Bleecker Street Media | Release Date: December 28, 2016
7.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 190 Ratings
Watch Now
DirigiblePulpFeb 24, 2017
The beauty in the routine of everyday life. The most Japanese American movie ever made. Paterson is shaped like a poem, with its repeating structure of slight everyday variation, and suggests that, maybe, if we stopped to think about it onceThe beauty in the routine of everyday life. The most Japanese American movie ever made. Paterson is shaped like a poem, with its repeating structure of slight everyday variation, and suggests that, maybe, if we stopped to think about it once in a while, we could see the beauty in most things. Everything isn't poetry until we stop to see it as such, to think about it as such, to express it as such.

This is the most pleasant of films, filled with likable characters and pleasing conversation. You don't really want it to end, much like life, and it's not always the most thrilling -- except when it is, sometimes at the most inopportune of times -- much like life. Paterson and Laura have a perfectly dichotomous relationship -- representing the need for balance, for helping to see the world from a different point of view -- with Driver and Farahani having nice chemistry.

Paterson doesn't care if his (or its) poetry is any good. What matters is the strive for it and the need for it. Poetry doesn't have to be elitist, dense, high-brow, etc. It can be what you make of it. Maybe that's too simplistic, but this is just the one point of view, of many.
November8Jan 2, 2017
What can I say about this movie? Jim Jarmusch created a masterpiece. Honestly I was shocked about how good it was. One quote describes this movie so well. Beauty lies in simplicity.
TVJerryFeb 7, 2017
Adam Driver plays the titular character, a bus driver who lives in the NJ city of the same name. We watch his daily routine: he gets up, drives his bus (and pens his poetry), spends the evening with his devoted wife, walks the dog and dropsAdam Driver plays the titular character, a bus driver who lives in the NJ city of the same name. We watch his daily routine: he gets up, drives his bus (and pens his poetry), spends the evening with his devoted wife, walks the dog and drops by a local bar for a beer. This is a low-key character study from deadpan director Jim Jarmusch. While it's always interesting, almost nothing happens…just observations of his life and love. (The dog provides some delightful lighter moments.) Driver's soulful eyes dominate his sensitive portrayal and the final scenes are truly moving. Jarmusch's quiet observations and poetic montages combined with quietly compelling situations create a sweetly affecting cinematic poem. Expand
SpangleFeb 25, 2017
A slice of life film, Paterson depicts one week (Monday to Sunday) in the life of Paterson (Adam Driver) who lives in Paterson, New Jersey with his girlfriend Laura (Golshifteh Farahani), his dog Marvin, works as a bus driver for the city,A slice of life film, Paterson depicts one week (Monday to Sunday) in the life of Paterson (Adam Driver) who lives in Paterson, New Jersey with his girlfriend Laura (Golshifteh Farahani), his dog Marvin, works as a bus driver for the city, and goes to a bar run by Doc (Barry Shabaka Henley). Aside from the weekend, his days are relatively the same. He wakes up, gets breakfast, goes to work, has a conversation with a fellow employee who's life is in shambles, he drives, he goes home, he has dinner, he walks Marvin, he goes to the bar, and then repeat. Yet, much like life, things change every time. To the untrained eye, particularly when it is your own eye, life barely changes from day-to-day. Capturing this beauty and showing how it changes, Paterson is a simple and down-to-earth film that plays like a poem about life and all of its odd idiosyncrasies.

Paterson is, above all, a film about people. That is the biggest change from the day-to-day. Every morning, Paterson wakes up next to Laura. Every morning, their sleeping position is different. Every morning, he eats breakfast. Every morning, he is eating something different, sitting somewhere new, or the dog is somewhere new. Every morning, he goes to work. Every day, he encounters new people, new sights in the city, new conversations, and new incidents. Every day, he goes home. Every day, Laura made something new for dinner, painted something, or purchased something new. Every day, he walks to the bar with Melvin. Every day, he sees somebody new or has a conversation with a stranger. Every day, he goes to the bar. Every day, he sees new people who are new or familiar faces to him and the conversations or situations are different. Though, on the surface, Paterson is a film about seven days that just repeat themselves like Groundhog Day, each day is vibrantly different. It is a film that celebrates the mundane nature of life, but also the subtle changes that make each day feel new. It is not merely a world defined by the fact that the sun rises every morning and sets every evening. The times of the sunrise and sunset even change each day, symbolic of the slight and practically unnoticeable change of each day. We have our routines, especially Melvin, but things will not always go to plan and things will often change from the day-to-day. Jarmusch's picture is tribute to that and a simple and structurally unique poem to that simplicity.

Beautifully acted by Adam Driver, the role is incredibly reserved as he plays the quite and meditative Paterson. Constantly writing in his secret notebook of poems, he writes about simple things like a box of matches. He finds the poetry in life and pens poems based upon that simple beauty. Largely not emotive, he is a man that simply goes through life and likes what he likes and what he likes most is poetry. Yet, his reserved nature even applies to his love. He does not read his poems to his girlfriend, he does identify himself as an aspiring poet to people he meets, and he does not want to share his poems with the world. Writing the poems is enough for him, nothing more and nothing less. He is content with his life in Paterson, driving a bus, living with his girlfriend, and going to the bar. His poetry, as it stands, is all he wants it to be. Every inch of his life, even his girlfriend and her obsession with black-and-white, is what he wants it to be. His aspirations are to wake up as himself the next day and to do what he likes, even if it does not conform with the aspirations and dreams of society.

Yet, what sets Paterson apart is its complete lack of cinematic aspirations. In many ways, Jarmusch's film is like Paterson himself. As Laura pushes him to release his poems, he half-heartedly promises to make copies of the poems. Whenever the audience thinks the film is setting up something via foreshadowing or about to reach a scene of unspeakable tension, the film refuses. With a street tough warning Paterson about how Melvin might get dog jacked, Paterson talking to an aspiring rapper who seems oddly intrigued by the dog, Everett (William Jackson Harper) bringing a gun to the bar, and Paterson's bus breaking down, it feels like the film is constantly foreshadowing or introducing palpable drama. The most common fear is regarding the dog and that fear could be felt in the theater. Left outside the bar as Paterson drinks and pals around, we are constantly left with the belief that Melvin will be stolen. But, inevitably, the screen fades to black and he begins the next day next to Laura in bed. There is even a scene where the door is open and Melvin runs out, but it is shown to be merely part of his routine as he immediately scampers back in. Jarmusch even openly mocks his audience in regards to the bus incident. With it breaking down due to an electical problem, passengers immediately ask if it will blow up. The film seems to play into this by having Paterson tell everybody to stay a good distance away from the bus.
Muskrat147Jan 7, 2017
Rating - 9.3/10

A seemingly simple premise surrounding a complex story of human emotion and feeling, Paterson harnesses Jim Jarmusch's incredible vision and delivers top notch direction and an amazing performance from Adam Driver.
Aldemir_LMar 12, 2017
Beautiful movie, that shows us that the best things in life are free. It is also a very Zen movie, and that is why a Japanese character appears at the end. I want to thank the director and the producers for this gift to humanity.
KaptenVideoJan 23, 2017
Paterson is the name of the city where the main character (Adam Driver) lives, and also his name. He is a man of constant simple routine: works as a bus driver, writes poetry to his secret note book, goes home to his beloved wife, eats dinnerPaterson is the name of the city where the main character (Adam Driver) lives, and also his name. He is a man of constant simple routine: works as a bus driver, writes poetry to his secret note book, goes home to his beloved wife, eats dinner with her, takes her dog for a walk and goes to have a beer at the same bar every night. That’s it.

The legendary writer-director Jim Jarmusch only releases a new movie after every 2-4 years but when it happens, it’s always worth the wait. Yes, his unique style of storytelling is boring and frankly incomprehensible to those equating cinema – especially American – with quick thrills. But if you happen to be able to stay on the same page with him, you will be happy to spend two hours watching how seemingly nothing or little happens story-wise.

Jarmusch is all about details and how little things make bigger things meaningful – both in life and on screen. One can’t just watch his movie, it would probably become boring long before the end. You need this specific meditative mood, be ready to delve into what’s presented and forget the real time in your real world. Jarmusch’s stories are slooooooow, they are not so much about specific events and dialogue than the lead characters’ state of mind or chosen way of being, which is often illustrated by recurring events and details. In this context, some of his projects are „easier“, such as „Paterson“, and some one you wouldn’t really imagine yourself watching twice, even if you liked it, such as 2009’s „The Limits of Control“.

Having called „Paterson“ one of Jarmusch’s „easier“ movies doesn’t mean that it’s mainstream-friendly. It’s still very much a slow, meditative experience where little happens, basically the main event is shown multiple times with little variations, there’s not much dialogue or many different characters. Also, I did not symphatize with Paterson’s unconditional admiration for her wife. And I loved the movie! Goes to my personal „best of 2016“ list for sure.

So, how did Jarmusch take a story about almost nothing and make it one of the best-reviewed American movies of last year? Like stated above, the god is in the details. Jarmusch’s style of presenting everything – creating mise en scène to put it in technical terms – is so captivating, efficient and powerful that I can’t couldn’t help but watch with interest from the very first seconds. Every little thing can be interesting or, for example, funny, just because how Jarmusch has decided to show it. And nothing on screen is meaningless or trivial. He is not the only famous American director with a penchant of concentrating on fascinating details instead of extensive story and dialogue – Wes Anderson is pretty popular, too – but he sure is one of the great masters of it. And somehow it works for creating and maintaining suspense through long two hour movie (OK, for this, the music is used efficiently too). If you like „Paterson“, you like it just because how it feels. It’s not flashy in any way, and there are no big „Oscar moments“. The result is very much like life itself: it has a deeper spiritual message but one that is not carried to you on a silver platter. If you choose not to uncover or recognize it, you will not get it. And there’s nothing wrong with not getting it either. You get it when you’re ready. If not, then you’re not ready, and hearing about it wouldn’t help you. (The hint is in the beginning of this review, by the way.)

The actors are part of the puzzle, not meant to stand out specifically. But the performances are good and Adam Driver as Paterson is a rising star for sure. I love him from HBO’s „Girls“ already and am happy to see him now having leading roles in movies also. He’s also Kylo in the new „Star Wars“ trilogy if somebody cares about that.
netflicJan 22, 2017
"Paterson" is the latest film by Jim Jarmusch, know for movies like "Broken Flowers", "Night on Earth" and many others.
He wrote and directed this movie. This is a poem of a film. Nothing much happens here, but creators of the movie manage to notice beauty in ordinary things around us. Similar to a snap of nature that is put into appropriate framing can become a piece of art.
This movie is not for everybody. Those craving for action should skip it. Even for me it was a bit too long and somewhat pointless. For the most part though I enjoyed it's quiet humor, attention to details and beauty of everyday life of unremarkable folks.
moviemitch96Feb 12, 2017
Surprisingly, for such a small and quiet little film, it turned out to be rather interesting for the most part. Adam Driver's equally subdued performance marks yet another worthwhile performance of his and the film's themes of love, poetry,Surprisingly, for such a small and quiet little film, it turned out to be rather interesting for the most part. Adam Driver's equally subdued performance marks yet another worthwhile performance of his and the film's themes of love, poetry, etc. are interesting enough. However, I was really quite surprised at the lack of conflict in the film. Too often it seemed a little too simple and straightforward both story-wise and for the characters. Overall, despite its over-simplicity and quiet nature, it's still a film that made me ponder and think a bit and Driver makes fine work of it as well. Expand
badgerryan19May 19, 2017
What a fantastic original film! I absolutely loved this movie. Adam Driver gives his best performance by far. The story of just the everyday man living out his daily life with poetry felt oddly refreshing. The movie was extremely entertainingWhat a fantastic original film! I absolutely loved this movie. Adam Driver gives his best performance by far. The story of just the everyday man living out his daily life with poetry felt oddly refreshing. The movie was extremely entertaining and I implore people to see it. I am also extremely disappointed that this movie got no love at the Oscars. Such a shame Expand
robjJun 29, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw this movie with friends who thought it was a jolly jape about a bus-driver tootling around New Jersey. For me it was a very disturbing film about a war veteran and his partner struggling to make it from one day to the next. "I don't like you, Marvin." made me think "Christ, he's going to kill the dog!". Expand
KeithDowFeb 1, 2017
Jim Jarmusch's 'Paterson' is a cerebral examination of the contemplative man. The story has a slow and deliberate pace, much like the bus driven by Adam Driver's character as he watches the world unfold before him, using what he sees andJim Jarmusch's 'Paterson' is a cerebral examination of the contemplative man. The story has a slow and deliberate pace, much like the bus driven by Adam Driver's character as he watches the world unfold before him, using what he sees and hears and feels as inspiration for the poems he writes in his coveted notebook.

It's a role that is probably the closest we'll see to the real Adam Driver, representing the continuation of a remarkable streak of films that are among the best being produced by Hollywood today.

There are times in the movie when one desires a greater evolution of the characters, or settings, or plot, but that feeling runs against the grain of the film itself. The point is that life is repetitive, and the only way to get better at it is through consistency and persistence.
treestandJan 14, 2017
A masterful film by Jim Jarmusch. Paterson captures the feeling of actively discovering beauty that is hidden within our daily routines. Great writing, structure, and performances throughout.
MattBrady99Dec 31, 2016
"Some call it rain"

"Some call it rain"

Paterson is one of the most relatable, sweet, and charming movies I've seen this year. While the story is simply and straight forward on paper, but the final result is quite unique. Before seeing the movie, I've heard nothing but great things about this movie, even at Cannes it got excellent feedback. And boy, it didn't disappoint.

Adam Driver once again knocks it out of the park in this movie. By giving a very quite and kindhearted performance that's quiet something. He's in everything recently and I'm glad an actor at he's range is getting the work he deserves.

I would view this movie as kind of a character study. For example: Paterson main interest is poetry, as it is he's escapism, because he lives a simply life and usually dose the same routine everyday. He's a talented man that's stuck in a dull life. There's many times in the movie where he will be sitting at a bar (alone) and he will be watching other people and you can clearly see there's something going on in their lives. Or his friends would come up to him and talk about their day, which has a lot going compared to him. It brilliantly captures loneliness and the necessity of the main character. Even through he is married and has friends, he still feels isolated.

Jim Jarmusch wrote and directed this movie so brilliantly that I can't imagine any other director doing this. What's so interesting about Jarmusch direction is that he focus more on mood and character development than anything else. And that's why I felt the main character isolation and futility. The strongest part of "Paterson" (putting aside the acting) is Jarmusch screenplay, as the film is heavy dialogue. The poetry in the movie is so well written and wasn't terribly force like other movies when trying to be poetic. Excellent work Jim Jarmusch. Haven't seen his other work yet, but will do soon day.

Overall rating: "Paterson" is pure poetry in the most wonder way. I must admit, it left a big dumb smile on my face after it was over. The movie might be slow for some people and I can understand that, but there's something in this movie that I think everyone can appreciate.
Brent_MarchantJan 21, 2017
A quiet, deceptively modest offering about a bus-driving poet that, while initially seemingly lost and unfocused, grows on viewers as time passes, presenting a richly layered, deftly nuanced look at life, what's in it and how we respond toA quiet, deceptively modest offering about a bus-driving poet that, while initially seemingly lost and unfocused, grows on viewers as time passes, presenting a richly layered, deftly nuanced look at life, what's in it and how we respond to it. While the pacing could stand to move along better in a few spots, and while some of the ironically protracted minimalist dialogue could have used some judicious trimming, the film nevertheless delights in its observations about existence through the medium of poetry, revealing how life itself can be seen as poetic in its own way. Don't expect a lot of action or high drama in this one; rather, let it wash over you, and savor the simplicity that many of us have lost the ability to appreciate. Expand
whostosayFeb 3, 2017
A quiet and meditative, tonal love poem celebrating the life of a bus driver who writes poems Time, observation and reflectance - and some of the most endearing, humanistic, caring and protective characters you're ever likely to encounter.
rongnan1Feb 8, 2017
Although it's the best film of the year, and is itself a poem, there are problems. First, W.C.WILLIAMS WAS NOT FROM PATERSON, HE WAS BORN AND LIVED ALMOST ALL HIS LIFE IN RUTHERFORD! Second, how can a film that is a paean to the city notAlthough it's the best film of the year, and is itself a poem, there are problems. First, W.C.WILLIAMS WAS NOT FROM PATERSON, HE WAS BORN AND LIVED ALMOST ALL HIS LIFE IN RUTHERFORD! Second, how can a film that is a paean to the city not mention ALLEN GINSBERG? But all in all, it's a great film. But why don't they ever pet the dog?? Love those shots of the fabulous Great Falls! Expand
nutterjrDec 23, 2017
Poetry in motion (pictures).
Poetry in motion (pictures).
There are lyrical moments all around us that simply require us to take the time to soak them in and be engulfed in their spellbinding beauty. This beauty can be found in everywhere and in everyone. Sometimes a blank page offers the most opportunity.
LeZeeOct 22, 2017
A week with a bus driver, a part time poet.

A week with a bus driver, a part time poet.

The time Jim Jarmusch has struck back. He does not make films often, but those he makes are not easily forgettable. I don't think people hate his films, especially the grown ups. They know how hard the real life is and contents this filmmaker use for his flicks aren't much different. But the thing is, in his style, adding a slight fun, romantic, poetic, all together works so well. I still remember how I become his fan after watching 'Stranger Than Paradise'.

As usual, he wrote the story for this film. Even if he'd to borrow from another source, the screenplay is generally his. For this film, it was original & that's what worked out awesomely. But he had to borrow some poems from his favourite poet, Ron Padgett. A great team work, because when their work came together, the film became a masterpiece. It was nothing less than any literature, for sure. Definitely this film should turn into a book. The readers deserve their own imagination of this tale.

This is the story of a man's life in a week's time. Starts from Monday and ends on next Monday. So, his name's Paterson, a bus driver from the city of Paterson. A happily married man, & love his profession. In the meantime, he's a poet. He has kept a book where he writes his poems, especially during his lunch time, even in the small breaks when he gets. His mind's always filled with thoughts. Chanting words, verses.

His inspirations are the places he goes through his bus & the strangers who ride in his bus. Their each others conversation about their lives & experiences is his motivation. His wife is an interesting character too. Sadly, she wasn't focused as much as he was. Though there're enough scenes to enjoy the role. But I think she deserves her solo film, from another angle, about her life, her hobby which her husband backs.

It's a simple, normal life. Without much trouble, a peaceful life the most people would ask for. The film isn't everything about him. But he's the centre of the story. When other, one time characters enter the screen. It's because of his presence around them. Hence some interesting facts revealed. Just like our life when we ride a public transport where we come in to contact with many passengers coming & going in different stops. But all the above, what they talk, which we, everybody in the bus listen without hesitation. Paterson is a person who learns every day out of that.

❝Poetry in translation is like taking a shower with a raincoat on.❞

His other activity's walking his dog out at every night. It's an opportunity for him to mix with some friends at the pub he had made with frequent visits. The place which has its own story as the film progresses. So all these stuffs keeps repeating every day like what we call a mechanical life. But Paterson is neither enjoying it nor depressed over. He usually does best out of the given time & place. The difference is, not every day're same. Even a slight change in order of activity brings a new thing in. His wife insists him to publish his works. But the narration strikes with an unexpected twist before the end.

I have said many times when I liked the films I've watched that they are so poetic. But it's very rare to find a film from top to bottom being very poetic. Recently I saw one, in fact, two from Japan known as 'Little Forest' duology. And now this one. Particularly if you love poetry or if you're yourself a poet, then this is a must see. Surely you would love it. As well as a good film to gift to any such person you know in your life. Believe me, this film is like a wine bottle. As it gets older, it'll turn the best. I've already changed my stance twice & rated better every time. I consider it is a bit low rated right now. But only time will answer to that.

For me, it is the director's top 3 films. I have seen Adam Driver in many films, he's not considered a solo lead actor, because of marketing purpose. But he's really good which proved in this flick. So it is his best performance I have seen so far. He really took the driving classes to learn drive the bus to perfect his character. That's the dedication the creator of the film expects from his cast. How much I loved it means, I'm eager for a sequel, despite knowing this kind of films are one-off. Otherwise, I'll be happy if the director and him join the hands once more time for a new project.

Very slow moving tale. But not a boring film. If I had watched it when I was a teenager, I don't think I would have felt similarly. From middle aged people to the older ones, they are the target audience. In order to see and feel what this film reveals, one must have experience in real life. Hence, not all the youngsters, particularly the teenagers would thumb up. In my world, this kind of films is the Oscar worthy. I would have surely nominated the film, as well as the director and the lead actor. So by now you would have learnt what my final word could be. Recommended!

LynApr 16, 2017
Scanning the reviews of "Paterson," I felt like I was the only person who watched it with growing dread ... with images of "The Shining," "The Machinist," "Fight Club" and other films that led to alternative-reality craziness. Whew! TheScanning the reviews of "Paterson," I felt like I was the only person who watched it with growing dread ... with images of "The Shining," "The Machinist," "Fight Club" and other films that led to alternative-reality craziness. Whew! The superb Adam Driver isn't crazy here. Just deeply immersed in a poetic internal life that he allows to surface via a few human contacts and mostly, in his extraordinarily expressive face. Mysteries linger. WTH do all the twins mean??? But even if you're not a fan of the type of poetry featured, the film is thought-provoking and haunting. Expand
kathytreeceJun 10, 2017
A peaceful movie, with a loving couple. Director did a fine job of portraying the writing of poetry. Even though the main action in this movie is writing poetry, the movie kept me interested.
HyapeDec 21, 2017
A masterpiece. See, feel, think... Slow and calm journey in deep secters of your soul.
amheretojudgeJan 15, 2018
they're just words.. Paterson

they're just words.. Paterson

A crooked house letter box is one of the finest character along with a rebellious dog and a secret book. Paterson easily depicts the expressions and metaphors that were meant to explain the depth of the characters as it was written on paper; the action speaks louder here than the words and with the help of Adam's stellar performance, it touches the chord that its poem does too.
LucasTSSep 23, 2019
Summary: Paterson (Adam Driver) is a bus driver in the city of Paterson, New Jersey – they share the name. Every day, Paterson adheres to a simple routine: he drives his daily route, observing the city as it drifts across his windshield andSummary: Paterson (Adam Driver) is a bus driver in the city of Paterson, New Jersey – they share the name. Every day, Paterson adheres to a simple routine: he drives his daily route, observing the city as it drifts across his windshield and overhearing fragments of conversation swirling around him; he writes poetry into a notebook; he walks his dog;… Expand Expand