Aviron Pictures | Release Date: April 12, 2019
5.1
Mixed or average reviews based on 61 Ratings
Watch Now
CinephileeApr 13, 2019
This movie is your typical good girl meets bad boy romance, so as for plot twists, can't say there were many. The acting was average at best, but it wasn't like the characters were exactly the most complex to portray, so I suppose the actorsThis movie is your typical good girl meets bad boy romance, so as for plot twists, can't say there were many. The acting was average at best, but it wasn't like the characters were exactly the most complex to portray, so I suppose the actors did their job. In addition, the characters either fit complete stereotypes or simply did not have any personalities at all. Side note: I refuse to applaud Anna Todd for making the movie "diverse". She made Tristan a girl, which would have been interesting had Pia Mia been on the screen for more than 4 minutes. Anyone else getting the same queerbaiting vibes as Riverdale? And representing the African American community with Landon wouldn't have been a problem had he had more duties than being the typical 'black best friend's stereotype.The biggest thieves of the screens were the two main characters, Tessa and Hardin. The movie focused much more on the romance between them rather than them as individual people with separate stories and personalities. For a movie that bragged about encouraging empowerment, they sure made Tessa seem dependent on Hardin and hinted at her being irrelevant without Hardin. I mean, a lot of romance movies are guilty of this, but still, it makes for some pretty unrelatable and boring characters, especially the female lead. Another side note: Josephine Langford is an okay actress, however the producers should have told her that her Australian accent came through way too much and asked her to do the scene again. The editing was a bit odd, including a lot of shots of characters just staring at each other and extreme close ups of body parts and objects. Jenny Gage was way too dependent on montages to save this film. In terms of plot, some of the character motives were lost in the fast-paced nature of the film. Believe me, it was incredibly too fast. This is something that happens a lot in book to film adaptations, since it is very difficult to cram what would be a 10 hour reading session in a 2 hour movie, but still, they could have tried a bit harder. Instead of trying to stuff a film with new scenes that have zero relevance, this movie should have at least tried to include scenes from the book that may have been a waste of time as well but at least they weren't brought out of thin air. This movie was, well, forgettable. Beyond average and disappointing. Overall, it just blends in with the rest of the teen romance genre, if anything being a flop to others in that category Expand
GreatMartinApr 12, 2019
I am the first to admit that I am a sucker for a love story and the last couple of years I have gotten hung up on young adult love stories, where one is usually struck with a life-threatening disease such as "5 Feet Apart" and "The Fault inI am the first to admit that I am a sucker for a love story and the last couple of years I have gotten hung up on young adult love stories, where one is usually struck with a life-threatening disease such as "5 Feet Apart" and "The Fault in the Stars" so I suggested we go see "After" not knowing anything about it except it was based on a YA book.

There is no medical crisis in the movie but there is Tesa, a very good girl who is smart, has a boyfriend who she has known since she was 5, is pretty, follows the rules and is majoring in economics to make a living, though her real love is literature with a leaning towards Jane Austen. Walking into her dorm room this sheltered girl finds her tattooed, noserings, pierced, multi-colored hair roommate, not that there is anything wrong with that, is more than willing to educate the newbie. Tesa is played by Josephine Langford who does a fine job with what she is given to play.

Now you know a good girl like this with a roommate like Steph, played by KhadijhaRed Thunder, will meet the 'bad' boy and he shows up in the hunky body of Hardin, played by Hero Fiennes Tiffin, a nephew of actors Joseph and Ralph Fiennes. He has the looks of the former only more smoldering but not quite the acting talent of the former, though this movie really doesn't give him a chance to show any talent. Trying to make him a combination of Darcy and Heathcliff, and he quotes them both, the director and screenwriters let his character down.

With actors like Peter Gallagher as Hardin's son, Selma Blair as Tesa's mother, Meadow Williams Tesa and Landin's English professor and Jennifer Beals plus the young actors including Shane Paul McGhie, Inanna Sarkis and others the leads get good support but the director Jenny Gage and the script by Susan McMartin let the cast and the audience down.

The movie is agonizingly slow getting the love story started, goes off in a few directions that either lead nowhere or are dropped when they should have been expanded but the biggest letdown is when what motivates Hardin, one regarding Tesa and the other himself, is revealed which should have but doesn't move the audience.

(An aside: Allen and I were the whole audience!)

"After" is not a good movie due to the script and direction.
0987Apr 30, 2019
This happenes when you rely on trailer and got interesed to see this movie. After watching this movie, I felt completely dissapointed that I couldn't explain. This movie is completely awful, nothing exciting happens. Totally wasted 90 minutes.
Compi24Apr 24, 2019
Truly an anomaly in the purest sense, "After" is that rare "how did this ever get made?" type of movie that somehow manages to confound every sensibility in your head, whilst also making you feel like you as a filmmaker/screenwriter/etc. canTruly an anomaly in the purest sense, "After" is that rare "how did this ever get made?" type of movie that somehow manages to confound every sensibility in your head, whilst also making you feel like you as a filmmaker/screenwriter/etc. can truly make it in the business someday. Based in large part on -- I sh*t you the Hell not -- a One Direction fan fiction from author Anna Todd, this film not only represents an utterly woeful piece of original storytelling, but a decidedly problematic one. "Date sh*tty guys," the movie says. "It'll hurt, but it's the kind of hurt that you -- a useless, nothing of a little girl -- need," it says. Man, oh, man is there so much to hate about this brain-meltingly backwards film that somehow happens to be directed, produced, and written by predominately female filmmakers. To think that you could adapt a pathetic fan-fiction based on a sh*tty pop culture item that no one cares about anymore would be so laughable if it wasn't already so depressingly familiar. And it doesn't even work as a fan-fiction, considering how the litigious removal of the actual band members' names renders this concept into something that no self-respecting human being would ever care to find out about prior to watching. Without the fan-service fantasy in play, you end up with the vivisected trunk of a fan-fiction. Cardboard cutout characters. Tropes galore. A crippling misunderstanding of how to construct a cinematic plot. And a clubfoot of a thematic cancer at the end of this horribly-intentioned, ugly leg of a movie. Expand
mohamad91hkJul 17, 2019
The movie is based on Anna Todd novel, and as I read, she is writing the sequel "After We Collided" which is planned for release in 2020, my message for Anna and the producers "Please don't do it", "After" is one of the worst romantic filmsThe movie is based on Anna Todd novel, and as I read, she is writing the sequel "After We Collided" which is planned for release in 2020, my message for Anna and the producers "Please don't do it", "After" is one of the worst romantic films I've ever seen, the movie's plot is so silly, most romantic movies focus on the emotional side to win audience's hearts, but in "After" there's nothing, even the ridiculous twist, it wasn't emotional at all.

Movie stars are Josephine & Hero, new young faces in Hollywood, I really liked Josephine performance, she was perfect, I hope to watch her in a movie better than this one, she has great potential.

Lastly, Don't waste your time, even if you like romantic movies, you can watch "Five Feet Apart", it's totally better.
Mistermovies91Apr 18, 2019
This movie is bad, I mean really bad. If you think that "The Kissing Booth" is pure trash, you still haven't see anything. At least that movie try (with really poor results) to be light and fun, but this is really flat, pretentious,This movie is bad, I mean really bad. If you think that "The Kissing Booth" is pure trash, you still haven't see anything. At least that movie try (with really poor results) to be light and fun, but this is really flat, pretentious, inconclusive and terribly stupid, but "Fifty Shades of Grey" kind of stupidity (and that's saying something). How did they spend 17 million on this stuff? How? The only set scenes are literally just a class, two room and a lake. Plus, the one on this film it's the most ridiculous and surreal forced drama I've ever seen, "Twilight" by comparison is a cinematic masterpiece, and what the hell was that ending? Horrible. Just horrible. Expand
NormalCriticApr 14, 2019
Terrible, al igual que el libro en el que se basa. Debe ser de lo peor que he visto en lo que va del 2019. La dirección y la actuación no tienen nada destacable, lo horrible es sin duda todo el guión y sus personajes incluyendo ese romanceTerrible, al igual que el libro en el que se basa. Debe ser de lo peor que he visto en lo que va del 2019. La dirección y la actuación no tienen nada destacable, lo horrible es sin duda todo el guión y sus personajes incluyendo ese romance pedorro. Fuera de esto aborrezco las películas que normalizan actos tóxicos. No la vean. Expand
pimpollo2May 2, 2019
It's just another romantic movie, with the sexy bad boy and the silly girl, it seems that they were not based on the books of this saga, it lacked toxicity.
ScathashJun 26, 2019
Considering it's a movie based a book series, the movie just doesn't match the story. There are too many important things missing and there are too many differences between book and movie.
While watching the movie you can't even understand
While watching the movie you can't even understand the essence of Tessa's and Hardin's relationship! Their personalities are there but they're completely muffled and softened!
The author once said After wasn't supposed to be a romance novel but a real life love story. In the movie that doesn't happen at all.
Ashlyn_Review48Jun 26, 2019
This movie is awful. The plot is meaningless, boring, cliche, and watered down. It is nothing special and is like any other romance series. The two characters have an unhealthy relationship and it is honestly disgusting that the movieThis movie is awful. The plot is meaningless, boring, cliche, and watered down. It is nothing special and is like any other romance series. The two characters have an unhealthy relationship and it is honestly disgusting that the movie fantasizes a relationship like that. The whole series promotes unhealthy habits. The characters seem to try too hard when they act. It's a bit dramatic that they fall in love so deeply with each other in just a few days. If you hear any good reviews of this movie it is probably just a crazy fan girl who thinks Hardin Scott is the hottest man on the planet. I mean if you are making a romance novel at least get a hot guy to play the lead. The books themselves are way too long for such a boring and cliche plot. Expand
dshorter21Jul 17, 2019
I had high expectations for this movie because I really thought the books were so good. The movie was basically half a page in the actual book and did not at all accurately depict the relationship between Hardin and Tessa. Honestly, the movieI had high expectations for this movie because I really thought the books were so good. The movie was basically half a page in the actual book and did not at all accurately depict the relationship between Hardin and Tessa. Honestly, the movie should have been rated r if it were an actual depiction of the book because there is no way the book is pg-13. I am very disappointed in this movie and how corny it was. There were way too many differences between the book and the movie and it is just sad. Expand