5.6

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Jun 27, 2021
    THIS GAME IS ABSOLUTE TRASH.

THE BALL TRAJECTORY DOESN'T CHANGE WHEN SWITCHING CLUBS. YOU HAVE NO IDEA IF YOU ARE GOING TO CLEAR OBSTACLES OR NOT. THEY USED TO HAVE THE C-STICK TO ZOOM ACROSS THE TRAJECTORY LINE WHICH IS GONE. TAUNTING... WHICH WAS IN THE N64 AND GC GOLF GAMES IS GONE. RUSH GOLF IS ABSOLUTELY BROKEN. IF YOU'RE A SLOWER CHARACTER IT'S AN AUTOMATIC LOSS. THEY TOOK
    THIS GAME IS ABSOLUTE TRASH.

THEY USED TO HAVE THE C-STICK TO ZOOM ACROSS THE TRAJECTORY LINE WHICH IS GONE.

TAUNTING... WHICH WAS IN THE N64 AND GC GOLF GAMES IS GONE.

THEY TOOK MARIO GOLF TOADSTOOL TOUR AND GIMPED AND NERFED THE HELL OUT OF IT.
  2. Jul 1, 2021
    I created a metacritic account just for this. This game is a downgrade from the gamecube version.
    TLDR: Lost the mario golf magic, less fun, less precision, less unique and difficult courses. Not worth $90 CAD.
    -Adventure mode is too short. but was enjoyable. -Not enough courses. only 6, and the first 2 are basically the same. so 5 courses. -Courses do not have that special uniqueness
    -Adventure mode is too short. but was enjoyable.
    -Courses do not have that special uniqueness and difficulty that the other games offered.
    -The loss of viewing trajectory really hampers the enjoyment of lining up really difficult shots, But there aren't many of those difficult situations on these courses anyways.
    -The new curve mechanic has potential, you can curve more, but it's less precise and reliable.
    -The main characters have surprisingly weak stats. (referring to super backspin not doing much and not many curve bars)
    -Why no taunting? it's was a fun little feature in the last ones.
    -No super top spin
  3. Jun 30, 2021
    Eeeesh where to even start, when it's regular golf it's fine but the other game modes suck, cross country golf is glitchy frustrating and overall not enjoyable, speed golf is more of the same, don't care for the course layouts as there's alot of glitchy areas that you or your ball can fall into and then you're screwed as some of the modes you only have a certain amount of time to finish aEeeesh where to even start, when it's regular golf it's fine but the other game modes suck, cross country golf is glitchy frustrating and overall not enjoyable, speed golf is more of the same, don't care for the course layouts as there's alot of glitchy areas that you or your ball can fall into and then you're screwed as some of the modes you only have a certain amount of time to finish a hole, you can't see the trajectory of your shot either before or after you hit the ball as in most game modes it just goes right to your character which makes it difficult to fix or strategize shots idk where to find the degree of elevation just tells you up or down so you hit to a green you think is a little uphill just to find its on a damn mountain, now your ball is nestled right up against said mountain leaving you nowhere to hit the ball (apparently you need to purchase a range finder like real golf in a game that's furthest from real golf as possible) PGA 2k doesn't even require that, when you finally make it to a green blue is uphill and red is downhill which is reversed in most golf games, the putting grid is too jumbled making it difficult to see breaks, almost seems rushed and like did anyone play this game before they released it? def dissapointing, but I paid for it and gonna continue playing it in hopes I can get used to it and maybe that'll make it a more fun experience, oh and you can only carry 7 clubs cause if you take more you lose speed running and then won't make the time limit for the hole, what fun! Much rather play any previous Mario golf games, hot shots golf/everybody's golf, pangya or Swing Away golf before this. There's more issues but this is all the time I want to spend on this review Expand
  4. Jul 14, 2021
    Giving this game a 4 simply out of disappointment and poor value for money. To top it off it simply isn't fun, they have this big emphasis on "speed golf" now which basically reduces the game of golf down to a rushed experience where you run around chasing after a few coins and you got some stamina bar to deal with. The actual golf is about as watered down as possible, no real emphasis onGiving this game a 4 simply out of disappointment and poor value for money. To top it off it simply isn't fun, they have this big emphasis on "speed golf" now which basically reduces the game of golf down to a rushed experience where you run around chasing after a few coins and you got some stamina bar to deal with. The actual golf is about as watered down as possible, no real emphasis on setting up your shot which is the best part of playing golf games, it's more of a luck based experience with you trying to watch a bar and press A at the right time, the luck aspect is due to the "danger zone" mechanic where your strong swings are likely to make your ball curve in one direction or the other.

The adventure mode is the main single player experience and that is basically a drawn out tutorial for a while where you can only play as a Mii character. Eventually it becomes a deeper experience with some stat building, but honestly it feels like it harks back to a Wii era title, like more of an expansion to the Wii Sports era golfing experience than what I would expect from a Mario Golf title.

So it's got some charm giving it some bonus points, but honestly this is probably one of the worst golf games I have played in recent years. Just a very disappointing experience.
  5. Jul 6, 2021
    I'm so dissapointed, really wanted this game to be good. The core swing mechanics are fine, but everything else is turdballs. It looks dreadful, the campaign is boring and speed golf isn't a fun activity. Taking your time to plan the perfect shot is what's fun about golf. And worst of all it lkacks any of that Mario/Nintendo magic.
  6. Oct 5, 2021
    Upon this game Nintendo company deserve they financial equal zero .... I will show them they way never ever buy Nintendo game
  7. Jul 13, 2021
    If you've played any other recent sports series game from Nintendo, you know what to expect here. They took something sports, made it bad, added gimmicks for kids, and then tacked on a top shelf price tag. The physics aren't good, the gameplay is boring even for golf, and the modes are just obnoxious. Adventure mode is just really annoying. So much time is wasted running. Running aroundIf you've played any other recent sports series game from Nintendo, you know what to expect here. They took something sports, made it bad, added gimmicks for kids, and then tacked on a top shelf price tag. The physics aren't good, the gameplay is boring even for golf, and the modes are just obnoxious. Adventure mode is just really annoying. So much time is wasted running. Running around the maps, running around the links, just lots of running. The load times are a bit much for how little is here and you get really sick of watching CPU players play through a hole and either get hole in ones and birdies or 6-8 strokes on a hole that takes them forever to complete. You can't skip CPU players, you have to watch them.

I really miss Mario Golf Toadstool Tour. I played that a lot and it was one of Nintendo's best sports titles but instead of modernizing that, they continued their Mario Sports trash series where the gimmicks are 90% of the game and everything that makes the sport what it is, is just not good.

I can't enjoy this, definitely can't play this for longer than 20 minutes without being bored or annoyed so I can't say how much is here but it feels empty. Is 2 harsh? Maybe, but I really did love Nintendo's sports titles back in the Gamecube generation. Even GBA had some decent titles but come on Nintendo, if you're going to make a sports game start with a good sports game. You can still do gimmicks but give me something I want to come back to.
  8. Sep 29, 2021
    idk i guess it has potential? i only got it recently but i've pulled a muscle in my shoulder playing it because it takes so much effort to hit it if you're using motion controls. speaking of the motion controls they are absolutely **** i didn't really expect better since it IS a switch game and joycons have always had **** motion controls, but it shouldn't take me an extra 20 seconds inidk i guess it has potential? i only got it recently but i've pulled a muscle in my shoulder playing it because it takes so much effort to hit it if you're using motion controls. speaking of the motion controls they are absolutely **** i didn't really expect better since it IS a switch game and joycons have always had **** motion controls, but it shouldn't take me an extra 20 seconds in SPEED MODE to hit the ball. half the time it wont hit the ball till ive swung 20 times, other times it thinks the joycon is pointed out when ive got it 180 degree angle down. and again, it shouldn't be this hard to hit a ball at full power. sute i'm just a weaker bodied adult but think of the kids. kids arent as strong as you. they could end up hurting their muscles from swinging so hard too. and as others have added, content is brief and eventually boring unless you play this big long mii story mode thing which... is boring. if im being dead honest its boring. not worth the play if anyone reading's considering it. Expand
  9. Aug 30, 2021
    I have absolutely no idea what is going on over at Nintendo but this...it ain't it champ. What an empty game. Mechanics are boring and the game is far too easy. AI is a joke. The multiplayer is atrocious. What is even the point. The most money I have wasted in quite a while. If it ever gets better will update. But at the moment I cannot in good faith recommend this game to anybody at the moment.
  10. Oct 24, 2021
    I was very disappointed at this game. Years I was waiting for a good new Mario Golf and when it finally came to be it was a half-assed games-as-a -service attempt. You barely have any content asides from a mediocre RPG-single player story mode and you can't even level up your Mii outside the story with Stroke plays and such. Heck you don't even have a tournament mode.
    There was hardly
    There was hardly anything to unlock like Characters via Matchplay or gaining points by doing Tournaments to unlock new course. We don't have Ring shot or Minigolf as well. Sure I'm glad we also didn't get Slot Golf but I would hardly call this a game whatsoever. This is just another example of how Nintendo fails to make a good game for not taking it serious enough because it isn't a mobile money machine.
    Further WHY THE HECK MAKE BALL CONTROL RANDOM NOW? in older installments you had to have some kind of skill to make sure the Ball fly's straight and where you want it to land but noooooo this time it has to be random, prolly to better appease casual players but even back then, all you had to do is time you button press well to get the optimal control what's so hard about that that casual players need to be pampered with randomness to not be overwhelmed. This game could have been good but with such a development failure of course it will sell even worse once word got out and puts in the final nail in the coffin for this "unrentable" franchise. If your a company that long on the market you should feel an obligation to maintain your franchises good standing for at least every "Generation" your on the market, even if it isn't the big selling product but for keeping a positive image and to have continues relevance. There is always a smaller but passionate market that you shouldn't sour your relation towards.
  11. Oct 11, 2021
    wiki anchored text

https://www.wikipedia.org/ THE BALL TRAJECTORY DOESN'T CHANGE WHEN SWITCHING CLUBS. YOU HAVE NO IDEA IF YOU ARE GOING TO CLEAR OBSTACLES OR NOT. THEY USED TO HAVE THE C-STICK TO ZOOM ACROSS THE TRAJECTORY LINE WHICH IS GONE. TAUNTING... WHICH WAS IN THE N64 AND GC GOLF GAMES IS GONE. RUSH GOLF IS ABSOLUTELY BROKEN. IF YOU'RE A SLOWER CHARACTER IT'S AN AUTOMATIC
    wiki anchored text

12. Nov 13, 2021
    Absolutely awful compared to the N64 version that I played as a kid. There wasn’t a single redeeming feature. The swing mechanics are so basic that it’s impossible to hit a bad shot, drives go the same distance no matter what you do, you can get backspin out of the rough, clubs selection seems to make no difference. It bears zero resemblance to golf at all. The worst part had to be the inAbsolutely awful compared to the N64 version that I played as a kid. There wasn’t a single redeeming feature. The swing mechanics are so basic that it’s impossible to hit a bad shot, drives go the same distance no matter what you do, you can get backspin out of the rough, clubs selection seems to make no difference. It bears zero resemblance to golf at all. The worst part had to be the in game match play though, where my opponent holed out from the fairway no less than 5 times in one round! They were at least 15 under for 12 holes when the match finished… an embarrassing game & a waste of £50. Played once and will never do so again . Expand
  13. Jul 11, 2021
    Mario Golf: Super Rush is an empty husk of a game and the epitome of Nintendo's long and relentless journey towards making all of their games as soulless as possible.

The adventure mode is horrendously bland and pointless, it's linear to the point where you question why they even put all the time and effort into making it if all you do is travel from A to B to C and play the same courses over and over. The only things to do besides playing courses to reach the extremely anticlimactic ending is: talk to nameless Mario brand characters who say words, all of which are instantly forgotten, play practice missions which actually teach you some techniques but at the cost of doing them over and over until you memorize how to hit the shots as wanted, or buy gear at the stores which are completely useless unless they are the gear for the specific course you are about to play next in the plot. Speaking of plot, the story is eye-wateringly contrived and miserable. You drift apart from the only friends you have in the world to follow the whims of some nameless god in order to beat some sort of evil snow thing, but it really doesn't matter, by the end you will have forgotten why you did any of this and you are rewarded with nothing beyond some text on the screen trying to convince you that you did something meaningful, but you have not.

The golf is almost fine but still manages to be bad. The accuracy for each shot is not only randomly determined but also predetermined, so you get the worst of all worlds. You can't know how your shot's accuracy will line up when you hit it, but if you restart the match, now you do. Scoring a birdie/eagle/albatross/hole in one is rewarded with your character doing a spin and smiling or something, there are only two animations and neither are that congratulatory. This actually lines up pretty well with the fact that if you are running on the course, you will not be able to see any impressive shots you make, and there are no replays. If a ball falls into a hole and no one is there to see it, does it even matter? The accuracy shift, the redline of the shots, also doesn't matter. The wind hardly matters. Club choice depending on terrain doesn't matter. Just hit the ball to the next spot so that you can hit the ball to the next spot.

This is a bad video game and no one should play it. Actually, it's worse than that. It's a competently made video game that has no point in existing, other than to cause distress and regret. I write this review to try to cope with the fact that I spent sixty dollars to play an awful golf game by the developers who made Advanced Tour.
  14. Jun 26, 2021
    I want to preface this with saying I’m a big Toadstool Tour fan. I love how much personality the characters have with their animations and the silly things you can make them say. I love the level of control and accuracy you have that’s easy to understand and figure out. You’re able to control where on the ball you hit and able to put a topspin or backspin or even stronger variants. SuperI want to preface this with saying I’m a big Toadstool Tour fan. I love how much personality the characters have with their animations and the silly things you can make them say. I love the level of control and accuracy you have that’s easy to understand and figure out. You’re able to control where on the ball you hit and able to put a topspin or backspin or even stronger variants. Super shots felt important and needed to be managed carefully. The aim of your shots are easy to figure out because you can follow the path of the shot and change it depending on the whole arc, giving fantastic control to the player.

Super Rush falls short of every single one of these. Character animations are practically dead and there’s no way to make snarky comments when others are shooting. The time I spent with the game I tried to parse how to simply put a backspin on my shot, and the game just doesn’t tell you anything. The game pretends to give you control over putting a spin on the ball, but then rng kicks in and it’ll change what your spin is regardless of your input. Different clubs don’t seem to change shot arcs but instead just change distance, something you can already do with any club. Aiming is an absolute mess, your only tools are a birds eye view that doesn’t show depth at all and a “first person” aiming mode that barely controls at all.

I would comment on the extra modes, but with how the game controls on the basest levels it just isn’t worth even getting into them. There’s a few neat multiplayer ideas but the single player possibilities are so sparse compared to the tournaments and challenges of older games. It’s to such an extent I don’t think the game could get course corrected even with patches, something that shouldn’t even be a requirement to ask for. As much as I want a good new Mario Golf game, this isn’t it. I’d recommend finding a copy of Toadstool Tour instead.
  15. Jun 29, 2021
    A shallow hollow imitation of the Mario Golf gameplay. The new swing system not only removes the timing based aspect of the game. It also removes any real penalty for making a bad shot.

Stuck in some sand? Crack out the 1 Wood and smack it to the green, no problem. The whole concept is built on a risk/reward system but it simply doesn't work. The risk is microscopic and the reward is huge.

People defending this gameplay mechanic, heck, I even defended it at one point. It's not worth defending. It basically removes the whole point of golf, it removes learning the clubs, knowing how to handle each situation. It's all gone. You just smack it and hope for the best. The game simply wont allow you to mess up. It's the worst thing to possibly happen to Mario Golf cos it ruins every single aspect of the game. The skill element, the planning element, the timing, the importance of each club, it's all gone. if you think I'm exaggerating, you haven't played the game enough, or haven't dared to experiment. The only thing that comes out unscathed really is the putting.

At the most it's a system you can tolerate but I highly doubt people familiar with the series can honestly say this is the right direction for the series. And it's not just me. My dad bought a Switch JUST for this game cos he loves the series so much. And after a day, he was saying he's thinking of selling it. He's 60 and even he hates it, it's sad.

I can't believe how much they messed up Mario Golf here. It's a shallow, hollow shell of a game and I reckon it'll forgotten about by most in a month or two. And top it all off, it barely has any content or side modes. No ring shot, club slots, challenges, vs matches, win records, leaderboards. Nothing. it's almost comparable to Mario Tennis Ultra Smash and that's just sad.

The worst Mario Golf game.
  16. Jun 27, 2021
    I've been playing this since launch.I have been waiting for this game forever. I have to say this game is the worst in the series the game mechanic are watered down.They think people just want to chase the ball around or something.Disapponting to see such a beloved franchised get shafted by nintendo.
  17. Jun 27, 2021
    I miss the times when Nintendo released finished games. This game works, but it's bland. It just feels like they didn't have the budget to make a really good new golf entry, which is such a bummer. Releasing free DLC over time just doesn't work for me.
  18. Jun 28, 2021
    What a downgrade... Take everything you know and love about other mario golf titles and remove the creativity and fun. What you're left with is the generic, sterile, and boring golf game I've ever played. It feels more like wii sports golf with added mario characters.
  19. Jun 28, 2021
    Truly a waste of 60 USD
    I would say wait til this game goes on deep discount but nintendo 1st party games never do
    This game fails at being a fun golf game or a competent golf game. Some how the developers made a game that lacks as much fun of a PGA on a Sunday after or the seriousness of a Golf with your Friend tournament. They could have done a Golf With Your Friends silly game or a
    Truly a waste of 60 USD
    This game fails at being a fun golf game or a competent golf game.
    They could have done a Golf With Your Friends silly game or a serious PGA golf game. But they failed at both. They pin marker is never right, the trees suck the speed and velocity out of any ball that comes near them, there are no fun short cuts or hole in ones yet they want you to hit up a cliff using a tornado. With Mario Tennis you had serious tennis and power up tennis with Mario Golf you someone don't get ether.
    Nintendo should apologize to consumers who purchased this crapfest
  20. Jul 9, 2021
    I got drunk and paid $60 for another mobile quality game from Nintendo because I'm a moron. Nintendo games are overpriced trash, god bless em
  21. Jun 28, 2021
    This is NOT Mario Golf. This is some wacky a** BS. I purchased this game thinking it would be anything like the past renditions of Mario Golf. It's not. They give you like 5 courses to play. There's an adventure mode, but the tournaments and actual game play is anything but golf. They give you random weird tasks that have nothing really to do with a real game of golf. Whoever thoughtThis is NOT Mario Golf. This is some wacky a** BS. I purchased this game thinking it would be anything like the past renditions of Mario Golf. It's not. They give you like 5 courses to play. There's an adventure mode, but the tournaments and actual game play is anything but golf. They give you random weird tasks that have nothing really to do with a real game of golf. Whoever thought adding tornadoes to a course as a means of elevating from one level of the course to another should be fired. The level design there is extremely flawed.. The game sucks, simply put. I wasted my money on it. Thankfully I purchased the physical version so I can at least get some money back from it by selling it to Gamestop so they can sell it to some other unfortunate soul. Very disappointed in this game and I am very disappointed that they even allowed this game to be a part of the Mario series with how low quality crap this is. I WOULD NOT recommending purchasing unless you want to be extremely disappointed. Expand
  22. Jun 30, 2021
    If I could describe this title in one word it would be LAZY. Do not buy this game, it is a thinly veiled cash grab. If you do not read the rest of this review, take nothing else away from it than this. DO NOT BUY.

Like so many other classic Nintendo titles this one has been gutted and replaced with a pathetic product. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that the N64 Mario Golf is a better game in every single way. Below is a brief breakdown of the key points of the game I feel are relevant to anyone thinking about buying.

Mechanics/Gameplay -

Very similar to what they have done with games like Mario Party and Mario Tennis. The gameplay is worse and less intuitive than the N64 title. No top down view or zoom in brackets. Not enough maps. Extremely short with very little hours of content to play. Basically it is only entertaining if you have a friend to play with. The rangefinder is barely functional and it moves around frantically because the Joycons drift is so bad. The shot gauge is improved in some ways, but modified to make it extremely easy. You can chip out of bunkers with a 1 wood. It's bad. Story mode is as confusing and ridiculous as it is short. The speed golf modes are ridiculous and in some ways insulting to the consumer and the sport of golf. It is almost as if Nintendo finds that golf is now "too boring" for people these days, and they need to throw in useless ADHD game modes that nobody will play instead of making a functional golf game that is both fun and challenging with a good single player mode. Oh and also you can't play 4 player local because....reasons?

Graphics/Visuals -

Graphics look like they copy and pasted the character models from Mario party and put (some of) them in golf clothing. The character design is lazy and unfinished. The actual environments themselves are okay looking, but in some instances horrible. The water in the Ridgewatch Lake is laughable and the fact that it was allowed in the game shows just how low Nintendo's QC has sunk in recent years. There were a few nice touches here and there (the birds and sheep on the course) but even the details on the sideline are shamelessly bad. The "spectators" look like an intern copy pasted the same group of generic koopas and goombas randomly through out the course. The environments are genuinely less interesting than Mario Golf 64, and the graphics considering the time the 64 title was released are vastly inferior.

Music/Sound -

Perhaps the weakest single point about the game. SFX noises are generic and background noises
    are lacking and forgettable. The character noises are the worst they have ever been and features such as being able to say "Four" have been removed when they existed in the 64 version. Wait you're saying this game has less features than a game released 20 years ago?? The score is absolutely unbearable. Thankfully they allow you to turn it off during the match, but man they should just let you turn it off while in the menu as well. Generic and uninspired garbage. Nothing like the 64 OST which was incredible. Remember when Nintendo gave a crap about making music that was good for their games? Hahaha good times.

This game is proof positive that laziness, complacency and just downright stupidity is thriving at Nintendo. Anyone at Nintendo who was involved with this release who is reading this should feel ashamed. I feel burned after this, at a time when I was starting to trust the brand again. I just wish that they still put charm, character and love into their games like they used to. I'm not even mad, I'm just sad. Mario Golf 64 was a work of art. This is a soulless husk. If I did my job the way Nintendo executed this release I would be fired.
  23. Jun 26, 2021
    am really hating the UI in this game compared to Toadstool Tour. It feels like I have no information on how my shot is going to aim. Gone is the ability to see your shot's entire flight path, the ability to angle your shot BEFORE you swing so you can tell if it's going to clear a tree, or even the simple ability to just move the camera to different angles and distances. You just have noam really hating the UI in this game compared to Toadstool Tour. It feels like I have no information on how my shot is going to aim. Gone is the ability to see your shot's entire flight path, the ability to angle your shot BEFORE you swing so you can tell if it's going to clear a tree, or even the simple ability to just move the camera to different angles and distances. You just have no real control over the camera to speak of so it all feels like a guessing game.

I don't understand the point of the scanner / range finder either, as it doesn't even let me set a marker on the power bar as to where to stop in order to hit where i want to aim... unlike to TT where you could set markers on the bar to indicate precisely where you wanted to aim. I can't think of a single use for the scanner except checking the topography of where I'm going to land.

I like that you can change the flight curve mid-air, but I don't see how that's useful when I can't see the flight path before swinging to know if my actions are going to be effective or not.

They took out manual and forced all shots to be automatic shots, so it's like I there is little reward for skilled play. Also, the whole gimmick with the top of the power bar causing your shots to go wild just feels like punishing me, especially as without interesting courses, the only real "strategy" is to just drive as far as you can until you're putting on the green.

Almost all the maps are extremely boring and offer no interesting diverging paths. It's just standard, uninspired golf the entire time.

The new additions are neat, like the special clubs and shots, but the horribly stripped UI that makes it extremely hard, if not impossible, to plan precise shots along with the CONTINUED refusal to add mini golf back in and the lack of actual content has made this a real bummer for me. This game feels much more like a golf simulation than an arcade game - and I don't play mario sports games for a simulated difficulty - I play them for wacky over the top environments and plays that would be nearly impossible irl.

I can't recommend playing this until after they add more content, and even then it's not a sure thing. Just don't be like me and buy it physically so you can at least sell it or return it.
  24. Jun 28, 2021
    This game is completely underwhelming on every level. It’s a shame Nintendo released this game, feels like something you’d play on Facebook. Basically everything this series stands for has been removed or tweaked for the worse. Cannot recommend to pass on buying this more.
  25. Jun 29, 2021
    This like 1/2 a game. Maybe not even that much. Barely any content for $60. Worst Mario Golf game yet
  26. Jun 30, 2021
    This game didn't exceed any expectations. It looks nice visually at most, not surprising from Camelot. But on every other aspect, the game didn't meet the expectations from the gamecube game, which was the last home console mario golf game. You would think Camelot would've tried to make it the next best golf game just like Tennis Aces is their most successful Tennis game (in terms ofThis game didn't exceed any expectations. It looks nice visually at most, not surprising from Camelot. But on every other aspect, the game didn't meet the expectations from the gamecube game, which was the last home console mario golf game. You would think Camelot would've tried to make it the next best golf game just like Tennis Aces is their most successful Tennis game (in terms of sales, it surpassed 3 million), but sadly this game is basically just testing grounds for other type of games, like for a return of Golden Sun or something. Basically they focused too much on making a pretty game that failed to meet and exceed expectations from the last decent Mario Golf game we can remember. Hopefully fans can get the Tennis Aces of Golf one day, because this game ain't it. Expand
  27. Jun 28, 2021
  28. Jun 30, 2021
    Would never recommend this game to ANYONE, if u wanna buy a sports game, just get mario tennis ACES that game is way better and funner than this pile of garbage waste dump
  29. Jun 28, 2021
    I was REALLY excited for this game. After playing Toadstool Tour for nearly 18 years(!), my friends and I were ready for another title in the MG series to play for the next 2 decades. TT was a wonderful balance of gameplay, strategy, and of course, Mushroom Kingdom wackiness.

Sadly... Mario Golf: Super Rush is NOT Toadstool Tour. The combination of my high expectations and nostalgia for the GameCube classic really affected my ability to enjoy this game. I realize that isn't fair to the developers of MGSR, as this is a NEW game with NEW gameplay modes, but if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Mario Golf Super Rush seems to suffer from an identity crisis. It feels too complicated for casual gamers, but too rigid for serious competitors (IMO). There's an 'RPG' mode, but the NPCs have nothing to say, the locations are sparse, and the story is snooze. You've got every Mario character ever to choose from and the 'Head Coach' is just named 'Head Coach'? Why not let Yoshi guide you through the adventure? Why is 'Birdo' your 'mama'? Why do you even need to 'rest'? It feels lazy and incomplete.

Speed Golf is admittedly fun, and the network play enhances it greatly because the local AI is atrocious.

One of my major gripes is that they got rid of replays... REPLAYS! I understand that they wouldn't work in speed or battle golf... but why take them out of single or multiplayer local play? Also, you can't see the trajectory of the ball / the trajectory never changes as you change clubs. This makes it really difficult to know the flight path of your shot when you're aiming at the tornados in XC mode, or simply trying to curve around trees. Why?!

I'm sure I'll learn to love it more (or at least LIKE it), and am excited to play online with my friends now that we're grown and have families of our own. Super Rush could have been great, but it's not.
  30. Jun 26, 2021
    The entire game is an overhauled version of Wii Sports Golf with Mario characters pasted in. Gone is the ability to camera zoom to and from the hole which is present (and necessary) in almost every golf game on the market since 1998. Gone is the ability to see where your ball will land after "curving" a shot, and the game itself doesn't even seem to care as you're taken out of the view ofThe entire game is an overhauled version of Wii Sports Golf with Mario characters pasted in. Gone is the ability to camera zoom to and from the hole which is present (and necessary) in almost every golf game on the market since 1998. Gone is the ability to see where your ball will land after "curving" a shot, and the game itself doesn't even seem to care as you're taken out of the view of your ball flying so you can "run" to its location before you've even seen where the ball ends up.

It's nearly impossible to tell which direction the ground slopes. The putting indicators are all bunched together on the grid so every putt is basically a guessing game. But hey, the point isn't golf; it's about running around the bleak and uninteresting golf course! Actual golf is pretty clearly an afterthought here.

I can't adequately express my disappointment after waiting nearly two decades for the sequel to Toadstool Tour. Do yourself a favor and either go back and play that game or pick up Everybody's Golf for the PS4. They're both clearly superior in every measurable way. It's not often that Nintendo fails this badly on a Mario IP, but maybe they'll be able to pull it together for the next iteration by 2035.
  31. Jun 27, 2021
    This game is a good game, a fun game and a good Mario game, but:
    This game is a good game, a fun game and a good Mario game, but:
    If you wonder why the scores are so bad is because is obviously a half game, like pokemon SwSh when it went out, like AC, like Mario Party Switch. If the game gets popular and sells a bunch of million it will be updated a few times making it 30-40% bigger and making your 60 dollars or wathever worth it, if not, is border line a beautiful indie game full price
    They most likely have killed this game like they killed Mario Party on release because of that, Pokemon was lucky to be on the peak of popularity worldwide cause of Pokemon Go, and Pokemon TCG, if not would have been one of the worst release on the series ( is today the best seller)
    So im gonna bomb this review for Nintendo to stop this **** system, please don’t do this to Zelda 2
  32. Jun 27, 2021
    This was one of my most anticipated games for Switch. Mario Golf World Tour on the 3DS is my favorite golf game ever. After Nintendo skipped the WiiU for Mario Golf i was sure the Switch version would at least meet if not surpass World Tour. Well, it doesn't even come close in any category to World Tour. This is one of the biggest disappointments ever for me. What has happened to CamelotThis was one of my most anticipated games for Switch. Mario Golf World Tour on the 3DS is my favorite golf game ever. After Nintendo skipped the WiiU for Mario Golf i was sure the Switch version would at least meet if not surpass World Tour. Well, it doesn't even come close in any category to World Tour. This is one of the biggest disappointments ever for me. What has happened to Camelot Software Planning? I'd rather go back and play N64 Mario Golf, Toadstool Tour and even Advance Tour over this. First Everybody's Golf sucked, then Tennis Aces sucked, then EA bought Metalhead Software (Super Mega Baseball franchise) so they'll suck going forward and now this...what the heck has happened to arcade style sports games? Also, it's crazy that Golf Story is the best golf game to come out in 7 years on any system. If you haven't played it do yourself a favor and buy it. Expand
  33. Jul 1, 2021
    its just really lacking in so many places that Toadstool Tour on the Gamecube did well
    and that game is almost a decade old
    pretty much every course just feels like a regular golf course with so little Mario pizazz the range finder is not an enjoyable mechanic, just let me see the arc of the shot having RNG on shots is really annoying, even if you stay out of the red zone there's still
    and that game is almost a decade old
    having RNG on shots is really annoying, even if you stay out of the red zone there's still a chance your shot does not do what you want it to do
    the game would look ok if the textures weren't so bad
    i miss the taunts and the different victory/loss animations for each character from Toadstool Tour
    why do they not remove the pin from the hole when i'm putting, seriously why
    outside of these complaints the game is generally fine, speed golf is kinda neat but in a lot of ways it feels like normal golf suffered for a side mode
    i do like the outfits for all the characters
    overall the game isn't BAD necessarily, but it's disappointing in a lot of ways
    feels more like Wii Sports golf than Mario Golf, y'know?
    not worth $60 imo
    maybe the free updates will change that but i wouldn't bet on it
    6/10 pauline has some FAT honkers like holy moly
  34. Jun 28, 2021
    unfinished. only 6 courses. annoying character noises. Ridgerock Lake is a joke. SUPER RUSH game .
  35. Jun 29, 2021
    There is barely a decent golf game buried under some of the most aggravating mechanics I've ever seen in my life. In Cross Country Golf you have to plan your path carefully to avoid spending the whole game trying to shoot up a cliff wall. When you plan it carefully there are obstacles that frequently put you in a stalemate. Hole on an island? Land the shot perfectly and spend the restThere is barely a decent golf game buried under some of the most aggravating mechanics I've ever seen in my life. In Cross Country Golf you have to plan your path carefully to avoid spending the whole game trying to shoot up a cliff wall. When you plan it carefully there are obstacles that frequently put you in a stalemate. Hole on an island? Land the shot perfectly and spend the rest of the game trying to cross the bridge to the island only to have a cloud blow you off while assigning a penalty stroke every 2 minutes you spend hopelessly trying to reach your ball. Clearly, I should run around the entire course and go the back way! Nope, screw you for playing this game we're going to make unscalable cliff walls around the barrier and another cloud pushing you back in the only other path to the ball. Oh you were 8 shots under par and right next to the hole? Wow, sucks to be you. Thanks for the $60 schmuck! Wait here while we slowly fail you on your best game. Stalemates are lazy game development. At least let me skip the stupid stuff so I can enjoy the rest of the game. I appreciate all the corny Mario nonsense, but primarily I want to play golf. When getting to my ball becomes the biggest challenge it ceases to be a golf game. Please save your money. At best it's criminally greedy to charge $60 for this half-baked nonsense, but at worst it's probably a big waste at any price. Play it at a friend's house first. You probably don't want to buy it without playing it first. Expand
  36. Jun 29, 2021
    Mario golf has a shining lack of playability mechanics. one button shot and spin, that's all. it's a joke that they use Mario's name like Nintendo does to sell and present a rubbish so that a guy I've seen in the Polygon press says it's the best sports game, such analyses need to be reviewed, because people who read these things will buy the game and then how do they get their money back?Mario golf has a shining lack of playability mechanics. one button shot and spin, that's all. it's a joke that they use Mario's name like Nintendo does to sell and present a rubbish so that a guy I've seen in the Polygon press says it's the best sports game, such analyses need to be reviewed, because people who read these things will buy the game and then how do they get their money back? . I've wasted my time and money. A game like neo turf masters from more than 20 years ago beats the hell out of Mario golf. A big disappointment but of a game I was looking forward to for a long time. Expand
  37. Jul 1, 2021
    Very lazily made game. Camelot did a bad job with Mario Tennis in that it didn't feel like a tennis game, and they did the same with this. It's BARELY golf given all the extra running around nonsense type stuff in there.
    The only saving grace is that playing with friends online is fun, but if you're not planning on doing that very often then don't waste your money on this.
  38. Jun 29, 2021
    This is the first time I'm playing a Mario Golf game. I have played other golf games before but Mario Golf: Super Rush is not good. You have no real control of how the ball is going to be played. Everything feels random. And when you are close to the hole, it's so difficult to see where your ball will go due to the blue lines that are shown. There are no options to turn this off. And GolfThis is the first time I'm playing a Mario Golf game. I have played other golf games before but Mario Golf: Super Rush is not good. You have no real control of how the ball is going to be played. Everything feels random. And when you are close to the hole, it's so difficult to see where your ball will go due to the blue lines that are shown. There are no options to turn this off. And Golf Rush and Battle Mode feel random too, the AI is so much faster than you that it makes no fun at all. This game could be fun as a party game with other players but alone it feels boring and unfair. I am missing Nintendo's polish in this game. I regret buying Mario Golf for $60, it's not worth it at all, probably more like $30 due to the lack of content. It's very disappointing what Nintendo has released as a full price game. Don't buy it at this price. Expand
  39. Jul 8, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mario Golf Super Rush lives up to the last part of its name Super Rush as it feels super rushed and it feels like Nintendo purposely cut characters who have full in game models and audio (Birdo and Toadette) just so they could release them later on as "DLC". The story mode or should I say tutorial was bland and boring I expecting to take part in some tournaments but nope that doesn't happen instead they tease you at the beginning by showing Mario winning a big tournament but do you face him in a tournament? nope you go through a story mode consisting of learning different shots like putting for example and you help Bowser who's being treated as a hero in this game (No seriously) defeat the Snow King in the easiest battle ever hell getting to the battle was more challenging than actually facing him.

The controls for the most part are simple enough and for those who like motion controls they have those too but the smooth controls don't make up for a lack of content there's like 5 courses and none of them feel unique, the roster was shallow as hell with only 8 characters total not counting your Mii which you can unlock for regular play by beating the story mode.

all in all I don't recommend this title to anyone at this time I mean it was fun for awhile but it got dull real fast save your cash and either wait for a sale or until Nintendo drops any DLC
  40. Jul 7, 2021
    This is the worst game ever when it comes to Adventure mode. The controls, the horrible text that keeps going and going, the difficulty when it comes to XC mode, it's all ridiculous. I can't believe Nintendo would release such a piece of trash. DO NOT waste your money on this if you expect to play single player. It may be somewhat enjoyable with a friend or two, but not if you plan onThis is the worst game ever when it comes to Adventure mode. The controls, the horrible text that keeps going and going, the difficulty when it comes to XC mode, it's all ridiculous. I can't believe Nintendo would release such a piece of trash. DO NOT waste your money on this if you expect to play single player. It may be somewhat enjoyable with a friend or two, but not if you plan on playing solo.

It's not a golf game when you have to plan your shots for tornados just to reach another level and get to the pin. Whoever decided this was a good idea needs fired. They've officially ruined Mario golf.
  41. Jul 24, 2021
    This game was honestly no short of a disappointment. Speed Golf looked fun and it is, but there is barely any strategy to this game. You can be the bunker and still use the driver for the most effective shot. Makes no sense. The content in this game is no joke Mario Tennis Ultra Smash ALL OVER AGAIN. You have three modes: Golf, where you play normal golf or Speed Golf. Adventure, MarioThis game was honestly no short of a disappointment. Speed Golf looked fun and it is, but there is barely any strategy to this game. You can be the bunker and still use the driver for the most effective shot. Makes no sense. The content in this game is no joke Mario Tennis Ultra Smash ALL OVER AGAIN. You have three modes: Golf, where you play normal golf or Speed Golf. Adventure, Mario Golf's single player campaign. And Solo Challenges, basically just small shot challenges. That's it.

In conclusion: You can get ANY other Mario Golf game and still have more fulfilling fun, get the N64 game or get the most recent and BETTER World Tour for the 3DS which has everything this game has besides Speed Golf but the game is honestly so much more fun and has so much personality. DON'T get this game. Spare the money and grab something better.
  42. Aug 7, 2021
    This is the worst mario game i have seen by far. The graphics are just horrible, They couldnt choose between mario world and real world. The controls are absolute **** They messed up at every front. Good lord try out the adventure mode. Pure cring fest. The whole team should be fired on the spot.
  43. Jul 12, 2021
    Probably the laziest "Nintendo" and "Mario" branded product I've ever bought.

In its current state (no updates released yet), I would say it's at the "shareware" level. If this game had been given away for free to NSO users it might have been acceptable, but as a $60 product it's just a joke. Nothing in the game looks complete. The feeling of playing is the same as experiencing a
    Probably the laziest "Nintendo" and "Mario" branded product I've ever bought.

Nothing in the game looks complete. The feeling of playing is the same as experiencing a bug-free tech demo. Compared to the other games in the franchise, I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that this one is at the low-tier mobile game level.

One interesting thing to note is that the game is so low budget and lazy that the development team didn't even bother to pay particular attention to each game mode. Standard golf is basically Rush Mode without the option to run. For example, in rush mode there are no replays of your shots, because it's a real-time match, because of that standard mode doesn't have replays either, because what wasn't essential for Rush Mode was considered superfluous. Another example is the fact that the flag is not removed from the hole when you are on the green, this does not happen in Rush Mode, which is understandable, but the fact that it is not removed also in standard mode when you play solo or in turns is simply bizarre. Apparently the Camelot guys didn't consider the game worthy of receiving a single extra line of code, this is the respect they have for the game.

This is one of those games that is so incomplete for the price that it sounds like an insult. It's as if the seller has no respect for the customer. I'm surprised Nintendo considered a game that wouldn't even qualify for a mid-tier mobile game to be released for $60 for the main console. This game is so incomplete, so barebones, that it alone made me lose all confidence in Nintendo-licensed games. I hope more players will follow my "example" and not buy anything else from Nintendo until they start releasing full games again.
  44. Jul 4, 2021
    Rent this game if you want 8-10 hours of fun playing the story mode. After that, there is nothing fun to do. The online play (where this game could have shone brightest) was boring and does not incentivize you to keep playing.
  45. Jul 4, 2021
    Boring courses, uninspired and mostly irrelevant obstacles. Worth around 10 bucks.
  46. Jul 5, 2021
    Imagine Mario Golf, except the only way to play is with the kiddy controls. 3 click, manual swing is gone. Swing accuracy is determined by RNG. Just click once to control power and then say a little prayer that your ball flies straight. The game practically plays itself. A four year old can hit this game's skill ceiling. On top of obliterating the core gameplay; the rest of the game is anImagine Mario Golf, except the only way to play is with the kiddy controls. 3 click, manual swing is gone. Swing accuracy is determined by RNG. Just click once to control power and then say a little prayer that your ball flies straight. The game practically plays itself. A four year old can hit this game's skill ceiling. On top of obliterating the core gameplay; the rest of the game is an embarrassingly barebones cash grab. Expand
  47. Jul 9, 2021
    A good multiplayer game hampered by Nintendos "It's still 2004" approach to multiplayer (you have to kick out all your players to change game modes - really?), coupled to a total dumpster fire of a single player mode that was presumably designed to ensure people would give up after 90 minutes.

This consists of an exceptionally tedious first section where you have to run after your ball - no carts, will beat the CPU by 10 strokes, and then have to sit and watch them miss from 3 inches repeatedly. If you survive this, you'll be treated to a disaster second section, "XC Golf", best described as "Everything you hated about trying to run up vertical mountains in Skyrim glued to everything you hated about trying to gauge depth on a handheld screen". You will not bother proceeding to the third, having given up and gone to do something more fun (tooth pulling without anaesthetic, perhaps).
  48. Jul 17, 2021
    -Boring
    -Can barely even be called Golf
    -Lots of Frustrations and none of the fun -Game mechanics TOO simple and become boring and repetitive at the same time. -Game Design and Course design feels rushed and not well thought out -Chasing after my ball after each shot? how is that fun? -If you're looking for a "golf" game, this isn't it. Looking for a fun Mario game? there are better
    -Boring
    -Can barely even be called Golf
    -Lots of Frustrations and none of the fun
    -Game mechanics TOO simple and become boring and repetitive at the same time.
    -Game Design and Course design feels rushed and not well thought out
    -Chasing after my ball after each shot? how is that fun?
    -If you're looking for a "golf" game, this isn't it. Looking for a fun Mario game? there are better ones out there.
  49. Jul 25, 2021
    Created an account just to warn others. I am a huge fan of Mario Golf on GameCube, and as soon as I saw that a version was available for the Switch I bought it blindly without reading any reviews. A big mistake. This game is not about golf, and definitely not about skill. It was painfully easy to play well and I could finish the entire story mode in a day if it wasn't so boring. None ofCreated an account just to warn others. I am a huge fan of Mario Golf on GameCube, and as soon as I saw that a version was available for the Switch I bought it blindly without reading any reviews. A big mistake. This game is not about golf, and definitely not about skill. It was painfully easy to play well and I could finish the entire story mode in a day if it wasn't so boring. None of the actual elements of real golf are there, no timing, course management etc. Just press A to select power and you literally can not hit a bad shot. I don't understand who this game is made for. Expand
  50. Aug 1, 2021
    This game is so horrible, I felt I had to create a metacritic account. Somewhere while walking to my ball for the 50th time over 30 seconds in stroke play instead of teleporting like any other golf game ever, I died a little on the inside. Miis suck. Do not buy. Go play nintendo 64 version. I am getting madder the more I write and think about this waste of money.
  51. Jul 26, 2021
    Definitely in my top ten worst games of all time. XC Golf is one of the dumbest ideas I’ve ever seen in a game.
  52. Jul 11, 2021
    Why? Why are you doing this? One of my favorite series (Super Mario) you ruined with this... Honestly the delevopers hadn't thought of anything better than that? When I first played it... It was a mess. Within five minutes, you'll be bored of it. I suggest you don't play this game... I'm not suggesting it.
  53. Aug 30, 2021
    50 bucks for 1 hour of game ... didn't why i bought a mario sport game, they're literraly one hour gaming game.

Multiplayer don't add anything, at the end their no fun at all, one of the worst game nintendo ever made :
  54. Jul 8, 2021
    The sound designer of this game should be fired, sued and never work on video games for anyone above 5 years old again.
  55. Mar 31, 2022
    really bad game. Bad soundtrack, bad characters, bad gameplay. I don't like this game
  56. Dec 6, 2021
    Biggest disappointment in gaming in quite some time. I've never been a golf fan, but I have been a big Mario Golf Toadstool Tour on the GameCube. Mario Golf World Tour was one of my most-played games on my 3DS (competing with the likes of Animal Crossing New Leaf and the Picross games.) When I bought a Switch on launch day, I was already looking forward to this game.

Three years later,

Three years later, it finally comes out... and it's pathetically unfinished and uninspired. There is no joy nor excitement anywhere to be found. The course designers made nearly no effort to make these areas visually belong in the Mario universe, and they don't even look particularly good at all. Engagement comes in the form of "hit your ball into this cyclone to get up the cliffside" and that's about it. Oh, and you can collect coins as you run to where your ball landed, if you want -- they're nigh-pointless, as is the running to the ball itself. This was marketed as a core feature of the game leading up to release, and it's pathetically boring.

The main mode of the game forces you to play through the course as a noisy, annoying Mii character -- using Mario or any of the other characters is not an option. The golf mechanics are both overly simplistic and unrealistic, allowing you to freely bend shots back and forth in midair, with complete disregard for club choice.

There is basically nothing to unlock or obtain in the game. All included characters have one costume, and it's the one they're already wearing. You can obtain "stronger clubs" which just changes some internal numbers, and each character has a "special shot" which was almost never useful at all in my 30-or-so hours of gameplay.

There's a cutscene halfway through the "story mode" which has you hit a golf ball really hard into a makeshift dam of rocks blocking a river, which destroys the dam and unlocks the next course. The cheesiness of the whole situation, combined with the poor, uninspired graphical presentation, really act as a cornerstone for my feelings about this game. This is as involved as the game gets, right here.

2 stars because the splash screen (the artwork from the cover) looks really great as the game is loading. Then, the actual game loads, and reality sets in. I really should've fought for a refund; I bought this digitally when it came out, and haven't even thought of playing it past the first week. This is the same developer responsible for the excellent Mario Golf World Tour on 3DS and Everybody's Golf on PlayStation 4. How & why is this game so bad?
  57. Nov 24, 2021
    Mario Golf: Super Rushed is the biggest disappointment for a Mario franchise game.

The single player mode is just a tutorial, and the characters in game talk about tournaments and other events that don't appear anywhere in the game. Being robbed of $80 for basically a demo is a huge insult, big enough that I registered an account here to warn others. The last free update was just released, and all the problems still exist. Considering the game is just an online mode with a how to tutorial, it shouldn't cost more than $20, since you need a Nintendo Online account to use it.
  58. May 15, 2022
    Finish your games before release them. The lack of content is unacceptable and the courts are flat, without inspiration.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 110 Critic Reviews

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 17, 2022
    Speed Golf is undoubtedly the main attraction of the game and it is a pity that other modes aren´t also so good.
  2. Ninty Fresh Magazine
    Dec 3, 2021
    It’s great to see Mario Golf back with some great new modes to play but changes to the gameplay take the series one-step forward and two-steps back. [Issue #4, p.53]
  3. Nintendo Force Magazine
    Oct 7, 2021
    In all, it's incredible, and a great purchase for fans of past installments. [Issue #54 – September 2021, p. 67]