Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: September 2, 2016
5.7
Mixed or average reviews based on 76 Ratings
Watch Now
DotTheEyesSep 3, 2016
In Morgan, a hypnotic visual style and an enviable ensemble of character actors compensate for fairly predictable—though still engaging—storytelling. The plot turns on an icy corporate analyst (Kate Mara) who travels to a remote compound toIn Morgan, a hypnotic visual style and an enviable ensemble of character actors compensate for fairly predictable—though still engaging—storytelling. The plot turns on an icy corporate analyst (Kate Mara) who travels to a remote compound to assess the viability of an artificial-intelligence research project. Her visit is precipitated by a violent incident involving Morgan (Anya Taylor-Joy), the team's five-year-old laboratory miracle. Morgan's caregivers-cum-captors are played by, among others, Toby Jones, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Game of Thrones' Rose Leslie. Nothing is particularly novel here—the peril of self-preservation among A.I., an ethical suspicion of biotechnology, a third-act emphasis on chasing and bloodshed after a setup in the vein of Agatha Christie or Clue—but first-time feature director Luke Scott (son of Ridley and a member of the second unit on his father's Exodus: Gods and Kings) commands attention with a steadily mounting sense of dread and sumptuous use of misty, verdant forest locations in Northern Ireland. He at least copies and lifts from the best, including Ex Machina and dad's Alien, to create his late-summer genre diversion. And Taylor-Joy, so transfixing in The Witch earlier this year, delivers another enigmatic performance as the title figure; she is at once naïvely disarming and eerily otherworldly in conveying the character's just-shy-of-human nature. The way Morgan is at once protagonist and antagonist, both brutal and sympathetic, is one of the film's chief pleasures. Expand
TheMetacritiqerSep 3, 2016
Kate Mara is great. This is the best Ridley Scott film in a long time. It's intense and bloody. Although I assume the critics didn't like it due to logic gaps and character motivation.
smiyamotJan 19, 2017
Pretty good mystery/thriller. We learn Morgan is an enhanced human, why, we don't know. She has people around her to help her grow and adjust to society. A corporate inspector comes to check on her progress. Then the mystery begins. IPretty good mystery/thriller. We learn Morgan is an enhanced human, why, we don't know. She has people around her to help her grow and adjust to society. A corporate inspector comes to check on her progress. Then the mystery begins. I thought it was well done with a lot of name stars; don't know why it was rated so low. And the twist at the end. Expand
6r1zzlySep 10, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. **** pls. My rating is 20/10. Ridley Scottt's son did a movie about beginning of replicant program. This is EPIC. You get H.A.L. 9000 quotes, Terminator mechanical vicious killing, replicate vibe and a first blade runner. This is insanely cool. Maybe you need to approach movie consciously knowing that corporate consultant is andy too. Maybe you need a little empathy to go through first part of the movie. But anyhow you will come to the movie it is awesome. Expand
avagemoviegoerSep 4, 2016
Morgan was both suspenseful and entertaining, and not your usual Sci-Fi formula. The reality of making an artifical human may not be too far in the future. And the film portrays what can go wrong. I loved the ending....didn't see it coming.
GinaKSep 12, 2016
I found the first half hour or so of this film dull and confusing, but once it caught fire after about 40 minutes, I was riveted -- and amazed that a film could get so good so fast. My guess is the problem was the script or perhaps theI found the first half hour or so of this film dull and confusing, but once it caught fire after about 40 minutes, I was riveted -- and amazed that a film could get so good so fast. My guess is the problem was the script or perhaps the director needs more experience in exposition, but generally this is a very good film and is worth your time if you are a science fiction film fan. Uneven, but I look forward to Luke Scott’s next film. And as critics have noted, the ensemble acting was excellent. Yes, at least one person in our group guessed the twist, which is rather obvious when you think back. Expand
HotelCentralFeb 24, 2019
The story here is a bit on the predictable side, but pretty solid and well-constructed, which is a good indication that Ridley Scott had very little to do with the story.

The thought that kept me guessing concerns the Lee Weathers character.

The thought that kept me guessing concerns the Lee Weathers character. She is played in a very non-emotional (almost robotic) way. So my first guess was maybe she's a hybrid too. But if Morgan is the most advanced hybrid to come along, as seems to be implied, then why would anyone take the chance of letting the Lee Weathers hybrid run around on her own. And if you want the answer to this you'll have to watch to the end. And I do recommend you watch it to the end.

The main flaw in the film, of course, is that a corporation with the moral compass to utilize trained assassins as "risk management specialists" would surely have put some kind of "security" operative on the site of the science project that produces "Morgan," simply because it makes more sense to have an assassin there before things go wrong, rather than hours or days after the fact. The obvious choice would've been the only person not trained as a scientist (i.e. the cook and nutritionist), but somebody missed that one by a mile and my guess is it was Scott, since he seems to miss the boat on a lot of things, especially when it comes to story.

But on the whole it's a good film and definitely worth a try.

Why all the negative reviews? Well, in the beginning of the film there's a lot of characters engaging in dialog. They don't have guns or rocket launchers in their hands while doing this dialog thing. They're not even talking like they're really mad. It's all about developing the "story." It's about drama, tension, suspense. Unfortunately, a lot of people think that blazing guns and bloody splatter defines what "drama" should be.
BroyaxAug 11, 2018
Un projet top secret de mise au point d'une androïde ou humaine articificielle génétiquement modifiée est susceptible de partir en vrille, alors on envoit une miss qui n'amuse pas le terrain pour "évaluer les risques" et resserrer lesUn projet top secret de mise au point d'une androïde ou humaine articificielle génétiquement modifiée est susceptible de partir en vrille, alors on envoit une miss qui n'amuse pas le terrain pour "évaluer les risques" et resserrer les boulons...

La petite "Nikita" en herbe est en effet sujette à quelque crise d'ultra-violence et ce sont apparemment les "risques" avec les organismes génétiquement modifiés... alors ange ou démon, la jolie petite cocotte réplicante à l'insu de son plein gré ?

La palette des sentiments est vaste mais il faut croire que l'on a pas pu reproduire l'empathie, un thème hélas pas vraiment abordé ici mais qui aurait mérité que l'on se penche sur le sujet. Le film se cantonne donc au thriller classique avec dérapages à la clé comme dans tout projet très expérimental de ce genre. Notre petite Morgane est en tout cas aussi mignonne qu'ambigüe et fort bien interprétée par la petite Anya.

D'autres seconds couteaux assez connus se sont joints à la fête (Yeoh, Giamatti, Cox et le gars de la série Narcos...) et surtout la très jolie Kate Mara en inspectrice des travaux pas finis, très étonnante ici.

Le film est assez court et diablement efficace, ce qu'il perd en profondeur, il le gagne en rythme... la mise en scène est très bien sauf dans l'action où elle devient nulle à chier : à 4 plans par seconde, excusez-moi mais je n'arrive pas à suivre... ce foutoir.

Ah et cerise sur le gâteau, la fin surprend agréablement par son ironie... Bon divertissement donc et c'est là bien l'essentiel, ma foi.