IFC Films | Release Date: July 11, 2014
1,871
Watch Now
Buy on
virginiaproudJan 12, 2015
I am convinced that all the critics are giving this bouquets because they are scared not to. I mean, it's Linklater and it's a 12 year project and it's so frightfully "well observed". But did we observe anything interesting, orI am convinced that all the critics are giving this bouquets because they are scared not to. I mean, it's Linklater and it's a 12 year project and it's so frightfully "well observed". But did we observe anything interesting, or insightful...really? Come on, really? The early promise that we'd see the boy grow through the emotional impact of divorce and domestic violence and being slightly unconventional, but it never eventuates and ultimately it all just leads to your common or garden teen's self indulgent prattling. There were some terribly clever things going on, especially the editing of the time jumps, and I was always curious to see how the actors had aged, including the next hairstyle choice.
On the positive Linklater didn't take us down conventional routes, there was no 'coming of age sex scene" for example, or any 'teen makes bad judgement call and gets into trouble' scene. But neither has he built any significant conflict. I wouldn't call this film an utter waste of my time, but I've no idea what people are raving about.
passion4pastaJul 28, 2014
The movie is complete and utter waste of time. I truly feel sorry for the actors that dedicated 12 years of their life filming such a **** and boring movie. However, they should also be commemorated because this movie may be the cure toThe movie is complete and utter waste of time. I truly feel sorry for the actors that dedicated 12 years of their life filming such a **** and boring movie. However, they should also be commemorated because this movie may be the cure to insomnia,its that slow. Some may argue that slow and steady wins the race,and the only way that could be true for this movie was competing for the **** movie of all time. The fact that 'boyhood' has such good reviews blows my mind, but i figured out why this is so. Reviewers feel so terrible that this **** movie took 12 whole years to make they all decided to throw a pity party and hand out 10's.n Expand
silversun101Aug 8, 2014
3 hours of inept, masturbatory navel-gazing. A one-trick-pony of a movie so intent on patting its own back over how much critics will be baited into loving its "bold experimentation" that it forgot to be a film ABOUT anything. I never3 hours of inept, masturbatory navel-gazing. A one-trick-pony of a movie so intent on patting its own back over how much critics will be baited into loving its "bold experimentation" that it forgot to be a film ABOUT anything. I never imagined something that took so much time and energy to make could appear so lazy and ill-conceived on screen.

Ignore the undeserved praise. Just because it took 12 years to make doesn't mean it's any good. Don't encourage these people and give this a pass.
leetsoFeb 8, 2015
Dull disjointed disparate nonsense that has none of the revelatory joy of a film like stand by me.it's overrated tripe that is memorable only for the method of its making. Aside of the domestic at dinner scene which is genuinely horrifyingDull disjointed disparate nonsense that has none of the revelatory joy of a film like stand by me.it's overrated tripe that is memorable only for the method of its making. Aside of the domestic at dinner scene which is genuinely horrifying it's turgid lack lustre and banal . I remember watching the movie les 40 years ago and being terrified and stunned . Even Clint eastwards American sniper ( also overrated) left me in stunned silence at the end and left me thinking about it for days . Boyhood left me thinking I must be dum to have not appreciated this ghastly waste of celluloid. Expand
Mancunian2014Jul 13, 2014
You know what my favourite part of this film was besides some nice shots of Austin, a place I've visited? The beginning of the ending credits!

Am I the only to have seen this film as overlong and full of repeated after school special scenarios? Two hours and forty-five minutes of shallow small talk mixed with one-liners one would likelier hear out of a pothead's mouth amounts to a combination of sitting in an Elizabethan torture chamber while watching the "Wonder Years". Except the Wonder Years had more creative plot lines.

Am I the only one to think how emotionally balanced and level-head those kids were despite having a father who's insufferably loquacious and a mother who's just a plain miserable cow less than apologetically putting her children second? I like Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke. I do not think they make the best sympathetic parents.

Am I the only one to see the young Mason's lack of backbone and failure to stand up to the horrible adult role models his impressionable life? I'd like to think that a lot of kids would rebel, rather virulently and understandably I should add, at basically being brow-beaten and spiritually abused to death. It's just not real.

No to Boyhood. No to all the adulation the movie has undeservedly received.
alwayswatchingAug 25, 2014
Boyhood is a movie shot with the same cast over 12 years. As the main character grows from a kid in elementary school into a young adult, he understands himself and the world around him and gains more control over it. While the idea of growthBoyhood is a movie shot with the same cast over 12 years. As the main character grows from a kid in elementary school into a young adult, he understands himself and the world around him and gains more control over it. While the idea of growth is a fascinating subject, this movie fails to build an engaging story around it.

In Boyhood, milestone moments in life are overshadowed by mundane events. High school graduation is overshadowed by a talk with a friend after graduation ceremony. Marriages and divorces are overshadowed by talks over dinner table. The movies seems to be very valuable for the director, Richard Linklater, and the cast who helped with the script and the mundane moments that are overemphasized seem to have personal connections with the cast. If you similar connections with similar moments in life, you will love the movie, otherwise there is not much to love in Boyhood.
Tyray23CenaSuckJul 14, 2014
I am absolutely shocked by all of the great reviews. Maybe my expectations were too high but I mean the critics loved it and praised it like it was the best movie of all time, when it really is a waste of time.
goodcriticSep 7, 2017
The worst movie I've ever seen. Complete B.S and completely unrelatable to the childhood of any boy. Messed up storyline, vague characters popping up at random points render this movie a very boring watch. The characters are very inconsistentThe worst movie I've ever seen. Complete B.S and completely unrelatable to the childhood of any boy. Messed up storyline, vague characters popping up at random points render this movie a very boring watch. The characters are very inconsistent (except Ethan Hawke) and the movie generally portrays a very bad image of American family values. Thus, the movie should've been named "Mason's f**ked up boyhood (Boo Fri**in hoo)". And I'm not even gonna bother writing about the ending scene. Expand
Accrue4Nov 1, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 1,869 fake reviews from reviewers on metacritic. Boyhood is 100% insipid and it is easily one of the worst movies. This movie is an hour too long, and it is impossible to sit through, grade F for feeble and failure. Expand
ZzgashiMar 15, 2015
As ambitious as it is boring. There is no central conflict in the story, or even a reason to care. Just 165 minutes of an annoying child, and then it ends.
InstrumentalFeb 21, 2015
This film follows the life of a boy from age six to his entry into college at 18. The movie is filmed such that the main character is filmed at age six and is continuously filmed over a 12 year span until he is 18. A seemingly endearingThis film follows the life of a boy from age six to his entry into college at 18. The movie is filmed such that the main character is filmed at age six and is continuously filmed over a 12 year span until he is 18. A seemingly endearing concept however is ruined by the fact that him and his family are entirely unremarkable and they do absolutely nothing remarkable throughout the film. There is no engaging story arc, difficulty to overcome or goal to achieve. For anyone who has lived a life of their own, this film has nothing to offer, no insights or revelations and certainly no entertainment. Certainly there is a reason why films aren't normally made about normal people living normal lives, it's because we live those everyday and don't need a theater or disc to see it. The acting is poor as well. Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette do a fantastic job, but the acting roles especially from the children are inconsistent and forced. Much of the dialogue is awkward and out of touch with how youth used to talk as well. With one liner 90s clichés scattered throughout. It's a subtly racist film as well. Despite being set in Texas, the one and only Hispanic character is first seen doing manual labor. This movie does have one notable aspect: Because this movie is nearly three hours and nothing notable happens at any point, it begins to drag unrelentingly about an hour and a half in. This movie is however fascinating in one aspect: A movie can be made about unremarkable white people doing absolutely nothing remarkable for nearly three hours and still receive near unanimous praise, critical success and an Academy Award nomination. Bravo white people, even the most unexceptional of you are truly are amazing. Expand
Jotto999May 17, 2015
Good idea, bad execution. I liked seeing the actors age and go through their various misfortunes and excitements, or at least the idea of it. But the movie was frankly too long. It makes us sit through unpleasant or awkward scenes, andGood idea, bad execution. I liked seeing the actors age and go through their various misfortunes and excitements, or at least the idea of it. But the movie was frankly too long. It makes us sit through unpleasant or awkward scenes, and then does nothing to reward us, often switching to uninteresting small-talk, such that my brain began to feel like mush after a while. Even though real life is typically that way for many, that doesn't make it good film material. The milestones and aspects of the boy's life should have been hit more concisely. I would love for something like this to be done again, but better. Expand
khaleesiJan 25, 2015
Man, I am a huge fan of indie films and maybe it is because I went into seeing this movie with high expectations that I was so disappointed. I get that it was filmed with the same cast over 12 years but there was no story-no suspense- no plotMan, I am a huge fan of indie films and maybe it is because I went into seeing this movie with high expectations that I was so disappointed. I get that it was filmed with the same cast over 12 years but there was no story-no suspense- no plot whatsoever. It was literally watching excerpts of a totally normal kids life as he grows up- total waste of my time. Not entertainment-maybe art. Nothing happens in this movie. In summary it is a pointless movie about how pointless life is. Expand
MeseamerFeb 26, 2015
I watched boyhood and oh my... well, I don't know if I should share but the film makes you feel as though you SHOULD think it's a classic because you are watching these people age and develop, but in reality they definitely do age but developI watched boyhood and oh my... well, I don't know if I should share but the film makes you feel as though you SHOULD think it's a classic because you are watching these people age and develop, but in reality they definitely do age but develop very little. It's as disjointed a film as you would expect from the way it was filmed over such a long period, it doesn't struggle to be coherent because there's absolutely no challenge in that respect for it to do so. There's nothing artful about the way the film is put together, it's a sequence of moments, which makes sense if you think about the last scene, a scene which tries to make this profound link, like a series of moments with nothing really changing but it feels flat, and again maybe that is the point, that it should feel flat and banal because that's more realistic but the film also tries to be something else by having several linking scenes with sombre indie songs playing in the background, the songs are so tacked on and don't reflect the mood well at all. Whether it's his character or just bad acting, Mason is underwhelming, and so is his sister through most of the film, funnily enough they both seem to act better as young kids, but as they grow the cracks start to show in the performances, I get they have been directed to act as naturally and realistically as possible but it comes across as just awkward bad acting in some scenes, which should have been cut or edited better, the editing was the worst thing about the film, far too many pointless cuts and lingering shots that do nothing, one sweeping shot is so bad it sticks out like a sore thumb. The editing was poor in terms of the sequence of moments as well, it was a basic timeline, but it was put together with no flair. In my opinion the best thing about the film was Patricia Arquette and her character, she was a very realistic mother, and the nuance to her performance reminded me of my own mom, I thought her performance was the best in the film, Ethan Hawke was good as well, and he absolutely carries the scenes with the kids. I don't think it should be viewed as groundbreaking just because ageing happens to the characters, it should be judged as just another film, I was ready to enjoy this film, and I found it relatively enjoyable, and it wasn't that the pacing was too slow, just that it felt monotonous, the film gets better, it has peaks and troughs. Maybe i'm missing the profundity of the understated realism that is the films essence, but it would feel more profound for me if i looked through some of my own family photographs and reminisced, the sentiment was lost on me, I didn't feel it but maybe that's because i have a cold stone for a heart Expand
psyberdelicMar 4, 2015
Imagine you have next door neighbors, who are nice, but want to show you their slide show and home movies of the last fifteen years of their life... If you would enjoy that you might enjoy Boyhood... I just jumped scene to scene to see whatImagine you have next door neighbors, who are nice, but want to show you their slide show and home movies of the last fifteen years of their life... If you would enjoy that you might enjoy Boyhood... I just jumped scene to scene to see what all the hype was about... Just OK... It's not much more than a gimmick... Expand
PiscasoOct 8, 2015
So this is one of the most boring movies ever made. No, I did not dislike it because it was long. I don't mind long movies. First, the cinematography is fine, the dad and the mom were great but that's pretty much it. The boy is the mostSo this is one of the most boring movies ever made. No, I did not dislike it because it was long. I don't mind long movies. First, the cinematography is fine, the dad and the mom were great but that's pretty much it. The boy is the most unlikable character I've ever seen a movie be completely about, that wasn't trying to make the character unlikable. The early parts were fine, it had a sense of slow progression but looking back a mere 45 minutes you realize so much had happened since then.

If anything, the idea behind the film is the best part: watching a boy grow up before our eyes. This is done well. But when the boy is a jaded **** for the majority of the movie (once he becomes a teenager) it's just bad. No matter how much work the crew did, or Richard Linklater, if the movie sucks then it **** sucks.

I'm assuming people like this movie because of the obscenely high scores it gets and sort of a lemming effect, but I encourage you to look at the movie critically and objectively.

I saw some people giving it a 10/10 because it had no melodrama, which is okay in some cases, but I would rather that this movie have a bunch of melodrama than the multiple flat scenes with awful writing. I think he was trying to be hip in a few scenes but it just fell flat. The movie has a clear aesthetic and tone, and it's pretty clear what he was trying to do. And I applaud the work he put into it. 12 years is a long time to work on a project. But that doesn't change the fact the kid is annoying, nothing interesting ever happens (even though multiple times it seems like it's going to).

Another thing I find wrong with it is the fact that it's 3 hours long. Again, nothing wrong with 3 hour movies, in fact I enjoy them more because they usually have a longer and usually more wholesome story (which Boyhood had admittedly). But there were so many points that it could have ended on. There were multiple scenes where I actually thought "and this is the end I guess, wow that was a great ending" and then another scene starts. The actual ending itself was actually pretty bad too. They did LSD in a valley or something and then it cuts to black. The car ride to college was a much better place to end. Speaking of which, there were a lot of other things that seemed like they would lead to more interesting things but never did. I won't go into detail in case you still want to slog through it 15 months later.

My final beef is that every side character that gets only one scene, or is only in it for a short time is intentionally unlikable, but in a manipulative sort of way. The drunk abusing father, the unencouraging teacher, the "cool" older kids that peer pressure, etc. Richard created these two dimensional characters to create the illusion of adversity. To make a sense of drama or progression. That he proved them wrong or something. But as I watched it I felt like he was just throwing cliches at me to try and get me to care. There were other side characters that weren't like that though. Imagine how everyone in a restaurant sees you as an extra in the story of their life. But they were also just two or one dimensional, and rarely got any development.

The family (mother, father, kid and sister) were really the only ones with development. The sister was trash, and only there in the end because she had to be, and was probably just the lesser of the awfulness that is child actors at the beginning who auditioned. The kid was as I said before unlikable and annoying. But the parents actually had some depth and the actors did an incredible job with their material.

I will end on a quote that I think sums up this movie perfectly:

"This is the most true to life movie that's ever been made when you think about it. When you get to the end you just want to die."
-Jay from Half in the Bag
AijixeSep 27, 2015
Patricia Arquette is simply fantastic in a film where the child actor becomes the true embodiment of white, teenage male stereotype. Also, his acting gets worse and worse as he ages. How is this actually possible?
everettJan 30, 2015
Besides editing, what this movie needed was good writing. It seems a shame, after having such a truly original concept, and a cast willing to come back year after year, that the filmmaker couldn't have come up with a well-told, cracklingBesides editing, what this movie needed was good writing. It seems a shame, after having such a truly original concept, and a cast willing to come back year after year, that the filmmaker couldn't have come up with a well-told, crackling story and unique characters. What could have been great was, instead, an overlong gimmick played out with stereotypes. Like others here, I wish it had been a documentary rather than this. Left alone, life writes better stories. Expand
thebreenJan 23, 2015
the rave reviews are worthless - this concept was fine but the 'acting' left a lot to be desired - i expect the attempt was to emulate real life like a documentary but thru a script - what a complete failure! i am sorry to say that i wastedthe rave reviews are worthless - this concept was fine but the 'acting' left a lot to be desired - i expect the attempt was to emulate real life like a documentary but thru a script - what a complete failure! i am sorry to say that i wasted nearly 3 hours of my life watching - please learn from my mistake at believing in the professional movie critics. Expand
mr_gman35Jan 25, 2015
This movie has no storyline and no real point. It follows a malnourished poorly cared for low ambition boy as he shuffles along from age 6 to 18 where he officially becomes a young man. I wonder with such a poor mother how he survives.This movie has no storyline and no real point. It follows a malnourished poorly cared for low ambition boy as he shuffles along from age 6 to 18 where he officially becomes a young man. I wonder with such a poor mother how he survives. Spoiler alert, the mom ends up divorced three times and cared more about her schooling and job than either of her kids and it shows. It's no wonder she ends up at the end of the movie lacking 2 dimes to rub together alone and in an apartment in her fifties. I was waiting for over 2 hours for the movie to get to a point and it never did. Waste of 2 and one half hours of my life. The only upside was the music which was good if you liked top 40 songs from 2002 to 2013. Expand
GbubrickJan 25, 2015
God help us, this was boring. Saw it on TV. If I'd paid theater prices, I'd really be po'd. Two hours of whining about the meaning of life. Just awful.
jgray232Feb 3, 2015
This is a great idea for a movie, very original. Its just not entertaining the kid they picked to play the role has no personality. This is just a long and boring movie that could of changed movie history but they just made it to boring.
VoigtFeb 16, 2015
Good effort. But, bad movie the plot didn´t go nowhere. The girl was simply the worst young actress i have seen since Sophia Coppola in The Godfather 3 and surprisingly Patricia Arquette couldn´t cry and made a louzy patetic scene in theGood effort. But, bad movie the plot didn´t go nowhere. The girl was simply the worst young actress i have seen since Sophia Coppola in The Godfather 3 and surprisingly Patricia Arquette couldn´t cry and made a louzy patetic scene in the end that summarized the movie.

#disappointed (read in Kevin Sorbo voice)
kokolittFeb 28, 2015
J’étais très curieuse de voir ce film, le fait de voir les acteurs changer au fils des scenes est super mais par contre il ne se passe pas grand chose... on s'ennuie vite et le film est très long... dommage
Rmiles801Mar 29, 2015
I fell victim to this movie as well seeing as how critics raved at how great this movie was, do not be fooled.. from a cinematic standpoint I could see the argument critics could make due to the unique idea put forth here, but the movie wasI fell victim to this movie as well seeing as how critics raved at how great this movie was, do not be fooled.. from a cinematic standpoint I could see the argument critics could make due to the unique idea put forth here, but the movie was awful.. I spent the entire time wanting to shut it off, by an hour in I didn't thinking "It must get better", but it never did.. I wish I could have my 2.5 hours back, this movie was absolutely painful on every level. Expand
muhadApr 3, 2015
absolutely disappointing common no action i know that is what the movie is made up but [100] , [56] that is that is what i think should be the rating common i do not understand the whole idea of the movie boyhood uh, more like( lamehood) toabsolutely disappointing common no action i know that is what the movie is made up but [100] , [56] that is that is what i think should be the rating common i do not understand the whole idea of the movie boyhood uh, more like( lamehood) to me absolutely sucks Expand
ZChongMay 24, 2015
This movie is too long. had the movie ended before the party with Tony and his friends, this movie may get a postive review. If the movie did not have the party with Tony, I may have finished the movie. The one good thing that came out ofThis movie is too long. had the movie ended before the party with Tony and his friends, this movie may get a postive review. If the movie did not have the party with Tony, I may have finished the movie. The one good thing that came out of this movie was Linklater's daughter. But, 165 minutes? The concept is great but the execution is not very good at all. Expand
DJDyspepticMay 18, 2015
I honestly don't understand what all the fuss is about regarding Linklater's films. They all end up seeming like love letters to himself. You don't get any insight into how the mother's second and third mates turn out to be failures as menI honestly don't understand what all the fuss is about regarding Linklater's films. They all end up seeming like love letters to himself. You don't get any insight into how the mother's second and third mates turn out to be failures as men and as husbands -- they're just "bad guys." I guess bad father figures are such a given in movies like this, that as a filmmaker you don't have to lift a finger to make them, what, motivated? "Look -- sensitive young boy. Bad dad. Mom's a jewel, always doing her best but kind of a screw-up herself." Yawn. Expand
moviefanatic15Jul 7, 2015
It is interesting that this film was made over the course of 12 years but it is poorly executed. I know this film is about the life of a boy but it's so boring. Who wants to watch a 2 and a half hour movie about the life of a boy. There's oneIt is interesting that this film was made over the course of 12 years but it is poorly executed. I know this film is about the life of a boy but it's so boring. Who wants to watch a 2 and a half hour movie about the life of a boy. There's one character who is a drunk and I thought he was more interesting than the main character. If you want to watch a more interesting film, watch snowpiercer or whiplash. Expand
ylopeza13Jul 22, 2015
Aparte de lo diferente que puede ser grabar a las mismas personas durante varios años para mostrar su evolución física, no encontré ninguna trama interesante y después de 2 horas de esfuerzo me rendí ante el aburrimiento.
nyonyajohnMay 15, 2020
12 years of production have ultimate boredom in return
Throughoutly unengaging and I could only wish he grew up faster
alitgApr 27, 2016
boyhood is a piece of ****
there is nothing interesting in it
I don't know what is the reason they praise this!
maybe the fact that they stayed together for so many years made the critics to do that
paradeigmasJul 18, 2016
This movie was a huge waste of time. Nothing happens for the entire duration and there is absolutely nothing impressive about the film. I get it, it's supposed to reflect real life, but I'd rather experience my own boring life for threeThis movie was a huge waste of time. Nothing happens for the entire duration and there is absolutely nothing impressive about the film. I get it, it's supposed to reflect real life, but I'd rather experience my own boring life for three hours instead of watching someone else's boring life. Acting was great and on point but I still could not figure out what the point was, as the point of the movie is that there is no point. Expand
AmberRoseOct 3, 2016
I don't understand why this movie has such a high rating. I knew it took time and effort to make but that doesn't necessarily make it good. It was basically just trivial conversations about food, money and other silly things that are theI don't understand why this movie has such a high rating. I knew it took time and effort to make but that doesn't necessarily make it good. It was basically just trivial conversations about food, money and other silly things that are the concerns of another specific family. I mean we might as well record our neighbors' everyday life and consider it a movie.
It's not thrilling. It's not interesting to watch. It doesn't have any moral. It leaves you with nothing, just maybe regret of the time you wasted watching it.
AlcindoromycineJan 20, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. At the end of the 165 minute film, I started to cry. I cried for about 10 minutes at how bad this movie was. I could not believe that I had wasted 2 hours and 45 minutes on a film that has accurately represented American mediocrity. I wasn't just blown away by the mediocrity of the film, I was also blown away by the films portrayal of a mediocre family. Do not mistake the intent of this critique, I wanted to honestly and accurately portray what I felt after watching this film. There are way too many things that were decidedly unprofessional, and mind you, I am taking it lightly on the children's' acting. There was one very interesting dynamic of the film that goes far beyond the screen which merits the only point I have to offer this pathetic film. Let us begin this dreadful evaluation.
There are many things that make this film disgustingly unappealing. The simple fact that it took 12 years to come up with mediocrity just shows lack of creativity. I did not enjoy watching a portrayal of a mediocre mother making extremely idiotic decisions whilst raising two children. Who still marks the doorframe to check up on height? Samantha using a phone during her elementary school years? That seems like bad parenting, just like the majority of this movie. Who pays money for cursing? While I grew up, if my parents heard cursing no matter where we were, someone was going to have it (I was an only child). Now don't get me wrong, my parents were never "abusive". They were aware of how to discipline in a controlled fashion and still manage to create a sense of respect and admiration from me. Next up, collecting rocks? Are you kidding? My parents made sure I never got into dirty habits such as collecting rocks or running around barefoot, or drinking at 15, or even having a cell phone. My parents never went on vacations without me during my developing years, my parents didn't allow me to say "whatever" as a response. My father never liked me playing video games, my father didn't drink until I was old enough to understand what occasion I should drink (age 20). Obviously I mention these things because the opposite of what happened to me happened in the film. All the things that you expect from an incredibly cliché family is included in the film, such as divorce (multiple). Drinking problems, high school problems, and college problems. If you name the ridiculous fad off the top of your head, it's probably here. Cliché divorced dad that give presents to make up for being a somewhat lousy father. Taking your kids to watch a game? Jesus, really? I can't take even remembering the film. Constant moving? Oh woe is me. Abuse? Woe is me. Don't worry I won't need to delve into the leftist stance this movie has, I would rather not stoop low enough as to talk about politics but this film shamelessly did so. Disappointed at father for a bad decision? Woe is me. The teachers advice in the darkroom was insightful at best. "Seniors having fun", that quote in my book is like a sin. Getting home late and ignoring advice? I did that once, lived outside for a week afterwards. This cast gave me a small tumor from rage.
Finally the only redeeming quality of the film was the fact that they made the story so broad and mediocre that most critics could relate and feel empathy for the film. The only strategy that worked is making the story broad enough for people to relate to it, despite it being complete trash.
Final Sentence: Boyhood is a good title because the kid never became a man.
andparraroSep 24, 2017
This is the best example of a "masterpiece" that I do honestly consider a big pile of sh*t .... OVERRATED!!! Ok, you guys showed a kid becoming a weird teenager, but what else? Big stories inspire us, and this movie only helped me to rememberThis is the best example of a "masterpiece" that I do honestly consider a big pile of sh*t .... OVERRATED!!! Ok, you guys showed a kid becoming a weird teenager, but what else? Big stories inspire us, and this movie only helped me to remember (during almost 3 hours) that teenagers suck, and I already knew that :/ Expand
WhyamIherexDApr 22, 2018
Cool, a movie that took 12 years to make and lets the audience experience a boy's journey into adulthood. Terrific, except it isn't at all. Me and my family could only watch about 40 minutes of this movie before we shut it off out of absoluteCool, a movie that took 12 years to make and lets the audience experience a boy's journey into adulthood. Terrific, except it isn't at all. Me and my family could only watch about 40 minutes of this movie before we shut it off out of absolute boredom. The story is weak, there were so many unnecessary moments, and some characters were literally unwatchable. Like many people here, I made a metacritic account just for this movie. Too many people judge this movie on the way it was made and the concept, not how good it actually was... Isn't judging a movie based on its overall quality the sole purpose of review sites???

The vibe and idea this movie was going for could of been executed way better than this. Give me some decent actors and a good crew of technicians, editors, and directors; that's all I need to make a movie that trumps this one.
BladeLover2049Aug 18, 2018
A film where the cinematographic force is as strong as that of a mouse. The dialogues are interesting ... but when putting it in place we put it next to where the mediocre movies are placed. Mediocre in the sense of wanting to evokeA film where the cinematographic force is as strong as that of a mouse. The dialogues are interesting ... but when putting it in place we put it next to where the mediocre movies are placed. Mediocre in the sense of wanting to evoke literature and not the cinema. A shameful movie. Expand
AmyMArtNov 5, 2019
Let's be honest, without the gimmick of being shot over 12 years this film is needlessly slow and borning. The only saving grace is that it was somewhat interesting seeing the actors age naturally over time but that doesn't save from theLet's be honest, without the gimmick of being shot over 12 years this film is needlessly slow and borning. The only saving grace is that it was somewhat interesting seeing the actors age naturally over time but that doesn't save from the absolutely boring and cliche plot. Expand
MavstarNov 23, 2019
Why the heck is this considered such a great movie. Very dull and lack luster performances.
mycoffeemachineJan 29, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show is terrible, don't be fooled by the super high ratings. It's so bad I created an account here on metacritic just to warn you not to waste 3 hours of your life watching this show about nothing. NOTHING. There is no plot, no character development, no climax, NOTHING. It sucks. How it was filmed in 12 years does nothing for the **** plot Expand
5thStFreddieJan 15, 2015
Everyone knows this is a film made over 12 years, with the same cast - shot one week or so every year. Other than that, what's the story? The mom has bad taste in men, the son has the worst hair cuts in history, and that fake, "nobodyEveryone knows this is a film made over 12 years, with the same cast - shot one week or so every year. Other than that, what's the story? The mom has bad taste in men, the son has the worst hair cuts in history, and that fake, "nobody understands me" angst that should pass for drama. This is what's happening to American film - even the alleged good movies are awful. This is a great film like what - On the Waterfront, To Kill a Mockingbird? Amadeus, Chinatown? It's like every year was written a different writer, or by Linklater trying to figure out what to do. There's no central theme/plot or problem: a story line that challenges, tears them apart, shows a real portrait of a family in the midst of struggle. Nothing. Without the 12 year gimmick, this film has nothing going for it. Four of us, all film fanatics, could not wait for it to end. Expand
diondiikaJan 22, 2015
i realy really dislike this movie , 12 years of making really makes all critics blind, this movie really has no plot, those people suffering from insomnia are suggested to see this movie
greenstarJan 28, 2015
Really wanted to like this film based on all the praise and liking some of Linklater's earlier films, but the unanimous critical praise should be the first clue that the reviews are a herd-like following of other reviewers rather than lookingReally wanted to like this film based on all the praise and liking some of Linklater's earlier films, but the unanimous critical praise should be the first clue that the reviews are a herd-like following of other reviewers rather than looking at the movie apart from the name branding and previous praise heaped upon it. If you like wasting 2 hours and 45 minutes of your life watching contrived, cliched and poorly written scenes and actors then this is your movie. If you want to see people age over 12 years, looking through your own family albums would be a much better use of time than suffering through this mess. Universal acclaim = critic/review failure. Expand
tjosephubertFeb 12, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is completely, utterly, boring. There's literally nothing that happens. It's about a boy living an extremely dull and cliched life. There's virtually no drama that happens throughout the entire movie, and the drama that is presented is still quite listless and unimportant. In other words, this movie is about as plot-less as a movie can get. It took twelve years to film, and yet, those years span by quickly and dully, one event after the other, with no point or order, just chaotic and random. But what makes the movie so dull was the main character.

In the movie, there is nothing bad happens to the main character, nothing to make you connect with him. There's nothing life changing. In fact, the three biggest "bad" things that happen to him are that his mother can't find "the right guy" (after divorcing his father, she marries her college professor who turns out to become a drunk, and then she marries one of her own college students, who turns out to have mental stability problems due to him serving in the military; both of which she ends up divorcing as well), and his father sells the car that he had thought would be his when he turned sixteen, and his girlfriend cheated on him, which resulted in their relationship ending. Other than this, nothing happens. He literally goes through life showing as little emotion as possible, just floating by, as though he was in a coma, or constantly tired.

So, finally, after two hours and thirty mintutes, you come towards the end of the movie. The "boy" is now an adult who has graduated high school and who is going to be going to college. Upon him packing his last things, his mother breaks down saying that there's nothing more that is going to happen with her life. That her life has just been a series of events: her having her children, her divorcing her husband, her raising her children, her marrying a man, divorcing him, raising her kids some more, marring her college student just to divorce him as well, and finally, her sending first her daughter to college, and then her son. Then she concludes with saying that what comes next is, "[her] funeral." To this, the boy, replies that she's off by forty years, "or something." Then she says that, "[she] expected there to be more." The movie then cuts to him driving on the road to college.

When he finally arrives at college, he meets his new roommate, who is friendly and invites him to go hiking with his girlfriend and another friend (who is also a girl). When Mason (the main character) sees that she's pretty, he decides that he'll go. Before he goes, his new roommate hands him a hallucinatory mushroom and says that by the time they reach the mountains, it will have an effect. It then fast forwards to them walking to the mountains and we see that Mason and the new girl are getting along very well. Then it cuts to them sitting and chatting. Across the distance, he sees his roommate yelling into the wind, and he begins to talk to this new girl, named Nicole, about how we need to, "seize the moment." Nicole replies with saying, "I think moments seize us," and it shows Mason thinking for a moment, and then it cuts to the end credits.

I think what bothered me the most about the film was the fact that, despite it having no order, there was a point, but it wasn't that great of one. Mason, who lived his entire boring life on coasting mode is finally forced to see that if he keeps doing this, he will end up like his mom––just living, but not truly alive in the sense of being satisfied with life. The point is that we need to let the moments seize us, and we need to live. Yet, what made this theme so irrelevant was the fact that there was hardly a moment for him to have ever seized! There was no bad, barely any good, nothing that would have made is life have any significant meaning. By the end of the movie, you ask yourself, "Is my life really this boring?" And do you know what my answer was? "No, there's more drama in mine."

In conclusion, if you want to see a long movie that drags on and on about a boy just living his life, then you'll love this movie. Even though it had a theme presented at the end, in my opinion, it just wasn't enough to save the movie overall. It is sad really, because it was such an ambitious project. But by creating such a dull life where nothing happens, I feel that they wasted those twelve years, because in all actuality, most people's lives are far more chaotic and show signs of actual character development due to things that happen, both good and bad, in their lives. That's what this movie failed to do: deliver on experiences that are worth watching. What's left instead is dull, listlessness that fails to satisfy someone who wanted to be entertained. I wanted to see sadness, hopelessness, as well as extreme elation and happiness. To see someone grow into a great person despite and because of circumstances. What I got was boy coasting his entire life though a movie that has a run time far too long.
snowrider155Feb 22, 2015
One of the worst movies I have ever seen. Bad acting, terrible script, no plot, too long. Cheesy after-school special scenes with cliche, one-dimensional characters. The loveable loser dad. The single mom who has to pull herself up by theOne of the worst movies I have ever seen. Bad acting, terrible script, no plot, too long. Cheesy after-school special scenes with cliche, one-dimensional characters. The loveable loser dad. The single mom who has to pull herself up by the bootstraps. The a-hole abusive 2nd husband. What a joke. And don't get me started about the kid. I don't give a rat's ass about the boring brat. Negative stars. Expand
danielb613Jan 15, 2015
I just spent 5 minutes making this account, just so I could diss the 3 hours I wasted on this awful, boring movie. I think I could've filmed an equally good movie about day to day life
SharpsterFeb 2, 2015
Linklater has made the movie equivalent of the Emperor's New Suit!. "It is very beautiful" say the critics but there is nothing resplendent to be seen here! in fact, there is nothing of merit to be seen at all because the movie isn't wearingLinklater has made the movie equivalent of the Emperor's New Suit!. "It is very beautiful" say the critics but there is nothing resplendent to be seen here! in fact, there is nothing of merit to be seen at all because the movie isn't wearing any artistic clothes. Who has the courage to stand up and proclaim that Boyhood is naked? Expand
pacame13Jan 20, 2015
It's fun to see how the character played by the same actor develops in the film. But in my opinion the experiment did not produced positive outcomes, what you are left with is with a movie without any feeling with mediocre acting and evenIt's fun to see how the character played by the same actor develops in the film. But in my opinion the experiment did not produced positive outcomes, what you are left with is with a movie without any feeling with mediocre acting and even worse writing. It is unbelievable that this much effort and time was invested so we could compare a movie with looking at a family's photo album.

I don´t recommend watching this movie, a complete waste of my time.
AntonBellFeb 25, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So, I am an avid movie fanatic. I love pretty much all movies, I haven't a specific genre or preference when it comes to film. I had heard much about "Boyhood," and since the Oscars had "snubbed" it, I desperately wanted to see it (in no small part to critics claiming that this is the "Pulp Fiction" of the Oscars...one of my favorite films). I expected to love it. I expected to walk away from "Boyhood" with a respect for Linklater and Arquette. I expected to have been moved. None of this happened. I have since read that this film is "boring." I am so seldom bored that the thought is almost foreign to me. No longer. Boring doesn't even begin to describe it. It is stale and trite. Yeah, I said trite. Doesn't anyone remember "Before Sunrise?" Linklater is having the exact same conversation he had in that film only now it's Mason having it with his girlfriend in Texas instead of Ethan Hawke having it in Paris. Please, someone give Richard a copy of "Being and Time" so that we don't need to suffer his existential crisis again. The ending lines are precious. "I thought there'd be more," bemoans Olivia. Gimme a break. How many times have we heard *that*? And the icing on the cake, Mason, high with his new college buddies..."You know how you're supposed to seize the moment...? Maybe the moment is supposed to seize you." Wow. Now there are some pearls right there. I get it...he's attempting to explore the "now" we all chase...but anyone who has taken philosophy 101 has thought about this. It's adolescent drivel. He's attempting to explore the relationship of time to the audience. Whatever. There are better ways in which to do that, I'm sure. What they are, I have no idea...I'm not a film maker. But this film was such a massive disappointment, I really cannot be bothered to try to come up with a something better. I hated the characters, for none of them were properly developed. Arquette's performance was dry at best. I thought she was almost as painful to watch as the actor playing Mason. So, what you end up with is a plotless film, with no character development, and an aging director desperately chasing this moment he purports should be chasing him. It's a catastrophically bad film. It's symptomatic of a society so muddled with narcissism that we are romanticizing simplicity to a fault. Yeah. Don't waste your time. Expand
oriasfalloszFeb 25, 2015
it's a perfect hallmark film but nothing more. i don't know why are there so many good reviews. when the film was started i though that it can develop, but no, it's just boring and pointless. i hated the characters, the whole plot, it's veryit's a perfect hallmark film but nothing more. i don't know why are there so many good reviews. when the film was started i though that it can develop, but no, it's just boring and pointless. i hated the characters, the whole plot, it's very unrealistic and a bad-king mixture of stereotypes from the american films Expand
Suzana98Jul 26, 2016
This movie is so monotonous and boring that I'd rather sit and watch grass grow that watch it. Surrounded by awful characters and terrible acting, this movie in no way deserved to be nominated for an Oscar. I admit it that the 12 yearThis movie is so monotonous and boring that I'd rather sit and watch grass grow that watch it. Surrounded by awful characters and terrible acting, this movie in no way deserved to be nominated for an Oscar. I admit it that the 12 year filming thing was an amazing idea and I agree that a lot of hard work had gone into this, but come on, it barely has a good story line. I'd rather take a look at my boring life that watch somebody else's. Expand
BroyaxNov 23, 2019
Oh dis donc, 12 ans pour faire un film... record battu ! et c'est donc "ça" qui fait le buzz puisque les mêmes acteurs et actrices sont venus pointer régulièrement pour aider au remplissage de cette espèce de chronique (?) de la vieOh dis donc, 12 ans pour faire un film... record battu ! et c'est donc "ça" qui fait le buzz puisque les mêmes acteurs et actrices sont venus pointer régulièrement pour aider au remplissage de cette espèce de chronique (?) de la vie quotidienne d'une famille recomposée décomposée et voire plus si affinités.

Il ne faut par conséquent pas s'étonner que le film dépasse les 2h40, car en vérité, ç'aurait pu être pire... quoique en l'état, ce machin très psycho-social est déjà périmé avant d'être fini ou éventuellement consommé. C'est d'une banalité et d'un ennui rarement atteints et ça n'a aucun intérêt.

Ni du côté dramatique ou mélodramatique, ni du côté de la comédie, ni... d'aucun côté en fait. On préfère à dire vrai se taper une saison entière de Derrick que les deux heures et trois quarts de ce machin qui brasse de la merde à n'en plus pouvoir. C'était bien la peine d'y passer 12 ans... 6 mois auraient suffi. Et encore...
jacquesmJan 29, 2015
If this is what is to grow up in America, it "Really Sucks". This is not a true depiction of life, some really good acting combined with allot of bad acting. allot of irritating scenes, especially in the beginning. It shows how undisciplinedIf this is what is to grow up in America, it "Really Sucks". This is not a true depiction of life, some really good acting combined with allot of bad acting. allot of irritating scenes, especially in the beginning. It shows how undisciplined children in the U.S. are, and the lack in parenting. I hated this movie, and considering it took 12 years to make, that gave the director ample time to edit out the bad parts, which he didn't. This movie doesn't deserve the praise it got, especially not directing wise. Any idiot could picked up a camera and shoot a film like this. Appalling. Expand
unionjack26Jan 12, 2015
Well, no matter how much work you put into it, if it's not good, it's not good... and doesn't deserve accolades for effort...

I've seen some of Linklaters and Malicks films and I'm not a fan... not to say I have to be, but if you're going up for an award some things should be paramount... (Tree of Life is still the worst award nominated film I've ever subjected myself to)...

A plot would be nice... a story... a payoff... consistency... competent acting... believable dialogue... character development... motivation are just a few things I'd expect in an award nominated film... It didn't take me on a journey... It showed me a series of pointless scenes to show a passage of time... Seemed like a lot of it was written (or ad-libbed) as they went (later confirmed to a degree by his daughter)...

The liberal agenda (which I mostly agree with) was stuck in there too obviously and made it feel even more like a really bad LIfetime movie...

Reading the reviews, it comes across as people pretending to like or understand the film to fit in, be in the know or appear smart... I prefer to take a serious look at this and be truthful...

I was looking forward to the film... I read the hype, was excited about the premise and am fan of new exciting film ideas... but they have to be well executed... (that's the thing)...I'd like to know what about this film was done well?

Linklater had 12 years to plan out a script, story, plot... to direct the actors to better performances... he had a $4 million budget (with no stunts, SFX, costumes, sets, etc)... He made the most basic of films types: I dialogue-driven drama with no costly name actors... There is no excuse...

If I come across harsh, it's because this film received so much unwarranted or deserving hype and rave reviews... Had this won at a film festival and went to DVD, great.... good for them... For this to be beating out other great films for awards (and for acting and directing too?!?!?!), it deserves some questioning into what the hell are people liking about it?

Is Linklater blackmailing everyone? Were all the critics bribed? Is he best friends with Kim Jong Un?

This film fails to exceed in any of the categories set forth by the awards shows... I'm so glad the SAG Awards are coming soon, so I can gauge how it'll do up against some other greats films... I don't think I can stomach the Oscars if Boyhood is a frontrunner...

Does this film have any rewatchablilty for anyone not involved with the production? Were they any "positive" stand-out performances? Powerful moments? Surprises/twists? Engaging story? Characters to care about?

One last question I'd like to pose...Taking out the fact that all the main actors were available to work at various points within a 12 year period; that is, no one died or decided to quit (though Linklater's daughter wanted her character killed off because she didn't want to do it anymore, to which he said 'no, it would be too powerful for the film' - so instead, nothing happens)... What exactly about his movie was done well or successful?
iluluJan 19, 2015
Unbearably boring, I can't believe I wasted 3 hours of my life watching someone growing up as everyone else did, no story, no action, no drama, no nothing, it would have been a lot better if it was documentary movie with the character acting normal
S0LiDAug 23, 2016
It's totally impossible make a movie so bored... I fell asleep in the first hour, really tedious movie. I can't understand the good reviews for this sleeping pill, seriously.
wrw0010Feb 10, 2015
The concept was brilliant but was wasted on a movie that ultimately said nothing. The universal praise for this film is groupthink made manifest.

The characters were unlikable (and some were downright caricatures) and the dialogue was plodding and pointless. There was no plot or arc or denouement. Honestly, this may be the worst film I've ever spent time watching. 45 minutes in I felt like the movie had staggered on for hours. By the time it was over, I felt like watching the movie had taken 12 years.
benuttyOct 3, 2014
Boyhood should never have been a feature film.

Boyhood should never have been a feature film.

Feeling wholly episodic, Boyhood fails to resonate as a story--its thematic through-line is unclear and each episode lacks the transitions necessary in drawing any sense of a story together. There are certain scenes that make me believe Boyhood would have worked really well as a 12-part miniseries, wherein every episode delves deeper into each year of the 12 years it took to film. Provided it contained more depth, better chemistry between the actors and a clearer focus to the tale being told (that a longer series could have afforded), this would have been a remarkable achievement.

Instead, Boyhood succeeds as a gimmick. I fail to see how any positive review of this film isn't relying on exactly what the film relies on--the wonder that an entire cast & crew had the patience to take 12 years to film a "passion project."

And just a project it surely is.
Beardfull1Jan 11, 2015
Booooooooring!
It was like watching three hours of your nephew's life slide show.
No plot, no script, no great acting... Nothing!
I gave it a 1 cause it takes a lot of guts to film something so forgetable for 12 years!!!
MikefromAngusJan 3, 2015
A really "cool" idea about shooting the film using the same characters over 12 years. But its pointless! The movie is boring, slow and just drags on and on.
RenanSilveiraAug 10, 2014
This is not the perfection you think it is. Its a long and boring story, not so much original. Well, these 12 years of recordings make everybody think "oh lord, what amazing". Ok, but this its not enough to make this a great thing. Sorry.
MateusShieldsAug 9, 2015
Boyhood is acclaimed for being original, but because it's new and different it doesn't mean it's good, and honestly that's about al Boyhood has going for it. Sure there are some good things, Patricia Arquette for example, but otherwise it'sBoyhood is acclaimed for being original, but because it's new and different it doesn't mean it's good, and honestly that's about al Boyhood has going for it. Sure there are some good things, Patricia Arquette for example, but otherwise it's slow, dull, uneventful and boring. It's a nice idea, but the only time in the film where my interest was mildly spiked was when the glass is thrown and maybe the next 10 minutes. Originality does not compensate for the 3 hour waste of time Boyhood is. At even at that Boyhood isn't that original, it's essentially does what a TV series does, only that compressed into three hours, without any significant comedy or drama, with dull and generally annoying characters and a generic story. This is probably the most overrated film ever, it sucked, it was boring and slow and I'm not being petty, I'm not saying that I like it less because of it's critical acclaim, I'm simply saying it's a terrible movie, that may have worked by being relatable, (although it's so boring even if I could relate I would still want to shoot my TV), and original, but not more than that, it just isn't well rounded, it doesn't have the balance between relatable and interesting, and that is what the goal for this film should have been Expand
Yammer83Jun 11, 2021
This movie is so tedious I had to turn my tv off. I haven't turned off many movies but this movie is an utter failure. It is offensive with no redeeming qualities. This is truly deserving of a 0 score. I couldn't even watch the movie to theThis movie is so tedious I had to turn my tv off. I haven't turned off many movies but this movie is an utter failure. It is offensive with no redeeming qualities. This is truly deserving of a 0 score. I couldn't even watch the movie to the half point ! One of the worst movies of the last 2 decades. Expand
hockeymaniac87Oct 15, 2014
I saw this movie with my girlfriend on the account that the concept of it was very intriguing, but I spent over 3/4 of the movie curled up in a ball groaning, yelling, hyperventilating, and biting my arm hair because it was overwhelminglyI saw this movie with my girlfriend on the account that the concept of it was very intriguing, but I spent over 3/4 of the movie curled up in a ball groaning, yelling, hyperventilating, and biting my arm hair because it was overwhelmingly painful to watch. (I do that at bad movies.) THE CONCEPT IS GREAT! Good job! That's it! Like others have said about it, if I wanted to watch a movie about life I'd strap a cardboard box to my body and view things through it like it was a TV set. We all enjoy reliving experiences outside of our own life, like in driving games when you decide you want to actually drive the speed limit and use your turn signal, BUT IT GETS BORING REAL QUICK! This movie is not only extremely boring, but inconceivably pointless. "Oh but they had abusive step dads!! That's dramatic!" The first step dad spent 5 minutes in one scene talking about chores and overacting his drunkenness. In another scene, the main character talked about why he didn't like Facebook for ten minutes. The acting is atrocious across the board, except for when Ethan Hawk plays a more respectable middle aged dad towards the end. Every line was forced and seemingly read off of a cue card written from a script that I feel like one of my old depressed Navy friends never finished.

There is literally only one scene worth mentioning that can be considered well written: The first time the main character comes home late as a teen, he arrives at a small party that his mom and new (second) step dad are having. The step dad says "Do you know what time it is?" At this point the viewer believes that there's going to be a fight, but when the main character says that it's sometime after midnight, the step dad says "Happy birthday." OF 3+ HOURS of horrible writing, THAT ONE SCENE is the only thing remotely well written and heartfelt!

People, I'm doing this as a public service because I spent 20 minutes of the movie googling on my phone why this film got good reviews. Don't be roped in by this nonsense. They did a great job taking 12 years to film something with all the same actors, I'll give them that. Unfortunately, they couldn't time travel forward to see how horrible those actors would become.

Do yourself a favor and spend twelve years with an actual human instead of Boyhood. It will probably be way more interesting and will seem a lot less shorter than this movie.

Rating: Garbage
Favorite line: "I'll email these to everyone!"
southafricaJan 28, 2015
How can people write good reviews!! First review I write and this is so far is the **** MOVIE EVER!! If this movie remind you of your life then you really had a **** boring life! No action, no ending, no meaning! Just a movie about the lifeHow can people write good reviews!! First review I write and this is so far is the **** MOVIE EVER!! If this movie remind you of your life then you really had a **** boring life! No action, no ending, no meaning! Just a movie about the life of a boring boy! Life is to short to waste 2 hours or more on this **** Apparently it took 12 years to make this **** FOR THIS A 0!!! In 2 hours I could have had sex!, surfed, got drunk or stoned, studied or do what the **** I want! I will never get this 2 hours back! **** YOU!!!!! Expand
dsanford123Feb 10, 2015
I don't get it, paint drying is more entertaining. After 2 hours we finally fast forwarded to the end. I'm sorry they wasted 12 years, at least I only wasted a little over 2 hours and a couple bucks with Redbox. Thank goodness we didn't seeI don't get it, paint drying is more entertaining. After 2 hours we finally fast forwarded to the end. I'm sorry they wasted 12 years, at least I only wasted a little over 2 hours and a couple bucks with Redbox. Thank goodness we didn't see it at the theater, I would have been pissed. Just goes to show you that professional critics are full of nonsense. Boring, dull, we don't have to see a movie to know that the day to day life of most people is pretty dull. We go to movies to escape it. Expand
jfglniaFeb 14, 2015
This was the most boring movie I have ever watched. I cannot understand what the hype is all about.

The only interesting scene in the movie is the one where the restaurant manager thanked the mother for encouraging him to go to college. Truly a waste!
brieflyAug 9, 2014
A more apt title is: Boy, Hoodwinked. Once again I fell victim to universal critical praise for a movie that's only redeeming merit is that Ethan Hawke isn't overly smarmy for a change. The acting is pretty bad overall, but maybe that'sA more apt title is: Boy, Hoodwinked. Once again I fell victim to universal critical praise for a movie that's only redeeming merit is that Ethan Hawke isn't overly smarmy for a change. The acting is pretty bad overall, but maybe that's because the characters are such stereotypes -- the scene on the camping trip with the five boys might have just shown the cue cards being raised for each kid to read off of. The story is endless and tedious and uneventful. Save your money. Expand
royphishoohJan 11, 2015
I have just wasted nearly three hours watching this tedious self-indulgent drivel. If this awful tripe beats "Theory of Everything" at the Oscars it will be a disgrace. This incredibly over-rated film is another example of a writer-directorI have just wasted nearly three hours watching this tedious self-indulgent drivel. If this awful tripe beats "Theory of Everything" at the Oscars it will be a disgrace. This incredibly over-rated film is another example of a writer-director having nobody to say "That's a bad idea" Expand
indiefilmnycAug 12, 2014
It amazes me all the hype and praise for this movie, especially by critics and a lot of fans. I for one, just don't get it. Ok, I like some of Linklater's films and you can say, that Boyhood is unique in that it 'supposedly' captures a whiteIt amazes me all the hype and praise for this movie, especially by critics and a lot of fans. I for one, just don't get it. Ok, I like some of Linklater's films and you can say, that Boyhood is unique in that it 'supposedly' captures a white boy growing up over 12 years. But I'd take any other boy's story over this lame, lackluster ride for over 2hrs at that. Some nice cinematography and most of the acting is on point, but wtf is the story. Oh, thats right, a boy growing up!? And his dysfunctional family? sorry, this pales in comparison to real life for many outside this bubble. Forget all the hype and save your money and watch this when it hits cable or netflix. If you really want to see a story of a boy aging over time and life's impact, go watch the documentary, "American Promise." Here's another case in point, where you DON'T listen to these so called professional critics. What a bunch of baloney. Expand
lisagailSep 13, 2014
weak acting, weak writing, trite themes, could not believe the high ratings this film received. total waste of time and money. only positive was the unique filming over 12 years, but wasted on this particular film.
EdenJan 16, 2015
This moving is nothing. All the rave reviews are another instance of those who are afraid to say the emperor has no clothes. The gimmick of following a boy over 10 years is squandered on a BORING storyline, and 2 hollywood actors trying toThis moving is nothing. All the rave reviews are another instance of those who are afraid to say the emperor has no clothes. The gimmick of following a boy over 10 years is squandered on a BORING storyline, and 2 hollywood actors trying to bring some life to it. NOTHING HAPPENS. People change physically and emotionally, but rarely is this worthy alone in the making of a motion picture. Expand
moviespotAug 7, 2014
Surprisingly Uninspiring! Boyhood was a unique idea but lacked excitement and feeling. The movie played like a long (166 minute) documentary focusing on the coming of age of two kids who face divorce, mixed family , alcoholism and theSurprisingly Uninspiring! Boyhood was a unique idea but lacked excitement and feeling. The movie played like a long (166 minute) documentary focusing on the coming of age of two kids who face divorce, mixed family , alcoholism and the struggles of life. Do not waste your money unless Aunt Rose gave you a free pass. The acting was poor, the plot (if there was one) was scattered and the emotions were few and far between. I continuously was waiting for something that would move me but Boyhood did not meet those needs. I go to movies like this to feel something emotionally. The only thing I felt was anger that I paid $ 7.50 to get in. Expand
realscoopAug 17, 2014
A great concept with no there there. Like taking a 3 hour bath with none of the pleasure of the first 30 mins of that bath... painful after the first hour. Maybe that's a form of water torture - boring scene drip after boring scene drip.A great concept with no there there. Like taking a 3 hour bath with none of the pleasure of the first 30 mins of that bath... painful after the first hour. Maybe that's a form of water torture - boring scene drip after boring scene drip.

Imagine if your friend's parent was a movie or commercial director & filmed him with pro gear over 12 years. Then imagine he showed you & some complete strangers 3 hours of dull to modestly interesting moments that they captured. Now imagine your friend told you beforehand it was a masterpiece that expanded the boundaries of film making & the best thing you'll see all year.

That's all you need to know about how you'll feel after watching this boring, lazy, overhyped waste of time. Yes, life is made up of tiny little moments. But life needs editing, and people need to form their own opinions instead of following meekly what they are supposed to like. Shameful it was so fawned over by critics.
AidanLockhartJan 17, 2015
Linkleter is the first auteur in history to transcend the temporal limits of film making. And the results are spectacularly underwhelming. This masterbatorial pilgrimage down memory-lane cheaply stiches together stale iconography and sourLinkleter is the first auteur in history to transcend the temporal limits of film making. And the results are spectacularly underwhelming. This masterbatorial pilgrimage down memory-lane cheaply stiches together stale iconography and sour nostalgia. The Hawke-Arkette duo is compelling but the satisfying ripples of their humanity quickly dissipate into the boring nihilism of so-called ‘boyhood’. While we are meant to celebrate his triumph over first-world inconvenience—all we are given is his privileged, self-indulgent paranoia. Expand
bluesberryFeb 22, 2015
This was an ambitious project, but it turned out a very dull cliché. Nothing in the film felt genuine, except for Arquette's performance. The guy in the main role shouldn't have been forced to return to filming since he so obviously lacksThis was an ambitious project, but it turned out a very dull cliché. Nothing in the film felt genuine, except for Arquette's performance. The guy in the main role shouldn't have been forced to return to filming since he so obviously lacks talent. The result was very bland and a stereotypical American coming of age story. The writing and the acting the whole result was terribly bland. Those claiming that this is not for mainstream audiences, because it is an artistic concept film overestimate the film. And possibly underestimate the audience. Expand
leaveitApr 9, 2015
Perhaps the most interesting thing about this movie is that it's reported as having a score of 100, when really the score is 97.48, and the zeitgeist that caused the critics to collude around a supposedly perfect score, even when there werePerhaps the most interesting thing about this movie is that it's reported as having a score of 100, when really the score is 97.48, and the zeitgeist that caused the critics to collude around a supposedly perfect score, even when there were criticisms. Expand
FranklinLeonardJan 15, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For all of its epic-like efforts at continuity (over a real-life 12-year marathon shooting schedule), I was utterly disappointed by the meandering, largely superficial dialogue, going-through-the-motions acting and largely minimal scripting of dramatic story arcs -- all of it being a bit shocking given the stellar "100"-score critic reviews globally here. Technically, Llinklater has achieved a unique, impressive milestone in the "yearly time-lapsed aging" of the characters in "Boyhood," but the hoped-for progression of their life experiences in the forms of "maturity" and "wisdom" entirely fails to materialize in Linklater's over-indulgent trivializing and cliched patchwork scripting.

Although he has relatively little screen time in this family storytelling, Ethan Hawke's "Daddy/Mason Sr." role is perhaps one of the few compelling, enlightened and nearly fully-evolved "progressive" characters. Sadly, for a nearly thee-hour exercise for me (and other viewers, I'm sure) trying to fight off new-found bouts of narcolepsy, there is really no "back story" as to why Hawke's daddy character divorced his ex-wife/"Mom" (Patricia Arquette) way before the timeline narrative of the film starts off. What we get from Arquette's role as a soon-to-be university professor who supposedly grows into becoming an intellectual woman but has the continued worst taste in subsequent husbands/live-in partners -- one husband is a cariicature alcoholic and the other is a live-in prison correctional guard who is always getting on stepson, Mason Jr. (Ellar Coltrane) for his rebellious, "artsy" ways!

MINI-SPOILER ALERT HERE: Alas, we are left to watch is Ellar Coltrane's Mason Jr. "slowly" growing up from a cute, largely likable curious boy (who also must also deal with his mother's very real life struggles with broken marriages and moving to new towns) to later become a largely mumbling, whiney adolescent that must confront every teen's dreaded "first love lost" with the prolonged looks of a shaggy, lost, pouty dog for something like 10 scenes or more.

What is another sad loss for this film is how Mason's precocious and likable slightly older sister, Samantha (played by the director's daughter, Lorelei Linklater), sees her screen time steadily shrik to cameo-style appearances for the second half of the film. In one of the rare funnier and cute scenes early into Samantha's early adolescence is how her estranged father Mason Sr. (Hawkes) so awkwardly discusses (in a bowling alley in front of Mason Jr.) the need for "her" to buy condoms while trying to pry information about her similarly 15-year-old "school boyfriend" (whom we never get to meet on-screen). And from there, Samantha all but disappears from the narrative of the film.

Certainly, it is welcoming to see any kind of movie with this kind of level of "genuine human dialogue" written into a long-form movie free from whiz-bang action and the over-the-top CGI effects all too much a fixture of today's Hollywood's big-box-office comic fanboy flicks, but Linklater's linear and overly-monotone caricatures of adults and kids interacting in a family drama like this pretty much devolves into a very prolonged melding of "The Stroud Family" meets "Seventh Heaven."

Frankly, this 2-hour, 45-minute "exercise in patience" just seems to entirely embrace the most trivial, mundane and cliched narratives on American life today -- little more than grabbing your cell phone or iPad to text an 8th-grade friend to cry about how my "first crush" is breaking up with me to date the "high school jock!" Wait, did Linklater crib that story arc from an episode of "Wonder Years" some 20 years earlier?

Yet, I'm sure given how "Boyhood" has won over critics with its unprecedented "time-lapsed filmmaking" and grabbed a Best Movie Drama Golden Globe, the bandwagon effect is likely to spell even more accolades and an Oscar statue for Best Picture of 2014. I guess I'll just be whimsically smiling when the awards are being handed out on Oscar night, but still trying to figure out how the nation's critics all drank the Kool-Aid from Richard Linklater's fish tank-sized punch bowl.
starwooowMar 8, 2015
totally awful film. the only reason why this movie got rave reviews because it made in 12 years. that doesn't mean anything. 2,5 hours with boring and pointless idea. i'm just glad boyhood didn't win major oscar.
ckremerDec 12, 2014
I did not like this movie and found the dialogue to be insincere and hard to believe. I have a ten year old son and am around a lot of boys and the conversations and dialogue just did not ring true. The teenage years were totallyI did not like this movie and found the dialogue to be insincere and hard to believe. I have a ten year old son and am around a lot of boys and the conversations and dialogue just did not ring true. The teenage years were totally un-relatable. He sounded like a throwback to the 70's. Not a real boy to me. Overall, the movie seemed formulaic and contrived - not at all innovative or unique. Expand
zedzdedApr 14, 2018
I really don't get all the hype. I only watched it to the end to see if I was missing something but this is not even a mediocre movie. So uninteresting. So what it was made over 10 years. That doesn't automatically make it good. Weak,I really don't get all the hype. I only watched it to the end to see if I was missing something but this is not even a mediocre movie. So uninteresting. So what it was made over 10 years. That doesn't automatically make it good. Weak, trite, dull. Expand
sambenaJan 17, 2015
I want to say something positive about this movie but I can't. This is basically some hipsters crazy dream to make a move that took over a decade to make just so he could use the same actors to play all the roles.
MythoughtsonlyJan 16, 2015
I very much agree with AkashVijay. This movie is best as a documentary, and even then I'm not sure it would hold anyone's attention. I believe it is getting all this recognition because it was uniquely done. The only character having anyI very much agree with AkashVijay. This movie is best as a documentary, and even then I'm not sure it would hold anyone's attention. I believe it is getting all this recognition because it was uniquely done. The only character having any substance was Ethan Hawke's. I don't believe Ellar Coltrane even wanted to be there the last few years. There was no story, no substance and absolutely no payoff in the end. It's been hard to find a really good movie the last few years but they are supposed to be entertaining not watching grass grow, everyday life. A waste of 3 hours in my opinion. Expand
DarkMoonGamingMar 19, 2015
This is very boring. If it took 12 years to make well that means... You wasted 12 years. It is just real life so nothing interesting. It is not a movie. Im giving 0 because it isnt even a thing. Go watch some transformers, whose who like thisThis is very boring. If it took 12 years to make well that means... You wasted 12 years. It is just real life so nothing interesting. It is not a movie. Im giving 0 because it isnt even a thing. Go watch some transformers, whose who like this have no taste. Expand
maspicsSep 28, 2014
If a movie gets all great reviews, you have to question if it is really that good. Yes, this movie was a feat in filming a life of a boy and his family over so many years, but it was not worth sitting 3 hours and watching the young manIf a movie gets all great reviews, you have to question if it is really that good. Yes, this movie was a feat in filming a life of a boy and his family over so many years, but it was not worth sitting 3 hours and watching the young man question what it was all about and then not coming up with an answer. It's a good movie to take a needed nap. Expand
animexionDec 8, 2014
boring, very slow, the cure for imsonia, waste of time, really 100 points? what happend with the people, for sleep just see this movie, boring boring
moviefan42Feb 24, 2015
This is one of the worst movies I have seen in years. I had to fight myself to finish it. I agree with all the comments that this was an ambitious project. Twelve years to make a movie is, if nothing else, an exercise in patience. I thinkThis is one of the worst movies I have seen in years. I had to fight myself to finish it. I agree with all the comments that this was an ambitious project. Twelve years to make a movie is, if nothing else, an exercise in patience. I think it is an admirable accomplishment with the best of intentions. However, all the effort provided absolutely zero benefit to the lackluster story. The story started bad, then it got worse. I can see no other reason for all the positive reviews accept for the fact that it was such an ambitious project. All the ambition in the world did not make the product any good. Using the same actors as the children aged did not add any value to the movie. What was the point? It was just a bad story. What makes in more annoying is that they had twelve years to put together a good movie and this is what we got!? I have nothing against Patricia Arquette but her performance was certainly not worthy of any specific notoriety. The only reason she got an oscar was for commitment to the film but certainly not for her performance. It has been a long time since I have been mad that I wasted time on a movie but today, I see my streak is over. I am flat out pissed that I wasted my time on this movie. What a complete disappointment and waste of a free Red Box coupon code! Expand
ItaiSep 6, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In one word- Boring!
Instead of giving us something different and exciting than the reality we experience every day, I had to sit down at the theatre and watch it all over on fast forward.
My expectations were high, but even if not the movie was really bad.
matheusmk123Feb 24, 2015
Um dos filmes mais chatos que já vi, agora todo mundo fala bem, mas tenta ver o filme sem tem sono, aposto que esse filme vai ser um daqueles considerados "cult" mas que ninguém vai se lembrar. Minha nota para o filme é 0 de 10.
Mike_MSep 10, 2014
I am a fan of Linklater, but I am just not seeing the love for this movie. I will give this movie its due for not being about empty bs, but it's definitely a melodrama for most scenes, and with very performatory acting on top of it. There'sI am a fan of Linklater, but I am just not seeing the love for this movie. I will give this movie its due for not being about empty bs, but it's definitely a melodrama for most scenes, and with very performatory acting on top of it. There's not a lot of depth or nuance here. Expand
bo100Feb 21, 2015
There was absolutely no plot to this movie except to have a few subliminal political messages continually bashing Bush, Fox News and Republicans, while at the same time flaunting sex, alcohol and drug use by minors, while a hard working MomThere was absolutely no plot to this movie except to have a few subliminal political messages continually bashing Bush, Fox News and Republicans, while at the same time flaunting sex, alcohol and drug use by minors, while a hard working Mom gets constantly abused by the men in her life. It was like watching a liberal campaigning for office bringing up just about every liberal hot topic to push down the throats of its viewers. As expected, because of this the liberal media and Hollywood will love this movie, hence all the Oscar nominations.

It would be nice to see a movie that had no political overtones (liberal or conservative) to it be nominated once in a while, but that is not what drives Hollywood.

With that being said, it was a brilliant idea to film these characters over an 11-12 year period. There was just no storyline and it ended making you fell like you were waiting for there to be some type of conclusion and/or wondering if you missed something. After watching the movie a 2nd time, I realized I did not miss anything, because there was nothing to miss. There was no point to this movie except for watching the characters grow up physically. A complete waste of time-twice!
darkbeast119Jan 23, 2015
Boyhood is a coming of age film directed by Richard Linklater which is over two hours long and let me tell you, it was 12 years for absolutely nothing. all the young actors are more or less incredibly lifeless and Ellar Coltrane goes fromBoyhood is a coming of age film directed by Richard Linklater which is over two hours long and let me tell you, it was 12 years for absolutely nothing. all the young actors are more or less incredibly lifeless and Ellar Coltrane goes from being a innocent kid to a miserable and pathetic young man who looks like a druggie Justin Bieber. it was super duper **** and the only good thing was the actress who played mason's mother who was really acting and showing some emotion. Boyhood is a film for poor butt sucking critics who lives are terrible and can relate with a film that gives a dark view on how life is really terrible. I can't believe that rotten tomatoes and metacritic gave this film high scores, either because they don't know what real films or they just have their heads up their prideful asses. Boyhood is a disgrace to modern day cinema and is the absolute worst and I mean worst film of 2014. Expand
Anonymous_1Sep 15, 2014
Synopsis: Basically a left-wing, misandrist propaganda movie about the life of a drug-abusing, alcoholic, womanizing teenage delinquent; his airhead single mother; and all of the bad, disposable father figures the boy had in his life.Synopsis: Basically a left-wing, misandrist propaganda movie about the life of a drug-abusing, alcoholic, womanizing teenage delinquent; his airhead single mother; and all of the bad, disposable father figures the boy had in his life.

Score Breakdown: Plot 0.2/10, Left-Wing Agenda -100/10, Total Score 0/10
boubadiopFeb 19, 2015
A very long and boring film. Watched it on a long plane journey and I'm sure it made the the journey worse, The main character becomes this annoying kid who you just really cant be bothered listening to because of his unenthusiastic doucheA very long and boring film. Watched it on a long plane journey and I'm sure it made the the journey worse, The main character becomes this annoying kid who you just really cant be bothered listening to because of his unenthusiastic douche bag voice. You watch the film the whole way through because of the major hype and excellent reviews waiting for something to happen but the ending is just one big fart in the face and really not worth your time. Expand
lhedemannAug 17, 2014
Wow , the most boring and drawn out rubbish i have ever seen.What a waste of 3 hrs.I as not alone in falling asleep in the cinema , a movie about dribble.
3bytheseaSep 11, 2014
Oh my... Where do I start other than to say than this movie took 2 hours and 45 minutes of my life I can never get back! Boy did Linklater really miss an opportunity here to capture what was really going on for this young boy who turns teenOh my... Where do I start other than to say than this movie took 2 hours and 45 minutes of my life I can never get back! Boy did Linklater really miss an opportunity here to capture what was really going on for this young boy who turns teen who turns young adult. You see a mom who twice makes poor choices in men and we never really know the depth of the impact this has on not only this boy but his sister. How did it feel for them to leave their step siblings so abruptly...no one knows, the movie transitioned and never dealt with the psychological repercussions for all involved. The bullying that is often so pervasive for boys in middle school...bathroom scene took all of a couple minutes of a 2 hr. 45 min movie...really? Boys have their own complexity and this movie was nothing but superficially going through the motions for far too long. Where was the editor? While Ethan Hawke was a like able character and perhaps in the end the most put together adult, couldn't help but feel his role and style of his dialogue was a mere extension of his character in Linklater's trilogy Before Sunrise, Before Sunset and Before Midnight. If you want insight as to the depth of how boys really feel...You will NOT find in in this movie. The critics lack depth by rating this movie so high. Pay attention to the user reviews, not the critics...if you do, it's at your own risk! Expand
psvJul 18, 2014
I have just been witness of real life boy being stripped from his manliness as he grows old. The movie starts incredibly well, featuring the early stages of both a boy and a girl and all the subtle details that makes the difference betweenI have just been witness of real life boy being stripped from his manliness as he grows old. The movie starts incredibly well, featuring the early stages of both a boy and a girl and all the subtle details that makes the difference between genders. The parents going through real relationship problems. The mother being amorous and caring and the father taking them out of their comfort zones and being active.
Everything is awesome until the boy turns 15. His 15th birthday is one of the most amazing birthdays any man could have. He is given a shotgun for god sakes! From there the movie takes a 360 degree turn and becomes more of a series of propaganda scenes. The acting performance of the boy suddenly felt ungenuine. The boy is not the only one taken his manhood from. Suddenly every single male character becomes a confused wuss and is starts being reflected in the women around their lives. I just could not take it any more when I saw his sweet mother in tears of desperation. People around me laugh as the poor woman screamed for something to hold on to life.