8.0

1. Nov 18, 2017
    VVVVVV remains the same fantastic and simple platformer years later, and the score and my feelings on it have not changed in the years since. Very easy to get into and hard not to become hopelessly addicted, VVVVVV's simple main goal will satisfy most, but those looking for challenges in the form of the trinkets will be more than happy and enjoyably frustrated at the daunting task at oneVVVVVV remains the same fantastic and simple platformer years later, and the score and my feelings on it have not changed in the years since. Very easy to get into and hard not to become hopelessly addicted, VVVVVV's simple main goal will satisfy most, but those looking for challenges in the form of the trinkets will be more than happy and enjoyably frustrated at the daunting task at one in particular. It keeps coming at you with simple changes in the mechanics making you change your thinking in every new level, and the soundtrack is delightful. Pick it up if you get a chance - it will be worth it for this indie classic. Expand
  2. Nov 30, 2017
    To V or not to V, that...is the question

VVVVVV is a 2d puzzle platformer with metroidvania elements, originally released in 2010 by Irish developer Terry Cavanagh. Playing as Captain Viridian, your crew gets separated after a forced evacuation of their space ship. Now in dimension VVVVVV you have to track down the members of your crew. In order to do so you must traverse this
    To V or not to V, that...is the question

Playing as Captain Viridian, your crew gets separated after a forced evacuation of their space ship. Now in dimension VVVVVV you have to track down the members of your crew. In order to do so you must traverse this colorful yet deadly dimension.

Setting itself apart from the average platformer, in VVVVVV you are unable to jump. Instead you are able to inverse gravity, allowing you to fall up or down. When originally released on PC this mechanic was mapped to the V key, now on the switch mapped to the Y, B, or A button. This mechanic is pushed to the very limit with new level interactions giving each area’s obstacle a different theme. One having gravity reversing beams, while another creates mazes that you work your way through, giving each new section fresh and challenging game play.

With challenging being the key word as V is an incredibly tough game. However, there are tons of checkpoints throughout the game so when you die you never have to go too far. Which is one of the worst feelings in a game, when objective D is very hard but you have to keep running through A, B, & C just to die again on D. Having multiple checkpoints removes this annoyance allowing you the freedom to die multiple times when exploring a new puzzle. Which you can only solve by looking at the problem from a totally different angle. These platforming challenges were some of the most rewarding I have played in years. When you go out on a limb trying some crazy stab in the dark, it rewards you wholeheartedly.

V has a huge map that you explore... unlocking new teleportation hubs along the way to fast travel from section to section. When beginning your travels however you travel through vast sections of the map by falling up and down, sometimes flying three screen lengths until you reach ground again.

Little touches like this along the game, hark to an era of gaming long forgotten. V feels like a game that was made in 1987 and someone found in an old developers basement. With the graphics feeling like you are playing on an ms dos computer. This feeling is only made more poignant with the fantastic retro game music.

V is one of the best platformers I have ever played, while initially turned off by the graphics before jumping in, I quickly became a fan. The seeming simplicity soon turns to a vivid orchestra when in the heart of this game, leaving you with questions, frustrations, and a need to pick up that switch and play again. The short yet sweet game will now be one of my top recommends for a new switcher.

Be sure to watch my video review at YouTube channel TheFlannelFox
  3. Nov 24, 2017
    VVVVVV is an ingenious game which makes use of the great gravity switching mechanic. After beating a hard level you start to realize the true genius of VVVVVV
  4. Dec 25, 2018
    Even though I may be biased, as I am a speedrunner at the game, I recommend anyone who enjoys challenging platforming Terry's Indie hit, VVVVVV. The controls are very responsive, The graphics updated for the switch in HD and a full 60 FPS. The game has an endearing charm to it which will want to make you play it again and again, with challenging trinkets which are collectibles of whichEven though I may be biased, as I am a speedrunner at the game, I recommend anyone who enjoys challenging platforming Terry's Indie hit, VVVVVV. The controls are very responsive, The graphics updated for the switch in HD and a full 60 FPS. The game has an endearing charm to it which will want to make you play it again and again, with challenging trinkets which are collectibles of which some of them are very satisfying and difficult to pull off. The switch version features an exclusive multiplayer experience found in no other port of the game (in fact, even the original version)

Unfortunately, I have to give it an 8/10 as it is not as customizable as the PC version. The reason for this is because it lacks the great and clever Level editor and the ability to add more custom stages made by other players outside of the featured ones.

However, this game is a must-have for any hardcore gamer looking for an enjoyable platformer and loves a good challenge.
  5. Jul 13, 2019
    A solid, but very short (around 2 hours not 100%)rage game. Nothing bad, but nothing out of this world. I recommend it for its great music, good level design, and charming and funny dialogue and characters.
  6. Jun 10, 2018
    Honestly, I usually don't enjoy retro platformers. But this one is amazing. The music, the simple yet challenging levels, and the characters. 10/10.
  7. Sep 26, 2018
    Great fun for fans of old retro platform games! Music, graphics and mechanics harken back to when games presented complex problems with simplicity. Solving difficult puzzles will leave you with a huge sense of satisfaction after many frustrating attempts.
  8. Nov 28, 2018
    Good game but speedrunning makes me want to throw my controller at the wall. Veni Vidi Vici isn't even that hard and you guys are just bad. Get it. Worth every penny. But don't look at that timer on the results screen. Don't try to lower the number. Veni Vidi Vici isn't the hardest trinket but casuals just suck apparently. Just practice for a few hours and it's easy first try (mostly).Good game but speedrunning makes me want to throw my controller at the wall. Veni Vidi Vici isn't even that hard and you guys are just bad. Get it. Worth every penny. But don't look at that timer on the results screen. Don't try to lower the number. Veni Vidi Vici isn't the hardest trinket but casuals just suck apparently. Just practice for a few hours and it's easy first try (mostly). ALSO - screw triggers. It's a minor complaint but I would have preferred the map on the minus button so I never accidentally open the map. Expand
  9. Mar 10, 2020
    VVVVV is a very fun platformer that you probably won't put down until you beat it.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 11 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 22, 2018
    Nicalis brings one of the toughest and addictive gaming experiences from almost every other format to Nintendo Switch, and the transition is seamless. With dastardly levels of difficulty, a quirky aesthetic, and an absolutely sublime soundtrack that has definitely stood the test of time, the major drawback comes from how short the experience is. Once accustomed to overcoming the challenges faced, there is not much left to do after rescuing everyone. Hopefully, an expanded successor is on the way.
  2. NF Magazine
    Jan 7, 2018
    If you're up for a solid challenge, VVVVVV is the best one money can buy. [Issue #31 – January/February 2018, p. 23M]
  3. Dec 14, 2017
    Great port with a new game mode for two players and a control scheme that requires more than the original did.