8.2

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Nov 13, 2020
    One of the most unique games I’ve ever played the game has a rhythm to it that makes you look like you are creating magic. It’s an immersive experience it’s a must try!!
  2. Nov 14, 2020
    Best indie game with Hades this year, beautiful soundtrack. great puzzles and the movement is soo good
  3. Dec 20, 2020
    Giant Squid has outdone themselves again. The Pathless is a much more gamelike game than Abzu, while still retaining that amazing atmosphere and magic.
    The gameplay is polished to perfection, and the mere act of traveling around the map is incredibly fun. In addition, the exploration is extremely well designed. The lack of a map encourages the player to actively explore and chart their own path. In addition, the gliding mechanic coupled with lots of high vantage points allows the player to explore to the fullest sense.
    The boss fights are definitely the highlight of this game, and they deserve a section all to themselves in this review. Each boss fight is unique, and the flashy art style and smooth movement make for such an incredible experience. They're visibly striking while not being unreasonably challenging, and each fight is built up so well. Coupled with incredible music from Austin Wintory, the boss fights make for memorable experiences that make the whole game worthwhile.
    The story was great, although it was definitely the weakest part of the game for me. It has a clear message, and it explores the meaningful bond between an a hunter and an eagle as they seek to restore light to a world obscured by the Godslayer, a mysterious figure who seeks to remake the world. There's also a nice surprise in store for fans of Abzu that left me pondering how the games are related.
    In short, The Pathless is a deeply atmospheric and memorable experience that masterfully guides you through a realized open world with fluid movement, an excellent soundtrack, and insane boss fights. If you're a fan of short, atmospheric, and story focused games, The Pathless is definitely for you.
  4. Nov 29, 2020
    IMPORTANT NOTE: I strongly recommend using a controller for this game. The way the mechanics are designed makes a controller the ideal input method. Your bow and arrow autolocks on to targets and it feels extremely fluid and natural with a controller. This fluidity doesn't translate well to keyboard (at least in my opinion).

This is one of the greatest games I've ever played, and I don't

This is one of the greatest games I've ever played, and I don't say that lightly. A few brief things before I get into specifics. The traversal mechanic feels so good and is so fun to master. The boss fights are some of the absolute coolest I've ever played. Don't miss out on this game. It's well worth the price of admission. Story took me ~8 hours but I'm going for 100% (which I never do) so I have a good 4 or so hours ahead of me at least. And on top of that I plan to replay it for my own enjoyment.

The gameplay loop revolves around solving environmental puzzles to get runes to initiate a boss fight before moving on to the next area. These puzzles are very well designed, scattered evenly, and are up to you to find with minimal guidance.

Boss fights are 15-30 minute ventures that go through multiple stages/environments. They're a spectical but also a blast to play.

I'll leave it there, but The Pathless subverts a lot of usual gameplay tropes and generic mechanics to provide a wholly unique experience.

Strongly recommended.
  5. Nov 17, 2020
    A game that had me wanting to keep playing. Without any instructions and a go at your own pace free play, you figure out real fast what needs to be done. I enjoyed every minute of it.
  6. Nov 14, 2020
    Me parece un buen titulo de la PS5, entretenido y un mundo muy grande para explorar
  7. Dec 8, 2020
    Pure beauty just like their previous title Giant Squid knocks it out of the park again. From fun gameplay to a killer soundtrack and phenomenal art. Favorite launch title
  8. Dec 20, 2020
    What a wonderful little adventure. This really doesn’t take up too much time (took me 6 hours to finish and did some exploring in there). I still fully intend to go through the game getting all the collectables and going for that sweet platinum trophy. The gameplay is smooth, fantastic boss fights in a gorgeous world. The music is some of the best I’ve heard in a game all year too andWhat a wonderful little adventure. This really doesn’t take up too much time (took me 6 hours to finish and did some exploring in there). I still fully intend to go through the game getting all the collectables and going for that sweet platinum trophy. The gameplay is smooth, fantastic boss fights in a gorgeous world. The music is some of the best I’ve heard in a game all year too and shouldn’t go unmentioned.
    A really relaxing experience that doesn’t overstay it’s welcome.
  9. Nov 14, 2020
    The Pathless
    on the right path
    The Pathless
    on the right path
    the pathless is a 5 and a half hour long puzzle adventure game where you play as a hunter only equipped with a bow that souts out with her eagle companion to purify the lands, and to do this you run around each of the games varied areas and complete puzzles, all at your own pace, these puzzles are are fairly easy but immensely satisfying to complete, none will ever stump you too hard to where youll have to look up a guide.. theyre all just genuinely fun and varied enough to not feel repetitive throughout your journey, and once you’ve collected enough pieces by completing these puzzle, you plug them into a tower and once all 3 towers of that area are lit you can go take on that areas boss, all of which happen in multiple stages, the first hunting them down in a chase sequence, and then finally taking them down one on one and by doing so youll unlock a new perk and the games next area.. this is the entire hook of the game and all in all its great, but the overall execution of the pathless is what keeps it just below that bar of ultimate greatness, my biggest issues with the pathless is just how unfun traversal is… at first its fun shooting your arrows at these little target ot gain speed and slide and fly all around the map, but even before this mechanic is introduced, you immediately feel how slow and sluggish your character feels, and having to rely on hitting those targets to have any speed is just a nusance, making getting from puzzle to puzzle quite the drag… and to make matters worse there is this awesful fire dome that chasing you as you go around the map, getting sucked into one forces you to stealthfully recover your eagle companin and dust them off to continue the game.. I just wnna explore and solve puzzles.. leave me alone… and even finding these items you need to progress is annoying too.. you have an ability that will make areas of interest glow, but the red glow seems to not always indicate exactly what you need, it could just be an optional collectable, I just wish these things were color coded as again, traversing through this world with such sluggish controls just isn’t fun a lot of the time.. its fine when you do have a meter, but again its just a nussaince to have to constantly be hitting tagets as you run through the world to have any sort of speed…
    With fixes to the speed of your character, and color coding different areas of interest and the pathless is definitely a gret game, but as of right now, for what it is.. its so close to being great, bt not quite there…
    This was a unique experience, the boss battles are amazing, and id highly recommend this to anyone into exploring worlds and solving puzzles..
    I give The Pathless
    a 7.5/10
  10. Nov 14, 2020
    Surprenant, envoûtant et Enchanteur. Le seul petit point faible et que cela devient un peu répétitif au bout d'une moment.
  11. Dec 5, 2020
    While ABZU felt to me like a retread of Journey, The Pathless has a unique voice and stands strongly on its own. It takes inspiration from Fumito Ueda’s games, ThatGameCompany, and Breath of the Wild, but remixes their ideas and adds some of its own. It comes out feeling fresh, fun, and beautiful.
  12. Dec 27, 2020
    Although it looks nice, it’s all been done before nothing new or exciting about any of the puzzles I just found it boring.
  13. Jul 28, 2021
    Excellent game. Has an atmosphere similar to Shadow of the Colossus. Well worth your time. Play it.
  14. Jul 2, 2022
    Game with a brilliant art style and some fantastic music, provides a enjoyable experience and a calm feeling. Its a an amazing experience, play to feel it !
  15. Jul 11, 2021
    Context: I Platinumed (100%) the game on the Playstation 5, running the Playstation 4 version. I am an Austin Wintory fan and figured I need to give them game a try.

While not like Journey or Abzu, the Pathless offers a similar experience. A narrative story with minimal tutorial or assistance. The Pathless is a long puzzle adventure game where you play as a hunter equipped with a bow, fighting alongside an eagle companion to stop the dark ritual fabricated by the God Slayer. You will encounter series of bosses, first hunting them down in a chase sequence, and then finally taking them down in an arena style manner. This is easily the highlight of the game. The movement archery mechanic is unique and enjoyable most of the time but it has a level of jankiness that ruins the flow of the game. It's fun at first to shoot your arrows at these small targets to gain speed and slide and fly around the map, but even before this mechanic is introduced, you'll notice how slow and sluggish your character is, and having to rely on hitting those targets to gain any speed is a minor annoyance, making getting from puzzle to puzzle a chore... To make matters worse, there's this terrifying fire dome chasing you across the level, and getting dragged into one demands you to stealthily collect your eagle companion and dust them off in order to continue the game. Leave me alone... I just want to explore and solve riddles. It's also aggravating to locate the goods you'll need to advance as the red glow does not tell you whether the area is a lightstone needed for story progression or simply a collectible.

All great things however, this game has a $50 CAD price tag. The average player will speed through the main story in 3-4 hours tops, collecting the minimum amount of lightstones needed to progress. As a value gamer, its hard for me to recommend a game that can be beaten and fully explored, even with the slowest of paces, in 15 hours with little to no replayability. There is an 'alternative ending' when you collect all the lightstones but it was a let down. If this becomes a $15 or free for Playstation Plus members, I believe this game will attract a larger audience that it does deserve.
  16. Aug 6, 2021
    A short but very sweet adventure from the makers of the beautiful Abzû. The gameplay is very satisfying and full of exciting, cinematic moments. I love the mystical world of the game and the music is fantastic. An overlooked gem.
  17. Aug 29, 2021
    beautiful and breath taking game that is nice relaxing to play, the feeling of running around in shooting gliding and All The movement mechanics makes it nice and relaxing to play. The game is movement puzzles and puzzle puzzle So you are gonna have very good experience , and it's very easy to Platinum So Very enjoyable
  18. Apr 7, 2021
    The Pathless is to me a great puzzle platformer that combines quick combo movement with smart puzzle and a simple but visually amazing world. You cleanse the world from an evil spirit is basically the one-sentenced-plot. I finished the game at around 7hrs and did quite some sidetasks too. Overall I liked the game quite a bit. The movement is fluent, the visuals are nice but a bit too blandThe Pathless is to me a great puzzle platformer that combines quick combo movement with smart puzzle and a simple but visually amazing world. You cleanse the world from an evil spirit is basically the one-sentenced-plot. I finished the game at around 7hrs and did quite some sidetasks too. Overall I liked the game quite a bit. The movement is fluent, the visuals are nice but a bit too bland for my liking, same goes to the general boss appearances. Also the game itself feels very empty. It has something to do with the story too but that doesnt make it better for my personal liking.

The puzzling is pretty good although I m mostly not good in such things I did most of the stuff without much frustration. The combat itself is okay although most of the game is not around fighting at all. You traverse the world, solve puzzles, cleanse altars until you fight a few bosses up to the end. Movement sets are very generic. If you get the 2-4 moves every boss has, it is very easy. Some bosses are clearly inspired by other well known games but I dont want to spoil much.

I can recommend the game although for its quite repetitive content and the around 6-8hrs I find that 40 euros are too much in my opinion. I think at around 30 the game is worth the buy and I would personally give it an 8 to 8.5.
  19. Dec 26, 2020
    Great game! It's like a larger and more action-packed Journey/Rime. On PS5, excellent use of adaptive trigers in bow shooting. I was keen to make a platinum trophy. 9/10
  20. Nov 18, 2021
    This is a magical and very unique game and one of my favourite games ever. It has the same feel as games like the last guardian, shadow of the colossus and rime.
  21. May 24, 2021
    The game has a nice flow. It’s not innovative or a blockbuster but it’s solid and fun to play!
  22. Mar 11, 2021
    Every frame is a painting, beautiful game. Amazingly beautiful boss fights. Satisfying traversal. Interesting puzzles. Somewhat repetitive. Short. Overall great experience!
  23. Jun 20, 2021
    The first thing that struck me while playing the game was how large, open, and detailed the world was. It is packed with small hidden puzzles and has it's fair share of larger puzzles as well.. None of the puzzles are hard in any way, but the boss fights can be a bit of a challenge at times. I was not expecting the difficulty spikes. I got the platinum in less than a day, so it isn't aThe first thing that struck me while playing the game was how large, open, and detailed the world was. It is packed with small hidden puzzles and has it's fair share of larger puzzles as well.. None of the puzzles are hard in any way, but the boss fights can be a bit of a challenge at times. I was not expecting the difficulty spikes. I got the platinum in less than a day, so it isn't a huge game at all. I liked this far better than Abzu. There was nothing wrong with it, but Giant Squid stepped it up big time with this game. Expand
  24. Jan 2, 2021
    Very enjoyable game. If you've played the likes of Journey or Abzu you'll like The Pathless. Interesting travel mechanics and the purposeful lack of a map lead to greater immersion. Discussing immersion The Pathless has a great soundtrack and amazing artistic styling and direction. A wide array of the puzzle keeps you intrigued and never truly bored. Even the story had its merits whenVery enjoyable game. If you've played the likes of Journey or Abzu you'll like The Pathless. Interesting travel mechanics and the purposeful lack of a map lead to greater immersion. Discussing immersion The Pathless has a great soundtrack and amazing artistic styling and direction. A wide array of the puzzle keeps you intrigued and never truly bored. Even the story had its merits when looking into the lore of the game that is presented with stories scattered across the game's landscape. Each boss felt unique and an overall fun experience. If you haven't picked it up already i would say it's a great, laid back, and fun edition to any kind of gamers collection. Expand
  25. Jan 28, 2021
    قدرة اللعبة على إدخال اللاعب في مغامرة فعلية في عالم منسي وبناء الشعور عنده بعجائب هذا العالم وأهمية استكشافه شي جدا جبار وغالبا ما تنجح فيه الكثير من الألعاب الأخرى. عاده ما تحتاج الألعاب الأخرى ومن ضمنها الكثير من ألعاب العالم المفتوح إلى تسلسل معين من المهمات الأساسية حتى تبني القصة للاعب ولكن ذا باثلس استطاعت إنها تبني قصتها من دون الحاجة لهذا الشي في عالم مفتوح يعتمد على الاستكشافقدرة اللعبة على إدخال اللاعب في مغامرة فعلية في عالم منسي وبناء الشعور عنده بعجائب هذا العالم وأهمية استكشافه شي جدا جبار وغالبا ما تنجح فيه الكثير من الألعاب الأخرى. عاده ما تحتاج الألعاب الأخرى ومن ضمنها الكثير من ألعاب العالم المفتوح إلى تسلسل معين من المهمات الأساسية حتى تبني القصة للاعب ولكن ذا باثلس استطاعت إنها تبني قصتها من دون الحاجة لهذا الشي في عالم مفتوح يعتمد على الاستكشاف والغامرة. ما راح أحرق القصة ولكن بشكل عام قصة اللعبة تدور عن راميه سهام محترفه تقع عليها مهمة في جزيرة يكون فيها واقع الإنسان مرتبط بواقع الأرواح. طريقة اللعب جدا جميلة بالأخص بالبليستيشن 5 بسبب وحدة التحكم واللي تعطيك الإحساس الفعلي بالأسهم. اللعبة ما تعتمد على دقة اللاعب فالمساعدة في تصويب الأسهم هي تلقائية من اللعبة نفسها ولكن نوعا ما التوقيت يكون مهم في بعض الأماكن. عالم اللعبة كله ألغاز وتحتاج أنك تحل بعضهم عساس تقدر تكمل بالقصة وللأمانة ما شفت اي لغز صعب نهائيا وأغلبهم جدا واضحين وهذا الشي مو سيئ نهائيا بالعكس ألغاز اللعبة كانت جميلة. شي جدا مهم أن تعرفة أن اللعبة ما في خريطة وهذا الشي يعيشك جو استكشاف اللعبة بصورة أحلى وبنفس الوقت عالم اللعبة سهل الحفظ. تصوير اللعبة جيد والأصوات والموسيقى جدا جميلة وتتماشى مع اللعبة وفكرتها. بالنهاية أشوف أن اللعبة جدا ناجحة واستطاعت أنها تبني روح الاستكشاف والمغامرة لدى اللاعب.

من الآخر:

1- اللعبة تعطي اللاعب الإحساس الفعلي بأهمية الاستكشاف والمغامرة.
    2- استطاعت اللعبة إنها تبني قصتها في عالم مفتوح من دون الحاجة لتسلسل معين من المهمات واعتمدت بشكل اساسي على الاستكشاف.
    3- ألغاز اللعبة سهلة وبشكل عام واضحة ولكن في نفس الوقت ممتعة.
    4- بدون مجاملة لازم تحط ببالك أن فكرة اللعبة أهيا المغامرة والاستكشاف فإذا أنت مهتم فقط أنك تخلص اللعبة كقصة شخصيا ما أنصحك فيها ولكن العكس إذا حاب تلعب اللعبة وتنهي كل شي فيها.
  26. Feb 23, 2021
    Even though I played Spider Man befor the Pathless, I was much more impressed by the visuals of Giant Squid Studio. Most of the time it is a deeply relaxing experience, but the Boss battles are awesome and epic.
  27. Mar 2, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Pathless puts you in a world that is a joy to traverse and constantly rewards your curiosity. The attention to detail puts the experience over the top, with the score, visual style, game design, lore, and controller haptics creating an immersive and refreshing take on the open-world genre.
    The story pacing is incredible, but left me scratching my head at the very end, making me wish there was just a little bit more closure to tie the bow on the whole thing, if you'll forgive the pun :)
    All in all, this game is outstanding and an experience worth having.
  28. Nov 26, 2021
    A really good game! The history is amazing, the exploration is amazing and really the game is amazing. You will enjoy this game a lot.
  29. Nov 29, 2021
    When I played this game I was like this seems to be influenced by Abzu and Zelda/breath of the wild, makes sense it's from the same developers of Abzu. What this game does better than Abzu is that it offers a lot more puzzles and interaction with the environment, with also some intense battles too. It does however at times feel somewhat empty or takes awhile to get to the next area toWhen I played this game I was like this seems to be influenced by Abzu and Zelda/breath of the wild, makes sense it's from the same developers of Abzu. What this game does better than Abzu is that it offers a lot more puzzles and interaction with the environment, with also some intense battles too. It does however at times feel somewhat empty or takes awhile to get to the next area to complete a puzzle

Pros
    -Great music that fits the different environments and intense battles, and the voice acting is decent
    -Having an eagle as an companion is always a plus haha
    -Great design of the characters, better improvement of Abzu
    -Being able to traverse by gliding with your eagle or using the targets that you destory with your bow and arrow to gain speed makes is rather unique.
    -The story is an welcomed addition as it adds more meaning and it is kind of like an abridged story, as the game is only a few hours
    -Rather well designed boss fights, which offer a challenge
    -Puzzles for the most part are proper difficulty, not too difficult but still makes you think.

Cons
    -You can't lose, there's no game over... which is somewhat of an odd choice considering how there's five boss fights. I think that kind of makes it less impactful as you know you just have to get the patterns down and thus you win. I will say some of the action is unclear at first what to do, and it does get repetitive that the boss fights only use fire and no other elemental abilities.
    -This isn't really a negative, but the boss fights are like heavily borrowed from other games like Zelda, with movesets that match Gannon or calamity gannon, I thought that was odd because the game is like half puzzle, then the rest is battles. You could make the argument that the battles feel out of place if you were expecting something more like Abzu.
    -Game desperately needed a mini map/map of some sort that highlighted better of where to go.
    -Game length is somewhat short, took only like 5hrs, and that's not completing everything. that's still somewhat of a short game though.

Overall, great game, Don't think this game is worth full price, $40, wait for a sale like I did for like half off.
  30. Jul 10, 2021
    This is a very a rare game for me. The gameplay is definitely fun and very based around puzzles; consdering the rewards you get for solving them, and how tense the situation around some of them are, it never got boring for me. Where the game definitely shines, though, is in its story, presentation and storytelling. Uncovering the lore of this land while you fight to restore it, whileThis is a very a rare game for me. The gameplay is definitely fun and very based around puzzles; consdering the rewards you get for solving them, and how tense the situation around some of them are, it never got boring for me. Where the game definitely shines, though, is in its story, presentation and storytelling. Uncovering the lore of this land while you fight to restore it, while forming a bond with your adorable companion... It's perfect. I definitely shed a tear at the end, as a grown man. It reminded me a lot of my favourite game(s), Ori 1&2. It's a near perfect game for me, and I would heartily recommend for anyone that likes a good story, a gorgeous world to explore, and/or fun/rewarding puzzles. Easy 10/10 for me, would be higher if possible. Expand
  31. Sep 14, 2021
    The pathless ist ein angenehm, entschleunigendes Spiel bei dem man eine Menge erkunden kann und dessen Rätsel mir sehr viel Spaß machen. Die Bosskämpfe sind visuell schön inszeniert und recht kurzweilig. Außer den Bossen gibt es keine Gegner im Spiel was es zu einem angenehmen Zeitvertreib über ca 7-10 Stunden macht.
  32. Sep 28, 2021
    Gorgeous indie, fast-paced, creative. iam8bit did a really good job. I highly recommend it.
  33. Jan 28, 2022
    Amazing experience... It's like shadow of the colossus only difference you're running fast and flying with the help of your friend (eagle). The graphics and controls are top quality. So worth it all the way to the platinum

Generally favorable reviews - based on 50 Critic Reviews

1. Apr 23, 2021
    The Pathless is not a big game and doesn't want to gamble too much, but knows which aspects to really bet on. The heart of the game experience is exploration and does a good job of making you fully enjoy the rides and flights over its small but fascinating world.
  2. Feb 8, 2021
    The Pathless is a really entertaining game from the creators of Abzû. The game lets you explore a vast world with a huntress and her eagle. Saving the world is no terrible job since the world is truly amazing, but the lack of enemies and the lack of unlockables don't really invite you to do. Where everything in the game is balanced really good from the puzzles to the boss fights, you get the feeling something is missing eventually. The game is great but could be much, much more than this.
  3. Jan 27, 2021
    The Pathless is a visual stunner that lets you explore its gorgeous world via an innovative and fun traversal mechanic. It may be modest in scale, but the platformer leaves a big impact courtesy of smart puzzles and exciting boss battles.