6.4

1. May 3, 2013
    Boring, boring, boring.... is it a disappointment? no.... just a confirmation about the path superheroes movies are following. Empty, not funny, not sad, incoherent, ridiculous. A good movie needs a good villain. And IM3 epic failed on this point. Unfortunately it is not the only pitfall in this movie. The end s**** and takes us for idiots... How can they ruined this movie with so many good stories in the comic book? Hope Disney won't botch star wars as they are doing with marvel... Expand
  2. May 3, 2013
    Warning SPOILERS. A film directed by Shane Black instead of Jon Favreau and you can tell from the very beginning. As such it carries almost a darker tone when compared to the previous two films. It shows the impact of what happened in New York in a way i did not expect. Instead of Tony Stark carrying on like he is invincible the events of The Avengers has shown that Iron Man is not as invulnerable as he would seem. As the film progresses it is clear Tony is suffering from PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and is plagued with nightmares and having panic attacks which is something you wouldnt have seen in Iron Man 1-2.

Inspiration for the film was taken from the Extremis storyline from a few years ago a story that also helped shape the look of the original suit in the first film and its evolution in the second. The action as ever is fantastic, bombastic and adrenaline fuelled. From the scene where the house in Malibu is attacked to the final fight between the films antagonist but more on that later. It felt as if there was less action than the previous but that may be because this film is much more of a Tony Stark story than an Iron Man. For much of the film Tony is stranded and is forced to build his own means of protecting himself without relying on the suit. However when the suit is in the frame it does not disappoint. Very early on were shown one of the suits featured in the film and from those early scenes the suit seems to take on a character of its own and could almost be considered a form of comic relief similar to the mechanical arms in the the other films. I say one of the suits because unless you have somehow managed to evade any of the promo material for the film you will be very aware that there is much more than just one new suit. I cannot go into detail but fans of the comics will enjoy suits that appear to be based on some of the famous comic book incarnations such as the silver centurion and one that could be based on the infamous hulk buster armour.

Moving onto the villain of the film as we have been lead to believe it was to be portrayed by one Sir Ben Kingsley. In a move in which i believe to be both bold and brilliant we learn that the Mandarin is not who we believe it to be. What will no doubt enrage the hardcore it seems that real villain is actually Guy Pierce's Aldric Killian and that the Mandarin is nothing but a creation of his designed to insight fear. When Black could of gone the somewhat obvious way of making the Mandarin some sort of middle eastern power he has taken the film in a direction that i feel is more adult than the previous films as it seems more intelligent then the comic book films that we are gifted every summer and is something i would like to see continue in the rest of Marvels phase 2 and 3 films. I think in making the films more than what some may assume just action films they will garner more widespread appeal. Aldric's evolution as a villain start right at the very beginning of the story and continues to grow throughout the film. Guy Pierce seems to enjoy himself in this role and will no doubt receive some a great many female fans from his performance. However i hope he told Ridley Scott that he was gonna borrow some of the tech from Prometheus im sure the Weyland corporation would have something to say about that.

What Shane Black and his team has done is to instead to trying to make a film bigger than the Avengers and in making it a more personal story have created a film that stands on its own two feet. Unlike Iron Man 2 which struggled being in the middle of Phase 1 and needed to sort of seed both Thor and Captain America this film is allowed to evolve Tony Starks character more and give you an ending which i definitely did not expect and am genuinely excited to where it can go next. Downey Jr IS Tony Stark and even though his contract appears to be up Marvel would be mad not to throw money at him to get him to return as now no one could see anyone else filling Starks suits.

I do have a few minor problem though i do think that the character of Maya Hansen who was an important character in the comics was almost criminally under used. With few appearances in the film and not alot of character development there was definitely something more that could have been done for her. The same could have been said for Col James Rhodes who featured prominently in the promo material wearing the Iron Patriot armour. We never really got to see him get going till just over mid way through the film which was dissapointing as i wanted to see more of the Iron Patriot and see what it was capable of but maybe just maybe thats being saved for Avengers 2.

Besides those few minor problems this is a fantastic and highly enjoyable film that established fans should enjoy and is a ideal jumping on point for people who have managed to evade all the other films. Whilst it doesnt reach the heights of the Avengers its still the best Iron Man film and deserved a solid 9.
  3. May 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ***Spoilers like whoa, warning***

Over all id have to say i was mildly disappointed with Iron Man 3, and for several reasons.
    First and foremost, The Mandarin as a villain was a Chines born martial arts expert and got his supernatural abilities from 10 rings of power, he was NOT just the alter ego of Aldrich Killian(Guy Pearce in the movie), the scientist who helped invent the Extrmis Virus. Also, Iron Patriot was not a repainted war machine, he was Norman Osbourn in a stolen iron man suit.

Personally, ive always been a fan of Iron Man and the best parts of the movie for me, are watching Tony actually wearing a "working" suit of armor and fighting the villain of the movie using all the latest technologies he had developed for his latest edition of the suit. If you are like me, you will be disappointed, at least till the absolute very end, as Tony spends 90% of the movie out of his armor and the one he does don is a non combat ready prototype that barely has flight capabilities. I get where they were going with this, trying to show the more personal side of Tony and how he has evolved from a self centered rich douche to what he is now.

The Final battle is pretty cool though, although i was REALLY upset with the end. He destroys all his suits, has an operation so he no longer has to wear his arc reactor in his chest. Essentially, Tony Stark is done being Iron Man and is ready to start his life over with Pepper.....wtf.
    So much for Avengers 2?
  4. May 3, 2013
    Iron man 3 was a breath of fresh air when compared to recent comic book movies. As a personal fan od both the marvel cinematic universe and Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy; I enjoy action packed movies. While Iron Man 3 had some outstanding action and stunning CGI the main focus of the story was Tony Starks personal Journey. Without giving to much way I can also tell you that there are some EXTREMIS-ly (if u have seen the movie you will get that) surprising twists that add great depth to the plot. The standout however was the movies dramatic intensity and surprisingly humurous fun. Overall a fantastic film and a worthy end to the Iron Man Trilogy. 10 out of 10. Expand
  5. May 4, 2013
    Tony Stark, you know him, you love him; the man, the myth, the legend makes his return as the beloved metal man, aka Iron Man. This time around we find Tony struggling with the aftermath of The Avengers and the negative toll it’s taking, not only on him but on Pepper as well. Sleep evades him and when he does sleep he is met with nightmarish flashbacks of the past events in New York. He feels helpless and out of touch with everything in his life. He feels Pepper pulling away from him and he wants nothing more than to have her at his side.

In a moment of delirium and anger, Tony threatens a man known globally as The Mandarin (Ben Kingsley) who is responsible for hurting those closest to Tony. It isn’t long before The Mandarin takes Tony up on his offer and attacks Iron Man in his own home, and it is one hell of an attack. All this pain and chaos is a result of past mistakes made by Tony in the late 90’s. The thing of it is, he didn’t even realize his mistakes until present day and by then it’s far too late for apologies.

All at once Tony’s already turbulent life gets thrown into turmoil and he’s left with no real help other than the head on his shoulders. Will Tony find his way out of this one? I could say but I’m just going to assume you, the reader, are not dumb. Remembering not long ago this was being pegged as by far the most serious in the Iron Man trilogy and I can honestly say without spoiling anything that is in no way true, in fact if you ask me I would say this is bar far the most humorous of them all. So humorous that sometimes the funny even gets in the way. It feels like they had so many jokes and no intention of getting rid of any of them that they just threw them all in and quite a few fell into places they didn’t belong. Don’t get me wrong, I want and love the humor, it’s one of the many charms of this character, but I also want the seriousness of the character as well. There were moments of true peril and tenseness and they just get stopped short with some “gag”. It sometimes felt out of place, but altogether not enough to hurt the film all too much.

This has all the elements we loved about the first two Iron Man films, but it has a pace and uniqueness about it that sets itself apart. I would say aside from the misplaced humor here and there I only had two real qualms with Iron Man 3. First is the lack of Tony in the suit, it felt like a lot of time is wasted with him running around without it. Tony Stark is a great character outside of the suit but more time flying around would have been nice. The second were the villains, I won’t say anything specific but I will just bring up the film franchise of The Terminator and leave it at that. Even with these minor mishaps, Iron Man 3 is a very welcome addition to the Marvel Universe and a very strong start to Phase II.
  6. May 3, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is fast-paced, high-flying piece of quality entertainment. It's got enough action, humor, and character so the movie almost never misses a beat. Plus, the performances from the cast, most notably Downey Jr. and Kingsley, are just plain great.

Now, there is a plot point which I'm sure will disappoint many, but I sincerely it was well-executed and worked within the film's
    context. However, the film sometimes suffers from some scenes with obvious attempts at forced humor.

But overall, it's great.
  7. May 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When it comes to Iron Man, or any Marvel movie for that matter, I'm skeptical. They can be really good like: Spiderman; The Avengers and X-men or utter like Thor; The Hulk or Elektra. Iron Man to me is a mixed bag in that it can be good or mediocre. I personally disliked the first one and loved the second. What about this Iron Man movie how did it fair. I mean when we went to see it the tickets were sold out. Thankfully we wisely bought our tickets online unlike some people. Anyway the movie, was it truly the summer blockbuster we were waiting for? Was it truly a perfect movie like we had thought? NO! It wasn't, it really wasn't. Does that mean it was bad? Well no it was, OK. I won't completely spoil the story, but in my opinion it was an excuse plot that ties in with the Avengers movie(which by the way is referenced a lot in this movie). I really did not find the story very interesting, at all. Like I said, it is an excuse plot, there is nothing you can't predict, save for one scene. The slower scenes in the movie really offset the more action oriented scenes, to the point of being boring. I'm serious you are gonna be think can these people shut up and get to the action already. Oh by the way, I hope you like Deus Ex Machina's cause this movie has a metric ton of them. There were plenty of times where I went "oh Bull****". Robert Downey, Jr. reprises his role as Tony Stark Iron Man and as always he does an excellent job in this role. He really brings life to an otherwise lifeless movie. As always he really gets into character and has fun with it and in turn we have fun too. What about the other character? Well, for the most part, they kinda suck. Don Cheadle as James "Rhodey" Rhodes aka Iron Patriot(what a stupid name) is in the movie but barely does anything. Gwyneth Paltrow as Virginia "Pepper" Potts is just there to get captured, that's it. The kid, well I hate kids in action movies, so there is your answer .What about The Mandarin? Let me answer that in a question. WHAT THE DID THEY DO TO THE MANDARIN?!! The Mandarin has always been one of my favorite marvel villains, so when I learned he would be the main villain I was hyped. When he is revealed he looks and sounds awesome and in scene in the movie where we see how cruel he is, I thought I can't wait to see him fight. So disappointed was I, because HE'S NOT EVEN THE MAIN VILLAIN! What they did to such a cool villain was downright criminal and I know I sound like a crazed fan boy, but when I saw the real villain it was impossible to not be aggravated. Seriously the writers thought the villain reveal was clever, but it was so obvious to anyone who graduated 6th grade. So the story suck, most of the characters were lame, but what about the the action and effect were they at least good? Actually they were. The suit were pretty well made, granted I am well aware that they were cgi, but the get the job done. The action was definitely great even when Iron man didn't have his suit, he was still awesome. I won't give it away but the final action scene was one of the greatest things ever, however I can't help but feel Iron Man gets his ass kick just a little too much, but the scenes are still memorable. Finally let me warn you, do not sit through the credits! All you will get is a shameless, shoehorn cameo and the most insulting sequel set up ever! In fact it isn't even a sequel set up, because the writers thought it would be awesome to blatantly tell you that "Tony Stark will return" for another cash-in. Wow! you guys. With that being said the final score for Iron Man 3 is a 6/10 it's decent. The action and effect is what you came for and you get it. The movie also had genuinely funny jokes and like I said Robert Downey, Jr. is a joy in this movie as he normally is. However the other characters and story gravely missed their marks. Expand
  8. May 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ironman 3 was very fun and a great film to watch. I plan on seeing it in theaters more then once. It has humor and action. I loved every second of the movie Expand
  9. May 4, 2013
    Tenia muchas expectativas respecto a este film y todas se cumplieron a la perfección, Encuentro muy equilibrada la muestra entre el humor y la acción. Me encanto el enfoque que le dieron debido a que la película giro entorno al cambio hacia lo positivo de Tony Star y creo que fue un toque perfecto El poder compartir con otras personas y que enfrentara aquello que lo atormentaba desde el incidente en Nueva York Expand
  10. May 4, 2013
    Iron man 3 is a fun well filmed superhero move although at times the humor seems a bit much it almost never fails to make you laugh. The tone seems to be much darker than any previous marvel movie but it fits the place that Tony has to go. The one problem with the movie is the twist it had, comic book fans will not enjoy this twist I being one of them was able to get by it but really wish they didn't go that direction. Overall iron man 3 is great movie that may have one disapointing moment and too much humor it is still a fun great superhero movie to kick off the summer Expand
  11. May 5, 2013
    Plot Tony Stark has hit a bit of a lull in his life since saving the world in “Avengers Assemble”. As well as that a series of panic attacks, the threat of terrorism and a demon from Starks past threatens to push him to the very edge.

When the lights in the cinema went down and the screen sparked into life, it was official. Blockbuster season has begun...and with a great big bang and a
    few wisecracks so has Marvel’s Phase 2! So if anyone is unfamiliar with the phrasing; Phase 1 were the films leading to “Avengers Assemble” so Phase 2 is the next lot of films leading to “Avengers 2”.

So now that has been dealt with we can get going to the review. Eyebrows were raised when it was announced that Jon Favreau has stepped down from the Iron Man franchise. So filling his boots was “Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang” helmer, Shane Black who has cemented his legacy into the hearts of Marvel geeks everywhere. We are given a brilliant, funny, explosion filled tale of revenge, redemption and rebuilding.

A major theme of the film is Tony Starks newfound vulnerability and Black and co-writer Drew Pearce play with this throughout the film. There are large parts of the film where Stark is out of his supersuits (of which there are now 42!) and deprived of his flash lifestyle. It is a side of him that is completely different to the “genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist” of which we are so used to. It is a smart move, you have a multi million pound star in Robert Downey Jr and you go and cover him with a mask. It really gives Downey Jr a chance to showcase his acting talent and he impresses as well. There is a wonderful moment when Stark expresses his fears of losing Pepper (Gwyneth Paltrow).

The plot may sound a bit like last years big threequel “The Dark Knight Rises” but there is a strong focus on fun throughout the film. The wisecracks are as frequent as ever (there are at least 3 Downton Abbey jokes) and there are even bits of slapstick here and there. Downey Jr is brilliant at keeping the comedy up but good at toning it down when it needs it.

As you may have noticed from the trailers, another major theme of “Iron Man 3” is revenge. Stark has his moments but the real epitome of revenge is baddie Aldrich Killian, played by Guy Pearce in his best performance for years. In the comics, Killian is one of the scientists behind the Extremis virus, a serum aimed at recreating the Super Soldier serum which created Captain America. This provides “Iron Man 3” with some exciting action sequences and special effects accompanied by“Terminator 2” like regrowing of limbs.

The other main cast members have a good film as well, Col. James Rhodes (Don Cheadle) is used as a major part of the plot this time around after being an afterthought for the first 2 films. However Rebecca Hall, who plays Dr. Maya Hansen, doesn’t get nearly enough screen time. This is also surprisingly the case for Ben Kingsley’s Mandarin. This is merely nitpicking though

There are many twists and turns but no spoilers will be divulged here! However if you haven’t seen “Avengers Assemble” you might not understand the finer points of the plot. It is by far the best film the Tony Stark/Iron Man character has appeared in and a lot of the credit goes to the Black/Pearce combination as well as Downey Jr himself with another great performance.
    Oh and there is an ingenious post credits scene.
  12. May 5, 2013
    I

I loved this Movie, I cannot begin to imagine why some people are giving it such bad reviews, I loved the what they did with the mandarin and the flash back sort of thing at the beginning, and from what I hear from friends there is something interesting after the credits and because I was foolish enough to leave before they had finished I sadly missed it, so if you haven't been to see
    it yet, I recommend you do and that you stay until after the credits. Expand
  13. May 5, 2013
    This Movie is Terrible, It is by far the worst superhero movie every made. This movie has single handedly destroyed the franchise. How did anyone sign off on this horrible script?... I've never been so pissed about a movie being deceptive. Give me my money back!
  14. May 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think iron man 3 is an amazing movie if super hero movies this will be an amazing movie for u and this was not a disappointment it's was surprise go see it its not a waste of money Expand
  15. May 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie defied every expectation I had for the film. Nothing that happened in this film even came close to what I thought was going to happen. It took me sleeping on it to come to the conclusion that this is the smartest Marvel film so far. Was I disappointed that there was no showdown with Iron Man and the Mandarin? At first, I was. Also, I was thrown off by the Extremis plot. But, after letting it simmer and thinking about the Marvel film universe, I think they did an amazing job with it. I see a lot of people hating on the fact that the Mandarin was not done properly. If you just view the film as it is, not as you were expecting, you may find that it was an enjoyable ride.

Also, the kid in the film reminded my of Sean Astin in The Goonies.
  16. May 6, 2013
    The action scenes are good, story is interesting and the effects are amazing. But you can guess who is the real bad guy just from the start of the movie, and sometimes the tension is more in front pages. But, it is a great movie besides these.
  17. May 6, 2013
    This is a very entertaining movie. It may not follow the comic book story as much as people (fans) wanted it to but as far as an entertaining action packed summer movie is concerned, it actually lives up to the hype. Iron Man was better and obviously so was Avengers but this is definitely a huge step up from Iron Man 2. Most people will love the movie but i can see why fans are disliking it a bit.

Overall for most movie goers, it is money well spent. Cant wait for Man of Steel in Imax though lol
  18. May 9, 2013
    Xmen 3 of Iron Man movies. Bring in a new director, take characters from the comics and completely change them, make commercials seem like its a different movie. Gimp out Iron Man for no real reason...
    Horrible movie from start to finish. Highly disappointed.
  19. May 10, 2013
    excellent in acting...action....comedy parts...story level little bit confusing but over all a complete entertainer.....first two iron man films does not have this level of action parts n comedy parts..........robert downey junior steals the show.... i love it
  20. May 17, 2013
    This probably must be the best Marvel movie yet I liked every aspect of it and I think you should go watch it .
    The only thing I didn't like was the music and that's why I'm giving it a 9 instead of a full 10.
  21. May 12, 2013
    I thought the supposedly family film "Iron Man 3" is a dreadful effort and not much of a fun summer movie that I was expecting. From the smarmy performance of Downey Jr to the uninspiring story with its overkill of violence and sex and what can one say about that ridiculous ending. Well, at least you get a couple of well executed action sequences for your money but that is about all. Not many campers coming out with a smile on their face on this one. Expand
  22. May 15, 2013
    Iron Man 3: Epic, Fun & Thrilling. A movie that every Marvel fan will keep in high esteem among themselves. A great first step on the verge of Phase 2.
  23. May 19, 2013
    Exciting, reverent and lively adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald classic indictment of nouveau rich extravagance and old money hubris in pre-depression New York is easily the best cinematic adaptation of the source material. Director Baz Lurman's signature kinetic style is on full display here, but less headache-inducing than in Romeo Juliet and Moulin Rougue. Elaborate party sequences, hair-raising driving scenes and an effectively anachronistic score keep the pace alive as the familair story works towards its tragic climax. Expand
  24. Jun 14, 2013
    Tony Stark spent about 15 minutes total wearing the suit. Marvel needs to stop letting the actors walk all over them with the "I want people to see my face" thing. This movie was called Iron Man. If I wanted to see some guy using gardening gloves modded with junk he got at Home Depot I'd watch "Home Depot Modded Gardening Gloves Man." The only reason I gave this a 2 and not a zero is because the honor of being the worst movie ever goes to Superman Returns. Expand
  25. Jul 12, 2013
    The movie isn't as good as the first Iron Man but better than Iron Man 2. Iron Man 3 has less humor and less action and it didn't follow the footsteps of the comic book story line, which is kind of disappointing. But on the other hand, I was entertained enough in Iron Man 3 with the dazzling visuals and good twists.
  26. May 8, 2013
    Not as good as the first, but leagues better than the abysmal second. It just feels a little hollow at times, and the huge action sequence at the end is just like every other comic book movie these days you get caught up in the antiseptic, metallic blur of it all, knowing that nothing is really at stake. The sequences with the kid are fun, and the various uses of the suits are innovative. Stark is more interesting this time around. I'll compare this series to The Matrix series now. The first is excellent the second completely sucked, and the third is much better than the second, but nowhere near as good as the first. And if you haven't seen it, don't bother sticking around for the post-credits sequence. They mailed that sucker in. (Not nearly as badly as the new Evil Dead, however....) Expand
  27. May 5, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is the beginning of the new summer blockbuster movie with Marvel fans are participating for the new sequel. The first Iron Man was the original classic superhero movie, the second one did alright, but even though the moviegoers didn't appreciate the sequel, and of course third one was okay. The story takes place where Iron Man/Tony Stark fights over Mandarin to assassinate the president with his reinforce baddies. Robert Downey Jr. returns as Tony Stark known as Iron Man is planning to make a new magnetize costume to suit it up, but overall he needs to spend time with his girlfriend (Gwyneth Paltrow) in the holidays. The two main villains are Mandarin (Ben Kingsley) and Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce) are making an evil plan to kill Iron Man and to kill the president, but not Mandarin its Killian. The action scenes are spectacular and the effects are well done, but the only two good parts in this movie was Iron Man saves the passengers from the sky and Iron Man faces Killian at the docks with full of Iron suits. I would say that Shane Black did very well with the action scenes and the effects are good, but overall the movie wasn't that spectacular like most other Iron Man movies or even classic The Avengers. My main problem is that characters are a little bit too much, the lines are off charted, and sometimes it’s okay to check out the action scenes. It just difference between Stark with his girlfriend, Stark get complain with the little boy, Stark didn't realize that his old girlfriend works with Killian, or even the villain like Mandarin was a goof ball pretending a bad guy and just a fraud actor, but it needs to rewrite the lines and the story needs to take it seriously. Iron Man 3 was okay, but not is much. Thumb Down. Expand
  28. May 9, 2013
    I thought the movie was good. Robert Downy Jr was excellent. The plot line was a bit lame but what do you expect from a popcorn action movie when the hero knows all along he is not in any real danger. OK for a rainy Saturday afternoon.
  29. May 19, 2013
    Never attains the dark toned ways it seems to want to achieve and takes some easy ways out but Iron Man 3, for all intents and purposes is good entertainment.
  30. May 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was pretty disappointed in the movie.

The whole Tony Stark inner turmoil thing really didn't ring true for me. I get the whole dwelling on "aliens really exist" thing, but it didn't really work IMHO. As well the use of the Mandarin really was disappointing. He could have been a really good evil character. Ben Kingsley could have absolutely nailed it if left to make the character his own.

As it was it was an OK movie. Watch it if you like the superhero genre, if not its not that interesting.
  31. May 11, 2013
    Overall I liked Iron Man 3. While I prefer the light-hearted tone of the original this one was pretty entertaining. Robert Dowry Jr. was entertaining as always, there was some good action, and the conflict was intriguing. While the film was nowhere near as good as Iron Man 1 it still managed to be entertaining. If you are sick of the superhero movies by now this one is not going to change your mind. However, if you’ve liked the previous ones I think you will like this one ok. Iron Man 3 is not as good as the Avengers or Iron Man 1 but still has enough entertainment in it to keep your interest. Expand
  32. May 5, 2013
    A very well made film with the kind of top-notch special effects as we’ve come to expect from these guys. I’m not going to get into the 2D vs. 3D debate but I have to say I did watch it in 2D and I can’t really see how 3D would have improved it. All the performances were excellent as usual with Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow taking top plaudits (for me anyway). I also have to mention the young Ty Simpkins who plays a kid, Harley Keener, who befriends Tony when he’s ‘dead’. He played his part very well and we can only hope it leads to bigger things for the young man. I did enjoy this one though despite a rather complicated plot and the usual over-the-top fight sequence towards the end it’s definitely worth a look.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.2/10
  33. May 19, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is essentially exactly the same thing as the first two Iron Man films with new villains and challenges. In many franchises, this would be a bit boring, but seeing how Iron Man's franchise has plenty of money, smart dialogue, and Robert Downey Jr. always spot-on as Tony Stark. This film seemed to pick up more steam as it progressed, but there were too many points where I felt like the movie just didn't seem as interesting. The parallels drawn to the Avengers movie and the effects being felt by Tony Stark is just as interesting, if not more, than even Guy Pearce playing a great villain. Totally worth the money to see it in theaters, but I am going out on a limb to say this is the weakest of the three films for Iron Man. It's still good, but it just seems to lack a little of the magic the first two movies brought. Whether they continue Iron Man or not doesn't seem to matter right now as Avengers 2 is in the works, which will likely bring plenty of Iron Man/Tony Stark, so I'm okay with this being it for a while for a dedicated Iron Man film since it's not the end of Iron Man on the big screen. Expand
  34. May 22, 2013
    I don't read Iron Man comic books so I cannot comment on how faithful the movie is, but taken on its own I thought it was a decent film. It has a lot of ludicrous, over the top moments, however I can forgive that since it is based on a comic book. For me, it was so over the top that it had more of a comic book feel than some of the other Marvel films I have seen. The movie would fall flat without Robert Downey's deadpan delivery, and there was nothing new in the plot that you haven't seen before other than the pieces of armor that automatically attach themselves to Iron Man. The 3-D and special effects were excellent and it was never boring. It was much better than the last installment. Expand
  35. May 4, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is funny and has some good special effects. I went in hoping for a bit of an emotional arc as Iron Man 2 let me down in this regard. While it seemed like they tried to make this happen, it was not well executed and now I'm back to where I was. I don't really care about the villain bait-and-switch as Kingsley was very funny (best part of the movie) and who cares about following the comics. If I want the comics I'll go sit down and read them. The writing for the true villain was weak and his motivation was slim. Get better scripts Marvel! Sheesh! Expand
  36. May 19, 2013
    Iron Man 3. Bigger in every way than 1 or 2 but does that make it better? I'm not sure. The action and 3D special effects are brilliant and the story with a great twist is something different for a Marvel movie. Lots of great comedy as well, which is fitting with director Shane Blacks previous movies like Lethal Weapon. However I feel my expectations were too high after The Avengers which has set the super hero "bar" so high that Iron Man on his own just can't match. BTW the scene after the credits is not worth waiting for which sums up my slight disappointment. Expand
  37. May 8, 2013
    Really people thought this movie sucked! I suppose you think that Les Miserables was better? This is only the stupid fanboys spilling that stupid I really like this movie. It was a lot of action. the story was good and I was entertained all the way through. Tony Stark asked the question "Is it the man that makes suit or is it the suit that makes the man? I think we learned that from this movie. I also realized that there were people that didn't like the last Iron Man movie. I was not one of those as I loved it! Expand
  38. Jun 14, 2013
    Iron Man 3 has amazing effects and fine performances, but the story is what drags it down. It starts off well, testing Tony in ways the audience hasn't seen anymore, but quick fixes to the plot make these elements cliched and underdeveloped. The twist with the villain also ruined the movie, especially because Guy Pearce was not a good replacement for the Manderin. All in all, Iron Man fails to deliver anything worth watching, which is unfortunate after the success of phase 1 of Avengers filmed. Highly disappointed. Expand
  39. May 24, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is packed with action, it manages to remain impressive even after the Avengers, which is a feat in itself. It suffers from an uneven pace, but it also offers space to Tony Stark to be himself outside the suit. Ben Kingsley is nothing short of outstanding and he manages to make the "sacrifice" of the Mandarin worthwhile. The film also adds in a discrete commentary on politics, something unexpected in a superhero movie. Above all, though, it was fun and funny. Expand
  40. May 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. it's ok until about 3/4 of the way in....then a "plot twist" that renders the whole movie lame and and ending of epic fail proportions. (army of suits? puh-lease). Expand
  41. May 6, 2013
    Awful movie that made a complete mockery of the franchise. I really liked the first movie (loved the first half of the first movie). I was okay with the second movie. But this third movie was just...wtf. I've never seen a major villain ruined so thoroughly like they ruined The Mandarin. To quote Stark/Rhodes on The Mandarin, as a way to paraphrase the movie "It's embarrassing." The Mandarin has been effectively turned into a joke. The big "reveal" with "The Mandarin" has to be my least favorite Marvel film moment ever. The Mandarin is supposed to be to Iron Man what The Joker is to Batman, what Lex Luthor is to Superman. He's THE arch-villain... What happened, Marvel? You just had to go and make Iron Man 3 into a big budget spy spoof buddy film with as much slapstick and sophomoric humor you could squeeze in. Lame. DISAPPOINTMENT. Expand
  42. Sep 23, 2013
    The worst movie from Marvel Studios yet! What a cop out with the Mandarin. Never have I witnessed a movie in the theater where people were booing at the end instead of clapping.
  43. May 9, 2013
    I agree that this movie fell a little short on big action sequences. I would have liked a lot more Stark-in-Suit scenes not sure why they felt so few and far between. However it lived up to the quality of the previous films and had a lot of really fun sequences in it.
  44. Jun 3, 2013
    Definitely Iron Man's strongest outing on the big screen yet. This is a darker, yet more comedic take on the superhero we have all come to love. It also features Downey's greatest performance in the suit to date. The plot itself is not meant to be taken seriously. Iron Man is no Dark Knight, and directer Shane Black is more than aware of that. A great Iron Man movie, and a good addition to Marvel's ever growing big-screen lore. Expand
  45. May 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So much of this film competes with itself and feels rushed. None of the elements are fully fleshed out. Just when they start to go somewhere, they sidetrack to a different plot element. This should have been a 3 hour movie. I get the feeling much was cut from the film and it shows. This movie has 4 true scenes and they all do not mesh very well: Tony Stark's relationship problems, the small town with the gumshoe element, the president and Mandarin, and the final fight. This movie definitely cheats you when it comes to Mandarin, and I wish they had left it out...completely. The trailer sets the movie up, as does the movie, and this sidetracks the true plot completely. They didn't give any hint that this was a red herring. Hollywood got you here. Liars.

The ending made this seem less like a superhero movie and more like the ending to Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Hey, same director, same droll monologue by Robert Downey Jr. The anxiety attacks were the worst thing about the movie. Completely unbelievable and he gets over them WAY too fast. I wanted this to come into play more.

The comedy was intact and is the movie's only redeeming quality, but even it felt force. It was less natural and more forced. I did enjoy the finale, but it was over without a very good resolution. Some much of the film was cameo and CG to fill the roll of bad acting. They did this with New York in Avenger's and it worked, but this wasn't a Joss Whedon film, so it lacked that seemless transition. It was staged and right out of the trailer.

Could have been much better. The first Iron Man and the Avengers were way more fleshed out and complete.
  46. May 26, 2013
    If your looking for an entertaining movie then this isnt a bad choice.....that being said. This wasnt a superhero movie it was a "hollywoodized" mess. They let a writer direct his second movie ever and it realy shows. Without giving any spoilers out there the writer/director made some decisions and it was a huge mistake. If they ever let this guy direct another Marvel or DC movie again, they will simply be committing suicide. My reasoning for 0/10 rating is simple bad script/direction so much so that it fails the whole movie. Everything else was good to great but this shouldnt have been an "Ironman" movie change some the names and call it something else then it would deserve a higher rating as for now it gets what Ive given it. Complete disgrace to Marvel. Expand
  47. May 31, 2013
    A third Iron Man movie and hopes were high for an improvement on the damp squib that was episode 2, so have things returned to the heady heights of Iron Man 1 with it's wit, charm and tongue firmly planted in its Marvel cheek?Well its certainly an improvement, that's the good news. Trouble is, for starters its running time is a flabby 2hrs 15 mins, easily 30 mins too long, the villains are largely uninteresting, and for an Iron Man movie, he's hardly suited up for the first hour of the movie! Thankfully Downey Jnr and Paltrow still have a great chemistry, effects and action sequences, when thy finally turn up, are excellent, but compared to last years "Marvels The Avengers" this is still a good, but on the whole, pretty average comic book action movie. Expand
  48. Jun 4, 2013
    Some might argue that Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr) is more himself in this film than in any of his others. I unfortunately am not one of them and while Iron Man 3 is a solid film, it doesn't really fell like Iron Man was even in it. The plot revolves around what happens when a close friend of Tony's is caught up in a terror attack orchestrated by a villain called The Mandarin (Ben Kingsley). Tony heads on a journey of vengeance and re discovery as those he left behind are targeted in his stead. Like the Avengers did, Iron Man 3 takes a large portion of its opening to re-introduce the characters in Tony's world from Gwyneth Paltrow's Pepper Potts to Don Cheadle's James 'Rhodie' Rhodes, but unlike The Avengers it drags. The labored opening gives way to a 2nd act so fantastically funny it doesn't seem to belong to the same film. Shane Black brings his signature black comedy to the Iron Man universe and while making this world a lot more interesting than Iron Man 2 it does remove that familiar Stark feel. In fact it feels more like Harry Lockhart (also played by Downey in Shane Blacks's Kiss Kiss Bang Bang) has replaced the troubled hero with his own overly narcissistic, sarcastic and all around vulgar self. The only character who seems to maintain their identity in this film is Rhodie who is just as fun loving as he was in Iron Man 2. In fact the replacement of Terrence Howard for Don Cheadle has proven pretty successful as he is much more accessible a character now. The main detractor from Iron Man 3 is that it doesn't really feel like the Iron Man from The Avengers or Iron Man, he seems to be just as likable but this film doesn't really live up to the character that has been built over the span of 4 films. Another problem is that the film relies heavily on the relationship between Stark and Potts and Gwyneth Paltrow just seems bored this time around. Her scenes drag, her delivery is flat and she doesn't put any effort in. The middle section which coincidentally is almost Paltrow free allows Downey to shine with the whip smart dialog and the introduction of a small boy named Harley (Ty Simpkins) is ingenious because he is almost a mini Stark but with a little more compassion. They interact in an almost brotherly way and you really understand why these two interact so well, they are both really well fleshed out and both deliver some killer lines (Simpkins has one line that is so completely unexpected and hilarious it almost makes up for the slow open). Iron Man 3 while chock full of action is ultimately a comedy film with a very lighthearted tone. The film flounders when the jokes aren't flying so even the action, which looks fantastic, is lacking something. The finale shows that Black can direct a big budget actioner but it just seems like a little too much for a film that feels like a stand alone but is trying to be a conclusion of a trilogy. Finally despite the great Downey performance the best comes from Kingsley who is not only the perfect villain but has a chameleon quality that allows him to be anyone, if anything you should go to see it for him and him alone. Expand
  49. May 5, 2013
    Iron Man 3 was a decent movie but lacking in a lot of places. The villains were odd with unusual humour, wasn't very keen on the lacklustre mandarin plot.
  50. May 13, 2013
    I must say that I believe that this is the best film in the Iron Man franchise. Downey was on top of his game once again as Stark. Saw this in IMAX 3D and should say that should be the only way that this movie is viewed. An epic movie experience for an epic movie. I would really like to say that Guy Pierce's character was very convincing. Sir Ben Kingsley's Mandarin was a little over the top and he sounded like if Walter Chronkite and Brian Wiliams from NBC. That would be the only reason why I gave the movie an 8. Other then that, I would definitely see this movie again. It was bigger then life and the action scenes really had my on the edge of my seat for the most part.
    Also I have to give Don Cheadle props, just for the fact that it was really his first "action-y" movie and I think he really nailed it.
    If you havent seen this movie, then go. If you have seen if and liked it, see it one more time.
  51. May 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't know what I just saw.
    This was by far the worst marvel movie I have seen to date. The problem with this movie was not the actors. They did great. The Mandarin plot I thought was going to be the part of the movie that was going to make me angry but it didn't really. The way he was used made sense during the real events of our world today. I mean who would be afraid of a guy in a dress with 10 rings doing magic in which one repulser blast will eradicate him instantly. That's why we have Thanos and his Infinity Gauntlet for that.

The problem with the movie was with the Extremis, the lack of Iron Man action and the finale of the movie. I really thought this movie would really help my distaste of Iron man 2 which I really didn't like, but instead it did the opposite.

Lets begin with the Extremis. For starters every time I see one of these guys pop up I cringe and wait for something stupidly IMPOSSIBLE to happen.

Next is the constant Tony in the Iron man suit and out of the suit. He does this so much it makes me dizzy. Like he's advertising to the audience that he can do this. I've seen Tony in the suit like over 5 times and does nothing while wearing it besides walk down stairs, fall into the ocean, escape the ocean, force pushes it for pepper to put it on, force removes it from her to put it on himself, force pushes it to the villain to try it on. Hopscotches from one suit to the next just to fly. Then see other people use these suits with no training whatsoever. At this point I was just waiting for the kid to put on the suit to save Tony at one point.

Lastly the finale. Oh boy. At this point of the movie I want it to end already. Then we get the scene from the trailer where all the different Iron Man Marks show up. I knew that when they added a kid to this film it will lead to what I was afraid of. Chris O'Donnell said it best that when doing Batman and Robin it was like doing a Toy Commercial. That's exactly what it was. You see Tony using different suits made of METAL to be destroyed by humans which are made of FLESH AND BONE every time he puts one on. I yelled, "A what the Fudge" in a packed theater when this happened. Seriously. Then something even worst happens. He self destructs all his 42 suits. Why would he do this? Did he consider thinking about using these suits in case another threat from space happened again? Gee these suits will come in handy right? There was no answer to it. By the time I started writing this part it came to me and that is by the time Iron man 4 or Avengers 2 is released he somehow made new models of suits which can be sold as toys. BRAVO...

I believe if you remove all the stuff I have problems with it would have been a better movie. Making a movie really doesn't mean to make it bigger every time. Just make it simple and to the point. When you add to many elements you lose the audience and it becomes unwatchable. There has not been a successful comic book Trilogy yet and I don't think there ever will be. Just more reboots because people messed up the movies to recreate new ones. I really don't understand how any screws up a comic book movie when all the source material is already done for you in the comic books. I think making Iron man 3 was a big mistake as is The next Thor and Captain America. I believe that they should have used all these resources to create more Avengers movies. The spent all this time trying to get these characters together to just split them up again was a bad idea which is going to have bad repercussions down the road. The time will come when some of these actors don't want to reprise there roles anymore and this is going to make a lot of people and fans really upset. Upset because of the greed of milking these movies as a form of business instead of a form of art is going to destroy it.
  52. May 7, 2013
    Actually left the theatre during watching this awful awful excuse for a comic book movie. Whoever came up with the "twist" at the end I hope lost their job and their house.
  53. May 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not as good as The Avengers. The villain is weird, it's hard to put in words but he feels out of place. The high points in IM3 are pretty high, but the lows are pretty low and "weird". Why is Tony Stark running around with a gun at the end of the movie? How did Pepper Pots just get "cured"? What's with his anxiety attacks exactly? It's his third movie fighting bad guys and other assorted crazies, but his encounter with aliens in the Avengers messed him up? Just feels contrived and weird. I like Guy Pierce, but this villain doesn't work, and they should stop doing "greedy" bad guys in IM films. Not a bad movie, but could have been a heck of a lot better, especially after The Avengers showed everybody how it should be done. There's no excuse any more after Whedon's awesome hero flick. If you've got nothing to do, this movie's okay to fill in some time, otherwise I can't even recommend it as a rental when there are so many other good movies out there. Expand
  54. May 7, 2013
    While clearly having its usual charismatic flair, Iron Man 3 doesn't succeed in all its attempt for Stark's solo career after The Avengers. It is however, entertaining enough to warrant audience's time with slightly darker tone and witty humor. Robert Downey, Jr has melt into the character so well, it's nigh impossible to imagine someone else portray Tony Stark. There are few memorable scenes aside from your usual humdrum explosions and they manage to differentiate the movie from its predecessor, but this also goes with awkward plot holes.

Recurring characters, such as Don Cheadle as Rhodes and Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper are so comfortable with their roles, it creates natural on-screen relationships with Tony Stark. This time Pepper has a lot more screen presence as she breaks out from her babysitter cocoon, and quiet frankly has her most substantial role in the franchise thus far. Ben Kingsley as Mandarin is somewhat over-the-top, borderline corny. I suppose they want it to be a surprise, but It could be perceive as shallow and demeaning to an already established character.

Guy Pearce as Aldrich Killian is vague, he provides better challenge than previous nemeses, but his motivation is superficial. It's utterly hard to imagine that a supervillain would arise from such trivial excuse. Script has its moments, mostly in accidental parental relationship between Stark and Harley, a kid who becomes temporary side-kick for Stark. I understand the need to humanize Stark, in short; taking the suit for some parts of the movie or make him deal with psychological repercussion of his actions, and mostly, it delivers.

Graphically, it suffices in rather predictable ways. The addition of 3D doesn't add much though, I have a harrowing feeling that there's cumbersome muddy visual all over the otherwise crisp effects. On top of that, there's not enough depth perception to fully utilize the 3D, I strongly urge to see the normal version instead. Action involves plenty of missiles, bullets and cannons being fired, as expected. There's admittedly clever gimmick for the suits usage, so it does break from simple combat.

Between the fast paced screen transition, there are some plot holes which may be convenient for the movie in the expense of giving any plausible explanation. Given the fresh changes, Iron Man 3 is a flawed movie, but one which isn't sorely lacking in entertainment value.
  55. May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Iron Man 3 so I was a little concerned going into the theater. However, in my opinion the movie was outstanding. The cast and characters were fantastic just like the first two and the plot developed well and, unlike the first two, didn't have so many plot holes. The villain was thankfully not a robot and had some depth as well, which was one of the biggest things Iron Man 2 lacked. There was also plenty of humor, actually, there was more humor than the first two combined and almost all of it felt well timed and fit into the flow of the film. There were a few jokes or quips that felt forced but for the most part there were a lot of laughs to go around. The only real area of weakness for the movie were the overpowered villains. *SPOILER* The villains were so OP it made watching certain battle sequences a little ridiculous. It shouldn't take several Mark suits to take out one of the villains henchmen. And like in the second film, their powers have a limited range (whip in part 2, the need to touch you in this one) so them being capable of going toe-to-toe, let alone overtake a Mark suit was kind of a joke. Nonetheless, the movie was fantastic and these weaker elements, while they sound like a big deal here, are really easy to look past. Expand
  56. May 9, 2013
    The cast is great although i was not initially sold on Ben Kingsley as Mandarin. I am still not. The story itself was generic and blah. I get the concept of the movie of making Tony Stark vulnerable but the story itself doesn't work and is sluggish and boring to me. Seeing it in 3D is/was a waste in my opinion. I honestly think that they could have stuck more to the comics and made a better movie.

From a comics stand point. They made Mandarin into a womanizing drinking soccer fan. Rhodes should have never been in the Iron Patriot armor that should have been worn by Norman Osborn. Rhodes should have been in the War Machine Black and Grey. Combining the Extremis and the Mandarin was a bad idea. Given that this a series of events after Captain America/Thor/ The Avengers the characters have dealt with gods and an alien race. A script could have easily been written that made a closer resemblance of how Mandarin should be and just had Mandarin vs. Ironman without it being too cheesy.
  57. May 9, 2013
    I'll put it as bluntly and as simply as I can; It's not what you expect. The jokes come off strained and poorly written, and the story leaves a lot to be desired. Still, the visuals are amazing, and so is the music (although the lack of AC/DC was somewhat disappointing).
  58. Jun 6, 2013
    Even though Iron Man 3 is far superior than its predecessors, it still had some moments that reminded me of the bad things of the first 2. Altogether a well made film that incorporated more fluid action then Iron 1 and 2 combined.
  59. Jun 7, 2013
    It was Ok, not great, but Ok. Seemed to be really reaching to try and capture the Iron Man feeling from the first couple movies and the Avengers. Don't know where they go from here, but it will take a pretty good hook to get me interested in seeing the next one.
  60. May 7, 2013
    It's hard not to like Robert Downey Jr and he was entertaining, but Iron Man 3 was quite predictable. His attempt at having panic attacks was very prosaic. Didn't really like Gwyneth Paltrow. she's too stiff. Don Cheadle as Tony's comedic foil was great as was Ty Simpkins. The action was good, but nothing special. Cheadle and Downey make the movie worth seeing. Also, don't waste the $3 for 3D.
  61. Oct 10, 2013
    A bit boring if you ask me, Iron Man 1 was amazing, Iron Man 2 was good and Iron Man 3 starts to feel like a money making racket. That being said, in isolation the film is worth a watch and is a nice superhero romp with lots of shiny special effects that manages to entertain. 7/10
  62. Jun 20, 2013
    Far worse than the other two. Only our boozehound and drug addled hero actor offers any value at all. Much better off hiring the first one again. nuff said.
  63. May 9, 2013
    Iron Man 3 Director: Shane Black Starring: Robert Downy Jr. Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce, Ben Kingsley, Rebecca Hall, Jon Favreau Runtime/Rated: 130 Minutes, PG-13 My original thoughts on (Iron Man 3) were negative, it was to earlier to release another Iron Man movie particularly only a year after The Avengers. I’m thinking “wow, Marvel is really going to beat down the superhero movies to the ground”. However, after seeing the trailer, all of those negative thoughts flew out of my mind, and I was again excited to see an Iron Man movie again.

The story behind this third installment of the awesome Iron Man franchise is a terrorist called The Mandarin, who is the mastermind behind these terrorist attacks. His goal is to kill the president of the United States. Of course, it’s not going to be so easy to fulfill his goal when you have Tony Stark lurking around. Tony Stark is there to stop the Mandarin from his evil plans, but along the way has his own problems. Stark has a relationship issue with his girlfriend Gwyneth Paltrow, and he losses his house where all of his technology lye’s. Nevertheless, there is more to this Mandarin character then we really know and think. Can Tony Stark stop The Mandarin or will he have is day?

I liked this movie, I thought it was good, not great nor as good as the first two Iron Man movies, but I still enjoyed it a lot. The strongest aspect to the movie was its amazing lead in Robert Downy Jr. as Tony Stark. There’s no other better actor to play Mr. Stark, he’s charismatic, he carriers this movie a lot and he’s extremely funny, if it wasn’t for the comic relief mainly from RDJ I would not have liked this movie as much as I did-slow at times- Ben Kingsley was also great as the Mandarin, and I enjoyed his performance a lot. Last, I will mention Guy Pearce who I absolutely love as an actor. I thought he played the smooth talking billionaire very well. The one problem I had with Guy Pearce was his character which I thought wasn’t fully developed as much as it should have, but nevertheless still a good performance. The action sequences were very good, especially the one where iron man saves the falling passengers out of the sky, the scene had great intensity and left me on the edge of my seat. The visual effects were superb as usual, at times I really couldn’t tell what was real and what was fake.

The movie is defiantly flawed, and there are many flaws to this movie that really hits hard with me, the biggest was the completely anticlimactic action scene at the end of the movie. The final battle scene started off great, with lots of iron man suits arriving to help out Tony and Rhodes. Even when Tony confronted The Mandarin and they started having their duel, it was still impressive to look at, suitably towards the way that Tony was jumping from suit to suit, which I found very creative and nice to watch. However, when Pepper Potts joined the fun, the whole third act really dropped off a lot for me. Something happens-which I don’t want to spoil it- with her that’s so not necessary and completely predictable that when it happened, I was immediately turned off. Then, Shane Black had the nerve to bring her back to the fight sequence and finish the Mandarin off all by herself, which I did not believe, or bye into for a second. The ending was a huge let down to a movie that I was very much enjoying. Even though I really enjoyed the action scene at the end, that whole sequence with Pepper Potts really disgusted me. Other flaws to the movie were the villain (The Mandarin) who was underdeveloped and had a piss poor death. I just wish he could have had a better death, he was a very cool villain, that had so much potential.

Overall, I did enjoy (Iron Man 3) a lot, and even though it isn’t the best iron man movie in the franchise it’s still a good action summer popcorn movie, and a movie to start off the summer season.

My Grade: MATINEE

p.s. the big twist in the movie is a huge success that I completely bought into and very much enjoyed. If you dare and say “I saw that coming” then you’re obviously a lair and shall be zapped and killed by Tony Stark himself!
  64. Jun 11, 2013
    Iron Man was a charismatic surprise that mingled a feel good origin story with a great central performance from Robert Downey. The second Iron Man, while a bit of a mess, still had Downey coupled with an underused but solid Mickey Rourke. Iron Man 3 falls somewhere between.

Meandering between some fantastic (but mostly already seen thanks to an overly showey trailer campaign) set pieces
    and some nice character moments, Iron Man 3 is always watchable. But the pace of the movie seems every so slightly off. Big scenes feel rushed through, while other, less pivotal scenes get too much screen time.

The twists are also far too obvious and not just because of the generous trailers. Even without knowing much about the Iron Man comics, the various plot turns are sign posted miles ahead. And a few are pointless, adding no drama or intrigue.

One of the bigger (and more controversial it would seem) is the mandarin character. I enjoyed Ben Kingslys performance but I get why some fans may have felt let down this is likely the last Iron Man movie with Downey and a more straight approach could have yielded some great face to face moments between Tony Starke and the Mandarin. Guy Pearces bad guy isnt bad, but lacks the colour and presence to match the Mandarin.

Still, Iron Man 3 is still one of the better comic book movies. Maybe not as joyfully silly as Avengers or as deep as Dark Knight, its a good conclusion to the Iron Man series (if that remains the case)
  65. May 18, 2013
    The villains were ridiculous and made no sense whatsoever. The action scenes didn't disappoint, but were wildly diluted with silly plot. Worth seeing if you're invested in the series, but otherwise avoid it.
  66. May 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Iron Man 3 can be seen from two perspectives. As an average movie goer, it's fun but not half as exciting as The Avengers. Humor is fine but repetitive (specially the limited edition watch joke), action scenes are nice to look at, and with the exception of the cringe-worthy Extremis soldiers, acting is simply ok.
    Seen from the perspective of a Marvel fan, it's really disappointing. The Extremis storyline could have resulted in the best Iron Man movie yet, but it was lazily adapted. The villains were played by very talented actors, but their skills were underused. Aldrich Killian was exactly the same as Obadiah Stane and Justin Hammer from the previous films, Maya Hansen doesn't have much screen time, and then comes the Mandarin. Turns out he isn't Iron Man's greatest villain, but a junkie actor used as a cover, which is a big middle finger to true believers. Not to mention it's revealed as silly comedy. The story is nothing we haven't seen before and better in other superhero films, and it's full with plot holes that don't make sense with the other Marvel movies (specially regarding the operation of the armors).
    If Iron Man 3 was any other movie, I'd give it 7/10. But keeping in mind what Marvel has brought us before, it's underwhelming and I give it 5/10.
  67. May 5, 2013
    Great movie. Lots of SFx and many many things blowing up. I only gave it an 8 because the story isn't too complex and what little story we do get is accentuated with lots of things blowing up. I won't go into spoilers but parts of the movie aren't really developed; that is to say, there are questions at the end about certain scenes and what happened to certain people after we find out who the real villains are pulling the strings. Anyway, good movie and worth the price and time sitting in the theatre. Expand
  68. May 5, 2013
    Hello summer movie season!!! We've been waiting for you.. Entertaining movie. You can certainly tell it has a different director. The humor is scarce but present. The characters are there but transparent. Don't let my criticisms distract you though I enjoyed this movie a lot. It is fun and that is what a movie like this is supposed to be, just fun! There were a couple of distracting plot points and a few things that might get Ironman fanatics upset, but this is a good movie that does it's job well. Expand
  69. May 3, 2013
    Its as if Tony Stark was dropped into a Lethal Weapon movie replacing Mel Gibson's, Martin Riggs. Just a big misfire and a bigger letdown. What was really jaw-dropping is the fact that the Marvel suits let one of Iron Man's most iconic villains, The Mandarin, be trashed in such a matter. There is some things that work and are genuinely funny, but it is just not enough. This makes me wary of the rest of the summer films Expand
  70. May 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Disappointing. After viewing this movie twice, just to be sure about my feelings about one of the best Marvel super Heroes that have been brought to the cinema screen, I can surely say that the third episode of Iron Man 3 is really a huge disappointment. The story has been presented in a "jumpy" and poorly believable way. Tony stark opts for revenge only after the Mandarin has hurt a friend of his, while other previous victims of that terrorist are simply unimportant. Many scenes are missing a direct link with each other: in a scene Stark is driving a car in a cold mountain road, while in the next scene he's in Miami trying to infiltrate in a hardly believable (home made weapons made with Christmas decorations and gadgetry! Holy crap!) way the place where the Mandarin is hiding, thousands of miles away from the place of the previous scene. And the huge surprise of the mandarin himself being an old actor addicted to drugs playing only a role just to cover the real identity of who is pulling his strings... yes it is a surprise, but not a good one. Even if I'm not personally so linked to the Iron Man comic's true story. To be clear: the Mandarin is simply a joke! A sad joke. I have to add an interesting consideration: the original Iron Man 3 without cuts should have been a solid 3h 15m movie! Here is the site telling the surprising fact:
    Maybe, with those scenes the movie would have been better, not so discontinuous and jumpy!
    The real villain of the movie, acted by Guy Pearce, is not very convincing: he looks more like a malfunctioning version of the Human Torch in Fantastic 4. And the female character played by Rebecca Hall changes her mind too easily just after a brief talk with Tony Stark.
    Finally, the various Iron Man suits look very weak and vulnerable to the enemies superpowers. In the previous movies the suits looked more resistant to the enemies strikes.
    To complete my personal review, I must say that the movie is not that bad, but is really not what it should have been.
  71. May 10, 2013
    Iron Man 3 despite butchering one of the greatest comic book villains is in fact a lot of fun, and a drastic improvement on Iron Man 2 but still not recapturing the charm or feel of the first
  72. May 14, 2013
    La cosa migliore la sequenza dei titoli, posta in conclusione, costruita con immagini provenienti da tutti e tre gli episodi della serie e montate a ritmo adrenalinico secondo uno stile da telefilm anni Settanta, il tutto accompagnato dalla roboante colonna sonora di Brian Tyler. Con un nuovo regista e sceneggiatore mentre il vecchio, Jon Favreau, si tenuto il piccolo ruolo di Happy Hogan, il terzo capitolo dedicato a Iron Man (ma io sono all’esordio, per me ‘Iron man’ la canzone dei Black Sabbath) stato pensato e costruito come un blockbuster e il suo mestiere lo fa bene, seppur non andando troppo per il sottile: due ore filate in cui l’azione a fare la parte del leone, con solo qualche momento qua e là per riuscire a tirare il fiato. Si confermano le tendenze dei film di supereroi degli ultimi tempi: il protagonista tende ormai alla mezza età e comincia a essere stanco (anche perché soffre di attacchi di panico lascito della lotta contro gli alieni di ‘The avengers’) ma finisce per trovarsi a lottare basandosi più che altro sulle proprie forze e la propria intelligenza perché gli aggeggi di cui si circonda fanno cilecca più del dovuto. Se vero che Tony Stark meno problematico di alcuni suoi colleghi, ha più di loro il dono dell’ironia, grazie anche alla capacità di sdrammatizzare di Downey jr. che riesce a funzionare pure quando ripreso in primo piano all’interno di una delle sue armature (specie quando intrappolato nella non proprio perfetta Mk42). Attorno a lui, tutto il cast dà l’impressione di divertirsi parecchio: Paltrow ha ammesso in un’intervista che lavorare in una pellicola del genere rilassa, mentre Ben Kingsley sfrutta alla perfezione la parte del Mandarino, in cui può gigioneggiare in libertà, tifare per il Liverpool e ammiccare, nella sua ultima scena, a ‘Viale del tramonto’. La sceneggiatura non si fa certo mancare le citazioni, anche se qualcuna si perde nel doppiaggio, ma ha il pregio di tenere un buon ritmo sapendo distribuire tocchi di commedia: l’importante non domandarsi come possano succedere così tante cose in così poco tempo (a parte un prologo, tutta la storia si svolge a Natale) per non parlare di una successione dei fatti che non si preoccupa sempre di avere una logica e di uno sviluppo che non concretizza tutte le premesse. Niente da dire, invece, sugli effetti speciali, che per una volta non sono curati dalla Industrial Light & Magic: notevoli anche se tirate un po’ per le lunghe (il prezzo da pagare alle copie in 3D?) sono sia la distruzione della villa di Stark, sia il gran finale nel porto, in cui, seppure a fatica, infine defunge il cattivone di turno Guy Pearce comincia ad essere abbonato ai ruoli di villain. Nelle sequenze conclusive c’è un tirare le fila di tutti i personaggi, con quello principale che pare decidersi a ripensare la propria esistenza con annesso rapporto di coppia: non essendo Bruce Wayne, però, finirà per ritornare, come difatti scritto dopo gli interminabili titoli di coda. Il rullo sembra davvero infinito, ma vale la pena aspettare che scorra non solo per leggere la promessa di una nuova puntata, ma anche per vedere la breve scena che conclude il tutto con un ultimo sorriso Expand
  73. May 6, 2013
    Probably the biggest disappointment I've ever had with movies. The story and plot are absolutely horrendous nothing makes sense and is only done to get to the movie's climax. The big "twist" is not only hilariously bad, but also a slap in the face of viewers we expect a great classical villain and instead get fooled. Simple put boring
  74. May 5, 2013
    i was incredibly impressed with this movie. Big disappointment? I can see where you would draw your disappointment, but it was standard Iron Man. Nothing more. Nothing less. Its pretty much everything we expected, and then some. The Mandarin twist was fantastic! Damn you, if you didn't like it! There were some implausible things, sure. But that is expected of comic book movies. They're not all going to be perfect. And excellent execution on the Pepper Potts death. Just when you think Stark is going to save the day again, he loses Pepper and acting and expressions really made you forget that she was going to be okay due to her new condition. Excellent. Iron Man 3 was the finale. People will always complain about the ending of stuff and how "its the most flawed movie of the franchise" etc, etc. This was the greatest movie Marvel has EVER produced, In my opinion (minus Spider-Man in 2002). Tony Stark was Tony Stark, billionaire, playboy, philantrophist. More flamboyant and witty than Batman. Excellent ending to the franchise, I hope they don't reboot it, or continue it without Robert Downey Jr. while he can't don the suit forever, if they're going to make a new one, Downey Jr. or nothing. Expand
  75. May 8, 2013
    Okay, so there little stint with "The Mandarin" left a bitter taste in my mouth but beyond that; the film was great. It's quintessentially a Shane Black production that's had sex with a big action comic book movie and Iron Man 3 is the bouncing baby boy. In a nutshell, this Iron Man was the sequel we wanted back when the second one released. Like Mickey Rourke, we wanted our bird, and they gave us bird Fortunately, they got their act together and gave us an eagle. Expand
  76. May 12, 2013
    Somewhat disappointed with this one, the story didn't really grab my attention it felt different from the first two, I didn't get any excitement from this one. There were some funny moments in the movie but it wasn't the same, it didn't really follow the comic book. The Mandarin was a huge disappointment, the Mandarin is suppose to be "bad-ass" with martial arts skills like the comics. Actions were okay..some of the action sequences were pretty decent. Cons: Story, Mandarin. Pros: Some funny moments, decent action. Expand
  77. May 15, 2013
    "Iron Man 3" is easily as much fun as its predecessors, if not more. Packing all the quick wit and explosive action that's become trademark of this series, this third and highly-anticipated outing sees Tony Stark at his most vulnerable as he fights stoically and sometimes desperately against the will of a mysterious terrorist known as the Mandarin after his home is destroyed. Featuring some great new side characters and welcome old ones, this film definitely ups the scope of Iron Man while retaining the same charm of the others, and is a great piece of entertainment. The only big flaw it has is in its mid-movie twist, which reveals the Mandarin as nothing more than an actor and facade for the true villain, who is both much less intimidating and far more standardized (especially when being played by Guy Pearce). This move might not be quite so deflating if it weren't also for the fact that this character quickly becomes not only a shattered echo of the awesome Mandarin we've been expecting to see, but simply a drugged-up comic relief. It didn't completely ruin the movie for me, but I would have much rather seen a showdown between Stark and Mandarin than Stark and Guy Pearce, particularly since you fully believe beforehand that it was this Mandarin who blew up his house and almost killed Pepper Potts. But despite this, it's definitely worth seeing and definitely worth the title of "Iron Man". Another solid entry from Marvel. Expand
  78. Jun 9, 2013
    Not as great as I was expecting it to be, but it was still a good and fun battle with the fan-favorite Ironman. Robert Downey Jr. is of course phenomenal, as he and Ironman/Tony Stark seem truly to be one and the same. Everyone else is superb as well. The reason this did not score higher for me is that there were, one, a some plot holes and, two, there are a bunch of big questions left on the table that had me feeling as if I was jipped because those questions were left unanswered by the time the credits started rolling. Expand
  79. May 20, 2013
    Just like any other Iron Man the visual effects are unbelievable. To top that off, Iron Man 3 is explosive and extremely thrilling, making the last three Marvel superhero films look like amateurs.
  80. May 5, 2013
    The movie seemed like a poor copy of the Dark Night Rises; and they completely screw the Mandarin in favor of the melt man brigade. All in all disapointing
  81. May 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I only need six words to describe Iron Man 3 and how awful it is: The Madarin is a drunken actor. So, Ironman's #1 nemesis isn't really a nemesis, he's an actor impersonating his nemesis hired by another nemesis. Just awful. Its like finding out the Joker isn't really a bad guy, he was a circus clown hired by the Riddler to throw Batman off the scent of a less threatening evil plot. Just awful. Expand
  82. May 8, 2013
    I really enjoyed this. It was a classic superhero action movie with a lot of humorous dialogue and a great performance from Robert Downey Jr. The 3D worked well and overall it just made for a really fun experience at the theater.
  83. Jun 5, 2013
    Really Really Really Really LOVE this movie. I wasn't getting the whole Iron Man hype, and when I went to see the midnight screening of this, I wasn't sure to expect. THEY WENT MASSIVE WITH IT. Honestly, Its such a great movie that left me thinking about it for days. The action and explosions were insane and the story was actually pretty great. LOVE it a lot. watch it, even if you dont like Iron Man! Expand
  84. May 3, 2013
    Probably the biggest disappointment I've ever had with movies. The story and plot are absolutely horrendous nothing makes sense and is only done to get to the movie's climax. The big "twist" is not only hilariously bad, but also a slap in the face of viewers we expect a great classical villain and instead get fooled. The dialogue is some of the worst I've ever heard. The action is far too unrealistic and cartoony, even for a superhero movie, and the whole personal struggle between Tony and Pepper makes zero sense. It's like they took a movie formula and filled it out and said OK let's get our money now. The only redeeming factor of this steaming pile of crap is Downey's performance, as usual, and Ben Kingsley. Stay far away from this movie, it's only trying to milk the comic movie craze. Expand
  85. May 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First: I've always liked comics but I'm not a fanboy. So you will never hear me complaining about following the source material, how characters differ from the original,... Iron Man 3 however, is simply a bad movie.

First, it doesn't seem grasp the concept on how human interaction works. "Hello, I'm Tony Stark, a brilliant, rich playboy who speaks only in sarcastic one-liners. I have emotional issues because of what happened with the Avengers. Please care for me." This part doesn't work at all as it slotted in between silly jokes and mediocre action.

But hey, I could forgive them for that but the action is lame as well. Not one great scene to be found.

Furthermore, the is no coherence in the universe. The suit Iron Man used to fight powerful aliens gets trashed by a truck. His mansion get's trashed by a guy in a helicopter. Quite disappointing that a brilliant, rich playboy with the most high tech suit in the world forgot to put in a simple defence system in his own home. And don't get me started about the McGuyver part in the movie, the plot holes or the end.

The acting is... Let's keep it at: I'm happy that Guy Pierce got a bigger role because he was once a good actor but this kind of performances won't get him back on top. Robert DJ is acting like his suit: on autopilot. The only one that stands out is Ben Kingsley who is over the top yet hilarious as he should be in a comics movie. But if you are a fan of the comics, what they have done to the Mandarin as a character is an absolute insult to all fans.

Overall a big failure in all aspects: Story, characters, action, ...The first one was quite OK. The second one was bad. This one is no better.
  86. May 7, 2013
    I was actually kinda disappointed overall. This movie would be a perfect rental with a beer and some pizza with the wife and friends.

Over all, since this is a continuation after the Avengers.. the main bad guy was lame, The other villians are clearly defined and should be feared and for this movie it wasn't and when you find out who it is.. meh..

It did have some cool stunts and
    kept some of the witty humor, but that even was lacking so I give it a 5. Expand
  87. May 5, 2013
    Wow! This is easily the greatest Iron Man movie of them all! It has the best story, best ending, and the best action scenes that are better than 1 and 2's combined. Not to mention that the acting is great and the villains are awesome. There must be an Iron Man 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  88. May 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This Movie was not what many people expected it to be, a standard comic book movie hero vs villain, when it tried to take a more serious route ,which is fine, and tries to build up back story for iron man for the avengers 2. Most of the movie is spent with back story for iron man and figuring out what the main villain is doing. I loved the main villain he was very clever and you never knew what the was going to do next, if only iron man could fight him back or at least try seriously it's a little pathetic when your girlfriend defeats the main villain for you. During the whole course of the movie Iron man kills maybe 1 of the actual bad guys, just because your trying to make the story more serious doesn't mean you have to make him a freaking pansy. You had all this build up leading to the end and then he doesn't even kill the main villain. The movie is also filled with lots of humor which is appreciated these movies need more humor but I wish the movie was more focused on the villain than back story and humor because that's what made these movies in the first place! Expand
  89. May 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'll tell you why everyone is hating on Iron Man 3 (also known as "The Adventures of Tony Stark, The Mechanic"! Worst interpretation of a super villain!!!! (yes, even worse than Bane in "Batman & Robin") I wanted to see an Iron Man movie but instead I got a wanna be 007 meets Lethal weapon 5 with no character development. So many holes in the Script. You know it's bad when a series introduces a child actor for comedic relief. Just an example of the numerous holes here is one: When Tony Stark was fighting the main Villain at the end who is powerful because he injects some fluid into his body that was made to regenerate and just so happens to also give you super strength and 3000 degrees body temp.and the ability to blow up, Tony goes through about 3 sets of armor and then fights hand to hand. Ok no biggie. But almost dies. Only to find out that he had about 60 more suits of armor he could of wore that he decides to blowup for no real reason. Also, apparently Stark Towers no longer exists in this world or other superheros. because no one else could rescue the president or save air-force 1. I want the movie the trailer shows us, not this piece of crap......... Expand
  90. May 8, 2013
    I generally thought it was rather mediocre and it just didn't deliver. Whilst I enjoyed some of the comedic parts I found the rest to be frankly boring, the first half and hour really bored me and when the action came in it was just too predictable and didn't really get my heart pumping. The plot-line was just...tolerable but not too interesting.I have absolutely no desire to watch it again and wouldn't really recommend it. Expand
  91. May 7, 2013
    This film starts with a flashback to 1999, however thats the only thing that feels old about this film. Those who go in wanting the IronMan and Avengers IronMan will be disappointed because that is not what this film is. IronMan 3 is a much more mature film for the most part, with a story that feels relevant and a focus on Tony Stark rather than IronMan. I particularly liked the fact that Tony was suffering PTSD after the events of the Avengers. In the end this pays off somewhat leading to a great story for Tony and pretty much no one else. The special and practical effects in this film were awesome particularly the getting in and out of the suits and the plane sequence stunt is great to watch. This film sends a message to future super hero films you can have a decent plot as well as decent action and character growth.
    Rating 8 out of 10
    They should have called this film Tony Stark
  92. May 9, 2013
    I’m a sucker for super hero movies especially if they’re of good quality. I know I’ve said it before, but anytime a hero movie can take itself more seriously and further connect with the audience, it’s a winner in my book. So after seeing the trailer, I went into Iron Man 3 with high expectations. I came out feeling pretty alright.

Iron Man 3 is more than just an explosive action
    movie, or even the barely above average com-dram that’s hidden beneath, I think it could be argued that it’s a character study of Robert Downey Jr.’s Tony Stark. It easily gets over looked amidst the flashy tech-porn and the quiver-inducing special effects (which are both pretty spectacular I’ll admit)....

Read more: http://www.recomedia.net/filmtv/iron-man-3-review/
  93. May 6, 2013
    While some of the action scenes were quite spectacular, and up there with some of the biggest action films of recent years, the film overall felt very shallow and wayward and lacked any kind of real soul behind the fancy shots. Robert Downey Jr played a more vunerable Iron Man this time, which was a nice change, and Ben Kingsley pulled up a fantastic character double in The Mandarin. Guy Pearce as well, was fairly entertaining, but begun to tread heavily in the cliched towards the end. The plot holes run thick throughout, and I never really felt any concern for any character throughout the film this time. A really disappointing outcome, for what was otherwise a decent comic book series. Expand
  94. May 24, 2013
    With less focus put on the "Iron Man" himself and more emphasis put on the Tony Stark character it is easy to see why people may not like this film in comparison to the heavy action-fighting of the previous two stories. I personally like that they took the time to develop a story that does not focus solely on the suit, but delves to reveal the inner character of the man beneath it. We see in this movie that Iron Man is a facade, a persona put on by a man to hide his inner demons and fears. The tie in with the Avengers movie helped the story quite a bit and it was easy to empathize with a clearly vulnerable character who seemed so invulnerable in previous iterations.
    There is substantial story here which is why I think a lot of fanbois have rated this movie so poorly. They clearly wanted to see Iron Man launching missiles and blowing stuff up rather than dealing with his anxiety and frustrations. Personally this type of movie is far truer to the comics than any other and gives it a much more real feel. Iron Man is a man first and foremost, without the suit he isn't capable of laying waste to his foes and even when in the suit the weight of his humanity can still bear down on him and leave him vulnerable. This is the Iron Man I want to see more of, though it seems unlikely there will be much more of it.
    With that said I have to say that it's main weakness is that it delves a bit too deeply into the life of Tony Stark, to the point where it seems the action of the movie plods a little. There were a few scenes that could have been cut to streamline the movie and keep the focus on the action a bit more. I praise it for it's focus on character development, but there is such a thing as too much "whining".
    All in all this is a solid film, the people giving this 1 or 0 as a rating are obviously just angry that it is not a shot for shot remake of Iron Man 2 with robots annihilating each other. If that is what you want then wait for the god awful looking "Pacific Rim" to come out and enjoy your robots, but if what you want is a true sense of who Iron Man is and what the comic has always tried to reveal to its readers, then Iron Man 3 is the best of the series to date.
  95. May 5, 2013
    it would be easy 8/9 if they keep the character's development into the real track, since my first reason watching this (beside all the armor action and vfx stuffs) was curious how do they keep the mandarin (which is using magic stuffs) fits into the iron man world, instead getting an awesome answer, i got a very disappointing twist. nevertheless, Ben's acting was awesome, i do hope that this guy will be revealed as the real mandarin on avengers 2. finger crossed. Expand
  96. May 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm more than irritated by this movie. I felt let down in a huge way. Cheated. Betrayed. The twist was a complete lie and The Mandarin and his rings of power would have been an amazing threat for Tony, but Savin ended up being the "big villain" and although he was a nuisance, as villains are, he was just not what I cared about and because of the twist I was just more annoyed with him than anything. He keeps driving his armor remotely and after an amazing hero moment wrecks it once more (for like the 8th time.. which got real old) The whole movie was just an ongoing comedy. It was funny, but because I was let down by the twist the comedy lost it's effect on me and I just sat there stewing. The one liners got old and the snarkiness got irritating. The movie felt rushed too with no rise and falls of drama to build anticipation and the ending just felt like "and then this happened and then this happened and everything's ok now, ok bye" I wanted the real Mandarin and I want the chaos I foresaw in my mind this entire last year. And I didn't want Pepper Pots being a mutant and then suddenly not. I felt like Tony didn't use his suits to their full potential. It was all about "Oh look this new tech allows them to attach to me and whiz around all over and that's real cool" but he didn't use his on suit gadgetry hardly ever it seemed. One shot with a point blank uni-beam is not enough for me sorry. Arm repulsors were very underpowered from what we're used too. I just don't get it. The formula that's worked the past 3 movies and has built all this hype led to this... this... movie I'd rather not consider part of the Iron Man universe. And Iron Patriot might as well not even been shoehorned into this movie as a friend put it. War Machine isn't Iron Patriot anyway, Osbourne is... and his presence in the movie was purely novelty. And where's Nick Fury and his contact with Shield in any way, shape, or form. If the president's life was in danger, they would of had a huge impact on that.. Well, all the Avengers would have for that matter but they are nowhere to be seen. I get it's not Avengers 2, but more reference to what they were doing would have been nice.

Deep breath.... sigh. Better luck next time.
  97. May 3, 2013
    As has been said by many others, this movie was incredibly disappointing. While the other two movies may not have stuck completely to the comics, this movie disrespects the characters that many of us have come to love. The movie itself is well made, with excellent effects, acting and humor here and there. Anyone who doesn't have much knowledge of the comics will likely enjoy this movie, as the story itself, taken completely independently from any other Iron Man stories (Aside from the movies of course), is very well formulated and engaging.

In summary, I had a hard time sitting through the entirety of the movie, and while it is a well made movie, I would personally not recommend it for anyone who cares/knows about the characters.
  98. May 3, 2013
    Iron Man 3 was an incredibly entertaining and clever movie. That said, like most superhero movies, it's a popcorn film, the kind where you simply sit back and enjoy the ride. And I3 certainly is a fun ride.
  99. May 3, 2013
    Watched the movie with my cousin 10 years and my uncle, both left happy movie, I went out thinking the movie because of the cool action scenes and some jokes "genius, billionaire and philanthropist" Tony Stark, because the rest I did not like. Fun, perfect word to summarize the film "Iron Man 3". The somber tone and tense past by trailers not passed print, the film follows the same tone of other films, providing just more drama and personal problems to Tony Stark. On the positive side the film has the great action scenes, much improved compared to predecessors, and has a villain in an armor of Iron Man, but since it is something positive, we have seen this before, and jokes and Tony company, which even forced and coming at a bad time collaborating pro film look good "popcorn" (sit and have fun). Negative, first, the story seems to force more situations like the scene in which it appears in the trailer (not really a spoiler, but for the most conservative that they would not watch the trailer not to spoil surprises mark it as spoiler) Spoiler: Stark calls Mandarin to fight personally handing her his address before reporters, without thinking of the consequences and that just having your house destroyed by helicopters. Besides containing poorly explored characters like character who is the former relationship Stark and the boy that helps. The story does not have much content there and inexplicable things and many, many loose ends. I think choosing Shane Black as director was a mistake, he learned to drive the action scenes but did not know how to fit the jokes in some of his movies that were in perfect time. Something very negative, not for the film but for the Marvel universe in film, is the way the film ended, leaving a large cucumber to solve Joss Whedon (director of Avengers who will direct Avengers 2). MANY SPOILERS below: Spoiler: Dude! What was this close? Not the end of the movie, but what became Iron Man simply resets the franchise, making Stark without armor and without direction, one of the biggest was that Tony removed in a surgery any energy to their chest inexplicably, from what I understand it should have used this technology to remove extremis, from what I understand, because in no time as he relates in a simple surgery he was able to take, just stating why you did it so enigmatic, and what will be Pepper now has the extremis in your body? How this will influence the next stories. The film closes as if it were no more having movie Iron Man, but everyone knows that will be The Avengers 2. And boy! what they did with "Mandarin"?! Okay it's time to know that he was just an actor stoned and see how it really is, it was hilarious, but the image of him that built trailers, the anxiousness of seeing outside the Mandarin tv screens where it appears in the film, was all printing, felt betrayed by the dozens of trailers as well as I hoped this "villain" would be the highlight of the film, the film was all but has space for funny dialogues, which does not always make us laugh and could not be in the film along with the story to put more of the best, the action, especially if it is equal to the end. Gone is the time that movies meant everyone had to have only excuses for wild action, but if it is to have a story that only serves as the background, this would be the best way, and that tinkering with the universe of Man Iron in the cinema was very radical.

SORRY IF ENGLISH IS BAD, I AM BRAZILIAN.
  100. May 9, 2013
    I thought the movie was cool, funny and packed with action.
    The only thing I didn't like was American style super hero undermining other nationalities as if they were nothing, other than that good watch

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Iron Man 3 builds on the first film's political cynicism by suggesting that politicians and arms dealers dream up foreign policy crises to consolidate power and make money, but it doesn't develop this notion in detail, because if it did, the audience would tune out.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    May 3, 2013
    The action, directed by Shane Black, ranges from passable to interminable. The plot goes from clang to bang. Downey Jr. is still the best thing about this series.
    At least this time "Goopy" Paltrow gets to perform a few superheroics herself, along with enduring some heavy-duty torture that’s bound to please her haters — for whom the sight of the top of her face being peeled off in "Contagion" was like Christmas in July.