7.8

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Jan 20, 2019
    I’ve only previously played AC 5 and Zero on the PS2.

I’ve only previously played AC 5 and Zero on the PS2.

AC 7 makes a fresh start on current gen flight combat. In terms to flight controls and gameplay they didn’t change much from previous games which isn’t a bad thing because it was good to begin with. One thing that disappointed me was that they removed wingmen commands which they had previously on AC 5. The wingmen AI is horrendous and is a lot worse when you have no control over it. You end up having to do everything yourself. There was one mission where you had to escort a transport with a single wingman while taking out SAMs bombarding the transport in every fkn direction while also tracking back and taking out any bandits intercepting said transport. They put too much emphasis on you the player taking total control of the battle by shooting down 50 + enemies while the wingmen are there just for fodder which really ruins immersion and realism.

Also another thing they removed was wingmen assignment. In AC 5, for missions that require elimination of Air and Ground targets you can assign your wingmen to different planes that have different roles (fighter/multi role/ground assault). In AC 7 it’s just you who can choose and end up having to use an A10 to have enough firepower to take out 100 + ground targets then have to contend to fighting Mig 29s and some OP boss with a modified SU 33 (my poor A10 got lucky on the 5th go of that mission).

Typical AC series is the graphics and sound are all excellent. All planes have great detail and the payload is accurate apart from Railguns and lasers (wish they brought back the Napalm bomb for the F4s. The music nostalgic especially during the multiplayer where they brought some classics back and remixed a bit.

The Campaign is a bit all over the place looking at both sides of the war. Wingmen didn't really gel and I didn't really care if they died compared to Nagase, Archer and Chopper (Team Razgriz!). It didn’t really engage me but I’m just playing this to shoot planes and blow **** up anyways.

Multiplayer is pretty meh and time consuming as they’re player lobbies and no quick match options. All you get is Free for All and team Death Match which you’re only gonna use Air superiority planes like the F15 Eagles and F35s because you’ll get totally wrecked using Assault and Multi Role planes. They should have siege modes where one defends and the other have to destroy a target like the Ark bird or Stonehenge but this could be added in future.
    Overall, the game play is non stop action and excitement…and somewhat annoying as you’re a one man team against 100. Air plane fans will love it, I’ll give it a 6 but since they threw in my AC 5 in my preorder I’ll push it to a 7.
  2. Sep 23, 2020
    When you launch Ace Combat 7, you immediately see that this is a Japanese game. From characters to plot. In general, this is not a bad arcade, perhaps its only modern representative in the gaming industry (there may be other single games, but I do not know about them). To the shortcomings, I can record the production of the plot (it is very banal and boring, and the motivation of theWhen you launch Ace Combat 7, you immediately see that this is a Japanese game. From characters to plot. In general, this is not a bad arcade, perhaps its only modern representative in the gaming industry (there may be other single games, but I do not know about them). To the shortcomings, I can record the production of the plot (it is very banal and boring, and the motivation of the heroes is indicated by random definition). By the end of the game, you generally stop understanding it. The blunt AI of the allies can still be attributed to the shortcomings, their dialogues are so annoying in general. Well, the final 2-3 missions are some nonsense. And on Xbox One S, the game is not playable enough, it looks like it was ported to Xbox 360. On One X you can already play, blur is much less. In general, as an Xbox Game Pass subscription game, you can go, but I do not advise you to spend on no more than $20 in retail. Expand
  3. Oct 26, 2019
    It's amazing fun to fly different kind of planes and blow **** up, however the story is completely ridiculous and kind of ruins the game. Multiplayer can be fun, but gets repetitive pretty quick.
  4. Jan 19, 2021
    I played the game on xbox game pass and I wasn't expecting much but I really enjoyed it. The story is good and the gameplay is fun and simple for a game about jets.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 17 Critic Reviews

1. Apr 18, 2019
    Ace Combat 7 has hit the skies and it has been a smooth flight with little turbulence. Available now for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One for $59.99 USD and in February for PC. If you like games where flight is the main type of play then this game is for you. I love games like Elite Dangerous for its space combat and now I have Ace Combat 7 for my Air Combat.
  2. Apr 18, 2019
    Quotation forthcoming.
  3. Official Xbox Magazine UK
    Mar 9, 2019
    Spectacular but spotty, this demanding sim both fulfills and frustrates. [Issue#225, p.76]