Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) | Release Date: March 5, 1982
8.5
Universal acclaim based on 37 Ratings
Watch Now
TheWalrus2000Apr 29, 2013
A well-written masterpiece, Diner is one of the smartest and funniest films of all times.
MovieLonely94Sep 5, 2011
Sometimes adult films can be very entertaining with stronger premises, neat acting, and laugh-out-loud comedy which is why we get Barry Levinson's Diner.

It revolves around Christmas time in 1959 where 5 boys spend their time at the diner. When the gang realizes that they have to spend a few days without the comfort of their favorite restaurant, they try to settle their lives by showing their responsibilities while sharing their details.

Thinking about this movie makes me want to watch it again to keep on making me laugh my butt off. I mean, it is that good there's absolutely nothing negative to say about it.

The premise about spending their lives explaining their details without the diner was very interesting. The acting was pure masterpiece. Every actor you see, Steve Guttenberg from the Police Academy series, Daniel Stern from Home Alones 1 and 2, Mickey Rourke from Iron Man 2, Kevin Bacon from Apollo 13, Balto, Mystic River, you name it.

The comedy was pure genius. The jokes that I like the best were Fenwick pretending to be dead from his car accident and the part where Fenwick gets drunk while goofing off near a church.

The soundtrack was great and the 1959 period setting was very creative. Diner is one of the greatest films ever made from the early 80s that defines the 50s and it is in my list.

bobbsywOct 23, 2010
A fantastic film about nothing at all. Effortlessly captures the idealistic view of America in the 50s/60s, the acting is spot on, and the dialogue is simply superb, with an unscripted feel flowing throughout the diner scenes.