Paramount Pictures | Release Date: April 6, 2018
7.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 993 Ratings
Watch Now
StevieNoominApr 7, 2018
First movie review ever - but my thoughts on this film are so polar opposite than the critics I feel compelled to write..

The premise of this movie is beyond idiotic, and as soon as you begin to ask yourself questions (who planted / harvested that corn quietly? why don't they set up a homestead near the noisy waterfall? why don't they have bird bangers or other noisemakers set up to go off at random intervals to disguise the noises they make? How is that baby so incredibly quiet? How is this family of four living on 3 fish a week? How was no one else on Earth able to find the solution to this problem - finding out how to turn their strength into a weakness seems pretty obvious) and on and on... the whole thing becomes so overwhelmingly dumb that it is hard to stay in the theatre. How could these morons be the only people left on Earth? I had not read any reviews before I went and I assumed it would be rated awfully - I could not believe it when I saw all of the positive reviews. If you want to enjoy this one, you will really need to turn your brain off entirely.
AchtlosApr 10, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't recommend someone watch this over any other film, horror or not. The acting is solid, the premise of the film is ok. The plot and actions are predictable, and only unpredictable when they make no logical sense. The film pacing is amateur. The cgi alien is ok but derivative. The suspension of disbelief is nonexistent. The whole film culminates in the last family in at least their region, maybe the world, just shooting the alien in the face (with a shotgun), after such an long build up, we get that? There was no reason to have the father in the film at all, kill him off early and the tough mum could have carried it to the end. But the whole end was they shoot it? This film would be difficult to watch in a noisy household, the cinema goers laughing (and eating loudly or farting) was bad enough. I was desperately hoping the alien or the whole family stood on the damn nail one by one. Honestly, I wondered if an hour of movie was edited out, and there was a lot more story and a different ending before the final cut. Look out for that version. Expand
DanSApr 14, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 1. The aliens are blind, possessing extraordinaly sensitive hearing, yet they cannot sense the humans with sonar. Nevertheless, they navigate freely through trees, etc. 2. If humanity wanted to survive, couldn’t they have just sent out protective earmuffs to humanity, some instructions to soundproof their homes, and then ruined the aliens’ hearing with loud noises? Also, apparently a shotgun works. 3. I’m sorry, but after the boy dies in the beginning, there is no way that those parents are having sex in the near future. Yet, they do. Soon, they’re pregnant again. The world seems like a great place to raise a baby, doesn’t it? Stupid/non believable characters abound in this film. 4: The aliens are stupid. I feel sorry for them. The characters could have simply played a game of 'piggy in the middle', throwing sounds back and forth until the aliens ran themselves into a hole and died. 5. The old man in the forest. Just... what? I actually made a metacritic account just to say this movie is terrible. All you people giving this film 10/10... I don’t understand you. I mean, fair enough - we’re all entitled to an opinion, but really? Stop thinking with your wallets and your eyes. This film has no substance or intelligence... suspension of disbelief is impossible (I really wanted to like this film). You people raving about this film being brilliant, please go and watch Ridley Scott's ALIEN or John Carpenter’s THE THING, then see if you stand by your rating. Dan Expand
CLopez82Apr 7, 2018
Don't you just hate how noisy your shoes are?

Don't you just hate how noisy your shoes are?

This movie is apparently like an IQ test. I'd rather watch the Paris Hilton remake of "House of Wax", or "Jeepers Creepers 2" 10x than sit through this brain-dead POS 1 more time. It forces you to have quiet contemplative moments to reflect on how absolutely retarded its derivative plot devices, and all of its characters are.

Slim Whitman head explosions anyone? JFC!

Where's Vin Diesel when we need him? ...wait, wrong sense. My bad.

Sand? Sand!

Why use a lantern if you have so many lightbulbs? Gotta start fires somehow I guess. That Monopoly money's not gonna burn itself. Oxygen cannister? Butane lighter! Check.

Where'd that peksy baby coffin lid go? Who cares!

Why don't monsters sink in corn? I dunno... Dort dort dort!!!

25 security cameras, 100 jury-rigged hearing aids, 2,000 red lightbulbs, and not a single wired up airhorn? Sure... Why not.

How heavy is sand? How do you harvest corn quietly? If I shout over a HAM radio, and nobody's tuned in, does it make a sound?

Shrug.

Waterfalls! Of course! WATERFALLS!

...and candles! We need MORE candles!!! Kids, follow the sand-trail downtown and GET ME MORE CANDLES!

And more farm-to-table family dinners, more Edison lights, and more g-darn electric lightbulb-lit kerosene lanterns sitting on top of hay stacks.

...and stupid children, we'll need a lot more of those!!!

J F F'ing C this is the best-rated absolutely horrible movie I've ever sat through... Blair Witch Project has been de-throned, and I dread the clones to follow.

The weed at SXSW must have been pretty damn good ... (Psst... I created an account on here just to post this, because it's that bad. I tried not to include spoilers, but the plot is so mind-numbingly bad I think I maybe crypto-spolied it. Whispering is effective.)
georgiadrewApr 8, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Movie Goes NO-Where - but quietly. Plot is filled with gaps: where did alien invaders come from and why didn't the army shoot them? why have a baby in this world? why didn't the scientists at Harvard and MIT figure out how to get rid of them - when a 12 year old girl could? Good if you are a middle school kid, otherwise it's a big disappointment. Expand
greghellApr 9, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have never left a review for a movie before but this movie is so bad and for some strange reason has such good reviews that I felt compelled to write one. You have to skip the first 45 minutes if you don't want to fall asleep. After you've wasted 45 minutes of your life your get another 45 minutes of nonsense. A horror movie is supposed to be scary at some point, not this horror classic, maybe there are scary moments but maybe I missed them while yawning. The creatures weakness is sound, and no one in the planet figured that out? I thought of using sound against them 30 seconds into the movie. Having a kid? guess no condoms in post apocalyptic world. People sink in the corno silo but not the monster, guess they have levitation powers. The monster ripped open the silo in seconds but cant tear open the truck, guess he was tired. They drove an old truck down a mountain but those sounds didn't attract the monster, really?????. The sound proof room is suddenly flooded, where is this water coming from? no river or pond close by, guess we have magic water in this movie. And the electricity, the have electric power which we have no idea the source of this power, maybe the have infinity stones o something. These are just a few of the plot holes, too many to list. I tried to enjoy this movie but it was just too too bad. Expand
Rebecca31Apr 6, 2018
Builds the tension to perfection, I absolutely loved A Quiet Place. A family must live out their lives in silence to avoid being killed by mysterious monsters that hunt purely by sound. A gripping and hugely intense experience. I know it’sBuilds the tension to perfection, I absolutely loved A Quiet Place. A family must live out their lives in silence to avoid being killed by mysterious monsters that hunt purely by sound. A gripping and hugely intense experience. I know it’s only April but this might just be the best horror of the year.

Starring and directed by John Krasinski, also starring Emily Blunt, Noah Jupe and Millicent Simmonds. A horror/thriller done right, A Quiet Place delivers exactly what you expect and more. It wastes no time getting started, you’re plunged into silence for a good portion of the film so for all you noisy popcorn munchers out there you’ve been warned. A movie that requires everyone to remain quiet, every sound is deafening and the frights have an even greater impact. A tense and thrilling experience build around a simple yet original idea. A Quiet Place achieves what many horrors fail at, it doesn’t fall apart in the third act but more importantly it will scare you. Highly recommended.
Ch3wIe_69Apr 7, 2018
Made an account just to give this piece of junk a review. Who are these people giving thumbs down to negative reviews here? Why does this movie have such high reviews from rotten tomatoes, Washington post, IMDb, Roger Ebert? Has the worldMade an account just to give this piece of junk a review. Who are these people giving thumbs down to negative reviews here? Why does this movie have such high reviews from rotten tomatoes, Washington post, IMDb, Roger Ebert? Has the world gone mad? The movie is slow. And when i say "slow," I mean very slow. The movie felt like a drag from beginning to end. Being a Michael Bay movie (I didnt know going into it), it lacks entertainment and action, let alone big explosions. The movie is mostly in sign language and the theater was so quiet that I could hear people farting. It might as well have been filmed in black and white. The movie lacked substance, plot, setting and acting was mediocre. Please dont waste your money, you have been WARNED. I would have given it a negative rating if I could. I await the thumbs down with PRIDE!!! Expand
TyranianApr 12, 2019
One of the best horror/thrillers I've seen and apart from the loss of the son this film is very clever.
Iky009Jan 4, 2019
Ao mesmo tempo que me surpreendi com a qualidade da trama, vi também um filme que explora muito bem sua incrível premissa, juntando a tensão, drama e a inquietação, nunca pensei que o poder do som poderia ser tão assustador.
akino3Jan 20, 2019
We all know you need to keep silent when there are aliens roaming outside. But, what if you needed to do this all the time to stay alive? That's what makes this movie so great, bear the unbearable...
EtiliasFeb 25, 2019
What can I say, I cried, I screamed, it was awesome. Both John and Emily did an amazing job in the movie and at times I was eating my own damn fingers from all the tension.
Troubledkid97Dec 27, 2018
There are a few non-logical things here and there in this film like other reviews have pointed out. But I've seen a truckload of horror movies that can't even follow the simplest logic. At least this movie has a coherent plot. If you want aThere are a few non-logical things here and there in this film like other reviews have pointed out. But I've seen a truckload of horror movies that can't even follow the simplest logic. At least this movie has a coherent plot. If you want a good scare and aren't too nit picky, this movie is for you. Expand
SamComedianFeb 24, 2019
"A Quiet Place" en Inglés o "Un Lugar Tranquilo" titulada en Castellano, una película que te hará estar en tensión de principio a fin.
Emily Blunt está increíble en la cinta, con una de sus mejores actuaciones sin duda, por otra parte, cabe destacar también, la gran actuación de su marido, John Krasinski.
Un filme diferente a lo visto hasta ahora en el cine, unas criaturas que han llegado a la tierra con un oído super desarrollado, al mínimo ruido, estaremos perdidos.
Una película de 10 sobre 10, increíble. Mi Decimo segunda critica u/o review de la sección de Movies.
ScorpioZeroMar 1, 2019
John Krasinski is such a brilliant director!!
he makes such unique and original movies!!
John Krasinski is such a brilliant director!!
he makes such unique and original movies!!
When I watched this WONDERFUL movie, I noticed that I had to be quiet. It was the most stressful and the hardest thing I have ever done during a movie. For example, when it was a really quiet scary part, (I watched this with my dad) all you can hear is CRUNCH
NoahPfisterFeb 27, 2019
How to make a horror movie masterpiece, a lesson by John Krasinski: Have the horror movie be a drama first and horror second. It's amazing that Jim Halpert from the Office had a horror movie masterpiece in him. It's something you'd neverHow to make a horror movie masterpiece, a lesson by John Krasinski: Have the horror movie be a drama first and horror second. It's amazing that Jim Halpert from the Office had a horror movie masterpiece in him. It's something you'd never expect from him. Ever. Needless to say, this movie IS a masterpiece, with a solid premise that really excites anyone who hears it. A Quiet Place will have you gripping your seat from start to end. It's brilliantly acted, directed, and co-written by John Krasinski, proving that he may be a director to reckon with in the near future. Emily Blunt gives a solid performance and so does the kids, who you'd think would be the worst part of a movie like this, but they're really good and super believable. The story (besides the incredible premise) is brief but brings power with every scene that is put on screen. You will quickly care for this family, more so than other on-screen characters in other horror movies. Plus, it is clear that the writers played situations cleverly, using spoken words only when the situation actually calls for it. No one's an idiot (actually one exception but spoiler) and the family is betrayed in a way that makes you believe they're real, which is really hard for the horror genre. With amazing pacing, and use of sound, A Quiet Place manages to build tension in the most brilliant way possible -- and Marco Beltrami's nail biting score only adds to this tension building. The creatures are nothing short of terrifying, and could possibly land a place next to Alien and Predator in terms of design and pay off. The movie uses sound so excellently and only makes for a more intense experience. If there is one downside, it's that some of the scares seem really cheap and I mean REALLY cheap. Plus, there is a few (TINY) parts that could be considered plot holes, but they're easily forgiven -- same with the CHEAP scares, because it is as I said before, the horror takes second and the drama takes priority. At its heart, A Quiet Place is a family drama about humans (a family) having to adapt to a new and dangerous threat, while also teaching a valuable lesson on family and the importance of the sense that is sound. You should watch it, then watch it again, because this movie deserves it, and other horror movies should be taking note, because THIS is how GOOD HORROR is done. Expand
MoviezNPMar 6, 2019
Take notes, you so-called horror film writers and directors. The primary requirement for a horror movie to be good is to be thrilling and being intense. Not just cheap scares or silence followed by an incomprehensibly loud noise. .
Good :
Good : "A Quiet Place" directed by John Krasinski is a genuine and tensed horror/thriller. It has a unique premise and backstory. The setup for the story has been done well. The performances by John Krasinski and Emily Blunt, along with the child actors is awesome. The direction of Krasinski is "awesomer". The tension and the thrills were genuinely great. That's something I have not seen in a horror/thriller for a long time. Speaking of horror, what we take as "scary" is totally subjective. If you're watching this to get some jumpscares or to see a ghost, this ain't your movie. There are many moments that give us the feeling of getting into the jaws of death, unexpectedly. Those were some real thrills. And, the characters know what's gonna kill them and why. So, whenever such things take place, the tension is amplified (no pun intended) and whether or not they are gonna succeed at the particular moment keeps you terrified. For me, anything that keeps you terrified is real horror than some ghosts and jumpscares, so I got my "horror" part in this movie, after a long time. It's not that it doesn't have any false scares, just one or two though. Whenever something goes wrong, you can feel the s**t happening. That's some incredible directing. .
Mixed : The final moments were a bit less satisfying for a thrill ride we witnessed for the majority of the movie. There are some notable plot holes regarding some sounds making no significance in the context of the movie's own rules, the way a lot of food, medicines don't get used up after such a long time, the crops being harvested (without any noise?) etc. The movie also shows certain stuff as if it was trying to say "see this is a plot device, see see SEE!" and it actually is so. .
Bad : One plotline with Emily Blunt and her "youngest child" was something that made no sense to be honest as per the movie's own rules and was obvious to play out in the later part of the movie. The way it was playing out was damn good, but we knew that something was up regarding this. .
Conclusion : I cannot overlook the flaws but man, I had a great time watching the movie. It's flawed but intriguing. It's probably the first Krasinski movie (directorial) I liked so much. .
Rating. .
Score : 8.3/10
Grade : A-
SergioneJul 21, 2018
Great acting indeed, but: if there wasn't any movie like this i would say great,but there is a ful bucket or look a like things, the movie keeps the atention, good sound/silence around theme. But nothing inspiring, nothing educational,Great acting indeed, but: if there wasn't any movie like this i would say great,but there is a ful bucket or look a like things, the movie keeps the atention, good sound/silence around theme. But nothing inspiring, nothing educational, nothing new at the end. Emily is great as allways. Yes it is a movie to watch, No it is not a movie to rewatch again. Expand
RtheomMay 30, 2018
This was an okay film, but it needed to be thought through a bit more. The universe they've created doesn't follow a set of logical rules and the characters are only half baked. I couldn't believe the family in this movie would survive a weekThis was an okay film, but it needed to be thought through a bit more. The universe they've created doesn't follow a set of logical rules and the characters are only half baked. I couldn't believe the family in this movie would survive a week in this apocalyptic world, let alone over a year. The actors did the best with what they could, but you can tell that the direction was lacking. Overall, it was enjoyable enough, but it mostly just felt like the monster chase scene from every horror movie ever stretched to a full movie length. Cool idea, but not the best execution. Expand
deadsparrowMay 18, 2018
This movie has a lot of plot holes and you have to be willing to suspend disbelief. If you can do that this is a story that you can enjoy for the problems it offers you to think about and for the periodic scares it delivers. Emily Blunt isThis movie has a lot of plot holes and you have to be willing to suspend disbelief. If you can do that this is a story that you can enjoy for the problems it offers you to think about and for the periodic scares it delivers. Emily Blunt is the lead actor but the two children add to the tension as it develops. A rating of 6 is generous but Emily is too good looking for anything less. Expand
BloodAndWineJul 4, 2018
First half had promise but it falls apart in the second half. Overbearing score, too much foreshadowing, and the movie's internal logic doesn't seem to be too well thought. I don't think all the rave reviews will do this movie any favors asFirst half had promise but it falls apart in the second half. Overbearing score, too much foreshadowing, and the movie's internal logic doesn't seem to be too well thought. I don't think all the rave reviews will do this movie any favors as it has fallen far below expectations. Overall, it's a mediocre movie that squanders it's potential. Expand
drlowdonMay 26, 2018
With most of the Worlds population having been killed by creatures, of an unknown origin, that hunt using sound the Abbott family have found refuge on a small farm but must still be wary of making any noise.

After a shocking prologue I found

After a shocking prologue I found the A Quiet Place rather slow going for the first half hour or so. The excellent cast, including the always reliable Emily Blunt, always keep things watchable however and as proceedings ramp up in the second half of the movie the original premise leads to some really tense, dramatic and emotional scenes. One for those who don't mind their horror movies on the slower side.
Jes1310Jan 18, 2019
Great script, brilliant acting (how did they make the kids perform like that), great story. Just a great little indie horror film, which is a must see.
ViolettJul 8, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pros: - Nice and unique idea - to live without sound - Emily Blunt is great actress, acting at all, of all actors in this move is good - Daughter-actress is deaf in real life - this was strong and noble act by director

Cons: numerous plot holes, NUMEROUS - First of all - who in such place and such time ever so stupid to give birth to children? Worst place imaginable. No condoms or? Beyond stupid - Why in the world they have so many light devices but only one firework to distract creatures out? Seriously, some air horns away from home? No? But more lamps for sure!

Well, I understand those terrible plot holes had to be here to make a movie as it is. In other time I would give it 2 or 3 out of 10, but now I give it 7 due to pros. Can I recommend it? I'm not sure, prolly not though.
gmonster320Nov 25, 2018
A gripping story about how sound can kill (and we humans are a noisy bunch). John Krasinski (who also wrote and directed) and Emily Blunt (they are married IRL) do their best to protect their family but it isnt easy. Fortunately there isA gripping story about how sound can kill (and we humans are a noisy bunch). John Krasinski (who also wrote and directed) and Emily Blunt (they are married IRL) do their best to protect their family but it isnt easy. Fortunately there is enough character development in "A Quiet Place" so we care about this group and root for their survival. You'll be thinking about sound in a new way after the movie ends. Would you be able to survive in such an environment? I'm not sure I could. Expand
manningn15May 13, 2019
This is my 2nd favorite horror movie and one of my favorite movies of all time. The atmosphere of the movie was cool, creepy, and fantastically scary. I loved how original the concept of the movie was. Emily Blunt and John Krasinski gaveThis is my 2nd favorite horror movie and one of my favorite movies of all time. The atmosphere of the movie was cool, creepy, and fantastically scary. I loved how original the concept of the movie was. Emily Blunt and John Krasinski gave performances that were stupendous and Millicent Simmonds also gave a great performance. John Krasinski's direction that he took the movie was spectacular. The visual effects were terrific, the creatures were creepy and awesome. The sound design for the movie was very impressive. I also loved the use of sign language by the cast. An A+ movie. Expand
CTHReviewsNov 1, 2018
I really really enjoyed A Quiet Place. Lots of great visual storytelling, brilliant acting, and (mostly) great characters. Although the parents make a choice that sounds incredibly dangerous and irresponsible.
amehannaNov 20, 2018
Psycho, The Shining, Silence of the Lambs, Seven, all part of the history of cinematic psychological thrillers, all leaving a mark on audiences, and now they are joined by A Quiet Place.

The film, without a prologue, tells the story of the

The film, without a prologue, tells the story of the Abbott family of four as they navigate their lives in silence after mysterious creatures that hunt by sound threaten their survival. Actor-Director John Krasinski crafts this film with a focus not on the “scares”, not on the “creatures” but on the aspect of the narrative’s core family, all the while ensuring that every single beat the narrative sets up is used and paid-off later in the film.

By placing emphasis on the family, Krasinski gives this film a level of intimacy that heightens the fear-filled experience of the overall picture.

A Quiet Place’s success rests on three elements of production.

The first is the shoulders of the cast due to the fact that the narrative from a macro-level is a simple survival film, but on the micro-level, the film is about the family and their connection with each other, their love for each other, and how far parents would go to protect their own.

Emily Blunt delivers what it by far her most powerful and genuine performances of her career as the matriarch of the family.

Having to worry about giving birth to a new baby, while dealing with the loss of her youngest son, Blunt has to present a very dynamic, layered, and complex character in the most grounded way possible.

Blunt’s performance should force the Academy to nominate performances in genre films more often because she deserves a nod for this.

The two younger actors Noah Jupe and Millicent Simmonds in many ways upstage their older counterparts.

Millicent Simmonds, who is actually deaf, brings in a concreteness to her performance and a reality that aids the film feel more grounded. Simmonds plays the feisty rebellious daughter who is trying to figure out her place within her family and trying to come to terms with the loss of her youngest brother while partly blaming herself for his passing and fearing that her father dislikes her.

Noah Jupe’s innocence and heart also offers the film its vulnerability that is needed for a narrative like this. His character’s arc as a young boy having to grow up and the fear and struggle to learn to be the man of the family.

John Krasinski’s maturity and ability to juggle three positions (actor, director, and producer), also delivers a heart-felt performance as the family’s patriarch.

In a touching scene, Blunt’s Evelyn asks Krasinski’s Lee, “Who are we if we can’t protect them?” – a question that resonates in this day and age with the world being a dark and hopeless place.

Krasinski, a father of two, clearly brings forth his human and fatherly fears and infuses it into every single scene in the film.

The second aspect that brings forth A Quiet Place’s success is its intricate sound design and sound mixing. Creating sonic envelopes, a dynamically layered soundscape that shifts perspectives to enrich the audience’s experience within the film, the sound designers and sound mixers strike a home run with their work on this feature.

Sound in the film is the enemy of this family, it is the antagonist of the film in many ways which makes the narrative quite interesting.

The final element that ensures this film becoming a film listed in top psychological thriller lists, is its universal ideology.

Sure, Krasinski has stated that the film is about what parents would do to protect their own, but deep down the film is more than that.

The film, with sound being the thing that brings about danger, tackles how families sometimes avoid speaking to each other in fear of hurting one another.

The father who won’t forgets to remind his daughter that he loves her, the mother that can’t get over how in her heart she feels that she failed her son, the son who doesn’t want to take over his father’s role, and the daughter who wants to be a leader and not let herself be labeled by her disability.

This layer brings such a reality to the film that will hit you in your core.

A Quiet Place is a must-see, not as a psychological thriller, not for the adrenaline rush, but for its masterful craftsmanship as a film about the need for communication and the importance of family.
BakibenzMay 21, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The concept is great and there are plenty of good scares. Having said that, the ending really ruined the film for me. It was just stupid. Expand
GrachechkovskiAug 9, 2018
I like the movie by horror new wave's style and it's one of beautiful example. Ideal film for actors because it almost has not dialog. Also, I don't like children in this movie because they give the impression that they want to killI like the movie by horror new wave's style and it's one of beautiful example. Ideal film for actors because it almost has not dialog. Also, I don't like children in this movie because they give the impression that they want to kill everyone. So, I recommended to watch it in a quiet place Expand
othassnsDec 27, 2018
this film brought me a great mix of feelings that no other film of the genre sharpens me, the majestic direction of john krasinski leaves the public tense from beginning to end, who marries perfectly with the great performances, thus becomingthis film brought me a great mix of feelings that no other film of the genre sharpens me, the majestic direction of john krasinski leaves the public tense from beginning to end, who marries perfectly with the great performances, thus becoming the best film of the genre in that year! Expand
kinopan725Oct 14, 2018
THE STORY IS VERY SIMPLE BUT VERY NICE,
i saw many horror movie,this one WAS really good,
but the movie was too short . you should 100% watch it
harvdog03Oct 31, 2018
Really good movie. I feel that many things were expressed in this movie with the actors being almost completely silent. It had some really deep feels as well.
BennyCKChiaDec 17, 2018
The best cinematic experience in five years since GRAVITY. While the sci-fi featured audience a space travel experience especially when watched in IMAX, this unconventional horror chills audience with its soundless terror. Excellent script,The best cinematic experience in five years since GRAVITY. While the sci-fi featured audience a space travel experience especially when watched in IMAX, this unconventional horror chills audience with its soundless terror. Excellent script, flawless cinematography plus top notch acting from an ensemble cast makes this a cult classic horror of its kind. One of my best movie in 2018. Expand
AussieNateJan 3, 2019
A very taut thriller with excellent performances. I feel like this movie would be even better without a score- play on the silence a bit more. Excellent flick, thoigh.
SteerpikeApr 11, 2018
Mysterious my foot. You've seen Alien? They're Aliens. The best thing about this film was the audience; not a peep out of them (bar the occasional gasp,) the entire running time. Good sound design didn't need the intrusively ominous score andMysterious my foot. You've seen Alien? They're Aliens. The best thing about this film was the audience; not a peep out of them (bar the occasional gasp,) the entire running time. Good sound design didn't need the intrusively ominous score and if you've seen a film where someone clamps their hand over their mouth while a glistening spiky monster hisses and crackles past behind them, then you've seen this. The scariest thing in the movie is def a nail sticking out of a plank. Not so much a series of set-pieces as one set-piece played out ten times. Another five minutes and I would have become inpatient. Expand
marcmyworksAug 3, 2018
Though not necessarily all that scary, A Quiet Place is a roller coaster of tension. It truly is an original film in an era of reboots and remakes. I praise the acting of John Krasinski and Emily Blunt who have proved to be some ofThough not necessarily all that scary, A Quiet Place is a roller coaster of tension. It truly is an original film in an era of reboots and remakes. I praise the acting of John Krasinski and Emily Blunt who have proved to be some of Hollywood’s leading talent. Expand
SoulWarfareMay 28, 2018
An amazing new fresh idea for the horror genre that while uses some horror cliches still manages to grip you and keep you on the edge of your seat
BeastJ18Apr 23, 2018
I did not expect such a riveting and heart-pounding film from John Krasinski. It is terrifying and touching. The editing and cinematography lends to the extreme degree of tension that the sound design creates. The performances all-round areI did not expect such a riveting and heart-pounding film from John Krasinski. It is terrifying and touching. The editing and cinematography lends to the extreme degree of tension that the sound design creates. The performances all-round are fantastic and very believable, surprising given the extreme nature of the situation. I was however disappointed in some of the logic and decision making throughout. Also, an important reveal and the pacing of the action at the beginning took away from some of the tension and psychological impact. Expand
moviemitch96Apr 6, 2018
Interesting and clever concept, so-so execution. Krasinski is able to balance both directing and starring in the film rather well, but his ideas towards the story seemed a bit scattershot at times. In addition, I felt as though it became moreInteresting and clever concept, so-so execution. Krasinski is able to balance both directing and starring in the film rather well, but his ideas towards the story seemed a bit scattershot at times. In addition, I felt as though it became more and more predictable towards the end and the ending was quite a cop out to me. I will say however that the chemistry between Krasinski and his wife/costar Emily Blunt and the two children (Millicent Simmonds and Noah Jupe) was well-done. Overall, it really was an ambitious idea for a story, but it fell rather short of its potential in my opinion. Expand
mrdr4gonApr 7, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The performances and much of the second half of the film makes up for the amount of illogical and pointless things that happen in the name of creating tension that actually don't do that at all. In the end it feels like a Doctor Who episode in as much as we're basically watching a character slowly work out something that has been mercilessly hammered into our skulls as an audience. That's what most of the movie is in the end. Split on rating this a 5 or 6 but I guess I'll be generous. Expand
sgy0003Apr 7, 2018
I did not find the movie scary, as I have grown out of monster-type horror movies. The monster itself wasn't that groundbreaking, as it looked very generic.

What the movie excels at is expressing human emotion without speaking a single word. Most of the movie dialog is through sign language and facial expression, and you can tell what the characters in the movie are going through. There are moments when they are able to speak without attracting the monster, but those scenes aren't as powerful as the rest of the movie.

Overall, all the actors did an amazing job at making the characters feel real.
KaitouApr 20, 2018
An incredibly detailed story that focuses on family relations. You may think you have a plot hole in the movie, but read the newspapers and remember the days! They list every reason why your "plot hole" is wrong. What may be bad about the movie is the massive amount of unnecessary jump scares, but it adds to the theme of A Quiet Place. Other than fabulous acting by the Millicent Simmonds, the best thing about the movie is sound direction. Each character has their own version of hearing everything and every time the camera moves to them, you will hear what they hear. You know each character's roles and how they feel in every situation. There is a screen which shows a death and a suicide, which may deter you and probably the only confusing part of the movie (anyone may comment on it here if they have a better explanation) - the only value it would add is the importance of family and how losing your loved ones can effect you. The conclusion was very well though-out because it was a random chance, not something scientifically articulated.
en_peyar_varunMay 20, 2018
'A Quiet Place' manages to blend horror with emotions and each and every creek propagates the fear to the audience, making them root for the characters. Emily Blunt's career best, award winning performance ( especially the labor scene) powers'A Quiet Place' manages to blend horror with emotions and each and every creek propagates the fear to the audience, making them root for the characters. Emily Blunt's career best, award winning performance ( especially the labor scene) powers the movie along with the knack for inducing horror, thanks to John Krasinski. Expand
LeehamMay 30, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excellent, old-fashioned entertainment, this smartly paced and plotted monster pic pits Krasinski the actor up against Krasinski the director and he pleasingly brings about a respectable peace between the two. Effectively scary and taut with its running time, it may well be the biggest surprise of 2018. Blunt's final scene is a wonderful homage to the heroines of action films past. Brilliant fun! Expand
DubeauJul 23, 2018
A Quiet Place is a nice concept film. The story is simple and efficient. It setup the tension for horror perfectly and then progress naturally. The FX is mainly on the creatures, and they are intriguing and dangerous. The children behaviorA Quiet Place is a nice concept film. The story is simple and efficient. It setup the tension for horror perfectly and then progress naturally. The FX is mainly on the creatures, and they are intriguing and dangerous. The children behavior might be something that isn't always consistent...but then you know this is on a long period of time. And children and young adults aren't always consistent with their emotions and decisions. In that sens, the film is logical. The ending is a mix of positive and negative. I give it a 85% easy. This movie is an instant classic and will stay as a reference for many good reasons. Expand
HeyyoitsmeramboApr 22, 2018
A must see in the theater! One of the best parts is the silence and hearing the “oh my god” from other movie goers. Great movie overall.
Vitor007Sep 2, 2018
Sometimes silence can say more than 1000 words. A terror that does not use the scare as the main requirement, but brings us the perception of how this genre can be meticulously thought out and reproduced in a way that almost leads toSometimes silence can say more than 1000 words. A terror that does not use the scare as the main requirement, but brings us the perception of how this genre can be meticulously thought out and reproduced in a way that almost leads to perfection. Literally speechless. 8.8/10 Expand
JoeCoolMar 17, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie builds up the tension well. It's a bit hard to believe that the people surviving the invasion of these monsters would actually be so effing stupid, but hey if they had any smarts at all there would be no need for a sequel in which they wipe out the monsters. When you start to think about it, a whole lot of things just don't add up in this story. Stupid, stupid people. The monsters only react to sound, no smell, no sight, kill only to kill, not to eat. How the hell did they survive and how did they manage to terrorize humankind into near extinction? Of course they managed, because humankind is nothing more than a bunch of morrons, right? What could be the weakness of these monsters? Oh please!
Granted they're nice baddies at the start of the movie when you hardly see them at all, but near the ending it gets rather preposterous. The whole thing is a poorly thought through joke. But it was nice for the first half of the movie, hence a 5, which is very generous when you start thinking the world that was portrayed. Just after seeing the movie you'd probably rate it a bit higher, but if you start trying to make sense of it and start thinking about what you actually saw it just all falls to pieces and a 3 would be more than adequate. There is a LOT wrong with this movie. Things that just don't make sense. Leave your thinking hat at home, you won't be needing it if you want to enjoy the movie.
frozen82Jan 3, 2019
Its kind of a mixed bag. Idea, atmosphere, some visuals, acting and overall feel are great and refreshing going back to "old school" horrors but it has many problems in its story. First thing "the rules" are not clear- what level of soundIts kind of a mixed bag. Idea, atmosphere, some visuals, acting and overall feel are great and refreshing going back to "old school" horrors but it has many problems in its story. First thing "the rules" are not clear- what level of sound triggers monsters. Then there are monsters themselves that to me are really not that scary and with so overdone design, your typical Carpenter the Thing from almost 40y ago. Problem with monsters is also that they kind of "just appear" out of nowhere that again goes back to rules and not fleshing them out to be more something authentic (maybe materializing instead of just rushing in) First 30 min. of a movie are really slow and boring, I know it wants to establish family ties but it could do it more effective and do more with that time. It picks up when action starts but then again its too disjointed and wastes time on nothing, scenes that make no sense, bending the whole dynamic action part of the movie in stupid direction for pointless "self sacrifice" cringe moment. There are lots of other things to nitpick that are illogical but wouldn't bothered me if the basic premise was done right. But even with all its flaws I liked it for its ambition even if it fails to deliver. Expand
justwibiAug 19, 2018
oh yeah. i'm so glad that this movie is more than just an horror/Thriller film! this is obviously talk about current issues!!!! What a Talented Couple (Krasinki & Blunt)
ranjan04rajeevJun 27, 2018
I do not usually like a horror movie, but in recent years there have been some really good horror movies, this one also can be added to that list, Short and precise movie plot revolves around mainly the sudden burst of sounds to scare you butI do not usually like a horror movie, but in recent years there have been some really good horror movies, this one also can be added to that list, Short and precise movie plot revolves around mainly the sudden burst of sounds to scare you but the acting and directions is really good which keeps you pulled inside the movie, as the monster looks invincible till the end. Expand
cameronhalmansOct 3, 2018
A great theater experience for me. This film actually had the the theater so quiet that you could here a pin drop. I honestly am surprised by how well John Krasinski directed this movie. I loved everything about it. There's a scene in thisA great theater experience for me. This film actually had the the theater so quiet that you could here a pin drop. I honestly am surprised by how well John Krasinski directed this movie. I loved everything about it. There's a scene in this film where fireworks are shot off in a certain time of distress and it's honestly one of the most memorable and well directed scenes I've seen in awhile. A Quiet Place is a fantastic monster thriller that focuses more on the people than it does then monsters. I love this aspect because it gives you something to digest and relate to. 88/100 Expand
MovieReviewer45May 25, 2018
Notably, one of the best horror films of 2018.

Notably, one of the best horror films of 2018.

The amount of dread and fright in this movie is subtle. I remember the condition of the theater house when I watched this film, surprisingly the environment is as quiet as the movie itself because you are anxious of what will happen something terrifying or frightening out of the film. This movie had made me jump or scare out of myself because of its sudden or unexpected scares.

The cast performance is great and their commitment in the movie of being silent as part of their roles is just astounding. Overall, this horror flick is an enjoyable and memorable treat.

Rating: 8/10 -> 4/5 stars
DagdaXIIIMay 28, 2018
John Krasinski, here you know perfectly how to tell a story with basically sounds, and that is not achieved every day, the tension that creates that environment is admirable, as we are worried because our protagonists do not make noise, whatJohn Krasinski, here you know perfectly how to tell a story with basically sounds, and that is not achieved every day, the tension that creates that environment is admirable, as we are worried because our protagonists do not make noise, what a bad time when they do it without wanting to know what can happen, I consider quiet place a great work this year. Expand
reichertyoungJun 10, 2018
A really good film, because of its thoughtful well designed details in shots, story and charscters.
ShadezofblueJul 7, 2018
This movie kept me on the edge of my seat... it didn't try to answer any "why?" questions as most Sci-Fi/Horror flixs try to, it just delivers the goods.
jonslowOct 21, 2018
7/10.
A new type of the horror thriller monster movie which I like it but has many flaws.
NoelReviewerOct 18, 2018
I thought it was really good.It was fun but had me on the edge of my seat. My only regret is I didn't see it in theaters. I think this is a great movie and it is my 2nd favorite movie of 2018. 9.5/10.
Raptor_HackerOct 18, 2018
Name: A Quiet Place
Release Date: April 6, 2018

My Rating: 8.6/10
Star Rating: ★★★★★★★★★
Enjoyability Rating: Is definitely worth buying on Blu-ray
Possible Points: 60/70
ItsJustArcherNov 2, 2018
A Quiet Place is one of the most overrated films of the year, and yet, I can see why that's the case. It's not bad by any means, it's just not as great as what many people deem it to be.

Actually, I did enjoy the film quite alot... despite

Actually, I did enjoy the film quite alot... despite some real stupid logic, and some dumbass decisions by the characters in the film. My main problem is that it's a horror film that fails to give any legitimate scares at all. Though this is considered as a horror film, I just wasn't scared because the plot of the film just simply doesn't completely work as a horror film. If anything, I can buy this film as a sci-fi thriller film and just that. Although I wasn't scared by the film, the horror-esque atmosphere, tone and feel of the film is consistently done well. The best part about this film is probably the concept. When done much better, this film could be one of my favorite films of this year. Emily Blunt and John Krasinski both give really good performances, and the kids weren't actually annoying, surprisingly. I like the film. It's a good "horror" film with a great concept that just wasn't thought out and delivered in the best way possible. I'm looking forward for Krasinski's works in the future.
ViniciusBritoApr 14, 2018
The best thing about the movie is surely the world building that they did, the role system that the characters had to not make one single sound was great, they literally thought in everything. The characters did placed something that itThe best thing about the movie is surely the world building that they did, the role system that the characters had to not make one single sound was great, they literally thought in everything. The characters did placed something that it seemed to be salt, or something, in the paths that they needed to use for then, it doesn't make any sound by the steps. The kids playing a board game, using cotton as their game pieces, throwing dice at the carpet. Using sign language, it's incredible how even the kids knew how to use the system, like the parents probably taugh them since they were little children. The movie also showed how the family were self sufficient, how they get their food, in the river, or with planting and showing a place full of corn, and that they usually go to the city to take some supplies.
Delivering problems and bigger situations than the plot itself, like Emily characters is preagnant, throughout the movie you keep asking yourself, how in hell she will get a baby without warning the monsters and the movie delivery it with mastery. One of the kids is deaf and the father try to make a device for her to star listening and foward on the story it does have a bigger purpose, isn't their just for be, everything does have a meaning in the story. And they also did show how they could warn when some monster was close without making one sound, they literally though in everything. The characters cannot make a sound, but the script put them in the most impossible situations to not make a sound as possible, it is sadistic. The atmosphere and the sound of this movie are just amazing, like every minumum sound you can hear and be afraid that if it was to loud, the sound design for this one is fabulous.
It is scary and terrifying in some moments, the movie have a prologue that just show us perfectly without one word how the movie will be, it does gave to us that sensation of danger that can be reached with a simple error, making a minimum noise, it does this perfectly, you got tense during the movie, any sound that they do, you got paralyzed and scared of what might happen. Every single sequence with the monsters were phenomenal, they are scary and dangerous, because they can't see it does make it so much more intense, it did reminded me a little bit of The Last of Us and Until Dawn.
All the actors did a tremendously good job. Emily Blunt in general did a great job, but are some sequences that i won't mention because it is spoiler, but in some particular moment that she is hurt with her baby and is passing for a big struggle, she can pass the perfect idea of despair and fear, her face and full composition of body delivery it perfectly, she is holding emotions. John Krasinski also did a great job, he have a expression of concern that i completely bought it, he can express the idea of love and that he is trying to do the best for his family, he also is the director, wich did a phenomenal job at it. Millicent Simmonds character is actually deaf, just like the actress, and she did a great job in expressing her rebellion in some situations, her concerning with his brother and a possible blaming herself moment. Noah Jupe wich is the other son of the couple, he is very good, doensn't have much to do as the others, but he does express perfectly his fear and his trust on his father, he is concern and did a very good job.
It is somethings in the movie that was bad and didn't make sense at all, there is one sequence with Emily in a situation, a situation that is important and you got curious about what is going to happen, then the scene is cutted for another thing, and when it does come back to Emily the role situation is gone like nothing did happened, that seemed like a continuation failure on the movie. Later on the movie are two situations that i didn't though that was righ, with the boy. The cgi and design of the monsters was great, they are scary and completely pass that dangerous and disturbing sense, every time that they showed you got stunned by them, they are completely ferocious and super violent, you understand how they are and wich are their abbilities, the movie did it in a great way.
The cinematography is great, like if you are not hearing much, your vision gets more sharpened, every cam is creative, they put a lot of empty places at the scene, for us to get scary and tense if the monster will show up, the characters are put against light to make us concentrate more in the background, and when the monster is on screen it does change to a more close one for us to not know where is it. There is one color thing that when it is showed the red, the dangerousity sense goes so high that i can't even remember when i got that feeling before.
The end of the movie with some new knowledge gained during the film, make the end being the best possible, getting implicit what is going to happen and letting the viewer thinking how did it go.
back_in_1939Apr 7, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Funny Things:
A Character Dies because she's deaf.
and A Character Lived because she's deaf.
Astor_Apr 23, 2018
The story revolves around a family (of 4, after the youngest son died) being 'stuck' in a farm, where its general surrounding (and likely the entire rural country side area) is being roamed by three flesh eating aliens/monsters. TheseThe story revolves around a family (of 4, after the youngest son died) being 'stuck' in a farm, where its general surrounding (and likely the entire rural country side area) is being roamed by three flesh eating aliens/monsters. These monsters are unique in that they are blind, but highly sensitive to loud sounds/noises, which they rely sorely on for hunting preys. The first early part of the film has slight problem on the pacing. Things start to get tense when the family members in the film got separated, and subjected to traumatic, life threatening attacks by the monsters, after an accidental loud noise in the house attracted them directly to the farm. Other than the horror aspect, the family love/bonding aspect is reflected very strongly, and brought out in an emotional, though sad way.

This is an above average horror movie you should consider watching, even if you are not a fan of horror films.

By the way, I read some of the negative reviews, which are mostly complaints about illogical parts in the film. Seriously, it is impossible to make a 'good' horror film if the film maker has to to be logical to the dot. Horror and science fiction is about make-believe made into a story. In fact, if every film is subjected to high level scientific scrutiny in the logical aspect, almost all films (especially horror and sci-fic genre) will be **** If the film never mention about any logic aspect of any plots or ideas in the film, it is either meant to be unknown or open-ended. If you want the proper answer, ASK the director or screen writer. If you want logic based video productions, go watch science documentaries. Do not consider watching any horror/sci fic films, since they will all seem illogical to you. And if this movie is a bad horror film, then what is a good horror film? Name any title that qualifies that. lol
NEILTON_1962Apr 11, 2018
No Brasil, levou o nome de "Um lugar silencioso"; deverá ser um dos melhores filmes de terror/suspense, deste ano, com boa performance da Emily Blunt.
avoidingfern207May 2, 2018
dumb plot holes and an inconsistent tone ruined what was otherwise a fairly competent horror movie.
SesshomuraiApr 8, 2018
This is a great movie. Well written. Well acted. Great directing from a new director. At first I felt like there might have been a few minor plot holes but upon further thought there are decent explanations that aren't necessarily obvious. IThis is a great movie. Well written. Well acted. Great directing from a new director. At first I felt like there might have been a few minor plot holes but upon further thought there are decent explanations that aren't necessarily obvious. I recommend this movie. Expand
lenny68Apr 17, 2018
An atmospheric and suspenseful movie well worth seeing though as others have said, not the scarefest some of the critics have made it out to be. If you've got the patience for it and are prepared to overlook some inconsistencies I'dAn atmospheric and suspenseful movie well worth seeing though as others have said, not the scarefest some of the critics have made it out to be. If you've got the patience for it and are prepared to overlook some inconsistencies I'd thoroughly recommend it. Expand
eagleeyevikingApr 13, 2018
Atmospheric, laced with terrific performances, and effective thanks to its simple premise, John Krasinski's "A Quiet Place" isn't groundbreaking, but it accomplishes what it sets out to do competently. 7.5/10
avr50Apr 8, 2018
A must see experience. I already knew that the movie was getting excellent reviews, so my expectations were high for this movie, and I was shaking at the end of it. The movie is really tense and really (and surprisingly emotional) Some wouldA must see experience. I already knew that the movie was getting excellent reviews, so my expectations were high for this movie, and I was shaking at the end of it. The movie is really tense and really (and surprisingly emotional) Some would argue that this is a suspenseful movie, but is actually a horror movie, but a lot of people wont se this movie like that because at this days were not used to this type of movie. The thing is that, the movie presents this family, and we care for them, and the things that they´re going through are really terrifying, so to us is terrifying as well. The performances are excellent, with the acting there is nothing more to say than incredible. Emily Blunt is the one that gives the best performance, but everyone is brilliant. Her husband (the director, co writer and star in the movie) proves that he is capable enough to take a project as interesting as this and not leave it just in interesting. The work that he does is fantastic, specially with the sound of the movie that is one of the main protagonist in the movie. I have two issues with the movie. The first is that, (this is not a spoiler) Emily Blunt´s character is pregnant, and that is not believable, not considering the situation that the characters are living, it´s true that the pregnancy stuff adds something to the movie, but still is not believable. And the second flaw that I found was the last twenty seconds of the movie. That is when you notice that the movie was produced by Michael Bay. At the end, A Quiet Place is one of the most intense and scary movies that I have seen, and I highly recommend this movie, I can say that the movie was an experience. And please, stay as quiet as possible in the movie, because it will not be the same if you're eating popcorn very loud, or if you're cellphone rings in the middle of the movie. Expand
akenaton1984Apr 7, 2018
Quizás pudo tomar caminos más difíciles al mostrarnos el final de nuestros personajes, pero se le perdona. Tiene un uso increíble del sonido y el color. Obviar el sonido nos adentra en un retrato intimista, en principio, y luego nos sirveQuizás pudo tomar caminos más difíciles al mostrarnos el final de nuestros personajes, pero se le perdona. Tiene un uso increíble del sonido y el color. Obviar el sonido nos adentra en un retrato intimista, en principio, y luego nos sirve volver omnipresente la tensión. Expand
allisonjane65Apr 7, 2018
Although I didn't find A Quiet Place scary, I did find it extremely tense and suspenseful. At the preview screening I attended everyone in the audience watched with bated breath, like me, reluctant to make a sound. I've never seen an audienceAlthough I didn't find A Quiet Place scary, I did find it extremely tense and suspenseful. At the preview screening I attended everyone in the audience watched with bated breath, like me, reluctant to make a sound. I've never seen an audience eat popcorn so quietly! Expand
FranzHcriticApr 9, 2018
It's one of most unique and intriguing horror premises of the last twenty years. A movie without cliches or over-the-top gore. The actors embody the tension and suspense of the atmosphere and the movie keeps you in that terrifying yetIt's one of most unique and intriguing horror premises of the last twenty years. A movie without cliches or over-the-top gore. The actors embody the tension and suspense of the atmosphere and the movie keeps you in that terrifying yet irresistible position, when you don't want to look, but you can't turn away, the clear cut sign of a good horror movie. Expand
AriaSalessiApr 11, 2018
A Quiet Place is breathtaking, original, and horrifying, what else could a person want in a horror movie these days filled with cliches?
ExorioApr 10, 2018
Great movie. Just one thing that bother me : why not build a house near the waterfall? haha.

Anyway I would like to see a sequel (or prequel that is) that explain the event, specially the creature.
JNOTRApr 14, 2018
Suspense in its pure state. I met several people who came out disappointed thinking that this would be a horror movie in the style of The Conjuring so I notice that it is a suspense movie without jumpscares or ghosts but if scenes that areSuspense in its pure state. I met several people who came out disappointed thinking that this would be a horror movie in the style of The Conjuring so I notice that it is a suspense movie without jumpscares or ghosts but if scenes that are putting the tension and make you hair stand on end. The first half hour of movie starts quiet, but then not for a second. The effects of sounds are incredible, just like the soundtrack. Emily Blunt and John Krasinski are amazing. The only thing that I do not like are a couple of plot holes (I do not name them because they do not spoil) and that many things are repeated. Expand
PeterAlexanderMay 18, 2018
A Quiet Place is pure tension from start to finish, with every camera shot and every sound filled with agonising intensity. It is more than just a scary movie however. It is at heart a powerful story, filled with thought provoking themes andA Quiet Place is pure tension from start to finish, with every camera shot and every sound filled with agonising intensity. It is more than just a scary movie however. It is at heart a powerful story, filled with thought provoking themes and questions of family and humanity. Expand
LoveeLandApr 10, 2018
It took me a day after seeing this film to finally stop thinking about it. It's emotionally heavy (much like I Am Legend was) and will certainly impact the emotionally attached viewers. I can't get into my real complaint with this movieIt took me a day after seeing this film to finally stop thinking about it. It's emotionally heavy (much like I Am Legend was) and will certainly impact the emotionally attached viewers. I can't get into my real complaint with this movie without a spoiler, so I will just say I personally didn't like the way they ended it. It's as suspenseful as any movie you will ever see and brilliantly acted by everyone. I too wouldn't call this a horror film, but it is certainly a suspense/thriller that belongs with the best. GO SEE THIS MOVIE! Expand
Captain105Apr 15, 2018
John Krasinski has created a master piece of sci fi, horror. Every scene is suspenseful and thrilling, it shows how we underestimate not being able to make sounds or speak so the quietness will make you jump when you here a normal sound. TheJohn Krasinski has created a master piece of sci fi, horror. Every scene is suspenseful and thrilling, it shows how we underestimate not being able to make sounds or speak so the quietness will make you jump when you here a normal sound. The only thing I disliked was the design and the monsters them selves they were not scientific and way to unknown ( where do they come from? What are they?...) but I get why Krasinski was trying to focus more on the struggles of the family not the monsters. ( it also took way to long to figure out how to kill the monsters. ) Expand
milanklauiApr 8, 2018
An excellent film that keeps you on the edge of your seat. The acting is top-notch and the film makes clever use of sound, making jumpscares feel really well timed. Horror isn't going to get much better than this.
Wilkers910908Apr 10, 2018
Its a brillant movie with a suspense, which accompanies you all the time till The twisted, stary end :-) I encourage everyone who likes a Good cinema, full of action and unforgettable scary moments... Go ahead n’ watch it cuz its worth it ;-)Its a brillant movie with a suspense, which accompanies you all the time till The twisted, stary end :-) I encourage everyone who likes a Good cinema, full of action and unforgettable scary moments... Go ahead n’ watch it cuz its worth it ;-) I believe you won’t regret it ;-) Expand
the_zach_mambaApr 16, 2018
An incredibly unique take on the horror genre. The first ten minutes have you on the edge of your seat, and when the climax of the introduction ends, you are already hooked. Great directorial debut by John Krasinski.
KenmeiJul 29, 2018
Amazing sound direction really drives home this movie as one of the best of the year. The suspense that is built just by use of silence alone is amazingly well done. And Kraskinski does a great job in his first real directing role. The storyAmazing sound direction really drives home this movie as one of the best of the year. The suspense that is built just by use of silence alone is amazingly well done. And Kraskinski does a great job in his first real directing role. The story is where things start to fall apart here as literally nothing is explained about the world and why things are happening. Also the big "reveal" at the end of the movie losses alot of its impact for anyone who's ever read a Venom comic or saw the old Spiderman cartoon show. Alot of what kept me interested in watching the movie was the great sound direction and the superb acting by Kraskinski and his wife, Emily Blunt. Even if there are only about a paragraphs worth of lines spoken in the movie, they do alot to keep the viewer emotionally invested. I just wish the story wasn't as dull as it was and had a little bit more content to it. I'd still recommend the movie anyone who is interested in a suspenseful thriller but I don't think it lived up to the lofty reviews that everyone seems to spout when they talk about this. Expand
LuciusMcGibbonSep 7, 2018
It's pretty low on actual horror, but high on tension... It takes a lot to make me squirm, but there is one scene (you know the one) that had me balled up in my chair going "holy crap, holy crap, etc." That is an achievement in itself.It's pretty low on actual horror, but high on tension... It takes a lot to make me squirm, but there is one scene (you know the one) that had me balled up in my chair going "holy crap, holy crap, etc." That is an achievement in itself. Overall, it's a capably crafted piece that would have actually had some scares to it if only they didn't spoil the baddies so early in the film. Expand
RobbyPMay 2, 2018
Very intense film with some incredible acting from the entire cast. The sound is utilized hyper-effectively and the story is original with smart characters. I thought the "horror" elements could've been more effective though. I wanted to beVery intense film with some incredible acting from the entire cast. The sound is utilized hyper-effectively and the story is original with smart characters. I thought the "horror" elements could've been more effective though. I wanted to be more scared of the monsters, but after being shown every angle of them, they weren't so horrific. A case of less is more! Expand
nj06May 2, 2018
A surprisingly good movie. Quite innovative. Cliche-avoiding thriller. Good tight script, competently executed. Excellent acting by the entire cast.
EpicLadySpongeJul 25, 2018
A Quiet Place could be the best horror movie I have ever watched in a long time and that means a lot considering that I have something against horror movies these days. It's literally sad how a horror film with barely any speech communicationA Quiet Place could be the best horror movie I have ever watched in a long time and that means a lot considering that I have something against horror movies these days. It's literally sad how a horror film with barely any speech communication is a lot better than horror films with said speech communication. When I first saw this as a trailer before the movie was released, I thought this was going to be another one of those stupid horror movies, but boy, was I wrong in so many directions. I do recommend watching A Quiet Place if you literally want to get a lot of scares that actually work. Expand
silversaihanMay 3, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excellent thriller. It can be quite slow burning but the pay off is fantastic. Would recommend to catch this in cinema. Expand
thedaywalkerMay 6, 2018
This is one of the best thrillers i've ever seen, John Krasinski did an amazing job directing this. Not relying on cheap jump scares, but great moments of tension and suspense that keep you on the edge of your seat. Emily Blunt and JohnThis is one of the best thrillers i've ever seen, John Krasinski did an amazing job directing this. Not relying on cheap jump scares, but great moments of tension and suspense that keep you on the edge of your seat. Emily Blunt and John Krasinski performances are great giving much needed depth to this characters, and making the tragic moment in the movie really hit me. This is in no doubt one of the best movies i've watched this year Expand
MoishApr 28, 2018
Builds tension really good and for what it is it´s handled realistically, besides not going deep into the story and getting to the conclusion really quick its enjoyable and clearly states John Krasinski as more than just a good actor.
AngryShark92Sep 8, 2018
A Quiet Place is an interesting movie, its premise and idea for plot are interesting, I really liked the idea of having these monsters being ultra sensitive to hearing, and I usually love movies that are post-apocalyptic, so it did not takeA Quiet Place is an interesting movie, its premise and idea for plot are interesting, I really liked the idea of having these monsters being ultra sensitive to hearing, and I usually love movies that are post-apocalyptic, so it did not take much convincing for me to watch this flick. Plus its Jim right, what could go wrong?

The movie centres around a family who are trying to survive in a decimated post-apocalyptic world that has been overrun with monsters (aliens?) that have ultra-sensitive hearing. Simple premise, concise and to the point.

A lot of friends who saw this movie in theatres recommended this movie to me simply because they thought that critics had grossly overrated this film, so that was my mindset when I watched this. As stated before, I thought the premise of this movie was interesting, but the execution of the film was mixed for me. As many have mentioned before me, there are lot of plot holes and conveniences that occur in this film to keep it moving along. This movie builds the setting well and wastes no time showcasing the dangers of the creatures that preside over the world as it is. I liked that the movie was able to introduce the threat quickly and traumatically and building a deep sense of worry for the family we have yet to become fully acquainted with. These kinds of introductions hit hard and let you know what you're in for. Unfortunately, it gets worse and worse from there.

I am sorry to say that outside of Emily & John's characters, there is no believability for the writing of the other characters, as in the children. The thing is, there cannot be that much writing to begin with, as most of the movie does not have actual person to person dialogue. It is not that the other actors are children and have little acting experience to speak of, it is simply that they were designed to conveniently cause every problem and raise tension out of sheer stupidity. Normally, you could also attribute this to youth experience, but when you put "Day 472" on the screen, that leads me to believe that these 2 kids have had almost a year and a half of experience in dealing with this world and its dangers, yet every single decision they make moving forward is absolutely asinine and contradicts their experience level completely.

On top of this, the conveniences to raise tension... Why on earth would you ever consider having a newborn baby in a world where you must be absolutely silent to survive? While this lead to one of the better scenes in the movie, where Emily's character has absolutely everything go wrong with her at once and has to work out of a terrible situation, it simply does not make any sense for them to do this, it is essentially a death sentence for the sake of plot tension. You can make soundproof rooms for the purposes of having a baby, but you can't do that to have a proper safe zone where accidental noise won't lead to immediate death... Research and newspaper clippings show that being underground is an exceptionally smart idea, but a normal farmhouse is where you decide to sleep, no fallout shelters in the middle of what looks like "flyover states" and their woodlands? Last resort weapon is a shotgun, but didn't think to find an assault rifle or handgun from the militarized safe zones with a silencer? Or at least look into how to design one? Those are just a few examples and I do not want to flood the whole review with them, but there are just too many to mention, so I can understand the reviews that delve into the red zone (0-3 rating).

+ Good premise
+ Excellent world building
+ Some good scenes of tension, regardless of contrived setup
+ Liked the design of the monsters
+ Emily Blunt & John Krasinski were great for the most part

- Contrived plot and over the top conveniences
- Over reliance on soundtrack
- Over reliance on CGI for monsters
- Unbelievable characters for both the son and daughter
- Poor writing and execution
- The ending sequence/scene was cringe-worthy

Overall, this film had an excellent and promising premise, but failed in execution and writing as there were way too many conveniences and plot holes to make the storyline believable. This movie is a 45 for me, and I think some of these critics should seriously re-evaluate how they score these types of films.
ugurrAug 7, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Positive Sides Negative Sides + fluent - There is an annoying little girl + marvelous actors - There aren't be explained how the creatures came out + an original subject - The end of the story by leaves to the audience + it is very moving second half to film's Expand
BullishApr 22, 2018
A well directed film that demands silence from the audience and will probably get it. In that silence though the audience may be asking many practical questions that will go unanswered. But if you can suspend the disbelief and ignore theA well directed film that demands silence from the audience and will probably get it. In that silence though the audience may be asking many practical questions that will go unanswered. But if you can suspend the disbelief and ignore the occasional inconsistency, you'll probably be enthralled. + Solid performances
+ well directed
+ doesn't pull its punches

- the most irresponsible pregnancy ever
- inconsistent rules
- your questions will go unanswered
JLuis_001Apr 18, 2018
I'd heard true horror stories about the terrible experience that several viewers had while watching this films with rude audiences so I decided to wait a bit longer to watch it and it was worth it. A room with more than 100 seats and only 4I'd heard true horror stories about the terrible experience that several viewers had while watching this films with rude audiences so I decided to wait a bit longer to watch it and it was worth it. A room with more than 100 seats and only 4 other people in there with me and most importantly all them in complete silence.

Speaking about the film I think the noise and hype that is causing is somewhat excessive but I must give credit to John Krasinski for being his first film as a director because he delivers a solid film of horror and suspense that even though makes some argumentative mistakes like bringing a baby to the world when the world is now a **** up place, its narrative method works very well especially to immerse you inside the story and get people to pay full attention. After all if they don't have words they have the images and that is enough for this film.

Quite commendable because thanks to its way of telling its story it reminds the public how a movie should be enjoyed: In complete silence.
irbeguiApr 30, 2018
Very good story, the tension in the film is impressive, the conflicts of the characters is interesting, recommended movie.
eberman123Apr 29, 2018
A fantastic film. Great acting, suspenseful and exciting. One of the best horror films ever.
UndeadxLegend55Apr 22, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Of course not a flawless movie, but a movie absolutely worth watching. I never thought I'd be able to be so invested in characters I knew so little about. You never even get told anyones name, but you develop a liking for everyone. The quietness of the movie makes it much easier for the scares to get you it is also a very suspenseful film. I love all the little details about how they avoid making noise with things like the board game that they knit their own pieces out of yarn to not make noise when they move them on the board or a yarn little spot to throw the dice on and the sand that they walk on barefoot to avoid making a lot of noise it's wonderful. There's some plot holes like why the hell you'd have a baby in this situation, but whatever. They had a plan for it that ends up working. This movie is also able to pull at your heart strings with the fathers death, the whole movie the death daughter feels distanced and feels like her parents blame her for her youngest brothers death(even though it was her fault kinda) there is even a scene where the boy tells his father he should tell her he loves her more, but as one of the monsters is near he attempts to protect them with an axe, but is swiped away by the monster, the boy screams for his father which sets off the monster in his direction, they hide in a truck as the monster is trying to get inside the father makes his way up to his feet and drops the axe on the ground. The monster looks in his direction uncertain of what to do, his death daughter looks at him through the windshield as he signs to her "I love you. I always loved you." afterwards he lets out a scream that causes the monster to go for him this time killing him. That scene, brought me so close to tears about the death of a character that I knew so little about because I had seen how much his children meant to him, I was seeing the lengths he was willing to go to for their safety and the emotion as he signed to her was just so real. I absolutely loved this movie, but it has its flaws. 8/10. Expand
FatalBrushApr 27, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I liked the movie even though it didn't take the direction the trailer suggested. The first half focuses on setting the environment and characters, which I thought was interesting but not something I'd have watched throughout the complete film. The second half brings in drama and tension which makes the best part of the movie eventually. Overall an interesting concept, cinematic setup and great acting. I'd recommend this movie. Expand
ahmedaiman9999Jul 1, 2018
Without exaggeration, the setup for the story here is the best in any movie in this decade so far. Just from the opening scene I felt the tension, I became invested in this world that Krasinski's terrific direction has built, I becameWithout exaggeration, the setup for the story here is the best in any movie in this decade so far. Just from the opening scene I felt the tension, I became invested in this world that Krasinski's terrific direction has built, I became invested in the characters, and I already started to root for them. I can't believe how cleverly the rules that were established, and how smartly every detail and idea has been utilized to make this world as scary as it realistic!

All the performances are superb! Noah Jupe again proves that he has a very bright future, and Millicent Simmonds's performance is equally brilliant. John Krasinski's performance is as compelling as his direction. As for Emily Blunt, I think she gave her best performance in her career. Yes, I believe that her performance in A Quiet Place is superior to her performances in Sicario and Edge of Tomorrow. But to be honest, the situations her character are put in, and the conditions that surrounded her are what made Emily Blunt gave this Oscar-worthy performance. Of course, this due to the movie's intelligent script.

Speaking of the screenplay, I think it's the main reason this movie is so special. Krasinski's direction of course helped to create the creepy and special atmosphere therefore helped to set up the movie's story. But it's the original script that established all that, and fleshed out the characters even with almost no dialogue.

Despite the film's low budget, the special effects are spectacular. This is the second time I see great special effects in a low-budget film. the first time was in a good indie film called I Kill Giants. Check it out if you haven't seen it, it worth it.

The characters aren't just well-written or compelling, but I found myself totally invested in them. I got all the emotions the characters felt. In fact, I felt that I was experiencing what they were feeling in many different situations. I held my breath when the character were in danger, no pun intended. I literally stopped breathing! Also, I cried twice in this movie! So I think that's enough to tell how emotionally connected with the characters I was, and this is a "Horror Film"!

As for issues, there were 3 or 4 decisions that aren't so subtle, as usual in horror movies. The jump scares were fine and somewhat effective, except maybe one or two.

A Quiet Place is my favorite movie of this year, so far! And I asked myself two questions after watching it, the first question is:
Have we, as cinephiles, ever needed talkies?
The second one is:
When will I raise my voice again while talking? Because every one I talked to after watching A Quiet Place struggled to hear a single word from me!

(9/10)
seanreneauMay 23, 2018
A Quiet Place is well shot and creative. John Krasimski is great as the father and directed it fantasticly.