Universal Pictures | Release Date: January 20, 2017
7.0
Generally favorable reviews based on 811 Ratings
Watch Now
PenguinManJan 20, 2017
Most of the negative reviews I see about this movie aren't about the movie itself; one guy was lacking sleep and blamed the movie for falling asleep during it and left a review about the movie while they clearly wouldn't have seen the movieMost of the negative reviews I see about this movie aren't about the movie itself; one guy was lacking sleep and blamed the movie for falling asleep during it and left a review about the movie while they clearly wouldn't have seen the movie if he was sleeping?. Only see this movie if you enjoy thrillers with that little bit of mystery. Everything about this movie is deep, and don't expect to be told everything. This is what I love about the movie. The ending, some people didn't like because it felt 'unfinished' but I suggest not thinking to much into it, because the ending (no spoilers) is meant to leave you thinking about it; not everything needs to be shown to you. I think they did a very good job with character development, and my god, James McAvoy played the different people very well, so well that you could tell he was someone else with a simple facial movement. Again, a negative reviewer complained about how they say he has 23 personalities, and they didn't show all of them. I dont think the point of the movie was to show all of them, I dont think the movie would have been as interesting if they had James play every single personality. They had the ones they needed, and who knows, maybe they filmed more personalities, but having to many characters, as we all know, can make a movie feel like a mess. I love the small cast. It really is a small cast, but it feels like there were so much more people because of how well James played the different characters. I really want to stress that this movie is meant to get you thinking, and not going to tell you everything. There is deeper meanings within the movie that made me and my girlfriend cry. Give this movie a chance before thinking about boycotting. It isn't a bad 'view' on people with this disorder. I think they gave a lot of respect to those with the disorder actually. Expand
19 of 33 users found this helpful1914
eagleeyevikingFeb 10, 2017
While Split is dotted by a few needless, cheap horror moments, the execution of it's interesting premise is generally outstanding largely due to director M. Night Shmalayan's skill for twisty narratives and James McAvoy's powerhouse centralWhile Split is dotted by a few needless, cheap horror moments, the execution of it's interesting premise is generally outstanding largely due to director M. Night Shmalayan's skill for twisty narratives and James McAvoy's powerhouse central performance. Expand
AkumaJackAug 5, 2017
Is very hard to write a review of split.
Is hard because the film is mediocre (Not bad or good in any sense). The plot is intriguing but shifts from a psychological horror to a supernatural one in a blink of an eye.
The characters are both
Is very hard to write a review of split.
The characters are both incredibly well developed (Kevin and Casey) and incredibly shallow (The two girls nobody gave a **** about).
What makes it good? James McAvoy was outstanding, without him the film would be a 5/6 out of ten at its best. But McAvoy delivers one of the best acting performances i've seen in the last years. Just look at him. His facial mimics, body language, everything is great. And this while managing to give each of the various personality a well defined nature.

To summarize this film:
The film is mediocre but the acting is so good is worth seeing it. (Both McAvoy and Taylor-Joy performances)
andarial6670Mar 23, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The one scene where Anya Taylor Joy's boobs jiggled as she ran was phenomenal. McAvoy is what you would expect, and performs his role superbly. Storyline is solid, but not incredible. This isn't the kind of movie you save onto your harddrive because it's good enough to keep. The 'plot twist' at the end came out of nowhere and confused most people, to my knowledge. A watchable movie, but not one you would watch a second time. Expand
Compi24Jan 28, 2017
Shyamalan is back and the best he's been since "Signs," which might not sound like all that much on its face. But considering that that film came out in 2002 and the fact that we've had a 15-year drought of Shyamalan mediocrity since then,Shyamalan is back and the best he's been since "Signs," which might not sound like all that much on its face. But considering that that film came out in 2002 and the fact that we've had a 15-year drought of Shyamalan mediocrity since then, even the presence of a passable film would have been a welcomed departure. Though "The Visit" this is not. This is quite the film, indeed. Yes, the twist is good (and I mean really, really good) but beyond that is a movie with a supremely well-crafted lead performance, incredibly solid visuals, and a surprising amount to say about the horror genre as it stands today. It's a movie that demands trust from its audience; trust that is rewarded in the film's pulse-pounding and ultimately revelatory final act. So please. Please go to the theater, vote with your dollar, and see this. Let the filmmaker know that we want more movies like these and not a "Last Airbender" sequel. Expand
Muskrat147Apr 30, 2017
Split serves as an incredible showcase for James Mcavoy's talent, and creates a slow-moving, yet horrifying thriller that relies on the audiences' devote attention to detail for it to all make sense in the end.
chidimeMar 24, 2017
This movie has one good thing going for it: potential. The plot has so much potential to have created one of the best/strongest movies ever. But the movie didn't fully realise it's potential. It wasn't bad by any stretch but it wasn't asThis movie has one good thing going for it: potential. The plot has so much potential to have created one of the best/strongest movies ever. But the movie didn't fully realise it's potential. It wasn't bad by any stretch but it wasn't as great as it could have been. I hope if there's a sequel that they do better. The movie needs more action (by action I don't necessarily mean fighting and all but faster paced scenes), better acting even from supporting characters and tighter execution. Could have been a 9 or 10 but a 7 would have to do. Expand
PeterAlexanderMar 14, 2017
Split is terrifying and mysterious on the most part, but once the mystery fades, the true psychological horrors the film presented the audience with disappear. Regardless, it is a thrilling movie and the first two thirds are particularly engaging.
mrdr4gonNov 15, 2017
Razor-sharp film-making from M Night Shyamalan with an excellent central performance (or should that be performances) from James McAvoy. Definitely a return to form.
mrmonsterMay 21, 2017
M. Night Shaymalan is offically back and as good as ever. Split is definitely his best movie since Signs. Not only is it the best Shaymalan movie in years, but it is also one of the best horror movies of the past few years.
BradySmithFeb 19, 2017
M. Night Shyamalan was lost in what we thought was an inescapable hole of awfulness. Then came the visit and even though it was far from a great movie it showed signs of life, and glimmers of hope for a return to form. Split is Shyamalan'sM. Night Shyamalan was lost in what we thought was an inescapable hole of awfulness. Then came the visit and even though it was far from a great movie it showed signs of life, and glimmers of hope for a return to form. Split is Shyamalan's full fledged rebirth. It may not be as deep dramatically or as nuanced or emotionally mature, etc as his first 3 films were but it's such an extreme improvement on such disasters as the Happening and After Earth that it's almost amazing to think about. With an impressive, albeit somewhat campy, turn from McAvoy, another impressive performance from Anya Taylor Joy, creepy atmosphere, disturbing tiwsts, and impressively focused direction overall, Split turns out to be a very satisfying thriller. This is what we've been waiting for from Shyamalan for years and it's his most complete work since Signs. With his talent rediscovered I'm looking forward to what he'll do next and desperately hope he doesn't fall back into that dreaded pit of mediocrity. Expand
C3realkillahMar 2, 2017
Im shocked. Not in a bad way I'm shocked that shamaylan made another great film after years of crap and unnecessary cartoon movies (I'm looking at you the last Airbender) yes this film is great. It is well acted especially James McAvoy's mainIm shocked. Not in a bad way I'm shocked that shamaylan made another great film after years of crap and unnecessary cartoon movies (I'm looking at you the last Airbender) yes this film is great. It is well acted especially James McAvoy's main antagonist. The personalities displayed here are of a high caliber and feel real and downright disturbing at times. The antagonist Kevin is a haunting human being with 23 personalities who kidnaps 3 teens and well it doesn't go well. I won't spoil anything but it's a very dreadful time for the characters but a downright interesting and creepy journey for the viewer. I highly recommend this If you love thrillers and psychological horror. the story, back story, acting are all amazingly done and well worth experiencing. One of the best films shamaylan has ever created proving that he too can evolve as a director and move past his mistakes. 8/10 Expand
Thatonenerd2187Feb 7, 2017
Split is a thrilling thriller that offers some originality to the the genre. The story itself is told very well and in a unique way. The main characters are very interesting and all have something about them that makes them interesting. TheSplit is a thrilling thriller that offers some originality to the the genre. The story itself is told very well and in a unique way. The main characters are very interesting and all have something about them that makes them interesting. The main character, Kevin, is the best out of the bunch as the acting and writing for his character is very interesting and intimidating. Casey is a girl who's had a trouble and abusive past and is smart and calm enough to know her way out of a situations. The therapist herself is a character trying to help, but also figure out the problems and a solution to Kevin's mental state. The other main female characters don't really get that much time or development to make us care, and their acting isn't the best either. The plot itself is very interesting, as each act builds upon itself and creates more tense moments. The way the film is shot is very dynamic, with each frame capturing the moments in the film very well. Split is a very interesting movie, and is m night's best film since sixth sense,and I would give it a watch. Expand
saintdeckyFeb 23, 2017
Split is the latest movie from M. Night Shyamalymalmaylmalmalmya, and though it is not his worst work, it is just...okay.

Acting: James McAvoy was fantastic, delivering a memorable performance. It takes a lot to pull off multiple different characters, and he pulled it off amazingly. Otherwise the acting was just okay. The main girl was fine, but one of the two girls wasn't very good, and other almost felt like she was over-acting a bit.

Characters: I wish that either we spent more time with all 23 personalities, or there were less of them, because we only got to spend a lot of time with about 5 of them. Otherwise, there's not much development going on besides the main girl and a little bit of McAvoy's character(s). The other two girls have nothing to do besides wearing nearly nothing and freaking out.

Plot: The plot is pretty basic, but I thought the movie did a great job of building up suspense at times, mostly towards the beginning as it started wearing off towards the end. Even the few jumpscares that were spoiled by the trailers still got my heart beating. Even the initial capture of the girls got my pulse to speed up, even though I know what's going to happen.

Script: Meh. Probably should have had an actual scriptwriter write the film. But it doesn't drag the movie down completely. It's passable at the least.

Directing: I think it is better for Shyamalan to be working on lower budgets in his recent films, as he becomes a bit less ambitious and doesn't try and show off. Of course, a twist is still present though not too satisfying, but it feels like Shyamalan is trying to take a step back. All the money can go to your head, especially after his initial successes.

Overall, Split is successful at creating suspense and tension, but is otherwise not terribly memorable, and I know some people who are upset at the way they portray mental illnesses as bad and dangerous, especially DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder).
catastrophe_Feb 20, 2017
Overall: 7.5/10
James McAvoy: 8.5/10
Overall: 7.5/10
James McAvoy: 8.5/10

This thriller and a little hint of horror movie lightened up my night. That super satisfying feeling after watching such a good movie in the cinema was all I could feel stepping out of the theatre. I'm very very very overwhelmed by the acting of James McAvoy. I gave him my invisible standing applause throughout the movie. He incredibly nailed the role of an identity dissociated man. It's beyond words.
Meanwhile, the plot, is enough. Not super good, but okay. It doesn't really explain the real issues there. There are a lot of unanswered questions that I know I won't get the answers of, and that kinda makes me unease.
Do I recommend this movie? **** YES.
KeatonMar 2, 2017
This is a thrilling movie with a good story and weird/quirky characters. Since it's based on the multiple personality disorder it gives a fun spin to the already juicy story. The makeup and costumes aren't very good though, it looks like itThis is a thrilling movie with a good story and weird/quirky characters. Since it's based on the multiple personality disorder it gives a fun spin to the already juicy story. The makeup and costumes aren't very good though, it looks like it was made with a kids makeup kit. Nonetheless, it's a good movie. Expand
zhuwangpApr 28, 2017
When we talk about M. Night Shyamalan, most people think about sixth sense. Others think about Lady in the Water or The Happening. I think Split has a little bit of both. It has the quality from Sixth Sense and the humor (internationally thisWhen we talk about M. Night Shyamalan, most people think about sixth sense. Others think about Lady in the Water or The Happening. I think Split has a little bit of both. It has the quality from Sixth Sense and the humor (internationally this time) from The Happening. The plot is about a guy who has multiple personality disorder kidnapped three girls and plans to sacrifice to “the beast”. This is as much as I can say without spoiling the plot. The less said the better about the plot. There is also a psychiatrist who is played by the crazy old lady in The Happening, who is trying to figure out the nature of the guy’s condition… ya there is a lot going on.

I think what makes this movie stands out is the amazing performance from James McAvoy and Anya Taylor-Joy. For me, a good movie should have some characters I care about and this movie have it. McAvoy’s performance can be categorized as over the top which reminds me of Paul Giamatti in Lady in the Water. But here it works. His character feels funny at first and then gradually it started to be downright creepy. I think the best thing about his performance is that every personality feels almost realistic. The scariest one is his lady personality. You almost feel like he is actually transgender. His calm and almost unnerving attitudes to the kidnapped girls is creeping me out. There is no action and no over-the-top emotion but there is something there that makes whole tension unbearable. You never know what he is going to do next. Bottom line: James McAvoy will make you forget everything about the roles he played before. Taylor-Joy’s character is someone you are worth to root for. She had a really messed up childhood which is described throughout the film. She is the victim even before the kidnapping and you sympathize what she has been through. She is trying to escape smartly and tried to gain the trusts James McAvoy’s character. She is extremely successful in making a very understandable character and she is perfect for someone who you want to root for. Considering she is a model before acting, I think she did pretty great and I hope to see her in more roles. I love the execution of the film. The setting looks very rough and reminds me of those rooms you saw in cheap B-movies. It gives you a feeling of cluster phobia and you feel like you are being trapped in a basement and there is no stairs and doors that you can escape. It gives you sense of dread and despair. However, the big problem comes from the middle. They spent way too much time explaining how did the split personality happens, which (I won’t spoil) is really stupid, you know like all the M Night films. Most importantly all the other characters are not interesting enough, especially the other two girls kidnapped, their acting were terrible. But the third act saved the entire movie. This is one of the best nail bitter horror scene I have seen in recent year. No jump scare and no other scary stereotypes, it just pure scare. The music and the lighting emphasize the unbearable tension and you are always on your seat. In the end, this is one of the best M Night Sharmalan movie. It is a very enjoyable and tense movie but not without its flaws.
BobbyLikesMovieMar 23, 2017
So I saw Split in January and it was good. It is your typical bewildering thriller. The only reason this gained so much attention is because Add to dictionary directed it. It is not a bad movie, but it is not Shyamalan’s best. This is hisSo I saw Split in January and it was good. It is your typical bewildering thriller. The only reason this gained so much attention is because Add to dictionary directed it. It is not a bad movie, but it is not Shyamalan’s best. This is his return to form, but this is not his best. Shyamalan directs with subtlety and it does not fail in this movie. There are so many subtle moments in this movie that could really benefit from a second viewing. The the performances are top-notch especially James McAvoy. It is heart-pounding and intriguing like any other thriller and in fact more bewildering than normal thrillers. However, the plot may be too loose for some and the movie lacks focus on certain ideas. The movie really wants the dark tone to be added with comical levity which at times work but at other times do not work. There are some really awkward moments both in a good way and in a bad way, but I really do not want to give anything away because I think people should watch it. It is not perfect, but it is definitely worth a watch. I really like it to the point of 8/10, but I decided to give this movie a 7/10 just for some minor inconsistencies. Overall it is a good movie. Expand
zan56Mar 31, 2017
This was a very intense movie. We were drawn to it by the commericals of James McAvoy portraying the different characters in the trailer. I think he did an amazing job of carrying the movie. When I first saw M. Night Shymalan's name pop upThis was a very intense movie. We were drawn to it by the commericals of James McAvoy portraying the different characters in the trailer. I think he did an amazing job of carrying the movie. When I first saw M. Night Shymalan's name pop up all the past notions of his failures started making me think this was about to become a terrible movie but he managed to pull it through. Overall a pretty good movie Expand
MiguelSoares14Apr 21, 2017
Impressive movie with a perfect ending. The story itself made me attracted from the first minute and the representation of the 23 personalities is very good. The 'beast' part made a bit disappointed though because i think it exceeds a bit theImpressive movie with a perfect ending. The story itself made me attracted from the first minute and the representation of the 23 personalities is very good. The 'beast' part made a bit disappointed though because i think it exceeds a bit the way he get 'transformed'. But i think this movie deserves a positive note in the end and i would recommend it to anyone. Expand
DizzyReviewsApr 18, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spoilers Ahead. You have been warned.

First Viewing: A fresh horror film with some unexpected turns. After my viewing I have to say it was a solid 8/10 with some of my expectations blown away. Now upon the first look of this movie I turned it away thinking it to be a bottom tier quick buck horror film until I noticed some positive reviews and I have to say that I was quite impressed. The movie managed to entertain while giving a unique insight into the mind of Kevin. An astonishing performance by James McAvoy who previously has never before in my eyes been that capable of an actor. It was enjoying to see him spread his wings and play a unique role that an other actor might have squandered. It it interesting to see Night's movies on the upswing with his recent string of movies tanking at every turn. It seems Night has rediscovered a bit of what has made his previous movies so great, though I won't say this movie was perfect it has some issues as do most but it was still refreshing to watch. As for the credit scene with the nod to the movie being inside the same universe as Unbreakable was a true unexpected mind blower. I can only hope this is a promise for a sequel which some fans have been desperately craving. I really home Night keeps this trend with making better movies and we don't see him fall back into the pits of Avatar and The Happening. This concludes my review and for those who are thinking of seeing this movie I would recommend watching it. Though I would advise not to think too far into it and try to remove your suspension of disbelief and you will find it much more entertaining.
SpangleJan 29, 2017
From the very first frame of this film, I felt inescapable dread. It became clear that things would only escalate, especially after Split quickly got through the setup in the trailer. With Kevin (James McAvoy) kidnapping the girls practicallyFrom the very first frame of this film, I felt inescapable dread. It became clear that things would only escalate, especially after Split quickly got through the setup in the trailer. With Kevin (James McAvoy) kidnapping the girls practically immediately into the film, Split allows itself to quickly get into the unknown. It got past the setup and now drops three young girls - Casey (Anya Taylor-Joy), Claire (Haley Lu Richardson), and Marcia (Jessica Sula) - into the lion's den and leave them no way of escaping. From there, M. Night Shyamalan is free to explore the possibilities of this unknown building and the incredible mind of Kevin, a man trapped inside his own body with 23 distinct personalities. Frequent warnings about "The Beast" only add to the tension and the end result is a film that leaves your stomach churning for nearly two hours.

That said, while the thrills and horror are top-notch and akin to films such as The Silence of the Lambs in that is not a film about viscera, but rather an exploration of the mind of a mentally ill man, Split is not explicitly a horror film. It is one that finds horror in the situation of the girls, but instead of focusing on them, the star here is Kevin's mind. The true thrill and insanity of Split is derived from his mind, rather than the situation the girls find themselves in. The latter is often quite derivative and predictable, with obvious implications regarding a gun and Casey learning to hunt proving far too overt to actually become effective. The plot itself is relatively straight forward as these girls simply are trying to get out. Once the film really hones in on Casey and her back story, it becomes equally clear that it will come down to a face-off between her and "The Beast" to escape. Thus, the more straight out thriller/horror elements really do not provide much to chew on. It feels merely superfluous to the real show: Kevin.

With 23 personalities trapped inside his mind, Kevin is a man with a lot of walls up. One personality, Dennis, is brutally evil and has OCD. He is also responsible for kidnapping the girls to sacrifice to "The Beast". Others make appearances throughout the film and some are entirely stable, some are diabetic, some are women, and some are even young children. He is a man that is thoroughly fractured and, unfortunately, the bad personalities are gained the "light" and preventing Kevin himself and the more adjusted personalities from being active. It is in this playground of personalities that Shyamalan truly as fun, as he creates great mystery as to who is actually in control of Kevin's body and what they may be capable of doing. While often quite scary, Shyamalan saves it at the end from being a film that demonizes the mentally ill. Upon saying Kevin's real name, Casey gets to interact with the real Kevin. Trapped in September 2014 within his own body, Kevin begs her to kill him before he loses control again. Tragic, heart wrenching, and entirely moving, this sequence shows that while Shyamalan finds fear in the illness suffered by the mentally ill, he does not demonize the mentally ill themselves. Rather, he paints Kevin as a sympathetic figure who desperately needs help and is trapped just like the girls kidnapped by Dennis.

The sympathetic portrayal continues in the explanation of Kevin's past. These personalities were created by his mind to help cope with the mental and physical abuse undertaken by Kevin's mother. In one terrifying scene, we get a point of view shot of Kevin hiding under the bed as his screaming and irate mother calls out his full name and closes in with a weapon to harm him. However, just as the calm and docile personalities are byproducts of Kevin's coping, the evil ones - Dennis, Patricia, and "the beast" - are all byproducts as well. Recognizing weakness, the mind has created these darker personalities out of pain. "The Beast", for example, originates from a train because his father left on a train and never returned. As such, all 23 personalities are coping mechanisms and methods by which the mind tries to protect Kevin from further mental strain and hardship. It is via this reveal that Split takes on a very depressing tone as though we see the damage he can cause when "fully evolved", it comes from a place of pain and agony. Though he must be stopped, it is hard not to shed a tear over the agony he still endures while trapped inside his own body and buried beneath coping mechanisms.

However, this portrayal does explain his approach to the girls. Claire and Marcia are the true targets. Having stalked them for weeks, he had decided upon them because they were impure and perfect for the Beast to consume. They were impure because they had never suffered pain. In his messed up post-traumatic state, Kevin's personalities have reasoned that to reach purity, one must suffer. Thus, he does not kill Casey since she bears the scars of either self-harm or her Uncle raping her to this very day.
AcaciaFeb 4, 2017
I almost did not see this movie because seeing people imprisoned by anyone is hard for me to watch. However, this movie was so well made and so interesting, it drew me right in. James McAvoy should be an Oscar contender next year for hisI almost did not see this movie because seeing people imprisoned by anyone is hard for me to watch. However, this movie was so well made and so interesting, it drew me right in. James McAvoy should be an Oscar contender next year for his portrayal of a man with 23 distinct personalities. MNS has finally made a movie that deserves the early acclaim he won for his first few movies (although I did enjoy The Visit). There is plenty of suspense and nail biting moments and some cool surprises as well. This movie is not for everyone. But those of us who enjoy a good scary movie will enjoy it. Expand
CheetahiceJan 23, 2017
This movie had everything that I was looking for from action to a little hint of horror, that was believable. I think that M. Night Shyamalan has done it again. Split is the best movie of 2017 so far. It did have one problem of having tooThis movie had everything that I was looking for from action to a little hint of horror, that was believable. I think that M. Night Shyamalan has done it again. Split is the best movie of 2017 so far. It did have one problem of having too much different personality sometimes it was hard to keep track of them all. Expand
Val-835Apr 1, 2017
Some have compared this with "Unbreakable". It's nothing like it. That one was a sleeper by comparison.
What makes it so special is that the whole story is solidly based on actual science.
And doesn't label people who suffers from this mental
And doesn't label people who suffers from this mental "disorder" as just freaks or weirdos. Or the usual cliches.
It goes way beyond that. Good performances from all actors, terrific story. What more could you ask ?
It left a deep impression on me. It's one of those movies that you remember for a long time. And makes you wonder. What is the human mind capable of ?
nestoryavithSep 18, 2017
A very great mind boggling experience. Amazing sci-fi and I loved it to a point where I even started asking questions whether it is possible and I have to say great split performance act by James McAvoy (Split, I know) Great film andA very great mind boggling experience. Amazing sci-fi and I loved it to a point where I even started asking questions whether it is possible and I have to say great split performance act by James McAvoy (Split, I know) Great film and spectacular directing and the cast was brilliant. 9/10 Expand
LamontRaymondJan 20, 2017
The movie doesn't end in the best possible way, but the mood and the set-up are superior to most everything he's done in recent years. McAvoy is amazing, as is the indelible Betty Buckley. Loved her in "8 is Enough" - can't believe she'sThe movie doesn't end in the best possible way, but the mood and the set-up are superior to most everything he's done in recent years. McAvoy is amazing, as is the indelible Betty Buckley. Loved her in "8 is Enough" - can't believe she's still kicking so much ass. Joy is also really good - her career seems to be off to an amazing start. Expand
harryjcJan 22, 2017
M. Night is back, and I'm glad. This is a return to form. He's created something that rivals The Sixth Sense. This movie is creepy, and mysterious. Surprising. The best psychological thriller I've ever seen. But I won't get into details aboutM. Night is back, and I'm glad. This is a return to form. He's created something that rivals The Sixth Sense. This movie is creepy, and mysterious. Surprising. The best psychological thriller I've ever seen. But I won't get into details about it, because it will spoil it. Just go out, and watch this. Expand
EpicLadySpongeJan 20, 2017
After making numerous amount of failures, Split breaks the line and it's unusual for Shyamalan to make such a big returning point in movie careering from terrible movies to great movies. Forget the fact that this is horror bait, it's actuallyAfter making numerous amount of failures, Split breaks the line and it's unusual for Shyamalan to make such a big returning point in movie careering from terrible movies to great movies. Forget the fact that this is horror bait, it's actually a welcome back sign for M. Night Shyamalan. Expand
Benkoko11Feb 27, 2017
Its no Sixth Sense but Shyamalan gives us lots to ponder in his latest thriller. Although admittedly, the entire premise would have fallen through if not for a legendary performance by James McAvoy.
Tonya_JJan 28, 2017
M. Night has created a new villain for our age and done a fine job setting up a very thought-provoking premise: What if being broken makes you pure of heart? And what if once being broken you gained immense strength as a result? James McAvoyM. Night has created a new villain for our age and done a fine job setting up a very thought-provoking premise: What if being broken makes you pure of heart? And what if once being broken you gained immense strength as a result? James McAvoy steals the entire film with a finely nuanced performance as a "special needs" patient in therapy, who we first meet as Barry. Betty Buckley provides marvelous support as his therapist, Dr. Fletcher, and whose patients have become her life and her world, leading her to lose her objectivity to a degree. Within the plot, Shyamalan plays with a Jekyll and Hyde theme with a big twist: "You can be who you think you are" sans the experimental potion used in the original Jekyll & Hyde story. Several horror tropes are at work in Split, but I found it to be more of a psychological thriller, one with an extremely satisfying ending. Expand
gatts_77Jan 21, 2017
Lets start with the basic question, is it worth it? yes it is!, is not amazing, is not going to blow your head, but it is definitely a great thriller, i greatly appreciated that MNS dont try to force over your throat another "wait till theLets start with the basic question, is it worth it? yes it is!, is not amazing, is not going to blow your head, but it is definitely a great thriller, i greatly appreciated that MNS dont try to force over your throat another "wait till the end" over the top twist and rather build it consistently through the narrative of the movie, it feels much more of a mature movie than The Visit for example, and give McAvoy the Oscar already, what a performance!, could have been from good to great with a better story telling around Casey, felt like a wasted opportunitty Expand
marcmyworksJan 24, 2017
I was quite surprised with how I wasn't surprised how good 'Split' was. James McAvoy is one of my favourite actors and he shines, channeling Sally Field in 'Sybil' but also being completely charismatic playing multiple mentally unstableI was quite surprised with how I wasn't surprised how good 'Split' was. James McAvoy is one of my favourite actors and he shines, channeling Sally Field in 'Sybil' but also being completely charismatic playing multiple mentally unstable personalities. M. Night returns to form and has not made a film this strong since his 2002 hit 'Signs'. Funnily enough I was routing for every character and hoping that everyone could just get along. Expand
hakai124Jan 20, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is honestly the best film Shyamalon has made in years. It perfectly captures a blend of comedy, horror, and suspense with surprisingly good storytelling. There are some clunky lines and obvious exposition dumps at times though the film remains entertaining and engaging. There are definitely some shortcomings in the film such as "The Beast" actually being a thing and some bad CG being involved, the ending where it turns out it was all inspired by a zoo where the DID victim works, and the aforementioned exposition dumps/clunky lines. The good though is the lead's performances; McAvoy in particular is fantastic with switching between roles while being absolutely maniacal and Taylor-Joy does a great job as well considering her character's backstory and motivations. The biggest drawback on the movie though is the ambiguous ending as to what will happen as well as an awkward tie-in to Unbreakable which seemed odd and out of place to me. Expand
TheQuietGamerMay 23, 2017
It gets points for originality. The concept is remarkably well-executed and despite a familiar kidnapping aspect the movie really is unlike anything else out there. James McAvoy is absolutely incredible. I've always thought of him as anIt gets points for originality. The concept is remarkably well-executed and despite a familiar kidnapping aspect the movie really is unlike anything else out there. James McAvoy is absolutely incredible. I've always thought of him as an incredible actor, but here he goes above and beyond by giving us multiple fantastic performances all in the same film. It's not just the voices either. Each person he plays feels fully fleshed out and unique from one another. Even little facial quirks are brought to life by him.

The tale itself seems to be a parable about human cruelty. The writing is mostly fantastic except for the fact that some of the characters fall into that predictable horror movie trapping of overstepping their ability and doing things that prolong the danger of the scenario when they could have ended things by just making the smart decision. The movie's real flaw though is a disappointing lack of true fear. There's a sense of tension, but nothing that will keep you on edge. What keeps you invested is the weirdness of it all. The mystery is inviting enough to keep you watching.

M. Night Shyamalan is making his comeback. Whether or not he can keep this up following this and The Visit is to be seen. Split proves to be another reason of why we should risk it. It's not perfect, but it's a welcome dose of creativity and uniqueness. Plus it serves as a pathway into a sequel for one of Shyamalan's more celebrated movies. There's plenty of potential in the future for Shyamalan movies, but right I recommend you enjoy their present and give Split a chance.
LeZeeAug 10, 2017
The 24th's about to explode!

The 24th's about to explode!

The much needed break for the director Shyamalan. It has been over a decade since the last time he was lauded like this for his work. On the paper, it was a simple split personality disaster theme, but cinematically clicked so well. Firstly the performance of James McAvoy made this film a very success. I have seen his lots of films, but if I had to choose only one of his great, that's would be easily this one. A straightforward story, no complication to understand, or needed to explain everything it revolves. Then suddenly the final act turned into a different mode. With a twist, all comes to end.

The three teenage girls have been kidnapped at the beginning. Following that, the victims do not know the situation, but makes a couple of bad moves, except one girl. As the film progress, many secrets revealed to us, particularly about the kidnapper. It all developed to lead in one direction where an unimaginable thing going to happen. How and what result it brings told in the following parts.

The perspective of the story was not really a thing in this. That means it does not take sides, but gives you the option to choose. And most of the viewers would root for the weird girl. It was Anya, and she's having a wonderful career in early stage. Could becomes one of the best if she contributed all her performances in the same pace and intensity. The music was equally awesome. Created the perfect atmosphere along with the visuals. I could have not asked the better one. Best thriller of the year. You will be stupid to miss it out if you love films.

FadeBlackJun 11, 2017
Phenomenal psychological thriller. It keeps you guessing, it keeps you entertained, and most importantly it keeps you talking about it long after it has finished. Textbook stile very good to great movie - with a remarkable performance byPhenomenal psychological thriller. It keeps you guessing, it keeps you entertained, and most importantly it keeps you talking about it long after it has finished. Textbook stile very good to great movie - with a remarkable performance by McAvoy. It did, admittedly feel more like the beginning of a story and lacked a real proper ending, which it brings it down a bit, but fires on full blast on all other cylinders. Expand
BrianMcCriticJan 27, 2017
The drought is finally over M. Night Shyamalan has easily made his best film since Signs. The film takes many different chances and with the film's phenomenal finale I'm happy to say the chances are a success. A-
NShep53Feb 6, 2017
A solid script, amazing acting by James McAvoy and Anya Taylor Joy, and the sure direction of M. Night Shyamalan make Split a resounding success. Split really surprises.
moviemitch96Feb 12, 2017
Finally got around to checking this out and I'd say that this definitely a decent little comeback from M. Night Shyamalan. While it might not be enough to re-win over all of his passionate haters completely, I'd say it's got enough good goingFinally got around to checking this out and I'd say that this definitely a decent little comeback from M. Night Shyamalan. While it might not be enough to re-win over all of his passionate haters completely, I'd say it's got enough good going for it for the most part anyway, from James McAvoy's dynamic performance to the overall story and premise that for once isn't wasted potential (which is quite unusual for a Shyamalan film nowadays.) Overall, it's certainly no "The Sixth Sense", nor is it absolutely mind-blowing by any means, but McAvoy's committed performance and the story and it's often-enough intriguing premise keeps this well-above most of Shyamalan's past efforts, which I think says enough. I'd say it's also worth noting that the surprise cameo at the very end also manages to make things a little more interesting as well. Expand
violinguy88Feb 3, 2017
Split is a sort-of throwback film for M Night Shyamalan in that it recalls some themes and material found in some of his earliest films (especially his second film - can't say too much). What is different here is, there is no hokey orSplit is a sort-of throwback film for M Night Shyamalan in that it recalls some themes and material found in some of his earliest films (especially his second film - can't say too much). What is different here is, there is no hokey or contrived surprise ending like in some of his weaker films like Lady in the Water and The Happening. Split comes to an ending with a few loose ends still out there, but as with good entertainment, it leaves us wanting more.

James McAvoy is tremendous here. I would say, tremendous times 23 for the number of personalities. He shows a lot of depth and some real solid acting chops. So does Anya Taylor-Joy as the quirky and "different" protagonist.

My main critique of this film is, frankly it was a little boring. I like Shyamalan's pacing and I enjoy the way his films seem to have a rolling boil instead of a vigorous one, but this one lacked any big scares or moments. The film can feel very claustrophobic at times, which is probably on purpose, but at the end, when the protagonist and antagonist have their showdown, the film just kind of peters out.

There is talk of a sequel to one of his earliest films, and this one sets it up beautifully, but my wife hasn't seen that earlier film so she was a little confused. I had to explain it to her without giving away the plot of the other movie.

All in all, this is a nice return to the slow thriller for Mr. Shyamalan and I'm looking forward to where he goes from here.
NotoriousFraudMar 10, 2017
"Split" was a pleasant surprise. an M. Night Shyamalan movie coming out in JANUARY, actually turned out to be good. The biggest downside with the movie will be the forced sequels in the wake of its success.
moviecritic68Feb 2, 2017
Very intense drama. Probably would have scored it a 7 in generality but the main character's acting was so impressive I felt the need to upgrade the score.
badgerryan19May 19, 2017
Went into this movie with big expectations with James McAvoy and Mr. Shymalan directing. I felt like the first time since Signs we have finally gotten a great movie from Shymalan again and I sure hope he can continue this. James McAvoy wow!Went into this movie with big expectations with James McAvoy and Mr. Shymalan directing. I felt like the first time since Signs we have finally gotten a great movie from Shymalan again and I sure hope he can continue this. James McAvoy wow! what can be said here? He gives the best performance that he has ever given and better not be left out of awards season. The story was absolutely original and I loved it! Anya Taylor-Johnson once again gives another stellar performance and should now be talked about as an up-incoming star. The other characters were okay. And that twist that i did not see coming. Shymalan proves once again he is the master of the twist finales. Expand
ChrichtonsworldJan 31, 2017
McAvoy is absolutely terrifying! The second film in a short while where M. Night Shyamalan successfully has managed to scare the living hell out of us. The previous being The Visit of course.

Now I know that there have been quite a few

Now I know that there have been quite a few thrillers that make use of the Dissociative identity disorder or multiple personality disorder (MPD) and that at this point there is very little that can be done to truly surprise you. But by god M. Night has succeeded in a way that will put you on the edge of your seat multiple times. Not all the time mind you since the film dials down a few notches a couple of times. And this could make it seem the film drags here and there. In hindsight though it was M. Night teaching us what a master of horror he truly can be since he plays around with the tension to keep your interest peaked. Trust me on this that even when some of the plot developments may appear predictable it goes into different directions entirely. Especially at the very end of the film since it gives us a twist that is so meta that it will make your head spin. Very daring and incredibly effective. It is like he is saying, I told you that I am still very much on top of my game. But aside from this, the film in itself is incredible brilliant. James McAvoy was having a blast and he shows us what an amazing actor he is by switching up personalities like it's nothing. Still I do have to remark that Anya Taylor-Joy as Casey Cooke made a good impression as well. I did not even recognize her as she also was in The Witch. Split is one of those movies that does a lot of things really good and has you singing praise right after. But of course there will always be people hating on this film just because Shyamalan is involved. He does tend to make films that require you to suspend disbelief and have somewhat of an imagination. Doesn't always mean you have to like or agree with his vision because I am pretty aware he can make terrible films as well. Still Split is certainly is one of his better ones and deserves to be watched by many. So go forth ladies and gentlemen and enjoy yourselves. I certainly did!
RvwFromUpHereJan 25, 2017
Who: James McAvoy, Kid James McAvoy, Woman James McAvoy, Sexual Assault James McAvoy, Metro-sexual James McAvoy, Artsy James McAvoy, Diabetic James McAvoy, and more!
What: The comeback M. Night Shyamalan deserves
Where: A weird guy's
What: The comeback M. Night Shyamalan deserves
Where: A weird guy's basement; like most great movies.
When (Can I watch again): You'll probably need to watch it immediately due to disbelief that M. Night Shyamalan actually made a good film post 2003. Why: This is M. Night's 4th best film, and gives me hope for the future of this once incredible director's career.
RobBob99Jan 29, 2017
James McAvoy's committed performance in Split lead to his best performance he's ever given and one worthy of an Academy Award nomination. But it's not solely him driving this film, Ana Taylor-Joy was fantastic in this film as well and M.James McAvoy's committed performance in Split lead to his best performance he's ever given and one worthy of an Academy Award nomination. But it's not solely him driving this film, Ana Taylor-Joy was fantastic in this film as well and M. Night Shyamalan proves why he wasn't a one hit wonder. Through tense direction and suspense, he patiently takes the audience on a great character study that held my attention. And of course, THAT ending. Simply unexpected, I almost love this film. Expand
Rix397Apr 27, 2017
James MacAvoy delivers an incredible performance as he switches between personalities in this well-directed and well-acted horror thriller "Split" which is as intriguing as it is thrilling. The director M. Night Shyamalan proves with "Split"James MacAvoy delivers an incredible performance as he switches between personalities in this well-directed and well-acted horror thriller "Split" which is as intriguing as it is thrilling. The director M. Night Shyamalan proves with "Split" that he is more than capable of making a good movie, despite the confusing flashbacks and ending. Expand
NigmeMar 16, 2017
Acting: 9 (How good is James McAvoy a dramatic actor)
Screenplay: 8
Ending: 6 A very tought thriller by M. Night Shyamalan. A profound film about the transformation of man into a beast from cruelty. A film about a crippled childhood that you
Acting: 9 (How good is James McAvoy a dramatic actor)
Screenplay: 8
Ending: 6
A very tought thriller by M. Night Shyamalan. A profound film about the transformation of man into a beast from cruelty. A film about a crippled childhood that you need to learn to forget because it will haunt you in different ways.
UNARMED_JORDFeb 26, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spit is a definite highlight of Shamalyns career and with it accompanies a fantastic pyschological thriller that's "Unbreakable" (Another one of M.Night's film) connection is emmaculate Expand
reviewfrom19842Apr 17, 2017
Split cast an amazing cast the acting is amazing. James McAvoy was great .
jscala147Feb 1, 2017
This is a great movie. I would recommend it to anyone. The acting is great and this is definitely worth a trip to the theater. I would put this up for oscar contention if it was earlier
eva3si0nMay 19, 2017
Quite interesting thriller if to consider his budget. I a little bigger waited from the movie, disclosure of the character Kevin, an explanation of life of such people. And I haven't received at all there is nothing from this. The thriller inQuite interesting thriller if to consider his budget. I a little bigger waited from the movie, disclosure of the character Kevin, an explanation of life of such people. And I haven't received at all there is nothing from this. The thriller in itself the average level, holds all movie at the screen only thanks to fine actor's work of James McAvoy. End of the movie in general disappointment - well everything is so banal and is same, and there is no logical final. The narration was simply torn off.
And why in this movie James McAvoy it is so similar to Oxxxymiron?))
YellowTabsMar 4, 2017
After success stories such as The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, preceding a series of comparatively underwhelming films, M. Night Shyamalan is back with 2016’s SPLIT. And it’s about time.  With one of the most eerie trailers, a lot wasAfter success stories such as The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, preceding a series of comparatively underwhelming films, M. Night Shyamalan is back with 2016’s SPLIT. And it’s about time.  With one of the most eerie trailers, a lot was expected of the psychological thriller produced by Blumhouse Productions and Blinding Edge Pictures.

About the Movie

In this reality it is believed that those with Dissociative Identity Disorder can not only contain multiple completely dissimilar personalities but also Read More on http://yellowtabs.com/movie-review-split/
HPFANBOY1237May 20, 2017
Split is one of very few movies that actually scare me and creep me out. It's gorgeous to look at and it's so thought provoking and fun to watch meanwhile suspenseful at the same time. The second act does drag a bit but I highly recommend Split. A-
MadMaxFuryRoadJan 21, 2017
Split! First off, Split is going o earn a ton of movie as I saw this in a 3:45PM showing at my theater on Saturday and the theater was nearly full (299 seats)! This movie was my most anticipated movie of January and boy was I happy when ISplit! First off, Split is going o earn a ton of movie as I saw this in a 3:45PM showing at my theater on Saturday and the theater was nearly full (299 seats)! This movie was my most anticipated movie of January and boy was I happy when I left. James McAvoy delivers one of the best performances ever (probably his best) as he portrays Kevin's 24 identities. Anya Taylor-Joy was also really good in this film as well as the other two girls and Betty Buckley. M Night Shyamalan delivers once again a unique, fun, interesting thriller. Split had some very good scenes (although sadly, some of them were shown in the trailer), as well as some memorable ones. Split also has a ton of humor, which works incredibly well. However, there were some flaws with movie, one of which was the thriller aspect. The movie had a ton of incredibly well acted scenes, but the film lacked suspense in some ways, which slightly disappointed me. Also, I thought the trailer gave a bit too much, so some good scenes were already spoiled. That being said, Split still delivered a great plot and a satisfying ending. I thought the film length was just about right, which is very rare. Split was a major improvement over The Visit and James McAvoy delivered an Oscar-worthy performance. I recommend everyone to go see this film. Also, for some reason, I can't seem to get Split out of my head, due to the amazing well-told story, which is why I'm giving it a high score. (94.5/100) Expand
Richard21Jan 21, 2017
This movie was absolutely amazing, it starts off slow, and gets really good towards the end. M. Night is back, and better than ever. The acting was great across the board, and overall, I really enjoyed this movie.
bfoore90Jan 26, 2017
I'm just gonna start out by saying that its nice to finally see a good movie with M.Night Shyamalan's name attached to it, thats all i really want to say. I assumed he was a has-been in Hollywood after "The Last Airbender" and "After Earth"I'm just gonna start out by saying that its nice to finally see a good movie with M.Night Shyamalan's name attached to it, thats all i really want to say. I assumed he was a has-been in Hollywood after "The Last Airbender" and "After Earth" but Split represents a nice return to form for M. Night. James McAvoy was incredible in this and I also really enjoyed Anya Taylor-Joy's acting as well. Expand
GameRateReviewJan 22, 2017
Wow!
What a great movie. In my opinion one of M. Nights best. The performances and direction of this movie are something to marvel at. Please go see this movie!
RalfbergsJun 23, 2017
Really enjoyable movie and performance from the main characters. One of the best movies so far this year. 9.5 from me. Great acting, storyline - the suspense is there and everything that comes with it.
avr50Mar 19, 2017
James Mcavoy and Anya Taylor Joy are excellent in this thrilling movie. Without knowing whats going to happened this movie will make you scared and also creates little laughs
Lukedabadass267Jan 27, 2017
The movie was excepentially good with everything you can expect very excited and it has its funny moments but the plot itself is very disturbing with some violence the movie is very slow paced though
mckay813Feb 4, 2017
I'm an Boston Author. I'm Very Glad to see a Great Movie for a change. I'm tired of paying $20.00 + at the movies and be so disappointed.
But Guess what!!! Not this time, This was and is one GREAT MOVIE. I loved it. I was happy to see someone with a Brian to make such a good movie that has a Great story line right to the end.

I believe there will be a part two, I hope there is. Great job, I give it Ten Stars out of 10.

Boston Author Michael W. McKay - Who wrote the Hit - A Big House for Little Men, my Book can be a Movie or a series on Netflix's. Ect, Ect :)
whitmorgan7Mar 10, 2017
Night Shyamalan has done it again, and finally in a good way. I have always been a fan of his work, even through the rough patches. Horror-comedy is a thing, and he excels in it usually. His last film, The Visit, was a perfect example ofNight Shyamalan has done it again, and finally in a good way. I have always been a fan of his work, even through the rough patches. Horror-comedy is a thing, and he excels in it usually. His last film, The Visit, was a perfect example of this. It had been years since M. Night had released a film that the general consensus loved, personally I loved The Visit, but not everyone did. Many were beginning to think he was in a rut that he couldn’t get out of. Thank God he proved us all wrong.

When the trailer for Split was first released, I knew it was an M. Night film. It had the feel, it was weird and different, and I had a feeling I was going to be pleasantly surprised. The premise for the movie is a man with twenty-three identities kidnapping three girls. Seems simple enough. The great thing about a film by Shyamalan is that they are never simple, never typical, and always a fun ride.

The movie opens with a birthday party where friends Claire and Marcia, Haley Lu Richardson and Jessica Sula respectively, are discussing why they shouldn’t have invited Casey, Anya Taylor-Joy, to the birthday party with Claire’s dad. Casey stands at a window alone trying to get a ride, but it turns out the car broke down. The four make their way to the car so Claire’s dad can take them all home. While loading everything into the trunk, a man approaches Claire’s dad and then the strange man gets into the vehicle with the girls. When the girls try to tell them he has the wrong car, he drugs them and they wake up in a strange room.

Here, we meet Dennis, one of the many personalities of James McAvoy’s character Kevin Wendell Crumb. At this point, all we know about Dennis is that he is OCD, as you can tell by his actions. We soon meet Patricia, and then after Hedwig. They all tell the girls that “he” is coming to see them, and that they will not be hurt until then. While the three separate personalities have the girls locked away, his other identities are emailing his therapist, Betty Buckley, for meetings. She almost always speaks with Barry, but senses something is different with him. She knows that Kevin/Barry have mentioned other personalities to her before, and she knows that some of them are ‘bad’ versions of Kevin himself. The girls try to figure out ways to get out and get away from Kevin, but they will see that Kevin is smart and most of their attempts will fail. You learn in a series of flashbacks for about Casey and her childhood, and you learn a little bit more about why she is the way that she is.

The film brings an uneasiness to the theater, and shows you that you really never know you’re coming into contact with on a daily basis. There is a strong science base to a portion of this film. Each of Kevin’s personalities will make you feel something, nearing the end of the movie you will get to see a glimpse of most of them. You might even feel bad for Kevin. You will love Casey, and you will be rooting for her, Claire, and Marcia.

With any Shyamalan film, you can almost guarantee that their will be some sort of twist ending. This one is no different. There are not only one, but two twists in the final moments of this film. If you aren’t an avid fan of Shyamalan’s films, the last twist might blow right past you, however, if you’ve been watching his films since the beginning of his time, the last twist will quite literally blow your socks off. But it’s a blink and you miss it kind of thing. I actually didn’t realize what had happened until the next day, and then I had to call everyone that had seen it already to tell them.

I was very excited to see this movie because I have a growing appreciation for Anya Taylor-Joy. Not only is she an exquisite actress–did any of you watch The Witch? If not you need to see her in it, she makes the whole entire movie better–but she is also someone that I think I could be best friends with. I love to read her interviews and I am always excited to see what project she will be doing next. She delivers in this film. She does exactly what is needed of her character and more. If she’s been under your radar, she won’t be after this movie. She’s someone we all need to watch out for in the future. James McAvoy goes above and beyond what is expected of him in this movie. He is almost unrecognizable in the role. He embodies a man with split personalities so wonderfully. You feel that each version of Kevin that he is playing is a different person, and he gives each character an individual personality and characteristics. Richardson and Sula also give a peak performance, Richardson being another young actress we should all be watching.

If you don’t like films like Shyamalan produces, you might not have the level of respect for this film as I did. I can’t say that you shouldn’t try it, because I think overall it is a wonderful film. And if you do love his work, please pay attention to the very end scene. There is SUCH an importance to it.
DaviAlvesApr 9, 2017
Shyamalan did a great job with this amazing movie, the phoptography is good, everything work on this movie, loved it. Waiting for the sequel, Bruce Willis will kick 24 asses.
annbdApr 14, 2018
Second time watching was just as scary as the first time. It's scary with a little bit of 'nasty' scenes, but for people like me, that can't stand truly disturbing typically nasty horror movies, 'Split' was decent In this case .

The movie

The movie concerns Multiple Personality Disorder. The split personality is quite a rare , affects small portion of the population and it's considered that the main reason for it's development is due to increasingly common childhood abuse (I love the short, but sufficient scene for the cause of the protagonist current mental state, perfectly directed). By the way, if you are interested, there are super interesting personal made videos in YouTube by people in this condition. The real life inspiration for 'Split' is a person, called Billy Milligan. A movie worthy watching.
PipeCMar 6, 2017
One Man, Twenty-Three Personalities, One Beast Is About to Be Unleashed

One Man, Twenty-Three Personalities, One Beast Is About to Be Unleashed

An abduction thriller worthy to be recognized as the categorical resurrection of that mortal that revolutionized film world, creating his own hallmark, a man who served as an exchange of Brian De Palma, who in turn stood in the master Hitchcock."Split" links together realities classified as dissociative identity disorders(DID) in enigmatic, elegant and distressing way, adding a sort of paranormal setting, where the greatest horror not only emanates from the unusual acting exercise of the male main role, claustrophobic sets, traditional final plot twists or Fine treatment provided for each frame, greatest terror is that by this one, his latest work, Shyamalan officially endorses his return.

Although "The Sixth Sense" was his third incursion into celluloid world, it was this masterpiece, nominated for two Academy Awards, which placed M. Night Shyamalan in all radars, filmmaker characterized by directing, writing and producing each of his ideas. Thanks to his cyclopean "debut", one year later, he returned to be a target for all spotlights with a story that opened the esteemed superheroes universe of today, but we aren't conversing about those who have superpowers, saving the world and residing in solitude, we refer the enthusiastic fable of two men, one is unbreakable and the other one is too breakable. Even in "Signs", Shyamalan remained to grant films with excellent class relative to the suspense, exposition and his regular formula ala Hitchcock. Deplorably, a swift, appalling and distressing professional decline came from his seventh project "Lady in the Water", this one was a brutal turning point in his career, which finalized with the calamitous economic busts. However, 2015 brought back that director who has a jaw-dropping talent, with horror thriller "The Visit", witnessing that the competencies of the director come out specifically with low-budgets and professional actors. Keeping in mind that some money means better brainstorms, he resolves to continue with needs for "Split", a feature film which is positioned in the top 3 between his films due to its attractive story, almost perfect performances and that heady final gesture to his dissimilar filmography.

After the air of dread overlaid on the beginning around to the kidnapping of the three young women who's in different averages of moral, intellectual and corporal nudity; the film pays homage to the supreme genre classics, besides, the director-I don't know how gives with infinite ways to equip each frame of own personality, as if it were several filmmakers who are merged into a single mind, a frightening mind.

It escorted by a B-movie frank charm, the crucial condition for the psychological feat to work properly is the proficient cast, of which two people were superior. McAvoy's performance(s) feels like a veneration to Anthony Perkins' "Psycho" or many of the actors and actresses who have portrayed multi-dimensionally credible characters. The interpretative conveniences of "Split" are the fantasy for any actor craving to bring his capabilities to light, and on this occasion, young Magneto of X-Men franchise was who got the vote of confidence to demonstrate what he treasures, making manifest the multifaceted person that he is. One of the most remarkable and compelling acting tours de force of recent times, one which has been carved out with fire into universal filmography, a round of applause for this master. It'd not be correct to set aside his companion, Anya Taylor-Joy, who accomplished tremendous debut in Robert Eggers' "The Witch". She transmits intrinsic loneliness and self-destruction which have been aroused by a tragic last. This one is a testimony more about we're witnessing to one of the next matrons of the interpretation.

Thanks to the alternate and incessant flashbacks that gradually paints Casey's infancy, Shyamalan sets up timing in due course and manufactures a parallelism between its two main characters, who find their generic reason for living: pain.

As film, "Split" is fascinating and disturbing from the minute one due to its modern photography, supported by a tenacious opacity within the suffocating underground den and the shots mostly enclosed. Shyamalan writes congenial characters in order to actors win the audience over, causing we follow terrified three young women's future, but even more, the dreadful birth of personality number twenty-four of Kevin, all this thing while it delivers audiovisual quality to handfuls with a perturbing soundtrack, a claustrophobic staging and a plot in which we should not trust. Contemplating the last, not only the protagonists had a hurtful yesterday, Shyamalan also had it, and although we shouldn't be too optimistic, we can assert or at least predict the return of the director thanks to one of the most memorable suspense/thriller motion pictures of the last five-year period.
TryASummersaultJan 20, 2017
4.5/5 M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN IS BACK IN HIS SIGNATURE STYLISH THRILLER FASHION! I know that M. Night lost his stride in the mid to late 2000's with some major failures, but he is definitely back in full stride as one of the most creative and4.5/5 M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN IS BACK IN HIS SIGNATURE STYLISH THRILLER FASHION! I know that M. Night lost his stride in the mid to late 2000's with some major failures, but he is definitely back in full stride as one of the most creative and clever thriller directors around. I can assure you that this is the best film he's put out since Signs imo. This is a drama thriller thats intertwined and wound within 2 character's personal mental struggles/battles/memories coming to the surface to the highest degree and intensity. It's as thoughtful as it is visceral and he captures what it's like to fight mental disorders almost perfectly through a myriad of different emotions and versions of one's self/selves. James McAvoy was absolutely stunning and versatile in his portrayals of several different personalities, and covered almost every angle of emotion he could in about 13 various intricate identities with immense variety abound. I'm willing to say that his acting was some of the best I've seen in years and he should be awarded for it. The tone and delivery of M Night's direction and writing was his classic brilliant twist style that harkens back to his glory days of the Sixth Sense/Unbreakable/Signs era in full effect. The twists will leave you flabbergasted and perplexed. Easily one of my favorite thrillers of all time and a must see. I know many people gave up on M Night, but I'm telling you his genius never left and this film proves it. Expand
RuslanDZEJan 22, 2017
I do not like Shyamalan. Really. I know his best movie is The Sixth Sense. And I was not really impress by that movie. But after I watched trailer for his latest flick "Split" I was intrigued. Firstly, because I like multiple identitiesI do not like Shyamalan. Really. I know his best movie is The Sixth Sense. And I was not really impress by that movie. But after I watched trailer for his latest flick "Split" I was intrigued. Firstly, because I like multiple identities topic. Secondly, James McAvoy is a great actor. Well, I was not disappointed by this movie. I liked Mcavoy acting as expected and I did not like acting of two teenage girls which were support actors. Movie feels weird at times. Is not scary movie but it makes you feel weird after some McAvoy's moments. Sometime you are laughing. I just wanna say that you should not expect to see scary movie. It is just interesting story with horror elements. For January flick is a great film and I think one of the best Shyamalan's movie. Expand
Lambo442Sep 7, 2018
Surprised the user scores weren't higher for this one. McAvoy is insanely good in this and delivers the performance of his career. the plot is brilliant and the suspense is top notch.
vagvlJan 6, 2019
Never undestood why after 6 sence which was rightfully praised every movie hes made is treated like **** was very good, the village was great view others were good and some were bad.This one is amazing, maybe up there with 6 sence.I made theNever undestood why after 6 sence which was rightfully praised every movie hes made is treated like **** was very good, the village was great view others were good and some were bad.This one is amazing, maybe up there with 6 sence.I made the mistake discovering the plot twist by the treiler of his sequel and still was amazed.If that hadent happent it would had blow me away.Who wone the **** oscar the year it was realesed instead of McAvoy ? Expand
BellamomitaApr 4, 2017
Best movie ever I would have just added more extensive back story of Kevin's Childhood the abuse he endured that made personalities (like the movie Sybil)
Just like Casey Cooke with the sexual abuse in the movie
jacoobi456Jun 12, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Split is one of my favourite movies. Ever. I know Shyamalan hasn't had the best of runs over the past years, but Split begs to differ. Right from the start, James McAvoy steals the show with a performance, I think, worthy of an Academy Award. He switches effortlessly from personality to personality, which isn't easy considering one is a 9-year old boy, and another an OCD middle-aged man, and another a household-wife kinda woman. When the 24th personality is finally revealed, even you feel scared and on edge, as even his absences from the camera make you wonder where he is or what he's up to. In other words, no matter if he's on or off-screen , he's always on your mind. The other performance worth a notice is that of Anya Taylor-Joy, who conveyed her emotions of utter fear outstandingly, every facial expression saying a thousand things at once, every sentence weighted perfectly, knowing when to commit one to your memory and really feel for her. Shyamalan has wonderfully balanced the amount of horror, comedy (Hedwig, the dancing scene worth a mention- creepy but funny in its own right) and abnormality ('The Beast'- not totally unbelievable but something that makes you go 'Woah, that is COOL': and occasionally scares the sh!t out of you.). The main focus of the film is Kevin's mind, and as said: McAvoy doesn't let you forget that. Shyamalan explores his mind perfectly, letting the viewer unravel the sometimes twisted layers of Kevin's mind themselves, trusting the viewer to keep watching and follow the plot closely, immersing them in the story, which is one of the best aspects of the film- the sense of involvement with Kevin and his antics, and the rollercoaster of emotions that come hand-in-hand with them. It isn't only Kevin that we learn more about as the flim progresses, however: we learn about why Casey(Anya's character) is considerably calmer and placid than the other two girls; her exposure to physical abuse by her uncle. This in itself heightens the feelings towards Casey, and adds to the horror of the film, summed up by one of the very last scenes of the movie, when Casey is told that her uncle is waiting, and the look on her face almost says 'lock me back up with the psycho. Please.'. Again, Shyamalan trusts us to stick with the film and learn the answers to her longing to be outside and her nonchalant-esque attitude to her rather hairy situation, which when is discovered is quite harrowing.

My only con about this movie are the performances of the two other girls, Claire and Marcia (played by Haley Lu Richardson and Jessica Sula); their reactions seemed too forced, and in general the duo seemed out of place in this film.

So, basically: Watch. This. Film.
spacebear1Dec 8, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. M. Night Shyamalan's Split is an amazing psychological thriller film. And what makes it even better is the fact that it is actually a sequel to the film Unbreakable. James McAvoy was flawless as he plays many dual performances in this film. Anya-Taylor Joy's character was also great in this film. The story was great, the tone was great, and the pacing was perfect. In the end, this is a great film and even better sequel. Expand
CTHReviewsSep 11, 2018
Shyamalan is back. Split is absolutely fantastic, and James McAvoy honestly gives an Oscar-nomination worthy performance as Kevin Wendell Crumb and 9 of his 23 different personalities.
AKthaBeastMar 19, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is mad underrated and James McAvoy does one of the best performances I have seen. While the plot is nothing that we have seen before, the last scene of the movie does give it a "holy **** moment when you find out that this is the sequel to Unbreakable. The movie is done well and is a unique take on a villain origin story Expand
crankyermaMar 25, 2017
Shyamalan is a gifted storyteller. There is no doubt about it. Every one of his works is reminiscent of Serling minus the latter's voice in the dialogue. But Shyamalan, despite influences still has his very own specific identity and style.Shyamalan is a gifted storyteller. There is no doubt about it. Every one of his works is reminiscent of Serling minus the latter's voice in the dialogue. But Shyamalan, despite influences still has his very own specific identity and style. That said, if Serling's work was always stories told well but sometimes stories not necessarily worth telling, the same holds true with Shyamalan. This is a fascinating and taut film that ultimately left me unfulfilled and disappointed. I'm still glad I watched it but want a bit of a rewrite. It should be said that all of the performances were stellar, McAvoy's being chief among them. I know this is the sort of role that many actors salivate over and it could have been done so absolutely over the top as to ruin the experience. James did not do that. He showed subtlety and nuance but also menace when need be. Pretty captivating performance. Expand
imthenoobSep 6, 2019
Split is beyond criminally underrated by critics. The acting is fantastic, McAvoy gives a performance very few could match. The plot keeps you interested and captured from start to finish. This is M. Night at the top of his game and it showsSplit is beyond criminally underrated by critics. The acting is fantastic, McAvoy gives a performance very few could match. The plot keeps you interested and captured from start to finish. This is M. Night at the top of his game and it shows just how good he can be when everyone at this point had essentially written him off. Expand
CineAutoctonoAug 26, 2018
"Split" was a very good movie, so much so that it made M. NIght Shymalan return to his old glory, after his terrible films. The story was very good, and if you can analyze well is better, the performance and background of characters were"Split" was a very good movie, so much so that it made M. NIght Shymalan return to his old glory, after his terrible films. The story was very good, and if you can analyze well is better, the performance and background of characters were great, especially James McAvoy, who achieved a rather complicated task, interpreting 24 characters, such as the 24 identities of his character, Kevin, but he is not the only actor that achieved to convince us, Anya Taylor-Joy with her character Casey, achieved to act very good in each situation that it presents to her and discover all his background The post-credit scene with the character of David Dunn of Unbreakable managed to be surprising, in short this film managed to ignite three flares, the emotion of the moviegoers, Shymalan's career, and a new franchise that does not soon appear in theaters, and It will fascinate us more. Expand
kyle20ellisApr 13, 2020
Tony1984Oct 23, 2018
James McAvoy shows why he is the best British actor of his generation. He makes it look easy. Unbelievably convincing in his portrayal of so many personalities. His costar Naylor-Joy does credit to herself also. That it's not gratuitous is aJames McAvoy shows why he is the best British actor of his generation. He makes it look easy. Unbelievably convincing in his portrayal of so many personalities. His costar Naylor-Joy does credit to herself also. That it's not gratuitous is a blessing and a relief. On the negative there are plot holes and narrative inconsistencies but not as glaring as most. It's low budget,austere in the mode of theatre. Character focused and riveting right up to the end. Expand
SrPepeJan 6, 2018
Si bien es media rara, el protagonista es excepcional y toda la historia macabra es genial.
Pacman79Dec 20, 2017
I just got into the cinema because there was no other choice and I'm starting to believe that the lower your expectations, the more you enjoy a movie (next time I see a Star Wars film, IF I decide to do it, I'll expect bantha poodoo and seeI just got into the cinema because there was no other choice and I'm starting to believe that the lower your expectations, the more you enjoy a movie (next time I see a Star Wars film, IF I decide to do it, I'll expect bantha poodoo and see what happens).

I won't spoil the film and just say that it's a good thriller which keeps you in your sit all the time. Give it a try and see if you enjoy it and its prequel. Sorry, no spoilers.
lucasquaresmaJan 6, 2018
Esse filme para mim foi a supresa do ano. Gostei muito! Atuação dos dois atores muito boas.
alejandro970Feb 29, 2020
The most disturbing example of mind games. The lives of three girls depend of which of 27 multiple personalities is the safest or the less dangerous. Nail-biting till last minute.
CasuallyJan 31, 2017
What sets out as a claustrophobic, psychological thriller captivates initial intrigue and crescendos with a jarring and tense Shyamalan twist. He has captured the rare beast that is a film which lives up to its hype. McAvoy is a one manWhat sets out as a claustrophobic, psychological thriller captivates initial intrigue and crescendos with a jarring and tense Shyamalan twist. He has captured the rare beast that is a film which lives up to its hype. McAvoy is a one man machine. He displays a stunning ability to seamlessly transcend all of Kevin's personas with pure sincerity and thus effortlessly avoids the obvious pitfalls of appearing rehearsed. Expand
goodbar1979Jan 18, 2018
Great ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EdoMcSwagDec 30, 2017
M Nights best film in a decade.

suspenseful is the perfect word to describe the movie. just watch it. don't read the reviews, its a psychological thriller with a marvelous performance by John Macavoi
JPKJul 11, 2019
Great Film
Split is a movie with a terrific performance from James McAvoy and a chilling script.
BITESCREENJun 21, 2017
Endlich: Nach einer gefühlten Ewigkeit kehrt Mystery-Meister M. Night Shyamalan zu fast alter Stärke zurück: Split ist sein vielleicht bester Film seit Unbreakable – auch wenn der Psychothriller eine völlig andere Richtung einschlägt: EinEndlich: Nach einer gefühlten Ewigkeit kehrt Mystery-Meister M. Night Shyamalan zu fast alter Stärke zurück: Split ist sein vielleicht bester Film seit Unbreakable – auch wenn der Psychothriller eine völlig andere Richtung einschlägt: Ein schizophrener Glatzkopf (James McAvoy) entführt drei Teenager und sperrt sie mit vorerst unbekanntem Ziel in eine ungemütliche Kellerwohnung. Fortan kümmern sich seine 23 Persönlichkeiten kindlich, mütterlich oder völlig zwangsneurotisch um die leicht bekleideten Schreihälse. Kein Alter-Ego ist dabei wirklich durchgeknallt – aber die Mischung macht’s! So suchen die unfreiwilligen Untermieter bald verzweifelt nach einem Ausweg – denn ein vierundzwanzigster Kopfgeist namens Bestie kratzt schon an der Tür. Split ist durch sein klaustrophobisches 10 Cloverfield Lane-Setting, einen wirklich unheimlichen McAvoy und die ständige Suche nach Antworten ein ziemlich spannender Gruselspaß – auch wenn die Story etwas bekannt klingt, Shyamalan etwas zu bemüht falsche Fährten legt und auf weiblicher Seite nur The Witch Darstellerin-Anya Taylor Joy überzeugt. Expand
CoreGamer1408May 6, 2019
Didn't really know where this one was going and that kind of kept the interest up. Then the ending hit and oh boy was it good one. It really put all the mysterious pieces in place really.
gtwistNov 26, 2017
Shyamalan is back with an extremely intense thriller with a performance by James McAvoy that was so good, that he should win an oscar for it. It's very well shot and directed, and the ending was fantastic. The first 20 minutes, however, wereShyamalan is back with an extremely intense thriller with a performance by James McAvoy that was so good, that he should win an oscar for it. It's very well shot and directed, and the ending was fantastic. The first 20 minutes, however, were a bit messy, and the two other girls who were kidnaped got on my nerves. However, Anya Taylor-Joy was also fantastic in this movie. Expand
merijnjFeb 21, 2018
(78/100)
Great tension! Thrown right into the action with the kidnapping and discover more about the characters while they are slowly getting more and more terrified of what is happening.
RaduAJan 12, 2019
One of the best thrillers (that I've watched) ... the story, the acting, everything was very good.
LivingTribunalFeb 1, 2019
It's creepy but it's not like any other horror movies. McAvoy did the best acting that was needed. There are parts that I didn't like but manageable. I think it was brilliant to use the same theme from Unbreakable.
Morty_McFlayNov 19, 2019
This comes across as a controversial statement to many, but I truly believe that Split is Shyamalan’s best film. The most obvious praise you can give this movie is for McAvoy’s performance, and... yeah. He’s amazing. He delivers a performanceThis comes across as a controversial statement to many, but I truly believe that Split is Shyamalan’s best film. The most obvious praise you can give this movie is for McAvoy’s performance, and... yeah. He’s amazing. He delivers a performance that’s expressive and entertaining enough to appeal to casual viewers, but also has enough nuance and depth to be a legitimate contender for an Academy Award (much like Heath Ledger’s performance as the Joker). Actually, the same could be said for the whole movie. We all know how far downhill M. Night’s career went, but Split proves that this man does have considerable talent as a writer-director. Expand
GrantD243Jan 22, 2019
Split is a great thriller in which James McAvoy is just downright incredible. It's a wild ride that ends with the twist that connects it to Unbreakable, and sets up Glass. I think this one is the best of the trilogy.
Vitor007Jan 11, 2019
James McAvoy can show that he knows how to interpret personalities in a unique way, with a high quality. The film is complicated in some points of the story, failing to explore more the universe that was presented, being only focused (most ofJames McAvoy can show that he knows how to interpret personalities in a unique way, with a high quality. The film is complicated in some points of the story, failing to explore more the universe that was presented, being only focused (most of the time) in the presentation of its main character. Despite not exploring other avenues, Kevin manages to overcome Elijah and David easily. The curiosity to see the classic "Unbrekable" join with "Split" is big, however, for it to be a good junction, one needs to study each of the films with a great subtlety. 8.3/10 Expand
ErikTheCriticOct 11, 2018
McAvoy truly gives an absolutely stellar performance, playing multiple different roles, and it can be safely assumed that director M. Night Shyamalan has returned to form.
AndreDaMeaNov 25, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A good movie very well interpreted. McAvoy and Taylor-Joy interpretation were a joy to watch. Although, the special habilities that McAvoy characters presebted are here to connect with the Unbreakable movie, I believe that this makes this movie weaker. Expand