7.8

1. Aug 15, 2019
    The game is 98% on rails. An interactive story on rails. It is not a game. If you want to have a 3 hour interactive movie with your partner next to you on the couch, then it is fun.
  2. Jul 17, 2019
    It's hardly a game, it feels like a short interactive story with unique narrative design. I love when the story mixes up with some gameplay elements like puzzles, but here you just walk and look around. Environments are packed with huge amount of very nuanced stuff and it's hard not to appreciate attention to details. The game is extremely short though, about 2 hours, and it's hard toIt's hardly a game, it feels like a short interactive story with unique narrative design. I love when the story mixes up with some gameplay elements like puzzles, but here you just walk and look around. Environments are packed with huge amount of very nuanced stuff and it's hard not to appreciate attention to details. The game is extremely short though, about 2 hours, and it's hard to connect with the characters for such a short time. Ending felt too predictable. Felt that 20Eur is too much for such a short experience. Expand
  3. Nov 4, 2020
    A word of caution to avoid disappointment: a fine interactive novel, but NOT a video game!
  4. Sep 14, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I honestly really enjoyed the story of the Finch family, though I will admit I have some problems with it. The game has only 1 correct path you can take and if you miss something and go through the next checkpoint you will never get to see what you missed. The idea of a twisting maze of a house is amazing, and it is fun to explore. I honestly loved the game up till the very end. My girlfriend was showing me this game as she had played with before, and at one point, about halfway through the game, I said to her "If Edith dies at the end I'm going to be so mad at this game." Low and behold the ending she apparently died in child birth. It felt like an attempt at a sad ending but it just felt pointless. Other issues include never getting to learn Grandma Edie's story near the end and never actually learning WHY the Finch family is cursed, which was a huge interest for me. What Remains of Edith Finch, a bittersweet game whose ending felt far too bitter to be sweet. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 7 Critic Reviews

1. Aug 19, 2019
    Better late than never, What Remains of Edith Finch is quite simply a storytelling masterpiece that’s both tragic and life-affirming. Even if your time with the Finch family is short and bitterly sweet, it’s an unforgettable experience.
  2. Aug 1, 2019
    If you are looking for an engaging narrative that you can complete in a single sitting, then What Remains of Edith Finch is the perfect summer title for you. In many ways, it reminded me of a good book or film. It opens with a promising tale and then builds on the premise with each chapter; or, in the game’s case, each bedroom and family member. The short length may deter some, but the experience is fleshed out and fully realized. Like a good book or movie, it is something you’ll return to. Sure, some of the mystery may be lost in subsequent replays, but the story is so engrossing that you may discover elements you missed our first-time through. It’s an exceptional experience and one that will change the way you think about video game storytelling.
    I can’t recommend What Remains of Edith Finch enough if anyone has yet to play it. With so many incredible games that are currently coming to Switch, it’s important to support the special titles coming from publisher Annapurna Interactive. Its explorations of loss and tragedy left me emotional on numerous occasions, yet it also holds an uplifting and edifying emotional core. This experience remains undiminished thanks to a comprehensive port that doesn’t make any drastic sacrifices to the performance and visuals. As far as I’m concerned, it’s required reading for those passionate about storytelling in video games.