5.5

1. Mar 21, 2020
    It’s a fun game, very reminiscent of the old Animal Crossing games. HOWEVER, the inability for users of the same switch to have different islands isn’t cool. In fact, only the first player on the switch can complete assignments from Tom Nook and other characters. Not even a second copy of the game will rectify this. The only way to rectify it is to buy another switch. Nintendo is beingIt’s a fun game, very reminiscent of the old Animal Crossing games. HOWEVER, the inability for users of the same switch to have different islands isn’t cool. In fact, only the first player on the switch can complete assignments from Tom Nook and other characters. Not even a second copy of the game will rectify this. The only way to rectify it is to buy another switch. Nintendo is being VERY GREEDY in limiting the game play like this. And for that reason, I give this game a 4. Expand
  2. Mar 22, 2020
    I'm cool with the one island per console limitation, but its insane that progress in the game is restricted to what player one does. I recently started an island with my wife. What if my wife quits playing the game? Will I have to start over? Crazy.
  3. Mar 24, 2020
    "One Dictator, Seven Slaves" same-console multiplayer is a huge disappointment. We bought this game to *share* it- one island, one screen, shared decisions and contribution,
  4. Mar 23, 2020
    To actually review this game I think you'll need two scores. The first score being the game when you are Citizen Representative (you booted up the game first) and the second score when you are an additional player.

I was unlucky enough to boot the game second and am not a Citizen Representative and to be honest I stopped playing the game after two days. You always have a feeling you have an inferior game where you are nothing more than a character on someone's island. You don't get to name the island, you don't get to build the structures on the island and you don't get to contribute to most of the "story" which Animal Crossing has to offer.

My brother who is the Citizen Representative enjoys the game and it is really polished and has a nice gameplay loop, but I feel ripped off. To me, this game deserves nothing more than a 1 out of 10, because I really cannot live with the fact that my game is limited. If you pay €60 for a game, you want to fully enjoy it. Now I just can't because of these restrictions.
  5. Mar 25, 2020
    Only the first player created in the game can actually contribute to the development of the island and do the important stuff. The other players on the island can’t contribute and can only really gather resources. This limits every other player than the 1st one and really blows. I hope Nintendo fixes this.
  6. Mar 20, 2020
    My gf started playing before me. No option to create my own island and guys, being the 2nd player to start on a console SUCKS!!!! You miss out on so much that only the 1st player gets in terms of activities, resources, etc. It's absolutely terrible. You have to buy a 2nd console if more than one person in your household wants to get the full game experience. That's unacceptable.
  7. Mar 28, 2020
    Bought the game for my Girlfriend and me. The system that you can only have one island is absolutely **** Why Nintendo, why???? Destroyed so much fun for me..
  8. Mar 20, 2020
    While the game itself is great, really relaxing and gorgeous, i can't ignore one thing that ruins the whole experience for me and a lot of other people as seen by the different user reviews.

That thing is that you only have 1 island per console. This decision limits to one person being able to enjoy the full experience. It also nukes any creative control of the island, since you have the other users
    house and furniture. I hope nintendo can soon fix this big issue, because for now, this killed any intentions i had to play the game.
  9. Mar 20, 2020
    My wife and I were looking forward to playing this game when it released. I bought it, I let her play first she made an island and played for a bit. Then I decided to play only to discover that Nintendo only allows one island per switch! Not only that, the second player cannot build anything on the island and tool building is considerably harder to do. So, if you have more than one personMy wife and I were looking forward to playing this game when it released. I bought it, I let her play first she made an island and played for a bit. Then I decided to play only to discover that Nintendo only allows one island per switch! Not only that, the second player cannot build anything on the island and tool building is considerably harder to do. So, if you have more than one person in your home that wants to play the game, you need two switches. Worst decision I have ever seen, this even beats EA.
    Congratulations Nintendo, you have officially become the worst video game company this year!
  10. Mar 23, 2020
    The one island per console is pretty stupid, but I really enjoy the game. Probably a much bigger issue for those with families or multiple users on the same Switch but for me it's not too much of a problem. Really great way to unwind, the Nook Miles are a little gimmicky but keep the game interesting for now. Kinda wish it wasn't locked to real time but mostly because I'm impatient. I canThe one island per console is pretty stupid, but I really enjoy the game. Probably a much bigger issue for those with families or multiple users on the same Switch but for me it's not too much of a problem. Really great way to unwind, the Nook Miles are a little gimmicky but keep the game interesting for now. Kinda wish it wasn't locked to real time but mostly because I'm impatient. I can see myself logging a metric f-ton of time into this game. Good way to calm down after ripping and tearing through Hell in Doom Eternal. Expand
  11. Mar 24, 2020
    Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a great solo game that innovates and improves on most facets of the previous entries in the series and advertises that you can play with up to eight players on one island!
    On the surface it sounds great, and it can be if you only want to play solo. This is a social game though, meant to be enjoyed by more than one person, and that experience is unfortunately ruined by some unbelievably poor design choices and limitations.
    The only player who gets any real meaningful control over the island is the one who begins the game. They get to build villager's houses, place community buildings, etc. All players who come after them are treated like second-rate citizens, are given no control over virtually anything, and have a significantly diminished experience.
    Through their failings, Nintendo has ruined what would have been an amazing experience for people to enjoy together. Unless you intend to play this game solo I suggest avoiding it.
  12. Mar 24, 2020
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF MULTIPLE PEOPLE ARE PLANNING TO PLAY ON ONE SWITCH.
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF MULTIPLE PEOPLE ARE PLANNING TO PLAY ON ONE SWITCH.
    If you do, there goes $60 down the drain. Only 1 island is allowed to be created per Switch, and if another player on the same Switch wants to play, they'll be a glorified visitor on the island, unable to make any decisions for the island, being restricted to do essentially nothing but build their own home. The game either needs to make the option of making multiple islands or give everyone on an island the option to be in control. My sister made an account first and unless I pay another $300 for a new Switch, I can't play the game. Such a disappointment, would rather have gotten DOOM.
  13. Mar 20, 2020
    BEWARE! If you have multiple people in your house that want to play this game they can not each have their own account (island). ONLY ONE customizable island can be played per Switch. Even if you buy two copies of the game you will still only be able to customize ONE island. I have 3 kids that want to play this game and they each want to customize their own island - AND THEY CANT!BEWARE! If you have multiple people in your house that want to play this game they can not each have their own account (island). ONLY ONE customizable island can be played per Switch. Even if you buy two copies of the game you will still only be able to customize ONE island. I have 3 kids that want to play this game and they each want to customize their own island - AND THEY CANT! This is absolutely unacceptable. Maybe the dumbest thing Nintendo has ever done. I have owned every Nintendo console since the original NES and I can not think of a worse decision by Nintendo. Expand
  14. Mar 20, 2020
    The limitation of one island per Switch (not per cartridge, per Switch) is nonsensical. It‘s obvious Nintendo is just trying to sell more Switch consoles. This means only one person in your family can enjoy the game to its fullest extent. Player 2 can barely do anything, and their progression is blocked until player 1 progresses further. Player 2 can’t make any administrative decisions.The limitation of one island per Switch (not per cartridge, per Switch) is nonsensical. It‘s obvious Nintendo is just trying to sell more Switch consoles. This means only one person in your family can enjoy the game to its fullest extent. Player 2 can barely do anything, and their progression is blocked until player 1 progresses further. Player 2 can’t make any administrative decisions. Players 1 and 2 have to share limited daily resources. I had to delete my save so my brother could enjoy the game.

Sorry but this is an instant 0/10. The Switch is a family-oriented console and this is not a family-oriented game. This is a colossal failure on Nintendo’s part.
  15. Mar 20, 2020
    I was very excited for this new installment of the Animal Crossing series. And I wish I could say that all the new bells and whistles and pretty graphics have made it the best ever. But Nintendo made the worst decision they could have possible made for this game.

You can only have one island per SWITCH. Not per user profile. Not per Cartridge. Per SWITCH. This game is supposed to be

This game is supposed to be Zen. It's not supposed to be the reason for a spike in domestic homicides. Having to share limited space with multiple family members competing for limited daily resources basically makes this game unplayable if, like a reasonable human, you only have one of these consoles in your family because they already have multiplayer support and you shouldn't need more than one for everyone to enjoy a game.

Nintendo needs to patch this, or else refund every person that isn't a single person household with this game.
  16. Mar 22, 2020
    I think it's a really enjoyable, addictive game. The graphics look really good, and doing chores for Tom Nook doesn't feel like it. The criticisms about one island per console are very valid, and understandably frustrating. I can see how families and couples would have a problem with it, though, even if it is something I do not. Just don't think that's worth giving it a zero. Anyways, buyI think it's a really enjoyable, addictive game. The graphics look really good, and doing chores for Tom Nook doesn't feel like it. The criticisms about one island per console are very valid, and understandably frustrating. I can see how families and couples would have a problem with it, though, even if it is something I do not. Just don't think that's worth giving it a zero. Anyways, buy at your own risk, but do your homework first Expand
  17. Mar 20, 2020
    We need equal values and opportunities for all players on the island! My wife is the first player, which is great but I do not want to wait for her progress. At the same time, I do not want her to have a a second class player experience if I am the founder. Fix this Nintendo!!
  18. Mar 20, 2020
    It's 2020 and for some reason Nintendo has decided that only one island is available per Switch console. Meaning my fiancé cannot progress the game beyond what I have done since I started my game first. She cannot place buildings down. She cannot obtain better tools until I've done it myself. Why is she hamstrung? She has to have a lesser experience because of it. This is an utter joke andIt's 2020 and for some reason Nintendo has decided that only one island is available per Switch console. Meaning my fiancé cannot progress the game beyond what I have done since I started my game first. She cannot place buildings down. She cannot obtain better tools until I've done it myself. Why is she hamstrung? She has to have a lesser experience because of it. This is an utter joke and I expect my money back. I'm being pushed into buying a new console just so she can have the full experience. I will NOT be buying a whole new console just for that. This is shameful. Expand
  19. Mar 24, 2020
    Having one island per console isn't even the worst part about this game. The fact that every other player - except the first person to boot up the game - cannot learn and perform more than 75% of the games functions is beyond UNACCEPTABLE. At this point Nintendo expects each switch console user to purchase their own switch with an additional animal crossing game if they want to play AC atHaving one island per console isn't even the worst part about this game. The fact that every other player - except the first person to boot up the game - cannot learn and perform more than 75% of the games functions is beyond UNACCEPTABLE. At this point Nintendo expects each switch console user to purchase their own switch with an additional animal crossing game if they want to play AC at the same register as the island "resident representative" LOL. This issue is clearly a money grabbing scheme and could easily be avoided by either 1) allowing everyone to be 'resident representative, or 2) Giving each player the OPTION to either join someone else's island on their switch OR create their own island. This function needs to be fixed as the game at this point is BROKEN, and is very disappointing for the following types of demographics: Couples who share a switch, siblings who share a switch, a parent and a child who want to play together, Roommates who all pitched in to buy a switch together.... you get my point. Hopefully it can be fixed because currently customers are very dissatisfied with the results. Expand
  20. Mar 27, 2020
    Only one island per console. The only way to get another is to buy another console I don’t mind buying another copy of the game but another console is too much. I’m leaving such a negative score in the hopes nintendo has a change of heart.
  21. Mar 20, 2020
    This is so annoying. Only one player has the ability to play this game because only one island. Nintendo doesn't deserve my money anymore.
  22. Mar 22, 2020
    It seems all the negative reviews are about the fact that you can only have one island per system, regardless of how many users there are. If this isn't a problem then you, like me, will absolutely love this game. It's Animal Crossing - on the Switch. Things from the older games have been streamlined but it feels different enough to be a worthy sequel.

The game looks gorgeous, the

The game looks gorgeous, the character customisation is at a series high, the villagers seem more alive than ever before, the progression is satisfying (albeit slow in the first few days), and all in all, the game is just fantastic. I'll be playing it for years, for sure.
  23. Mar 24, 2020
    As a secondary island member, it is hard to rate this game more than a 1. This is my first time playing an Animal Crossing game. My spouse played first, establishing himself as the island representative. I quickly realized that this meant I have no ability to make any decisions about the island. Thankfully my spouse asks for my input when placing houses, musuem, etc.. But then I realizedAs a secondary island member, it is hard to rate this game more than a 1. This is my first time playing an Animal Crossing game. My spouse played first, establishing himself as the island representative. I quickly realized that this meant I have no ability to make any decisions about the island. Thankfully my spouse asks for my input when placing houses, musuem, etc.. But then I realized he also gets access to diy recipes that I don't and that the island doesn't progress if he doesn't progress it. I can't contribute to the building off houses! We have no problems sharing resources. We have divided the island in half and have been sharing... But I feel like I'm getting a watered down version of the game. I don't think I should have to buy a whole other switch just so I cna have my own island! It seems ridiculous and unfair. I can't even imagine having a family with children who all want to play. How do you decide who gets to be the decision maker? I am sad because I love the game, but I feel disappointed that I don't get to experience it in full because I'm not the primary player. Expand
  24. Mar 20, 2020
    I purchased this game for my household (me and my GF) and she started playing the game first. There was no advertisement or clear indication of this but each switch console is limited to one Island and the first person on that Island has a much better gaming experience than anyone else. Anyone else that joins the island cannot build and building, set any mandates, and cannot progress inI purchased this game for my household (me and my GF) and she started playing the game first. There was no advertisement or clear indication of this but each switch console is limited to one Island and the first person on that Island has a much better gaming experience than anyone else. Anyone else that joins the island cannot build and building, set any mandates, and cannot progress in the story (e.g. getting tools) until the owner of the island does. There are also restrictions on what the second player can put in the musuem. There is no reason for there not to be a second game file for each profile on the switch and Ninentdo attempt to push people to buy seperate consoles for this game is extremely greedy. Gameplay is actually great but the severe limitations and no forewarning leads me to post this review to tell people not to buy this game if more than one person will play on the switch. Expand
  25. Mar 21, 2020
    The game is probably fine but you can't fully experience it if you are the second player on the same console. You are forced to live on the island of the player who first started the game. Even worse, you share resources. So player one collects all fruits, insects etc. and you stand there with nothing. This has to be the worst game design decision ever made. Until that is fixed I cannotThe game is probably fine but you can't fully experience it if you are the second player on the same console. You are forced to live on the island of the player who first started the game. Even worse, you share resources. So player one collects all fruits, insects etc. and you stand there with nothing. This has to be the worst game design decision ever made. Until that is fixed I cannot play and therefore not recommend the game. Shame on you Nintendo. Thats not family friendly at all. Expand
  26. Mar 20, 2020
    they heavily marketed this game as a social experience. a game to share with your friends and family. but heres the catch, you will need 1 nintendo switch for each player to get the full experience. I bought the game to share it with my girlfriend but the first player is considered as the FOUNDER of the island, and he is the one that will progress the story, that will unlock stuff and dothey heavily marketed this game as a social experience. a game to share with your friends and family. but heres the catch, you will need 1 nintendo switch for each player to get the full experience. I bought the game to share it with my girlfriend but the first player is considered as the FOUNDER of the island, and he is the one that will progress the story, that will unlock stuff and do all the cool things. The second nintendo switch profile will act merely as a villager, with little to no impact on the game and not able to progress without the founders progress. Game ruined by greed, want to have the full experience? BUY 2 PHYSICAL COPIES AND 2 NINTENDO SWITCHES, yeah thats what nintendo requires of you to play a social game if you want to be social. Expand
  27. Mar 24, 2020
    The game is awesome, but the limit of one island per console means that only one person in my family actually gets to enjoy the game in its entirety

Everyone else is limited in what they can do, and they all take a supporting role. Disappointed to be honest. The game would be perfect if each profile could choose between joining an existing island or creating their own. Unfortunately, this is the only way I can protest
  28. Mar 24, 2020
    Nintendo made this game so that only one person per console can get the full experience and it disappointing to say the least.
  29. Mar 20, 2020
    One island per console is a pretty terrible and greedy design choice by Nintendo. Whoever is first on the island gets the full game experience and everyone else is gimped and cannot progress or do the same things.
  30. Mar 22, 2020
    Retains the relaxed and addictive atmosphere the series is known for while also offering many quality of life improvements, such as choosing where other villagers live and the ability to place furniture outside. These factors contribute to an excellent amount of customisation and ensure that I will be playing for years to come.

I have two complaints with this new entry though. The first

I have two complaints with this new entry though. The first is the crafting mechanic. While scavenging for materials to build things ranging from tools to furniture is interesting initially, the novelty wears off quickly and it becomes a chore. This is especially evident with tools constantly breaking. The second complaint is the lack of cloud saving, giving me no current way to back up my save data.
  31. Mar 20, 2020
    You can only create one island per switch and anyone else that joins the island literally cannot progress until the person who created it does. Greedy Nintendo at it again.
  32. Mar 20, 2020
    Only ONE island per console!

You can't create a different island per user/account. Once you have created an island on your console, all users have to share it. Good luck if you have two or more kids... Nintendo got away with forcing us to buy one game per user for years and years with Pokemon and Animal Crossing, and now they want us to buy one CONSOLE per user. They had the
    Only ONE island per console!

You can't create a different island per user/account.
    Once you have created an island on your console, all users have to share it.
    Good luck if you have two or more kids...

Nintendo got away with forcing us to buy one game per user for years and years with Pokemon and Animal Crossing, and now they want us to buy one CONSOLE per user. They had the "excuse" of lack of memory space with cartridges, but with the Switch, there is literally NO GOOD REASON to do that but CORPORATE GREED.

That kind of practice shouldn't be allowed.
    Seriously, shame on you Nintendo!
  33. Mar 21, 2020
    YES, the game starts slowly, but by day 3, I have had so much to do, I don't know what to do with all my time! This is exactly the game the world needs right now. Highly recommended, 10/10.
  34. Mar 20, 2020
    You can only have one island per Switch. If multiple people play on the same system, you’ll be tied to whoever started the first game’s island. Kinda kills any sort of independence.
  35. Mar 20, 2020
    Why add local co op if you can only do one island and not have an option to split screen?
  36. Mar 20, 2020
    Forcing there to only be 1 island per account completely ruins multiplayer for any family or residents that share a switch. The only way to enjoy this with your family is purchasing multiple switches, and that's completely ridiculous. There's no reason not to have the option of starting a new Island. Just shady business. The game is fun, unfortunately, not everyone who lives on the islandForcing there to only be 1 island per account completely ruins multiplayer for any family or residents that share a switch. The only way to enjoy this with your family is purchasing multiple switches, and that's completely ridiculous. There's no reason not to have the option of starting a new Island. Just shady business. The game is fun, unfortunately, not everyone who lives on the island will get to experience that. Expand
  37. Mar 24, 2020
    Though advertised as multiplayer most in game actions are unnecessarily locked to the first person that starts the game. The poor design decisions include, but are not limited to:
    1) There is no mechanical reason for only one person to be allowed to craft certain items. This not only applies to larger projects such bridges, but also smaller diy recipes are only gifted to the first player. 2) You canot travel to other islands or invite friends to your island while playing co-op. (Not only online functions but the in game deserted islands too.)
    3) Rather than create a co-op inventory system they opted to be lazy and limit it to the leader only. Other items are teleported to a shared inventory.
    4) Another minor issue with co-op is the controls for swapping tools changes depending on whether you're the leader or not. This is obviously a minor gripe, but annoying none the less. & completely unnecessary.
    5) The most annoying thing about these issues is that they're the result of poor design choices and laziness.
  38. Mar 23, 2020
    It's absolutely amazing, gorgeous looking game, tons of stuff to do, you'll never run out of thing to do.
  39. Mar 21, 2020
    Perfect for one player. Coop sucks, but what KILLS the game is that you can essentially only have one player PER SWITCH. Your SO/sibling/kid will have to play on YOUR island on YOUR profile.

I cannot think of a single other home console game with this limitation. Not being able to share this with my family makes it a return.
  40. Mar 20, 2020
    If more than one person plays on a Switch, even with seperate profiles you are forced to share not only the island but all the resources as well. Anyone playing on a file after the first person to create a file is extremely limited as well. It is an absolute nightmare to play with more than one person.
  41. Mar 20, 2020
    Alright, so first things first the game itself is alright, HOWEVER, if you have more than one person in your household only the FOUNDER will be able to enjoy it as supposed to. Not only you can not have multiple islands (not even sure how to react on that in 2020), but also the first player gets all proper interactions, quests etc. If you share a console other players will be limited toAlright, so first things first the game itself is alright, HOWEVER, if you have more than one person in your household only the FOUNDER will be able to enjoy it as supposed to. Not only you can not have multiple islands (not even sure how to react on that in 2020), but also the first player gets all proper interactions, quests etc. If you share a console other players will be limited to the progress of player 1.

But what's worse is a local coop, the second player is basically a slave of the main one without inventory and even being able to proper pick-up stuff (so you have to jump around the main player for usual exchange). Not to mention the second player animation every time it picks sth up from the ground (like "hey I found this") especially annoying when you have those quests like collect 200 sth. Also, the second player is unable to do anything while the first one is in the inventory menu.

Also, small things like not being able to rotate the camera or change the location of the tent are annoying.

IDK to it seems like Nintendo tried to make ppl buy more consols or sth. Disappointed.
  42. Mar 20, 2020
    It's absolutely ridiculous that the 5 members of my family that all share a switch have to only have one island. And on top of that the first person is the boss. You have really let me down Nintendo and hope you get this fixed. Also how is there no cloud save??? Welcome to 2020
  43. Mar 21, 2020
    I like many people and across several platforms, share my switch with my partner. practically Locking the game to one user per console is absolutely disgusting. That's all ther is to say.
  44. Mar 28, 2020
    Updating my review - sharing a single island stinks, and I wish both of us in our house could have an island to place things where we wished, however my previous low review was a bit too harsh. The additional islands make resource sharing easy, so at least both of us can play the game. I really wish Nintendo would push out an update to allow saving 1 island per user account though ...
  45. Mar 22, 2020
    It totally sucks that you can only have one island per switch. My boyfriend tried to make an island of his own.....BUT NO. So now he get to sit beside and just watch me play.
    Do it again and do it right Nintendo.
  46. Mar 21, 2020
    This game is just further proof that Nintendo refuses to understand what people want from an online experience. Only one island, combined with whoever leads gets all the items picked up. Bottom line is if your not leading your not progressing.
  47. Mar 20, 2020
    One island per console ruined the game for me. After my girlfriend set up the island, I realized I'm basically a guest in her island for pretty much anything now. It's not even proper sharing - she's the owner and I'm her guest in the Island.

I'll just let her play the game on her own and I'll play something else instead.
  48. Mar 22, 2020
    First of all I want to admit that yeah, it’s true single console multiplayer options are terrible. The second character gets dumbed down to a sort of follower that can only be in the shadow of the main player. Truth is tho that this feature has been true of New Leaf as well. If you wanted multiple villagers, the second wasn’t mayor and didn’t have as much freedom. So I would say that thisFirst of all I want to admit that yeah, it’s true single console multiplayer options are terrible. The second character gets dumbed down to a sort of follower that can only be in the shadow of the main player. Truth is tho that this feature has been true of New Leaf as well. If you wanted multiple villagers, the second wasn’t mayor and didn’t have as much freedom. So I would say that this isn’t a step back, but rather a lack of step forward from the developers on that front. However I don’t believe that this condemns all the amazing other features and steps forward. All furniture has been remodelled with great details, textures and lighting effects for a game with such a simplistic artistic direction. The museum is sublime, and the hourly music is memorable (for some). Animals now do lots of activities too and feel more alive than ever with witty and varied dialogue. Crafting is simple but well implemented, and it is a pleasure to slowly build the island into the little village the previous games had gotten us used to. I am ready to take off two points for the limitations created for families/friends with one console, though it does not concern me personally, but that does not entirely condemn it for all the wonderful things it has to offer and the great effort that was put into designing the game. It can’t be enjoyed by all, but for those that are planning to play solo, go for it, there is so much to get out of this experience!! Expand
  49. Mar 20, 2020
    A good game, for sure, but only 1 Island. With this limitation, to keep the interest longer, only my wife play.

Half the payer, half the rating. I Hope a change soon
  50. Mar 20, 2020
    The game is broken bugged right out the get go. I started a game,progressed my Island, etc. Later in the day, my wife gets on the family console to play, and is totally confused. The game only allows one person to play it on a console, the other profiles can only get a severely stripped down version of your island. No way to have their own profile. Some fanboys claim this was on purpose,The game is broken bugged right out the get go. I started a game,progressed my Island, etc. Later in the day, my wife gets on the family console to play, and is totally confused. The game only allows one person to play it on a console, the other profiles can only get a severely stripped down version of your island. No way to have their own profile. Some fanboys claim this was on purpose, but I cant imagine Nintendo would make this big of a mistake on purpose. Once this huge bug gets fixed, I'm happy to reevaluate the score, but this is a solid 0/10 for blocking other players from playing beyond the first to start a game on the console. Expand
  51. Mar 20, 2020
    Same-console multiplayer is severely limited. The game was designed so that only one person per family can actually get the full experience. Do NOT buy this game if you want to play with multiple people.
  52. Mar 23, 2020
    For those who are not familiar to the animal crossing franchise, Animal Crossing is a life stimulation game where you take your time to relax and explore your island as well as forming friendship with the villagers while doing outdoor activities such as bug catching and fishing.

As for New Horizons the game is just pleasant to play. The control feels right, there's more events to do, the atmosphere is much more lively and what's more with the addition of terraforming allows players to build new path or destroying the edge of a cliff in their island to how they see fits. Veterans of the animal crossing franchise fans will most likely appreciate all these new addition to the games.

The games does everything right in term of the gameplay but it does have some cons to it as well. Nintendo have set restriction where you only can have one island on a switch which means that you can't have multiple islands on the same console. It also restricted other profile users in your switch to perform activities in the island if you're not the owner of the island. Therefore New Horizon single player aspect is fun and all but if you're looking for a co-op experience this game does really poorly on that aspect.
  53. Mar 25, 2020
    Unplayable for more than one child.
    Set up in such a way that it's pretty much unplayable outside of singleplayer. You have to buy a whole other switch and game if you want peace and quiet out of kids playing. Dirty practise from a company renowned for making family games.
    Unplayable for more than one child.
    Outside of the cash gouging, very little of the game mechanics is explained, especially if you're the second person to jump in and try to play.
    Items are trapped behinds arbitrary walls put in place by Tom nook, in single player, that's frustrating, the resources needed for multiple people to achieve this kinda makes it somewhat miserable to play.
    Sure, it's cute, sure the music is nice, but you can get all of that from the old games

I think the scores of ten are coming from people treating this as a sacred cow...
  54. Mar 20, 2020
    Im Currently 18 hours in, with over 2 months worth of time skips. Game seems worse than its predecessors, Overall its a fun experience, but its limited in ways that i can only believe are to allow more copies to be sold before people can see the lack of content. Im on my 4th house expansion with a town of 6, shop upgraded. And it seems like im at the end of the museum collection. TheIm Currently 18 hours in, with over 2 months worth of time skips. Game seems worse than its predecessors, Overall its a fun experience, but its limited in ways that i can only believe are to allow more copies to be sold before people can see the lack of content. Im on my 4th house expansion with a town of 6, shop upgraded. And it seems like im at the end of the museum collection. The little things that made the previous games feel special are missing, while new mechanics are in place to create a facade of advancement. Tons of things are missing from previous games that have become staples. Removal of the stat system for catches also removes half of the excitement of catching the same stuff over and over since you cant get a New best because size simply no longer exists. Controls could have been improved alot for this game, There are no touch functions despite having alot of use in many areas, such as home design and patterns or basic inventory management. Information is sparse. The game expects you to understand what your doing and why your doing it with zero direction for majority of the game. Honestly if this was any other game it would score much lower and i haven't even gotten into the multiplayer aspect both locally and online. Expand
  55. Mar 24, 2020
    Forced to play on same island as roommate who logs on first everyday.....I get minimal resources, and they get to decide every house and building location. WASTE OF MONEY.
  56. Mar 20, 2020
    my girls were so excited to get this game. I read nothing about because it doesn't interest me. Once they started playing it they realised that there was only one island per switch, and my god, do they hate that!!! My girls are years apart and what appeals to one doesnt appeal to the other.

This limitation feels arbitrary and ill thought out.

I hope a patch fixes this
  57. Mar 20, 2020
    It's immensely disappointing to purchase the game and learn that there is very little value for a family. Whereas I can share my other games with my children, the fact that only one of us can make true progress in the game is a letdown and just another example of Nintendo being completely tone deaf and out of touch.

Beyond this, though, the fact that few reviewers discuss this fact is

Beyond this, though, the fact that few reviewers discuss this fact is abhorrent. The game simply does not deserve the praise it is receiving from the media in the face of such a glaring misstep, highlighting their own massive blind spots.

At this point, while an okay but slow game, in the face of its price and the limitations its value drops far below far more mediocre games that are at least enjoyable more broadly.
  58. Mar 21, 2020
    i'll update my review as I play. but mannnn this game is boring.
    2 hours into the game and I got a house... that's all I feel like I accomplished. Games are supposed to bring some short of enjoyment, whether it be story, graphics or gameplay... This has none of that so far.... Just kill me now please.......
  59. Mar 20, 2020
    An awesome Animal Crossing Experience. Being able to build out your island the way you like is an awesome feature. It's almost like having a crossover episode between Minecraft and Animal Crossing.

The only negative is the one Island per console. If we could have even one per User I would have given this game a higher score.
  60. May 7, 2021
    The game is visually alright. However, it is quite horrible compared to other Animal Crossing games. Not only this, but the fact that it is marketed as relaxing throws me off. Animal Crossing is supposed to be fun, not relaxing. A very terrible title, and have got my refund two weeks ago.
  61. May 7, 2021
    Don't trust the critics, they are false. I've seen critics with lower ratings than a 70. Overall, the game is disappointing and lacking. False advertising, updates are lackluster, and the game is unplayable. It's buggy as well. Some sprites wouldn't load until 30 seconds later. 0/10.
  62. May 8, 2021
    The game is horrible. Plain horrible. First of all, it included no manual! How am I supposed to figure out what to do without a manual? Overall, music is boring and repetitive. Only one song! Dialogue can be repetitive. Only two villagers! Uncalled for Crafting and DIY and Phone! I gave it a try, it had a 90 Metascore, and most of the user reviews complained by more than one island, whichThe game is horrible. Plain horrible. First of all, it included no manual! How am I supposed to figure out what to do without a manual? Overall, music is boring and repetitive. Only one song! Dialogue can be repetitive. Only two villagers! Uncalled for Crafting and DIY and Phone! I gave it a try, it had a 90 Metascore, and most of the user reviews complained by more than one island, which is stupid, but I didn’t care. Wrong! IT WAS RIGGED! The day after I ranted the max out of this game, I saw a review with a critic score of 5/10! The lowest here was a 7/10! Metacritic is rigged, and I do not trust them! DO NOT TRUST THEM! DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! I haven’t played previous AC games, I may give New Leaf or the GameCube one a try sometime in the future. They look, at least visually and gameplay-wise, a lot better. They seemed to have more content. After looking at recent reviews, I decided to do the same and refund my game. I suggest you do too! I don’t know about previous games, but I’ll give it a shot. A lot of people are suggesting it, so what the heck. Why not. They are considered superior versions, so be it. I’ll give them a wild shot. But for this game? 0/10. I can’t give it any higher. I suggest you do the same. Expand
  63. May 8, 2021
    Just because it’s new, doesn’t mean it’s good. I believe I have said enough.
  64. May 5, 2020
    I was very excited for this game and when I got it I was hooked. But that feeling only lasted a few weeks and after that I put down the game and didn't pick it back up. Enjoyed it but thought the wonderful experience would last longer. Eventually you'll get bored.
  65. May 1, 2021
    Let me first start off saying I'm a huge AC fan. With that being said, wtf happen nintendo? It's been past a year now and their updates are pure garbage in comparison to what New Leaf provided. The characters don't have any life to them, if you have more than one personality type prepare to read the same dialogue again and again. This is unavoidable dude to you being allowed 10 villagersLet me first start off saying I'm a huge AC fan. With that being said, wtf happen nintendo? It's been past a year now and their updates are pure garbage in comparison to what New Leaf provided. The characters don't have any life to them, if you have more than one personality type prepare to read the same dialogue again and again. This is unavoidable dude to you being allowed 10 villagers max and there being only 8 personality types in the game. I'm really frustrated and confused as to why I'm paying for Nintendo online membership to utilize the games island backup service but if I ever wanna restore my island save I need to contact Nintendo support and have them hold my hand though the process. Long story short get the game play for a year or buy new leaf and have fun. Expand
  66. May 3, 2021
    Bought this game to relax and feel free.
    Bad choice. All the game you are in debt and tom nook take all the credit for the work you do.
    VERY basic and repetitive.
    The character will tell their intro lines EVERYTIME you talk to them. Grindy AF
  67. May 9, 2021
    Alright game I guess, but it’s very lacking. I can’t give it a good rating due to the lack of content we get in updates. We got Rover on a cliff now. Rover used to be more memorable in the OG (Original GCN) game than a May Day Event. I am disappointed in this game. I didn’t give it a 0, because the storyline was good and should have continued. They could’ve made New Horizons a side-storyAlright game I guess, but it’s very lacking. I can’t give it a good rating due to the lack of content we get in updates. We got Rover on a cliff now. Rover used to be more memorable in the OG (Original GCN) game than a May Day Event. I am disappointed in this game. I didn’t give it a 0, because the storyline was good and should have continued. They could’ve made New Horizons a side-story game if it weren’t for three things. The NookPhone (and the whole “modernization” thing) and the sequel references, (because it would take place before them) and the most important thing: MORE STORYLINE! I know Animal Crossing isn’t supposed to be a story mode game, but New Horizons feels like it’s supposed to be that way. Expand
  68. Aug 24, 2020
    Initially, I could not put down this game. I spent two weeks after getting a "4-star" island rating trying to raise it to 5 but... I hate it now. I hate the way my island looks and feels. I look to other player's 5-star islands and it is not my jam. I've ruined so much of the natural beauty of my secluded island to please Isabelle, but she's never satisfied. Can't even start a fresh islandInitially, I could not put down this game. I spent two weeks after getting a "4-star" island rating trying to raise it to 5 but... I hate it now. I hate the way my island looks and feels. I look to other player's 5-star islands and it is not my jam. I've ruined so much of the natural beauty of my secluded island to please Isabelle, but she's never satisfied. Can't even start a fresh island without deleting all my progress. Do I really want to back to a time when I only had one outfit? Expand
  69. Aug 29, 2020
    It's a good game with beautiful graphics but it gets quite boring after some time and it just doesn't grip me as New Leaf did.
  70. Apr 24, 2021
    I'm so torn on this game. It's fun for a while, but you can't stop playing or you're punished. The menus are so long and tedious. Only the first player can do certain stuff on your island. You can only have one island. The game has missing content from New Leaf that is slowly added back.

I was going to give this a 5 at first, but I'm just now realizing how much this game hates it's players. 4 it is.
  71. May 10, 2021
    New Horizons is disappointing, and lacks the content we were promised to get. It deserves nothing more than a 0/10.
  72. XV_
    Apr 18, 2020
    Once again I was allured to Animal Crossing more than ever, it was fun, it was great, but soon, slowly but truly its charm disappeared a fair amount.

I'm not a fan of review bombing, but I'm surely counting negative aspects that a lot of people are complaining about, if not for them, this review will be easily a 9 or so, but as it is, I believe a 7 is a fair score, without further ado my thoughts are as follows:

Starting with the positive things, NH is as ever an incredible time if you're up to the task of giving your heart to it, long gone are those days when you could only customize your house, now the full island has customization, and almost every furniture or item is placeable wherever you want, and it gives a lot of freedom and customization. As it was in New Leaf where you could make public structures, like arches or statues, now they're just items like it should have from a long time ago. Another good addition is its new point system called 'Nook Miles' in which you have to meet certain requirements like achievements and you'll be rewarded with miles, this system comes as unique achievements and a daily wheel of minor achievements that can be done over and over, in contrast with past entries where at a certain point you simply turn off the game because you didn't have more things to do for that day, these miles can be exchanged for several things like furniture, clothes or unique DIY recipes, this new mechanic in form of DIY is easily one of the most enjoyable things in NH, they come as gifts from villagers, message bottles, rewards, etc, the fun part is that you need certain items to make them, so a lot of your time will be invested in acquiring items to make your recipes, pure joy.

By far, the best thing that NH has to offer is terraforming, although it has its limitations, it's easily the most entertaining addition: do you want to make your island like a crater? maybe a fortress? or how about a city? the limit is your determination and creativity (and maybe at times money), but it surely is the thing that a lot of veterans were waiting, think of it as a Minecraft ripoff, but with Animal Crossing makeover.

As for the negatives, there are a lot of issues that can be resumed into 4 main problems, at least to me, they weren't a problem at first but everything went a little downhill once you notice them. First and the most common issue for everyone is the one island per switch, when the official trailer launched and stated that this game will be multiplayer with a common island I was really into, I and my partner were daydreaming about the things and possibilities of playing co-op, turns out that the local multiplayer is more a gimmick and the second player is basically a background PC, although the biggest issue is that the only the 1st resident can advance through the "main quest" so good luck if your 1st resident is not as active as you. The second issue is its online mode, if you're playing with one friend is just serviceable, but if you're going to play with two or more persons (friends or internet people) you'll notice that every single time a person arrives or leaves your island, every player that is in the island have to watch an unskippable (quite long) cutscene, not only that, for some unthinkable reason, you can't navigate through menus or inventory in that particular moment, otherwise, the cutscene will be delayed. this is a serious problem particularly if you're planning to play this with several friends or if you're into the stalk market, prepare to loose 15-20 min per arrival.

My third issue is more a quality of life issue, you see, Animal Crossing have ever being a game about of time, you have to wait a lot in order to have the best of it, but, at this point, selling, buying and navigating through menus is quite a burden, not only that, there are too many nitpicks to list in here, but, certainly it seems more like the game is keeping you away from having fun, is not like there aren't a lot of things to do, so it feels more like cheap padding than anything.

The last issue and the one that I hate the most and it seems that no one is talking about, is its "free updates", when the first official trailer launched with its terraforming promises, it also mentioned something that bothered me a lot, the fact its main events will arrive as free updates as if they need to be charged or something, in past entries these seasonal events wherein the main game, so it feels way too worrisome that now they're extra, if this game was a MMO or online specific, I wouldn't mind but, it's more like I paid full price for a game that is not finished, so if you're like me and want to play this game in some years, good luck finding those "free updates".

If you took your time to read this whole thing, I appreciate it a lot, even if you agree or not, I like this game a lot and have played 100 hours to this point but, is important to address its issues.
  73. Apr 28, 2020
    I really like this game, but I think there is a lot of room for improvement I have played just about all of the AC titles at this point and this in my opinion is the second best (New Leaf first).
    -There is a big lack of variety in dialogue with the villagers in the sense talking to them more than 2x per day gets them all mad and complain that the island is not big enough for the two of you.
    -Not enough buildings. As of right now there are only 2 shops and all other NPC's only visit once in awhile on unpredictable schedules.
    -What is the point of Isabelle announcements at the start of each day if she's not going to tell me when I have visitors like Sahara or Celeste just to name a few. I have defintely missed days with them on my island simply because I did not know they were here.
    -Rugs sold from Sahara cannot be placed outdoors, why bother buying these if they can only be placed in my house when they would go PERFECTLY with the furniture I set up outside? Big opportunity missed there...
    -Buying clothing from the Able Sisters shop is so time consuming, especially if I'm visiting someone else's island in the sense that I can only purchase one type of clothing at a time (ex buying the same shirt in multiple colors, I have to enter and exit the changing room several times). If there are other people waiting to use the single changing room available, it really slows everyone down.
    -The crafting / DIY setup is really great, but I'd like to be able to craft multiple items at a time and have my in home work bench connect to what's in storage in home. Having all the materials in my pockets and trying to craft just takes up too much space (even with fully expanded inventory).

This seems like a long list of complaints, but the good really does outweigh the bad!
  74. Jan 14, 2021
    This empty, life-less husk of a game is an insult to the name Animal Crossing. Out of hundreds of NPCs with rich, vibrant (and seemingly unending) dialogue, New Horizons gives us a handful who say something different a grand total of one time a day. How anyone who was a real animal crossing fan did not immediately storm this developer’s headquarters and spit on their placard is beyond myThis empty, life-less husk of a game is an insult to the name Animal Crossing. Out of hundreds of NPCs with rich, vibrant (and seemingly unending) dialogue, New Horizons gives us a handful who say something different a grand total of one time a day. How anyone who was a real animal crossing fan did not immediately storm this developer’s headquarters and spit on their placard is beyond my understanding. Go look at your town. It’s very pretty, fancy, and oh-so- Minecraft???? Customization is great but these NPCs (a large part of what made the older games so fun) have no soul. I’m sure marketing made a great pitch for online play and yadda-yadda but how no one brought up the fact that this game is primarily going to pique the attention of a niche audience who has been waiting for years and who did not go ga-ga for online play (mostly because it largely didn’t exist on this platform) is also baffling. I hope that future updates will fix this glaring issue but fear that even the most honed necromancy will not have the juice to bring our islands to life. Expand
  75. Apr 26, 2021
    The customization is aight, but Nintendo needs to be held accountable for **** practices in this game. Less content than New Leaf, one island per Switch, and everything is so bland and dull after playing for a little bit
  76. Apr 29, 2021
    Animal Crossing in name and villagers only. This game is missing so much and is so incomplete. They sold it under the promise that there would be meaningful updates which they have failed to deliver on. The only content updates were parts of the game that were not quite complete when the game released such as diving or the museum/ artwork, but it was obvious they were supposed to be inAnimal Crossing in name and villagers only. This game is missing so much and is so incomplete. They sold it under the promise that there would be meaningful updates which they have failed to deliver on. The only content updates were parts of the game that were not quite complete when the game released such as diving or the museum/ artwork, but it was obvious they were supposed to be in the game as people could glitch into the water to swim and the spot for Redd to show up was already there. What the hell did they do with the extra six months they took after the first release date before actually releasing? Meanwhile they add a few clothing/ furniture items every month and boldly call it a "free update". Where's the coffee shop, shampoodle, fortune teller, GYROIDS FFS, store upgrades, shoe shop, gracies, mini games, etc etc etc. If it wasn't severely time gated then the main story would have been done in a day if that. What a rip off and blatant lie to their promise. The only reason I gave it a 2 was I did enjoy what little of the game there was. New Leaf was 10x the game. Pretty typical of Nintendo and their over-glorified mobile tablet now. Expand
  77. Apr 30, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I bought this game as a joint venture for me and and son, as it's been raved for its help against mental illness. My son turns out not to be interested in the game. He would sooner play Minecraft but he has start the world and is the king user.

Myself and my wife are player two and three.. effectively visitors on our sons island. We can't progress in the game. Can't move forward with the story or anything it's like we're on a limited trial version of the game.. The only way round this apparently is to buy a second or third switch! Which frankly is completely unacceptable! Nintendo and the animal crossing team need to fix this asap.
  78. May 10, 2021
    I'm just not getting all of the hype with this game. I'm REALLY disappointed with this game. I expected to find some type of cool island with buildings and structures, as shown in commercials, but there's nothing there. It's misleading. I was told to play previous games. So, you what I did? I replaced the game. I said I wanted the 3DS version instead. They gave me the 3DS version and $30I'm just not getting all of the hype with this game. I'm REALLY disappointed with this game. I expected to find some type of cool island with buildings and structures, as shown in commercials, but there's nothing there. It's misleading. I was told to play previous games. So, you what I did? I replaced the game. I said I wanted the 3DS version instead. They gave me the 3DS version and $30 credit. (since it cost only $30) I had a New Nintendo 2DS XL for games like Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3DS (The 3D one, I have the 2D one, too), Miitopia, and Tomodachi Life. I like the Tomodachi Life game, and it was similar, so what the heck, I gave Animal Crossing 3DS a try. I do not regret it, and find it to be the BEST decision I ever made. They had BUILDINGS! It had LIFE! I enjoyed 3DS, 10 TIMES BETTER, in the FIRST DAY, than Animal Crossing Switch ever did, in THREE DAYS! I may do a review on Animal Crossing 3DS in the future, but it's too early to decide yet. Heck, many critics reviewed the game too early! Why count any of the critics before the release date? I would give Animal Crossing Switch a 1, but I can't. I did not have any fun, except for the airport thing, which the train thing was a huge improvement over the Switch version, so I can't even give it a 1. I will give it a 4/100 (0.4/10), because it was playable, at the beginning. Expand
  79. Sep 12, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Look, this is a very cute and diverting game. I got it when it came out even though I had never played another AC game before, though I have put many hours into Stardew Valley so I thought it would be a good fit. Then the pandemic came and I got into it especially at the beginning. Didn't even time travel until late May or so. I've bred all the varieties of flowers, collected all the fossils in the museum and just finished getting all the artwork too (I'm not some sucker that's going to not TT and wait 3 frigging years of real life to get all the art), terraformed my island several times over, so it's not like I don't appreciate what is in the game. The problem is the seeming hatred Nintendo's programmers have for the players of this game. Talking to Gulliver or Gullivarr, you literally have to hit the A button almost 20 times to get through the dialogues to get your task from them. This is similar for interactions with EVERY NPC that isn't an island villager. Why does Kicks even come to islands? He never sells anything worth having and that's just one more day until you can get some useful like Redd on the island. Crafting DIYs is a pain. I gave up crafing bait probably back in July, once I had caught all the fish available to that point. IF I ever pick up the game again (and it's less likely every day), I will never craft bait again OR terraform again. Terraforming is one island pixel/cell at a time. Like everything in this game, it is beyond tedious. This isn't so much a game as a part-time job and about as enjoyable after the shine wears off. I'm to the point where I cringe every time I hear the Isabelle music when starting up the game, then close my eyes and hit the A button until she's done saying nothing... again.

Back to the villagers... so boring. It's like you're supposed to talk to them every day, but when you do 9 times out of 10 they say the EXACT same thing they said yesterday. Reading online about how the villagers have been dumbed down and made nicer since the earlier games makes it seem like a really poor choice. When you get to the late game - having plenty of bells in your account and upgrading the house and shops to the max, and having the villagers you want - there's NO reason to go to other islands with Nook Miles Tickets. I now have about 150,000 NMs and NOTHING to spend them on. And I have a few achievements left to earn more but they are grindy AF and it would take me another 100 or 200 hours to get them (I'm ashamed to say I've played this over 500 hours, but I blame that on the pandemic). Not interested.

To sum up: It's a pretty game with no soul and in the end, will bore the cr*p out of you.
  80. Oct 13, 2020
    This opinion on the game is without including the new updates!

I hated this game for one reason: It absolutely wastes your time in every aspect of the game. Why can't I craft multiple items of one type at once? Why is the inventory so limited from the start? Why are there always so many clicks you have to do for everything? Also, Nintendo. Why can't I cloud save this game? I would
    This opinion on the game is without including the new updates!

Why can't I craft multiple items of one type at once?
    Why is the inventory so limited from the start?
    Why are there always so many clicks you have to do for everything?
    Also, Nintendo. Why can't I cloud save this game? I would like to uninstall it and come back to it later once there are quality of life updates, but I still have to have the icon on my switch no matter what? That just seems wrong.

Verdict: This game would be great with enough quality of life updates. As it stands tho it's a giant waste of time.

Rating:
    Gameplay: 1/5 - Time wasting
    Level Design: 4/5 - Great looking islands with nice exploration.
    Soundtrack: 5/5 - Fantastic
    Story: 2/5 - Everything this game needs, but nothing special
    Graphics: 5/5 - Beautiful.
    Length: 5/5 - As long as you want to. Played it for 30 hours and was still on the start of the game.
    Replay Value: 2/5 - There's no real reason to start over again since you'll repeat everything just with other characters on your island.
    Enjoyment: 1/5 - It just got frustrating the more I played.

Overall rating: 25/40 => 6.25/10 => 6/10
  81. Nov 27, 2020
    Lacking in content, frustrating menus, boring and bland villager dialogue, updates that add cut content from older games so it really isn’t new stuff
  82. Feb 2, 2021
    RIPOFF! $60. for a one-person game. Can't even buy and use another. No idea my wife wouldn't get her own experience crafting and controlling development. My gosh, you can have multiple users in Breath of the Wild which is magnitudes more complex. This is easily solvable and simply unforgivable.
  83. Feb 7, 2021
    One of my favorite animal crossing games! This is one of the best Nintendo switch games from 2020
  84. Feb 18, 2021
    I love animal crossing New Horizons so many gameplay features that keeps you engaged for hours on end, the charms and the cuteness of the animals is so heart-warming. After completing the storyline there is sadly little to do but still well worth the experience. Alas 8/10 a great addition to the animal crossing series.
  85. Feb 18, 2021
    I bought this game so my girlfriend and I could enjoy some quality, relaxing time under the covers together and play some video games. The idea of creating our own island sounded amazing! But the way couch coop is implemented is utterly terrible.
  86. Feb 25, 2021
    This is a great game for all the people who think the one island thing is dumb. It's been this way for a while.
  87. Mar 23, 2021
    One year later, I still find this game a disappointment compared to its previous games in the series. Characters are boring, the island is boring without stores or any tasks. Crafting tools is tedious. Too much emphasis on customization without backing it up with all the features that usually make this series worthwhile. It hurts to rate this a 4 but with limited updates for holidays thatOne year later, I still find this game a disappointment compared to its previous games in the series. Characters are boring, the island is boring without stores or any tasks. Crafting tools is tedious. Too much emphasis on customization without backing it up with all the features that usually make this series worthwhile. It hurts to rate this a 4 but with limited updates for holidays that should have been in the game since release. It just feels like this game was never finished. Waited a year in hopes things would get better but it doesn't seem like it is. Expand
  88. Mar 26, 2021
    This game and what is behind it is honestly appalling. Of course there's the one-island-per-console thing, which is terrible, but the game itself is just not what the Animal Crossing series is supposed to represent. The villagers have been completely sidelined and now do nothing to contribute to the game, repeating the same happy-go-lucky lines over and over. What happened to the sass? TheThis game and what is behind it is honestly appalling. Of course there's the one-island-per-console thing, which is terrible, but the game itself is just not what the Animal Crossing series is supposed to represent. The villagers have been completely sidelined and now do nothing to contribute to the game, repeating the same happy-go-lucky lines over and over. What happened to the sass? The gossip? And what happened to being part of a community? Now the main focus is showing off your island, but the game can't even do that right because of the horrible quality of life, such as the aforementioned island limitation as well as every minute task taking forever to do. Post-launch support has been revolting, and a year later this game still lacks most of the content of the previous titles. The developers refuse to listen to any gripes players may have, and do the bare minimum to constitute the game being $60, because they don't have to care because of how well this game sold. If you like the Animal Crossing series please DO NOT CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THIS GAME. Expand
  89. Mar 28, 2021
    No cooking/eating in a game like this? Horrendous. Animal Crossing: New Horizons sports a disappointing amount of content, absolutely unrepresentative of its steep price tag. Don't get me started with that one island per console and severe limitations on other users hogwash. I've never seen save files handled on any game as badly as this; not to mention this is a first-party title on aNo cooking/eating in a game like this? Horrendous. Animal Crossing: New Horizons sports a disappointing amount of content, absolutely unrepresentative of its steep price tag. Don't get me started with that one island per console and severe limitations on other users hogwash. I've never seen save files handled on any game as badly as this; not to mention this is a first-party title on a console, which makes it even worse. Expand
  90. Apr 6, 2021
    this game SUCKS the whole game to me is boring im so bored when i play i try to get far but i cant without being bored I love new leaf and i was dissapointed when i played new horizons and i was glad to see that i can place stuff outside but the stuff is to expensive i cant get bells fast enough i don't see enough rare bugs and fish so i cant get enough then they added swimming but thatthis game SUCKS the whole game to me is boring im so bored when i play i try to get far but i cant without being bored I love new leaf and i was dissapointed when i played new horizons and i was glad to see that i can place stuff outside but the stuff is to expensive i cant get bells fast enough i don't see enough rare bugs and fish so i cant get enough then they added swimming but that boring i want to decorate that is my favorite thing to do but its to expensive as i said also crafting is useless like i never use it its also so annoying how it requires some stuff that is sometimes like 20 gold nuggets and sometimes like 5 stone i just hate the game Expand
  91. Apr 12, 2021
    So I was play enjoying the game but I didn't mean to time travel and now I can't go back to my original file and I don't want to retry the game because I like my villagers and I was wondering if their should be a save file where when you can go back to a old save as in you make a save and a few months of you playing you can go back to that first save but you can't go to your future island?
  92. Apr 25, 2021
    This game is absolute garbage I can't believe Nintendo of all people somehow messed up animal crossing it takes too long and the controls are like playing Call Of Duty with the resident evil tank controls. Nintendo should look up to Bubsy 3D which has controls that are silky smooth and a story that makes more sense than the kingdom hearts games
  93. May 10, 2021
    The most abysmal game of the Nintendo Switch, if not, all of Nintendo's game consoles... ever. Abysmal is just one of the thousand words I have to say of this game. It is subpar, it sucks, it is unbelievable. I believe it's the worst game ever created in the history of mankind. This may sound extremely harsh, but to me, it is just 1% of what I feel about this game. This game is remotelyThe most abysmal game of the Nintendo Switch, if not, all of Nintendo's game consoles... ever. Abysmal is just one of the thousand words I have to say of this game. It is subpar, it sucks, it is unbelievable. I believe it's the worst game ever created in the history of mankind. This may sound extremely harsh, but to me, it is just 1% of what I feel about this game. This game is remotely awful. Plastic graphics that look more flat than a line, repetitive guitar music that sounds like it came from a cheap royalty-free music selection, repeating villager dialogue that just feels like they are on loop, and it never ends. I can't believe how atrocious this horrible game is. I cannot even express my anger to this insane game. If I were to continue, I'd start a whole rant here, so I'm just going to stop here. 0/100. Not even a single decimal I can give it. It is dreadful, and I cannot take the anger any longer. In my book, this game is unspeakable. Horrendous. Again, I'm just going to stop here. I cannot talk about this game any further. Expand
  94. Mar 25, 2020
    Yes the decision to allow only one island per switch is silly, but that does not mean the game is an automatic 0. Animal Crossing was always like this anyway. The game starts a bit slow, but there is still plenty to do thanks to the new feature of nook miles.The game has plenty of content and features new to the series, but but none feel out of place in the world of Animal Crossing. AnimalYes the decision to allow only one island per switch is silly, but that does not mean the game is an automatic 0. Animal Crossing was always like this anyway. The game starts a bit slow, but there is still plenty to do thanks to the new feature of nook miles.The game has plenty of content and features new to the series, but but none feel out of place in the world of Animal Crossing. Animal Crossing New Horizons is something that both longtime fans and newcomers to the series can enjoy. Expand
  95. Mar 29, 2020
    This game is absolutely incredible! As a long-time fan of animal crossing, I have played every game since the GameCube. It is incredible to see how far the series has come! The graphics themselves have truly made the game franchise and villagers come to life! No detail left unnoticed, from the way the rain drops on the water to the way the wind sways in the trees. This game is truly aThis game is absolutely incredible! As a long-time fan of animal crossing, I have played every game since the GameCube. It is incredible to see how far the series has come! The graphics themselves have truly made the game franchise and villagers come to life! No detail left unnoticed, from the way the rain drops on the water to the way the wind sways in the trees. This game is truly a beautiful escape during such an unfortunate time in history. Even my husband who hasn’t been interested in previous games is hooked to this one. The crafting is addictive, and “Nook miles” objectives keep you playing for hours on end. This game is truly a masterpiece and I can tell there was a LOT of time spent on this game by the developers! Even the dialogue is simply fantastic. I haven’t seen such awesome dialog since the GameCube says. To all of those upset about the “one island per switch”, that is how every game has been except for the GameCube (one town per memory card). I don’t think it warrants a negative review whatsoever because it’s not a feature that has been taken away recently from the series. If that’s the case, where are the negative reviews for new leaf, city folk, and wild world?? My only small beef with the game (and why it’s 9/10) is that it is missing a large handful characters from previous games. Reese, Cyrus, Cappin’, Rover, Pelly, Porter, etc. are no where to be seen. If you are a long time fan of the series, you will definitely feel their lack of presence. There are new characters enrolled to fill the spots of some characters yet to make an appearance. However, hopefully with future updates they will return for an event or possibly dlc! Expand
  96. Mar 28, 2020
    I don't have someone else to play with me so I doesn't care for that problem... it's a great game I just miss the soundtracks of New Leaf.

I think it's a great idea to only have 1 Island, but an update that all new Players have the same opportunities as the first Player would be nice and you can play the game together as Family if your playing Co-Op... so if you can't play Co-Op TOGETHER

and you can play the game together as Family if your playing Co-Op... so if you can't play Co-Op TOGETHER then it's not even "playing together as family" then go buy your own Switch please...

the same problem was at the 3DS Version but nobody was crying why is everybody crying now?
  97. Mar 29, 2020
    I haven’t played animal crossing since the game cube and all I remember was shaking trees, getting stung by bees and making my 10 year old dream house. The formula has changed surprisingly little but I have put in over 30 hours in just a week so you could say I’m addicted. I love the crafting and fishing. When I boot up the game I never have a plan but end up playing for hours. It sucksI haven’t played animal crossing since the game cube and all I remember was shaking trees, getting stung by bees and making my 10 year old dream house. The formula has changed surprisingly little but I have put in over 30 hours in just a week so you could say I’m addicted. I love the crafting and fishing. When I boot up the game I never have a plan but end up playing for hours. It sucks that you can’t have more than one island per console but my wife is fine to play a little here and there while I take main control so it doesn’t affect us as much but I do feel sorry for those players who want to have two islands on one console. I’ve really liked this game and would recommend it to anyone with a switch. For me, breath of the wild and Mario Odyssey are a perfect 10, smash is a 9, then I’d put Mario kart, Mario maker and Animal Crossing new horizon as an 8. Just as a point of reference, ya know? Expand
  98. Mar 30, 2020
    Excellent job nintendo.I cant stop playing. I cant go outside.I am enjoying the game more than real life lol.
  99. Mar 30, 2020
    Animal Crossing: New Horizons is the best video game in the series in terms of content and features. Something that I love in this game as always in the franchise, is the closeness it has with reality, now more than ever. Time, season (now even choosing in which hemisphere you can place your island) and weather equal to your city's. It also highlights how alive the game is, with dialoguesAnimal Crossing: New Horizons is the best video game in the series in terms of content and features. Something that I love in this game as always in the franchise, is the closeness it has with reality, now more than ever. Time, season (now even choosing in which hemisphere you can place your island) and weather equal to your city's. It also highlights how alive the game is, with dialogues from the neighbors that change continuously (not counting those of the main characters, which are very repetitive) and situations between them, that can make you feel as if you were really inside. Many people are annoyed that there is only one island per console, but not me personally, and that is one of the many characteristics that make the Animal Crossing saga unique. The union and trust between the players who live together in the same space. Despite this, I have to admit that multiplayer on the same console is somewhat messy, since it does not allow the second player to join the game directly and it has to go through a somewhat slow process. In addition to the fact that in order for him to do any minimum action, the first player must change his position as leader, and although it is a simple and fast process, it tires having to do it many times. Still, the control of the character and interface in singleplayer mode is not bad, because I really liked the idea of using a phone as a menu to navigate between the different options. Online mode is better than I expected and is an example of how multiplayer should be on the same console, although the transition between when the visitor arrives on the island and when he leaves can be repetitive when you connect many times with friends, but it is still pretty (somewhat long). As a conclusion, I can affirm that each new day on the island feels fresh and eager to start, although progress can feel slow but satisfactory. The new playable crafting and construction features can appeal to both veteran and new players alike, and graphically as well as musically it is very, very good. I am enjoying and having fun with this game and I hope to finish it completely because I liked it a lot, and it is not that it has exceeded my expectations because it was just what I expected but I do not regret buying it at all, it is highly recommended and I assure that those who play it will like it a lot. Expand

Universal acclaim - based on 111 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 19, 2020
    Animal Crossing New Horizons is basically perfect. Full of wholesome content that helped us cope with the COVID-19 pandemics, the game keeps the heart of its predecessors while innovating enough to make it unique. It may not have won Game of the Year but it'll be the game we all remember from 2020, for sure.
  2. Jun 22, 2020
    Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a stunning new instalment in the Animal Crossing franchise, hindered only by its lack of immediate content, quality of life issues and missing returning characters and features While future updates will give the game long-term playability, for those already sipping vacation juice on their five-star islands, island life feels pretty mundane right now.
  3. CD-Action
    May 12, 2020
    It’s full of detail, pretty small things, and surprisingly well working simulations and systems – everything polished in such a way that the player really does care about everything that’s going on. [06/2020, p.40]