well within the draw-distance, but that's only really visible while flying over terrain at low altitude. As of the current (1.03) patch, there's a few minor issues (some misspelled words, height/weight of creatures transposed, etc) but generally not noticeable.

The interface is at times a touch clunky (can definitely tell it was originally designed for PC) but works well enough. My only gripe here is that there seems to be no way to set up hot keys to quickly reload or recharge your equipment. Instead one has to constantly jump into the inventory to do so, which can be a bit hairy in the middle of combat.

Walking around on planets is standard fare for FPS's (although no strafing movement) but for those used to racing through FPS maps the movement might be a bit slow. Personally I don't mind because that's what this game is about (for me) - exploring and enjoying, rather than racing from one POI to the next.

The ship controls are fairly basic - don't expect a full-featured sim like Elite Dangerous - but it works well enough. After some initial frustrations with dog fighting I've now got a technique down which gets results. Flying between planets and stations is quick, at most taking a minute or so (unless interdicted by pirates).

Apart from just running around on planets tagging creatures the player will come across aliens (whose languages have to be learnt), ancient monuments (which give riddles to solve in exchange for goodies), and a variety of installations which can be interacted with. The puzzles I've found so far have been much too easy - it'd be nice if they would adjust based on the players age, or adjust in difficulty to the player. But then I'm only on the first few planets.

There's an overarching quest or story involving the "Atlas", enticing the players towards the center of the galaxy. There's no particular rush to follow this course though, which is nice for players who want to spend some time exploring their starting systems / areas.

Apart from some minor niggles (which hopefully will get patched out), this game is a 10/10 for me.
  85. Sep 7, 2016
    In many ways the victim of its own lofty goals and optimistic hyperbole, in addition to the rigors of game development, the No Man's Sky may not be the game many people were expecting, but it is nonetheless deserving of being considered for what it is, as well as what it is not. It truly is not a game for everybody, or even most people, but for those destined to fall to its charms, it isIn many ways the victim of its own lofty goals and optimistic hyperbole, in addition to the rigors of game development, the No Man's Sky may not be the game many people were expecting, but it is nonetheless deserving of being considered for what it is, as well as what it is not. It truly is not a game for everybody, or even most people, but for those destined to fall to its charms, it is nothing short of revelatory.

So let's begin with what it is not, which is Everything. It is not an endlessly involving, be-all-end-all, behemoth of a game. It is not a Call of Duty filling wrapped in a Skyrim tortilla and flavored with EVE Online and Star Citizen spices. It does not have 18 quintillion wholly unique worlds, with each one entirely different from the next. It is not a game that will hold your hand; it has neither the charming simplicity of a Mario game nor the soul-hardening depth of Dark Souls. It has a storyline of sorts to follow, but there is nothing genuinely world shattering. It is not Minecraft in space. It is not a multiplayer game, though the universe is shared. Nothing you ever do or see will ever be witnessed by anyone, ever, except through screen shots and the nigh impossible chance of crossing paths with another wanderer.

What it is, however, is something that is rarely seen in video games, or indeed any medium, and that is an invitation to explore and ponder. It strands you in outer space, with such an impossible distance to cover that one cannot help but relate that scale to their own existence and, if one is willing to ask such a question, ponder their own amazing insignificance, which to the best of my knowledge has rarely, if ever, been proposed in an interactive format normally focused on player empowerment. No Man's Sky is unflinching in its nihilism -- you will discover animals who will never be seen again, you will see vistas that will exist afterward only in your memory, and the game has no sympathy for the fleeting nature of your existence within it. It is a game built simultaneously on hope and hopelessness -- the anticipation of a powerful moment where the stars (figuratively) align, tempered with the knowledge that this is but a temporary elation.

In less grandiose terms, one can describe No Man's Sky as a stellar walking simulator without the narrative elements. It is the high tech equivalent of exploring via the Google Maps Street View, possibly while on an illicit substance. You are not here to save this universe, merely to observe it, and contemplate.

And, admittedly, make an awful lot of very pretty desktop wallpapers.

So, no, this game is by no means for everybody, or even most people. For me, it was an avenue to introduce my young children to the concept of the universe at large, the absurd scale by which we are such an insignificant speck in both time and space that the odds of us understanding anything concrete is infinitesimal. And it has so sparked their interest that instead of reading Hello Kitty for bedtime, we have a giant book of scientific facts; instead of dolls, my daughter asked for a telescope; instead of ninjas, they want to be scientists and astronauts when they grow up.

I guess, at the end, there should be a numerical value placed on this review, but I'm torn. If a review is to be taken as an individual's personal response to a piece of art, then I would have a hard time giving No Man's Sky less than a perfect 10. The places it has taken my family, and the questions it has made me ask of myself, are invaluable. If, on the other hand, the purpose of a review is to serve as a guidepost for others, then I must more objectively temper my feelings and account for the occasional glitches and crashes, the repetitiveness of the worlds over time, and the dearth of activities beyond exploration and occasional combat and crafting; if that is the route I am to take, I would err a bit lower, as not everyone will fall under the circumstances by which the game has come to mean so much to me.

And then I say to heck with it. This game is magical, and I argue that it transcends the normal expectations of the medium. I give it a 10.
  86. Aug 29, 2016
    No man's sky's beautiful visuals and fun exploration aspects help it overcome its tedious survival mechanics and snap-together creature and planet design

71%
  87. Aug 28, 2016
    With all the negative attention this game has had I've been able to enjoy it thoroughly.

I've been gaming for 20+ years and have recently struggled really enjoying lots of the AAA games. No Man's Sky is a perfect, casual, chill game. It's not what a lot of people feel was advertised. It's not the what you should get for a AAA title. It's worth the AAA price, in my opinion. It's just

No Man's Sky is a perfect, casual, chill game. It's not what a lot of people feel was advertised. It's not the what you should get for a AAA title. It's worth the AAA price, in my opinion. It's just so muc fun and hopefully it can get better.

If you're on the fence, wait.

If you want a chill space exploration game, get it.
  88. Aug 16, 2016
    Pretty addictive game, enjoy exploring and expanding my inventory. Learning 4 different alien languages is a fun spin in a game. Mining and resource management can be a hassle but it rewards you very well when all is done.
  89. Aug 22, 2016
    i'm over 100 hours in and still loving this... there are some things that got cut but 90% of what was actually promised is in the game... and more that was purposely never mentioned to keep the surprise wrapped up...

most of the people that are reviewing this badly never even gave it more than 10 hours (many of them less) and it can take 20+ if you don;t know what you're doing to even get to a different colored sun... that's not even a drop in the bucket compared to what's out there...

if you're on the fence on buying it... do yourself a favor and join one of the many FB groups and see all the things people are finding all over the game...
  90. Aug 16, 2016
    No Man’s Sky Review
    Gamers of the Round Table
    No Man’s Sky Review
    Gamers of the Round Table

Have you ever looked up to the night sky and wondered what it would be like to travel through the vast unknown? Developer Hello Games attempts to put players in the role of a universal traveller in their hyped-up hit, No Man’s Sky. The question on everyone’s mind is whether or not No Man’s Sky delivers on the experience promised by its developers. While No Man’s Sky allows players to travel through a near limitless universe, some aspects of the game can be less than engaging.

The Good
    It is important to remember that Hello Games has delivered on everything they said they would with regards to this game. The hype train created by the gaming community raised the expectations beyond anything the developers said about No Man’s Sky. From the beginning, Hello Games has been clear that while there are online features regarding the games universal atlas, this is a single-player game. There are limitless systems to explore in this expansive universe, and making your way throughout the game will require some serious resource management. Resources are stackable in your inventory, but treasures and upgrades are not, and each will take up an inventory space; you must decide what is more important to you, and in many cases the wrong decision can mean your life. Each star system has a space station with a market trader where you can unload your inventory if you want to use the fuel to fly from station to planet for every exploration. The good thing is that asteroids contain fuel for your ships pulse thrusters, along with other valuable resources; even if can find an abundance of fuel on a planet’s surface, look among the void to help you. This means that you’re never really stranded – your ship’s speed and the distance between your location and another planet/objective are calculated realistically, meaning even though you can see a planet in the distance, it could take you four hours or longer without using your pulse thrusters to reach your destination. This can be worrisome until you start blasting asteroids and realize they contain valuable fuel and resources.
    Not only can you discover new planet’s, animals, locations, and plant life, you can upload and change their name. The best part besides claiming everything you see in your name is that you get paid to upload the information. Scanning everything you can see on the planet’s surface can lead to quick cash that can help you upgrade your inventory and multi-tool. You will encounter new aliens and learn about their cultures, beliefs, and shape their attitudes towards you by discovering more about them; the more you learn about an alien race the better your standing becomes. No Man’s Sky milestones system sets goals for you regarding everything you do, whether it’s flying at warp speed, learning alien languages or just trekking on foot. From the very start of the game you are thrown into an adventure to collect resources to survive long enough to repair your ship. No game has offered the level of universal exploration that No Man’s Sky provides.

The Bad
    No Man’s Sky can become repetitive; exploring new planets, discovering alien languages, and gathering resources eventually feel mundane and more task-like than exciting. While new planets can have different eco-systems and resources, the urge to explore them as much as the first few doesn’t last. Landing on every planet you see to claim/re-name them can feel like a chore after a while. It’s important to get out and explore new systems to see what else is out there to feel like the game is progressing. Some milestones do not progress as well as others; most units accrued milestone category doesn’t count the overall cumulative amount of units you trade/earn. Instead, the milestone increases regarding your current unit amount. This can feel like an unrealistic goal to reach as purchasing inventory upgrades and new multi-tools causes the next upgrade to cost more – the more you upgrade, the more it costs, making it difficult to progress through the game and hold the amount of money that allows for the milestone to increase. Additionally, some glitches can be encountered while playing; the extreme weather milestone no longer counting solar rotations while you’re on the planet can be discouraging to players trying to collect all milestones and trophies.

Rating
    9/10 – Recognizing that this is the game that was promised, not the one hyped up beyond expectation, No Man’s Sky does everything it set out to do, even if you have to figure that out on your own. With a few issues that can largely be fixed with an update, this is a game you have to play to experience; watching live-streams, or your friends playing it only gives you a partial experience, like looking at a friend’s photographs from a vacation they took. You can see the fun had, but you didn’t experience it for yourself.
  91. Aug 14, 2016
    A beautiful game that satisfies a lifelong love of sci-fi. It rewards patience and requires engagement with your imagination. These two factors alone make it a very polarizing game. It asks a lot of the player, but for those who are willing, it is an amazing and rewarding experience.

The algorithmically generated planets are alien in the truest sense. I have a profound sense that I am alone and that I am walking a very dangerous path. Dashing to caverns for shelter during snow storms, fighting off angry sentinels and desperately seeking materials I need. All of this in a world smeared with jaw-dropping colors and gorgeous sound design.

For some of us, 'No Man's Sky' just clicks... like crazy... like a geiger counter. I love this game. My advise is this, don't let a critic with his own set of likes and dislikes tell you something isn't worth your time. You could wind up missing out on a very profound personal experience.
  92. Aug 15, 2016
    One of the most beautiful, breathtaking games I have ever played, and what makes it amazing is that it is procedural. I have looked out windows of space stations and see freighter's jump in and behind them sits floating a massive red planet with a green moon hovering above it. This game is not for everyone, but for a sci-fi fan who loves the "experience" of exploring and surviving in aOne of the most beautiful, breathtaking games I have ever played, and what makes it amazing is that it is procedural. I have looked out windows of space stations and see freighter's jump in and behind them sits floating a massive red planet with a green moon hovering above it. This game is not for everyone, but for a sci-fi fan who loves the "experience" of exploring and surviving in a massive and I mean massive universe, then this game is amazing and ground breaking. They have said they will continue to add content and make it better, so I'm going to enjoy the heck out of this game. The fact that this game was created by a small team is no small achievement. Thank you Hello Games!!! I can't wait for the updates and additions. Expand
  93. Aug 16, 2016
    I only played around two hours from the game so this review is rough but I will be addressing combat, story elements, and exploration/space.

First off the combat is good. It does remind me a bit of Fallout. I was only able to fight with the mining tool. At first there was some difficulty aiming but after fighting several drones I got the hang of it. I found some alien pods. Inside I found a weapon on the shelf which was fairly expensive. At this point I was only 30 minutes in and I already found a new weapon which I was very curious as to how it shoots and it's power. This alone gave me the desire to find more guns and to upgrade them. Some crates that I plundered gave me some upgrades to my mining gun. One of the upgrades made my mining gun stronger which is awesome to see. It was not hard to make and it was fun seeing the added power to the mining gun. Your suit is also a key component to the combat in No Man's Sky. Early on I fought many police drones because I did mine that one cave a little too much. But all in all, I felt like I was given too much health. I was taking many hits at the beginning and I was barely at half health. Scaling of health and health upgrades should be changed for the better without a doubt. But like the upgrades for the mining tool, I appreciate the upgrades that can be used on your suit and their effects on combat. Mixing the crafting component with upgrades for the combat aspect of the game is done very well. It makes me want to upgrade more and to test out my gear in battles.

Now on to story elements. This is where the game excels in my opinion. At the very beginning of the game I was given three options when I approached this technology I found. I honestly felt like my choice really made a difference for the story I was playing. And making more decisions like this from objects gives No Man's Sky its RPG edge. I met my first alien near the beginning of the game in one of the alien pods. The alien and I talked, granted I did not know what he was saying, and I was given three options. One of them was to pet, another to feed, and the last was to give credits. Of course I chose to give the alien credits because I do not know their customs and what is appropriate for their race. And on top of that, money talks. The alien was very pleased which made me very happy. I felt like I was one step closer to this unknown alien race. The progression of story on this alien race soon became an important goal for me to attain.

Lastly, I felt like No Man's Sky's exploration and space is slightly a double edged sword. But still I love it. The game is huge and I am definitely one of those guys who loves to explore every point of interest. In fact I will even double check places just to make sure I have everything. Once I started playing I instantly fell in love with it. I was like a boy at the candy shop. It was exhilarating to discover new rocks and plants to mine with my mining gun. At one point I needed a lot of one type of mineral and I mined for about 10 minutes straight. I can see how this can get tiring for majority of players. It was not really for me because I am totally fine with doing monotonous tasks. So with this I am not going to judge whether this is something the game needs to fix because it is depends on the player. And also, if a player should have any problem with doing a task over and over, they could just upgrade their gear so mining can go even faster. I did this and I was appreciative of the upgrade. And here is the thing about mining for so long and gathering materials; it takes up a lot of space. And no I do not mean the space that is galaxies upon galaxies. I am talking about inventory. At the beginning this was a struggle to deal with. I had to constantly go back into inventory and either craft or throw material out. Good thing is that I did not have to throw out many materials because a lot of things in my inventory had a use. For instance my suit needed certain minerals while my mining tool needed other minerals to repair it. Nevertheless, it was still a hassle to deal with. What I do applaud No Man's Sky when it comes to inventory is the sections of inventory. Your ship, your suit and your mining tool all can carry materials. This was helpful and made sense. For instance, whenever my ship thrusters needed repairing I would repair it with minerals found in my ship's inventory and not my mining tool's inventory. It made sense that transferring things from my ship all the way to my suit would not work if the distance was too far.

In conclusion, the combat is good, the story elements are exceptional, and the exploration/space is still a bit rough. I loved the game and I am very thankful that my friend was able to let me test it out. I will without doubt buy the game whenever I get the chance. I am also excited for new updates that will enhance the game further. Never before have I wanted to explore a planet so thoroughly along with the vast No Man's Sky universe.
  94. Aug 28, 2016
    If you have realistic expectations of what a procedurally generated game can be, those expectations will be met or exceeded. The game definitely has some bugs, like anything, and it's not for everyone, but taken honestly for what it is, it's a great game. Ignore the hype, and the anti-hype. It's more than worth the money.
  95. Aug 10, 2016
    The sheer size is extraordinary and taking the time to explore planets that you'll never see the entirety of is fascinating, but it's a very lonely game - possibly the loneliest I've ever played. Like most, I started the game with the hopes that at some point I'd run into other players, despite the odds. That upon reaching the center of the Galaxy (which I have yet to do) a community wouldThe sheer size is extraordinary and taking the time to explore planets that you'll never see the entirety of is fascinating, but it's a very lonely game - possibly the loneliest I've ever played. Like most, I started the game with the hopes that at some point I'd run into other players, despite the odds. That upon reaching the center of the Galaxy (which I have yet to do) a community would be waiting for me. Unfortunately, no two players can ever see each other - not even if they're standing right next to each other (it's been tested and recorded). The only thing that links players together is their discoveries and the ridiculously stupid/clever things they name them.

The game is whatever you want to make of it. You have a whole universe to explore - one that can never be seen in its entirety. You can play along with the vague story the game provides or you can do your own thing. Abandon yourself upon a planet and survive, fly endlessly towards a star (I did this for hours and never seemed to get any closer), fight the Sentinels and see what crazy big backup they call in, go on a quest for power and get all the best upgrades, attempt killing off an entire planet (probably not possible), search out space battles, etc. etc. The possibilities are strangely both limitless and very limited.

All in all, it's a great game. I thought I'd be bored of it soon after I started, but that's still not the case. From a purely explorative standpoint, No Man's Sky is a masterpiece. If they somehow manage to patch in actual multiplayer, it may be one of the few examples of a perfect game.
  96. Aug 17, 2016
    This game is not for everyone. For instance, if you're a moron with no imagination that requires their hand held through every moment of a game and needs explosions every 4 seconds to hold your attention, then DO NOT get this game. If you like space and exploring, this is a good game for you. It has more of a sandbox feel than most games. I'm not sure why we need to reach the center ofThis game is not for everyone. For instance, if you're a moron with no imagination that requires their hand held through every moment of a game and needs explosions every 4 seconds to hold your attention, then DO NOT get this game. If you like space and exploring, this is a good game for you. It has more of a sandbox feel than most games. I'm not sure why we need to reach the center of the galaxy and I doubt I ever will. That's just not what the game is about to me. Expand
  97. Aug 14, 2016
    The biggest complaint I keep seeing about this game is that "it's too vast and big". This is the most ignorant thing I have seen. It is SPACE. You're supposed to feel : overwhelmed, unsure, lonely (at times), lost and small. That is the entire scope of the game but it balances it out with an amazing "Awe" factor that space really offers. It has nothing to do with the lack of "trueThe biggest complaint I keep seeing about this game is that "it's too vast and big". This is the most ignorant thing I have seen. It is SPACE. You're supposed to feel : overwhelmed, unsure, lonely (at times), lost and small. That is the entire scope of the game but it balances it out with an amazing "Awe" factor that space really offers. It has nothing to do with the lack of "true procedurally generated quintilian planets" (which is does have) it's about discovery. It is a mix of Minecraft, Skyrim, Terraria and Star Wars.

The only complaint I really could say is that it does drop you into the game with ZERO tutorial really on much. But then again this is not a mega huge deal because you , literally, get dropped onto a random civilization.

What Hello Games has done with their code and aspirations are amazing. 8/10 for me.
  98. Aug 14, 2016
    Do you have an imagination? Are you a mature person? Are you patient? If you answered 'Yes' to all the above, I recommend this game.

The core 'game' mechanic of the game is based around inventory management and crafting. Recipes are unlocked through visiting points of interest. There is no home base, nothing to tie you down. It's just you and your starship (and your multitool) which you slowly upgrade, while you meet alien races and try to understand what they're saying to you with only a few of their words known.

Even though it's a complete and deep game, we have the promise of more content to look forward to. I've sunk 30 hours into this game in two days and can't wait to explore more.
  99. Aug 17, 2016
    Don't listen to the negative reviews, the game is original, fresh and addictive if you like exploration and discovery... usual negative reviews comes from people that are so used to play the same formula for years... I can honestly say this is one of the best gaming experiences I've had in the last decade, cannot stop playing it.
  100. Aug 17, 2016
    Not a game for everyone, but I, for one, fell in love with the calming serenity of the vast, open space. Don't hurl yourself from one planet to the next, you'll only find peace and enjoyment in spending time with each world. Name them, actually read the lore given. Yes, you are all but utterly alone, but you can watch a beautiful sun setting over an azure ocean or lose yourself in theNot a game for everyone, but I, for one, fell in love with the calming serenity of the vast, open space. Don't hurl yourself from one planet to the next, you'll only find peace and enjoyment in spending time with each world. Name them, actually read the lore given. Yes, you are all but utterly alone, but you can watch a beautiful sun setting over an azure ocean or lose yourself in the depths of a cavern made perilous by small, fast predators. Don't be in a hurry to find the Galactic center and you will find your own in it's place. Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 96 Critic Reviews

1. May 8, 2020
    While I’m sure developer Hello Games is still tweaking things and perhaps even creating more content for No Man’s Sky, the current state of affairs is a strong one. This galactic opus still offers an infinite amount of content for those who want to lose themselves among the stars, but now also contains a concrete throughline that will satisfy a wider array of players. It can be irritating at times, but it’s also full of stunning moments and the satisfaction of building a virtual life among the stars. Four years after launch, it’s finally a journey worth taking.
  2. Feb 10, 2017
    The world of No Man's Sky is insanely vast and beautiful, but there’s nothing to do in it! There’s no goal, no destination, no ending, nothing!
  3. Dec 1, 2016
    While No Man's Sky is engrossing for the first few hours, repetition starts to set in and the proceedings grow dull. The developers stated that they plan to add significant features such as base building which could dramatically change the game for the better. There's a promising foundation present, so it's possible to envision a more substantial game down the line. As it currently stands, though, our excitement to cross the universe faded sooner than we expected.