7.8

1. Jul 24, 2020
    Carrion review

Carrion review

Ever wanted to be a monster and strike fear into the hearts of unfortunate human scientists? What about ripping and tearing through an unbelievably large research facility leaving a bloodbath in your wake? Well here is your chance. Carrion is a beautiful pixelated metroidvania gem where you control a ravenous grotesque Eldritch abomination and kill your way to freedom. The developers call this a reverse horror game and I can definitely see why. The atmosphere, sound design, and soundtrack are all deeply rooted in horror. Scientists scream, panic, and run away at the site of you, praying they don't end up your meal. Too bad for them. Not everyone is afraid of you. Some will try to kill you with fire arms including flamethrowers as well as drones and even mechs. They put up a bit of a challenge but the game still leans on the easy side for the most part. The monster you control earns different abilities as you'd expect from a metroidvania style game. Some abilities include shields, a bash attack and a few others that I won't spoil. You really do feel like a killing machine in this game and the abilities are fun to use. Now I've mentioned most of the pros but as you'd expect from any game there are some issues. One of my biggest complaints is the fact that there is no map to rely on. You basically have to rely on your memory and even that can get you lost. The game doesn't give you any direction where to go at all so getting lost and going in circles is common. The length of the game is rather short as well it took me about 6 hours or so to complete and that is counting doing all the optional puzzles to get all the abilities. The controls are a tad bit too sensitive but nothing too bad. The creature moves incredibly fast and it's easy to go to the wrong part of the area but it wasn't a big issue. Replay value is pretty low since there is no new game plus or bonus features to unlock ( unless you care about playing the demo) or getting the optional abilities. Overall I really enjoyed the game. It's not perfect but it's not trying to be. It's a fun, gory at times unsettling game we rarely see. I hope developer phobia game studio make this a franchise or make more reverse horror games in the future. This unique title was a blast and I'd love to see more reverse horror style games like this.

Pros: +You really feel like a monster
    +beautiful pixelated Graphics
    +Overall solid, fun metroidvania gameplay
    +Sound design and soundtrack

Cons:

-no map or clear direction where to go
    -relatively short with low replayability

8.5/10
  2. Aug 4, 2020
    Could be a better game and 8 for me if there would be a map, but it is what it is. I couldn't finish it without walkthrough in the begining and at the end. And both times i was exploring every hole on level without luck for 30 minutes. And useless rawr button only annoyed me and gave me frustration. But upgrade and skill system was fun and overall it was fun and new expirience.
  3. Jul 24, 2020
    Pretty fun game! I don't know what I was expecting, but like a lot of other people I was interested at the premise. The game clearly is optimized for PC, it isn't as noticable in games like Gungeon. Regardless, the puzzles are intriguing & not always obvious. I don't like too much difficulty in puzzle sections of games that aren't exclusively just puzzle games. I find myself wishing onPretty fun game! I don't know what I was expecting, but like a lot of other people I was interested at the premise. The game clearly is optimized for PC, it isn't as noticable in games like Gungeon. Regardless, the puzzles are intriguing & not always obvious. I don't like too much difficulty in puzzle sections of games that aren't exclusively just puzzle games. I find myself wishing on occasion that the AI & controls for the humans were a little bit better. Other than that, the monster controls are easy to grasp & almost cartoon levels of fluid. I haven't finished it yet but I don't regret getting this at all! I look forward to playing multiple times to make sure I get everything, plus it looks much more cool playing without the HUD. Expand
  4. Aug 8, 2020
    Cool premise, greath pixel art, smooth fps and gameplay, decent level design. So what's the problem?

The problem is that the game should be a metroidvania, which requires you to explore, progress, puzzle solve, and figure out optimal ways to clear rooms. The reality is that it's a 3 hour linear game with no decisions on the part of the player and so **** easy that it basically plays

The reality is that it's a 3 hour linear game with no decisions on the part of the player and so **** easy that it basically plays itself. The "puzzles" are an illusion of puzzle and really just nothing more than lock and key gameplay. It's an average linear romp that amounts to nothing, packaged to look like there's more going on than there actually is. I bought this, with the expectation of a metroidvania.

I wouldn't recommend this game for more than 5 bucks. Had they designed it to be more open and labyrinthine, I would recommend it. But it's not. waste of time and money. Lots of promise here, but the game doesn't hold up.

I've seen people complain that it doesn't have a map, but it doesn't need one, that's how small and limited it is. There is always a path forward, and it's always the only direction to go.
  5. Jul 28, 2020
    Good port of carrion that you can play on the go, or the toilet if that's what you prefer
  6. Jul 29, 2020
    Extremely fun game, with intuitive controls and rewarding moment to moment gameplay. Overall Carrion is very polished and gorgeous to look at too. The ending was incredible also.
  7. Jul 27, 2020
    You wake up, perhaps as a test subject, trapped in an alien prison.

You wake up, perhaps as a test subject, trapped in an alien prison.

A few fierce blows and your container breaks, setting you free in this fearsome environment. Or were you trapped for a good reason? You fling some foes around, and using your ferocious fangs you feast on their remains, and grow, getting more powerful, but also having its downsides. Taking damage makes you shrink. Before long, you find other containers like yours, and merge with the DNA found inside, evolving, and learning new skills, tied to a certain size range. You'll soon learn how and when to make the most of the advantages and disadvantages of being small, medium, or large, and how and where to leave behind unwanted body mass, or pick it back up.

But as you adapt to and infest the different locations and the area linking them all together, your captors use spiked energy shields, flamethrowers, drones, and mech suits to stop you. Perhaps you can turn your enemies against themselves and stealthily stick to the safety of ventilation shafts yourself? Grow larger and rip their mech suits apart, absorbing some damage in the process, but eating the cadavers and workers to regain what you lost?

You may not be able to read a map (there is no map, only echo-location), or to understand these weird creatures their motivation (no written story or voice-acting beyond screams), but one thing is clear: the glass container may have been broken, but still this facility and its inhabitants, their machines and their flames and stinging projectiles, are standing between you and your freedom.

As you make your way across the facility and its various surroundings, finding ways to overcome some clever defensive security measures, and fighting hostile security systems using different tactics, there's only one thing on your mind: you must escape.
    Or wait... What is this weird energy you feel? Is that... Fun? Are you enjoying this massacre? Do you enjoy consuming the helpless and hapless flesh of your foes?

I know I have been enjoying this bloody rampage of meat consumption for "bio mass" gains a lot (and I'm a vegan... There, I told you, now make all the jokes you want). It came out of nowhere, painted the walls red, and when all scream and machine gun echoes went silent, it firmly but amorphously stood (and covered the walls and ceiling) as a new entry in my hall of fame of favourite games ever. And if you, like me, enjoy a good creature feature, a good horror film like John Carpenter's The Thing (one of my favourite films ever, with one of my favourite movie-game adaptations ever);
    a fast and fluid retro style horror-themed game with most of the modern needs and a vast variety of defensive and offensive moves and options;
    slow and methodically approachable situations mixed with hectic all out combat that has you observe, storm, adapt, retreat...
    You're in for tricky treat!
  8. Jul 28, 2020
    Good game a bit short but enjoyable want to give it 7.5 almost 8 if they implement a Map into the game or guide system or what ever I lost in the game almost 1 hours on some part almost think it’s a bug but when I found the new place I beat it so fast I beat it 3 in hours one sitting waste my time on finding next stage for the most part and when you get new skill they almost not explainGood game a bit short but enjoyable want to give it 7.5 almost 8 if they implement a Map into the game or guide system or what ever I lost in the game almost 1 hours on some part almost think it’s a bug but when I found the new place I beat it so fast I beat it 3 in hours one sitting waste my time on finding next stage for the most part and when you get new skill they almost not explain how to use some abilities and you can’t re-examines your ability or how many ability you have. If they improved from I mentioned I can see this game deserves score 8 even it’s really short but now just 7 Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 27 Critic Reviews

1. Oct 15, 2020
    These minor niggles aside, Carrion is a title that I think is well worth checking out for the design of its monster alone, and the carnage you can cause together. It's been a rough year, and we all need to blow off some steam somehow. I just never quite expected that taking control of an otherworldly nightmare unit would be the cathartic experience i needed, but life comes at you fast. Much in the way that giant red tendrils can.
  2. Aug 26, 2020
    Carrion is a game that I would love to play through in one night with a group of friends as long as I'm not the one playing it. While it's not the best Metroidvania to navigate, it's a joy to watch. If you love horror, especially old monster movies, this is worth checking out for the atmosphere alone as it makes for a rather spook-tacular night.
  3. Aug 24, 2020
    I usually grow tired of Metroidvanias pretty quickly, but Carrion had me hooked. There’s something to be said for putting players in the metaphorical shoes of a literal bloodthirsty monster — and that something is: it’s super fun.