Paramount Pictures | Release Date: November 9, 2018
6.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 250 Ratings
Watch Now
StrangeruDec 4, 2018
A lot of miss opportunity. It's a nazi zombie movie... and it takes itself so seriously... No impressive shots, only horror is a bunch of very predictable jump scares, the main character has no character, the actual main protagonist thatA lot of miss opportunity. It's a nazi zombie movie... and it takes itself so seriously... No impressive shots, only horror is a bunch of very predictable jump scares, the main character has no character, the actual main protagonist that actually has a story arc and personality has little to no screen time, and... it's a very mediocre movie. Quite a shame. Expand
LamontRaymondNov 13, 2018
It's better than I thought it would be, but it's essentially without much ambition. For some reason, I was taken by the French Girl, who i figured would have more to say - she doesn't. It's not as scary as I hoped it would be, but it's alsoIt's better than I thought it would be, but it's essentially without much ambition. For some reason, I was taken by the French Girl, who i figured would have more to say - she doesn't. It's not as scary as I hoped it would be, but it's also never boring. Success. Expand
DodgerNov 13, 2018
3.5/10 rounded up.

This movie didnt seem able to decide if it wanted to be a fully hammed up B movie or a more serious ww2 movie, and just ended up being a dissapointing combination of the two. Reasonable acting and the first 5-10 minutes
3.5/10 rounded up.

Reasonable acting and the first 5-10 minutes are good.

Massive historical innacuracies combined with a lack of a reasonable plot and extremely bad story explanation means this is a "watch when it comes to netflix" movie.
Meth-dudeNov 10, 2018
The movie definitely is a crowd pleaser. With well made action sequences, passable special effects and good acting, Overlord is never boring and will probably entertain you all the way through. It's an interesting big budget B horror movie.The movie definitely is a crowd pleaser. With well made action sequences, passable special effects and good acting, Overlord is never boring and will probably entertain you all the way through. It's an interesting big budget B horror movie. Although predictable and cliché, it will probably manage to keep you interested all the way through. Expand
RtheomNov 10, 2018
Disappointing is how I would best describe this movie. It wasn't a bad movie. In fact, it was pretty good as far as general movie standards go for the most part. Unfortunately I was expecting a lot more than what I got. It hints at somethingDisappointing is how I would best describe this movie. It wasn't a bad movie. In fact, it was pretty good as far as general movie standards go for the most part. Unfortunately I was expecting a lot more than what I got. It hints at something far more interesting than just a generic World War 2 zombie movie, but never gets past that. If that's all that you're looking for, you'll probably find this movie enjoyable. If you're looking for some interesting, creative horror, then you most definitely will be disappointed as I was.

It feels like they blew most of the movie's effects budget on the first act, which was pretty spectacular, but made for a pretty lackluster generic and very predictable second act. I was expecting something a little more fascinating from J.J. Abrams and instead got his most tame, "general audience pleaser" yet.

Skip this in the theater. Catch it on Netflix but make sure you have something else to do while you put this on in the background. There's no real reason to give this one your full attention.
Brent_MarchantNov 11, 2018
A movie that suffers from a major identity crisis -- is it a classic horror flick? A World War II drama? A campy gorefest romp? Well, it's actually all of these to some extent or another, and the fusion never really meshes as audiences try toA movie that suffers from a major identity crisis -- is it a classic horror flick? A World War II drama? A campy gorefest romp? Well, it's actually all of these to some extent or another, and the fusion never really meshes as audiences try to guess where this boring, meandering slog is going to go next. From my perspective, it works best as a campy gorefest, something it finally gets around to being about 30 minutes from the end. Had it stuck to this formula throughout, it would have been a much more entertaining picture. As it stands now, though, it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, and that, unfortunately, represents a major missed opportunity. Expand
ItzClockWorkNov 23, 2018
Very disappointed. First half was okay. The second half, not so much. The antagonists were poorly developed, the protagonists development wasn't forced enough, and this experimentation with the item in the movie is completely absurd. 3/10Very disappointed. First half was okay. The second half, not so much. The antagonists were poorly developed, the protagonists development wasn't forced enough, and this experimentation with the item in the movie is completely absurd. 3/10 would not watch again. Expand
GinaKNov 14, 2018
Be warned – this movie is very violent. But, of course, so was World War II. I was definitely not bored, and the American soldiers were very ingratiating, partly because none of them were in the war by choice (the Nazis were all aggressiveBe warned – this movie is very violent. But, of course, so was World War II. I was definitely not bored, and the American soldiers were very ingratiating, partly because none of them were in the war by choice (the Nazis were all aggressive brutes, of course). The Americans and the French were the good guys – and to stack the deck on the French side, we only met a young woman pursued sexually by the Nazi commander, a young boy clutching a baseball, and an aunt disfigured by the Germans. So, okay, nothing was subtle in this movie, but the film was lively and inventive, and I enjoyed it. Expand
BioTofuApr 2, 2019
felt like a castle wolfenstein movie with those nazi zombies. i can tell this was a fantasy/scifi horror movie when i saw black soldiers integrated into a majority white paratrooper company in WWII, so this was very not historic, which I wasfelt like a castle wolfenstein movie with those nazi zombies. i can tell this was a fantasy/scifi horror movie when i saw black soldiers integrated into a majority white paratrooper company in WWII, so this was very not historic, which I was OK with. however, I do have a love hate relationship with the protagonist because he is such a terrible soldier, almost selfish. many of the soldiers made very dumb decisions in the movie but the motives were still pretty convincing, because we know they are inexperienced and stupid. the opening jump scene was great. then some of the shots when they were marching at night early on was quite good. but thats pretty much it. the second half was mostly predictable cliche. watch this for entertainment if you are interested in WWII zombies. Expand
thisisevilevilMar 8, 2019
It started out really well, it could have been great, but around the middle of the movie it all just went downhill, unfortunately. Wyatt Russell was also a miscast for his role, as it was not believable at all :(

Would have loved to explore

Would have loved to explore more of the villain in the movie portrayed by Pilou Asbæk, but he only had limited screen time and was severely dumbed down in the end. A good movie that could have been great, but unfortunately because of bad writing, is painfully average.
HipsterDufusNov 16, 2018
Meh. Not bad. Somewhat cliche. I liked the first half, second half felt pretty predictable.
bkristmanNov 11, 2018
This film reminds me a bit of a straight to video film called Frankenstein's Army. It takes place in WW2 and traces the story of half a dozen soldiers trying to take out a town tower housing a big gun .
They get much more than they counted on
They get much more than they counted on though as they walk into a secret Nazi laboratory.
It's actually a pretty bad film but it keeps you interested with copious amounts of blood,gore and mayhem .
The lead character is a sadistic Nick Fury type blood and guts no-nonsense soldier and he has to lead this pansy-ass group into the mission .He should have had a cigar.It would've been a nice touch. Worth seeing on cheap tuesday at a discount. Very noisy,lots of closeup action. Fun.
sensorglitchNov 19, 2018
The trailer makes this look cool, so does the description, but it is really bad. It was pointless and boring.
AngryShark92Dec 9, 2018
Overlord is not a bad movie, I believe it is just another entertaining action/mystery movie with a good balance of both genres. There was enough action to keep it entertaining and enough of a mystery to keep you watching, but ultimately, inOverlord is not a bad movie, I believe it is just another entertaining action/mystery movie with a good balance of both genres. There was enough action to keep it entertaining and enough of a mystery to keep you watching, but ultimately, in the end, it is a tad too predictable, and a little bit unoriginal.

The movie centres around a squadron of soldiers sent to destroy a radio control tower to help pave the way for the D-Day landing and invasion of Normandy, while they are on that mission, they start to unravel mysteries about what the SS division is doing in a small village of coastal France.

I walked into this expecting Nazi zombies from Call of Duty, or an Americanized version of Dead Snow, instead I feel like I just watched Return to Castle Wolfenstein as a movie. Mathilde Ollivier (Chloe) & Pilou Asbæk (Wafner) both did a fine job of portraying their characters and the movie has enough going for it to convince any fans of the Mystery/Action genre to take a look at it, although I believe that calling this a horror movie is a bit of a stretch.

+ Great atmosphere
+ Good characters
+ Entertaining movie
+ Good mystery elements
+ Good "zombie" design
+ Well done suspenseful moments

- Unoriginal (If you recognize the titles I mentioned earlier, especially Wolfenstein)
- Some contrived plot moments
- Missed opportunities
- Some forgettable characters
- Labeling this as a horror/zombie flick is a bit debatable

Overall this was a good action/mystery flick that kept me entertained for 100 minutes and did not become instantly stale/tiresome like some others in the genre tend to. I have to say that more time dealing with the monsters/zombies/creations etc., would have been more beneficial to this movie, but it is in no means a waste of money. My score is a 6.5/10.
JLuis_001Nov 15, 2018
I hate to use this word but honestly I think Overlord is the most overrated film of recent months. In the first place because of the expectations that it raised because it's a project of J.J. Abrams who was initially believed to be anotherI hate to use this word but honestly I think Overlord is the most overrated film of recent months. In the first place because of the expectations that it raised because it's a project of J.J. Abrams who was initially believed to be another film in the Cloverfield universe and later for the good reviews it received, which I find difficult to understand.

Overlord works with its mix of genres but is not as effective as it boasts or as entertaining as advertised. It's difficult for it to gain momentum and it loses it because of its simple environment. Practically after they are thrown from the plane, the film only becomes a round trip in the same places to solve the mystery.

I applaud the work of production, visual effects and makeup but the story, the cast and the conclusion seemed too irregular.

It's definitely an ideal film for a weekend for the kind of entertainment it offers but in the end Overlord is also a quite forgettable experience.
movieducationNov 11, 2018
OVERLORD isn’t as mighty as I expected. Once it unleashes its focal point, it gets the job done, that’s that, simultaneously to be generic, missing out the real depiction of Nazis are only human who could do everything, the title ! Trapped toOVERLORD isn’t as mighty as I expected. Once it unleashes its focal point, it gets the job done, that’s that, simultaneously to be generic, missing out the real depiction of Nazis are only human who could do everything, the title ! Trapped to the undead that is already overused. Expand
PepsiJamieDec 10, 2018
I really enjoyed this WWII horror/adventure. Interesting story, creepy monsters, great acting. There is some gore but I didn't think it was too much. Just an exciting thrill-fest, great for a good "horror night" flick.
DeusExCriticaFeb 17, 2019
Basically Wolfenstein: the Movie.

It avoids going into the cheesy territory, which I apreciate. Nazi zombies doesn't have to be the exclusive domain of schlock. It succeeds in what it's trying to do, but the premise of Nazis performing
Basically Wolfenstein: the Movie.

It succeeds in what it's trying to do, but the premise of Nazis performing insane experiments could have been explored a bit more. Sadly the movie seems content in using it only as an excuse for the zombies to show up, which frankly, is starting to get tired at this point. Most of action scenes are excellent, with one or two exceptions where the fighting lacked a certain "depth" that was present in the rest.
Acting was good across the board, not amazing, but good, though some characters felt under-utilized, making me think the movie could have benefited from a somewhat longer runtime.

All in all, it's a good action movie, with an excellent horror movie hiding within it. The further exploration of certain elements in the narrative could have elevated Overlord from good, to great.
moviemitch96Nov 9, 2018
This film looked pretty crazy to me, so I was interested to see just how it would go down. It involved a small group of American soldiers being dropped behind enemy lines during the D-Day invasion...but with a twist! The Nazis are performingThis film looked pretty crazy to me, so I was interested to see just how it would go down. It involved a small group of American soldiers being dropped behind enemy lines during the D-Day invasion...but with a twist! The Nazis are performing supernatural experiments on their prisoners to use against the American soldiers. While this was an interesting idea and it definitely proved a wild ride on several occasions, in the end it felt like nothing too spectacular or memorable to me, not to mention there were several predictable jump scares almost anyone will see coming from a mile away. Combining genres can be effective sometimes, but in this case, crossing a war film with a zombie/supernatural thriller proved pretty scattershot and a little too all over the place for my liking. Overall, it's fun at times, but also pretty messy and chaotic as a whole (both literally and figuratively speaking.) Expand
Moviereviewer15Nov 9, 2018
Nazi Zombies getting their asses kicked in IMAX with the guy from Fences and Fitz from Agents of SHIELD.
TVJerryNov 14, 2018
During World War II, American paratroopers drop into a German-occupied village in France with a mission to help make way for the Allied invasion. While making their stealthy way to the assigned location, they discover dark Nazi science thatDuring World War II, American paratroopers drop into a German-occupied village in France with a mission to help make way for the Allied invasion. While making their stealthy way to the assigned location, they discover dark Nazi science that takes this film to a level of sci-fi fear. From the harrowing opening parachute sequence, director Julius Avery grabs hold with intense action, which continues to pay off in brutal violence and bizarre encounters. Those who appreciate loud, aggressive movies will find this tense adventure wholly enjoyable. Expand
BrianMcCriticNov 13, 2018
I had a ton of fun at Overlord, from start to finish this film knew what it wanted to do and succeeded. Wyatt Russell channeling his dad was great and director Julius Avery hits all the right notes. One scene towards the beginning of the filmI had a ton of fun at Overlord, from start to finish this film knew what it wanted to do and succeeded. Wyatt Russell channeling his dad was great and director Julius Avery hits all the right notes. One scene towards the beginning of the film just blew me away. Overall a low 8 an A-. Expand
paulraisedFeb 9, 2019
Like everything involving Abrams this is mediocre at best. The pace is way too slow, movie is too long. Characters are not interesting. Zombies should be fun but they managed to make it boring. Not worth your time.
KeithDowNov 11, 2018
I heard good things about 'Overlord.' I wish I hadn't. It would've saved me fifteen bucks.

The writing is lame and while I enjoyed Wyatt Russell's performance in 'Ingrid Goes West,' I think this role exposes him as a poor man's Jason Clarke. Furthermore, 'Overlord' uses a dozen different tropes that have already been used a thousand different times before, so the film feels more like a mashup of worn out plot points than anything innovative or original.
Spina_FlaNov 15, 2018
São três atos bem distintos, uma excelente mixagem de som ajuda o clima. No final um divertimento apenas razoável.
dchipps1945Nov 10, 2018
There is no point in pointing out that Nazi atrocities actually occurred, or that cliches abound here. Everyone knows that! What this movie delivers is Nazis, atrocities, and lots of cliches, done in the way lovers of schlocky horror/sci-fi,There is no point in pointing out that Nazi atrocities actually occurred, or that cliches abound here. Everyone knows that! What this movie delivers is Nazis, atrocities, and lots of cliches, done in the way lovers of schlocky horror/sci-fi, like me, love. I'd personally much rather have these cliches dug up every few years than sit though yet another post-apocalyptic, dystopian-future zombie flick. I'll take the WWII hardware and tech over present or future stuff any day. Don't criticize this film because it doesn't satisfy your aesthetic or moral tastes. The acting is solid, the story can be followed, and the monsters and gore and exploding Nazis are wild fun. Period. Best Nazi horror/sci-fi since Iron Sky. I'm gonna see it again. Expand
hyrosenNov 11, 2018
Terrible movie. Anachronistic integrated and unracist army. Plot by poor decision making. Tropes, not characters. Boring and predictable.
Lambo442Nov 9, 2018
This film was absolutely incredible, like Wolfenstein the movie, on crack. Thoroughly entertaining, didn't take itself too seriously, but still managed to be hard-hitting and intense. All the elements were there, solid acting, great pacing,This film was absolutely incredible, like Wolfenstein the movie, on crack. Thoroughly entertaining, didn't take itself too seriously, but still managed to be hard-hitting and intense. All the elements were there, solid acting, great pacing, awesome special effects. Some of the imagery was brilliantly disturbing. Ok so it relies heavily on cliche, with your typical, 2-dimensional nazi foot-soldiers stomping around, carrying out crazy experiments etc, but that's what we love, right? For me this has all the makings of a cult classic that I'll be watching again and again. Expand
ArmandoSaucedaNov 13, 2018
Explosive effects, action, and entertaining as hell. There is no character development yet Overlord doesn't try to be anything other than what it is. Overlord nails a modern "B action" movie with a great production team and masterful acting.Explosive effects, action, and entertaining as hell. There is no character development yet Overlord doesn't try to be anything other than what it is. Overlord nails a modern "B action" movie with a great production team and masterful acting. Think Tarantino's and Rodriguez's "Grindhouse" but better. This movie is a good time and if you read what the actors and director were trying to deliver, they nailed it. Expand
Compi24Nov 10, 2018
Man, is it good to get an original movie in every now and then. Don't get me wrong, I like me some franchise films, true-to-life stories, and some literary adaptations. But after the amount of mediocre entries we've had in the aboveMan, is it good to get an original movie in every now and then. Don't get me wrong, I like me some franchise films, true-to-life stories, and some literary adaptations. But after the amount of mediocre entries we've had in the above categories, you have to find time for a nice change of pace. Dear God, was this that. Supremely well-crafted period elements and set pieces. Addictingly satisfying horror underpinnings. And an amazing bunch of characters/performances. One of the very few movies I've seen this year that I didn't want to end. More please. Expand
pnoyfilmtvadikNov 12, 2018
Oh this film is great!!! It's got class, suspense and thrills, great new actors, amazing twists, dare i say it way waaaay better than black panther and lala land. Watch it!
Creeper3455Nov 10, 2018
(Spoilers I guess? for Mandy,so look out)
(Spoilers I guess? for Mandy,so look out)
Overlord will be produced by JJ Abrams (Super 8 and Star Wars The Force Awakens),QUICK! Start all the Cloverfield Universe theories before it’s too late! Alright,all jokes aside,uhh...What’s to say really about Overlord,other than it’s a gorefest full of moments so fun you could make a poem about it and just use the adjective FUN for every word? Or,you know,just stick to the song from SpongeBob about Fun….
This will probably be a tough one to review,since everything about it was full of wonderment,right down to the script,which manages to keep a fair balance between action,campiness and straight up horror stuff. Like,hell...If you’ll see the Paramount logo in black and white,followed by a Fallout-ish opening,you know you’ll be in for a ride.
It’s a Saving Private Ryan-esque story mashed with a B-Movie plot about Zombinazis and immortal beings that should feel like they had two different movies and the studio mashed them together...But NO. This is reality,oh holy TNTs!
It’s also surprisingly easy to follow,considering it’s a (sort of) War Movie,and usually these kind of movies have a tough time to let the audience follow the story
Even the cinematography is to be praised,as director Julius Avery said they wanted to do this whole minute of “just a shot” on purpose,and it felt crazy for the director,but hey,you have JJ Abrams as a producer,so of course everything can happen in Production. This whole minute of ‘Just a Shot’ is just as intense as the ‘just a shot’ in Mandy where Nic Cage is mourning for the death of his wife.
And all the violence in this movie,man… Like,2018 is proving to be a violent year for independent movies. Revenge started the year with a girl shooting a guy’s arm in a non-American style,followed by Mandy with a scene where Nic Cage rips a guy’s head in MASS INSANITY (alongside a glorious Chainsaw Fight),and now here we have Overlord,with a guy’s head exploding through a grenade in his mouth,a gal’s head and spine trapped that can still talk (with some serious RoboCop 2014 vibes) and a badass lady shooting a zombie with a flamethrower (just as epic as the last shot in A Quiet Place,I might say). And no matter how simple it is,but Jed Kurzel’s take on a bad guy theme will always be fun to hear,with those threatening violins going in a serious and...Well,”threatening” way.
If I had to point some flaws,just the fact that for the first 40 mins or so,the movie is overly dark. I didn’t have a problem with it,but it may be annoying for some viewers.
And the sound reel I had in my theater (a traditional Digital Theater) feels like it belongs to an IMAX copy of it (which makes sense,considering the release of the movie in IMAX,although in Italy we don’t have it,what the hell?).
But above the flaws… Roses are red,Violets are blue,Birds are chirping through the clouds,Overlord is super fun and depending on your point of view,you’re destined to have a great time at this ‘what is supposed to be’ Trashy War B-Movie.
Davrosdaleks1Nov 10, 2018
Overlord is about a group of WWII soldiers who encounter evil Nazi zombie experiments in an occupied French town. I walked into this having already heard positive reviews, but I was still surprised at how much I liked this. The thing is thatOverlord is about a group of WWII soldiers who encounter evil Nazi zombie experiments in an occupied French town. I walked into this having already heard positive reviews, but I was still surprised at how much I liked this. The thing is that the basic story is predictable. Everything happens like you'd think it would happen. However, the thing is so well done, the simplicity didn't matter.

The action is appropriately violent and nicely executed. There is one scene in particular that is wonderfully shot and may be near the top of my list. This is kind of a genre mix as this is much a war film as a horror one. You have to wait for the zombies, but there is enough violence and the basic fear of who could go next that it probably won't be an issue for you.

I liked that they the zombies aren't uniform. They're distinctive and freaky looking creatures.

There was a rumor that this was being considered for part of the Cloverfield series. I can see why. Overlord has a similar quality. Solid action horror is combined with tight dialogue and characterization. (There are even a few funny lines.) Also has a good cast all around.
rlovellNov 19, 2018
Overlord is a very good and entertaining movie. But it does seem that it was slightly confused on whether it wanted to be a comedy or a serious WW2 movie. The acting could have been better, but was overall a very entertaining movie.
DasikNov 18, 2018
The film keeps all the time in suspense.At least some more diverse among superhero movies
Caldan58Apr 7, 2019
7.9/10
I was expecting much more horror but this is more action, even though it’s a nazi zombie film. Not the film I was expecting or hoping for but still good!
Vitor007Nov 23, 2018
This bloodthirsty film brings a unique vision, in which it brings a production focused on war but with terror. The ease and lightness in which this vision is transmitted becomes perfect for the film's progress. His script ends up being simpleThis bloodthirsty film brings a unique vision, in which it brings a production focused on war but with terror. The ease and lightness in which this vision is transmitted becomes perfect for the film's progress. His script ends up being simple in a few moments, becoming a fast film for many of the spectators. With light performances and a good production becomes singular and original. 8.3/10 Expand
clarkaddisonNov 12, 2018
A fun movie that is more WWII horror than zombie flick. Gore fest with tense scenes throughout
bataguilaNov 12, 2018
Muy buena, emocionante, historia dinámica, creíble hasta cierto punto. El cast es desconocido, no actúan bien, pero la acción la salva por mucho. Muy similar a Guerra mundial Z
raaaaaaaaarterNov 12, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was really good, from the beginning to the end this movie had me at the edge of my seat. The characters were really well put together, and the action/war and horror were put together really well. Expand
saturnoprezziNov 16, 2018
A me ricorda tanto castle Wolfestein ..il videogioco,mi sbaglio però devo dire che quest'anno è uno dei pochi titoli horror che almeno dal trailer sembra meritare la visione,sono appassionato di film horror e ho trovato questo streaming itaA me ricorda tanto castle Wolfestein ..il videogioco,mi sbaglio però devo dire che quest'anno è uno dei pochi titoli horror che almeno dal trailer sembra meritare la visione,sono appassionato di film horror e ho trovato questo streaming ita https://bit.ly/2DczCPv OVERLORD​
Se qualcuno vuole vederlo prima di andare al cinema x valutare se ne vale la pena io faccio sempre cosi,oppure dopo li noleggio online.
Daggett79Nov 17, 2018
Loved this movie. It felt like it was right out of call of duty zombies. It was a tad slow in the mid part, but picked up fast and took off. If you love zombies and WWII movies combine them and watch this.
kimskiNov 28, 2018
A good fun ride.. Started very well, lots of good atmosphere a hell of a soundtrack/effects.. but it all just becomes a little stale by the end.. an opportunity missed.
parkermDec 12, 2018
Yooooo this movie was doooope, like daaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnggggggg brooooooooo
OldCrappyCouchFeb 22, 2019
I purchased the Blu-ray based on the positive reviews I've seen and the really cool looking trailers. I went in expecting an over the top action horror flick, what I got was a hot mess of disappointment. How can you take this concept andI purchased the Blu-ray based on the positive reviews I've seen and the really cool looking trailers. I went in expecting an over the top action horror flick, what I got was a hot mess of disappointment. How can you take this concept and manage to make it boring?! This flick pushes your willing suspension of disbelief beyond the point of insulting your intelligence and comes back for seconds. I won't provide spoilers because I often go for "bad" films just for giggles, but buyer beware. Overlord was so shockingly boring, predictable and just straight up annoyingly stupid that I stopped and gave up right around 1:12:00, which is the final run up to the "climax." I urge you to wait for Overlord to pop up on the instant queue or Prime video.

Pros:
Solid plot
Nice visuals

Cons:
Awful writing
No character development
Slow, boring pace
Painfully stupid characters
Surprising lack of action
TheQuietGamerNov 28, 2019
You know, it's entirely possible to make a sensitive protagonist that's not a useless wimp. Unfortunately, Overlord didn't get this memo as all its lead's emotions prove good for are repeatedly screwing things up for everybody and making eyesYou know, it's entirely possible to make a sensitive protagonist that's not a useless wimp. Unfortunately, Overlord didn't get this memo as all its lead's emotions prove good for are repeatedly screwing things up for everybody and making eyes at the local French girl. It's like Julius Avery decided to take Finn from Star Wars and make him twice the hapless idiot without any of the charm that made him a likable doofus. The rest of the cast fares no better as they all get stuck playing overused stereotypes that are painfully underdeveloped.

That whole Nazi zombie premise? Yeah, that never comes to fruition. It takes until the darn near end of the movie to see any of these mutated freaks, and even then it's only really the big baddie himself who gets to do anything. The majority of the running-time is instead dedicated to watching the characters hide in an attic from German troops that are apparently deaf to gunfire and screaming. Not exactly riveting cinema.

The film looks great though. The gore effects are incredible and the underground laboratory looks like it was ripped straight from Call of Duty. It even gets the tone right by never taking itself too seriously and having something of a knowing sense of humor. The action just isn't as good as the presentation though, and that's a huge letdown. I've seen a lot of people compare Overlord to a videogame, but don't expect it to deliver the feeling of actually getting to play through one. This is more like watching all of the cutscenes and then skipping right to the final boss battle, which isn't much fun.

4.4/10
MEGADUDEJun 8, 2019
If wolfenstein the game could be made into a movie this would be it.. spectacular gory nazi killing zombie fest great story great action.
TyranianFeb 12, 2020
Has some style visually but is ultimately not original or clever enough to rate highly.
imthenoobJun 25, 2019
The acting by the cast is the only highlight of this movie. It's very slow paced, The plot isn't all that interesting and they don't dive deep enough into the sci-fi element to really make it worthwhile. They might as well have made this aThe acting by the cast is the only highlight of this movie. It's very slow paced, The plot isn't all that interesting and they don't dive deep enough into the sci-fi element to really make it worthwhile. They might as well have made this a flat out WW2 movie. And those special effects involving the mutations leaves a lot more to be desired, Some of them look downright awful. Expand
EludiumQ36Feb 27, 2019
This was a surprisingly entertaining WWII flick that featured a cast of unknowns confronting nightmarish Nazi-experimental reanimated humanoids - colloquially referred to as "zombies". The film starts off with a high-action paratroopingThis was a surprisingly entertaining WWII flick that featured a cast of unknowns confronting nightmarish Nazi-experimental reanimated humanoids - colloquially referred to as "zombies". The film starts off with a high-action paratrooping event, then gets slow for a bit, till the big fight and explosion scenes in the final third. There were some genuinely compelling fight/horror scenes in that final third. Some of the horror makeup is Oscar-worthy. Not sure why they selected relative unknown Jovan Adepo as the hero but he wasn't really up to it. Maybe his "Boyce" character is best described as anti-hero since as an Army private he was insubordinate more than once. But as an actor, he didn't make a lasting impression, no one is going to call this their breakout film. Expand
ApolscFeb 8, 2019
One of the cheesiest movies ive seen. It's a B movie homage can't be the excuse for all the cliches in the writing. All the characters in this movie we've already seen in others, as the whole story too. Also political correction has gone outOne of the cheesiest movies ive seen. It's a B movie homage can't be the excuse for all the cliches in the writing. All the characters in this movie we've already seen in others, as the whole story too. Also political correction has gone out of hand, this thing of no racism in the army by that time is too much. Expand
Scottgun00Nov 18, 2018
Short answer: worth a matinee-priced ticket on a weekend when you have nothing better to do. If you can get over the first major anachronism you are faced with: a racially-integrated U.S. Airborne unit, then you will get a fairly exciting 40Short answer: worth a matinee-priced ticket on a weekend when you have nothing better to do. If you can get over the first major anachronism you are faced with: a racially-integrated U.S. Airborne unit, then you will get a fairly exciting 40 minutes of straight-up World War II action. Then things take a decidedly Lovecraftian turn which, sad to say, became wearying and the worst crime of all, not really scary. On the plus side is a good helping of live action and less of the obtrusive cgi which tends to make most action movies look like video games. On the silly side is what I call the Nazi Limitless Depravity Rule of filmmaking. That is, all WWII Germans will always choose immoral acts even if they make no sense or are even against their interest. Still, I had fun which has not happened in the theater for me in quite awhile. Expand
MattBrady99May 2, 2019
'Overlord' could've been an over the top thrill ride, but unfortunately gets bogged down by bad dialogue and not fully embracing itself. Not to say it was boring or bad, just needed to experiment more.

On the bright side, this is the closest

On the bright side, this is the closest we have gotten to a video game adaption of "Black Ops: Zombies".
moviecritic68Nov 15, 2018
Well if you like intense violence & drama this film will surely have you squirming in your seats now and then. I'd say the current rating is spot on. Kept the audience's attention throughout but hardly what I would deem as a blockbuster.
RalfbergsDec 18, 2019
Some interesting mix of movie about nazis and sci-fi and something like zombies. Interesting movie, maybe nothing too impressive but I thought it was good.
CineAutoctonoDec 20, 2019
"Overlord" was a movie fulled of action and horror in many senses, the perfromances had been good developed, some moments could not be the expected, b ut it makes you entertained and emotioned.
QubeFeb 8, 2019
Overlord is everything I want in a good movie. An awesome interesting story and action packed scenes.
JalmerkNov 27, 2018
Overlord starts off very strong but ultimately does not live up to it's full potential. There isn't enough high budget Action-Horror movies made these days, and if that is your thing then Overlord is absolutely worth a watch, just don'tOverlord starts off very strong but ultimately does not live up to it's full potential. There isn't enough high budget Action-Horror movies made these days, and if that is your thing then Overlord is absolutely worth a watch, just don't expect it to add anything original to it's genre. Expand
PiranteNov 21, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I came into the movie with zero expectations - I'd saw one trailer lasting for about 60 seconds and nothing else. I would recommend you do the same as you will simply enjoy it more. Let's focus on the key elements here:

The story

This is far-fetched, daft, predictable (they win in the end) but ultimately satisfying because it contains just enough realistic elements, and serious moments, to pull it along. The whole premise of finding a hidden Nazi base in which human experimentation plays into the very real, very gruesome stories from WWII and uses those historical facts to weave together a story that is, whilst clearly ridiculous, real enough for what it wishes to achieve. Overall, the story is good enough and never too outrageous as to make it feel absurd (though there are absurd moments).

The Acting

I thought the characterisations were done very, very well with few, if any, poor performers. The lead protagonist was well conceived and believable. The romantic interest excellent as the movie eschewed the typical romantic-lead archetypes instead portraying a character who, though she may develop some affinity with the lead, has simply too much else to deal with for anything to actually occur in a romantic sense. This realistic portrayal of their dynamic really contributed positively to the story and the movie as a whole. The supporting cast are well realised and fairly memorable except for the guy rescued initially from the Nazi torture lab - I actually couldn't remember who he was before that point and, afterwards, he is by far the most forgettable character - I feel the guy (whose name I forget early on) who was writing a book documenting the war would have been a better person to keep around and have as support. The antagonist is suitably evil though very stereotypically Nazi (as are pretty much all of the Nazi's - mindless, heartless, pure evil as it were) - I long for the day that a movie depicts the Nazi's as actual humans doing bad things rather than some sort of inhuman evil. This is a minor gripe though and, in a movie of this nature, perhaps a little too much to expect.

Set pieces

There are a number of pivotal moments and action sequences in this movie and they are widely different in terms of their success and impact. The opening 15 minutes or so - from the plane to the French girls house - are captured excellently and honestly wouldn't look much out of place in a bona fide war movie. I guess this is the intention with the 'horror' that comes meant to surprise - again this movie would be best enjoyed knowing nothing! The sequence with the captured Nazi captain in the loft is full of suspense and intrigue but, in terms of realism, is obviously let down by all of the god damn noise they make. The first glimpse into the Nazi experimentation site is tense and exciting though it is somewhat miraculous that our protagonist finds a way out (the busted sewage grate a lazy, overused trope in this instance). The second instance, involving a full scale attack on the camp with the aim of destroying everything, is again a little ridiculous (2 vs 40+ at one point?) but certainly passable. The sequence with the French woman being chased by the derranged half zombie thing is very good, tense, with a genuinely horrific inhuman 'thing' adding to the suspense. The final main action sequence, involving the hard ass commander and the main Nazi captain was, for me, somewhat anti-climactic. I understand that there was a necessity to wrap up the story, and that the only conceivable way was to destroy everything, but the fight sequence was very formulaic and predictable which did not really fit with the rest of the movie which, for the most part, approached the whole genre, and it's own individual scenes and moments, in an original fashion. Some may be left feeling deflated with the finale but I think the overall drive of the movie more than compensates for that. The dialogue

This is decent without ever rising above that. There are some good moments - the allied captains interactions with the Nazi commander are a personal highlight - and the palpable chemistry between the protagonist and the French woman is maintained well without ever being overstated. The loud mouth American is a tad annoying though and his dialogue frequently deviants to the corny which is a shame as, with better dialogue, he would've been a much stronger addition to the ensemble. Conclusion

I'm running of out character limit here but overall I enjoyed the movie, thought the acting performances on the whole were excellent, thought the story was presented in quite a unique way and this added to the enjoyment and quality. It is not perfect and you will, of course, have to suspend belief to enjoy this. On the whole, when compared with a lot of other movies of a similar ilk, I found this refreshing and well worth a watch. I would've given it an 8 had the final set piece been better.
manningn15Feb 24, 2019
The makeup was spectacularly well done, the makeup look super real. The cast gave fantastic performances especially Jovan Adepo, Mathilde Ollivier, Wyatt Russell, John Magaro, Gianny Taufer, and Pilou Asbæk. The writing, story, and screenplayThe makeup was spectacularly well done, the makeup look super real. The cast gave fantastic performances especially Jovan Adepo, Mathilde Ollivier, Wyatt Russell, John Magaro, Gianny Taufer, and Pilou Asbæk. The writing, story, and screenplay were very good. Overall this was a pretty great movie. Expand
amheretojudgeFeb 7, 2019
For A Pointless War.

Overlord Avery's battlefield grows more and more as a sham as it tries to be real. The setup is pretty basic, a mix-up of two clearly in-congruent genre that would tease you, which is also the very reason it will be
For A Pointless War.

Overlord

Avery's battlefield grows more and more as a sham as it tries to be real. The setup is pretty basic, a mix-up of two clearly in-congruent genre that would tease you, which is also the very reason it will be off-putting. A bunch of soldiers; friends; warriors; call them anything, are allotted a parchment of a one-line note that describes their dogmatic characters and they are plastering it with commitment onto the screen. The conversations are chalky and the dialogues cheesy, but above all that physically repels you is the questionable trajectories that it adapts in every step of the structure. You are taught to scoff off few limitations in order to enjoy the film, where the entertainment comes in mediocrity.

Unless, you are a fan of gore vision foliated as a big CGI fight sequence, unfortunately the banal and unnecessarily loud bloodbath will be the least of your concern. What's appreciative among all this, is Avery's execution that is certainly improved, for even though he might not have anything under the covers, he surely convinces you to stay for the big reveal, Adepo invading the troops castle is well shot and is driven without any words on the screen.

Speaking of whom, the performance may not be exceptionally good, but it certainly lives up to the expectations where Russell and Asbaek- no matter how melodramatic- with cliched one liners creates a cinematic environment. One might even lop off all those questions that holds you back, but there seems no definite point that the film attains to reach, in its own reasons or hobby, it wishes to punch its way out of the room. Overlord is a big commercial empty threat, it can be crowd pleasing as it is not challenging you intellectually in any form, but then even the action is not for everyone.
RaduAMar 1, 2019

A very intense movie. Those who like war movies + zombie / mutant movies will love this movie. Makeup and CGI are surprisingly good but I can not say the same thing about the dialogue (at times it was very bad). The action scenes are

The action scenes are well done, especially the starting scene.
MovieNightsApr 27, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. meh.... First half was really good but the second half just devolves into a generic boring Resident Evil boss fight. Apparently people in that time don't know how to kill a zombie. Expand
GarethBMay 4, 2019
Pretty bad, best parts are the effects, authentic WW2 equipment and the french actress. Takes itself way too seriously but has no story, plot or drama to back it up. Should have gone full B movie and would have been more entertaining.
BerikJul 5, 2020
Imagine a historically accurate WW2 movie with true to life discrimination, racism and responsible personalities that don't like killing or being in Germany. Now toss that out of a window, and suspense your sense of disbelief for Overlord.Imagine a historically accurate WW2 movie with true to life discrimination, racism and responsible personalities that don't like killing or being in Germany. Now toss that out of a window, and suspense your sense of disbelief for Overlord. Overlord is a Horror/Science fiction movie set in WW2 about a squad that has to take out a tower on a church held by Germans. But somehow, the Germans have found Mr. Hyde juice underground, and inject people with it to turn them into 70's horror characters. Apart from an American GI Joe that watched too many not yet existing movies and some whiny stereotypes, it's basically a woke squad of 5 people against a German army.

Plot armor and PC culture save the day, as an African-American private (didn't happen because of racism) and a French hooker cliché their way to victory. That's really all i can say without spoiling this contrived Sitcom of a movie. The little kid in this movie is hilarious though. He makes funny (out of place) faces, and runs into gunfights while screaming as if he's doing a Rohirrim charge. I think he was supposed to star in a home alone movie, but got the studios mixed up and now plays in a WW2 horror movie.

It's an average movie. I give it a 6/10.
qbaseFeb 15, 2019
Το Overlord μας βάζει στη καρδιά του 2ου Παγκοσμίου Πολέμου, μία ημέρα πριν την απόβαση στη Νορμανδία. Μια ομάδα Αμερικάνων αλεξιπτωτιστών ετοιμάζονται να πέσουν στις γαλλικές ακτές, με αποστολή να καταστρέψουν έναν πύργο ελέγχου πουΤο Overlord μας βάζει στη καρδιά του 2ου Παγκοσμίου Πολέμου, μία ημέρα πριν την απόβαση στη Νορμανδία. Μια ομάδα Αμερικάνων αλεξιπτωτιστών ετοιμάζονται να πέσουν στις γαλλικές ακτές, με αποστολή να καταστρέψουν έναν πύργο ελέγχου που βρίσκεται σε ένα κοντινό χωριό, ώστε να μπορέσουν να περάσουν τα συμμαχικά βομβαρδιστικά. Το αεροπλάνο τους καταρρίπτεται, με ελάχιστους άνδρες να σώζονται, και έχοντας μονάχα λίγες ώρες στη διάθεσή τους, παίρνουν το δρόμο προς το χωριό.
Εκεί βρίσκουν τη νεαρή Chloe, μια γαλλιδούλα που προσπαθεί να επιβιώσει και να κρατήσει ζωντανούς την άρρωστη θεία και τον μικρό αδερφό της στο κατεχόμενο χωριό. Έχοντας ως ορμητήριο τη σοφίτα της, οι στρατιώτες καταστρώνουν το σχέδιο εισβολής στο κάστρο όπου βρίσκεται ο πύργος ελέγχου, όμως γρήγορα θα αντιληφθούν ότι στα υπόγειά του, οι Ναζί πραγματοποιούν τρομακτικά πειράματα σε ανθρώπους και δεν πρέπει επ' ουδενί τα τους επιτρέψουν να τα ολοκληρώσουν.
DjakeirFeb 18, 2019
Overlord does take two overdone genres of war and "zombies" and manages to harmonise the two to make a new and refreshing take on what a B movie can be. I do think it is a B movie because its not trying to create ripples in the industry butOverlord does take two overdone genres of war and "zombies" and manages to harmonise the two to make a new and refreshing take on what a B movie can be. I do think it is a B movie because its not trying to create ripples in the industry but rather its purpose is just to offer a distraction and somewhat entertainment for 2 hours. The positives of this film include the setting as it replicates previously successful war time movies. The element of history with references to momentous battles in the war and also the nazi experimentation and torture were obviously prominent and provide some weight to the on screen occurences. There is some suspense and scares that whilst aren't unpredicatble are well done. However, I did expect and want more suspense from this film. The idea of being in enemy territory with zombies that you don't know off could have added an eeriness and scenes to make you more uncomfortable. I appreciate that the filmmakers probably wanted to stay away from traditional zombie/horror movie cliches such as seeing something move in the background but I do have the opinion that those movie cliches are better at achieving suspense and unease than over-the-top gore which this movie unapologetically does. The gore was necessary, I guess, but it could have been more consistent. Some scenes, which were the ones that featured heavily in the advertisements, had a lot of effort put into them whilst others seemed lazy and rushed. The acting was satisfactory but could be better and not monotone and the movie does not have a lasting impression or impact after it ends but I don't feel time was wasted here. Expand
deepblue2107Oct 6, 2019
Der Film ist kurzweilig. gut inszeniert. zieht sich gegen Ende etwas in die Länge.
GAN1904Apr 29, 2019
Achei dinâmico no inicio, porém a falta de evolução de personagem me tirou um pouco da atenção no filme. Mas ele me divertiu até o final (Recomendo).
DiptanshuApr 11, 2020
The tone of this movie is un-matchable!every second was thrilling edge of the seat great music,great screenplay amazing and chilling action!literally ending was damn awesome to watch the fight the tension everything was literally nail bitingThe tone of this movie is un-matchable!every second was thrilling edge of the seat great music,great screenplay amazing and chilling action!literally ending was damn awesome to watch the fight the tension everything was literally nail biting literally u will get into atmosphere of movie right after the jump from plane at start from then on whole movie was insane and thrilling!An insanely amazing Movie. Expand
hnestlyontheslyOct 12, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overlord is not interested in soaring monologues or patronizing speeches. There’s no peremptory reminders of particular the evils of the Nazis. Overlord is more interested in small moments of heroism and the banality of evil: the calm with which the officers hurl paratroopers out of a burning plane, the frustration of our protagonist during the torture scene, in which he is not successful in convincing the others to behave nobler, the disobeyed order.

When Overlord does moralize, it is through visuals. The monstrosity of human experimentation and the monsters it creates are gruesome visual metaphors for the Nazi’s moral depravity. The only time that there are moral conversations among our motley crew, those conversations remain unresolved at best. Our protagonist’s discomfort with the torture and the way in which the final boss scene requires both sides to use the evil serum does a nice job of showing an uncomfortable kind of equivalence. Our noble sacrifice assures protagonist, “Even our side shouldn’t have this kind of power.”

As an period action film, Overlord does a good job of spreading the wealth among a diverse cast, but as a WW2 film it’s a little thin in the way of settings or historical context. Sometimes that makes it feel like successful magical realism and at other times it feels like a cheap escape room set, all attics and bunkers and dark sewers. I don’t know what could have been done differently, because the spare sets are kind of the point for a film that goes out of its way to peal away the veneer of glory from war, but the overall effect is a film that feels not quite realized.
rpklebanNov 4, 2019
One can suspend disbelief as far as zombie Nazi soldiers are concerned but it's harder to suspend disbelief to the effect that not only are black soldiers in combat with white soldiers on D-Day (I believe they were relegated to non-combatOne can suspend disbelief as far as zombie Nazi soldiers are concerned but it's harder to suspend disbelief to the effect that not only are black soldiers in combat with white soldiers on D-Day (I believe they were relegated to non-combat labor roles) but that white soldiers are under a Black NCO! Um, also didn't the airborne troops go in at night before the beach landings? Sloppy, contempt for the intelligence of the audience, more or less bs. Expand