8.5

1. Oct 13, 2017
    That's a very good second entrance from Tango we got here.

I've just beaten the game in Nightmare and I was overall delighted with the way the game handles its new orientation. It has an interesting way of delivering its core elements to the player. The whole game is taking place in the city of Union, pivotal place giving off plenty of room for exploration through semi-open areas.
    That's a very good second entrance from Tango we got here.

The whole game is taking place in the city of Union, pivotal place giving off plenty of room for exploration through semi-open areas. The game design is thought in such a way that you alternate between narrow places focusing on frenzied chase scenes and more open scenery prone to exploration. As far as I'm concerned the parts unfolding "inside" were the most thrilling as it's mainly during those closed sequences that the real survival/horrific touch springs. I recommend playing in Nightmare because the challenge is present and also because the game design choices won't make you feel uncomfortable or frustrated in any way. If you plan your escape properly relying on infiltration (you'll have to do so in Nightmare, trust me) the outcome will be rewarding because you'll save bullets and also sweat a lot from time to time for fear of getting your head topped off - some death scenes are horrendously graphic, good thing in a TEW game. While sometimes you'll be forced to run as fast as you can, you'll also have to bring out the big underloaded guns so as to make heads fall off. Given that ammunition is more a of rare commodity in this mode (though the lack never turns out to be an artificial attempt to spice up the global challenge if you thoroughly search your surroundings) shooting at enemies will always require a good aim just as did the first episode and this is an important element when it comes to inducing anxiousness. The game itself is not as terrifying as an Amnesia or Outlast primarily because of this alternation between the inside and the outside - the outside being thought as a way to take a breather between two insane sequences.

The atmosphere is absolutely riveting and spine-tiggling. Both the pretty graphics (especially on PC) and FX sounds are the root of this result. A lot of questions find answers and the scenario more personal this time is very pleasant to follow. I find it good that the developers put Sebastian in the center of the plot this time. It was high time they set him forth. He's a lot more well written than before, giving rise to a more human, touching and sensitive figure. Big up to Stefano Valentini who is to my mind the best-rendered ingame antagonist alongside Obscura.

Good Points :
    - Well-written story
    - Stefano Valentini has a great fu*ked up personality
    - Pretty-looking (especially on PC)
    - More accurate aiming system than in the first
    - Shooting, running and stealth scenes feel good
    - Awesome bestiary chara design, gruesomely beautiful enemies (Well Sebastian's definitely a classy detective)
    - Quite lengthy for such a game (20h)
    - Smartly implemented crafting system
    - The bosses (Stefano)
    - Clearer story
    - Alternations inside/outside, a good idea...

Negative points :
    - ...resulting in a less blistering terror pace
    - Rigid animations (movements)
    - Minor collision bugs

This game doesn't revolutionize anything but the execution of its mechanics is indubitably qualitative. We get to delve into a hellacious story with many strong points one should definitely consider experiencing. Do not expect this game to turn your blood into ice like Outlast or Amnesia because it's not as terrifying (neither was the first game btw) but do expect however a wacko journey that will have you venture into a twisted and impressively well rendered mad world where rationalism seems to be an intruder. A really good experience. If you loved the first iteration of the series and are fond of singular survival-horror experiences, you definitely should consider giving TEW 2 a try.
  2. Oct 13, 2017
    this game is big improvement about anything
    the graphic are amazing, game-play improves very well, great story, awesome characters, challenging boss fights and many more
    i highly recommend this game to buy it
  3. Oct 13, 2017
    Really good game, I was slightly worried when I saw the critics meta score yesterday as I loved the first game and love this kind of genre in general. Firstly, the graphics are absolutely gorgeous! A few critics had commented that the graphics had regressed in some way, but I have absolutely no idea what they're on about, the graphics are seriously great. As for the gameplay, it's bags ofReally good game, I was slightly worried when I saw the critics meta score yesterday as I loved the first game and love this kind of genre in general. Firstly, the graphics are absolutely gorgeous! A few critics had commented that the graphics had regressed in some way, but I have absolutely no idea what they're on about, the graphics are seriously great. As for the gameplay, it's bags of fun, it's like a combination of the first evil within with silent hill 2 and also the last of us (in terms of stealthing about a semi-open world scavenging for decent loot and either sneaking past enemies or taking them on) the atmosphere is very tense in a fun way, much like resident evil 7 in that sense, it's tense... but not that paralysing dread that you get from the first game, which isn't a bad thing in this game, it's just different (but still good). The atmosphere also loosens up just slightly when you explore around which is cool so you can look around without crapping your pants, but they do a good job of building up to the next inevitable big horror moment, and also jump scares will get you at irregular intervals, which are pretty well done. Really good game and looking forward to getting back on it later on. An absolute must play for horror fans. Expand
  4. Oct 13, 2017
    Wow, this game is amazing and incredible horror game ever i playing.. graphic is great, gameplay is great and fun with stealth to kill enemies.. story is interesting between Seb, Lily, Juli and other characters.. crafting weapons is fun.
  5. Oct 13, 2017
    um dos melhores jogos de survivor horror na minha opinião, referente ao primeiro jogo ele foi muito melhorado e teve adições excelente como fazer munições , o mundo não tão linear quando ao seu antecessor e inimigos memoráveis. the evil within 2 eu super recomendo para quem gosta de survivor horror, vida longa a essa franquia.
  6. Oct 13, 2017
    Really good game, I was slightly worried when I saw the critics meta score yesterday as I loved the first game, The Evil Within 2 is a slightly above average horror game with pretty looking graphics
  7. Sep 26, 2018
    Deutsche Review - Kritik Der folgende Test ist in 5 Kategorien zusammengefasst. Diese 5 Kartegorien ergeben die Gesamtpunktzahl von 0 - 100 Punkten. Um einen passenden Userscore zu geben wird auf oder abgerundet. Bei 84 Punkten ergibt das einen User Score von 8. Bei 86 einen von Userscore von 9. Falls eine 85 kommt entscheide ich ob ich es eher positiv oder negativ nehme. RegelnDeutsche Review - Kritik Der folgende Test ist in 5 Kategorien zusammengefasst. Diese 5 Kartegorien ergeben die Gesamtpunktzahl von 0 - 100 Punkten. Um einen passenden Userscore zu geben wird auf oder abgerundet. Bei 84 Punkten ergibt das einen User Score von 8. Bei 86 einen von Userscore von 9. Falls eine 85 kommt entscheide ich ob ich es eher positiv oder negativ nehme. Regeln verstanden? Dann sind hier meine Punkte. Mein persönlicher Score = 93/100 Mein User Score = 9/10 Expand
  8. Jan 20, 2018
    La única pega que le pongo es que esperaba algo de Ruvik. No hay un villano como tal salvo Mobius y el rollo empresa conspiratoria está ya muy visto, la verdad (Abstergo, Umbrella). El resto del videojuego es una pasada, aunque me esperaba algo más sorprendente. Se ha causalizado, lo cual no quiere decir que sea un problema. Al menos los fps son estables, no como su antecesor
  9. May 18, 2020
    A worthy follow to an already amazing game. The evil within 2 is so good it makes the the first one good aswell its a beautiful survival horror game.
  10. Apr 13, 2018
    the evil within 2 jogo com uma historia mais consistente que o primeiro titulo! mais variedade de exploração personagem esta mais determinado do que no primeiro titulo pois agora tem um grande incentivo para isso! gráficos lindíssimos e cenários criativos e deferentes entre sí! trilha sonora épica que combina com enredo! PERFEITO!!!!
  11. Sep 11, 2018
    A step in the right direction. A sequel can be done right with the right amount of effort and be made in such great fashion. The Evil Within 2 has improved the wrong parts and made the game more fun and scary. I was actually scared and shocked at many parts, especially that freaky multi head monster. Now, I love the open world aspect. So much exploration and hidden secrets to find,A step in the right direction. A sequel can be done right with the right amount of effort and be made in such great fashion. The Evil Within 2 has improved the wrong parts and made the game more fun and scary. I was actually scared and shocked at many parts, especially that freaky multi head monster. Now, I love the open world aspect. So much exploration and hidden secrets to find, goodies to earn, THAT was a great idea for a sequel, if they make a third one, they need to keep the open world exploration function, but keep it guessing for players, as in to make all the nooks and crannies unpredictable surprises. I also love that you carry more bottles and it has multi functions and upgrades to use them, like smashing them in enemies faces to break free of their grip, and save your health in the process. I have to say this is a worthy sequel and its fantastic from beginning to end. I hope there is future DLC that improve the story more, I also like the FPS mode for those who enjoy seeing the monsters up close and personal. The only thing missing is those invisible enemies, I have to say they would have been more creative in this game and chances to scare the players one more time. Expand
  12. Oct 2, 2018
    Absolutamente recomendable para cualquier amante del survival horror de la vieja escuela.
    Una gran alternativa a la decepcionante entrega que hizo Capcom con "Resident Evil 7", una historia entretenida, graficos excelentes, jugabilidad buena, variedad de armas y enemigos, un modo de difilcutad clasico totalmente rejugable y desafiante.
  13. Nov 24, 2018
    The Master Shinji Mikami and John Johanas has made a great terror game for the second time we have the best
  14. Aug 1, 2019
    I bought the first part of the evil within on ps3 and ps4 in both the digital and disk versions. I bought the second part of the evil within 2 on ps4 in both the digital and disk versions. passed the game many times on all difficulties and periodically re-pass! in my opinion this is a masterpiece !! thanks tango and look forward to continuing)!
  15. Nov 8, 2017
    The Evil Within 2 is a great sequel to the first The Evil Within. If your a fan of the original than you'll enjoy this one and people that want to jump into this one without playing the first one can definitely do so as it does a great job of explaining the people and what's going on.

The game has a mix of small open world and linear gameplay but it transitions well and doesn't feel awkward. The game plays nice and there wasn't any major bugs or glitches that hinder the game so the game felt really polished. Part of the reason I'm giving it an 8 and not higher is because this game feels less scary than the first one mostly because of the open world. It's not that scary being chased by a monster when you got a big place to run around in. However the game does have it's moments of scares.

One thing that I liked about The Evil Within 2 compared to the first one is the better story. The last one was good but you were confused throughout the whole game on what's going on and at the end you were left wondering what were the ties between the protagonist and the people inside STEM. In this one, the story ties everything together nicely. You find out why you were the one to be affected by the events and why you go back in and your ties to the other characters in the game like Kidman.

The game was pretty lengthy. It took me about 20 hours of playing in regular mode and thoroughly searching the area for hidden objects to beat the game (and I didn't even find everything). There is new game plus after you beat it to keep playing with all your inventory from the previous save. I would recommend that if your a veteran of the series and horror games in general to play in harder difficulty as normal just felt easy.

There is also stealth in the game. You can hide from enemies and even do stealth kills. This actually ended up being my main method of taken down the regular baddies since It conserves ammo. The stealth is done really well and you don't feel screwed were your attempting to sneak up on an enemy and they just turn around and spot you for no reason.

Overall I feel this is a solid game for the money. The story is interesting and the game lengthy enough to warrant the full price. The game feels nicely polished and the graphics are really good.
  16. Jan 1, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As far as zombie games are concerned this game was everything a fan could expect. Story was interesting, the cinematics were amazing, and the game mechanics were pretty fluid for the most part. The mid game gets a little bit trickier but nothing that is unbearable for frequent survival game players. The skill tree makes a pretty noticeable difference on the gameplay that Sebastian follows throughout the 22 hour journey. Frequent rewards for zombie killing and gel collecting keep the game refreshing. There are also some great boss battles to look forward to. Without spoiling too much no too boss battles are that similar. Nothing repetitive about these encounters in the slightest. Expand
  17. Nov 7, 2017
    I can't believe this game even exist. It's truly masterpiece and i am so angry that people prefer to buy **** "orc-game" with loot crates instead of this rare gem. If you want good games like this one in future you must buy Evil Within 2 right now. God, i hope someday i will get game like this again. Evil Within 2 it's like one in lifetime event.
  18. Mar 3, 2018
    This game is just amazing! The narration is so much better than the first opus, graphically, the game has evolved a lot. Many improvements that will have paid off. I highly recommend this game!
  19. Nov 5, 2017
    I have been a survival horror fan since Resident Evil 2. Evil within has exceeded my expectations, this is similar to last of us and resident evil 4 and if you are a fan of survival horror boot this game up and play nightmare awesome experience.
  20. Oct 13, 2017
    The first game was a goofy over the top romp through pools of blood, huge guys with chainsaws and a creepy spider chick that just won't effing die. It was sloppy, it wasn't particularly scary outside of some jump scares but it was more about just wading waist deep in pools of gore and dead bodies.

The second one is much tighter, cleaner and more focused on what it is, a spiritual successor to the old resident evil/silent hill type of survival horror games. The first game had the shifting world, since it was all a construct of the collective unconscious. This one so far makes use of that in MUCH better ways. Something will catch your eye, for example very early on there is a large painting of a door on the wall, the room is covered in ribbons and you walk up to the painting because the lights are on it, it is the center of focus in the room, you expect something to pop out at you from the painting but instead as soon as you get close enough, the world behind you changes and suddenly the exact same door that is in the painting appears right behind you. If you look around the side of the where the door is, there is nothing behind it but when you open the door and walk through it takes you somewhere totally different with a vivid slow motion artistic rendering of one of the mobius team members you're searching for being shot in the head. The scene repeats itself over and over, the man just keeps getting shot in the head, leaving a spray blood in the air and slowly falling backwards til suddenly it all repeats.

My point is - the game will mess with you. Nothing is what it seems, the world around you constantly shifts, at least in these more scripted parts. The first game did this as well, but this iteration does it with MUCH more finesse. The photographer who is setting up these tableaux of people at the moment of death is creepy as hell, teleporting around appearing from nowhere making the world change around you. The monster that he sends to greet you is over the top insane made from cobbled together bodies and a circular saw. So the slasher movie aesthetic is definitely still there, but again it is MUCH more refined. Less just about raw gore and being grotesque for the sake of being grotesque.

Once you get into the meat of the game it becomes a very solid survival horror game, complete with a variety of weapons, tactics, abilities. The meat of it is very solid. Underneath all the mindbending weirdness is a robust game. I enjoyed the first one for what it was but it never really achieved its full potential. The more open world approach is really fun, you get to pick from door A, B, C, D or E and whichever one you pick you know there will be something crazy going on inside and that it will likely end with you being swarmed by monsters.

They've also done a MUCH better job with sebastian in this game. In the first, i didn't care about him as a protagonist at all. I didnt care about his wife or his daughter. The only hint you had that they even existed was some randomly scattered journals that you would find by mirrors that would give you a bit of boring backstory. They had a kid she died blah blah blah who cares.

This game, instead of just being gruff and gravelly sebastian has much more personality, he interacts with other characters and even if its a bit cliche he is searching for his daughter who he thought was dead, you actually see and hear the daughter which makes her more real as a character. The plot itself isn't amazing but the world it takes place in definitely is.

Is this a 10/10 game? No. But it is very good. It is worth the 60$ price tag if you like survival horror at all, This and resident evil biohazard will probably be the best survival horror games of the last 4 to 5 years (maybe alien isolation). Im giving it a 9, not that it really matters user scores are so subjective people find one flaw with a game and give it a 0, do not play, worst game ever or fanboys just blindly throw 10's willingly overlooking actual flaws.

But honestly this is a very solid game, if you like the genre do buy it. You will not regret it. If you played the first one and weren't impressed, i was too. I enjoyed it but it was pretty meh overall. This game improves on pretty much every aspect of the first. Do yourself a favor and give Evil Within another shot. This one is worth playing.
  21. Oct 17, 2017
    Average score 7.6 ??
    Are you fkn kidding me?
    These game-review websites are funded by big corporations to piss on smaller game companies, this will affect sales and future titles of these companies. Eventually they will be forced to merge into larger game companies, it's a tactic to get rid of the competition. Don't be fooled by these poor reviews. The Evil Within 2 is just as
    Average score 7.6 ??
    Are you fkn kidding me?

Don't be fooled by these poor reviews.

The Evil Within 2 is just as good as Resident Evil 4.

And i'm honestly having allot more fun with this game than i had with ''The Last of Us''.
    It might be a matter of taste, but this game really doesn't deserve such a LOW score.

I got Platinum for The Evil Within 1, and i intend to get it for this one aswell.

I would never be able to do that if the game was bad/average or boring.
  22. Oct 14, 2017
    Brilliant game. This is the Resident Evil Capcom cant make anymore.

Gameplay, Graphics, Sound, Atmosphere, Story, Voice Acting all Top Notch!

If you like Survival Horror or Resident Evil this is a MUST BUY:
  23. Oct 13, 2017
    Great gameplay, good atmosphere, and a couple of scares make this game a solid purchase for those who are craving a good survival horror experience. If you liked EW1 then you will def like this as well.
  24. Oct 14, 2017
    This is an incredible sequel to the first and shows that the developers have really improved not only with the graphics but the level and a.i. design too and of course the main story is great as well as the return of two characters and the introduction of a few others. Like with the first game this is obviously a horror survival game meaning you can't just run into a horse of enemies andThis is an incredible sequel to the first and shows that the developers have really improved not only with the graphics but the level and a.i. design too and of course the main story is great as well as the return of two characters and the introduction of a few others. Like with the first game this is obviously a horror survival game meaning you can't just run into a horse of enemies and take them on with a bottle and pistol whip them as that will pretty much be game over and a second thought and planning on what you need to do. Some gamers aren't a fan of that and so if you're not a fan of that type of gaming aspect then sadly this game isn't for you but with some of its new upgrade features I'd say give it a try as you might like it more then you think as now with the mentioned features you can not only upgrade your characters abilities like more health/damage/stamina but now can upgrade weapons to be more powerful and effective as well as a few other kinks like smoke bombs and such.
    The enemies you'll encounter are imaginative and terrifying just like the first game and showing the creative minds the game developers had in making these creatures and you'll also run into a few megalomaniacs who have been warped by their ideals and perverse natures in the virtual world Sebastian and others find themselves trapped in. This game is a great release both with how entertaining it is but also with it being the month of Halloween it's a game you can play to keep you entertained and terrified this October 31st when the ghouls,ghosts and goblins walk our streets this Halloween night.
  25. Oct 13, 2017
    I love most of these scary type games. Will try to keep this and not reveal anything if you're planning on getting it. To me though, this game is a cross between resident evil and silent hill. The graphics are about resident evil 7, some scenes look better then others, but nothing state of the art. lots of gore and blood. Gameplay seems to be too scripted sometimes, but enough scares toI love most of these scary type games. Will try to keep this and not reveal anything if you're planning on getting it. To me though, this game is a cross between resident evil and silent hill. The graphics are about resident evil 7, some scenes look better then others, but nothing state of the art. lots of gore and blood. Gameplay seems to be too scripted sometimes, but enough scares to keep it interesting! Expand
  26. Oct 13, 2017
    Toda a ambientação direção de arte e som desse jogo estão incríveis alem do clima de terror muito bem feito. Além da Historia que tambem esta muito boa. Esse jogo é um grande salto de qualidade comparado como 1 the evil within
  27. Oct 14, 2017
    REALLY DONT UNDERSTAND THE 0 this game is ttotall new from the first one everything haa changed for the best if you dont notice that you must have problem with your eyes... The fire system cover upgrade and the fact its a n open world creature has changed to EVERYTHINGS
  28. Oct 25, 2017
    The evil within gives you just enough of everything to keep you hooked,.. exploration, crafting and combat options. but doesn't master anything. its the jack of all trades Master of none horror title. a bit of silent hill, meets a bit of Last of us. Bit of resi evil here, a bit of nightmare on elm street there.

the game is pretty enough for a 2017 title, but not the best we've seen.

the game is pretty enough for a 2017 title, but not the best we've seen. enemies aren't that diverse either - zombie things, then bigger zombie things and then crawling zombie things....you get the point. When your character runs around there is a lack of animations on the character in terms of his body movement and turning, but that could be just me being petty cause I've played too much uncharted. But if you've played uncharted 4 or lost legacy you will know what I mean by "movement and animations".

Combat is the best bit, good weapon choices and upgrades and stealth options gives plenty of variety and the menus , changing crossbow bolts and figuring things out is a dream.

Story is ok, not that far into it yet. alcoholic John Wick trying to find his daughter (Keanu Reeves to play Sebastian in the movie?) couple of interesting points, but lacks the quality of storytelling and dramatic voiceover/acting that you get from other games. and with it being his 2nd run into STEM he seems pretty stupid. He talks like everything is new to him and feels very B movie.

Not that scary, but im fine with that, creepy music and a few jump scares to make you tense is enough for me. I don't like it when I dread going round each corner expecting to have a heart attack. This is just enough dosage.

Overall a 8, because its a solid game ,with plenty of variety that gives you enough of everything to keep you entertained, but isn't particularly special in any department.
  29. Oct 18, 2017
    I liked the game a lot, however first one was much much scarier and harder too... Also I think it was a mistake to extend Sebastian's story it is just silly that his daughter is back from the dead... Another thing worth noting is that 2nd part feels much more like silent hill 2 or 3 than first part of Evil Within... Still a good game
  30. Oct 13, 2017
    this game is god damn fantastic game ever i playing.. Great job Tango Gamework.. please make part 3 with upgrade engine is Id Tech 6.. graphic is beautiful and fantastic.. atmosphere and environments look great.. Enemies are sometimes bad like they run around me while i aiming and run around behind him.. story is very interesting
  31. Oct 14, 2017
    A very different game compared to the original but its an improvement overall. The sandbox style gameplay gives players more thrilling gameplay as exploration may either yield in rewards such as loot or to their impending doom in the form of terrifying creatures that inhabit Union City. The game's excellent in setting up the horrific atmosphere with shap lighting and great audio design.A very different game compared to the original but its an improvement overall. The sandbox style gameplay gives players more thrilling gameplay as exploration may either yield in rewards such as loot or to their impending doom in the form of terrifying creatures that inhabit Union City. The game's excellent in setting up the horrific atmosphere with shap lighting and great audio design. It's not a game for everyone but definitely a GOTY candidate for me. Expand
  32. Oct 14, 2017
    What a sequel! I first wanna say I did enjoy the first game and I thought it wasn't well received as I thought it should have been, but they improved it in almost every way they possibly could, and it seems the common consensus with people they agree with me. The combat is finely tuned and the moment to moment gameplay feels a lot more satisfying. The open map is really awesome too and itWhat a sequel! I first wanna say I did enjoy the first game and I thought it wasn't well received as I thought it should have been, but they improved it in almost every way they possibly could, and it seems the common consensus with people they agree with me. The combat is finely tuned and the moment to moment gameplay feels a lot more satisfying. The open map is really awesome too and it lets you roam around the area and explore the mini maps you are in. The story is good as was the first one. I feel that the last one had a stronger story, but it was hidden behind some poor choices in the game. This one still has a strong one, but it was a little more conventional, which is fine since people were a little confused with the last one. Him going back into STEM trying to save his lost daughter did bring a little more of an emotional depth for the story. Now where I think where the game lacks is the Villain(s). They are interesting especially the Artist, but with at least him that's kinda all we got about him, But he did make for an interesting villain, just not as strong as Ruvik. The game is broken up in 17 chapters and the first 8 are completely different from the last 9. Some might not like the change of pace, but for me I didn't mind it. All in all a great sequel and a worthwhile time. You will probably complete the game in roughly 13-15HRS by doing story alone, but I recommend playing the side missions too and listening to logs and memories, which will add on another 5 hours. Expand
  33. Oct 19, 2017
    Sorry Metro Game Central, but you and I clearly didn't play the same game.
    This is a vast improvement over an already valid game, which manages to enrich every aspect of the previous installment while providing new and exciting twists.
    Sorry Metro Game Central, but you and I clearly didn't play the same game.
    The gameplay is a winning combination of stealth, exploration, combat, puzzles and crafting, the writing - while not always perfect - makes a great pair with editing and voice acting. The overall game design and artistic direction are great, the soundtrack ranges from moving to epic, and don't make me start about the ending... one of the most satisfactory conclusions in years.
    Thanks to a great game direction, The Evil Within 2 shines on its own (while providing answers for the questions left open by its predecessor) and turns out to be the biggest surprise of 2017 so far, along with NieR: Automata.
    Do a favor to the quality games industry and buy it now.
  34. Oct 17, 2017
    This one caught me by surprise, it`s a really great experience! At first, after playing the first chapters, I wasn`t sure what to think about it because the tone and the pacing are different to its` predecessor. But it`s a game that grows and grows. It has a thrilling story, nice atmosphere and highly entertaining gunplay.
  35. Oct 16, 2017
    Evil Within 2 is fantastic, pure and simple. As a fan of the first, this game improves on greatness. Much more depth, with upgrading, and ammo crafting. Large, open areas to explore, including many buildings as well as outdoor environments. Great, dark atmosphere. Varying enemies, with various strengths and weaknesses. Fun character interaction. After being out and about, its always soEvil Within 2 is fantastic, pure and simple. As a fan of the first, this game improves on greatness. Much more depth, with upgrading, and ammo crafting. Large, open areas to explore, including many buildings as well as outdoor environments. Great, dark atmosphere. Varying enemies, with various strengths and weaknesses. Fun character interaction. After being out and about, its always so nice to return to safe houses offering various benefits. The story builds on the first, which, if you played the Kidman 2 part dlc, you know the revelations that made it so, so good. Sebastian Castellanos is such a great, and favorite character of mine.
    Shinji Mikami does not disappoint. The man is just great at what he does. I feel this game is the culmination of every game Mikami has worked on in his career. This (and the first one, honestly ), are the pinnacle of his work. As a survival horror fan, this game is brilliant, and at the top of my game of the year list, alongside the likes of Nioh, Breath of the Wild, Hellblade, and Persona 5.
  36. Nov 6, 2017
    So much memories for me in this game, just in the chapter 3 I see the zombies in resident evil and that's not a prob at all, walking along the street and keep searching, feeling like a return to Silent hill trip with all new story building.
    Then fighting Smoker when I only have a few bullets left (holly **** and then try to sneak kill the Witch but it's still alive and then...( surprise MF lol), then fall on the ground with 2 "Flash" Jockey. all leaf 4 dead minions but you'r not a machine gun anymore...
    The last thing in chapter really scared the **** out of me when she (may be from MaMa movie) singing the safe room song and keep looking for my every steps lol
    Still fighting...
  37. Nov 8, 2017
    Great game. I did not played the first one, just watched some trailers and a longplay. Finished it with nightmare level (my first playthrough, tried others later) and it was the right choice with more enemies/dangerous enemies. Casual and survival levels are way too easy if you are experienced with survival horror and shooting games. The game is a little better in the first chapters whenGreat game. I did not played the first one, just watched some trailers and a longplay. Finished it with nightmare level (my first playthrough, tried others later) and it was the right choice with more enemies/dangerous enemies. Casual and survival levels are way too easy if you are experienced with survival horror and shooting games. The game is a little better in the first chapters when you only have few skills opened in skill tree, later it becomes more "Sebastians ownage" with many perks and weapons. Very cool graphics, excellent music, good length (took 27 hours with nightmare) . Only minus comes from the bosses, some of them are too easy and predictable. But on the opposite side some of them are pretty hard before you find out right tactics. Open world is cool with freedom to choose your way. In the later chapters game gets more linear. Great ending also, I don't want to spoil any details about it. Expand
  38. Oct 26, 2017
    Please trust the User scores for this one - Critic score doesn't give the game enough credit.

Tense, atmospheric survival horror with a great story. A good mixture of games like Dead Space, Silent Hill 2 and The Last of Us. Relatively good crafting and upgrading system, similar to the first game but a little more fleshed out. Lots of sneaking around and saving vital resources and lots of incredibly well made psychological horror sections. Chapter 5 was a personal favourite of mine. In general, the gun combat feels weighty and satisfying, and the scares are memorable.

Without spoiling anything - I was surprised by how well fleshed out the story was by the end of the game. When the credits rolled after my 20 hours with the game, I felt a sense of accomplishment and closure. I will be playing this a second time in New Game Plus to max out my skills and weapon upgrades and hopefully find some more Key items.

If you enjoy horror, I'm sure you will love this game. Great soundtrack and sound design, chilling environments and cool enemy designs. We haven't had a good third-person horror game on the PS4 in a long time, and this is one is not to be missed.

Oh, and don't bother with melee combat (with the exception of stealth kills), it's pretty useless. This game is more about resource management and using your weapons wisely. People complaining about melee are missing the point - It's purposefully not a melee focused game. In my opinion, this makes the game more tense and gives ammo management a sense of importance.

visuals are pretty good, with some really great areas and lighting effects. For the most part, faces look good, but facial animation is weak in some parts. Mostly though, good animation. No real complaints here, it's a good looking game most of the time.

Overall, fantastic. One of my favourite games of the year. Great job and a worthy purchase!
  39. Dec 1, 2017
    A massive improvement on the first game in almost all aspects, the developers here really listened to the complaints of the first game and changed alot of what made that game terrible to better set the scene for this game. While the same super bland characters from the first game are back, they are given a bit of new life here with the way the story presents itself. Bout the only problem IA massive improvement on the first game in almost all aspects, the developers here really listened to the complaints of the first game and changed alot of what made that game terrible to better set the scene for this game. While the same super bland characters from the first game are back, they are given a bit of new life here with the way the story presents itself. Bout the only problem I had with the game was the collision detection and sometimes you'd go for a melee hit and see your character swing through them but nothing registered. It happened frequently enough to where it really caused me some problems and a few deaths because I couldn't open or a door running away from enemies. In the end though, second time is a charm for Shinji Mikami and his new crew. With the obvious reference to DLC coming, I can only hope that he can continue the success here and make a new unforgettable horror series going forwards. Expand
  40. Nov 10, 2017
    This was my first The Evil Within experience so unlike just about everyone else on here I will not be comparing it to the first one! It was also my first proper go at survival horror as a genre. Short answer - I really, REALLY, enjoyed it....until I gave up. I played up to Chapter 9 on survival mode and found it a steep learning curve and pretty challenging at times but just aboutThis was my first The Evil Within experience so unlike just about everyone else on here I will not be comparing it to the first one! It was also my first proper go at survival horror as a genre. Short answer - I really, REALLY, enjoyed it....until I gave up. I played up to Chapter 9 on survival mode and found it a steep learning curve and pretty challenging at times but just about manageable by really taking my time and being very stealthy. And I had a blast - loved it! Then I'm very sad to say I hit a wall with several back to back sections that were totally in your face, nowhere to go, stealth not an option, and I just didn't have the ammo or the skill to power through. After dying over....and over....and over.......oh, and over....again I got too frustrated and quit. I did try and lower the difficulty to casual rather than quit but it didn't seem to make a noticeable difference. As a review this may not be very relevant to most reading this but I wanted to present my experience as an inexperienced gamer who is new to the genre. I thought visually it was good, enjoyed the game play though for some reason I found the controls seriously slow and mushy in close up encounters (may be my settings?) , the story was good enough to pull me forward and all in all I think it's a very good game. Just. Too. Hard. for me. Expand
  41. Dec 6, 2017
    Much of what made this game scary at times was what wasn't there. Many times instead of just tossing blood and dead bodies everywhere the area seemed quite peaceful. Normally you would expect the usual jump scare and of course you got these at times, but some times it was something as simple as a change in scenery but now you were in a grotesque setting. The Evil Within 2 has improved fromMuch of what made this game scary at times was what wasn't there. Many times instead of just tossing blood and dead bodies everywhere the area seemed quite peaceful. Normally you would expect the usual jump scare and of course you got these at times, but some times it was something as simple as a change in scenery but now you were in a grotesque setting. The Evil Within 2 has improved from the first in every way imaginable, the graphics, the story, the controls. This game is everything a sequel should be. It changed where it needed to, but stayed the same enough that you knew what you were playing. Expand
  42. Oct 31, 2017
    The Evil Within 2 é a continuação do survival horror amado por uns e odiado por outros, The Evil Within. Dessa vez, Mikami passa o posto de diretor para John Johanas - diretor das DLC The Assignment e The Consequence.

A sensação de rever o jogo após longos 2 anos de espera é gratificante. É como um começo de namoro: tudo muito lindo e perfeito. Quando você se depara com a cidade de Union, se maravilha com o tamanho do mundo semi-aberto e as possibilidades de exploração que aquele mundo proporciona.

Em termos de narrativa, a história melhorou muito em relação ao seu antecessor. Temos aqui um Sebastian bem mais "falante" e que, agora, tem um motivo verdadeiramente importante para estar novamente no Stem: Sua filha, Lily Castellanos, que Sebastian pensava estar morta. Há uma chance de salva-lá e só Sebastian é capaz. Por isso, Juli Kidman é encarregada de encontrar Sebastian e convence-lo a entrar no Stem de novo. A trilha sonora ajuda a criar uma atmosfera ainda mais sentimental para o jogo. É outro ponto que se sobressai em comparação com o primeiro. E antes que eu me esqueça, Clair de Lune continua no jogo! E já que toquei nesse ponto, as salas de descanso são diferentes dessa vez. Agora temos um local intutulado de refugio, onde podemos melhorar nossas armas, conversar com soldados que encontramos durante o jogo, ou até mesmo tomar um café para recuperar as energias. O local de upgrade de Sebastian é da mesma forma que o primeiro jogo, com a Tatiana, a cadeira, os armários e etc. Nesse local, há também um mini game ao estilo de Resident Evil 4 para treinar suas habilidades de tiro.

A jogabilidade foi melhorada também. Dessa vez você pode correr e, mesmo gastando toda a estamina, o personagem continuará correndo, mas em menor velocidade. Controlar o Sebastian é bem agradável. Ele caminha e se cansa de maneira natural e condizente com a sua idade. Não temos um cara super dotado de habilidades ninjas, pelo contrário.

Os gráficos também tiveram um salto significativo. Não é o jogo com o melhor gráfico da geração, mas é bonito e entrega um resultado mais do que satisfatório.

Existem dois vilões no jogo. Um é um psicopata e sádico que se considera um artista incompreendido pelo mundo. O outro vilão se considera um padre e, resumidamente, tem como objetivo controlar a humanidade - um pouco clichê.

As criaturas são bem feitas no geral. E há uma boa variedade de inimigos comuns. Os bosses e semi bosses são outro destaque do jogo pois, apesar de serem poucos, são bem assustadores. Em especial um boss opcional que é uma mulher fantasma que te persegue em determinados momentos do jogo. Um descuido com ela e é hit kill!

Uma das coisas que eu senti falta foi os fósforos. Colocar fogo nos inimigos e vê-los virando cinza era algo bem divertido no primeiro.

Do mais, é um bom jogo de survival horror que mistura elementos de ação e terror e cria um jogo com um terror que cumpre o seu papel, mas que ao mesmo tempo se preocupa em apresentar uma mecânica divertida sem deixar o gameplay travado.
  43. Jan 26, 2018
    I was hesitant when the game was announced because I loved TEW1. The developers took many risks in the making of this sequel and I think most of them hit. The game story wise is less confusing than 1, and in my opinion more engaging.
    The open world system actually makes the game better, allowing the player more options to engaging their enemies. I didn't think a survival horror game like TEW would be able to sport a open world and boy was I wrong.

The game as a whole felt like a real and justified sequel, with drastic improvements on the previous title.

That being said this game does have some negatives that are easy to look over. The Bosses in this game are not as creative as the first. The character dialogue animations are honestly like PS2 era. Some upgrades are way more useful than others (with some not being that great at all). The game crashed once on me, like a typical Bethesda game usually does.

That beings said I walked out after playing this game blown away. The game adds more elements on top of the original, and truly makes you feel like it is a well deserved sequel and not just a cash grab. For fans of Survival-Horror genre, like Resident Evil and Silent Hill series, this game is a MUST play. I would recommend playing TEW1 however, although the story of 2 can be understood pretty easily without 1, there is a lot of subtle Easter eggs/ acknowledgements to the original
  44. Feb 25, 2018
    This should definitely be in the top 10 survival horror games of all time. I played Resident Evil 7 not long before I played this, and I'd say The Evil Within 2 is a far superior horror game. If you liked The Last of Us you'll almost certainly like TEW2. The gameplay and storyline are excellent, the graphics are good, and it just feels like a rollercoaster of a nightmare from start toThis should definitely be in the top 10 survival horror games of all time. I played Resident Evil 7 not long before I played this, and I'd say The Evil Within 2 is a far superior horror game. If you liked The Last of Us you'll almost certainly like TEW2. The gameplay and storyline are excellent, the graphics are good, and it just feels like a rollercoaster of a nightmare from start to finish. It's very cinematic and poignant at times, and has a movie feel to it, but with lots of challenging and brutal action to. If you like survival horror you need to buy this game. Expand
  45. Mar 11, 2018
    this game is big improvement about anything
    i highly recommend this game to buy it
  46. Mar 28, 2018
    Loved this from start to finish, not too challenging but addictive enough that you cannot wait to get back on it. Very imaginative, must have game
  47. Oct 30, 2019
    First the original game was better and its obvious bkz the original one was directed by a genius japanese And about this game. Story sucks a little. Its predictive and kind of cliche but its good enough for a horror game. Technical graphic sucks with bugs and its normal bkz the publisher is bethesda.
    Gameplay is good but it could be better. Sometimes you think sebastian is out of control. Gunplay is not good and not bad. Some times your bullet are not hit the enemy. Belive me. Specialy when you use sniper. This game designed to be scary but its not at all specialy at the second half it became whole action And the most **** dumb thing is its open world! Yes a survival horror **** open world. I really miss shinji mikami. Get back before bethesda ruin your beloved ip.
    All and all its a good game with lot of fun. But i still prefer the original one. I don know why these days every developer want to add rpg elemans and open world to their game. Plz think before do that. Some games dont need to be open world and some games dont need to be rpg! Look at ghost recon breakpoint. It sucks.
  48. Oct 15, 2017
    is hard to tell if i have the right word to explain how much impressed and satisfied i feel about this game , i was honestly expected it to be good but it seems like it is even better . reasons . i was really loving the first game although it had some issues like not the best graphics or no really great gunplay and overall poor effects in battle and everything , also i didn't think it hadis hard to tell if i have the right word to explain how much impressed and satisfied i feel about this game , i was honestly expected it to be good but it seems like it is even better . reasons . i was really loving the first game although it had some issues like not the best graphics or no really great gunplay and overall poor effects in battle and everything , also i didn't think it had the greatest environment and it had slightly of a poor design , but now it seems like everything has got fixed. now the graphics are great also the environment looks so much better and the gunplays at least two times better than the first title . but the most important thing is that the first one was more like resident evil revelations but unlike this reminds me better of the last of us which is what i love the most . it gives you more freedom to explore enter houses in the area find various materials and scrap parts , then you can craft different items and upgrade your weapons , also unlike the first one you can find more people and make some conversations which lead to submissions . cant say the last of us wasn't a great game but i think evil within 2 is just better and it is certainly the best survival horror game ever . and most likely the scariest as well Expand
  49. Oct 13, 2017
    Much better then the first game. Syoji Ishimine did his job good as in Resident Evil 7. Mix of the Last of Us, Resident Evil and The Evil Within. So it is a good game.
  50. Oct 16, 2017
    Very solid ACTION horror game. Veteran survival horror game fans might not be too frightened by this game however. A few scenes and enemies may unnerve you some. But otherwise remarkable. However, you are fairly new to horror games in general, it will most likely scare the f*** out of you. Very much a resident evil kind of structure with a Silent Hill kind of twist to it. Though it doesntVery solid ACTION horror game. Veteran survival horror game fans might not be too frightened by this game however. A few scenes and enemies may unnerve you some. But otherwise remarkable. However, you are fairly new to horror games in general, it will most likely scare the f*** out of you. Very much a resident evil kind of structure with a Silent Hill kind of twist to it. Though it doesnt excel in either particular area. It has its own middle ground and performs admirably.

There were a couple of sections that worried me as it made me belief the game was ending much sooner than it actually did. Thankfully, that was not the case. There is a fair amount of combat going on with the arsenal covering your basic needs. Melee, close quarters weapons, and a couple of long range for those particular situations. Enemies are grotesque and a bit unnerving in their own right as well as difficult to take down if not properly prepared.

Cinematic and audio cues are pretty on point with a couple of dips here and there as far as the mood and setting goes, but overall very well done.

If you are looking for an action horror game for the halloween month, I would highly suggest picking up this game.
  51. Oct 15, 2017
    This game deserves more praise than what it is getting at the moment. I just finished this game by spending about 20 hours in and i can tell you this is just one of the best experiences i had after a long time. Story is amazing and engaging because you always waiting for what is going to be next now.

The monsters and level design was cool also metaphorical just like old silent hills had in the past, However compared to silent hills it mostly had action moments mixed with horror elements compared to pure psychological horror which actually played in favor of this game what it tries to be.

So its an amazing treat for old school horror genre fans and i can feel it that it will turn into a great series just like silent hill and resident evil. Im glad that we have no micro transactions and providing enough content in the campaign which is worth your money. The semi open world is where the game shines the most for me and Union feels like an actual town gone to **** I highly recommend everyone to atleast give it a try and i can guarantee yous that you won't be disappointed. I would've give this game 9.5/10 but due to few flat and dull dialogues i mark a half point down.
  52. Oct 15, 2017
    Great horror sequel. As the Evil Within was a great sequel to RE4 this is a great sequel to the Evil Within. I feel in every way the game improves upon the original. The graphics are light years better, whereas the original had ps3 as a base, I can see the ps4 pro pushed to its limits. The lighting, polygons, draw distance, frame rate are all improved. The game is an open world this timeGreat horror sequel. As the Evil Within was a great sequel to RE4 this is a great sequel to the Evil Within. I feel in every way the game improves upon the original. The graphics are light years better, whereas the original had ps3 as a base, I can see the ps4 pro pushed to its limits. The lighting, polygons, draw distance, frame rate are all improved. The game is an open world this time around with side missions as well and tons of different smart ai monsters to deal with. It is long too at only 8 hours in I'm still in chapter 5. It seems almost twice as long as the original which was already a long survival horror game. The depth in weapons and story is also immense, there is so much to do I'm sure I will begin a new game plus right after. The only drawback I see is the bosses are not quite as memorable as the Keeper. However to be the first open world survival game and take the best of Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Alan Wake and the Evil Within itself I think it has almost created a new genre. Fun fact the original Alan Wake was supposed to be open world like this and feels like what that game may have been. Expand
  53. Oct 15, 2017
    One of the best survival horror games I've ever played, and deffinetely a contender for game of the year. I like the first game, but it had it's fair share of problems and never even got around to finishing it. This game improves on every aspect over the first. Amazing gameplay, long and more intriguing story, and big open environments to explore as you choose. So far, my personal GOTY,One of the best survival horror games I've ever played, and deffinetely a contender for game of the year. I like the first game, but it had it's fair share of problems and never even got around to finishing it. This game improves on every aspect over the first. Amazing gameplay, long and more intriguing story, and big open environments to explore as you choose. So far, my personal GOTY, and comparing it to say resident evil 7 biohazard, it's twice as fun and more of an enjoyable game. Might not be AS jump scary as re7, but overall it's the better game and something you'll enjoy more overall. Expand
  54. Oct 16, 2017
    You cannot go wrong with this title! For me Resident Evil VII was disappointing and frustrating, but The Evil Within 2 from Tango and Bethesda shows how a great survival horror game should feel!
  55. Oct 16, 2017
    I have been playing resident evil since it came out for sega saturn. Love the survival horror genre. This game does belong in the genre, but to be fair it is more " the last of us on crack" as opposed to "resident evil " style... puzzles are garbage, or it would get a 9. The graphics, voice acting all OK. My game is running on ps PRo , but lagging a bit in some areas which REALLY kills theI have been playing resident evil since it came out for sega saturn. Love the survival horror genre. This game does belong in the genre, but to be fair it is more " the last of us on crack" as opposed to "resident evil " style... puzzles are garbage, or it would get a 9. The graphics, voice acting all OK. My game is running on ps PRo , but lagging a bit in some areas which REALLY kills the tension. Overall, im happy with this, as it was needed for the Friday the 13th vibe. If this came out in any other month than october, we would probably see 7-8 scores across the board. VAST improvement over 1, which i did not bother to finish. Expand
  56. Oct 13, 2017
    the evil within 2 é o jogo de survivor horror que faltava esse ano, sem dar spoilers , mas a história é muito bem narrada, boss muito bem feito, o mundo mais amplo ficou bem legal, se você procurar itens pelo mapa vai ter surpresas legais , dublagem ótima , efeitos sonoros um coisa importante em jogos desse gênero ficou perfeito, valeu cada centavo investido nesse jogo. hoje em dia nãothe evil within 2 é o jogo de survivor horror que faltava esse ano, sem dar spoilers , mas a história é muito bem narrada, boss muito bem feito, o mundo mais amplo ficou bem legal, se você procurar itens pelo mapa vai ter surpresas legais , dublagem ótima , efeitos sonoros um coisa importante em jogos desse gênero ficou perfeito, valeu cada centavo investido nesse jogo. hoje em dia não temos mais jogos de survivor horror como antes, the evil within 2 trás isso com qualidade. Expand
  57. Oct 22, 2017
    Game that deserves more attention and more development time.....

Just finished a second entrance into Evil Within world. I enjoyed first part of the game and I should say I had hugh hopes for a sequel. But then I read that Shinji Mikami is not a gmae director this time. Mikami is just producer and he entrusted a relatevely young in industry guy to direct this part. John Johanas was a
    Game that deserves more attention and more development time.....

Just finished a second entrance into Evil Within world.
    I enjoyed first part of the game and I should say I had hugh hopes for a sequel. But then I read that Shinji Mikami is not a gmae director this time. Mikami is just producer and he entrusted a relatevely young in industry guy to direct this part. John Johanas was a director for first game's two DLC which I enjoyed a lot and loved how thier were different from main game. And also, I got doubtful about sequel because of open world insertion. After learning that about a game I got my scares.

But I should say that game exceeded my expectations in almost every way. I should even say that this is a rare contingency when open world implementation benefited a game. And I can not say that game has open world as you would expect. Is more like levels with big areas. There is just few side quests and they are not boring at all. Going to the bigger areas is govong you a sense of survival and I strongly reccomend playing a game on the highest level of difficulty. Scavenging for a ammo and other materials are so fun.

Gameplay is nice. It got some improvements but in general it is very similiar to the predecessor.
    Story is less complicated and I do appreciate that unlike the first game you can understand a whole story without playing a DLC. And I love how last chapter is made. Game is scary at times. I think the greatest fear in videogames is feeeling that you can die at any moment and this game is providing that.

Only bad thing I had is techinal issues. And I am not talking about graphics or textures poping. I talk about some freezes and gameplay glitches that affects enjoyment. I was playing on PS4 Pro btw. I think Tango needed more time to finish a game. Sometimes it feels like beta product. I am sue that they feel fix it later with patches.
    Overall great. If you love survival horror games buy it. And it feels like good residient evil 4 succesor. And there is gonna be many references to RE4.

PS When you finish a game. You unlock a cinimatic experience mode, which is letterbox effect from a first part, I am sure there is at least one guy who liked it but I think it is pretty funny to unlock it, since everyone hates it, including me.
  58. Oct 21, 2017
    I thought the first Evil Within was disappointing, whether we're talking about the poor storytelling or the dull characters or the messy gameplay, so my expectations for this sequel were not high. I'm glad I gave the series a second chance because this is a massive improvement, as well as one of my personal favorite games of the year.

It takes heavy inspirations from Silent Hill's

It takes heavy inspirations from Silent Hill's open-ended areas, combined with the stealth and crafting elements from The Last of Us. There are little issues still present from the first game like the cumbersome aiming and a couple of cheap boss fights, but the level of satisfaction after a lengthy 20 hours or so of fighting and hiding makes this a game that shouldn't be missed.

Calling all survival horror fans - play this game!
  59. Oct 19, 2017
    ATTENTION ALL THOSE WHO LOVED THE FIRST GAME AND WHO ARE HATING ON THIS!!

Actually play the game to completion before you hate on it! It isn't all running around the open world, that's just the opening chapters. The game becomes more linear later on and there is a particular boss fight that is heavily tied in with the first game that I guarantee you will appreciate.
  60. Oct 15, 2017
    Shinji Mikami hit harder with this sequel. The best new iteration they could come over with. A spellbinding atmosphere is at work coupled with a more accurate gameplay. The scenario has been the target of the developers this time giving raise to a much more heady depiction of Sebastian Castellanos. Breathtaking cutscenes, more accurate aiming system and a really fair amount of content.Shinji Mikami hit harder with this sequel. The best new iteration they could come over with. A spellbinding atmosphere is at work coupled with a more accurate gameplay. The scenario has been the target of the developers this time giving raise to a much more heady depiction of Sebastian Castellanos. Breathtaking cutscenes, more accurate aiming system and a really fair amount of content. Great survial horror experience. Expand
  61. Oct 17, 2017
    My favourite game of the year. Blending Silent Hill, Resident Evil and Dying light. Great stealth and survival horror. I eagerly await The Evil Within 3!
  62. Oct 13, 2017
    Very few games suck me in and keep me playing through the day,this is one of the few. I've played about 10 hours and I'm loving it. I started playing on casual but that was way too easy,,,this games amazing.
  63. Nov 16, 2017
    This is a great game. I really liked how the story was told and the overall experience is just much more consistent than in its predecessor. The first half of the game feels like a proper horror game with great atmosphere and horrifying art direction. The second half feels a bit more action oriented but still is great. Especially because they've improved gunplay. I have to say somethingThis is a great game. I really liked how the story was told and the overall experience is just much more consistent than in its predecessor. The first half of the game feels like a proper horror game with great atmosphere and horrifying art direction. The second half feels a bit more action oriented but still is great. Especially because they've improved gunplay. I have to say something about the difficulty too. If you play the game in "casual", it will rather feel like an action game (similar to RE5). However, if you choose to play it on "survival" or more difficult, every encounter will feel tense and you really want to make every shot count. I liked both experiences equally. Overall very recommended. Mikami and his team still no how to do it! Expand
  64. Nov 1, 2017
    This game is a masterpiece, very long time since i played a VERY good horror survival game! i think even better than the first one....the story was more complex, characters more developed....scenery and so on, i give it a solid 10.
  65. Nov 8, 2017
    Authentic and unique open-world survival horror; It shouldn’t work, but it does. There’s a lot of innovation here based on proven mechanics. The game retains much of the presentation and core components of the original but has been completely upended in terms of overall gameplay.

After spending a few frustrating hours getting accustomed with how to properly interact with the game world, I quickly began to see the brilliance of the game design and am elated I stuck with it. I’m a massive fan of the original and it holds a special spot on my games shelf. Given the meager sales and lukewarm reception, I was surprised and thrilled to see a sequel was being developed. Then I read a different director was tied to the project and the sequel would be an “open-world” game, and my excitement turned to disappointment and anger.

While I sincerely miss the abstract psychological horror, widescreen presentation and linear progression of the first game (which I regard as artistic genius), this sequel stand on its own well-earned merits. The story and voice acting have sadly devolved into janky B-movie territory and fundamentally the gameplay mechanics are a collection of the usual en-vogue suspects. But The Evil With 2 Is elevated far beyond the sum of its parts due to the mastery and talent of the development team who nearly perfected, and innovated on, the integration of each component; all of which have deftly been grafted on top of a worthy survival horror foundation.

New players and franchise veterans alike will find something immensely enjoyable here. Nothing will compare to or top the original art-house game, but this unique experience stands on its own. Now updated (new patch this week) with higher resolution visuals (pseudo UHD) and an amazingly stable unlocked frame rate on the PS4 Pro, this is an experience not to be missed by any action-adventure fan.
  66. Oct 28, 2017
    I love horror games and Evil Within 2 is definitively not one to miss. The game is setting in an uninhabited city called Union, full of strange and dangerous creatures and the protagonist is after his missing daughter. Sounds like the first Silent Hill, right? Yep, the vibe is very similar, while it maintains the basic gameplay structure of the first Evil Within and Resident Evil 4.I love horror games and Evil Within 2 is definitively not one to miss. The game is setting in an uninhabited city called Union, full of strange and dangerous creatures and the protagonist is after his missing daughter. Sounds like the first Silent Hill, right? Yep, the vibe is very similar, while it maintains the basic gameplay structure of the first Evil Within and Resident Evil 4. However, different from the previous game, this sequel features not just chasing and action sequences, but also slow pacing moments with plenty of room for exploration searching for weapons, ammo, gears and other stuff and even some few side quests, while you're in the central town. However, even enjoying this semi open world portion of the game, i think the game is better during the more linear and tense parts. Also, it's a pity that the best villain in the game, Stefano Vallentini, don't get the highlight he deserves, his chasing sequences are the best part of the game.

Honestly, i can't decided if a like this better than the original Evil Within. The visuals, controls and character development have improved, however the first one has a better story and is more scarier.
  67. Nov 3, 2017
    Graphics: 8.5 Sound: 8.8 Gameplay: 8.0 Fun/Story: 9.0

The evil within 2 is a great evolution of its predecessor. Despite its average press score it´s a very good game, with unique level design and an immersive plot.
  68. Oct 23, 2017
    another survival/horror masterpiece by the father of survival/horror and tango im a huge fan of the genre and i love this kind of games and trust me this game had the potential to be the most complete survival horror game but i think RE remakeOriginal will remain mikami's best creation since it was the source of inspiration of most survival horror games anyways this game is highlyanother survival/horror masterpiece by the father of survival/horror and tango im a huge fan of the genre and i love this kind of games and trust me this game had the potential to be the most complete survival horror game but i think RE remakeOriginal will remain mikami's best creation since it was the source of inspiration of most survival horror games anyways this game is highly recommended for those seeking fear and tensity and horror elements mixed with great story telling Expand
  69. Oct 21, 2017
    Who ever says this isn't an improvement and were disappointed are obviously BS'ing because it's the best improvement to a game, sequel wise, I've seen in a long time. The fact reviews are giving it the same, if not less then the first game which had it's fair share of problems is ridiculous. This is a perfect blend of survival horror and action...this is what Resident Evil should haveWho ever says this isn't an improvement and were disappointed are obviously BS'ing because it's the best improvement to a game, sequel wise, I've seen in a long time. The fact reviews are giving it the same, if not less then the first game which had it's fair share of problems is ridiculous. This is a perfect blend of survival horror and action...this is what Resident Evil should have evolved into after RE4, hell it's better then RE7 put it that way. Expand
  70. Oct 21, 2017
    The Evil Within 2 - the sequel to psychedelic hell. The first part challenged the players, had a dark but attractive atmosphere, gameplay Resident Evil 4 (which is good), but sags in the plot. The game had a certain charm, she attracted, was forced to return to his dark world, because if hell is, it looks like the first The Evil Within. The second part did John Johanas, which wasThe Evil Within 2 - the sequel to psychedelic hell. The first part challenged the players, had a dark but attractive atmosphere, gameplay Resident Evil 4 (which is good), but sags in the plot. The game had a certain charm, she attracted, was forced to return to his dark world, because if hell is, it looks like the first The Evil Within. The second part did John Johanas, which was responsible for the DLC for the first part, and keep an eye on him, Shinji Mikami. It is felt that the sequel was done by other people, but the game does not become worse.

This time the plot is much simpler and clearer than in the first game, which went only benefit. After completing The Evil Within 2, you'll have no issues. Along with the story and changed the gameplay. Moreover, the linear stages is not particularly changed. There we were still locked in a small space, and we need to hide, or alternately kill monsters. This game is still a survival horror, even more survival. Survival now became more developed thanks to the Kraft and, of course, appeared in open locations. It's not open world, but explore that. In an open world we can find the various items for crafting, to carry out the plot and additional missions. The extra missions are very interesting and related to by Sebastian. Additional tasks third party to tell us stories in this world. In the first part of the Chapter commercials from 2 to 9 we aimlessly killing monsters and tried to survive. It was not easy and hardcore, but often a story or at least some clear goal was not simple. Here we always understand why we do something. Even when the plot is not particularly develops, we learn some other history.

Open world is a controversial decision, but it is justified by the plot. In the first part we traveled through the ruined mind of a psycho. Here, in the minds built the city, and the developers wanted this part of the story was the gameplay. We have several parts of the city, but the plot is still developing in corridor spaces. Linear locations are made more fiction. Now they consist not only of blood and guts. This is a separate surreal, psychedelic locations. The head is sometimes very transient and sometimes perceived simply as a new paragraph, so to speak. In the first game of the head was really something separate. But storytelling has grown and the main story runs through the whole game, a special sagging is not seen. Of course, in the middle of it, as usual, not much, but you did not notice, because you always have a goal and understanding what is happening.

The monsters are all the same threat as in the first part, but they looked more vile and disgusting. Even ordinary opponents with their barbed wire over the body and nailed to the skull. In the sequel, even bosses are not as challenging. In the first part often can not be just to kill the boss with them was a special gameplay. Here are they without special problems elementary shot. Remember the huge twins, big dog? Now, this is not here. Here or bosses or normal enemies (normal enemies, there are several types and some are extremely dangerous). Also removed the mechanics from the burning of ordinary opponents, because even before the common infected just so the knife could not be seperate, now this is no problem (but I understand that this mechanic was removed from the STEM of another world). Due to the open world, the game became easier. Enemies are still strong. But because of the vast spaces you can easily get around them, or even to escape to the sanctuary, you will chase the crowd. The first part was not enough traps, in which could get the player, or to do otherwise - to lure them into the enemy, but in the sequel traps almost there. Also open world drops to the pacing and tempo of scaring the player. In the linear stages of the game can still challenge and some where to scare. This is not a stupid third-person shooter. Here you need to survive, to save health packs and bullets.

The Evil Within 2 took into account the mistakes of its predecessor, and became great Thriller-adventure, this survival in a hostile world. The game has expanded, deepened gameplay, linear locations have become more inventive, the game has acquired a clear and intriguing storyline. For me it will likely be game of the year. Especially because of the ending. Very beautiful final point. Of course, there are small hooks to continue, but without him it will be a great film series about detective Sebastian Castellanos.
  71. Nov 4, 2017
  72. Oct 18, 2017
    The critics were tough on this one... it's a big improvement mechanically, graphically... everything really. in my opinion it deserves an 8 out of 10 average, and with Cuphead aside, it is without question better than any exclusive game on XBOX ONE this entire year. And that says a lot after a killer year from Sony.
  73. Oct 16, 2017
    The Evil Within have a lot of improvement of previous game
    - Better graphics , better performance
    - Better gameplay with a lot of improvement including crating system ,
    - No annoying letter box
    - Bettter sound effect
    - Larger map
    - Voices acting is perfect
    Not many company can make horror game better than Shinji Mikami's game
  74. Mar 1, 2018
    A much better game than the first. I really enjoyed the combat and the story. The developers definitely learned from the mistakes they made in the first game, and it really shows. There are some dips with the framerate when it gets intense but it doesn't take away the fun. It's definitely not one of the best horror games out there, but it's very good. 8.5/10

Pros: Good story Good

Pros:
    Good story
    Good combat system
    Scary monsters
    Creepy/Frightening atmosphere
    Length of the game-it's actually pretty long for a horror game if you do the side stuff

Cons:
    Framerate, sometimes it dips a bit. I have it on the ps4 not PC
  75. Nov 14, 2017
    Amazing game. Great single player campaign. Easily 20 hours to get through on nightmare difficulty.

The game has a decent story (if slightly less so than the first game), really disturbing scenes and tense but fun gameplay that make this a true old school survival horror game. If only Capcom had stayed on the path this game follows. The first game was one of the last great games I

The first game was one of the last great games I played on my Xbox 360 and this is one that I'll keep in my PS4 collection now it's finished.

Worth every penny. Do yourself a favour and pick it up, even at full price!
  76. Oct 20, 2017
    No brainer for survival horror fans. More accessible than the first one, for better or worse. Though I'd prefer it be more linear like the original and most games in the genre, the semi-open world worked really well. Go out and buy it because I want part 3!
  77. Nov 20, 2017
    This is a really impressive game. The atmosphere and characters are great. The story was entertaining and the gameplay was pretty much what you'd expect from a 3rd person survival horror game. It could have done with a few more side quests but that's really the only negative I can think of.
  78. Nov 25, 2017
    A worthy sequel. The first nine chapters are spectacular, the artist's levels and boss battle is well done. It meanders a little in the middle (with still some cool parts) and picks up again at the end (minus a few cliche moments). It has mechanics that are better than the first one, atmosphere points which are higher, but not as scary and less tension. A solid game, a series worthA worthy sequel. The first nine chapters are spectacular, the artist's levels and boss battle is well done. It meanders a little in the middle (with still some cool parts) and picks up again at the end (minus a few cliche moments). It has mechanics that are better than the first one, atmosphere points which are higher, but not as scary and less tension. A solid game, a series worth checking out. 80/100
    Sebastian's dialogue and oneliners is always a hilarious entertainment.
  79. Dec 11, 2017
    The Evil Within 2 exceeds its predecessor in terms of visuals, however the semi-open world experience lacks meaningful activities and just make the sequel less interesting than the original engaging linear experience.
  80. Oct 25, 2018
    The Evil Within 2 is a much better game than the first one, the gameplay has been improved, it isn't as linear as the first game was. The story is a lot more personal to Sebastian in this game and as a result is a lot more interesting. The characters in this game are more realized and grounded than before. This game is a huge improvement over the first one. Definitely worth your money and time.
  81. Nov 6, 2020
    Gran juego, muy buena historia e interesante tanto gráficamente como en sus mecánicas, muy al estilo Resident Evil pero tiene su sello propio. Juego muy interesante
  82. Jun 22, 2020
    Una digna secuela de una gran primera parte, aunque pierde algo de impacto por la pérdida del factor sorpresa, incluye mejoras y novedades que compensan el ambiente menos opresivo y más surrealista de esta secuela. Lo recomiendo mucho, así como el primero, el concepto sobre el cual gira la trama está poco explotado y artísticamente (en especial su primera parte), sabe tocar esas fibras queUna digna secuela de una gran primera parte, aunque pierde algo de impacto por la pérdida del factor sorpresa, incluye mejoras y novedades que compensan el ambiente menos opresivo y más surrealista de esta secuela. Lo recomiendo mucho, así como el primero, el concepto sobre el cual gira la trama está poco explotado y artísticamente (en especial su primera parte), sabe tocar esas fibras que te dejan inquieto. Le pondría un 8.4 si pudiera meter decimales. Expand
  83. Aug 25, 2020
    Excelente juego, sólo el detalle de que tuve problemas con la jugabilidad y es probable a que estoy acostumbrado a juegos más rápidos.
    Muy buena historia y no abusan de los jumpscares, muy bien logrado el juego!!
  84. Aug 26, 2020
    True horror game you must understand the story b4 you judge and i kiss this game for new chapter
  85. Dec 27, 2020
    Um game absolutamente maravilhoso e uma das melhores sequencias que você irá jogar. Geralmente as pessoas dizem que sequencias não conseguem superar o original, mas aqui eu acredito que, não apenas conseguiram superar, como criaram um game incrível e um survival horror de primeira linha. Os gráficos poderiam ser um pouco melhores, é verdade.
  86. Jul 8, 2020
    Um excelente jogo, possui uma história envolvente. Sem dúvidas recomendaria, principalmente se você gostou do RE7.
  87. Dec 12, 2020
    Excelentes gráficos, una historia interesante, este juego da frescura en el mundo colapsado de los juegos de horror, sus paisajes son horriblemente tenebroso y maravillosos.
  88. Jul 10, 2020
    The graphics and gameplay are awesome, the semi open world improved on the linearity of the first, the story is a bit wonky sometimes, but it doesn't detract from the plot and the atmosphere is nightmarishly beautiful. In conclusion: A very good survival horror game and a worthy sequel.
  89. Jul 19, 2020
    While The Evil Within 2 isn’t particularly scary, nor does it reinvent the survival-horror genre, it certainly is a strong product of the genre with what it does; the survival aspect of horror in the gameplay is done extremely well. But it should be noted that the feeling the game gives out is that it tries to be a survival-horror game more than it does a horror game, which is not the sameWhile The Evil Within 2 isn’t particularly scary, nor does it reinvent the survival-horror genre, it certainly is a strong product of the genre with what it does; the survival aspect of horror in the gameplay is done extremely well. But it should be noted that the feeling the game gives out is that it tries to be a survival-horror game more than it does a horror game, which is not the same thing. I must say that the opening for this game is one of the best and most memorable openings for a game I have played. It is well-paced and subtle that helps portray the hell that you the player are now in, The Evil Within 2 does follow cliches “within” its scares and plot points. But as a rebuttal, the product should not be judged by how cliche it is, but rather how well it can accomplish. And in this case, The Evil Within 2 again does it greatly in a manner very stylized and memorable. To the extent that it can be etched into your psyche. As far as the story goes, The Evil Within 2 sets out to develop and explore the character that is Sebastian Castellanos. Sebastian is no longer the blank-slate detective that he was in the first game. He is now the sincerely likable, yet tough character that the first game tried to portray. He is put into a situation that is deeply personal to his character, his arc, and the extension of Sebastian's backstory given in the first game that left you in the cold. In fact, every character in The Evil Within 2 is not a blank slate. Each character is their own character that never feels like a copy and paste. Every character is expanded through the storyline and optional conversations, as well as optional notes, found in-game. And each character plays a role in Sebastian's arc, whether they are ancillary characters or characters that test Sebastian's will. The story of The Evil Within 2 is greatly paced and is a very stylized, symbolic, and emotionally written rollercoaster. The soundtrack for the game is a bit mixed. The game's theme of the cover of Duran Duran's "Ordinary World' by The Hit House is the song that does a great job summing up the premise of the game. And the somber score that comes throughout the game is one to remember. Not to forget about Serenade for Strings, which is already a great score. But other than that, the soundtrack is just generic beats that best fit a sneaky atmosphere, a devilish ensemble, and an out of place track that plays during a boss-rush. There is not really any theme for the significant unrelenting creatures in the game, which is a shame. The gameplay of The Evil Within 2 is very much the same as how it was in the first game but improved upon. It is much smoother and easier to perform your sneak attacks and headshots. And the greatest improvement is that the stamina is no longer sad. The upgrading mechanics in the game is done well. Each upgrade is one step closer to making Sebastian an unstoppable force, so to speak. Being able to pull off new skills that enhance your survival attributes and making Sebastian much better at taking down his enemies. The crafting system is simple, as it should be. And it never feels like it gets in the way of survival or takes away from the experience by feeling cheap. The location that Sebastian must go through in the game is called Union. The Evil Within 2 follows a structure that resembles a mix of Silent Hill's explorable town and The Evil Within's linear chapter structure. You start off in the open-world Union. But once you make it to your destination, you often go to a linear level type structure. What can you find in the open-world Union? You find more weapons that will help you on your journey. You will only ever be handed two, and a third is required to find in order to continue the story. In Union, you'll also find world-building notes and resonances, collectibles such as keys and mysterious items, and an additional character arc and enemy for Sebastian. Union never feels like it gets old, but it will feel a bit unfinished the further you go into new areas of Union. The engine that this game is built upon, the STEM engine is truly magnificent. I would have to say The Evil Within 2 is a beautiful looking game. A real piece of art. Vibrant colors and clean models. Personally, I think this is one of the best looking games I have ever laid my eyes on. Depending on what platform you are on or how powerful it is, the game maintains a stable frame-rate with occasional drops. But the game suffers from a few glitches. Nothing that will break the game or the experience. But are small, common glitches. The Evil Within 2 is a huge step up from its predecessor and should be considered a great game for Tango Gameworks' second game. This game was handicapped by the first game and its reception with its players. This game is criminally underrated and deserves more love. And after this game, Tango Gameworks deserves more attention. Expand
  90. Jul 20, 2020
    Super nice game from one of my favorite Horror genres. The enemies, bosses and monsters are very well designed to generate chills and also many levels that will make your skin a little stiff.
  91. Nov 4, 2020
    After beating The Evil Within 2 in 2017, it became one of my all time favorite horror games. It's truly one of the most terrifying games I have ever played. But it's also one of the very best horror titles out there. The story was very engrossing from start to finish, and I have grown to love Sebastian as a character, especially since playing the first game. The new semi-open world is aAfter beating The Evil Within 2 in 2017, it became one of my all time favorite horror games. It's truly one of the most terrifying games I have ever played. But it's also one of the very best horror titles out there. The story was very engrossing from start to finish, and I have grown to love Sebastian as a character, especially since playing the first game. The new semi-open world is a welcome addition, even though I prefer truly linear games. The gameplay is very fun and gunplay is satisfying. The enemies are varied and actually interesting to fight and look at. The designers did a great job there, along with other NPC's. I am about to play through the game again in 2020 because I liked it so much. It's an excellent tile from Tango Gameworks all the way around and I hope Ghostwire Tokyo is just as good. Expand
  92. Aug 28, 2020
    Salam. Mən oyunu həddinən artığ bəyəndim oynamanız tövsiyədi. Çox əla hekayəsi var
  93. Dec 17, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game. Ending was so good. I think there will be Evil Within 3 maybe Myra is still alive Expand
  94. Dec 26, 2020
    I really Love this game this game have good details and awesome hit animation and have awesome monsters and amazing voice actors and storyline is powerful but this game not good on main character combat system and shooting system is weak as the evil within 1 and running system is not usual but I'm number 1 fan I love this game hell ye baby
  95. Jan 12, 2021
    really really good took me about 15hours to complete it costs £24.99 i like how it was open world when i heard about this i didnt think it would really work but it was really good and worked well the first one was more scary and challenging but i found this one better also the story was much better.
  96. Jan 29, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very good. An improvement on the enjoyable original. This has an open world approch which actually works. A fantastic addition to the survival horror genre. Expand
  97. Mar 2, 2021
    SEM MAIS COMENTÁRIOS , ÉPICIDADE É O QUE DEFINE O "GRAN FINALE" DE SEBASTIAN CASTELLANOS EM THE EVIL WITHIN 2 (2017).
  98. Jul 29, 2018
    Great atmosphere, feels more like open world than first game. Characters are well designed, theonly lack is horror factors reducing in late game but still recommend anyone who is interested in this type of games.
  99. Jul 7, 2018
    Awesome. if you enjoy survival horror games like Resident Evil and Dead Space this is the game for you. I suggest to play this game the proper way aka right all the way on survival difficulty. I also suggest to invest into good pair of headphones to get best immersion into this game. Myself I've been playing this game on cinematic mode through PSVR. Playing this game on big screen withAwesome. if you enjoy survival horror games like Resident Evil and Dead Space this is the game for you. I suggest to play this game the proper way aka right all the way on survival difficulty. I also suggest to invest into good pair of headphones to get best immersion into this game. Myself I've been playing this game on cinematic mode through PSVR. Playing this game on big screen with surround sound headphones is a special experience ! I cannot wait for Resident Evil 2 coming out next year ! Expand
  100. Dec 13, 2017
    Mixes all my favorite survival horror games together into one awesome package. Brings back that Shinji Mikami tense gameplay that he is known for. Felt like a modern take on Resident Evil 4 in a different universe. Couldn't stop playing.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 67 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Jan 10, 2018
    Shinji Mikami’s philosophy is to focus on making the game’s good aspects shine even brighter instead of trying to eradicate its flaws. His latest work both benefits and suffers from that approach. The Evil Within 2 offers great exploration, but its story is laughable. It’s a thrilling shooter, but a mediocre stealth game. At the end of the day I find Mikami to be right – a game’s best moments count the most and make us turn a blind eye to its flaws. TEW2 fails to reach the level of my beloved Resident Evil 4, but in today’s circumstances a triple AAA survival horror without online components and intrusive microtransactions is a gem. [13/2017, p.72]
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Dec 15, 2017
    A likeable follow-up that addresses valid criticisms of its predecessor and provides gory fun, but loses a little of what made it special in the process. [Christmas 2017, p.90]
  3. Dec 14, 2017
    Exploring the game's main town, which is full of monsters, new weapons and items, is a blast. New discoveries will immerse you into the gameplay, and make you forget about that daughter you have to save.