5.9

1. mp1
    Aug 27, 2020
    Major disadvantage of this title is huge frame rate drops, where high and constants FPS is crucial for this kind of games. Also graphics quality during race is poor, most noticeable is low resolution, race looks totally different than on advertisements in official NS shop, it's just a cheating customers...

I hope ports for other platforms are more polished than for Nintendo Switch...

I hope ports for other platforms are more polished than for Nintendo Switch... Port for NS is not worth any penny and any storage space on your Switch.
  2. Jul 24, 2020
    The cars are so hard to control, it's a chore even trying to get through a race let alone actually beating one. Not worth the time. If you want to have brainless and frustrating comedy, this is one joke of a racing game! I thought it was a glitch or a dream, but NO! It's the entire game, and yes...it's real. Unlike Rocket League (vibrant, beautiful settings, memorable soundtrack, tons ofThe cars are so hard to control, it's a chore even trying to get through a race let alone actually beating one. Not worth the time. If you want to have brainless and frustrating comedy, this is one joke of a racing game! I thought it was a glitch or a dream, but NO! It's the entire game, and yes...it's real. Unlike Rocket League (vibrant, beautiful settings, memorable soundtrack, tons of designs, amazing gameplay) GRIP has NONE of that. Only reason I bought this is because an F-Zero game isn't on the Switch...yet. LOL Expand
  3. Nov 14, 2018
    This game would have needed more time in development.
    I was really interested in how the developers solved all the gameplay problems with high speeds, wide open terrains, upside-down driving, player collisions and so on...
    This game would have needed more time in development.
    Turns out: They didn't. This game is massively unbalanced and the controls, camera, UI, physics, gamedesign, trackdesign and sound are really flawed. Pure luck decides if you win or lose. It's a bit like tossing a coin into one of those coin-based slot machines at the arcades - physics will bounce the coin around but you're mostly out of control...
    If you, like myself, enjoy fast sci-fi racing, go for "Fast RMX" instead and if you can't live without guns and rockets then stick to "Wipeout". This game would have needed another year in development and a lot more user-testing.
  4. Nov 11, 2018
    There's a lot of wasted potential in this game. Trailers make it look great, but, unfortunately, the real thing is a bit of a mess.

First, the racing is simply not great. In fact, it's borderline non-existent since the only part of any race that matters is the last few seconds. There's a boost system at the start of each race that let's you get a headstart. BUT there's no point in taking advantage of it because it will have zero effect on the race outcome. In fact, I'll often find myself sitting checking messages on my phone while the race starts because I know I'll catch up whatever I do. Cars pass you when you're boosting on a straight after nailing the previous corner, you can pass other cars after bumping off every wall. How you drive makes barely any difference to the outcome. Add to this the fact the tracks are frequently hard to make out and the seemingly random physics where hitting a curved edge sometimes stops you dead (all too frequently halfway inside the wall) and hitting a 90 degree angle sometimes launches you skywards - or vice versa. Jumps and ramps are placed around the track but all too often these ping you into something hanging overhead or into an invisible wall. Basically, just keep going in the races and hope you don't get blown up on the finish line. Whether you win or not is mostly going to come down to luck.

Then there are the non-race races. There's a battle mode where the aim is to damage the other racers - this is actually pretty fun and works well, but it;s far too easy. Then there is a quite, quite hideous kind of airtime mode that, honestly, I still don't really understand how it works. You seem to get points for how long you're in the air, but...if it's based on distance or height or tricks...I have no idea. All I know is I'll usually be in first place for most of the 'race', be told I finished 5th or 6th after crossing the finish line (at which point other racers who scored higher than me will be displayed with their points tally) before finding myself first again in the tournament table. Weird, stupid and a typical example of the total lack of polish in this game.

You can also upgrade your car. Or can you? The only upgrade in the garage is new cars, which are just there as you rank up so you forget which ones are new (they're not arranged in any order and most look pretty similar). You can unlock new tyres which make no difference to performance and are almost indistinguishable from each other and a few decals. The whole garage is basically pointless.

Finally, we have the coup de grace. After EVERY race in single player, you will be prompted FOUR times to join Nintendo Switch Online. FOUR times it comes up and FOUR times you have to cancel. After EVERY race. This takes approx. 40 seconds to get rid of. There are three races in a tournament (so two minutes per tournament) and three or more tournaments per rank (so six-plus minutes per rank). With 11 ranks, that means completing the campaign will involve ONE TO ONE AND A HALF HOURS OF YOUR PLAYTIME WILL BE SPENT CLICKING CANCEL ON THE ONLINE WINDOW.

All such a shame, because this looked like it was going to be really solid. Unless you are desperate for a racer on Switch, this is definitely one to avoid.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 11 Critic Reviews

1. Feb 1, 2019
    It offers plenty of content and variety when it comes to its game modes, but this version is far from its full potential and will rely on updates and additional elements to improve the experience, not to mention it has a high number of technical issues which need to be solved in the near future and that there are points which need more than just updates in order to make GRIP a memorable game.
  2. Jan 2, 2019
    GRIP: Combat Racing boasts exciting gameplay that is sadly held back by technical issues. It's worth a look into for fans of racers, but other folk may want to wait until a price drop.
    While GRIP isn’t perfect by any means, the game’s change of pace from my standard racing fare in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was welcome and somewhat addicting. For Nintendo Switch owners who are looking for a racing game that differs from the “kart” scene, the low-gravity and speedy thrill of GRIP is the way to go.