Universal Pictures | Release Date: May 30, 2014
5.2
Mixed or average reviews based on 350 Ratings
Watch Now
LamontRaymondMay 30, 2014
Instead of paying 10 - 15 bucks to see the full movie (which is very long and not nearly coherent enough with LONG gaps between anything funny), just watch the trailer a couple of more times. Then pop in Blazing Saddles which is 100 timesInstead of paying 10 - 15 bucks to see the full movie (which is very long and not nearly coherent enough with LONG gaps between anything funny), just watch the trailer a couple of more times. Then pop in Blazing Saddles which is 100 times funnier on every level. Even my fave Sarah Silverman is criminally underutilized and under-directed. Shes looks bored. Expand
NightReviewsJun 3, 2014
Death is undoubtedly the strongest motif in Seth MacFarlane’s newest live-action feature film A Million Ways To Die In the West. And like the motif itself, one cannot help but be bored to death with a film, that started off as an inside jokeDeath is undoubtedly the strongest motif in Seth MacFarlane’s newest live-action feature film A Million Ways To Die In the West. And like the motif itself, one cannot help but be bored to death with a film, that started off as an inside joke between friends (MacFarlane as well as his co-writers Alec Sulkin and Wellesley Wild), and develops into a perfectly displayed example of what happens when people who have too much money are given the freedom to make any piece of cow dung they want.

If you are wondering just how and why A Million Ways was made in the first place, take this into consideration; MacFarlane’s first live-action feature, a film set-around a fouled mouth, prostitute loving teddy bear, only cost the studio $50 Million dollars and sought in about $550 Million, excluding profitable marketing and merchandising. A Million Ways has a production budget of about $40 Million, and will surely either recoup its budget completely, or draw in massive crowds for a pleasing profit. Seems like the wild west isn’t the only west with some issues. Western society is getting more and more involved with money making ideas than with any artistic ideas of merit at all, and because of that, our canon of comedy is suffering greatly for it. I can only imagine what our grandchildren and great-grandchildren will say when they see mere minutes of this and compare it to the classic masterful parodies before this like Blazing Saddles.

To say that MacFarlane’s A Million Ways is bad is giving it a compliment. Watching A Million Ways only once and being able to it endure it for the one time, is like watching the dumbest person you can image hitting a loved one unnecessarily for an extended period of time, and calling it comedy. Mixing in messy slapstick, vulgarity, violence, gore, animation and unrefined sexuality and sexually innuendoed jokes, MacFarlane better snuggle up and be comfortable beside his teddy bear for the sequel of his surprise summer hit Ted, cause A Millions Ways is worse than having monsters coming out from under your bed.

Like any good parody, the story begins similar to any other cliched generic story of a specific genre, in this instance, a Western centred around a poor sheep farmer Albert Stark (MacFarlane) and his inability to assimilate himself into the life of the frontier. Unable to grasp his hand or head around guns or gunfighting, MacFarlane writes himself as the lead protagonist with much knowledge and immense wit of today’s society, comparing it to the ridiculousness of the wild west. Albert, who avoids confrontation at all costs, backs-out from duels forcing his girlfriend Louise (Amanda Seyfried) to leave him for a wealthier and more macho man in town, Foy (ironically, Neil Patrick Harris). Depressed, lonely and unable to shake the feelings he has with his ex-girlfriend, Albert tries to find sanity and logic from his best friends and couple, devoted Christian Edward (Giovani Ribisi) and his prostituting girlfriend Ruth (the always hysterical Sarah Silverman). Albert, ready to give up, stumbles into the saloon one night and fatefully helps a beautiful Anna (Charlize Theron) escape a dangerous situation. As the two begin to bond over gun totting and a mutual hate of the wild west, Albert’s world is about to get shattered as his newest relationship finds him at the open end of Anna’s husband’s gun, a gun belonging to the notorious and deadly Clinch Leatherwood (Liam Neeson).

Just a few days ago, I mistakenly found myself watching a video online on the lost art of visual comedy. The video, which highlights the steps and excellent examples of visual comedy using the very small yet extremely talented filmography of Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz, Shuan of the Dead), reminded me how little visual comedy actually occurs in mega blockbuster comedies today. Jokes, actors, dialogue and sometimes stories are hardly the problem. Usually, the problem with so many of these polished and generic comedies is their dependence on the script and the focus of whats said and not what is happening. We are slowly approaching a point in our comedic pallet where the use of sound and picture is just a forum for actors to deliver jokes; think scenic stand up with props. A Million Ways may easily falls under this category (with the exception of a dangling sheep, or the drinking and riding scenes, which may very well be my favourite parts of the film). Staging is forgotten and thrown out the window (as are countless characters in the film) and what remains is a present mentality and hopeful comedic look at the outrageousness of the wild west. But, like any previous civilizations, there’s always bound to be unexplained and comedic understandings as to why people did what they did then. MacFarlane’s attempt to understand the wild west and make it a gross out, rude, crude and obscene comedy, just might inspire someone one day to make a comedy of people today, and their obsession with heir phones and technology.
adamsfourJun 7, 2014
Not funny at all. 16 minutes into it, I was ready to leave. I was on board when I saw Liam Neeson and Charlize Theron were starring in lead roles, but almost decided against when I saw Sarah Silverman- I should have listened to my firstNot funny at all. 16 minutes into it, I was ready to leave. I was on board when I saw Liam Neeson and Charlize Theron were starring in lead roles, but almost decided against when I saw Sarah Silverman- I should have listened to my first instinct yelling for me to RUN from this movie. I would say wait for Redbox, but not even worth the $1.25 rental. Expand
chumahanJun 3, 2014
It should have been called a million jokes die in the West. Surprisingly un-funny. I like Family Guy and maybe I'll still like Family Guy after wasting my money on this flop, maybe.
joydotMay 31, 2014
minus 5. lived up to its reviews. could have worked but it didnt. painful to sit through, which i had to in a tiny theatre with few exit options and none early. will be giving ted a miss...
SRenoJun 3, 2014
Could have been good, Mr. MacFarlane took his eye off the ball, spent more time with the gags instead of the story, always a problem. The Western is not dead you just have to write a good story, the gag movie is what's dead. Go watch TrueCould have been good, Mr. MacFarlane took his eye off the ball, spent more time with the gags instead of the story, always a problem. The Western is not dead you just have to write a good story, the gag movie is what's dead. Go watch True Grit or Young Guns or City Slickers or of course Blazing, good stories that's the common denominator.

This had such potential, it just sucks when you know someone misses the target. Case in point, Sarah Silverman is hilarious but it was obvious someone was trying to write stuff for her, she's funny the stuff she was saying in this movies was just dumb.. So disappointed, I was sure this was going to be a classic and it just fizzled out. There really wasn't any character that you could cheer for or boo against, just a lot gotcha humor. Oh well maybe next time.
JohnnyScumbagJul 20, 2014
If you're a bank robber and you need a place to hide for 2 hours while the cops stop looking for you outside, you still shouldn't see this movie. The movie is a production of Seth MacFarlane in his ongoing pursuit to become a movie star. ThisIf you're a bank robber and you need a place to hide for 2 hours while the cops stop looking for you outside, you still shouldn't see this movie. The movie is a production of Seth MacFarlane in his ongoing pursuit to become a movie star. This movie reflects on the ongoing seasons of Family Guy; incoherent, cheap, laud and full of propaganda that only a few elitists on drugs might share. This movie is not even worth an illegal download. Time spent watching this movie is time wasted. Expand
MattyiceMay 30, 2014
While I don't deny Seth MacFarlane's ability to make jokes, because I saw how good he can be as a director in Ted. However, this movie lacked any comedic charisma and while seth can be comical, he can't really act well. The main thing thatWhile I don't deny Seth MacFarlane's ability to make jokes, because I saw how good he can be as a director in Ted. However, this movie lacked any comedic charisma and while seth can be comical, he can't really act well. The main thing that killed the film was that all of the funny jokes had been given away in the trailers, making the movie lose much of the comedy it would have had without trailers. Generally, this comedy was not worth seeing, but hopefully Seth can come back with a much better movie than this poor performance. Expand
allisonjane65Jun 2, 2014
As others have already said, this plays much like an extended episode of Family Guy. Worse, it made me wonder why I ever liked FG in the first place.

Seth MacFarlane must be the most overrated and overpaid writer/director at work today.
RycluseJun 1, 2014
The nicest thing that I can say is that it's not an atrocity like other people have said; it's simply bad. Think a two hour long Family Guy episode, or however long this movie ran; the pacing was such a mess I couldn't tell. I'll admit thereThe nicest thing that I can say is that it's not an atrocity like other people have said; it's simply bad. Think a two hour long Family Guy episode, or however long this movie ran; the pacing was such a mess I couldn't tell. I'll admit there were a few decent chuckles to be had, but the humor was largely hit and miss, and they often forget the "humor" part of "crude humor". Being a parody isn't really an excuse for more "girl goes for the **** instead of the nice guy" cliche that's been worked to death. There are references, like that oh so funny Doc Brown bit from the trailer, but it serves no purpose in the movie, it's just another thing you're expected to recognize and laugh at. Expand
GreatMartinMay 30, 2014
Charlize Theron, if not THE most beautiful woman in the world, is certainly one of them as she shows in her, what has become a classic, Dior perfume ad. She has proven her ability as a dramatic actress winning an Oscar for her mesmerizingCharlize Theron, if not THE most beautiful woman in the world, is certainly one of them as she shows in her, what has become a classic, Dior perfume ad. She has proven her ability as a dramatic actress winning an Oscar for her mesmerizing performance in “Monster”. Now, in “A Million Ways To Die In The West” she shows she has the chops for comedy holding her own, and more, against Seth MacFarlane.

MacFarlene wrote the screenplay, with Alec Sulkin and Wellesley Wild, co-produced “Millions“ , directed the film and stars in the film. It tries to be a better satire/comedy on all the old western films but in no way does it even come close to the brilliance, satire and fun of Mel Brook’s “Blazing Saddles” which starred, was directed by and had the screenplay written by Mr. Brooks!

One glaring comparison where MacFarlane really fails is a ’farting’ scene which just turns gross in “Million” whereas in Brooks film you never fail to laugh out loud no matter how many times you see it. MacFarlene also has Mr. Brooks to thank for introducing farting on the Hollywood screen.

MacFarlene is a good looking man with an easy manner but he is taking the easy way out with using the F word and putting it in the mouth of his female stars along with other crude/rude words not too mention jokes based on all and every body fluids you can think of and repeating them.

Along with MacFarlene, and Theron, Liam Neeson as a gunslinger, Amanda Seyfried as MacFarlene’s girlfriend, Sarah Silverman as a prostitute and Giovanni Ribisi as her virgin boyfriend (don’t ask) also starring is Neil Patrick Harris in what has to be the nadir in his career in the scene that ends the farting scene!

“A Million Ways To Die In The West” is the latest in a string of man/boy comedies that presents vulgarity as comedy and isn’t funny. The film seems never ending and the way it ends is no surprise as is anything else nor the fact that it will be a hit with boys under 30. The film is rated R.

Do yourself a favor, even if you have seen it before, watch “Blazing Saddles” instead of going to see ““A Million Ways To Die In The West”, unless like me you will sit through any film to watch Charlize Theron!
bmaster4616May 30, 2014
By this time in the year, I didn't think a movie would come along that could ever beat Divergent as the worst movie of the year. Also, I didn't think it was possible for movie to be so **** bad that it almost makes this year a failure by theBy this time in the year, I didn't think a movie would come along that could ever beat Divergent as the worst movie of the year. Also, I didn't think it was possible for movie to be so **** bad that it almost makes this year a failure by the utter **** **** that oozes of its crevices. This movie is so **** bad, that I weep for anyone that laughed at this movie...(though I feel bad just laughing at only three parts that were internationally suppose to be funny). The only person that should laugh at this movie is preteens...if you're older than the age of 13 and you liked this movie, I feel bad for you because you're mom must have dropped you on your head when you were a baby.

Now if you've read to this point, you know I hate this movie...but that doesn't even tell the whole story. This movie is so **** unfunny and bad, that Jack and Jill might be a better movie...Jack and **** JILL!!!!! I walked out of this movie wanting to insert a device into my head so I could erase the memory of this movie from my head. I wasn't thinking at the moment, but I should have asked for my money bad while I was at it. This appointment, blatantly racist, and not funny movie is the reasons why kids are so **** up...I dead serious about that. Seth has had only a couple things made that are funny. Ted is one of them and the first Family Guy movie wasn't bad. This however might be worst than anything he's ever made...though I haven't see everything he's made. The movie is so **** stupid that Epic Movie is better...and yes...you read that right. I could go on an on about how **** idiotic this movie is, but I quite bored. .5/10
Filmwatcher123Jun 7, 2014
As a fan of the western genre and also of comedies such as Blazing Saddles and Family Guy i was really looking forward to seeing this movie to switch off and have a few laughs. Unfortunately this film did not deliver on its promise. Most ofAs a fan of the western genre and also of comedies such as Blazing Saddles and Family Guy i was really looking forward to seeing this movie to switch off and have a few laughs. Unfortunately this film did not deliver on its promise. Most of the jokes in the trailer were the "funny" parts of this film, and if you didn't laugh at them, you won't like this film. The funniest character by far was Albert's (Seth MacFarlane) dad, who had the most laughs in our screening, apart from that there was hardly a titter from myself or any of the other audience members. Aside from a few amusing cameos and a great performance by Liam Neeson, this film is hardly worth the stupidly long 2 hour run time. I personally would save my money and re-watch Ted. Expand
rosymaydogJun 20, 2014
Do not waste your time and money on this vulgar movie. The attempt at racist humor toward Blacks and Chinese was beyond politically incorrect. It's hard to believe any actor would stoop so low just to make a buck. If you personally haveDo not waste your time and money on this vulgar movie. The attempt at racist humor toward Blacks and Chinese was beyond politically incorrect. It's hard to believe any actor would stoop so low just to make a buck. If you personally have high standards and good values do not see this movie and put that garbage in your mind. I went with mu husband so I did not get up and leave although I should have so shame on me. Expand
bfoore90Dec 27, 2014
This movie was god awful, just plain god awful. It provided very very laughs or anything else even worth mentioning in a review. I don't even understand how Liam Neeson could even agree to a role in a stupid movie like this.
chrismovieguyNov 21, 2014
okay well i have to say that it was a true disappointment how this turned out not original not funny and sure not good i definitely can't recommend that you see this one of the biggest waist of my time this year couldn't say that I really gotokay well i have to say that it was a true disappointment how this turned out not original not funny and sure not good i definitely can't recommend that you see this one of the biggest waist of my time this year couldn't say that I really got any joy at all from this thing Expand
EpicLadySpongeJan 15, 2016
The entire movie is more like... "A Million Ways to Prove How Bad Your Movie Is!"... and the majority of that is suddenly the entire cast and directing.
rlindauJun 24, 2014
It's just not funny - you'd be better off just watching the trailer, which includes all the good parts (but not the undisciplined, excessive length, the excessive profanity, and the excessive excrement and urine "jokes"). If it were editedIt's just not funny - you'd be better off just watching the trailer, which includes all the good parts (but not the undisciplined, excessive length, the excessive profanity, and the excessive excrement and urine "jokes"). If it were edited to, say, 90 minutes, and those excesses removed, it would rise in my estimation to "just mediocre." Expand
Forrestgump1Jul 31, 2014
What is there in this world that Seth MacFarlane doesn’t do? writer, actor, singer, voice of beloved animated characters. Most folks will know MacFarlane from his work on the beloved “Family Guy” television show. However, more folks (likeWhat is there in this world that Seth MacFarlane doesn’t do? writer, actor, singer, voice of beloved animated characters. Most folks will know MacFarlane from his work on the beloved “Family Guy” television show. However, more folks (like myself), know him for creating the word of mouth sensation, and comedy blockbuster “Ted”. The little film that could, that film easily went on to become the highest grossing original R rated comedy of all time. So there is only one way to go...down.
MacFarlane is back in the directing chair (and starring front in center) in his new Western Comedy, “A MIllion Ways To Die In The West” a lampoon on the whole western frontier, that severely overstayed it’s welcome. For roughly the first thirty to forty minutes, the film was consistent. Chopped full of witty one-liners and decent charismatic charm from MacFarlane. So much so, the script is ideally the result of its own downfall. Once the premise and characters get introduced, it’s kind of like the crew did not know where to take their film after the first hour. The plot is very thin, and with a cast such as; Liam Neeson, Charlize Theron and Amanda Seyfried, I had never seen more underutilized characters in a film. I wanna suggest the film for it’s fun spin on the old west, and believe me when I say the first forty minutes is pure comedic gold, consistent and funny. After that, nothing special to write home about.

Albert Stark (MacFarlane) is a weak sheep farmer, forced to live in the backdrop of a harsh 1862 Arizona “wild wild west”, where in fact there are a million ways to die. From huge ice blocks crushing your skull...to your local pastor taking justice into his own hands. Even wolves devouring your local mayor..nobody is safe. After his gold digging girlfriend (Amanda Seyfried) dumps Albert for a local “mustache” salesmen (Neil Patrick Harris). Albert is determined to prove his worth and win his girlfriend back. That is until, a new girl breezes into town, (Charlize Theron) or “the big guns” and teaches Albert a thing or two. Little does he know. She is the wife of the most vicious gun fighter in the territory Clinch (Liam Neeson). Just another way to die in the lonely west.

Typically, westerns are an unusual sell at the box office. So I uphold MacFarlane for taking a more risky approach to the genre and making it more widespread, and appealing. The film is shot decently and has a great musical score that only MacFarlane can present. The main problem the film suffers from (as many of them are) is the Run-time. The film staggers out at about two hours and ten minutes … I mean what?!. Comedies (such as this one) only need about an hour and thirty to get the message across. MacFarlane tries to jam pack too much “West” down your throat. Like a dying car, the start is so full of gas..and then runs out ..and coasts on goodwill ..from “Ted” and “Family Guy” ..which can only go so far.

When discussing cast’s, this is one of the better ensembles in recent memory. Giovanni Ribisi, Charlize Theron, Liam Neeson, Sarah Silverman, NPH and Amanda Seyfried. Seth MacFarlane also showcases his one (of many) talents. However, when getting down to the basics, there is just too many of them to keep track off. Not to mention a boring running gag with Neil Patrick Harris character and his overzealousness with having a mustache. There is a few memorable cameos in the film, and some nice jabs at the west as well.

“A Million Ways To Die In The West” started off with so much potential, the idea, premise and characters. When your watching (or reviewing) a comedy .. the main thing I can stress is, consistency. If the film outpaces itself, it will just eventually fall downhill. This is a hard feature to acquire, most comedies tend to find pacing hard. There are rare exceptions (The World’s End, Hangover and even “Ted”). MacFarlane has a unique vision and entices enough goodwill that should fill seats. The broad and raunchy humor will appeal to younger crowds, but adults may find it repulsive and idiotic. There needs to be a definitive line, and sadly “A Million Ways To Die In The West” never finds one.

D+

Studio: Universal Pictures
Release Date: May 30th 2014

Thanks For Stopping By.
TheWayfarer73Oct 16, 2014
For me the best thing about this movie was that I rented it for $5.99. But even with that considered I felt ripped off. Like everyone is saying Seth is a funny guy, but in this movie he missed the mark way too many times and right out ofFor me the best thing about this movie was that I rented it for $5.99. But even with that considered I felt ripped off. Like everyone is saying Seth is a funny guy, but in this movie he missed the mark way too many times and right out of the gate no less. Wanted to like it but this is one of those movies I'd rather have not seen. Expand
lancekozSep 16, 2014
Hey, this movie basically sucked, and it was not because it was vulgar or politically incorrect or absurd or any of that... it just was not very funny. There were few jokes (many based on farts... puhleeze!), leaden dialog, simply thinHey, this movie basically sucked, and it was not because it was vulgar or politically incorrect or absurd or any of that... it just was not very funny. There were few jokes (many based on farts... puhleeze!), leaden dialog, simply thin writing. I don't know much about McFarlane... he seems talented enough for this and was the director I believe... but it was surprisingly un-funny. The odd thing was that it was GORGEOUS to look at... the color, photography, props, the attention to period details... marvellous. So I was left wondering why was all this talent and photography brought to bear on such a dog? With a few writing changes, they may've had a great serious Western. Expand
Friskytiger81Aug 16, 2014
Easily one of the biggest wastes of 2 hours of your life this summer. More proof that MacFarlene needs to stick to the small screen & sitcom runtimes. Movie takes itself way too seriously and for anything showing in great detail a sheepEasily one of the biggest wastes of 2 hours of your life this summer. More proof that MacFarlene needs to stick to the small screen & sitcom runtimes. Movie takes itself way too seriously and for anything showing in great detail a sheep urinating in the mouth of the star, that speaks volumes of the imbalance. Expand
beingryanjudeSep 6, 2014
Don't expect too much of the classic Seth MacFarlane humor you've come to know and love. A Million Ways to Die in the West, unfortunately, leans on profanity and underutilizes its own environment. Some of the jokes hit, especially SarahDon't expect too much of the classic Seth MacFarlane humor you've come to know and love. A Million Ways to Die in the West, unfortunately, leans on profanity and underutilizes its own environment. Some of the jokes hit, especially Sarah Silverman--she might be the best part overall. Expand
handjiveJun 2, 2014
Take away some nice wide shots of Monument Valley and all that is left in Million Ways is a deadly flat dull unfunny trial of patience. Because the pitiful script knows no shame, I can understand perfectly why we see an inane cameo by GilbertTake away some nice wide shots of Monument Valley and all that is left in Million Ways is a deadly flat dull unfunny trial of patience. Because the pitiful script knows no shame, I can understand perfectly why we see an inane cameo by Gilbert Gottfried. The mystery of the year is why Charlize Theron allowed herself to get anywhere near this steamer. Expand
Gamed2longJun 19, 2014
Its hard to explain this film. Oh wait. Not really. 2/3 of the funny gags are in the trailer and its got a really simple plot. There are a lot more gags. They just aren't funny. The most impressive part of this films is the A list talent SethIts hard to explain this film. Oh wait. Not really. 2/3 of the funny gags are in the trailer and its got a really simple plot. There are a lot more gags. They just aren't funny. The most impressive part of this films is the A list talent Seth MacFarlane somehow got on board. That Charlize Theron could play her roll straight, and make you believe sparks were flying between her and Seth MacFarlane is a testament to her acting. Even though Liam Neeson and Neil Patrick Harris have smaller rolls, they slam them out of the ballpark without much effort.
The background scenery is beautiful, and they did a top notch job with the old west sets. Similarly the CG isn't overly ambitious but is very effective for a handful of scenes.
Really this film is like an episode of family guy. Problem is its a bad one. Too many forced tongue in cheek jokes to not enough honest humor. And a bit of racism. The moment that went off the deep end for me is when Seth did a 4th wall moment to explain a really crude joke that wasn't funny to begin with.
If you believe there are no bad family guy episodes this is the movie for you. If not there are 2 decent cameos I'm sure will pop up on youtube soon enough.
nicholasbertOct 25, 2014
Seth MacFarland is a genius, no doubt about that. Some bits in Family Guy contain satire, political activism and humour all in once; but A Million Ways is a little too vulgar and not enough entertaining. The jokes are randomly placedSeth MacFarland is a genius, no doubt about that. Some bits in Family Guy contain satire, political activism and humour all in once; but A Million Ways is a little too vulgar and not enough entertaining. The jokes are randomly placed throughout the whole of it, and most of them have already been heard.

We can really see MacFarland is not really much of an actor as he is a writer, but he can still get away with it because people know that's not what he's supposed to be doing. Besides that, the other "important" actors in this film must have had a great deal of fun working on it, so I guess it paid off being in a brainless comedy.

It's a parody, so I'm not sure if the set and the costumes were supposed to look fake, either way they do.
MovieGuysJan 24, 2015
More like A Million Reasons to Skip This Movie. Just another stupid attempt at comedy from MacFarlane, A Million Ways to Die in the West is a terrible movie. Almost all of the jokes fall flat, and the movie is very one-note; I only laughedMore like A Million Reasons to Skip This Movie. Just another stupid attempt at comedy from MacFarlane, A Million Ways to Die in the West is a terrible movie. Almost all of the jokes fall flat, and the movie is very one-note; I only laughed twice. If you want to see a funny parody about the West, watch Mel Brooks' 1974 romp "Blazing Saddles". Enough said. Expand
HorridusJul 5, 2014
THIS IS BAD... the jokes are from some 1980 kiddy club, and it feels like a lifetime... you know the feeling when you take a 10 hour + flight , and you feel like you're been sitting in your seat forever, just dying to get up and off theTHIS IS BAD... the jokes are from some 1980 kiddy club, and it feels like a lifetime... you know the feeling when you take a 10 hour + flight , and you feel like you're been sitting in your seat forever, just dying to get up and off the plane, but there is still 3 hours to go... same thing with this movie, Seth Mcfarlane can NOT act , seriously i cannot belive that this has any reference to Family guy , only thing that bumps this up to a 2 is that Liam Neeson does a decent job , the 117 min. movie is 116 min. of Seth McFarlands massive ego telling bad jokes !!! Expand
ozymandias79Sep 14, 2014
The best way to describe this waste of time is UNFUNNY. It gets a one for Charlize Theron. Seth MacFarlane shouldn't stray from voice acting..........
IMAX500Oct 31, 2014
Wanted to see this movie, Rented for 4.99. Waste of money and time. Sound Mixing OK, Acting OK, Storyline: (Groan) Not Good. Got Bored of this movie. Replay Value: Very Low. Future Reviews Coming Soon: Big Hero 6, X-Men: Days of Future past,Wanted to see this movie, Rented for 4.99. Waste of money and time. Sound Mixing OK, Acting OK, Storyline: (Groan) Not Good. Got Bored of this movie. Replay Value: Very Low. Future Reviews Coming Soon: Big Hero 6, X-Men: Days of Future past, Hunger Games Mocking Jay Part 1, Hercules, Maleficent, Edge of Tomorrow, Planes: Fire & Rescue, Earth to Echo, Into the Storm. Expand
JuniorDJun 2, 2014
While there were a couple things to make me smile in the film, the laughs, for me, were few and far between. A couple of the cameos were nice surprises, and Charlize Theron held her own in showing her comedic abilities, but many of the film'sWhile there were a couple things to make me smile in the film, the laughs, for me, were few and far between. A couple of the cameos were nice surprises, and Charlize Theron held her own in showing her comedic abilities, but many of the film's jokes felt forced and somewhat pretentious. Macfarlane seemed far too interested in forcing his outrageous-for-the-sake-of-being-outrageous jokes onto the audience, practicing almost no true wit or any hint of subtlety. The majority of the lazy attempts at humor fell flat, and seemed to come off more-so as desperation. Edgy humor has been and can be pulled off with much more grace. Macfarlane instead relies too heavily on simply blurting out the first thing to come to mind, no matter how half-baked a joke it may be, and flashes that all-too-aware grin while pretty much staring directly into the camera, somehow thinking that is enough to sell anything he says. Overall, he only came off resembling a child who yells and breaks his crayons when he is trying to get a rise out of his parents. If he weren't so focused on his tries to upstage every other person in the film by attempting to show off the mountains of wit he appears to be under the delusion of possessing, this might have been a halfway decent comedy. The landscape and many of the Western set pieces were beautiful, but otherwise, this film is largely a waste of the much more interesting supporting actors it contained (with Theron and Neil Patrick Harris, in particular, actually trying to do something different with their characters). I now remember why I stopped watching Family Guy seasons ago. Expand
gilezySep 5, 2014
What a poor film i only got through an hour and 10 minutes of it.The story line is rubbish but i kind of expected that of a comedy but it wasn't even that funny. A few jokes that gave me a chuckle but it was just not that funny and veryWhat a poor film i only got through an hour and 10 minutes of it.The story line is rubbish but i kind of expected that of a comedy but it wasn't even that funny. A few jokes that gave me a chuckle but it was just not that funny and very boring to watch don't waste your money and more importantly your time i have many better things to do such as have a fap. Expand
funkonionJun 16, 2014
The two big questions going into this movie are 1) Is it funny? and 2) Is Seth McFarlane funny? Yikes. Unfortunately, no and no. Hand to gods, I gave this flick a fair chance. But it's embarrassingly unfunny and has the same stale vibe asThe two big questions going into this movie are 1) Is it funny? and 2) Is Seth McFarlane funny? Yikes. Unfortunately, no and no. Hand to gods, I gave this flick a fair chance. But it's embarrassingly unfunny and has the same stale vibe as modern Family Guy episodes: try-hard jokey jokes strung together to fill time. It's pretty clear that this picture is Seth McFarlane's swing at being a comedic lead. It's a swing and a big miss. Ted was great. Early Family Guy was great. This is most definitely not great. It's actually embarrassingly unfunny. Expand
themad_guineaJun 22, 2014
Let me begin by saying wow! What a piece of crap.
I went into this expecting laughs and to have a good time but this movie was horribly disappointing.
Let me begin by saying wow! What a piece of crap.
If you have seen the trailer than congratulations, you have seen the best parts. Watch Ted or Family Guy and you will have a much better time.
The movie is essentially a drawn out fart joke. Seth must have some serious (potentially career ending) dirt on Leeson to have talked him into taking a role in this flick.
If you are really desperate to see this immediately I suggest finding a copy online; sure you will not enjoy the quality you would otherwise in a theater but you won't be kicking yourself in the ass for spending $10-$15 a ticket halfway through when you realize this piece of crap does not get any better.
Mike_SJun 23, 2014
Seth MacFarlane's humor may be funny to some but I find that the constant sexual innuendos and direct commentary was far from being funny. The movie was disgusting and was the first movie that my wife and I ever walked out on.
hopstarJul 14, 2014
I can spend an afternoon watching cat videos, and laugh 3x more than I did throughout this movie. But then again, they are cats. That is hard to beat!
MrFreshdomJul 23, 2014
This movie is painful to watch. It tries just tries too hard and achieves so little; and it relies on shock value to even deliver what little it does. It's not even funny as a comedy, and even fails as a cheesy movie. I mean, is that supposedThis movie is painful to watch. It tries just tries too hard and achieves so little; and it relies on shock value to even deliver what little it does. It's not even funny as a comedy, and even fails as a cheesy movie. I mean, is that supposed to be the joke? Furthermore, even if he's a good writer and a decent director, Seth is terrible at acting anything beyond voices. It was painful to watch him try. If you enjoy watching good comedies avoid this one. Expand
mrshoes74Oct 12, 2014
Seth Macfarlane behind the scenes is a genius he is just no that easy on the eye. I turned this film off after 10 minutes. One question. What the hell was Liam Neeson thinking?
WJSMar 14, 2015
I'm a fan of "Family Guy" and I enjoyed "Ted", but something is really wrong with this movie...it's not funny! It has a great cast that's absolutely wasted here. I just kept hoping that it would eventually become funny...but it didn't.
DCEdmondsJan 26, 2015
"A Million Ways to Die in the West" 10 Scale Rating: 1.5 (Awful) ...

"A Million Ways to Die in the West" 10 Scale Rating: 1.5 (Awful) ...

The Good: I might have chuckled once or twice. Otherwise, the film's only saving grace was the supporting cast. Liam Neeson was especially strong, hamming it up as the film's antagonist.

The Bad: Hopefully, Seth MacFarlane now realizes that he just doesn't have the on-camera charisma to carry a film. In this particular vanity project, MacFarlane was unlikeable, unfunny, and even seemed out of place in his own movie. The overwhelming majority of his gags and one-liners fall flat and he comes across as a wannabe comedian in high school trying to wow his class with zingers. The film wasn't going to be great anyway, but MacFarlane makes it much MUCH worse. His schtick only seems to really work on TV's "Family Guy" (and to a MUCH lesser extent the film "Ted") and just doesn't translate well. One of the worst films of 2014.
NatT96Aug 13, 2015
This movie was good in the first like 30 minutes then it got overly boring. None of it could keep my attention at all. The plot is gosh awful and the characters just don't work at all. Seth McFarlanes latest flicks are disappointing and thisThis movie was good in the first like 30 minutes then it got overly boring. None of it could keep my attention at all. The plot is gosh awful and the characters just don't work at all. Seth McFarlanes latest flicks are disappointing and this is just another example of something that just doesn't work at all. Expand
mattkerr494Apr 8, 2018
Watched Mar 07, 2018

Matt Kerr’s review published on Letterboxd : When I seen the trailer for this film almost 5 years ago, I remember saying to myself "That looks like the worst film ever". This is not the worst film ever. That still
Watched Mar 07, 2018

Matt Kerr’s review published on Letterboxd :

This is not the worst film ever.

That still doesn't mean its particularly good.

Also, I'm pretty sure Seth MacFarlane made this film just to make a back to the future gag.
MarkiniNov 30, 2018
Long winded and pointless. A couple funny moments do not save this 40 minutes too long mediocre Blazing Saddles. Such a wasted cast on a waste of time.