RLJE Films | Release Date: September 14, 2018
6.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 229 Ratings
Watch Now
MidAirManSep 25, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really wanted to love this movie. The tone kind of jumps around and the beginning of the movie seems as though the director assumed people would go into it high. There were a lot of psychedelic colors and effects early on. The movie mellows out as it goes. Some of the scenes are incredibly violent and pull no punches while others seem like they took a step back. Nick Cage is Nick Cage in this movie. Enough said. The best scene in the movie takes place in a bathroom. Seeing him laugh cry on a toilet in his underwear is something I never thought I would see, but I have now. I really wish this movie would have swung for the fences, but it appears that the director had second thoughts and was at conflict with himself on the movie he wanted to make. It could have been so much more. Expand
tiparNov 23, 2018
A little too long but so striking that you can not but surrender and see the whole thing even if in some parts you do not pay that attention to it.
movingpicturesApr 6, 2020
There's a good movie hiding in here somewhere.

You're going to need to do two things to prepare for watching this movie. 1) Do drugs. 2) Bring extra drugs to take halfway through. There is a good film in here somewhere. I think cutting 30
There's a good movie hiding in here somewhere.

There is a good film in here somewhere. I think cutting 30 minutes out and playing the rest at 1.5 speed would do a lot to help the finished product. Oh, and did I mention drugs?
amheretojudgeSep 17, 2018
a mirror of ours..

a mirror of ours..

Mandy Mandy is a character driven horror thriller depicting a revenge natured plot after a couple's mundane life is snatched by a group of sinisters. Set in a parallel world, the tale is eerily more mythological than sci-fi and Cosmatos's grasp over such malleable conspired theories amps up this gore for 2 hours. The project is undeniably an act of love and passion towards the horror genre that never wears off. The harrowing creatures, literal bloodbath, an angry mob mentality and tiny other such notions that it is brimmed with, filter out its audience easily. But amidst all these hokum formulas of Cosmatos, their lies a poetic tone that soars throughout the course of the feature and is what makes it more human. This visual galore fiddles with sparkling intense colors that speaks metaphorically to depict its more animated version. It also takes few things a bit too far, that may make you cringe on your seat with disturbing ideologies and horrendous methodologies that leaves a long lasting impression on you; it's definitely not a tale you'll easily forget. The richness on technical aspects is what elevates this simplistic concept with sharp sound effects, detailed art designing, stunning visual effects, metaphorical cinematography and an-old-comic-feel-like background score that sends you back to your childhood cartoon days. It aces on projecting the stakes and emotions of the characters through an emotional bridge in order to communicate fluently like when Cage almost drinks an entire bottle of pure alcohol despite his throat burns. Cosmatos's narration is also dependent a lot upon the performance then be it silent pitches or intriguing monologues. If Cage's rage gives you goosebumps then so does Riseborough's heartbreaking performance where she steals the show within the allotted screen time. The first half has a lot of potential, it is layered, it speaks honestly and its concept is much higher and mature than we usually get. Unfortunately, the second half is a bit low on ingenuity since its closure barrs its newer territories and till then the makers are slaves to its closure. Also, the series of mind-numbing tricks and cheats and weapons and tactics and deaths and bloodsucking calorific values, shucks away the earned respect in its initial stages. The inexpressive passion that each frame screams, the visual delight wrapped with ordeal images and a mythical allegory that is set afar from our world and is still a mirror of ours, are the high points of the feature. The linguistics fabrication of colors is the strongest vision of all and Cosmatos chooses a horror genre to teach us that; what an amazing lesson it is. His undying thirst is what fuels his execution skills where even the simplistic act is pulled off with such panache that it leaves you in an awe of it. Mandy is a bonafide tale stamped by blood and sweat and you will be able to see it, it's the makers job to make you and he triumphs with a huge margin. Don't treat it lightly, for Mandy surely won't treat you mildly, it's an honest tale that shouldn't and doesn't compromise.
wollam11Sep 15, 2018
A long, seemingly endless, rock opera with garbled dialogue, hick poetry, trailer park artistry, and Nic Cage in tightie whities.
TreceSep 16, 2018
Un interesante ejercicio de estilo, que desperdicia sus mejores recursos como sus protagonistas, diluyendose en un exceso de direccion, falta de ritmo y pericia narrativa. Tiene ese halo especial ochentero, en que el poster es mejor que laUn interesante ejercicio de estilo, que desperdicia sus mejores recursos como sus protagonistas, diluyendose en un exceso de direccion, falta de ritmo y pericia narrativa. Tiene ese halo especial ochentero, en que el poster es mejor que la pelicula, pero aun asi tiene razones para disfrutar el viaje. Expand
mycatbroughtmeSep 20, 2018
The trailer for this film is a work of art and is what got me so excited to see "Mandy" in the first place. The actual movie is a colossal let-down. My greatest complaints are these: the film isn't gory enough, and the Manson-likeThe trailer for this film is a work of art and is what got me so excited to see "Mandy" in the first place. The actual movie is a colossal let-down. My greatest complaints are these: the film isn't gory enough, and the Manson-like antagonist is an idiot.

Though it'll likely prove gruesome enough for some, the film prominently features Cage's character wielding an ornately-forged chopper-upper that performs 90% of its dirty work offscreen! I expected to enjoy a continuous spectacle of limbs, torsos, and heads flayed before my hungering eyes, but the film's measley budget, $ 6M or so, most likely didn't allow for it, so you get a dollop here and there, with the fattest sum probably paying for the prosthetic used in the final scene. So, no blood frenzy like I was hoping.

And second, the chief baddie doesn't have the charisma as (name your cult leader) has in their pinkie fingers. As written and portrayed, he's a dim-witted, dime-store holy man who couldn't convince me to follow him to a house-fire much less into his seedy little sex cult. Manson had a vagabond charm, Jim Jones had stage presence, Koresh had a honeyed tongue. This guy, this Jeremiah Sand? Nada. The attraction his groupies have for him is therefore baffling.

Visually, the movie is fever-dream hypnotic and atmospheric and features a great soundtrack, but the characterizations and crude plot are underbaked as hell. More effort was required than was given.

Also: Bill Duke is criminally underutilized.
TVJerrySep 24, 2018
Apparently, some consider Panos Cosmatos to be a hot new director (although this is only his 2nd film). Granted, he's got an intense visual style and extreme stylized approach, but his skills as a dramatist need work. This is yet anotherApparently, some consider Panos Cosmatos to be a hot new director (although this is only his 2nd film). Granted, he's got an intense visual style and extreme stylized approach, but his skills as a dramatist need work. This is yet another revenge flick with Nick Cage going after 2 cults after they abduct his wife. The first hour is a slow-burn setup with lots of ominous music and dark atmosphere. Even when the violent acts crank up, they're a bloody disappointment. Others have done this better and without the tedious histrionics that make this more pretentious than entertaining. Expand
entitetDec 23, 2018
Mandy is simply not a great movie. I fully understand that the unique style of the movie is appealing to many people, but when it lacks pretty much in everything else it becomes a pretentious way of showing how desperately you want toMandy is simply not a great movie. I fully understand that the unique style of the movie is appealing to many people, but when it lacks pretty much in everything else it becomes a pretentious way of showing how desperately you want to seperate yourself. The fact that everything else besides the cinematography is pretty bad, strengthen that hypothesis. "Script? Continuity? Plotlines? Well thought out violent scenes? Nah, i just wanna make a rad looking movie, dude bro! Let's just shoot some sh*t and show me the editing table!" For a violent revenge movie, they failed miserably to show anger and violence in a satisfying way. It's just weird for the sake of being weird and artsy and the entire movie is like walking in psychedelic monotone sludge, without any feeling that makes you break out of that coma. Expand
nilsySep 17, 2018
Dreamlike, would be my 1 word description. But not in a positive way just dreamlike not negative or positive implied. If i were a relative to the author of the story id say it was a 2/10 everyone else likely says its a 1/10.
Actors and
Actors and visuals are wonderful but the story just sucks the whole thing down the drain
fujitsufukuiOct 5, 2018
This is a bit of an 'Emperor's New Clothes' one. Don't get me wrong, I like this side of Nicholas Cage, I'm a big fan of Vampire's Kiss. I just felt that the movie was emotionally stunted and a bit boring. The best line (by far) is actually aThis is a bit of an 'Emperor's New Clothes' one. Don't get me wrong, I like this side of Nicholas Cage, I'm a big fan of Vampire's Kiss. I just felt that the movie was emotionally stunted and a bit boring. The best line (by far) is actually a direct quote of Joseph Campbell. Great quote, but come on guys - well cheesy!.. The cinematography is incredible, really creative. But ultimately, (like the movies central characters) - it's a bit of a movie for grownups who still think they're kids - seems obsessed with whether things are cool/uncool - which I think is why it has such a high ratings from the critics. I was really looking forward to this one but found it a big let down. It's your basic B-movie revenge thing. It has a go at all the right people (the baddies are Christians of course :) ) and it ticks a LOT of hipster boxes. Apart from that it's a B movie. There isn't really anything inventive in the script or plot, or characters - it just looks REALLY good. Expand
ScienceAdvisorSep 23, 2018
This was nothing more than mad max meets LSD, with the esthetics of Hellraiser. More 80's than the 80's, well past the point of sensibility, just to draw out something that should have been 80 minutes at most. It is too bad they did notThis was nothing more than mad max meets LSD, with the esthetics of Hellraiser. More 80's than the 80's, well past the point of sensibility, just to draw out something that should have been 80 minutes at most. It is too bad they did not realize the potential being squandered in their hyper-LSD opening up a gateway to something truly dark in the region, which Mandy had already been tapping into. Instead the promise of something magical is rendered into a mundane gorefest. Dazed and confused is the only explanation for people giving this more than a seven, unless you want to be pessimistic. Expand
SaraClementsOct 15, 2018
Well this sure is a movie isn't it

I remember reading an article once listing reasons why Hollywood doesn't cast Nicolas Cage in blockbusters anymore, but why not?? Henry Cavill is out! Nicolas Cage is in!
AlphaRebelJun 25, 2020
For lack of a better word this movie is truly... "astounding" for a whole myriad of reasons, it's going to be one people are either going to love or hate.
It's about the most bat$%&* crazy movie to come out in recent years and I suspect everyone involved were on copious amounts of drugs the entire time they were making it.