6.5

1. Sep 26, 2019
    Just finished the game. For me it is best game implementation of Lovecraft's universe. Feels even better then Dark corners of the earth.
  2. Jul 2, 2019
    While not being a seamless experience, The Sinking City manages to bring a unique setting within the Cthulhu mythos and an interesting investigation system that does not hold your hand.
  3. Jul 5, 2019
    Do not listen to the negative reviews. This is one of the best game I have ever played. It's so good that even after playing Resident Evil 2 remake it took me only 20 minutes or so to be completely absorbed by the mesmerizing atmosphere and excellent writing.
    63% and 6.4 user score??? Are you kidding me??? After Sekiro and Resident Evil 2 remake this is the 3rd best game I have played this year. Spend the entire weekend without getting bored or tired. Go get this game, do yourself a favor, you'll love it. People who are downgrading this game, have mostly stopped playing early on feeling somewhat disappointed with not very polished graphics and mechanics, but those flaws are not a big problem. You'll get past them very quick and start enjoying the story and suspense. Awesome Lovecraft game. We need more.
  4. Jul 10, 2019
    Oozes atmosphere. The story is captivating. Allows you to become a real detective. Has some bugs that need to be patched, but i was able to look past them. There is a good game here
  5. Jun 26, 2019
    I can’t believe how low the reviews are for this game! I have played it, non-stop, for the last three days, and I popped on here to see how close to 100 it was. I love this game!! I am not a huge Lovecraft fan, but I am very thankful I bought this game without looking at the reviews. This game takes chances, and it definitely takes some getting used to, but I am so glad to see a game thatI can’t believe how low the reviews are for this game! I have played it, non-stop, for the last three days, and I popped on here to see how close to 100 it was. I love this game!! I am not a huge Lovecraft fan, but I am very thankful I bought this game without looking at the reviews. This game takes chances, and it definitely takes some getting used to, but I am so glad to see a game that doesn’t just copy Far Cry or The Last of Us. Expand
  6. Jun 27, 2019
    For a Lovecraft and murder mystery fan, this is everything I like in a game! It has it's issues sure, but I feel that a lot of people really over exaggerate the problems that they have with this game. And talking a game down or giving it a bad review because it doesn't hold your hand seems kinda weird to me. I know this game isn't really a ten not even a nine, but I feel like I have toFor a Lovecraft and murder mystery fan, this is everything I like in a game! It has it's issues sure, but I feel that a lot of people really over exaggerate the problems that they have with this game. And talking a game down or giving it a bad review because it doesn't hold your hand seems kinda weird to me. I know this game isn't really a ten not even a nine, but I feel like I have to give this score, because a lot of reviews have been dragging this game far too down so that people that might like this game are gonna be put off by this low score! So even when I give this a ten it's more a 8/10 for me! Expand
  7. Jun 26, 2019
    Good game, good story. Overpriced a little bit. I totally recommend to buy it.
  8. Jun 27, 2019
    Amazing game, even the city being too big, its a great title.
    I am a huge lovecraft fan and this was what i needed! Way better than the "Call of Cthulhu" from Cyanide, its even comparable to Silent Hill
  9. Jun 26, 2019
    This is good, interesting game. With great story. Maybe it is a little bit long. But this game cost to play it.
  10. Jun 28, 2019
    Definitely has it's bugs and flaws, especially in the graphics side of things, but the game is a load of fun, and I honestly think some of the bugs add to the horror.
    I enjoy the deduction, even if it's a bit straight forward (still early in the game). The way your "madness sight" works is brilliant, sometimes forcing you to lean towards insanity just to figure out what is going on.
  11. Jun 29, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Sinking City takes steps into genre-refreshing territory in order to set it apart from its Lovecraftian peers. Where 2018’s Call of Cthulhu tries to carve out a small space to tell its own stand-alone story that tucked itself into the already existing cosmic lore, The Sinking City feels like it’s picking up eight movies into a Lovecraft cinematic Cthu-niverse, delivering a concentrated dose of its distinctive flavor. The first five minutes introduce the protagonist, Charles Reed, to Mister Robert Throgmorton, an important character who appears to be half-ape, half-human. That’s a deep-cut reference to Lovecraft’s short story, "Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family." This is quickly followed up by a run-in with the Innsmouthers, who are basically fish people from another novella. It pulls from so many of Lovecraft’s plots, quotes, and themes that it reverently captures the intrigue and interest from these pulpy stories while combining them in a new way. It inspires political and criminal intrigue amidst its true-to-genre story. Expand
  12. Oct 16, 2019
    Game is much better than the rviews tell you. If you like Lovecraft there is nothing to think about -just buy. I had great time with this title and even made a platinum trophy out of it.
  13. Jul 29, 2019
    Best contemporary Lovecraft game there is, maybe the best one ever.
    This game does not deserve all these low marks.
    Pros: - Close to 8th summit tabletop game with all the investigation mechanics, but deeper - A lot of dialogues that RPG fans will like - Tough plot choices, several endings, different quests outcomes - Not too much combat, almost every encounter is a challenge -
    Best contemporary Lovecraft game there is, maybe the best one ever.
    This game does not deserve all these low marks.

Pros:
    - A lot of dialogues that RPG fans will like
    - Tough plot choices, several endings, different quests outcomes
    - Not too much combat, almost every encounter is a challenge
    - Strong survival element in the first half of the game
    - Creepy atmosphere that does not get old, lovely town with interesting lore incorporating different Lovecraft stories
    - Really interesting main plot

Cons:
    - clunky combat and few monster types
    - too much travel between locations (gets better when you get fast travel, but then you wait for load screens)
    - clone sidequests houses
    - open world could be much more rich with just a little effort from developers who could add merchants, more item types, add more exploration incentives, random encounters
    - some sidequests are fetch ones and get repetitive, but there are some absolute gems and unexpected plot twists
    - main character has zero charisma and could use more back story
  14. Jul 13, 2019
    I`m about halfway through the story and i really enjoy this game. The nightmarish, strange game world and lore are amazing.
    The investigation system and moral choice mechanics are very cool.
    The investigation system and moral choice mechanics are very cool.
    Graphics are nice, loading times are ok, there are frame rate drops during daytime, some pop ups, but no game braking bugs/glitches, whats pretty impressive in a open world game from a small studio (unlike in some high budget lame "creations" from famous companies *cough* "Anthem", "F76"*cough*).
    Music is nice, fits to games atmosphere. Some voice actors are doing awesome job, like main protagonist Charles Reed or Robert Throgmorton.
    People are complaining about shooting mechanics, iv´e seen worse, like in recent "Left alive". Just play more stealthily, utilize traps and enable strong aim assist if you are still struggling (lol).

1. Aug 1, 2019
    I would recommend this game only to true Lovecraft’s fans. Follow the story and don’t step aside – otherwise, due to a large number of side quests, you may completely lose the thread of the story. You won’t find interesting gameplay mechanics, gloomy atmosphere or something like that in this game. All I managed to find was a simple detective story with elements of mysticism and a bunch of controversial design solutions. I definitely do not advise you to spend money on The Sinking City.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Jul 30, 2019
    Weaves Lovecraftian mythos into an interesting setting. But it frequently veers into being dull and repetitive, which isn’t what you want from dreamlike horror. [Issue#165, p.89]
  3. Jul 19, 2019
    The Sinking City is a fun game, but to really enjoy it there is a lot you'll have to put up with. Maybe that will be solved in the future, but at the moment the only thing that really saves this game is the amazing influence of Lovecraft.