7.7

1. Jul 20, 2017
    Superficial and Empty. The "No Man's Sky" of RPG Farming Sims.

I enjoyed my first hour, keeping an open mind throughout, and I wanted so bad to love this game. But I am tired of making excuses to justify my wasted evening and my wasted money. Art style is cute and original (outside of the obvious BOTW influence), but the plot is mediocre and unoriginal. Farming is boring and
    Superficial and Empty. The "No Man's Sky" of RPG Farming Sims.

Farming is boring and automated. The animals go from adorable to unnecessary, quick.

Crafting is unrewarding. Items lack interesting descriptions to enhance the experience, leaving a mass of rather useless junk filling up your backpack.

Your backpack's carrying capacity is unclear until you are far away from a chest and unable to store the items, as opposed to Stardew Valley, which is always clear. This is due to the expectation that a scrolling menu (rather than a fixed menu) can imply a very large or endless capacity.

I rather like the bartering system as opposed to a coin-centric model. However, items are shown to equal a certain amount of money, even though actual money is never used, resulting in a strange inconsistency.

Finding Sprites in Yonder (including the prototypical two sentence "you found me" snarky comment) is a not so subtle riff off of finding Kokiri in BOTW (except without the fun/unique/challenging/charming puzzles that come with BOTW).

Yonder's Murk (the purple fog) is clearly another not so subtle riff off of BOTW's Malice (the purple goo).

MC does not sleep, eat, run out of energy, etc, rendering the chef path another useless edition to the game.

MC does not have a house or a central hub, which would have aided in a feeling of commitment to the land and community.

NPCs lack depth and add nothing to the main quest line, who are only there to trigger sidequest after boring sidequest of grinding for useless resources that you probably already have in your bloated backpack.

And there are the recipe quests: Bring me this item, but, first, here is the recipe for the item, and, also, here are the ingredients to craft the item. Make the item. Give me item. (ಠ_ಠ) Thanks.ヽ(ಠ_ಠ)ノ

The most frustrating part about this game is its unfulfilled potential, and it has so much potential!

There is more to say, but I'm just one person. There are extensive reviews on Steam that are very helpful. Please read the reviews before purchase. It may save you your evening and your money.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 39 Critic Reviews

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Feb 8, 2018
    Looks like Zelda, totally isn’t. What you’ve got here is a farming concern which deserves to be spoken in the same breath as Harvest Moon. [September 2017, p71]
  2. Sep 21, 2017
    Obviously, there are some people that probably won’t enjoy Yonder too much. If you want action and adventure, of course, it’ll probably bore you, and if you want a fast-paced story, you’re not going to find that here. But if you’re just looking for a delightful game that allows you to explore to your heart’s contest, Yonder is exactly what you’re looking for.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Aug 24, 2017
    Simple quests, a lack of tutorials, and little-to-no backstory makes Yonder feel unpolished, in direct contrast to its whimsically charming setting. [Sept 2017, p.84]