Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: May 19, 2017
5.8
Mixed or average reviews based on 1216 Ratings
Watch Now
masterhoodwinkeJun 8, 2017
Profound disappointment... does not live up to the Alien franchise. Terrible casting and script, Kenny Powers as a pilot??? To sum this movie up in two words: hot garbage.
PhilK1970May 20, 2017
Just awful. I really do not understand the overall favorable reviews from critics. In "Alien" and "Aliens" you could sink your teeth (ahem) into some very well-drawn and well-acted characters, and invest in them, well before theJust awful. I really do not understand the overall favorable reviews from critics. In "Alien" and "Aliens" you could sink your teeth (ahem) into some very well-drawn and well-acted characters, and invest in them, well before the acid-for-blood hits the fan. And when it did, it was compelling, dreadful, terrifying and chaotic. Here, nothing. Empty shells staged for some poorly paced bloodletting. Worse yet, this movie is less about the Alien and more about "The Fassbender Show" with seemingly endless heavy-handed dialog on android aspirations... We've been here before, and much more succinctly. The rules of Alien biology clearly established in the first two films are wildly violated here (it is supposed to take days for full alien incubation - but we don't have time for that in this script, so let's just take 5 minutes this go-round), yet one would think Ridley would be loyal to his own invention. Worse yet, in one unbelievable jump-the-shark moment, Ridley doesn't seem to even be aware that he's channeling "Spaceballs" - at which point I totally checked out. Oh God, and then there's the moment Fassbender's android PLAYS THE THEME FROM PROMETHEUS on a recorder/flute thingie. Are you serious. And FYI to FX teams, a mix of CGI and a well-crafted on-set in-camera creature would still be superior to the nearly 100% CGI creature FX here. And lastly, zero continuity is set forth between this and the events approximately 15 years later in the original Alien. OK, ok, the space FX, spaceships & indoor/outdoor settings are all beautifully done, I'll give them that, but on no level do they redeem the pic. Ridley otherwise has an astounding body of work and he could rest on those laurels... Wish he would. Expand
Rebecca31May 19, 2017
Can somebody please tell Ridley Scott to stop making any more Alien movies, congratulations you got it spectacularly right once and now it’s gone. Get over it. Move on and stop with these unnecessary prequels. Alien Covenant has beenCan somebody please tell Ridley Scott to stop making any more Alien movies, congratulations you got it spectacularly right once and now it’s gone. Get over it. Move on and stop with these unnecessary prequels. Alien Covenant has been described as the third best Alien movie, believe me that is not a compliment. If you thought Prometheus was enough to ruin the franchise well then, Alien Covenant only makes it worse. Much worse. And by its creator of all people. How ironic. Alien marked a turning point for horror movies and raised the standard so it’s disheartening to see Alien Covenant fall so far below the standard we expect.
Set ten years after Prometheus we get even more backstory to the Alien, complete with yet another expendable crew, another robot and yes, another lazy story. It’s nothing you haven’t seen already. Taking all the bad from the previous Alien movies along with all the bad from other horror movies you’ve seen before, mixes them together throws in a couple of gory scenes for dramatic effect and you’re left with a movie that falls into the exact same trap as Prometheus. No character development so when it’s time to start killing off the crew one by one nobody really cares. I’m officially done with the Alien franchise, I refuse to contribute any more to what can only be described as a cash grab. What a bitterly disappointing end to an iconic movie. Under no circumstance would I recommend Alien Covenant to anyone, so you’ve been warned.
QuazatronMay 21, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I first saw Prometheus, I immediately liked the idea behind it.
Classic mankind questions were brought into the movie and created a whole new horizon in the Aliens franchise world. Questions like "WHO ARE WE?", "WHERE DO WE COME FROM?" or "WHY DID OUR ENGINEERS TRIED TO KILL US?" made Prometheus a great movie in a variant way and made us anxiously wait for a sequel. A sequel that supposedly would answer all these questions; a sequel that promised to explain us all the origins and humanity and the aliens...

I WAS SO WRONG! Alien Covenant turned to be a fake promise and did not answer any questions raised in its predecessor Prometheus.

Even being a great fan of the Aliens (apart from Alien 4 and Alien vs Predator movies), I can't agree with the mess Mr. Ridley Scott did with Alien Covenant.
Let's go to the facts:

(CHARACTERS)
Characters in Prometheus were not the best. They lacked a bit of personality, attitude and empathy with the audience, even if acting was GOOD, especially Michael Fassbender. In Alien Covenant, as far as anyone can see, characters are even worse! They simply exist to die, nothing more. No intelligence, no meaning, no use, nothing! Acting was equally BAD, apart from Michael Fassbender again!

(REALISM)
In Prometheus we have seen one main stupid scene that in real life would NEVER happen: a fascinated scientist that got in direct touch with alien life with no apparent reason or care. In Alien Covenant, Mr. Ridley Scott kept thinking we all LIKED that a lot and populated the entire movie with unrealistic scenes! NO, Mr. Scott! We didn't like or approve your decisions on adding nonsense to the movie!

1) As much as an alien planet would look like Earth, no one would ever land on it and explore it without a suit and EXTREME care and attention! THAT WOULDN'T HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE!

2) No intelligent person would ever stayed inside the same room of an ill person that seemed to be infected. Much less would a normal person touch the other one with evident signs of "mutation" and bleeding. NO, Mr. SCOTT! THIS ISN'T VERY REAL!

3) What kind of crew was in the ship, after all? They were supposed to be the BEST among the BEST. They carry 2000 human embryos to be taken to a planet that was long surveyed and studied. THEY should be a RESPONSIBLE crew. They are NOT! From an instant to another, the captain simply decides to investigate another Earth-like planet that seems to be sending "strange" signal messages, discarding the long studied planet just because the crew of the ship doesn't want to spend 7 years in their sleep capsules that recently had a failure. THIS ISN'T ALSO REAL, MR. SCOTT! A Captain should be a WELL TRAINED person, prepared to make the best choices in the most aggressive and stressing moments.

4) Who in its normal state would make love in a shower knowing that a new life form was roaming free inside the ship? What the heck is that, Mr. Scott? There's an alien in the ship and you tell your movie characters to make love in a shower like if the life form was just a simple fly? THIS IS NOT REALISM!!!

I could simply go on and tell you Alien fans more and more inconsistencies, but I'd just make myself BORING! All that matters about Alien Covenant is that it has no realism; everything seems so stupid to the point we wanna give up seeing the movie!!

(SPECIAL FX)
Special effects on Alien Covenant are fairly decent, but not so great as in Prometheus. Some sequences, however, are a bit confusing to the eye and does not help fans to like them a lot.

(STORY)
Alien Covenant has no story. Period. What? Yes! I'm serious! NO story at all. It's a bad mix of Prometheus with Alien and Aliens. The result is a miscellaneous SOUP of grotesque TASTE, awful SMELL and POISONOUS consequences! Ridley Scott could have the opportunity to make Prometheus even bigger than what it was, even more marvelous than what it became. But no. He did something much worse than giving no story to Alien Covenant. He KILLED the original Alien story and the entire franchise!

(LACK OF OPPORTUNITY) Ridley Scott had the opportunity of his life. Do his best to make a GRAND Alien movie for the generations to come. Being the father of Alien, he could have done so much for Alien Covenant. He could have made it a reference (for the difference) in the Alien franchise. He didn't. He shot his own son and spitted on his fans!!

In summary, Alien Covenant is the WORST of the Aliens. It didn't ruin itself alone; it ruined all Aliens (the good ones and the bad ones).
Even with a great photography, Alien Covenant is a movie without a soul, empty in all senses, doesn't answer any questions made in Prometheus and dares to destroy the whole Alien concept. It's sad, my dear reader. Sad but true. I'm disappointed. And I'm gonna forget that Alien Covenant ever exists. To me, Prometheus deserved a SERIOUS and REALISTIC sequel, but only got a twisted shadow of what an Alien movie should be!

3/10!
yogibbearMay 19, 2017
Thank you Ridley Scott for making the worst Alien movie yet. You have singlehandedly ruined the entire franchise in 1 movie. Well done sir. I thought anyone would have forced you to read the negative reviews of Prometheus and not retreadedThank you Ridley Scott for making the worst Alien movie yet. You have singlehandedly ruined the entire franchise in 1 movie. Well done sir. I thought anyone would have forced you to read the negative reviews of Prometheus and not retreaded the same mistakes that movie made. But nah, you compounded those problems and made it much much worse. Do yourself a favour and don't see this movie. Has amazing cinematography, brilliant audio, awesome visuals, great art direction for both the spacey-sci fi scenes and the on-planet stuff. But none of that removes the fact this movie has a bunch of stupid scientists making continually stupid decisions and then stomps all over the alien lore. Arguably also has the weakest writing of all of them. Even worse than Resurrection. Expand
paveldMay 20, 2017
Somewhere in the middle of the movie, one of the hard to tell apart characters says "I don't get it". And he/she is totally right - neither do I. The spore plot that was dropped years back for Alien 3 is back. Along with a script that seemsSomewhere in the middle of the movie, one of the hard to tell apart characters says "I don't get it". And he/she is totally right - neither do I. The spore plot that was dropped years back for Alien 3 is back. Along with a script that seems to have lost its structure, with lots of unnecessary gore, an attempt to explain the Alien's origin (don't we all love to know what gives the Jedi their powers?) and characters that do their best to act against all thinkable logic. Hey - we've just stumbled upon a planet that's closer than the one we spent 10 years analyzing for colonization. Let's land right away without finding out what it might hold. And sure, let's take almost the entire crew along - just to destroy the entire mission (which includes 2000 people) in case we lose the ground crew. And let's leave people unable to think straight aboard the mother ship. That's the only way to be sure. And have one of them oppose the idiot (who's of course in charge) constantly, only to corroborate his clearly suicidal command only minutes later. And the not-really-ripley character joins this idiocy at the very end of the movie. It's like the presence of the Engineer planet (I didn't notice the planet was this one, oops) caused all humans drop half of their brains for a reason. And I thought Alien 3 was the worst part of the franchise... Expand
ScienceAdvisorMay 21, 2017
Yet another trope filled mess that tries to cash in on past glories. Scott pulled a Lucas, where he does not even attempt to develop any kind of character for the people about to be killed off, which leaves the audience asking "who cares".Yet another trope filled mess that tries to cash in on past glories. Scott pulled a Lucas, where he does not even attempt to develop any kind of character for the people about to be killed off, which leaves the audience asking "who cares". With pre-knowledge of past glories (Alien movies), you cannot help but be severely disappointed. Those claiming this is art must have missed all the previous movies. Even Alien 4 is better in many respects, as it was at least trying to create something new, and bothered to make us at least like a few of the characters. I hope the Bokenkamp sequel to Alien 2 is put back into production, and Ridley is finally barred from interfering with the series, as Disney did had to do with Lucas. Expand
DetharMay 21, 2017
I just wanted this move to end. Nothing (except the CGI) is right. Plot is simply boring.

All the soldiers and scientists are mentally challenged. Their decisions are irrational (no hazmat suits on foreign planet, great idea). Alien's life

Alien's life cycle is ruined. Now they only need their acid on someones cheek and voila! Fully grown xenomorph is ready after 5 minutes. Wow. Just wow.

Gay couple on COLONIZATION MISSION was also quite funny.

Stay away if You liked good ol' Aliens.
shpostalMay 21, 2017
Some Hollywood types simply cannot resist milking a successful movie until it's totally sucked dry, void of any shred of originality, and nothing but rehash for those who love the franchise sequel/prequel format. I'll be blunt - my wifeSome Hollywood types simply cannot resist milking a successful movie until it's totally sucked dry, void of any shred of originality, and nothing but rehash for those who love the franchise sequel/prequel format. I'll be blunt - my wife wanted to see "Alien: Covenant". Being the dutiful husband and nice guy, I took her, and got exactly what I expected. She usually likes the Alien series, but this one was a bomb for her, too. Not even the usually fine Michael Fassbender could save this wreck. The cinematography was good, and it ought to be, considering how many millions of dollars the "Alien" series has netted. But overall, this was a cliched uninspired mess. A movie this predictable shouldn't even have spoiler alerts. I'll give a bit of one anyway, in that it rips off the original 1979 classic every which way: pods that dumbasses look into and get plastered by the acidic alien on the puss and in maybe the slightest twist, a few that get infected by spores and then blow up. That was a rip off from "Alien 3", so there goes the originality. And of course, the artificial intelligence being, played in a dual role by Fassbender, has issues and once again, you can't trust an android. It is only because of Fassbender that "Covenant" has any merit at all. The other actors, including the religious Billy Crudup are uninspiring and just do not connect. In fact, the movie doesn't connect at all except for hardcore fans and those who just like to jump at the loud moments and watch different ways the aliens mutilate the hapless cast. And the ending just guarantees another sequel, which is the most terrifying moment in this whole pointless movie. I'll stick with the much much greater sequel to "Guardians of the Galaxy" - as loony as those two movies are, at least we can savor each character and see some of the coolest effects ever in the sci fi genre. As far as I'm concerned, nobody will ever touch the brilliance, truly terrifying twists and turns and overall thrills of the original "Alien", and I wish to hell Ridley Scott and Hollywood would put this series out the cargo bay into the silence of space for good. Expand
19 of 42 users found this helpful1923
TrollYourEnemeyMay 21, 2017
Lore completely ruined. Xenomorphs no longer bad ass. CGI was terrible, characters are again stupid as they were in Prometheus. Was not scary at all. Full of horror tropes. Convoluted. Riddey Scott has a boner for Fassbender.
19 of 42 users found this helpful1923
romanontherunMay 21, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So, so disappointed.
1) Characters are bland and expendable. They actually introduce them on youtube! Are we expected to watch it before the movie to care? or we don't expect to care?;
2) The couples thing could work only if we care and know who is married to whom. Oh, you don't grasp it? well you should have watch youtube prologue;
3) James Franko character is on f***ing youtube video, but not in the actual movie;
4) We expected to believe that space colonization mission which is tailored and trained to the specific planet could just change course like this, on the spot? Don't they answer for money, colonist, embryos?;
5) They not the scientist from Prometheus, but you are really don't need a helmet then landing on the unknown planet for the first time? I mean - poisonous airborne spores are EXACTLY the thing we need to be protected from on unknown planet, right?;
6) Don't' they scan the planet before landing? And saw abandoned cities? Get the sense that something wrong here?;
7) Oh, you like the Prometheus despite all the stupid things characters did? Do you want to know what happened with Elizabeth Shaw on Engineers homeworld? Or why engineers were going to the Earth? Well, too bad (*sound of you getting slapped in the face*). But here some cool youtube prologue;
8) Androids can now grow hairs. Cool. Was he doing it while spending years on Prometheus? How many hours was spent to implement this feature to androids? Was it documented?;
9) Why making alien eggs (eggs are clearly planted by the Queen in Aliens. How can you make exactly the same egg without the Queen?) but why would you? Black Goo in Airborne Form For Some Reason (TM) is faster, more efficient and more discreet than facehugger and get things done.
10) Oh, you have one crazy android and one good and loyal? Well, you should not ever question who exactly get back to your ship. Because that seriously could go wrong, right? You sorta sure it's the good one, so it's good enough. (That twist was so obvious the moment they cut the fight by the way)
11) Alien lore? Timeline? Logic? Alien biology? Who cares.
xanax48May 19, 2017
This movie sucks... I know that's simple and isn't very creative but if this movie doesn't need to try then why do I? It's the same as "Life", everything is predictable and follows an M. Night Shyamalan format, Oh no! Plot twist. The worstThis movie sucks... I know that's simple and isn't very creative but if this movie doesn't need to try then why do I? It's the same as "Life", everything is predictable and follows an M. Night Shyamalan format, Oh no! Plot twist. The worst thong about it is they have the nerve to explain to explain everything...Aliens has officially reached midichlorian levels of bad. Kiss your Alien vs. Predator fantasies goodbye because the once **** crazy demons of space just got downplayed to play second fiddle to Terminator #nospoilers. Expand
20 of 47 users found this helpful2027
hongkong_teaMay 21, 2017
Boring, uninspired, and non coherent. I am not watching a Scott film again before reading reviews and making sure it's good. Even Prometheus was better, and it's terribble.
Vl_czMay 19, 2017
The film is very bad. Instead of a good action movie, we received a tolerant pseudo-philosophical rubbish with biblical insets.
The team's behavior is the most stupid in the history of cinema. Jokes aside! Half of the people killed themselves, even aliens are not needed. But this is the best role of James Franco ... all 30 seconds of screen time!
AngryfunnydogMay 20, 2017
The worst movie of Ridley Scott, that even makes Prometheus much better, in comparison. Stupid characters, who created just for duying, broken storyline from prometheus, that made the character of Dr Shaw look really dumb, Michael FassbenderThe worst movie of Ridley Scott, that even makes Prometheus much better, in comparison. Stupid characters, who created just for duying, broken storyline from prometheus, that made the character of Dr Shaw look really dumb, Michael Fassbender is really good here, but the whole movie concentrates about him. Stupid storyline, where, again, stupid colinists go th an unexplored planet without any precautios, like space suits? Hazmat suits? Or maybe a breathe mask? You know, in case of some infections (spoiler - there are some very nasty infections). No? Ok, good for you, you did the right thing to die in this movie, dear colonists. All the deaths are made dramatically, like we must feel something about it, but we don't as there is absolutely no character disposition. To understand who is husband or wife of whom, you need to watch youtube videos about it, some "extra" features, but I want to see this in the movie, because movies are to tell stories, correct? Without any wheelchairs, like such videos.
And the most dissapointing is actually alien, who is not "perfect organism" anymore, because it sucks, for the whole movie it killed only guys who were laying on the ground, and the ones who were naked in the shower. In any other situations alien get his ass kicked by everybody. The lore is broken, as there is no more mystery around the alien, the scene of the birth of the alien is stupid, alien here looks as not something scary, but as something wrong and idiotic.

Guys, really, I can't believe that anyone give it 10 out of 10. I understand that there are different opinions, but obvious stupidity and the plot wholes must be obvious to everyone. The filming itself is nice, really, beutiful and nice. I give 1 point for this.

P.S. The best role of James Franco
martinglakeMay 19, 2017
Amature hour. A film with a lot of money. No script and no direction. Was this written on a napkin by someone that read the back of a alien dvd box? What's more it cuts the masterpiece Prometheus adrift and makes both films entirelyAmature hour. A film with a lot of money. No script and no direction. Was this written on a napkin by someone that read the back of a alien dvd box? What's more it cuts the masterpiece Prometheus adrift and makes both films entirely pointless. Neither sequels prequels to each other or the rest of the alien films. This is more fitting in th alien v predator franchise where 'anything can happen at any time'. This film needs rebooting with whatever the original script was. The studio script needs to be incinerated. You can see with Scots body language he is not happy with this garbage. If you like national geographic you might like the first half hour for the nature shots.
This film is quite literally a slap in the face to people that have a IQ and attention span of sufficient size to follow the Prometheus story and enjoy a journey into the alien universe rather than just seeing aliens over and over again for no reason and with 5 second gestation periods because the film needs to be under 2 hours. If this was AVP, guardians of the galaxy or a comic book movie I'd give it a 5....but this is serious scifi where detail matters for immersion. I'd say blame the script - but Scot should never have accepted it in this state.
20 of 54 users found this helpful2034
jojimboOct 13, 2017
Absolute, utter pile of garbage. Scott proves beyond doubt his original success with Alien was a total fluke. promethius wasn't too bad, and I was kinda looking forward to be reunited with Elizabeth Shaw and see what her and David wereAbsolute, utter pile of garbage. Scott proves beyond doubt his original success with Alien was a total fluke. promethius wasn't too bad, and I was kinda looking forward to be reunited with Elizabeth Shaw and see what her and David were getting up to in the home world of the big white people.

Nope, the story was terrible, not even Fassbender could save the plot and even colluded in the worst ending for a movie ever written. Scott has ruined the franchise if we let his "versions" become canon, which they are NOT.

We would be far better off none of this total bullcrap existed and the Aliens were just a random species on a random planet waiting in the dark for some poor wayfarer to discover. Trying to make something of the alien/creator/ out of anything is just so bad and cringeworthy. Bad writing at its worst.

Ridly, please don't make any more Alien films. This is Alien 3, all over again.
bloodybigguns18Aug 12, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the film was great right up to the point David killed the engineers. it was all down hill from there with the revelation that David created the Xenomorph. there is a huge gap between the questions that Prometheus was trying to answer and the original alien movie and this film doesn't answer any or at least not in any sensible way and leaves you asking more questions on top of the unanswered ones from before. the 10 year gap between Prometheus and this film was a wasted opportunity to flesh out the story before dropping this David bombshell. its just completely out of place Expand
RidleayRomeroNov 23, 2018
Quite possibly the worst sci-fi movie I've ever seen. The stupidity of these "Scientists" is almost unbelievable. Not only do characters make dumb decisions like in Prometheus, but they somehow manage to do even worse. I'll be honest withQuite possibly the worst sci-fi movie I've ever seen. The stupidity of these "Scientists" is almost unbelievable. Not only do characters make dumb decisions like in Prometheus, but they somehow manage to do even worse. I'll be honest with everyone; I was expecting this movie to be an apology for the previous film, my expectations went down the drain when James Franco got killed off in the first 10 minutes. When I left the theater with my family, everyone hated it. Alien Covenant is the worst Ridley Scott film, and the final nail in the coffin for the Alien franchise. What shocks me even more is how it has such a high Critic score on the site which makes me believe another version was shown to critics. In conclusion; don't ever see this movie. If it's on TV, change the channel. If someone gives you it as a gift, throw that **** right in the garbage (possibly reimburse your friend or family member). Expand
Easycw44Nov 25, 2017
This will be the last Alien movie I'll watch unless they hand the reigns over to Neill Blomkamp. Really feel like Ridley dropped the ball on a really interesting story line that he initially started, the plot holes/twists are big enough toThis will be the last Alien movie I'll watch unless they hand the reigns over to Neill Blomkamp. Really feel like Ridley dropped the ball on a really interesting story line that he initially started, the plot holes/twists are big enough to drive a train through. Expand
NazguleroNov 22, 2017
Sad. One would think they would have learned from the 'Prometheus' disaster, but no, again, they send a bunch of incapable goons on a billion dollar mission into space. None of these characters would be able to get or hold a job as a storeSad. One would think they would have learned from the 'Prometheus' disaster, but no, again, they send a bunch of incapable goons on a billion dollar mission into space. None of these characters would be able to get or hold a job as a store clerk, but now they are in command of a super expensive spacecraft. And please, if you have a female lead, at least pick one that is even remotely attractive... Expand
AthanasiosTOct 8, 2017
After the unavoidable comparison with the classic alien films, this one is below average. The aliens left behind their stealth movement through the ducts, for super fast face-to-face confrontations. They also appear to have lost theirAfter the unavoidable comparison with the classic alien films, this one is below average. The aliens left behind their stealth movement through the ducts, for super fast face-to-face confrontations. They also appear to have lost their intelligence and cunning, doing stupid things and getting trapped in silly traps. The only shining beacon is Fassbender and his excellent acting. Expand
pdw123Jan 3, 2018
Probably the most awful Alien film I've viewed to date---just looked at it at the begin of 2018 here. I should've learned quite awhile ago that Ridley had totally lost it as a director and producer, esp. with Blade Runner 2049 this pastProbably the most awful Alien film I've viewed to date---just looked at it at the begin of 2018 here. I should've learned quite awhile ago that Ridley had totally lost it as a director and producer, esp. with Blade Runner 2049 this past year, also god awful. Prometheus was really the last good thing from that franchise, so I wouldn't count on anything in the future the way the lamestream/mainstream film industry is going. And, the exact same music/score from Alien is only thing good I'd say, and hacked and copied at that, let alone Fassbender hamming it up and copying every robot from every Alien film ever, not original whatsoever, no matter one or 2 sophisticated quotes. Expand
BioTofuNov 2, 2018
Absolute garbage. the franchise would be better off without this. right away, it made no sense how the colony ship with over 2000 colonists would change its plan on the fly based on 1 single captain's decision. then then they just landed onAbsolute garbage. the franchise would be better off without this. right away, it made no sense how the colony ship with over 2000 colonists would change its plan on the fly based on 1 single captain's decision. then then they just landed on the planet without scouting out the uncharted planet with drones or scans??? and then they just walked out of their space shuttle onto the planet in their Columbia hiking gears?!?! they had space suits in Prometheus when they landed. i got sick of it after 42mins and had to fast forward multiple times to finish the movie. once again proved that professional movie critics do not do their job properly when I saw so many positives critic reviews. Ridley scott just ditched the direction left behind by Prometheus and went full on philosophical (i think its a good idea with the robot that wants to be god)focusing on the psychopath god syndrome android and merged that with aliens shooty shooty bang bang actions thrills. the result was a total waste of time. Expand
RalfbergsMar 4, 2018
Started out interesting and it being about space and new worlds I thought that the sci-fi is not really ever predictable, but this was the most predictable movie ever and it involved so many stupid stuff - it felt like script is straightStarted out interesting and it being about space and new worlds I thought that the sci-fi is not really ever predictable, but this was the most predictable movie ever and it involved so many stupid stuff - it felt like script is straight outta those cheesy action movies from 80s where a guy goes to pee and ends up dead of course - each shot where someone was left alone, he or she ended up dead. Also one guy (I don't care for their names, don't remember anymore) sees that an alien has killed a woman from his team, kills the alien and sees that the android is working with aliens, still kinda trusts him and goes with him to the cave where he is breeding aliens - and ends up dead of course. Just stupid movie. I am not even sure if this deserves 3 Expand
lizardking420Nov 8, 2017
Alien covenant was absolute trash. The only thing that was decent were the spaceship effects. Acting was poor. No likable scene to speak of. The focus on the gay robot was way wack. The fight scene with the alien was pathetic. The new aliensAlien covenant was absolute trash. The only thing that was decent were the spaceship effects. Acting was poor. No likable scene to speak of. The focus on the gay robot was way wack. The fight scene with the alien was pathetic. The new aliens are not consistent with classic xenomorphs. Prometheus was okay it didn't really remind me of alien but no way did i think it would lead to such garbage. Expand
shag00Dec 23, 2018
Another horror prequel. I still can't get my head my head around how any captain of a passenger ship would override the computer to place all the ship in mortal danger. I find it even harder to believe that the 2nd officer, who had up tillAnother horror prequel. I still can't get my head my head around how any captain of a passenger ship would override the computer to place all the ship in mortal danger. I find it even harder to believe that the 2nd officer, who had up till this point been arguing with the captain to not endanger the ship, just flashes a look at her cuddle and rolls over and gives her authority. That's in the first 15 minutes and it goes down from there. I mean is there no limit to the stupid things that these writers dream up. Any sort of gripping story does not portray the leads as blithering idiots. Avoid this film. Expand
FadingHopeDec 24, 2017
This complete pile of horse wank spits on the Alien franchise, it's riddled with the most retarded characters, plotlines and contrivances, the only way to enjoy this **** is to watch it for LOLs. I feel that giving it 0/10 is still a bit too much.
GroifJan 3, 2018
STUPID MOVIE about unprofessional team of irresponsible idiots. And the talentless engineers of the future, how can they still walk that did not forget?
zerosubstanceAug 6, 2018
Scott trusted Lindelof, and we got "Prometheus." With its perpendicular threads of conspicuous and grandiose pondering and shallow characters behaving idiotically, it took the simple and effective themes of capitalist cynicism and body horrorScott trusted Lindelof, and we got "Prometheus." With its perpendicular threads of conspicuous and grandiose pondering and shallow characters behaving idiotically, it took the simple and effective themes of capitalist cynicism and body horror that had made "Alien" and its immediate sequel so memorable, and shoehorned in "Tree of Life"-style reflections on existence and creation. How anybody could miss the jarring thematic discord mystifies me: first between the themes of the original films and these prequels; and second, between the "big questions" eluded to in the films and the bumbling incompetence of both the characters in individual scenes and in the story as a whole. The mysteries of the original films are answered in the dumbest way, and new, more pretentious questions are posed.

Lindelof left Scott with all these loose ends to tie up, and Scott wanted to do something with space-Jesus or whatever, and nobody wanted that. So we got this dumb piece of ****

The movie gets one point for looking nice.
BerikNov 5, 2018
Wow, i'm genuinly blown away by some of the drunk reviews i've read on this movie. So let me get this straight: This movie has absolutely nothing to offer anyone who loves the original movies.

Story: Has barely anything to do with Aliens at

Story: Has barely anything to do with Aliens at this point. It ruins everything that made Prometheus interesting, and on top of that it ruins all the elements that were awesome in the original movies. Dave is interesting, for 5 minutes. Everyone else is clearly as smart as a fly. No forget that, at least a fly knows when to dodge danger.

Aliens: Boring, horror tropes which are poorly executed, no suspense to them and are as expendable as the crew itself.

Potential: You kidding me right?

Someone please rob Ridley Scott of the Alien franchise and let it go. This movie is pure garbage, and will not satisfy you in any way. But we have to be fair, worse movies have been made and CANCELLED! This is just cringeworthy. It earns a fat 2/10.
Wolf3000Jul 2, 2017
Except for the scenes featuring David & Walter, the film is a convoluted mess. The script is astonishingly stupid, with an obvious half-assed attempt by Scott to link up Prometheus & Alien franchises, attempting to make it work somehow. InExcept for the scenes featuring David & Walter, the film is a convoluted mess. The script is astonishingly stupid, with an obvious half-assed attempt by Scott to link up Prometheus & Alien franchises, attempting to make it work somehow. In addition to the pathetic scenario, the film is essentially just sets of events which are clearly made to set up the story & ideology of David/Walter. The crew is expendable, and killed off in painstakingly too easy manner. The creatures don't make sense in their behaviour. The entire film can essentially be written off.

This is the problem with this film. It doesn't know what the hell it is. Scott obviously wanted to continue with some philosophising as in Prometheus, but gave the audience lots of sci-fi action "Alien" stuff so that profits could be made, sold the film on that point. What we are ultimately left with, is a 2/10 in the action-horror department (the way the action scenes happen make no sense). Prometheus and previous Aliens films did much better in that regard. And in the "philosophising"/scenario department, we have a very weird storyline. I personally think Scott went off the deep end trying to link the Alien & Prometheus franchise in such a cheap way (everybody knows how, its not even a spoiler as its so obvious, starting with the biblical name "David").

The problem is that the Alien & Prometheus franchises were amazing for different reasons, and Scott destroyed what made the two good, by mixing them up in such a way. We have a film that is not as "space-discovery" as Prometheus, and a film that is not as "action-horror" done as well as Alien & Aliens. And to top it off, the scenario itself is nonsensical.

And what is disappointing is that unlike many others, I thought the cast was really great in terms of chemistry. The prologue dvelved on that a little, but nothing was ultimately explored. They were just people to be killed off. And not only that, they didnt even die in ways that were satisfying. They just died, easily, not how human beings should die (slowly and with difficulty, like in Alien films).

Ultimately its an enjoyable film on the surface, but when you really look at it, you see an incredibly weak film on all fronts. I'd place Alien, Aliens, and Alien 3 (assembly cut) higher than this film. Prometheus also.

I feel Scott started with a great base, which is: Great filming location, athmospheric location, colourful crew (different colors, different personalities, even a gay couple), new creatures...But then decided to make what is essentially a B-movie sci-fi flick. It feels extremely cheap throughout. Even the creatures themselves are terribly done CGI mess. To the point when they are hit by bullets, you get that cheap videogame blood effect, that looks astonishingly fake, and kills all suspension of disbelief.

I found myself laughing at the creatures more than fearing them. Because they obviously looked like cheap CGI, rather than the creatures that still scare the **** out of me from the Alien Franchise, and even Prometheus (the deacon at the end, the octopus alien thing, etc...were gruesome).
spliceJul 6, 2017
So bad that it made Prometheus – a film that I thought was terrible, btw – seem to be a decent film. A random, unskilled movie-watcher from 2017 (me) should never be smarter than a **** from the future.
sappyguppyJul 4, 2017
If this would be a rank 5 movie, but for the promise offered in Prometheus. I trust Scott would fight the studios to deliver on the examination of our origins and creators. Instead AC was simply another slasher/horror monster flick,If this would be a rank 5 movie, but for the promise offered in Prometheus. I trust Scott would fight the studios to deliver on the examination of our origins and creators. Instead AC was simply another slasher/horror monster flick, borrowing every cliche known to the genre. Not a moment of the movie stimulate a sense of wonder, nor were any of the suspense scene frightening, just tiresome. Mr Scott has created some of the best movies of my life.....I give this only 1 star (not the 5 another director might get) because of the punch in the gut of disappointment. Expand
Mini_SliderJul 9, 2017
This is by far one of the stupidest science movies I've ever had the displeasure of viewing. None of the characters are believable as real human beings, let alone scientists/astronauts. Every 5 minutes one of the characters makes a decisionThis is by far one of the stupidest science movies I've ever had the displeasure of viewing. None of the characters are believable as real human beings, let alone scientists/astronauts. Every 5 minutes one of the characters makes a decision so stupid that even the most dim witted individuals from 2017 would know better. I felt like I was watching Idiocracy where everybody from the future are somehow idiots. Prometheus may have had it's flaws, but nothing compares to the stupidity waiting around every corner in Alien: Covenant. Special Effects are all this movie has going for it. Expand
kalmarerikalexJul 6, 2017
A legnagyobb baja a filmnek, hogy nem Alien film. Nincs meg benne az ismeretlentől való félelem érzete. A Prometheus is más volt, de ott csak az Alien univerzumában volt, egy teljesen más történetet mesélt, itt konkrétan ilyen nincs. RáadásulA legnagyobb baja a filmnek, hogy nem Alien film. Nincs meg benne az ismeretlentől való félelem érzete. A Prometheus is más volt, de ott csak az Alien univerzumában volt, egy teljesen más történetet mesélt, itt konkrétan ilyen nincs. Ráadásul azt a történetet is törölték a Covenant-ban. Ez emberek nem más, mint egy agyatlan buta, de NAGYON látványfilm. Ha az Alien 3 volt botrányos, akkor ez meg egész egyszerűen tragédia! Expand
Nobilis1984Jun 12, 2017
Even worse than alien 3. A frightfully lame story with dull actors leaves the predecessor's film really well there. This film offered even more for the eye and had better actors. Let the alien row rest, finally, and breaks you not always more.
AcolonAug 18, 2017
Offensive movie. One of the worst movies I ever watched. Ruined the Alien lore for good with this one. The characters are very bad developed, half of them killed themselves. The plot is miserable. Run.
TheManMountainJul 10, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I, like many others, got really excited when Ridley Scott decided to return to the Alien franchise, a film that to this day stands the test of time and is still one of the greatest science fiction and/or horror movies of all time...

Then he gave us Prometheus, one of the worst films I think I had seen at the cinema at the time. It looked stunning but was full of terrible plotholes and incredibly poorly written characters - not to mention it turned what was one of the scariest creatures in movie history into a joke... created from magic space goo...

Spoilers for Covenant follow:

Alien: Covenant comes along and we start to think that Scott has learned his lesson, he knows Prometheus was terrible and he has listened to the feedback from the fans... The xenomorph is back and we're going to see how the Engineers created them... NOPE! What an absolute mess of a film... The first 30 minutes was dedicated to the tragedy of space sails, followed by holographic distress beacons... Then the entire crew (bar I think 3, if I recall correctly?) was sent down to the planet (no room for precautions here) and we're subjected to a lack of safety protocols (which made the Prometheus crew at least look competent) and weird albino aliens that grow once again from magic space goo into full blown adults in about 12 minutes. We're left with a flashback showing that David (somehow now fully repaired and looking brand new after being decapitated) randomly decides to just kill all of the engineers... He is somehow immune to the aliens (despite the fact previous films have shown androids getting attacked, see Bishop) and can act as a father figure (this makes sense in the same way animals can attach themselves to the first thing they see, however the alien is fully grown and still sees David as "papa Smurf")...

Then we're left with people dying, 1 by 1 in very poor and generic ways, until the reveal that David made the aliens (kinda, I mean the chestburster is now a teeny tiny alien rather than a chestburster so you could argue that these are not the Xenomorphs we know and love!) - which leads to what is left of the crew (including the new android who is more powerful, can superheal and other things) going back to the ship (because we see David, killed by his doppelganger off screen so we KNOW it can't possibly be David going back to the ship, RIGHT?!) - and then once again we are left with a fully grown Alien on a spaceship, only thanks to the much more advanced technology (despite it being a prequel) we see the alien on cameras and on a map and you know where it is at all times...

And then the "strong female" character, who isn't a patch on Ripley, Sarah Connor or other strong characters from the past, decides to work out if David is David when she's already entered a cryo pod (she could have just, I dunno, looked for the stab wound from earlier seeing as David doesn't have super healing)...

The film is not only poor in terms of action and suspense, but it doesn't feel part of the universe it's proud to reference - there's far too much CGI (when practical effects could have been used) and the technology feels centuries ahead of what you see in the previous movies, where we had a "random beep every 12 seconds" in Alien we're given an almost fully rendered hologram of Dr Shaw...

There's no horror elements as you're fully aware of where the alien is at all times, there's no suspense because all of the big setpieces are either in broad daylight or overly CGI and there's no mystery because everything is just so generically overdone.

If you want to see a GOOD follow up to the Alien franchise please check out the game Alien Isolation (If you're not a gamer I'm sure you can find some good rundowns and videos on YouTube or Twitch) which both respects and honours the source material but also adds a story of its own...

I am not clued in with sales figures but I truly hope this film has failed to make money so that we don't get a saequel... Please either leave the franchise alone or bring in someone who hasn't lost their touch.
ber06Aug 19, 2017
Reboot at the expense of something new, it's like watching Alien all over again with some new graphics even the same **** music, inconsistent bs. As a fan of the Alien franchise I feel offended.
DubeauJun 4, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very conventional alien movie. The film explains briefly what happen to Shaw, the engineer planet but...they all feel like shortcuts explanations. The rest can be seen a mile away, the villain robot, the alien killing everyone on ground and in space. The FX are fine, the sound is not always good, the music is forgettable. The horror is just average and the level of stupidity of the crew is even more daunting (especially since the movie always try to say they have to protect the colonist, something they always fail to do). They speak of protocols but implement almost none of them. Which makes this film story a real joke that is unbelievable, even more then Prometheus. I give it 30%, because I loved the first 20 minutes without any aliens. Expand
VDSAug 11, 2017
Prequel – doesn’t that just mean the franchise has run out of ideas on the sequel front, but the studio still wants to wring $ from the concept? Certainly seems true here. But to Ridley Scott’s credit, he’s killed the Alien prequels in halfPrequel – doesn’t that just mean the franchise has run out of ideas on the sequel front, but the studio still wants to wring $ from the concept? Certainly seems true here. But to Ridley Scott’s credit, he’s killed the Alien prequels in half the number of films it took to end the sequels. Alien: Covenant clocks in at just over two hours, and I can honestly say in all that time I didn’t see a single original idea up on the screen. It was all a re-mash of every other Alien. A collection of clichés that failed to work on every level. I was neither engaged by or interested in any of the characters. The setting was a joyless, grey vista that no one in their right mind would want to colonise. And the Alien had zero menace about it.

As the ‘twist’ ending played out, I was left wondering how Scott managed to pull off such a masterstroke with the original film. Was he just a lucky chancer who happened to be in the right place at the right time (a la George Lucas and Star Wars)? These first two Alien prequels certainly remind me of the Phantom Menace etc. – all CGI style and no substance.

The only slightly redeeming feature here was Danny McBride’s character. He wasn’t quite as cardboard as the rest, and certainly not as irritating as David/Walter, with their ridiculous diction and stilted movements. Rumour has it there may not be any more Alien Prequels. Thank goodness for that. The beasty itself might be very difficult to kill, but not so much the franchise. With the prequels’ clumsy father/son subplot, it’s fitting that the man who gave birth to the Alien is also the one who’s killed it. Nice one Ridley.
ArconAug 23, 2017
There are some incredible parts especially the interaction with the synthetics BUT most choices they made to move the script along involve utterly stupid choices by the humans. I mean, nobody chosen to be a colony officer would be makingThere are some incredible parts especially the interaction with the synthetics BUT most choices they made to move the script along involve utterly stupid choices by the humans. I mean, nobody chosen to be a colony officer would be making these decisions. That's where it lost me. Expand
vcts1993Jul 29, 2017
The plot of the movie don't make any frickin' sense, the characters are completly dumb and cannot make a single (i repeat) A SINGLE good, and well thought decision the entire movie. Lookslike ALL characters has 12 years old and can't stops aThe plot of the movie don't make any frickin' sense, the characters are completly dumb and cannot make a single (i repeat) A SINGLE good, and well thought decision the entire movie. Lookslike ALL characters has 12 years old and can't stops a single minute to think what they're about to do.

This movie is clearly a continuation of the PROMETHEUS one... where they transformed a sci-fi horror series into a nonsense boring terror movie that make the Alien fans wants to sleep in the middle of it. And they kept the same boring, senseless and uninteresting style on Alien Covenant.

At all, is a HUGE disapointment to all fans of the franchise...
ozymandias79Aug 24, 2017
What a steaming pile of horse crap. The only good thing is that Alien: Covenant is slightly better than Prometheus, but it still suffers from similar nonsensical plot choices. Why are cryovessels hanging up on coat hangers, seems like theyWhat a steaming pile of horse crap. The only good thing is that Alien: Covenant is slightly better than Prometheus, but it still suffers from similar nonsensical plot choices. Why are cryovessels hanging up on coat hangers, seems like they should be little more secure than that. Why is there a flammable gas inside them? Why do they run outside without any sort of protection (again) from things like, gee - I don't know, weird alien spores! The list goes on and on. Also, could the ending be anymore predicable? Give the Alien franchise back to James Cameron! Expand
BabakritikJun 13, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. At the begin i was confused about the story i didnt realized what was the end and the beginning.
My first Question why the Captain in the Sleep Box was burned up to hell.
And the next Point is you cant at the end decide who is actually Walter(The Androids) and who is David(The Androids).
And why do you take on Board 10 Years ago a deadly Virus with the Mission to make new a life and colorize a new Planet.
I dont have any conclusion
Salt-BaeOct 20, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you like seeing dumb characters make stupid decisions, but haven't been satisfied with any of the previous films, then this is the film for you. Scott has doubled down on retarded space explorers for you guys on this instalment, so enjoy.

Jokes aside, this has to be one of the worst films of the franchise I have seen, up there with the likes of Aliens 3 and the AVP spinoffs. It has everything from overused cliches, predictable plot points, infuriatingly retarded characters and awful CGI.

If you were expecting some answers to the questions or payoff for the setup that was established in Prometheus, then I'm afraid you are **** out of luck. Nothing is answered, period. In fact Shaw and the Engineers have all been killed. So don't expect the hypothetical sequel to this bollocks to answer anything either. The characters get zero development and you will not care about any of them. You'll most likely be cheering for their deaths seeing as how they're all as thick as asphalt milkshakes. Imagine a ship full of Kanes and that is the Covenant crew.

Honestly, this could very well work as a spoof of the Alien franchise as a whole. Word of advise Ridley; if people are laughing at your horror film thats a clear sign you haven't done a good job.

However, if you are only interested in seeing xenomorphs and blood and don't care about stale overused plot, then you are a moron who will love this movie, just like all the people giving this film a score over five.
ABRNov 30, 2018
This is a s**t with two kissing Fassbenders and 5 minutes about the alien itself. And stupidity of characters is beyond the limits.
MosquitozzzzzJul 10, 2017
Unrealistic st..pid movie, all personages are s..pid, planet of human creators are like human primitive village from sparta in ancient time, ... xenomorph grow from tiny to monstro without food in seconds.. and so on so on st..pidity afterUnrealistic st..pid movie, all personages are s..pid, planet of human creators are like human primitive village from sparta in ancient time, ... xenomorph grow from tiny to monstro without food in seconds.. and so on so on st..pidity after st..pidity. Ridley Scott do shty movies. His Aliens are st..pid. Bad st..pid movies. No more Ridley Scott movies for me. Expand
HaterOfHatersJul 9, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Predictable, monotonous and worst of all: a total lack of charisma and strength in each and every Covenant character.
For me it was disappointing, Ridley had it all in favor to make a great film and continue the story of this wonderful saga as it should. The shadow of Prometheus was very long, and it seems that the director could not catch the helm of the ship.
Nostromo and Ripley become bigger, they are already legend ... And the fact is that Elizabeth Shaw was the perfect candidate to occupy that emptiness. He missed her a lot. With his lack, the film loses the course.
Then the subject of David, which must have disappeared and instead is augmented in an incomprehensibly awkward way, giving more importance even than the own alien. Bad bad
HansVJun 4, 2017
A big spaceship with 2000+ human life forms on board, commanded by people you wouldn´t let drive a bus. The female lead is not even somewhat attractive. Alien and Aliens are classy films. This one is trash.
gabbygabJun 4, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a jaded Prometheus fan, who somewhat tricked to go see this movie after seeing the Crossing, but we don't matter it seems (as RS thinks that movie was a mistake). If only I could unwatch as it Ruined Prometheus with dr. Shaw's fate.
The movie sincerely can only be praised for it's camera work.
NarmyJun 1, 2017
Great effects, but what a pathetic plot! Ridley Scott has managed to send a crew of imbeciles into space. Very forgettable and cliched characters, predictable and trite action sequences. I wish I could get my money back!
VaffanculoMay 30, 2017
Bad Alien movie. Would not watch again. It misses all of the things that made Alien a good movie and the effects where lacking with the Aliens back spikes clipping like a video game, and some scenes just look really fake and dumb. You canBad Alien movie. Would not watch again. It misses all of the things that made Alien a good movie and the effects where lacking with the Aliens back spikes clipping like a video game, and some scenes just look really fake and dumb. You can tell this movie was rushed and was more of a squeal to Prometheus than the Alien movies. I should of learned from Alien 3 that they'll never made a good Alien movie again and I'm right. Expand
veelaJun 1, 2017
I love the Alien franchise, but this movie is hot, pubertal garbage. It messed with the whole Alien mythology. Has the most boring and dumb characters and is overall pretty boring. The only bright spot is Fassbender.
APM61May 30, 2017
I am a big Alien movie fan. I have seen them all and was looking forward to a great time with Covenant. I am sorry to report that this movie failed to deliver on all counts. It had very poor plot development from the beginning. The heavy useI am a big Alien movie fan. I have seen them all and was looking forward to a great time with Covenant. I am sorry to report that this movie failed to deliver on all counts. It had very poor plot development from the beginning. The heavy use of extremely gory scenes made the film a little disgusting to watch. I left the theater wanting a refund. See something else. Expand
LXQUICKJUSTICEJun 4, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It gets a 2 for visuals, and most importantly, the phenomenal musical score, but beyond that, absolute garbage. There are so many things wrong with this movie on so many levels, from destroying and ret-conning the lore of the ALIEN series, to contradicting Prometheus, to blatantly trying to copy/paste ALIEN 1979 in the third act. Every single character in this movie is forgettable, with the exception of David, and the problem with him is he's Satan. I didn't come to watch a militant atheism flick. I came to watch an ALIEN movie, but the basic premise of this movie is, to sum it up, 'God created Satan but Satan's better, herpa-derp, despair!' Spoilers ahead...

Okay... so now David is the guy who created the ALIEN, not those badass engineers, and he did it cuz he didn't like being Weyland's **** and is butthurt about not being able to create life... Wow, isn't that cool? That doesn't totally ruin the franchise and mystery of the xenomorph or anything... Epic FAIL Ridley Scott! Someone please take the series away from him before it's too late.
LuxLibertasSep 14, 2017
Alien Covenant is the prime example of what happens when a studio and a director effectively bow to the hardcore fanboys and ignore genuine criticism. Prometheus was never a perfect film, nothing ever is. But it offered us a new take on theAlien Covenant is the prime example of what happens when a studio and a director effectively bow to the hardcore fanboys and ignore genuine criticism. Prometheus was never a perfect film, nothing ever is. But it offered us a new take on the Alien universe, which was a welcome change after the four decades of non-stop xenomorphs in games, novels, comics, TV series and movies. Ridley himself even stated that he viewed the xenomorph creature as "cooked".

But it seems like most people unfortunately didn't like to leave their comfort zone and started crying about the fact that no xenomorphs showed up in the film. Fox Studios and Ridley Scott focused entirely on that instead of the genuine criticism offered by more level-headed movie-goers such as the bizarre character choices, plot induced stupidity and just not very good writing.

And the result is Alien Covenant. A film that very clearly is having an identity crisis. You can almost see the scalpel Fox uses as they try to desperately cut off as many references to Promtheus as possible, wrapping everything up in a quick, unsatisfying way so that the touchy fanboys don't have another fit.

Things wrong with Covenant:

1. Virtually zero character development.

Most of the characters in this film are there to get murdered. Simple as that. So the movie makes practically zero effort in developing them. The first time I went into the film, I never even knew the crew was made up of couples until someone either died or openly stated "my wife". One very crucial scene that actually gives these meaningless sacks of meat a smidgen of development is not even in the movie. It's on YouTube. The Last Supper plays very similar to the first Alien where the characters have a laugh round the table. It even has a character choke on their food and someone say "The foods not that bad". In this scene, we can clearly see who is with who and they get a little more personality. Why was this scene not in the film? This would have made it less confusing and might have made us actually care. Maybe they had to cut it out to include that god-awful shower sex scene.

The main character Daniels (we don't even know her first name) is bland. She is another Ripley wannabe, with practically no motivation apart from she wants to build a cabin on a lake. Compare that to Shaw from Prometheus, who had a variety of interesting qualities and motivations as to why she wanted to meet those who created Humanity. A far more interesting character.

2. Plot induced stupidity.

Once again we are introduced to a gaggle of morons on a spaceship, who surpass the stupidity of the previous films crew with flying colours. Say what you like about the Prometheus guys, at least they wore helmets at the start.

This clearly shows that Ridley and Fox took literally nothing on board from the last films genuine complaints and only listened to those who cried about xenomorphs. The stupidity is back and it is kicking it up ten-fold. The characters in this movie make mindbogglingly thick decisions, ranging from walking around on an unknown planet without any protective suit on, trampling and sticking their faces over alien plants, opening locked quarantine doors that have hostile creatures inside and following an obviously insane android down into a dark cavern to become alien food.

Honestly if someone had told me this was a spoof of Prometheus, I would have believed it 100%. It's so obvious that the characters are being stupid purely to get the aliens in the film and it is detrimental to the overall experience.

3. It wraps up the Prometheus story in the most insulting way.

Shaw and the Engineers are dead. Killed off in a blatant attempt to get rid of the Prometheus plotline entirely. I was so utterly disgusted when I found this out. It felt like I was watching Alien 3 for the first time again.

I was so looking forward to seeing more of the Engineers as a species and Shaws interactions with them. An interesting storyline snuffed out to appease the xeno fanboys. It disgusts me how Scott weakly admits that trying something new was a bad idea. Shaw was a developed protagonist. She had interesting motivations and qualities and she actually was turning into a badass by the end of Prometheus. All of that development, gone in the blink of an eye. Replaced by a generic Ripley wannabe who is a piece of dry bread compared to Shaw.

4. David creating the xenos

Thankfully the books make it clear he didn't since it messed up the lore and made the aliens a lot less interesting. But the film seems to purposely imply he was the one who created the species. The book is basically damage control for this pile of steaming horse ****

All in all, Covenant is a well acted, well shot and very pretty looking awful movie. I hope Scott retires from the franchise and it is never touched again. You tried and failed twice now, stop this before George Lucas gives these prequels his stamp of approval.
mintloMay 4, 2018
The good: I like the cast. The space ships look cool.

The good: I like the cast. The space ships look cool.

THe bad: The script is so bad. I don't know who in their right mind would read the script and make this movie. Who goes to an alien world where their could be deadly bacteria/viruses and just walks around without an enclosed space suit? It goes on and on, I think prometheus was bad too so this continues the trend.
The cgi alien that comes out of the people looks terrible. They should've used the practical effects like the first couple Alien films. In short, I'm really disappointed with how these Alien films have been. The first two were great, the third was ok. This movie is a giant piece of **** and this script should have never been green lit.
rockonMar 4, 2018
I thought the production values and acting standards were good and it not inaccurate to say some things were visually dazzling. But the story line is old and tired. Do they have to blend the original ALIEN movie now into every scienceI thought the production values and acting standards were good and it not inaccurate to say some things were visually dazzling. But the story line is old and tired. Do they have to blend the original ALIEN movie now into every science fiction movie about outer space? Can't they invent another monster? The characters are supposed to be highly educated and trained people, but they are dumb as toast. They take absolutely no precautions or protocols to protect themselves from anything. They don't even wear airtight suits when they land on the planet. Scientists are careful people. What science expedition would invade a planet in a large group before even taking air and soil samples? We're taking extensive samples of Mars before we even dare to land there. One reason being the danger of harmful life forms. The same danger in this movie. I look for originality in art and modern film just seems to keep repeating itself. Even when they try not to be redundant,they still are. This movie doesn't add anything stimulating or even faintly original to the Science Fiction Genre. It's same old, same old. It's just set them up, and watch the same old aliens kill them. I had read nothing about the movie and with in minutes of the opening I knew this was a sequel to Prometheus. They really didn't need a sequel to that movie. I understand a sequel to Covenant was in the works and was shelved. Watch this movie and you'll know why. Watch it when really nothing else vaguely interesting is on. It likely will beat most stuffy documentaries for you, but not by much. Expand
red_ninja_9Jul 24, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretty underwhelming, Prometheus was much better. So the AI humanoid was playing god and recreated these aliens that in turns killed all the colonists, like why. This movie is mediocre at most, redbox it! Expand
PsykoklaptorskeMar 19, 2018
Why isn't there a minus five for this one? Anyway. Lets get into it

Why isn't there a minus five for this one? Anyway. Lets get into it

The movie is a clash of crap storytelling from beginning to end. If You thought that Prometheus was bad, then you havent seen nothing yet. It's the lovechild of Jar Jar Binks and Rian Johnson (or whatever the hell the director of TLJ was called). Characters are two dimensional, if that, and the plotholes glare you in the face like nothing You have seen since Prometheus. Do not watch it. Do not buy it. Just leave it alone, untill you have a quiet night alone with a bottle of Jack Daniels... and a few joints.
renmazuohMay 31, 2017
Very disappointed to see the long awaited Alien movie and realize that it completely failed all my expectations.It's empty,boring like hell,it cannot even compare to 100K B movies.123 mins of pure shame.Please don't waste your time,I did it.Very disappointed to see the long awaited Alien movie and realize that it completely failed all my expectations.It's empty,boring like hell,it cannot even compare to 100K B movies.123 mins of pure shame.Please don't waste your time,I did it.
here's my rating:
0 involvement
0 rythm
0 emotions
0 to the ridicolous cast
10 to Ridley Scott if he puts on paper he'll never ever sign again an alien project
SkulbJun 1, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's been a long time since a movie did so many things wrong, while still managing to take itself seriously. It looks nice for the most part, and mostly it's well shot and stuff.
But the characterization is almost nonexistent. One of the reasons Alien was good was that the characters were convincing so you could empathize with them, and that the dialog between those characters was well-written and sounded natural. At the end of Covenant I only knew the names of two human characters. Everyone else was just horror flesh. And even the two human characters I knew the names of were poorly defined. The only one who gets a profile is David the android. Not his alter ego Walter though. He only gets to react to David's genocidal stupidity. Where Alien targeted the dialog so that the characters were almost always talking TO SOMEONE, all the dialog in Covenant is directed at anyone nearby. They are all making speeches or commenting on Ridley Scott's sets. Not one line of natural dialog is spoken in the entire movie.
What minimal character development there is is so hamfisted and cliche that you wish they hadn't even bothered with it. One character is apparently religious, and he has just the clunkiest, most appallingly bad lines you can imagine. The movie tries very hard to convince you with this that religious people are extra bad, while genocide and mass murder of humans is good. Of course the other humans are also bad, but religious people are just really extra bad and need to die immediately.

And to make matters worse, the story is driven by some of the most astounding stupidity you'll ever see in a movie. If everyone is not a complete moron, the movie doesn't happen. First the religious captain decides to reroute his colony ship mid-mission so that everyone will be killed by aliens. Then they decide to land immediately when they arrive, to make sure that everyone will be killed by aliens. Once they land they all decide to go camping without any protective gear on so that everyone will get killed by aliens. Then they breathe in alien mushroom spores so that everyone will be killed by aliens. It's like they are stupid little children wandering aimlessly around touching everything they see. The movie should be called Boring, Faceless, Moron Children in Space. This is not a proper movie script. This is expositional oohs and aahs from the morons, interrupted by expositional Hitler speeches from the Blade Runners, uhm, I mean androids. They even do flashbacks, which is Hollywood speak for "I don't have any respect for my audience anymore at all".

And the worst part isn't really that it is terrible. We've survived terrible Alien movies before. But it is that it spits on the existing, good movies. Even Prometheus, which was awful as well in my view, gets spat on. They dump the entire origin story they were cooking up in that movie, as well as destroying any mystery about the alien itself, which is btw a complete side character in this franchise now. And the old movies now make no sense, because Covenant messes up the timeline.
The original from 1979 had an engineer fossil in the ship the crew found. And that fossil had alien eggs in its baggage compartment. It takes thousands of years for something to properly fossilize, so clearly the original is implying that the eggs have somehow been dormant for thousands of years along with the fossilized captain.
But now it is revealed in Covennant that the Blade Runner made the eggs just a few years before the setting of the original Alien. So why were the eggs in the ship from the original now, if the engineer had nothing to do with them?
Do the alien eggs Blade Runner created need to be hatched in the proximity of engineer fossils? Did he make a fake engineer fossil in the derelict ship before laying his eggs next to it? And if so, why? Did he invent a time machine, go back in time and kill off all the engineers just so they would have the time to properly fossilize for Ripley and her friends to find, before returning to the present to lay his eggs next to it? And what would be the point of that anyway? And if he did kill the engineers in the distant past, how could he have killed them again with his grey goo lawn sprinkler in the idiotic Covenant flashback?

Just this one scene in Alien now makes absolutely no sense because of Covenant. And since Alien is a vastly superior movie, I will pretend Covenant is wrong and yet another non-Alien movie for me to ignore. It is a poorly written, idiotic romanticization of genocide and transhumanism, rife with anti-human anti-religious messages. And personally I am so tired of this being the only message Hollywood has left. Why does the movie need this crude propaganda anyway? Oh that's right, it's because it doesn't have a script and is desperate for something, anything, that will make it seem intelligent instead of a giant waste of time. It looks OK and is well shot. But it fails spectacularly at both horror and sci fi.
NandiJun 1, 2017
This is what happens when number of neurons in your brain is so low its alien. Alcohol + finding Jesus in old age = big albino space Jesus cant create xenomorphs because then you cant go to heaven. RIP Gigers artistic vision and worldThis is what happens when number of neurons in your brain is so low its alien. Alcohol + finding Jesus in old age = big albino space Jesus cant create xenomorphs because then you cant go to heaven. RIP Gigers artistic vision and world building. Two points are only for visuals, cudos to visual department, everything else is beyond repair. Expand
qamasterJul 22, 2017
I do not understand how such nonsense can someone please? In the film there is simply no fantasy. Astronauts are infected with some rubbish. Inside a man a monster is born, which comes out of his belly. Ah, yes, in the new film there is a bigI do not understand how such nonsense can someone please? In the film there is simply no fantasy. Astronauts are infected with some rubbish. Inside a man a monster is born, which comes out of his belly. Ah, yes, in the new film there is a big difference - the monster does not get out of the stomach, but from the back ... this is all the novelty. Expand
tremaultMay 25, 2017
Michael Fassbender the sequel. to make this more of a review, I'll elaborate. I don't really remember the other characters at all. the film seemed solely made to show a load of death and gore, and to showcase David's psychosis and to giveMichael Fassbender the sequel. to make this more of a review, I'll elaborate. I don't really remember the other characters at all. the film seemed solely made to show a load of death and gore, and to showcase David's psychosis and to give Michael Fassbender an additional platform. Expand
ddreddMay 26, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After watching the making of Prometheus (Prometheus-The Furious Gods) I came away with the distinct feeling that when Ridley Scott decided to make Prometheus he didn't have a clear idea about where the story would go, and so it was shot in a very organic 'we'll see where this leads us' type of way, which I believe is why in the end there is so much about the themes raised in the story that remain unanswered.
That film was however, despite some its more obvious plot failings, an interesting thought provoking exercise that many of us believed would provide a fertile basis from which to further explore the riddle of the Engineers and the black goo. Alien covenant disappoints because it fails in so many ways to explore and address any of the interesting themes raised in its prequel. We learn nothing about the engineers and their role in the creation of humankind, or why they created the back goo to rid themselves of us in the first place. We learn nothing more about Shaw after she escapes certain death at the hands of the alien, other than that she meets a lonely, tragic, violent and ultimately senseless death at the hands of David. Where I felt the most let down was the idea that after all the speculation regarding the motivations of the Engineers and why they created us and then supposedly tried to destroy us, in the end, David was the mad scientist responsible for creating and unleashing the alien hybrid on humankind. How cute, how trite, how utterly banal. The reasons given to explain his conversion from thoughtful caring companion to cold vicious, sadistic, callous, genocidal killer are not just unconvincing but down right bizarre. In the end despite his vaunted freedom and creativity he like his creators, flawed, and no better than they. His one achievement the xenomorph is not truly an act of creation but the derivative work of a tinkerer. Shades of Deux ex machina! Was this really the best Ridley Scott and his writers could come up with? If none of that matters to you and all you want is a few thrills and chills, then Aliens Covenant won't disappoint. It's chock full of predictable scenarios, with forgettable characters routinely making illogical and incomprehensible decisions all in the service of advancing an extremely thin plot. In no way is this effort the equal of its predecessors. If
anything it is a step back a missed opportunity. This could have been a defining moment in the Aliens mythos. As it stands now it nothing more than another pedestrian numeral in a series that will soon fade away into obscurity.
lurodavisMay 26, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While Prometheus was there to leave a viewer confused and somewhat annoyed at a story that attempts to set the stage, Covenant beats the viewer over the head with predictability and characters that are just begging to die - either because they're married and really want you to know it, or because they keep droning on about their faith or their dreams in a manner that in no way adds to the already thin narrative. Additionally, with the characters crafted in such a shoddy way, the viewer is left counting down the minutes until the alien shows up and eats the members of the crew. And this is what is going to happen. Viewers know this going in. But with the overly tidy and predictable package that is Michael Fassbender's character(s) and the lack of depth in any character other than Tennessee (who is seemingly only interesting because it's Danny McBride in a somewhat serious role), the movie appears to care less about the audience and more about getting on to the next film in the series. Expand
ccstoneMay 26, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Contemptible garbage.

Nothing fresh.
The crew *never* feels like *crew*.
You never care more than (very) superficially about any of the characters.
Idiotic plot-movers.
The weapons (supposedly 2104) were obviously 21st Century.
Pathetically shallow regurgitated story.
Pitiful creature design (aside from the last seen alien on the colony ship).
Asinine Friday the 13th moment on the colony ship toward the end.
The end made me feel my time was completely wasted.

After the execrable “Prometheus” and now this muck I'll never pay to see another Ridley Scott film.
gromitMay 28, 2017
I thought going into this with zero expectations and thinking at least it can't be worse than Prometheus would let me enjoy this movie. Sadly I was wrong, this movie is riddled with plot holes and idiotic pointless story dead ends. The aliensI thought going into this with zero expectations and thinking at least it can't be worse than Prometheus would let me enjoy this movie. Sadly I was wrong, this movie is riddled with plot holes and idiotic pointless story dead ends. The aliens really are just a side story to psychotic Android that wants to kill people. Aliens that birth almost instantly and magically become full grown in seconds and more people with suicide complexes that are happy to investigate alone. You don't get invested in ANY characters as they are all without substance. I guess at least we have something to make Prometheus not the worst alien movie in the franchise. The plot was boring as hell and above all extremely predictable, especially the ending. Expand
MD5774May 29, 2017
This move was basically Alien 1.0. This was a total disappointment for me . Ridley Scott has wasted studio and everyone's time with this movie. Don't waste your money
tozzMay 23, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. They had such an amazing setup after Prometheus to drive the story about the engineers, instead they decided on a 90's college horror movie, I mean, they even have a shower scene, with the additional hentai reference.
A super advanced race, far beyond humanity, gets "tricked" into accepting a rogue ship filled with weapons, and in the same spirit the AI on the human ship doesn't realize it's another android coming aboard? Weak doesn't even begin to describe it.
The worst of the worst is however when the captain discovers David to be completely broken, using the basement for experiments and seeing the corpse of Shaw, he then proceeds to follow David into a chamber of alien eggs, and trusts him when he says it's OK. Was being brain dead a requirement for becoming second in command?

If you like Prometheus and the Alien movies you need to watch it for completeness, but don't waste money going to the cinema.
AnimeactionArgMay 22, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I ve Just seen this crap movie in Imax theatre and it was a waste of money. ..very very slow, very predictable, without any intention to search ours creators but the alien itself with a poor script and a crazy android who plays the maniac sci villian in this movie who likes Wagner, is blonde and like genetics research with living tissues. ..ring a Nazi bell please...very cartoonish and old fashioned. On the other hand, Mother : how Could you detect the Alien and NOT the evil droid who replace the improve model???? How can the girl captain ignore the auto healing feature of Walter and Keep seeing David without Notice until too late? ?? Very very predictible, throws away all the mystique about Alien origins and put an evil Bishop to born the creature which can Inflate and grows faster than future movies in timeline. ..absurd the new chestbuster which pops out like a neca action figure and mimic its father droid. The flute scene. ...my god why??? Save money and time, dowload later. ..go and see another movie or the Original Alien. MR Scott, I want my money back!! Thanks to destroy all the myth!!! Expand
TOdi1234Jun 2, 2017
Its all about money this days. **** quality of the movie! But still , nice speciall effects, camera shots and stuff. If u are real Alien fan - avoid this thing - wait fore something better.
unfhuntMay 20, 2017
The main idea, first exposition scene and visual part of the film was nice, but everything else just nonsense. The character's motivations and their actions are completely stupid. Let me recall the crew members that i saw. There are threeThe main idea, first exposition scene and visual part of the film was nice, but everything else just nonsense. The character's motivations and their actions are completely stupid. Let me recall the crew members that i saw. There are three captains, 1 medic, 1 biology, and ... all others who should die soon. All this crew with darwin Awards was responsible for 2 thousand lives? What a mess... The plot goes down so fast and so deeply that i even tired to think about logic of all happening there. Auwful script. Expand
saucyninja007May 21, 2017
This film fails as a sci-fi film, an action film, a horror film, and a drama. Apparently audiences are supposed to be swayed by pretty imagery, half-baked philosophy, and allusions to great works of art. Instead of a tense, atmospheric horrorThis film fails as a sci-fi film, an action film, a horror film, and a drama. Apparently audiences are supposed to be swayed by pretty imagery, half-baked philosophy, and allusions to great works of art. Instead of a tense, atmospheric horror film - like the masterful Alien - we get a movie about an android with daddy issues and a god complex. Most of the film revolves around guessing which severely underdeveloped character will die next. I just saw the movie and I'm struggling to remember 90% of the characters' names or personality traits - oh wait, they had no personality traits. So what you are basically seeing is a teenage slasher that is trying to play itself off as a "thinking man's film." It is utterly embarrassing. It would be one thing of the movie was actually scary but it isn't. It is just gross and lots of people die. That is about it. Expand
HolaMrReyesMay 22, 2017
I'm giving this movie a score of 1. Although well-crafted, "Alien: Covenant" chickens out of the question raised by "Prometheus," and that is, "Who are the Engineers and if they created us, why did they want to destroy us?" Director RidleyI'm giving this movie a score of 1. Although well-crafted, "Alien: Covenant" chickens out of the question raised by "Prometheus," and that is, "Who are the Engineers and if they created us, why did they want to destroy us?" Director Ridley Scott and company appear to have been stumped by their own questions. Instead of using their imagination to craft an answer, they opted for a more cowardly approach and resorted to formula by cannnibalizing the high points of the previous "Alien" movies. Expand
mountainhighMay 22, 2017
All the waiting after Prometheus for this? Shame on you Mr. Scott. This is the worst movie of the series. I want my money back. Next time hire some real writers and some real actors.
TonyAntonyMay 26, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I met an Alien from an antique masterpiece
Who said: One vast and trunkless marble-skinned moron
Sleeps on a planet. On that planet, and another now
Utterly sunk, a shattered mythology lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of baffled contempt,
Tell that its director once well those passions read
Which no longer survive, stamped on these lifeless films,
The Prometheus that mocked us and the Covenant that rubbed it in:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ridley, king of Scotts,
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the ruin
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Five years ago, no one anticipated Prometheus as eagerly as I did. Once it came out, no one was more disappointed - I tried hard to like it, but could not - it sucked balls. I thought it could not get any worse. Oh how wrong I was. Prometheus sucked, but at least it TRIED, even if the result was an epic fail. It had some neat eye candy too. Covenant is way worse, which I thought was mathematically impossible. This movie feels like watching a TV rerun of AvP: Requiem with the commercials replaced by all the worst scenes of George Lucas' Star Wars prequels. Well, I guess one can say that Ridley has now finally surpassed Lucas - unfortunately, in the very worst sense of those words. When David says that in the end he pitied Weyland, he may as well have been referring to Ridley and his painfully inept tinkering with the great mythology he had once created. Just how ludicrous this has become is well-illustrated by the fact that the Xenomorph was, as we now learn, created by a tropey mad scientist/serial killer/Weylandstein Monster in a lair that looks like a superimposed combo of Buffalo Bill's and Hannibal Lecter's lairs from "Silence of the Lambs", all situated in what appears to be a Tunisian troglodyte boutique hotel itself situated smack in the middle of Pompeii. I mean, W the royal F?? I would put it to Ridley's old age, but between Prometheus and this he made "The Martian". And The Martian was actually pretty damn good. So there goes that excuse. Ridley, I love your work, had you only made Alien, or Blade Runner, or The Duellists, or Black Rain, and never made another good movie (which you did and still do, as proven by The Martian), you'd still be a movie genius. So. Please. Stop. Embarrassing. Yourself. By. Force-feeding. Us. Any. More. Of. This. Crap. Please!!!
Brent_MarchantMay 21, 2017
This is a franchise sorely in need of something radically fresh to keep it alive or a cancellation notice to put it (and viewers) out of misery. With the exception of a few spiritual vs. scientific plot devices, there's essentially nothingThis is a franchise sorely in need of something radically fresh to keep it alive or a cancellation notice to put it (and viewers) out of misery. With the exception of a few spiritual vs. scientific plot devices, there's essentially nothing new here that we haven't already seen many (and I do mean many) times before. Any attempts at enlivening the narrative are derivative at best, shedding no particularly new light on why any of this matters (or why viewers should care). Go back and watch the first two movies in the series -- they're much better. Expand
e4tangoMay 23, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How does such a rich creation become devoid of any merit? How does someone who became world renown for his ability to create intelligent entertainment turn his back on previous work and simply phone in his part before cashing a paycheck? Find the answer before you waste a single moment of your life with Alien: Covenant. Imagine being enthralled with the original, inspired by the follow-up and then being let down by each successive installment. If you thought any of those latter variations paled in comparison, this one will truly astound you when you realize Sir Ridley Scott was involved. Sidebar note: I predict the next "Blade Runner" movie will suck balls. What a shame that Neil Bloomkamp's desire to bring back the terrifying version of Alien is seemingly lost now forever. Expand
peabuddieMay 21, 2017
Alien Covenant is sadly lacking in both aliens and a covenant. The film fails to provide any reason to care about any of the humans. There are too many of them and no attempt is made to develop thier character. This film is about David, notAlien Covenant is sadly lacking in both aliens and a covenant. The film fails to provide any reason to care about any of the humans. There are too many of them and no attempt is made to develop thier character. This film is about David, not aliens, not really and not the humans. There is no tension, no desperation, no drama. It's just about another crazy robot. It's basically a prequel or a part one of what they believe will be an ongoing development of the Alien universe in film. This story might fly in a graphic novel or comic but not as a film. I paid way too much for far too little. I really feel that Alien Covenant is a bit arrogant and presumptuous. It basically says come pay for all our movies if you ever want to see a xenomorph again. Also I think they need to look up the definition of "covenant" because I saw no such thing anywhere in this film. What a waste and total disappointment. Expand
SamslaraMay 20, 2017
This movie was pretty terrible. I constantly got irritated throughout the movie because of all the stupid things the characters did. It also seems like the movie somewhat acknowledged this by saying how the crew are civilians or something,This movie was pretty terrible. I constantly got irritated throughout the movie because of all the stupid things the characters did. It also seems like the movie somewhat acknowledged this by saying how the crew are civilians or something, which is irritating in itself. I can't stress how many different ways this movie irritated me.
One good thing I liked about the movie, though, are the visuals. This was really well done. Everything looked and moved around naturally.
Patrique_BrazilMay 21, 2017
Check out the critics of this movie on my channel. Ridley Scott, I think you need to take a vacation for you to get inspired.

SpecH82May 19, 2017
The entire movie is a “big horror trope”.
The Aliens so called origin… No, just NO.
Worst Alien movie ever. I’d would have rather played the piece of crap Alien: Colonial Marines game again, than watch this movie, if I had known it would be
The entire movie is a “big horror trope”.
The Aliens so called origin… No, just NO.
Worst Alien movie ever.
I’d would have rather played the piece of crap Alien: Colonial Marines game again, than watch this movie, if I had known it would be this bad, boring and uninteresting and full of horror tropes.
If this is the future of Alien franchise…. Well they are offing their brand.

The only good thing in this movie is the visuals.
jerkface910May 19, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Scott continues the trend he introduced in Prometheus of sending the most inept idiots into space on important missions. I wouldn't trust the crew of the Covenant to run a closing shift at a Wendy's, let alone helm a colonization effort. On top of that, the story picks up where Prometheus left off, keeping a lot of those silly elements in play. Characters muse about the origin of human life, but who cares? We come for the murderous aliens, not meandering philosophy. Expand
Umbrella-17May 20, 2017
The worst alien movie ever. The story doesn't make any sense and this just **** up the Alien mythologies so bad. The only good thing about this movie is the visual style of the creatures Space Ships,Costume and the world. I don't want to tellThe worst alien movie ever. The story doesn't make any sense and this just **** up the Alien mythologies so bad. The only good thing about this movie is the visual style of the creatures Space Ships,Costume and the world. I don't want to tell much because i don't want to spoil but i suggest you to watch Alien Covenant Prologue on YouTube its like 3 videos that take place before the movie but those are not in the actual movie which is completely stupid in itself to sacrifice 12 minutes of videos out of the movies that clearly needed them. Also its a direct Sequel to Prometheus so if you hated Prometheus i suggest you to skip this movie also there is like around 20 to 30 minutes worth of Aliens footage in the movie don't Expect to see them all along the movie. Expand
JohnAbMay 23, 2017
I watched advance clips with great enthusiasm. I loved the Alien series.

This one reverts to the new Trump homophobia. The gay male couple and 2 lesbians were deleted from the US version. Stupid.
martinlasoMay 23, 2017
Hated Covenant. How they just didn't went further with the Engineers and their story. How they created Xenomorphs and humans. f-ing Ridley Scott and the soft reboot of Alien. Same cliche movie, same as all the other Aliens. I thought thereHated Covenant. How they just didn't went further with the Engineers and their story. How they created Xenomorphs and humans. f-ing Ridley Scott and the soft reboot of Alien. Same cliche movie, same as all the other Aliens. I thought there was more depth to his creation than the same f-ing we see in Covenant! Plus even the Trailers for the movie are inconsistent with the movie, Ridley Scott just did a cheap fan based movie for dumb alien fans. If you wanted the whole lure of the Prometheus story, just forgetted. They are abandoned , they will never be answered Expand
thebagginsMay 21, 2017
This movie is simply terrible. Scary Movie has more scare. The plot is nonsensical. The characters appear to all be lacking any sensibility and we are all better off knowing they are dead. If you thought Prometheus was a pile of sh*t thenThis movie is simply terrible. Scary Movie has more scare. The plot is nonsensical. The characters appear to all be lacking any sensibility and we are all better off knowing they are dead. If you thought Prometheus was a pile of sh*t then you'll feel very much the same about Covenant. Should be rated "MS" for "Mature / Stupid". Save your money and wait for it on free to air TV Expand
BloodyrusMay 21, 2017
Bad, very bad cinema. Scott need to rest. He cannot make new normal films. He need to rest. Who need this **** when i can waste my monies on Arthur film?
antidotcbMay 22, 2017
I had never wrote any review for movies until now.
I think this movie deserve it and other people need to know and prepare before they will watch it or not (hope not!).
So to make long things short I want to make a citation of Albert Einstein
I had never wrote any review for movies until now.
So to make long things short I want to make a citation of Albert Einstein quote:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Both things - universe & human stupidity present in this movie. It's pity the movie is not about the Universe, not about the diversity it provides, or about the possibilities. This movie does answer no question about everything was asked in Prometheus. It just adds one more layer over those questions with the new ones. That's all. In background stupid people do stupid decisions and die stupidly.
I gave it 3 score only for the following:
1. It's in my favorite franchise - I think there is no better horror idea that Alien Xenomorph by Giger. And Alien is present, even not in final form.
2. Android is great, even with all this gay ****
3. Idea about humans&gods&robots&creators/etc.
That's all folks. I hope next movie won't be such a B-movie.
listenerMay 24, 2017
It's very hard for me to give this movie anything higher then 0.Really,I don't think Ridley Scott can sink any lower then this-but then again,I thought that when I saw Hannibal ages ago.Is this the same guy who once directed Alien and BladeIt's very hard for me to give this movie anything higher then 0.Really,I don't think Ridley Scott can sink any lower then this-but then again,I thought that when I saw Hannibal ages ago.Is this the same guy who once directed Alien and Blade Runner?Unbelievable...nothing works in this movie,absolutely nothing-except for some convincing acting from Michael Fassbinder that is.The script is really abomination,it's heartbreaking to see who gets big bucks in Holywood these days to write mindless trash like this.All in all I don't think I'll ever watch another movie directed by RS again,it's been enough,he just don't have it anymore. Expand
papadrew7May 20, 2017
I am basing this review on how this movie fits into the lore of the alien series. This movie does not fit AT ALL with the previous movies. Unfortunately I can't go into spoilers because this a review but just know if you actually think aboutI am basing this review on how this movie fits into the lore of the alien series. This movie does not fit AT ALL with the previous movies. Unfortunately I can't go into spoilers because this a review but just know if you actually think about this movie after seeing it then it will make no sense. Oh and they also made the xenomorph look like a 150 pound scrawny teenager compared to the 250 pound beast of alien/aliens. Expand
stop9091May 21, 2017
A completely unnecessary film (aside for fattening Mr. Scott's bank account).

A completely unnecessary film (aside for fattening Mr. Scott's bank account).

It has a good production value, don't get me wrong, but this film doesn't bring anything on the table. What's worse, several turning points of the movie are typical "DON'T DO THAT, YOU FOOL!!" moments, which are very disappointing.

I give 3 just because even if one wants to spend 2 hours of his time watching a horror/sci-fi, especially this years, there are plenty; facehuggers were cool 40 years ago, today, they're just boring.
THE_COCONUT_MANMay 19, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Much like Prometheus - there simply would not be a film if the main cast showed some intelligence. As soon as the decision was made to land on an unknown, unstudied planet, I lost any investment in the film, as I knew that logic would be thrown out of the window whenever the plot needed advancing, (ironically, Daniels even points out how ridiculous the idea was). A predictable, yet head-scratching installment. Alien has, in my opinion, come to be a very abused and mishandled franchise. I will however admit, that the idea of a crazy robot flying through space conducting horrific experiments on 2000 unsuspecting colonists is a brilliant. Expand
marco34laMay 20, 2017
This movie starts off great. Hits all the right notes in the first 30 mins, then takes a ridiculous turn into boredom and the expected. I saw the ending coming from a mile away.
It's so sad that no one in hollywood can make a movie that is
It's so sad that no one in hollywood can make a movie that is consistent and good from start to finish.
LycosGBMay 22, 2017
Alien: Covenant is not very entertaining and basically a lower quality reboot of Prometheus. Prometheus had higher production value, better actors and characters.
jbonzMay 22, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First I will say that "I loved Prometheus". If you didn't, than my review will do you no service.

Now I loved Alien and Aliens as well. All other titles tied to the Alien franchise have been ok, but not great. With Prometheus, I enjoyed Scott's effort to take the story in a new direction, tackling bigger questions about the creation of humanity, why our gods left us, and ultimately discovering that they in fact wanted to destroy us...their own creation. The hero, Dr. Shaw, spearheaded the spirit of the movie, angry at the Engineers at the end and yelling "why do you hate us?" Leaving us with a huge cliffhanger, Shaw and David are able to fly the Engineer's ship with a set course to their home-world. WOW! Now that's exciting! I watched this movie 4 times. I tried to imagine what the first encounter would be like. I was excited to learn if they would be instantly hostile, or would they attempt to communicate. What answers could they extract from our creators? Even though David wasn't completely trustworthy, I was interested to see how Dr. Elizabeth Shaw and David would get along, as she patched him up and showed mercy...essentially she saved him, and together they were going to unlock humanities' biggest secrets.

BUT NOPE!!! I was forced to try and forget about ALL of that. Even though I knew Covenant was going to be focused on a whole new crew, I was encouraged by the YouTube promos as we saw David and Dr. Shaw together, conversing, as he safely wakes her from her long journey. I now realize that was solely an attempt to grab my attention and wallet day one before I found out that it was all misleading. The promos even used James Franco to draw, which convinced my wife to join me to watch the movie, and both our jaws dropped as he gets fried in his stasis pod before ever speaking a single word.

Instead of taking me to a destination Prometheus seemed to promise we were headed, I landed in a place all too familiar. Another mostly generic Alien horror movie. The plot is, crew follows signal to unknown planet, gets killed by Aliens except a few lucky people escape. And because it's an Alien move, you can already guess that one will be a kick-ass female.

So here is the thing, let's forget Prometheus ever happened, because it is now MOSTLY unimportant and only serves as a reason for the paranoid android to end up on this planet. FINE, I'm over it. Just give me a good Alien movie and I'll be happy enough.

NOPE! Denied again! The unbelievable amount of predictability in the movie, compounded by the absolutely stunning stupidity of the crew and their decisions, depriving the film of any connection to realism ruins the science fiction. There are too many problems to list, but I will mention a few of my favorites that caused me to groan and roll my eyes:

1) Perform no eval of the planet. Just drop a ship and lets see what happens. And leave some teammates alone along the way to "set-up shop" even though they were essentially a scouting team sent to investigate a signal. No problem there.

2) A contamination suit on an Alien planet? NAH! Who needs that? Even breathable air was not examined in the movie prior to them jumping off the ship with now helmets. When that happened, I had to tell myself "ok, perhaps they just want us to assume that they tested the air quality of course...why film a scene to prove it?" How about being cautious of airborne contaminants, just to be on the safe side?

3) Two exact replica androids (one evil, one not) get in a fight, one comes back alive with the same clothing and missing hand as the good one...but MAYBE you still may want to do a little questioning since it's a super-intelligent android that doesn't feel pain? Oh, that's right, the bad-ass female hero thought of that as soon as she gets locked into her stasis chamber right at the end. Damn...I could see you were a little suspicious...bad timing on your part girlfriend!

4) The "red-shirts" were all WAY too obvious. To the point that they may as well have been wearing red shirts (if you don't get reference...basically, people who will obviously die). So many pointless characters who received ZERO character building. There was no weight to any of their deaths.

I could go on. David's logic for performing his atrocities were so far fetched and illogical. The Engineers who one would assume are light years more advanced just watched as their ship returned and dropped their own super weapon on top of their heads. Hr Giger's art design that helped establish the Alien franchise is pretty much nowhere to be seen.

This movie was a spit in the face to Prometheus and a lousy attempt to cash in on the Alien formula. I was told, apparently, that Ridley Scott changed his vision after people **** about Prometheus not having enough brainless blood and gore, and couldn't grasp the bigger questions and appeal in that movie. If that's true, than shame on the haters and shame on Ridley for listening to them. RENT THIS