7.3

1. Jun 15, 2020
    See some good /smart design decisions here. Originally avoided the game as I didn't think they'd be able to do much with only falling down, but they make it more interesting than I expected. Good idea to slow down descent with your atk, combos by jumping on multiple enemies (and a gem reward for doing so), creating some enemies that can only be killed with gun boot shots vs stomps, etc.See some good /smart design decisions here. Originally avoided the game as I didn't think they'd be able to do much with only falling down, but they make it more interesting than I expected. Good idea to slow down descent with your atk, combos by jumping on multiple enemies (and a gem reward for doing so), creating some enemies that can only be killed with gun boot shots vs stomps, etc.

That said, when I first played the game, apparently my pc was lagging a lot cause the game was running at about half speed. I'm playing the game now, and it feels WAAAAY too fast. The game feels like it was a better game at half speed than at normal speed, it's more strategic (and more accessible to more gamers) when it's slower. Was a more enjoyable pace, whereas normal speed makes it feel like a twitch/reactionary/ don't blink kind of game instead.

That said, I hope they patch it some day, to give players the option of reg speed, 3/4 speed, 1/2 speed. Changes up the dynamics quite a bit, the slower speed makes you notice the jumps and reset of gravity each time, and makes the gun shots (which slow descent) much more impactful. At normal speed, it moves too fast such that it feels like it doesn't do much at all. If the change isn't noticeable enough, it doesn't make the decision meaningful anymore, it's just a matter of trying to control the character, whereas at that slower pace I had to decide at each moment whether it was worth trying to keep the combo going or etc. Mayhaps I'll get used to the faster pace later, but as is that's my verdict. 72/10, if it had the speed options I'd rate it closer to 84/100
  2. Jul 1, 2020
    This review will be like the gameplay in downwell is, nice and short xD It's a roguelike game in which main point of gameplay is to reach the bottom of the well. I do really appreciate the minimalistic graphics and fast paced gameplay, it's a good combination. Nice and short that's the gameplay of Downwell, but on the other hand, I can't see myself pushing through all the way down to theThis review will be like the gameplay in downwell is, nice and short xD It's a roguelike game in which main point of gameplay is to reach the bottom of the well. I do really appreciate the minimalistic graphics and fast paced gameplay, it's a good combination. Nice and short that's the gameplay of Downwell, but on the other hand, I can't see myself pushing through all the way down to the bottom... I'm just bad at the fast paced platforming gameplay. Also, power ups are monotonous and there aren't many of them xd Overall, I do really like the game, it's a fine piece in my switch game collection to play once in a while between full fledged games. 7/10 nice one (btw it has an often price drop, so it's a good deal for such a roguelike game!!) Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 11 Critic Reviews

1. NF Magazine
    Aug 22, 2019
    Downwell is the quintessential $2.99 indie game. [Issue #38 – March/April 2019, p. 18]
  2. Mar 18, 2019
    At a first glance, Downwell doesn’t catch the eye; it’s a simplistic game with a minimalistic art style, and basic mechanics. But it becomes compelling due to its slick controls and synergistic elements.
  3. Mar 8, 2019
    With controls feeling slick whichever way you play, the Switch version comes recommended due to its versatility and if you’ve yet to take the plunge (literally) with Downwell, there’s never been a better time to do so.