6.4

1. Jul 26, 2015
    I want to give this a solid 8, but inconsistecy in the gameplay design makes it a 7, tops. You play the wonderful goblin that brings a few really nice gameplay elements to the table, with the use of amber. Long loading times and few checkpoints throughout the levels makes dying quite frustrating, since its sometimes is a bit unclear what path or action is intended in each situation.I want to give this a solid 8, but inconsistecy in the gameplay design makes it a 7, tops. You play the wonderful goblin that brings a few really nice gameplay elements to the table, with the use of amber. Long loading times and few checkpoints throughout the levels makes dying quite frustrating, since its sometimes is a bit unclear what path or action is intended in each situation. Enemies has to be approached in the "correct" manner in order for the option "kill" to appear. This results in that you at times is standing right next to your foe, without the option to kill, or any other option than to expose yourself and enter "combat", that often leads to your demise. Well even so, it is a quite nice game, free for playstation plus members. Expand
  2. Jul 16, 2015
    This game has the stealth/thief gameplay of thief, mixed with the charm and humor of sly cooper. How could that go wrong? not in many places. I very much enjoy the stealth, and your choice to take different routes, some less risky, some shorter. There is also a variety of different stealth mechanics, such as throwing knives, extinguishing torches, etc. It's "Amber powers" are also fairlyThis game has the stealth/thief gameplay of thief, mixed with the charm and humor of sly cooper. How could that go wrong? not in many places. I very much enjoy the stealth, and your choice to take different routes, some less risky, some shorter. There is also a variety of different stealth mechanics, such as throwing knives, extinguishing torches, etc. It's "Amber powers" are also fairly enjoyable as well, and found myself using the abilities, such as creating a clone or turning invisible for a brief period of time, to get myself out of many situations. The combat is stodgy, as with most stealth games. But that's not really something to complain about, as you want to avoid combat encounters. But the one thing that nearly killed the game for me, is that is the game was frustratingly, controller-smashingly hard. (At least for me anyways.) The areas are very stingy on health, and after getting through a zone or two, you'll be begging for some guards to have a vial in their pockets. The auto saving is the biggest offender of this difficulty. If you get to an auto save with a snickers fun size of health left, you are screwed on all fronts, and might as well restart the zone/mission. Other than this though, I still found the game fairly enjoyable. 7/10 Expand
  3. Sep 13, 2015
    After spending 6 and more hours on the game I wanted to write a review because current score here really is not fair to this game. The game has a great story, a great, intuitive and easy to use controls and graphics is pretty good. Only thing that developers should've fixed a long time ago are texture glitches when moving camera in a new area and slow loading times. So I give the score ofAfter spending 6 and more hours on the game I wanted to write a review because current score here really is not fair to this game. The game has a great story, a great, intuitive and easy to use controls and graphics is pretty good. Only thing that developers should've fixed a long time ago are texture glitches when moving camera in a new area and slow loading times. So I give the score of 9 because this isn't fixed since release.

Anyway, the game is refreshing and worth addition to the genre.

Negative reviews are silly giving the score of 0 just because they don't like some minor issues.
  4. Aug 16, 2016
    Styx: Master of Shadows is a stealth video game developed by Cyanide, and published by Focus Home Interactive.

- Repetitive Scenarios
  5. Mar 8, 2019
    Styx: Master of Shadows is a 2014 stealth video game developed by Cyanide Studios and published by Focus Home Interactive.

+ Good Level Design
    - Meh Story
    - Bad Textures
    - Platforming Sections Sometimes Fail

My Score: 6.5/10
  6. Oct 10, 2014
    This is wierd. Not in the sense that the game is wierd by any means, but simply why is this game racked down by critics? The primary concern when I bought this game, was of the abysmal controls which a lot of reviewers mentioned. But after having played the game and tested it, my conclusion is VERY different.

I have had ZERO issues with controls. Infact, everything is explained in the

I have had ZERO issues with controls. Infact, everything is explained in the tutorial, that in order to drop down from a ledge, you have to walk slowly towards it. To Grab a ledge simply jump towards it, and if you´re close enough, styx automatically grabs it.

So here´s my honest review of why you should buy this game (at least on the PS4, which is the platform i bought it on).

Let´s break it down into Pros vs Cons.

Pros

+Good story
    +fantastic world/level design
    +Styx is an awesome character
    +Well done stealth mechanics
    +Price

Cons:

-Textures
    -models except Styx looks strange
    -Some animations are slight off
    -Voice acting not consistent

Styx has good story, some of the best level design you can get. Cool stealth mechanics, with lots of options regarding how you want to proceed. Do you want to sneak by. ghosting the entire level or do you murder every single enemy? I chose the latter, and I had so much bloody fun.

So I don´t know why this game scored to badly on the pc, maybe because of keyboard + mouse? But I can tell you, controller works like a charm every single time.
  7. Jan 2, 2015
    Just upped my rating from an 8 to a 9 having just completed the game. In a world where everything is released broken, where everything begs you for more money or patronisingly holds your hand through the whole game, this is a breath of fresh air.

Styx is a straight to basics stealth platformer, it gives you the tools, gives you some huge levels and lets you get to work. The Atrium is a brilliant setting, the graphical design is solid, the audio excellent. I won't say too much about the story but it was better than most - being a lower priced title most of it is told via static handrawn cut scenes. If you liked the original Tenchu games, you really can't go wrong with this one.

Only deducted a point for the technical side of things - sometimes there's texture pop-in which results in incorrect colours for a frame on a fast camera pan, and the loading between deaths (you will die a lot) is very slow. Other than that I didn't have any problems. Note that they do start recycling levels about half way through but the game is very long. Luckily the non linear nature of the levels stops this being a huge issue.
  8. Nov 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Styx: Master of Shadows is a 3rd person tactical stealth combat game which contains RPG elements. Developed by Cyanide Studios and available for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC as a digital download only title, the game world was created using the Unreal 3 engine.

Set in a medieval times world environment, the protagonist in the game is a goblin assassin who suffers from an identity crisis on a mission to steal the heart of the world tree. Cursed by a lifeblood (amber) substance which stems from the heart of the tree, the player struggles throughout the realm with a constant head splitting addiction to amber, while at the same time dealing with a continuous conflict between the world of humans, orcs, and elves.

The game uses a real time combat system which is very rudimentary. The gameplay combat system primarily consists of stealth, agility, cloning, amber vision, and kill abilities that are all tied into a skill points leveling system. Throughout the course of the game, the player acquires skill points during missions which can then be spent on special abilities at the player’s hideout for use during gameplay. The user interface consists of a semi-HUD that displays the characters life bar and amber meters, as well as an inventory indicator that allows the player to be able to cycle items for use during gameplay. There is also a tool-tip/pop-up button that helps direct the player’s actions during stealth mode and while in combat.

Action during gameplay is relatively slow paced as the game requires the player to plan out their tactics very strategically, otherwise death can ensue very quickly. The idea behind the amber skill in the game allows the player to use special abilities during gameplay which are essential to survival, such as the use of stealth mode to hide effectively while in the shadows and the deploying of clones to create distraction scenarios. Once the player gets the hang of navigation during the game, that’s when the character’s combat skills really come alive, especially with the use of amber in combination with precision tactics, like the covered, aerial, and hanging kill skills.

The in-game cut-scenes help drive the player’s actions forward during gameplay and the voice over acting is very solid as well. The levels in the game become somewhat monotonous however, because the player is forced to back-track through them several times during the game to access the hideout, which is the central hub for leveling in the game. The game is also a little lackluster at the end, as it lacks any real sort of final boss fight cathartic moment.

Overall the game is enjoyable to play, (especially when considering the playful dialogue and the random kill animations), however after completion, the game offers limited replay-ability. Outside of accomplishing secondary side quests to acquire relics and/or gather insignias (mainly for trophy/achievement unlocks), there isn’t much else to do in the world. On a scale of 1 to 100, I’d give this title a score of 7.5.
  9. May 31, 2016
    Cyanide is known for making poorly designed and implemented games, and they don't disappoint. This is a "hardcore" stealth game that expects you to do all of this stealthing perfectly, yet gives you none of the right tools or mechanics to do so. In this game if you get found out you usually die. This is because of some terribly implemented and designed combat. For some reason if someoneCyanide is known for making poorly designed and implemented games, and they don't disappoint. This is a "hardcore" stealth game that expects you to do all of this stealthing perfectly, yet gives you none of the right tools or mechanics to do so. In this game if you get found out you usually die. This is because of some terribly implemented and designed combat. For some reason if someone engages you in combat, you are drawn in like a tractor beam and must fight, and are unable to run away, which makes literally no sense. Then theres the actual combat. You can parry and roll. You must have multiple parries before you can attack the person. The parry system is horribly implemented and it is impossible to tell when to parry. If you dodge out of the way of an attack, like behind the guy, you aren't able to attack him even though you are behind and he has just missed an attack. Instead you must wait and just parry enough times to be able to kill him. Don't ask me why.

There has been a lot said about the levels. Yet they are big with multiple paths, but its usually just a facade. I would find myself going up and down, only to usually reach a dead end of a ledge that had nothing to jump onto or down to. Many things are not climbable, like ropes and chains that are hanging down. Jumping up wooden towers also isnt possible. The platforming is terrible. You will constantly die because you thought you could make a jump and cant. He jumps very rigidly and theres no flow to platforming. You cant even drop down to hanging on a ledge when standing on it. You have to instead run off it and hope he grabs on. You also can only jump up and down grips on walls if you look down or up and the triggerable action for jumping to that specific place is over the grip. Its not organic at all.

Then theres the stealth. It is super finicky, and has no rhyme or reason to it. I would sometimes be spotted in a completely dark area. You never know when you are in cover of darkness or not. I would be spotted from guys around corners or pillars that I couldn't see. Sometimes i would drop down off something 2 feet off ground and be heard from a guy, sometimes i wouldnt. Sometimes i would climb up object behind a guy and be heard, sometimes i wouldnt.

Then theres health. Theres basically none to be found in any of the levels, meaning if you get far and have none and get found out, you're screwed. Then theres the very well designed checkpoints, which are usually every 15-20 minutes and have no logic around them. Entering new areas or having the objective waypoint change when you reach an area doesn't trigger them, meaning you never know when they will occur. One well done level has you auto fail if you get detected at all. I killed an archer on a ledge with a silent kill and instead of letting him fall backwards, my guy basically pushes him off the ledge onto the ground below in an area populated by guys. They didn't see me as I was high up above them and in the cover of darkness, but nonetheless I instant failed the level. And even though I had passed multiple doors and areas, and had the waypoint change multiple times, I had to restart the entire 15-20 min level at the start. That is what this game is. It is about dying 90% due to the poorly designed stealth mechanics/platforming mechanics/level design and having to redo the 10-15 min part bc of the terrible checkpoint system. One of the most, if not THE most, poorly designed stealth games I have ever played. Another failure for Cyanide Studios.
    P.S. Graphics aren't bad and levels are big and vertical.
  10. Apr 2, 2016
    I played this game thanks to the PS+ subscription but I'll review it like if i bought it as is no longer available for free.

After the boring Of Orcs And Men Cyanide Studios decided to focus on what worked (the universe and the infiltration) to make a better game, did they succeed ? First technically the game is not worthy of PS4 but on the other side it wasn't sell at a full 70€/$ tag

First technically the game is not worthy of PS4 but on the other side it wasn't sell at a full 70€/$ tag price so I would not be too harsh on this point, but nothing will excuse some ragdoll bugs or even "game closing" errors. Clearly the studio could have done a better job.

Concerning the gameplay Styx: Master of Shadows is a true infiltration game, and a challenging one, all the infiltrations elements are well thought the maps offer a good verticality and a large variety of options to succeed, fighting is (almost) not an option, so if you like to wait for the right time to make your move and to plan all your actions this is a game for you, because if you don't you'll most likely fail and start over, by the way let me give you a piece of advise, think to save manually every time you succeed what you was aiming
    because if you're counting on the checkpoint you'll lose a lot of time.

The story is pretty good with a nice twist in the middle and the universe is definitely interesting and I still wish to know more . If you want to do all the secondary objectives you can expect the game to last 15 hours but they reused the maps a lot and the game lacks of original locations.

All in all Styx is a nice infiltration game but it lacks optimisation (technically but also in the game design) to make it a true reference for the genre. Advisable to infiltration lovers that will not judge the game for its low budget.
  11. Dec 1, 2015
    No doubt it's a stealth game, if you like action this is not your game.

I tried it for a few days and it didn't convince me. At least I ended enjoying the main character with his sarcastic comments, but even so it didn't gain me. The story seems repetitive, something that has already been seen many times, but this time you are the thief... Not very impressive graphics... I didn't
    No doubt it's a stealth game, if you like action this is not your game.

The story seems repetitive, something that has already been seen many times, but this time you are the thief... Not very impressive graphics... I didn't like the atmosphere either.

Still, if you enjoy playing on stealth and not create unnecessary battle, try it out, you'll like it.
  12. Aug 8, 2015
    i got styx for free with ps plus and i can tell you the game is a bit mediocre to be honest it looks like a really fun adventure game but it is actually quite boring and annoying

PROS
    - single player can be fun at times

CONS
    - really boring a lot of the times
    - can be annoying
    - boring adventure

overall: 4.1/10 :{ i really did not enjoy this game
  13. Dec 21, 2014
    I bought this game for 2 reasons.
    -1-I loved the video,I watched of it.
    And that led me here to METACRITIC to doublecheck.. Now enter reason #2 the SWEET reviewer who sold me on it.. --Guess what gamers= he was CORRECT!! The positives are all there and the negatives are strictly texture and graphics. -not story! Story was awesome! NOT controls, Play the tutorial. Took 5 mins!!!
    I bought this game for 2 reasons.
    -1-I loved the video,I watched of it.
    And that led me here to METACRITIC to doublecheck..
    Now enter reason #2 the SWEET reviewer who sold me on it..

--Guess what gamers= he was CORRECT!!
    -not story! Story was awesome!
    NOT controls, Play the tutorial. Took 5 mins!!!
    --stealth--WOW,,reminds me of the stealth-fun I had in Fallout &Fallout Vegas...

--start making reviews that will help gamers with actual facts and pros and cons..
    Good job sweets!!

--oh another con is the $20 price tag...and that's a sale price on ps4. Grr!!
    --this coulda been a retail game with a lil more polish...
  14. Oct 5, 2015
    Really surprised about all the negative reviews. Sure, this game has a bit of a learning curve in terms of the controls, but unless you are an ADD kid, it's not really a problem. Once you get the controls down, man, this has to be the best sneaking game since the original Thief.

Speaking of Thief, which is a completely natural comparison, it absolutely pales next to Styx. The maps are massive, you have multiple options on how to proceed, and what I really like is the trial and error similar to Dark Souls series. Screw up and you're dead. Enter long loading screen and a roll-back to, at worst, 20 minutes ago. It just gives you this additional level of dread, where you cannot screw up without consequences.

If I'd have to gripe about something, the dialogues, cutscenes and story overall are at best mediocre. The dialogue particularly just grinds my gears the wrong way.

Summa summarum: Like sneaking games? Don't mind a learning curve, just like in the good old days? Don't suffer from ADD or pre-pubescent angst? Good, this game is for you.
  15. May 1, 2016

- Repetitive Scenarios
  16. Nov 12, 2015
    I am surprised to see such a low rating. People, are we having a lot of good stealth-style games nowadays?

1. The plot is interesting: you play as goblin (Styx) who want to steal a relict from a castle full of guardians and there is a mystery behind this obsession with the relict. 2. Voices of all characters (and especially Styx) are superb. You can close you eyes, listen to the

2. Voices of all characters (and especially Styx) are superb. You can close you eyes, listen to the dialogues and you still will be assured that you are playing sneaky goblin thief.
    3. Every level's design provides you with numerous possibilities to reach your goal: you may chose different tracks, do a "no-kill walkthrough" or even "kill 'em all", complete secondary objective or not etc.
    4. For the stealth-style fans it's a pure heaven. You must think rationally how to use mana ("Amber") points, because you can't be invisible all the time. Throwing knifes are few so use them wisely. Set traps, hide bodies, stay in the dark or you'll be killed very quickly if there is more then one guard nearby.
    5. Some locations are an architect masterpiece (Atrium). It's really beautiful.

The cons are few:
    1. Long loading time. If you are dying a lot that may be annoying
    2. There could be more levels actually. It's not that interesting to run them twice as plot suggests. Lack of budget I guess..

If you like stealth games, you'll definitely like Styx. I heard there will be a sequel - will sure try it.
  17. May 22, 2016
    This game has nothing good to offer. Horrible stealth, terrible combat and a climbing mechanic that doesn't even work . The story is also very bad. There are plenty of indie and triple A games that have much better stealth than this game. Do yourself a favor and avoid this game.
  18. Jul 23, 2015
    it takes at least 1 minute to load the game everytime you die. so annoying. not playable. i dont recommend it for people who has no patience to wait a game just to teleport you to the last saved point.
  19. Jun 27, 2016
    Broken game. Climb, jump, cover is really annoying and does not work as it should. First level was somewhat fun, but as more you progress, less annoying it gets. Would not recommend it to anyone.
  20. Jan 16, 2017
    Styx repompe des mécaniques de furtivité déjà vues ici et là mais les applique très maladroitement ; il en est de même pour l'architecture des niveaux, décidément maladroite elle aussi et mal foutue, en plus de se répéter à l'infini. Pareil pour les graphismes grosso merdo "marrons" sans inspiration ni la moindre touche artistique.

Techniquement parlant, c'est bien moche pour un veux

Techniquement parlant, c'est bien moche pour un veux moteur Unreal. Pour ne rien arranger, les temps de chargement sont longs pour des niveaux aussi restreints (environ 36 secondes !). En vérité tout est à l'avenant dans Styx et rien ne fonctionne proprement ; prenons par exemple les combats au corps-à-corps d'un ridicule consternant ! à ce tarif-là, autant les supprimer. On a là un sous-Splinter, un ersatz de jeu bâclé dans tous les domaines.

Les voix ne sont qu'en anglais et l'univers, l'histoire, le personnage lui-même sont d'une pauvreté qui fait pitié. On ne cherche pas plus avant à perdre davantage de temps dans ce jeu programmé par des nains et des incapables qui n'ont absolument aucune idée de ce que signifient "game design" et "jouabilité".
  21. Jul 14, 2015
    I made a Metacritic account just to leave this review; do NOT buy this game. This is one of the worst games I have ever played. The horrendous attempt of "comedy" in the form of fart jokes and so on is so pitiful, I would rather stab myself in the ear with a fork than listen to that garbage. The AI in this game is about as intelligent as Call of Duty Ghost's Fish AI, spinning in circles,I made a Metacritic account just to leave this review; do NOT buy this game. This is one of the worst games I have ever played. The horrendous attempt of "comedy" in the form of fart jokes and so on is so pitiful, I would rather stab myself in the ear with a fork than listen to that garbage. The AI in this game is about as intelligent as Call of Duty Ghost's Fish AI, spinning in circles, grabbing and seeing your character through walls, and being utter dip****s. The animations in this game look like they were devised by a 10 year old with a learning disorder and this mixed with the atrocious AI make this game look like it was created in the late 90's. The graphics are sub par, 2D painted with a paintbrush that has been through the garbage disposal. Also, this game has the loading times of GTA V on roids, meaning that every time you die, you have to wait an eternity for the torture to load again. This is specifically annoying on the harder difficulties, where you can expect to be grabbed through walls and curbstomped several times over. The voice acting in this game sounds like it was done by someone who Focus Home Interactive hired off the street, and was in the process of devouring the microphone as he recorded his lines. Might as well add that this game is louder than my screaming 2 year old niece, and starts blaring audio the second you start the game, so if you make the unwise and unfortunate decision to purchase this absolute garbage excuse for a game, make sure you turn down the volume as soon as possible. Expand
  22. Jul 10, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So I've just started this game and there's already flaws in it, So I was excited for this game and whilst the visuals are pretty good and the concept is pretty good, it already lacks good gameplay and has bad design... Say for instance you're running through a level then you come to a ledge you spot what looks like a good route to take and you think "yeah I've found a way!" then you try it and die... you're thinking "what the heck" then it turns out there's already a linear path you MUST take... Then you come to a section which you think is safe as it's part of the intro then you suddenly have guards slashing you in the face and the only way to fight back is to PARRY attacks (they tried to do a bit of an assassin's creed style and failed) which you have to get pretty spot on and it's tough because they're attacking you so fast that you lose so much health from one duel which you're also expected to roll and dodge them... Then you make a little escape jump off a ledge which has just a little tiny drop but you DIE because you don't have much health and it does a load of damage... So whilst the concept of a Goblin running around stealthy and everything is great it lacks solid gameplay with good design which is utterly disappointing as I had high anticipation for this game and it has potential just it falls flat on delivery... I'll continue but only because there are next to no stealth games on the PS4 and it's free on PS-Plus. Expand
  23. Jul 25, 2015
    wtf was that game. ok its a stealth game but everything about stealth was wrong. i didn't enjoy while to played it. let me give you a picture about play and be stealth: 15 secs of gameplay and 30 secs of loading.. loop that until the and.
  24. Sep 2, 2015
    I tried 4 times to get into this game. I really wanted to enjoy it but I just don't have the patience for it after falling to my death once too often. The game mechanic seems to be geared towards climbing up but not down. Trying to find a route to sneak past guards by trial and error is just not fun after 20 or so efforts rewarded each time by a ridiculously long load time. It's not for me.
  25. Feb 24, 2015
    I love stealth games. I have played all the hitman games, all the metal gear games, the old splinter cell as well as obscure games like velvet assassin. As well as dishonoured, all the deux ex games etc. All stealth games have some kind of problems. If you like ghosting games then you know what I mean but Styx has levels which are large and the goblin himself is quite agile. The A.I. is asI love stealth games. I have played all the hitman games, all the metal gear games, the old splinter cell as well as obscure games like velvet assassin. As well as dishonoured, all the deux ex games etc. All stealth games have some kind of problems. If you like ghosting games then you know what I mean but Styx has levels which are large and the goblin himself is quite agile. The A.I. is as good as any I've seen. I am playing on normal. All A.I. has problems but in this game it is decent. The graphics are good as far I'm concerned and I picked it up for about 13 quid. In short even without the skills and the story which are again good as a stealth game it works. It is in no way an action game, the combat sucks but you are not meant to fight and I am tired of stealth games that you have the option to kill with ease. It is very easy to climb with only minor gripes with the controls. It is your fault 99 percent of the time if you get caught. If you like stealth, buy it. It is that simple. It is the purest stealth title in quite some time. Expand
  26. Nov 6, 2015
    This is a stealth game than can be fun depending on how you enjoy approaching stealth games. If you love feeling weak and limited - this game is for you, as you do feel weak and limited. Fighting against your enemies upfront is next to impossible, and the level design is solely based around stealth. Fun? Sure, for a little while. Not for too long.
  27. Jul 23, 2015
    I really wanted to like this game, but it just didn't do it for me.

I really wanted to like this game, but it just didn't do it for me.

The story is genuinely interesting, but nothing groundbreaking. The main character has a pretty interesting personality, but it is marred by the constant in-his-head chatter that just feels like a mashup of Crypto's lines from Destroy All Humans. The gameplay is fun at times and dreadfully boring at others. Your abilities seem pretty limited, and there are not many new features brought to the stealth game table aside from the cloning system, which is an interesting idea. The worst part to me is the autosaving; not only can you be screwed if an autosave happens when you have extremely low health, but sometimes you'll get halfway through the level, die, and then have to restart the entire level over again because the last autosave was at the beginning of the level! Overall the game feels like a re-skin of Thief: Deadly Shadows (but with stupid-simple lockpicking; seriously, you just hold a button) with a Destroy All Humans main character personality and the Dishonored style of "Multiple Paths", but lessened due to being unable to warp to higher platforms like in dishonored.
  28. Nov 15, 2016
    Styx is an incredible game that comes at us with some disappointing features. Like a blind date that starts magically before they casually admit they chew on their toenails. I'll start with the bad.

This game felt decidedly unfinished. The opening cutscene itself looked like it was using pre-rendered graphics and every one after that used artwork instead. There were minor errors all over the place like corpses blending with walls making them impossible to pick up, irregular sensory patterns from the guards meaning they'd notice you sometimes and not other times, other guards would get stuck in positions and just rotate in place making them very difficult to gank or sneak by, there would be random alerts caused by I know not what. Ass ghosts maybe. I even had one save where a guard went into search and destroy mode while I was hiding and wouldn't move, de-agg, or find me so I had to restart the level. These problems all united in an effort to piss me off and found myself sighing and reloading a lot. The combat was also atrocious, just about the worst I've ever encountered, but you weren't forced to engage in it often and I chose not to. But the biggest offender to my sense of decency was the reuse of levels. You pass through about twenty levels in the game, but there are only about eight maps. That was sad to me. The maps they have are fantastic but going through the same ones several times begin tedious.

The above listed complaints would sink most games but I gave it a seven because the highlights were impressive. The first thing I noticed was the music. The score to this game is easily among the best I've ever heard. Second thing that took me was the atmosphere with which I immediately fell in love. The levels were intricate and laid out in a very fun way which was a treat to explore. The characters felt well thought-out and interesting. And the plot. Oh my god the plot. Plot is a big thing for me in games and I found this one stellar. It drove me to complete the game despite the very disappointing latter half with its recycled levels.

So in the end it's sad that I have to give this game only a seven, because if it had spent more time being fine tuned and fleshed out it may have hit a ten. If you're driven through a game by plot, atmosphere, and characters like I am then give it a shot. Otherwise you may want to pass.
  29. May 17, 2016
    Competent stealth game that isn't terrible. Full disclosure: This was a PS Plus freebie, I am playing on easy mode, and I'm not very far into the game.

As a stealth game, Styx works. Enemies have a field of vision and hearing. There are multiple paths including the tried and true duct work. Styx comes with powers such as a controllable clone, invisibility, and the ability to see through walls. It's like a fantasy version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. That is, except for the combat.

The addition of brutal murders seems like a poor design decision. This could have been a game focused on stealth for the sake of stealth alone. Instead, you have a rudimentary combat, stealth take-downs, and places to hide bodies. It really does play like a fantasy version of Deus Ex. This is a shame, because the original Thief was already a great fantasy stealth game (and in my opinion the game that started the stealth genre). Styx is thus saddled with a design that does not set it apart from better stealth games nor does it push the genre forward.

After a few hours of playing around with the stealth mechanics, I checked the How Long to Beat website. Apparently Styx takes about 18 hours to beat. Seriously? I just can't see myself spending 18 hours on this title. I'll give it a try, but I think the game would be better off as a nice 10 hour adventure.
  30. Jun 18, 2017
    very good stealth game. If u love old thief, splinter cell etc, u must have this.
    Styx is small but not defenseless, magic, accessories... so fun :)
    Beware of bugs and difficult
  31. Feb 13, 2017
    Styx Master of Shadows
    Hardcore Stealth
    In Master of Shadows you’re on your own, no more giant orc by your side... You’re Styx after the heart of the world tree If this is your introduction to Styx He’s a stealthy goblin and easily the best part of Of Orcs and Men Despite your initial thoughts that this game is just assassins creed with a goblin… it’s much more on the hitman meets
    Styx Master of Shadows
    Hardcore Stealth
    In Master of Shadows you’re on your own, no more giant orc by your side...
    You’re Styx after the heart of the world tree
    Despite your initial thoughts that this game is just assassins creed with a goblin… it’s much more on the hitman meets dishonored side with the verticality of assassins creed and is easily the hardest stealth game I’ve ever played…
    |As the name suggests you have to master the shadows…
    Enemies can still see and detect you as you move through the shadows and they’ll even check hiding spots…
    it’s your job to find the best route through the 8 missions of this game..
    Each mission lasting easily 2-3 hours each because of how difficulty the stealth gameplay is…
    You have at your disposal, 2 throwing knifes, throwable sand to put out torches and the ability to create a clone of yourself... getting to your objective is reliant on your ability to sneak past guards and distract them
    You can get into hand to hand combat, but it’s hardly ever worth it as areas are crawling with enemies that will surround you and kill you while you’re locked into a garbage combat system parrying 1-5 times to be able to kill your enemy…
    The being locked in part is the worst…
    you’re able to roll away if you try hard enough.. But the camera stays locked on your alerted enemy trying to kill you... making it almost impossible to run most of the time…
    Unfortunately the game also spoon feeds you abilities…
    As you complete missions and side objectives within mission you’re awarded skill points to buff your agility, stealth, and combat to name a few to be able to hold more items and do new assassinations…
    You have to earn your way up to an air assassination which is annoying… but it’s the games way of teaching you the shadows... so slightly forgivable...
    The game also constantly introduces new enemies with new rules...
    some of them feel cheap though, to prevent spoilers ill just say by the end you’ll be using your clone more than the shadows to distract and lure instead of just as a switch thrower like you’ve been doing…
    I wasn’t a fan of the exploding skills or annoying beetles… but I did appreciate the fact that they were always changing the gameplay making the game just as hard throughout your journey as it is from the start… it never gets easy.. You never feel like you’re a master assassin...
    constant vulnerability... which makes for very tense moments…
    Completing these mission are genuinely satisfying because of this…
    But sadly the 2nd half of the game is really just doing the first half of the game backwards this time with harder enemies which is a bit of a disappointment… it felt like the game was dragging itself out just for the sake of it.. there’s no shame in a game being 10 hours long…
    Doubling your length be reusing levels just feels lazy
    And the game drags on for so long that your start to see massive flaws in the ai..
    They don’t act natural... they seemingly always know where you are, just waiting for you to get into their line of sight to make you restart from a checkpoint…
    you can’t confuse them which breaks immersion and kind of makes you feel like you’re getting lucky at times instead of outsmarting them…
    Which brings me to the biggest issue this game has…
    Its checkpoints and load times..
    You can save this game at any time... do it... don’t rely on the games auto save because it’s horrible and even corrupted on me in the final boss fight…
    When you feel you’ve made progress, save the game…
    But since this game is so difficulty and since stealth games are so much about trial and error.. it’s inexcusable to have load times as long as these are…
    I’m convinced half of my time was spent waiting for the game to load after messing up and dying…
    Master of Shadows
    Is a really good and a really challenging stealth game…
    But its clock in combat systems, magnet headed ai, repeat levels, and painfully long load times stop it from reaching the status of greatness…
    But if you’re a stealth fan definitely still play it.
    I give Styx:
  32. Feb 19, 2017
    This is probably the worst game I ever played. The stealth is garbage. The story is garbage. The combat is also garbage.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  33. Jan 2, 2019
    Well, Cyanide is the company behind that **** game of Thrones game and "Of orcs and man", and this games ins't really something that differs from those two.

The plot ain't nothing new or interesting, it starts with the basic character that has lost his memories, Then he has to reach some random place for reason, yeah, pretty basic. It has some interesting moments, but the plot is definetly not a high point.

Now, let's comment about the several issues that this game has. Styx is a stealth based game, one that really focus on the main characters fragility, so he can't be seen, so he must rely on covering himself, staying in the shadows and platforming in a 3D enviroment in order to survive. Platforming that consists in **** after ****, Styx really doens't seem to have that much of a grip, as you'll have to retry many times because the protagonist just didn't feel like grabing the ledge of a surface. The parkour and jumping in this game is really ****.

Speaking about retrying many times, that is a really big issue in this game. To get 100%, you'll have to do a lot of exploration that will result in try and error. If you want the shadow insignia, you cannot trigger any alert, which means that you'll have to understand the level layout and the IA patterns that are very slow. Of course, you'll experience try and error even without exploring 100%, and the main issue is the loading. Holy **** they take forever, it's like 20-30seconds, and when that is done, you **** up and then have to wait everything again. A game like this sould load in 5 seconds or so, not 30, It really frustrastes the gaming experience. Luckily, you can save anytime you want, and because of that, i've found myself constantly saving every single time (well, at least that doens't take that long).

The game also features many graphical glithes, if you move the camera too fast, you'll see many white boxes as the games strugles to load. When you get the upgrade that allows you to see through walls, The game's FPS drops like a ****ing anchor, and even though the graphic is decent, there is no excuse for such issues. You'll also face dumb IA, people entering through walls, and many other problems that degrade the game.

Getting foccused and ingoring these issues, i managed to 100% the game until stage 5. And that's when i got tired because of one gamebreaking bug: i couldn't progress any further, the game breaks and you can't go to the next mission, all because i decided to retry stage 5 and get everything that i couldn't do. Keep in mind that this bug exists even after 5 years after it's initial release, the developers said that they couldn't reproduce the bug, so they couldn't fix it. They did make a workaround, allowing players to proceed to the next mission without going to the starting point, but that patch was only released on PC. Meaning that, if you faced this bug on a console version of the game, had no savepoint before that, then it means a big and great: **** YOU.

Since Cyanide doens't seem concerned about this gamebreaking bug, all that i can think about it is to not buy any other games, since if i face another one of these bugs, that means a big ****ing waste, i don't care how attractive Shards of darkness and Ctulhu can be, this company has already lost my respect. If you want a good stealth game, com play dishonored instead. it's actually good.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 9 Critic Reviews

1. Jul 16, 2015
    While it's a decent stealth game, Styx: Master of Shadows doesn't meet PS4's quality standards due to its bland AI, basic combat system and poor graphic design.
  2. Feb 24, 2015
    Pick up Styx if you're a fan of staying in the shadows and don't want to have to dust off your old PS2 just to play a proper stealth game.
  3. Feb 16, 2015
    Styx: Master of Shadows is quite an interesting stealth adventure, both for its enjoyable moments as for the variety it offers once you unlock different skills. A good example of what can be achieved without the nowadays common excess of action.