7.8

1. Jul 25, 2021
    I'm struggling to rate this game on a scale of 1-10. The gameplay itself is seamless, decisions are all impactful, there is room for a great depth of strategising and planning on behalf of the player, all of which is fantastic from a strategy game perspective. As a rogue-like, however, I find the replayability of the game less persuasive. Most of the starting builds themselves are entirelyI'm struggling to rate this game on a scale of 1-10. The gameplay itself is seamless, decisions are all impactful, there is room for a great depth of strategising and planning on behalf of the player, all of which is fantastic from a strategy game perspective. As a rogue-like, however, I find the replayability of the game less persuasive. Most of the starting builds themselves are entirely unique, which is a great positive, but the lack of diversity in upgrades and builds eventually led me to feel as though I was being shoe-horned into one specific playstyle with each starting build, particularly given the relative weakness of some builds compared to others. Some builds allowed great freedom and creativity in the ways the player was able to tackle puzzles, whilst others felt quite underequipped to deal with many of the challenges at hand, particularly low-damage high-disruption builds which rely more heavily on enemy AI and movements rather than player decisions. I enjoyed the game, but I wasn't absorbed into endless cycles of replay as I have been with other compelling rogue-likes such as Hades or Dicey Dungeons. I'd certainly recommend the game to fans of the strategy genre, but I would be hesitant to recommend it for those solely interested in picking up a new rogue-like. Expand
  2. Nov 18, 2018
    the game is ok, very playable. reminds me of advance wars and mario rabbids. the game is finished in one hour and then you're supposed to keep playing to unlock more stuff, which to me is not interesting
  3. Nov 6, 2018
    It's ok. However I would argue that it isn't a strategy game. It's a puzzle game. Strategy makes very little difference. Puzzle solving makes all the difference. I would recommend this as a 9 to puzzle gamers and a 6 to strategy gamers. so 7.5 overall?
  4. May 6, 2019
    When I started playing Into the Breach, I was expecting a tactical game. I didn't make much progress until I understood that I had to play it differently. All the people comparing this game to chess have a point. One way to describe is: a game where each move should be considered like an end-of-game chess problem. As such, Into the Breach feels like a crossover between a checkerboard gameWhen I started playing Into the Breach, I was expecting a tactical game. I didn't make much progress until I understood that I had to play it differently. All the people comparing this game to chess have a point. One way to describe is: a game where each move should be considered like an end-of-game chess problem. As such, Into the Breach feels like a crossover between a checkerboard game and a puzzle, more than a tactical game.

I read some reviews complaining that the game lacks content. I think that they're missing the point: Into the Breach lacks content in the same sense that playing checkers lacks content. It's a game that builds up something complex on top of relatively simple elements, and it works very well in that respect.

If the game's concept is up your alley, then you can add a point, or even two, to my score. What it does, this game does right. The design is tight and well-planned, with a number of challenges that look excessive until you wrap your mind around the game, and then become though but fair. I'm not a big fan of this style of gaming, but I still had fun completing Into the Breach.
  5. Dec 27, 2021
    Ok game. Nothing interesting above puzzles with 3 types of units. May be later I'll like this game, but not now.
  6. May 18, 2021
    Tried to get into this game but feel constant dying is not much of an incentive. You get punished for un-winnable situations from the moment you start. I’m sure if you have the patience there is a good game after a long grind. But for now I’m not feeling it. A game should be fun. To me this isn’t. Even though I usually do like these type of games. Still I believe if you can get past theTried to get into this game but feel constant dying is not much of an incentive. You get punished for un-winnable situations from the moment you start. I’m sure if you have the patience there is a good game after a long grind. But for now I’m not feeling it. A game should be fun. To me this isn’t. Even though I usually do like these type of games. Still I believe if you can get past the initial difficulties there is a decent game to be found. Just not as great many people would like to me believe. Expand
  7. Jul 5, 2020
    I am a big fan of RPGs and strategy games, so of course this game is right up my alley. I like all the different squads and whatnot, but the game is a little shy on content. After a while I just couldn’t be bothered to beat the same few levels over and over with different ship combos just to grind for points. If the game had more content to make the experience of unlocking everything lessI am a big fan of RPGs and strategy games, so of course this game is right up my alley. I like all the different squads and whatnot, but the game is a little shy on content. After a while I just couldn’t be bothered to beat the same few levels over and over with different ship combos just to grind for points. If the game had more content to make the experience of unlocking everything less tedious I would me inclined to give it a higher score. The gameplay itself is fantastic, though. If you like SRPGs this is a great pickup, just expect a lot of grinding if you are a completionist. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 15 Critic Reviews

1. Nintendo Force Magazine
    Aug 22, 2019
    I'm in constant awe at the sheer number of choices available and I'm always searching for that perfect move – even if it doesn't truly exist. [Issue #38 – March/April 2019, p. 19]
  2. Nov 19, 2018
    Into The Breach is a challenging turn-based strategy game that features a competent gameplay and a wide variety of levels. While it could certainly use a more elaborate plot and some more weapon tutorials, it's safe to say that this rather orthodox work will appeal to fans of strategy games looking for something that follows the genre's main tenets.
  3. Sep 27, 2018
    Into the Breach is an indispensable game for all lovers of turn-based strategy titles. With a magnificent soundtrack that will accompany us in each battle we will fight against the unstoppable Vek through continuous reboots of the timeline and different Mechas that we will unlock as we play.