Universal Pictures | Release Date: October 13, 2017
6.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 266 Ratings
Watch Now
chicconate95Dec 7, 2017
Happy death day is something special. Thriller, but there's more. Comic movie? yes, just a little bit. Genial horro-comic movie. Something new and interesting. Well done!
mijxeroJun 7, 2018
So this was a movie that I rented expecting to possibly laugh at the bad horror movie. It ended up being a competent horror/comedy/mystery movie. I would say that the movie had quite a bit of charm and character development for a movie ISo this was a movie that I rented expecting to possibly laugh at the bad horror movie. It ended up being a competent horror/comedy/mystery movie. I would say that the movie had quite a bit of charm and character development for a movie I expected nothing out of. It even goes out of its way to reference Groundhog Day, poking fun at itself. It's not a masterpiece, but I really enjoyed it. Expand
tewa_kanuiJul 30, 2018
I'm not surprised about the mixed reviews this movie got. Actually, I don't think this movie was THAT bad, i really like it. Of course it is not the scariest movie ever made, but still, it's enjoyable to watch it. The actors are good,I'm not surprised about the mixed reviews this movie got. Actually, I don't think this movie was THAT bad, i really like it. Of course it is not the scariest movie ever made, but still, it's enjoyable to watch it. The actors are good, especially Jessica Rothe who I found was pretty majestic in her role, she portrays fear so well. And the anticlimax was so unpredictable, as we like it to be. I'd watch it again of course. Expand
GinaKOct 17, 2017
A film that is hectic and fun with a very charming cast of excellent young actors. I saw Groundhog Day many years ago, and it seems to me this is quite a different film, so don’t think it is any kind of “remake,” but just an enjoyable movieA film that is hectic and fun with a very charming cast of excellent young actors. I saw Groundhog Day many years ago, and it seems to me this is quite a different film, so don’t think it is any kind of “remake,” but just an enjoyable movie that borrows a basic plot idea. Maybe it’s occasionally too preachy and Pollyanna-ish (unlike any Bill Murray film you’ll ever see), but it’s still enjoyable. Expand
annbdAug 4, 2018
The book is better. On moments with it's typical funny scenes in the horror movies the film felt a little bit ridiculous. The weakest part was the dialogues - very flat, weird. The message behind the film was in the background and seemed toThe book is better. On moments with it's typical funny scenes in the horror movies the film felt a little bit ridiculous. The weakest part was the dialogues - very flat, weird. The message behind the film was in the background and seemed to be blurred. And I saw an interesting idea with a message, that could be more emphasized, like in the end for example, no matter it's genre. The plot twists were also unexpected and it was interesting. Overall it was good and it's worth a watch. I recommend the book too. Expand
Anonymous_119Oct 14, 2017
Happy Death Day was definitely an entertaining film to watch. It’s like Groundhog Day mixed with Scream. Although Happy Death Day premiered on Friday October 13th, this movie was more humorous than a thriller. It had a lot of great momentsHappy Death Day was definitely an entertaining film to watch. It’s like Groundhog Day mixed with Scream. Although Happy Death Day premiered on Friday October 13th, this movie was more humorous than a thriller. It had a lot of great moments and some of these one liners, knee slappers. The acting was pretty solid with a great lead actress as well as a cute romance that will make your heart flutter. While some may have considered this movie a “dud”, because it wasn’t “exactly like the movies it portrayed” or wasn’t “as good as the originals” I would have to disagree. Yes, this movie played a twist on other movies such as Scream and Groundhog Day, but it was a unique combination and did an excellent job of keeping me on the edge of my seat, waiting to see what would happen next, and that ending, AMAZING. I would definitely recommend it. Expand
M_Wolfe122Oct 14, 2017
Intriguing. Funny. Enjoyable. Happy Death Day took the movie Scream and the movie Groundhog, two well known films and combined it, turning it into its own movie. I really enjoyed the plot, the characters, the humor and the recurring “Death”Intriguing. Funny. Enjoyable. Happy Death Day took the movie Scream and the movie Groundhog, two well known films and combined it, turning it into its own movie. I really enjoyed the plot, the characters, the humor and the recurring “Death” aspect. A well written storyline with a nice twist on two great films and some seriously funny moments is all that I could’ve asked for. Expand
BuddahNov 26, 2017
Horror movie meets Groundhog's Day. It works and it was fun. I left wanting more. Not in the sense of waking up to watch it over and over again, but I wanted more of this and I hope they make enough money to consider making a sequel or aHorror movie meets Groundhog's Day. It works and it was fun. I left wanting more. Not in the sense of waking up to watch it over and over again, but I wanted more of this and I hope they make enough money to consider making a sequel or a similar story with other characters. I do not care, the premise works for me. Horror movies do not have to be so serious to be entertaining. The Evil Dead franchise has proven that. Expand
Needles_KaneOct 17, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excellent movie, but I feel like the ending to the film should have ended a little different. [spoilers ahead] I think the ultimate cliffhanger ending would have been with her waking up next to her new boyfriend's dead body. Let's assume that she never ate the poisoned cupcake so she never made the connection to who the real killer was. Instead, the new boyfriend asked her if she was going to eat the cupcake. She tells him to feel free to eat it, and he dies in his sleep. At this point it's safe to say that she'd make the connection to who the killer is though, and so should the audience. It'd be nice if they didn't actually make it that clear though. Expand
TheShrike222Jan 26, 2018
This is an unexpectedly amusing movie. It's not a sendup of slasher flicks like Scream, it plays it relatively straight, but that makes it better. Not so campy. The lead actress definitely makes the film, since she's on the screen so much, ifThis is an unexpectedly amusing movie. It's not a sendup of slasher flicks like Scream, it plays it relatively straight, but that makes it better. Not so campy. The lead actress definitely makes the film, since she's on the screen so much, if she couldn't do a modest Bill Murray in Groundhog Day (of course there's a shout out) the movie wouldn't work. But it's not a copy, the movie takes its own direction. It was worth watching even for those who aren't murder movie fans. Expand
RhoSantoroOct 31, 2017
What about this movie that I didn't expect much but changed my initial opinion? He already encourages you with the joke that Universal did with his presentation before the movie starts in the theathers.

The movie is titled as "terror", but I

The movie is titled as "terror", but I think it doesn't quite come to that. The suspense and mystery about the plot is really cool and makes us think who the killer is behind everything, trying to catch every sign of the movie during the scenes (As a matter of fact, this isn't a spoiler, it's in the synopsis of movie). It has very funny moments, which at the beginning makes you rethink whether it's really a "horror" movie or not. Each death scene of the main is interesting, since none is the same as before. Even if the plot twist is interesting, the motives that come to it are, in my opinion, a bit of a fart.

The characters are funny, great and well placed in the plot. I would say that 98% of them were well used in every part. The main pass from spoiled to sweetheart by the end of the movie. The "villain" is interesting for his actions, and I can even tell by his persistence.

I must agree 100% when they say that this movie is the perfect mix between Groundhog Day and Scream. My motto continues: Go to the movies (with friends is more funny) or wait for TV and draw your own conclusion.
wkallaoOct 27, 2017
This film is really one of a kind. It does a terrific job of evoking fear, as well as making you laugh out loud. The film itself is satirical in nature. It truly is a film everyone should go see, and is enjoyable for all ages. The film buildsThis film is really one of a kind. It does a terrific job of evoking fear, as well as making you laugh out loud. The film itself is satirical in nature. It truly is a film everyone should go see, and is enjoyable for all ages. The film builds up well, and continues to succeed up until the end. The ending is very outrageous in nature, and seems to be a forced plot twist filled with ridiculous exposition. The ending will either leave you amused, or just disappointed. This film is worth it though! Expand
GBG_JasonJan 17, 2018
For most people, your birthday is a happy event that is spent with friends and family. But what if you were stuck in a never ending loop, where you meet your end only to wake up and start the day again? That’s the premise of the recent HappyFor most people, your birthday is a happy event that is spent with friends and family. But what if you were stuck in a never ending loop, where you meet your end only to wake up and start the day again? That’s the premise of the recent Happy Death Day, which is similar to a dark version of Bill Murray’s Groundhog Day and delivers on many levels.

The film begins with a very hungover Tree, played by Jessica Rothe (La La Land, Valley Girl) who wakes up in the dorm room of Carter, played by Israel Broussard (The Bling Ring, Extinction). After a short exchange, she sets off on her walk of shame, trying to piece together the events of the night before. After seeing how she treats some of the supporting characters, we see that Tree is not up for winning any humanitarian awards. She’s not only prone to waking up in strange guys’ beds, but she is rude, makes out with friend’s boyfriends, blows off potential suitors, partakes in an affair with one of her teachers, and treats her sorority sisters like garbage. That being said, the list of people who’d like to kill her would not fit on a sticky note and leaves the viewer guessing. I haven’t been this stumped by who the killer was since the original Scream.

After setting off for a party, she comes face to face with our masked killer for the first time, who is dressed as a cherub in a dark hooded sweat shirt. He quickly ends her life prompting her to wake up at the beginning of the day all over again. The killer is not overly original, as a similar mask was used in the previously released Valentine movie. After a few failed attempts at circumventing her death, she becomes determined to find her killer and break this vicious cycle.

The mystery of who the killer is and how the film goes about slowly leaving hints and misdirecting the viewer is where most of the fun is found, as this suffers from a lack of violence due to the PG-13 rating. While there are some creative kills that do change depending on how Tree decides to proceed with the day, most are done off-screen, leaving the gory details to the viewer’s imagination. Tree’s reactions are often comical and prevent the film from becoming stale, despite a number of the same scenes taking place over and over again with minor variances.

While the killer’s identity is revealed before the credits roll, the reason Tree is stuck in the never ending loop is never explained, which leaves a large plot hole. Since this is a horror film and the suspension of disbelief is in full effect, this shouldn’t stop you from checking out what is sure to be a cult classic.
chemcastOct 18, 2017
I came to Happy Death Day with very low expectations, and was absolutely blown away. If you came into the theatre expecting a movie masterpiece, I can't help you. Happy Death Day is an incredible run of fun. Happy Death Day is hilarious,I came to Happy Death Day with very low expectations, and was absolutely blown away. If you came into the theatre expecting a movie masterpiece, I can't help you. Happy Death Day is an incredible run of fun. Happy Death Day is hilarious, action-packed, suspenseful, and beyond enjoyable. I've never seen a theatre so engaged with a film, and I've never been so engaged with a slasher flick. At some points it seems very ridiculous, but I feel that adds to the charm. Nothing needs to make sense, so long as you have as much fun as possible.I only made this review because I saw the seriousness of others, and think it unfair to treat a loose, light-hearted film seriously. Happy Death Day exceeded all expectations. It made me laugh, it made me sit on the edge of my seat, and I left the theatre feeling as though I'd gotten off a roller coaster. Incredible. Loosen up, sit back, and enjoy the ride. Expand
rosanneramajNov 7, 2017
Although this is a clever, modern remake of "Groundhog Day," this good-natured slasher has a lively spirit, charismatic characters, and some good life morals.
guillotrinedDec 19, 2017
Happy Death Day surprised me. It really surprised me. And given my rapidly growing cynicism towards all of Hollywood's contrived vomit, this movie was like taking a breath of fresh air after nearly drowning in filmmaking idiocy.
Happy Death
Happy Death Day utilizes the 'Groundhog Day' formula; that is to say, the protagonist is trapped in a day that forever repeats. This is one of the few movies that takes advantage of that formula, however, it appears to be a growing trend. I happen to think this is something positive since the idea of a cyclical and never-ending day can be used in a multitude of creative ways (see 'Edge of Tomorrow').

But Happy Death Day does not pretend it's something unique. In fact, Happy Death Day even manages a nod towards Groundhog Day, both humbly acknowledging where its own inspiration derived from and complimenting a phenomenal classic that should be required viewing for anyone with a pulse.

And that's a big part of what makes this movie so good: it's not pretentious. It's not trying to be something it's not. And best of all, it's not robotic and formulaic. While the film plods the path of the typical three act Greek outline, it does so with emotion and realism. The characters matter. This is a big part of what makes Happy Death Day stand out: the characters aren't fabricated on an assembly line. They aren't caricatures. They act like we act. They react like we react.

The cynicism I complained of at the beginning of this review has largely been cultivated by bloated budgets and overpaid arrogant blowhards who think they can force feed the moviegoing public with their computer generated scripts and lazily earn a paycheck without lifting a finger. But this movie is anything but. The people involved in this film made an earnest effort and it shows.

Happy Death Day's storytelling is also patient and thoughtful. The story is unfolded at an even pace and plot points that are revealed from the start are neatly tied up by the end. Speaking of the end, it's rare that I'm surprised and/or fulfilled by an ending but this movie managed to achieve both for me.

As a sidenote, I have read disparaging reviews that attack the fact that Happy Death Day "rips off" Groundhog Day; this is akin to lambasting every story that's had aggressive aliens since War of the Worlds. Why is it negative if someone is inspired by someone else? If I created something unique and others used it for their own creations, why would I take that as anything other than praise? Attacking a plot for its similarity to something else is, on its face, ridiculous. Plots are used and reused all the time; it is what we do with them that matters.

But I will digress. overall, I highly recommend this movie. Remove the Hollywood preconceptions in your mind, drop the need for flashy effects and other bells and whistles and simply let it all unfold. Hopefully, like me, you'll be left feeling very satisfied.

(P.S. I gave it an 9/10 as a bit of a curve score. In other words, if movies were metaphorically a classroom full of students, Happy Death Day would be given a higher score given that all of its classmates are flunking out. As a movie of its own right, perhaps I'd give it a 7 or 8.)
EludiumQ36Jan 6, 2018
Wow, what do ya know, an actually watchable low-budget thriller. Yes, it's mix of GHD, Scream this/that, etc so you'll be on the FF button a bit, but the ending isn't the formulaic pat ending it telegraphs, there's more and we thank it forWow, what do ya know, an actually watchable low-budget thriller. Yes, it's mix of GHD, Scream this/that, etc so you'll be on the FF button a bit, but the ending isn't the formulaic pat ending it telegraphs, there's more and we thank it for that subtle twist. Expand
LuciusMcGibbonSep 8, 2018
Just when you thought po-mo slasher movies couldn't possibly have anything interesting to offer anymore... This movie is a breath of fresh air, mainly because instead of spending large ponderous chunks of time setting up a feature-lengthJust when you thought po-mo slasher movies couldn't possibly have anything interesting to offer anymore... This movie is a breath of fresh air, mainly because instead of spending large ponderous chunks of time setting up a feature-length story, it gets to home in one day and then have fun repeating it with a new twist each time. This makes it a breeze to sit through, and it feels as if everyone involved had a blast making it, which really rubs off on the viewer.

Highly recommended by a hopelessly jaded horror fan.
eagleeyevikingJan 31, 2018
Self-aware, competently shot, hilarious, thrilling, well-acted, and smart, "Happy Death Day" is a genuinely surprising crowd-pleaser horror film.
bfoore90Oct 20, 2019
Jessica Rothe is a great lead, she offers charisma and acting chops to boot. Happy Death Day is a good tongue-in-cheek comedy slasher film that does a good job of offering up thrills and laughs.
PanchogulApr 8, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Divertida, tiene el suspenso suficiente para convertirla en una película totalmente impredecible, sin embargo, no logré entender el por qué la protagonista despertaba una y otra vez, o sea, ni la persona quien estaba detrás de su repetitivo asesinato parecia entenderlo y saberlo. Expand
MrWitzelsuchtMay 7, 2019
I splendid mash-up of Groundhog Day and Heathers (with a knowing nod in the direction of Scream). It's a FUN slasher with some hilarious **** lines between the sorority girls. Really excited to see the sequel.
MarkTakayamaJun 22, 2019
I love it.It is supposed to be a horror movie.But Tree made me laugh.She fought criminals in order to make her birthday happy.It was very short film for only 96 minutes.I really enjoyed it.
lordaeron1Mar 5, 2019
great light horror/comedy flick, light and doesn't take itself seriously. it's like a scary movie but not really, it's like a scream but not that either... it's funny than scary and then funny again and at some points, it's actually serious.great light horror/comedy flick, light and doesn't take itself seriously. it's like a scary movie but not really, it's like a scream but not that either... it's funny than scary and then funny again and at some points, it's actually serious.
Great movie, would be nice if there ware more of movies like this out there.
niteowljrOct 31, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Happy Death Day is an entertaining date movie that doesn't try to be anything more. It's unpretentious and fun with enough of a horror kick to keep those fans interested, even after it's obvious that it's not that kind of movie. Expand
BullishApr 22, 2019
I watched a lot of **** movies the week I saw this, and I have to say this at least felt like an actual movie. People probably dismissed it because of its stupid name or hard to guess villain, but at least this was watchable unlike most crapI watched a lot of **** movies the week I saw this, and I have to say this at least felt like an actual movie. People probably dismissed it because of its stupid name or hard to guess villain, but at least this was watchable unlike most crap CGI films (movies I saw this week Ready Player One, Jupiter Ascending, Robin Hood 2018, just so you understand).

+ Complete movie, no stupid **** twist ending
+ The head of the sorority is a star

- Schlock-y Brandon Fraser-like moment midway through movie
- Main girl a little too unrealistically cavalier day 1 of the loop
- If you miss a certain 2 second segment you'll miss the villain's entire motive
emilyc7328Nov 3, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think that this is a great movie that gets you thinking hard because the killer is not who you expect it is but I only gave it a 7 because I had a whole list of answers left unsolved. Why did she relive that day? Was there a purpose or meaning behind that and how did she continue to live after she found out who the killer was? The damage in her ribcage meant that she was meant to be dead so how exactly did she live? Expand
manningn15Aug 3, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is my 3rd favorite horror movie of all time and one of my favorite movies of all time. Happy Death Day is an A+ movie. The writing was fantastic. Jessica Rothe gave a outstanding performance. Israel Broussard, Ruby Modine, and Rachel Matthews gave terrific supporting performances. The plot was excellent and I loved the twist ending I didn't see it coming. I loved how they mixed horror, comedy, and sci-fi and I loved how with each death they got funnier especially the blowing up car and the one where she is outside the guys window. The costumes were great especially the killers costumes, the baby mask was so creepy looking, and Jessica Rothe's outfits. Expand
RaduAFeb 14, 2019
72.5 / 100

Hmm ... the first time I saw it I liked it a lot. I saw it again today and I can say ... I still like it, not so much, but it's a decent popcorn movie. Many cliches, plot twist you see from a post but it's a funny movie.
hornysoulSep 22, 2018
Este filme pode dividir muitas opiniões, mas há muitas coisas nele que podemos apreciar. Este tipo de filmes já foi feito algumas vezes e nem sempre é possível surgirem novas ideias. No entanto, a produção seguiu a fórmula corretamente e atéEste filme pode dividir muitas opiniões, mas há muitas coisas nele que podemos apreciar. Este tipo de filmes já foi feito algumas vezes e nem sempre é possível surgirem novas ideias. No entanto, a produção seguiu a fórmula corretamente e até funcionou. Expand
goncalocoutoOct 20, 2018
"Happy Death Day" é original e divertido. Tem comédia à mistura e é isso que torna o filme especial. Muito bem feito!
RuzakyJan 23, 2019
Cheesy thriller that dont take itself to seriously and have fun with it. Jessica Rothe did good job in this.
humunguschungusMar 2, 2019
Happy death day tries desperately to be a modern day scream,a and while it is nowhere near as good as Wes Craven's classic, it is still a fun ride that most slasher fans will find amusing.
ArcanaThe4thMay 25, 2019
Despite the lack of attempts to explore some of the more interesting aspects of its high-concept premise, this movie manages to be a very fun watch, especially for fans of slasher and dark comedy.
WebatronJun 26, 2019
Great thriller, with good acting. It had elements of Halloween and other slashers while leaving out all the gore. My heart was pounding on more then one occasion. Classy in it's execution, and suitable to watch with my 13 years old.