7.3

1. Nov 10, 2018
    If you like Blade Runner, Black Mirror, The Matrix or film noir stories, have interest in transhumanism and AI, like to think along and know what to expect (a compelling story, atmosphere and exploration) and not to expect (action and difficult puzzles) from an interactive story game, then consider getting this title.

The most important part of an interactive story is, well, the story

The most important part of an interactive story is, well, the story and the way it is presented; and for me that ride has been compelling from the first to the last minute. There are many scenes and situations that are really well dramatised, some so well that they gave me goosebumps. The author, Ganteföhr has been targeting adult players with his adventure game stories for two decades and he did a great job here. There are various references, details and thought-provoking situations that people with an interest in AI, privacy, transhumanism will understand and like. You can stop to think deeper about the constellations (e.g. the meaning of the two main characters) and interpret around, like in Black Mirror and Blade Runner or any good literature. The low poly graphical style is truly aesthetic, the play with light is used beautifully for working out the contrast between the two cities (and characters). Also, somebody at daedalic seems to have a hidden talent for interior architecture. That characters look like they are made from glass shards is another embedded meaningful detail.

It is not perfect however. The controls are a bit clunky and you often get stuck in the beautiful furnishings. But this is not a big nuisance. What weighs more is that, like too many otherwise good adventure games (Monkey Island 2, Thimbleweed Park) State of Mind has a weak ending that leaves too many interesting story branches open. The last 15% of the game feel rushed and it feels like they took the easy way out.

Nevertheless State of Mind entertained me for a solid 12 hours, and I will play it again with the English voiceover (which has the English voiceactor of Geralt).

Btw, I did not buy it from the eShop but got the physical module / retail version from Germany.
  2. Aug 29, 2018
    This is a game I really enjoyed, I felt drawn into the world of Richard from the moment it began and I really enjoyed the World that Daedalic have built on the screen. That said there are some parts of the game that don't work so well and when you play it yourself you will understand what I mean when I say flying didn't really work for me. On the whole you have to experience this game forThis is a game I really enjoyed, I felt drawn into the world of Richard from the moment it began and I really enjoyed the World that Daedalic have built on the screen. That said there are some parts of the game that don't work so well and when you play it yourself you will understand what I mean when I say flying didn't really work for me. On the whole you have to experience this game for its world and how its has been presented. The team at Daedalic should be proud of what they have achieved. I highly recommend this game.

3. Aug 25, 2018
    State of Mind conta com uma historia interessante, mas tem algumas falhas como por exemplo a movimentação dos personagens, alguns bugs de renderização e poucos minigames, entretanto vale a pena para quem gosta do gênero drama interativo.
  4. Jun 7, 2019
    A delightful story that I don´t regret playing through.

The puzzles are no hard at all but add to the immersion. so If you like a nice science fiction story and don´t that it´s pretty easy to play through. There are decisions in the game that I am curious about. The game autosaves each scene, but there´s no visible branching system as far as I can tell.
  5. Sep 1, 2019
    Original story, beautiful retro art and a wonderful game. The puzzles are reasy but still fun. Several reviews complain about the character getting stuck in some parts of the scenery, and despite that is true, it does not affect the gameplay really and is not a reason not to play the game. The develpers should take note and fix the issues, but still is a fun game. I was about to discardOriginal story, beautiful retro art and a wonderful game. The puzzles are reasy but still fun. Several reviews complain about the character getting stuck in some parts of the scenery, and despite that is true, it does not affect the gameplay really and is not a reason not to play the game. The develpers should take note and fix the issues, but still is a fun game. I was about to discard buying it after reading the profesional reviews, but luckily the user reviews really revealed how good the game really is. Expand
  6. Sep 29, 2019
    Me gustan las aventuras gráficas pero este juego me pareció bastante decepcionante.

Lo bueno: -Muy buena ambientación y un estilo artístico que llama la atención. -El desarrollo de la historia no está mal. Lo malo: -Casi la totalidad del juego se basa en andar de un sitio a otro y hablar con gente sin hacer absolutamente nada más lo que lo hace aburrido. La jugabilidad brilla por

Lo bueno:
    -Muy buena ambientación y un estilo artístico que llama la atención.
    -El desarrollo de la historia no está mal.

Lo malo:
    -Casi la totalidad del juego se basa en andar de un sitio a otro y hablar con gente sin hacer absolutamente nada más lo que lo hace aburrido. La jugabilidad brilla por su ausencia por completo y no es hasta la etapa final del juego cuando se presentan ciertas situaciones para hacer algo diferente.
    -La historia tiene dos finales posibles y los dos son sosos e inconclusos.
    -El juego nos vende la premisa de una historia profunda que nos hará reflexionar sobre el futuro pero tampoco se siente como algo novedoso.
  7. Apr 19, 2020
    I got the game because I love Berlin and the art style looked cool. What brought the score down was the bad mechanics, boring gameplay and bland story. All of the characters spoke with an awkward tone, the lines were cringy and I had no interest in a single character. I really tried to like this game but all of the reasons above made me dislike it greatly. Tut mir leid.
  8. Jun 18, 2020
    Impresionado por este juego que me había pasado totalmente desapercibido.
    Un juego en el que se percibe el cariño con el que se han tratado todos y cada uno de sus aspectos: gráficos, música, jugabilidad, fotografía...
    Impresionado por este juego que me había pasado totalmente desapercibido.
    Una trama compleja y profunda, con temática futurista, que indaga en las controversias de nuestra evolución como especie, en los aspectos morales derivados del desarrollo y la evolución de la tecnología y en la manera en que interactuamos entre nosotros y con las máquinas.
    La jugabilidad es variada, para nada repetitiva, aunque podría mejorarse mucho en ese aspecto: la dificultad en general es baja y por momentos la resolución de los puzzles es más que obvia. Se echa de menos un “resumen de la historia”, a medida que avanzas en el juego, para no sentirte perdido cada vez que retomas la partida.
    Inevitablemente me viene a la cabeza el Detroit Become Human como referente cercano en cuanto a temática como a mecánicas de juego (lógicamente salvando las distancias, ya que este juego es de menor presupuesto).
    El apartado artístico me ha gustado. Me parece una decisión acertada acercar el aspecto de los personajes humanos al de los robots, con ese aspecto poligonal similar al de juegos de pasadas generaciones, para meterlos en un universo en el que se disipe la barrera que separa a unos de los otros.
    La experiencia en general es buena y recomiendo encarecidamente este juego a todo aquel que disfrute de una buena historia.
    Lo he jugado en Switch, principalmente en modo portátil, y no hay nada que reprochar en cuanto a rendimiento/gráficos/bugs.
  9. Oct 29, 2020
    This is that kind of game, which is very hard to call a game... Gameplay is too simple, and that makes it boring, but plot is very good and immersive.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 7 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 13, 2018
    State of Mind has a rather peculiar look but its plot stands out as its greatest asset, as well as the availability of multiple characters for the players to control. On the other hand, despite the quality of the plot, it's also rather slow-paced and takes its time to grow, which will most likely put off the less patient players and the events are rather predictable for those who know the sci-fi genre.
    It’s just too long and player engagement is so minimal. I don’t like games that pretend to be games but are really just movies. State of Mind would make a great mini-series or book, but it’s not a great video game.
  3. Aug 17, 2018
    State of Mind tells a captivating story of two men who find themselves wrapped up in a plot that touches on questioning life itself. Adventure game fans will delight in the fascinating futuristic story and its unique visuals and immersive setting complete the package.