7.5

1. Oct 14, 2014
    ( Received my copy early on October 10th,friend hooked me up)
    Shinji Mikami ( father of survival horror) is the director of The Evil Within and it has been said that this title will be the last videogame he directs and what a way to go out.
    ( Received my copy early on October 10th,friend hooked me up)

While playing The Evil Within, I felt like I returned to the good old days of survival horror. You could tell that Silent Hill was one of Shinjis inspirations for this game. I also sensed some inspiration from horror movies from the 80s and of course Resident Evil 4.
    There were some frame rate drops and texture pop ins that occurred sometimes while playing the game, but it wasn't so bad, I've seen a lot worse in other games.

The graphics themselves are nothing special, however the environments that you traverse are interesting and beautifully designed, you could defiantly tell you are playing a shinji mikami game.
    Enemy design is also very nice and you could tell that the designers took their time in creating each enemy..I did not like the black borders that were present on the screen at first, but after awhile I didn't mind it.

Bosses seemed to be frustrating but I'm a type of gamer who enjoys learning by dying.. The game doesn't tell you how to kill a boss, so chances are you will die over and over again until you find out for yourself on how to defeat it... This game is challenging.. I played on normal and it was still pretty hard.
    The story is weird, it's confusing and it seems like it drags out a bit, but nonetheless it is very solid, I actually like the story better than Resident Evil 4. However I liked Leon a lot better than Sebastian, I thought Sebastian was a very dull protagonist, just a pretty boring guy..
    Puzzles were ok, nothing special, quiet easy actually, could be because I was only playing on normal, but they are pretty straight forward.
    I did not find the game scary but I did find it disturbing and I was tense through most of it, just like resident evil 4.
    Resident Evil 4 to me is slightly better than The Evil Within (at least to me) but it was a fun ride, I plan on playing it again... First play through took me approx 17 hours.

I recommend this game to people who loved the classic Resident Evil games, newcomers may not like this game as it does indeed feel like an old school horror game. The game is also hard so you must have the patience and be able to learn by trial and error...
    Presentation: 9.5
    Gameplay: 9.5
    Sound :10
    Graphics: 7.0
    Story: 8.0
    Replayability: 9.0
    My Score : 88%
  2. Oct 14, 2014
    terrifying that is the word that best defines The Evil Within, the graphics are good gameplay also can not help but give a lower rating than 10 glad you survive the horror genre is coming back with everything.
  3. Oct 14, 2014
    The Evil Within is a varied, deep, challenging and long game. Shinji Mikami and Tango Gameworks scare us, they mix puzzles and third person shooting in a reborn survival horror that is visually poor. The Keeper, the Alpha mastodon and other ugly deformed will make you have nightmares.
  4. Oct 14, 2014
    my GOTY this game is awesome and scary and unlike other horror games its addicted and enjoyable shinji mikami did it again the real survival horror god
  5. Oct 14, 2014
    it was everything the fans survival horror wanted I love this Game! Shinji Mikami Genius! Good Graphics Good Music Good Story Classic Survival Horror. Gamers nowadays it's sad...
  6. Oct 14, 2014
    I went in with high expectations and to put it briefly...I overall enjoyed it, but was below my very high expected 9.5/10.

The game tries to be a psychological mind bender, making you question the reality of the situation and makes you wonder what could come next. The Bad first (everything is subjective to taste): - You die...ALOT. Sometimes you just want to move forward. - I'm

The Bad first (everything is subjective to taste):
    - You die...ALOT. Sometimes you just want to move forward.
    - I'm absolutely not a fan of black bars
    - 30fps give it a slow paced feeling as it should be, but frame rates easily drop when this is done.
    - Confirm too frequent frame rate drops, but this can be easily fixed in future updates.
    - Graphics are no where as good as I hoped.
    - Story not well explained most of the time, or at least don't explain who is who and why.
    - movements feel sluggish at times where accurate stealth movements are necessary.

The good:
    - You die...ALOT. This is a bad and a good thing. The replay ability of each level doesn't feel frustrating, but much more a challenge for you to go back and try again..in different ways all the time.
    - Great horror atmosphere and very nice first Chapter. I don't want to spoil more..
    - (SPOILER) Love the Silent Hill 2 reference with the look of the nurse when in the save game dreams.
    - Each level is unique in its own way with always something intriguing to look forward to. Most of the time.
    - This game is a survival horror. You will feel exactly that when playing it. You are surviving. THAT is something many games don't have anymore.

You make one wrong move...BAM, you're dead. It isn't a perfectionists game, but it requires planning and thinking on how to proceed forward in each level. You will make full use of your environments and once you learn the tricks you will enjoy the game to the fullest.

I expected a better told story, better graphics without those dreadful black bars that remove 2 thirds of my screen space (literally). Improve the controls, make the bars a choice and improve the frame rate.

Overall you will enjoy the game. It isn't the best, but it is FAR from the worst.
  7. Oct 14, 2014
    it may not be the best game out their but it the survival/horror return in the hand of it father shinji mikami this game have a great atmosphere and require skills to survive bringing back the old school survival horror style "less resources, Puzzles, etc"this game is a must for survival/horror fans
  8. Oct 14, 2014
    The Evil Within is easily the best Survival Horror game to be released in years, Shinji Mikami has once again worked his magic! Hopefully Bethesda and Tango will turn this into an amazing franchise and not just an amazing game!
  9. Oct 14, 2014
    Evil Within is very well paced. With a great level design and great atmosphere. Smart AI...sure the acting is mediocre..but what matters more is gameplay. One of the best horror games to be released in a while. Much much better than any of the later released Resident Evil games. Scarce save points is a plus in my book as well.
  10. Oct 15, 2014
    Really disappointing. Combat is horrible, Melee is useless half the time, You can waste all your ammo on one enemy and take multiple head shots to kill. There's no hit detection with the bullets alot of the time. Camera is very cramped, Hard to tell where enemies are. Stealth is very slow and requires alot of patience and if you have to keep reloading a checkpoint due to the broken combatReally disappointing. Combat is horrible, Melee is useless half the time, You can waste all your ammo on one enemy and take multiple head shots to kill. There's no hit detection with the bullets alot of the time. Camera is very cramped, Hard to tell where enemies are. Stealth is very slow and requires alot of patience and if you have to keep reloading a checkpoint due to the broken combat you will keep doing these slow stealth segments ALOT. Save points are scarce. Saving the game is very outdated save points take a bit to come across which once you find one can take you a good 30 seconds or more just to begin overwriting the data because of the process you have to go through. Story provides very little detail and the cast isn't too in depth. Screen is very fuzzy which is a filter that just makes the resolution look worse than it is. All in all a very 'meh' game. Was really disappointed as I was looking forward to this one. Expand
  11. Oct 14, 2014
    Amazing game the graphics is not that bad i really liked the shadows and lightning details the horrific enemies the story is a bit cofusing but it needs more than one walkthrough to get along with it
  12. Oct 14, 2014
    everything you'd expect from Mikami, not scary but heart pounding and an definitley survival horror. Blood, guts and lots of deranged creatures. Excellent game
  13. Oct 14, 2014
    Welcome back, survival horror. Truly a good homage to older games of the like, a blast to play, and very scary. Highly recommend if you love old Silent Hill and RE games!
  14. Oct 14, 2014
    this game is not flawless and it is not shinji's best work but it is still amazing game i loved the environment design and difficulty of this game you realy should be smart enough and survivalist to survive this game great pick and worth my cash
  15. Oct 14, 2014
    I think the game is awesome, I'm not done the game yet, I'm on chapter 7, but so far I have been having a great time.. Sure, the graphics at times can be "bad" but the game-play kicks a**...It's not my favorite horror game, that goes to Silent Hill 2.. I hope we see mre survival horror this gen..
  16. Oct 15, 2014
    People are desperate for survival horror and will likely accept any release vaguely resembling their desire. The Evil Within was marketed as a return to 'pure horror' and it is closer to a grotesque, senseless misadventure into a variety of misplaced sequences which do not establish any consistent atmosphere for an emotion of dread to develop.

Shinji is not the saviour of survival

Shinji is not the saviour of survival horror, he is a figurehead, demonstrating a competent team and ample resources are stronger to a single man's masterminded vision in the current case (in the assumption they had one). Notes to add ambience are nonsensical, ammunition is balanced punisghinly to cause unreasonable circumstance, deaths are regularly cheap and chapters typically requiring routines of trial-error-trial-error-trial.

There is a fundamental design confusion: "Should we aim for stealth or aciton?" Consequently, as the creators attempted an amalgamation, they have created a situation whereby stealth is often inappropriate considering action setpieces whilst action is mostly discouraged from contrived survival horror elementsboth from the cumbersome controls to the scarce resources. The lack of instructions, too, are not a fun challenge or an endeavour to exhibit how 'hardcore' a player is - they're a lazy scenario which has the player testing for answers through frustrating mechanics invariably leading to mistakes: repetitive stealth, unbalanced enemies, cumbersome action.

Enemies are not designed to investigate intelligently for any fair calculations to the player - line of sights erratic when not distracted with a redundant throw of a distraction - and patience of the stealth declines into frustration whilst there's neither dread or variety to sneaking. Additionally, environments are inappropriate for stealth, regularly a victim to poor collisions which affect fluid manoeuvring, and they're highly restrictive to have stealth as practically identical to how simply isolated the practice is of waiting inside a locker.

The Evil Within is a game we want to be success, inspiring excellent survival horror games in the future and also being one, but it is nevertheless a disaster to not only ambition, it's flawed from a design perspective.

Technical issues range from clipping, textures requiring additional time to load and horrible artificial intelligence for mechanics dependent on these. However, to not be wholly negative, positives include adequate graphics, occasionally entertaining environments and fascinating bosses.

The framerate inexcusably lowers at times, unacceptable considering it's substandard the standards of PS4 graphics - entailing it should be easier to code smoother - and movement is restricted to a degree that does not increase tension or 'horror', it's an unnecessary restriction: contrived limitations, highly awkward in practice, to supposedly induce 'fear' with their superficial assumptions on survival horror design principles. The aforementioned misunderstanding, too, is witnessed with difficulty as instilling the fear of death rooted into survival, attempting to replicate Dark Souls which punishes players methodically as consequence opposed to irrational punishment as with The Evil Within or any other poorly balanced product.

You will die until numb. You will die senselessly and scream 'unfair', not 'OH MY GOD'. You will laugh at the repetitive gore that it indulges in as weak attempt at visceral horror. You will be amused at the schizophrenic direction that's embodied well with the disjointed, non-sequitur realities.You will laugh as they try to be cheesy for us to ignore specific flaws.

The worst element has been the manipulative marketing of the companies involved, hyping survival horror fanabases into a protective frenzy over 'Shinji',, provoking loyalty as they view the success as important for their favourite franchises being restored/returned/ressurected and having people believe it will be an infallible success whilst lacking any of the relevant ingredients.. It is not survival horror, it is a third-person shooter which has been superfluously replicated survival horror elements, trying to not betray their initial intent to attracted fans, that serve as incompatible to all of their other choices.

Where is the focus and the decisive, harmonious experience? Not The Evil Within. Where is true survival horror? Maybe Fatal Frame V will have to do and I hope it never, ever attempts the current trend in survival horror, horribly simplistic: hide-and-seek.

I can run long as Sebastian with how much I enjoyed The Evil WIthin and regard it as 'horror'. It mocked any idea of survival and twisted the idea into an empty one of mindless deaths: no suspense or theatrics, purely sadist.
  17. Oct 14, 2014
    Hardly a return to classic survival horror, this game feels more like a modern, action-focused TPS with some cliché "hollywood" scares railroaded as part of set pieces. The game utterly fails at generating horror or even tension from its (abundant) combat and exploration scenarios. The survival aspect is also highly ineffectual, as consumables such as ammunition and healing items are amplyHardly a return to classic survival horror, this game feels more like a modern, action-focused TPS with some cliché "hollywood" scares railroaded as part of set pieces. The game utterly fails at generating horror or even tension from its (abundant) combat and exploration scenarios. The survival aspect is also highly ineffectual, as consumables such as ammunition and healing items are amply replenished between major encounters. The only semblance of game-long resource management is in the form of ability upgrades.

This game has more in common with the Tomb Raider reboot or The Last of Us than Silent Hill or Resident Evil. It could be an interesting gateway game for people new to horror games, but long time fans can easily skip The Evil Within. However, fans of TPS or just action games in general are likely to find things to enjoy.
  18. Oct 14, 2014
    Great Story..One of the best titles of the previous generation is now available in all the next-gen.If you have yet to play The Evil Within, and you own a PlayStation 4, I can fully whole heartily say go buy this game, because you’re in for a memorable time. For fans, this is one you might want to pick up if you want to play the game at its best
  19. Oct 14, 2014
    I've only made it to the third chapter and I'm completely disgusted with the state of the game. First of all, the game isn't displayed in 1080p and looks terrible on a next gen console. Second of all, the game may claim to be of the action/horror genre, but all I'm seeing is predictable jump-scares and a laughable atmosphere that couldn't frighten a 3 year old and that is pathetic. Lastly,I've only made it to the third chapter and I'm completely disgusted with the state of the game. First of all, the game isn't displayed in 1080p and looks terrible on a next gen console. Second of all, the game may claim to be of the action/horror genre, but all I'm seeing is predictable jump-scares and a laughable atmosphere that couldn't frighten a 3 year old and that is pathetic. Lastly, the gameplay isn't fun nor is it even the least bit engaging. This is, yet again, another "horror" game that knows little to nothing about how to truly frighten its audience even remotely. Expand
  20. Oct 14, 2014
    Wow, THE most disappointing game i ever played. It is just horrible unfinished.
    I can´t understand how this game could be ranked this high!?? Are you mad people!?
    -Graphics are 10 years old. I am serious, it is really really bad. -Constant frame drops make it unplayable -Controls are a mess -No ammo so all you do is run, really boring -Feels really unfinished -Glitches everywhere
    Wow, THE most disappointing game i ever played. It is just horrible unfinished.

-Graphics are 10 years old. I am serious, it is really really bad.
    -Constant frame drops make it unplayable
    -Controls are a mess
    -No ammo so all you do is run, really boring
    -Feels really unfinished
    -Glitches everywhere

+Good atmosphere
  21. Oct 14, 2014
    I didn't play many chapters but the first ones were enough for me to return this game. Many people are complaining about the black bars but I didn't mind. I'm not a graphic enthusiast but the graphics are just horrific in my opinion. It's actually the first time where I complain about graphics. The story is neither bad nor good. Its gloominess can be compared to games like "The Last OfI didn't play many chapters but the first ones were enough for me to return this game. Many people are complaining about the black bars but I didn't mind. I'm not a graphic enthusiast but the graphics are just horrific in my opinion. It's actually the first time where I complain about graphics. The story is neither bad nor good. Its gloominess can be compared to games like "The Last Of Us".

What I really liked about this game was the enemy design.. but that's it. I have never played Resident Evil before and this is actually the first game by Shinji Mikami that I played.
    I really like this genre but it didn't shock me at all.

I'd borrow this game from a friend or a rental shop before buying it, especially because it has no MP or Co op.
  22. Sep 5, 2017
    This game is kind of a dissapointment, since the lack of emotional moments, to the uninspired characters ever, sometimes is not scary at all, the team that made the first resident evil games is not working in this game, Mikami was not the only person who made the old resident evil games, there was a team of designers and creators that made the old resident evil games a masterpiece, i haveThis game is kind of a dissapointment, since the lack of emotional moments, to the uninspired characters ever, sometimes is not scary at all, the team that made the first resident evil games is not working in this game, Mikami was not the only person who made the old resident evil games, there was a team of designers and creators that made the old resident evil games a masterpiece, i have several doubts about this title, all that i see is very far to even look like an old survival horror game. I really don't understand what they have made with the argument, one of the worst and weird plots ever made. The game, technically, deserves a 4, but i am giving it an extra point just for Mikami. Another failed attempt to bring back the survival horror, this game fails just like Deadly Premonition, most uninspired characters ever, the main character has no personality whatsoever, he did not react to the enviroment, buildings falling and other things, what the hell is going on? Too much fantasy in an "horror" game. So yes, like i said, this game is very far to even look like a survival horror game, it's too repetitive and boring. One of the worst things is the stealth system, man, one of the worst IA i saw, the enemies are incredibly stupid! i think the enemies in Resident Evil 4 are most clever than this one, ENEMIES NEVER SEE YOU, AND THE GAME BECOMES TOO EASY. there's no challenge at all, the difficulty in this game is way too easy. The RPG elements ruin the whole experience (SINCE WHEN THE "HORROR" GAMES HAVE RPG AND STEALTH ELEMENTS), **** no. There's nothing new about this game, there's nothing fresh, no innovations, they took the elements from previous resident evil games, the open door mechanics from RE 4, burn the bodies, from RE 1 remake, the general mechanics, from the awful deadly premonition, and the general rpg elements and traps disarming from Last of us.

Positive(+):
    - The attempt (failed) to bring survival horror back, what a shame this game is not a good one.
    - Some interesting moments
    - Horror atmosphere and eerie feeling (but still action focused)
    - Rewarded exploration
    - Good variety of weapons and objects

Negative(-):
    - This game is focused in action, not in exploration or puzzle solving.
    - The characters are very uninspired, their lack of personality is the worst thing i noticed.
    - The graphics are very outdated, it looks like a ps2 or an early ps3 game.
    - The music is not good or memorable.
    - The game is too easy, not challenge at all.
    - No new ideas, nothing fresh, this game took elements of previous games, like trap disarming from last of us, burn bodies from resident evil remake, some details like kick doors, or the knife use from Resident evil 4, there's nothing new in this title, every aspect is recycled from other games.
    - The melee combat system is mediocre, no strategy when facing enemies unarmed.
    - The stealth system just idoes not work, the executions are all the same and the enemy AI seems very dumb.
    - The lack of personality in the characters! They have no special personality, take resident evil 2 for example (a good game), Leon is an amateur cop, a very ambicious man, a very protective one, he is confident and well prepared. In evil within, all characters have the same boring personality.

Greetings to real gamers.
  23. Oct 14, 2014
    When you create game that have graphic quality below the last of us remastered quality, you also add 2 bars on screen so amount of graphic that need to be generated is even less THEN game is not allowed to work 30 fps with a lot of drops to 15 fps... THIS IS NEXT GEN.. (should be). Not even stable 30 fps.
  24. Oct 14, 2014
    This game is a dissapointment, since the lack of emotional moments, to the uninspired characters ever, no scary at all, the team that made the first resident evil games is not working in this game, Mikami was not the only person who made the old resident evil games, there was a team of designers and creators that made the old resident evil games a masterpiece, i have several doubts aboutThis game is a dissapointment, since the lack of emotional moments, to the uninspired characters ever, no scary at all, the team that made the first resident evil games is not working in this game, Mikami was not the only person who made the old resident evil games, there was a team of designers and creators that made the old resident evil games a masterpiece, i have several doubts about this title, all that i see is very far to even look like an old survival horror game

i agree
  25. Oct 16, 2015
    In terms of survival horror gameplay and level design, this game is a breath of fresh air. The evil within is undeniably creepy without relying on jump scares. Ammo is precious and going in guns blazing isn't always the best plan. Speaking of guns, the shooting mechanics are very satisfying and the upgrade system encourages going the extra mile and exploring the environments to findIn terms of survival horror gameplay and level design, this game is a breath of fresh air. The evil within is undeniably creepy without relying on jump scares. Ammo is precious and going in guns blazing isn't always the best plan. Speaking of guns, the shooting mechanics are very satisfying and the upgrade system encourages going the extra mile and exploring the environments to find resources and spare parts. The story, however, is lacking. The main character is exremely uninteresting and reacts to things in an unbelievably apathetic way. The plot throws him from one situation to another in a scatter-brained manner, providing very little context. All in all, the evil within is what survival horror fans have been wanting since resident evil 4 and it's a must buy for next gen systems Expand
  26. Nov 2, 2015
    Highly underrated by the press. This game is quite fun, and technically it is completely competent. Graphically it ranges from good to stellar and I personally haven't had any problems with the controls at all. If you enjoyed Resident Evil at all, you will like this game I guarantee.

It is nothing like Outlast as it really is not that scary. I find this game to be an entertaining psychological thriller, somewhat like Until Dawn except with more ability to affect your environment. The set pieces, the environment, is quite well done and you can see that this game was given attention and love in the environment.

Don't be put off by the negative reviews. I don't know what those reviewers were expecting, but I can fully recommend this game as a great buy at it's current price for anyone who either wants a new Resident Evil type experience, or enjoys Hollywood style psychological thriller movies.

Very well done, glad to have it in my library of games.

I'm giving this game a solid 8.
    For reference, I'd give The Witcher 3 (10), Destiny The Taken King (7.5), MGSV (8.5 low because of the 2nd chapter), Bloodborne (9.5), Batman Arkham Knight (8.5).

This game is a solid 8 even for those who don't adore the genre. If you love the genre you'll probably be very, very glad you got this game. Lastly, definitely do buy the version with the DLC as the DLC is substantial and very additive to the overall experience. Honestly, the DLC is essential to the full narrative. I hate that these companies chop up good games and repack them this way, but if you are going to buy this game, buy it with the DLC.

I'll address a few of the major complaints here and show you the alternative to them.

People frequently say the Melee combat is useless
    - Do you think a punch or even a knife attack on a creature that is wrapped in barbwire and penetrated by half a dozen sharp objects... Do you think they'd be bothered by a punch, kick, or knife attack?

The people complaining about Melee, honestly they are probably FPS folks who are used to seeing their super blazing fast knife rip through someone's jugular like a blade of pure sunlight.

Short answer, the Melee combat is spot on for THIS game. If this were call of duty I'd see their complaint. However, the objective of this game is NOT to rack up kills folks. You are supposed to feel weak and afraid of conflict, not like a super human bad ass GI JOE from hell. The Melee is spot on.

People often say the graphics are bad.
    - the developers were obviously going for a Hollywood film type effect. I totally like it and think it works. I play on a 60" TV, leaving the black bars on all the time and honestly, this game looks really good. It is not all shiny and dripping with bloom, HDR, etc. The graphics look better than I need them to and again I feel like the people complaining about this game are not the target audience.

This is simply a better game than resident evil 4, the last real resident evil we had. Please don't be scared to purchase it. I very nearly passed this by based on the reviews, but it was on sale with the DLC for under $30.

This game is completely technically, story, and environmentally pleasing and you really gotta see it for yourself. Once you play this you'll likely question who the heck is writing these negative reviews and what their agenda is. Or at least I did. It's getting very difficult to trust reviews these days. I was burnt hard on Destiny which turned out to be a total flop imo as it had absolutely no story whatsoever (TTK is a step in the right direction though).

If you see this game with DLC for $30 or less, it's a steal plain and simple.
    Even at $50 I think I'd personally feel satisfied, but it is currently at $30 and that is ludicrously good.
    I know the reviews have been unkind to this game, but I say take a chance on this one. I did, and I'm very pleased. It's the true Resident Evil successor we've been waiting for.

Have fun!
  27. Jan 5, 2016
    The Evil Within was very anticipated by the horror fans, Shinji Mikami as the father of Resident Evil promised the return of the true Survival Horror genre not the shooter with gore elements that was Resident Evil 6.
    Well in fact some might be disappointed because the game looks a lot more to Resident Evil 4, which was a great game but not really a survival game. Like in RE4 you aren't allowed to miss a lot of shots but if you're aim is good you'll never be short on ammo, some sequences are pure action but it also took the good things of the game with a great ambiance that give me the creeps more than once, good bosses and some true horror sequences. Gameplay wise I really cannot describe it better than the child of Resident Evil 4.

Technically I don't mind the two black lines that give a movie's style to the game (anyway you can deactivate them in the options) there wasn't any bugs during my playthrough and the graphics are okay thanks to great light effects that makes up for the average textures. But as an european player I have a complaint is that the game didn't include English voices (except in the United Kingdom of course) and that pisses off a pretty large community that don't want to hear wannabee actors doing voice overs when the english version have A-rank actors like Jennifer Carpenter and Anson Mount, really a stupid decision from Bethesda (As far as I know it's the only game of this generation in the case, and it was already pretty rare on the previous one).

Finally the story was fairly disappointing and just a mind to justify the horror but at least it will last 15 hours wich is good for the genre.

PS: If you buy the season pass (well only the two were you play Kidman are good but it's the same price if you buy them both or the season pass, might as well give a shot to the boring "Executioner"), the story gets a little better and in addition the gameplay of those is true survival horror, I really advise them they are great and last more or less 5 hours for the two about Kidman (if they were included I would rate the game a 9 instead of an 8).

In conclusion Evil Within is a good game especially if you like the horror genre, even if maybe there's a little too much action. it might be the beginning of new horror franchise that could really be a reference if they follow the path of the two DLC's "The Assignment" and "The Consequence".
  28. Oct 11, 2015
    Shinji Mikami I'm waiting for a second game! Since the first minute I already fell in love wiht the game, the characters, and everything is great, ithe story t's just a little confuse somethimes
  29. Jan 2, 2016
    Welcome back mr. Mikami-son, the horror genre/game industry missed you! When i first heard that mikami was directing this game i had one purpose!, buy this game as soon as it was released! Unfortunaley that didnt happen until mid 2015 lol. Anyway, the positives, graphics: its great! Everything looks dirty/grimey/slimey/bloody etc almost as if to give silent hill a nod for inspiration andWelcome back mr. Mikami-son, the horror genre/game industry missed you! When i first heard that mikami was directing this game i had one purpose!, buy this game as soon as it was released! Unfortunaley that didnt happen until mid 2015 lol. Anyway, the positives, graphics: its great! Everything looks dirty/grimey/slimey/bloody etc almost as if to give silent hill a nod for inspiration and thats definitely a plus! Music: it can be extremly haunting at times while none existent in other areas of the game but ultimately the music fits well with the enviroment your playing in. Sound: i think this is where the evil within really shines! Walking or running down hall ways, streets, forests or caves have never been scarier. The enemies grunts, screams and moans are very convincing ESPECIALLY when your being chased by the four arm woman(dam she wqs tough to beat) Enemies: the enemey designs are pretty creepy like the tall monster that seemed to be nailed to a cross to the really deformed bosses which are a combination of gross looking and hard to kill. Gameplay: sebastion has lots of weapons at his disposal but the crossbow will most likely be your bestie throughout the game oh and the matches and very helpful when you want enemies to STAY dead! Besides shooting though, the gameplay is pretty straight forward, you can shoot duck/duck behind cover(kidman only) run etc. Scare factor: i'll give a solid 7 as the game deviates between traditional horror to actionmode in some areas, its balanced enough to where any fan of both genres will enjoy this game.

Now the negatives. Pop up/slash detail of background delay. In some areas of the game, particularly in the cinematics, some aspects of the background gets drawn in at the last minute. It isnt very distracting but noticable. Difficulty: this is probably the worst aspect of the game because in one section or room, the enemies can be pushovers while others will be difficult to kill especially since this game barely gi es you ammo(the most ammo i ever picked up was five bullets) Puzzels: puzzles exist in the evil within, just dont expect them to the brain teasers you experienced in games like silent hill or classic resident evil games.characters: besides the guy that runs mobius(the guy with the sinister shadow claws) i generally didnt care about sebastion or kidman, they werent badly developed, just nit developed to their full potential. Other than that, the evip within accomplished what it set out to do, give gamers a good scare while running through ruvik/ruben's twisted nightmare while doing everything you can to survive. This game gets a solid 8/10! Im looking forward to a sequel to this game in the future!
  30. Feb 7, 2016
    After Alien Isolation it was hard to get into TW and not keep expectations high, but, I was surprised. The game is a masterpiece. Whilst the Stealth may not be up to par with AI, the encounter set pieces make it outshine the rest in this stale genre.

The Evil Within is a completely fantastical ride with a plot that centers on the antagonist rather than your protagonists, and it's a refreshing change from the MC centered messes most games are. The dream sequences are surreal and unnerving as you literally trudge through the mind of your aggressor with little control over the surrounds. I find it hilarious that this game's narrative was put down, when it's one of the most well written games on the market as it follows the convention of the plot and events being centered on someone other than the Central Character. I will not go into detail (it's metacritic for the love of all things holy), but yeah, those exist, where the character is at the mercy of the plot. What a shocker, right?

And this game does it so well as you are literally tossed around at the whim of another's mind; it’s a perfect connotative and denotative aspect of this type of writing, handled with literal perfection in TW. Trust me, people, you do not have to be so ruefully idiotic to not know that there are different types of narrative schemes. What a shame that average gamers (and reviewers) are quite pitifully pathetic in their grasp of this simple fact. What a shame indeed, and thus, love to project their obtuse mindset onto the game. I swear it, it's because of gamers as to why we have to suffer through such poorly written stories that amass the market. You people have no one to blame, but yourselves.

But, moving on ... the lack of control over your own psyche, what you feel and see is so brilliant that very few games delve that deep into the quagmire of confusion and psychological disparity between your aggressor and the mostly-quiet hero. It captures the feel of dream segments and the "bizarre landscape of the mind" concept with near finesse. There are very few games that capture the atmosphere this masterfully … very few.

The set pieces are brilliant as you can approach a situation in many different ways. You can either disarm the traps or use them against the enemies, take them head on or take a stealth approach and it all boils down to how quick you are on your toes; it’s all about keeping a level-headed approach.

The bosses are varied and challenging. The environmental puzzle fight with a certain someone (I will not spoil as to whom it is) and the unnerving slow methodical chase through the mansion sequence test your wits again; should I run or hide, what will be the best course of action? It is these kind of “intelligent” decisions that are missing from power fantasy, poor man’s games that throng the industry and are suffocating it and this challenging and genre-defying game (like AI) comes as a breath of fresh air.

Sure, there are a few faults. The letterbox was a bad choice and the crouch mechanic does not share the fluidity of Amanda’s movement; it’s clunky and the camera angle needs work here. Levels 11 and 12 bring the experience down quite a bit by being so over-the-top action sequences. They could have been merged together (and abridged) with the best parts such as the main antagonist’s doppelganger and the water monsters being the main threat, as the ambulance mission was in need of serious polishing and editing. But, thankfully, they are of short stay and hence do not mar the over all experience.

However, as the rest of the game stays mostly consistent, it would be a shame to bring the whole thing down just for these two as even these have their highlights … as few as they may be. The point I am trying to make is that people should look at the complete experience and not nitpick over small missteps. That is a terrible attitude an average gamer has and it’s ruining the VG industry as a whole; the desire for all games to be hand-holding, dull and easy games that a 5 year old can manage.

Few checkpoints and save stations are heaven sent, as you truly feel that you are just scraping by and barely surviving, only accentuated more by sparse resources that make you feel and think that, “make your every step and shot count.” One misstep and the game punishes you, as it should. The lax treatment in other games is the reason why we have such poor games saturating the industry, where the game even tells you where the boss’ weak points are. I suppose the next step would be when devs hand out long tutorials to find keys on a keyboard, as I feel as if I am playing a game aimed at a gibbon rather than a human being. This trend of “cake-walk gaming” needs to go. Period.

Forget whether you are a fan of the genre or not, give TW a try as it brings something very refreshing to the table (dream psychology) and makes it shine with breathtaking atmosphere that will make your skin crawl. Paradoxical? True, but that is what TW is; an unsettling beauty.
  31. Dec 27, 2015
    Was für ein Spiel, es ist schwer und das ist das gute an diesem Spiel es ist immer wieder eine neue Herausforderung, es bringt einen zum Rand der Verzweiflung, man will am liebsten die Disc zerstören, aber versucht das Level nochmal und wenn es dann nach 20 Versuchen endlich klappt, dann ist man Stolz. Zusammengefasst es beschäftigt einen sehr lang und hat einen riesen Wiederspielwert.
  32. May 28, 2015
    Story was very well done, and a ton of effort was used to create a believe dream state style world. Slightly more emphasis on sneaking and less on quick time events, but otherwise a top notch, beautiful game with a great story!
  33. May 7, 2018
    Imagina : Resident Evil 4 + Silent Hill + The Last of Us = The Evil Within

Imagina : Resident Evil 4 + Silent Hill + The Last of Us = The Evil Within

Del Residente al Interior . La obra de Shinji Mikami no deja indiferente . Si bien no es perfecta , es un survival tiene muy buen ritmo en su trama , alternando situaciones diferentes constantemente de forma que no nos sentimos estar repitiendo lo mismo todo el rato . Considero que se podría haber sacado más partido al sigilo , ajustar más la curva de dificultad y ofrecer un control más tosco que a veces desespera .No obstante , la atmósfera agobiante que tiene , el surrealismo de su trama y los combates contra los jefes finales suman mucho a la experiencia final , que acelera vertiginosamente en su último tercio .

Un imprescindible en toda regla para los amantes del Survival Horror . Aunque eso sí , no esperes un título de terror , no lo es . Es acción con momentos tensos y algún susto puntual .

Mi valoración real sería de 8,6 . Pero vista la crítica negativa que hay no me importa subir esas décimas hasta el 9
  34. Jan 11, 2020
    A truly disappointing title. Terrible controls, poor story, appalling AI and boring, memorization gameplay techniques kill any sense of dread or horror and turn it into a repetitive, frustrating drudge. Stealth doesn't work in horror Imo... If you're good at it, it means you're invulnerable which isn't frightening, if you're not good at it, it means you get killed immediately and have toA truly disappointing title. Terrible controls, poor story, appalling AI and boring, memorization gameplay techniques kill any sense of dread or horror and turn it into a repetitive, frustrating drudge. Stealth doesn't work in horror Imo... If you're good at it, it means you're invulnerable which isn't frightening, if you're not good at it, it means you get killed immediately and have to repeat the same scene over and over which also kills the horror. The two genres don't mix for me, which is sad because stealth and horror appear to be becoming inextricably linked in the minds of game developers. Expand
  35. Apr 4, 2015
    after a long time without a good evil game the evil within is awesome , as everything that a resident evil game should have game 100% worth , 10/10..!
  36. Mar 23, 2015
    Well I would give this 8.5. It's is really well made and thought out game, with quite good story for a video game, great artistic environments, with extremely simple level design, where you not bothered too much about backtracking or anything like that.

The length of the game is also a plus. I completed it in 15 or 16 hours on 'survival'. There are plenty of cutscenes, and well made environments, all levels are very different and distinct, its never gonna be like you think it feels familiar, not a single time. I am surprised that they managed to make all the ugly, old, creepy, dark environments with so much character.

The horror element, yes there were few creepy and scary moments, but just at the beginning, then it's basically gritty and unpleasant feeling throughout the game.

The combat is what I dont like too much. First in the game where there aren't that many bullets, the meele attacts are extremely inefective, even though guys uses knife for stealth kills, he doesn't use it combat. It might around 20 hits to kill a lowest enemy. Sure you can get a axe or a torch and get a instakill, but only once. However the burning of the downed enemies or oil puddles are quite cool, but it's not 100% reliable, what I mean that if you burn a corpse or downed enemy, not always or not every enemy that is at required distance, will burn also. But i guess it has point as nothing in the game is reliable, just like headshots, which is weird as hell, as you always are used in all the shooting games that headshot is a kill - not necessarily in the evil within. So for these things game loses 1 point.

While the story might not be the best, but the way you see it unfold is really nice. I won't be telling how, because it would be quite a spoiler.

Graphics? I'm never too fussed about it too much, I'm more into imersion most of the time, I did really enjoyed the textures and details on all the walls etc.

I do reccomend the game for people who are dissapointed with grecent games as I am. So this was quite fresh breath of air.

8.5 and reccomend
  37. Apr 9, 2015
    The Evil Within is a game that surprised me in a good way. I was a bit skeptical at first, but shortly after starting to play it, I was hypnotised by this awesome game. The graphics were pretty good, and the gameplay was similar to The Last Of Us in some ways, which is a good thing. Now, the story is a bit hard to understand, but if you can crack it down, you will surely see that this gameThe Evil Within is a game that surprised me in a good way. I was a bit skeptical at first, but shortly after starting to play it, I was hypnotised by this awesome game. The graphics were pretty good, and the gameplay was similar to The Last Of Us in some ways, which is a good thing. Now, the story is a bit hard to understand, but if you can crack it down, you will surely see that this game has an amazing story. It isn't repetitive at all and some parts are really spooky. Overall, I think this is a great game that is worth buying and I hope that a sequel comes out and answer all the questions that were left unanswered. Expand
  38. Aug 22, 2015
    This is by far one of the best horror games we have had in a while.It felt similar to RES4 thanks to mikami developing both games,but in my personal opinion it surpasses RES4 in terms of atmoshpere,horror and Environments.The Game has a nice plot and the characters are interesting.One of it's greatest highlights is Ruvik.A psychotic Genius wih superhuman speed who's able to teleport nearThis is by far one of the best horror games we have had in a while.It felt similar to RES4 thanks to mikami developing both games,but in my personal opinion it surpasses RES4 in terms of atmoshpere,horror and Environments.The Game has a nice plot and the characters are interesting.One of it's greatest highlights is Ruvik.A psychotic Genius wih superhuman speed who's able to teleport near and instakill his enemies.The atmosphere and music are amazing and really add to the overall expeience.Even though the game is being judge for having too much action,such as the chase scenes or the near escapes,i believe that by keeping you on your toes ,the game breaks the regural sneaking and looting and contributes greatly into one amazing gaming experience.Horrifying,limited supplies and brutal monsters to deal with,this is a game for any survival horror fan that has loved both Resident Evil and Silent Hill since the game feels like a perfected fusion of the two. Expand
  39. Oct 22, 2014
    Should you buy it? If you're a fan of Resident Evil, I would say "yes, but wait for it". The graphics for the environments are great, and at times this game feels honestly terrifying, with level crafting that makes you feel a powerless and impending sense of dread at progressing. Some of the area designs are quite familiar - mental hospitals and dark jungles and such - but they manage toShould you buy it? If you're a fan of Resident Evil, I would say "yes, but wait for it". The graphics for the environments are great, and at times this game feels honestly terrifying, with level crafting that makes you feel a powerless and impending sense of dread at progressing. Some of the area designs are quite familiar - mental hospitals and dark jungles and such - but they manage to be executed so well that it doesn't quite matter that they're not the most unique.

Having said that, though, while I feel this game excels in creating atmosphere, it excels yet more so in ruining that atmosphere by over the top cinematic scenes that would fit right in alongside Michael Bay-like explosions. Almost 10 minutes into the game, and a man with a chainsaw blunders around screaming after you, destroying any sense of subtle dread I felt, and not 5 minutes after that, the entire city begins collapsing in a catastrophic earthquake, with no immediate or adequate justification. Then, we morph into a level up area that fills so many horror cliche checkboxes that I'm less creeped out and more bored by how nondescript the black-and-white not-really-a-dream creepy-mental-hospital.

The enemies themselves aren't conducive to a horror, either. Zombies in all but name-only, they resemble the cartoonish bosses of Resident Evil more than the oddly unsettling variants found in Silent Hill and Forbidden Siren. They're also introduced in the familiar dramatic way - the first one I encountered sparked a cutscene, which already removed my immersion, in which barbed wire exploded all over their bodies - and about an hour or two into the game, I stopped feeling the tenseness that I had during the hospital scene at the start. I began to recognise that this game wasn't out to frighten me, it was out to make me jump. The scares became predictable in the same way Resident Evil's were.

The gore engine isn't properly applied, either. This game takes an approach that I would find more appropriate in the mind of a 13 year old teenage boy - the more guts, the better! It doesn't fit with the tense and subtle aura of terror the game is trying to create? Who cares, severed heads and people exploding into barbed wire, woo!

Similarly, the story is hanging by a thread. Like most Japanese survival horror games, it is sustained mostly by in-game documents that provide less in the way of exposition and more in the way of filler text, there to give the illusion of depth or gravity to the situation, only to fall flat with me. It never feels properly woven into the narrative, instead coming off as a cheap tacked-on aside that they added when someone pointed out that games have to actually have a plot. The characters are thimble-deep, only existing as an avatar for you to maneuver around the spooky landscape, a far cry from the fleshed out James Sunderland, whose psychological troubles are reflected even in the town itself. There's no connection or mystery: start at point A, go to point B, get jump scared by some zombies, arrive at point B, find teammate, lose teammate, repeat.

The gameplay, too, is lackluster. I would often find that controls stuck and the camera whizzed around into awkward places, sometimes ending up in an unfair death. However, I feel as if this issue isn't really game-breaking. It certainly isn't new; even Silent Hill 2, the father of all horror games, had beyond appalling camerawork and tank-like controls that got me killed more than a few times. The Evil Within is much more navigable than that, even if a little frustrating. In fact, it could even contribute to the sense of fear you feel when being chased by whatever cookie-cutter monster of the week locates you.
  40. Mar 18, 2015
    Survival horror at it's finest. If you ever griped about Resident Evil losing it's roots by becoming an action shooter, this game is for you. You spend most of the game limping around with little health and not enough ammo to take down what is chasing you. Great fun that doesn't sell out to the lowest common denominator like most modern games do.
  41. Nov 30, 2014
    I didn´t like the ambiance of gore that i saw in the trailers until the game´s launch. But in this moment i´m playing chapter six and I´m loving the game, your story and your terrorific ambiance. It´s one the great games of Shinji Mikami, like RE2, RE remake or RE4. And one of the surprise of this year for the terror game´s lovers.
  42. Apr 6, 2015
    I am a huge fan of psychological horror and am greatly enjoying this game. I heard about it because the creator made the earlier Resident Evil games but was impressed with the more serious tone this game has over the rather bizarre dialogue in RE games.

The game had many areas that made me feel uneasy. This game is difficult - I'm playing on the easy difficulty and am almost finished the game but must have already died over 50 times. There are sequences where you solve puzzles while in combat which is very harrowing - way better than slowly moving blocks to reach a key. Some of the bosses are frightening and to get through them I have to keep mentally telling myself that I'm solving a puzzle and not running from something that is going to rip off my head.

I also am a horror fan generally and while the game borrows from usually unrelated horror tropes, I'm still enjoying the experience. Zombies, Texas Chainsaws, Pyramid Heads, Japanese Horror, Experimentations gone wrong, altered realities - these are all present.

As far as story and atmosphere I would put this right under Silent Hill but still a great effort.
  43. Oct 25, 2014
    The Evil Within is a dark and twisted survival horror masterpiece! Everything from the dark and grimy environments to the evil and twisted looking enemies fills you with a sense of dread. This sense of dread is soon replace by a nail biting sense of tension every time a group of enemies enter the room, as you frantically check your ammo supply and ask yourself "do I have enough to make itThe Evil Within is a dark and twisted survival horror masterpiece! Everything from the dark and grimy environments to the evil and twisted looking enemies fills you with a sense of dread. This sense of dread is soon replace by a nail biting sense of tension every time a group of enemies enter the room, as you frantically check your ammo supply and ask yourself "do I have enough to make it through this?" If you are a fan of horror, and or love Shinji Mikami's previous work then go pick yourself up a copy of Evil Within ASAP! Expand
  44. Oct 21, 2014
    This game has some really good spots, but so far the melee of the game is useless, the story is pretty much the anime version of Resident Evil. The use of gore seems more important than suspense. The fail of this game comes from pacing and the sluggish way they create a sense of suspense. You have to do more than limit a persons ammo and use gore to create a suspense. Bethseda as usualThis game has some really good spots, but so far the melee of the game is useless, the story is pretty much the anime version of Resident Evil. The use of gore seems more important than suspense. The fail of this game comes from pacing and the sluggish way they create a sense of suspense. You have to do more than limit a persons ammo and use gore to create a suspense. Bethseda as usual gives up great graphics and great sound but that is not enough to rate it higher. For suspense I would go with Alien Isolation. Expand
  45. Feb 28, 2015
    After leaving past projects behind, Shinji Mikami creates his own team and strives to make another great installment in the survival horror genre, and what we get is a good but flawed experience that doesn't live up to the expectations many fans had. However, that doesn't mean that the Evil Within is not an enjoyable experience.

The Evil Within stars Detective Sebastian Castellanos and

The Evil Within stars Detective Sebastian Castellanos and his colleagues, Joseph and Kidman, who arrive on the scene of a massacre at Beacon Mental Hospital. Very quickly, everything goes to hell and Seb is forced to survive in a new twisted reality. Ultimately, the story is the weakest part of this whole game, by far. Seb’s bland reactions, lack of common sense and weak responses hardly do anything to make the story compelling, and while the voice acting is good across the board, dialogue is not. Seb is transported from area to area and he brushes it off without a second thought. Events happen where people try to kill each other, causing mistrust and drama, only for said events to be completely forgotten the next time these characters meet. There’s not even any semblance of plot until the game’s ninth chapter, but at that point, the story becomes so complicated just for the sake of being complicated, only for you to reach the end with so many questions unanswered. The subplot that builds up concerning Seb’s family ultimately builds up to nothing, and the story ultimately doesn't make much sense by the end.

Overall, the story is a complete fail, so it’s up to the rest of the game to hold it up, and it succeeds in that regard. Inventory management in a world with limited resources is key to surviving, and it’s up to you to be smart and tactical to get through the journey, relying more on stealth and conserving ammo rather than go guns blazing. It’s a sure fire way to get killed. Aside from this, there’s also some light crafting and even an upgrade system, allowing you to upgrade your health, sprint, and even your firearms.

The combat is a mixed bag. As fun as it is, it’s no secret that the aiming isn't very good. It zooms in too close and feels stiff, and the crosshair doesn't accurately represent a bullet’s trajectory. It can make scoring a headshot more difficult than it should be, especially with the pistol. Luckily, there’s a good variety of weapons; shotguns, sniper rifles, and my favorite, the crossbow, which has multiple types of bolts, letting you freeze enemies, set them on fire, and even electrocute them. The crossbow is that weapon you’ll rely on when you're cornered and need an out.

Another new mechanic is using matches to burn bodies, instantly killing prone enemies and possibly burning adjacent enemies as well. It’s always satisfying to burn a body just as an enemy runs at you, but it’s also just as frustrating when it fails to work. Although fun, the inconsistency with the matches actually working makes it a fun, useful, but ultimately an unreliable mechanic at best.

The game’s number one strength is the vast amount of different level designs. Along with the sections that are centered on horror, there are plenty of small puzzles, action sections, and even a few stealth sections. The vast and varied amount of levels are impressive, and I often marveled at the different obstacles and boss fights the game threw at me. There are a few cheap bosses here and there, but for the most part, they're fun.

There are a few small complaints like the bad AI for your partner Joseph, but the game’s worst sin is easily when an enemy attacks you. Never have I found a game that actually immobilizes you just to watch an enemy hit you with their weapon. It’s completely asinine because it prevents you from defending yourself and opens you up to all enemy attacks around you. It’s easily the most frustrating mechanic of the game, by far.

Nowhere are the game’s flaws more prominent than in Nightmare mode. Essentially hard mode, all the mechanics and flaws in the game’s design become even more noticeable, constantly hitting you with cheap, unfair shots. The epic boss fight against Laura becomes a frustrating bullet sponge that one shots you and the game spams bear traps during the action sequences which is the absolute worst decision because you can’t keep an eye on bear traps and your enemies at the same time. A true testament to the difficulty is the game’s death counter. On my first playthrough on Normal I died 17 times, but on my first run on Nightmare, I died a record 64, not including the deaths that caused me to quit out of frustration.

Despite the game’s many frustrations, the Evil Within is a game I look back at fondly, with memories of the boss fights and many of the awesome level designs I loved to play through. If you’re expecting a terrifying scare fest, the lack of horror sections might turn you off, but the game is ultimately a good survival horror game. Just don’t play on Nightmare, or your experience might be ruined.
  46. Jul 13, 2015
    Honestly, I don't get why a lot of people soured on this game. First off, if you're expecting to play an updated version of Resident Evil 4, then yeah you're going to be really disappointed. This game is completely different from RE4. Yes, it can be a challenge especially if you're playing on Akumu mode. And they did update the game where you can turn off the letterbox look in the game.Honestly, I don't get why a lot of people soured on this game. First off, if you're expecting to play an updated version of Resident Evil 4, then yeah you're going to be really disappointed. This game is completely different from RE4. Yes, it can be a challenge especially if you're playing on Akumu mode. And they did update the game where you can turn off the letterbox look in the game. The boss are truly difficult and the first two DLCs do a great job of expanding the main story, providing insight into Juli Kidman. If there was something to complain about it would be the lack of ammo for the rocket launcher you unlock after finishing the game. Why isn't there an option for infinite rockets or maybe infinite ammo? Otherwise this was a compelling game to play and some of the puzzles were a little challenging. If you like playing games with a challenge like Bloodborne, then this game is right up your alley! Enjoy and be tortured lol! Expand
  47. Dec 12, 2014
    As a true gamer (not necessarily hard core, but love playing games), evil within is definitely a very good game. I wouldnt say 10 point is a fair score, but 7.2 is totally not enough. this game is at least 8.8.
    You may found there are around 150 negative reviews. I am telling you they are telling the truth. This game is really unsuitable for casual gamers. For those casual gamers, please do select the easy mode starting the game. However, only when you play normal mode, can you realize how well designed this game is.
    You have to really think before your every move. The ammunition is limited, health is limited, but the monsters are always powerful. I believe those who deliberately underscore this game, seldom use their brain before actions. Sometimes sneaking is the best solution, sometimes running away is, and sometimes shoot the enemy down is the best option. You have to decide for yourself and sometimes try a lot of times before moving on.
    I love this game even more than dark souls 2, because it provides fair challenges for gamers like myself. You do not need to farm the monster to make the character stronger, but you need to farm the assignment (by repeating the assignment many times) to make yourself (the true you) stronger. As you become stronger, the character grows with you. However, this game will not become less challenging as you become stronger. It provides varying challenges with different combination of enemies, environment and even resources. There are really some frustrating times that I have to stop the game for a while and think how to go on. But once you find a way to move on, the satisfaction is immense.
    In fact I was confused why would some reviewers say this game is without variation. I just realized that maybe they were just trying shoot every monsters down like COD.... Believe me, none of the challenges in this game will let you feel boring
    Anyway this is really a good game for non-casual gamers, and as I write this review, I suddenly feel that any score under 9 is already an underscore.
  48. Feb 24, 2015
    the game is pretty creepy in somehow, does give you that feeling you want from a survval horror game, i found the gameplay is not much special, it could be fun with lights off and couple of friends that want get scare. Shame everytime you die u have to restart and take to much time to load. is still a nice game if u have nothing else to play. i give it a 7
  49. Nov 24, 2014
    This game is awesome. If you loved Resident Evil 4 (which you should have) you will love this game. The genre has done nothing progressive since RE4, it's only gotten worse. This is a return to form. It's awesome.
  50. Nov 16, 2015
    Overall, The Evil Within is a solid return to form for the survival-horror genre. Fans of classic horror games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill will rejoice. The game offers many gut wrenching moments and plenty of scares, along with pretty visuals, a gloomy atmosphere, unique and terrifying enemies and a genuinely fun experience. Unfortunately, it has a few flaws, such as some cheapOverall, The Evil Within is a solid return to form for the survival-horror genre. Fans of classic horror games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill will rejoice. The game offers many gut wrenching moments and plenty of scares, along with pretty visuals, a gloomy atmosphere, unique and terrifying enemies and a genuinely fun experience. Unfortunately, it has a few flaws, such as some cheap enemies, wonky combat, a few technical issues and bland characters. Flashes of Resident Evil 4 brilliance is here, which is a huge compliment. Through the distracting annoyances, you’ll still want to keep playing, because the fun factor is there. That says a lot about The Evil Within. Expand
  51. Oct 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rough. That one word sums up how I feel about this game. The director tried to pull off a horror game that borders between action and survival, but I don't believe he accomplished his goal.

The game is closer to action than survival and this has probably confused some people, raising complaints about low ammunition supplies, awkward camera angles, and rather boring play. Yet, the player character's pacing is not quite action. Gamers looking for a survival experience might not like the uninteresting usage of playable elements to accomplish goals. Both sides of the complaint are probably correct.

Then there are story and character credibility issues, which I can usually overlook for the sake of gameplay. I found them too annoying in The Evil Within. In the beginning, your character's leg is injured and you limp along. Not much later, you are running around and it's never explained how except we might assume it's all just a bizarre dream. Or something. A monster quickly scales fences like an angry spider, hops around with springy agility, and tears apart metal chain link as if it were warm butter, yet it can't seem to jump across some piping to attack you or break down checkpoint and cutscene doors.

Occasionally, you experience a WTF moment, like going back for Joseph's glasses after escaping a zombie dog mini-boss, or whatever it was. Afterword, your character comments how ridiculous that was - so why include it? I won't go into more of these moments because they are too painful to reconsider.

Top this game off with a somewhat confusing story and you've got a mess of a game. The story starts confusing and only begins to make some sense as you progress. Sometimes it's interesting, if not a little angsty and cliche. (Great! another black haired monster that looks like it crawled out of the movie "The Ring".) I give the director credit for trying a disconnected plot structure but he can get away with this immediate confusion only because the player might be compelled to continue playing out the action first, hoping the story eventually makes sense. If this had been a book and your focus was on just the story, the reader probably would have quit after the first or second chapter.

I'm not even sure I find the game scary or fun to play. I can think of a number of horror games, such as Fatal Frame, that I enjoy much more than this title. Many of them on the PS2; so, sometimes I go back and play them. I don't think I will do the same for this title
  52. Nov 1, 2014
    I have waited almost 2 years for this game bc I respect the creator of resident evil. I was expecting a game like RE1,2,3,CV. Instead I found a RE4 clone with almost non-existent narrative or even one single "scene" with the main charactor having a dialogue with the main villain. That is the biggest negative from this game for me.... I was left unsatisfied of the story as it wasn'tI have waited almost 2 years for this game bc I respect the creator of resident evil. I was expecting a game like RE1,2,3,CV. Instead I found a RE4 clone with almost non-existent narrative or even one single "scene" with the main charactor having a dialogue with the main villain. That is the biggest negative from this game for me.... I was left unsatisfied of the story as it wasn't explained or at least given a worthy scene. Shinji is known for making mysterious games which is awesome but at least in RE1 you had a scene with Wesker and Jill or a confrontation dialogue... this game has nothing.

Regardless, I am giving this a great rating because you can tell the creators made this game with passion, originality and with talented artistic direction.

The first 30 minutes is the BEST I have ever scene in a video game... it was truly epic. Even the first few villages it was very very enchanting and the lore seemed perfect. Personally, I felt it got blemished after CH7 because it felt like the last of us(empty buildings, jump through a hole in a wall that leads to another building, pick up ammo, etc)....

Also, there was barely any puzzles like RE1,2,3...

I thought he wanted to make a game for the core audience again???

I felt it was really dishonest promotion. This game IS NOT classic survival horror (no puzzle, only 1st hour has tention, no worthy dialogue scenes).

but what it does well...it does EXCEPTIONALLY well!
  53. Jan 7, 2015
    Sadly, we don’t see a lot of good horror games coming out these days; however, after hearing that creator of the original Resident Evil and Resident Evil 4 Shiniji Mikami was behind The Evil Within, it instantly became one of my highly anticipated games.

The Evil Within is a 3rd person survival horror video game. Our hero protagonist detective Sebastian Castellanos along with his partners receives a call to investigate a mass murder at a mental hospital. He is shocked at the horrific bloody scene but is then knocked out by a mysterious person who appears from behind him and drags him into another unknown world. Sebastian wakes up and finds himself hung upside down.

The introduction is strong as you are quickly immersed in an Evil atmosphere. Your first encounter is with a disfigured butcher who will stop at nothing to kill you. It is a psychological horror and your main goal is to escape from this nightmare.

The world of The Evil Within is dark with rich environments that are detailed and varied from mansions to deserted farms. Graphics in general don’t use the next gens full potential and I did notice some frame rate drops during my gameplay. The sounds are creepy and done well giving you the feeling that you are never alone. Light effects are immersive especially when Sebastian is carrying the Lantern which creates a truly eerie experience.

The creatures are varied and encounters with them are tense. One type of creature worth noting is the invisible kind because you can only know where they are, from moving objects. Focusing in the game is important because the environment is filled with traps and deadly dangers. Thankfully, you will have a lot of options to approach each fight.

Ammo is scarce so you will have to rely on the environment to use to your advantage by luring the creatures into traps. Playing stealthy and sneaking behind an enemy for an instant kill will save you a lot of precious bullets and burning their bodies by using matches will insure that they don’t get back up. There are various weapons that can be found from a sniper, to a powerful shotgun and grenades; however, my favorite weapon was the agony crossbow that has different bolts such as the explosive bolts which is useful for large groups of enemies, freeze bolts that can freeze enemies for a short period of time and flash bolts that blinds them for a while. Bolts can be crafted from trap parts or found in the environment.

The overall stealth mechanics could have been better, you are able to hide in closets and under the bed but I found myself rarely using them. You can run and if you reach your limit Sebastian will just stop running to catch his breath instead of slowing down. This was a nice touch as it added tension especially if a monster was chasing you.

There is an eye on top of the screen that lets you know if enemies see you, but I faced cases where they would see me before the eye opening. There are auto saves and manual saves. In the manual saves, you will come across save mirrors which transport you back to your asylum room for a few minutes of relief to save your game; however, it also doesn’t feel very safe with dark rooms everywhere and a creepy nurse walking around. I didn’t find the auto saves well balanced and since you will die so many times during the game, repeating some set pieces all over again is frustrating. In your Asylum room, you will also be able to upgrade your abilities such as health, ammo capacity and weapon power. This is done by collecting green liquid on corpses and jars scattered throughout the environment that gains you points that will be used to upgrade.
    Choosing wisely on what skill to focus on is key because the green liquid isn’t very common to find.

The well designed bosses in the game are tough and unique. Little clues are provided so you will have to find out your own strategy by using the environment to take out the bosses. This will lead to a lot of trial and error as it will take some time to figure out how to kill them.

There are 15 total chapters which will take you around 19 hours to complete. The pace of the game is made well and I did not feel any repetitive gameplay during the main campaign because of the many different set pieces that it throws at you. Sadly, the overall story is weak and forgettable. Nothing seems to be clear right from the beginning. Main character Sebastian is a very dry character that you won’t relate too and little is known about the remaining cast as well which leaves little reason to care about any of them.

The Evil Within could have been a great game if it weren’t for the boring story and uninteresting characters. It is a challenging game even on casual mode and horror fans will enjoy the fun ride because it brings back memories from Resident Evil 4.
  54. May 25, 2015
    The Evil Within is not for everyone. But if you like challenging games or if you like Shinji Mikami's work than you The Evil Within is a solid game...
  55. Oct 24, 2014
    I give The Evil Within an 8. Its a real Survival Horror experience.Now when i first started playing this i wasnt that interested until about chapter 5. At this point it really starts to suck you in. The Boss fights are a lot of fun and nerve racking. The weapon and abilities upgrades make the game that much better. I really hope they make a sequal to this that will be more puzzle orientedI give The Evil Within an 8. Its a real Survival Horror experience.Now when i first started playing this i wasnt that interested until about chapter 5. At this point it really starts to suck you in. The Boss fights are a lot of fun and nerve racking. The weapon and abilities upgrades make the game that much better. I really hope they make a sequal to this that will be more puzzle oriented but overall it was scary,gory, and fun! Expand
  56. Nov 8, 2014
    This game isn't a scary game, it's a creepy game.
    Great graphics, the latest patch enabled 60 fps and got rid of those black bars.
    The gameplay is really well done, the shotgun feels amazing when you shoot a head off. But, i still wonder, if you was in his shoes. How would you react? Thats how i play this game, thinking that if i was in his shoes how i would react. That makes the
    This game isn't a scary game, it's a creepy game.

But, i still wonder, if you was in his shoes. How would you react?
    That makes the game really neat.
  57. Nov 8, 2014
    I know that this game is not perfect, and has similiarities whit other games of the genre. But is a true survival horror. No Map. No objective. Low ammo. puzzles. This is what i want when i play a survival horror, you have to search a matter to pass the chapters on your own. If you're a fan of the survival horror, you will love it. but if you are one of those people who like games that areI know that this game is not perfect, and has similiarities whit other games of the genre. But is a true survival horror. No Map. No objective. Low ammo. puzzles. This is what i want when i play a survival horror, you have to search a matter to pass the chapters on your own. If you're a fan of the survival horror, you will love it. but if you are one of those people who like games that are easy, a game that tells what you have to do, and without any challenge. sorry but this game. Is not for you. Expand
  58. Nov 24, 2014
    Survival Horror, a genre that hasn't been done well in a long time. The Evil Within changes that.

This isn't a shooting gallery action game with some horror elements as seen in most "survival horror" games, you'll actually be trying to survive from the horrors you face instead mowing down tons of them like Rambo. Ammo is scarce, enemies are tough and come in great numbers, you can either run and hide, fight them head on or try a more sneaky approach.

The enemies themselves range from your typical zombies to much more creative baddies. The character designs themselves are very imaginative, with certain creatures and character being very memorable. The spider lady is very much the poster girl for The Evil Within.

Gameplay wise the game is great, although there are issues with the frame-rate, and also the annoying letterbox that borders the screen, although these are the only major issues that I can find with the game. The story is pretty good and inventive, once you understand what's going on at least, although some of the characters are pretty bland and boring, like your player character Detective Sebastian Castellanos. While there is no multiplayer component to the game, it does offer a few re-runs on harder difficulty's, with some unlockables and weapon upgrades to gain.

Overall, The Evil Within genuinely manages to scare and mess with your mind, while putting you into an actual survival horror scenario that's a challenge to overcome. It's a great game for horror fans, especially if your interested in something that changes the pace from the usual shooting gallery style action games, and while not perfect, i would say to definitely give it a try.
  59. Feb 20, 2015
    Graphics: 8.2 Sound: 8.0 Gameplay: 7.0 Fun/Story: 8

Not a must have game but it´s solid. The Resident Evil 4 fans (like me) is always present and that is very good because RE4 is one of my favorite games all time. The Evil Within is not brilliant as it spiritual predecessor was but i really enjoyed this game.
  60. Dec 29, 2014
    The Evil Within is a survival horror brought to you by Shinji Mikami, the same man who brought the survival horror to a brighter light through his work on Resident Evil. In the Evil Within you play as Sebastian Castellanos, a detective whom is called to the scene of a crime at Beacon Mental hospital, by his side is his fellow officers Juli Kidman and Joseph Oda. Once at the hospital, anThe Evil Within is a survival horror brought to you by Shinji Mikami, the same man who brought the survival horror to a brighter light through his work on Resident Evil. In the Evil Within you play as Sebastian Castellanos, a detective whom is called to the scene of a crime at Beacon Mental hospital, by his side is his fellow officers Juli Kidman and Joseph Oda. Once at the hospital, an assailant (Ruvic) is seen killing police, which then turns his attention to Castellanos. From here Castellanos must piece together what has been happening and ultimately find out what Ruvic is doing to put a stop to this nightmare. To begin with the game took me around 13 hours on the hardest difficulty called survival difficulty. This was me taking my time with the game but not getting all the possible collectibles.

The Evil Within does do a good job of being a good survival horror for the first half of the game. What helps the experience dramatically is the atmosphere. The atmosphere and feel that is presented here is brilliant. The world that you venture in is a nightmare filled with grotesque creatures and unnerving scenery. All these culminates to a really horrific experience due to these elements being combined. The best presented experience was the hub world where you can save and can upgrade Castellanos’ attributes and weapons. This hub world was the place I found the most unsettling, the atmosphere here has been nailed causing this supposed safe place to become a nightmare in itself. The upgrades that are available are pretty standard; bigger stocks, bigger inventory, more health recovery, and increasing damage of weapons. One weapon in particular is a nice addition, being the ‘agony crossbow’. This crossbow is extremely useful when you have no ammo for your other weapons. Throughout the game you’ll encounter traps that can be deactivated which will reward you with parts, these parts can be used to craft ammo for the crossbow into varied types; explosive bolts, electro bolts, and standard bolts. This can be very useful when no ammo is available for your normal handgun, shotgun etc. A huge positive with the game is the essence of dying. Specific enemies will take huge portions of life from you or instantly kill you on the spot if they are within reach. Within the game you will die numerous amounts of time, some might find this frustrating but I have found it as a way to reinstate what type of game this is. The Evil Within strives of the player dying reconfirming that your there to survive with whatever items you have, adding to the tense atmosphere and improving the overall experience.

On the other hand The Evil Within does have some weaknesses about itself which may deter players from the full experience. It can be very easy to lose the story altogether and may resort into some internet searches to fully understand what’s going on especially towards the end of the game. For those looking for puzzles, there are next to none present here so there isn’t a break from the horror gunplay. There are some segments that don’t do the atmosphere any good, mainly towards the end of the game. During these they seem to be more run and gun rather than saving ammunition and calculating the best move. These parts turn down the atmosphere greatly, decreasing the tense aspect of the game. Speaking of the ending, the final boss fight is very poor and increases the action side aspect rather than the horror side. I feel like this is a missed opportunity and feel a lot more could have been done to change the gameplay for the final battle to make it more memorable rather than having a cop out big action battle.

The Evil Within is a game of two halves. The first half is great at reinstating the survival horror with a brilliant atmosphere brought together by the environments you visit, the enemies you encounter, and the danger of the antagonist that can one touch kill you. This all reinstates the survival horror aspect. The second half starts becoming more of an action game with ammo to spare and the enemies rushing towards you knowing where you already are. By doing this the tension drops and the survival aspect becomes less important. In all the The Evil Within does do some justice to the survival horror game and I was fully immersed within this dank world, however later levels can seem to be more action rather than survival. It is worth a purchase when it is at a lower price.
  61. Jul 2, 2015
    i am in chapter 8. great game, acceptable graphic, good story and i recommend you to play it just at night when no body at home with you. if you love horror games go and buy it..
  62. Nov 13, 2014
    It is definitely true to the Survival Horror genre. Th ammo doesn't come by easily and the boss fight require intellect. It heavily reminds of Resident Evil 4 with the gritty atmosphere and some what similar enemies. The game wasn't really scary, but it was an intense feeling almost throughout the whole game.

Pros: The game play is great. The shooting is a little challenging at first,

Pros: The game play is great. The shooting is a little challenging at first, but an average gamer will get used to it. The beginning of the game is intense and one to remember.

Cons: The biggest problem I had was the story. The story is almost incoherent for the first 7 chapters. You will be confused. It does start making sense later, but I seemed to lose interest because I really didn't know what the hell was going on. I was basically trying to just survive not knowing why in the hell these things were happening. I know people are probably going to call me dumb, but I would consider myself an expert gamer. As for me, this game was more confusing then a damn silent hill game....and that's saying a lot! Other than that, the graphics still looked like they were for the last generation. These weren't really a big deal for me, but I had to be honest.

Overall, the game was good and was worth the buy.
  63. Oct 19, 2014
    This game is everything an old-school survival horror game than capcom have forget in the past, . For those who clamour for the Resident Evil games of old, Mikami-san has delivered a personal love letter; for those who don’t, you’ll likely lament its lack of new ideas and sometimes archaic design choices. For me personally, it’s a gripping adventure that any self-respecting horror fanThis game is everything an old-school survival horror game than capcom have forget in the past, . For those who clamour for the Resident Evil games of old, Mikami-san has delivered a personal love letter; for those who don’t, you’ll likely lament its lack of new ideas and sometimes archaic design choices. For me personally, it’s a gripping adventure that any self-respecting horror fan should snap up, and an authentic return to survival horror after too long an absence. So forget garbage games like resident evil 6 and will buy Evil within right now. Expand
  64. Oct 29, 2014
    The Evil Within = (ResEvil 4.5 - Horror - Difficulty) / Bad Story = 6

The Evil Within = (ResEvil 4.5 - Horror - Difficulty) / Bad Story = 6

Unfortunately, The Evil Within is a re-skinned RE 4 without the difficulty. There are definitely some interesting techniques at play with the framing, camera movement, and seamless set changes, but all in all, the story and scares fail completely. The story is also so poorly developed it can't support the weight of its ideas and falls into hilarious absurdity.
    When I heard that this was going to be a difficult game, I was extremely excited, but after 16hrs of playtime I only died a total of 30 times (a majority of those times from when the cutscenes randomly ended and something squashed/ shot/ filetted/ disemboweled, etc, me simply because I had no idea I was back in the game). I also ran out of ammo in only two instances, but that was quickly negated by the fact the game always has bolts ready for you.
    RE4 had a lore to back up the absurd story, insanely memorable moments (that damn cabin), and an unmatched intensity. TEW just ends up being a bore.
    I'd suggest checking it out as a rental or if the price drops to $30 or less.
  65. Nov 5, 2014
    The Evil Within liked me, in my opinion very suitable survival, but poorly researched horror.Take that someone would not say I liked this game (I'm just puzzled why you need so violently insult game, yet it is not terrible, and even good).I was pleased with the new masterpiece from Shinji Mikami and I advise buy this game and go through.
  66. Nov 7, 2014
    Ok, so Me personally, I like this game, It's fun and it makes me feel like like I'm watching a movie. The tension in this game is so strong, I was actually legit scared. I dropped my controller playing this game. The Evil Within is a great game... But it isn't game of the year..(Sorry in advance to people who think it is) Anyway, if you want to get this game, Pick it up at full price orOk, so Me personally, I like this game, It's fun and it makes me feel like like I'm watching a movie. The tension in this game is so strong, I was actually legit scared. I dropped my controller playing this game. The Evil Within is a great game... But it isn't game of the year..(Sorry in advance to people who think it is) Anyway, if you want to get this game, Pick it up at full price or wait for price drop.

THANKS FOR LISTENING!!!!
  67. Nov 6, 2014
    If you want an honest review from a long time survival horror fan, keep reading. This game is what we've all been waiting for. I am at Chapter 7 right now and I can honestly tell you, it's definitely unequivocally my favorite game since The Last of Us.

It basically takes from Old school RE, mixed with RE4. Silent Hill environments, exceptional music! Graphics could have been a bit better, however when you look at the whole package it's worth it!
    My only complaint would be the acting. Very sub par, although Acting in horror games have rarely been outstanding. There's puzzles, but I wish there was more. The amount of detail in the environments is incredible! With ammo and health being scarce, it forces you to conserve and search each room.
    It adds a stress level and makes you think "Should I shoot? Sneak? Use traps?" "What if I need these bullets later?" The gore is absolutely amazing! Love tearing up their face with a nice head shot. Blood splatters everywhere.

To the people complaining and giving up after 3-5 chapters and giving the game 0-3, listen up!
    The game is mean't to be played at 1am, in the dark with surround sound. Of course it wont have a scary atmosphere if you play it in day time next to your mother. The black bars are there for a reason. To make you feel claustrophobic and make it harder for you to know if there's something behind you. Get it?
    I feel the people complaining/trolls are just mad because they find it too tedious. Find it too easy? Play it on the hardest difficulty. Too difficult? play it on easy. Conserving bullets, syringes is the name of the game, not a run and gun game. It can be but it's not smart. You need patience. I've beaten The Last of Us on "Survival" mode and let me tell you. It makes you want to give up, however it gives you a sense of accomplishments once completed.
    That's why it's survival horror.
    You are complaining about Mr. Mikami copying from previous RE,Silent Hill, The last of Us games?
    What's wrong with taking the good things from previous survival horror and implementing them to try and make this the best game in a long time? EVERY GAME has taken parts from previous games as a stepping stone. Let me guess, if they didn't take those parts from previous games, you would still complain about them for not taking the good from previous games. All the old school fans would be disappointed. Mikami, put in all the positives to try and make all fans (Old-new) happy!

I'm giving this game a 10 to counter the trolls and players that say the game is horrible because they actually find it too tedious. The game deserves a 8.5 to be honest. You need to play it at night with the lights turned off, HUGE difference.

If you don't mind the bad commentary and lack of puzzles. It's a must buy for any survival horror fan!

My 2 cents!
    Justincredible
  68. Nov 13, 2014
    First and foremost, I was someone who was hyped more than anyone else for this game as I'm a huge Resident Evil fan, and at first I hated it. I put it down for almost two weeks, and decided to give it one more shot, and after the admittedly rough beginning (the first chapter is by far the least fun, and I'm about seven hours in) this game is a lot of fun. It's got a lot of inspiration fromFirst and foremost, I was someone who was hyped more than anyone else for this game as I'm a huge Resident Evil fan, and at first I hated it. I put it down for almost two weeks, and decided to give it one more shot, and after the admittedly rough beginning (the first chapter is by far the least fun, and I'm about seven hours in) this game is a lot of fun. It's got a lot of inspiration from RE4, but the first three chapters kinda fall flat. Once you get a ton of weapons and you're fighting boss after boss and killing three enemies with a bullet and a match, the game is pretty awesome. It's not scary aside from one boss that comes early on, the story is complete trash, and the main character is completely forgettable aside from his cool Leon styled haircut (but he'll never compare to Leon). The game is mind numbing action that can be a lil creepy from time to time, and the action feels solid and reminds me of RE4,even though it's not as good. The Evil Within is better than RE5 and 6, but isn't as good as The Last of Us or RE4. Right now, it's the best game on PS4, and it's the first time I've even touched my PS4 since Ground Zeroes. As of chapter 8, this game is worth a buy if you're getting blue balled from the lack of quality Triple A games on PS4. Oh yeah, and the letterboxing is terrible but you adapt to it's awfulness. Expand
  69. Nov 20, 2014
    There are performance issues, yes. The game looks good though, and it's awesome to play a classic style survival horror game. If you liked RE4 then I'd say this is definitely worth playing. On a side note: It gets quite challenging towards the end, much like how old style games used to work. You're not just an unstoppable beast able to complete any boss or difficult objective in a try orThere are performance issues, yes. The game looks good though, and it's awesome to play a classic style survival horror game. If you liked RE4 then I'd say this is definitely worth playing. On a side note: It gets quite challenging towards the end, much like how old style games used to work. You're not just an unstoppable beast able to complete any boss or difficult objective in a try or two, this fact is refreshing to me. Expand
  70. Feb 19, 2015
    I recently picked the Evil Within Ltd Edition new for £25 in store, and felt as a horror game fan I would enjoy it. And so far, so good.

The game isn't all that scary, nothing like the P.T. demo that made me lay an egg a few times, but it does relish in gore, and moments of horror that you'd expect from your favourite B-movie. The game play is smooth and while targeting and actually killing things can become frustrating, it actually adds to the beauty of it. I found myself dying about twenty times in the opening scene trying to attack the lurcher in the room, and its this guess work and desire to complete that makes you want to get that little further.

The story will fry your brain a little, but the world and themes are pretty cool. I don't understand how anyone can rate this game as a 0 or 1 ... it's not the best game I've ever played, but for £25 it was a bargain really, and I'd suggest any horror game fan to give it a whirl as they wont be disappointed.
  71. May 24, 2015
    Has a horrible frame rate, but get past that and it's a survival horror gem. Truly terrifying with immense atmosphere that grips you and gives you chills. Fun exploration and some open level design mixed with linear progression. It's a 'Down The Rabbit Hole' psychological story with intense gore, mystery and horrific monsters. Atmosphere is A+. Technical improvements are needed in future games.
  72. Jun 8, 2015
    Great game that will have you Sh*ting your pants at some parts. The storyline is fantastic and very unique. I did find however, that this game is more fun to watch than to actually play. The movement can be a bit clunky and I know that was intended. A must buy for fans of Resident Evil 4! Review score would be higher, but the movement and controls at time bothered me.
  73. Jul 26, 2015
    Игра спорная. Но при этом для меня это один из лучших Survival horror игр. Советую по пробовать, если любите не простой гейм плей.
  74. Aug 8, 2015
    A game that has a more confusing story than it's generic title suggests. Most of the scares you will get in this game are from unplanned sequences where you just happen to be in a bad position and something randomly happens As a horror game I wasn't scared too often, as a mechanical game, it is very fun and offers depth to decisions. It is advised that you put restrictions on yourselfA game that has a more confusing story than it's generic title suggests. Most of the scares you will get in this game are from unplanned sequences where you just happen to be in a bad position and something randomly happens As a horror game I wasn't scared too often, as a mechanical game, it is very fun and offers depth to decisions. It is advised that you put restrictions on yourself like having to kill the bosses in specific ways that are mentioned in the titles if you want to feel more of a rush and urgency, which this game does quite often.
    The game is a solid experience and is worth having in your library no matter how you view it, really giving you a sense of not fear, but suspense that fills the levels. This game is much better than most give it credit for, although go in knowing that it's slower than shooters and that stealth is very important in it. Once you master the techniques of the game that allow you to do more than simply knife killing and shooting everything, you'll start to feel much more comfortable. The length of the game is solid, not dragging on for too long with the same stuff but also not being a waste of money with how short the game is, overall the game isn't a perfect 10/10, but it's better than most others.
  75. Apr 12, 2017
    I should have checked the Metascore on this one before I got it. A bitter disappointment, perhaps my biggest on the PS4. A not-so-good version of The Last of Us. Just didn't seem to be an interesting story there.
  76. Jun 11, 2017
    horrible graphics, horrible story, boring characters. it just terrible and I can't believe others are rating it above 5! it's bad, very very bad. I was very disappointed.
  77. Dec 5, 2014
    I freaking adore this game! It reminds so much of the good old days of Resident Evil 4. I love the new and varied mechanics such being able to burn enemies so they don't come back to life and try to kill you. And I really do like the atmosphere of the game along with its presentation, visuals, and even cheesy story. I reccomend buying this game, it will be worth your time!
  78. Aug 12, 2016
    One of the great disappointments of the current generation, The Evil Within promised a return to classic video game horror only to prioritise action at every turn. The characters are as generic as gaming can get and the dialogue is a perfect example as to why this medium has such a bad rep for writing. The kind of schlock John Carpenter or Wes Craven promised great things with beforeOne of the great disappointments of the current generation, The Evil Within promised a return to classic video game horror only to prioritise action at every turn. The characters are as generic as gaming can get and the dialogue is a perfect example as to why this medium has such a bad rep for writing. The kind of schlock John Carpenter or Wes Craven promised great things with before release, only to deliver straight to video horror. Expand
  79. Oct 14, 2014
    The amount of PC Elitists giving this game a zero because of the framerate is ridiculous! This is not a first person shooter! You don't notice slowdown in a game that plays like TeW and besides that dropping the rating to a ZERO and completely neglecting the gameplay is asinine at best! This is why no one takes metacritic serious anymore! Others are dropping 10's to compensate for theThe amount of PC Elitists giving this game a zero because of the framerate is ridiculous! This is not a first person shooter! You don't notice slowdown in a game that plays like TeW and besides that dropping the rating to a ZERO and completely neglecting the gameplay is asinine at best! This is why no one takes metacritic serious anymore! Others are dropping 10's to compensate for the 0's... so what metacritic is devolving into is a shouting match of 0's and 10's and no one gives a fair assessment! The game is good, not amazing, but it's good. Shinji Mikami is a legend and this game feels like a mix of REmake, RE4 and a heavy dose of Silent Hill. If you enjoy survival horror then you will enjoy this game! The graphics could be better but they are not terrible like some people have been saying. The controls are tight and are NOT floaty but the camera and viewpoint is. I'm guessing it was made that way to give a sense of clostrophobia but it does get on your nerves until you adjust to it. The game is hard and brutal just the way true survival horror fans want it! IGNORE the haters! Survival Horror is back! Expand
  80. Oct 14, 2014
    At it's core, The Evil Within is a mesmerizing adrenaline filled gore-fest, that at it's core is a truly fun game.

Now, let's get something out of the way. The Evil Within is not a fantastic looking game, with constant texture popping and drastic frame rate drops. The game was clearly in development for last gen consoles, but later shifted to next gen. However, this does not indicate that the game lacks great art direction and atmosphere. In fact, those two things are some of the best aspects of the game. So on that basis, this game is most enjoyed for those looking to appreciate solid artistic work, instead of technically impressive graphic achievement.

The story, well to not spoil anything for anyone. The store is fine, on the most part is quite intriguing and it does hit a few high points. However, many plot points don't deliver and many sub-plot points are abandoned entirely. The main character, Sebastian Castellanos, is an appealing enough protagonist that doesn't meet the compelling nature of a character like Joel (Last of Us), but he is a step forward from the one dimensional characters we have come to love from the Resident Evil franchise (Chris Redfield, Leon S. Kennedy, and Jill Valentine). The antagonist/villain Rubrik is actually pretty awesome, sort of a combination between Albert Wesker (Resident Evil) and Pyramid Head (Silent Hill 2)

The gameplay is truly fun, and it hits all the right points of a survival horror game. Ammunition and assets are limited, and is very easy to get careless and get surrounded by enemies of fall right into a trap. So in other words, the game always remains truly interested until the very end.

So here is my final verdict... If you've wanted this game for months now, then you probably already have it. If you're on the fence about it, then ask yourself: "Do I enjoy Resident Evil 4 or Dead Space?", if you answer "yes" to either of those games than this is a buy for you. If you stand at the other side of the rope, you're not a particular huge fan of Resident Evil or the other big horror franchises in gaming, than don't bother with it. You won't get a kick out of it as much as someone who loves the Resident Evil franchise. With that said, be prepared for a lot of cool references to the Resident Evil games, in particular RE1 and RE4. And if you enjoy Mikami's work as much as me, keep your eyes open for a couple cool Dino Crisis references :).

Welcome back Mikami! Here's hoping the Evil Within becomes a strong franchise in gaming, and that Tango GameWorks is here for the long run!
  81. Jan 5, 2015
    This game is broken, hard, glitchy, horrible and has a horrible ending.
    Finally finished it today glad it's over with.
    So the main character is pretty funny he would rather be picking up bottles than climbing out of the monster infested water and impending death. You will see things like this more and more the more you play. Like hung up bodies that you waste matches on that don't
    This game is broken, hard, glitchy, horrible and has a horrible ending.
    Finally finished it today glad it's over with.

Like hung up bodies that you waste matches on that don't burn. There's more than this though.

The controls switch to type C mediately, prevents the constant incursion of the menu during battle. There is also a one second latency so don't just mash melee as after two melees the enemy automatically counter attacks.

P.S. EVERYONE who gave this a user score of ten is INSANE.

There are some frame rate issues and I'm not talking about when they are pulsing the screen to build drama.

I liked the game early on and welcomed the challenge, that is what this game is a challenge. The hunting for parts and ammo is great a real survival horror game, but that's about where it ends.

Buy this if you loved RE6 and other glitchy poorly storylined horror games.
  82. Oct 18, 2014
    The Evil Within might not offer anything new or innovative but for sure its awesome as a survival horror game !
    Gameplay is amazingly well balanced between action, stealth and puzzles and exploration and each chapter attempts to create a different kinda experience.
    Story takes the most hit here, it takes a very long time till it reveal all the mystery behind the confusion which exist in the early chapters ( all the way up to chapter 9 actually ) but overall conclusion is satisfying enough.
    game is pretty long and its kinda hard, it took me 21 hours to complete it on survival and as well i have 118 deaths so far ~_~
    graphics are fantastic, despite some poor texture qualities ( which is due to the engine ) and some frame rates problem which does not bother at all the overall visual Fidelity is really beautiful and fantastic .
    overall I like this game and its exactly what i wanted it to be
  83. Mar 24, 2015
    This game, in my opinions, is the best PS4 title till date. if i rate the different aspects of the game, it would be like: Graphics 7.5, Story 7, Game-play 9.5. The game fulfills the need of a survival horror genre so don't hesitate to buy if if you've liked Resident Evil franchise and The Last of Us.

Game is perfect combination of Stealth, Shooting and Strategy. There is wide variety of weapons that you can enjoy using throughout the game but sometimes you have to prefer stealth to save ammunition. Shooting requires strategic approach to progress game without getting out of resources. Game is scary and does not rely on jump scares. Upgrading stuff, scavenging this all combined delivers one of the best survival horror experience.

This game is little difficult for a casual gamer even at the casual difficulty, some like me who like to take challenges would love the game being difficult then usual games but my brother who never played a game after resident evil 4, found it very frustrating even at casual difficulty so I feel like there should have been an even easier difficulty. Also there are alot of trophies which are impossible to achieve for a casual gamer. The game has extra-ordinary violence but again some would have liked this game because of this.

Talking about the story, I would just say this is not the best aspect of this game. Graphics are good but I'm still waiting for a game that defines 4th generation graphics
  84. Mar 24, 2015
    The Evil Within was a Roller Coaster of a game for me. Initially, I was really uninspired by it. The first few hours were spent getting used to the game's unusually dark settings (literally dark, not thematically). After the first main box, the game really started to grow into its own and show its true colors.

Survival horror at its core, it reminded my a lot of the original Dead Space.

Survival horror at its core, it reminded my a lot of the original Dead Space. The feeling of helplessness is nearly tangible. After a few attempts at running blindly to get from point A to point B, and quickly learning that was a very bad idea, the game become much more about stealth and cunning rather than brute force. A few of the mechanisms are lost as the game progresses. Hiding from your enemies, while effective, seemed to become a less common practice about halfway through.

The world the game is set in is the main focus. The protagonist himself is undeniable forgettable. His storyline is revealed through little journal entries preceding save points as the game progresses, making it even more forgettable for those who refuse to read for story depth.

There are a few mechanical flaws that carry over due to the console base. Framerate drops, while not common, are expected. There are two black bars along the top and bottom of the screens to simulate a wider scope of view. While these were not game-breakers for me, many people were extremely agitated by their presence.

Despite its flaws, I was drawn into the world. The game is not overly long, but the atmosphere is infectious! For any survival horror fan, this is a must play. Same goes for horror/gore nuts. For those just looking for the next game, would not recommend picking it up without playtesting first.
  85. Nov 22, 2014
    the evil within es el retorno del survival horror,su historia es compleja y deja muchos puntos la munition escasea y los enemigos son brutales, es un juego muy dificil y crea una gran tensión la jugabilidad es grandiosa y muy variada, es lo residen evil 5 debió ser
  86. Jul 6, 2015
    Solid game and solid survival horror game.

Not a gem defining game but overall good game.

I liked RE4 alot so I was easy for me to get into this game.
  87. Oct 15, 2014
    Great gameplay, good atmosphere, and a couple of scares make this game a solid purchase for those who are craving a good survival horror experience. A return to form: feels like the revered Resident Evil 4, and plays like The Last of Us, a combination that will satisfy those more action oriented, even if run and gun tactics are highly discouraged in this game, ammo is scarce, and you haveGreat gameplay, good atmosphere, and a couple of scares make this game a solid purchase for those who are craving a good survival horror experience. A return to form: feels like the revered Resident Evil 4, and plays like The Last of Us, a combination that will satisfy those more action oriented, even if run and gun tactics are highly discouraged in this game, ammo is scarce, and you have to make every bullet count.

It doesn't rank higher for it's lackluster story, and uncharismatic lead character. However, with such solid gameplay, it is a sin I am willing to forgive. Lastly, it reminds me of a simpler time: No token gay character talking about his husband, hamfisted social issues, nor women who can overpower crocodiles with ease.

This is a game, a good one at that. It's not art, it won't tell you to check your privilege, and it sure as hell won't win any awards with the SJW crowd. But it's challenging and fun, and that is what most of us want from a game in this day and age.
  88. Nov 20, 2014
    Utterly bloody disgusting, nonsensical story, sloppy controls, characters aren't fun with little to no expressions. Bloody hard to win, ending is just a big "wtf" that I don't even the creators understand it. They tried to create a badass villain but it backfired, it is not. Overall the game is more stressful than fun to play and leave more questions and plot holes than answers in the end.Utterly bloody disgusting, nonsensical story, sloppy controls, characters aren't fun with little to no expressions. Bloody hard to win, ending is just a big "wtf" that I don't even the creators understand it. They tried to create a badass villain but it backfired, it is not. Overall the game is more stressful than fun to play and leave more questions and plot holes than answers in the end. The only great thing are the graphics and the atmosphere, those are a 10. This could have been a truly great game should they have put more thought on it. Expand
  89. Jan 8, 2015
    This game definitely has its strengths and seems to be a world built by some very talented and smart people. Half the time its really fun and I'm waiting for it to get better... but then it doesn't. So I'm not really on board with making this in a top ten oor even top twenty list. This game could be amazing but it just misses the mark on way too many levels, too many areas that need aThis game definitely has its strengths and seems to be a world built by some very talented and smart people. Half the time its really fun and I'm waiting for it to get better... but then it doesn't. So I'm not really on board with making this in a top ten oor even top twenty list. This game could be amazing but it just misses the mark on way too many levels, too many areas that need a polish. For example as a casual gamer I find that it does not teach you the world very well. i was up to chapter four before i realized there were keys to collect. I dont think the tutorials are very clear throughout. If you power up your character or your weapons it seems to offer small changes in such minuscule increments that it hardly seems worth your time unless you know whats coming. The time it takes to actually upgrade your character's abilities or weapons is way too long too. for example, if I need to find a broken mirror to upgrade I shouldn't also have to walk down a long hallway and sit in a chair and then go through a long complicated menu. why make me do that when it adds nothing to the game. here is a suggestion: My character finds a broken mirror and is immediately in a power-up chair and the menu is simple and easy to follow with clear obvious logic and the upgrades are larger upgrades. The same problem goes toward the other bonus things in the locker or the map pieces in the map room. why do i need to walk around these long twisted halls and through these doors just to access these things.its irritating and kills the momentum of the game. Also, some of the story seems a little crazy and disconnected as well. I'm not sure why I have to battle a long haired bloody monster after i already killed the long haired bloody monster 3 chapters ago.. (out of monsters? recycling?). also the controls are frustrating. I understand that its supposed to have tension and be a bit challenging at times but if I understand a foe and a battle and I make choices that should work then my character on screen should survive. half the time it feels like i'm dying because of a glitch from the controls (like picking up an object which doesn't happen unless i am faced exactly in the right position of the object, or sneaking up on an enemy and the sneak attack option doesn't activate periodically in the same scenario, or I try to use a match ad it doesn't activate ). also it seems the logic of my character in aiming or preparing doesn't suit the heighten story and horror. at some point if anything like this was really happening my character should already have his gun out and aiming. but I find i have to reload, re aim and re build my character into being prepared for every scene even after i repeat the same challenge. shouldn't the logic be built into the game that this guys has seen some terrible things and knows he needs to be ready for some of it? its like the character is a child with no memory of the last horrific thing that just happened. (btw do i really need to upgrade space to hold matches? shouldn't they be small enough to carry a box of a thousand?) So the story and the dialogue really don't connect to the experiences that the gamer is having as his character goes through the story. For example: why does he have a lantern that gives off this terrible impractical light, shouldn't he have found a flashlight by now? why is he still wearing his vest and tie through the whole story? there are so many annoying illogical choices from the dialogue, story, game play, upgrading weapons and abilities, character arc, that this game is just a C plus or B minus at best. As I first noted though its not entirely terrible, there's a lot of great art direction and some interesting puzzles and some intriguing and scary story elements. It just feels like its half baked. It needed a few more story revisions and some streamlined game play revisions. The hiding in cabinets aspect is really useless too. After the novelty of the first scene i don't think i used it ever again. I find myself frustrated and dissatisfied with this game and I'm tempted to put it down before i completely finish. It doesn't seem worth the time as the enjoyment is sporadic and fleeting. I would say get this game used or at a heavy discount if its your favorite genre and there is nothing else out there for you to play otherwise its more fun playing a fifth round of The Last of Us or Tomb Raider. Expand
  90. Nov 10, 2014
    Holy moley!! I loved it. First off I really enjoy survival horror game going back to silent hill one so I'd like to think I know the genre pretty good. Great story. Amazing environment and the controls are perfect. A nice mix of stealth and we'll just chaos. As the choice is yours on how to play it. It's Creepy as hell and definitely worth playing. If you like survival horror games at allHoly moley!! I loved it. First off I really enjoy survival horror game going back to silent hill one so I'd like to think I know the genre pretty good. Great story. Amazing environment and the controls are perfect. A nice mix of stealth and we'll just chaos. As the choice is yours on how to play it. It's Creepy as hell and definitely worth playing. If you like survival horror games at all you HAVE to play this. Expand
  91. Oct 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I believe horror games should be scary, fun, or both. The Evil Within manages to (mostly) do both. Shinji Mikami's horror opus may play like a survival horror "greatest hits" but that's not a weakness but a strength. If you have played any recent Resident Evil games you will notice similar gameplay acting as foundation for a grittier, darker, and more punishing survival horror game.

I personally love horror games, but I assure you my love does not make me blind to this game's shortcomings. First, let's get some technical issues out of the way:

- There is significant pop-in (mostly at the beginning of a cut scene)
    - There is clipping (most notably is being able to walk through AI allies)
    - There are shadow glitches and the occasional low-res texture

I never had a game-breaking glitch or have my game freeze. The graphics are good for what they are. Although, you can tell this game's development was shared with "last-gen" systems too.

- The developers are dirty **** sometimes putting two boss battles back-to-back, pitting you against one-hit-kill enemies frequently, and forcing the player into "trial and error" more often than necessary. It borderlines (and becomes) frustration at times but the game is not as difficult as the Dark Souls series. The difficulty also stems from claustrophobic boss battles and annoying "chase sequences" that purposefully give you horrible camera angles.
    - I don't know whether the playable protagonist, Detective Castellanos is a badass or a dumbass. I found myself laughing at his repeated lines and how stoic he is within such a messed up world. After the umpteenth uttering of "what's going on here?" and other stupid in-game lines, it can start to detract from the experience unless you accept it as cheesy and bad, have a good laugh, and move on.

That's it for the bad. Pretty minor actually. WARNING: below are tips and observations with generalized SPOILERS that should help to reduce frustration and make it more fun. There is nothing specific about plot, enemies, or locations. Skip to the bottom if you want to see my completion time and # of deaths.

- Enjoy the plot like you would a Jackson Pollock or Salvador Dali painting. Don't try to make sense of it.
    - This is a survival horror game. Ammunition is limited but don't let your ammo stock get full. I had to leave ammo behind. That's not good when every bullet counts.
    - Upgrade intelligently. You'll notice some things are a lot more useful than others.
    - Your character gets more winded than a fat kid chasing an ice-cream truck. His stamina is awful. You may consider him an Everyman, but I have no idea how he passed his fitness test to become a police officer.
    - The cutscenes are good, albeit they mostly make no sense. And the voice-acting quality is good despite frequent repetition.
    - Sometimes you will have AI companions. They aren't completely worthless. Let them take the shot instead of wasting precious ammo. Be warned though, if they get swarmed it can be game over. You can however heal them up whenever you need to without using any supplies.
    - This is a personal preference, but there are a couple failed scare opportunities. You'll notice them after you play a lot of the game. However, you will also be pleasantly surprised at how often they do take advantage of opportunities to throw scares at you.
    - There is only one section of the game I absolutely hated. It breaks my "be scary or fun" rule. It was neither. You'll know it when you get to it because it is uninspired and boring. Fortunately it isn't too long.
    - The game does have some obvious "let's drain their ammo" sections. Just focus on surviving, not conserving ammo. It will alleviate some frustration.
    - The game does very little hand holding and I died like 5 times in the first 5 minutes of the game because they just get right into the trial and error aspects of the game.
    - There are some amazing boss battles and some I dreaded that ended up being a lot more enjoyable than I thought they'd be.
    - My pulse was pounding and I found myself begging not to die on many occasions. I also couldn't help myself from freaking out, jumping from a scare, yelling at my character to "go, go, go" it was a great experience!
    - I'm glad this game makes combat enjoyable, but good luck with stealth kills. Enemies are practically omniscient, they'll turn around at the worst times, or you'll get spotted by another enemy.
    - You're character has abnormally strong kicks and punches... when attacking crates and barrels. Otherwise, he might as well be slapping enemies with his glove; that is how impotent melee can be.
    - Destroy the little white statues!
    - You will learn to hate bombs.

Overall, if you like survival horror you shouldn't be disappointed.

True to form they make it worth your while to start a new game+. I completed my first play-through in less than 20 hours on standard difficulty with 49 deaths; better than the IGN reviewer but I hope you can do even better. Good luck!
  92. Oct 16, 2014
    I have always been a fan of the Resident Evil series. The first 2 R.E> games were my favorite and I was hoping this game would harken back to those days. While it feels more akin to R.E. 4 it is a good game. If you are a fan of Horror games you may find something to appreciate here.

Graphics: I am very torn on the graphics for this game. I did think they looked good but there were some major technically problems for the PC. Admittedly my PC is not top of the line, but I suffered hickups in a number of places even though the frames were locked at 30 fps. In comparison I had no problems with Alien Isolation. This game gets a lot of points for style but then loses some on technical merit. 6/10

Gameplay: I actually really liked the gameplay.It has a good mix of action with some minor RPG elements. The items you could find and then use to upgrade various things about your character did add rather than detract in the case of this game. The only real issue I had with the gameplay was some technically issues. Sometimes when I would get close to an object to interact with the game would not register this and in some cases that was a pretty big issue. 7/10

Story: This was one of the best aspects of the game to me. While it starts off in a confusing manor (well, at least like 2 hours in) the plot actually works our really well. There are twists and turns (some of which you WILL see coming) but overall this is probably one of the strongest points of the game. If you like a good survival horror plot this game may be for you. 9/10

Reviewer bias. Survival Horror games a something I love. Second only to my love of RPG's. normally this game would rank with the average of 7.3 but I will round up just for my love of the genre to 8/10.
  93. Oct 17, 2014
    Its a good game while it is not the best it is entertaining and a nice return to the survival horror genre most of the complaints are about graphics and the black bars but not the gameplay is great, theres limited ammo so it really forces you to think about how your going to approach a situation
  94. Oct 28, 2014
    this game is good not Goty its not scary did not get frighten at all it was disturbing the enemy a.i like Parasite of Resident evil 4 monster where hard but yet challenging Final boss big let down cut scene ok.

ending made no sense it felt like they ending this game on cliff hanger make way for second one

over all good game one play it again
  95. Jan 22, 2015
    I don't understand the critical acclaim and love for this game. It tries to be a combination of The Last of Us, and Resident Evil 4, but comes up terribly short on both accounts. The visuals are just OK, the gameplay on all accounts, from movement to combat are just terrible and clunky, and feel unfinished. The voice acting, and dialogue are completely deplorable. Also, there is virtuallyI don't understand the critical acclaim and love for this game. It tries to be a combination of The Last of Us, and Resident Evil 4, but comes up terribly short on both accounts. The visuals are just OK, the gameplay on all accounts, from movement to combat are just terrible and clunky, and feel unfinished. The voice acting, and dialogue are completely deplorable. Also, there is virtually no ammo, even on easy the enemies take an obscene amount of ammo to kill, so you spend most of your time just running away, not necessarily my idea of a good time. I've had to push myself to finish this game, it just simply isn't fun. I can safely say that this was the biggest gaming disappointment of 2014 for me. Expand
  96. Oct 15, 2014
    The game is so so while it has good story telling elements in some spots it suffers heavily on others. Scares are almost non existent the 'scary' element of this game is one big cliche. The characters are fun but lack depth. The game does take some time to beat which is a plus, The game has awesome camera effects stellar even.

At the end of the day I could not bring myself to like the

At the end of the day I could not bring myself to like the characters or the plot.
  97. Nov 29, 2014
    Extremely dissapointed with this title.
    The main protagonist is dull and generic, graphics are last-gen and the gameplay is frankly boring. Controls are clumsy and arkward. Generally the game has a unfinished feel to it, like the team started with best intentions and then got really half-arsed about production. Theres no way this title deserves a 10, there are just too many faults with it
    Extremely dissapointed with this title.
    Some of the character design for the monsters is cool, but overall the evil within just feels dirivitive, linear and uninspired. Scariest moment - realising i could not return it after paying full price. Best thing about the game is the promotions team that gave it 10 scores on here (because no one else would).
  98. Oct 15, 2014
    i liked the past resident evil games and if you have played those then you would not be ripping into this game for having a lack of/confusing story i dont remember getting too much from those games besides them showing up and then getting attacked and all the cutscenes were always showing off a boss or new thing to kill.

the guy made 3-4 of the resident evil games but you expect him to

the guy made 3-4 of the resident evil games but you expect him to go way different with it. i am currently into chapter 3, i have died once. you say it is confusing on where to go, those levels where it gets confusing just means you have to explore and make it through the area, a shanty town/forest whatever else, it wants you to get misdirected because it has traps everywhere and is trying to kill you. thats the whole point of all of it, you survive while it is trying to kill you, it is not going tell you the exact path to go and make it out of the village area, its gonna give you different ways to go so that you can avoid or run into more traps or find more items. explore.

it is a fun game, i enjoy it, i dont expect it to get any easier, im expecting it to get harder and that is a good thing, people who say the game is really difficult are probally just running through the area and running into traps while punching everyone, obviously not gonna work and it didnt work in any resident evil game, it also didnt work in the last of us. also stop comparing it to one of the best games ever, not too many games will stack up but if we are comparing things to the last of us, then every game sucks and should get a 0 because it wasnt as good as that game.

also no character in any resident evil, silent hill has ever showed much or any emotion yet those games are considered legends. go ahead and play them if you dont believe me, they just kinda looked disturbed and slightly shocked at best. like destiny it has suffered from too much hype but is a good game and is fun and complaining or giving low scores for framerate or black bars or graphics are not god-like. apparently your 12 and didnt play any games before the ps3 or 360. your not a gamer, your a paid complainer or just a whiner all on your own which is even worse.
  99. Oct 30, 2014
    In general this is a good with a great premise: The return of pure survival horror by legendary game designer Shinji mikami for next gen consoles, and the results are actually almost there, but control is a bit mess, the graphics are so last gen and some bosses will give you either stupid cheap deaths or specific how-the-heck-i-know-i-must-do-that- pattern tasks to beat him/her, seriouslyIn general this is a good with a great premise: The return of pure survival horror by legendary game designer Shinji mikami for next gen consoles, and the results are actually almost there, but control is a bit mess, the graphics are so last gen and some bosses will give you either stupid cheap deaths or specific how-the-heck-i-know-i-must-do-that- pattern tasks to beat him/her, seriously it's almost an insult. Nevertheless i still enjoy the game i just wish Mikami had executed better Expand
  100. Jul 19, 2015
    I was expecting more from this game than I ended up with. From the get go I just found the game mechanics of The Evil Within to be beyond frustrating. I mean the guy is so slow, in everything he does. I found myself continually shouting at the screen "MOVE!, WHY WONT YOU MOVE!", all of this accompanied by choice profanities and insults.. The main character is also lackluster and has zeroI was expecting more from this game than I ended up with. From the get go I just found the game mechanics of The Evil Within to be beyond frustrating. I mean the guy is so slow, in everything he does. I found myself continually shouting at the screen "MOVE!, WHY WONT YOU MOVE!", all of this accompanied by choice profanities and insults.. The main character is also lackluster and has zero personality. The other supposed main characters in the game make sporadic appearances, often disappearing for chapters on end, only to re-appear again having seemingly no connection to the overall story, a story which even when I came to the end made no sense to me.

Some of the boss fights were insanely difficult, made harder with the clunky controls and a protagonist that runs out of puff almost immediately. Upgrading this ability early is essential as later in the game it would be impossible to get through some of the chapters if he is still running out of steam after 3 seconds..again, very frustrating..more shouting at the screen.

Melee is useless..you could thump an enemy 15 times and it wouldn't do anything..

The graphics were okay but not quite as refined as some other games out there.

The chainsaw monster is straight out of Resident Evil, here by special invitation.

Ammunition...there is not a lot of it around and enemies take a lot of it to be killed. Some of the main boss fights will literally take multiple attempts to get through as memorizing the process or method in which they can be defeated is required, and all while trying to get the main character to actually move with some semblance of fluidity..

I didn't hate this game , it was generally okay but usually I would play a game on an easy or moderate setting the first time around to get a feel for it and then go back and immediately play it again on a hard setting, picking up and collecting things that I may have missed out on the first time around..I have no desire to do this with The Evil Within..Once was enough for me.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 65 Critic Reviews

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Dec 28, 2014
    It's lean, with few repeated ideas, and boasts one of the best save rooms you'll ever experience. [Christmas 2014, p.88]
  2. Games Master UK
    Dec 21, 2014
    Bold and brutal, it has the guts to stay true to its horror roots without feeling outdated. [Christmas 2014, p.58]
  3. Edge Magazine
    Dec 6, 2014
    After a clumsy opening, The Evil Within hits its stride towards the end and the fist act and the tension rarely lets up. [Christmas 2014, p.114]