Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: December 20, 2019
1,730
1,811
Watch Now
MateusegDec 19, 2019
This movie really surprised me. I didn’t like The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi and Han Solo, so I wasn’t expecting so much from this last one. But the Rise of Skywalker is a very good movie ! Much better than I was expecting ! The actionThis movie really surprised me. I didn’t like The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi and Han Solo, so I wasn’t expecting so much from this last one. But the Rise of Skywalker is a very good movie ! Much better than I was expecting ! The action scenes are great, the lightsaber fights are awesome and the characters are way more likable in this movie than the previous ones ! Expand
BruskyDec 25, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I came in with piss poor expectations because I read the leaks. Yeah they’re all true. But for whatever reason, TROS didn't leave me with as bad of a taste in my mouth as TLJ did. Maybe it's the details that aren't outlined in the leaks. Maybe it's the erasure of a lot of TLJ's mistakes. Or maybe the chemistry the cast has built up for each other shone through. Or all of the above. Whatever it was, I came out of the theater feeling better than I expected. I would say TROS sticks the landing, but breaks its foot in the process. It’s not a movie without flaws, and it has many, but it's acceptable on its own. But in terms of the final piece of the 9 part Skywalker saga, it does a bad job of wrapping things up.

The Good: John Williams kicks butt, as always. He really makes you feel more intimate with the scenes. The graphics are amazing as well -- a staple of any modern Star Wars film. Ian McDiarmid knocks his role out of the park and really gives you a haunted house monster kind of feeling. More on him later though. In terms of narrative, TROS tries to undo a lot of the damage caused by TLJ, so you can really think of this as a sequel to TFA. Rey being related to somebody we know, or clarifying that Luke was actually doing something important on Ach-To was something that needed to happen, in my book. TFA drew our attention to those possibilities on purpose only for TLJ to throw them away without any payoff. So at least we get some answers to things we were forced to pay attention to early on. TROS treats the characters we know and love with more respect than TLJ. Luke is still dead, but he's more or less back to normal and makes subtle jabs at his own poor portrayal in TLJ. Finn actually gets stuff done for once without referencing his mopping skills or being the butt of a joke. These are just a few things that I believe were much needed corrections, in my opinion. However, the execution of some of these things aren't done well and end up harming the movie.

The Bad: The movie has a lot of issues. And many are universe-breaking issues. Pacing is **horrible** during the first half of the movie. There was just too much information crammed into one movie, many of it involved giving hand wavy explanations to things shot down in TLJ, then moving along before you can think about it. If they weren't going to do it well, they should have left it alone. Rezzing Palpatine was clearly a hail mary that I wish they explained, because right now it undercuts Vader’s sacrifice. Rey's lineage reveal was expected, but had no buildup because it's clear Palpatine was never considered for this story until recently. Subsequently, Rey choosing to be a Skywalker fell flat and I don't agree with it, considering she had parents who cared about her and she barely knows the Skywalkers outside of 1 year with Leia. They should have either left her a Palpatine or made her an actual Skywalker from the start -- don't sit on the fence. The love story with Rey and Ben is also pretty cringe, considering he tried to kill her multiple times and I just feel like it’s a very toxic dynamic that has no business being on screen. Force heal and resurrection is a can of worms they should have left in video games, in my opinion, because it breaks the universe in a similar way hyperspace ramming did. And lastly, I thought the Final Order had a convenient weakness that betrays how menacing those ISD’s appeared to be.

In summary, I think this is may be the best movie of the ST, but this isn't saying much. It's not an *obvious*, beat by beat rip off of the OT like TFA was. And it isn't mean-spirited to the audience like TLJ was. Abrams didn't really have anywhere to go, considering where TLJ left off. But Abrams did too much, too poorly. The ST as a whole is, without a doubt, worse than the prequels. 1) There's no overall story connecting all 3 movies together, so it's a very disjointed experience in terms of tone and narration. 2) To varying degrees, all three movies reused the plots of each of the OT movies, so there's a lack of creativity. 3) This trilogy is basically Rian Johnson and JJ Abrams undoing each other and the audience pays for it, further enraging an already divided fanbase. These failures fall squarely on Disney’s shoulders for a lack of leadership and vision. I'm just glad the Skywalker story can finally rest in peace. Our old friends have been abused for long enough. Now that the curtain is closed, it's clear George Lucas is really the only one who can do Star Wars right. His prequels had issues, but they had a soul. They had imagination, creativity and daring. These new movies don't have any of that.
Oz_MomotaroJan 6, 2020
An almost impossible movie to review as it seeks to pull together the completely disjoint trilogy with the previous 6 movies. It's a fun enough adventure romp - ala Indiana Jones without the charismatic lead. You simply have to go with theAn almost impossible movie to review as it seeks to pull together the completely disjoint trilogy with the previous 6 movies. It's a fun enough adventure romp - ala Indiana Jones without the charismatic lead. You simply have to go with the underlying premise that much of the previous 2 movies are just bait-and-switch nonsense, with the Emperor's return not being overly menacing or meaningful... but they had to have someone. Much of the movie is just action-for-action-sake, and you don't really get much conclusion that sticks the landing. The Reylo story line would have been better if it had had the whole movie to coalesce, but instead as they are trying to fit 2 movies into 2h20m they skip over a lot of the interesting plot developments. And there could have been some great story-beats to the movie - if Palpatine had been introduced earlier, and not left as a 'in-case-of-emergency' device. Also, while Driver and Ridley do a great job with what they've got, there's little substance to their twists and turns. Space horses has a Canto Bight feel to it as well, and I was half expecting to see Darth Maul make an appearance. There's a good movie here, but it's handicapped by a 3 movie mess. Expand
NickDangerXJan 6, 2020
This movie was a thrilling and exciting end to the Skywalker saga. It was everything about Star Wars that I love. Honestly, after the beautifully shot train wreck of a script that was TLJ I’m surprised this was so good. JJ pulled a miracle.
13freedom13Jan 6, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this is a veryawesome star wars movie the fact that rey is a palpatine hansolo is in it and ben solo dies i love it the best of the trilogy Expand
Cannon9Dec 24, 2019
Honestly this is the best movie of the trilogy (which is not saying much I know). But after the disaster that The Last Jedi left, I think JJ Abrahams managed to salvage a lot.

There are plotholes and several scenes felt rushed. But here is

There are plotholes and several scenes felt rushed. But here is the thing: it feels like a Star Wars film. Maybe with 20 extra minutes, the movie would be better since there were a lot to retcon
AlexanderLuthorDec 24, 2019
While their are some technical issues with the film, it is overall a very exciting film and offered a heartfelt conclusion to the Saga. Given the issues Abrams faced after Johnson's pitiful Episode 8, we all knew that it'd be difficult toWhile their are some technical issues with the film, it is overall a very exciting film and offered a heartfelt conclusion to the Saga. Given the issues Abrams faced after Johnson's pitiful Episode 8, we all knew that it'd be difficult to square the circle in Episode 9. Expand
Josephpaz321Jan 1, 2020
I enjoyed this movie and i think this is the best movie in this new trilogy
PeterParker2479Jan 1, 2020
I will acknowledge that this movie has pretty bad elements such as Palpatine’s role, rubbish jokes, and that dreaded “Rey Skywalker” ending, but I can’t say that I dislike the film. It’s still a fun, well paced space adventure. As a Star WarsI will acknowledge that this movie has pretty bad elements such as Palpatine’s role, rubbish jokes, and that dreaded “Rey Skywalker” ending, but I can’t say that I dislike the film. It’s still a fun, well paced space adventure. As a Star Wars film, it’s fine, as a sci-fi film, it’s fine. I’m not gonna act like I don’t understand the criticisms, but I feel that the criticisms are a bit harsh. I’m mixed on this film as a sequel, but I’m fine with it as a movie. Expand
jrneihartJan 8, 2020
Don’t believe the negative reviews! JJ Abrams did a fantastic job sending Star Wars off for the final time.
TheGamerGirlDec 22, 2019
I've been a Star Wars fan for already over thirty years, and I enjoyed this movie. I went in a bit scared because I did not care for The Last Jedi at all (it basically did nothing to advance a story, just killed Luke), but I'm so happy to seeI've been a Star Wars fan for already over thirty years, and I enjoyed this movie. I went in a bit scared because I did not care for The Last Jedi at all (it basically did nothing to advance a story, just killed Luke), but I'm so happy to see that J.J. was able to put something good together here.
He ignored a few things from Last Jedi, took jabs at others, and continued the story as he envisioned it starting in The Force Awakens.
I think this is a fine ending to the Skywalker Saga.
It is by no means a perfect movie, and there were some things I did not like, but honestly, the positive very much outweighs the negative. Rey was more of a likable character, Kylo Ren was absolutely epic, Finn and Poe were back to their amazing chemistry and banter... I did not mind Palpatine being back at all, either. Altogether a great movie, and worthy ending.
Much better than The Last Jedi, and that in itself is a big relief!
Age_AtomicDec 29, 2019
I thought it was decent. I know it's a trend to bash the new Star Wars trilogy, but if you enjoyed the other 2 you'll enjoy this. If you didn't enjoy the other 2 you're probably forgetting how bad some of the the other Star Wars stuff is.
dreamcaster40Dec 21, 2019
Loved it!
I didn't like the last Jedi and thought the force awakens was okay. This movie definitely struggles to fit so much into it but I loved it.
The action is fantastic, the music is wonderful and the movie itself looks incredible.
Jamez03Dec 21, 2019
This movie actually kinda surprised me. Did not love the last movie, so that may be why I found this one to be quite enjoyable. It is by no means a perfect movie, there are a lot of story inconsistencies throughout the film, and just thisThis movie actually kinda surprised me. Did not love the last movie, so that may be why I found this one to be quite enjoyable. It is by no means a perfect movie, there are a lot of story inconsistencies throughout the film, and just this trilogy in general. But, once I stopped to think about it, I did end up liking this movie over all. Expand
JamesAHallDec 23, 2019
If you loved Last Jedi, you probably won't like this movie. If however you left last Jedi thinking WTF did I just watch (as I did), well this movie tries to rectify that.

Rise Of Skywalker isn't perfect. It has several silly/cheesy

Rise Of Skywalker isn't perfect. It has several silly/cheesy moments, and some other parts you have to just kind of accept even though they don't make a ton of sense. A lot of people have complained that the pacing is really rushed, and that it true. But in the end, it is an enjoyable film with some beautiful visuals, and a few emotional moments that actually hit home quite a bit harder than I expected they would. Anyone saying this is the worst Star Wars film ever has a personal axe to grind. It's definitely not the worst or the best. It's an enjoyable, flawed, film that is worth seeing to make up your own mind.
LikeonionsDec 29, 2019
The cast is terrific. Unlike The Last Jedi, there is not a weak performance in this movie. Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver have done some of the best acting in the whole saga for this trilogy. Also unlike The Last Jedi, the new characters addedThe cast is terrific. Unlike The Last Jedi, there is not a weak performance in this movie. Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver have done some of the best acting in the whole saga for this trilogy. Also unlike The Last Jedi, the new characters added in this film, General Pryde, Zori Bliss, and Jannah, are actually good. Ian McDiarmid gives a performance very much like in the second half of Revenge of the Sith, and I loved it. The film moves very fast and it is easy to miss important pieces of dialogue on your first viewing. C3PO gets a more significant role than he's had since 1977, which was wonderful. There will probably be people that don't realize that Carrie Fisher died before the making of this film. She was well handled, especially given the situation.
The plot of this film is an attempt to make a sequel to The Last Jedi, which did certain things you shouldn't do in you middle act of a trilogy. JJ decided to bring back Palpatine, which on paper frankly sounds ridiculous and fan-servicey but he managed to make it work.
I would call this movie a beautiful mess. It is flawed, but given the setup of The Last Jedi and the fact JJ had 3 fewer months to make it vs The Force Awakens, I think he probably did the best he could, and I really like it.
There is a lot of hate for the new trilogy, not unlike the prequels. There's an old saying that no one hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans. Sometimes I think that's true.
KnightGarciaDec 29, 2019
The film isn’t perfect, there was no road map. Palpatine was essentially used as a means of ease explanation. However, the cast does a great job of handling what they were given. And the overall ending of the Skywalker Saga is okay, just likeThe film isn’t perfect, there was no road map. Palpatine was essentially used as a means of ease explanation. However, the cast does a great job of handling what they were given. And the overall ending of the Skywalker Saga is okay, just like it’s beginning. Yes, there is a lot of fan service in the film, but that doesn’t really make it a bad movie.
I think that if you’re only a StarWars movie fan you probably won’t like this movie. If you’re a true fan that has watched all the films and tv shows and knows a thing or two about the comics, then you’ll like this.
AJMODec 23, 2019
I was one of those who really disliked The Last Jedi, so my expectations were pretty low here. I know this movie is getting a lot of deserved flak for its plot and pacing, and I would agree that this is all valid complaints and one I share.I was one of those who really disliked The Last Jedi, so my expectations were pretty low here. I know this movie is getting a lot of deserved flak for its plot and pacing, and I would agree that this is all valid complaints and one I share. However, it wasn't enough to make me not like the film. Action was great, actually interested in the title characters for the first time, and the scenes with Laia/Ben were very strong. This isn't going to be on my favorite Star Wars movie list, but it was still enjoyable for what it could do. Let's face it, this whole trilogy was buggered from the start. Expand
Ruffy3012Dec 24, 2019
Der Film schließt eine Saga die ich als sehr Wertvoll empfinde, desweiteren ist der Film in sich schlüssig mit kleinen schwächen trotzdem gebe ich ihm 09/10.
Sehr sehenswert.
DubeauDec 24, 2019
Episode 9 is a good conclusion to many things of the past films. This story goes back to Darth Plagueis. The story is good but in many ways, predictable. I did like the arc of Rey and Ben. The FX are amazing like in many SW movies. I thoughEpisode 9 is a good conclusion to many things of the past films. This story goes back to Darth Plagueis. The story is good but in many ways, predictable. I did like the arc of Rey and Ben. The FX are amazing like in many SW movies. I though the laser saber fights were average in terms combat filming. There were a couple of nice surprises. The ending is in a dark murky planet that render the air and ground fights into a dark blue coloring. I found that choice visually horrible, especially when you put 3D into account. The acting is very good. The soundtrack is engaging. I give it a 75%. I think the ending visuals were a deception. Good film but not that great in certain areas. Expand
GamingPizzaBoyDec 25, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While I wasn’t too excited to see Palpatine back and Ben dead, I still had a good time watching this movie. Seeing that scene with Han and Ben, the Force ghosts of Luke, the voices of all the past Jedi and all of the Star fighters really just made it so emotional. I was ok with The Force Awakens and wasn’t to happy with TLJ but i definitely wasn’t disappointed from this and I’m happy how it ended for the saga and i’m looking forward to the future on what the Star Wars Universe brings. Expand
MustacheMonocleDec 25, 2019
The pacing is a bit quick, and for a 2 hour 20 minute movie, ten minutes more to slow down a few key moments would have helped a lot. Otherwise this is really well made ending for such a lasting saga. Can’t imagine a better ending for theThe pacing is a bit quick, and for a 2 hour 20 minute movie, ten minutes more to slow down a few key moments would have helped a lot. Otherwise this is really well made ending for such a lasting saga. Can’t imagine a better ending for the newest trilogy and it’s a worth while ending to cap off a 42 year long epic. Expand
Clem_FandangoDec 30, 2019
Thanks to a talentless director and f..kwit Bob Igor, this movie not only manages to completely ruin the new trilogy, but also everything that came before it and what is still to come. This film was an insult to anybodys Intelligence, evenThanks to a talentless director and f..kwit Bob Igor, this movie not only manages to completely ruin the new trilogy, but also everything that came before it and what is still to come. This film was an insult to anybodys Intelligence, even for the those in denial giving this more than one point. Star wars had so much potential after The Last Jedi but j.j. managed to destroy every character arc possible. Rey could have been so much more but is reduced to being a Palpatine. Leia is a horrible mother (knows her son will fall one day and does s...t-all to prevent it). Luke, once a legend, now just a hypocritical d..k. Rose -wasted. Hux - wasted. Lando - why? kylo Ren - sadly wasted. The action was so bad and meaningless and poorly edited. Bad idea after bad idea. The icing on the cake was when Chewie finally got his medal. It felt like the film was taking one big dump on me, the audience and the franchise just before the credits thankfully rolled up. Expand
JoedavidsonDec 30, 2019
Pacing - 7.5 - had an upbeat feel just like Episode 7
Energy of film - 8 - they did a great job of bringing the characters to life one last time
Pacing - 7.5 - had an upbeat feel just like Episode 7
Storyline - 7.5 some good little twists and a satisfying end Can't help but feel a bit uncomfortable with Number 8 - such a mess that really put a sour taste in the mouth for number 9. This said - congrats to JJ Abrams for pulling this together and making it run as smooth as possible . Very nice work. A 7.5 from me. Not average, but above average, unfortunately not amazing but that said there are some real gem moments. I recommend this movie. 7.5
DanehbJan 1, 2020
Was entertaining. Script was a bit forced. Visuals were great. 777777777777
DiptanshuDec 23, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Many plot holes yet great entertainer first half was quite ok but 2nd half was just out of the tatooine!Really awesome conclusion for 40 years of leagacy can be better!the time ren becomes ben i was thrilled!great to see all old charecters including harrison ford!just amazing movie! Expand
VG_AlexDec 23, 2019
As a last episode of new Star wars,It's not good enough,Skywalker was the most important part in Star Wars histories,Even the narrative is mediocre but I take it,LightSaber and the Space fight is good enough for me,Hope the new Star WarsAs a last episode of new Star wars,It's not good enough,Skywalker was the most important part in Star Wars histories,Even the narrative is mediocre but I take it,LightSaber and the Space fight is good enough for me,Hope the new Star Wars movie will come soon.

7.0 Fine
GLADIADORDec 23, 2019
Filme ok, mas é muito longo, o alivio comico não funciona e tem uma cena tipo nada a ver, vale pela nostalgia e por alguns momentos interessante
DraelDec 23, 2019
Real character depth and development unlike either of the two previous instalments. Rey is a real human being, she shows range, isn't wooden. Finn and Poe aren't mere side characters. Kylo shines. The plot is truncated, wobbly but honestlyReal character depth and development unlike either of the two previous instalments. Rey is a real human being, she shows range, isn't wooden. Finn and Poe aren't mere side characters. Kylo shines. The plot is truncated, wobbly but honestly this is an improvement over the previous two films. It's more SW than either TFA or TLJ. It's not amazing, or anything, just decent despite it's overly quick plotting (which can be forgiven due to the need to overcome missteps in the last jedi) Expand
UponamikanoDec 23, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ходил на фильм с другом один из первых в России. И могу сказать, что это достойное кино, с некоторыми изъянами! Завершение саги, которая длилась более 40 лет... Звучит очень серьезно и ответственно! И по моему мнению, нельзя было Абрамсу доверять снимать такой фильм. В фильме мне все нравится, кроме диалогов и режиссуры! Вот зачем было вставлять момент, где в эпилоге фильма Финн со своей новой подругой скачут на лошади по кораблю. Этому фильму не хватило серьезности, везде какой то сумбур: то весело, то мрачно. Мне очень понравилась 7 часть Звездных Войн, так что мешало Абрамсу перенять настроение своего фильма? И самое тупое, это как Рей подходила к тому, что ее дед Палпатин. В 7 части мы узнали, что Кайло Рен сын Леи и Хана Соло, и узнали мы об этом без особого фанатизма! Все было идеально, Абрамс все очень круто продумал, а в 9 части так сделать почему то не смог :(
Теперь о хорошем. Мне понравился сюжет, актерская игра, графика, и больше всего мне зашли способности Рей! Какая же она имбовая! Я считаю, что Абрамс мог справиться намного лучше и профессиональнее! Хотя бы сделать фильм серьезным, а не посмешищем! А еще Абрамс мог лучше сделать финальную битву. Он мог представить хотя бы 10 известных нам джедаев в виде призраков силы, которые дрались бы плечом к плечу с Рей против Палпатина! Представьте как круто было бы увидеть Йоду, Люка, Оби Вана, Магистра Винду, и других крутых джедаев из 1, 2 и 3 частей! Но вместо этого мы услышали какие то голоса и финальный бой, который длился 8 минут! Это позор! В итоге поставлю рейтинг 6.5, потому что это нельзя назвать очень плохим кино, приятные момент в фильме присутствуют и их много!
UlringDec 25, 2019
I thought it was good. Could have been better if JJ did not have to do some damage control from the last movie. Movie felt too fast past at times. Almost like they were trying to cram too much content.
KnightKingDec 25, 2019
This movie is a 6.5/10 but I rounded up. It felt like a cross between Return of the Jedi and Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. The Rey and Kylo Ren dynamic is the strongest part of the movie. Finn and Poe's bromance didn't work for me, bothThis movie is a 6.5/10 but I rounded up. It felt like a cross between Return of the Jedi and Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. The Rey and Kylo Ren dynamic is the strongest part of the movie. Finn and Poe's bromance didn't work for me, both actors need to dial it down with the enthusiasm. Palpatine's involvement just felt like a safe choice, but it somewhat negates the events of the OT. At the end of the day it's a fun adventure that may have been trying to do too much in this movie but didn't contribute much to the saga that we haven't already seen before. The Luke and Leia treatment were fantastic. Lando was great. Nice to see Chewie, R2, and C-3P0 have more to do in this movie as well. All in all it's a fun fast paced movie that was in damage control that required it to draw from the past to fix current issues. They close the saga out successfully, but ultimately fail to capture anything fresh with this sequel trilogy due to poor planning which rests on the shoulders of Kathleen Kennedy. Expand
GittoploDec 26, 2019
Just came out of IMAX Waterloo. You know what? I enjoyed it. Heard so much negativity beforehand that I seriously didn't know what to expect. It wasn't bad at all but it wasn't great. Why didn't JJ Abrams do all three films? Really poorJust came out of IMAX Waterloo. You know what? I enjoyed it. Heard so much negativity beforehand that I seriously didn't know what to expect. It wasn't bad at all but it wasn't great. Why didn't JJ Abrams do all three films? Really poor planning.

First half is very exhilarating, so much happens - maybe too much - and there are quite a few crucial reveals. I have one major gripe - SPOILERS!!!!!!!!! They should have kept the Emperor as a spirit, in line with many past Sith lords in the canon. Him being alive and then fully coming back critically devalues the original trilogy imo. Devalues what Vader did. Final showdown should have been longer and more epic. But I loved the Sith planet and all the minions there. Best location so far in the series. SPOILERS END. Plus, not a big fan of some Disney flavoured kiddie stuff but it is what it is.

Apart from that it was a decent ending to the series. The final trilogy that felt a little bit unnecessary in retrospect. But for what it is, I give it 7.5. I hope they do Exar Kun or Darth Revan trilogy next.
brettjhamiltonJan 6, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was always going to be a tough crowd pleaser!
Rise of Skywalker doesn't have the best story, plot, script or depth that you associate with the original (or even ironically now- the prequal era) movies. Is it the worst star wars film I've seen? No (episode 8). JJ did the best he could to rectify episode 8 and a lot.of gaps in the plot have been filled, just unfortunately with lack of true depth. I think he probably did the best he could given the mess he inherited. Disney- don't change directors with totally different vision half way through a trilogy!! Is it worth seeing? Yes, a couple times maybe- which for star wars is sad.
dilemmaJan 9, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm going to give it an 9. From an entertaining aspect, that's where it belongs. It's action pack, a lot of cinematography, and great star wars lore.

From a hardcore star wars fan, it clearly missed the shot with many people. Aiming to please more than just your average viewer. From the awkward kiss between Rey and Ren (Wow similar names) to the death of Lia, to the way they handle Luke a lot questionable decision.

My biggest issue with it, is lack of originality. I felt like this whole trilogy, was more of a remake of episode 4,5,6.

It's a story about a protagonist journey to bring balance to the force (Luke = Rey). A message was given by a leader (Obi Wan + R2D2 = Lia + BB), and a villain, with family ties, trying to stop them (Darth Vader + Luke = Palatine + Rey) I felt like they were writers/director was too scared to develop their own story. P.S. I wasn't quite sure why everyone had to die either..
cadonomgoJan 9, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best film since the original trilogy. Ties everything together for a definitive end of the story. Expand
DUBBLEJan 11, 2020
He's not as bad as everyone says!
I liked him and I think he concludes the trilogy well. The script is the weak point of the film but it's still acceptable and everything else is worthwhile.
leroy_jDec 19, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There were some really great moments, but there were also some really dumb moments. My main problem were the plot holes and the retconning of what I felt was the most important message of The Last Jedi, that the force can spring up anywhere. That you don’t have to be from a special family to be strong with the force. Expand
JonathanLarkinDec 22, 2019
This movie is nowhere near as bad as the ratings suggest. I get it, many fans are unhappy, particularly with the 'Disney takeover' and JJ Abrams involvement but I'm not seeing much objective comment here. I've followed the saga fron theThis movie is nowhere near as bad as the ratings suggest. I get it, many fans are unhappy, particularly with the 'Disney takeover' and JJ Abrams involvement but I'm not seeing much objective comment here. I've followed the saga fron the start, saw A New Hope as an 8 year old, and obviously am a fair bit older now. In my book, only episode IV and V are truly great movies, the rest are patchy, with some of the prequels being truly poor. Has anyone seen Revenge Of The Sith recently? Now THATS garbage, the key movie in the saga ruined. Through that lens, ROTS is way better. Kylo and Rey's arcs actually do have some emotional weight. Some of the planet sequences are breathtaking - saber battle in a raging sea? Epic. There were some fun moments too, actual humor and some good character additions (that little Baba guy was hilarious).
Yes there is some fan service going on here, Abrams was trying to go back to first principles and produce something that honours the better parts of the saga. Ok, there are some dumb moments but it's nowhere near as dumb as TLJ.
Lastly, I was lucky enough to watch this with my own 8 year old, who also loves star wars and I must admit to having a lump in my throat in the final scenes. Anyway, he loved the film, and for me that's the only review I'd give any weight to.
veshchesDec 22, 2019
Not great but I did not hate it. It feels like the story from a video game. The writers seem to have made a list of all the fan complaints from Reddit and attempted to make amends one-by-one. It is like a whole trilogy in one movie. I thinkNot great but I did not hate it. It feels like the story from a video game. The writers seem to have made a list of all the fan complaints from Reddit and attempted to make amends one-by-one. It is like a whole trilogy in one movie. I think if they had been working toward this ending for all three movies it would have had a lot more impact. Expand
cbmakDec 21, 2019
Not really sure why everyone is giving this film such a hard time, I thought it was excellent. I saw this today with my wife and two children (aged 13 and 7 years) and we all loved it. Myself and my wife, in our 40's, have seen all StarNot really sure why everyone is giving this film such a hard time, I thought it was excellent. I saw this today with my wife and two children (aged 13 and 7 years) and we all loved it. Myself and my wife, in our 40's, have seen all Star Wars movies from the 70's to the present, and there is no way at all that this movie was even close to the abysmal nature of the prequel trilogy of the 90's. Of the new trilogy, this was back on track taking up from The Force Awakens, and far superior to The Last Jedi. Star Wars first captured me when I was a young boy, and my son was enchanted by every moment and that is the best thing about this film - it keeps the magic for the children whilst still being satisfying for long-time fans of the series such as myself. It is a fantasy movie and you cannot take it so seriously, just let yourself be a kid again and let yourself be taken on the ride of a lifetime. Magical, enjoyable, nostalgic, feelgood and visually spectacular. Expand
Nuggetman666Dec 21, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think people need to calm down about this movie being “the worst of the saga”, acting like the train wreck known as the prequels don’t exist. In my opinion, this is just Return of the Jedi done right. I don’t blame the extremely fast pacing the first hour. J.J. Abrams had to fix the problems that Rian Johnson left with The Last Jedi. Obviously he didn’t want this movie to be a 4 hour snore fest so I’m fine with him setting up the plot very quickly, even if it is a lot to take in. Rey and Kylo’s bond remains compelling, as they try to set their differences apart to team up. People say the Emperor’s return is stupid but if Darth Maul can get sliced in half, fall into an endless pit and still survive then I’m fine with the Emperor living. A problem I had with TLJ was the completely unnecessary side plot that wasted Finn’s character. I’m glad that every part of the plot in this movie felt like it actually mattered and wasn’t just there for filler purposes. Another problem I had with TLJ was Snoke’s death. We never learned anything about the character, despite being built up in TFA as the second coming of the emperor. I am a little more satisfied knowing that Snoke was nothing more than a pawn of the Emperor because it means we don’t need character development for him. While this movie’s plot feels recycled from ROTJ, I am perfectly okay with it. They took out all of the unnecessary parts from that movie and put the good parts into this movie. There is a lot of plot convenience such as the new droid knowing the Emperors location, Rey being able to heal people with the force (although at this point, I’m convinced that the force can solve every problem) and the ships coming at the exact time when Poe loses all hope. However I can’t deny that this story had me captivated, the action kept me on the edge of my seat and it was the best possible way Abrams could’ve ended this trilogy and saga. Each character arc felt complete except for Finn, who never told Rey that he’s force sensitive. Then again, everyone was completely fine with Leia being force sensitive and not doing anything with it in ROTJ so I’m going to let this slide. I will say that this movie is incomparable to A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back but it still stands on its own as a good movie and a good conclusion to the end of this trilogy and the saga. Expand
LeePierceDec 21, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It wasn’t terrible. There were a lot of big moments, first two acts felt like they were dragging(gotta get that plot out of the way before the “pew-pew-pew,” you know?), a few big reveals... Leia got a hell of a lot more screen time than I had expected... I can’t wait to see James Dean in the next Fast and Furious movie. You could tell it was a JJ Abrams movie, though. I counted four “we’re in this together!” and “if we can’t live together, we’re gonna die alone!” speeches and I kept expecting Palpatine to turn into the Smoke Monster from Lost. That would have been something. Expand
Naz34Dec 22, 2019
I am baffled by half of the critical/audience reaction because this is exactly the ending, I predicted.

This epic franchise deserves a better score and I hope it receives Oscar nominations. I do not understand the hate given that the plot elements perfectly correlate what was indicated in the previous two films as well as the cast making it clear where it was ending in various interviews. Read between the lines.

I wasn't surprised by anything in the film and the themes of redemption are powerful. Long live BB8. We do get to see more character screen time for the trio.
TatoncaDec 22, 2019
Everything it needed to be and more! Great fun, many touch points to previous films and expanded universe. Feels the most integrated into the greater pantheon of heros. A resounding triumphant return to form. I enjoyed this film very much
Unbiased_CriticDec 29, 2019
Do yourselves a favour and pay no mind to the critics, This movie is great. There are some awesome effects, great dialogue, the jokes are dialed down from episode VIII, are nicely placed and most are epic or borderline so. Episode IX deservesDo yourselves a favour and pay no mind to the critics, This movie is great. There are some awesome effects, great dialogue, the jokes are dialed down from episode VIII, are nicely placed and most are epic or borderline so. Episode IX deserves so much more love and none of the hate it’s getting now. The only criticisms I would level at it are the pace is hurried and this trilogy was held back by the empire as villains. The former is because JJ Abrams had very little to work with from the previous instalment and he had to build all the impactful moments within the confines of IX and who knows the why of the latter?

Kind of wish the gambler had made an appearance..
boot20Dec 31, 2019
Reading the reviews here, you'd think this movie was as bad as Alone in the Dark or Rambo: Last Blood. The truth is far different. While it isn't a perfect movie, it is a fun romp and provides us more Star Wars. I quite enjoyed the movie.Reading the reviews here, you'd think this movie was as bad as Alone in the Dark or Rambo: Last Blood. The truth is far different. While it isn't a perfect movie, it is a fun romp and provides us more Star Wars. I quite enjoyed the movie. I'm not sure what movie the people here saw, but this was a fun movie. Let's start with the first few minutes, it's just so quintessentially Star Wars, that you are brought right into the Galaxy far far away immediately. The story is good, Rey, Kylo, Poe, Finn, and all the characters have satisfying character arcs. The story wraps up nicely and through the whole thing it feels like Star Wars. Expand
Chance80Dec 19, 2019
This movie feels like they put combined everything that was set for 8 and 9 together and they just didn't have enough time. While the story and what they were trying to do was good the pace felt too quick with the beginning being veryThis movie feels like they put combined everything that was set for 8 and 9 together and they just didn't have enough time. While the story and what they were trying to do was good the pace felt too quick with the beginning being very crunched for time. All in all it was a pretty great movie. Expand
aljirik1992Dec 19, 2019
Джедай однажды... Ситх навсегда! (Звёздные войны: Скайуокер. Восход)

Джедай однажды... Ситх навсегда! (Звёздные войны: Скайуокер. Восход)

Джей-Джей Абрамс ловко сложил из всех фанатских теорий цельный эпизод, разве что сам не сыграл Джа Джа Бинкса, который является самым главным злодеем саги по конспирологии вселенной SW, оставив огромный пласт для развития историй между восьмёркой и девяткой на откуп "Disney+". При этом складывается впечатление, что источником для идейности ленты стал трек группы КАСТА "На порядок выше", где стратегии в повествовании фильм придерживается чётко, стараясь всячески быть самостоятельным, обходя все восемь картин до, в попытках работать на максимальную аудиторию и не забывать при этом свои корни. На вопрос который заботит больше всего невероятно уставших от мира Звёздных Войн "Ставится ли точка в конце?", предельного ответа так и не получит ни кто, ведь в последних пяти минутах всё наследие Лукаса, хоть и зарывается под землю, но утвердительный возглас главной героини, что пронзает пространство, аккуратно включая свой световой меч, так же бережно вырисовывает восклицательный знак.
joeysilverDec 20, 2019
You can easily tell that they were trying to repair bad storytelling in the last two movies with more bad storytelling. It feels cobbled together and the pacing is incredibly rushed.
BovineDeathDec 22, 2019
Yes, it had to fix some of TLJ's bizarre plot twists, but this is the best of the Disney Star Wars movies after Rogue One. I can't wait to watch it again and cannot be friends with anyone who prefers TLJ over this.

This is a great Star Wars

This is a great Star Wars movie, made for the fans by a fan.
BeardedYodaDec 19, 2019
This film has many, many problems, especially when it comes to pacing. However, I can not deny how much I enjoyed watching it. It really is a fun film to me and I recommend that movie goers, especially Star Wars fans, go see it to form theirThis film has many, many problems, especially when it comes to pacing. However, I can not deny how much I enjoyed watching it. It really is a fun film to me and I recommend that movie goers, especially Star Wars fans, go see it to form their own opinion on it. Expand
holiday1021Dec 19, 2019
Felt rushed and had some flaws - despite that I enjoyed the film. Was no where near perfect but was also a far cry from the death cries the Reviewers are putting out.

Was enjoyable overall and despite some issues I would have changed, it did

Was enjoyable overall and despite some issues I would have changed, it did the best job it could and I also enjoyed all the actors as they did a fine job, too.
wouter66Dec 21, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A lot of things i wanted to see happend: holocrons, cool force powers, epic battles, sith planet, force ghosts, young luke and leia, restores mistakes of TLJ. But the movie is crowded, sometimes illogical. Expand
DRSTINKBOMBDec 21, 2019
I loved the movie from start to finish. A perfect ending to the story I've been enjoying for a lifetime. Epic.
MovieVillainDec 21, 2019
Fantastic job JJ Abrams. Definitely fixed the sinking ship of Starwars. After the iceberg of a movie Rian Johnson directed.
GottsDec 21, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My only complaint is that anakin and Ben weren’t in the final scene to complete the full family. Expand
Sebseb123Dec 22, 2019
A really enjoyable blockbuster with plenty of star wars in it. Charming, funny and epic. Some people didn't like where this new saga took the old characters, but this is in no way a bad film or a disgrace against star wars. Best one sinceA really enjoyable blockbuster with plenty of star wars in it. Charming, funny and epic. Some people didn't like where this new saga took the old characters, but this is in no way a bad film or a disgrace against star wars. Best one since ROTJ in my humble opinion. Anyways, stop reading these and go see it for yourself, make up your own mind about it. This new review culture is poison for enjoyment. Expand
DarkWolfHeartDec 22, 2019
I thought this movie was just fine. Much better than TLJ. A few stupid things but enjoyable adventure.
marcmyworksDec 24, 2019
Not the best or worst in the series and has a lot going for it. The only thing that is bothersome about this film is it does feel a bit reductive and the big reveals happen in the middle, rather than a build up towards the end.
U_WANT_REVIEWDec 28, 2019
I truly enjoyed this movie. The wild highjinks and characters were very well done and the story ended perfectly. What do people want? Rey was amazing. I read some of these reviews afterwards and just don’t understand, I must be easy to please.
gzayas91Dec 29, 2019
Very good finale of the film series, not perfect one, but totally passable.
Stallion2086Dec 29, 2019
Beautiful, touching, emotional movie with fantastic plot and characters! The fighting scenes and CGI effects were absolutely fantastic! The Rise of Skywalker is a brilliant movie and don't listen to the fanboys. This is one of the best StarBeautiful, touching, emotional movie with fantastic plot and characters! The fighting scenes and CGI effects were absolutely fantastic! The Rise of Skywalker is a brilliant movie and don't listen to the fanboys. This is one of the best Star Wars movies every created! From me it gets 9/10. Expand
Chrisysanc18Dec 29, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great movie.....love it........huge fan of star wars ......................................... Expand
MrDog3Dec 31, 2019
A satisfying end to the Saga we all love, but we all love it from a different reason.
Abrams bought us a satisfying and somewhat lovely ending, but as Luke said “No one’s ever really gone”, if you did not like it then don't accept it as the ending of the Star Wars, but you shouldn't hate it just becuase it is new. It does not matter that you loved the original trilogy, or the prequels, or the new one, there is one common in everyone, we all LOVE Star Wars.
glommanDec 31, 2019
I personally think that Star Wars IX is a solid movie with great special effects, as usual, and an alright story that tries to tie together every Episode of Star Wars so far, it doesn't really lead to a satisfying ending, most interestingI personally think that Star Wars IX is a solid movie with great special effects, as usual, and an alright story that tries to tie together every Episode of Star Wars so far, it doesn't really lead to a satisfying ending, most interesting characters are wasted in my opinion, but at least you'll get a fun and semi-exciting 2 hours out of this. Expand
erikscanonOTDec 19, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nostalgia. Done right.

First and foremost, if you're an older fan of Star Wars, the insignificant parts of this movie will move you, and maybe more so than what Disney intended for the "all-encompassing" story that you're supposed to focus on. But, that's okay, and that's what "I" and most certainly "you" need. With that being said, I only have two things to say.

1. When Rey arrives on Ahch-To and you see Kylo's fighter burning, you KNOW the only way for her to leave is to fly "Red V" that has been sitting under water for years, as seen in TLJ. Then, the moment you see Luke raising it from the water, it just pulls your heart strings. I cried like the little kid I was. It brought back 5 year old me sitting in front of a square, curved SD TV watching The Empire Strikes Back in 1995. Oh, how I rooted for Luke like the hero he would become while realizing that his failure to raise the X-Wing made him human like me. It made him relatable and it made me root for him even more because "we" were witnessing his growth together. But, when we saw Yoda peacefully raise the X-Wing and say, "That is why you fail", it established a presence in Luke. It made him realize that ANYTHING WAS POSSIBLE. It was a turning point, for us, and him. Because of this, when Luke raised his X-Wing for Rey, it was a passing of the torch and it was done wonderfully. I sobbed.

2. Lastly, is this the greatest Star Wars movie ever made? Not at all, but it doesn't have to be. This movie does exactly what it should have done. It combined nostalgia, fan service, and a new story into a complex, yet wonderful ending that no one should be ashamed of. It is as if I am at peace now. At peace from having waited so long to see the end of this story. It could have been done better, but that's not the point. You need to watch this movie with the same mindset as when you watched the original trilogy. When you do, you can relax. It's a Star Wars movie after all. Be a kid and relish it.
DamoclesDec 19, 2019
There was a lot to recover and fix due to The Last Jedi. However having to makeup for the last film and deliver the final, JJ pulled it off. There is a lesbian kiss to appease the feminazi crowd the last film was made for, but the entiretyThere was a lot to recover and fix due to The Last Jedi. However having to makeup for the last film and deliver the final, JJ pulled it off. There is a lesbian kiss to appease the feminazi crowd the last film was made for, but the entirety of the film was for its fans. Expand
ToxicParasiteDec 20, 2019
Llore en muchas escenas, sobre todo en las de Rey. Igualmente en el desenlace no llegué emocionarme, incluso hubo dos giros de guión que se podían predecir. En general es bastante entretenida, y algunos momentos rozan la épica.

I cried in

I cried in many scenes, especially in Rey's. Also in the outcome I did not get excited, there were even two script twists that could be predicted.
OldManRussDec 20, 2019
Not the best, not bad. But when you have to follow up the last mess, what can you do? C+/B- for salvaging it so it wasn't a complete mess. Biggest cons is that it was a little all over the place. Too many plot lines make it feel chaotic. TheNot the best, not bad. But when you have to follow up the last mess, what can you do? C+/B- for salvaging it so it wasn't a complete mess. Biggest cons is that it was a little all over the place. Too many plot lines make it feel chaotic. The action was entertaining but the ending was a bit silly. Expand
arollerDec 20, 2019
This movie is being dragged through the mud for what seems to be no actual cinematic reasons because of just how sensitive the subject is. What I saw in the theater last night, along with countless fans everywhere, was not a flop of a movie.This movie is being dragged through the mud for what seems to be no actual cinematic reasons because of just how sensitive the subject is. What I saw in the theater last night, along with countless fans everywhere, was not a flop of a movie. It was a movie that was the essence of Star Wars. With amazing fan service that warmed the nostalgia in my heart, powerful visuals that made for wonderful light-saber duels, and a sweeping sense of "we're all in this together" paired with the importance of family lines.

What this movie did lack wasn't nearly as extreme as others are making it in their click-bait reviews stating "worst movie ever made". It was a bit rushed, missing some background for side-plots, and lacking a tiny bit in the artistry of cinema; all of which can be explained... The Last Jedi was exactly flip-flopped last year of who was happy with it. Critics loved it but fans hated it. Take a look at the reviews. I loved it for what it was and although there were some unexplained force aspects, isn't that the joy of Star Wars and movies in general: the mystery. Not everything needs a manual on why it's possible especially when we're talking about the force, light-speed, and other made-up components. What TLJ lacked in these plot points and force explanation, it made up for in such a beautiful display of artistic scenes. Although I loved TLJ, it didn't setup the finale very well which caused it to be a little too fast-paced. I would have loved to hear more about Leia's journey in TFA or TLJ so it wasn't such a quick scene here. I would have loved more blatant artistry (ie. Red Room) in Rise of Skywalker, but Abrams used Rey and Kylo's "Force-time" chats and water fight scenes for artistry instead.

Let's be clear, the mistake here was deciding not to have one director for all 3 or even both of them for all 3. The struggle we're seeing is a struggle of directorial difference, not one of good movie vs. bad movie. I hate that movies like this are ruined by people who have their checklist of 100 things they need to happen to be please. Just go to movies and enjoy them for what they are. Not to say there aren't bad movies, because let's not forget Playmobil came out with a movie, but there is certainly a movie here that is being placed critically below Jumanji 2 and Zombieland 2. Get your **** together reviewers and critics.
tonywar93Dec 20, 2019
This review is not an easy one for me, especially since I struggled with finding something good about the movie. I had to watch it twice in order to realize what my impressions actually are about it.

On my first watch, the movie left me

On my first watch, the movie left me mostly impassible while the story rolled in such a convoluted and disjointed way. The opening crawl left me off guard with its unbelievably awful plot twist reveal (though the trailers had hinted at the return of an important character); the action lacked any sense of danger and gravitas, as if it was all a walk in the park; some characters were severely mishandled and the one major revelation felt like a joke.

On my second watch, maybe due to the resignation, I managed to enjoy the movie more. I could easily move past the jarring parts and let the show ride me through the emotional roller coaster offered. Thanks to this, I was able to uncover the positive aspects of the production.

This movie works thanks to the three main characters, whom we see all together in the same frame for the first time. If more of this trio was shown in the previous installments, their scenes together would have more emotional impact. This movie works for the confrontations between Rey and Kylo, their connection and the way the Force is used in those moments (I actually loved this aspect). This movie works also for Kylo Ren, his performance and the choice he makes.

Nevertheless, the fact the movie is constantly trying to patch up what was done in Episode VIII (pointlessly, imo) and that there was no plan since the beginning on how the story was going to unfold, bogs down the tone and pace of the movie. The repeated action setpieces of the past movies is also something we could have done without.

Overall, this movie as well as the whole sequel trilogy feels like a missed opportunity for exploring new characters, new worlds and new situations. The excessive fan-service, the lack of originality (or guts?) and the absence of a clear direction is what dooms to oblivion big sagas like this one.

I give this score not just to the movie, which still manages to deliver his pure, child-like intentions, but to the whole sequel trilogy, in the hope Lucasfilm and Disney will find the strength to dare and plan.
SchlueDec 21, 2019
This was a good ending to a long story of the Skywalker's. I found it to be a fun movie to tie the loose ends together, yes it had things that weren't explained and at times it felt rushed. But over all it hit home as a starwars movie.
theBushnaDec 21, 2019
This movie was a blast to watch! Starts off slow & picks up leading to a grand finale for the saga. The ending feels like a satisfying wrap up for the trilogy and Skywalker saga as a whole. While mileage may vary with regards to opinionsThis movie was a blast to watch! Starts off slow & picks up leading to a grand finale for the saga. The ending feels like a satisfying wrap up for the trilogy and Skywalker saga as a whole. While mileage may vary with regards to opinions regarding story decisions, I know myself and others personally enjoyed this fun Star Wars story to its conclusion. Expand
JohnMCouchDec 21, 2019
I am looking at this movie as if the last one didn't exist, because you can technically discount 90% of The Last Jedi, only watch about 20 minutes of it, and it would tie in just fine with this one. I think JJ delivered the best he could andI am looking at this movie as if the last one didn't exist, because you can technically discount 90% of The Last Jedi, only watch about 20 minutes of it, and it would tie in just fine with this one. I think JJ delivered the best he could and it was actually really enjoyable. I loved how he dissed Rian about 20 times, and he answered all the questions without any inclusion of current political landscape. I do wish there was more back story on the Emperor, i.e how he survived, but in the other than that, I thought it was good. Rey's back story explained. Ben Solo finally comes home. The old characters get some tribute paid to them. Them finally got the respect they deserved. I loved how Lea was trained as a Jedi. Great job saving the franchise JJ. Expand
midnightsunartDec 21, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was always going to be a tough task to finish off the sequel trilogy and the overall Star Wars saga but I think JJ Abrams did a very good job. The film looks fantastic, with some amazing scenes and great performances, especially from Driver and Ridley. I liked how the film drops us straight into the reveal of Palpatine's return and Ren initially wanting to destroy him. The film feels fast paced, action packed and covers a lot of ground. Sure it's not perfect, but it's the best film we were going to get after the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney and is better than the ideas George Lucas had for the sequels, though some of the better ideas actually did make it into these sequels, with some modifications that actually improve them while omitting terrible ideas like the midichlorians and the Whills and the microbiotic world Lucas wanted to explore further. Full respect to George Lucas for creating Star Wars and the original trilogy but the prequels were a massive disappointment. The Force Awakens and The Rise of Skywalker on the other hand are very enjoyable and capture the feeling of the original and The Empire Strikes Back. The Last Jedi is the worst of the three, but the last third of that film is decent. The Rise of Skywalker attempts and mostly succeeds in bridging the ideas of the sequels with the established story from the original trilogy and even the prequels, bringing back the Emperor, who is also a pivotal part of the entire storyline. My only complaint is there was no real explanation as to how he returned, but the line 'The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural' covers it enough. The Rise of Skywalker is an entertaining film that answers most of the questions raised in previous instalments. Some will like the answers, others may not. Expand
RelikkDec 22, 2019
I'm glad there are numerous middle finger salutes to the self-indulgent bilge that was Rian Johnson's nonsensical and dreadful screenplay. There were numerous directions the characters could have taken in that movie while still respectingI'm glad there are numerous middle finger salutes to the self-indulgent bilge that was Rian Johnson's nonsensical and dreadful screenplay. There were numerous directions the characters could have taken in that movie while still respecting them and their history in the Star Wars universe. At it's heart, that was its main problem because anybody that disliked the movie simply didn't buy-in to the decisions or choices that those characters made as they were utterly ridiculous. Not to mention its infantile and inappropriate humour. Its only saving graces were the cinematography and the interactions between Ren and Rey. The rest is all codswallop.

IX has its problems, sure, the story beats are familiar and the ending could have done with some work, but mainly its final act is tightly crammed and hasn't got much room to breathe. What wouldn't when its left to tie and clean up the utter mess its predecessor left, but its also satisfying and very entertaining at the same time. The performances from the main cast are excellent, the score is wonderful and the callbacks are handled beautifully, it's visually spectacular and probably one of the very best looking Star Wars movies so far and it has some good humour in the right places and with proper context. The same Ren and Rey interactions are great again, and the scenes that feature Rey, Finn, Poe and Chewie when they are working together the movie is a treat. I went into this thinking the worst after the reviews of the past few days and was pleasantly surprised and it deserves a hell of a lot more credit than what is currently being thrown at it by critics.
bfoore90Dec 22, 2019
Could have been alot better, but it's a fitting conclusion nonetheless to the much talked-about and highly anticipated Star Wars sequel trilogy.

Final grade: 7.6/10
derekwoodsDec 19, 2019
A fantastically fun ride. Borrow some elements from the larger Star Wars universe that may feel foreign to the cinematic universe, but overall a well executed end to a big story.
fredexxdemonDec 20, 2019
To the people who was born with the first 3 movies. You do not own it.

To the people who was born with the first 3 movies. You do not own it.

This film manage to make up for some of the things that the last movie failed at or left behind. It gives satisfying answers, epic fight scenes and space battels. It gives a feel of reedem and an awesome movie, while the power level can at times seem a bit over the top, its not so much that it ruin the film. If you watch it with an open mind, you are in for a dosen good suprises.
HuaDec 19, 2019
Was it the perfect conclusion I had dreamt it would be? Not quite. But that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the ride and have fun with it. Overall, I liked the previous two films better, but this one had a lot of great, emotional moments. Kylo &Was it the perfect conclusion I had dreamt it would be? Not quite. But that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the ride and have fun with it. Overall, I liked the previous two films better, but this one had a lot of great, emotional moments. Kylo & Rey (Adam Driver & Daisy Ridley) were the standouts (their stories/arcs were the most interesting). But ultimately, it felt like we had too much to set up and wrap up in a little over two hours, which made the end result not as satisfying as it could've been. Expand
JPT1992Dec 19, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Honestly as a Star Wars fan this nailed it the way J.J. brought back iconic characters is what you wanna see. The fight scene on the old Death Star was fantastic plus more near the end Expand
skywalker333Dec 20, 2019
It is far from perfect. The breakneck speed of the pace and action scenes is causing whiplash and if you sit down and think (which the movie doesn't allow you to with this speed), many things become too easy to deconstruct and fall apart.
It
It screams like this was 2 movies in one and perhaps it is as it is a clear effort to cover all the errors and plotholes and weirdness of Last Jedi.

But it is also the first movie in the new trilogy that feels like Star Wars. Many aliens, other civilizations, colourful planets (and not a National Geographic photoshop), a lot of travel and exploration. And the fan service, while on the thick side, this is what should be expected when you are closing 40y of cinematic history. Most of it is nice and you enjoy it. I was particularly pleased with the humor which finally hit the right SW note. No idiotic Mama jokes and Marvel awkwardness, just small subtle moments that work so much better.

Lastly, I am very happy with the way to see the return of the Emperor. It was a clear (and first!) love letter to the hardcore fans as it is preety much a tribute to the expanded universe and what was considered cannon for almost 30 years.

All in all, while not perfect, this was the only movie in the new trilogy that I came out with a smile and not puzzled (TFA) or distressed (TLJ), and for that, I am happy.
d0vla11Dec 20, 2019
Definitely better than 'The Last Jedi'. Even though the plot feels rushed (because the previous did not have a proper story at all) and the film featuring some cringy scenes, it still delivers in the end.

Fight scenes were good, music of

Fight scenes were good, music of course, camera work too.
There were also some good twists and powerful scenes with Rey and Ben.

You should see it.
ArielVadrixer31Dec 21, 2019
I really loved the movie. A a star wars fan I really appreciated how they fixed the mistakes made in the last Jedi. This film marks the conclusion of a saga that marked my childhood and teenhood, with a great and epic ending for the saga.
bpcatchpoleDec 22, 2019
Having grown up with Star Wars films all my life, I have to say that this film was absolaurely fantastic. Very emotional and a fantastic way to tie up all the issues that the last Jedi threw at us. So so happy with it!!
RaansuDec 19, 2019
Pacing is a bit too fast, but the movie covers everything necessary of the main plot, fills it with a tinge of fan service and plenty of action and ends with a satisfying ending. Most of the people spamming 0's are just troll reviews and fakePacing is a bit too fast, but the movie covers everything necessary of the main plot, fills it with a tinge of fan service and plenty of action and ends with a satisfying ending. Most of the people spamming 0's are just troll reviews and fake new accounts Expand
TestTrakDec 19, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is a fun Star Wars movie. I'm not gonna jump on the hate train because it wasn't perfect as the movie is a ruched version of JJ's episode 8 and 9 crammed together. That being said he did a good job turning 2 movies into one to give what I think is a solid conclusion to this era of Star Wars.
On a technical level the movie is beautiful no one can deny that. It has amazing audio mixing and that perfect Star Wars Willams score and kept a fast pace throughout. I really enjoyed this movie and had a fun time with it, which when it comes to blockbuster movies like the Star Wars franchise, entertainment is what they need to deliver on. And deliver it did.
sooners11Dec 20, 2019
TROS is definitely an improvement over TLJ.

The actors have better chemistry and more well-written characters. The plot is just "okay" and propped up with a lot of spectacle and action - think the final battle from Aquaman. I could nitpick
TROS is definitely an improvement over TLJ.

I could nitpick some aspects of the film, but really this film suffers from 1) following TLJ, and 2) being part of a trilogy that was started without any real plan.

Overall, I had fun and was entertained.

Don't go in expecting Endgame, and you should be happy. Or, if you hated TLJ, you'll likely enjoy this one.
RangerdavDec 20, 2019
What is wrong with people??? Blinded by nostalgia I suppose. This movie was hands down a 10 out 10... up there with the best of Star Wars films. Please watch it without being automatically cynical ... I LOVED IT!
Logan45Dec 20, 2019
If you were hoping this would be better than "Last Jedi", well it is! A lot of great scenes, some great fighting scenes and some emotional scenes. Adam driver is one of the best actors to ever play a villain. Everything I wanted from a starIf you were hoping this would be better than "Last Jedi", well it is! A lot of great scenes, some great fighting scenes and some emotional scenes. Adam driver is one of the best actors to ever play a villain. Everything I wanted from a star wars movie was in this one Expand
CKhoundDec 21, 2019
This has everything that you could want in a Star Wars movie. It takes everything that was bad, and was poorly written in the first two movies, and actually gives us something that is satisfying. The sith are actually something to be fearedThis has everything that you could want in a Star Wars movie. It takes everything that was bad, and was poorly written in the first two movies, and actually gives us something that is satisfying. The sith are actually something to be feared again, the jedi aren't hermits who have no convincing story, the conflict feels much more like a conflict. This is easily the best of the three main line Disney Star Wars movies. Expand
MarcvelascoDec 19, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Loved the end of the saga, less happy with how some characters just got tossed like rose and hux, but epic visuals, and epic tie into the emperor. Loved loved loved hearing the voices of all the jedi during the final battle. Expand
ThecreechDec 19, 2019
Awesome story to wrap up the ending. Seems like the studio quit on it money and good filming wise compared to other films but the ratings on here are just stupid
Fluid_DynamicsDec 19, 2019
I think people want to hate the final movie too badly. Because of some of the prior movies, there’s now a segment of the fan base going in subconsciously and sometimes consciously scanning the entire film for what they screwed up. It’sI think people want to hate the final movie too badly. Because of some of the prior movies, there’s now a segment of the fan base going in subconsciously and sometimes consciously scanning the entire film for what they screwed up. It’s Disney’s problem that they disappointed us in some of the prior movies, it’s now our fault if we stroll in with this degree of confirmation bias. I think over time people will discover what a monumental accomplishment it was to tie all of this together without over doing it even more. This movie crams in an incredible amount and in our opinion is better than every episode except episode 4-6. It’s dense and rushed, but it’s fun. There’s a lot buried in here to enjoy in future viewing or an extended edition that gives it more time, which will be pretty cool. Expand
Nickian26Dec 19, 2019
The Rise of Skywalker is a solid film. Far from perfect, but close to great overall. The editing is choppy, and the character development for the supporting cast was the weakest link. But the heart of the film, driven by its main cast, shoneThe Rise of Skywalker is a solid film. Far from perfect, but close to great overall. The editing is choppy, and the character development for the supporting cast was the weakest link. But the heart of the film, driven by its main cast, shone throughout. Daisy Ridley, John Boyega both our in fantastic performances. And then there’s Adam Driver, who owned the stage and was mesmerizing in several scenes. The fan service (mostly) fun. And, chiefly, certain decisions, especially at the end, may seem cheesy or out of left field on the face of it. But really there was a deeper resonance to these moments that I fear may not be appreciated, at least how I saw them. There was a message that may be missed by your initial gut reaction. In the end, the film satisfyingly closed the chapter of the Skywalker saga. It tied things off in ways that left me positively nostalgic. The good greatly outlays the somewhat disappointing. And most importantly, the heart was always there. Expand
wilco64256Dec 20, 2019
After everything the trilogy of trilogies has been through it's just unrealistic to think anybody could have made something that was going to please everyone. This was about as close as it ever could have possible come to perfect and I wasAfter everything the trilogy of trilogies has been through it's just unrealistic to think anybody could have made something that was going to please everyone. This was about as close as it ever could have possible come to perfect and I was entirely happy with it from beginning to end. Expand
Moemoe1Dec 19, 2019
Great movie didn’t see a thing wrong with it good movie to cap off the series
ShaunDavidKingDec 19, 2019
I'm giving this film a 10 just because it gave a huge middle finger to Last Jedi.
BlockLamBearDec 20, 2019
I am shocked at the abyssal scores people are giving this film. Ryan Johnson completely got rid of all the Force Awakens plot points, re-wrote and restarted the story in the middle and left Abrams with a monumental pile of trash to make senseI am shocked at the abyssal scores people are giving this film. Ryan Johnson completely got rid of all the Force Awakens plot points, re-wrote and restarted the story in the middle and left Abrams with a monumental pile of trash to make sense of within a single movie. JJ Abrams pulled off the impossible with The Rise of Skywalker and made a surprisingly enjoyable film to watch from the hot mess he was given. Of course its rushed, of course its a mess of trying to tie things together. It had to be since Disney swapped directors right in the middle who clearly couldn't agree on a script. I came in with the lowest of expectations and was pleasantly surprised that it was a fun watch with many questions answered. I was shocked Abrams could even make something so enjoyable from hot garbage. Its far from perfect as a film but its definitely the best anyone could have done with the pieces given. The best description I can give is its as if Abrams was given two parallel universes to try and tie together into one, and the end result was overall messy but impressive. The cinematography is great, the action is fantastic. Much of the story finally makes sense. It really just left me wishing that Abrams had direction over the second film as everything would have had more time to be tied together and less rushed. All in all, I'd highly recommend the movie to anyone who wants a good action film in the Star Wars universe. Expand