Universal Pictures | Release Date: February 24, 2017
Generally favorable reviews based on 1440 Ratings
1,121
Watch Now
EludiumQ36Jun 13, 2017
I am so sick of all the shill reviews on this site and for this film. What the @#$% was that I just watched? The first 2/3 of the film was a Lifetime interracial romance and the final third was all M Night S'lan! Deceptively pitched as aI am so sick of all the shill reviews on this site and for this film. What the @#$% was that I just watched? The first 2/3 of the film was a Lifetime interracial romance and the final third was all M Night S'lan! Deceptively pitched as a horror film, it was a mostly boring mystery - not thriller - mystery. Jordan Peele ("Key and Peele"), who wrote/directed, got to live out his racial-retribution fantasy, good for him, but it's disgusting racism just the same. And no it's not satire, but anti-white racism, what is wrong with you people?! This should be shamed and pilloried not glorified. Again, what is WRONG with you?! Expand
fenrisheroFeb 24, 2017
When I first saw the previews for this movie, I thought 'I'm sure Jordan Peele is using the tone of overt racism to make a more interesting point.' I was not disappointed. He sets you up with a barrage of left jabs that started in how theWhen I first saw the previews for this movie, I thought 'I'm sure Jordan Peele is using the tone of overt racism to make a more interesting point.' I was not disappointed. He sets you up with a barrage of left jabs that started in how the trailers were cut and how the movie plays through most of it's length, and then he delivers a stunning right hook in the major twist of the film. Great portrayals from everyone and a movie that will make you want to watch it again to find the hidden threads that you should've seen and foreshadow what's to come. Expand
MikefromAngusMar 1, 2017
I loved the trailer! that's why I went to see the movie. But heres the problem, the whole movie is just like the trailer. if you seen the trailer? then you seen the whole movie. theres was ONLY ONE small twist in the whole movie, everythingI loved the trailer! that's why I went to see the movie. But heres the problem, the whole movie is just like the trailer. if you seen the trailer? then you seen the whole movie. theres was ONLY ONE small twist in the whole movie, everything else was predictable. I was looking for more depth in the story. Overall a very big disappointment. Expand
BladeBitMar 22, 2017
What a **** film, everything was entirely predictable. Nobody I saw this with was as impressed as all the critics are saying. How this film is unique enough to garner all this praise is beyond me. Apart from it's "muh racism" message it isWhat a **** film, everything was entirely predictable. Nobody I saw this with was as impressed as all the critics are saying. How this film is unique enough to garner all this praise is beyond me. Apart from it's "muh racism" message it is completely forgettable. Expand
19 of 49 users found this helpful1930
marco34laFeb 25, 2017
What an absolute piece of garbage this was. It was SLOW as can be and then turned into the most ridiculous storyline ever. READ THE USER REVIEWS . The critics sold-us out on this one probably for fear of being called racist.
moviegoer1944Feb 26, 2017
Worst movie ever. Another attempt to blur racial lines. The black man is hero, white people are bad and the genetic and sexual stereotype myth is shamelessly brought out. Wanted to walk out in the first 15 minutes.
mikemccallisterApr 30, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a big horror/thriller fan so I intentionally avoided reading anything about "Get Out" prior to watching because I like to be totally surprised.

From the very first scene of the movie it pile-drives the viewer with racial tensions so heavily, with no nuance, that for the first twenty minutes I was expecting a really clever twist later in the film. I figured it was all misdirection for a huge plot twist. However, after about 45 minutes I started realizing that maybe it wasn't trying to be clever and was simply playing it straight. Although I held out hope for a major twist it became obvious that the "twist" was going to be that the girlfriend was part of the family cult, and I was very disappointed to be right.

"Get Out" reveals itself to be, in the final analysis, just a middling thriller. I was shocked to discover that it had received almost universal acclaim. In my honest opinion, this film is only receiving high marks because of either blind racial solidarity or the fear of being labeled a racist by writing a less-than-glowing review. It's a competent production - it looks great and has a cool soundtrack - but the actual plot is so flimsy that its attempts at satire are weak. I can't imagine why anyone honestly thinks that this film is anything other than a mediocre popcorn-muncher that just so happens to include a hot-button political issue in its premise.

Daniel Kaluuya gives a great performance as does LilRel Howery. If it wasn't for them, this movie wouldn't even have been worth watching. I was disappointed in Catherine Keener's performance; I've admired her past work but here she just phones it in. The rest of the cast was so boring they're not even worth mentioning.

My favorite part of the movie was when Walter, the groundskeeper, came running out of the darkness at Chris. It was so strange and off-putting that it made the hair on my arms stand up! That's the kind of stuff you hope for in a horror film but sadly those moments were in short supply. The other parts that were supposed to be "odd" were just forced and cringe-worthy (for instance: Georgina's near-meltdown when her and Chris have their one-on-one conversation).

"Get Out" is too hollow to be considered profound and too self-indulgent to be considered good entertainment. However, I think that the director has the talent to someday make a film that lives up to his vision.
awalJul 30, 2017
It's not that the emperor has no clothes, but he may only be wearing a tshirt and shorts. Part of the problem was certainly due to the fact that I saw this on video after the hype and critical reaction had been built so high that it couldn'tIt's not that the emperor has no clothes, but he may only be wearing a tshirt and shorts. Part of the problem was certainly due to the fact that I saw this on video after the hype and critical reaction had been built so high that it couldn't possibly have lived up to its 87 Metacritic score and 99% Rotten Tomatoes score. If you like your social satire to be "hit-you-over-the head" (repeatedly and literally) obvious, then this might be the movie for you. I guess knowing Jordan Peele's other work, I shouldn't have expected "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner," but I did expect maybe an ounce or two of character development and nuance. This doesn't have that. All the tropes have been done before (did you know that white people play lacrosse and like to ask black people about the NBA?).

That said, there are plenty of things to like about this movie. The acting is pretty solid (with the exception of Catherine Keener). Daniel Kaluuya is fantastic. Allison Williams, despite a pretty weak track record, holds up her role with aplomb. Milton "LilRel" Howery steals the show with his role as the comic relief/truth teller. Peele's direction does a fantastic job with capturing the creepiness inherent in the setup. It's worth a watch when it makes it to HBO or Netflix, but you may be upset if you shell out the $6 or $7 to see it on PPV.
AkumaJackAug 8, 2017
Get out is not bad, but neither is good.
It doesn't know what it wants to be. Imo it shines when it tries to be a satirical comedy with horror tints, like one of those trash horror movies that try to convey a message.
Too bad it happens
Get out is not bad, but neither is good.
Too bad it happens rarely, most of the time it tries to be scary, without being it. It can't even be a thriller because the director spoiled the "Truth" in the first five minutes of the film, so you don't get the feeling of discovering the bad guys or something like that.

If it was a black (pun intended) humor comedy with horror tints in a slasher way it would've been awesome (every scene with lil rel howery is great), but when they try to sell you this thriller-esque "Who knows whats going on here and if there is something to fear" it is just pointless because you already know.
Tony1984Jul 2, 2017
Firstly this is a misclassified as a horror,it's a mystery and it begins very very well like M Night Shyamalan at his best.The 'Guess who's coming to dinner with foreboding vibe' is a novel touch The middle third was M Night at his not soFirstly this is a misclassified as a horror,it's a mystery and it begins very very well like M Night Shyamalan at his best.The 'Guess who's coming to dinner with foreboding vibe' is a novel touch The middle third was M Night at his not so best. A weird 'Stepford Wifish' party of upper class whites micro-aggressing like no tomorrow. The last third let the whole movie down. I could have written it better myself on the back of an envelope on my home on the subway. Pity, this had potential. Expand
LouLou2018Jan 13, 2018
This movie is bizarre and horrifying, though not in the right way. Left us feeling very flat and disappointed
jbrown8989Jun 18, 2017
I went in with high expectations which is probably why I ended up rating it low. The movie started out slow but picked up towards the end. The writing was good but I felt that Daniel Kaluuya mumbled in certain scenes. My recommendation is toI went in with high expectations which is probably why I ended up rating it low. The movie started out slow but picked up towards the end. The writing was good but I felt that Daniel Kaluuya mumbled in certain scenes. My recommendation is to go in with no expectation and you will enjoy it. Expand
gogogo21Jun 3, 2017
Contrary to the many takes and reviews that this movie has received, this movie is neither enlightening, fresh or most importantly, entertaining as a whole. The most dissappointing aspect of the movie is that the director actually succeeds inContrary to the many takes and reviews that this movie has received, this movie is neither enlightening, fresh or most importantly, entertaining as a whole. The most dissappointing aspect of the movie is that the director actually succeeds in capturing the proper mood of eeriness that hooks the interest of the audience when watching a movie of this category. Unfortunately, the movie crashes and burns when all the pieces start coming together - or rather does NOT come together. The symbolism comes hard and heavy, and many audiences will already know the racial undertones that the plot conveys. It is actually solidly acted with all the actors going full bore into their respective characters, and the story creates the mood of off kilter discomfort very well when it comes to the interactions between the straight laced protagonist and the surrounding cast.

However the movie devolves into a series of illogical missteps that completely undermines the intent of the movie. Nothing is more dissapointing than seeing a movie start off with great promise and anticipation for a satisfying conclusion, than to see it totally fall apart at the wheels no sooner than the start of the second act, and this is precisely when this movie loses its appeal completely.

Serious, possibly thought provoking situations foreshadowed at the start of the movie break down into outright buffoonery more akin to a Wayans brothers Scary Movie plot. One particular development is a shark-jumping moment that makes the movie go from psychological thriller to full on science fiction. Many of these twists and the direction that the movie goes into seem to have been to make a symbolic or overt social commentary, something I understand is a point the film is attempting to create. However, the method is clumsy and ridiculously heavy handed. The most disappointing part is that the commentary is on point - but the sacrifice made to story, plot and logic is so insulting to the audience that the imagery is dulled to an afterthought. Many guides to the hidden meanings of this film exist, but as a movie watcher, should we really need to have a guide book to a story in order for it to make any semblance of sense?

I am fairly harsh on this movie because it is one of those films where the initial plot is interesting enough to capture you, you invest your time to learn more, and the result is a slap in the face. You feel cheaply tricked by the time the end credits roll. Most importantly, the subject matter that this movie explores deserves quite a bit more than this schlock.
jaxsrj10Jan 19, 2018
I went into this movie with high expectations and was thoroughly disappointed. This was the most overrated piece of junk I have ever scene. Hmmm let me guess a movie written by a black film maker where predictably the hero is black, the whiteI went into this movie with high expectations and was thoroughly disappointed. This was the most overrated piece of junk I have ever scene. Hmmm let me guess a movie written by a black film maker where predictably the hero is black, the white people are all evil and everyone is supposed to completely ignore the onesidedness of any attempt at social commentary. But beyond that the movie just wasn't very funny, very interesting or very scary. The only reason critics are praising this is to not get called a racist and to avoid being swept away by the wave of "Oscars so white." It would be refreshing AND TRULY SURPRISING for a black film maker to make a movie, any movie, where the central theme wasn't racism, now THAT would be noteworthy. I won't hold me breath. Until black film makers embrace the fact that they are more than just spokesman for the black race as a whole, that they can convey ideas beyond "being black" they will never produce anything that we won't see coming a mile away. Expand
GittoploDec 11, 2017
Sad and pathetic rip-off of Skeleton Key. Poor acting, predictable plot, little suspense and practically zero scares. Critics clearly had too much tea praising this dud. I am looking at you Mark Kermode.
CriticFerJan 18, 2018
I'm not someone who likes to see horror films but this wasn't that scary or funny. It's fine, the movie's fine but is not a movie that needs to be in the awards seasons. Still, there's great acting, good cinematography, good music, some funnyI'm not someone who likes to see horror films but this wasn't that scary or funny. It's fine, the movie's fine but is not a movie that needs to be in the awards seasons. Still, there's great acting, good cinematography, good music, some funny jokes and decent directing and writing, is just not my thing. Expand
DrBo6Feb 14, 2018
This movie's score is so inflated that I decided to create an account to counter it. Overall, this is a very mediocre, if not bad, movie.

The movie has a great cast and is technically well made, but to enjoy either you have to get past a ridiculously dumb and incredibly predictable plot. It's listed as a horror movie but it never actually gets scary as the premise is just too far-fetched. For some reason it tries to do jump scares and even gore towards the end but never does it manage to be effective. Sure, the characters create a suspenseful atmosphere but it never manages to create any suspension of disbelief. I read other reviews that mention plot twists but I have no idea what they are talking about. Everything plays out in the most predictable manner.

As far as the social commentary goes, the movie depicts a world in which every white person cannot avoid making racial remarks for one second. I guess it fits the ridiculous premise, but I found it hard to draw any parallels to reality because of how grotesque the narrative is.

While it is watchable, it is very difficult to take seriously. Come on; there's even a scene in which a character summarizes the plot to outsiders and everybody just laughs at him because it is utterly ridiculous.
sandbornFeb 28, 2017
A lousy set up with a solid and clever last 30 minutes. The first hour is full of cringe-worthy dialogue with every white person acting as a caricature. It drags so much to get to the point, I thought I was going to leave. But when the planA lousy set up with a solid and clever last 30 minutes. The first hour is full of cringe-worthy dialogue with every white person acting as a caricature. It drags so much to get to the point, I thought I was going to leave. But when the plan is revealed and set into motion, it becomes an engrossing thriller. As a first time director, Jordan Peele does a pretty good job; but his screenwriting needs a bit of work. Expand
JP32Jun 24, 2018
This has to be the most ass-backwards anti-racism movie ever made. It's not a call for understanding, it's a paranoid revenge fantasy, and it made me sick to my stomach.
ChesterFTOFJan 15, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Generally considered one of the best movies of 2017, it’s rather safe to name ‘Get Out’ as the best horror film of the year. It’s only real competition would be ‘IT’, maybe ‘mother!’ (it’s proven to be rather divisive), and if you want to count it as a horror film, ‘The Shape of Water’. Excluding IT, there is actually a theme linking these recent horror successes. They each have more to them than simply being scary. Whether it be a message you can interpret, dazzling visuals or splashes of comedy, they each bring something else to the table.

Directed, surprisingly enough, by Jordan Peele, famous for his hilarious sketch comedy, Get Out is a genuine surprise. Based on the director, I’d made the assumption that this film would be a generic horror comedy, presumably relishing in over-the-top jumpscares and gore. Instead, what I found myself watching was somewhat of a mystery. Jordan Peele himself said that the film ‘can’t be put into a genre box’, and he’s right; it could arguably be a horror film, a suspenseful thriller, a comedy, a mystery or a pretentious commentary of race relations in America. Mercifully, I didn’t interpret it as the latter.

Originally conceived following Barack Obama’s second election, the film tackles a subject of race-relations rarely noticed: the opposite of racism. And I’m not talking about ‘reverse-racism’. Many white characters in this film actually love black people so much, they want to become them. Knowing it was written during Obama’s second term, that makes sense. Watching it now, with President Trump in office, gives it a different spin. Regardless of how you interpreted the antagonists, they were probably the most ‘human’ villain in horror in recent memory. Ignoring some questionable science, they were depressingly human.

The cinematography was a pleasant surprise. Shots, while rarely astounding, strongly added to the mood. Throughout the film, they felt as though they were getting closer, until we are unable to escape the situation we’ve been thrust into. Also, at times, we can see background characters watching our protagonist without his knowledge. Tension is present throughout, whether it be due to a nervous comment we aren’t sure how to react to, or somebody brandishing a weapon, the audience can rarely relax, leaving you tired when the credits roll.

The characters are each rather interesting. Obviously, the family is all rather one-note, but they play that one note so sweetly, I can’t bring myself to complain. The exception to this is Rose (Allison Williams). This character shifts so jarringly, I briefly thought it was someone else in her body. Daniel Kaluuya’s portrayal of Chris was also wonderful, and rather believable. Ultimately, the featured roles stole the show, however. Both Marcus Henderson and Keith Stanfield were brilliant, but Betty Gabriel’s Georgina was flawless. While the ‘saying things in an overly happy way to be creepy’ trope has been played out a bit, the cast in this film manage to make it unsettling again.

My main issue with the film is that it doesn’t seem to think the audience is particularly bright. Much of the racial ‘undertones’ are forced upon us, lest we miss the point of the film. There’s also occasional recaps of past events in conversations between Rose and Chris. The audience doesn’t need to be told why something is awkward, or strange; we can work it out. It’s both more rewarding for the viewer, and saves time in the film. This comes to a head when Chris finally works out what’s going on. We see literal flashbacks to previous events, as though we’d have somehow forgotten the things we’d seen half an hour prior.

With that said, however, it does highlight something that pleases me greatly. This is a mystery you can actually solve if you’re paying attention. It’s teased earlier in the film that the family’s grandfather was not only a runner, but that he lost to a black man. It’s not too large a leap to find the character’s envy. Perhaps others are like this? We also learn the parents’ occupations rather early, too. The party scene is utterly littered with clues, to the point of it becoming painfully obvious looking back.

To conclude, I feel this film was an exceptionally successful film. With a budget of merely 4.5 million dollars, Jordan Peele has told not only a highly enjoyable horror (or thriller, or comedy..) film, but an interesting commentary on society today. It also manages to avoid persecuting the viewer, regardless of their race, as I feared it may end up doing. I am quite happy giving this a high 8/10. If you’re looking for an alternative to a crowd-pleasing horror film such as ‘IT’, I recommend Get Out. At the moment, the film has made a profit of 250 million dollars at the box office, and it deserves every one of them.
zedzdedMay 3, 2017
This has to be one of the most overrated movies of all time. It's got an identity crisis, it doesn't know if it wants to be a horror or a comedy or a racial commentary and it fails in all three.

The horror isn't very scary, the comedy is

The horror isn't very scary, the comedy is sparse and the racial commentary amounts to 'man, white people say dumb **** over and over and over again.

The major premise of the white people's motivation doesn't add up and as others have said it takes over an hour before it's revealed what the plot of the movie is.

If, like me, you're not from the US, you're going to find this agonizing over the correct way to behave to black people really tiresome too.

In it's favour, some of the acting is pretty good. I recommend to avoid.
MetasomaMar 2, 2019
Had no idea what this film is about, never seen the trailer. Was actually stunned after watching, how is this was nominated for Oscars? And won? It's garbage.
NikolayGMar 2, 2018
A mediocre B horror flick with a dumb ending. Mediocre because lots of stuff thrown into the movie is just a diversion and has nothing whatsoever to do with the plot. It's there only to trick you and is left as a hanging thread neverA mediocre B horror flick with a dumb ending. Mediocre because lots of stuff thrown into the movie is just a diversion and has nothing whatsoever to do with the plot. It's there only to trick you and is left as a hanging thread never explained. And in the end the answer to what's really going on is just ridiculous and kind of cliche. I thought the director was M. Night Shyamalan, that's how bad it is. But it turns out the director is black, and that I suspect explains the positive reviews. It's celebration is about political correctness. And so people conjure grand statements about how the movie is a commentary on racism, when it's nothing more than a mildly entertaining, unoriginal, long drawn out substandard Twilight Zone episode. It makes no sophisticated point about anything, and it doesn't work well as a drama or story. But it will keep you occupied as you empty your bag of popcorn. Expand
LaineyFeb 28, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. GET OUT is an absolutely downright excellent horror film. Brilliant pacing, & acting.

BUT - reverse the races in GET OUT and we'd have a complete *outcry* against this movie being nominated for BEST PICTURE in 2018's Oscars.

[ SPOILER ALERT ]

The slow, methodical physical and sexual torture white people (including some Asians) vote in this film to perform on a black man because he decided to share a white family's home equally so - proving the dear love he had with a white woman was and will always be fake - coupled with the black man's final resolution of the only way out is a complete slaughter of the whites and then slow, determined strangulation of the white girl who dated him..

.. Excuse me?

Switch the races --

If that were a white man visiting a black family --- a Caucasian man visiting an African American family and dating that African American family's daughter --- and the black family did the torturing of the white man .... resulting in black (instead of white) executions, capped beautifully off with a white man's slow strangulation of a young black woman to free himself from her and her black clan's clutches. Okay - would that be offered as Oscar's BEST PICTURE OF THE YEAR ?

An uproar at the very least would be thrown against this heralding of a white man killing African Americans to purportedly escape from the black man's clutches, and the slow strangulation of an African American woman justifiably and rightfully so it can never happen again; that should not be a Best OSCAR Picture of the Year.

Then -- why is this nominated for OSCAR Best Picture of the Year?

Oh I guess since they're whites being killed off and strangled it's okay.

Best horror film - fine. "Best Picture of the Year" .. wow.

Though as noted an amazing horror film in pacing and acting, its twisted racial abuse and senseless killing storyline makes me give this a 1.
PeterAlexanderJul 18, 2017
Get Out is mysterious, tense and at times downright haunting. Aside from the political commentary that it is, Get Out is simply a great film. One scene involving the game of bingo was particularly chilling and represents the true creepinessGet Out is mysterious, tense and at times downright haunting. Aside from the political commentary that it is, Get Out is simply a great film. One scene involving the game of bingo was particularly chilling and represents the true creepiness of the film. Don't expect to watch this and have a fun time. Expand
joskeprotMay 17, 2017
This was a long and boring movie. Every 'scary scene' was predictable. The midpoint didn't build anything up to the climax, the climax was just a few scenes with a lot of blood.
The reason pleople rated this movie high is because they are
The reason pleople rated this movie high is because they are afraid to be called racist if they don't...
qamasterApr 26, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretty mediocre movie. In the beginning it was a little intriguing, and then the intrigue began to be gradually delayed until I got bored. But most of all I was disappointed by the ending. What kind of doctor is this - he already cut the patient's head and threw half of his skull into the rubbish bin, while the donor was still watching TV in the other room. Expand
theirrelephantsJan 4, 2019
Literal trash. Will probably piss off any white person who doesn't hate themselves.
coatoan90Mar 14, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What do you get when you mix Body Snatchers+The Stepford Wives+Racial tension? Get out. The film as you can guess is pretty unoriginal in it's attempt to be a story. I really don't have much positive to say about the movie, I wasn't scared, I wasn't in "Suspense". The premise of the movie is that it leads you to believe that "These perfect white liberals are kidnapping black people to turn them into sex slaves". And like an M night shyamalan twist, it turns out they are actually "Body Snatching" black people. I say rent it when it comes out on DvD, I mean it's an "Ok" movie, but nothing to really get out and go to theaters about. Expand
RexReReadJan 5, 2018
The fact that the liberal media has pandered incessantly to this horrible B movie makes it insulting that it is still carrying a 99% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Not only is this movie slow , predictable and poorly staged, it is filled withThe fact that the liberal media has pandered incessantly to this horrible B movie makes it insulting that it is still carrying a 99% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Not only is this movie slow , predictable and poorly staged, it is filled with anti-white, racist cliches and messages. The idealist trust funded, post grad crowd that is lauding this film, is the same audience that the movie is making a mockery of throughout. Can you pseudo intellectual idiots not see a slam in your face when you see it? And how can you not view the film as racist? Expand
LordFAFAApr 29, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Acting and casting is pretty good but the whole racist thing isn't necessary at all. Have the idea that they did that just to create a buzz. They could've done the story without the racial issue and then it would've been less predictable and better IMO. At one moment I had the feeling I was watching a comedy ("Get em grandpa!") The maiden was scary AF though. Expand
derekjaypostFeb 11, 2020
It's a must see if your a racist. Zero for creativity and zero for being racist.
annbdJul 14, 2018
Love ittt. You should watch Get out. You will almost certainly like it. There is a little bit of horror, but that won't be a problem even for people who's favorite genre is soo not horror. The story is fine, precise work. Actors were amazingLove ittt. You should watch Get out. You will almost certainly like it. There is a little bit of horror, but that won't be a problem even for people who's favorite genre is soo not horror. The story is fine, precise work. Actors were amazing in this. There were also flaws and that's why I give 8/10. They could have shown more of the story, more details, but that's not a big deal. Expand
IntelligentdudeOct 19, 2019
Very average, very boring movie what seems low budget and incredibly predictable. They seem to hand out Oscars willy nilly these days. The acting acting is terrible and it's very slow to get going, I actually asked for my money back at theVery average, very boring movie what seems low budget and incredibly predictable. They seem to hand out Oscars willy nilly these days. The acting acting is terrible and it's very slow to get going, I actually asked for my money back at the cinema as it truly insulted my intelligence. If you value your time and money avoid this at all costs. Expand
SEROJJul 13, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't think the movie is overrated. The plot was intense and interesting and i liked how it developed. A movie that no paranoid should watch. The racism was a bit too much though (for both sides). I hated that they didn't show what happened to Andre afterwards. Expand
JJJDec 16, 2017
The first two thirds of the movie are an intense, taut thriller (with some humor). My heart was pounding and I was actually yelling 'Get Out!' There is a menace hiding under the so-called nice people. The brother character was sufficientlyThe first two thirds of the movie are an intense, taut thriller (with some humor). My heart was pounding and I was actually yelling 'Get Out!' There is a menace hiding under the so-called nice people. The brother character was sufficiently scary, the parents - definitely creepy. Everyone else - WTF is going on? But, what a hugely disappointing ending. The ending resorted to pure trope horror crap. Unique concept = Lost with this un-unique unoriginal ending. Did I switch channels and find the ending to a different movie? Did the same writer who wrote the first 2/3rds write this stupid ending? Did the writer just give up? Did the producers decide they needed chopped body parts and 'fight to the death' scenes and re-write the ending? The writer should have found a much smarter resolution, in keeping with the rest of the movie. Too bad. Expand
eyalbentancurApr 3, 2019
The movie was just not good, I am really tired of **** movies being over glorified by hacks and shills.. The whole m night shyamalan last 3rd of the movie sucked bad and illogical.
Just avoid this mess and go watch the blob (1988), now that
Just avoid this mess and go watch the blob (1988), now that is a kickass horror flick.
DaddyPoppeJul 29, 2020
Worst horror movie I have ever seen.
Teletubbies are way scarier than this boring movie
arrivistOct 12, 2019
This is a stupid person's idea of what an intelligent film is like. It is fairly entertaining for the most part.
JPKJun 14, 2019
Excellent Horror Film
Get Out proves that Jordon Peele can direct a really damn great movie.
Mooseboy999Feb 26, 2018
Really disappointed. Following glowing reviews from some of my most trusted critics, this left me totally cold. From a very lightweight plot to hammy acting during the final 3rd, I was left genuinely gutted.
Dingo21Jun 29, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Il film è fantastico con una regia di Peele, nuovo nel mondo del genere horror/thriller, fantastica veramente curata e senza sbavature. Il punto forte del film non è la trama abbastanza intuibile dopo le scene dell'asta bensì il ritmo e le colonna sonora che si fanno rispettivamente più intenso e cupa col trascorrere del film. Mai visto prima un horror che ponesse così tanta ansia e inquietudine allo spettatore. Film consigliatissimo, l'ideale sarebbe vederlo da soli magari dinotte Expand
Destruct_Mar 7, 2020
Get out is scray funny and great movie in many ways the movie is not perfect but i recommend it
BouleApr 26, 2020
So much for the thriller suspense and horror with a message. What a joke.
It is a eugenic tale about black superiority (sport, sex) over white people.
mulderdogFeb 25, 2017
I don't get the bad reviews. Trolls ? I don't even love horror movies and like the critics said , it's a solid B, easily. Solid acting, funny, scary, some great comments regarding racism.It's not high art, but the negative reviews are WAYI don't get the bad reviews. Trolls ? I don't even love horror movies and like the critics said , it's a solid B, easily. Solid acting, funny, scary, some great comments regarding racism.It's not high art, but the negative reviews are WAY off. ignore them. Expand
EbtehalAug 14, 2017
i absolutely hated this movie. it was so slow,boring and predictable. its like they wanted to make a horror movie where black people survive and white people die just so they could break the cycle, but they ended up making a complete garbagei absolutely hated this movie. it was so slow,boring and predictable. its like they wanted to make a horror movie where black people survive and white people die just so they could break the cycle, but they ended up making a complete garbage with a content fit for a comedy not a horror movie. and to be honest its wrong to call it a horror movie. its a thriller at best.
complete waste of time.
AaronZweibergDec 28, 2017
This movie is racist all right. Only it's racist towards whites, not blacks. How else should one interpret the movie where all blacks are positive (or at least neutral) characters, while all whites are negative ones? Not to mention episodesThis movie is racist all right. Only it's racist towards whites, not blacks. How else should one interpret the movie where all blacks are positive (or at least neutral) characters, while all whites are negative ones? Not to mention episodes of subtle racist comments about whites being thrown here and there. I can't even imagine what would happen if the director switched all the skin colors there. He would probably never make a movie again. It seems that whites in America are extremely repressed nowadays and everyone accepts that. Expand
FreddJan 4, 2018
It is a horrible movie, i dont understand why the people like this film....
iandizion713Feb 25, 2017
An awesome and refreshing movie. Its good to see a movie go back to being what movies actually are, motion with dialogue. Most movies forget about the motion and just focus on dialogue. It was a blast and left me cheering and extremelyAn awesome and refreshing movie. Its good to see a movie go back to being what movies actually are, motion with dialogue. Most movies forget about the motion and just focus on dialogue. It was a blast and left me cheering and extremely satisfied at the end. Expand
lololee13Mar 2, 2017
This was a refreshing and accelerating movie. I went into this movie with no expectations because I didn't want to be disappointed due to the overwhelming hype surrounding the movie. Get Out for me wasn't a horror flick but a psychologicalThis was a refreshing and accelerating movie. I went into this movie with no expectations because I didn't want to be disappointed due to the overwhelming hype surrounding the movie. Get Out for me wasn't a horror flick but a psychological thriller shrouded in social commentary about the perceptions and stereotypes people of different races have of each other. Some may find the beginning of this movie to be rather slow because it focuses on character development which for me was a good thing. I found the pace of the movie seemed to flow from scene to scene and I was never bored. I thought every character in the movie held their own and gave great and believable performance particularly the lead actor (Daniel Kaluuya)who played Chris. I felt the lead actor and his co-star(Allison Williams)who played Rose Armitage his girlfriend had a natural chemistry which, drew me into their characters. I loved Chri friend played by comedian(LilRel Howery)who starred as Rod Williams the TSA Agent, who provided the comic relief to the movie. Rose's parents Missy and Dean were odd none to say the lease and added to the thrill of the movie along with the two black employees who were just strange. The other character I won't name only added to the strangeness of the story which was fun to watch. Now I don't understand how the user rating on this site aren't higher but, I can only suspect that either those people, who gave the movie anywhere from a 0 to a 3 didn't watch the movie and are planting fake reviews or they are alt-right Trump supporters with an agenda. Any time you write a review with details that have nothing to do with the story line and then throw in some political B.S to cap off your review you're full of "bleep." Now, I will say that those who genuinely didn't take to the movie felt the movie was either predictable, too slow, or had an issue with the end of the movie. Those reviews I can understand but I can't get behind some of the fake reviews that were created to out of spite just to lower the movies overall high score and positive user movie reviews. There are commenters on this site with a shady political agenda and that's unfortunate but don't allow those comments to detour you from seeing this absolutely fun and engaging film. I'm giving this movie a 10. So if you have the time and some spare cash grab a friend and go see Get Out. Expand
BrianMcCriticFeb 24, 2017
I had a blast with this film. The biting commentary isn't your typical racist view. In the end this film has the perfect blend of horror and comedy. A
johndoe2014Feb 25, 2017
Great movie. The high level of creativity from Key and Peele is here on display. Super smart movie. And scary and funny!!!! and a satisfying ending (no sequel set up).
ourtimehascomeNov 27, 2017
Get Out is a typical thriller, though it fails to capture honest suspense. Instead, the anxiety is fueled by racist questions like, "Why are there so many white people?" & "Why don't the black people act like obvious black stereotypes?" TheGet Out is a typical thriller, though it fails to capture honest suspense. Instead, the anxiety is fueled by racist questions like, "Why are there so many white people?" & "Why don't the black people act like obvious black stereotypes?" The characters are unfunny and unrelatable, including the fat friend used as comic relief. Jordan Peele chooses to ignore important questions of race, and would rather provide heavy-handed commentary about misappropriation. It's at times trite, ridiculous, and blatantly unoriginal. It's The Stepford Wives with black people. It's Invasion of the Body Snatchers without the fascinating philosophical questions about humanity. And the worst part is, if it didn't talk about black people no one would care about this hackneyed disaster. Expand
dplFeb 26, 2017
Excellent mix of suspense/horror, humor, and social allegory. Excellent cast as well. Had my wife, daughter, and I discussing/debating all throughout dinner after movie. I can't wait for Peele's next project.
JazGalaxyJul 14, 2017
Get out is brilliant in it's ability to show audiences something they have never quite seen before. Even the few who will predict the "what" will likely never be able to predict the "why". And the "how" is incredibly entertaining to watch.Get out is brilliant in it's ability to show audiences something they have never quite seen before. Even the few who will predict the "what" will likely never be able to predict the "why". And the "how" is incredibly entertaining to watch. Peele manages to hinge the film on not one reveal, but multiple, which teases the fun out over the run time of the film. The only thing that keeps me from giving Get Out a "10" is that once the reveals are done with, the movie began to drag for me. This encompasses the last 15 minutes, or so, of the film. Expand
mavasquezFeb 20, 2018
Watched “ Get Out “ on tv, just by chance on a Sat afternoon much before the trailers and media hype came out ( 1/18 ?). I had never heard of it, my impression was it was a B suspense movie, I didn’t take it seriously as a piece of art. MuchWatched “ Get Out “ on tv, just by chance on a Sat afternoon much before the trailers and media hype came out ( 1/18 ?). I had never heard of it, my impression was it was a B suspense movie, I didn’t take it seriously as a piece of art. Much to my surprise, I was shocked that it could receive a nomination. Expand
Tss5078Mar 26, 2017
It's the new movie everyone is talking about and critics are raving about, as for me, I couldn't wait to get out...of the theater. Guess who's coming to dinner? It's a black man coming home to a rich suburban white families house for theIt's the new movie everyone is talking about and critics are raving about, as for me, I couldn't wait to get out...of the theater. Guess who's coming to dinner? It's a black man coming home to a rich suburban white families house for the weekend, and despite their black servants, they're extremely nice to their daughters new boyfriend, too nice, something weird is going on. Yes, something weird is going on, only Chris Washington (Daniel Kaluuya) is too stupid to realize it! He's so deeply in love with his girlfriend of all of four months, that not only can't he see what's going on right in front of his face, but he doesn't try to talk to her about it, he doesn't try to investigate any of it, he just sort of goes with the flow. People are raving about this noir thriller, when it is one of the most poorly written films I've seen in a while. Major plot holes aside for the moment, there is absolutely no character development, no chemistry between the actors, and worst of all they don't even reveal the main plot until twenty minutes before the thing is over! Yes, it's weird, yes, something is going on, but the writers don't even hint at what that is! They don't even give us a chance to figure out what it could possibly be. At first it was interesting and I was hoping there would be clues to help us figure out what might be going on, that maybe Chris would find evidence or over hear something, but no such luck. Maybe there could have been a scene without him, that gave us some insight, there was absolutely nothing until the very end, when it was all thrust into our faces and even then it really didn't make a whole lot of sense. Without giving anything away, they never answer the fundamental question, why black people? I never liked traditional noir, but at least most of the time the acting is good and you have some idea of what's going on. This film is just one big circle of confusion and to be honest with you, aside from some terrific comic relief, I hated every minute of it. Expand
jaybob2kMar 12, 2017
It wasn't funny. It wasn't scary. It just wasn't. I'm not sure what the critics were watching. The racist innuendos were typical and overused similar to "One of my best friends is black." Don't waste your money.
JWYSSMar 13, 2017
Not Impressed.
Racist and Stupid.
Add the plot has been done before many times over in a hundred ways. If you saw the trailer you saw the whole movie.
ianbenoirMay 24, 2017
Good acting but won't change the main fact: the story is really really bad, laughable. You wont even get jump scares, because its a stupid movie. In other words, If you try to tell the story of this movie to a friend in few words, you'llGood acting but won't change the main fact: the story is really really bad, laughable. You wont even get jump scares, because its a stupid movie. In other words, If you try to tell the story of this movie to a friend in few words, you'll understand how ridiculous it will sound. Get out and stay away from this movie. Expand
SpangleMar 7, 2017
Think about color. I do not mean race, just color. White, throughout cinema and life as a whole, has taken on a holy connotation. People are safe when they are in the light. Horror movies find their greatest tension at night, not the day.Think about color. I do not mean race, just color. White, throughout cinema and life as a whole, has taken on a holy connotation. People are safe when they are in the light. Horror movies find their greatest tension at night, not the day. Things do not go bump in the broad daylight. The light shows the truth, whereas darkness hides it and obscures it turning it into the unknown. White is safety. White lights envelope characters in a hidden suit of armor. On the other side of things, black has come to be seen as death and has a far more sinister connotation. The grim reaper wears black, witches wear black, the term black magic, and the darkness itself is black. Black is, more often than not, evil. But, it is through horror movies that these preconceived notions have always been challenged. In the tremendous horror film Psycho by Alfred Hitchcock, Marion Crane (Janet Leigh) is at her greatest danger in the light. Hitchcock, knowing that people equate white with safety, dumps his protagonist in a bright, white-lit bathroom where she quickly succumbs to the violence of Norman Bates. While horror films today still rely upon people's thoughts regarding white and black, Psycho and many other films saw an opportunity to subvert expectations and show audiences that the daylight is hardly the armor they once perceived it to be. George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead took it even a step further and it is that film that serves as the greatest influence of Jordan Peele's Get Out.

In that film, Ben (Duane Jones) is the only black character and he is also the protagonist. Alongside him are exclusively white zombies and the catatonic white girl Barbra. These portrayals served as the basis for Richard Dyer's brilliant series of essays entitled, White. In these pieces, Dyer argued that white and black came to mean something entirely different in Romero's film. While beforehand, white had always meant pure and holy, whereas black was the exact opposite, Night of the Living Dead changed the talking points. In the film, white came to mean death. It represented order and rigidity. White was lifelessness and, as a result, white people had become zombies. Meanwhile, black was the presence of life. No longer was black the absence of color (life), it was instead the very embodiment of it with it standing it contrast to the zombie-like portrayal of whites. That said, Dyer also asserts that we can only see this dichotomy when whites and blacks are portrayed together. In films with exclusively white casts, such as Sam Mendes' American Beauty, audiences are blind to the whiteness of the characters. The whiteness is simply who they are and audiences miss just how much the characters in films such as that resemble the same lifelessness and rigidity of the zombies in Night of the Living Dead. However, by presenting whites and blacks in contrast to one another, Get Out is able to explore the relationship between the two colors in an entirely racial context.

As is readily apparent in the film, the whites are zombies. They are hypnotized and robotic, they are the pure embodiment of order and rigidity. When Chris (Daniel Kaluuya) is in their presence, they all uniformly look at him and stare him down. Their manner of speech is very structured, their commentary predictable (I knew INSERT BLACK ATHLETE or the Obama comments), and their seemingly positive reception towards Chris feels pre-coded. Everything is artificial in this environment and while the film shows it in a humorous light, the lifelessness of this gathering of people is astounding. When the Armitage family throws their yearly party, which is on the same day every year, the entirety of the guests pull up at the same exact time. When they play bingo, everybody wins. While these people may not be zombies, they certainly act like mindless zombies who simply go through the motions of living and are merely watching themselves life.

This, of course, is why the Armitages and other white families utilize blacks. Kidnapping them or roping them in via Rose (Alison Williams), the people of this suburb use black people as vessels for life. Whether it is to live again, to see, or any number of reasons, the whites in the film recognize that the blacks have something they do not: life. Chris is the very embodiment of life. He is energetic and, though cautious about meeting her parents, in love with Rose. He is living life to the fullest at this point in his life and looking positively towards the future. Even better, he is black. Per Dyer, black represents life and this is very much the case in Get Out. His friend Rod (Lil Rey Howery) is boisterous and loud, spitting out comical lines at the speed of light. Compared to every white character in the film, this duo of black characters are full of energy. Every white character, aside from when they put up a facade to trick blacks, just float by.
zembowerboyMar 5, 2017
While it doesn't quite live up to it's overwhelming acclaim, and the trailers spoil about 90% of it, stripping the film of some of the surprise and suspense it could have had. GET OUT is nonetheless a striking debut for Jordan Peele,While it doesn't quite live up to it's overwhelming acclaim, and the trailers spoil about 90% of it, stripping the film of some of the surprise and suspense it could have had. GET OUT is nonetheless a striking debut for Jordan Peele, balancing humor, weirdness, and a lot of creepy into a hugely original package. The tonal shifts gel instead of clashing. GET OUT is most of all just a lot of fun and never boring. Expand
max1cApr 22, 2017
A fairly mediocre racist propaganda film. It's not a bad film per se but there's almost nothing good about it either. If you want to watch a good thriller/horror film I would recommend watching The Guest instead of this.
Jess_HillMay 10, 2017
This is a brilliantly inventive thriller that expertly exploits horror tropes, delivering a masterful commentary on the fear of minorities in America writ into an original story that is utterly compelling. The very best horror films exploitThis is a brilliantly inventive thriller that expertly exploits horror tropes, delivering a masterful commentary on the fear of minorities in America writ into an original story that is utterly compelling. The very best horror films exploit the anxieties of an era, becoming emblematic of their time, and Peele's sharp and oftentimes hilarious take on the complexities of black and white experiences against the backdrop of a classic cabin-in-the-woods setup is sure to become an instant classic. The pacing is careful, the soundtrack is excellent, and whilst there is some minimal gore, this is not a blood soaked slash fest, and the majority of the film is played as a tense and captivating thriller. 8.69/10 Expand
TheQuietGamerJun 29, 2017
Jordan Peele's directorial debut?! A work this polished and well-executed is something many directors who have been in the game for years fail to achieve. The performances are incredible. If Daniel Kaluuya does not get on Oscar for hisJordan Peele's directorial debut?! A work this polished and well-executed is something many directors who have been in the game for years fail to achieve. The performances are incredible. If Daniel Kaluuya does not get on Oscar for his performance here then something has gone horribly wrong. His performance as a guy who is just trying to make the best of an awkward scenario, but slowly losing his ability to as things get progressively stranger is nothing short of absolutely believable. The rest of the cast is game as well. They're manipulation and bizarre behavior set you on edge in ways few other movies can. The scenes are lovingly crafted and the choice in music that accompanies them is spot on.

It's the originality that ultimately wins the day. First time director Peele toys with your expectations in interesting ways. He's done so since before the movie even came out. The social-commentary in regards to racial tensions is something that stirred up a lot of controversy. There are people who won't even give the movie a shot as a result. Their loss. The satire not only shines light on some significant social issues, but is excellently weaved into the plot as a reason to make the main character uncomfortable with meeting his girlfriend's parents in the first place. Needless to day, partially because so many others have said it, it's not racist. Not some middle finger to white people or anything like that. But, whatever. Not gonna bother talking about it any further. People have already made up their minds on what they think this is about.

If the movie has one flaw it's that you can kind of pick out the twists before they happen. Don't get me wrong, there are still surprises in store. It's just that the big reveal as to why exactly all of this is happening is evident right before it is revealed. It was too well telegraphed to not become immediately obvious. Then there's the bit that has to do with a significant character to the plot. It was obvious what was going to happen there from the trailers. Still, plenty of weirdness and questions you'll find yourself asking (which will get answered).

The movie is essentially an awkward introduction to being introduced to the parents of a significant other. The difference from this and, say, the Ben Stiller comedy "Meet the Parents" is the horror angle. Instead of increasingly upping the humor, Get Out ups the mystery, tension, and uncomfortable nature of the events. Speaking of the humor, it's worth noting just how surprisingly funny the movie is. Most of it comes from Lil Rel Howery, the main character's best friend. He serves as the comic relief and is given some absolutely hilarious lines that are well acted. Simply put, Get Out is one heck of a horror-comedy and a stunning directorial debut from Jordan Peele. I can't get over how talented the cast is, the unique and well-shot scenes, the clever ways it plays with expectations, and just all around uniqueness. Get Out proves to be a standout in the ever crowded horror genre. It's rare these days to see a movie in this genre so well made. It's becoming more common, but still far too infrequent. The movie is simply a breath of fresh air and a clear contender for best movie of the year.

9.7/10
foxgroveMar 25, 2017
Although suspenseful and nicely paced for the most part, this suffers from having a hurriedly staged finale and a few too many loose ends. One is left wondering just how the black victim will explain the incredible events that he hasAlthough suspenseful and nicely paced for the most part, this suffers from having a hurriedly staged finale and a few too many loose ends. One is left wondering just how the black victim will explain the incredible events that he has uncovered. Also the story arc involving the investigating friend lacks credibility and causes suspension of disbelief to just keep mounting. Still, the big reveal when it arrives is a good one and there is a compelling performance by Allison Williams which nurtures the interest. Expand
TurbodowgMay 8, 2017
A very well made film with a decent plot and twist. Not as remarkable as made out by the critics but still worth a watch. Well acted, funny in places and at times disturbing. The subject of race is dealt with maturely without it becoming theA very well made film with a decent plot and twist. Not as remarkable as made out by the critics but still worth a watch. Well acted, funny in places and at times disturbing. The subject of race is dealt with maturely without it becoming the usual hating on white people nonsense. There are some deep themes juxtaposed against an over-the-top narrative. I'm looking forward to the next film the director makes. Expand
johnem95May 3, 2017
Get Out impressed me, especially with it being Jordan Peele's directorial debut. It's a confident, smart, and well-paced film with some great surprises up its sleeve to go along with a crowd-pleasing finale.
badgerryan19May 19, 2017
Fantastic film. What a gripping and compelling plot. What a refreshing horror/thriller movie in February when we usually get crap.The movie was incredibly well acted and it kept you on edge the entire time. The movie was surprisingly veryFantastic film. What a gripping and compelling plot. What a refreshing horror/thriller movie in February when we usually get crap.The movie was incredibly well acted and it kept you on edge the entire time. The movie was surprisingly very funny as well. Jordan Peele does a fantastic job on his first big film. Expand
avr50Jun 28, 2017
Get out is a good Black Mirror episode. It´s strange in the good way and sometimes you´re excited to see what happens, but the movie itself is predictable so the surprises are little. It´s a movie that in the end won´t scared you but it mightGet out is a good Black Mirror episode. It´s strange in the good way and sometimes you´re excited to see what happens, but the movie itself is predictable so the surprises are little. It´s a movie that in the end won´t scared you but it might intrigue you. Expand
The3AcademySinsDec 7, 2017
Get Out is an INCREDIBLY strong directorial premiere from Michael Peele. It's scary, tense, funny, and has a lot of great things to say about race relations in the United States without making any cliches or low blows. This movie is aGet Out is an INCREDIBLY strong directorial premiere from Michael Peele. It's scary, tense, funny, and has a lot of great things to say about race relations in the United States without making any cliches or low blows. This movie is a must-see, and I cannot wait to see what else Peele has to offer in the future! Expand
ajgseriesJun 28, 2017
This film fulfills its purpose, it keeps the audience with a constant fear. The performances are very good. This movie goes beyond the horror genre. I loved it!
FromKangaMay 27, 2017
This is one of the best horror-thriller movies I've seen in a long time.
This is one of the best horror-thriller movies I've seen in a long time.
The story is really good, they give you more and more reveals as the movie goes along, Jordan Peele has a lot to say about race but he says all this commentary without sounding pretentious or preachy, it's a movie you should know nothing about and watch it directly.

The characters were fantastic, they were all interesting and entertaining to watch and that's because the acting was perfect, the main character wasn't stupid which is a problem I have with horror movies, here he was calm and logical.

I really recommend it, the only con I have is that the ending goes a bit too far, I won't spoil anything, but it did become ridiculous to a certain point, I know it's an exageration to prove the movie's point but it was a bit distracting.
flylexMay 22, 2017
Jordan Peele really was a great director in his first production, showing abilities that many others older in the branch have not been able to do with so mastery. The film in itself is a great criticism to the racism in the United States andJordan Peele really was a great director in his first production, showing abilities that many others older in the branch have not been able to do with so mastery. The film in itself is a great criticism to the racism in the United States and the people that pemosam that not Are racist because they voted for obama or have a black friend. The first act is normal a little cliche but it is not tedious, in a short time the movie shows that something is wrong and since then the inquetación does not stop, the soundtrack helps a lot in that set She passes everything that a horror soundtrack has to have.the second act is very good it increases a lot the self theories that probably will not be certain the third act really closes in an integral way frightening and courageous together the film is great there are no execessos Daniel Kaluuya, the humor works even in this genre and the plot is Very well told and closes perfectly.note 93 Expand
mrdr4gonApr 7, 2018
A good, tense, psychological horror story brimming with satire. Looking forward to more of Peele's work as a director.
chicconate95Jun 29, 2017
Well, it must be named as cult. "get out" is simply one of the most complete and underrated movies in the last period. Suspance in the key word for this movie's success. Horror? Thriller? No, it doesn't. It is simply "Get Out". Well done.
trustyslothJan 14, 2018
We don't need more "racist historical movies" to understand the undeniable racism that still lives vividly among us. There are tons of that. But none of them portrays it as relevant and accurate as in a horror, satirical, sci-fi little movieWe don't need more "racist historical movies" to understand the undeniable racism that still lives vividly among us. There are tons of that. But none of them portrays it as relevant and accurate as in a horror, satirical, sci-fi little movie called "Get Out". In one word, "brilliant". Expand
jgzegerDec 6, 2017
This is one weird movie! I'm not sure if it is a social satire, black comedy, horror film, or all three rolled into one. Unless you really like weird, and I'm not sure that I do, I wouldn't spend time on this film.
JeanDuchampFeb 8, 2018
A wrong choice again! Seemingly better and a little more sophisticated than any conventional movie about a guest who having come into an apparently welcoming ambiance and finding himself to be up **** creek without a paddle, neverthelessA wrong choice again! Seemingly better and a little more sophisticated than any conventional movie about a guest who having come into an apparently welcoming ambiance and finding himself to be up **** creek without a paddle, nevertheless miraculously escapes skipping from one cliché to another. As it's often the case with the movies of this kind, it gives a lot of expectations at the beginning but doesn't live up to them to the end. "No, no" - I kept telling myself - "it's certainly NOT THIS kind of a movie! It seems too subtle, too intelligent, with all this decent acting, plausible characters, camera work and so on and so on, it seems to be too good to be THIS KIND of a movie. It would be too simple, too stupid if all this is only about that a lovely ambiance is, in fact, not lovely but lethal and all those nice people are not nice at all but, in fact, dangerous maniacs, psychopaths, cannibals, rippers, crazy surgeons an so on..." "No, no" - I kept telling myself when the movie waddled into its second half and some alarming signs began appearing more and more persistently, suggesting that maybe once again I'd put a little more optimism in my anticipations than premises actually required... In short - yes, IT IS this kind of a movie - standard and unimaginative. My recommendation is to stay away from it! Expand
alejandro970May 31, 2017
One of best ideas for horror genre. Unbeatable debut of director Peele; who achieves an brilliant story about hidden racism, supported by unexpected, ingenious turns from comedy to thriller, thriller to horror. Whitford and Keener remarks asOne of best ideas for horror genre. Unbeatable debut of director Peele; who achieves an brilliant story about hidden racism, supported by unexpected, ingenious turns from comedy to thriller, thriller to horror. Whitford and Keener remarks as the parents of evil. Expand
sanyamJul 29, 2017
Saw the trailer and thought they spoiled the movie by showing too much but boy was I wrong. This is a classic. Movie takes you in, makes you wonder what's gonna come next and then throws you out with the shocking twist that connects all theSaw the trailer and thought they spoiled the movie by showing too much but boy was I wrong. This is a classic. Movie takes you in, makes you wonder what's gonna come next and then throws you out with the shocking twist that connects all the pieces together. Some scenes might not make sense at first (Running of groundskeeper) but when you watch it again it will explain it all.
P.S.: A scene form trailer was not shown in the movie.
Ashwin36905Jun 4, 2017
It's funny, it's scary, it's clever and it's incredibly unique. Daniel Kaluuya finally gets the large stage to match his talent and Jordan Peele effectively delivers an important message embedded in a very good horror. It makes you laugh andIt's funny, it's scary, it's clever and it's incredibly unique. Daniel Kaluuya finally gets the large stage to match his talent and Jordan Peele effectively delivers an important message embedded in a very good horror. It makes you laugh and gives you goosebumps and it works! 7.4/10 Expand
giovannilarcettMar 10, 2017
I really loved the movie. I thought it was going to be your typical jump scare horror film. What I did not expect was the psychological thriller that it ended up being. This movie also brought with it a great blend of horror and comedy. WhichI really loved the movie. I thought it was going to be your typical jump scare horror film. What I did not expect was the psychological thriller that it ended up being. This movie also brought with it a great blend of horror and comedy. Which makes it quite unique compared to other movies in the genre. I highly recommend Get Out. Expand
whitmorgan7Mar 10, 2017
Let’s talk about the best movie of 2017 for a little bit. No, seriously, this will be the number one movie of 2017 no doubt. It’s already earned a number 1 spot on my top 10 list of 2017, and its only March. Jordan Peele is a genius. ThisLet’s talk about the best movie of 2017 for a little bit. No, seriously, this will be the number one movie of 2017 no doubt. It’s already earned a number 1 spot on my top 10 list of 2017, and its only March. Jordan Peele is a genius. This movie is genius and it deserves all of the awards and praise.

Most people are chalking this up as a movie about racism, but don’t let that deter you from seeing it(if you’re that kind of person that is). From the beginning of the movie right up until the final moments, I was sitting, quite literally, on the edge of my seat. It will be a movie that will not only entertain you, but make you think as well. It’s got a lot of a Stepford Wives feel, and a little bit of an old school horror flick feel. So basically, it is awesome. The moments leading up the end will have you not wanting to blink, there’s a slight twist which most people will see coming, but some may not. Either way, it was satisfying.

Let’s talk about how this was Jordan Peele’s directing debut! I cannot believe we have not seen more from him before this. He’s a creative genius, and now that I know he has four more movies in the works I cannot wait. I will be supporting him until the end of my life. Perhaps one of the best directed movies I have ever seen. I love the fact he teamed up with Jason Blum, as we all know is another one of my favorites. From the cinematography to the story to the actors he chose and the blunt focus on racism, it was all perfect. He wrote a story that people need to see, and one that will frighten you honestly. Hand claps for Peele! He deserves it, and if he doesn’t get nominated and WIN some sort of award for this movie, we’ll all know it’s rigged.

The actors he chose for the characters couldn’t have been better chosen. From Allison Williams as the perfect daughter, to Bradley Whitford as the caring father, to LilRel Howery as the comedic relief and awesome best friend, to our main character Daniel Kaluuya, it was all perfect.
Critic_MeisterApr 13, 2017
Get Out is an almost perfect movie. Jordan Peele showed that he is one of the best directors in the world right now, the cast was well selected and the acting was great and the script and plot were also really well written. As of now, Get OutGet Out is an almost perfect movie. Jordan Peele showed that he is one of the best directors in the world right now, the cast was well selected and the acting was great and the script and plot were also really well written. As of now, Get Out is my second favorite movie of all time, just behind Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight (the second film in the dark knight trilogy). Expand
VeldkampPhilipMar 20, 2017
Amazing movie that everyone should watch. The movie sets up the main characters brilliantly in the first half of the movie and then proceeds to flip everything on its head. Amazing plot twist that really shocked me. The horror aspects areAmazing movie that everyone should watch. The movie sets up the main characters brilliantly in the first half of the movie and then proceeds to flip everything on its head. Amazing plot twist that really shocked me. The horror aspects are quality and the acting is supreme. The whole movie made me want to see more and intrigued me greatly. Furthermore, the underlying theme is powerful. Expand
VsantosJun 17, 2017
This movie it is original, different and special.. i love everything about this movie.. It is my favorite horror movie ever... In 20 years people will use this movie like exemple to diffrent great movies.
Patrique_BrazilMay 24, 2017
The best work of Jordan Peele. Georgina is the best caracter on this movie. Love it! Watch a brazilian critic on my youtube channel:
RagnarokMikeJun 3, 2017
Excellent film. A proper suspense thriller, not relying solely on jump scares. Great performances all around, but Daniel Kaluuya particularly excels in his role. It's completely ridiculous in the best of ways. A perfect satire of casualExcellent film. A proper suspense thriller, not relying solely on jump scares. Great performances all around, but Daniel Kaluuya particularly excels in his role. It's completely ridiculous in the best of ways. A perfect satire of casual racism, and just remember people, saying there are evil white people, isn't the same as saying white people are evil. One of the best movies of it's kind this decade (and more), an instant classic. Expand
joscslJun 16, 2017
One of the most amazing satires/horror films I've ever seen! Amazing direction from Peele and terrific performances. It would make for amazing coments in the future
chrisjee1234Jun 25, 2017
What a fantastic directorial debut. Get Out is a great film, building up suspense from the very beginning and never letting you go until the very end.
FrenziedPandaH2Jul 26, 2017
Marvelous piece of acting, combined with a history about racism, and despite beeing sometimes hard to believe has a heartbraking history that makes me wanna get inside the movie to help the main character getting out that house
rubrandonmSep 5, 2017
The perfect mix of mind-boggling fear and dark humor. On Peele's first major directorial outing, he nails it. Kaluuya, Williams, and Howery stand out next to Whitford and Keener's performances.
Arkham26Jan 28, 2018
To be short, this movie is simply the best I have watched so far. It's a simple movie which you will definitely love it.
CTHReviewsFeb 5, 2018
Holy jeezums, Get Out is fantastic! I was expecting to like it and get a fun horror movie, but I wasn't expecting a horror movie on par with The Shining.

Its themes on racism are good, but I find that the themes of morality and immortality even more fascinating. What the villain(s) do is undeniably ungodly, but is it even racist? I won't go into spoilers, but this movie raises a lot of interesting questions. Can something be racist and not racist at the same time? What the villain(s) do of course is horrible, but their reasoning, though still morally wrong, can be interpreted as both racist and not racist at the same time! You can argue that them going after black people specifically is racist, but another person can argue that it's in a weird way, admiring black people... just in the most evil way possible.

Get Out messes with my head, and it is very very clever with how everything is set up and resolved.
ReginthornFeb 24, 2017
I wish more horror films were as relevant and smart as Get Out. The movie feeds off a paranoia that the majority of the United States population doesn’t experience on a regular basis. Fake smiles and awkward handling of racially chargedI wish more horror films were as relevant and smart as Get Out. The movie feeds off a paranoia that the majority of the United States population doesn’t experience on a regular basis. Fake smiles and awkward handling of racially charged conversations are masterfully put on display in the first half of the movie. The cracks in the white facade intensify at a steady pace. Uncomfortable questions or points start popping up in the viewer's mind. What is up with the eclectic decor (explicitly called out)? Why are all the black “caretakers” acting “white” on the property? Are we, as white people, really this ignorant? In short, you start to feel an entire system is out to get our protagonist. Admittedly, an early scene explicitly sets the stage up. Mainstream horror films play it safe with the usual jump scares and gory imagery. To be sure, Get Out sports a fair amount of both elements. At some point, all too shockingly familiar racism starts to out scare the traditional horror cliches. Unfortunately, several dumb horror tropes also make an appearance. For example, you have that one horror scene where you have an odd figure chopping wood. The others tropes I could list involve spoilers. The acting is consistently top notch from all involved. I only have one minor quip with the casting choice of a peripheral character. The character certainly sticks out when you notice him and the inclusion is somewhat puzzling. Overall, the subject matter more than makes up for Get Out's very minor shortcomings. How often do movies aimed at a mainstream audience have the audacity to call out whites in America? The timing of the film’s release is sadly impeccable. Racism is alive and well in our country. America "smiled" when she elected Trump as POTUS. I congratulate Jordan Peele for his impressive foray into directing. The film is dense and I certainly missed a few points on my first viewing. Expand
TrentReyFeb 24, 2017
A very dark and funny film that speaks about racism in a very creative way. This movie has a very interesting story that Jordan Peele did an outstanding job directing. This will become a horror classic.
Seymour_MoviesMar 5, 2017
Get Out is a thoroughly entertaining movie. Peele puts together a story that could easily have been overly campy and cheesy into artistic film. The acting throughout is spectacular. While I think the trailer could have been less revealing,Get Out is a thoroughly entertaining movie. Peele puts together a story that could easily have been overly campy and cheesy into artistic film. The acting throughout is spectacular. While I think the trailer could have been less revealing, the movie is definitely worth seeing. Expand
badhairdayFeb 26, 2017
It's such a shame that this film is getting crushed on user rating sites by internet tough guys because of their flawed views on race. This movie was great, suspenseful, incredibly deep and layered and the acting was top notch. Peele has hisIt's such a shame that this film is getting crushed on user rating sites by internet tough guys because of their flawed views on race. This movie was great, suspenseful, incredibly deep and layered and the acting was top notch. Peele has his own unique style of filming and I hope he has a long career especially if he keeps the quality this high. Perfect blending of thriller and comedy. The only issue I have is that aside from Chris and Mr. TSA the characters are pretty thin. All in all a great commentary and a great movie. Best movie this year so far that won't get an Oscar nomination. Expand
PipeCAug 11, 2017
Don't get out!

Don't get out!

Discrimination, in all its possible variables, is a matter of which it's possible to get very far both in extension and intellection, an issue that has touched various media in terms of attacking this puppet of such evil purposes. Basing on a sad-popular behavior such as racism in the United States of today, filmmaker Jordan Peele—who gained status by TV shows of a comic nature that with the accustomed dubious quality achieved American transcendence—presents a sour, fiery and impetuous social satire brimming with black humor with delicious psychological thriller hint that arrives in order to impact strong on a certain well-off sector thanks to a reflective tale of the big little lies that we tell each other in such a clever, effective and commercial way that might well gets it a list of meritorious titles as "cult film" or "the best suspense movie of the year" and maybe, a round of accolades for its splendid components, identical in quality, different in appearance.

Peele's feature film converges, in not few vertices, with the laudable allegorical representation ("The Invitation", 2015), highlighting as the main concomitant the essence of the true thriller: increasing discomfort and vulnerability sown in order to audience does not feel secure with what happens on the screen, which provokes in this incessant birth of perceptions toward the loaded questions posed by the story. A genre equivalent to a perverse roulette, in which in the slightest moment of carelessness, a rush of revolutions can shake your safety from head to toe. Such concordance adorned with an acute social criticism, substantial of the authentic films inaugurated by Mr. Hitchcock, in which are exhibited the poorest actions that we can come to commit. We're the black and white dots.

While it builds outstanding psychological game with detailedness, Peele, deserving of double mention acting as scriptwriter and director, conjures up ordinary components and other unusual that can be abridged in three major fields: the first one, of course, is the narrative, although, beyond wise skill of developing the subliminal core idea, it's the successful combination and harmonization between two discordant genres as horror and comedy, an impressive achievement especially in the decadent film period in which we are in. While comedy is based on the supporting comic relief gags (adversarially a black man) and the irony of the situations, it's fascinating as horror doesn't require scary monsters or spooky entities to fulfill its objective, here, terror springs up from dread and the veiled significance of the words, from confrontation with the harsh reality. The second one is plausible constituents at a technical level, namely, its mise-en-scène, soundtrack, cinematography, and photography that unite the vertiginous final act with the hesitant first act using, as usual in Jason Blum's company, precise elements that facilitate and enrich the following of the story. It's prodigious in the composition of its images, having in its power a vacation home encircled by a dry forest is not a break, on the contrary, it's sensational as they create beauty, usually in confined spaces, with what they have. With certainty, the film has conceived one of the most beautiful shots in horror film history, an oneiric picture where Chris (Kaluuya) jolts awake after a cyclic hypnosis in a pale leather sofa, with the sound effect from an old TV as the only company, his face—tremendously photographic—raises an analogy through the melodramatic tears in his exorbitant eyes, a frame that will last in the memory of any modern cinephile. There are also sparkling scenes, which reach horns of the moon in its exciting third act, highlighting vigorously camera focus in the third major factor: the overwhelming and heterogeneous performances. Kaluuya's role radiates power and strength, he's sensitive and unprotected when he needed, aggressive and lethal when everything is a disaster. The alienation of the Armitage family is dosed between the competent actors, from which stand out Allison Williams (with a twisted plot worthy of Shyamalan) and her brother in the fiction. Exclusive attention requests scene stealer Betty Gabriel, who plays a couple of shocking scenes, with dimensions of complexity and interpretative depth typical of an acting matron. Be careful because this lady and Kaluuya will present great surprises.

Conscious of its game, Peele's motion picture is a deliberate subversion, offered by the hand of cinema, which cries out for the eradication of injustices perpetuated by the social and political sects of the Trump era. It also breaks supposed barriers between genres and ideas and overflows creativity and power by creating situations as exciting as cartoon-like, as intelligent as reflexive; A satire that wasn't requested, perhaps out of fear, but in the end, it came with a relentless purpose. It achieves what many feature films don't: surprise and affect.