Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: March 2, 2018
5.4
Mixed or average reviews based on 308 Ratings
Watch Now
Rebecca31Mar 8, 2018
Jennifer Lawrence is all grown up, graduated from the Hunger Games and is now attending Sparrow School. Seducing men and getting everyone killed in the process.

Dominika Egorova (Jennifer Lawrence) is a witness to a crime she shouldn't have

Dominika Egorova (Jennifer Lawrence) is a witness to a crime she shouldn't have seen, so her only option is to become a Sparrow. A secret Russian intelligence service who specialise in training young agents to use their bodies as weapons. Not the fighty action James Bond kind of way but more in the seductive and manipulative kind of way. They can also pick locks so as far as the training goes that's about it. Dominika finishes Sparrow school as perhaps the most deadly of all the sparrows. Capable of using her mind and body as a weapon, her mission now is to get information from American CIA agent Joel Edgerton. The plot gives you all the information you need to figure out what exactly is going to happen before it happens. The twists and turns don't offer much in the way of surprises and at 2 hours and 20 minutes you can bet there's a lot of them. What it does offer is a good enough espionage movie packed full of violence and torture to peak your interest. At the very least it got my attention, so although the story is dragged out for much too long it manages to pull itself together into an "only gonna watch it once" popcorn flick. Much darker than I expected which is enough to separate it from the usual generic stuff. This is probably the best performance from Jennifer Lawrence in a while, not enough to get the bad taste left behind by Mother! but it's a start. Recommended if you've seen all the Oscar movies and looking for something a little different.
temptershellMay 13, 2018
Given the large marketing of this production, only after a few months I had the opportunity to see the latest film from Jennifer Lawrence. This is not a production that could be a super hit, but it's not a bad movie either. A spy intrigue andGiven the large marketing of this production, only after a few months I had the opportunity to see the latest film from Jennifer Lawrence. This is not a production that could be a super hit, but it's not a bad movie either. A spy intrigue and boring scenario allows me to rate this film as an average movie with a good cast. Expand
MattBrady99Dec 29, 2018
'Red Sparrow' is a massive dud not as a spy movie, but as a thriller. The theme of psychological warfare could've been riveting with a better director, because I was struggling to find any engagement in the story. The cinematography and'Red Sparrow' is a massive dud not as a spy movie, but as a thriller. The theme of psychological warfare could've been riveting with a better director, because I was struggling to find any engagement in the story. The cinematography and performances is the only merit in the movie.

I mean, it's worth checking out to watch every actor screw up their Russian accents, especially Jeremy Irons.
DavidWasHereSep 15, 2018
Red Sparrow is a lot like last year's Atomic Blonde. Both films are about femme fatales, both films take place largely in Russia, both films have twist and turns in their spy thrillers, both films use some bold colors (Atomic Blonde blue, RedRed Sparrow is a lot like last year's Atomic Blonde. Both films are about femme fatales, both films take place largely in Russia, both films have twist and turns in their spy thrillers, both films use some bold colors (Atomic Blonde blue, Red Sparrow red), and both films are by the number spy thrillers that are not interesting. The only different is that Atomic Blonde was at least fun and did not have really uncomfortable undertones like Red Sparrow does!

One thing that I can absolutely give Red Sparrow credit is that it is a technical well made spy thriller. Francis Lawrence, most known for directing three of the four Hunger Games films, as well as I am Legend, isn't exactly an interesting or stylish director, has definitely stepped up his game, making a visually striking film with some great use of red color hues. I won't call this movie stylized really and there's not a lot of subtly and substance to really analyze, but there is certainly a lot of interesting shots that does feel pretty cool. The score is also pretty great too, being done by James Newton Howard. It's largely classical inspired and even using classical pieces, that both fit the film and adds a bit of tension and even beauty to what is going on. And that's about it for the positives really.

I mean the acting is alright really, but these characters are so bland and by the numbers they just feel like carbon copies of characters you've already seen before in spy thrillers. This is very much true for Jennifer Lawrence's character, Dominika or as she is referred to "Sparrow." J-Law has proven to be a great actress, and she goes as far as she can with her role, even with her fake Russian accent, but her character is so flat that her natural charisma does not elevate her role as far as we really want. Add to some stale chemistry with Joel Edgerton, who is shockingly bad in this film, and any sex appeal from this movie is gone down the drain.

Speaking of bland, this story is just so dull! It's nothing you have not seen before, the plot is convoluted and hard to follow at times, and it's just so long and the film drags! Like I was so bored by this dull movie. It's not a constant fun, action-packed spy film and more in the vein of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, a spy film more about wit and intrigue instead of being action oriented, which I can respect. But like I have to care about what I am seeing, which I do not! It's just so uninteresting.

And not to mention really uncomfortable! Like this movie is super graphic with it's violence and sexual imagery. Like there is a scene in the film that basically was going to full blown rape, I am not kidding. This is to add to some feminist subtext with the film, but with how needlessly graphic the film gets, and really analyzing this movie in a feminist critique it is incredibly shallow. Sparrow doesn't do much work on her own as she basically has to be told what to do, including having a man forced upon her! Yuck! I can somewhat respect this movie if it was at all handled the touchy subject respectfully, or just full blown exploitative and unapologetic, but it never goes that extra step and just feels like a tepid mix of Tinker Tailor and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Maybe the book did it better but I have no interest in picking up the source material after watching this.

I can't hate this film too much because it is a well shot movie and the score is good, but it's just a long, boring, and uncomfortable slog to sit through. It's too boring for a spy film, too shallow for a feminist movie, and too scummy for J-Law fans. Just skip it altogether!
BroyaxDec 6, 2018
Un film d'espionnage bien léché qui jouit d'une belle réalisation ; on sent également un souci de réalisme dans ces tours de passe-passe entre les services russes et américains via leurs agents respectifs... des tours qui laissent un peuUn film d'espionnage bien léché qui jouit d'une belle réalisation ; on sent également un souci de réalisme dans ces tours de passe-passe entre les services russes et américains via leurs agents respectifs... des tours qui laissent un peu dubitatif, voire incrédule pour tout dire. Non seulement au niveau de nombreux détails mais aussi du scénario en lui-même. En conséquence, on a bien du mal à croire à tout ce merdier, même avec toute l'imagination du monde.

Mais c'est tout de même bien présenté, parfois assez cruel et on ne s'ennuie jamais malgré la longueur bien pesée du métrage et il est bien agréable de retrouver Jeremy Irons ou Charlotte Rampling, toujours impressionants de talent et d'aisance. Par contre, en ce qui concerne l'actrice principale, cette Jennifer quelque chose... ça ne va pas du tout. Elle joue mal, tellement mal qu'elle fait de la peine... franchement mais qu'est-ce qu'elle fout là ?

On me dira qu'elle donne de sa personne (pour une fois) mais ça ne change pas vraiment la donne. Elle a un visage bizarre, on dirait une mongolienne ; et elle a un gros cul. Et des cuisses comme des jambons. Non franchement, c'est une jambonneuse bien fardée et maquillée mais certainement pas bien foutue. Et quel vide dans son regard de poisson mort !

Et puis tout de même, si le film semble réaliste, je ne suis pas sûr qu'il le soit vraiment, surtout lorsqu'on copie des documents confidentiels sur... des disquettes 3,5 (?!). Des putains de disquettes, vous êtes sûrs ? ça se passe pourtant de nos jours, toutes les BMW sont les derniers modèles... bah, on est peut-être sur Pluton finalement. Ou dans une réalité alternative.

Autre détail : à part utiliser son cul, on ne lui apprend pas les arts martiaux ? parce qu'en Russie, ils sont réputés pour ça (pas le cul, mais les arts martiaux militaires où tous les coups sont permis...). Mais bon, ce qui semble réaliste, car bien présenté et bien emballé, n'est forcément très réaliste finalement.

On ressort de ce film avec la sensation d'avoir été pris pour un dindon. Oui, un dindon de la farce. Non franchement, arrêtez vos conneries à Hollywood parce que le copain Poutine doit sûrement en rigoler encore...
DubeauMar 2, 2019
I couldn't finish the movie. The first 45 minutes are bearable, but after that it becomes painfully slow. The dialogues are just boring and there isn't enough tension for that kind of movie. I don't really blame the actors. It just wasn'tI couldn't finish the movie. The first 45 minutes are bearable, but after that it becomes painfully slow. The dialogues are just boring and there isn't enough tension for that kind of movie. I don't really blame the actors. It just wasn't appropriate for a movie. I give it 40%. Expand
JugmonkeyMar 13, 2018
Not very good. Disjointed. Sloppy. Gets better towards the end but ugh. I am a J Law fan but I have to say her accent was terrible. Have a Russian ex and have spent time there, and it's bad. Some good moments, some laughable moments thoughNot very good. Disjointed. Sloppy. Gets better towards the end but ugh. I am a J Law fan but I have to say her accent was terrible. Have a Russian ex and have spent time there, and it's bad. Some good moments, some laughable moments though unintentional I'm sure. Couldn't wait for it to be over. Expand
robbywarren93Mar 5, 2018
There's some solid performances and intense moments, but this is mostly just a messy, over-long, predictable, and over the top movie with very little to enjoy. I don't know was going through the screen-writers minds when they were writingThere's some solid performances and intense moments, but this is mostly just a messy, over-long, predictable, and over the top movie with very little to enjoy. I don't know was going through the screen-writers minds when they were writing this but they probably need some help... Expand
mrdr4gonMar 26, 2018
The first hour is full of shock value setpieces which feels blatantly exploitative for little to no real artistic reason but get past that rather slow first half and the story is a good slow burning spy drama. Nothing special but definitelyThe first hour is full of shock value setpieces which feels blatantly exploitative for little to no real artistic reason but get past that rather slow first half and the story is a good slow burning spy drama. Nothing special but definitely watchable. Expand
sfjcgMar 6, 2018
The movie was too violent and had too many horrific torture scenes. Parts of it were unbelievable. The main character brutally attacks two ballet dancers and later we find out she broke the dancer’s toe? I thought both dancers would haveThe movie was too violent and had too many horrific torture scenes. Parts of it were unbelievable. The main character brutally attacks two ballet dancers and later we find out she broke the dancer’s toe? I thought both dancers would have been dead after the beating. The main character is tortured and her head is whacked hard and yet she’s fine a day later? In real life she would have been dead. I didn’t really care about her after the first ten minutes because of her brutal attack on the ballet dancers. Expand
HuraxdaxMar 5, 2018
I get where the movie was going, but I don't consider the idea well executed. Everything was so cryptic that I eventually stopped caring who is helping who. I'm also disappointed in the cast, although I think their performances were mainlyI get where the movie was going, but I don't consider the idea well executed. Everything was so cryptic that I eventually stopped caring who is helping who. I'm also disappointed in the cast, although I think their performances were mainly worsened by the script and directing. Cringe-inducing, long sex scenes, gory torture scenes that make you wonder what the movie is trying to be: A classic spy thriller, Fifty Shades of Grey, some gory shocker? I don't know, It seems to be a mixture of all three where no part is really thought through. All in all, a pretty disappointing flick. Had hopes in the cast that were shattered by the horrid writing. 4 Points go to a few decent acting moments (in the not-cringy scenes), a good score and fairly decent cinematography and editing.

Oh and by the way: Is this what female empowerment in "me-too"-Hollywood looks like? The female protagonist seducing, having sex and getting raped on screen? Oh come on...
arielprimeMar 2, 2018
Red Sparrow, Directed by Francis Lawrence and starring the eccentric Jennifer Lawrence. This film wasn’t terrible, but it also wasn’t that great. The middle ground where this lies is an okay movie about a ballerina that becomes recruited toRed Sparrow, Directed by Francis Lawrence and starring the eccentric Jennifer Lawrence. This film wasn’t terrible, but it also wasn’t that great. The middle ground where this lies is an okay movie about a ballerina that becomes recruited to be a spy for the Russian government. Sounds pretty “meh” right? Yeah I thought so at first too. There was no style or flare to it at all either, there was just more focus on its character moments that were overdrawn to highlight some plot details that were missable. The film was marketed in a way that could be mistaken for a spy action thriller, but there was barely any of that too. The action that did happen was brutal and quick but really at times served as plot devices to move the characters’ story along for the sake of the film, and at a certain point for the sake of runtime, this **** was long.

Overall, Jennifer Lawrence doing a Russian accent for over 2 hours is pretty interesting, but the rest of it didn’t deliver like the music of the film thought it did. Great acting, great score, uneven story.

6/10. P.S. Go see Black Panther
mcindoe-jordanMar 4, 2018
Besides Jennifer Lawrence's boobs there is nothing special about this film.
tigawayneMar 5, 2018
Red Sparrow is a spy thriller that attempts to build tension in its narrative. However, the tension falls flat throughout most of the film. The slow pacing aiming for genuine tension is unsuccessful with little emotional or narrative payoffRed Sparrow is a spy thriller that attempts to build tension in its narrative. However, the tension falls flat throughout most of the film. The slow pacing aiming for genuine tension is unsuccessful with little emotional or narrative payoff and lack of thrill in this psychological thriller. Most of the character developments are thin and flawed, except for the main character Dominika, played by Jennifer Lawrence, who is given enough backstory to be invested in. However, Dominika’s character doesn't feel believable, as the development of her skills as a spy is only briefly explained and shown in the film, which makes it difficult to fully believe that she is a competent spy, which is also what the film is mainly about. The film does show solid cinematography and production design. It is also full of great acting performances, and very obvious dedication to the film by the actors are shown, especially in sexual scenes. The ending of the film is slightly more satisfying than the rest of the film as well. Nevertheless, the film is ultimately boring and bland, failing in creating the emotional weight and narrative coherence it needs.
JPKMar 3, 2018
This Was Maybe A Little "Too Intense"
Don't Get Me Wrong, There's A lot To Like About Red Sparrow Like The Visuals, Performances, And Action Scenes, But This Film Is NOT For The Faint Of Heart.
yosemiteMar 4, 2018
Any film with a naked Jennifer Lawrence automatically gets a five. The plot had potential but got muddled with heavily accented dialogues and a lack of consistency. The background scenes were overall dark and bleak and the violence had anAny film with a naked Jennifer Lawrence automatically gets a five. The plot had potential but got muddled with heavily accented dialogues and a lack of consistency. The background scenes were overall dark and bleak and the violence had an overkill aspect. As good as Jennifer always is, the violent scenes might have been better with a lesser known actress. I'd still see the movie but wouldn't have expected so much. Its o.k...... Expand
TVJerryMar 6, 2018
Jennifer Lawrence teams up again with her director from the "Hunger Games" series, but this time they're playing down the action and ramping up the intrigue. She plays a Russian ballerina who becomes a ramped-up spy. There are almost noJennifer Lawrence teams up again with her director from the "Hunger Games" series, but this time they're playing down the action and ramping up the intrigue. She plays a Russian ballerina who becomes a ramped-up spy. There are almost no moments of action and a few sadistic torture scenes, but most of the film relies on a complex web of seduction, maneuvering and deception. Lawrence brings a steely coldness to her character (and some ferocious bangs). She seldom smiles or even gets to enjoy her deceptions or victories. The intrigue usually keeps you guessing, but there are some plot points that strain credibility. If you're expecting kick-ass action like last year's ATOMIC BLONDE, you'll find this espionage thriller more somber and serious than exciting. Expand
JLuis_001Mar 22, 2018
The script lacks direction and therefore the suspense is null and that is a huge problem when we are talking about a thriller about spies and considering all the patriotic and moral ambiguity of all the people involved, very soon it no longerThe script lacks direction and therefore the suspense is null and that is a huge problem when we are talking about a thriller about spies and considering all the patriotic and moral ambiguity of all the people involved, very soon it no longer matters which side ended up taking the best part.

Jennifer Lawrence manages to act in a good way when needed but she practically spends the whole film with a cold and empty look that could be considered necessary because of the nature of her character but it ends up playing against her because her fate ceases to be relevant most of the time, especially in the final part.

Francis Lawrence tried to make a dark thriller for adults and I admit that he tried, but he really needed a better story and also he needed to step up his filmmaking skills to get a better rhythm to his narrative and especially to know where to cut because with 140 minutes, Red Sparrow feels incredibly excessive

It wasn't so bad but it will be an irrelevant movie in the career of everyone involved.
GinaKMar 5, 2018
Red Sparrow is a very difficult movie to pass judgement on for one big reason – it is much too long. It goes on and on and on and on until you want to scream “enough already” and beg for mercy. Jennifer Lawrence was very good, as was the restRed Sparrow is a very difficult movie to pass judgement on for one big reason – it is much too long. It goes on and on and on and on until you want to scream “enough already” and beg for mercy. Jennifer Lawrence was very good, as was the rest of the cast, which included interesting actors like Jeremy Irons, Charlotte Rampling, Ciaran Hinds, Joely Richardson, and Matthias Schoenaerts. I wouldn’t even say it was badly edited, but the film needed a firm hand to trim out at least 15 minutes and perhaps even a half hour. Expand
marcmyworksMay 9, 2018
Red Sparrow is one of those films that keeps going and going and going with no end in site. The bad Russian accents don't help either. The whole movie I sat there going, 'Everyone in Moscow speaks English?'
CineAutoctonoMar 10, 2018
"Red Sparrow" was a good movie, the story is wild and catchy although it was a bit boring, and Jennifer Lawrence made another good performance, no doubt another in the track record, maybe they did not adapt the story well but we have achieved"Red Sparrow" was a good movie, the story is wild and catchy although it was a bit boring, and Jennifer Lawrence made another good performance, no doubt another in the track record, maybe they did not adapt the story well but we have achieved a unique version. Expand
MetaflixMar 10, 2018
'Red Sparrow' is a familiar U.S.-Russian spy thriller based on the 2013 novel of the same name.

Jennifer Lawrence and Joel Edgerton both excel in their roles, with Lawrence playing a ballerina turned state sponsored seductress tasked with prying information out of CIA agent Edgerton. At this point, no amount of intensity or nuance is beyond their acting range, which should come as no surprise to anyone following their careers. The problem with 'Red Sparrow' lay in its plot, most notably in the complete lack of subtlety when unfurling certain plot points in an attempt to ramp up the drama. Perhaps it works better in the novel, where the actions of the spymasters are confined to the boundaries of one's own imagination. Regardless, a keen eye for editorial discretion is key. Case in point: the ending flirted with sheer brilliance, and audience members might've actually been able to appreciate it had they not been shell-shocked by a bizarre and completely nonsensical incestuous kiss leading up to the finale.
ViniciusBritoJul 27, 2018
A russian young girl that trained to be a ballet dancer wich was her purpose in life, which made her special at that time, but after a injury her carreer is over and impossibility she to dance again. Then in order to help she and her mom toA russian young girl that trained to be a ballet dancer wich was her purpose in life, which made her special at that time, but after a injury her carreer is over and impossibility she to dance again. Then in order to help she and her mom to have a decent life, she got a invitation to get in a school to become a sparrow by her uncle, that school trained her to be a sparrow, agents that work for someone in favor of get information with the sensuality, approaching of targets using her body. Based on a book and directed by Francis Lawrence.
The story of this movie goes in a slow rhythm, it does have a dark aspect and emotionless. I liked the tension that was in the story, and it made me believe that pretty much everyone was in dangerous, not exactly made care about them, but did me believe that anyone could go any time, by any stumbling. The core of the movie is very interesting, and the way that they explored it was very good, showing her training, and demonstrating how did she learn those things was very good. The big problem is that the movie tries to imply a confidence and assurance that really comes out of nowhere, things that happened to fast and didn't felt organic or natural, it felt rushed and even senseless, wich is curious considering that the movie have 150 minutes, that's a lot of time and still things felt out of palce, crucial things, a character that was supose to be rival with the other and just start to believe in the other out of nothing felt really wrong and took me out of the movie. The story goes in a way that during it a lot of things happens that doesn't make sense at all and feel dislocated, but at the very end it is explained and combined it does, wich i like. It does have some plot twists, and the movie kind of tried to make the viewer not to be sure if the character was in one side or other, wich i also liked.
The acting wasn't a high point in this movie, even considering that the film was indeed with a purpose of emotionless, but i really don't buy it in every moment. Jennifer Lawrence character was the perfect example of emotionless, she didn't had much faces in this movie other than that poker face, she could show fear in some moments, but normally, in moments that she should pass me a woman that is looking to care of someone, in her eyes or voice tones, she didn't delievery this other part, just seemed to be a wall. Joel Edgerton also didn't had much expressions, but i could buy him caring about other characters, and his devotion into a purpose, it didn't convinced me 100% but it wasn't bad. Matthias Schoenaerts was kind of the older relative, that always had advice, he was a little threatening and i believe that he did a good job. Charlotte Rampling, showed confidence and was certain about she was talking, i completely bought what she was talking, she did very well. Jeremy Irons doesn't have a lot of screen time, but the little he convinced me, he was cautious and it convinced me.
The cinematography of the movie don't talk much to us and isn't the most pretty neither, but is worked in some moments and helped to creat this emotionless scenario. There are some moments that the character are explaining what they are going to do and are already showing the thing happening, that was very nice. The soundtrack isn't memorable and doesn't call much attention neither.
The movie makes everybody talk english with a russian accent, sometimes that didn't worked out, it was like if they just forgot about it in some scenes. The movie also forgets some characters that they had. The movie have problems of continuity, it does have sequences that doesn't take nothing to nowhere, comes with some really uninteresting things, and that took me out of the movie sometimes as well. The character does not have layers, taking away one or two. There is the villain and there is the hero, and you needed to choose between them.
The movie also in some moments have a nice mystery, it does have some sequences that are really entertaining, it does have some nice twists and tense moments, it does have a nice editing. The intensity of what happens is really high, it is brutal, it can be gore or even make you want to turn your head in some moments, it does have some triggers that keeped me interested in it, and have a nice ending connecting things that happened before, even if some are a little forced.
This is a thriller of espionage that doesn't have much new, and have a bunch of flaws, but definely have some good things right there.
EricgriffinloveMar 25, 2018
With the cast giving all around good performances; and a intriguing premise- Red sparrow is watchable, but lacks direction, focus, and layers to a story that does not feel satisfying.
Voodoo123Jul 24, 2019
+ Beautiful 4k HDR presentation
+ Great cast
+ Excellent cinematography - Lacklustre screenplay - Characters/Story seem uncanny - Production misses opportunity to localise a russian cast here While Red Sparrow certainly held my attention, it
+ Beautiful 4k HDR presentation
+ Great cast
+ Excellent cinematography
- Lacklustre screenplay
- Characters/Story seem uncanny
- Production misses opportunity to localise a russian cast here

While Red Sparrow certainly held my attention, it never really commits to any one idea long enough to succeed in casting a true meaning to the events that unfold... In a lot of ways it felt like an episode of chuck if you took chuck away and just watched a dull spy game played too seriously. I honestly feel an all russian cast could've changed the authenticity of the characters, hearing those western actors faking the accent was just keanu reeves dracula level excruciating at times! Despite these flaws, it sure looks nice in 4k HDR!
miccaelMay 21, 2019
Really strange movie. I like that Jennifer Lawrence is not afraid to take roles like this but movie is just confusing for me. I saw the ending coming, has been foreshadowing for some time, some weird twists made no sense (the torture scene)Really strange movie. I like that Jennifer Lawrence is not afraid to take roles like this but movie is just confusing for me. I saw the ending coming, has been foreshadowing for some time, some weird twists made no sense (the torture scene) and overall, so much blood in it. Expand
MrScallopsJun 19, 2019
This violent and gritty spy thriller features a wonderful Jennifer Lawrence with a faulty Russian accent. The chemistry between her and co-star Taron Edgerton is almost non-existent. After a promising beginning the films starts losing steamThis violent and gritty spy thriller features a wonderful Jennifer Lawrence with a faulty Russian accent. The chemistry between her and co-star Taron Edgerton is almost non-existent. After a promising beginning the films starts losing steam in the middle part before picking up speed again for the end. Even though the story makes a good attempt at being dark and inventive it gets nothing done before the final twist. I did expect more from director Francis Lawrence, now it feels just generic and bland. Expand