7.7

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Jun 23, 2020
    One of the best games I've ever played. A few technical issues on console but overall it's a great experience. If you like survinal base building games, this game is one of the best in the market.
  2. Dec 2, 2021
    One of the best underwater games ever made and one of the best survival games ever made. A masterpiece of world-building, storytelling, game progression, and balance.

The visuals are often stunningly rich and beautiful textured and lit. Also fantastic audio - both the soundtrack, and the environmental sounds, made for the best sonic experience of any game I have ever played and this made a big difference to the emotional impact and sense of being alone in hostile waters. Use a home theatre system if you possibly can and crank up the subwoofer.

It would be a 10/10 but read on.

Subnautica on PS4 is let down by immersion-breaking graphical glitches (clipping, framerate, and pop-in are all problematic). And there are couple of horribly game-breaking bugs. Those issues might be okay on PC where workarounds can be found, but not on console where there's no workaround or remedy. Don't even bother playing on Hardcore mode, and backup your saves once an hour. The PS4 release needed a lot more polish so 8/10 is the best I can do.
  3. May 20, 2021
    One of the best survival games I've ever played, discovered by mere accident, as it was free to download as part of Sony's 'Stay at home' initiative.

Story is incredibly immersive, developing and full of twists. As it develops, more and more things start to make sense. And in order to develop it -- you have to put in more time/resources, get better equipment, get to the deepest and scariest biomes and find out by yourself.

Unlike it's sequel (more of an expansion pack) Below Zero, this game doesn't take you by your hand. Tutorial consists of few sentences and an arrow. Everything else you have to figure out by yourself. And this is what hooked me on to this game even further. I had to Google everything out, do the research as I play. Watch tutorials for each big step in order to make it. And thats why I've had 7+ days of pure game time fun.
  4. Jan 28, 2020
    Amazing game. Easily my all time top10. Yes, it could be better optimised for PS4 but honestly I didn't mind because of how hard it was for me to put it down.
  5. Feb 8, 2020
    Subnautica is a game that challenged my fears of the unknown, as well as the deepest parts of the ocean. Merge the unknown and deepest parts of the ocean and you are given a whole tank of fresh nightmare fuel.

But it is what had me enjoy this game the most. It's intense and almost terrifying, having to scavenge for resources in order to survive in the vast ocean of another planet thrown under quarantine now that a deadly infection has broken out. The graphics are beautiful, shimmering oceans and various creatures lurking. While a part of me was reluctant to face such terrifying creatures, the gameplay, story and visuals had me pushing through my own boundaries.
  6. May 11, 2020
    Very engrossing game filled with exploration, suspense and at times, sheer horror.

The narrative of the game is spot on, explains the backstory with numerous collectibles, a short cutscene at the beginning and hands you this beautiful world to explore at your own pace. While there isn't much dialogue in the game, the narrative is clear. This is a feat not many games have achieved.

The gameplay itself is good, though there are a few hiccups here and there. The controls can be quite clunky in places, especially with the mech suit. The player character has access to a PDA which acts as the interface for the game. This is quite handy because it gives you access to everything without removing you from the immersion of the game. Also, the base building aspect is one of my favourites of any game of the survival genre. It's simple, easy to use, and the customization is fantastic. I really hope it is expanded upon in future games.

The soundtrack of this game is absolutely stunning too. It perfectly captures the atmosphere I'd expect from a game set in the depths of the ocean. Combined with the visuals, it truly gives you a sense of loneliness on an alien world. The sound effects however have a few flaws in them, with some sound effects missing entirely and detract from the atmosphere slightly. The main example being the Prawn mech-suit which is missing some booster sounds when using the thrusters and when using the drill.

Moving on to the visuals. This is another thing the game truly excels in. The water effects are without a doubt the greatest I've ever seen on a video game. The way it reacts to your movements like surfacing for oxygen or when using the oxygen tank underwater, it truly gives you the feeling of being underwater which many AAA titles fail to capture. It is also worth noting that the biomes each have their own lighting effects which sets the mood depending on where you are.

To conclude, I highly recommend this game to anyone. The exploration aspect is phenomenal and the level of polish is outstanding. The only reason I have not given this game a 10/10 is due to the lack of autosave, which is a problem that hasn't been addressed and I've lost several hours of progress numerous times. Also, the movement can be quite clunky and unresponsive in places, but nothing game-breaking.
  7. Jun 20, 2020
    Really great game. I'm not the kind of gamer who likes survival games, but it really blow my mind. I play the game for the second time and it still gives me goosebumps
  8. May 14, 2021
    Loved this game but despite it being out for a few years now the bugs and glitches are awful, they happen very frequent and they vary from areas not spawning in, not being able to move, the game freezing and crashing and more. The developers really have no excuse for this there’s no reason as to why they can’t fix this but instead they focus on more getting more money by bringing out aLoved this game but despite it being out for a few years now the bugs and glitches are awful, they happen very frequent and they vary from areas not spawning in, not being able to move, the game freezing and crashing and more. The developers really have no excuse for this there’s no reason as to why they can’t fix this but instead they focus on more getting more money by bringing out a sequel, The loading times are awful as well. Expand
  9. May 13, 2021
    Easy 10 for price akone. It's subnautica in steroids, better graphics snimations sounds textured levels amazing story ends just much.

There is just so much more detail. It's what a 60 game costs even though it's worth 50 and so are those games. These people are the new CD project red. Releasing GOOD games that are original and cheap but great quality. And their sequel blew it out of the park. This is a mist buy. Best preorder for 26 ever had. But it at full price and support the dev because they are giving us a deal on premium is far bug free experience. They are like a unicorn in the industry. "You guys want cheap bomb ass games?" "Hell yeah!" "Well here ya go! Oh and they don't crash or need dlc! Maybe we will add in free stuff but it's definitely a complete game. You can preorder it for $27!".

Dudes are legends in the gaming industry. We should buy their stock now After resident evil right making another solid 100 from me, thst and Disco Elysium have made spring gsming great. Next week sunless skies comes out console another must buy from me. Recently we have been spoiled with good games. Biomutant is good i preordered it ,shame shame i know. It could be a buggy crashing mess. Side note, check out steep you like snowboarding to chill electro music. Also try Stellaris if you like big sim space empire warfare. My last recommendation is Blasphemous it's my goty before next year's dokm enteral which was a blessing from the literal gods. Don't miss Lara Croft 30woth dlc dungeons it's dope. Finally ion fury if you like duke nukem
  10. Oct 17, 2020
    DON’T BUY THIS GAME ON PS4. I absolutely echo what others have said. I love this game but the bugs are game breaking on PS4. I tried two playthroughs and in both I encountered a save bug that wouldn’t let me save my game. I lost over 50 hours of game time. I’d give this game another shot if they fixed the bugs but I hear the developers have already moved on to other games. Bottom line:DON’T BUY THIS GAME ON PS4. I absolutely echo what others have said. I love this game but the bugs are game breaking on PS4. I tried two playthroughs and in both I encountered a save bug that wouldn’t let me save my game. I lost over 50 hours of game time. I’d give this game another shot if they fixed the bugs but I hear the developers have already moved on to other games. Bottom line: don’t buy this game on PS4, buy it on PC. Expand
  11. Mar 1, 2019
    totally engrossing. I've not been that taken with base building games before but this has a combination of accessibility and difficulty that makes it really easy to get in to.
    Great story and superb sound design, managed to make be genuinely creeped out with little but darkness and sound effects. Superb.
  12. Sep 11, 2020
    A fantastic game that has sadly been left unfinished. The game ended for me when one of the late-game leviathans grabbed my exosuit and threw me clear through a non-existent wall texture and off the map, leading to the loss of many hours of progress. Awful controls and poor optimisation further lead me to believe that the developers never had any intention of turning the PS4 version into aA fantastic game that has sadly been left unfinished. The game ended for me when one of the late-game leviathans grabbed my exosuit and threw me clear through a non-existent wall texture and off the map, leading to the loss of many hours of progress. Awful controls and poor optimisation further lead me to believe that the developers never had any intention of turning the PS4 version into a finished product. Avoid. Expand
  13. Dec 9, 2018
    Fantastic game, I really love it. That being said, the game is a broken mess on PS4. Crashing every couple hours I can handle, but when I save multiple times in order to prevent losing data, it either doesn't save, or loses saves. I had a file I literally saved, a couple minutes later crashed. When I reloaded, it was an hour earlier and all of my exploration in the lost river was gone.Fantastic game, I really love it. That being said, the game is a broken mess on PS4. Crashing every couple hours I can handle, but when I save multiple times in order to prevent losing data, it either doesn't save, or loses saves. I had a file I literally saved, a couple minutes later crashed. When I reloaded, it was an hour earlier and all of my exploration in the lost river was gone. Tons of nickle ore gone. I love the game, but I'm done playing until this kind of stuff is fixed. Expand
  14. Feb 23, 2019
    Great. Probably the best exploration game I've ever played. It was constantly interesting and surprising. The moderate survival/horror elements were perfect for me. One of my favorite games of all time in spite of a few minor bugs.
  15. Dec 19, 2018
    Allthough SN is a gripping experience (I've been playing preview since February 2018) the enormous amount of bugs and performance issues take the whole game down. Immersion is constantly and completely broken due to those 2. Still I keep on playing. I want this game to be good so much. But alas the developer chose to put their time into DLC instead of fixing the problems
  16. Jan 14, 2019
    I really can't rate this game highly enough. I'm typically a casual gamer that usually only plays the odd weekend or so, but despite it somewhat slower nature, something about this title had me glued to the screen for 6 an entire weekend. I'm already thinking about how I can sneak extra time in during the week without neglecting my household. It's been 15 years since a game has captured meI really can't rate this game highly enough. I'm typically a casual gamer that usually only plays the odd weekend or so, but despite it somewhat slower nature, something about this title had me glued to the screen for 6 an entire weekend. I'm already thinking about how I can sneak extra time in during the week without neglecting my household. It's been 15 years since a game has captured me like this (Morrowind). So much so that I felt the need to write a review, which I've never done before.

The environment is beautiful and at times, deeply unsettling as you discover hints of just how diverse, vast, and terrifying the environment can be. More often than not, it's what you can't see that gets the heart racing. An incredible music score goes with each of the individual environments and adds to the sense of awe as you discover new locations. Legitimate challenges are balanced nicely with the rewards received for exploring - the pace of the game is as slow or as fast as you'd like it to be.

I've been tempted to read guides online but I think that discovering on your own is one of the greatest delights of this game and frankly, when it comes to certain areas, ignorance might be bliss.

I've seen some folks write about bugs and issues with graphics - while I've definitely encountered some slow environment loading when moving quickly, I haven't experienced any bugs that I know of.

This game is an absolute pleasure to play.
  17. Nov 16, 2020
    Riddled with bugs. Not worth playing if your file will just get corrupted after 20 hours.
  18. Jan 11, 2019
    I challenge the gaming community to find a game that runs this poorly on any console. One has to seriously question the morality of the people making money off of this port. Did anyone think to see if the game worked before charging people their hard earned money? Is it really forgivable to put us through this? I want people to know that i spent over 100 hours with this game before writingI challenge the gaming community to find a game that runs this poorly on any console. One has to seriously question the morality of the people making money off of this port. Did anyone think to see if the game worked before charging people their hard earned money? Is it really forgivable to put us through this? I want people to know that i spent over 100 hours with this game before writing this review and tried to reinstall multiple times etc. I platinumed this POS and believe I could have done so in less than 10 hours without performance issues. The game all out crashed 30-40 times. Saves failed to actually save my progress around 5 times and lost me about 50 hours of my life. Objects often don’t render until you are inside them and you will get stuck countless (100s) times because of this. The game half freezes every time you come to the surface and will generally do this regardless of where u are or what u are doing about every 5 seconds. The performance is directly linked to the size of your save file so it takes time for all of this to come to fruition. Like 15 minutes at least before it all falls to bloody hell. Objects get stuck inside your base and sub, sometimes breaking the game. Pet “fish” dissappear every time you leave the base regardless of what you do to protect them. The frame rate is legit 3 FPS for the latter half of the game. I’m infuriated and truly can’t believe you got away with this. How in the actual **** does this game get approved for release. Sure it’s one of the best game ideas ever conceived if it runs well but it hardly runs at all. This game struggles to perform on
    pc. It’s a complete joke on PS4. Sooooo many more bugs I cant fit in this space that are practically game breaking in their own right. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
  19. Nov 16, 2020
    20 fps PSPro + tons of bugs. I loved this game on PC. But PS experience is awful.
  20. Dec 6, 2018
    Very polished. Lots of fun. Picked it up last night, was still playing at 4am. Feels like what I expected No Man's Sky to offer when it was released, but didn't. I hesitated at paying full price, just before the sales, but don't fear, it's entirely worth it.
  21. Dec 13, 2018
    I really wanted to like this game, I’m a HUGE fan of the concept and content. This in theory was a beautifully designed survival game or if you play in creative mode a beautiful exploration game. Except that it becomes unplayable after about an hour or two, it’ll crash at random despite it seemingly working fine, or it’ll stop rendering the sea floor at all, you’ll suddenly lose a bunch ofI really wanted to like this game, I’m a HUGE fan of the concept and content. This in theory was a beautifully designed survival game or if you play in creative mode a beautiful exploration game. Except that it becomes unplayable after about an hour or two, it’ll crash at random despite it seemingly working fine, or it’ll stop rendering the sea floor at all, you’ll suddenly lose a bunch of resources. If you managed to save before it crashes there isn’t a guarantee it actually saved, it deletes save files left and right, if the developers manage to release a decent patch I would love to rate this much higher but at its current state unfortunately I can only give it a 4 at most. It feels like I’m playing a game that’s still in its beta stage and not a game that’s been out for several years (I am aware that it’s a new release to ps4 but it’s been out on pc for a while). Expand
  22. Jan 2, 2019
    Potential to be an amazing game. wonderful graphics, great premise and setting with in depth exploration and worldbuilding. however this is undercut by constant graphical errors and failure to load textures making exploring in the game a nightmare as your never sure if a wall or leviathan will spawn around you. the save system is terrible as there is no autosave feature and the game willPotential to be an amazing game. wonderful graphics, great premise and setting with in depth exploration and worldbuilding. however this is undercut by constant graphical errors and failure to load textures making exploring in the game a nightmare as your never sure if a wall or leviathan will spawn around you. the save system is terrible as there is no autosave feature and the game will occasionally delete your save file. this is further undercut by the game consistently crashing every few hours to minutes. this game has so much potential but is ultimately a buggy unplayable mess. Expand
  23. Sep 21, 2020
    The has slow rendering and hit detection issues where you can fall out of the world before the environment populates. I sucked it up and kept playing all the to the end where you get to the last location and fell right through the floor. It's shameful how bad this was translated to console. It was an obvius cash grab.
  24. Jan 28, 2020
    Warning, this game has been out for well over a year and, instead of fixing the game breaking bugs that the game has had since launch, the developer decided to move on to a new game.
  25. Dec 9, 2020
    i dont know the people who made this ps4 version... but i do know they are a bunch of incompetent idiots. This version of the game have so many problems...the game crashed so many times...the frame rate is poor... the elements just pop out of nowhere... and after a tons of hours, my save has been corrupted... i was nearly the end. I will never trust this company ever., they just are thieves.
  26. Dec 6, 2018
    I really like the concept and gameplay mechanics. This is what I expected from No Man's Sky. I like the game and atmosphere. It's scary and yet entertaining. Unfortunately, game is not ported well. Even on my PS4 Pro, I have huge FPS drops. After travelling long distance, game sometimes drops to like 2 - 3 FPS and almost completely freezes. It needs to be restarted to work fine again.I really like the concept and gameplay mechanics. This is what I expected from No Man's Sky. I like the game and atmosphere. It's scary and yet entertaining. Unfortunately, game is not ported well. Even on my PS4 Pro, I have huge FPS drops. After travelling long distance, game sometimes drops to like 2 - 3 FPS and almost completely freezes. It needs to be restarted to work fine again. Also, assigning items to quickslot menu is a pain. You can not simply assign tool to specific slot or even remove it. You can only add it on first place, while rest of items is moved one position further and last is removed. Hopefully they resolve performance issues soon so I can improve the score. Expand
  27. Dec 4, 2020
    This game has, by far, the worst performance of any game I've played on PS4. It's an exhilarating, engaging, terrifying and immensely satisfying game. However, even if your save doesn't get corrupted or you don't fall through the seafloor into an unfixable glitch, the framerate on PS4 is such a significant barrier to enjoyment that I do not recommend you play it on this platform.

The

The performance of the game decreases as you make it further into the story, which makes it all the more frustrating. I was invested, because it's awesome, but I was so damn frustrated by the near-single-digit frame rates that can persist for minutes at a time that I had to give up and just watch a YouTube video of the end of the story to get closure on what should have been a totally awesome experience. 10/10 for game design but 2/10 for implementation and optimization on PS4.
  28. Dec 11, 2018
    Was intrigued with this game from the beginning. My fear of heights also translate to deep water, like the Ocean. What is down there below me ? How far down can i go ? What is lurking in the shadows ? So this could a horror survival for peeps like me.
    If your into the survival crafting genre then you will love this title. Unique alien ocean setting is very cool. Im only about 8 hours in but having a blast. So many different machines for travel and shelter to build for survival.
    Many interesting creatures so far and not even able to dive below 200 meters yet ? Story is good so far, seeking out other survivors of the your huge, crashed spacecraft. Help is on the way early but something has to give. Is that a island out there ? Who's there.
    Lots of mystery. Reminds me of the updated version of No Mans Sky but I like this game much better so far.
  29. Dec 13, 2018
    I really was anticipating for this game to come out on PS4, but sadly cannot enjoy playing Subnautica. Firstly, this is because of performance issues and secondly, some problems I have with the actual content of the game.

Here are the performance issues: -The biggest problem is that approximately 40% of the time the game will crash when I save, making me repeat 45 minutes of progress

Here are the performance issues:

-The biggest problem is that approximately 40% of the time the game will crash when I save, making me repeat 45 minutes of progress multiple times.
    -The game freezes for 2 seconds when I pop-up to breath some air.
    - When I travel faster through the water the frames will drop to single digits or even freeze occasionally.
    - When I dive down from the water surface and look down at a seafloor that is more than 150m deep, there will not be a seafloor at all, but just darkness. Then as I swim closer, the surface will be loaded in with square surfaces at a time (this looks real ugly).
    - Pop-in is reliably immersion-breaking in areas with vines and mushroom-like statures.
    - Sometimes a square surface won't be loaded and you can look through the bottom of the map.

Now I can imagine the game would be pretty beautiful and enjoyable if it actually functioned, but there are some problems I have with the game's design. First of, I do not like to read in a game. Most information about the game-mechanics are in your menu which you just have to read through. Explain the game to me in a cutscene or dialogue that I actually enjoy listening to. I already found this annoying with Breath of the Wild, so this might be a personal issue.
    However, if you don't read anything there isn't much to do. You go through the water and scan everything to build cool vehicles or a base, but there is no real purpose for the game it seems. There are no characters you'll meet, water and food isn't a real problem, and after a while you have found most of the mechanical parts and it gets kinda grindy to find the ones you haven't.
    Also I have to look up multiple things on the internet as certain aspects are never explained to me. Why can't I recharge my submarine? Where do I find Cave Sulfur? Why can't I build the primary chamber of my base?
    Inventory management is also pretty annoying, because in the first place the inventory is small and secondly you only have 5 hotkeys and 10 tools you'll need. Just give me a wheel where I can select tools from just like any other game? :l

In the end, I have quite playing Subnautica after 15 hours of playtime as my immersion was continually broken by the pop-in and I kept losing saves and apart from all that I didn't feel pushed by the game to progress. This all makes it hard for me to give the game more than a 5.
  30. May 30, 2021
    Am I playing the same game as all these rave reviews? I can't even give the game a proper review because it's such a stunted experience. The game drops you literally in the middle of the ocean with minimal guidance and signposting, and of course your ship is broken and you are under-equipped.

However, none of the above is even the real problem. What I couldn't get past was the constant meandering around the ocean scavenging for ingredients like looking for a needle in a haystack. This is extremely repetitive and extremely tedious. Every now and then I thought I was getting somewhere, such as when I crafted the scanner and the flashlight, but all these added were another tedious element to the gameplay.

I played the game in free mode because having to babysit my character's hunger and thirst sounded ridiculous, but even in free mode having to constantly dive in and out of water for oxygen became incredibly irritating quickly. The creative mode that removes all survival mechanics also disables the story so it's a pointless mode I never even tried.

I noticed many people mentioning performance problems, which I fortunately encountered very few of. The framerate definitely suffered and I saw some fish getting stuck in the environment, but nothing game-breaking. Having said that, reports of losing save files make me glad to give this up after just a few hours.

This is yet another game that had amazing potential and I really looked forward to it, but was quite disappointed. It's just inane, tedious and repetitive. Fortunately I got it free during the pandemic so I'm not going to complain about losing too much. Avoid.
  31. Jan 29, 2019
    This game deserves a at lest 9.5 IF the devs put in a bit more effort to optimize for consoles. I finished the game and I love it. No games ever make me feel so immersive as Subnautica. I do not know how to describe but ill tell you that, the night after i finished the game and went to bed, i had a very sweet, satisfying dream where i was diving and exploring in a deep, blue and clearThis game deserves a at lest 9.5 IF the devs put in a bit more effort to optimize for consoles. I finished the game and I love it. No games ever make me feel so immersive as Subnautica. I do not know how to describe but ill tell you that, the night after i finished the game and went to bed, i had a very sweet, satisfying dream where i was diving and exploring in a deep, blue and clear ocean. I woke up feeling a bit upset because i knew it was a dream and a game that had ended. Expand
  32. Jan 23, 2019
    This is one of the best games on the market, truly original. You can ignore the low score reviews, the game has been patched right after release and runs fine, no crashes after 20+ hours of play. If you like survival type games this is a must get. Very suspenseful and a intriguing story/setting. The controls are very intuitive and easy to pick up. The real fun part of this game isThis is one of the best games on the market, truly original. You can ignore the low score reviews, the game has been patched right after release and runs fine, no crashes after 20+ hours of play. If you like survival type games this is a must get. Very suspenseful and a intriguing story/setting. The controls are very intuitive and easy to pick up. The real fun part of this game is exploring and crafting. The world is huge and you must figure it out. Very rewarding process. If you like games that make you think and plan, you will love this game! Expand
  33. Mar 20, 2020
    Anyone that praises this rediculous nonsense glitch of a "game" as worth playing is a bot. It's hands down worse than the cheesiest mobile game ever made. The earliest Atari games were like epic rpg's in comparison. Peace.
  34. Nov 28, 2020
    Although the game starts well, despite having low frame rates per second and a somewhat slow load of objects on the screen at a distance, the game begins to show crashes after a couple of hours, blacking out when starting the game sometimes, so you have to be closing the game and opening it again, and as if that were not enough, after saving errors begin to appear which become tedious andAlthough the game starts well, despite having low frame rates per second and a somewhat slow load of objects on the screen at a distance, the game begins to show crashes after a couple of hours, blacking out when starting the game sometimes, so you have to be closing the game and opening it again, and as if that were not enough, after saving errors begin to appear which become tedious and do not allow you to save the game. Ruining the gameplay completely. Disgusting for a fourth generation game. Expand
  35. Mar 29, 2021
    Saved my game after playing for about 5-6 hours, got off. Next day loaded it up and found myself with half my base missing, looked it up and this game has a bunch of saving issues. Waste of time.
  36. Nov 18, 2020
    AVOID PS4 VERSION ITS UNPLAYABLE. Of the million bugs, the worst is losing your entire save file, which is always a matter of "when" and not "if". PSN doesnt give a refund while i simply cannot finish this game because of the thousands of different save bugs.
  37. Dec 2, 2020
    This would be a great game, except, two YEARS after release, it still has game breaking bugs. 60 hours into the game and, without warning, all my bases and equipment disappeared, never to return. Basically that’s a start again moment. But since it will happen again, there’s nothing to be done. This is a commonly found error and the developers have done nothing with it. Avoid at all costs.
  38. Dec 6, 2020
    Game fundamentally broken. Amazing game rendered unplayable. For me atleast, 30+hrs had lots of trouble saving. Then upon reloading lost everything my base and vehicles gone. So many hours put into a game I enjoyed incredably. Wont start another game. I dont understand how selling a game in this state has no legal boundaries
  39. Apr 9, 2021
    Taking place in the late 22nd century, Subnautica opens with the deep-space vessel Aurora crash lands on planet 4546B. Having been able to make it into a life-pod, the player finds themselves alone and having to fight against all odds in order to survive.

As with many games in the ‘survival genre’ collecting and crafting goods can be a little repetitive, especially in the early going, and this may put some people off. The underwater world of Subnautica is however both exhilarating and terrifying to explore, and the crafting system is incredibly satisfying. Add to this an intriguing story, and you have an absolutely fantastic game.
  40. Feb 21, 2019
    How long can you hold your breath? Subnautica is a unique take on the whole survival/crafting adventure. There's a story, goals to be achieved, and an ending. There is also a decided lack of weapons. That's right--you crash on an alien ocean planet full of creatures trying to eat you armed only with your wits...and eventually a knife. The remainder of the gadgets at your disposal areHow long can you hold your breath? Subnautica is a unique take on the whole survival/crafting adventure. There's a story, goals to be achieved, and an ending. There is also a decided lack of weapons. That's right--you crash on an alien ocean planet full of creatures trying to eat you armed only with your wits...and eventually a knife. The remainder of the gadgets at your disposal are almost strictly defensive or supportive, and you will need them to survive long enough to discover the fates of the rest of the crew (and other, less mundane mysteries.)

You'll build subs, bases, and eventually a means of escape--after you explore the murky depths and recover the blueprints/materials to construct them. Just watch out for the leviathans...and your all-important oxygen supply.

The sublime tension involved in traversing this aquatic world is only marred by technical issues readily apparent on PC, but compounded by the limited power of consoles and the team's utilization of the Unity engine (which isn't known for its efficiency or speed.) Objects pop in, frame rates stutter and hitch,, and bugs/crashes are more frequent than expected for a game with three years of early access and a full year as a final release (on PC.) The console visuals are a mixed bag of muddy textures, poor lighting, and short view distance.

The essence of Subnautica survives the port, but the technical execution and quality-of-life aspects need some serious attention. Still, the game manages to draw you into the deep with good sound design, intriguing plot, and rewarding exploration. Come on in--the water's fine.
  41. Dec 4, 2018
    What should i say? Subnautica changed my attitude on survival games.
    This is a diamond in an ocean of typical unfinished start ups. And a breath of fresh air after all those franchise based "ball of booty 9" and "aladeen creed 10" games... =)
    Atmosphere, graphics, plot and MUSIC!
    This is a true masterpiece.
    So far i'm enjoying playing it with my wife on a big screen. Peace!
    Must buy.
  42. Jun 2, 2021
    TL;DR: This game IS worth getting but if you can, get it on PC. It's a shame the PS4 version is so much worse. I've left a glowing review for the PC version but I simply cannot recommend paying more than a very small amount of money on the PS4 version (it was free when I got it, and it showed enough promise to make me want to pay for the PC version). The issues: The game takes far to longTL;DR: This game IS worth getting but if you can, get it on PC. It's a shame the PS4 version is so much worse. I've left a glowing review for the PC version but I simply cannot recommend paying more than a very small amount of money on the PS4 version (it was free when I got it, and it showed enough promise to make me want to pay for the PC version). The issues: The game takes far to long to load and, worse, way way way too long to save. The saving issue is painful because world content will not stream in (i.e.: appear) until saving is complete. I have waiting between 1 to 2 minutes to save my progress, and you need to save because the game blue screens SO MUCH. This IS a GREAT game, which only makes it all the more frustrating because of these highly intrusive issues. Should you get this game on PS4? If you can get it for free or only a few bucks then definitely try it out, but if you have the choice, get it on PC where none of these issue exist. Expand
  43. Jan 26, 2021
    Great story. Fun exploration and crafting. Adequate graphics and audio. Buggy. Game crashed at least 6 time and my vehicles got stuck in walls/floors multiple times.
  44. May 24, 2019
    This review score is based on the creepy, very fun, underwater crafting/survival adventure game I just could not put down and not the soul-crushing, game-breaking bug-filled mess that warrants a review score of 1. No game has pissed me off more. I absolutely loved it, but paying money for it (which would normally be a great deal) in the state it is in makes me feel like my nuts areThis review score is based on the creepy, very fun, underwater crafting/survival adventure game I just could not put down and not the soul-crushing, game-breaking bug-filled mess that warrants a review score of 1. No game has pissed me off more. I absolutely loved it, but paying money for it (which would normally be a great deal) in the state it is in makes me feel like my nuts are nothing but a kicking bag. Expand
  45. May 11, 2021
    Absolutely phenomenal game. Been a while since a game got me hooked in as much as Subnautica.
    Exploring the different biomes and uncovering new blueprints/lore is incredibly satisfying.

Story was top notch and engaging throughout as well. Would have been an easy 10/10 for me if not for the numerous bugs (one of which almost bricked my 70 hour playthrough). Fact that this game still gets a 9/10 despite the bugs shows its truly a one a kind and unforgettable experience.

Upon finishing the game, I could not stop thinking about it for almost a week later.
  46. Jan 23, 2020
    apart from the MAJOR performance issues, clipping, textures not loading etc this is a masterpiece. loved every minute of it! cannot believe i did not play this sooner! :)
  47. Jul 17, 2021
    It is the first survival game I have played and it did not dissapoint. After this game I believe the bar will be set really high for the next one to beat it.
    The atmosphere is fantastic and I was always amazed at how far I was able to push the game's performance. Everything is seamlessly connected without any loading screens. Indeed there are some pop ins but nothing gamebreaking. The story is excellent and lastly at the end, you feel you leave your own mark on this incredible alien world. I can't wait to star playing below zero.
  48. Dec 15, 2018
    EDIT: [Crashes seem to be fixed from latest update 1.05. They also added a feedback button. I know I rated the game as it came out... but now that its fixed, it deserves its better score of a... 9!!!] Original review --> Sigh...Great game but has some severe issues. The devs are aware of the issues and are working on them according to their web page. I have updated to 1.04 andEDIT: [Crashes seem to be fixed from latest update 1.05. They also added a feedback button. I know I rated the game as it came out... but now that its fixed, it deserves its better score of a... 9!!!] Original review --> Sigh...Great game but has some severe issues. The devs are aware of the issues and are working on them according to their web page. I have updated to 1.04 and started a new game after the update. Seems the game crashes more now then before. Crashes alot during saving as well. It's a shame because if there was no crashes, the game would be an 8 or 9. (Maybe add auto save every 5 minutes?) Fix the framerate issues and occasional missing textures in the world and it would be a 10. The reason I say that is because the game itself is AMAZING. The fear of the deep, the progression, the blueprints, the soundtrack, the story.. omg.. there's so much to love about this game.. it is a masterpiece. BUT.. not when the framerate is slowing down and definitely not when it constantly crashes.. I've had a 3 day weekend to really get into the game, and I've had at least 6-8 crashes per day. Unacceptable!!! The game is just a 4 right now and I'm being VERY generous. Like I said before, after they fix the crashes and help with the framerate, the score will rise on an otherwise great game. Expand
  49. Mar 30, 2020
    not terrible, but after about three hours i never turned it on again, probably never will. glad i got it at a discount, but wish i hadn't spent the twenty bucks in the first place, there is a downside to digital purchases.
  50. Jun 2, 2021
    This one is among the best games I've played in my life and I play for 35 years. It's just immersive. For anyone loving free open-world adventures, where it's the player to decide what to do and where to go - it's probably a life-time adventure.

What makes it so unique is the constant sense of "unknown". Sure, Witcher or Skyrim are great too, it's a similar vibe of freedom but wherever you go, there are other people there. In subnautica, you can't really expect anything and it's a constant I-didn't-expected-that feeling.

The only minor complaint is a slow start that could potentially repell some players from the exploration - you first need to gather resources, build a base and vehicles and only then the player can plan their trips around the vast world that awaits to be visited.

I really like the story, it's not that obvious at the beginning but later in the game the plot plays an important role. Clever, as it's then not just exploring around without a point but rather, you explore to unravel the story behind the game.

Brilliant, great. Definitely recommend.
  51. Apr 30, 2021
    One of the best games I've ever played. A truly new and unique gaming experience that makes you feel all kinds of things other videogames have never made you feel before. PS4 experience is not that great compared to PC but with dev tools on and the vsync turned off the frame rate is quite good. Any technical shortcomings are completely overshadowed by just how good the gaming experienceOne of the best games I've ever played. A truly new and unique gaming experience that makes you feel all kinds of things other videogames have never made you feel before. PS4 experience is not that great compared to PC but with dev tools on and the vsync turned off the frame rate is quite good. Any technical shortcomings are completely overshadowed by just how good the gaming experience is. I could say a lot more about this game but I can't be bothered right now. Expand
  52. Dec 18, 2018
    Subnautica gibt es bereits länger für den PC, jetzt erscheint das ambitionierte Indiespiel auch auf Konsolen – und wer sich über die Feiertage völlig verlieren will, taucht tief ein ins vielleicht beste Unterwasserabenteuer seit Bioshock. Der Start verläuft ähnlich wie beim Genrekollegen The Solus Project: Ihr stürzt auf einem einsamen Alienplaneten ab, sucht nach einem Weg nach Hause undSubnautica gibt es bereits länger für den PC, jetzt erscheint das ambitionierte Indiespiel auch auf Konsolen – und wer sich über die Feiertage völlig verlieren will, taucht tief ein ins vielleicht beste Unterwasserabenteuer seit Bioshock. Der Start verläuft ähnlich wie beim Genrekollegen The Solus Project: Ihr stürzt auf einem einsamen Alienplaneten ab, sucht nach einem Weg nach Hause und optional nach Nahrung und Wasser. Das derweil gibt es zuhauf – denn die Spielwelt besteht zu 99 Prozent daraus. Während Ihr anfangs noch nervig oft auftaucht, craftet Ihr Euch mithilfe natürlicher Ressourcen bald bessere Schwimmflossen und Sauerstoffflaschen, dann ein schnelles U-Boot, später ganze Basen. Bis dahin aber ist es ein langer Weg, der durch etwas späte Storytrigger auch noch steinig ist. Dennoch ist Subnautica nie langweilig – denn die virtuelle Tiefsee ist gleichsam wunderschön wie furchterregend. So taucht Ihr im einen Moment auf der Suche nach Erz in einen sonnendurchfluteten Algenwald, im anderen mit letzter Luft durch ein klaustrophobisches Schiffswrack – und längst nicht jeder Bewohner ist ein putziges Fischchen. Obendrein punktet Subnautica mit komplexen, aber intuitiven Spielmechaniken und einer spannenden, nur über Audiologs und Textkästchen erzählten Story nebst Twist. Expand
  53. Jan 20, 2019
    I picked this up because 2 colleagues at work can't stop talking about it. Very engaging and i haven't had any real problems when playing though I do have a PS4 pro. There have been a couple of glitches with scenery but mostly it's a gorgeous world to explore. Later on there are clues but unlike the PC game there is no compass or co-ordinates which makes some of the navigation even moreI picked this up because 2 colleagues at work can't stop talking about it. Very engaging and i haven't had any real problems when playing though I do have a PS4 pro. There have been a couple of glitches with scenery but mostly it's a gorgeous world to explore. Later on there are clues but unlike the PC game there is no compass or co-ordinates which makes some of the navigation even more challenging. I've played almost 6 hours straight and my weekend has disappeared already. Expand
  54. Feb 20, 2019
    Suuuuch a good game. I've been a playstation player my whole life and I remember seeing videos of this game in it's early life on PC and thinking it looked amazing. Well... Now we have it and the good news is it's really quite fascinating. This and The Forest are the two survival games on PS4 that actually seem to function as well as they should since we all know most survival games,Suuuuch a good game. I've been a playstation player my whole life and I remember seeing videos of this game in it's early life on PC and thinking it looked amazing. Well... Now we have it and the good news is it's really quite fascinating. This and The Forest are the two survival games on PS4 that actually seem to function as well as they should since we all know most survival games, whether on PC or console, are buggy pieces of garbage haha. You've crash-landed on an alien planet and your goal is to escape the planet, but to do so you'll have to explore, develop technologies and brave the deepest depths of this foreign world in the pursuit of the materials needed to get home.

Graphics:

The graphics in this game are super charming right from the get-go, almost looking like a Pixar movie with it's exaggerated proportions on certain items and your character and the bright colors found on all the lifeforms and plants! The water in particular looks absolutely amazing! Despite looking really good one of the few things that bug me about the game is the fact that there's some very noticeable pop-in with assets like vines, and also on occasion I had chunks of the terrain underwater that wouldn't load right away and I'd see this big square patch on the sea floor where I'd see through the map. They never caused me any actual gameplay problems but it was pretty ugly to look at at times, despite it being a rare occurance, at least for me. The different technologies, lifeforms and plants are all exquisitely designed in my opinion. Every new Biome is exciting to explore and research.

Sound:

This is really really REALLY well done. The muffled sounds of being underwater feel realistic, as well as the directional audio. The sound of your rubbery suit running around inside your base feels simultaneously depressing and comforting as your feeling of loneliness sets in slowly but surely. The music in this game is also very noteworthy. It always seems to kick in at just the right moment like when you see some monstrous creature for the first time, or when entering a new biome. Some very space techno sounding beats and melodies that fit very well with the theme of space explorer crash landed on an alien planet. Really good stuff.

Gameplay:

So gameplay consists of mostly farming. That's something to be aware of when entering this game. You won't spend much time in any kind of combat. It really isn't the point of the game. This is a game of exploration, discovery and survival. You'll spend alot of time scanning the environment which is littered with wreckage from your giant crashed space ship to discover new technologies and blueprints to help make your base better and your chances of survival higher. You can scan and read up on all plants and lifeforms on the planet to learn if they themselves can be used in crafting. There's even differences in the types of fish you'll find and their respective calorie counts. One fish might barely feed you and only be worth taking if you're desperate and dont have immediate access to anything else while another will feed far more than others, giving you a reason to figure out which biomes or caves specific types of fauna tend to hang out. In terms of gameplay I would say the biggest flaw is that the game is really not very challenging, which isn't to say you'll never die because you most certainly will, but maybe not as much as you would like in a survival game. My suggestion is to play on Hardcore mode which is a permadeath mode. Combine that with the 'Filmic' filter in the options and you'll have a game that feels significantly scarier as one dumb mistake like forgetting to keep an eye on your oxygen levels (which can easily happen while exploring wreckage or caves where you will sometimes get completely lost when not using something like the pathfinder tool) or getting a little too friendly with a particularly deadly creature of the deep. I also suggest the Filmic filter in the settings because it makes the game more realistically dark. With the normal filter on it often feels a little too bright while swimming around in the dead of night in deeper waters which really breaks the immersion in my opinion. This also forces you to use tools like flashlights more frequently which means managing batteries becomes a more prominent aspect in the game. I would also suggest looking at as few tutorial videos on youtube as possible as one of the game's biggest strengths is the really palpable sense of discovery. Figuring out that the plant you've been swimming by a hundred times turns out to have a really important part in some higher level crafting material is often really rewarding and gives you these ''AHA!'' moments that feel amazing.

Verdict: I would say this game is, despite some flaws, a really amazing and fascinating game. The feeling of discovery is unlike anything I've experienced before in a video game in all honesty. Well worth a buy!
  55. Oct 19, 2021
    Solid survival game. They really did a great job creating unique and different biomes to keep you interested. And boy, do those Reaper Leviathans keep you on your toes.

I had only two complaints: One, the load times could get a bit lengthy (upwards of four minutes, a few times). This is notable because second, the Prawn Suit that you can construct in-game has a very bad habit of

I had only two complaints:

One, the load times could get a bit lengthy (upwards of four minutes, a few times). This is notable because second, the Prawn Suit that you can construct in-game has a very bad habit of getting stuck in the Alien Facilities you enter. In my case, the only way I could unstick them was by rebooting the game and loading my last save. I became intimately familiar with the loading screen for a while there.

In the grand scheme of things, though, these were relatively minor complaints. I still highly recommend the game.
  56. Apr 19, 2021
    Gotta be honest, I only played Subnautica for the platinum trophy and during my playthrough the game seemed more like a half-finished proof of concept rather than a full on game. The bugs were horrendous and the crashes constant. My biggest fear wasn't the underwater monsters - it was the fact that my game could hard crash at any point for no reason.
  57. Apr 18, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. omg this game, omg. i was in love from beginning to end! the visuals are stunning and the audio is mesmerizing, you will loose all track of time in a very good way. its a MUST PLAY!!!!!! theres admittedly a few bugs but the response time from bug submitting to bug fixing update is insanely fast! it shows that they're actively listening and that they care about us, their players. please support the devs, they truly deserve sales and support. Expand
  58. Jul 28, 2019
    The game is super entertaining, A LOT OF FUN! The main problem is the game is super glitchy and buggy! First time I fell on a glitch and it bugged my 400hr save data. Which happened 2 times after that. Now I restarted on survival and 7 hours into it I got the nefarious prawn door glitch. The game is fun and very nice looking but not worth the headaches! I tried getting my money back sinceThe game is super entertaining, A LOT OF FUN! The main problem is the game is super glitchy and buggy! First time I fell on a glitch and it bugged my 400hr save data. Which happened 2 times after that. Now I restarted on survival and 7 hours into it I got the nefarious prawn door glitch. The game is fun and very nice looking but not worth the headaches! I tried getting my money back since the game is definitely broken for ps4 but sony threatened to block my account if I took any actions! Expand
  59. Feb 20, 2020
    The last game that made me **** my pants was Resident Evil 2 back in the day.

Subnautica was able to take one of my biggest fears of the dark underwater world and turn it into reality. There was days that i did not dare to go down below into the dark depths, i was on edge every time i climbed into my seamoth. Creators took a awesome idea and turned it into a master piece, the world
    The last game that made me **** my pants was Resident Evil 2 back in the day.

Creators took a awesome idea and turned it into a master piece, the world is superb with stunning visuals and a lot of diverse aquamarine life. The dark underwater creatures is a different story, still to this day i will only go down deep if i really need to.

This is a MUST PLAY for all gamer's that like survival type games.

Well done to the creators and cant wait for the second game.
  60. May 25, 2021
    A truly unique experience, i enjoyed it a lot despite all the bugs and poor performance issues
  61. Jan 11, 2020
    This game isn't perfect, so the score doesn't reflect perfection. It reflects setting out to achieve something and succeeding. Definitely a survival/base-building game that I would recommend. Great environment, great story, no FPS/combat mechanic (nice change of pace).

Some gripes: texture pop-ins, constantly having to check your crafting menu to find out what you need for crafting, quest/mission menu without progress tracker. forgetting what you had to do if you haven't played the game in a long time.
  62. Jan 13, 2020
    I LOVE this game to bits, I've watched Jacksepticeye play it on YouTube and decided to buy it for myself but whenever I play it the floor in some of the areas near the start of the game, I think it is where the early-game mushroom forest is, just doesn't spawn and it stops me from playing it because I don't want to get far in the game and then have it turn out I can't access some of theI LOVE this game to bits, I've watched Jacksepticeye play it on YouTube and decided to buy it for myself but whenever I play it the floor in some of the areas near the start of the game, I think it is where the early-game mushroom forest is, just doesn't spawn and it stops me from playing it because I don't want to get far in the game and then have it turn out I can't access some of the later areas that are down the holes which makes me worry about accidentally losing a prawn suit whenever I get to making one, I have submitted many reports about this in game on my PS4 and it has been months since I've played it because I wanted to give time to see if they'd update it but no such luck so PLEASE do something about it because this is one of my favourite games ever. It is because of this bug/glitch that I haven't given this game a 10 which I would have very gladly done otherwise. Please fix it I love your game SO MUCH Expand
  63. May 10, 2020
    Одна из лучших игр в этом жанре: прекрасная графика и геймплей. Единственный минус это немного плохая раскладка.
  64. Apr 26, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a gamer, this title holds a feeling of paradise: you have a full open ocean to explore, tons of items and vehicles to craft, and a vast array of creatures to study and learn about. The lore is intriguing, and the gameplay is fantastic. With all of this being said, I would recommend this game on PC, not PS4. Though I do not have a PC, my girlfriend is fully willing to let me use hers. Which I am thankful for, since I discovered the hard way that the console version of this game has atrocious, game breaking bugs. After every save, something about my Seamoth is violated: at one point it deleted all of my upgrade modules that I worked hard to get. Another time I had docked it in my Cyclops, and after I had disembarked to explore a wreckage and returned to my Cyclops, I had discovered that it had deleted my Seamoth entirely, though it claimed it was still docked. Furthermore, the scanner rooms will eventually develop a glitch where it will detect materials that are no longer there, or will detect the wrong materials. The crabsnakes, when trying to hide in the jellyshrooms, will glitch-float out of their hidey hole, sticking straight up like a pole, very clearly not hidden. Though not game breaking this last one does break immersion. Environment rendering is terrible, and sometimes I will even be able to swim directly through the incomplete rendered walls in caves, allowing me to escape with ease. I am unaware of if these bugs are in the PC version, but they are definitely in the PS4 version. Under normal circumstances, I would have been fine paying the 20 something odd dollars for this game, but as time passed, I wished it could be spent on Steam instead.

Now, I feel it important to note: the game itself is still amazing. I watched playthroughs from Markiplier in high school, and enjoyed watching it as much as he enjoyed playing it. I can only hope that the PC version is still better patched, more smooth, and does not contain the same bugs that exist to mess with my hard work and effort that lurk in the console version.

If the bugs were fixed, I would give this game a 9/10, maybe even a solid 10/10. But despite repetitive feedback submissions on my console, providing detailed descriptions of bugs and issues, there has been no addressing the issue from the devs, and I honestly doubt there ever will be.

Invest in the PC version, not the console. Avoid the console versions at all costs.
  65. Apr 30, 2020
    I love this game. It is so beautiful. It is a whole new genre when you are under water. Also the Story is good. The only thing that i have to complian are bugs.
  66. May 16, 2020
    Мне игра понравилась! 8 балов ставлю за слабую оптимизацию на ps 4: игра проседает привсплытии на поверхность, так же есть артефакты на базе, коих я не видел на компьютере.
  67. Jun 29, 2020
    Subnautica provided me the best gaming experience I've had since perhaps the first time I played Skyrim in 2011. It is the only survival game I've played and it sets the bar very high. The world was incredibly immersive, from biome design to sounds effect and even atmospheric music. You feel like you are in the water. Biomes range from colorful and fun to dark, eerie, and unsettling. TheSubnautica provided me the best gaming experience I've had since perhaps the first time I played Skyrim in 2011. It is the only survival game I've played and it sets the bar very high. The world was incredibly immersive, from biome design to sounds effect and even atmospheric music. You feel like you are in the water. Biomes range from colorful and fun to dark, eerie, and unsettling. The exploration and crafting are rewarding enough on their own, but on top of that, there is a story that needs to be pieced together by scanning items or discovering locations, never being hand-fed to you like most single player campaigns seem to do. I wholeheartedly enjoyed the story and the discovery aspect of it. The game can be anxiety inducing, as it playing on human's natural fear of the unknown and the depths of the ocean. But for me that just added to the fantastic overall experience.

This review is actually a 9.5, but that was not an option and I couldn't in good conscience leave a flat 9 for this game. This is due to some performance issues on the PS4 version. There are times that the ocean floor fails to load in while you are moving at high speeds, causing you to either have to stop moving and wait for it to catch up or risk having it load around you, trapping you in the environment. These issues did not really affect me, as the only times it happened I was able to reload my save and all issues were resolved. That being said, the devs did add "console commands" that are available to all versions of the game, not just PC, but I did not personally try them out. I would definitely not recommend letting some performance issues stop you from experiencing the masterpiece that is Subnautica.
  68. Nov 1, 2021
    С огромным удовольствием прошли вместе с ребёнком эту игру на ПК. Но когда решили перепройти её на консоли, то столкнулись с огромным колличеством багов. Это просто кошмар. Не завидую я тем, кто заплатил за это деньги.

With great pleasure we went through this game on PC together with the child (they gave a score of 10). But when we decided to re-run it on the console, we encountered a huge number of bugs. This is just a nightmare. I do not envy those who paid money for this.
  69. Jul 2, 2020
    This is the best game ever, I really enjoyed it. I've spent more than 200 hours, got the platinum trophy (ps4 version) and I'm totally willing to spend 100 hours more. I can't recommend this enough.
    10/10 Must play, totally worth your money!
  70. Jul 19, 2020
    This is a very beautiful game also I liked all this sea deferno which at the same time is very beautiful and sometimes even scares the graphics in the game on the strong 8 music strong 10 loved but on this version of the game there is an unload of the world and so on the crab you can fall for the card about this cape also in the game there are friezes while plunging out of the water andThis is a very beautiful game also I liked all this sea deferno which at the same time is very beautiful and sometimes even scares the graphics in the game on the strong 8 music strong 10 loved but on this version of the game there is an unload of the world and so on the crab you can fall for the card about this cape also in the game there are friezes while plunging out of the water and all the game fire all the advice! Expand
  71. Jul 21, 2020
    Awesome concept but has gamebreaking issues on the PS4 for example every time you return to the surface your PS4 will soil itself.
  72. Jun 6, 2021
    One of the best survival / base crafting game.

One of the best survival / base crafting game.

The game is pretty easy, but you will have to invest time in reading the document you find to understand the lore otherwise you'll find yourself with no clue about what to do next. You are on your own and you will have to think logically and be thorough in your exploration to progress through the story. Ending is good and rewarding which is very rare for this kind of game.

Graphics & Music are good and immersive. The gameplay is based on exploration and gets new everytime you build a new vehicle.

Combat is almost inexistant and should be avoided because it is not fun and fleeing is always a better option. AI is very poor and blind.

Technically the game suffers on basic ps4 to a point I had never seen before in my life: 3 min to load the last save, pop up delay almost game breaking because the plant or ore you're looking for does not appear while you're asphyxiating and last but not least, the game crashes every hour or so (save often or be bitter).

In conclusion, i'm really looking forward for the next iteration...but not on ps4.
  73. Jun 14, 2021
    Sorry but i cant give this game more than 6/10 i must admit that this game visually looks great but there are a lot of bugs in this game on ps4 version. I only played it because it was free.
  74. Feb 4, 2021
    I never thought I'd like swimming through an entire game, but somehow these developers have made it a joy. Subnautica is the survival genre at its approachable best.

The game is easy to get into, but presents various degrees of challenge as you go along. Hours and hours of grinding is an option, but it is not required. There's some story to follow if you choose and lore to discover throughout, but it's never overbearing if you choose to do your own thing. There's a beautiful and varied ocean to explore, terror to encounter, and futuristic sea technology to build.

I've got to knock it down to an 8 because I hit 10-15 bugs in my 20-hour playthrough. Getting stuck in walls, teleporting outside of submarines, etc. It felt like I just narrowly missed losing my whole save a few times. And the quick item select system is absurdly dysfunctional for a modern game.

But otherwise, it's a great game that I can't recommend more strongly, both to longtime fans of the survival genre and total newbies.

NOTE: Can't speak to the PS4 experience, as it runs great on my PS5 in 2021.
  75. Aug 4, 2022
    Subnautica is so far one of the best games I've ever enjoyed, I felt like I have been into a sea adventure.
    The environment of the game is so diverse and beautiful, the amount of biomes, sea creatures, plants, and buildings that you can construct just like Minecraft, all these details combined together made an absolute masterpiece, however the least appealing part of the game is the amount of bugs I encountered.
    Although the bugs the game has something to rebalance itself, it's the storyline, a perfectly well-written story.
  76. Apr 4, 2021
    One of my favourite game nowadays.
    Sometimes you get scared of the totally unknown place, creature that you see. Good story, absolutely great soundtrack, good open world, great concept and good atmosphere.
    Even though it haves some technical issues still a great game.
    If you like survival based games without micro transactions this game is a must have.
  77. Apr 17, 2021
    Game is a blast, but runs like absolute sh*t. Takes 5 minutes to load and lags every time I press a button. Oh, and schools of fish and even grass clip through your base, completely ruining any immersion.

Would easily have been 9 or 10 if not for the performance.
  78. May 1, 2021
    Very good survival game, a story line is in place but no time constraints and progress at your own pace. It is very much collecting and crafting, a fair bit of repetitive game play but that is the part I like. Base building, vehicle research and then crafting are all done at a great pace and the voice prompts at the start of the game are very informative. Everything can be re read at yourVery good survival game, a story line is in place but no time constraints and progress at your own pace. It is very much collecting and crafting, a fair bit of repetitive game play but that is the part I like. Base building, vehicle research and then crafting are all done at a great pace and the voice prompts at the start of the game are very informative. Everything can be re read at your own pace via your PDA. Expand
  79. Jul 23, 2022
    The game is absolutely amazing in every point, the only thing that ruined my game experience was the several crashes more than 15 times on my PS4 pro with an SSD hard drive.
  80. Jun 25, 2021
    Boring, tedious and glitchy. Suck-Nautica is more like it. Enjoy using a knife and goofy cannon as there are no weapons in the game. Enjoy your submarine if you can due to all the maintenance with batteries and bs like fires. It‘s a game that should be or could be really fun but just isn’t at all.
  81. Jun 6, 2021
    It's a one of the best survival game that i played. The game environment is fantastic with beautiful biomes and graphics. The game has a good history and the gameplay is balanced. For PS4, the game has some issues related to graphic optimization but that doesn't hinder the gameplay.
  82. Jun 27, 2021
    Subnautica, an awesome indie game about ocean exploration and surviving in a world isolated by a quarentine by a superior race, that is trying to find out a cure for a disease. It presents an unexplored world and quite graphically polished. The number of creatures and the story that we are following through the strange radio messages of other shipwrecks on the planet, will lead us to aSubnautica, an awesome indie game about ocean exploration and surviving in a world isolated by a quarentine by a superior race, that is trying to find out a cure for a disease. It presents an unexplored world and quite graphically polished. The number of creatures and the story that we are following through the strange radio messages of other shipwrecks on the planet, will lead us to a much greater challenge: discover the secrets of this fantastic planet, who passed before and its predators.

But it is not the typical game of swimming and getting material, what makes it different and so pleasant is the wide range of fantastic creatures that we can find, other shipwrecks, also the great music makes the game an unforgettable experience.

We started in a life-saving capsule and with almost no resources, and our mission was to create a habitat, survive and face predators while discovering the great aurora and the history that surrounds the planet.

I was very impressed by this indie masterpiece, although there always some not good things, some fps drops are presented, the initial loading screen takes a long time and we can find some quite exaggerated bugs, but all this is countered by the wonderful atmosphere of the game, biomes, creatures, music, vehicles, possibility to farm a large number of plants, etc.

In these 50 hours that I have invested in the game, I have discovered how fantastic it is, tricks and history. 9/10 I definitely recommend playing this indie masterpiece made by Unkown Worlds Entertainment. Congratulations on the fantastic game you have made. Must play.
  83. Jun 28, 2021
    A masterpiece! Had to deduct a point just for some amount of glitchiness. It's an amazing experience that nobody should miss out on.
  84. Nov 15, 2021
    A true hidden gem of a game. Came out of nowhere and landed itself in my Top10 of this console generation. If it had co-op I'd have given it a 10. So good.
  85. Nov 27, 2021
    Great game with amazing atmosphere at times. The collecting of materials to build gets really addictive.
  86. Dec 27, 2021
    El mejor juego de supervivencia que he jugado, con una historia sorprendente que se va revelando según exploramos. Totalmente inolvidable!
  87. Aug 7, 2022
    Восхитительный мир! Прекрасные локации, биомы, флора, фауна и предметы будущего! Очень необычная игра, которая покажет тебе красоту подводного мира! Здесь ты будешь бояться глубины, но потихоньку преодолеешь этот страх, благодаря апгрейдам техники и пониманию фауныВосхитительный мир! Прекрасные локации, биомы, флора, фауна и предметы будущего! Очень необычная игра, которая покажет тебе красоту подводного мира! Здесь ты будешь бояться глубины, но потихоньку преодолеешь этот страх, благодаря апгрейдам техники и пониманию фауны

Generally favorable reviews - based on 18 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Mar 25, 2019
    The PS4 edition of the brilliant survival game has some performance problems (framerate dropping, environment popping up really badly if you travel fast) and navigating in three dimensions is much less intuitive with a controller than with a mouse, which did cost me my life sometimes. These flaws do not disqualify the console port though, so if you can’t enjoy Subnautica on PC, consider giving it a shot on PS4, as there are very few such games nowadays. [02/2019, p.35]
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Jan 27, 2019
    Few games are this consistently surprising, let alone this well designed. [Issue#158, p.88]
  3. Jan 15, 2019
    I have rarely seen a game go from being absolutely sublime to absolutely awful, but Subnautica manages to pull it off. The first 25-30 hours are a superb sci-fi survival experience that I would happily recommend to anyone, and I’ll cherish that time under the waves for years to come. But the endgame? It really does ruin a good thing. If the first chunk of the adventure were scored on its own, it would rate much higher. But as a complete experience? The issues are too large to ignore.