FilmDistrict | Release Date: November 27, 2013
4.6
Mixed or average reviews based on 154 Ratings
Watch Now
wetwebworkFeb 14, 2014
Was reluctant to watch, ready to hate, but gotta say Spike Lee won me over. Too easy to be precious about something considered original when everything is just a remake anyway.
Canadian365Sep 9, 2014
Awesome Spike Lee movie, with a wild twist at the end! Too bad it came out when other bigger movies were released, which resulted in low box office sales. Glad I found this one, favorite movie in long time!
cwilder06Dec 2, 2013
A few others have said this already but be wary of both the critical and user reviews they seem to largely be commenting on this movie in relation to the original. And I'll put it out there and say, without question, the original is better.A few others have said this already but be wary of both the critical and user reviews they seem to largely be commenting on this movie in relation to the original. And I'll put it out there and say, without question, the original is better. If you haven't seen it, you should.

If you haven't seen it and just hate subtitles (which is a shame, but I understand there are people out there that feel that way) this is absolutely a worthwhile film. It is dark, unpleasant and at times shocking. As noted elsewhere, some of the artistry and complexity of the original is lost here. But, what remains is a much more adventurous and disturbing film than you will find just about anywhere in Hollywood produced cinema these days (certainly I can't recall anything this dark getting a wide release). If you like your movies shocking, upsetting, violent, gritty and generally just extreme you can do a lot worse than giving this a watch.

For those that have seen the original but are curious about the remake, so long as you go in knowing it's in no way going to beat the predecessor it's passable. I realize people are divided on Sharlto's character I thought it worked, but agree it was not nearly as well done as it could have been. The first and third act have some significant changes mostly for the worse, I feel, but I credit Spike Lee for actually trying. And I should note they aren't changes to neuter the extreme nature of the film quite the opposite actually, I feel they just didn't work. In particular, there was a great line in the original, 'Smile and the whole world smiles with you, cry and you cry alone' (or something to that effect) which is haunting within the context of the film but is never used here. Despite it being a small thematic element I found it one of the most profound and the film suffers greatly for not introducing it. All that being said, I still prefer this over the shot-for-shot remake of 'Carrie' where the director tried nothing new and presented us with basically just a carbon copy of the prior film.
brujah723Dec 3, 2013
Not a terrible movie by all means but if you have seen the original you know what is coming. Wish it tried something different, it had some minor stuff but nothing that I can say was major improvement. If you haven't seen the original youNot a terrible movie by all means but if you have seen the original you know what is coming. Wish it tried something different, it had some minor stuff but nothing that I can say was major improvement. If you haven't seen the original you might like this and be surprised, if you've seen the original I say see it when it comes on tv or something just to compare it to the original one. Expand
Adam_KellyMay 25, 2014
I haven't seen the Japanese original, so my review is unbiased.

I haven't seen the Japanese original, so my review is unbiased.

I found the movie intriguing from beginning to end, you never quite know which direction it's going. I enjoyed it visually, it's a visually stunning movie, the violence was brutal.

Josh Brolin gave the best performance of his career.

The surprise ending is what you will want to watch it for, regardless of anything else, it's a brilliant plot cleverly disguised and fun ride while it lasts.

Watching it a second time, you might notice it's short comings but don't blame the director (like so many reviewers have) from what I've read Spike Jonze & Josh Brolin were ultimately disappointed with what was released, apparently the production company virtually cut the film in half, I only hope there's a directors cut some day
a7xfanNov 30, 2013
I'm gonna be up front and honest. I've never seen a Spike Lee film and I've never seen the original. Knowing that the original had such high acclaim this film had huge shoes to fill. People keep saying that this film is unnecessary which isI'm gonna be up front and honest. I've never seen a Spike Lee film and I've never seen the original. Knowing that the original had such high acclaim this film had huge shoes to fill. People keep saying that this film is unnecessary which is stupid because most films that are made today are unnecessary, they obviously wanted to put a new look on an acclaimed Korean story and I appreciate that. The story was very interesting and kept me guessing throughout its entirety. Josh Brolin is a great American actor who pulled off his role as Joe really well. The antagonist was kind of a joke, his attitude throughout was so fake. The twist was just crazy and I couldn't have ever seen that coming and I don't think anyone would've unless you've seen the original already. So honestly if I had to commend anything it would be Josh Brolin and his performance because he played it off so well. In conclusion I liked this film, it was a good hour and 45 minutes of entertainment and I didn't based everything off the fact that its a remake and its directed by Spike Lee. Expand
Leandro36Nov 29, 2013
Everyone in the review section is a idiot. They're just hating on it because it's a remake.

This movie was great. I'll just leave it at that. And IMO this stacks well with the orginal, I'll even say it does just about everything

This movie was great. I'll just leave it at that.

And IMO this stacks well with the orginal, I'll even say it does just about everything better.
Again don't listen to these but hurt idiots, they just can't take off their nostalgia goggles.
dharmaSep 6, 2014
I have a confession to make: I have never seen the original, so called 'superior' Korean original. But from what I've seen: it's a case of 'lost in translation'. For the most part, Oldboy's plot is highly original, the ultimate denoument ofI have a confession to make: I have never seen the original, so called 'superior' Korean original. But from what I've seen: it's a case of 'lost in translation'. For the most part, Oldboy's plot is highly original, the ultimate denoument of the story, shocking and heartbreaking. The casts gave their best A-game: be it Brolin, Olsen and Cooper as well as a particularly hammy Copley. But for the most part, it's a well made thriller that seemed to be 'butchered' a bit by the Producers before release, rumor has it. If such plot line and signature set pieces were based on a Korean film, then I suppose it's time for me to dwell into Korean fare then. Originality...something that Hollywood has missed in recent year.... Expand
Tss5078Aug 24, 2014
Ever since the success of the Grudge, 10 years ago, American filmmakers have been looking to popular overseas films for original ideas, many times simply remaking them. To many, this seems like a desperation move for original material, but IEver since the success of the Grudge, 10 years ago, American filmmakers have been looking to popular overseas films for original ideas, many times simply remaking them. To many, this seems like a desperation move for original material, but I see it more as a cultural thing. Movies often reflect the society of the country they were made in, and by remaking them in the United States, the story introduces movie lovers to something unique, from a different culture. I personally find this very desirable and have appreciated many of these remakes, even when I didn't love the story. In his latest venture, Spike Lee takes on the Korean classic, Oldboy. This is a film that was remade simply because of how bizarre and shocking the story is. The year is 1993, and Joe Doucett (Josh Brolin) isn't a great guy. For some reason, he's drugged and then locked away in a pretty decent looking room without doors or windows, and held there for exactly 20 years. Then, just as suddenly as he was imprisoned, he was released, and goes on a search for answers, in this seemingly new world. Josh Brolin stars and is usually pretty good as an ancillary character, but as the star of a thriller, I was skeptical. As always, he could have shown some more emotion, but he was much better than I thought he'd be. Spike Lee gives him as much help as he can, by giving him a huge cast of supporting actors, all of whom had name recognition. In particular, Samuel L. Jackson playing a psychopath, was very funny, and definitely injected some much needed humor. Oldboy is one of those films where it all comes down to the ending. If you're unfamiliar with the story, I won't say anything other than to tell you, that it is bizarre and twisted, with an ending the likes of which you couldn't possibly have imagined. Even if you start to watch this film and don't really like it, stick with it, because the ending really is that good. Expand
chrisjones914Mar 25, 2014
It has been a long time that a plot twist has legitimately shocked me the way that this movie's did! I felt like it could have been a little longer or at least more drawn out. Also one of the death's caught me as particularly cheesy. However,It has been a long time that a plot twist has legitimately shocked me the way that this movie's did! I felt like it could have been a little longer or at least more drawn out. Also one of the death's caught me as particularly cheesy. However, even though the sum of its parts don't add up to a movie that is great, they definitely make one that is very good! It's weird, it's dark, it's crazy and it's violent! If you're into that then definitely don't hesitate in giving Spike Lee's Oldboy a go! Expand
WolfguardJan 18, 2015
I couldn't find any decent movie on Netflix that I wanted to see, but then I stumbled across this movie and I thought that the premise sounded interesting so I gave it a chance. And ohhh boy, I was not disappointed. I went in with noI couldn't find any decent movie on Netflix that I wanted to see, but then I stumbled across this movie and I thought that the premise sounded interesting so I gave it a chance. And ohhh boy, I was not disappointed. I went in with no expectations but I was absolutely blown away at the end!

There were some scenes I found too exaggerated, some aspects that weren't covered enough and some decisions/reactions I couldn't fully understand, but overall I'd say it's a solid movie. Not an Oscar, but quite decent especially if you haven't got other interesting movies to watch!
BarbudezJul 20, 2015
Siempre la misma murga de siempre (Remakes malvados, remakes diabolicos, puto Hollywood BLA BLA BLA), no voy a negar que Hollywood recurra a las secuelas y a lo remakes, porque este carente de ideas, pero no voy a ser un cínico ni unSiempre la misma murga de siempre (Remakes malvados, remakes diabolicos, puto Hollywood BLA BLA BLA), no voy a negar que Hollywood recurra a las secuelas y a lo remakes, porque este carente de ideas, pero no voy a ser un cínico ni un hipócrita, como mucha gente actúa, solamente porque la película es un remake sin ni siquiera valorarla y mas cuando hay gente competente detrás de ello.

Tampoco voy a ser como mucha gente hace, que te vende una película que te has visto 700.000 veces en la tele y la valore malamente, pero cuando te cascan la enesima versión, pero SALEN CHINOS (Usease Orientales para los finolis tiquismiquis) y ya están los mismos matándose a pajas y tildando de obra maestras, voy a dar mi opinión sean chinos, turcos o de raticulín, Es.....que es un buen remake y no destroza al original.

Personalmente, la versión original (Adaptación de un manga y luego critican la falta de ideas de Hollywood), NO me gusto, me pareció mal dirigida, lenta, poco empática con el espectador, fría, la mitica pelea esa del martillo, un tostón y su gore regulero. Voy a reconocer que el principio de la habitación y el giro de guión es cojonudo , pero vamos no me convenció NADA. Hype de chichinabo. El remake, rulo años y años y años , al final cayo en manos de alguien que no se me lo esperaba, el amigo SPIKE LEE, si, ese señor que tiene un poco de "tirria" a los caucasicos le cayó la responsabilidad de hacer la película.

La película, sigue el guión de la original, pero occidentalizado, la historia va de un ejecutivo de publicidad (Josh Brolin), divorciado, borracho, drogadicto con familia y una vida normal que repentinamente es secuestrado y mantenido como preso en una habitación de motel durante 20 años en régimen de aislamiento. Cuando es liberado inexplicablemente, se embarca en una búsqueda de venganza para descubrir el responsable de su extraño y tortuoso castigo sólo para descubrir que todavía está atrapado en una red de conspiración y tormentos. Las míticas escenas del film original, están y por supuesto no están recortadas ni reducida su violencia, esta peli es R

Spike Lee nos soprende con una película completamente atípica, nos enseña a un Spike Lee visceral, violento y oscuro, que plasma perfectamente la esencia de la pelicula original, pero con algo que carecía la original, que es dinamismo, rapidez, fluidez, una plasmación visual impactante sin tener que recurrir a la obviedad, escenas explicitas, crueles, incomodas (hasta cierto punto), las peleas muy brutas, (dislocaciones, cuellos rotos, cortes, martillazos con sangre y bien coreografiadas y sin epilepsia) . Por supuesto mete sus puyitas personales sobre los negros, ¡pero me gusta mucho más este Spike Lee!.

El reparto nos sorprende un Josh Brolin, que actúa bastante bien, junto con Elizabeth Olsen que nos muestra que ella es la Olsen con talento, el descojonante Samuel L Jackson y Sharlto Copley que este señor borda los papeles de gente sórdida. Los defectos, que tiene pues siempre ocurre que cuando sigues al dedillo el original y no repasas algunos fallos que tenia la original, como que el menda aprende artes marciales viendo la tele (no, la excusa de que es chino no vale),algunos dialogos chorras calcados y algunas partes que no se han "occidentalizado", pues quedan un poco raros y descoloca al espectador.

En conclusión, dejad las gilipolleces y los prejuicios de mierda, no seáis estúpidos y valorar la película como tal, que merece muchísimo la pena y respeta al original.
russiangamerFeb 25, 2017
Неплохой ремейк.
Неплохой ремейк.
То, что было не понято мной в оригинале, стало понятно в этом фильме. Вообще, тут всё подробнейшим образом разжёвывают в плане сюжета. В основном всё тоже самое, но изменены и внесены некоторые детали. Драки выглядят не очень, а вот жестокость порадовала. Так же не могу не отметить момент с мышью (или крысой), который очень тронул меня.
Итог: Посмотрите оригинал 2003 года, а за тем приступайте к этому фильму, что бы было с чем сравнить.
Известные актёры, новые моменты, да и в целом сохранившаяся атмосфера оригинала, но уже без того очаровательного корейского колорита.