| Release Date: April 27, 2018
6.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 28 Ratings
Watch Now
fredericwoodJun 3, 2018
It's a brutally honest film, including a few uncomfortable scenes. Watching this film actually made me reflect on personal experience and see how stupid some past actions can be. Searching for love is not all rose and honey. We stumble alongIt's a brutally honest film, including a few uncomfortable scenes. Watching this film actually made me reflect on personal experience and see how stupid some past actions can be. Searching for love is not all rose and honey. We stumble along the way. Not a polished film but feels real and close to life. Expand
DrBlahBlahJan 26, 2019
Easily the best foreign film of the year (and one of the best of all time), this film gives a suggestive, elegant script and a perfect performance from Juliette Binoche room to breathe - and it's a refreshing breath of air.
JLuis_001Aug 15, 2018
Although this film is a romantic drama with comedy overtones its quality separates it from many other films that fall into that category, especially so many dumb American romantic comedies.

Let the Sunshine In is a film with a simple and

Let the Sunshine In is a film with a simple and practical history, but it's the good work of its director and also of its protagonist; Juliette Binoche who since Clouds of Sils Maria has had a good run with the exception of the forgettable ''The 33'', which puts it on a higher scale.
imdoingmypartJun 1, 2018
Have we seen enough romantic comedies? While many of us are burnt out on the genre, there still seems to be a market for such films as trailers do not seem to stop appearing in the theaters. It would be childish to write off an entire genreHave we seen enough romantic comedies? While many of us are burnt out on the genre, there still seems to be a market for such films as trailers do not seem to stop appearing in the theaters. It would be childish to write off an entire genre of film, especially one that has indeed produced some quality and thought-provoking works, but it tends to be a “needle in a haystack” situation. Believe it or not, conflicts do not always lead to resolution.

Let the Sunshine In is a film more committed to its characters than to its story, for better and for worse. The film rides on the wonderful lead performance by Juliette Binoche as a middle-aged woman named Isabelle who just wants to find true love. Isabelle is introduced at the end of a sexual encounter with a wealthy banker for whom she has little to no personal connection. Without any expository dialogue, within the first minute the cards are laid out on the table. Isabelle is unsatisfied. She sleeps with the banker in order to curb loneliness and a lack of security, but she is not happy. What follows is a journey of self-discovery, though, at times, it seems that Isabelle is caught in cyclical despair (as are many female leads in rom-coms).

Though it is a bit slow at times, Let the Sunshine In is an entirely personal film. While most films feature characters who fit certain roles and functions in the story, this film is simply about people interacting with one another. I was reminded of The Florida Project, another film that does not care about story as much as it cares about letting the audience truly get to know people, people who are often not very likable, charming, or fun to watch. But these films are not interested in entertainment, they are interested in personal connection, and, even if some people cannot fully understand all of Isabelle’s problems and decisions, most of us can, in some part, understand the frustration of the search for love.
starflyerboyJul 29, 2018
Top level work from Binoche and Denis. Unobtrusive direction and a completely mezmerizing lead performance.