7.8

1. Feb 25, 2021
    Being a huge Persona fan, this game has been on my radar for a few years now. Even if I wasn't very excited about the Musou style combat, I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt for story. At the end of the day, the combat was actually my favorite part of the game. However the rushed story and lack of character moments for the main cast really impacted my enjoyment of the game byBeing a huge Persona fan, this game has been on my radar for a few years now. Even if I wasn't very excited about the Musou style combat, I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt for story. At the end of the day, the combat was actually my favorite part of the game. However the rushed story and lack of character moments for the main cast really impacted my enjoyment of the game by quite alot.
    Starting with the combat, its actually closer to an action RPG then a true Musou style game. You run around the game world, finding enemies to fight. Then once an encounter has been initiated with a single enemy, multiple groups of baddies show up to fight you. Its very fun to see how they combined the turn based style of the regular games into a very fun, if a bit chaotic at first, style of battle system. I was caught by surprise by how much I ended up liking the game. I would probably recommend people not familiar with Musou style games to start on easy to get a handle on how combat works at first. Diving head long into the combat system, thinking it'll be just like the previous game, wont work out very well for you.
    Coming to the story, however, I was pretty disheartened by how little, it seems, the ending of the previous game mattered here. The characters hardly ever even reference the ending of the first game, which when there's a massive spoiler in the first few minutes of this game for the previous games ending, it would have been nice for them to reference it. You also dont get to carry over any major relationship decisions from the previous game and have no chance of trying to rekindle any relationship decisions here. That combined with the social links aspect being taken out of the game entirely, really put a damper on my enjoyment of this game. It really felt like nothing I did in the previous game mattered even in the slightest. Not just for my personal playthrough but also for the outcome of alot of things from the previous games plot. It also doesnt help that the story here is a fairly by-the-numbers anime trope filled plot that I was actually starting to get bored of by the end. The main plot felt extremely rushed. Each dungeon only got about 4-6 in game days to be fully explored by the plot and there were certain plot holes that were left unfilled because of the rushed schedule the game seems to be under.
    At the end of the day, any reason I get to play more Persona and be invested in this world I'll take. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the battle system, but that was tampered by my severe lack of enjoyment of the story, mainly due to a lack of continuity between both games. I'd still recommend it for fans of the base Persona 5 game. Especially since this is supposed to be a direct sequel to that game. People looking for any references to Royal here will be disappointed.
  2. Feb 24, 2021
    (This is a long one, so there's probably many typos. Just, uh, pretend they don't exist.)
    Honestly, a lot better than I expected. On a critical level, I'd actually have to say that this is a pretty darn good game. Now before I get into my review, I wanna preface with a few thoughts.

There's some important things to know before getting into this game; that is, what the heck Persona 5 Strikers (or "Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers," as it is affectionately known in Japan, for some cursed reason) is. Technically, it's a sequel, in the most literal sense of the word. That is, a story that takes place in the universe of Persona 5, after the original's story and continues to develop similar themes and mechanics as the prior installment. But anyone who's familiar with the Persona release schedule knows that this is still, technically, a spin-off, meaning that it's a sequel in the same way that Persona 4 Dancing All Night is a sequel. But, fundamentally, it's still a spin-off. Now in terms of spin-offs, this is easily the best Persona's seen, in my opinion, and it comes strikingly close to replicating the feel and the gameplay loop of a mainline Persona entry, but it's still a spin-off (with a sequel story), so don't go in expecting a full-fledged Persona experience. To be honest, I think that this all goes without saying, but a lot of people seemed confused about just what this game is. Not to mention, some reviews on here seem to be critical of the game for not being as grandiose as Persona 5, when that was obviously never going to be the case, so I think this bears saying at least. Point is, this is Persona 5 Strikers, not Persona 5-2, so set your expectations in that regard.

Now about the game itself; like I said, I think it's great. Let's start with the main draw for most people: the real-time combat.
    Real-time combat was a concept that was originally planned for P5, so to see it come to fruition here at the hands of Omega Force (with the aid of Atlus itself) is very interesting. And honestly, it works really, really well. If you're looking at Omega Force's involvement here and thinking "oh, cool, Persona Dynasty Warriors," then get that thought outta your mind. I can assure you that this is NOTHING like Omega Force's prior works. Rather, combat meets in a very fine halfway point between Dynasty Warriors and Persona 5, sometimes teetering in P5 territory even more so than DW. It's fast, it's frenzied, but there's still an air of strategy involved here. Honestly, think of it as a more hectic and slightly less-refined (though equally as fun) FFVIIR combat system. Between all the special attacks, switching between different characters with vast and varied movesets, there's honestly a ton of depth here. Add Joker into the mix and the combat can get really intricate.

Rather than discussing the story, I'm more inclined to talk about the writing in general; it feels like P5, so much so that my speculation is that many of the dialogue writers from P5 worked on this as well. And I think that's great; so many times throughout my playthrough, I would stop and go like "wow, this is actually so P5!" The character writing is on-point, the humor is on-point and the subtle attention to detail in character interactions is there as well. But with that said, P5S doesn't selectively inherit the quirks of P5's writing; in inherits all of it, including the bad. That includes characters repeating things that have long-since been established as fact ad nauseum, long tirades about friendship and the heart and occasionally grating platitudes. Even in terms of structure, you're getting the same formulaic game layout. But this also means that it has the same highs as P5's writing, with the aforementioned character writing, for example. Likewise, for every grating platitude, there's a genuinely compelling piece of moral sentiment to be found, so really, it's just more P5. To me, that's enough to call the writing a success, since it's what I'd want from a spin-off sequel, but if the writing of P5 bothered you, then just keep that in mind.

I'm cutting it close to the character limit, so I'm gonna try to wrap things up here; apologies if I'm leaving out something pertinent. I guess that last thing I wanna touch on is the music. I mean, it rocks for the most part. The overworld music is a blast to listen to and fits in perfectly with the P5 soundfont. The battle themes, OP and ED are easily some of my favorite P5 songs as well. But for some reason, the songs you'll end up listening to the most--the Jail themes--are surprisingly weak. I mean, I know that they went with a different direction for those than they did in P5; think more energetic and dynamic, like something you'd hear at a theme park. But that's not what bothers me, I don't mind that change. Just, as a whole, a good portion (note: not all) of those themes sound a bit flat, and don't mesh with the P5 style of music at all. Not bad, but just surprisingly weak
  3. Feb 21, 2021
    This game is fun, and provides a decent challenge. And all the familiar faces brings me right back to when I played the original Persona 5 for the first time. A Dynasty Warriors style Persona 5 is a cool concept, and I look forward to playing more of it.

However, it obviously doesn't hold as much charm as the original Persona 5, much less Persona 5 Royal (the far superior version). Plus, I'm playing this on PC, and the PC controls are weird, so I recommend playing with a controller.

Note: This game is a direct sequel to the original Persona 5, NOT Persona 5 Royal.
  4. Feb 24, 2021
    Awesome game of persona Musou Style. Tons of Fun, if you enjoy Peraona 5, you enjoy this game 10/10
  5. Feb 24, 2021
    I love persona 5. I think p5s is a fun and worthy sequel for p5. But I think it may not be as good as p5 itself.
  6. Feb 24, 2021
    I enjoy P5 and P5 Royal, and Dynasty Wrriors saga. This game have a pretty solid gameplay and a good story. All fans of Persona saga enjoy this ^_^
  7. Feb 24, 2021
    This game exceeds all the expectations i had. The music is incredible, both of it, the new and the remixes of Persona 5, the story is also a really good ambit, the new phantom thieves are lovely characters, its impossible not like Zenkichi or Sophia, and the Monarchs of the Jails (the palaces of this game) are all charismatic and good antagonists, and the Jails... oh my god the jails, allThis game exceeds all the expectations i had. The music is incredible, both of it, the new and the remixes of Persona 5, the story is also a really good ambit, the new phantom thieves are lovely characters, its impossible not like Zenkichi or Sophia, and the Monarchs of the Jails (the palaces of this game) are all charismatic and good antagonists, and the Jails... oh my god the jails, all of them has an excellent design, the bosses are also really well designed and all of them are fun, my personal favorite is the one of the 5th Jail. This game was amazing. Expand
  8. Feb 23, 2021
  9. Feb 24, 2021
    Im fan of Persona saga since P3. Love this game, Persona 5 Dancing was very fun, i enjoy this kind of Spin Off canon. Fun game
  10. Feb 22, 2021
    It’s a fantastic game; the soundtrack is impeccable and the gameplay is pretty fun. I think it’s a 10/10 game as far as I’m concerned but it could’ve been 11/10 with confidants. The story is phenomenal either way.
  11. Feb 20, 2021
    its great, and i love the music so much, worthy sequel for p5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. Feb 24, 2021
    Good game. Very fun mechanics. At least 40/50 Hours of content. One game that every fan of persona enjoy
  13. Feb 23, 2021
    Persona 5 Strikers is an excellent sequel to the original Persona 5, filled with as much love and life as the original game.
  14. Feb 20, 2021
    Yeah it feed so great when persona 5 royal came out last year and again another persona 5 this year. Feel amazing=D
  15. Feb 21, 2021
    It’s a brilliant persona 5 sequel will real time combat. It’s like playing persona for the first time again I love this game.
  16. Feb 24, 2021
    Solid gameplay, awesome Seiyuu/VA work, Really good soundtrack. It's a goog spin off on P5. I have the Steel Book version, beautiful case. 100% recommended
  17. Feb 22, 2021
    Persona 5 Strikers is a worthy sequel of Persona 5. The gameplay is addicting, satisfying, and most important of all, fun. The game keeps the amazing art design and soundtrack, it's so good that even the menus are amazing, the soundtrack is perfect for when you're slashing dozen of enemies and only makes the fights better. The new characters introduced are well written and are overallPersona 5 Strikers is a worthy sequel of Persona 5. The gameplay is addicting, satisfying, and most important of all, fun. The game keeps the amazing art design and soundtrack, it's so good that even the menus are amazing, the soundtrack is perfect for when you're slashing dozen of enemies and only makes the fights better. The new characters introduced are well written and are overall great additions to the story. I definitely recommend this if you loved Persona 5 and Persona 5 Royal like me. Expand
  18. Feb 21, 2021
    It's awesome to be back to this world were exists the phantom thieves of hearts, I love how they got more friendly moments for this beautiful team, it's stills stylish from clothes to soundtracks, as for the gameplay it still amazing although p5 was turned based, but it is an amazing game for those who love joker and his friends.
  19. Feb 20, 2021
    Top, grande sequência ! Ainda prefiro o primeiro jogo, porém é muito bom também.
  20. Feb 22, 2021
    A sequel that is totally worth it, great story, a great soundtrack and an addictive gameplay, if you buy it you will not regret it
  21. Feb 24, 2021
    The Gameplay is very Fun, and the Story is good. Its persona Musou but im really enjoy it. 10/10. Waiting for more of the Phantom Thieves.
  22. Feb 24, 2021
    Quick Menus, Super stylish! You can tell the developers took their time with this game by the way the presentation is executed with this title! If you liked Persona 5 and are a fan of the series for its deep story this is a great title! Can't put it down! Hack & slash like you have never seen the ceiling for skill for higher difficulty is LARGE! This is a complete game! Great job TeamQuick Menus, Super stylish! You can tell the developers took their time with this game by the way the presentation is executed with this title! If you liked Persona 5 and are a fan of the series for its deep story this is a great title! Can't put it down! Hack & slash like you have never seen the ceiling for skill for higher difficulty is LARGE! This is a complete game! Great job Team Ninja, Koei Tecmo games! Expand
  23. Feb 22, 2021
    Persona 5 Strikers is a great addition to the series. The gameplay, the story, characters, new locations, new mechanics, the music, are completely great. Something that makes it even better is that is just not a simple musou, its actually more Persona than a typical musou game. The only flaws i see is the limited things you can actually do on the new locations and that is not a directPersona 5 Strikers is a great addition to the series. The gameplay, the story, characters, new locations, new mechanics, the music, are completely great. Something that makes it even better is that is just not a simple musou, its actually more Persona than a typical musou game. The only flaws i see is the limited things you can actually do on the new locations and that is not a direct sequel from the enhanced version Persona 5 Royal but from Persona 5 from 2017. Persona 5 Strikers is a great musou game and i totally recomend it to buy it.
    PS: The game can run at 60 stable fps on the base PS4, so its not completely necessary to worry about that.
  24. Feb 21, 2021
    Es una muy digna secuela del Persona 5,han sabido pasar todos los elementos del Persona 5 original a un juego de acción y a salido un juegazo con muy buena historia y un gameplay adictivo y desafiante
  25. Feb 21, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I got this game early because I pre ordered the deluxe version. I have to say the Jails are so neat! The villains are top notch as you’d expect and follow nearly the same formula as exploring a castle. I was worried the game wouldn’t strike me since it’s got the dynasty warriors vibe to it. I’m glad to say I love it though and seeing these characters back is a great way to start the year off! Even if you’re slightly skeptical about this game, I’d say try it. I really thought I wouldn’t love it but here I am. It retains the P5 charm and while sure, loses some features, it also gains a lot too! It’s a worthy sequel and one I’ll keep coming to. Expand
  26. Feb 22, 2021
    P5S is a sequel to an amazing game. I got into the game not knowing what to expect (persona 5 original) and fell in love with all aspects of it: the music, the story, the gameplay the grown up Pokémon style. Persona 5 Strikers is a follow up to an insanely successful game, so far the story is great and I’m looking forward to finishing it, the gameplay for me is less great in comparison toP5S is a sequel to an amazing game. I got into the game not knowing what to expect (persona 5 original) and fell in love with all aspects of it: the music, the story, the gameplay the grown up Pokémon style. Persona 5 Strikers is a follow up to an insanely successful game, so far the story is great and I’m looking forward to finishing it, the gameplay for me is less great in comparison to the turn-based combat, but I still like it because it has it’s own persona flavor behind it. My advice to anyone willing to get P5S: PLAY PERSONA 5 FIRST! if you like it and fall in love with it the way I did then definitely get Persona 5 Strikers Expand
  27. Feb 24, 2021
    Simplemente maravilloso, la BSO sigue siendo de 10, la historia de 10, ahora es más rapido, ágil y directo... gracias Atlus por seguir regalándonos estas joyas.
  28. Feb 25, 2021
    Amazing fun game. Easily the best hack and slash game out there. Also a great sequel to Persona 5. Would recommend to anyone.
  29. Mar 1, 2021
    I really like P5, but to be honest I was full of doubt when this sequel was announced. It was hard to imagine a turn-based RPG end up being a hack 'n' slash action RPG. I don't know why but Atlus & Omega Force somehow managed to make it very fascinating. I had a chance to play the game even before the english version is released and cleared it 3-4 times. The cast is still great, music isI really like P5, but to be honest I was full of doubt when this sequel was announced. It was hard to imagine a turn-based RPG end up being a hack 'n' slash action RPG. I don't know why but Atlus & Omega Force somehow managed to make it very fascinating. I had a chance to play the game even before the english version is released and cleared it 3-4 times. The cast is still great, music is amazing as ever and gameplay is pretty interesting even though there's still room for improvement in some aspects. Not gonna lie, it was a lot of fun. Expand
  30. Feb 28, 2021
    It's a layup if you're a fan of the previous Persona 5 games. The different game mechanics and somewhat-bizarre anti-aliasing are quickly overtaken by a sequel-worthy story and soundtrack.
  31. Mar 1, 2021
    This game is really good. I played the original persona 5 and its one of the most satisfying jrpgs in the decade. This game basically continues the story of that game while adding a new battle system and new gameplay elements. Everything about it like prety much in this game. Persona 5 was for me way to long, this game’s length is slightly shorter but i feel like ill put way more hoursThis game is really good. I played the original persona 5 and its one of the most satisfying jrpgs in the decade. This game basically continues the story of that game while adding a new battle system and new gameplay elements. Everything about it like prety much in this game. Persona 5 was for me way to long, this game’s length is slightly shorter but i feel like ill put way more hours than the 40 hours they said it takes to beat because the dungeons can be confusing and take a awhile to figure out where to go and the grinding will add lot more hours to the gameplay. I Really like this and any rpg fan should play it. Only thing i didnt like was that the battle system can be confusing and take awhile to get used to, also the story is a little more complex this time so far in the game little hard to follow sometimes. Really amazingly made game. Expand
  32. Feb 23, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Um jogo ótimo, mas n supera seu antecessor, muito se pode ver pela nova proposta em musou e deixando de ser um rpg de turno Expand
  33. Feb 24, 2021
    I enjoy P5 strikers. The gameplay and the boss fights. Maybe i want Multiplayer, but i undestand why not. Great Persona game, maybe 30 pr 40 hours and New Game +. A lot of Personas and Fusions. Waiting for more content like this.
  34. Feb 24, 2021
    First off if I had to give this an objective score, I’d probably go with an 8 or 9 but due to some of the totally ridiculous low score reviews I felt the need to bump up my score. Let me first begin by saying, if you are expecting a directly sequel to Persona 5/ Persona 5 Royal, this isn’t that nor did it ever claim to be. I’m not sure where these people got the idea it was a directFirst off if I had to give this an objective score, I’d probably go with an 8 or 9 but due to some of the totally ridiculous low score reviews I felt the need to bump up my score. Let me first begin by saying, if you are expecting a directly sequel to Persona 5/ Persona 5 Royal, this isn’t that nor did it ever claim to be. I’m not sure where these people got the idea it was a direct sequel, but a simple google search would tell you it’s a spin off. The game has been out for months in Japan so there really shouldn’t be any surprises in terms of what the game is/isn’t. Now for the game itself, I think it’s a fantastic spinoff from the mainline persona games. I am a huge fan of the “Musou” style action games and this is the most interesting one I’ve played in a long time. It feels like a persona game with encounters like a Musou game. It’s very similar to an older project series by Atlus games, Raidou, but way better executed. The story is very good for what it is and builds off of the story from P5. The biggest criticisms I can make are that the persona compendium isn’t as vast and there is really only 1 small part of the game that at all resembles a social link from the main persona series. However, because this is a spin-off and not a sequel the game still works without that. If you like action style RPGs, are a fan of Persona 5, or just want a new interesting take on Musou games I highly recommend this. Expand
  35. Feb 25, 2021
    A fantastic experience for fans of the series, fun combat that is very engaging And is not all about button mashing at all. While not as great as the turn based style, it provides a great challenge and is a nice change of pace and something different from turn based combat which allows you to get to use any of your favourite Phantom Thieves. It's story is very good and menues andA fantastic experience for fans of the series, fun combat that is very engaging And is not all about button mashing at all. While not as great as the turn based style, it provides a great challenge and is a nice change of pace and something different from turn based combat which allows you to get to use any of your favourite Phantom Thieves. It's story is very good and menues and soundtrack is phenomenal. A must buy for all phantom Thieves fans. Expand
  36. Feb 25, 2021
    More Like an action rpg than a classic musou great and deep gameplay , tons of dialogues beautiful art and soundtrack. Reccomended for all persona and shin megami tensei and fans of action games.
  37. Mar 1, 2021
    The game is great, a true sequel to P5. Some of the dialogs will cause you confusion if you have not played P5. and.... Just pretend royal did not happened. :D
  38. Mar 1, 2021
    great game, i love the combat and the stiory, perfect sequel.
  39. Mar 1, 2021
    I am reviewing this game as someone who has finished both prior P5 games

This game is quite flawed, but at the same time it is a perfect sequel to the original P5 in terms of its story and what this game is. Firstly I do not recommend this game to people who did not finish the original Persona 5 (Not Royal) or who are just looking for a new Musou Title that they can just dive into.
    I am reviewing this game as someone who has finished both prior P5 games

Firstly I do not recommend this game to people who did not finish the original Persona 5 (Not Royal) or who are just looking for a new Musou Title that they can just dive into. They advertise this game as a standalone experience and as it's own thing, but there are sooooo many references to the original story of P5, and the story beats are much more satisfying knowing the context behind the original.

Next I love the direction this game went, in terms of how to continue the story. A summer vacation traveling around Japan was the perfect choice to continue the Phantom thieves stories, and I though the summer events of P5 felt like they were rushed, so to see a lot of those summer events come into play, but more focused this time around, the experience is really cool. I will say I am a bit disappointed they don't go as all in as I would like though sometimes, because the game constantly cuts to black for scenes I would like to see animated.

In terms of gameplay, this game feels like a mix of Kingdom Hearts and your typical Musou Fair, but with the persona series' weakness and persona system. The game can take some real getting used to, but ultimately it isn't that deep. The combat itself is pretty low mind energy fun, but can get very repetitive due to the long length of this games Jails(Dungeons) , (Which the Jails themselves are really repetitive as well). Despite the repetition, I think the switch to hack and slash was cool, I just wished it were more polished, The lock on system is really Wonky, Bosses can feel very padded sometimes (especially Lock Keepers, They are honestly the most boring fights in the game), Also I like the vertical mobility in this game via climbing, jumping and double jumping,

And the Games Soundtrack? do you even need me to say it? It's freakin great! There are some songs that I would say are better than some of the OG P5's songs.(That Sendai and Sapporo town theme is 10/10).

If you played the original P5, a thing I am mixed on, is the way persona creation is handled. I miss the confidant system but for this game it makes a lotttt of sense why it isn't there. I actually like the mroe streamlined approach to fusing persona's and think it works with this game really well. I just miss those Arcana Boosts!!!

I definitely really enjoy this game and will see myself playing it again in succession with the first P5 when I play it through again.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 58 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 1, 2021
    Despite all the fighting you will do here, and despite all the room that the developers have made for sociopolitical theater, Strikers is still a well-earned vacation for our heroes, an emphatic, energetic punctuation mark to a much larger experience.
  2. Feb 27, 2021
    A very tasty Persona experience with a hint of Koei’s Warriors for good measure.
  3. Feb 25, 2021
    Persona 5 Strikers is a pleasant surprise that renews the way games in the musou style are made and directs it towards the RPG genre. It may arrive without much unbridled action and spectacular movements, but integrates an element of strategy, and character development with a well-paced story. In all, it's an outstanding teenage road story that breaks the mold. We have no doubt Persona 5 fans will enjoy it from start to finish.