Warner Bros. | Release Date: May 16, 2014
Generally favorable reviews based on 1671 Ratings
1,041
Watch Now
thisseatofmarsMay 17, 2014
The title, "Godzilla," is misleading because it implies this is a movie about Godzilla, or that he's--somehow-- the lead. Godzilla, the King of Monsters himself, ladies and gentlemen, shows up for about 20 minutes of screen time in this 123The title, "Godzilla," is misleading because it implies this is a movie about Godzilla, or that he's--somehow-- the lead. Godzilla, the King of Monsters himself, ladies and gentlemen, shows up for about 20 minutes of screen time in this 123 minute clunker. Much of the film is padded out by boring, BORING, super-one-dimensional characters and their boring friends and family: specifically Ford Brody (can't act), Joe Brody (can't act) and Elle Brody (for God's sake, woman, eat a hamburger!) This movie shouldn’t have been called “Godzilla.” It should’ve been called “The Brody’s” or “Ford Looks Up Stupidly with his Mouth Half-Hung Open for Ninety Minutes While the Audience Texts and Moans Audibly with Boredom.”

This film is a serious disappointment, as I love the Godzilla series, King Kong, and Kaiju movies. Do you know who else loves all these wondrous repositories of imagination? The great Guillermo de Toro. Please, please do yourself a favour and go see the much superior and joyous "Pacific Rim" instead. Seriously, go and watch it. *There* is a movie that honours Godzilla, and handles the material properly: with love.
ZimbardoMay 17, 2014
From the look of the other reviews I first need to establish my cred or my views are meaningless: I have a PhD in Godzillology and it is my scientific conclusion that this movie suffers from a case of "Too much army guy, not enough monsterFrom the look of the other reviews I first need to establish my cred or my views are meaningless: I have a PhD in Godzillology and it is my scientific conclusion that this movie suffers from a case of "Too much army guy, not enough monster wrestling". I'll also drop the word !!!Kaiju!!! in this review so you know I have a diploma on my wall from Toho University.

Whether it's a Japanese or American film, boring side-plots have always been an issue in Godzilla movies. They don't contribute to character development, building tension, or serve as (useful) plot devices. They are just something you suffer through before getting to the good stuff. This movie has very little good stuff. Even when the monster fight scenes were happening they seemed slow and didn't pack the same punch as other movies.

Using my super awesome research abilities I have calculated the ratio of awesome monster action to boring filler, which is reflected in my rating.

Science.
GuyTurnerMay 16, 2014
The film has a great opening and the first 20 minutes are extremely interesting. Sadly the film then plods on for the next hour with very little happening and with some of the most forgettable characters ever committed to film, (I could onlyThe film has a great opening and the first 20 minutes are extremely interesting. Sadly the film then plods on for the next hour with very little happening and with some of the most forgettable characters ever committed to film, (I could only remember the one characters name because it was the same as the make of car I drive).
As the storyline and the characters were so dull I decided to hold on to the hope that maybe some monster action may at least make the final third of the film exciting - boy was I wrong! for some reason a decision was made to cut away from any action everytime there was actually a threat of some action starting. Views of fights from inside wrecked cars, over peoples shoulders and even on TV screens, (that's right - I paid for IMAX 3D just to watch something happen on a TV screen instead), instead of letting the audience actually experience the monsters clash in all their glory.

I've heard a lot of people commenting that it is a film that slowly builds tension with character development and the slow reveal of the creatures allows the tension to build but I honestly recommend that these people go back and watch films like Jaws & Alien to see how this is done properly because Godzilla is just an extremely dull movie.
20 of 37 users found this helpful2017
TomHugMay 17, 2014
Yawn. If you like special effects, go. If you like stories, look elsewhere. Does not live up to the hype. The special effects are seamless. But the script is the standard monster-movie schlock. Predictable and smarmy.
20 of 39 users found this helpful2019
phildogMay 16, 2014
The main character was bland and emotionless, and manages to miraculously not get killed 5 times. As for Godzilla himself, all throughout the movie it keeps faking you out, saying "Guess what time it is? It's monster fighting time... PSYCHE!The main character was bland and emotionless, and manages to miraculously not get killed 5 times. As for Godzilla himself, all throughout the movie it keeps faking you out, saying "Guess what time it is? It's monster fighting time... PSYCHE! No it isn't." By the time they got to the actual monster fight I just didn't care anymore

Say what you will about the 1999 movie, as least Zilla was there for the whole thing and the characters had personality.
PhilipBlakeSep 7, 2019
I can't believe it, but Warner have achieved what first looked impossible to me: making a worst film than the Roland Emmerich 1998 version. This Godzilla is just boring and way overrated. Only the CGI are correct, but otherwise nothing toI can't believe it, but Warner have achieved what first looked impossible to me: making a worst film than the Roland Emmerich 1998 version. This Godzilla is just boring and way overrated. Only the CGI are correct, but otherwise nothing to save here. Useless characters, lazy writing and awful original score from Alexandre Desplat (why the hell they didn't hired David Arnold from the previous Godzilla, or at least Tyler Bates...) are the only things that I can remember. The direction was ok enough and the final battle sequence wasn't great but still effective but this is overall more a disappointment than anything other. Expand
MarkoliusMay 20, 2014
Disappointing. The rare action scenes were beautiful. The rest was awful- cardboard bland characters poorly acted (I love Bryan Cranston but this was beneath him). Trying to be so serious without actually pulling off any sense ofDisappointing. The rare action scenes were beautiful. The rest was awful- cardboard bland characters poorly acted (I love Bryan Cranston but this was beneath him). Trying to be so serious without actually pulling off any sense of believability in plot or sympathy for the characters made for a surprisingly boring experience at the cinema. Expand
DraconalisMay 18, 2014
the plot was a mess of coincidences so that the monsters just so happened to meet up and fight wherever the main character was. And all that fighting happened off screen. I understand the human element, and I understand that a good monsterthe plot was a mess of coincidences so that the monsters just so happened to meet up and fight wherever the main character was. And all that fighting happened off screen. I understand the human element, and I understand that a good monster movie is like... 65/35 human to monster ratio, but Godzilla was more like 90/10.

Speaking of Godzilla, he served virtually no purpose in his own movie. He was just there to clean things up so that the stars of this film, the MUTOs didn't go to the credits unchecked.

It was a terrible... terrible movie.

And they retconned Godzilla's atomic breath to be actual fire... and that upsets me.
SleepytimeTeaMay 18, 2014
Glacial turd of a movie. Extremely flimsy and overlong character drama with a bunch of good actors squandered in nothing roles and a lead role played by a guy with zero charisma. Flimsy characters and hackneyed plot would be expected in aGlacial turd of a movie. Extremely flimsy and overlong character drama with a bunch of good actors squandered in nothing roles and a lead role played by a guy with zero charisma. Flimsy characters and hackneyed plot would be expected in a traditional monster movie, but the script doesn't focus on the monsters, instead turning it into a generic disaster movie--forcing us to spend 100 minutes following a guy who can't even play a convincing action figure. Its like Jaws without any of the great characters or suspense. Script gives talented Liz Olsen nothing unique to do. Anyone who liked this movie: you can't tell me the main character's little kid son wasn't the least interesting kid in a movie ever. It's like he wandered in off the street and was cast on the spot. Pacific Rim was a little corny but it had a lot of personality and a strong director's vision. This director's vision seems to be that the most mundane things from a monster movie need to be given a huge spotlight while ignoring the centerpiece of the film--the monster. It's like if Office Space was 5% funny workers and 95% bubbling water cooler. Expand
lilkillpappyMay 24, 2014
I was really hoping this movie would be one of the few large scale, over the top, special effects spectacles that doesn't completely suck, but it isn't. Has all the typical problems. Acting that ranges from boring to bad, shallow characters,I was really hoping this movie would be one of the few large scale, over the top, special effects spectacles that doesn't completely suck, but it isn't. Has all the typical problems. Acting that ranges from boring to bad, shallow characters, shallow story, absolutely nothing that an adult would find emotionally gripping. Waste your money if you want. If you are over 25 you will find it pointless. Expand
SpankyJun 21, 2015
What an absolute disaster, not only as a Godzilla movie, but as monster movie in general. Godzilla is literally on film only about 15 minutes. The "spectacular" final fight takes place at night in a black cloud of dust. You can barely makeWhat an absolute disaster, not only as a Godzilla movie, but as monster movie in general. Godzilla is literally on film only about 15 minutes. The "spectacular" final fight takes place at night in a black cloud of dust. You can barely make out any of the action taking place in the dark.

This is really a film about a navy man and his relationships with his father and family. Godzilla is a background for this family drama. This movie reminds me of the terrible first Hulk film. Horrible. horrible, horrible!
Johnny_BMay 31, 2014
Very boring and simple movie filled with cliche and pathetic american patriotism. The plot couldn't be more simple, straightforward and predictable. Visual effect are good but I don't really care about them. I didn't enjoy it a bit and IVery boring and simple movie filled with cliche and pathetic american patriotism. The plot couldn't be more simple, straightforward and predictable. Visual effect are good but I don't really care about them. I didn't enjoy it a bit and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Expand
austerusMay 19, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is difficult to put the awfulness of the movie in words. I think the main problem is that the producers tried too hard to make this movie more than it is.
What the movie is: an excuse to show CGI monsters fighting. From this perspective, it works. The CGI is nice, even beautiful to look at. Plenty of eye candy in the monster fights. The only complain I have in this perspective is the unimaginative monster design. Godzilla is fine (moves like a chubby teddy bear) but the others are not very interesting.

What the movie isn't: dramatic. There's no drama there simply because the human characters are totally inconsequential. There's no reason to care for them, their actions have no impact on the events unfolding and while that may help the point that humans are just pawns in a bigger game, it also made me feel that the time spent with human characters was a waste.

There's no tension building, the story just drags on to the moment everyone is waiting: the unveiling of the monsters. And one they're on screen, they quickly go off screen to make some room for the inconsequential human characters.

Speaking of inconsequential, the movie spends time introducing us to to the main character's father and mother, the latter dying while the former becomes obsessed with unraveling a supposed cover-up. Why? The entire setup has no consequence over the story. His father blabbers about 'echolocation' which leads to the army discovering a second creature en route to ... Vegas? They discover it about 5 minutes before entering the city. That would have happened with or without his father. The main character's participation is also no triggered by the introduction: he's an army man, he could have simply stayed home and join the battle there.

We could spend weeks discussing the movie's shortcomings. The producers don't bother much with physics and making a difference between radiation and nuclear fuel, although the movie's setup is based on that. A nuke explodes 2 kilometers (yes, in the end the bomb with 5 minutes to go is left moving on a small boat at about 13-14knots, meaning it was about 2km away from the harbor when it goes off and there seems to be no effect, no blast, hitting the city, nuclear fallout, etc.

The movie has about 15 minutes of worthwhile scenes and over an hour of pure annoyance. Can't recommend it.
prossnip42May 19, 2014
**** you **** you **** you!!!!!! godzilla huh. well for a movie called godzilla it sure as **** wasnt a lot of godzilla in it. and i know you may be saying they try to build tension but the original had an amazing build up and godziila was in**** you **** you **** you!!!!!! godzilla huh. well for a movie called godzilla it sure as **** wasnt a lot of godzilla in it. and i know you may be saying they try to build tension but the original had an amazing build up and godziila was in the movie for the most part. you done ****ed it up yet again america. first godziila 1998 and then this **** Expand
Muan142May 17, 2014
The last ten or twenty minutes would make a good intro to a good Godzilla movie. This, while not being the worst Godzilla movie, certainly not worse than the 1996 one, is certainly not one of the better ones. Three big things are wrong withThe last ten or twenty minutes would make a good intro to a good Godzilla movie. This, while not being the worst Godzilla movie, certainly not worse than the 1996 one, is certainly not one of the better ones. Three big things are wrong with it. The first is that Godzilla is depicted not as the terrifying embodiment of the atomic threat and enemy of both sides but rather as a somewhat apathetic superhero and defender of mankind. This has been done in a lot of Godzilla movies and it has never been much good. At the end for instance, when Godzilla defeats the monsters in San Fransisco, he goes to sleep. If this were a good godzilla movie he would rampage on and level San Fransisco, but this is superhero Godzilla so he takes a nap and then heads off into the sea.

Second, the humans do nothing and can do nothing. I'd also point out they are uninteresting, but in order for them to be interesting in any Godzilla movie they need some sort of potency. They need to be capable of affecting the monsters. Most Godzilla movies also have impotent humans, but then most Godzilla movies aren't that great. Humans take up a ton of screen time in this version and they are boring as hell. Godzilla won't hurt them because he's in superhero mode, so we aren't really scared for them and they can't hurt any of the monsters. They humans essentially do nothing. I'm almost convinced they added in the whole monster eggs sub plot just to give the main character something to do. And I still don't know his name!

Lastly, too little screen time for Godzilla. There are theoretically two or three times that there could have or should have been a monster fight scene in the move but where instead the camera just cuts away. A lot of people compare this to Jaws and talk about building tension. The problem here is that we see plenty of footage of the monsters who kill people. Godzilla just isn't one of them. He's not Jaws, he's superman and a superman movie with about ten minutes of superman in it just at the end is kinda terrible. It's exacerbated by the fact that instead of Godzilla footage we have scene after scene about the human characters who nobody can care about and who cannot possibly have any affect on the plot.

On the bright side, this is the best-looking Godzilla movie of all time. One shot of Godzilla literally riding a tsunami had me convinced for a second that this movie was about to get awesome. Also, San Fransisco gets torn apart, so at least it has a happy ending. There are a lot of smaller technical and plot related issues. I honestly think Toho was just thrilled to finally have a great budget for a Godzilla flick and let the Americans decide the plot points. Rent it on Netflix or something but seeing it in theaters is kind of a waste of money. My theater has really comfy seats though so I still enjoyed it.
notorious_pogMay 22, 2014
The movies filled with plotholes, and about 5 seconds of godzilla actually fighting, with the rest of the movie revolving around military drama, without getting the military part right.
DeathSladeJun 27, 2014
This movie was very boring and was a letdown
I loved the effects but the characters was just bland and boring
Not the godzilla movie that i wanted
Godzilla would be upset
Fanaro009Jul 10, 2014
If you like clichés, you will love this movie. They did a great work catalogueing every one of them and putting them together in a somewhat reasonable order. I cannot believe someone who's more than 7 years old could like this movie, tediousIf you like clichés, you will love this movie. They did a great work catalogueing every one of them and putting them together in a somewhat reasonable order. I cannot believe someone who's more than 7 years old could like this movie, tedious repetition. I watched it with my brother and cousins who are early teenagers and they were as disgusted as I was. In fact, we were so mad by wasting our money on such crap that we watched X-Men Days of Future Past without paying for it, seriously, it's the least the cinema should do for us.
Spot the critics who gave this movie a good review and don't ever read their reviews again!!!

By the way, sadly, this might kill Bryan Cranston's. **** believable that they kill one of the best actors of all time just so we have to keep torturing ourselves with the stupid looks of the disappointing Aaron Taylor-Johnson. I say disappointing because Mr. Taylor-Johnson did an amazing job as Count Vronsky in Anna Karenina. Total shipwreck is an eufemism for this movie.
LaGuertaJul 22, 2014
While I can understand the lack of screen time for the titular character is necessary to build suspense, it is harder to swallow 'human drama' which fills the gaps. The laughably cliqued dialogue and one dimensional characters who spend anWhile I can understand the lack of screen time for the titular character is necessary to build suspense, it is harder to swallow 'human drama' which fills the gaps. The laughably cliqued dialogue and one dimensional characters who spend an inordinate amount of their considerable screen time open mouthed and staring above or open mouthed and frowning drag pace to a crawl. A safe option would be to give the film a miss and instead watch the two minute trailer which revealed the only interesting and well done parts of one of the dullest blockbusters ever witnessed by man, beast or winged preying mantis. Expand
BogKidOct 18, 2014
Where are the positive reviews coming from? I've been watching movies for many, many years and I love a good sic-fil or monster movie. Accenting the word "good", this 2014 version of Godzilla. This flick is neither good sic-fi nor a goodWhere are the positive reviews coming from? I've been watching movies for many, many years and I love a good sic-fil or monster movie. Accenting the word "good", this 2014 version of Godzilla. This flick is neither good sic-fi nor a good monster movie. (1) Essentially plot-less with mediocre dialog. (2) The Mutos look ridiculous. Nasty, very large praying mantises. (3) Pretty awful acting. I checked out the hero's bio and was shocked to find that he is not a graduate of a pre-school acting academy. His disturbed, vacant stares into the distance gave me that impression. (4) Turn some damn lights on! What are you hiding? Mediocre and unimaginative CGI? (5) Someone in Hollywood, please find the excellent David Strathairn (the Admiral) a job in the good movie he deserves. I was frankly embarrassed for him. Expand
ViolettSep 14, 2014
Really bad movie. For me as I was all previous Godzilla movies - of 2000th, of 1990th, this movie does not bring anything new. Just nothing at all, the plot was just scrapped from another movies. Almost no special effects makes things evenReally bad movie. For me as I was all previous Godzilla movies - of 2000th, of 1990th, this movie does not bring anything new. Just nothing at all, the plot was just scrapped from another movies. Almost no special effects makes things even worse, cmon guys, it is 2014, we saw Godzilla dozen times already, saw in all dimensions, you could at least add some fire to it. Does not worth to watch if you saw at least couple of Godzilla movies, even of you didn't try Pacific Rim or 1990th version instead. Expand
zmgalen2000May 28, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With Godzilla being the hero, this didn't focus on him being a "monster". This mainly focused on other monsters, and Godzilla was only in for about 15 minutes of the movie. I was extremely bored during the film. There wasn't enough action either. Also, there was a lack of dialogue. When there was dialogue, it was very vague. I thought this movie would be better. This isn't even a Godzilla movie. If you are a Godzilla fan, skip this. Godzilla saves the city and doesn't fight with anyone at all in the film. Expand
SneezeJunkyAug 30, 2014
This is not about not seeing Godzilla enough. This is simply because the acting was horrible. + They killed their only brilliant actor at the first 30-45 min of the movie.

I rarely regret seeing a movie in the theater. But this one is on

I rarely regret seeing a movie in the theater. But this one is on top of my **** list
MegaSolipsistAug 6, 2014
The cinematic equivalent of watching paint dry. The great actors were squandered with wooden dialogue and nothing to do. Godzilla was constantly promised but never revealed until long after I stopped caring. But despite all of it's flaws,The cinematic equivalent of watching paint dry. The great actors were squandered with wooden dialogue and nothing to do. Godzilla was constantly promised but never revealed until long after I stopped caring. But despite all of it's flaws, this movie could have been entertaining had it remembered how silly the premise of a radioactive, fire-breathing dinosaur is. Instead, it tried to make itself serious and Oscar-worthy, and ended up collapsing under the weight of its own pomposity. Expand
dave89791May 17, 2014
-perhaps a bit of a lowball score but I feel it is appropriate to balance out the higher scores
-a totally wasted opportunity to have something interesting
-bryan cranston, the best actor by far in the movie, only lasts for a fraction of it
-a totally wasted opportunity to have something interesting
-completely unprepared director - i think the only reason he got to direct this was because the last movie he directed involved a monster (at 0.1% of the budget and was, sadly, a much better film than this one)...
PatrykGMay 17, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Flat clichéd characters. Boring acting. Godzilla appears in the movie for less than 10 minutes. Were the fight scenes good ? Yeah that one fight scene that lasted 3 minutes was good. Godzilla was a creature that apparently existed for a thousand years ? And no one ever discovered it until the last century ? Instead of having a clever nuclear sub plot where a lizard is mutated, which was made to symbolize the Nagasaki and Hiroshima bombings, but no. The ending was just stupid, basically Godzilla just apparently is cheered for saving the city, even though he destroyed it as well *cough Man of Steel cough*. 3/10 Expand
steel36May 20, 2014
I don't know what movie the other people saw, but this one was terrible. The "science" of the monsters made no sense and contradicted itself. The dialogue was b-movie. Great actors were put to no use. The look of the film was excellent.I don't know what movie the other people saw, but this one was terrible. The "science" of the monsters made no sense and contradicted itself. The dialogue was b-movie. Great actors were put to no use. The look of the film was excellent. I was so bored. I'm a huge fan of Edwards' independent film, "Monster". It had everything this movie lacks: tone and originality. Expand
Matthew1May 20, 2014
Two hours and four minutes long, approximately five minutes of Godzilla, could of been really good if it would of been about Godzilla and not two dads. When they make part two, I hope the director reads the reviews and makes the movie aboutTwo hours and four minutes long, approximately five minutes of Godzilla, could of been really good if it would of been about Godzilla and not two dads. When they make part two, I hope the director reads the reviews and makes the movie about the title. Also, the story was so fragmented it didn't make sense, you have navy seals HALO jumping, why? Their in a hurry, no need to parachute 30,000 feet into a city, I had to fight off the sleep bug and was so disappointed, the last five minutes are good and you can nap the first two hours and miss nothing but saying, huh? Expand
LowbrowCinemaMay 18, 2014
The new GODZILLA is one more overproduced bore-fest produced for one reason--to exploit the past and make tons of money. At least with some remakes, the filmmakers pretend to have a point or at least a somewhat new point of view. Worst ofThe new GODZILLA is one more overproduced bore-fest produced for one reason--to exploit the past and make tons of money. At least with some remakes, the filmmakers pretend to have a point or at least a somewhat new point of view. Worst of all, this big budget fiasco is simply no fun. Something one can't say of the original or the multitude of Japanese sequels. And two questions, why cast fine actors like Bryan Cranston, Juliette Binoche, Elizabeth Olson, and Sally Hawkins, and then give them nothing to do? Second, the budget of GODZILLA is about $200 million and yet, they can't even get Cranston a half way decent wig for his 10 minutes of screen time? You know a film is in trouble when you're noticing wigs. But anything beats looking at the murky cinematography made even muddier by the perfunctory 3D. Expand
BioTofuMay 21, 2014
The had some promising potential early on but then it eventually turned into a ridiculous joke. The editing was poor and some of the plots were simply too stupid even for a monster movie... The director and writers did not seem to respectThe had some promising potential early on but then it eventually turned into a ridiculous joke. The editing was poor and some of the plots were simply too stupid even for a monster movie... The director and writers did not seem to respect Godzilla enough to have cared enough about the details.

From Bryan Cranston, Aaron Johnson, to Godzilla itself, every character was forgettable. Some more so, such as Ken Watanabe (hired him mostly so he can say its name "Godzilla" with a close up shot) and Sally Hawkins (hired her mostly so someone can introduce Ken Watanabe to the others "this is Dr. Ichiro Serizawa")...
nicoricoAug 7, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Omg!! This is some BS!!!!!!
If there was ever a time that you needed to take a sleeping pill to go to sleep, put them back in the medicine cabinet and just load this movie!! This was the worse movie that I have seen in a long long time. Thank god it was just my sister and me that watched for movie night. My nephew was asleep 15 minutes into the movie. Horrible acting, no substance from any supporting actors or actress. The only good actor was Bryan Cranston. My sister and are truly convinced the he demanded a contract renegotiation and begged to be killed off early. There were scenes that made absolutely no common sense. Point in case, there was a scene where the entire building was demolished no roof no walls and dang near no floor except one door that they could have literally walked around but instead the director demanded that they go through a door that had noearthly reason to nbe there. And don't get me on how these Marines traveled from Japan to Hawaii and then to San Francisco then to Las Vegas all in a 10 minute span The most enjoyable part was reading all the bad reviews and knowing that we were not alone. My sister and I could not stop laughing. I honestly almost peed on myself we were laughing so hard. That was 2 hours of our life we can never get back. Do yourself a favor and watch a few snails race because that is how paiful this movie really was.
flavioramosMay 17, 2014
This movie is so bad it hurts. Godzilla appears only a few scenes, really bad acting (Bryan Cranston is great but he’s only 5% of the movie), shallow story and characters.

It’s a SHAME they advertised this movie with Bryan, because he’s

It’s a SHAME they advertised this movie with Bryan, because he’s not the main character. Yes, they are fooling you and this movie sucks big time. Save your money for other great movies coming out this year.
Alan2306May 16, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Shocking film. Terrible, cliched plot, awful characters; Bryan Cranston wasn't bad but he probably asked to get written out of it early it was that bad. As usual the CGI was great but can they not wrap it around a good story for once? Expand
BakaHaramMay 23, 2014
This movie is like Cloverfield without the shaky cam and with a screenplay written by a 10 year old fan of GI Joe and Godzilla action figures. Godzilla is actually on screen for a total of whopping 10 minutes! But maybe it's a blessing,This movie is like Cloverfield without the shaky cam and with a screenplay written by a 10 year old fan of GI Joe and Godzilla action figures. Godzilla is actually on screen for a total of whopping 10 minutes! But maybe it's a blessing, because he looks like Michael Moore in a zoo fetish suit. Expand
roscoeswaffleMay 18, 2014
Sad to say, five minutes of watching the turtles in front of the Lloyd Klein boutique on Beverly Blvd was far more compelling than the 2+ hours of Godzilla at the Arclight.
WulfSuzakiMay 19, 2014
Watching the new Godzilla movie leaves you with a feeling like this; You’re a kid in the mall, and you’re parents promise you that ya’ll will go to the toy store while there. Then you walk around the mall going to all the stores parents goWatching the new Godzilla movie leaves you with a feeling like this; You’re a kid in the mall, and you’re parents promise you that ya’ll will go to the toy store while there. Then you walk around the mall going to all the stores parents go to. You even PASS BY THE TOY STORE two or three times! And you’re craning your neck to just get a peek at what’s in there while your dad is pulling you down the hall away from that place of child heaven, with all the colors and things to touch that don’t break so easy. Then after visiting every store that is not the toy store, and your legs are swollen and tired, and your parents are ready to go, a not so gentle reminder stomp of the foot and accusing scream sends the weary group to that wonderful place. You get there and suddenly your legs are no longer tired, you could run and jump for a life time in this place. You fly to the action figures and pick up a Ninja Turtle and no sooner have you determined that you are holding Michelangelo, do you hear your parents say that it is time to go because the store is closing. WHAT KIND OF BULL CRAP IS THAT!!!??? Yes, “technically” you went to the toy store. Even went inside and touched a real toy. But it feels like the promise was broken. That’s what this new Godzilla is like.

Back in “Th’ Day” there was a commercial with a little old biddy driving around to different fast food restaurants (McDonalds, Burger King, etc) and she’d pull up to the drive-through and say “WHERE’S TH’ MEAT!?” It was an advertisement for Wendy’s because their meat was square and you could SEE it. It was also implying Wendy’s meat was thicker. So with that bit of background memory, I say,

“Where’s the Star!?”
The movie is named Godzilla. It’s a reference to the most famous monster of all ‘Kaiju’ Monster films. One would think with all the hype and attention and – oh, because the movie is named “Godzilla” – that the star of the movie would be…well, Godzilla. Godzilla gets what feels like about 7 minutes for the whole movie. What IS seen of he-who-should-have-been-the-star (at the end of the movie), is really good stuff – but all that really good stuff is what was promised in the trailers and is what was lacking throughout the rest of the whole entire movie.

“Where’s the Action!?”
It seemed like every time some action was about to happen, the writers would jerk their fishing rods and yank the audience as far away from the action as possible. It was as though they DIDN’T WANT the audience to experience being right in the middle of the awesome colossal fights. Power Rangers daily showed more action with the over grown monster battles.
Maybe I wasn’t supposed to go in thinking this was an action film. This was a suspense movie. I don’t mean anything like Signs, Odd Thomas, or…..well, I don’t watch suspense, because generally they’re in the Horror section and I HATE Horror/Suspense – for different reasons (though Odd Thomas is one of the best movies I’ve ever seen). What I’m saying here is – it was an action film built on a very firm suspense foundation. If you can’t stand the pains of delayed gratification and being let down in the end anyway – do not see this film.

“Where’s the Script!?”
Speaking of script, it was as though the writer(s) couldn’t figure out between BBQ chicken wings or Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. What do those two have in common (besides being food)? Nothing. You’ve been waiting on it, so here it is – Pacific Rim. There I said it. A lot of people didn’t like Pacific Rim. A lot of people didn’t like the plot holes and floopy script. In my opinion, I think that’s what made it a better movie. The writers/directors decided they were going to make a Monster Mash action flick, and the story could work its way around the action. It was a fun, fast, brawling movie with things that made you think “why didn’t they do that to begin with!?”, and not really care because it had already been fun watching so far. I felt like Godzilla was started with that same mindset intended (work the story through the action) and then someone kept getting lost in story development and had to constantly be reminded to throw in action – which they would then rebel against to focus on their bad actors. If they were going to go with the full story script, then that’s what they should have done, but if they wanted an action movie, the script would have to take a side and just let the explosions and graphics do the rest. I’m not saying the script isn’t important, it’s just intensely difficult to do them both together and still make sense. The 1998 Godzilla had better developed characters (and acting) (and action) (and it had Godzilla).
NightReviewsMay 27, 2014
In 2010, director Gareth Edwards made his way to the festival scene by ways of Monsters, a eco-centric, sci-fi hit that introduced audiences to the wonders of large scale destruction and monsters mixed with the small scale effects of theIn 2010, director Gareth Edwards made his way to the festival scene by ways of Monsters, a eco-centric, sci-fi hit that introduced audiences to the wonders of large scale destruction and monsters mixed with the small scale effects of the individual characters as well as making a name for the extremely talented Scoot McNairy (12 Years A Slave, Non-Stop). Think District 9 with monsters instead of aliens. Fast forward four years later, thanks to the critical success of his first full length indie feature, and Edwards, who has been given the keys to the commercial kingdom, is front and centre in adapting the King of Monsters in only the second Americanized version since the abysmal yet highly popcorn-crunchingly entertaining Godzilla remake from Roland Emmerich from 1998. Entrusted with a massive $160 million dollar budget from Warner Bros. Pictures, after acquiring the rights of the iconic beast from Toho in 2010, Edwards proves that Godzilla reigns at destroying one thing, and one thing only, the promise of young filmmakers career’s.

Godzilla is a large beast to discuss in one review or twenty-seven for that matter (since there has been about twenty-seven film adaptations of the beast) since his birth back in 1954. For his sixtieth birthday, Godzilla has been given the royal treatment, having its largest budget to date, a strong international cast, and the biggest presence on screen thanks to a belief that bigger is better. That belief is shot down with the help of this film. With screens growing in size (IMAX, AVX, etc.), ticket prices getting a radioactive hike and the God of Monsters terrorizing cities solely based on its sheer size, something’s gotta give, but never does.

For the first time in the creature’s existence, Godzilla is not the centre of attention. In fact, the monster itself only makes up for mere minutes of the film. Adopting a very Nolan-esque, if not J.J Abrams approach to minimizing the beast’s reveal before the film’s premiere and within the film, Edwards focuses less on the destruction of Godzilla, and more on the presence monsters have on a small group of people on earth. Basically, a rehashing of Edwards’ Monsters, with a much bigger budget.

Unfortunately for Edwards, instead of keeping his vision and artistic integrity intact, he decides to allow Hollywood, and the symbol of Godzilla himself, to consume him, into something I like to call, the symptoms of a Hollywood film. Edwards succumbs to; foggy glass shots where characters wipe their windows for a big reveal at the monster; children noticing things before adults, monsters and rain (lots of it) and my favourite, crazy guy who proves us all that he wasn’t crazy. Godzilla is one big ‘told ya so’, when the summer blockbuster season is a large example of so many times we go into a film, hoping to be surprised, but being delivered exactly what we expected instead.

Like any other huge blockbuster film recently (see: The Watchmen, X: Men First Class, The Wolverine), the film begins to explain the origins of the giant lizard, this time dating it back to radioactive testings done in Hiroshima and Nagasaki in the 1940′s. Deep rooted in one of the most tragic time’s in our world’s history, Dr. Ichiro Serizawa (Ken Wantanabe) explains how the radioactive bombs were done less as a test, and more of a means to destroy the unexplained and mysterious creature found deep in the ocean. Unknown to scientists then, but the monstrosity fed off the radiation being used, making it stronger as opposing to killing it. Since his disappearance, the God of Creatures has since been absent from the world. Until, in 1999, when engineer Joe Brody (Bryan Cranston in his most annoying role yet) experiences the devastation of electrical shocks taking out the power at his radioactive plant, that leads to chaos and causes him to lose his wife Sandra Brody (Juliette Binoche) and many of his co-workers. Left to raise his son Ford (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) alone, Ford grows up becoming a bomb specialist for the United States Army (how appropriate), distancing his father from his family due to his obsession with the mysteries of the events the day his wife was taken from him. Fifteen years later and after returning after fourteen months on tour, Ford returns to San Francisco to his wife Elle (Elizabeth Olsen) and his son Sam (Carson Bolde), only to be summoned by his father for some unfinished business that might lead the end of the world as we know it.

The summer movie season has recently been infamous for spewing out relentless amounts of superhero films and unexpected heroes. Godzilla is no different than any of these films, finding an unlikely hero in the process of ripping the essence of the ferocity and symbolic destructive nature that is Godzilla. One of the biggest problems of this adaptation of Godzilla lies in the dubious marketing tactics for the film.
SoakerCityMay 30, 2014
Its a totally different movie after Bryan Cranston dies. Unsatisfying, cliched and terrible dialogue. The main character is lame and two dimensional. Its USA military porn, but without the money shot. The military has no weapons to fill theIts a totally different movie after Bryan Cranston dies. Unsatisfying, cliched and terrible dialogue. The main character is lame and two dimensional. Its USA military porn, but without the money shot. The military has no weapons to fill the void between M-16 and nuclear bomb.Its a pretty bad movie. Expand
jonnypjonnyMay 22, 2014
Worst movie from this year... Keep the 1999 version in your mind! and keep it safe!

Visually speaking.. Stunning! Sound... very good also! the rest... oh my god...humans are stupid in the movie. Spoiler: Go to the place where you keep all your radioactive waste, but as you go there you go with a bang (cars, trucks, helicopters, the full load) and you star picking at every little window on the silo to see if is there something wrong... until o see one where light comes out... and you open the door and find out that you have a 10 mile hole in the entire nuclear waste silo ceiling.. that no one ever noticed before... WTF??? that is just one of many...... And the part where godzilla after engaging the monsters goes into sleep mode... WTF???? and after a quick nap it just gets up, and walks away... WTF???

In the movie you can see all the references to some past events, like the tsunami in indonesia, the colapsing of towers.... nuclear disaster in fukujima... and at the end see the fat godzilla kamehameha the **** of a giant moth..... enough said! dont waste your Money on it
JanakVermaMay 23, 2014
Oh yes I’ve been waiting for this movie for since last year and today I am going to see it in theater and I been waiting till last few minutes and hoping for something big, something intense, but all I got is pure disappointment.
If you
If you are a fan of classic Gojira (1954) and Godzilla(1998) then don’t even think about this movie. I don’t know what Gareth Edwards think when he making this movie, he failed to make an impression he also don’t have much experience.
Illy45Oct 11, 2014
As you can tell from my Profile picture, I LOVE GODZILLA! Unfortunately this movie wasn't Godzilla but God-Awful. I mean, this movie was and still is the ultimate tease! Ten years later after "Godzilla Final Wars" (Amazing movie by the wayAs you can tell from my Profile picture, I LOVE GODZILLA! Unfortunately this movie wasn't Godzilla but God-Awful. I mean, this movie was and still is the ultimate tease! Ten years later after "Godzilla Final Wars" (Amazing movie by the way for those true Godzilla fans) traditional fans are left with this garbage. Besides my rant, let's get into a few details. (1) I barely saw Godzilla. (2) Every time MUTO and G-Man were about to brawl it out, for some d**n reason the scene was cut off. All of the fighting took place on the TVs IN the movie, that's ridiculous! I wish I was watching those televisions besides this mediocre garbage. Anyways, (3) Ending barely made sense. This so called "massive bomb" had successfully evacuated the area, by the terrible-acted-protagonist, in less than 5 min on a mini boat. THAT'S A MIRACLE! There are many more awful parts to this movie but to spare my fingers of typing 5000 characters, I'll end here for this movie doesn't even deserve my rant. Hopefully this disgrace does not carry out a complete trilogy. Best case scenario, Japan make their own Godzilla film and show America once again what a true Godzilla film looks like. This movie barely scores higher than 1998 Godzilla. I would score the 1998 version a -10 if i could. Expand
Nash13Dec 31, 2014
All the of what is meant to be the best affects are set in the dark.. very dark! just a lot of shadows and the acting is nothing short of second rate...

Probably the worst film i have ever seen... The writers, producers and the anybody who had anything to do with this film should be ashamed, they have ruined what should have been a classic
mau1133Jun 15, 2014
Well, a remake of a movie, and to tell you the truth i liked the first one better, i don't know what they were thinking. So sad to see such high reviews on this movie .
canadianrugbyMay 24, 2014
I'm a Godzilla fan. I saw this movie with friends that were fans, and others that didn't know much about Godzilla. All of us thought the first 1/3 of the movie was good (for which it earns 3 points) then everything takes a nosedive. ItI'm a Godzilla fan. I saw this movie with friends that were fans, and others that didn't know much about Godzilla. All of us thought the first 1/3 of the movie was good (for which it earns 3 points) then everything takes a nosedive. It tries to be serious, then it doesn't. This movie doesn't have good action. The story is bad. It's not funny. It really has nothing going for it. Expand
BenardenMay 21, 2014
If, on some eve in the distant future, your mind is full of troubles and you fear you can't sleep,
put on the DVD of the recent " Godzilla" a half hour or so before bedtime.
Yes, a star for Brian Cranston, who is very good, and a star for
put on the DVD of the recent " Godzilla" a half hour or so before bedtime.
Yes, a star for Brian Cranston, who is very good, and a star for the mid section, where they go for human scale
and a star for the CGA Slavies, rolling their eyes at their overlords marching orders and dutifully doing their bidding.
Watching colorful CGA Monsters destroy colorful CGA Cities and other gratuitous twaddle; - Is so much like watching colorful Paint dry.
and if, the thunderous sound had been turned down in the giga gargantuan IMAX 3-D - encrusted Multiplex,
you could have heard the guy in front of me, eyes closed, quietly snoring.
SwarleyStinsonSep 27, 2014
This movie is the worst example ever of the problem plaguing modern movies,TV and games. Its too DARK! You can't see a single **** thing throughout most of the movie! Its night, Godzilla is black, the other 2 monsters are black, even theThis movie is the worst example ever of the problem plaguing modern movies,TV and games. Its too DARK! You can't see a single **** thing throughout most of the movie! Its night, Godzilla is black, the other 2 monsters are black, even the scenes that aren't supposed to be dark are poorly lit. Even if you could see what's going on its still bad. I tried moving, tilting then TV - but it wasn't me, this thing really is shot it total pitch **** black. It does seem pretty interesting at first but then the plot just becomes irrelevant as the monsters start fighting, except it keeps cutting away for no reason to show us pointless things the humans elsewhere are doing. Expand
Nobilis1984Jun 4, 2014
The new Godzilla certainly looks better but that does not help. Why?
He appears hardly in the film. Instead, you trust fully on the actors and especially "Mr.White".
But even he can not save the weak and boring film.
BigZAug 30, 2014
I was so hopeful of this one being good...it just wasn't. Not even adding the fact I saw this and Noah in the same week...that was rough. I bring that up because they both had the same problem. They had very key components that make greatI was so hopeful of this one being good...it just wasn't. Not even adding the fact I saw this and Noah in the same week...that was rough. I bring that up because they both had the same problem. They had very key components that make great movies that they just fumbled with and squandered away. The only characters that seemed to drive the plot anywhere ended up dying or just timidly disappearing from the moment. And Godzilla is this like god of earth who balances all nature who saves man from catastrophe, and he just wants to help us. I mean because that was clear right? He just pretty much destroys any city he walks into and doesn't seem to be all that great of a fighter either. I wanted fight scenes of Pacific Rim proportions, couldn't even give that to us. Godzilla is a Japanese baby, and they tried to make it American, if you follow me, and they failed. It was hard to sit through this one without laughing at what they managed to get away with in this movies. They possessed good footholds in the beginning of the movie and created a unique way to look at the Godzilla creatures and their mythology. But certain scenes and certain plot points nosedived everything. Too many holes. This makes he 1990s one look golden. For shame. Expand
NINliar12Sep 18, 2014
I was thoroughly upset with this movie. Though it is called Godzilla, we only see the titular monster a grand total of 10 minutes out of a 2 hour film. You will see the humans and other creatures the remainder of the time.
mindzooSep 19, 2014
This was one of the most disappointing films of the year.

This was one of the most disappointing films of the year.

It starts off with a great introduction to who I thought would be the main character in the film, but soon afterwards it takes a nosedive as we instead follow a boring, emotionless, unmotivated and bland protagonist as he connects the dots in a contrived plot bringing the film to its predictable conclusion.

Huge disappointment.
WimpkidOct 3, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What I felt about this movie was really bad. The main character did not do anything really, he just tried not to get killed. I felt like he should not even be in the movie. Godzilla was the one who did everything fought the monster and defeated them. He only stared at the monsters. Expand
RubbishFilmOct 29, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Positively the worst film ever! At the end Godzilla went back into the ocean and everyone was happy and cheering, I mean come on people there is a giant monster in the middle of the sea he could turn any day and come back to kill or eat you all!The plot was rubbish, the only thing I liked about the film was the idea of bringing Godzilla back but to fight for us. The least they could of done was make it the original's (which was so much better by the way) egg. I actually fell asleep! I hope this has helped you NOT watch this film! Expand
KananondApr 29, 2015
Too bad Godzilla couldn't destroy the movie studio before they got a chance to release this movie. You would be better off watching Mothra vs Godzilla.
YellowKirbySep 9, 2015
I went into this movie expecting the king of the monsters smashing down buildings, and boy was I disappointed. There's very little Brian Cranston (the only good actor in the movie), and even less of Godzilla. Seriously, he's only in the movieI went into this movie expecting the king of the monsters smashing down buildings, and boy was I disappointed. There's very little Brian Cranston (the only good actor in the movie), and even less of Godzilla. Seriously, he's only in the movie for like, 11 minutes! Expand
DanBurritoMay 23, 2016
When I go to see a movie called Godzilla I want it to feature the military scrambling to combat a giant monster named Godzilla, NOT a stupid special-effects heavy, poorly acted piece of !?€**. Godzilla is only in the movie for about elevenWhen I go to see a movie called Godzilla I want it to feature the military scrambling to combat a giant monster named Godzilla, NOT a stupid special-effects heavy, poorly acted piece of !?€**. Godzilla is only in the movie for about eleven minutes, which wouldn't be as much of a problem if the human characters were interesting. Sadly, the only human character I cared about was Bryan Cranston, who dies about half an hour into the movie, leaving us with his bland, much less interesting son, who has little to no personality or charisma. Then, just as it seems we are finally about to get the rampaging monster action that the whole movie has been building up to, they ruin it by shrouding all the action in near-total darkness and throwing in two extra monsters that are in the movie more than Godzilla himself. Overall, this movie is a mess. It's full of tension-building without payoff, and spends about 17 minutes of its run time focusing on the main character trying to save a child who has no purpose in the plot. If you want a good creature-feature, I'd recommend Cloverfield or The Beast From 20000 Fathoms. Expand
xThexEvilxLordxMay 16, 2014
Worst godzilla movie ever as harcore fan please dont waste your money to see godzilla for 25 minute max the human story was bad waste of time they should chance the name to finding godzilla the movie
coooolsarathMay 16, 2014
most of the first half sequels are really dull and boring. Charecters are not fed with right element throughout the movie. there are more errors in screenplay than i expected from a Sci-Fi movie . expect nothing from 'GODZILLA' of Rolandmost of the first half sequels are really dull and boring. Charecters are not fed with right element throughout the movie. there are more errors in screenplay than i expected from a Sci-Fi movie . expect nothing from 'GODZILLA' of Roland Emmerich , yeah i know americans are more font of T-REX rather than godzilla so they tried to do much as possible to convert Japanese monster but not expect in here. simply a dreadful mess!!!!! its more like a MUTO movie. second half of the movie is adjustable , director creates more scope of action and useful 3d techniques. dont waste your money watch 1998 movie Expand
porotoMay 19, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The worst piece of **** I have ever seen. The story is aimed at U10 children, and makes absolutely no sense. Monsters that grow out of radioactivity, would be more credible if these monsters ate rock. Godzilla fights them (who knows why??) because he does not eat them. He is an extreme oddity! Soldiers that activate a nuclear bomb (they carry the ICBM missiles instead of just the bomb, but at this point nothing makes sense and you have already started laughing) within a major US city and then realize they need to deactivate it. My god!!!! Everything is crappy, the FX are **** compared to Pacific Rim, the music is definitevely non-existent (in PR it was **** great!). The actors, OH MY GOD, they are a joke, the old guy (the seinfeld dentist, yeah that is his profile) makes you laugh, he overreacts to anything. The young guy is expression-less, well he is not even an actor, he seems to be a robot. An extremely weak argument, absolutely bizarre and crazy, and poorly executed. Its not that I dont like Kaiju movies, as I said, Pacific rim is a masterpiece Expand
Tessara_VejganAug 22, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. THIS IS BS. THE NAME OF THE MOVIE IS GODZILLA BUT YOU WANT SEE IT UNTIL LAST 30MIN OR BETTER YET LAST 5 MIN BECAUSE THE ENTIRE F****** MOVIE IS SO DARK YOU CAN'T F****** SEE ANYTHING. Why couldn't they make them fight it out in daytime? Why is it that in a Japanese nuclear plant all key positions are filled with Americans? What are the other nations doing while these monsters are rampaging all over the planet? How can they tell which one is male and which is female? Why are they using a nuke if they feed of radiation and the blast has no effect? WHY, WHY, WHY WAS THIS MOVIE MADE. WRITING IS HORRIBLE AND THE DIRECTOR HAS NO IDEA WHAT THE F*** HE IS DOING. PEOPLE WHO SAY THIS IS GOOD HAVE NO TASTE AND DON'T KNOW WHAT THE F*** THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. IN THE NAME OF YOUR WALLET STAY AWAY FROM THIS S***. Expand
LethalFuhrerMay 19, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life, along with Skyline (as an example).
I am aware that the monster, supposedly fits the original, but I think that's exactly why the movie it's so bad. Godzilla looks like a giant lizard, too " humanized ", and it seems a fat and angry man. The other monsters that are among flying cockroaches, mixed with spiders, are very "alien". I felt like watching a movie filmed frame by frame, "I could almost see the hands of puppeter" (if you know what I mean) and not because the effects are bad, but how the movie is directed.
The story have no sense, the entire first half, is about the drama of the father crying for his mourning nearly 15 years ( I am surprised that Bryan Cranston has played that role after Breaking Bad ). The son, as a good American soldier is better than anyone else and the one who always survives thousand events. When the monsters are going to fight, cut the scene. Out of nowhere, everything is solved and the family is reunited and they live happily ever after... the end.
I did not like at all, I would not see it again by mistake .
capuzcapuzMay 18, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was very much looking forward to seeing this movie. I waited months and months for it to come out, and being a long-time fan of the Godzilla movies, I felt that a modern version would be definitively worth my money. I was sorely disappointed. Here are my reasons:
- Bryan Cranston is killed off within 15 minutes.
- The rest of the acting is LAUGHABLE at best. His son (Aaron Taylor Johnson) was board-like in his acting: I felt nothing. He has the same emotional range of a potato. The only character with less depth was his wife. Just. Plain. Awful. I could not bring myself to believe anything that they were portraying, and they had no on-screen chemistry.
- You came to see Godzilla in a Godzilla movie? Good luck. He has about 15 minutes (give or take 10 minutes) of screen time. That's it. The first HOUR or so of the movie is Godzilla-less. No Godzilla. None.
- You came to see Godzilla fight? Yeah, right. Three times in the movie does Godzilla fight - The first time is shown on a TV screen and cuts RIGHT BEFORE the fighting actually begins. The second time, the fight scene is cut short AGAIN by doors closing RIGHT BEFORE the fighting actually begins. The last time they fight (to give credit where credit is due) is an actual fight... but its in the last, very last, minutes of the movie.
- All the space before and between the fighting is bland, boring and emotionless planning and dumb subplots.
Save your money. Go rent Pacific Rim.
franissavioMay 17, 2014
More than half of the movie revolves around humans not the movie. The director should have done a family drama instead of Godzilla. The world's most loved monster got few screen times. All fights between Godzilla and two mutants were cut at times.
fantasyMay 21, 2014
I have seen every Godzilla movie since the original 60 years ago. To be perfectly honest those of you giving this movie a perfect 10 as in Gone With The Wind have completely lost your mind. This was as bad a movie as I have seen. It isI have seen every Godzilla movie since the original 60 years ago. To be perfectly honest those of you giving this movie a perfect 10 as in Gone With The Wind have completely lost your mind. This was as bad a movie as I have seen. It is downright disgraceful. CGI was good. The two MUTO's were laughable. Godzilla looked like a fat toad. He was on the screen for 12 minutes. The acting other than Brian Cranston and his wife was laughable. Brian had the good sense to be killed off in the first 30 minutes. The rest of the actors would have been laughed at in a High School production. The script was inept with more plot holes than Carter has little liver pills. The directing was abominable. I wouldn't watch this horrible movie again even when on FREE TV. How bad was this Godzilla? Enough so that it made the terrible NOAH worthy of a 10. Avoid at all costs. Expand
qwerty8883Mar 8, 2015
I think i would have enjoyed this film far more if i went for a full front lobotomy first but the huge plot holes, terrible acting and general lack of any kind of stuff that makes sense gave me the lobotomy anyway.
UnfragileMay 19, 2014
Godzilla was looking more like King Kong, Sorry I just had a look at him, Because in whole movie I was eagerly waiting for Godzilla, But all I've seen is 2 geometrical bizarre creatures who were designed in cheap softwares, and they were grayGodzilla was looking more like King Kong, Sorry I just had a look at him, Because in whole movie I was eagerly waiting for Godzilla, But all I've seen is 2 geometrical bizarre creatures who were designed in cheap softwares, and they were gray and dark black in color, and guess what actions in the movie was in night mode, so can you see the black creature in black background, This is the worst movie I've ever seen.. This movie have no concept, This movie was director_less movie, thats why movie was running on itself, there was no fncking control on movie.. Here in India people see Bollywood Movies, But I thought I should look for something new, But a bollywood movie made in just 2000 $ would be more good than this **** Expand
jjpete11May 17, 2014
Will do my best NOT to contain spoilers of any kind. Storyline, a bit fresh and a bit flat at the same time. Couple of surprises, couple of annoying teases, and a whole lot of blah. Redeeming qualities - excellent sound effects, and for theWill do my best NOT to contain spoilers of any kind. Storyline, a bit fresh and a bit flat at the same time. Couple of surprises, couple of annoying teases, and a whole lot of blah. Redeeming qualities - excellent sound effects, and for the most part, visual effects aren't too bad either. Not worth IMAX 3D, but still noteworthy. It took a while to get used to, but I like the new look of Godzilla. So what, Japan, he looks fat... Godzilla went to the U.S., and was chillin' in Frisco, ordering the Supersize meals from Mickey D's. He'll lose the weight after swimming back to Japan. On a more serious note - this film IS better than: Godzilla 1998, and Godzilla vs. King Kong. That's it. The movie's flaws are numerous. Once again I will not go into spoilers, but there are several let-downs, numerous holes, and a couple of oddities that are senseless to have in a Godzilla film. This film is not shockingly embarrassing like 1998, but it is fairly disappointing to this Godzilla fan. All I can say is this: TOHO, you have let the Americans make 2 Godzilla films........ please don't let it be 3. Expand
scoleyMay 16, 2014
The most Disappointing film of the year so far Godzilla 1998 was far superior in story.effects and characters this was just thrown together there were people laughing in the cinema i was really looking forward to it as well and the 3D wasThe most Disappointing film of the year so far Godzilla 1998 was far superior in story.effects and characters this was just thrown together there were people laughing in the cinema i was really looking forward to it as well and the 3D was like Godzilla for most of the film no were to be found. Expand
MacromediaFlashMay 17, 2014
I gave it 2 points for the Godzilla scenes (which were of an acceptable but not outstanding level of awesomeness), and 0 points for the scenes centered on humans (which were not of an acceptable level of quality in acting, writing,I gave it 2 points for the Godzilla scenes (which were of an acceptable but not outstanding level of awesomeness), and 0 points for the scenes centered on humans (which were not of an acceptable level of quality in acting, writing, characterization, or plot). Unfortunately for this film it spent a LOT of time on the humans and trying to make me care about them in some way, but it failed at that. Furthermore it has the 100% typical Hollywood action/disaster/monster movie plot, so there were absolutely no surprises or unexpected twists in that department. Some sequences just seem like they were straight up ripped from other, better, movies. Brian Cranston does a decent job of acting but the only other people involved in the making of this movie who weren't phoning it in were the special effects team. Godzilla is good when he's on screen, but that's only for like 15 or 20 minutes or so, and you have to sit through the whole rest of the movie to get there.

My advice is to:
1. Stay home and watch Pacific Rim, Jurassic Park, or one of the Japanese Godzilla movies.
2. Wait for this to come out on DVD so you can watch it with RiffTrax on or fast-forward past all the boring parts (there will be a lot of fast-forwarding).
BenhoofMay 19, 2014
The first part of the film starts of promising. It builds suspense, develops the characters and creates an interesting world which would allow the plot to unfold in interesting ways.

Unfortunately as soon as the US Military shows up after

Unfortunately as soon as the US Military shows up after the first monster attack, the whole set up is thrown over boards. After that the movie feels like its just a set up for iconic photography.. Which works great for trailers, but for me just ruins the film.

In a film which in the beginning tries to be taken serious, I really get annoyed when huge monsters appear out of nowhere. Literally, you have no clue the monster is around until a huge foot drops from the top of the screen. Like they move completely silent unless they are filmed by the camera.

Also, huge holes in the side of mountains are only discovered from the air after the ground team discovered them from the ground, even though the ground team was flown there by helicopters.

Also the human/military response to the monsters in the movie is almost always borderline suicidal and idiotic.

These cliches work if you set up the film in that direction, but in this movie it does not work for me.
emirbudAug 29, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Why do I keep doing this to myself? This movie is awful on all fronts. Every single aspect of this movie is terrible and stupid - the plot, the subplot, the superplot, the dialogue, acting. Even the special effects are lame. I hope they paid Cranston piles and piles of $ to compromise his acting career in this fashion. He was trying to act like crazy in a wholesomely futile and purposeless effort, and all he succeeded to do is to look ridiculous. At least they put him out of his misery quickly. Don't even get me started on Juliette Binoche. What the hell is she doing in this fiasco. She dies quicker than Cranston so maybe she hopes no one really noticed her. I marked this review to contain spoilers, but there's no spoiling this movie. It is spoiled beyond anything I can reveal here, and revealing how terrible this movie is can only help people's lives and I feel that it is my citizen's duty to do so. Here goes: the movie ends with Godzilla being cheered by masses because he had just killed the other two monsters (hybrids between a bat, the alien, praying mantis, and early days of robotics) with his dragon breath. His motive was to restore balance?!?! Humans are quite inconsequential, and they all act like bunch of people who just don't care and are fully aware that all of it is just make believe. Anyhow, give it a wide berth. Expand
kaizidokillerMay 26, 2014
Slow burn is great but only if it's rewarding. Godzilla doesn't show up until 40 minutes into the movie. I expected this because Gareth Edwards's "Monsters" isn't really about monsters but at least it's a more ambitious movie with interestingSlow burn is great but only if it's rewarding. Godzilla doesn't show up until 40 minutes into the movie. I expected this because Gareth Edwards's "Monsters" isn't really about monsters but at least it's a more ambitious movie with interesting characters. However, the characters in Godzilla are pretty one-dimensional.

Bryan Cranston delivers the best performance in the entire film and it's a shame he was given very little to do. Elizabeth Olsen also gives a solid performance but her character was poorly-written and she's the biggest victim of side-lining. Ken Watanabe is just exposition guy but the worst character was played by Aaron-Taylor Johnson. Johnson never gives the emotional performance needed for his character to be interesting and that's probably because his acting range is limited. Most of his films required him to be somewhat goofy, even in his more dramatic film "Nowhere Boy".

If you're looking for a mindless monster movie with great special effects, Godzilla certainly delivers but only if you're a patient viewer. Otherwise, you'll probably be disappointed that there wasn't enough Godzilla. Even though the best monster movies usually hold the monster back, the uninteresting characters and serviceable plot made me wish there was more Godzilla, or the movie to be 20 minutes shorter.

6/10 - For some reason, metacritic registered my score as 0 and I can't change it.
ThesuperindigoJun 13, 2014
This is how Godzilla 2014's elevator pitch gone:

Guy A: "Hey we should make a cash in to Godzilla again!" Guy B "But what about last time in 1998? People hated that" Guy A: Well this is different, You know how every one hated how he
This is how Godzilla 2014's elevator pitch gone:

Guy A: "Hey we should make a cash in to Godzilla again!"

Guy B "But what about last time in 1998? People hated that"

Guy A: Well this is different, You know how every one hated how he looked? Let's cut out the middle man and make a Godzilla movie...With no Godzilla!"

Guy B: "Give this man 160K and a promotion!"

This is not Godzilla, This is about as Godzilla as Attack Of the Killer Tomatoes is a totally believable horror movie, it is not. And before you go "Oh but the original gojira from 1954 had very little godzilla in it and he is not supposed to be the main character an they are tension building" Yeah well there is tension building and then there is just being slow,

I actually rewatched the 1954 movie and timed both movies with a stopwatch, Godzilla 2014 had 10 minutes and 30 seconds of godzilla screen time, Now compare that to the original movie, 25 minutes, now that may not sound like too much but if you throw in the fact that they were 60 years apart and the original had 1.5 million behind it and was basically filmed in their backyard, where as the new one had 160 million dollars behind it, CGI, and Bryan **** Cranston in it, and using complex mathematics we can derive that = Total ****

Even if you don't have much godzilla you're allowed to get away with it if you have good characters, every one is a tough gritty army guy who patches himself up with pieces of the american flag, you know, the overdone cliche which has no point in the movie, however the performance by said bryan cranston is the best one in the movie, however that's not saying much, everyone tries acting very serious but it just kinda comes off as forced and not heartfelt and has the same level of drama as a high school play

In this movie Godzilla has a new adversary, M.U.T.O. which are giant **** mantis like creatures, they are very weak but somehow they overpower godzilla, Twice, i like it when godzilla has a challenge but it falls apart if after like 4 minutes of fighting he just faceplants and goes to sleep, also the original had a perfect anti nuke message with the whole godzilla is a mutated creature from nuclear testing whereas this one just says godzilla is a **** dinosaur who just went to the bottom of the sea to feed off radiation from the earths core, if it was not for russians bumping into him he would have just slept through the M.U.T.O race taking over the earth. He has no point in the plot.

Also some minor gripes with the new design, While it is a good mix of 90's and 2000 Godzilla his mouth looks like a crocodile, and his roar is less terrifying and more Godzilla coughing because he has a cold, But the design is good enough for me to buy a action figure, so it's good enough,

In the end Godzilla just kinda goes back to the ocean, while the movie screams "GIVE US MORE MONEY FOR A SEQUEL!", which is a bit sad because they got just that, but that's a story for another review,

Godzilla is overhyped, A waste of money, And just a offence to the franchise, Zilla was better than this (Was named Godzilla but was renamed in order to not offend reality) at least it had the damn monster in it and characters doing **** that mattered, If it was not named Godzilla and instead was named M.U.T.O. I would of liked it a lot more because it would have reminded me of cheesy B-Grade Monster movies of the time. The most we can hope for is that the series does a Godzilla 2000, where ToHo come in and reboot the series after the americans **** it up, Or a Spiderman 2, Where the first one is to get the dosh, Second to please everyone, And Third one to just kill it for the original creators to revive it.
kreegan64Mar 14, 2019
The movie is good in the ways one would expect for a movie of this budget: Good special effects, decent CGI, cinematography, etc. Those things are easy for a big studio to accomplish, what this movie fails in, is in almost every otherThe movie is good in the ways one would expect for a movie of this budget: Good special effects, decent CGI, cinematography, etc. Those things are easy for a big studio to accomplish, what this movie fails in, is in almost every other regard.

Rather than give us a compelling story with interesting characters and at least semi-reasonable events that string together one action scene to the next, we are treated as if we are complete and utter imbeciles. Godzilla in his biggest incarnation of 350ft somehow sneaks his way around undetected, and the big "bad" monsters are much smaller but somehow are a lot easier for the humans to find. People were searching for a clue as to where the monster might be on a small island and failed to notice a hole the size of a mountain for a good long while (unfortunately, the plot holes get just as big and they don't go unnoticed for a second to anyone conscience during the film) Godzilla with his tiny little t-rex arms reaches and grabs something from offscreen after somehow sneaking up on it. We're talking about Barney the friggin' dinosaur here that is BIGGER than the statue of Liberty, it would feel like an earthquake every time it even thought about moving. The side characters and officials and military men who should know what they're doing in some degree are stooped down to unimportant-idiot-movie-character levels so that our main characters can seem intelligent rather than actually spending a few extra minutes to write a better scenario where they can actually seem intelligent. The bad monsters, the MUTO's as they're called in the film, are ironically the most relatable characters in the film, the movie even states that they're just animals trying to get by and that nature is basically trying to wipe us out because we're bad for the earth and that Godzilla for some unexplained reason has a bloodlust for them. So we're a disease and Godzilla's a murderous psychopath. How much are we to try and care for, let alone cheer for these characters?

The scenes with the humans feel like they are just padding that they only added because they knew they couldn't release a 40 minute short of monster mash ups. They serve very little actual purpose despite the plot trying it darndest to tell you otherwise, and you care nothing for them despite the plot demanding that you feel otherwise.

People give 1998 Godzilla a bad rap for plot holes and forgettable characters, but that movie was at least enjoyable and had personality. This feels like a Michael Bay Transformers movie except with big cgi monsters instead of machines. Let's face it, even with amazing talent like Cranston and Taylor-Johnson, this movie is not worth watching unless a giant monster is on screen, and that's just what you're going to be watching this for. This film has no substance, no life, no logic. This movie is about as enjoyable to watch as Transmorphers or Antlantic Rim just with better cgi and cinematography. Not worth it at all unless you really wanna see monsters fighting, which this movie does well, but if you're looking for something more worthwhile, this is not it.
xolveJun 8, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Godzilla: A brief review
Well, you Could go see Godzilla. OR... and this is just a suggestion.
Go home.
Turn the lights off.
Watch the discovery channel.
Burn some paper so there's lots of smoke in the air.
And listen to dubstep.
Honestly, you'll get a lot more out of that than you will out of the ear-ache-inducing, shrill, and what-felt-like-decades-long exhaustive study into american psychology or "why john everyman doesn't care about anything and neither should you" that is this epic.
Honestly, the best parts of this film are right at the start with Bryan Cranston lending some emotional weight to why we should give a damn about tremors. After he dies, the slack is picked up by his son, the aforementioned everysoldier who doesn't care. In the end, I ended up agreeing with him.
I would've been happy with a monster flick - I also would've been happy with an emotional action flick.
I wasn't happy with the only useful actor being killed in the first 30 minutes and the rest of the film showing mostly standard 'disaster movie' tropes such as:
adults yelling "run" then not running
soldiers shooting guns at things that quite obviously can't be touched by guns
children looking placid in the face of terror
a scientist explaining the plotline
a girlfriend who you don't give a **** about reunited with the main character that you don't give a **** about
bass drones so constant you'll be wondering if there's a subway tunnel under the theatre

Don't be fooled - this is amateur dreck pumped up with a massive budget. Hang out until the next pacific rim, or even transformers, god forbid.
elderjlinMay 24, 2014
I did not like the design of this Godzilla he looked like a overweight toed. Not enough Godzilla in action and scenes were too dark. Disappointing could have been much better.
PrettyRaveKatJun 8, 2014
The beginning was entertaining, but somewhere near the middle, I found myself wondering when the movie would end. My main question, as I have not seen the older Godzilla movies, was "Why is Godzilla fighting the male thing when both of themThe beginning was entertaining, but somewhere near the middle, I found myself wondering when the movie would end. My main question, as I have not seen the older Godzilla movies, was "Why is Godzilla fighting the male thing when both of them are 'dinosaur's'?" If you are ready to sit down and waste your time for 2 hours, go ahead and do so. If not, I suggest you give yourself a high-five. Expand
HBTBJun 9, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Aside from amazing visual effects and Bryan Cranston's terrific performance, Godzilla makes some very, VERY bad choices. While people are saying that it pays more homage to the 1954 film, I'd say that the design does, but the story and characters don't. When I walked out of the theater I didn't find ANY of the characters except for Cranston and Watanbe's memorable. There is good tension, but very little pay off. It constantly teases you with the monster fights and you see more of Godzilla in the trailers then the actual movie it's self. "But Godzilla was supposed to be like that! Haven't you ever seen the old one?" Yes, I have. And the new one is one of the worst Godzilla movie's I've ever seen. I'd be fine if they didn't tease you with fights and didn't have cardboard characters. Another thing to add, was Godzilla was the good guy. Yes, we have gone from bad ass anti-hero just trying to survive to saving the day good guy. And the dark tone? Well forget that! Because by the end people are screaming praise to him by the end of it and everyone makes it out alright. Oh yeah, You remember Cranston? That amazing actor they put in everything for our marketing and advertising? HAH! You actually thought they'd put him in for the whole movie! No, lets only kill him off! And make his boring son (I actually like Aaron-Taylor Johnson but in this movie, he's as emotionless as a rock) the main character. I also found the Muto very uninspired and expect them to be the main monsters, because Godzilla is just used as an excuse for them not to breed. This movie wasn't a "So bad it's good" movie like it's other 1998 American Remake, At least I had fun with the 98' one, but all this one did was just piss me off. Not recommended. Expand
Red-Opposom-098Dec 4, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Boring movie, felt like 3 and a half hours instead of 2 hours. The part where Byran Cranston dies is so predictable it's just stupid, Godzilla barely was in the movie, don't know if it was like this in other movie but if it is that's just bad. I really didn't like it Expand
ZebunkerDec 20, 2015
Remember those old 50's monster movies from the drive-in. The ones that tacked on love stories to get women to the drive-ins. The big payoff came at the very end. Moments from the credits. Imagine that same formula but you hardly see theRemember those old 50's monster movies from the drive-in. The ones that tacked on love stories to get women to the drive-ins. The big payoff came at the very end. Moments from the credits. Imagine that same formula but you hardly see the monsters or it cuts away to forced family drama when all you want to see is a monster destroy a city. What if the director did this 3 times in the movie. Welcome to Godzilla. Take any of the movies that have the world Godzilla or monster in them and they will be 100x better than this. Even the dous equis guy would agree with me! Expand
ToThePointJul 31, 2015
A dreary look at one military mans experience following Godzilla and others. This is terribly slow and uneventful. Just when momentum is building the camera cuts away to the poorly acted family drama sequences. Lackluster plot with no smarts.
egoBorderNov 2, 2019
A great cast squandered on a horrible script and story, all in service of obscuring the main attraction: Godzilla himself. Yes, if you like annoying characters being overacted while a monster looms in the background, you might enjoy this.
GojifanDec 5, 2019
Cardboard characters, bland action, hype filled shlock. It also started a civil war in The Godzilla fandom, that didn't end until late 2017. The only Good thing this film did was try to fill the gap between Final wars and Shin Godzilla.