Paramount Pictures | Release Date: April 23, 1999
8.9
Universal acclaim based on 248 Ratings
Watch Now
TylerDurden900Jul 13, 2014
Election is a spot on movie about elections, characters and black comedy mixed in for fun. The actors
give great lines and they feel like their the character's, they don't seem like they are acting when you watch the movie. Election is one of the best comedy-dramas of the last twenty years !
EnanAug 23, 2010
Rigged: Routines and Dreams in Alexander Payneâ
smartmartSep 17, 2015
This has got to be one of the greatest movies I've ever seen. It is a very darkly comedic satire that looks into some pretty tough subjects for a high school comedy. But, "Election" isn't really just a high school comedy, it is a look at aThis has got to be one of the greatest movies I've ever seen. It is a very darkly comedic satire that looks into some pretty tough subjects for a high school comedy. But, "Election" isn't really just a high school comedy, it is a look at a set of character who are, mostly, pretty pathetic people, who you both despise yet feel very bad for at the same time.
Alexander Payne has gone on to make a lot more well received comedy dramas including "Sideways", The Descendants", and "Nebraska". I still have yet to see these films, but after watching "election", I'm sure they'll be spectacular!
GreatbealloFeb 19, 2012
This movie is so great and unique! I am not particularly fond of Matthew Broderick, and he is really detestable in this movie, but he plays a douche bag to perfection. Reese Witherspoon is also on point. Seriously, this movie is an unusualThis movie is so great and unique! I am not particularly fond of Matthew Broderick, and he is really detestable in this movie, but he plays a douche bag to perfection. Reese Witherspoon is also on point. Seriously, this movie is an unusual treat. I can't really compare it to anything else I have seen. Expand
LuciusMcGibbonFeb 27, 2018
The most impressive thing to me about this movie is that it may or may not have been cast according to who happened to be hot enough at the time... and somehow everybody seems like the absolute perfect choice for their respective roles.The most impressive thing to me about this movie is that it may or may not have been cast according to who happened to be hot enough at the time... and somehow everybody seems like the absolute perfect choice for their respective roles.

Everything else that's good about this movie has no doubt already been said.
ImpugnJan 11, 2020
Election is a classic with everything you could ask for in a dark comedy drama. It has acerbic dialogue, outstanding acting & the movie is stylishly shot. The movie has narrating, freeze frames, credits that zoom on to the screen and off theElection is a classic with everything you could ask for in a dark comedy drama. It has acerbic dialogue, outstanding acting & the movie is stylishly shot. The movie has narrating, freeze frames, credits that zoom on to the screen and off the screen at the start. It is a unique experience that every movie lover should take. Expand
heeldavidAug 27, 2014
Alexander Payne showed us his talent with this 90's classic, a great high school film full of great lines and great black comedy. Nice work by Witherspoon, Broderick and Kline.
Compi24Feb 7, 2014
Acerbic humor and subtly brilliant performances highlight Alexander Payne's "Election," a brilliantly dark film with mirthfully unlikable characters and some playfully indelible imagery.
[Anonymous]Dec 5, 2007
Great movie. Hilarious. I thought Kevin Kline was surprising good.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
drlowdonJun 7, 2013
Having been involved in a scandal resulting in a high school teacher losing his job and family Tracy Flick (Witherspoon) is determined to win the election for student-body president. When her teacher, Mr. McAllister (Broderick), realises heHaving been involved in a scandal resulting in a high school teacher losing his job and family Tracy Flick (Witherspoon) is determined to win the election for student-body president. When her teacher, Mr. McAllister (Broderick), realises he may be forced to spend the next year working closely with a girl he can't stand he convinces the popular, but not particularly bright, Paul Meltzer to run against her.

A satirical comedy of the American electoral process Election has a dark sense of humor throughout with much of the comedy arising from the gradual unraveling of Mr. McAllister's life and it is largely thanks its more subtle nature that it managers to differentiate itself from the endless string of high-school movies of the late nineties. Resisting the temptation to utilise the usual cliched high school characters Election fully explores the motivations of each of the, very well cast, main characters with Reece Witherspoon in particular playing her role to perfection. As relevant now as it was when released Election would make an excellent addition to any movie collection.
SpangleJan 25, 2015
Election is certainly a very well made and very entertaining little flick (heh) with some great acting from Matthew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon, but I don't know, I just didn't love it. Alexander Payne's direction is great as always andElection is certainly a very well made and very entertaining little flick (heh) with some great acting from Matthew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon, but I don't know, I just didn't love it. Alexander Payne's direction is great as always and this one is a very interesting film on the ethics of how far one will go to have success and, above all, is an interesting snapshot of life at this particular high school and in the lives of these kids. The writing is also strong, but ultimately, I just felt like this one meandered a bit. All of it is an exercise in ethics and morals, sure, but I wish it stayed more focused on the election rather than focusing on the personal life of Broderick's character or past events at the school. Adding a bit more depth to the race for Student Government President and disregarding other events a bit would ultimately result in a better film in my mind (though obviously some of the events I wish to shrink are necessary, but I don't think they needed to play as much of a role in the overall story as they did). As a whole, I can certainly see why Election is so widely praised, but I just didn't love it, I guess. Expand
MovieGuysOct 4, 2014
Election is a witty, satirical, hilarious dark comedy. Its high school setting is surprisingly realistic, and every character has a real purpose in the story. Broderick and Witherspoon are great as the leads, and it is a treat to watch theirElection is a witty, satirical, hilarious dark comedy. Its high school setting is surprisingly realistic, and every character has a real purpose in the story. Broderick and Witherspoon are great as the leads, and it is a treat to watch their awkward, teacher-student conversations. There is character development, twists, turns, and enough laughs to make Election worth a watch. Expand
RobertBroganSep 30, 2015
Election is the type of satire where one is more likely to wince than laugh. It is a bit dark and edgy and is reminiscent of American Beauty. The performances are good, though a bit overwrought. Election, while not thoroughly enjoyable, is aElection is the type of satire where one is more likely to wince than laugh. It is a bit dark and edgy and is reminiscent of American Beauty. The performances are good, though a bit overwrought. Election, while not thoroughly enjoyable, is a still a remarkable film. Expand
amheretojudgeFeb 10, 2019
Voting Without Any Care.

Election Payne writes like a twelve year old boy does in his personal diary. Without any care of the structure or grammar, he just writes, honestly. He blatantly spits out all the emotions in layman terms, so free
Voting Without Any Care.

Election

Payne writes like a twelve year old boy does in his personal diary. Without any care of the structure or grammar, he just writes, honestly. He blatantly spits out all the emotions in layman terms, so free and so simple in his command over the film, that he moves everyone with it. His knack of projecting the tiniest aspect of the novel that he is adapting from, thrusts the entire film to a busy environment that you cannot help but get engaged in it. Somewhat Scorsese-like in his methods, his film is hilariously smart. The observational comedy is his approach and the result is basically a riot of laughter.

There is sincerity in each scene of the film and there are aplenty in here, he takes care of all the perspective and with a stable pace, he drives smoothly off the town like a sheriff. This illuminating satire of social and political world that we neglect every now and then, is one of the quirkiest and strongest film to set in a college field. Witherspoon, committing in her sassy-ness brings out a gutsy hatred towards her from us every time she speaks and that is her real win. The annoyance and eye scratching body language of hers shows powerful finesse on her acting.

Klein and Campbell- the Metzlers- are completely opposite to Witherspoon, they are adorable and instantly likable on screen, although their performance isn't as convincing as Witherspoon. Broderick is the victim, the character for pity and to be rooted, often fumbling and wrong in his decisions, he humanizes the character through slick humor on being the butt of the joke; something not everyone is able to pull off on a screen. Election is exactly like the real ones, sugar coated in a college life it attracts the viewer to this not-so-absorbing concept with open arms.
GaborA.Feb 28, 2006
One of the best comedies...movies of all time. Hits the nail right on the head over and over.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
KSApr 26, 2007
This movie was great, and really gives a good view of the bigger picture-American elections and middle class society.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
ahmedaiman9999Oct 22, 2018
At first glance, Election may appear to be just another high school flick, but it's actually far from being so. Alexander Payne's superb screenplay asks a plethora of surprisingly difficult moral questions. It also features some very veryAt first glance, Election may appear to be just another high school flick, but it's actually far from being so. Alexander Payne's superb screenplay asks a plethora of surprisingly difficult moral questions. It also features some very very compelling and sophisticated characters played by equally brilliant actors who delivered remarkable performances, especially Matthew Broderick's. You won't appreciate the incredibly nuanced characters until you think about them, and their actions more than once after finishing the movie. Add to that the fact that Payne's intelligent script never tried to rely on tired exposition techniques to flesh out his characters, but instead he used a lot of subtle references and nuances to make us identify with these characters even without the slightest reliance on sentimentality. That said, I think Tracy Flick, played by Reese Witherspoon, should have been way more sympathetic, because I felt almost zero pity for her!

The dark humor enriches the satirical aspect of the movie, but halfway through the movie the tone changed a great deal and became so dark. The thing that made the tone inconsistent with the first and the third act. Payne heavy usage of V.O.s and freeze frames gave the movie its own style, and also made it feel more lighthearted.

I loved how the movie made all its characters flawed, but in a way that really adds more depth to these characters, and made them fully-developed and lifelike. Whether it is a main, or side character, each one of them will resonate with the viewer in many different ways.

The movie, however, delves into some characters more than needed. As I think there are a couple of characters' sub-plots that could have been completely cut from the script without affecting anything essential to the main plot.

The denouement was very rushed and unfocused that made me think that the movie actually run out of steam. Fortunately, the ending was quite good, if not as clever as the rest of the movie.

(7.5/10)
SolariumJan 13, 2020
A+ *************************************************************************
PerineumJan 14, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Tracy - What happened to your eye ? Paul Metzler - Or mabye I'd be dead ? Jim Macallister - Mr. Macallister someone tore down my posters, it's not fair. Can I have an A ? Can I have a recommendation ? Tammy Metzler - Catholic school was great !!!! (Written on a note to Lisa) If you died right now, I would throw myself into one of my dad's cement trucks and get poured into your tomb. Sometimes when I'm sad, I sit and watch the power station. They say if you lie between two of the main wires your body just evaporates, you become a gas. I wonder what that would feel like. Expand
Appendage7Jan 18, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When Paul is called in to the office to be told the truth about the election, his Spanish class is conjugating the verb "perder", meaning "to lose Expand
ExcommunicadoJan 19, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Aah! I was so mad at God when I broke my leg at Shadow Ridge over Christmas break. Why?! The doctors told me I'd have to quit sports for at least a couple of years, if not forever, which meant no first-string quarterback in the fall. It was like the end of my life. When I got back to school, everybody was so supportive, and they all wanted to sign my cast and everything but I still couldn't shake the feeling that now my life had no purpose. What did God want from me? Why did I exist?

Sometimes you can search everywhere for answers.Then one day, destiny just walks up and taps you on the shoulder. I know because it happened to me. Paul, can I speak toyou for a minute? Mr. McAllister changed my life.
And no matter what they say he did or did not do, I believe he is a good man.