Buena Vista Pictures | Release Date: January 13, 2006
7.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 45 Ratings
Watch Now
BeauL.Feb 8, 2006
I liked the way this movie portrayed college basketball in a good way and how it touched the heartsof many.
KevinB.Jan 13, 2006
Bruckheimer fell into a story that even HE couldn't gunk up, though he tried valiantly to do so. When will he learn that sometimes the story stands on its own, without his ludicrous--and bombastic--additions.
JerryA.Jan 10, 2006
A typical Disney feel-good movie.
EllenZ.Mar 12, 2006
What an amazing accomplishment. I went to school with Bobby Joe Hill (the leading scorer on that championship team). And by the way, he was not from Detroit, he was from Highland Park, and went to Highland Park High School. I know, I was What an amazing accomplishment. I went to school with Bobby Joe Hill (the leading scorer on that championship team). And by the way, he was not from Detroit, he was from Highland Park, and went to Highland Park High School. I know, I was there. He was an amazing basketball player, and was the whole reason we went to our high school basketball games. He was a quiet young man, not impressed with himself or his talent as a player. But to us he was the greatest, like watching poetry in motion. I'm only sorry he didn't live to see this film made. Kudos to all those young black men, who made sports history. By the way, I'm white. God bless you Bobby Joe. You were the best, and I for one will never forget you. Expand
RalphieBoyJan 11, 2006
Saw the sneak preview last weekend. Fantastic movie with great acting by all. Texas Western now renamed Texas at El Paso did as much for the black college athelete as Jackie Robinson did in professional basketball. This team came from Saw the sneak preview last weekend. Fantastic movie with great acting by all. Texas Western now renamed Texas at El Paso did as much for the black college athelete as Jackie Robinson did in professional basketball. This team came from absolutely nowhere to capture the NCAA Men's Basketball Title against racist all white Kentucky led by legendary coach Adoph Rupp. Pat Riley was the star of that team. Make sure to stay after the credits start rolling to see the actual players, Pat Riley and Coach Haskins address the audience as well as the actual team in action that won the title. Fantastic movie that is on the money. Enjoy. Expand
FantasyJan 12, 2006
Great acting, dialogue, directing and just a great movie. Be sure to stay as the credits are rolling for some words from the real team including Coach Haskins and Pat Riley. To think that in 1965 Coach Haskins picked some kids out of the Great acting, dialogue, directing and just a great movie. Be sure to stay as the credits are rolling for some words from the real team including Coach Haskins and Pat Riley. To think that in 1965 Coach Haskins picked some kids out of the playgrounds from across the country and won a National Championship in his first year after coaching a girls basketball team. Absolutely a dream come true and opened the door for many of today's atheletes. Expand
SkydogJan 14, 2006
Although the events portrayed are far more important to history, this film is not nearly as good either Hoosiers (arguably the greatest basketball movie of all time) or Remember the Titans. It draws on virtually the same themes as Remember Although the events portrayed are far more important to history, this film is not nearly as good either Hoosiers (arguably the greatest basketball movie of all time) or Remember the Titans. It draws on virtually the same themes as Remember the Titans, but puts them on a bigger scale. But in the end this is a good movie with a good message. The acting and writing is not great but passable. Great for kids or teenagers, and you will almost certainly enjoy the movie. A great mattinee flick. Expand
RodneyJan 14, 2006
No matter how you slice it this is a good movie. It presents history and how it changed America for the better. It is presented Hollywood feel good style but what's the difference as it really happened. Good movie.
KingChadJan 15, 2006
A feel good movie worthy of your time. Great story even if it is slightly embellished.
BobJan 16, 2006
I lived through this at Texas Western and the movie was able to capture some of the amazing season that was 1966. A little heavy on the black quotient(haskins also insisted on defense using man to man in a zone world) but a very enjoyable film.
SkyChildJan 30, 2006
Amazingly good movie. Fabulous history lesson about how whites treated blacks. Unbelieveable movie with great actors. Some weird parts, but otherwise an absolute terrific movie.
TrudyJan 13, 2006
They take some poetic liberties but then again most movies do. Lots of cliches and lots of action. But it all builds up to the exhilerating ending in which history was changed for the better. A real feel good movie.
DavidA.Jan 15, 2006
I think it's an inspiring movie, and it also entertains basketball fans like me. This movie is for Basketball and Non-Basketball fans.
AlanF.Jan 29, 2006
A great history lesson for anyone unfamiliar with this story that profoundly affected sports. An important moment in the Civil Rights movement.
illininationMar 14, 2006
People complaining of over the top basketball skills need to stop complaining. Going into this movie you have to realize that it's going to be a little souped up because it needs to be. No one wants to sit and watch 2 hours of People complaining of over the top basketball skills need to stop complaining. Going into this movie you have to realize that it's going to be a little souped up because it needs to be. No one wants to sit and watch 2 hours of 1960's basketball, that would be boring. That being said it was an excellent movie that was intended to make you feel good. It wasn't meant to be Citizen Kane. If you come out feeling better about college basketball, it did its job. Expand
acaiberryMar 20, 2015
To all my baller homies, yall need to watch this movie as it is both historically groundbreaking and purely inspirational. To give the basic summary before you watch, it is about an underdog in the Texas Western (now UTEP) basketball team inTo all my baller homies, yall need to watch this movie as it is both historically groundbreaking and purely inspirational. To give the basic summary before you watch, it is about an underdog in the Texas Western (now UTEP) basketball team in the 60s that overcame all odds to achieve the unbelievable. I first watched it in seventh grade but I have watched it two more times after that because it was really thrilling to watch.

Ignore the haters because those guys really don't understand the message of the movie. That message, hopefully yall will find out really speaks out to any man or woman regardless of background. Now I will say the storytelling is bland but as formulaic as it is, how else would you really capture the journey of Don Haskin's team?

Musicwise, it all fits and there weren't any problems in the acting. You'll wanna watch this with a friends and if you're really a fan, get the war paint ready because you're about to be part of the Texas Western basketball team.
Word to describe: legendary. the main character is a fore figure of the game of basketball and this movie does just enough to make his story known.