STX Entertainment | Release Date: September 13, 2019
6.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 96 Ratings
Watch Now
flametail23Sep 15, 2019
I struggle to see why critics haven given this movie such shining reviews but, that doesn't mean I hated this movie. The performances for the most part were very compelling and the first act was quite engaging. The problems come from theI struggle to see why critics haven given this movie such shining reviews but, that doesn't mean I hated this movie. The performances for the most part were very compelling and the first act was quite engaging. The problems come from the repetitive nature of the second act which unfortunately took away from my overall enjoyment of the film. Expand
amheretojudgeSep 14, 2019
What they think that made it look not sexy, actually did, they needed a better guidance, that's all.

Hustlers Lorene Scafaria, the writer and director, is a hustler. Similar to the film, we, the clients, are robbed shamingly. But what's

Hustlers

Lorene Scafaria, the writer and director, is a hustler. Similar to the film, we, the clients, are robbed shamingly. But what's interesting is that the film loses at the end of the day. Not even looking at the intentions of the film, the film, as a story, had an extremely solid argument to walk through that Oscars table head held high. And instead the opportunity is not only missed but chucked away for cheap thrills and manipulative emotional blackmail. And this could have been a worthy Oscars contender and is instead just an Oscars contender.

And I emphasize on how big a mistake they made, on going light on this material. What the film industry, in the last few years, had twisted and turned its way out to address the political correctness, is something that the film has in its pocket all along. So now, all they had to do was carve a compelling drama. And instead they are overcooking those same ingredients, that turns into a preaching to the choir tone, within the first act.

The film craves for such moments. If anything it goes all the way around, just to create memorable scenarios, to the price of pacing. And it is not the pace I have an issue with, it is the two page script that is told magnanimously within two hours that I can't just "whoooooo" around. The film is also hard to watch. Not for the justification it attempts to give its characters but also the justification that it doesn't give to its characters. And it is not the narrative but the visualization of that crime scene that makes it horrible. For if told properly and rummaged around the files, dug deep into their homework, you will find a sweet spot to explore that would balance these Hustlers.
GreatMartinSep 17, 2019
Many years ago, when I was a kid, I use to dream of Chita Rivera and Rita Moreno doing a cabaret show together but now that I am a big kid I think of a cabaret show starring Jennifer Lopez and Beyonce Knowles. Where does all this come from?Many years ago, when I was a kid, I use to dream of Chita Rivera and Rita Moreno doing a cabaret show together but now that I am a big kid I think of a cabaret show starring Jennifer Lopez and Beyonce Knowles. Where does all this come from? Watching "Hustlers" I thought of Lopez making a big splash in the movies when she starred opposite George Clooney in "Out of Sight" and Beyonce doing the same when she co-starred in the movie "Dreamgirls" and neither did any more movies worthwhile.

Chita became a star playing Anita in "West Side Story" on Broadway and Rita won an Oscar for the same role in the movies. Chita would remain a big and much loved star on Broadway for the next 60 years while Rita became a star on television.

In any case, thinking about the 4 women was a diversion from looking at a movie that, while certainly glorifying a woman's body, shows smart women 'taking' dumb rich men. It sort of looks like in spite of all having sad backgrounds, most being uneducated, what choice did women have except for pleasuring men whether stripping or giving them lap dancers while other men took most of the money they made.

This all takes place before the 2008 recession when men threw money around as if it wasn't theirs and in most cases it wasn't but then that recession came along and the women team up together to fleece the wealthy clients they still have, making thousands of dollars knowing the men are either married or would be too humiliated to report them to the police or still had enough money not to worry about.

After Lopez's fantastic entrance doing a pole dance I lost interest in the rest of the movie possibly because the story of rich men being taken is so common place in South Florida that it seems to be in the paper and on television at least once a month if not once a week.

The performances, by Lopez especially, are all good while the direction by Lorene Scafaria keeps the movie going but her screenplay, based on a 2015 magazine story by Jessica Pressler, gets tiresome very quickly.

"Hustlers" is getting good reviews including talk about Lopez getting an Oscar nomination but I would rather see a 'duel' between her and Knowles or, even better, between Moreno and Rivera!
shermySep 15, 2019
Strippers rolling drunks (or drugsed). More male appeal than when alley rats do it. No Lopez, no movie.
BradMorganSep 16, 2019
A long-winded and boring film. Jennifer Lopez had taken on a part of the production in addition to an acting role and at times it seemed like a love letter to herself. What was strong in this film was the atmosphere. You felt the impendingA long-winded and boring film. Jennifer Lopez had taken on a part of the production in addition to an acting role and at times it seemed like a love letter to herself. What was strong in this film was the atmosphere. You felt the impending doom. Furthermore, the film was disappointment. Expand
Moni6255Sep 15, 2019
The movie was ok. Nothing special. I could have waited to watch at home. Movie was just ok.
tropicAcesSep 12, 2019
This is a lot like “Widows” for me. Great cast led by a totally game leading lady, with what should be an intriguing crime-centered plot. But it plays out more like an arthouse flick than enjoyable popcorn film, and despite appreciating it IThis is a lot like “Widows” for me. Great cast led by a totally game leading lady, with what should be an intriguing crime-centered plot. But it plays out more like an arthouse flick than enjoyable popcorn film, and despite appreciating it I wasn’t finding myself entirely entertained. Expand
JordanJonesYallSep 13, 2019
The weight was missing. The scenes that had opportunity to be heavy hitting were too short, and the repetitive montages were too long.
GmanazSep 15, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great movie, great actors. Jlo gives her best here. Enjoyed with friends. Good to see woman supporting each other, rather than being jealous of each other Expand
MarcDoyleSep 12, 2019
Disappointing. There's magic in the first 20 minutes or so, but the film really goes nowhere, and there's very little on the line.
LamontRaymondSep 12, 2019
Sure, there are some fun moments in this film, and J-Lo is great, but there is absolutely NO substance to this film. There's no real crisis, there's not much at stake, and Constance Wu is utterly ill-equipped to carry the film as the lead. ISure, there are some fun moments in this film, and J-Lo is great, but there is absolutely NO substance to this film. There's no real crisis, there's not much at stake, and Constance Wu is utterly ill-equipped to carry the film as the lead. I loved her in Crazy Rich Asians, but she doesn't do much for his hollowed-out story. I hadn't realized that this was based on a newspaper article, but it makes perfect sense. It's light-weight. About a third of my theater left before it was over. Expand
TVJerrySep 13, 2019
This film is based on a true story about a group of exotic dancers who concocted a scheme to bilk rich Wall Street clients. Constance Wu plays the new girl who's taken under the tutelage of the accomplished mastermind (Jennifer Lopez,This film is based on a true story about a group of exotic dancers who concocted a scheme to bilk rich Wall Street clients. Constance Wu plays the new girl who's taken under the tutelage of the accomplished mastermind (Jennifer Lopez, introduced via an amazing dance number and looking fantastic throughout). At first, things are all fun and director Lorene Scafaria has captured the carefree repartee and lively lifestyle with a natural energy. Although there's too much time spent on the party aspects, once matters gets serious, the drama develops adequately. Anyone expecting hot chicks on the pole will enjoy the first 30 minutes, but there's more to be appreciated in watching the relationships that develop and the machinations of their crime. Expand
BmanzSep 13, 2019
Hustlers was so good! It’s a must watch. Jennifer Lopez and Constance Wu are amazing in this!! Cardi made me laugh so hard, her presence is so strong...like I need to see more of her in movies. I definitely want to see Hustlers again.
KdkdkxoxSep 14, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ужасный фильм, не советую никому. Ожидания конечно не оправдались, не тратье время Expand
The3AcademySinsSep 16, 2019
In a lot of ways, Hustlers is a really fresh film. The plot is innovative and engaging. The acting performances are stellar, particularly Jennifer Lopez, who delivers one of her best performances in years. However, something about the pacingIn a lot of ways, Hustlers is a really fresh film. The plot is innovative and engaging. The acting performances are stellar, particularly Jennifer Lopez, who delivers one of her best performances in years. However, something about the pacing and story just feels empty. The second act in particular just feels cliche and lackluster in spite of the premise. It's still a good watch, but I feel some scenes just dragged on and on. Expand
CinemagoerSep 16, 2019
very good casting and performing; music was good, political references were great.
Moviereviewer15Sep 12, 2019
My review of #Hustlers:

My review of #Hustlers:

Thanks to a performance from a cool cast with JLo, Constance Wu, Keke Palmer and Lili Reinhart, this movie teaches us us that even strippers can’t be trusted and that no one, on both sides (rich or poor), stay good forever.

My final rating: 4.5/5. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.5 out of 5 stars.

Also, Cardi B and Lizzo are only in the movie for 2 minutes of the first act.
JbwAllenSep 13, 2019
Yikes. Terrible film. Feminist hogwash. Terrible cast. Terrible acting. What the hell was this ?
gondz351Sep 13, 2019
Beautiful work from writer-director Lorene Scafaria. A valentine to female friendship and a condemnation of an engendered capitalist system. Wu and Lopez are phenomenal in fully rendered, dimensional parts. There are no heroes in this film -Beautiful work from writer-director Lorene Scafaria. A valentine to female friendship and a condemnation of an engendered capitalist system. Wu and Lopez are phenomenal in fully rendered, dimensional parts. There are no heroes in this film - as well there shouldn't be. But Wu and Lopez craft their characters with tremendous humanity, equal parts empathy and frailty. Scafaria rightly depicts the victim's perspective of the events that unfolded too but doesn't condemn her characters for it - as there is a larger, more antagonistic, more pervasive economic system to which they ALL fall victim. Expand
Nat07Sep 13, 2019
Spectacular acting, funny and sexy. Jennifer Lipez did a great comeback. The rest of the girls did great too. I wanted to see more of Cardi B. She would have made it even funnier. She is one of the reasons I went to see the movie.
Onim21Sep 14, 2019
HUSTLERS was so so **** good. I was in Toronto while I watched it and everybody **** clapped at the end. I was in awe.
EConOCSep 14, 2019
Awful. Boring. Avoid. Awful. Boring. Avoid. Awful. Boring. Avoid. Awful. Boring. Avoid.
kadudinizSep 13, 2019
Much better than I anticipated. Great to see a new female director getting a movie right. J-lo is great here, her best role since Out of Sight!
FabrizioHudsonSep 12, 2019
Omg this is a movie that deserves to be named by critics jlo it looked is one of his best movies the whole cast wore it I love it
Xander1991Sep 15, 2019
Jennifer Lopez deserves an Oscar for her supporting role, period. She completely transforms into Ramona and takes command of every scene she's in. The cast was amazing, the script, the acting, the comedy, the drama, the emotion, theJennifer Lopez deserves an Oscar for her supporting role, period. She completely transforms into Ramona and takes command of every scene she's in. The cast was amazing, the script, the acting, the comedy, the drama, the emotion, the cinematography, everything just flowed graciously. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who loves a classic crime/mafia film a la Goodfellas or Boogie Nights. Expand
ViniAndradeSep 15, 2019
Best Filme of the Year!!!!! Jennifer Lopez Best Supporting Actress Oscar 2020
dallasonlineSep 15, 2019
Loved this movie! Jennifer Lopez and Constance Wu were amazing together. I worked in these types of clubs as a bartender for 10+ years and the movie was spot on.
quiquemurolopezSep 14, 2019
All the awards buzz is well deserved (and overdue in Jlo's case)! It goes much deeper than what you'd expect from the trailer...
padmasatoriSep 15, 2019
A very entertaining movie that has a fresh and interesting perspective into the world of hustlers. I was skeptical about watching it at first but decided to watch it since it was my mom's birthday and let's just say, I wasn't bored at all. ItA very entertaining movie that has a fresh and interesting perspective into the world of hustlers. I was skeptical about watching it at first but decided to watch it since it was my mom's birthday and let's just say, I wasn't bored at all. It kept me guessing, laughing and empathyzing with the characters. Expand
DavidTovar29Sep 13, 2019
wanna c how Cardi B makes her shows
Jlo's got EVERYTHING FOR this movie
Lizzo es demasiado arte, ojalá no le llegue su Chun Li
Ramtin_TiSep 13, 2019
Actress-Lo Is Back!
Best movie of 2019
JLo Should Win an Oscar For This!!!!!
DreyyySep 12, 2019
Loved seeing JLo playing a different role, you can't deny her shining in this!
Davrosdaleks1Sep 13, 2019
Hustlers, based on a true story, is about a group of strippers who suffering financially after the crash of 2008 start drugging and stealing from well-off guys. To be honest, I wouldn't have watched this if it wasn't for the fact that thereHustlers, based on a true story, is about a group of strippers who suffering financially after the crash of 2008 start drugging and stealing from well-off guys. To be honest, I wouldn't have watched this if it wasn't for the fact that there weren't any films out this weekend that I was particularly jazzed about. Still I try to rationalize the cost of my AMC A-List subscription by seeing at least one movie a week. I was really glad I chose this one.

This is an interesting film. It's a morally gray movie that focuses on the ethical murkiness of the situation of women taking advantage of the type of men who take advantage of them. The movie doesn't try to take a particular stand but just wants you to watch in fascination like a good true crime story. This also sort of has a heist-type feel to it. It's also pretty funny at moments.

The film does a good job of making you like the strippers at the outset before their actions become more complex and shadier. All four leads are great. I particularly liked Fresh off the Boat/Crazy Rich Asians' Constance Wu as the lead in a well-balanced performance. Keke Palmer also has great comedic chops in this.

Director Lorene Scafaria (who directed Looking for a Friend for the End of the World, an interesting film) really has a confident hold on this film. This is one of those movies that does an excellent job of leading the viewer. There are just some really strong edits and other ideas. The lighting, the outfits, the musical selections, etc. are all good.

Overall, the Hustlers is very interesting, very enthralling.
DibudiazSep 14, 2019
An entertaining movie with sn amazing soundtrack, definitely worth a watch.
Brirashae94Sep 13, 2019
Was a great movie for a girl night out. Plot was amazing. Acting was great and funny. Hope to see Cardi b in more things
HugoemaSep 13, 2019
JLo es excelente actriz, se merece ser nominada al Oscar, Golden Globe, SAG y BAFTA. Y no soy el único que lo dice, ella tendría que tener esos premios hace años, por Selena, Out Of Sight, The Cell y Enough.
poppers2Sep 14, 2019
Haven't watched it yet but Lizzo and Keke Palmer are queens! Stream Cuz I Love You by Lizzo. K Bye!
Heddy69Sep 12, 2019
One of the best movie of the year. I wasn't seduce with the movie poster but the movie is very different than a party.
YelySep 13, 2019
Very good jlo did great and Card b was very funny great job to all the actresses.
RealrgSep 13, 2019
Love it! A great movie for all to see! You will be transported to the world of Romana and her crew!
bigboySep 12, 2019
One of the best movies of the year, easily. Sharply crafted, electric fun and witty, also so smart. The Oscar buzz for JLo was so damn right.
WITCHMYERSSep 12, 2019
Wow!!Wow!!Wow!!Wow!! this is so fantastic to watch. Jennifer Lopez is doing great, she deserves a oscar, golden globe and all those things
ATP199Sep 19, 2019
Sold smartly with style and verve, it shakes off its more uneven moments with one of those rare, genuine movie-star turns from Lopez; an eminently watchable performance.
matthewmirlianiSep 18, 2019
A mix of comedy, true crime, and social commentary, Hustlers is a visually engaging, well-written, and overall enjoyable cinematic experience. Jennifer Lopez delivers a bravura performance truly worthy of a Best Supporting Actress nominationA mix of comedy, true crime, and social commentary, Hustlers is a visually engaging, well-written, and overall enjoyable cinematic experience. Jennifer Lopez delivers a bravura performance truly worthy of a Best Supporting Actress nomination at the Oscars. Her Ramona is charismatic, nuanced, scheming, funny, suave, and motherly all at once; though largely an ensemble piece, Lopez’s performance truly ties the entire film together — from her dazzling entrance to her final line. Expand
Compi24Sep 17, 2019
Fresh off its illustrious festival debut at TIFF, writer/director Lorene Scafaria's "Hustlers" represents a solidly crafted and evocatively vibrant portrait of a true-to-life world of depravity, desperation, and crime, but not a whole lotFresh off its illustrious festival debut at TIFF, writer/director Lorene Scafaria's "Hustlers" represents a solidly crafted and evocatively vibrant portrait of a true-to-life world of depravity, desperation, and crime, but not a whole lot else. As a morality play, the film wavers between ambivalently observing and downright smirking at the questionable actions of the characters at large, an approach that doesn't exactly line up symmetrically with the more stern and cautionary final act. How are we supposed to feel about these characters? I at least felt certain of this at the end of the film, but throughout? Not sure. The performances are all quite good, with Constance Wu and Jennifer Lopez among the standouts. I honestly wish I had more to say with this one, but I really don't think I was given that much else to discuss. Expand
WagyuMeatloafSep 18, 2019
Ignore the incels/misogynists here and other sites leaving transparently bad scores and reviews. This movie is entertaining and Lopez and Wu put in strong performances. My main criticism is it does drag some in the second act and, while theIgnore the incels/misogynists here and other sites leaving transparently bad scores and reviews. This movie is entertaining and Lopez and Wu put in strong performances. My main criticism is it does drag some in the second act and, while the story is told from Wu's perspective, they should've done a better job developing Lopez's backstory. Expand
gfxlonghornSep 17, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Interesting premise ruined by characters that are not really redeemable or like-able. Maybe it's limited by the source material, but very little is done to build up the strippers as the protagonists. Also, the disjointed nature of the interview style of story telling did not suit this movie well; especially with the weird non-drama that is created when Julia Stiles' character is "kicked out" of the interview, only to be called 10 seconds later with no plot in between. J-lo, Cardi B, Lizzo, and the chihuahua are the only highlights of the film for me. Expand
musicsauthoritySep 18, 2019
I have to agree on this one, I am such a JLO fan but this movie was not as good as the critics say. It was basically JLO being JLO! I mean, her opening scene on the pole was GLORIOUS but the movie was not really fun. I thought it was going toI have to agree on this one, I am such a JLO fan but this movie was not as good as the critics say. It was basically JLO being JLO! I mean, her opening scene on the pole was GLORIOUS but the movie was not really fun. I thought it was going to be entertaining but it was rather boring and serious. Also, the main plot of the movie didn't begin until 45 minutes in. The pacing was lacking. Expand