Buena Vista Pictures | Release Date: November 22, 1991
8.7
Universal acclaim based on 195 Ratings
Watch Now
buzzsparkApr 15, 2018
Kind of overrated in my opinion--not great, but exceptionally good. Still a classic.
DirigiblePulpApr 22, 2017
I forgot how flimsy the plot of this is. Very little that happens in this adds up or makes sense when you stop to think about it. And the romance between beauty and the beast is thinly drawn and problematic. You are supposed to just accept itI forgot how flimsy the plot of this is. Very little that happens in this adds up or makes sense when you stop to think about it. And the romance between beauty and the beast is thinly drawn and problematic. You are supposed to just accept it when the movie says so.

The songs and score are iconic for good reason; there's more soul and feeling in the lyrics and music than there is anywhere else (it is a musical after all). It all works, the animation is stellar, though personally this is a good not great film and its Best Picture nomination in hindsight is more than a little perplexing.
ThisIsSparta666Dec 11, 2016
Splendidly crafted as it is, the new Disney is a luscious impasto of visual invention that never quite finds its heart Meta Score: 75/100 Stars: 3/4 User Score: 7/10
Creepers200Jan 13, 2017
Beauty and the Beast is certainly adequate holiday entertainment for children and their more indulgent parents... But the film has little of the technical facility, vivid characterization and emotional impact of Disney past.
UncleWillardMar 12, 2019
I'm not a Disney kid, but I do like a lot of their animated movies. The ones I don't like are usually the ones with too many songs in them, or some overt message. This is one of those. It's not for me, but that doesn't always stop me fromI'm not a Disney kid, but I do like a lot of their animated movies. The ones I don't like are usually the ones with too many songs in them, or some overt message. This is one of those. It's not for me, but that doesn't always stop me from enjoying a good animated movie. This is not the case here. What normally makes a good Disney flick is overdone here for me. It's one of the points at which Disney films started becoming tedious if you aren't a kid, and specifically a girl. Expand
spongeswiftMar 23, 2017
Beauty and the Beast is hands down one of Disney's greatest movies. It goes out of the way to feel magical which is something Disney is great at. And falling in love with the characters was easy I personally loved Ms. Potts and Chip. OverallBeauty and the Beast is hands down one of Disney's greatest movies. It goes out of the way to feel magical which is something Disney is great at. And falling in love with the characters was easy I personally loved Ms. Potts and Chip. Overall almost everyone can fall in love with Beauty and the Beast even if you aren't a fan of Disney. Expand
LinttaFlamingoFeb 23, 2017
It has an easy to keep up with plot, and also nice characters. I enjoyed the French vibe in the characters, and the songs were cool too. I would've enjoyed a bit more backstory for the side characters in the castle, but overall Beauty and theIt has an easy to keep up with plot, and also nice characters. I enjoyed the French vibe in the characters, and the songs were cool too. I would've enjoyed a bit more backstory for the side characters in the castle, but overall Beauty and the Beast is an enjoyable well animated movie for all ages. Expand
MrMovieBuffDec 19, 2016
To keep it short, Disney's 'Beauty and the Beast' is my favorite Disney animated movie ever. Everything about this movie is what you look for in a fine Disney animated movie. The animation is rich and stunning, the characters are so differentTo keep it short, Disney's 'Beauty and the Beast' is my favorite Disney animated movie ever. Everything about this movie is what you look for in a fine Disney animated movie. The animation is rich and stunning, the characters are so different and unique in their own way, and the songs are just wonderful... there is almost everything to love about this movie, it's hard not to be charmed by it. The movie starts off where we hear about a royal young prince who turns away an old and disfigured woman offering him a rose. He is repulsed by her appearance and she informs him that looks are not everything, but he chooses not to listen to her. Once her appearance changes into a beautiful young woman, he tried to apologize for his shallow behavior, but she saw that there was no good in him at all, and therefore transformed him into a hideous beast and all who lived in his castle were to be transformed into inanimate objects. The rose was magical, each time, a petal would fall which would count down his fate. He must find someone to fall in love with him as well as for him to fall in love before the final petal falls. If not, then he will remain a beast for all eternity, and the same goes for those who have become inanimate objects. We are then introduced to Belle (voiced by Paige O'Hara) who lives peacefully with her father Maurice (Rex Everhart) in a small village in France. Belle seems to stand out against the people in her village as she is the only girl who looks "beautiful" (apparently, "Belle" means "Beauty"), and everyone seems to think that she is odd. Belle loves literature, and always loves to dive into a book, that is, until she comes across an arrogant and vain man named Gaston (Richard White) and his sidekick, LeFou (Jesse Corti). Gaston plans to marry Belle, despite not having much respect for her well-being or privacy. One day, when Maurice travels to sell his invention, he comes across a gigantic castle where he meets a candle Maitre D named Lumiere (Jerry Orbach) and a clock Household staff Cogsworth (David Ogden Stiers). He also meets a teapot Cook named Mrs Potts (Angela Lansbury) who all welcome him in open arms. That is, until he comes across the hideous Beast (Robby Benson) who imprisons him for trespassing, when Belle finds out, she hurries along to save her father in sacrifice of her own freedom. The gang of objects sees this as an opportunity for the curse to be broken, and they try their best to teach the beast to be warm-hearted, kind and gentle to Belle, so she could fall in love with him and break the curse as soon as possible. This movie is as good as any Disney movie, ever... it's a worthy follow-up to 'The Little Mermaid' (1989) and perfectly matches the inspiration that Walt Disney himself influenced when he decided to adapt fairy-tales into animated musicals. The best songs here include; "Be our Guest", "Gaston", and of course, the enchanting and sweeping "Beauty and the Beast" sung perfectly by the soothing voice of Angela Lansbury. The kind of song that lets your imagination run wild and the sequence with the ballroom is magnificently animated, the texture, the color combination of gold and midnight blue and the sweeping shots of Belle and the Beast dancing to the tune... it's Disney perfection!

I could go on and on as to why this is my favorite Disney animated movie... but if you haven't seen the movie... watch it! You'll love the characters, you'll love the story and the songs. What's not to like?
Termin8terNov 5, 2018
This film is a must-see. The story, songs, plot, animation, and soundtrack are all solid here. This film is so strong that it is definitely one of Disney's best films of all time, and one of my favourite animated films, even though I findThis film is a must-see. The story, songs, plot, animation, and soundtrack are all solid here. This film is so strong that it is definitely one of Disney's best films of all time, and one of my favourite animated films, even though I find this film a little dull. Expand
TiberScientistNov 23, 2016
The voluptuousness of visual detail offers proof, if any more were needed after The Little Mermaid, that the Disney studio has relocated the pure magic of the Pinocchio-Dumbo years.
LostInSimpsonsNov 23, 2016
Beauty and the Beast is so funny, exciting and suspenseful that its obvious moral (appearance can mean nothing; it's what's inside that counts) is engaging rather than perfunctory.
TiberCromwell50Nov 23, 2016
The beautiful title song, performed poignantly by the richly textured voice of Angela Lansbury, makes the case for all lovers to look past their partners' faults and into their hearts.
KrabsAbsNov 23, 2016
Wised-up as well as traditional, with a striking and detailed look and a strong storyline, it is sure to charm a wide audience both now and for a long time to come.
LostVisitorNov 24, 2016
Beauty and the Beast reaches back to an older and healthier Hollywood tradition in which the best writers, musicians and filmmakers are gathered for a project on the assumption that a family audience deserves great entertainment, too.
Tiber590Nov 26, 2016
With Beauty and the Beast, a tender, seamless and even more ambitious film than its predecessor, Disney has done something no one has done before: combine the latest computer animation techniques with the best of Broadway.
Pama300Dec 11, 2016
TropicalReviewsMar 20, 2017
Such a magical extraordinary movie! It's storyline and music is amazing! No remake or sequel will be better than this amazing movie! It is also animated very well! It's music is breathtaking! This movie gives me chills every time I watch it!Such a magical extraordinary movie! It's storyline and music is amazing! No remake or sequel will be better than this amazing movie! It is also animated very well! It's music is breathtaking! This movie gives me chills every time I watch it! I love this timeless movie! Expand
ViniciusBritoJul 11, 2018
This Beauty and the Beast movie is one of the biggest Disney classics ever. Directed by Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise. A story that it is originally from 1740. A prince that is a very greedy, finicky and a selfish man, lives in a big castleThis Beauty and the Beast movie is one of the biggest Disney classics ever. Directed by Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise. A story that it is originally from 1740. A prince that is a very greedy, finicky and a selfish man, lives in a big castle with a lot of people that works for him. In one very day a old beggar asked for help in one situation, but the prince disgusted by the poor appearance of the beggar, he exempted her and told her to leave, what he didn't counted was that she was a enchantress, as punishment she turned him into a beast and also turned every member of the castle in different objects. The spell could only be undone if he truly fall in love with someone and that one also truly love him. Belle, a woman that lives in a village, in some moment her way got into that prince and that's where the magic happens.
The movie is a masterpiece since the very first moment, introducing the movie with a prologue told in a way that it is pretty much like someone is reading a book, a fairy tail to you, and showing like pages with stained glass to introduce the story, it was beautiful. Just after that the movie introduces to us the main plot, they introduce the character of Belle in one of the most beautiful introductions that i have ever seen in my life, i believe that they were very happy in introducing the character with a song, a song that not just tell us how the character think, how is her life and how is the village that she lives in, but also it is a great music. At the end of the music they just introduce another character in a very good way, that make us understand, as well, the character and how he is. The movie doesn't go in that classic way, that the pretty girl mary with the hero war and marry the most beautiful guy, it is different from those stories, the character doesn't want to follow this life, it breaks that love at first sight thing, Belle also is corageous and impetuous in the best sense as possible.
The environment in this movie is another great aspect, not just in the village, showing france costumes back in the day, but also at the castle, the Mise en scène is very complete, the scenario is very fulled with objects and actions that make the place really to be alive.
The Dubbing were really good, Paige O'Hara did a remarkable job, her voice is subtle and also can be fear and curiosity, she can pass all of it with belle in certain moments, without mentioning the singing parts. Raymond Benson as the beast had another great job, his character in a lot of moments had to try to be threatening, but at the same time afraid and trying to be better, it is very good. Richard White as Gaston did a nice job as well, he can pass the idea of a guy that thinks that he is always right and is the best person in the world, self convinced that he is the big boss. Jerry Orbach, David Ogden and Angela Lansbury that respectively do Lumière, Cogsworth and Sra. Potts are all great supporters, they have a really nice french accent wich give a tone to them and for contextualize the time and place, and also sing really well.
Pretty much all the musics of this movie are outstanding, like really, all of them are remarkable and memorable in so many ways. The melody is gorgeous. It does have a lyrical aspect, it is poetic, with all the rimes and the differential rhythm, with the music paused as like they were really verses like a poem. The songs in some moments mean to explain at the most fun way as possible some aspect of the movie, tell about the character, in some moments to just relax after a worrisome moment, or to consecrate a moment in the most beautiful way as possible. The singing and lycris are phenomenal in this animation. Wich were made by Alan Menken.
Another really strong aspect of the movie is the develop/journey of the beast, how he started as a monster that didn't knew how to treat and how to live with other people, how belle was able to change him and how this movie can be a teach of how to treat a woman, how to be kind, how to be polite, and how love really looks like. Every moment that they interact and just get better with eachother, you can just feel them, the emotion of those scenes.
The animation is pretty good, the 2d animations does have something special, it is like something else that i can't name it, i truly love it.
The movie have a clear message about beauty, that it isn't just about the appearence outside, it is really more deep then just that, love goes far beyond then how someone looks like, it is really how you treat the other and definely have nothing to do with how someone looks like. About Belle, even that her name means beauty and she is gorgeous, she show us that her best quality isn't that, she have content, she is smart, like to create, really "odd" for that time. Not to judge just for appearence, but also not judge because of belief, races, even taking away from romance, looking in a friendship and acception.
GorbaxDec 2, 2017
So much better than the lazy remake, this film has a strong narrative, great voice acting, great songs, great visuals, and a strong legacy. a classic from the golden age of Disney.
Miles_SDec 3, 2017
sonicnightsOct 28, 2018
This film is a cultural masterpiece, setting my tone for drama and romance, with a great soundtrack. 10/10
FilipeNetoJun 26, 2018
This film was part of my childhood and, contrary to others, continued to be part of my adult life because it is virtually the best animated film I've ever seen. It adapts a French classic story but we can even say that it has surpassed it. ItThis film was part of my childhood and, contrary to others, continued to be part of my adult life because it is virtually the best animated film I've ever seen. It adapts a French classic story but we can even say that it has surpassed it. It is a simple but very beautiful story, in which a prince was cursed by his errors and arrogance, living in an isolated castle, condemned to look like a monster until a woman truly loves him with all his faults. The center of the plot is true love and inner beauty vs. exterior ugliness. Considered among the most beautiful love stories, it also addresses redemption and forgiveness, the notion that we can mend our mistakes and be better people. Visually beautiful, its a show of light and color from beginning to the end, punctuated abundantly by songs that became famous, such as "Be Our Guest" or "Beauty and the Beast". The work of voice actors is simply at the level of the best I've heard. Since it debuted, this film continues without a worthy rival, even among the modern animated films, full of digital resources. Expand
Pikachu1998Feb 23, 2018
THIS IS AMONGST ONE OF MY MOST FAVORITE MOVIES I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!! THIS ONE WAS ALWAYS ONE DISNEY MOVIE TO BEGIN WITH. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS TO PEOPLE YOUNG AND OLD. I JUST LOVE IT!! Grade: 9.3/10. A.
marcmyworksJun 3, 2019
A beautiful film with a touching message about inner beauty. Though critics now like to joke that Belle has stockholm syndrome, this film is transcendent in its music and animation.
timoneApr 30, 2019
Ahh yes, the nostalgia and atmosphere out of this beautiful fantastic animated feature. Me, Jacob and Liam really enjoyed quoting dialogue and songs from this fantastic classic, Beauty and the Beast. Oh, how beautiful it is, how wonderful theAhh yes, the nostalgia and atmosphere out of this beautiful fantastic animated feature. Me, Jacob and Liam really enjoyed quoting dialogue and songs from this fantastic classic, Beauty and the Beast. Oh, how beautiful it is, how wonderful the adventure is and how amazing the animation is. It's speechless how great this film was and it still is. Why? Because this is the first Disney animated feature to be nominated for Best Picture. I've watched from years ago and says so itself. Remember when I said in The Silence of the Lambs Beauty and the Beast is nominated for Best Picture but lost to The Silence of the Lambs. The actors and actresses won and nominated for Best Actor and Best Actress but I forgot to mention the directors for Best Director. That's Oscars worthy. When I think of Best Pictures I can rate them a 9/10 and 10/10 because THAT'S a promise to the people of all country. If they rate them a 8/10 or whatever that's fine. Much like Best Picture though I have looked upon IMDB's Top 250 films of all time but I think it haven't rated it anymore but hey I just rate them 9 and 10/10, you guys just rated them whatever you want, your opinions. Now I will talk the characters, the animation, the story and the visuals. By god! The visuals are amazing! The ballroom scene is just beyond fantastic and beautiful! People who watch this scene will heartwarmed and chilled when Mrs Potts singing Beauty and the Beast tagline ''Tale as old as Time''. The songs are catchy and wonderful. My friends Liam Fleming and Jacob Dimmock and I were singing those songs. These Belle the town song, Gaston which is my favorite, Be Our Guest, Beauty and the Beast aka Tale as old as Time and the catchiest song ever the mob song Kill the Beast. The theme song Beauty and the Beast sung by Peabo Bryson and Celine Dion it's so beautiful and so wonderful. It's just BEYOND! When I was a kid I listen to it a million times and never gets old. I talk about the others when I review this.The characters are so memorable and never forgettable, Belle is wonderful and independent, Beast is an horrifying beast who is human who had no love in his heart and the enchantress turned him into a beast, Gaston is a villain who wants Belle to be his wife, Lefou is Gaston's sidekick. Actually just looking at these two certainly looks like us. I look like Gaston with the muscles and personality and Jacob looks like Lefou cause he's a little short but yeah, Gaston and Lefou are one of my favorite characters. The side characters for example Lumiere, Cogsworth, Mrs Potts and Chip are funny too. I think again me and Jacob look like these two as well. I look like Lumiere and Jacob looks like Cogsworth because of his personality. And last but not least Maurice Belle's father. People always make fun of him because he's crazy because he saw the beast. That's why he's crazy just like Gaston and Lefou says but Belle thinks he's not crazy so people laugh at him and send him to the asylum. There's a scene where Maurice and his horse on the trip to the fair but got lost in the forest but Maurice makes me laugh. Actually when I was a kid the movie scare the hell out of me much like The Jungle Book though and yeah it's a kids film and it's suitable for all ages. When the beast turns back into a human and him and Belle lived happily ever after. People fell in love with the beast because you call him Beast. What's his real name? Do people just keep calling him Beast when he was turned into a human? When I was a kid I don't know his real name. Oh well. The animation is just beautiful and fantastic like I said to the ballroom scene, the animation is amazing. The animators use the animation called Traditional animation. That's means hand drawn animation and computer animation. Mix together to make the animation look amazing. Now I know what you're thinking. Traditional animation is dead. Yeah, I know that because I've watch the Animats reviews. There's a lyricist called Howard Ashman Alan Menken's friend who died years when he worked on the product. There's a disclaimer at the end of the credits saying ''TO OUR FRIEND, HOWARD, WHO GAVE A MERMAID HER VOICE AND A BEAST HIS SOUL, WE WILL BE FOREVER GREATFUL''. Wow! He really is a really good man. Anyways, that's all I can say about it. It has been a pleasure to review this wonderful Disney animated feature filled with lovable characters, beautiful animation, storytelling and directing and producing which really makes the best Disney animated feature to ever be nominated for Best Picture. The voice acting is great, the singing is great. it's just frigging fantastic! No movie collection is complete without Walt Disney Classic Beauty and the Beast. Be Our Guest and enjoy this wonderful and beautiful entertainment with your friends and families. This is one my favorite Disney animated classics of all time. Me and my friends Jacob and Liam are forever grateful.

Walt Disney's classic Beauty and the Beast.
JPKJul 1, 2019
A Classic Masterpiece
Beauty And The Beast is by far one of my favorite Disney movies to date.
manningn15Aug 17, 2018
Beauty and the Beast is my favorite animated movie of all time, my 2nd favorite Disney movie of all time, my 2nd favorite musical of all time, and one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. The movie was gorgeously and phenomenallyBeauty and the Beast is my favorite animated movie of all time, my 2nd favorite Disney movie of all time, my 2nd favorite musical of all time, and one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. The movie was gorgeously and phenomenally animated, I especially loved the animation of the characters the Beast, Mrs. Chip, Lumiere, and Cogsworth. The soundtrack was outstanding, especially the songs Beauty and the Beast, Belle, and Be Our Guest. The soundtrack is one of my top 5 favorite animated movie soundtracks, one of my top 5 favorite Disney soundtracks, one of my top 10 favorite soundtracks of all time, and one of my favorite albums of all time. The musical numbers were terrific especially the Be Our Guest number. The voice over performances from Angela Lansbury, Paige O'Hara, Robby Benson, Jerry Orbach, David Ogden Stiers, Richard White, and Jesse Corti were excellent. The story and writing were both remarkable. Beauty and the Beast is an A++ animated movie and will forever be my very favorite animated movie of all time. Expand
LivingTribunalMay 2, 2019
How can I not like this masterpiece? Disney's best movie and this will be the legend like all the other fairy tales.
sebastianaliAug 3, 2019
Aunque me parece un poco sobrevalorada, parte de su reputación es entendible. Otra película bella de Disney. Un 8 bien merecido.
Whizzy_ElephantFeb 13, 2019
Beauty the Beast works to an extent. Visually the appeal takes time to develop. It's a dark, deary and uninteresting first several minutes, and I wouldn't understand how that would attract children to become immersed. However past that theBeauty the Beast works to an extent. Visually the appeal takes time to develop. It's a dark, deary and uninteresting first several minutes, and I wouldn't understand how that would attract children to become immersed. However past that the film starts to develop a flame, but just as it does we get a super long look as Gaston, and that's all we really learn about him. The pace keeps getting killed. He's a very one sided somewhat misunderstood neutral character that is merely guilty of not having the intelligence to understand what is really happening, and the comedic elements concerning his sidekicks fail terribly. The film tries to force ideas and concepts, but the execution often pulls away from what they are attempting to convey.

However the atmosphere, songs and voice acting are some of the best Disney have to offer. I just think with the entire running time, they could have easily put more umph and actual plot devices into this, especially concerning Gaston.

It's not my type of film, but I can see objectively it doesn't really have anything offensively bad. It's just not a very inventive take on this romance story.
YunusKatMar 25, 2019
This story is just the pinnacle and embodiment of Disney. Nuff said. Watch, love it.
TomtagApr 15, 2019
Thiss is one of the greatest Disney adaptations I have ever seen. So much magic for us to see