8.1

1. Jun 26, 2014
    Its refreshing to see a game that focuses on a a personal and emotional war story versus a focus strictly on the fighting. Valiant Hearts is one of the best games I've played in awhile. It was a breath of fresh air to play a game that involves simple, yet challenging puzzles. The game's mechanics and controls are all solid. What stands out the most in Valiant Hearts is its beautifulIts refreshing to see a game that focuses on a a personal and emotional war story versus a focus strictly on the fighting. Valiant Hearts is one of the best games I've played in awhile. It was a breath of fresh air to play a game that involves simple, yet challenging puzzles. The game's mechanics and controls are all solid. What stands out the most in Valiant Hearts is its beautiful comic book artsyle. The game utilizes this look amazingly and it really immerses you in the game. The minimal hud enhances this greatly. The game has a lot of content for its 15 dollar price tag and even has collectibles to find and lots of history logs to read about the war. The cartoony art style sets a good contrast against the dreary backdrop of WWI and helps add comical relief. The puzzles throughout the game constantly had me smiling while solving them. I'd highly recommend this game if you are looking for something different than the usual shooting/fighting games nowadays. Expand
  2. Jul 1, 2014
    Valiant Hearts: The Great War is a very interesting concept for a game. A puzzle Adventure set in the midst of World War One. While there are parts of this game that do a good job and reminding us of the price the conflict had on everyone, it's too often sandwiched between an overly cartoonish representation of war, obtuse puzzle design, and action segments that would make even Call ofValiant Hearts: The Great War is a very interesting concept for a game. A puzzle Adventure set in the midst of World War One. While there are parts of this game that do a good job and reminding us of the price the conflict had on everyone, it's too often sandwiched between an overly cartoonish representation of war, obtuse puzzle design, and action segments that would make even Call of Duty players scratch their heads at the lack of realism. I can only recommend this if you're a history buff or a fan of old adventure games. Expand
  3. Jul 14, 2014
    Valiant Hearts is a simple puzzle, side scroller. Yet somehow between it's cartoon art style, the simple puzzles (complete with clues), and the 5 related stories of the playable characters, people seem to be enthralled with it. In my case players from 7-60's all played and finished it.

It is a short game, so it is half the price of most block buster games. But even that isn't all bad, as the game seems to indicate there will be updates.
  4. Oct 4, 2015
    This is largely a play through of history class around WWI. Overall it seems fairly comical but there are darker undertones as you progress through the connected narrative shared between multiple playable characters. There are slightly goofy elements like dodging mortar shells which seem contrived and take away from the deeper puzzle solving elements native to the genre. The comic styleThis is largely a play through of history class around WWI. Overall it seems fairly comical but there are darker undertones as you progress through the connected narrative shared between multiple playable characters. There are slightly goofy elements like dodging mortar shells which seem contrived and take away from the deeper puzzle solving elements native to the genre. The comic style visuals are effective and stylish, there are a few marquee items sprinkled throughout that add a slight wow factor. That being said color palette is shades of brown, which although fitting for the setting, does not impress overall other than with a sense of 'blah'. Generally there are not many of these. Expect most character to make one or two token gestures before exiting or dieing. Each stage has collectibles but they don't seem particularly relevant and are not tied to completion of each level. Treatment of the war is respectfully handled as both sides are represented as first and foremost human beings caught in the swells of a larger struggle. Sadly the more innovative mechanics are covered over with the all too frequent 'hide for cover until reload then run' schtick. The game never really achieves the frantic pace that I feel like it deserves. Expand
  5. Jul 28, 2015
    If you are looking for a well written adventure game, complete with fun puzzles and even a bit of a history lesson to boot, then look no further than Valiant Hearts: The Great War.
  6. Jun 26, 2014
    This game is a breath of fresh air. Whether it's the art style or the music or the even the characters, this game is beyond amazing. The gameplay is solid and enjoyable to play through and you would leave the game wanting more of this fantastic game. My only complaint is that I would have liked to have seen just a tad bit more variety, but that is just a minor complaint and overall I haveThis game is a breath of fresh air. Whether it's the art style or the music or the even the characters, this game is beyond amazing. The gameplay is solid and enjoyable to play through and you would leave the game wanting more of this fantastic game. My only complaint is that I would have liked to have seen just a tad bit more variety, but that is just a minor complaint and overall I have enjoyed the ever living crap of this game. Whatever platform you have, download this game and you too will love this game. Best game I have played all year so far. Expand
  7. Jun 26, 2014
    Superb. Art style, story, minimal game play. It really is a beautifully made game and more its simplicity, it is probably my game of the year so far.

Great price too!
  8. Sep 12, 2014
    Beautiful artwork, good soundtrack, compelling story and enough variety to the gameplay (primarily light puzzles) makes this an outstanding downloadable game. Educational too!
  9. Oct 13, 2015
    possibly a love or hate game. I loved it. The reason you would enjoy this game is nothing to do with getting that perfect 360 no scope double kill. The mechanics take a back seat to the story. If you liked brothers: a tale of two sons you already love this.
  10. Jul 23, 2014
    I was really looking forward to this game and although I liked the story and the history lesson I really have to say I almost hated the game play. I found the game side of it to be tedious and annoying and couldn't wait to finish it. I am very sad to say this as I really do love what they tried to do with this game. The first world war as a setting and the puzzles all should haveI was really looking forward to this game and although I liked the story and the history lesson I really have to say I almost hated the game play. I found the game side of it to be tedious and annoying and couldn't wait to finish it. I am very sad to say this as I really do love what they tried to do with this game. The first world war as a setting and the puzzles all should have worked for me as this is what I normally love in gaming. Why this didn't work for me I can't really put my finger on but It was a chore to play for me. I can only guess that it might have been the repetitiveness of the game that was the culprit. I hope this kind of game continues to be made but I think the developers need to work a bit on making them more fun to play. This sounds shallow to say this about a game that tries to let you feel what the first world war was like, which I think is does very well, but games still need to be fun to play. Expand
  11. Mar 29, 2015
    Today I finished Valiant Hearts: The Great War, and could not be happier with what I experienced. I bought this game a while back played just over 50%, and stopped for no apparent reason. Today I decided it was time to finish it. Even though I hadn't played it in a few months I was able to jump right back into the story and feel like i never stopped playing. This games ability to tell aToday I finished Valiant Hearts: The Great War, and could not be happier with what I experienced. I bought this game a while back played just over 50%, and stopped for no apparent reason. Today I decided it was time to finish it. Even though I hadn't played it in a few months I was able to jump right back into the story and feel like i never stopped playing. This games ability to tell a story is right up there with Telltales the walking dead game. Although there were times where I did get very frustrated I really enjoyed my experience in the game and i would recommend it to anyone who loves a great story. Expand
  12. Oct 11, 2015
    One of the saddest games I've ever played if you pay attention to what they show you about the items you find and the characters you play. Came out free on Gold so get it now and play it. Very simple and well done and full of heart.
  13. Jul 7, 2014
    What a really, really great game. I love historical war stuff and this game is full of fun World War I historical bits of true info (a blast for any historical buff). At first glance, it seems like a plain side scrolling game like any other. After playing it for a few minutes, I was hooked and what I thought was going to be just a few minutes of play time ended up being hours and hoursWhat a really, really great game. I love historical war stuff and this game is full of fun World War I historical bits of true info (a blast for any historical buff). At first glance, it seems like a plain side scrolling game like any other. After playing it for a few minutes, I was hooked and what I thought was going to be just a few minutes of play time ended up being hours and hours (and then day after day) of some great puzzle solving fun that I never dreamed could be implemented into a side scrolling program (this is like The Cave except easier on the puzzle solving. The game truly puts you into the atmosphere of the struggles of WWII I. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you' ll be excited one moment only to be challenged the next with a new puzzle. And the puzzles don't get old even though many are variations of others. Of all the thousands and thousands of games I've played, Valiant Hearts will always be one of the most memorable, fun and great side scrolling puzzlers I've ever played. For the $10 it costs, it would be sad for you to turn this precious gem of a game away. Kudos to the developer for doing everything right! My only (small, small) complaint is chapter 4 which makes you start at the beginning to go through a somewhat tough and lengthy level if you don't complete it. But this is really a small complaint on something which has offered me days and days, weeks and weeks of fun for a few dollars. It's worth $10 just to try it even if you don't end up liking it. The PopUp historical info is a sheer delight!! A must for any historical buff (but I think I already mentioned that). Expand
  14. Nov 29, 2014
    This game gets on my list of the greatest of all time.Stop reading reviews and buy this game u wont regret it if u like Story driven games.This ones is movie worthy.
  15. Jul 2, 2014
    Valiant Hearts: The Great War is a diamond in the rough. By focusing directly on the characters, and how they are affected by World War I, Ubisoft provides a welcomed change from a standard shooter or action game focused on conflict. The graphics are great, and completely compliment the story driven game; especially the detailed backgrounds which add depth to each location.

I highly

I highly recommend this game; especially at $14.99.
  16. Jul 22, 2014
    This has to be one of the best games I've ever played. This game shows just how horrific the First World War was, but tries to not be too grim. It throws in a joke or two every now and then and makes it a lovely experience. This game plays with your feelings and by the end of the game I can gaurantee you'll be in tears.
    Absolutely amazing game with high replay value.
  17. Jul 4, 2014
    It is almost impossible to look at the game and not smile or enjoy what has been made. For anyone who enjoys a good story with lovable characters i strongly recommend this, yes it can be repetitive in some areas but what game these days isn't. It's never a boring game and if the story or gameplay doesn't keep your eye then you can lay back and listen to the breathtaking soundtrack. ForIt is almost impossible to look at the game and not smile or enjoy what has been made. For anyone who enjoys a good story with lovable characters i strongly recommend this, yes it can be repetitive in some areas but what game these days isn't. It's never a boring game and if the story or gameplay doesn't keep your eye then you can lay back and listen to the breathtaking soundtrack. For under 20$ and up to 8 hours of playtime this is a puzzle adventure game that knows what it is and will never let you forget it was made from the heart. Expand
  18. Jan 10, 2015
    After playing it a bit late (January 2015) and now completing it I have decided it's my game of the year of 2014. I truly love this game, Ive never been that interested in the type of game that this is but this blew me away, I will happily purchase it again on my ps4 and play through again. This game is INCREDIBLE
  19. NSA
    Jun 28, 2014
    Amazing game, very powerful and moving. The puzzles are not overly challenging, and I estimate the game should take between 7-10 hours to complete. The music and voice overs are amazing. Best WWI game I've ever played. This is worth your money.
  20. Jul 1, 2014
    if you are a fan of the insane shoot em ups and that's it then you are not going to like this. i don't think you kill anyone in this game. its all about the good story and gameplay. the art style is very well done and gives it a unique loot. Ubisoft, make more stuff like this and ill stop hitting you.
  21. Jul 6, 2014
    Best game i played in 2 years, the music, the story. You really need to play this. There is no other game which bring so much emotion like this game. Did not expect this from this game. 10/10 no doubt
  22. Apr 6, 2015
    Soldats Inconnus : Mémoires de la Grande Guerre est un émouvant jeu vidéo d'énigme/bande dessinée interactive inspiré par la grande guerre de 1914 - 1918 celle que l'on a surnommé la der des der.
    C'est développé par un studio français s'il vous plait je tiens à le souligner : Ubisoft Montpellier allez cocorico lol.
    Nos protagonistes se retrouvent embarqués malgré eux dans ce terrible
    Nos protagonistes se retrouvent embarqués malgré eux dans ce terrible conflit mais l'espoir va renaitre à force courage et de dévouement tout au long de l'aventure.
    Dés le début, on sent tout de suite un jeu crée par une équipe de passionnés et enrichie par les bases de données d’Apocalypse la 1re Guerre mondiale cela donne vraiment un jeu très convaincant.
    En effet tout au long de vos pérégrinations vous découvrirez les lieux et faits marquants de la grande guerre mais également pour les plus curieux d'entre vous des notes, objets ou anecdotes viendront enrichir vos connaissances.
    Bref foncez acheter le jeu, il vaut vraiment le coup aussi bien pour sa direction artistique façon bande dessinée que pour ses personnages attachants, émouvants et drôles.
    Tout simplement le meilleur jeu d'Ubisoft en 2014 !! =)
  23. Nov 30, 2014
    Valiant Hearts ring quite good, artistic game. Some very dramatic and heart-wrenching scene. The game was very impressed with the music better and better. The course of the story, though slowed the logic parts, although not a monotonous game. The graphics should be commended, very fit to play.
  24. Oct 18, 2015
    A well written and beautifully animated story taken place during the first world war. Which in itself is impressive because you don't see many games succeed based on that era. The story starts slow but by the end you are wrapped up with the characters and wondering what will happen next. Creative level design that mixes with difficulty. Absolutely loved it
  25. Jul 7, 2014
    Valiant Hearts is a fantastic game. Beautiful art style, great storyline, stunning visuals and a haunting soundtrack all add up to craft an excellent game.
  26. Jan 22, 2017
    Ubisoft, gros éditeur triple A, fait aussi dans l'indé de merde de temps à autre pour la gamelle. En effet pourquoi ne pas exploiter ce filon qui se développe en deux coups de cuiller à pot, surtout avec Soldats Inconnus ce jeu flash immonde en 16 couleurs ? D'autant qu'il s'agit de la Première Guerre Mondiale tout de même !... et quelle infamie ce jeu neuneu, quelle naïveté ! c'est laUbisoft, gros éditeur triple A, fait aussi dans l'indé de merde de temps à autre pour la gamelle. En effet pourquoi ne pas exploiter ce filon qui se développe en deux coups de cuiller à pot, surtout avec Soldats Inconnus ce jeu flash immonde en 16 couleurs ? D'autant qu'il s'agit de la Première Guerre Mondiale tout de même !... et quelle infamie ce jeu neuneu, quelle naïveté ! c'est la guerre mais on ne tue personne. Très crédible.

On résoud par contre des tas d'énigmes à la mords-moi-le-noeud avec un clébard. Très important le clébard dites-moi : c'est lui le vrai héros en fait. La Première Guerre Mondiale n'est pas un sujet à traiter de façon aussi légère, simpliste et à côté de la plaque. Visionnez le documentaire Apocalypse pour vous en rendre compte : on ne badine pas avec un évènement qui a changé la face du monde et façonné le 20ème siècle et au delà. Soldats Inconnus est une insulte aux soldats et aux morts en plus d'être une daube minable.
  27. Dec 25, 2015
    War is a horrible, horrible thing. We live in a time now when video games focus less on the horrible aspects of it, and more on glorying the action. What we are give here is a powerful alternative the action-packed war games that crowd shelves.

It's an emotional and powerful story. One with charming characters and a heartbreaking tone and ending. Things aren't all gloom and doom though. In fact the game's graphic novel style graphics give it a charming vibe. There are even touches of goofy humor throughout. The game just knows the seriousness of the subject matter and isn't afraid to portray the horror of the war it takes place in (WWI). Despite the characters being fictional, the conflicts they often partake in and the facts the game give you aren't. The dose of history is appreciated.

For all of it's excellent storytelling this game wouldn't be worth much if the actual gameplay were not enjoyable. Thankfully this is an excellent adventure game with some truly great puzzles. The puzzles themselves aren't too difficult, so it's a rather breezy experience. Yet there is a thoughtfulness to them that makes the satisfying to solve regardless. Just don't expect to find yourself racking your brain to find solutions here.

Each character has different abilities. Your strategies for progressing will change based on which one you are controlling at any given time. There are also quite a few entertaining quick-time sections that serve as nice diversions from the typical puzzle solving.

Overall Valiant Hearts is simply a wonderful game with an emotional tale to tell. One that focuses on a different side of war than most other games portray. It's human and it may just end up leaving you in tears by the time the credits roll, but the gameplay ensures that you are having fun all the way through it.
  28. Oct 27, 2015
    For what it is, this is a spectucular game that truly captures the essence of World War 1. For so long I have pondered why no game has attempted to replicate the first great war. Another excellent incorporation is factual information, able to easily be accessed as you progress along the game. The draw of it starts to wear off somewhat by the second chapter, but if you are a fan ofFor what it is, this is a spectucular game that truly captures the essence of World War 1. For so long I have pondered why no game has attempted to replicate the first great war. Another excellent incorporation is factual information, able to easily be accessed as you progress along the game. The draw of it starts to wear off somewhat by the second chapter, but if you are a fan of side-scroller puzzle games, you'll enjoy this. Expand
  29. Nov 9, 2015
    This is a good game for kids under 10. It has a beautiful soundtrack and great history lessons. Because this is supposed to be a light-hearted game, it often chooses to hide away from emotional moments and replace them to silly Benny Hill routines. Adults may find the gameplay a bit too repetitive and the story too silly. Obviously, we're not the target audience.
  30. Nov 4, 2015
    This game is incredible; fantastic art, intuitive gameplay, engaging story, likable characters, and one of THE BEST soundtracks I've heard in a while. I can't think of any flaws with the game besides some very minor gameplay bugs here and there, but I've only encountered two things that can be considered "errors". I feel as if this game is extremely underrated. It hes been a while since aThis game is incredible; fantastic art, intuitive gameplay, engaging story, likable characters, and one of THE BEST soundtracks I've heard in a while. I can't think of any flaws with the game besides some very minor gameplay bugs here and there, but I've only encountered two things that can be considered "errors". I feel as if this game is extremely underrated. It hes been a while since a game has made me 'feel' something, and I have no shame in admiting that I cried twice with tears of joy, and tears of grief. It's a masterpiece of this generation and I truly regret not playing it sooner. 10/10! Expand
  31. Nov 8, 2015
    It's a great game. With a lovely Art style and superb soundtrack.
    This game drive me directly to the World War I ambient.
    A Great and sad history. Best value for money.
  32. Nov 15, 2015
    Amazing, touching, cool story, during The First World War, when everything important torn apart. Well written, great art style, superb characters, very, very emotional. I don’t remember when I enjoyed the game so much. Every level is unique and breathtaking. Collectable, hidden items can tell us a lot about this history. Education combined with a joy. The riddles were logic and difficult.Amazing, touching, cool story, during The First World War, when everything important torn apart. Well written, great art style, superb characters, very, very emotional. I don’t remember when I enjoyed the game so much. Every level is unique and breathtaking. Collectable, hidden items can tell us a lot about this history. Education combined with a joy. The riddles were logic and difficult. The soundtrack perfectly interact with the awesome story. Must have game, one of the best I ever played. Expand
  33. Dec 14, 2016
    juegazo , le he puesto un 9 por lo que transmite el juego tanto con la historia como con la banda sonora que es absolutamente brutal y te puede saltar las lagrimas en ciertos momentos...graficamente es normal,nada de 3d ,pero eso en el futuro le vendra bien por que se podra jugar en cualquier epoca al no depender de los graficos.
  34. Apr 19, 2016
    The ultimate diamond in the rough.

The ultimate diamond in the rough.

I have never heard of this game when I first got it. As a matter of fact, I got it free. However, this is one of the best games I've played. Despite its lack of replay-ability, Valiant Hearts shows something that is rare in games today. It is a game that focuses on the emotional toll and personal stories in war instead of the gruesome violence of the front lines. Valiant Hearts tells a compelling story that is sure to get the player emotional. A lot of it is due to its art: music and visual.

The music in Valiant Hearts is one of my favorite in any video game. The reason being so isn't because of necessary how "catchy" it is, but the impact it makes on the story. The driving scenes relish these classical pieces by making movements based on the melody and beats. It's such a simple and clever trick that made me smile. The music just fits every scenario. From the streets of Paris and the upbeat "Get Aboard" track to the slow piano in the main menu, the music is spectacular.

As for the graphics, in a world of AAA titles with insanely realistic graphics, Valiant Hearts takes a step back in style, but not in effect. Despite cartoon-like visuals, this game looks great. It fits and it doesn't need realistic graphics to make it a visual wonder.

It lacks replay-ability, but it excels in telling a compelling story and succeeds in nearly every other area.
  35. Oct 30, 2016
    é um jogo único, incrível!!! ubisoft esta de parabéns por ter criado um jogo super bem equilibrado e divertido. temos aí uma maneira muito divertida e interessante de aprender história. esse game deveria ser usado nas escolas.
  36. Jun 6, 2018
    Un juego que hace mella en el corazón
    Un juego que hace mella en el corazón
    Un juego que realmente te deja con el corazón marcado, ese juego al que nunca jugarías si por gráficos hiperralistas nos guiamos, pero que va mucho mas allá, se disfruta con 2 sentidos porque ademas del dibujo artístico que tiene, la BSO es algo mas que increíble, con un fondo como es la Guerra Mundial, donde en lugar de darnos un Shooter, nos regalan un juego de Puzzles y Sigilo.

A mi gusto, es juego mas bonito de esta Next-Gen
  37. Jun 26, 2020
    Es precioso y EN ESPAÑOL..... un nueve como mínimo. He aprendido sobre la 1ª guerra mundial gracias a este juego.

Juégalo y lo merece.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 16 Critic Reviews

1. Oct 21, 2014
    The five hours or so of gameplay that you’ll get from a single playthrough are rewarding and memorable, with that fantastic storyline backing up some great puzzling action.
  2. Hyper Magazine
    Aug 12, 2014
    Artfully drawn, confronting and informative this is a different look at war, its consequences and it isn't afraid to put you though the wringer. Play it. [Issue#251, p.77]
  3. Jul 25, 2014
    Valiant Hearts: The Great War is a graphically superb puzzler, tackling historical events that are not perhaps known to everyone and doing it in a lighthearted, yet respectful manner.