6.7

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Jan 24, 2023
    Innovative and interesting gameplay with dazzling character designs, but the insipid plot and bland characterization of the cast leave a lot to be desired, especially it being the successor of the highly-raved Three Houses. It feels very infantile and regressive, highlighted by some moments reminiscent of past FE glories which are unfortunately few and far between. Cutscenes and dialoguesInnovative and interesting gameplay with dazzling character designs, but the insipid plot and bland characterization of the cast leave a lot to be desired, especially it being the successor of the highly-raved Three Houses. It feels very infantile and regressive, highlighted by some moments reminiscent of past FE glories which are unfortunately few and far between. Cutscenes and dialogues look and sound like a high school theater rehearsal and are painful to watch at times. I really dislike the repetitive nature of the personalities as well. Also, if we get a penny for every dang time "Divine" or "Divine Dragon" is mentioned or used, we'd all be the next Bezos or Musk, I swear.

I spent hundreds of hours in Three Houses and Three Hopes, enjoying every single moment of it, and I can sense emotional attachment to even the minor characters (Gatekeeper and monastery animals, anyone?). In Engage, I just couldn't wait for things to end, and I can't be bothered developing any attachment to any of these characters. Save your money and replay Three Houses and its spin-off, it's a way better use of your time and money.
  2. Jan 23, 2023
    After awakening, I played every games except Echo, and Engage was the worst one .The only plus point of engage for me is that there are more yuri elements, but the character creation is poor.
  3. Jan 24, 2023
    This is a nursery school version!
    The Story is a bad Joke compared to the predecessor.
  4. Jan 24, 2023
    Compared with three houses, it has better system and level design, but worse plot and characters. Three houses has the highest sales volume in fe history. I don't know why they can't make better system and level design without retain its advantages.
  5. Jan 24, 2023
    Worst Fire Emblem game to date. Every single bit of dialogue feels like satire and the characters are extreme to a very unrealistic degree. Doesn't feel like they had the long time FE fans in mind when developing this, but rather leaning towards the younger generation and also with the latest trends in pop culture. That just seems too corporate to me and all my senses are telling to me toWorst Fire Emblem game to date. Every single bit of dialogue feels like satire and the characters are extreme to a very unrealistic degree. Doesn't feel like they had the long time FE fans in mind when developing this, but rather leaning towards the younger generation and also with the latest trends in pop culture. That just seems too corporate to me and all my senses are telling to me to hate this game. Expand
  6. Jan 23, 2023
    Undoubtedly the worst character designs in the series bar none, it's actually jarring to see someone like Sigurd next to some of these clowns that are trying to be passed off as FE characters. The story is just a hybrid of awakening and fates but somehow it's much worse. I would not recommend this game to my worst enemy as that would be too evil on my part
  7. Jan 22, 2023
    I play JRPG to enjoy the story while testing out different strategy with given combat system.
    Here are my 2 main issues.
    Here are my 2 main issues.
    Story: Unfortunately, they put their guards down too much on the story. It feels like they cropped part of previous games and pasted it there. Too much contrast to 3H for sure. While 3H story was heavy, in here it went like ashes. Also too much cringe on their comedy and action. They looked like a group of medieval power rangers in action. Shonen cliched into isekai.

Characters: Honestly, I thought I was watching a circus parade. I do know Mika Pikazo is a great artist with amazing quality. However, she is specialized on illustrating things with strong characteristic traits (ex. vtubers). Almost 90% of the characters in the game were designed with vast clothing in overly saturated colors, and all stood out against each other. Definitely, not a unified design. Plus, her style diminished the maturity on all physical traits. Most looked underaged compared to the previous characters. None of them looked intimidating, even the villains.

New combat system was fun, animation quality was amazing, but if the story and setting doesn't support that... welp it's not a good JRPG to begin with. Now time to apologize to Fates.
  8. Jan 23, 2023
    I'm sorry to say, this will be the first Fire Emblem game I won't finish since I started playing the franchise with FE Awakening.

What great combat is there, isn't enough to make me stick with it. The art direction, story, writing and voice direction all make for an unbelievably anime tropey experience, in the worst way imaginable, with a story as bland as they come. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think the game experience would be better if we just got to fight the battles without any dialogue or story in it.
  9. Jan 22, 2023
    This game is probably like 7 but I am harsher on it because it seems that the franchise is going in the wrong direction. With a story and visual presentation worse than the previous game and relying on previous franchise for cameos instead of creating new characters. The simpler battle systems seem a step back from me compared to three houses options. Worldbuilding also suffers a step downThis game is probably like 7 but I am harsher on it because it seems that the franchise is going in the wrong direction. With a story and visual presentation worse than the previous game and relying on previous franchise for cameos instead of creating new characters. The simpler battle systems seem a step back from me compared to three houses options. Worldbuilding also suffers a step down even if is not FATES level. Expand
  10. Jan 23, 2023
    This is a Disneyland theme park version of fire emblem that is more concerned with smelling its own farts than giving a good story.

All of that aside, the combat system and engine are top notch, which somehow makes it worse, like putting a porche engine in a pinto.
  11. Jan 22, 2023
    Unfortunately, the supports for many of the characters, as well as many story elements were censored during localization. There are many other reviews complaining about the bland story and writing. However, please do not blame the original Japanese team. It is the English localizers' (Nintendo Treehouse's) fault in this case.
  12. Jan 23, 2023
    Beloved characters from older games are now personas for genshin impact rejects
  13. Jan 22, 2023
    The writing is so bad it makes the game unplayable. Even the support conversations feel like they were written by a 5 year old. No character has any shred of personality and its so cringe I can't even get through it. There's no excuse for it to be this bad. They've beefed up the fighting mechanics but it's clear as day that they did it by cutting all funding from the writing department.The writing is so bad it makes the game unplayable. Even the support conversations feel like they were written by a 5 year old. No character has any shred of personality and its so cringe I can't even get through it. There's no excuse for it to be this bad. They've beefed up the fighting mechanics but it's clear as day that they did it by cutting all funding from the writing department. I'd return it if the switch allowed that. Please learn from my mistake and do not buy this game. Expand
  14. Jan 22, 2023
    [Editing to lower the score after I played until chapter 13] The combats are fun, but the story is TERRIBLE: It’s super basic and childish. It lost all the perspectives and multidimensionality of characters we saw in Three Houses. The plot and dialogues seem written by a 12 year old kid or simply an AI bot.
  15. Jan 22, 2023
    Usually it's 1 step forward, and 2 steps back with this company. With Engage, it's 10 steps back as it throws out everything 3Houses did correctly.
  16. Jan 22, 2023
    I tried to like this game, but I could not, it seem a step back from all the improvements on gameplay, story telling and worldbuilding found on three houses. I personally dislike the cameos from old protagonists as this make the game fells like fire emblem heroes instead of a proper new entry on the franchise. I can’t recommend this one.
  17. Jan 21, 2023
    I felt like the game was a step back from previous games. The characters are forgettable. I also found the plot to be predictable. The heroes of the past felt underdeveloped. Just no replay value like three houses had. I think the combat was probably the best part but truth to be told i was never a fan of the weapon triangle system. I'd avoid this game if you are expecting it to be as goodI felt like the game was a step back from previous games. The characters are forgettable. I also found the plot to be predictable. The heroes of the past felt underdeveloped. Just no replay value like three houses had. I think the combat was probably the best part but truth to be told i was never a fan of the weapon triangle system. I'd avoid this game if you are expecting it to be as good as previous titles. Expand
  18. Jan 22, 2023
    I love fire emblem...buts gbis game is just sad. Bad Designs, worst fe story EVER, glitches and DLC before the game came out? I miss FE3H
  19. Jan 22, 2023
    This game should not exist. It insults past games and past lords. Be angry.
  20. Jan 21, 2023
    Just like a rubbish. Worse than Three Houses. I don't know why Intelligent Systems create this Fire Emblem? Worse than every FE, Awakening is better and Three Houses is the best FE. Don't do this in next FE!
  21. Jan 22, 2023
    Extremely soulless game with baby tier writing. Characters and story are awful. It's a downgrade from 3H in everyway. Sick of every game pandering to Vtubers. All it does is go for meme value rather than creating things with actual substance.
  22. Jan 21, 2023
    bad story, but good system. The plot looks like a child playing house. The characters are also designed to look like children, which I think is bad
  23. Feb 6, 2023
    the game is very good in the combat parts but the rest is horrible. in the social parts the game is horrible compared to fire emblem three houses, the character development is not good and neither is the intention between them making them boring you don't care about any of them ,and those animals you take to your base will do why not to interact with them to touch them at least for whatthe game is very good in the combat parts but the rest is horrible. in the social parts the game is horrible compared to fire emblem three houses, the character development is not good and neither is the intention between them making them boring you don't care about any of them ,and those animals you take to your base will do why not to interact with them to touch them at least for what those animals are there. And where is the romance in Fire Emblem Engage because Fire Emblem Three Houses had and was part of the charm of that game as the character development and its history. I recommend anyone who has never played a game in the fire emblems franchise to buy three houses and better than fire emblem engage Expand
  24. Feb 7, 2023
    Such a waste of money. This game is not even fun. The characters are completely one-dimensional and stupid. Their design are bland and terrible. The story is terrible. And the ring system breaks the game entirely, every character has thousand of skills and can become thousand of stuff. I hated this in F3H. I wish they would bring back a more basic system like its old entries.
  25. Feb 8, 2023
    Game feels half finished - a lot of things in the game are pointless.
    And I don't even take into account mediocre story and writing.
  26. Feb 1, 2023
    I will just list what I felt throughout gameplay.

- Satisfactory combat and animation. - Level of visual action lays on power rangers or precure - The artist doesn't seem to know what Fire Emblem is, or maybe her only FE game was the mobile Heroes. - Female characters full of lolis. - i thought to make comrades, but ended up with a bunch of ppl of cult of Divine Dragon (me). - No
    I will just list what I felt throughout gameplay.

- Satisfactory combat and animation.
    - Level of visual action lays on power rangers or precure
    - Female characters full of lolis.
    - No reason shown why they see me as their Idol, except that I'm just a Divine Dragon. Creepy.
    - Lines and actions that only weebs would take. JP players hated it even more than us.
    - ItnSys did not learn and inherited in the cursed scenario writer along with the weird petting. But worse this time.
    - No respect shown to old fans by making us listen dirty unpleasant lines from past heroes (ring cleaning minigame).
    - Definitely not worth for $60. It should be $10 or under.
  27. Feb 7, 2023
    This is a spoiler free rant-review about FE engage. If you don't wanna read through the wall of text heres a quick point form of whats good and you can just skip to the end for a tl;dr

The good: -Gameplay on maddening gets very challenging in mid-late chapters needing you to pull out all the stops to get through some maps making for some very fun gameplay -Some of the music is pretty

The good:
    -Some of the music is pretty solid.
    -There SOME good story-gameplay integration it would work much better if it was written well.
    -The paralogue chapters revisiting maps of the old games are really cool and the highlight of the game.

The bad:
    The main character is incredibly unlikable. Nothing about him is consistent other than hes an effeminate retard and a huge loser. The most stupefying moment is his "relationship" with one of the antagonists. I was writing about how stupid it was but it was like 3 paragraphs to keep within the character limit and to keep the review spoiler free just trust me when i say its REAAALLLY STUPID.

Every other character is paper thing and one dimensional written completely around their designated trope. The support conversations (from the ones ive read and skimmed through because after a certain point i was fed up with this **** did nothing for character growth either and essentially just boiled down to:

"Hello Character i like *my trope*" "Ohoho character 2 *your trope* is quite funny here is *my trope*"

or

"Uh oh! Looks like *my character trope* and *your character trope* dont mix well, what kind of wacky antics will ensue!"

I was on a fire emblem thread on /v/ last week and saw someone refer to a character as "Captain Estrogen" and you know what. I literally could not tell who in the **** they were referring to in a game with an actual trans character because 90% of the male cast consists of some of the most effeminate losers in all of fiction.

The graphics are "good" in the sense that they have more polygons than the average switch game. But the artstyle is just atrocious it tries to go for this look with very vibrant colors but translates horribly in 3d coming off looking incredibly generic and uninspired like a ****ty Chinese 3d mobile game. On top of this, the character models are completely uninspired and look like they all were created in a character generator by clicking "Randomize" a few times.

Don't get me wrong, fire emblem has always had inspirations from anime behind its character designs, but in previous games it was very believable that the majority of characters could exist in a medieval fantasy world. None of the characters in engage, bar a VERY SELECT FEW, feel like they can fit into that type of world (the world the game is trying to portray). The thing is even if the graphics were incredible and made the switch look like a ps5, it wouldn't solve the root of the problem which is its awful artstyle. The design of the majority of character is just flat out garbage and dare I say, ugly. I sincerely hope Mika Pikazo sticks to drawing vtubers and never touches FE again.

Seeing how big the part of the characters is, ill keep the part about the story short. Its bad. Not in terms of plot holes and such it is a *somewhat* coherent story, but its some of the most lazy, half-assed, uninspired writing ive ever seen. It reads like a story someone in grade 6-7 would write for creative writing.

There are tons of awful scenes that try to be "high impact" such as deaths that try to pull at heartstrings but either end up making you laugh or want to skip through it as much as possible because none of it feels earned at all. You either never get enough time to grow attached to a character, or they try to make you feel sorry for the character the moment they die rather than building towards it.

The writing in general for both story and dialogue is cringe at its best and puts you to sleep at worst.

tl;dr:
    I guess you might call it a “mixed bag."

But let me tell you what kind of mixed bag. It’s a trash bag that’s had a bad day. Like, say, your mom cleans out the cat litter; fresh and stale doody pebbles go right in the bottom of the bag. And then your sister throws out her used tampons, and where do they go? In the same bag. And then your brother comes home, piss-ass drunk just upchucks, pukes right into the bag/ Now I’m not trying to be disgusting, but that is a realistic situation, and what it all comes down to, THAT'S A NASTY BAG. But I’d rather take that **** out to the garbage than deal with this piece of **** **** this game, get out of my face!

All kidding aside, its kind of like Conquest, but worse. Its worth a playthrough but its definitely not one ill ever touch again.

Score being as close to objective i can be: 6.5/10

Personal score: 3/10
  28. Feb 6, 2023
    Combat was great and all, but the amount of cringe it gave during gameplay kept distubing me from immersing into the game. I wasn't able to get a clean and comforting gameplay as my previous FEs. Even with good combat u can't cover the bad writing...It hurts to rate negative to my favorite series...But Imma also be harsh on this one, so they don't bring that scenario writer again.
  29. Feb 1, 2023
    While this game shines as the forefront for what gameplay should be like in the Fire Emblem franchise, ir tries to make a return to a simpler, more straightforward story akin to the entries before the critically acclaimed 3 Houses. And yet, this story does not support and motivate the player to enjoy their time in the world of Elyos and connect with its large cast, instead throwing nonstopWhile this game shines as the forefront for what gameplay should be like in the Fire Emblem franchise, ir tries to make a return to a simpler, more straightforward story akin to the entries before the critically acclaimed 3 Houses. And yet, this story does not support and motivate the player to enjoy their time in the world of Elyos and connect with its large cast, instead throwing nonstop gameplay at them with thr narrative serving only the purpose of pushing you towards the next battle. It is disappointing to see so many long time fans call it par for the course because there is always better than something so lifeless. Expand
  30. Jan 26, 2023
    Have to rate this game this low to fight back against the senseless English localization of the game. I want to play these Japanese games as the developers intended. Not as the Nintendo of America team think I need to so that I won’t be offended.
  31. Jan 31, 2023
    U got to be kidding me. How did they go from Nintendo's Top RPG to a disastrous weeb game? This is exactly the 'Xenoblade 2' of Fire Emblem.

Combat? Gameplay? Okay. I enjoyed it. UNTIL the ring polish. You think it's just a small little feature? Welp, Def not for someone like me who've built old memories with the series. I can't believe how they dishonored their entire hero with just a side feature. BRUH. It made me so uncomfortable. Some of them are married and even have a child. And I hear dirty lines and moaning from each historic characters for polishing... a ring...? That's a huge damage they've done to their hero's reputation AND their gaming history. I as an old FE fan, have to put this as the worst game released from Intelligent System. Terrible story, useless side features, and censored lines. Just nope.

I would give 4 bc of gameplay, but decided to rate '0' so they can learn that Kitajima is ruining their game. Just like he did for FE Fates. That weird 'petting', line censorship, and terrible writing always happens only when he's assigned for scenario. That's how bad influence he is to this series.
  32. Feb 1, 2023
    Don't know why they decided to throw good writing and good characters out the window with this latest installment in the FE series, but they did.
  33. Jan 27, 2023
    The technical aspect of the game is the only positive thing about this game. The story is and the characters are very bad. I skip most of the support because they're unbearable. The devs locked some outfits behind some amibo **** and they released a $40 dlc on day 1. I hope it's not the new direction to the series. This has no replay value.

Fire Emblem Three Houses is way better than this crap.
  34. Feb 1, 2023
    I'm an RPG fan who ran across the series since Awakening. To those ppl assuming negative ratings come from otome crybabies, Let me tell you something.

I don't care about the S+ support and romance. That's a side feature to garnish the ending afterall. I don't know where yall have been reading those comments from, but yall aren't getting the major problem. Most say the same thing: Story, story and story. Note that Fire Emblem is an RPG game, a game that requires enough plot and setting so that it motivates us to take action as our character. Well, Engage failed to meet the average player's satisfaction due to lack of quality with all those childish plot, unnatural lines, weeb action, etc. Those features don't even reach the modern Shonen standards. No matter how much i tried enjoying the combat, the unbearable cutscenes and support lines kept ruining the fun. I can skip them all, but that would basically mean this game failed as an RPG.

So yea. I don't need any otome bishoujo element, especially after watching all those scenes.
    BUT
    I would rather have that than the uncomfy 'petting' feature they added back. Now that's more otome, but it came out to be nasty. That ring polishing with all that kimochi this, kimochi that... was absurd.
  35. Feb 1, 2023
    As far as gameplay is concerned, the gameplay mechanics of Engage are incredible and extremely fun, it is some of the best gameplay in the series. However, it is extremely unfortunate that the characters, dialogue and story have once again been deliberately sabotaged by the miserable localizers at Treehouse, rewriting characters, inserting cheesy dialogue, and completely censoring any andAs far as gameplay is concerned, the gameplay mechanics of Engage are incredible and extremely fun, it is some of the best gameplay in the series. However, it is extremely unfortunate that the characters, dialogue and story have once again been deliberately sabotaged by the miserable localizers at Treehouse, rewriting characters, inserting cheesy dialogue, and completely censoring any and all hints of romance out of the game. These translators must have a deep-seated resentment for the projects that they’re working on for them to end up with translations this poorly-made and low-effort. It is truly unacceptable. Expand
  36. Feb 1, 2023
    For a review of the story, see the many other reviews. Considering gameplay: Messy balancing and tedious, undercooked gameplay parts ruin potential fun.

Many other games, even indie games, either have good balancing or clever options to adjust difficulty, not so Fire Emblem : Engage, regrettably. "Normal" and "Hard" difficulty quickly evolve into "send arbitrary unit forward and let

"Normal" and "Hard" difficulty quickly evolve into "send arbitrary unit forward and let it 1-hit-KO any enemy" snoozefests. To raise difficulty, you have to restart the game completely.

The highest difficulty, "Maddening", provides challenge but completely messes with the game's balance and gameplay systems:
    - Your units gain experience slower. In effect, the characters you start with trail behind pretty quickly while progressing through the story. Every single new character that regularly joins your party is stronger right out of the box. Thus, you're pushed to constantly replace older characters with new characters, eliminating choice and any attachment you had to these characters.
    - The base game offers no relevant options to let older characters catch up (disregarding inconvenient and overcomplicated cheesing strategies)
    - But wait, there's a DLC that comes with a skill that let's your characters gain 20% more experience! The drawback: I had to completely restart the game again to profit from this skill's effect.
    - So I restarted the game again with the DLC and let my units gain 20% more experience. Difficulty again: Maddening. And yes, this time my older units stayed relevant. Regrettably, by chapter 10-11, supposedly difficult missions, my party was again completely dominating, smashing enemies the story wanted me to escape from, eliminating any challenge and immersion again...
    - So yes, I could think about what limitations I could set for myself to have a balanced game, and restart the game a third time... but honestly, I find daily chores to be more fun than this.
    - In summary, this game seems more like a very fiddly sandbox you need to extend (buy DLC) and tune very carefully to not ruin any fun. Even then, the toolbox feels way too clunky.

- Most of the combat is limited to simple unit movement with simple "rock-paper-scissor" tactics. Varied tactics like "Gambits" in "Fire Emblem: Three Houses" have been dumbed down and only play a minor role later in the game.

Interface problems, contributing to a lot of fiddling and confusion:
    - For example, if you want to change a characters' skills you need to access its inventory first... Yet, you can't equip a ring via the inventory. For that, you must access a different interface via the main menu...
    - Yet again, not all options to interact with rings can be found in this one menu. For some options, you must visit the "Ring Chamber", adding more loading times.
    - In the "Ring Chamber", you can inherit skills from a ring. Yet sometimes, you need more training with that ring. For that, you must visit the "Arena", adding more loading times.
    - To get to the next mission you have to leave the hub and load the world map (more loading times). From the world map, you can access the next mission (more loading times).

Undercooked yet relevant hub activities which get tedious way faster than the hub activities of "Fire Emblem: Three Houses":
    - While in the hub (the "Somniel"), you can interact with the game's mascot to get bonus materials. You can feed it (loading times) or pet it (loading times). To access either menu, you leave the previous pet or feeding menu (more loading times) while you wait for long, unskippable animations to finish...
    - There's a couple of tedious and undercooked mini games you can play in the hub to get relevant materials after each mission. These mini games (like pressing "A" to do push ups) overstay their welcome the first time you're playing them. But to get materials the games nudges you into wasting your time again and again with these mini games, since it takes a good amount of time doing each of them.
    - The interaction with characters, especially the Emblem heroes, can be likened to talking with theme park mascots.
  37. Feb 5, 2023
    Fire Emblem Engage is a return to a more classic style of Fire Emblem. The map design and tactical gameplay are quite good, and among some of the best work done in this series, albeit with some baffling balance decisions concerning the in game economy and too heavy a focus on grinding for post game content. The main campaign offers very solid gameplay and each map is consistently fun toFire Emblem Engage is a return to a more classic style of Fire Emblem. The map design and tactical gameplay are quite good, and among some of the best work done in this series, albeit with some baffling balance decisions concerning the in game economy and too heavy a focus on grinding for post game content. The main campaign offers very solid gameplay and each map is consistently fun to play. However, the game is hobbled by what is by far one of the worst plots in gaming history, the writing is poor the story massively cliched in a way that doesn't offer any enjoyment or pay off and by the late game the plot is such a train wreck it completely ruins the experience. 8/10 gameplay. 0/10 utter trash story that starts weak and just gets worse as the game goes on. Expand
  38. Jan 31, 2023
    My review 20 hours into the game; spoiler-free.

50% of the characters are clowns; both visual and personality-vise. Meanwhile, in the previous game there were very few clown characters (almost none). The story seems kind of okay so far. The graphics got slightly better; however many cutscenes still have a solid dead texture as a backdrop. Balance: bad, this is the worst part.
    My review 20 hours into the game; spoiler-free.

The story seems kind of okay so far.

Balance: bad, this is the worst part. The missions are either too easy or too difficult. I think there is some sort of error in the game logic when it cannot decide what should be the level of the enemies. The balance seemed way better in the previous game in the series: Fire Emblem Three Houses.

Overall I do not even feel like writing a honest detailed review for this game. Sorry but after running into literal WRONG balance issue there can be no redeeming factor for this game. In the end, I will not give it a 0 because that would not be fair; I give it a well-deserved FOUR out of ten; honest.

P.S. like other people pointed out; the balance is tuned to encourage player to replace characters in your party which is not a cardinal sin in itself I guess; but in this particular case it is done poorly
  39. Jan 27, 2023
    Engage feels like a mobile game and plays like it too.

Awful story, pointless dialogues, vapid characters, etc. Even the art style is immature and garish.

A massive disappointment after the sublime previous FE entry Three Houses.

This will be the first FE game I will not complete it's that bad.
  40. Jan 28, 2023

The game's story is horrible, it has an online mode that doesn't quite work, and you have to do a lot of mini-games and repetitive farming between missions (not mandatory, but it provides too much improvement to pass up, especially if you play on high difficulty).

Fire Emblem engage seems to me a game totally based on combat, very large scenarios, full of enemies with nice animations. The amount of emblems and characters that there are allow a huge (even overwhelming) customization and depth. It forces you to measure very well not only your movements on the battlefield, but also how to manage your resources, who to equip the emblems to, what class they should have, what equipment to buy or improve...

In short, in this Fire Emblem they have completely left aside all the story and character interactions, but if you are looking for a real spectacular tactical challenge, Fire Emblem seems to me superior to Three Houses, although the latter is undoubtedly a much more rounded game.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)I have made an account simply to comment on this game. I'm seeing a lot of reviews that seem unfair to me although I understand the reasons for them.

41. Jan 25, 2023
    As someone who has played many fire emblem games, I can say for certain the gameplay is amazing for engage! However, that's all the game really has going for it. It is flashy and I suppose meant to appeal to the hearts of nostalgia. Still, I wonder why so many would go as far to give it a 10. It is far from a 10. A 10 game would have more going to it than gameplay. At least the story inAs someone who has played many fire emblem games, I can say for certain the gameplay is amazing for engage! However, that's all the game really has going for it. It is flashy and I suppose meant to appeal to the hearts of nostalgia. Still, I wonder why so many would go as far to give it a 10. It is far from a 10. A 10 game would have more going to it than gameplay. At least the story in fates was a bit more engaging than engage. I finished the game, but I do not feel as though the gameplay is enough to get me to play it again. Sorry to the fans that cannot take criticism over this game that has not much plot and characterization, but it is a disappointing release. I just hope their next game has a bit more plot over this one. And dont get me wrong, I know there are people that don't play for plot, but games without a plot are not a 10. And yes, we will continue to compare it to 3 houses because 3 houses was a step forward while this one is a step back. Why else would they be adding 3 houses in the form of a dlc? Because they want to make use of the game some more. The highest I would give engage is a 6. Expand
  42. Jan 26, 2023
    Cringe characters and story. This SRPG gets a big F on the RPG part. While maps are more complex than 3H everything else is still horribly unbalanced.
  43. Feb 1, 2023
    The tactical gameplay is great, but I just can't stand the characters or the story.
  44. Jan 27, 2023
    剧情 人设都很幼齿 难度有所提升 主角很弱 重甲+老辛=无敌法拉利。火纹已经在二次元媚宅的路上越走越远了,仔细想想其实很多作品都这样了,比如最近的水星魔女,高达的幼齿化比火纹还厉害,只能说时代变了吧,我等已经不能理解现在的日本年轻人了
  45. Feb 3, 2023
    While some areas were definitely improved from other games (mainly the visuals: animations, shaders, ...), most aspects have me worrying about the future of the license.
    Music is good but I won't go as far as saying it is great. I find the UI pretty difficult to read and even the controls feel weird sometimes.
    Character designs are arguably bad, annoying, and frequently would take me out
    Character designs are arguably bad, annoying, and frequently would take me out of the story. I couldn't take a single character seriously either because their design was straight up stupid or their backstory was uninteresting/often non-existent. Some characters have literally no backstory and are completely one dimensional, only existing because of a specific trait that they will bring out in 80% of their conversation. I found myself skipping the support conversations for the first time in the series, it's hardly forgivable after the supports we had in Three Hopes recently.
    The story events feel artificial, forced, and just impossible to take seriously. In general I feel like the tone of the game is too serious for what it has to offer, if there were effective jokes that could make me smile from time to time I would have certainly enjoyed it more. The involvement of the emblems in the story also felt extremely minimal and artificial, but I guess it was to be expected.
  46. Feb 4, 2023
    Fire Emblem Engage more or less takes a step back from Fire Emblem Three Houses. The visible improvement is only from the graphics, while for the gameplay it only adds the weapon triangle system which was already in the old game and the emblem ring system which is exclusive to this title. even though the emblem ring is innovative and unique, the basic gameplay only relies on that, if it isFire Emblem Engage more or less takes a step back from Fire Emblem Three Houses. The visible improvement is only from the graphics, while for the gameplay it only adds the weapon triangle system which was already in the old game and the emblem ring system which is exclusive to this title. even though the emblem ring is innovative and unique, the basic gameplay only relies on that, if it is removed, then you can say there is no other innovative thing in the gameplay. And regarding the story and characters in this game, the story is boring and the character designs are too over the top and their dialogue is abysmal. There are even some mobile games whose stories and characters are better than this exclusive switch game, this is really embarrassing. overall I do not recommend buying this game at full price, because it is not worth your hard earned money Expand
  47. Feb 5, 2023
    This game is definitely the next "black sheep" in the Fire Emblem series alongside Fates and Warriors. The story is hilariously bad (especially towards the end) and most of the characters are completely forgettable. I know people will argue that Fire Emblem "was always anime", but believe me and other older Fire Emblem fans (my first game was Path of Radiance on the Gamecube, vurrentThis game is definitely the next "black sheep" in the Fire Emblem series alongside Fates and Warriors. The story is hilariously bad (especially towards the end) and most of the characters are completely forgettable. I know people will argue that Fire Emblem "was always anime", but believe me and other older Fire Emblem fans (my first game was Path of Radiance on the Gamecube, vurrent favorite is Echoes: Shadows of Valentia) when we say that this game ACTUALLY IS TOO ANIME. You can easily tell just from the art style and Vtuber aesthetics (if the story and voicelines weren't already big indicators). Completely far-flung from the more medieval fantasy-like world the series is more known for.

The gameplay is very unbalanced. Hit rates are completely broken as more and more people are noticing that they're consistently missing attacks that have 80-90%+ accuracy and getting hit by enemy attacks that have 30% accuracy. I don't know if it's a coding error or what, but the RNG is completely messed up in a lot of cases. The ring system is interesting in concept, but the more I played with it the more I came to realize that the game pretty much wants you to spam Engage attacks throughout the fights which sort of kills the immersion of trying to formulate intense strategies while in the midst of battle. They at least brought back the weapon triangle tho, which was something I thoroughly enjoyed.

Character growth rates are abysmal, and even worse most of the early units are easily replaceable with better units as you progress through the game. It's a HUGE step backwards from the level progression system of Three Houses and even the systems of older Fire Emblem games. You can somewhat mitigate these problems with giving your characters more skills via building bonds with rings, but it requires A LOT of grinding to give your characters the necessary skill points and bond points to get everything.

Most of the maps are uninteresting. The only ones that have interesting mechanics going on for them are in the last few chapters of the game.

The Somniel is a neat concept since it feels like an upgraded version of My Castle from Fire Emblem Fates, but even then towards the end I found myself feeling like it was there so that I could "do my dailies" after every fight like I'm playing some kind of mobile game (this game has a gacha mechanic as well).

There's a big spike in difficulty at around Chapter 11, and it's way more noticeable when playing on the harder difficulty settings. I did two playthroughs on both Normal and Hard respectively. Hard mode felt A LOT more stressful than Normal, and it's not even the most difficult setting. The people playing on Maddening are an entirely different breed. Godspeed.

Oh, and slight spoiler: You have the option to marry anyone in the roster, including two little kids and your little sister. The US version has been heavily localized to give the Pact Ring cutscenes different context, but overall you know what the original script was implying. Gross...

There's some fun to be had in this game, but the good moments are so few and far between that I have to give it a negative review. I genuinely love the Fire Emblem series, and it seemed like the series was only going to improve after Echoes and Three Houses, but obviously not every game can be a masterpiece. Here's hoping they address these issues in the next installment. I'm not worried about DLC. I'm done with this game.
  48. Jan 27, 2023
    Combat is good. Everything else is really bland and boring. Dialogue is really cringy at times. There is nothing special about any of the characters, designs are boring, some are weirdly proportioned like big body tiny head.. The MC design is atrocious not to sure why they approved it. The engage system is kind of a let down and doesn't really add anything except nostalgia. I played itCombat is good. Everything else is really bland and boring. Dialogue is really cringy at times. There is nothing special about any of the characters, designs are boring, some are weirdly proportioned like big body tiny head.. The MC design is atrocious not to sure why they approved it. The engage system is kind of a let down and doesn't really add anything except nostalgia. I played it for a couple of hours then went to eat something, came back and had no desire to continue playing didn't even care about the story. When I tried to play again later I found myself on Facebook 10 minutes into it because it was more interesting than this game. This game just doesn't hold my attention. The name engage is ironic because this game is not engaging at all. Expand
  49. Jan 29, 2023
    As a person who's been playing since Fire Emblem Fates I have to say this is one of the worst most boring games I've played EVER, period. I'm sorry but I actually love Fire Emblem Fates for its flaws even if it was hated l, but for some reason I can't stand this game. The story is absolute nonsense, characters talk like they are in some kind of baby cartoon and not just one or two butAs a person who's been playing since Fire Emblem Fates I have to say this is one of the worst most boring games I've played EVER, period. I'm sorry but I actually love Fire Emblem Fates for its flaws even if it was hated l, but for some reason I can't stand this game. The story is absolute nonsense, characters talk like they are in some kind of baby cartoon and not just one or two but nearly every character is the "anime joke character" here. It hurts me after fire emblem three houses - one of my favourite games of all time to see it slip so much. The story in that game in my opinion was actually a masterpiece and gets you thinking about the morality of your actions with memorable characters and THE MUSIC IS SO GOOD. Sorry I'm going too much on about much better game that anyone reading this should buy instead of engage. I pray other entries in the fire Emblem series are not like this and if you are on the edge of considering buying this game JUST DON'T. It has day 1 DLC and a inbuilt (although free) gacha system. - and I like games with them in sometimes...

I don't know if I'm going to continue playing...
  50. Jan 25, 2023
    I love turned based combat. I love Fire Emblem. I just wrote a love letter to Chained Echoes. This game, it's story line, it's character voice-over, it's script..... unbearable. I should have listened to the reviews. This game is trash. Total cash grab.
  51. Jan 25, 2023
    Ok, I been playing the game, and nope, story is extremely bored and childish, look I can understand some stories could be slow but still those stories found a way to keep you eager to learn more about that story, but NO with this game, you could fall sleep with this game if not is because the battle system is like the best of this game, and still not enough to say the game worth completlyOk, I been playing the game, and nope, story is extremely bored and childish, look I can understand some stories could be slow but still those stories found a way to keep you eager to learn more about that story, but NO with this game, you could fall sleep with this game if not is because the battle system is like the best of this game, and still not enough to say the game worth completly becauae of that, Now lets talk about the engage stories, first I just read ENG version was censored, but to me is not just censored is more like they decide to rewrite every single event of the engage story for each character deleting all romance lines and change it by some generic and BORED lines, believe neither the Jap version is good either but english is Worst, is like you instead of engage your support you are making a partner/friend conversation but extremely generic and Cero love or romance, and last but not less, the character design, good lord, uninspired, bored clothes, the MC is ridiculous, and the models looka like they were made for a MMD video from 10 years ago, sorey this game have too many red cards, ia just a waste of time... Expand
  52. Jan 30, 2023
    Once the novelty of the combat system wears off, there's nothing left to talk about as the characters and story line are both abysmal. Really wish Intelligent System could get their games right. There's always a glaring issue no matter what and with Engage it's more apparent than ever.
  53. Jan 31, 2023
    This is the worst Fire Emblem game in the series. I got to Chapter 12 when I made this decision. The story is bad and there is no reason to use any particular character. There are over 6 different "Hero" units you get by Chapter 12. This game honestly seems like it's trying to tie in the mobile game into their Fire Emblem series.
  54. Jan 31, 2023
    Terrible designs, shallow writing, gameplay incentivizes you to replace characters ASAP. These three traits combined are toxic. It's the first game since like Radiant Dawn to be a true literal who fest where they spam you with filler. Fates and Awakening at least incentivized you to use every unit multiple times to get bonus chapters and their kids. 3H gave you a small, focused cast.Terrible designs, shallow writing, gameplay incentivizes you to replace characters ASAP. These three traits combined are toxic. It's the first game since like Radiant Dawn to be a true literal who fest where they spam you with filler. Fates and Awakening at least incentivized you to use every unit multiple times to get bonus chapters and their kids. 3H gave you a small, focused cast. Engage has gone back to dumping hundreds of pointless and expendable characters on you, which would be good for gameplay if so many of the characters weren't completely unusable so there's no variety to be gained from using them. Expand
  55. Jan 28, 2023
    I am worried about the franchise after finishing this fame, while perfectly playable the game feels odd to me, somehow the mechanics and characters feel blander than awakening’s while I am enjoying the game way less than shadow dragon. So far, I also don’t feel invested in any oof the characters. I hope Nintendo and Intelligent Systems don’t follow this route for the following game.
  56. Jan 27, 2023
    Engage undermines previous Fire Emblem games and characters. You hate to see it.
  57. Jan 28, 2023
    I will leave this as a temporary review as I am around halfway point on my playthrough. So far, I am bored out of my mind. I will try to update this as I continue my playthrough if it gets any better.
  58. Jan 29, 2023
    This games looks great on the outside but once you play it you see it’s glaring flaws. It has very little story, the cutscenes are cheesy and the characters are so incredibly forgettable. There’s almost no character development among anyone in this game and most the characters you end up not using. The gameplay itself is great but everything else in this game feels like a chore. DO NOT BUYThis games looks great on the outside but once you play it you see it’s glaring flaws. It has very little story, the cutscenes are cheesy and the characters are so incredibly forgettable. There’s almost no character development among anyone in this game and most the characters you end up not using. The gameplay itself is great but everything else in this game feels like a chore. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! Expand
  59. Jan 30, 2023
    Engage and its consequences have been a disaster for the Fire Emblem series.
  60. Feb 1, 2023
    The character design is terrible. I'm not here to watch some kind of Vtuber war.
  61. Jan 23, 2023
    Not an RPG. no story to participate in it feels like a movie you watch and then battles to participate in. Game mechanic of battles are awful compared to three houses, hate everything they changed about battles and do not like the ring mechanics at all. Only good thing in the game is Sommie is cute but interacting with it is so slow and you can’t skip feeding or petting time so it takesNot an RPG. no story to participate in it feels like a movie you watch and then battles to participate in. Game mechanic of battles are awful compared to three houses, hate everything they changed about battles and do not like the ring mechanics at all. Only good thing in the game is Sommie is cute but interacting with it is so slow and you can’t skip feeding or petting time so it takes forever. I also feel like half of the time playing, you’re just waiting for the next scene to load. Do not recommend at all. Expand
  62. Jan 29, 2023
    Story is incredibly generic and boring, characters are almost all one-note and boring, cringe and/or annoying. Even good gameplay can't save this. Frankly, it would be better if it was just the combat with no story or supports at all. If you must play, it's best skip the entire story and supports and just play the maps.
    Ideally don't buy it at all. If this sells too well they won't learn
    Ideally don't buy it at all. If this sells too well they won't learn their lesson that this level of writing is unacceptable no matter how good the rest of the game is.
  63. Jan 28, 2023
    This game is extremely expensive. The greedy developers are charging $60 for a turn-based game made with Unity. Are you freaking kidding me? The Unity engine should only be used for indie and free-to-play games. Not even EA is that greedy to sell me a Unity game for $60. As a matter of fact, I don't remember the last time I spent $60 on a game made with Unity. It just goes to show howThis game is extremely expensive. The greedy developers are charging $60 for a turn-based game made with Unity. Are you freaking kidding me? The Unity engine should only be used for indie and free-to-play games. Not even EA is that greedy to sell me a Unity game for $60. As a matter of fact, I don't remember the last time I spent $60 on a game made with Unity. It just goes to show how extremely cheap and lazy Nintendo are. Imagine charging $60 for an indie quality game. The graphics are a joke. It literally looks like a mobile game. The physics are beyond horrible. When I pay $60, I expect top notch AAA quality. That is exactly what this game lacks. The combat is boring and repetitive. The story is garbage and the dialogue is cringeworthy.

There is no multiplayer. So once you beat the story, there is literally not a reason to play this game again. Charging $60 for a game with no replay value is a cash grab. Remember when Nintendo used to brag about quality, to the point where they slapped a seal of quality on the cover of their games? They created that as a response for Atari's massive collection of shovelware, and now they have ironically become what they mocked. Nintendo is a multi-billion dollar company. There is no excuse for these cheapskates to sell shovelware made with Unity for $60. That's pathetic. I don't recommend this game at all, unless you want to support laziness.

Edit: Turns out there is a so-called multiplayer. Why didn't they put it in the main freaking menu? Jesus Christ are these developers so irrational. The co-op is a joke. It's just taking turns using the same army. You could literally play any turn-based game and pass the controller to another player, or you could go to Twitch and ask viewers for choices if you want online. That is not multiplayer. The PvP is playing against AI. There is no real-time PvP so my point still stands, there is no multiplayer.
  64. Jan 24, 2023
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Can you believe that more than 70% of story dialogues and combat lines yelled by your units are composed of the term "Divine Dragon"?

Here are some examples:
    "Oh, Divine Dragon!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    "Wow, Divine Dragon is praising me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    "My mind is so cozy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Divine Dragon is praising me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    "My mind is so cozy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Divine Dragon stands before me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    "Divine Dragon, am I useful to you?"
    "Divine Dragon, am I good?"
    "Die for Divine Dragon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Yeah, you get the freaking ideas now, right?

Nearly every dialogue from your units is all about reactions of them seeing their worshipped God, Divine Dragon, a character controlled by player with lame voice and bland personality, appearing in the form of human before them.

It seems that the game developer really thinks that fans of Fire Emblem are just some kind of sadistic idiots who don't give a damn about story and character development, and will buy the game and all dlcs no matter what, neglecting game price, gameplay value, plot, character development, technical performance, as long as game on the hardest difficulty with permanent death would force them to reload thousand times to get their desired combat result because every player unit will die from 1-2 hits from any enemy units on such difficulty settings.
  65. Jan 23, 2023
    Engage is the epitome of soulless and only IntSys apologists will defend it out of brand loyalty.
  66. Jan 23, 2023
    Uhhhhhhhhggg nopes!! Dissapointed. 3H better. This game is…. Idk… sorry but no
  67. Jan 24, 2023
    The game play is fun and plenty tough. There's a whole lot of extra stuff that doesn't really add anything to the game and will be quite cumbersome for those looking to max out. Worst thing about the game is the story though. The characters are all forgettable and the dialogue for support is completely soulless. If you've plaid every other tactical RPG out there you could get this one, butThe game play is fun and plenty tough. There's a whole lot of extra stuff that doesn't really add anything to the game and will be quite cumbersome for those looking to max out. Worst thing about the game is the story though. The characters are all forgettable and the dialogue for support is completely soulless. If you've plaid every other tactical RPG out there you could get this one, but that seems pretty unlikely. Wait for it to go down in price if you want this one for your collection. Also say one DLC being the only way to get the heroes from the last game is pretty disgusting. Expand
  68. Jan 23, 2023
    Decepcionado del juego ,muy mala trama ,personajes aburridos ,no lleno mis expectativas
  69. Jan 23, 2023
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game system is old-fashioned, the story is broken, and the characters are unappealing.
    A game of the lowest rank with no fun at all.
  70. Jan 25, 2023
    Maybe good for old players, but I still prefer three houses
    The plot is too low to make people unable to insist on experiencing all the content. A three-year-old child can write a better story. She could have been the best work,but…
  71. Jan 28, 2023
    The story, the voice cast, the art style… everything except gameplay are just straight up painfully childish and unable to endure. The worst purchase decision on switch.
  72. Jan 27, 2023
    Meh another crap to fill Switch’s drought, I know, u know that it is not worth even $30.
  73. Jan 31, 2023
    After the success that was Three Houses, Engage is a major disappointment. Generic anime garbage with Genshin Impact rejects as characters with a story that's made for 5 years old. What happened ????
  74. Feb 1, 2023
    Absolutely the worst Fire Emblem I've ever played.

Absolutely the worst Fire Emblem I've ever played.

Wow. Where do I even start? Awful writing. Terrible writing for a pretty unenthusiastic voice acting experience. No offense to the voice actors, you can only do so much with terrible writing. Every single one of the characters is a nothing personality. And the Emblems may as well be a Siri AI with even less personality. Now, sure, Fire Emblem has always been campy. But they tried! Here's some campy high fantasy dialogue you can just commit to. This lacks commitment to any kind of real threads woven through a story. Just a hodgepodge of "I guess there should be some dialogue here...". Normally I look forward to Support interactions and I just can't even stand listening to these people.

And to do that to our favorite heroes? Lyn is one of my favorite characters and she's just a nothing sandwich. I'd honestly prefer the Emblems be silent ghosts. It would ruin them less for me.

And the characters! Oh my goodness, what a bag of garbage. With like... two exceptions... every other level "Here's three more nothing characters made up of a prince/princess and 2 retainers". And that's it. Zero depth. I don't care about any of them beyond what they can do for me. Yunaka is maybe the only one that displays any kind of personality.

For Combat, I appreciate the weapons triangle. I don't much care for the Break system. Its a choice. Its... fine.

Now these rings... Did we really need Mega-Evolutions for our Fire Emblem Pokemon? It can be kinda fun, but its too much. Far far too much. Its a massive jump from "Here's your legendary Axe" to "Here's..... all this stuff". I'm not trying to memorize a million different things in order to find decent combinations. For a game as simple as this at its core, adding complexity for the sake of complexity is just stupid. We're spending more time on setup for battle than actual battle. I appreciate the utility the rings can provide. Its an interesting addition, but it just does not hit very well as an overall system.

And these Somniel activities... what a bunch of garbage. These mini game are silly and worthless. They're not even good. Wyvern riding is an absolute travesty. None of it is important or remotely worth the time to do any of it.

Bond rings? Really? Maybe cut the amount in half. Who's got time or resources for all this?

Also, I've never been poor in a Fire Emblem game before. I've got a castle and you're telling me we're broke? Meanwhile there's a whole philanthropic system to give all your money away just to adopt pets or fight battles to get resources for upgrades you..... now have no money to afford? Just wow. Just. Wow.

And where's the choices? Where the defining moment that allows me to choose a different path for multiple playthroughs? So far I've got no reason to play again after this abhorrent story resolves. So far my protagonist is just along for the ride.

And its been well documented how ridiculous the protagonists look. All justified. They're absurd.

It feels like they took Three Houses, which I enjoyed despite being a bit of a departure from earlier entries, and completely misread the generally positive feedback. Took all the garbage, cranked it up to 11, then left all the good stuff behind. The only thing they left in Three Houses that I'm happy about is the teacher-student love affairs.

I just don't understand how we got here. Maybe playing Triangle Strategy to fill the void Fire Emblem left set my expectations too high. I go from a difficult "Hard Mode" where I actually have to strategize to this cake-walk of a "Hard Mode" and I just can't help but be disappointed.

I think this really disillusions me to the franchise. I'm unlikely to preorder, much less purchase, the next game in the series. At best, if it reviews well, I may get it after its been out a while.
  75. Feb 4, 2023
    Great gameplay but everything else is horrible. Characters are paper thin, with very little to offer by way of meaningful conversations. Alear is so stupid, and believes everything at face value - even from the villains. I was so frustrated by how little effort was given to the writing. Story was predictable at best, and disappointing at worst. I found myself skipping through theGreat gameplay but everything else is horrible. Characters are paper thin, with very little to offer by way of meaningful conversations. Alear is so stupid, and believes everything at face value - even from the villains. I was so frustrated by how little effort was given to the writing. Story was predictable at best, and disappointing at worst. I found myself skipping through the cutscenes, because I could care less about what was happening. Expand
  76. ffp
    Feb 6, 2023
    i wish fire emblem games would drop the date sim mechanics cuz if not, better convert this whole franchise into a visual novel.

the technical aspects of the game are amazing, props to the devs for making this game's performance an issue.
  77. Feb 3, 2023
    The gameplay and mechanics are fantastic; Maddening seems really balanced; but besides that, I do not like anything else in the game. Characters are undeveloped, writing and story is horrible. Worst of all, there’s no ‘new game+’. once I beat maddening, what’s the point of replaying? I don’t get to keep any SP, or skills.
  78. Jan 24, 2023
    Poor character design.
    Too many event movies, poor pacing.
    Engage system is unnecessary.
    DLC is expensive.
  79. Jan 22, 2023
    bad comedy. Everything but the battle was ruined.
    Seriously, what did they do during that long development period?
  80. Jan 22, 2023
    Not for me.... too much forced included. Sorry. System of "romance" made me sick. and the animations, NEVER
  81. Jan 24, 2023
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am getting tired of the FE plot now. Because the Engage story was so childish, I was able to tell clearly the issue now. That 'I am the child/vessel of Final Boss???' setting has been used 4 times in a row now. They really have to stop using that setting now, because now it's becoming so predictable. Also I am not liking how most female characters faces look the same except for the hairstyle,eye and some tattoo. I actually tested myself by covering their hair and putting on grayscale. I could not tell who they where. Plus they all got babyfaced from previous FE games, I thought I was dating a minor during the pact ring confession scene. Please don't do that. Expand
  82. Jan 22, 2023
    People are overhyping the gameplay. It doesn't suck but it's nowhere near good enough to make up for how bad the story, characters, music, worldbuilding and dialogue are. Also it has a major flaw in that the units are badly balanced and tend to be either amazing or immediately benched, if you get any satisfaction from raising your units up this is not the Fire Emblem game for you.
    It's
    It's just a thoroughly boring experience that tries to posit itself as the new mainline entry whilst giving you nothing but shallow garbage and leaning on nostalgia for older, better games as a crutch.
    They should take the Break mechanic and put it into a real FE game, because this half-assed garbage is going to be forgotten in a month. Engage is going the same way as Fates where people are blinded during the honeymoon period and then realise shortly afterwards that the game was thoroughly disappointing. Intelligent System seriously need to get their act together and show that 3H wasn't an outlier and that they can make Fire Emblem games that take themselves seriously and stand on their own merits rather than leaning on self-references and parodying itself.

You're better off buying Conquest, 3H, the GBA era or the Tellius games.
    The one thing Engage does right is shoving old characters in your face and reminding you that there are better Fire Emblem games you could be playing.
  83. Feb 2, 2023
    - Less Classes
    - Less Weapons
    - Shallow Characters
    - Shallow Plot
    - No Meaningful Downtime Activities - No Meaningful Supports
    - No Player Choice
    - Lolis Everywhere (Pedo Bait)
    - The Break Mechanic which makes playing defense / counter attacker is no longer viable.

The only thing you could say was better is the graphics, which is not high on the list of importance in a FE game.
  84. Jan 21, 2023
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is complete garbage. The game is a shameful rehash of Awakening with the same gameplay mechanics, god awful support cutscenes that were written by a 3 year old who just learned how to speak, and story that is nonexistent because people didn’t like morally grey characters but instead like green dragon = good and purple dragon = bad. The voice acting is utterly laughable when compared to three houses. The game is just genshin impact with the surplus of child units and character designs. If you want an actually fun fire emblem game then play heroes because that is what this game is but free with a possibility of a lifelong gambling addiction instead of 60 dollars for a game that is so broke for ideas that they have to have characters from games never released outside of Japan. Expand
  85. Jan 23, 2023
    Muy decepcionante, personajes aburridos, historia muy mala, y el sistema de romance tanto versión japonesa como en inglés dan terror. Se les pasó la mano.
  86. Jan 23, 2023
    Decent game plagued by bigoted localizers. The script was greatly changed, with several LGBTQ+ romantic interactions removed.
    They do not deserve your money.
  87. Feb 5, 2023
    This game is so **** bad. I have no idea how anyone could write the story and dialogue for this game and think its good.
  88. Feb 4, 2023
    Even though the strategic battle is exceptionally interesting compared to past works, the clichéd and shallow storyline ruins everything.
    As a rpg, the story needs to be the motivation for playing, and if it doesn't have that ability, at least make it bland. The thought of manipulating children like childish and clueless virtual youtubers is getting on my nerves.
  89. Feb 4, 2023
    A major step backwards in many ways. Characters are flat and display a single personality trait that they hammer into the ground. The writing is cringe - a certain death scene meant to be emotional feels more like a comedy as you have known this person for about 10 seconds and have no emotional attachment. The gameplay is strong, but this is a below average attempt from IS. Play ThreeA major step backwards in many ways. Characters are flat and display a single personality trait that they hammer into the ground. The writing is cringe - a certain death scene meant to be emotional feels more like a comedy as you have known this person for about 10 seconds and have no emotional attachment. The gameplay is strong, but this is a below average attempt from IS. Play Three Houses or an older Fire Emblem if you are looking for something more enjoyable. Expand
  90. Feb 4, 2023
    Mickey ass maps bruh I played this game for 3 hours and the nasty sus shi got me wanting to blow my brains out.
  91. Feb 4, 2023
    the vetical drawing of the game is too navie, and the plot is too bad!it’s a disaster
  92. Jan 25, 2023
    Awful. Anime is cringe as always. Turn based combat is outdated and dumb. Nintendo is Sintendo.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 105 Critic Reviews

1. Feb 8, 2023
    Fire Emblem Engage is one of Nintendo's best games in years, and a much more polished release than Fire Emblem: Three Houses which I loved. While it suffers in its story compared to recent releases, it is still an essential for tactical RPG fans. It also happens to be a gorgeous game that shines on the OLED Switch display.
  2. Feb 6, 2023
    Fire Emblem Engage is a solid entry in the franchise. It’s easily the best Fire Emblem game from the modern generation (awakening onwards). I enjoyed my time so much that I’m already returning for my second, more relaxed playthrough on maddening. It’ll take a while.
  3. Feb 6, 2023
    Fire Emblem Engage features familiar excellent gameplay with copious ways to customize your team. However, the story is rather dull, and the large roster is hurt by the limited character depth. There's plenty of tactical RPG gameplay to enjoy here, but it feels like a light step back for the series.