8.2

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Nov 9, 2022
    Sonic Frontiers feels like a desperate breath of fresh air into the series.

Sonic Frontiers feels like a desperate breath of fresh air into the series.

It is not perfect by any means - cyberspace levels are hit or miss and some are genuinely AWFUL to go through and S rank (3-7 lmao), pop in is an issue though it's not a big deal to me, and there are a few minor bugs that I have encountered only twice in my 15 hours of playtime so far. However, everything else outshines it. The story is great with the help of Ian Flynn, known for the Sonic IDW comics. The voice acting is okay for the most part, Amy's in particular is wonderful. Character interactions are great and feel so much better than what we got in the last decade.

Exploring the open world is genuinely great. I always find myself exploring to see what else there is to find instead of going to the main goal. Last night, I said I'd only play for another hour. Before I knew it, I had played for 8. (Also I do not understand the complaints about the world feeling "empty", I think stuff being spaced out is necessary given how fast Sonic goes.)

But more or less, this game leaves a wonderful foundation for follow-ups. I cannot wait to see what the Sonic series brings in the future.

P.S. The soundtrack is FIRE and they got Kellin Quinn from Sleeping with Sirens on it. 100/10 banger OST.
  2. Nov 16, 2022
    This is the right way! Sonic Frontiers may have its flaws but damn, this is a good game and, yes, still feels like Sonic, a good Sonic. The bosses are incredible, the combat system is great and a solid base for the future, that shonen style fits so well with Sonic, the story is pretty decent, the ost is amazing and the gameplay of Sonic is really comfortable and fun. But yeah, the floatingThis is the right way! Sonic Frontiers may have its flaws but damn, this is a good game and, yes, still feels like Sonic, a good Sonic. The bosses are incredible, the combat system is great and a solid base for the future, that shonen style fits so well with Sonic, the story is pretty decent, the ost is amazing and the gameplay of Sonic is really comfortable and fun. But yeah, the floating platforms look too weird, the damn pop-in is there, the islands don't look creative (and are very small) some secundary missions with mini plot could've been a good adition and yes, the cyberspace may be fun but is just 4 themes and taking better levels from other games (instead of the Metal Harbor of Frontiers, I do prefer the one from SA2). But in the end, this is not only good, it's an honest game, I can see the love here, that everyone in the development (since programming until ost, story and desing of the enemies) wanted to give us a good Sonic game, and a first step for the future, so... thanks, guys, for bringing back the blue man, Finally we can say that yes, Sonic is here. Expand
  3. Nov 10, 2022
    No game is perfect, but this game is really good, I would give it a 9 because I’m a Sonic Fan, but I would be too biased. Anyway, 06 was 16 (f word) years ago. Who. Cares. It was bad? Yes, maybe. However it isn’t that bad to be still talked 16 years later. Grow up. Anyway, back to Frontiers review.

“Uh, Sonic should’ve died in 2D” What about Mario then? “Same thing for Mario” No. After

“Uh, Sonic should’ve died in 2D”

What about Mario then?

“Same thing for Mario”

No. After 10 years of cringe-jokes, bad writing we finally got a game where Sonic takes itself seriously again. It was never meant for kids. It was meant for everyone. Yeah the movies did him dirty (I’m not saying the movies are bad, they are REALLY good. Thing is, they made Sonic character for kids. It make sense since he’s still a kid there but then everyone will think he is. When he’s not.)

“Image being a kid, he would be bored playing this game”

Are you that kid? Stop self projecting. Why we have to treat Kids like they are stupid? Super Paper Mario was 14 years ago. Do I really have to explain what I’m saying? That game aged like fine wine. Bowser’s Inside Story is another one. And this will do the same because it’s good. It’s so good. Cyberspace is the “eh, okay” of the game, I see the potential, it can be improved. And here I thought I would hate this game, I hate open worlds and I don’t like Zelda at all, but I respect it because that’s just me, Zelda makes good games. Wait, silly me, this is an “Open Zone” game (coping? Maybe) but well, I liked it. Maybe that’s why it worked. I recommend it to you all.
  4. Nov 10, 2022
    Sonic Frontiers mastefully acknoledges the past while at the same time moving forward in the best ways possible in both Gameplay and Story! This game is amazing and has me extremely excited for the future of Sonic!
  5. Nov 16, 2022
    Sonic Frontiers is fun! ..and a bit janky. So matter what, Sonic can't seem to shake a feeling of low budget, and rushed releases. Even though I did enjoy this game, I think that it is still worrying when the game still isn't up to modern, animation, graphics, and presentation standards. It boggles my mind that the game was so janky too, with Sonic tending to launch of random points ofSonic Frontiers is fun! ..and a bit janky. So matter what, Sonic can't seem to shake a feeling of low budget, and rushed releases. Even though I did enjoy this game, I think that it is still worrying when the game still isn't up to modern, animation, graphics, and presentation standards. It boggles my mind that the game was so janky too, with Sonic tending to launch of random points of collision on the ground, or flying off rails. The Titans we're a highlight, being MGR style set pieces, they did play themselves a lot though. The optional bosses, Guardians, are fun! They can take a bit to figure out, but are extremely fun to figure out. They can be drawn out though, like Shark, and Janky like Asura's final phase, but still very big highlights of the game. The story is a refreshing and familiar take on these characters which have been ignored and poorly portrayed for the last decade. It's been since 2009, the last time I didn't want to kick these characters in the ball, but Ian Flynn does a decent job for the story this time around. I would say pick up Sonic Frontiers, but wait for a price drop or Steam Sale, the game is fun, but is way to Janky to pay full price for. Expand
  6. Jan 1, 2023
    This game has a lot of positives. Exploring each island and zipping through obstacles as sonic is addicting, and I found myself unable to put the game down. The combat was fun and I found myself trying to utilize different combos rather than mindlessly button-mashing. The mini-bosses throughout each island were a good challenge. The graphics, scenery, and music are phenomenal, addingThis game has a lot of positives. Exploring each island and zipping through obstacles as sonic is addicting, and I found myself unable to put the game down. The combat was fun and I found myself trying to utilize different combos rather than mindlessly button-mashing. The mini-bosses throughout each island were a good challenge. The graphics, scenery, and music are phenomenal, adding to the already thrilling experience. Even the story and writing are respectable. Sonic's often eye-rolling borderline annoying personality is mellowed out, and all the characters, even including Egg Man, undergo meaningful character development. The utilization of the chaos emeralds and Super Sonic is easily my favorite of the series, with each final boss of each island being a joy to play. It's a breath of fresh air seeing Sonic Team experiment with new concepts and learn from past mistakes.

The game isn't free from problems. The islands did feel empty, lacking much other than hills, springs, and grind rails. Pop-ins are often, but they weren't really a big issue for me personally.
    The cyberspace seemed rushed, being mediocre at best and outright bad at its worst. Most of the level designs were pulled from Sonic Generations or Forces. I love Green Hill zone just as any other Sonic fan, but this is the fourth game in a row where it has been plastered into a game. Re-utilizing stages from previous games isn't inherently an idea that can't work. Why not bring back zones such as oil ocean, dragon road, or hydrocity? Although a letdown, cyberspace doesn't take too much of game time compared to open-zone gameplay. The game is also brought down by the lackluster 2D platforming sections, which are especially prevalent on island three. The final island pulls the same design as the first, making it feel like an extension of the first rather than a unique and distinct zone. It's a shame because the last 2 islands felt rushed, leaving a bad taste in me when finishing the game. While all of these flaws are disappointing, they necessarily don't ruin the game.

Overall, this game has a lot of positives to expand upon in future games. While I do believe this formula can work for Sonic's upcoming releases, it's still hard for me to feel optimistic about the future of our favorite blue hedgehog.
  7. Nov 11, 2022
    Gameplay loop is fun and addictive. Music is perfect for whatever the situation is. Controls are the best they've ever been. Combat is easy to pick up but still deeper than button mashing. Writing is well done and the characters relationships are developed well.

I was not expecting this Sonic game to be this good. The creators put a lot of heart and elbow grease into this game and it shows.
  8. Nov 9, 2022
    ITS IMPECCABLE!!! The BEST Sonic Game since Unleashed. Congratulations to Sega and Sonic Team. Keep it up and Let’s forge a New Frontier. (Don’t listen to de **** reviews, they don’t know what they’re talking about and just hating for the sake of hating)
  9. Nov 12, 2022
    By far the best sonic has been in a long time. The minor things they could improve only make me more exited to see where they take the series from here.
  10. Nov 9, 2022
    Sonic Frontiers is the best Sonic game in the entire franchise!

This game in it of itself is a masterpiece regardless of Sonic games! The open world is so fun to explore and you can run freely and platform at full speed and fight enemies, bosses and Titans, it's so fun! You can also combat and fight a lot of unique enemies and bosses, and unlock a lot of new combat moves and
    Sonic Frontiers is the best Sonic game in the entire franchise!

This game in it of itself is a masterpiece regardless of Sonic games!

You can also combat and fight a lot of unique enemies and bosses, and unlock a lot of new combat moves and skills, at the skill tree!

The music in this game is incredible and it's the best music in the entire franchise!

11. Nov 9, 2022
    Sonic frontiers is a masterpiece, also I’m first review which is nice but go play this game
  12. Nov 9, 2022
    Overall this is a very good Sonic game, the best since Unleashed and Generations, Sonic controls really good in the open zones, the DropDash is amazing ( The best feeling of being in control of the character of all the games in the franchise ) and it’s very satisfying upgrading Sonic stats, the combat is awesome, the exploration, and I love that the game let you change Sonic acceleration,Overall this is a very good Sonic game, the best since Unleashed and Generations, Sonic controls really good in the open zones, the DropDash is amazing ( The best feeling of being in control of the character of all the games in the franchise ) and it’s very satisfying upgrading Sonic stats, the combat is awesome, the exploration, and I love that the game let you change Sonic acceleration, turning speed, boost speed, and more, I love the customization in that way, the history of this game is really really good, Ian is the best, the only thing that I don’t like it’s the reused assets from cyberspace, Green Hill, Chemical Plant, and Sky Santuary, and the physics in the Cyberspace levels, I’m loving this new generation of Sonic games!

And the Super Sonic battles, uff, Sonic is officially back! 9/10
  13. Nov 9, 2022
    Such a great game, with little issues here and there that keep it from being perfect.
    But 90% of what it does is good and I think it adds some very welcome additions to the franchise
  14. Nov 9, 2022
    Best game of the year!!!!!!

Sonic is Back!!!!

one of the best games out there this year full of fun and action accompanied by an excellent soundtrack. Do you also notice that some supposed ""experts"" gave it a 20 and that is supposed to be a professional critic?
  15. Nov 11, 2022
    Best Sonic since 15 years. Is really fun (the most important aspect in videogames)
  16. Nov 9, 2022
    Sonic is now great again! This game looks meh but it's really fun to play and Sonic for the first is truly gigachad seriously in this game he is so powerfull
  17. Nov 9, 2022
    THIS IS THE BEST SONIC GAME IN SONIC SERIES!! The open world design is far great! And bosses is pretty good! And cyberspace...is not that bad but it's fun as hell if you speedrun! And this is my top 5! 10/10
  18. Nov 9, 2022
    Esse jogo abre um imenso potencial para a franquia do ouriço azul se você tiver vendo essa "review" saiba que esse jogo pode ser muito divertido para você.
  19. Nov 9, 2022
    Games really good metacritc scores are biased especially ign. Probably the best sonic game
  20. Nov 10, 2022
    Best game story gameplay evrything there many different challenges i thought the island is empty but its not my review buy the game !!!
  21. Nov 9, 2022
    It is something very innovative and fresh for the new game of our favorite hedgehog, without a doubt it is a delivery that is worth playing and enjoying to the fullest! ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ
  22. Nov 9, 2022
    It's definitely not GREAT, but the most problematic stuff is just "technical jank", the gameplay itself is incredibly solid, albeit a little unpolished.
  23. Nov 10, 2022
    An absolutely awesome game, by far surpassing anything that Sonic Team has created since Sonic Unleashed.
  24. Nov 9, 2022
    A mediocre game with interesting purposes, but it fails during execution. A lot of flaws of collisions, terrible physics and soulless environment. Cyber levels are short, very linear and repeating the assets of Sonic Generations and Forces. The positive point goes to the Original Soundtrack (maybe the major point). If you like generic Open World game and avoiding this is a Sonic game, youA mediocre game with interesting purposes, but it fails during execution. A lot of flaws of collisions, terrible physics and soulless environment. Cyber levels are short, very linear and repeating the assets of Sonic Generations and Forces. The positive point goes to the Original Soundtrack (maybe the major point). If you like generic Open World game and avoiding this is a Sonic game, you can love this, but if you're a root fan and understand the essence, avoid this, it's another test of laboratory using the franchise. Expand
  25. Nov 11, 2022
    Poco atrapante y careciente se encaanto, un mundo abierto con un apartado artístico muy genérico
  26. Dec 20, 2022
    This was a massive surprise to me, as I had only ever dreamed about a game like this when I was reaching adolescence. To call this the perfect Sonic game would be a bit hyperbolic, however what we have here is the perfect foundation for what could later be the perfect Sonic game.

The Good. The standard Sonic fare, which are called the Cyberspace stages, are short, sweet, to the

The Good.

The standard Sonic fare, which are called the Cyberspace stages, are short, sweet, to the point, and well constructed. Even the dreaded 1-2 is an impeccable ride of speed and obstacles. Getting an S in that is no joke. Very well paced, extremely trimmed with little filler, and just enough style and pop in the presentation to make each stage feel like a spectacle, rather than just look like one.

The more experimental Sonic style and open world zones, which we've seen ever since his Dreamcast debut, while rougher around the edges than it could be, manages to have a mirror polish to go with the size and freedom of exploration that was attempted (and failed) in 06. Fighting, while not nearly as deep mechanically as other extreme action games, still have a sense of creativity in the flow of combat that makes fights as exciting as they are fast. Exploring (especially while running) is exceptionally fun and diverse, with all the Sonic staple obstacles and devices littered about to let you get around faster/more stylishly, and the little mini games and things to do add a little extra spice where it's needed.

Characters sound great, sound effects have the right amount of impact during gameplay, and the story and acting is pretty decent (for a Sonic game), but the absolute gem in the sound department has to be the music. Sonic games always had a great music (even in the bad games), but the tracks used in this game, from ambient music in the open zones to the thumping beats of the Cyberspace runs right to to the heavy action tracks when facing massive foes, really shine brilliantly and stand out quite a bit, even against other brilliant Sonic OSTs.

Also, can we appreciate how damn beautiful a lot of the environments and backdrops look? I mean, Sega has a habit of making the crispest looking skies (hearkening back to how eye-popping their arcade games always looked), but the actual scenery that you get to run around in looks jaw-dropping (most of the time).

Oh, and a fully customizable HUD. More games need that option. And this game can let you customize Sonic's own movement speed options. Absolutely brilliant idea.

Even on the PS4, loading times are pretty decent outside transitioning between Open Zone and Cyberspace. Replaying a run post score screen or re-starting a run upon making a mistake is near instant, allowing for run retries as quickly and unintrusively as possible. Oh, and an optional Training session during longer loading times allows for some quick practice with Sonic's movepool before jumping back into the game.

The Not-So-Good.

Sometimes certain enemies (like the wheel/top robots) are a bit too hard to read, physics objects have a habit of "scatmanning" or glitching out for a second before settling, or even fall at half the framerate of the rest of the game, and the pop-in can be a little bit intrusive when you're paying attention to the scenery.

Transitioning between Open Zone and Cyberspace stages (and vice versa) can take a bit longer than wanted, but the optional Training mode in between the transitional loading can help alleviate that a little.

Framerate is capped at 30, with no way to swap between performance mode or visual mode. I've heard this isn't an issue on the PS5 (which is capped at 60), so it could just be a hardware limitation.

Conclusion.

Sonic Frontiers was a welcome pace change and absolute shocker, despite my trepidation as an old Sonic fan, and has (along with the movies) reignited my love for this silly blue rodent and his friends and enemies. I look forward to the planned updates for this game, and the future of the Sonic franchise as it finally (and hopefully for good this time) escapes it's 3D curse it has had post Heroes.
  27. Nov 21, 2022
    Wow...
    So, uh... this game is Amazin'?

I did not expect to love this as much as I did, and this is comin' from someone that Loved Sonic Forces!
    But this game is just on another level!
    Everythin', the Story, the OST, the Cutscenes, the Gameplay, The Bosses... there wasn't a single thing I disliked 'bout this one, and I'm still in awe on how much this made me feel good!

28. Nov 14, 2022
    An extremely fun game with a deeply addicting gameplay loop, an open world that is a joy to explore, a well-written story with charming and compelling character moments, and no shortage of style and coolth. There's certain bits of jank, certain things that maybe shouldn't be there (2D Cyberspace stages), and certain places with obvious cut content. None of that causes any real damage toAn extremely fun game with a deeply addicting gameplay loop, an open world that is a joy to explore, a well-written story with charming and compelling character moments, and no shortage of style and coolth. There's certain bits of jank, certain things that maybe shouldn't be there (2D Cyberspace stages), and certain places with obvious cut content. None of that causes any real damage to the experience except the 2D stages. I can think of some definite ways it could have been better, so it doesn't get a ten, but I loved it to absolute death, so it gets a nine. Expand
  29. Nov 10, 2022
    Best Sonic game ever, since Unleashed!
    Great story and so much fun, a lot of things to do
    Sega finally find the way to the modern Sonic games.
  30. Nov 14, 2022
    Desideravo da quando ho 6 anni questo gioco, quando ero piccolo mi innamorai della saga grazie a Sonic Advance per Gameboy sp e Sonic Heroes per la prima Xbox, la critica non ci ha mai capito nulla, Sonic è il gioco più figo e più divertente al mondo
  31. Nov 17, 2022
    After the battle using super Sonic my score is 10/10.
    The gameplay and the game loop is so damn good that I have to change my previous review (below)
    My previous review (it was an 8/10): Overall is a great and enjoyable game, but there are some problems: - Graphic is not good, it looks like a PS3 game - The frame rate drops really often - Lights and shadows are not well balanced
    After the battle using super Sonic my score is 10/10.

My previous review (it was an 8/10):
    Overall is a great and enjoyable game, but there are some problems:
    - Graphic is not good, it looks like a PS3 game
    - The frame rate drops really often
    - Lights and shadows are not well balanced (and the night is too dark)
    - Regular levels are very aseptic
    I don't know if the PS5 version is better but, apart those problems, I'm liking the game.
    I still prefer a game like Sonic Generations though.
  32. Nov 21, 2022
    Primero quiero empezar por lo bueno y lo gano mi calificación: El jugo es muy bonito en su escenario también veo que la jugabilidad es muy buena, su historia es atrapante y conmovedora, en verdad uno de los mejores Sonic en 3D de la historia.
    Ahora lo malo: El juego tiene mucho poping lo que es muy incomodo al momento de jugar, también necesitan pulir un poco las fisicas del juego porque sonic cuando corre hay veces que sale volando y no vuelve a bajar.
  33. Dec 19, 2022
    best sonic game
    ian flynn is the best human being in the world, we don't need a sonic adventure 3, THIS IS SA3
  34. Nov 11, 2022
    El juegos, es muy bueno, la versión de ps5 es superior, pero me encanta la personalidad de sonic
  35. Dec 1, 2022
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. sonic frontiers ea primeira tentativa da sega de criar um jogo mundo aberto e para uma primeira tentativa ficou quase perfeito muito divertido musicas incriveis e historia boa o que ele peca sao alguns bugs de animaçao e pop in acontecendo eo ultimo chefe ser uma batalha de nave eos graficos sao ok mais de resto perfeito Expand
  36. Nov 26, 2022
    Sonic Frontiers has got to be one of the best Sonic games I have ever played. It's currently in my top 5 between Unleashed and Heroes. Where do I even start? The open zone gameplay feels really nice to play with the gameplay loop of traversing the world, fight enemies and mini bosses to get portal gears in order to go to cyberspace to get vault keys in order to get the chaos emerald. TheSonic Frontiers has got to be one of the best Sonic games I have ever played. It's currently in my top 5 between Unleashed and Heroes. Where do I even start? The open zone gameplay feels really nice to play with the gameplay loop of traversing the world, fight enemies and mini bosses to get portal gears in order to go to cyberspace to get vault keys in order to get the chaos emerald. The structure works really well that I can't really describe it properly. If you are a fan of collectathons then you will love this. For the story, you collect memory tokons in order to talk to the character who is trapped within cyberspace on each island. The dialogue has gotta be the best in the series since Black Knight and I enjoyed the call backs to previous games in order to feel like everything is connected and takes place within Sonic's world. The boss fights with Super Sonic also one of the best, if not, the best boss fights in the franchise. Being able to use the combat for Super Sonic while fighting these Evangelion type mechs with metalcore music playing sounds so good man. Another thing I forgot to mention is the cyberspace levels. When I first played them, I thought they were alright but as time went on, I really like them. The controls are solid, music banging, and the tech like magnet dashing makes these levels amazing to speedrun and to beat your time in. Gotta say the biggest highlight of this game gotta be its music. Top 5 Sonic soundtrack in my book. I love everything from the somber, melancholic tone of the open zone music, to the EDM of cyberspace, to the metalcore of the titan boss fights, and to the orchestra of BGM when watching cutscenes. I could go on for hours on why I love this game but I do have some gripes like the pop in, Sonic feels like he's glued to the terrian (power boost skips using tricks makes up for it alongside rail jumping), Technical issues alongside a little jank but it won't affect the gameplay that much if at all, and the true final boss being a little underwhelming (even tho I still enjoyed it) Overall this game is definetly worth picking up. It's even on sale the time I am typing this so pick it up. Score: 8.5/10 but I'll give it a 9 since metacritic doesn't do decimals. Expand
  37. Nov 30, 2022
    I have to say this game is amazing, it's finally fun to play a sonic game!!
    The music is on point, the graphics are good, the story is great, the gameplay is perfect, and I love the new controls.
    I have to say this game is amazing, it's finally fun to play a sonic game!!
    The open world aspect is really great too, lots and lots of fun. I put about 35 hours in and got platinum. I have to say it was fun all the way and I really hope future sonic games continue in this direction. Overall I would highly recommend it to new and old sonic fans.
  38. Nov 14, 2022
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sonic Frontiers is a rellay good presentation for a promising future for the franchise.
    The gameplay, music, bosses and open world design are great, and the plot is the most interesting one since Sonic Unleashed, and also the estetic of the open zones remembered me playing Sonic Adventure and Unleashed.
    It lacks on the final boss, which is dissapointing, and sometimes upgrading the habilities tends to be really easy when you find out that big the cat and the cyloop give you skill points. And sometimes the cyberspce phisics tends to be weird to control, but you can get used to.
    In general is a really good game, one of the best 3D games, but far from perfect.
  39. Nov 10, 2022
    Absolutely amazing game I never had this much fun with a Sonic game in decades
  40. Jan 29, 2023
    403 abridged version:

A decent game and a better Sonic than Forces. It looks alright and it's story isn't too intricate but it's Sonic so I don't expect much in this department. Didn't notice much music most of the time but not sure if this was a good or bad thing. Daddy Egghead was a nice change in pace. Annoying was that I often got locked into side view areas when I was just
    403 abridged version:

Annoying was that I often got locked into side view areas when I was just exploring and the controls weren't always as good as I wanted them to be. They also should have had a checkpoint for bosses to where Super Sonic Phase starts because it's annoying to do it all over again after failing QTEs towards the end. That it only had 4 Zone environments was disappointing. Also thankfully the fishing was a simple and an easy way to level up with the Egg Memos for more flavor.

Overall a nice game with some flaws and I want to believe they can do MUCH better and just dipped their toes in open world Sonic with this "prototype" and do much better with the next game (hopefully a proper Adventures 3).
  41. Jan 2, 2023
    Man where do I Start man. I had so much fun playing this game never knew running around with sonic was so much fun. The super sonic boss fights are the highlights of the game.
  42. Jan 21, 2023
    everything in this game is just boring the open zone is empty the cyberspace levels is just a bad copy of earlier games the combat is very bad you can just spam one move and you will win easily even if it's in a hard difficulity
  43. Nov 9, 2022
    This game is simply amazing. I never had this much fun with a sonic game since unleashed 14 years ago. This is the best 3d sonic game ever. The combat is fun, the world is beautiful and the exploration never felt boring. The bosses are the best in the series. The music is top notch. The story reminds me of the 2000's a lot (in a good way) and the dialogue and characterization are perfect.This game is simply amazing. I never had this much fun with a sonic game since unleashed 14 years ago. This is the best 3d sonic game ever. The combat is fun, the world is beautiful and the exploration never felt boring. The bosses are the best in the series. The music is top notch. The story reminds me of the 2000's a lot (in a good way) and the dialogue and characterization are perfect. I cannot thank sonic team enough for making me feel like a kid again. Thank you Expand
  44. Nov 16, 2022
    Sonic Frontiers is a great game. Really love it! The story is great, the characters, the Music. Everything!! I don't like they used just 4 Themes and Green Hill Zone you know, we saw thouse like a million times. And the Secret Final Boss was....alright..
    But I think its still a great game!
  45. Nov 10, 2022
    That game was simply amazing,the story and characters were more characterized than the 2010s,the tone was very good too and the ending was actually neat.

The cyberapace and pop-ins however.
  46. Nov 10, 2022
    ENGLISH
    GOOD THINGS
    -Sonic acts as he should but without losing his personality, in every sentence (unless the moment is of extreme tension) has his little joke that finally are no longer as they were in forces. but also has that serious touch and concern. -The gameplay couldn't be better, sonic in the platforming moments is no longer as slippery as in previous installments and it
    ENGLISH
    GOOD THINGS

-The gameplay couldn't be better, sonic in the platforming moments is no longer as slippery as in previous installments and it feels really good, the combat is entertaining and I like how it evolves becoming complex little by little.

-Level design, the open world design is entertaining and effective. Personally the world seems to me a mixture of the one of zelda botw but adapted to sonic and elements of the saga.

-Story: I haven't finished it but I can tell you that when the moment is serious the characters act according to their personality and not according to the personality of a clown like in forces for example.

BAD POINTS
    -Popping is present and noticeable, not as much as in the trailers but it's there even with the graphics at MAX. This could be solved with an option to adjust the draw distance.
  47. Nov 25, 2022
    Sonic Frontiers is far from perfect, however, it is still a good game. The physics are kind of bad, and the open world can get ripetitive in terms of visuals, but those are the only issues I actually have with the game. The combat is polished, the game is generally fun, and it is original.
  48. Nov 10, 2022
    Sonic Frontiers is definitely the best game in the series, both in terms of plot and gameplay. The soundtrack is amazing.
    The wait was totally worth it, I look forward to the next proposal from Sonic Team, I really want to know how they continue the story with the new direction they gave it.
    In my opinion, the game is a 10 out of 10.
  49. Nov 10, 2022
    The game is fun and the open world has many activities combat is solid story is good titan bosses very good and fun and soundtrack is awesome and there are a lot of improvments overall very good and fun sonic game
  50. Nov 10, 2022
    Sonic is finally back and God does it feel good to say that. Boss fights? Peak. Story? Peak. Music? Peak. Gameplay loop? Peak. Cyberspace? Surprisingly fun!
  51. Nov 10, 2022
    This game is a huge step in the right direction for the franchise. The Open Zone is really fun to run around in. The controls in the Open Zone feel great and are customizable. Cyberspace is lackluster, with fixed physics that don't feel great and entirely reused level design. Some of the levels they chose to rip were odd considering the vast amount of content they had to choose. Combat isThis game is a huge step in the right direction for the franchise. The Open Zone is really fun to run around in. The controls in the Open Zone feel great and are customizable. Cyberspace is lackluster, with fixed physics that don't feel great and entirely reused level design. Some of the levels they chose to rip were odd considering the vast amount of content they had to choose. Combat is really simple, but enjoyable. The music is fantastic. The story is decent with good dialogue for the first time in years. Overall, it's a pretty good game with some jank here and there, would recommend. Expand
  52. Nov 10, 2022
    This is one of, if not the best Sonic game out there. Everything about this game was amazing. From the exciting gameplay to the compelling story. This marks the beginning of a new Era for Sonic. Just like it's title and signature song, "we've entered a new frontier!"
  53. Nov 11, 2022
    It's been a while since I enjoy a Sonic Game like this way, I just hope a more Sonic Adventure feeling, cuz it was really close, fun to explore, and the bosses are so epic.

Maybe not a perfect Game, but this is the direction Sonic needs to keep on running.
  54. Nov 11, 2022
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Me encanto los primeros minutos del juego, las nuevas mecánicas y sus gráficos decentes son disfrutables Expand
  55. Nov 12, 2022
    Amazing game. Boss fights are the best part of the game by far. The soundtrack is amazing too
  56. Nov 13, 2022
    What a game! One if not my favorite sonic game of all time. Had a blast with it.
  57. Nov 15, 2022
    nice game but i wish the elder koco the worst, that menu was absolutely horrible
  58. Nov 14, 2022
    This game is good at its own way so suck it Dunkey'Fans, you are all clowns
  59. Nov 14, 2022
    The game is not without 3D Sonic's usual flaws (minor bugs in camera and control) but it is a very good attempt at that. It is fresh and fun. Each map is immensely vast. And if you loved Sonic Adventure, you'll love Frontiers even more. Frame stutter is not a problem on PS4 Pro.
  60. Nov 15, 2022
    Sonic Frontiers is by no means a perfect game. It has severe pop-in issues, and terrain collision detection can be a bit wonky. It is also the most fun I've had playing a new Sonic game in over a decade.
    While previous titles have tried to play it safe and simply stick to the Sonic Unleashed boost style, often falling short and winding up removing certain aspects of the formula that made it work, Frontiers revitalizes it by tightening up Sonic's controls to allow for more fluid and responsive movement. Whereas previous boost games have described controlling Sonic as similar to driving a car, Frontiers gives the player not only full turning control, allowing for tighter curves, but also includes sensitivity settings in its pause menu, giving the player the ability to customize how Sonic's controls feel directly. That said, this only applies to the "open-zone" sections. The cyberspace levels are, in my opinion, worse in quality than even Sonic Forces. However, the cyberspace levels are also a negligible portion of the game. Most of your time will be spent in the overworld, where Sonic's new move set really shines.
    The combat can take a little getting used to, but I very much enjoyed it. Sonic now has a skill tree that gives him several new abilities, and while it is very easy to spam some of them for an easy fight, it's much more fun to switch it up. My one complaint is that each skill is only purchased once through skill points, and once you have them all, there's nothing else to really do with them. I wound up ending my first run with well over 100 skill points that I couldn't use for anything. For future titles, I feel like a way to upgrade your moves would be a welcome addition. The game also allows the player to upgrade Sonic's top speed, his ring count, his attack, and his defense through finding collectibles hidden throughout the world. I'd also like to see in future games a way to upgrade his base kit, for example, making his boost able to plow through enemies like it could in Unleashed, or making his stomp attack's area of effect larger.
    The story is the best we've had in years, bringing life and personality to characters who since Colors have had the charm of a piece of cardboard. Ian Flynn masterfully expands on and course-corrects some of the most infamous moments of the past decade and uses them to build up the characters as opposed to tearing them down.
    Frontiers' bugs are present, but negligible in most normal runs. In the two runs of the game I've done, I've run into maybe one bug that clipped Sonic through the ground. Basically, you're unlikely to run into any serious issues unless you specifically go looking for them. The graphical pop-in can be atrocious though, I won't deny that.
    In my opinion, Sonic Frontiers is a definite step in the right direction, and sits in my ranking as a 9, an 8.5 at worst.
  61. Nov 14, 2022
    This game is so much fun, it's gotta be one of the best Sonic games ever made. Right up there with Mania, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, and Sonic Rush!

The traversal is fun, the combat is great, the soundtrack once again is amazing, and the character dialog is top notch. And finally, the boss fights are fun, made even better by the amazing music, you can feel the anime influence. Honestly give

Honestly give the game a try! It's so much fun. The only reason I'm not giving it a ten, is because of one mandatory mini games that gave me so much trouble, I had to take a break from the game. Other than that, this game is great and hopefully this means that Sonic is on the up and up. They are going in a good direction.
  62. Nov 14, 2022
    The game is amazing. The boss fights are phenomenal and make you feel like god and the gameplay cycle while terrible on paper is incredibly fun.
  63. Nov 14, 2022
    so...sonic frontiers..right? I've been in love with sonic games since I was a child...THIS GAME IS LIKE A DREAM CAME TRUE TO ME.
  64. Nov 15, 2022
    Best 3D Sonic game ever period. Best story, best gameplay, best music, best boost controls, best combat and skill tree, best writing and portrayals and voice acting, the list goes on. 11/10. the game even fixes boost where you can control it and no longer need drifting. open zone is amazing. The combat is amazing, especially as super sonic. Titans are metal gear rising levels of epic bothBest 3D Sonic game ever period. Best story, best gameplay, best music, best boost controls, best combat and skill tree, best writing and portrayals and voice acting, the list goes on. 11/10. the game even fixes boost where you can control it and no longer need drifting. open zone is amazing. The combat is amazing, especially as super sonic. Titans are metal gear rising levels of epic both with the music and battles. Some of the speed strats in cyber space stages now are insane. and Sonic is the fastest he's ever been and you can rank up his speed to 99 and even apply a power boost and infinite boost to it with 400 rings and drawing an infinity symbol, gotta go fast. it even has franchise continuity with all past games and characters referenced. Play this game. Expand
  65. Nov 16, 2022
    Sonic Frontiers is the best Sonic game in the entire franchise! This game in it of itself is a masterpiece regardless of Sonic games! The open world is so fun to explore and you can run freely and platform at full speed and fight enemies, bosses and Titans, it's so fun! You can also combat and fight a lot of unique enemies and bosses, and unlock alot of new combat moves and skills at theSonic Frontiers is the best Sonic game in the entire franchise! This game in it of itself is a masterpiece regardless of Sonic games! The open world is so fun to explore and you can run freely and platform at full speed and fight enemies, bosses and Titans, it's so fun! You can also combat and fight a lot of unique enemies and bosses, and unlock alot of new combat moves and skills at the skill tree! You can also upgrade Sonic, you can upgrade his strength, speed, ring capacity and defense! The story is the best out of the whole franchise, and the voice acting is very good, Roger Craig Smith did an amazing job as the voice of Sonic! The music in this game is incredible and it's the best music in the entire series! The Super Sonic fights against the Titans were amazing and some of the best fights in a video game! Thank you Takashi Izuka and ESPECIALLY Morio Kishimoto who created this MASTERPEICE!
  66. Nov 16, 2022
    wow...this game is like a dream that came true..for every sonic fan W sonic.
  67. Nov 17, 2022
  68. Nov 17, 2022
  69. Nov 18, 2022
  70. Nov 19, 2022
  71. Nov 23, 2022
  72. Nov 27, 2022
    A really good Sonic game. We have been waiting very long for a Sonic game this good. Sonic fans can really be satisfied with this game. I really hope Sonic can continue being this Great. There are some thing that are lackning and are not Great, but I think thoses things will be fixed later.
  73. Nov 30, 2022
  74. Dec 2, 2022
    pretty goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood
  75. Dec 6, 2022
  76. Dec 4, 2022
    Das Spiel hat hier und dort einpar Probleme aber im großen Ganzen hat Sega den richtigen Weg eingeschlagen.
  77. Dec 7, 2022
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is a great game has drop dash, homing attack and light speed dash. It develops the characters well, not running too far from the character and without leaving them too caricatured and it has a great story and the father-daughter relationship between eggman and sage is good. Expand
  78. Dec 8, 2022
    After i don't known many years Sega released a good Sonic Game, if not the best 3D Sonic Game in the series. Is problably the First Sonic Game that he maneged to amuse me since Sonic Adventure thanks to his funny gameplay and to his combat system, despite it can become repetitive.
  79. Dec 9, 2022
    Coming into this unbiased as i'm not a sonic fan, I was genuinely shocked. THIS is what people call a mid game online? This is one of the best open world games i've ever played. It's simple and has it's flaws (personally though it was a 9/10, only rating 10/10 to raise the average lol), but the combat, story, music, bosses, all amazing, the open world is just so fun to run around, and theComing into this unbiased as i'm not a sonic fan, I was genuinely shocked. THIS is what people call a mid game online? This is one of the best open world games i've ever played. It's simple and has it's flaws (personally though it was a 9/10, only rating 10/10 to raise the average lol), but the combat, story, music, bosses, all amazing, the open world is just so fun to run around, and the flaws, like the popin and ending, are kinda nitpicky. Great game that I can't help but highly recommend to everyone. Expand
  80. Dec 22, 2022
    THIS IS LITERALLY THE BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED! I was always sure this would work out, and it did! Sonic Frontiers is literally my favorite game in general. Not because I'm biased, but because of how AMAZING IT IS! DON'T LISTEN TO THE CRITICS! BUY THIS GAME NOW!
  81. Dec 23, 2022
    The best Sonic game in decades! The open zone is really great designed and every island has it‘s own individuality. I really loved to play this game 30 hours with such a great story. Not like the usual stories without any big plots. This story was deep and was so good written with many plot twists and great character development. Really really great!
  82. Dec 25, 2022
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After getting the platinum trophy in this game, Sonic the Hedgehog is in a New Era. This game is a great step up from the hot Garbage that is Forces. The PS4 version is great and I never ran into any major game breaking bugs. The Open World gameplay is a nice change of pace, there's only one playable character which keeps things simple, the Graphics are great and the Combat is decent. This game also uses a level up gimmick which includes Strength, Defence, Speed and Ring capacity. The bronze trophies for Strength and Defence were easy but for Speed and Rings is hellish. It takes about 20 minutes to fully max out either. But overall the game is amazing. The Music is Fantastic rivaling crush 40, Super Sonic boss fights are awesome and side stories are a nice touch. But this isn't without the games downsides. The Cyberspace levels control differently to the main gameplay. In 3D sections, turning is kind of stiff and I most of the time run into walls. 2D sections feel rushed (this apply to islands) and go kinda slow. Red star Rings are just hidden right in the open instead of being hidden making them not a challange. But they are pretty short and retrying is nice and snappy so I didn't mind them. In 2D sections, (again) loops sometimes do not work and I would sometimes have to restart a whole section to correct the bug. And the final boss is a space shooter... why? But overall I really enjoyed the game. My Favrouite island was probaly Chaos island and others Islands, I like them to. In conclusion this a great step in the right direction for the Sonic series and I recommend this game for new players and old veterans. Expand
  83. Jan 1, 2023
    This is a hollow shell of a game. Haphazardly copy-pasted assets all over the place, an incredibly poor render distance, shallow mechanics without any depth, and the weakest soundtrack of the series. Sonic Frontiers ultimately fails to utilize the open world tropes it emulates in any meaningful way and as a whole feels unfinished.
  84. Jan 2, 2023
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is goes hard the soundtrack goes hard like undefeated and I'm here and vandalize (by One Ok Rock + the original vandalize music had bad words in it on the original version not the sonic frontiers one) and the finding out Eggman has a daughter that is sage go buy the game if you like open-world games on the ps4 Expand
  85. 3GJ
    Jan 7, 2023
    Really fun and detailed adventure for Sonic and co. Reminds me of how fun the SA1 and SA2 were to play through.
  86. Jan 10, 2023
    This game is amazing. It is also hard. Very, very hard.

The difficulty of this game is not inherent. Inherently, the system is easy to learn, difficult to master, and extremely fun. No, the difficulty of this game is in how many people have already gotten a head start on you on the mastering part, and how few resources (guides, tutorials, and the like) there are to help you catch up to them.
  87. Jan 18, 2023
    A really good sonic game since sonic generations and the competes among the best stories in sonic games like adventure 2 and unleashed.I am surprised that sonic team pulled that off.The future of sonic games looks bright cant wait!
  88. Jan 26, 2023
    I really enjoyed this game. Good graphics, great soundtrack and fantastic story. If you wanna great 3D Sonic game, there you go.
  89. Jan 27, 2023
    El mejor Sonic en años, muy divertido. Me gustó mucho su nuevo estilo se ve muy vivo y más serio
  90. Feb 3, 2023
    Gioco bellissimo, grafica ottimale e animazioni fantastiche! Storia molto bella e il gameplay molto coinvolgente

Generally favorable reviews - based on 5 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 21, 2022
    Sonic Frontiers is both the best and the worst entry to the series. Romping around the open environments is great, the bosses are among the best Sonic has ever met, and the soundtrack is once again full of bangers. It’s a shame that every step of the way you can see that the development was rushed, which resulted in an incredibly rough gameplay and made my experience sad and painful.
  2. Nov 28, 2022
    Sonic Frontiers has definitely brought back hope for the franchise with this new format. Between the smooth experience in the Open-Zone, cool combat (especially titan bosses) and an enjoyable quality of story writing. There are however still some polish to be done around the display of obstacles and platforms. And by far the least appreciable aspect is Cyber Space, both in its lack of originality and control which robs the game of a much higher rating.
  3. Nov 22, 2022
    Fans were worried, but in the end, it's a fun Sonic, as it should be. Although not so traditional. After a long time, it is an excellent, visually very nice, but mainly fun Sonic game.