7.5

1. Mar 9, 2017
    I'm happy that Square Enix works with nintendo just like 25 years ago bringing this game of Ps4 for the new Nintendo console turned out to be a very good game and personally with what little I've tried I feel it's a great game.

2. Mar 15, 2017
    Great port :) perfect for play on the run with the switch !! Now I can play it everywhere :) !!! Very good JRPG :) old school but with pretty cool graphic :)
  3. Mar 5, 2017
    It's only the same game in a new console, BUT this game is amazing and a great contribution to the catalog of the new nintendo switch, that's enough to buy this game.
  4. May 1, 2017
    I am Setsuna sticks to the JRPG mold pretty tightly, and doesn't add much to the existing genre. However, the story goes above and beyond almost every other JRPG I have ever played and, arguably, has the greatest story currently available on the Nintendo Switch as of writing this review. I would definitely recommend this game to any and every JRPG fan, as well as any hardcore/indie gamersI am Setsuna sticks to the JRPG mold pretty tightly, and doesn't add much to the existing genre. However, the story goes above and beyond almost every other JRPG I have ever played and, arguably, has the greatest story currently available on the Nintendo Switch as of writing this review. I would definitely recommend this game to any and every JRPG fan, as well as any hardcore/indie gamers who haven't yet made the leap into JRPG's. However, for the $40 price tag I would strongly urge people to look into the game more, and be sure this is something you will like before making the jump. Not really a game that you can "just give a shot" to. Expand
  5. Apr 29, 2017
    This is a game that I think is perfect for the switch- I played it on the go most of the time and enjoyed the graphics, the game play and the story. Quite an easy game but plenty to do and decent amount of post game content as well. Graphics are very nice but would like more than just snow. I get it but it would have been nice for a little variation here and there. Flux system is slightlyThis is a game that I think is perfect for the switch- I played it on the go most of the time and enjoyed the graphics, the game play and the story. Quite an easy game but plenty to do and decent amount of post game content as well. Graphics are very nice but would like more than just snow. I get it but it would have been nice for a little variation here and there. Flux system is slightly annoying but minimal gripe. Would play through again someday with great pleasure. Expand
  6. May 11, 2018
    As an Rpg lover, i would recommend this to everyone because the overall story is great the reason why i gave it a 9/10 is because i felt the game was short. This game is a combination of a 1990's & modern rpg game
  7. Mar 10, 2018
    This is an amazing game that should be receiving much more credit. It’s a great throwback to old school JPRG with turn-based / ATB combat. Keep in mind that this is a budget game that may be considered short for the genre (20-30h for a casual run). Also, it has a lot of reused elements and enemies, which may get a bit boring by the ending. If the game was much longer it might not have beenThis is an amazing game that should be receiving much more credit. It’s a great throwback to old school JPRG with turn-based / ATB combat. Keep in mind that this is a budget game that may be considered short for the genre (20-30h for a casual run). Also, it has a lot of reused elements and enemies, which may get a bit boring by the ending. If the game was much longer it might not have been so good. That being said, It is my opinion that the game is well worth your time, but the current asking price, specially on the Switch, is a little steep.

Story is very good (not excellent) and the narrative does drive you to keep playing all the way to the end and find outmoded about the characters. The silent protagonist, however, is a bit too silence and dialogue options pretty much only let you be a total jerk or a kind hearted warrior, even though all other characters see you as a souless mercenary that was supposed to become good toward the end... To me, Setsuna is the true protagonist and I did feel like my role in the game was to protect this kind and naive girl, to the point that the ending was felt very emotional. I truly felt that the story was over and would have liked more of it.

Battle system is where this games shines, being very fun for me and neither too complex nor too simple. The weapons available could have been more diverse, since you pretty much just have to get the next best one. Anyway, I would love to play more of this game, with harder bosses, or even just another game that replicates it (Lost Sphear being somewhat close).

As for the aesthetics, it’s a beautiful game even with the simple designed. Only drawback is there’s just too much snow, since the beginning. Some green wouldn’t hurt you know...

All in all, this was a very good experience that was worth the ~30h I played it. Much more so than many AAA titles with amazing graphics and a 10h campaign. Definitely did not regret buying this.
  8. Jun 27, 2017
    Soy un fiero amante de los JRPG y considero que I Am Setsuna es una gran adición al catálogo de Switch. Si eres un fan de los JRPG de la época de 16 bits, vas a sentirte en casa pasando horas en este juego y si no estás familiarizado con el género, considero un buen inicio. El 8 se lo doy porque se me hace un tanto lineal y el setup invernal llega a aburrir a veces. Aún así, un buen juego.Soy un fiero amante de los JRPG y considero que I Am Setsuna es una gran adición al catálogo de Switch. Si eres un fan de los JRPG de la época de 16 bits, vas a sentirte en casa pasando horas en este juego y si no estás familiarizado con el género, considero un buen inicio. El 8 se lo doy porque se me hace un tanto lineal y el setup invernal llega a aburrir a veces. Aún así, un buen juego. :D Expand
  9. Aug 19, 2017
    Un gran juego, buenos gráficos, muy entretenido, música de piano excelente y bonita historia aunque demasiadas conversaciones, además esta semana estará con un 33% de descuento, lo que lo hace una oportunidad que no pude dejar pasar. Me ha gustado mucho aunque 40 euros me parecía demasiado, ahora está perfecto. Un 8/10.
  10. Apr 27, 2017
    I am Setsuna AKA Eskimo RPG is a wonderful little RPG and piqued my curiosity based on the fact it was published by Square Enix. The game is lovely and has an emotional level comparable to Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 4 as well as in depth character development and a unique story merged with plot twists. The main issues I have with this game start with the serious over use of snow andI am Setsuna AKA Eskimo RPG is a wonderful little RPG and piqued my curiosity based on the fact it was published by Square Enix. The game is lovely and has an emotional level comparable to Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 4 as well as in depth character development and a unique story merged with plot twists. The main issues I have with this game start with the serious over use of snow and ice scenery and end with the symbols used with the Spritenite/Talisment conjunction. The game does not explain the symbolism of the Spritenite commands combined with the flux durations in combat and other such complex mechanics of the game and instead leaves it for you to figure it out. Now don't get me wrong I enjoy figuring out a games mechanics and quirks as much as the next rpg fanatic, but a little guide on the subject would have been a welcome feature. The environment looks pretty in certain areas (if you don't mind snow, snow, and MORE snow) but lacks a certain amount of interactivity I have come to expect in most games. I do enjoy that items are sold for gold and also at the same time used as currency for the spells/abilities you purchase throughout the game. The developers could have spent a few more weeks or months polishing little aspects of the game and added a few small things that would have made it all the more enjoyable. All in all I am Setsuna is a solid JRPG and definitely worth a play through if you have not had the pleasure of doing so. Expand
  11. Oct 16, 2017
    This game is pure Nostalgia for whom enjoyed the old 8-16 bit RPG era, a Great Game I hope I'll see more from Tokyo RPG FActory.
    -Beautiful GRaphics
    -Beautiful soundtrack

Great story line - Not a long game, but It's not necessary, the message is sent although the game is short.
    Sad and Beautiful!
  12. Nov 12, 2019
    I just cant give less than 10 for a Tokyo Factory game coz i just love what they do the old school jrpg the graphics the piano music i just love. The story was better than the one of Lost Sphear atleast for me. The characater (chibi style) i just love. I think that this and Lost sphear both are game u like or hate there is no between. But definitely rec. for jrpg fans

Generally favorable reviews - based on 28 Critic Reviews

1. Jun 18, 2018
    There are better JRPGs that could be played portably on the GBA, DS, and Vita, but I Am Setsuna is the best JRPG that can currently be played on Nintendo Switch. The game isn't without its faults, though - namely the repetitive nature of environments, enemies, and bland NPCs. However, it has a powerful narrative that is driven by its backdrop and score; elements that should be greatly appreciated by all fans of the genre.
  2. NF Magazine
    Apr 24, 2017
    I Am Setsuna is plagued by a lack of ambition when it comes to several aspects of its narrative, but as a whole it's a perfect pick-up-and-play JRPG. [Issue #27 – May/June 2017, p. 22]
  3. Apr 19, 2017
    The Switch version of this nice old school JRPG runs at 30fps. Despise that, this is the best version of the game. You can play it at home or wherever you like, along with an interesting FREE DLC.